Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)   Posted by Kitau.Group: 0
Kitau
 Player, 16 posts
Wed 29 May 2013
at 23:09
Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau simply nods.  Mits shrugs.

"I wasn't expecting them to be willing to lend support either, but now that you point out all those complications maybe it would be better to just deal with this problem with only the support Kitau's friends offer."

Kitau leads the group to the temple in the western wall.  ((Location 5))

5. Temple of Hidden Light
This small shrine dedicated to Erathis, goddess of law and
civilization, has been established in the Hall. The Mages
of Saruun have left the place mostly unmolested, but they
do require the priest to provide a share of her tithes to
them. Inhabitants of the Hall often stop by to drop a few
coins in the coffers and say a prayer before setting out into
the Labyrinth or beyond. The priest Phaledra tends to the
shrine.
Phaledra can perform the Gentle Repose and Raise
Dead rituals, and she has Discern Lies and Traveler’s Feast
on scrolls. She won’t give them away, but if the adventur-
ers help the people of the Hall, she offers the scrolls in
exchange for an offering to the shrine (equal to twice the
ritual’s component cost; see the Player’s Handbook).

Phaledra is willing to give blessings to the group but not willing to join them on their dangerous mission.

"And alas Surina is will be unavailable to help for who knows how many days.  She caught wind of a Duergar Theurge lurking about asking shady information brokers about your movements and went to hunt him down.  Framarth I think was the name."

"Oh the fairy!" Mittens chimes, clapping her hands, "Well that's actually good news."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:14, Wed 29 May 2013.

Callie
 NPC, 153 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 30 May 2013
at 16:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie looks slightly worried, "That's not something anyone should do alone. Despite how hard Mittens spanked Framarth by turning him into a fairy, it was only temporary and the last Duergar we fought that was like him was very tough for our whole team to take on. If Surina doesn't have a team, we need to track her down."
Terdisas
 GM, 531 posts
Thu 30 May 2013
at 17:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Throwing them off a tall keep after their run as a fairy only served to annoy Framarth, yes.  Jumping down after them to finish the job would not have been a good idea."   "Chirp, who knew Duergar legs were so shock absorbent?"
Kitau
 Player, 17 posts
Wed 5 Jun 2013
at 15:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mittens snickers about shock absorbent legs and conjures a picture of a Duergar with spring legs.

"She knows to gauge her enemies," Kitau says, sounding unconcerned.

She waves bye to the priestess and heads for the door.

"Nice to meetcha, Phaledra," Mits says with a wave goodbye, "Good luck with the shrine 'n stuff."

She follows Kitau's lead.

"Well here's hoping she's successful dealing with Framarth.  Save us the trouble of fighting him again."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:26, Wed 05 June 2013.

Callie
 NPC, 155 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 8 Jun 2013
at 06:29
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie giggles from the spring-legged image. Then says to Kitau, "If you say she'll be OK, Kitau, I believe you."

Callie is sure to give a blessing of her own to Phaledra.
As does Dido.

As Kitau continues to lead the way, Callie says, "Mr Deepgem is all that's left, right? Wonder what he's up to..."
Terdisas
 GM, 538 posts
Fri 14 Jun 2013
at 00:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Chirp, Ale and Wenches, unaware the violently judgmental are soon to be upon him... Wait, no, that's Glumgold."  "I thought he cut that out after the incident with his wife and the crossbow."
Placeholder
Tue 18 Jun 2013
at 15:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Posting all the module junk now.  Will post IC junk later.


Two large stone friezes in the shape of stern dwarf faces
adorn the facade of this expertly carved series of chambers.
The Deepgem Company deals in gems and precious
metals, as well as fine arms and armor. The company buys
gold, gemstones, and other valuables from Thunderspire’s
many prospectors. Deepgem caravans depart every week
for Silvershield Hold, after providing a cut of their profits
to the Mages of Saruun.

Ulthand Deepgem, an old dwarf cleric of Moradin and
former adventurer, runs the business. He despises the
duergar and avoids dealing with them except in extreme
circumstances (such as when the Mages of Saruun require
it). In addition to Ulthand, five other dwarves live in this
outpost. The company also employs a dozen miners, several
mule drivers, and other laborers, most of whom live in
the Pigeonholes.

Hook: Find the Boar
A few days ago, one of Ulthand’s mining teams was
viciously slaughtered. Ulthand’s dear pet, a dire boar that
he personally trained as a mount and beast of burden, had
accompanied the team that day. If the adventurers come
to know Ulthand, he asks them to recover the animal.
(Alternatively, the PCs can hear about the missing boar
and Ulthand’s reward at the Halfmoon Inn. The dwarf
suspects the boar might be alive, for the miners’ bodies
were recovered but not the boar’s. Judging from the brutality
of the attack, Ulthand believes gnolls were responsible,
though he has no idea where to find them.
Quest XP: 175 XP (minor quest), and Ulthand offers a
100 gp gem for the recovery of the animal.
Mittens
 GM, 425 posts
Wed 19 Jun 2013
at 08:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits shrugs.  "While I may not approve of alcoholism or lasciviousness, I think myself capable of reserving my 'violent judgmental' for the super evil murder death cultists, poison bearded demonic kidnappers, and various other villains who try to incinerate, dismember, or otherwise turn my friends into paste.  Besides.  If Kitau says I can count him as an ally, that's good enough for me."

Kitau introduces the dwarf to everyone who welcomes them and gives them some praise for their heroics so far.
Callie
 NPC, 156 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 02:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
In response to Superbird, Dido says, "We all agree with what Mittens said. Besides... as a follower of Moradin, far be it from me to judge someone for drinking."

Callie says, "Nothing wrong with wenches.. though I can't say I approve in cheating on your spouse.... in most cases."

When introduced to Deepgem, Callie gives a curtsey. "Thank you for your kind words."

Dido says, "Wish I came prepared with a gift to honor our meeting. Instead, I will offer to share merry tales with you when we have avenged your miners and returned with your boar."

Callie smiles at Dido then looks back at Deepgem. "Believe me when I say I long for pleasantries... it oft seems like one fight after another with only sleep between. So my friends and I will try our best to be back sooner than later."
Terdisas
 GM, 541 posts
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 07:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I am getting incredibly tired of being shot at by beards.  Alas, I somehow doubt we have not seen the end of that."  Boar huh?  Sounded not as inconvenient as it probably was in reality.  "I do not suppose you have any insight to how we could make the boar cooperative in returning with complete strangers?"
Mittens
 GM, 426 posts
Sat 22 Jun 2013
at 01:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Throw him some food," the Dwarf answers, "If he's not in a cage and running about, try and rope him.  Outside that, just let your ranger work her magic."

He nods at Kitau who skews her lips.

"Ranger?" Mits echoes in some surprise, "Here I was assuming berserker.  Do you have skill in handling animals?"

Kitau shakes her head.

"Uh... in that case maybe your human would be your best negotiator.  He was trained to obey Dwarves and Humans.  Gnomes, cats, and halflings less so."
Callie
 NPC, 157 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 25 Jun 2013
at 04:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido look at Terdisas. Callie looks back at Deepgem, asks for the boar's name, and once she gets it, she says, "Well unless you have any other advice, we'll be on our way."

Should the group head out, Callie says, "If we find the boar, Terdisas, we'll try calling him by name and see if he responds. If he looks at all of us without acting hostile, Dido can guide him. He's got the thickest armor in the group. But if he looks hostile towards us all, we'll see about if he acts nicer towards you."
Terdisas
 GM, 542 posts
Tue 25 Jun 2013
at 06:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Alas, Terdisas's pile of influence skills do not include Nature, or a good Wis Mod.  "I would try calling them by name if it had ever been mentioned.  Hopefully a firsthand view of us maiming it's captors will go further towards endearing us to it than my usual experience with animals being an actual conversation."

  "I am totally insinuating I'm much better than a boar, tweet"  "So you consider yourself a hunting pet?"  "Boars are amazing chirp."
Mittens
 GM, 427 posts
Wed 3 Jul 2013
at 02:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Steeltooth," the Dwarf answers, "His left tusk had to be repaired.  Thanks for keeping an eye out for him."

Mittens snickers.  "Reminds me of Irontooth."

Deepgem raises an eyebrow and looks over at Kitau.  She shakes her head.  "Name of a goblin.  Long story."

Mits thumbs-ups at the plan once the group is underway.

"If all else fails we could always KO it with non-lethal attacks and tie it up.  And Superbird is totally more awesome than a boar."
Callie
 NPC, 158 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 3 Jul 2013
at 20:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
With plenty of sugar in her tone, Callie says, "You're loved, Superbird. Don't ever doubt it."

Callie does what she can to lead the way, though she is sure to have Dido and Kitau help lead so that Callie won't be front lines in case of an attack. Dido switches with Kitau for who takes rear guard as they travel.

Callie says, "You really were missed, Kitau. But I'm really glad you took it easy like we asked. I hope we didn't worry you too much."

Dido says, "Heh... you surely would have been proud. I know I was. Callie pretty much took your place protecting the team from getting hurt."

Callie pshaws. "I had a little boy and then a ranger who both helped me there."
Terdisas
 GM, 543 posts
Sat 6 Jul 2013
at 02:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I suppose out of everything else, hoping that nobody of us get hurt is the most difficult of hopes.  None of you deserve injury more than others, even if some of you can deal with them better."

  "Chirp, Sorcerer of Storms and fragile bone structure."
Mittens
 GM, 428 posts
Tue 9 Jul 2013
at 02:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau nods and thumbs-ups in reply to Callie.  To Dido's statement she skews her lips and glances at Callie but makes no comment.

"Ah yes," Mits chimes in regard to the tow Kitau replacements, "Those two.  While not as angry as our favorite raging gnome, they certainly weren't lacking in aggression toward monsters."

To Terdisas's and Superbird's comments she shrugs.

"Not everyone can be an armored juggernaut, but your overwhelmingly destructive magic does its part to ensure the survival, if not the complete lack of hurt, of our friends.  I get the feeling that we've gotten powerful enough now that should we be ambushed by a couple kobold bandits they'll be defeated before they get a chance to do us any harm."

The map found on the assassins is far from perfect and following it proves to be less than certain, but the group manages to keep from getting lost in the labyrinth.  At last a side tunnel marked with demonic symbols is found, the most likely entrance for The Well of Demons seen so far.
Dido
 NPC, 88 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 9 Jul 2013
at 03:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido examines the markings. "....a good a guess as any that this is the place?"

Callie nods. "May as well poke on through. Not like we have options at the moment. Not excited about this, but at the same time, I'm anxious. The sooner we get this done, the better."

Dido says, "Well of Demons isn't the most inviting name of a place for me either. But like you said... little choice."

The two head in.
Terdisas
 GM, 544 posts
Thu 11 Jul 2013
at 00:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Taking 'the complete lack of hurt of our friends' out of context would explain the other reason Sorcerer's being a legitimate Glass Cannon was a good thing.  "Compared to our last trip, this entrance is downright subtle."
Narrator
 player, 166 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Thu 11 Jul 2013
at 04:19
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When the PCs enter the area, read:
You see a large, square chamber. Five columns, three set near the
room’s corners and two in the middle of the chamber, rise up 15
feet to the ceiling. Each column has the face of a leering, fanged
minotaur carved onto it. You notice a well in the southeastern
corner of the room, and two passages lead away, one to the east,
the other to the south.

The columns speak a few seconds after a creature enters
the room. A listener hears the message in his or her native
tongue, spoken in the deep tones of a powerful minotaur:
"Greetings, seekers of Baphomet’s boundless glory.
Those who prove unworthy of his attention
Shall be claimed forever as his slaves.
Those who prove worthy
Shall be granted power beyond mortal reckoning.
Mask, bell, blade, and tome"

The monsters attack while this message is uttered.
The PCs must make Perception checks to avoid being
surprised.
*(Mittens' illusion totally screws up this ambush...)
Perception Check
DC 21: You notice a hunched figure skulking behind one of the
columns. Seeing that it has your attention, the creature attacks.
DC 27: A pair of creatures with long arms cling to the ceiling,
hiding within narrow cracks at the top of the columns and watching
you intently. Seeing that you’ve noticed them, they attack.

*Before the group enters the room, Mittens used Spectral Image to make a decoy of herself in the center of the room.  The enemies attacked it and found to their annoyance that it's a fake!  Kitau tosses her javelin at the nearest monster but misses.

If you get a perc check higher than 21 you get to act in the surprise round.  Surprise round so far: Mits rolls above 21 perc and uses spectral image.  Ghoul and Chokers attack it.  Kitau rolls above 21 perc.  Uses ranged basic vs ghoul 2.  Miss

This message was last edited by the player at 04:36, Thu 11 July 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 545 posts
Thu 11 Jul 2013
at 05:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  You stand there like an idiot while the creatures attack yo-what do you mean you didn't fall for the millionth obvious ambush?

OOC: So, fail perc obviously.
Initiative 17.  Not even taking that potential option to reroll (since my first roll for perc was with my big init mod).  Because even with Ter's Base 18 Dex, it is physically impossible to beat an initiative of 29

Dido
 NPC, 89 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 18 Jul 2013
at 16:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
While Callie and Dido don't normally HAVE a native tongue (seeing as 4e doesn't have a Halfling language), it is still noticed by the two religious halflings that the minotaur must be using Supernal... and not just the language, but the language the way it is spoken by supernatural beings.

"By Moradin's beard..." Dido whispers in awe.

Callie is silent, preparing herself for battle. This group taken by an ambush? What Terdisas narrated should pretty much tell you the answer.


Callie Initiative: 9 (6+3)
Dido Initiative: 15 (12+3)

Narrator
 player, 167 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 04:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The two chokers skuttle across the ceiling and attack Kitau and Dido, but the little tanks manage to avoid being grabbed.  Rumble rumble krakoom!  Huge tentacles erupt from the floor below the heroes, grabbing almost everyone and crushing them with monstrous strength!

C Tentacle Flurry (standard; recharge ⚄⚅)
Close burst 2; +11 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage, and the target is
grabbed (until escape).

Hits everyone but Dido and Kitau.  Action point!

Grinding Tentacles ✦ Acid
At the start of the phalagar’s turn, any creature it is grabbing
takes 1d8 + 2 acid damage.
Threatening Reach

Crit!


Dido HP: 49-17=32
Callie HP: 42-11= 31
Mittens HP: 41-11= 30
Terdisas HP: 42-11= 31

This message was last edited by the player at 05:04, Fri 19 July 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 546 posts
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 05:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisass dislikes grabby tentacles, because it was hard to even joke about them without the ratings board readying the pitchforks and torches.

  "Right, that's enough of that."  Step one, LOUD.  D10s do not go to 11, but that's okay because his Damage mod goes to 13, a crack of thunder sending the tentacles slinking back to a further crack.

  "quick boss, overreact!"  Is that sound advice?  Either way, Terdisas snaps off a trio of ice drills down the hall, the first digging into the nearest choker while the other two fly wide, until the last makes a U turn and drives down the crevice after the tentacvles.

Standard:  Thunder Slam vs Tentacles: hits (24 Fort).  27 Thunder DMG, pushes 3 (and cancels grab on party).
Action Point
:  Ice Javelins vs Chocker 1, 2, and Tentacles:  Hits 1 (29 Ref), Miss 2, Miss Tentacles.
Daily Utility: Good Timing; Reroll vs Tentacles, Hits (22 Ref).
DMG:  22 Cold DMG.  Ongoing 5 Cold (save Ends) vs Choker 1, and Tentacles.  11 Cold DMG vs Choker 2.

Effects: Tentacles pushed back, so it's grab on party broken before it's freebie damage.  Ongoing Cold 5 (save ends) to Choker 1, Tentacles.

Choker 1 HP: 42-22= 22(-5=17)/42 (Bloodied).  Ongoing 5 Cold
Choker 2 HP: 42-11= 31/42
Tentacle HP: 142-27-22 = 93(-5=88)/142 Ongoing 5 cold

Terdisas HP: 31/42
S 6 V 10 AP 0

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:20, Fri 19 July 2013.

Dido
 NPC, 90 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 05:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Slaughter those ceiling monsters!" Dido yells as he throws his hammer at the more hurt of the two. It just clips the monster, seemingly doing nothing before returning to Dido's hand. He rushes forward and yells something draconic as he turns to face the chokers from behind them.


Standard: Throw hammer at Choker 1. Hit(17)
 dmg: 8
Move: Southbound juuuust out of choker reach.
Minor: Call of Challenge

Choker 1, Choker 2, and Phalagar are marked by dido.


Choker 1 HP: 22 - 8 = 14

This message was last edited by the player at 06:11, Fri 19 July 2013.

Narrator
 player, 169 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 05:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The ghoul charges Dido and digs in with it's claws!

Dido HP: 32 - 7 = 25 immobilized, SE.
Mittens
 GM, 433 posts
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 05:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits rushes around the corner to hide from the ceiling chokers then sneak attack fire magic attack!

Choker 1 HP: 14-12=2
Choker 2 HP: 31-12=19
Ghoul HP: 63-12=51
Phalagar HP: 93-12=81
All taking ongoing 5 fire!

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:11, Fri 19 July 2013.

Kitau
 Player, 18 posts
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 06:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau steps forward, tossing her javelin upward to skewer the burning, freezing choker overhead.  The javelin returns her hand.

Choker 2 HP: 19-11=8

This message was last edited by the player at 06:13, Fri 19 July 2013.

Callie
 NPC, 159 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 06:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie shoots white fire from her symbol at one of the chokers, steps forward and says, "Be healed, everyone!" even as the choker falls from the ceiling to the floor unconscious, Callie glows and heals everyone. This is different from the one she can only do once per day, though.


Move: forward 2
Minor: Moon Touched.
 Everyone heals for 6 hp.
Standard: Sacred Flame v Choker 2. Hit(16)!
 dmg: 8
 Dido granted a save throw. Save: 16!

DIDO IS NO LONGER IMMOBILIZED!


Choker 2 HP: 8 - 8 = KO!
Callie HP: 31 + 6 = 37
Dido HP: 25 + 6 = 31
Kitau HP: 45 + 6 = Unchanged
Mittens HP: 30 + 6 = 36
Terdisas HP: 31 + 6 =
37

Narrator
 player, 172 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 06:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The two burning chokers fall from the ceiling and hit the ground, shattering into thousands of burning frozen pieces.  The phalagar then answers Dido's challenge with several tentacles bursting up from under him that attack, but the nimble paladin manages to evade them!  Several other tentacles burst up from beneath each of the heroes, threatening to attack should they be careless!  The tentacles are still fogging from Terdisas' ice, but apparently Mittens' fire went out.

This is my way of explaining threatening reach for a monster that's underground.  I ignored threatening reach earlier because Ter forced the monster back into into it's tunnel, tentacles and all.  Saved from ongoing fire
Choker 1 HP: 2-10=dead
Phalagar HP: 81-10=71

This message was last edited by the player at 06:41, Fri 19 July 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 547 posts
Fri 19 Jul 2013
at 06:46
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Thank you Callie, for keeping us all alive long enough to get things done."

  Terdisas considers his options for targets, now that his friends have ensured the climbing and grabby sorts (as opposed to the digging and grabby sort) were dealt with.  In the end, he decides to help kill faster what can probably be killed faster, who knows how many tentacles had to be slashed, frozen, burnt, etc.  Meanwhile, just one ghoul standing right there.

  ...Just one ghoul smoking slightly on it's back right there.  "Down, but unfortunately not out."
Move: Shift.
Standard: Pinning Bolt Vs Ghoul. Hits (27 Ref). 22 Lightning DMG, Knock prone, Slowed until End Of My next turn.

Effects: Ghoul Knocked Prone,  Ghoul Slowed Until End Of My Next Turn.

Ghoul HP: 51-22=  29(-5= 24)/63 (Bloodied)

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:47, Fri 19 July 2013.

Dido
 NPC, 91 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 04:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Good job!" Dido commends his team. He swings his hammer at the ghoul and whiffs.


Valorous Smite v Ghoul. Miss(13)
Rolled a 3. XD

Narrator
 player, 174 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 04:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The ghoul rolls back and forth a bit to put out the fire, springs back to it's feet, and claws Dido, once again immobilizing the paladin!

Ghoul HP: 29-5=24
Dido HP: 31-6=25 Immobilized, SE

Ghoul saves from ongoing damage
Kitau
 Player, 19 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 04:40
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau steps forward, carefully evading the tentacles, and uppercuts the ghoul with her axe!  It staggers back!

Thundertusk Boar Strike
Ghoul Hp: 24-18=6
Mittens
 GM, 436 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 04:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Super accurate Magic Missile!" Mittens exclaims, finishing off the ghoul before she takes a careful step away from the tentacle near her.

2+INT(4)+implement bonus(2)
Ghoul HP: 8-8=bonk
Callie
 NPC, 160 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 05:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Another wave of healing flows out from Callie like an aftershock and she shoots more holy fire at the Phalagar. "Could you evil types stop nailing Dido to the floor? It's not like he's gonna run away!" She then turns and blows a kiss which heals Dido good as new!


Moon Touched d8 Roll: 2
 Evens. So everyone heals for 2 and Moon Touched effect ends.
Standard: Sacred Flame v Phalagar. Hit(21)!
 dmg: 10
 Dido gets a save throw: 16 saves!
Minor: Healing Word on Dido (2d6): 7 (2+5) + 3 (healer's lore) = 10
 Dido spends a surge and gains 10 + his surge value (12) HP back. (22)

Dido is not immobilized


Phalagar HP: 71 - 10 = 61
Callie HP: 37 + 2 = 39
Dido HP: 25 + 2 + 22 = 49 exactly full*
Kitau HP: 45 + 2 = Unchanged
Mittens HP: 36 + 2 = 38
Terdisas HP: 37 + 2 =
39

* 49 was full HP at lvl 5. Taking this moment to update Dido's HP to his lvl 6 hp. He has 55 HP.

Narrator
 player, 176 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 05:14
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
More tentacle thrashing!  Dido manages to barely deflect one with his shield, but Kitau and Callie get grabbed and crushed!

Callie HP: 39-10=29 and grabbed
Kitau HP: 45-10=35 and grabbed

Terdisas
 GM, 548 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 05:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas's lucky streak (well, he did miss 2.5/3 of his daily spell) ends, as his attempt to discourage the tentacles from being all grabby on his friends harmlessly clips the things.
Move: Shift.
Standard: Dragon Frost, Rolled a 3 (13 fort).

Dido
 NPC, 92 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 05:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido steps over to the Phalagar. "Thanks for loosening me up, Callie! Take THIS, fiendish tentacles!" Dido hits it with his hammer. Doesn't seem to do much, but at least Dido seems emboldened.


Move: Shift to Phalagar
Minor: Divine Challenge on Phalagar
Standard: Strength from Valor v Phalagar. Hit(26)!
 dmg: 5
 Dido gains 5 thp.


Phalagar HP: 71 - 5 = 66

Kitau
 Player, 20 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 05:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Hack!  Slash!  Kitau severs the tentacle holding her!

Phalagar HP: 66-28=38
Mittens
 GM, 438 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 05:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Mittens tries to use beguiling strands to force the tentacle monster to let go of Callie, but it seems getting at the monster's brain through it's extremities proves too difficult for the wizard at the moment."
Callie
 NPC, 161 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 06:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie grabs the tentacle and yanks it off of her before rolling forward and holding her holy symbol out. "Fall before the might of those blessed by the gods!"

Kitau and Mittens feel awash with extra stamina while the monster seems to make a few openings as it cringes slightly.


Escape from grasp: 24 success!
Standard: Hymn of Resurgence v Phalagar. Hit(25)!
 Target takes a -2 to all defenses. Whenever an ally hits the target before the end of your next turn, the target is knocked prone.
 Each ally in blast can choose to either gain 5 temporary HP, or make a saving throw.
(Dido already has 5 thp and doesn't need a save, so this has no effect on him)


Kitau and Mittens gain 5 thp!

Narrator
 player, 177 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 06:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The tentacle monster manages to grab hold of Dido and begins squeezing!

Dido HP: 55+5thp-8=52

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:22, Sat 20 July 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 549 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 06:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas takes a safer bet shot of lightning at the Tentacles, and even then he would have missed if not for Callie's efforts.  Still, even a weaker hit from a sorcerer was definitely painful.  Not to mention the oddities of status effects, as the tentacles flop to the ground (if still holding onto Dido).  But then, it was still less confusing than trying to figure out when a Snake was prone or not.  "Thank you for the setup Callie, hopefully we can finish this before Dido get's knocked around more."
<small>Standard: Lightning Strike vs Tentacles: Hits (17 Ref) thanks to Callie.  18 DMG.

Effects: Tentacles knocked prone.

Tentacle HP: 38-18 = 20
Dido
 NPC, 93 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 06:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I know you love me and all, but you're hugging just a BIT too tight!" Dido says as he smacks the monster with his hammer.


Standard: Valiant Strike v Phalagar. Hit(22)!
 dmg: 9


Phalagar HP: 20 - 9 = 11

This message was last edited by the player at 06:37, Sat 20 July 2013.

Kitau
 Player, 21 posts
Sat 20 Jul 2013
at 06:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The ground above the main body collapses revealing a nasty maw lined with teeth!

"Super accurate Magic..."

"Rraaaargh!"

Kitau leaps down on top of the beast and cleaves it's head in three, spraying gore everywhere!  Yes, three.  Mittens relaxes and her interrupted spell just kinda berzaps one of the tentacles of the now dead monster.

"Is it just me, or is overkill the theme of this entrance?  Not that I'd want Terdisas to have done any different.  That was good timing with that spell in my estimation.  I mean more along the lines of...   wait...  did that voice really say, 'Mask, bell, blade, and tome?'  As in...  Minotaur...  Cow bell?"

Kitau just wipes the gore from her axes and armor.
Callie
 NPC, 162 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 26 Jul 2013
at 04:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie cures herself and then sits for a rest. "Rest up, everyone. If this was the welcoming committee, chances are we have a few more fights ahead. And chances are we were heard."


Callie HP: 29 + 9 + 5(d6) + 3 + (d6) = Full
Surges: 3/7 - 1 = 2/7

Kitau
 Player, 22 posts
Fri 26 Jul 2013
at 04:14
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau takes a breather

HP: 45/45 surges 7/8
Terdisas
 GM, 550 posts
Fri 26 Jul 2013
at 22:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Apparently the messages of the damned lack a certain sense of self awareness."  "Tweet, what overkill?  Things need to be hit that hard to get the job done at all, chirp."

OOC: Hmm, 39 out of 42 hitpoints...  While some characters would go from there, Terdisas has been knocked to 1 hitpoint at least once per campagin so yeah.  If anything I'm lucky I only need one surge, thanks Callie!

Terdisas HP: 42/42 S 5/6, V 10, AP 0.

Mittens
 GM, 441 posts
Sat 27 Jul 2013
at 21:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Hmm," Mits says, looking at the entrance, "If our past experience has been any indication, I'd say we have at least another half dozen fights ahead of us.  And what I was referring to was the giant super-fast burrowing tentacle monster, ceiling crawling chokers, and an undead for good measure.  And our spanking said monsters in under 30 seconds, admittedly.  But still.  I guess I should be getting used to encountering and obliterating huge enemies with once-a-day spells first thing in the morning by now.  Granted, that was earlier today, so I guess the bronze minotaurs were breakfast, and this is lunch?"

Kitau begins to stealthily scout out the two exits.  She doesn't get far before the spectral figure of a minotaur appears among the heroes and emits a wail of rage and anguish!  Just as suddenly it vanishes.  Kitau stops and stares for a few seconds before continuing to scout ahead.  Mits blink-blinks, looks at the others, and shrugs.  Kitau returns.

"Hall to the south too dark to see.  To the east is a closed door I can't hear past."

Everyone gains 1 AP

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:24, Sat 27 July 2013.

Callie
 NPC, 163 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 1 Aug 2013
at 19:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie thinks about it. "Then let's all go down the dark hall with our light."

Dido says, "I'll take point."


Callie init: 18
Dido init: 13

This message was last edited by the player at 05:38, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 551 posts
Fri 2 Aug 2013
at 22:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I shall have to make do without then, though considering those fights the alternative may have been not staying alive long enough to use them later."

OOC: Thanks for the unfortunate but important reminder that new thread not = new day, when it comes to Day spells.  I still woulda used Ice Javelins back there even if I had remembered though cause YEESH.

EDIT: Terdisas Initiative: 20

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:36, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Kitau
 Player, 23 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 02:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau follows immediately behind Dido, weapons at the ready.  Mits nods.

"I know, right?"

She lights her staff and follows near the rear.

"Depending on how things go, I may have to insist we take an overnight break to recuperate more fully before we get to the worst part of this place.  My foe-to-fairy spell is a coin-toss for how effective it'll be, so we can't really rely on that one to save the day if we run up against a big bad."

The hall ahead bends to the right, but an off-shoot hallway to the left ends in a closed double door.  The sound of a tortured pig can be heard from beyond the door followed by the familiar giggle of hyena.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:41, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Callie
 NPC, 164 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 17:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie glances up at Mittens with a hopeful expression and says, "Let's hope that if it comes to where we need to rest, that the villains will be so polite as to simply allow us to. You know the saying crime never sleeps, right? I'd love to rest, but I don't know that we'll have such a choice."

Dido says, "And what do you mean coin toss? I remember that spell differently. It worked and it worked well. Are you saying that the spell sometimes fizzles and you can't recuperate it?"

But upon getting close enough to hear the tortured pig, Callie and Dido quiet down. Callie whispers, "Looks like we chose the right path. Maybe we CAN simply rescue the pig and leave so we can rest up."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:19, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 552 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 19:29
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I would be pleasantly surprised if it was that simple, but then that would be forgetting what we went through to get here in the first place."  The boar thing wasn't just a sidequest was it?  He has been having surprising trouble tracking their objectives between everything trying to kill them of late.
Mittens
 GM, 443 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 03:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits readies mage hand to open the door.

"So shall I open the door so we can get the violence started?"

If there aren't any objections she'll open it.
Terdisas
 GM, 553 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 03:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas snaps off a bolt of lightning the moment the doors are open.  Nailing the Hyena that comes into view right in the face while electricity arcs from it to the huntmaster right across from it.

  "Hmm, mind our right everyone.  Whatever is over there is worth shooting."  Some days, being a storm sorcerer felt more like chaos.
Suprirse action: Lightning Strike (Big Arc) vs Hyena one.  Hits.  14 Lightning DMG.  Arcs 8 to Huntmaster 1.

Hyena 1 HP: 37-14= 23/37 (Bloodied 19)
Huntmaster 1 HP: 50-8= 42/50  (Bloodied 25)

Terdisas HP: 42/42
S 5, V 11, AP 1

Callie
 NPC, 165 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 03:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie immediately shoots holy fire from her holy symbol to the hyena Terdisas just shot and Kitau feels aglow with more vigor. "Thanks for the heads-up, Terdisas!"


Standard: Sacred Flame v Hyena 1. Hit(25)!
 dmg: 6
 Kitau gains 5 thp


Kitau HP: 45 + 5thp = 50
Hyena 1 HP: 23 - 6 =
17/37 (bloodied 19)

Kitau
 Player, 24 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 03:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau charges in and hacks at the nearest hyena!

Hyena 1 HP: 17-13=4
Dido
 NPC, 94 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido charges in, his heavy armor clinking with each heavy step before he whacks the hyena across the head with his hammer!


Standard: CHAAARGE! Ardent Strike v Hyena 1. Hit(16)!
 dmg: 6 (minimum)


Hyena 1 HP: 4 - 6 = DEAD!

Narrator
 player, 180 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The walls of this chamber are covered with faded murals that
depict minotaurs in combat. The images show minotaurs fighting
each other, as well as battling demons, dwarves, humans, and
dragonborn. In all the pictures, the minotaurs lack weapons and
armor. They use their horns, teeth, and bare hands to rend their
opponents from head to toe.
A barrier of hay bales divides the room. In the northern portion
of the room, a large boar is chained to the floor inside a pen.
Arrows jut from the trapped creature, and the floor around it is
covered with splatters of blood. Hyenas encircle the pen, trying to
bite the boar. One by one, the hyenas become aware of your presence
and turn their attention in your direction.


A gnoll from the south shoots at Kitau but misses.  Then a hyena rounds the corner of the giant pig's cage and charges Dido only to slam against his shield!
Terdisas
 GM, 554 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas moves up closer to the door for a better view of the room without exposing himself to the Gnolls.  Tweet, Default plan is go. Superbird comments as the Sorcerer does indeed resort to spamming lightning strike.  Still, can't argue with the results.  Especially when it punishes enemies otherwise out of reach for the moment.
Move: duh.
Standard: L strike (Big Arc) vs Hyena 2, hits.  16 Lightning DMG.  8 DMG to Huntmaster 1.
Hyena 2 HP: 37-16= 21/37
Huntmaster 1 HP: 42-8= 34/16

Terdisas HP: 42/42
S 5, V 11, AP 1

Narrator
 player, 181 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:19
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Another arrow bounces harmlessly off Kitau's armor and another harmless charge from another hyena.

"Hmm... maybe I was being overly paranoid earlier?" Mittens comments.
Callie
 NPC, 166 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie steps forward and says, "Their pets may be easy to kill, but maybe the gnolls won't be. We'll see." and with that, she blasts Dido, Kitau, and the two hyenas with holy light. A familiar feeling Dido and Kitau are used to where their weapons feel lighter and easier to control.


Move: To door, northside.
Standard: Divine Glow v Hyena 2 and 3. Hit(18)! Hit(24)!
 dmg: 13 (Max!)
 Dido and Kitau gain +2 power bonus to attack rolls until end of Callie's next turn.


Hyena 2 HP: 21 - 13 = 8
Hyena 3 HP: 37 - 13 =
24

Mittens
 GM, 444 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Zap!"

Another hyena goes down.  Mits moves through the open doorway.

Hyena 2 HP: 8-8=0

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:00, Sat 10 Aug 2013.

Kitau
 Player, 25 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau steps over to the other hyena and slays it with apparent ease.

Hyena 3 HP: 24-34
Dido
 NPC, 95 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I've got the gnolls!" Dido yells as he charges southward, leaps up onto the barricade and smacks one of the gnolls across the muzzle! "SURRENDER! Or taste defeat!"


Move: South towards gnolls
Standard: Charge! Ardent Strike v Gnoll 2. Hit(20)!
 dmg: 7
 Gnoll 2 is divinely sanctioned by Dido


Gnoll 2 HP: 50 - 7 = 43

Narrator
 player, 182 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 04:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The hyena to the north rushes around the cage and locks it's jaws down on Kitau's face and neck!  Kitau hardly flinches.  She doesn't even bother turning invisible.  The boar struggles against the chain holding it to the floor, squealing in rage and fear!  One of the gnolls next to Dido switches to a hand axe and attacks!  It hits hard, making sparks fly from Dido's shield, but the paladin is unharmed.  Two arrows bounce harmlessly off his armor from the other two gnolls.  They snarl in frustration.

Kitau HP: 50-9=41
Terdisas
 GM, 555 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Step, zap, arc.

  If we were not more lazy, we would attempt to form a haiku about this.  Instead just have some stock footage of a zapped hyena leading to spread damage to a gnoll.
Move: duh.
Standard: L strike vs Hyena 4, hits.  11 DMG, 8 arc to Huntmaster 1.

Hyena 4 HP: 37-11= 26/37
Huntmaster 1 HP: 34-8= 26/50

Terdisas HP: 42/42
S 5, V 11, AP 1

Narrator
 player, 184 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnoll Dido challenged answers with, "Die!"

And his hand axe just bounces harmlessly off Dido's iron chest.
Callie
 NPC, 167 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Even if he obliges you, Mr Gnoll, I'll pop him back to life! You really SHOULD surrender! Can't you tell when you are hilariously outmatched?!" she isn't saying this with a taunting tone, but almost a tone of "...really? are you THAT stupid?"

With that, she uses her oversized sword to hack a leg off the hyena that's about the be beheaded by Kitau anyway.


Standard: Callie basic melee v Hyena 4. Hit(21)!
 dmg: 13


Hyena 4 HP: 26 - 13 = 13

Kitau
 Player, 26 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
In a flurry of speed, Kitau both beheads and bifurcates the hyena, flicking one of the halves into cage where the dire boar promptly begins voraciously tearing through flesh and bone!  She then backflip kicks the severed head at the gnoll that ignored Dido's threat and it whacks him in the chest with a loud thump!  She then turns and walks menacingly toward the others, covered in blood and gore!

Hyena 4 HP: 13-40=fatality!
Mittens
 GM, 445 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Oooohoo!  Epic!"

Mittens cheers.

"Speaking of hilariously outmatched...."

She runs to stand on top of the hey barricade and unleashes fiery doom upon the gnolls!

"Bwahahahahaaa!"

Gnoll 1 HP: 26-9=17
Gnoll 2 HP: 43-19=24
Gnoll 3 HP: 50-19=31
Gnoll 4 HP: 50-9=41

56 damage total...  yet somehow feels far less impressive than Kitau's 40.
Dido
 NPC, 96 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:38
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido hops down between the two gnolls. "Here! I'll try to help make this a challenge for me... here's my backside!" he faces his back to the gnoll who told him to die. Then he uppercuts the gnoll he's facing in the sternum with a loud crack! "If you pups surrender, my friend Callie can heal you up! There is still hope for you to live, even if your hope for winning is ZERO!"


Move: Shift south 1 (haha EXITING difficult terrain is fair game!)
Standard: Valorous Smite v Huntmaster 1. Hit(26)!
 dmg: 14
Minor: Call of Challenge
 Every enemy is now subject to Dido's divine sanction.


Gnoll 1 HP: 17 - 14 = 3

Narrator
 player, 185 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnolls yelp in pain!  Two shoot at Dido and start backing away.  Another abandons the attack and flee to the southeast!

This message was last edited by the player at 05:49, Sat 10 Aug 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 556 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas's streak of shooting Hyenas in the face takes a dive, as he strikes the hay instead of Gnoll behind it.  How embarrassing!
Move duh, miss duh.
Narrator
 player, 186 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 05:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The death threat gnoll backs up then runs away!
Callie
 NPC, 168 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 06:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
With a look of determination, Callie sprints, amazingly covering the entire room as she hops over the barricade like it wasn't there, then swoops past Kitau, causing a small breeze to blow Kitau's hair a little! Her reckless charge causes her to miss, but at least she's in the gnoll's faces! "By surrender, we don't mean run! We mean lay down arms and lets us tie you up!"


Move: RUN South!
Standard: Charge at RUN speed to Gnoll 1! Miss(11)

Kitau
 Player, 27 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 06:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau switches to her vanguard weapon and charges the nearest enemy, hacking it in a vulnerable spot!

gnoll 4 hp: 41-29=12
Mittens
 GM, 446 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 06:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnoll's opportunity attack against Callie fails.

Mits activates her stoneskin armor then follows suit with the reckless rushing past enemies, but this time the gnoll hits!

"Ow!  You'll bay for that!  Geehee."

Fwoosh!  Fire engulfs 2 of the fleeing gnolls!

Gnoll 1 HP: 3-15=burnt
Gnoll 3 HP: 31-15=16 and ongoing 5 fire

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:21, Sat 10 Aug 2013.

Dido
 NPC, 97 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 06:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido rushes past all the gnolls to block their path. "THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK!" he yells, blocking and weaving all the attacks the gnolls try. He blocks the farthest gnoll and growls. "I. Said. Surrender."


Move: Double move to block the enemy's path!
Intimidate check: 32! Crit!

Narrator
 player, 187 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 06:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnolls yelp and wimper, drop their weapons, and grovel!  Including the one who's on fire.  Well he more rolls around in pain, but that counts as groveling too.

Gnoll 3 HP: 16-5=11 Makes the save.
Callie
 NPC, 169 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 08:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie bursts out some pleasant warmth. Kitau's wounds close. Then Callie starts to head north again. "I'm going to heal Steeltooth." and with that, she leaves it to her allies to bind the prisoners while she begins casting Healing Word on the boar.

When Callie gets to healing the boar, she coos softly to him. "Steeltooth, I'm Callie. Ulthand Deepgem sent me to rescue you." She would be sure to throw another hyena corpse into the cage just to reassure Steeltooth she is on his side.


Moon Touched. Haha regain 6 hp without spending surges.
D8 rolls: 1, 7, 2. Kitau gains 2 more HP.
Keep forgetting this only works on bloodied allies.
Healing word used on Steeltooth:
 1st casting: 3+5+3 = 11 (+21surge value = 32)
 2nd casting: 2+5+3 = 10 (+21surge value = 31)
 If Steeltooth has 2 surges to spend, he can be healed to full.


Kitau HP: 41 + 8 = Full HP

This message was last edited by the player at 08:24, Sat 10 Aug 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 557 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2013
at 09:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I believe I can learn to live with anticlimax, especially when it means less injuries for you while I hide behind everyone."  At least that strategy usually works for Terdisas.  Hiding behind cover and others didn't do much for the lifespan of a certain Gnoll.
Mittens
 GM, 447 posts
Thu 15 Aug 2013
at 03:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Steeltooth," Mits chuckles, "That name still gives me flashbacks."

Kitau ties up badguys and Mits lends a hand.

"Pff.  Anticlimax.  What you tend to call anticlimax sure seems epic to me.  Shoving a death cult leader into a Shadowfell rift to be ripped apart by his dark lord on the other side for example.  And today we have a paladin daring several attacks in order to block off escaping torturer gnoll slavers and making them surrender with a mighty shout!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:33, Sat 17 Aug 2013.

Mittens
 GM, 449 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 05:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"You remember Ulthand Deepgem, don't you, piggie?" Mittens says, conjuring an image of the dwarf's head.

The boar goes crazy furious seeing it's master's floating disembodied head and charges the cage.

Mits changes strategies and goes with full-body illusion followed by ghost sound to emulate his voice.

"You can trust these people, Steeltooth," the image says, "I sent them to rescue you.  Follow them."

The pig blinks in confusion then calms down.


Calming the Savage Beast
Skill Challenge
The PCs can attempt to calm the dire boar and get it to
accept them as friends. Since the dire boar is a trained
creature, it is predisposed to be friendly to nonhostile
humans and dwarves. Unfortunately, the cruel treatment
it has received from the gnolls has frightened it and made
it both scared and angry.
The PCs must achieve four successes before they
attain two failures to convince the boar that they are not
its enemies.
Success in the skill challenge means that the boar fights
along with the PCs against the hyenas and gnolls. It fol-
lows them as long as they feed it and don’t mistreat it, but it
obviously wants to leave this place and return to its rightful
owner. While the dire boar follows the PCs, it can be used
as a mount or a pack animal, but it won’t fight beyond this
battle unless it is specifically attacked by an enemy creature.
Failure indicates that the dire boar attacks whoever is
nearest to it, friend and foe alike. It tries to escape from
the Well of Demons at the first opportunity.
DC 22 Nature checks: You use your understanding of ani-
mals to calm and reassure the beast.
DC 17 Heal checks: You try to ease the creature’s pain.
Only one success with this skill counts toward completing
the skill challenge.

GM handwave: Callie's cure / feeding of the animal counts as an auto success.  Mit's crit fail is followed by 2 successes.  Callie will finish off with successful heal check.
Callie
 NPC, 170 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 05:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie finishes calming the boar and begins the process of getting the cage unlocked. She starts by having the captives explain how.

Whatever it takes, Callie takes the time to work on getting the pig free and able to go with the group.


Rolled a 13 and got success.
Terdisas
 GM, 558 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 06:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I suppose it would be unprofessional to suggest using the boar to help clear out anything still standing in this building.  Not to mention foolish considering how poorly it has fared on it's own."  At best, it would be something else getting attacked instead of his friends.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 06:09, Tue 27 Aug 2013.

Mittens
 GM, 450 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 06:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits is happy to help with the opening of the cage with her thieving skill.  Once it's open, Kitau steps in, pulls the spike up that was keeping the boar changed to the ground, steps back out with the chain in one hand, and gives it a tug to have the boar follow.  She then offers the chain to Callie.

"Heh.  How does a pretty halfling cleric intimidate a monster?  Carry a chain around and say 'I have a dire boar on the other end of this chain.'  Oh.  And she really does have a dire boar at the end of the chain."

Kitau then steps on a captured gnoll's chest and brings a blade to it's nose.  "Are the slaves still alive?"

"Hehee.  The sacrafices?  Hehee yes!  Maldrick will offer them to Yeenoghu soon!  Hehee!"
Callie
 NPC, 171 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 20:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Then let's make our enemies sacrifices to Steeltooth. He's likely still hungry." she starts leading Steeltooth southbound. As she does, she pets his side and continues to give him a little doting.

She then looks at her allies. "As for Steeltooth, I agree with Terdisas. Let's have the big guy stay behind when we are ready to enter combat. I'm sure he'll understand a simple command like 'stay'."

Dido says, "Fair enough. Though if things look dire, we'll need to call on his help."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:45, Tue 27 Aug 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 559 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 20:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Somehow, I suspect if Callie were riding Steeltooth into battle with her sword strapped to it's head, our enemies would still charge right at her."

  "You say that like we don't do things just as stupid bossman, chirp."
Narrator
 player, 188 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 20:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Just then a demon phases into the room and attacks Mittens!

"Ow!  Hey!"


Mittens HP: 38-9=29
Kitau
 Player, 28 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 20:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau steps over and readies an attack for when Dido attacks.  As soon as the paladin flanks with her, she cuts two deep wounds into the demon's back!

Balgura HP: 108-39=69

This message was last edited by the player at 21:02, Tue 27 Aug 2013.

Dido
 NPC, 98 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 21:05
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Having stepped in to flank, Dido slams his hammer down onto the demon's toe. A crunch can be heard.


Standard: Valorous Smite v Balgura. Hit(20)!
 dmg: 13

Balgura is marked by Dido


Balgura HP: 69 - 13 = 56

Mittens
 GM, 451 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 21:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Burning hands!" Mittens announces before stepping away from the monster and blasting it!

The demon laughs.  "Fire?!  Foolish mortal, I resist the elements!"

"That's twice now!" Mittens says, happily, "Being called 'foolish mortal' never gets old!"

Balgura HP: 56-9=47

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:12, Tue 27 Aug 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 560 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 21:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas wisely moves out of the blast radius of Mittens O'Clock, and takes cover behind the hay bales while sending a bolt of lightning right at... past the demon's head.

  "Tweet, Maybe if you spent more time aiming than running that would have hit?"  "It was a three"  "Oh, right.  Nevermind then. chirp"
ROLLED A THREE.
Callie
 NPC, 172 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 21:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie rushes over and blasts her allies with more HP. She narrows her eyes at the demon. "Didn't resist the cutesy little gnome filleting  your back like a fish, did you?"


Hymn of Resurgence misses
Effect: Each ally in blast can choose to either gain 5 temporary HP, or make a saving throw.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:15, Tue 27 Aug 2013.

Narrator
 player, 189 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 21:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The monster howls from the sudden onslaught!

"What manner of mortals are you?!  No matter.  I shall slay you all!  Starting with this god-loving fool and the gnome!"

CLANG!  Whiff!  The demon fails to do any damage, and is punished with divine radiance!

"Impossible!"

Barlgura HP: 47-7=40

This message was last edited by the player at 21:23, Tue 27 Aug 2013.

Kitau
 Player, 29 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 21:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Slash!  Slash!  Kitau continues to butcher the demon!

"I shall have my revenge on your souls in the afterlife, mortals!"

Demon HP: 40-32=8
Dido
 NPC, 99 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 21:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido gets emboldened. "You say I'm foolish for loving a god, but you're the one who gets hurt by their divine power! Who is the fool here?! Go back to the pit you came from and cry to your masters about being defeated by mortals with little effort!"
Terdisas
 GM, 561 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 21:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "What manner of- I am at a loss for words."  "Tweet, I got it. THEY ARE WEARING HOLY SYMBOLS OF HOLY GODS, YOU DUMBASS."  Superbird manages to be even louder than Terdisas's blast of thunder, which honestly is probably the weakest thunder blast he has ever fired.

  So the Demon's skull is only crushed instead of vaporized.  Whooooo SORCERER.

  "...Am I imagining things, or did that demon's power consist of... punching, and nothing else?"
Mittens
 GM, 452 posts
Tue 27 Aug 2013
at 22:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mittens puts on her nerd glasses.  "Punching, resisting one element, phasing into the material plane randomly, and ranting a lot.  Nice shot, by the way.  I was honestly expecting this to be a tough fight and was thinking, 'Oh hey!  I could make him resist fire then switch to frost staff because Terdisas doesn't have fire spells!'  In hindsight it probably would have been better to open up with a weak attack turned ice then switch over to fire once he resisted the ice.  Is it just me, or was that fight kinda easy?  I mean, besides my getting clawed at the beginning.  I'm beginning to wonder if the trend of wandering into badguys who happen to be juuust within our power to beat is taking a nice downswing.  Either way, we just obliterated a demon in 10 seconds flat!  That's going in the journal!"

Kitau was scouting ahead during all this chatter and returns.

"More halls and doors."

She turns her attention to the prisoners.

"Where are the captives?"

"Maldrick probably has them in the inner sanctum, hehe."

The gnolls give directions.  West, South, Door on left, Door on right, South, east.

"But it'll be locked, hehe.  You'll need the four magic items to unlock it, hehe.  The book is in the shrine southeast of here, the mask in the trap room west of here, the blade in the blood room southwest from there, and bell is in the room with the creepy pillars southeast of there, hehehee."
Callie
 NPC, 173 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 18:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
During Mittens' dialogue, Callie and Dido nod at the various points. "It must have been a lesser demon... only here because of all the demon-worship going on. Even then... I find it hard to believe we defeated a demon. Be careful not to be too convinced."

Dido says, "Exercising caution is duly noted. But don't forget we have the help of at least 3 gods just between the two of us. A demon doesn't stand a chance before the might of the gods."

Callie says, "True enough. The gods also brought us all together with powerful allies."

Dido looks at Terdisas. "The power of a dragon."

Callie looks at Mittens. "The power of knowledge."

Seeing Kitau return, Callie giggles and says, "And the power of determination."

Callie takes notes on a parchment as the gnolls spew directions. "Let's get going and quick."
Terdisas
 GM, 561 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 22:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas could have sworn when it came to Dragons, his noteworthy trait was missing the quest involving one.  Maybe they were thinking of Dragon Sorcery from his tendency to pick up Ice Spells meant for their min/maxing instead.

  Still, it was a nice speech and he wasn't going to smash it with the semantics hammer.  "Tweet, I am totally as awesome as a Dragon, you heard the Paladin."  He will facepalm though.

This message was last updated by the GM at 22:36, Sat 31 Aug 2013.

Mittens
 GM, 453 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 22:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Not to mention the power of courage, cuteness, snarkiness, rage, etc.," Mittens adds as she heads in the direction indicated by Callie, which was presumably the nearest 'key' to the locked door, "And yes, lets.  I can't help but wonder what kind of book, blade, mask, and cowbell we'll find and what their significance is outside 'you need these four items to advance to the boss gnoll's lair.'  Like, were they magic items used by the Minotaurs long ago?"

Kitau is sure to take point while the giant dire boar follows Callie obediently.  Around the south bend and to the east, the heros find a door.  Listening at the door, they hear nothing.
Kitau
 Player, 30 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 22:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau sheathes one of her weapons and carefully opens the door.

When the PCs enter the corridor that connects these
chambers, read:
The corridor, hewn from black rock, connects three different
areas. Ahead, the passage opens into a chamber, while along the
eastern wall, closed doors can be seen. The doors are made of
black wood, and each has an iron knocker carved in the shape of
a minotaur’s snarling face. One is a single door, while the other
is a set of double doors. The flagstones on the floor each have
the symbol of a bull’s horned skull worked into them in blood red
stone.


Kitau steps in quietly.
Dido
 NPC, 100 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 22:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido takes point with Kitau, followed by Callie who is between the two.
Terdisas
 GM, 562 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 22:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird quietly chirps in regards to the mounted skulls, "I can't tell if they like Minotaurs, or really really hate them, tweet."  Okay, quietly tweets.

  Terdisas does the obvious, quietly follow after his friends.  He stops short of staying right behind Callie not out of cowardice (we swear!), but so Mittens will be in front of him for her usual BBQ opening moves.
Narrator
 player, 190 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
One of the tieflings in the far room stealthily slinks to the corner to watch the heroes approach.  He keeps his weapon sheathed and simply watches in silence.
Kitau
 Player, 31 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau sneaks carefully to the closest door and listens carefully.  She shrugs her shoulders and continues on toward the other door.
Mittens
 GM, 454 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits follows along, beginning to wonder if there are any monsters to slay in this area.  Though she does put her finger on her lips in reply to Superbird, conjuring a page with the words, "Sneak, sneak, sneak!" written on it.
Callie
 NPC, 174 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie pets the boar's snout and says softly, "Wait." before she travels south with her allies. Upon seeing Kitau shrug, Callie moves forward with Dido.
Terdisas
 GM, 563 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:14
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird shall not be silenced!... Except when he feels like it, which he does, totally.

  Terdisas follows after the heroic horde, and nods to Callie as he stops behind Mittens.  He's also somewhat impressed at how quiet a giant pig is being.
Narrator
 player, 191 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When Callie lets go of the chain, the pig gets the idea and stays put.  Meanwhile, Kitau listening at the door shrugs and begins to head further down, but stops in her tracks and draws her second weapon when the Tiefling watching the group reveals himself by putting a finger to his mouth and shushing.

"There's a gnoll in one of the rooms you passed," he whispers, "He... she... it could come out any minute and will likely attack you on sight.  It would be best if we talk out in the hall."

He motions for the group to back up.
Callie
 NPC, 175 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido both are the kind to give anyone a chance. Callie especially. She nods to the tiefling and nudges her head in a "follow me" motion before backing out where the adventurers came from.
Terdisas
 GM, 564 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  On the one hand, Terdisas is used to anything and everything trying to deceive and kill them.  On the other hand, free advice from a race that is perfectly capable of not being evil assholes.

  Not for the first time, he wishes he was as good at seeing through deception as he was causing it... Even if he can't remember the last time he used deception.

  Is that forgetfullness or willful ignorance?
Narrator
 player, 192 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Fast forwarding a bit, Kitau is sure to keep a very cautious eye on the Tiefling and his companion when she emerges, but since Callie and Dido didn't give a command to attack she stays her blades for the time being.  Mits grins, conjures a small fireball in her hand, and winks at the Tieflings, and she follows out to the hall.  Eventually the whole group is out in the hall and the Tieflings close the door behind them.

"Adventurers I presume?" he asks, "Here to rout out the gnolls?  What's with the giant boar?  Oh wait.  Sorry.  Introductions.  My name is Damakos.  This is my partner, Nemeia."

Mittens answers cheerfully, "Me am Mittens!  This is Callie, Dido, Kitau, Superbird, and Terdisas alphabetically."
Callie
 NPC, 176 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie adds, "And Steeltooth. The dire boar is Ulthand Deepgem's pet. The gnolls took Steeltooth, so we were asked to fetch him while we're here weeding out the evil. We're kind of in a hurry since the gnolls we captured earlier were bragging about people being sacrificed to Yenogu."

Dido asks, "Why aren't you attacking us?"
Terdisas
 GM, 565 posts
Sat 31 Aug 2013
at 23:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "What does it say about our lives when after so many times questioning the reckless abandon of our attackers, those deciding not to are even more surprising?"  There are three times as many of us (counting the boar), why aren't they trying to kill us in a hopeless battle?

  "I suppose you have your own reasons for delving into this unpleasant place."
Narrator
 player, 193 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 00:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"The last pair of tieflings we encountered were hired to assassinate us with a giant animated bronze minotaur statue," Mittens says, "But as you can see, we aren't the kind to hold your race against you.  Only that you happen to be casually within the lair of a demon-worshiping cult of human sacrificing gnolls."

Kitau tightens her grip on her weapons and glares at the Tieflings.  Damakos blink-blinks in some surprise.

"Woah.  You guys are the real deal, aren't you?  Paladin, Cleric... the whole classical hero team!  Sorry to slow you down in your crusade to rescue people.  We're adventurers too, but the more mundane 'out for riches' type.  The reason we were here was to try and bamboozle the gnolls out of some of their minotaur relics then turn around and sell them for a sweet profit.  I got a bad feeling from these freaks over and above their being gnolls, but I honestly didn't know they were a demon cult or I wouldn't have risked becoming a sacrifice myself.

"Tell ya what.  You're clearly super powerful if you fought your way to this point.  So I'm willing to risk throwing in my lot with you to help rescue whomever it is you came to rescue on the condition that you won't call down a divine curse upon us for running for our lives if it looks like you're about to get wiped out, and if we get a fair share of the loot.  Or, if you'd rather, we'll just pack up and leave."

Insight check DC ?:  He's being honest.
Callie
 NPC, 177 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 00:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie steps forward. "Yes. We *are* the real deal. And now you have a deal." she offers her hand to shake on it. "Damakos. Nemeia. You just don't know how relieving it is to finally stumble on someone who doesn't want to die trying to kill us." the bright smile on her face says it all.

Dido adds, "Just stay behind us and we'll protect you. Try to stay out of sight of the enemy while you're at it."

Callie nods. "All help you give is appreciated. I'm sure any and all information you give will help a lot. And whenever you wanna call it quits, let us know and we'll give you a quick escort to the door so you can make it out safely."

Dido fills the tieflings in on what the gnoll prisoners said.

Callie nods. "So were you two after those artifacts in particular? Because once we're done with them, chances are we won't need 'em for anything else..."
Terdisas
 GM, 566 posts
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 00:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird comments "Do they count as honest mercenaries when they were tricking someone else?, tweet."   "Close enough for my tastes at the very least in these circumstances.  So long as you help at all, you'll get your share.  I'd assume you have enough sense to realize attacking our enemies at all so they fall faster is safer than simply watching."

  Hide the melee only NPCs behind the party the whole time!... wait.
Mittens
 GM, 455 posts
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 00:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"You're quite right we're powerful!" Mittens brags, "Examples include defeating a white dragon, death cult, azer slaver ring, and just recently destroying a 10' tall demon in 10 seconds flat.  So don't get any ideas of turning on us.  Kitau is liable to carve you into one inch cubes before Callie can say, 'Wait!  I'm sure there's a good reason they...'"

The tieflings nod and head back into the next room with an obligatory "shh" to indicate the group should be stealthy.  Damakos sneaks to the gnoll's room door and opens it for the heroes!


Surprise round!
Kitau
 Player, 32 posts
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 01:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Damakos rushes into the room with the others and begins to get into flanking position.

"Future reference," Mittens interjects, "My burning hands spell isn't ally friendly."

Kitau steps forward and begins the one-inch-cubing process on the gnoll!

Gnoll HP: 106-34=72
Mittens
 GM, 456 posts
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 01:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Nemia steps forward and swings at the gnoll but fails to do damage.

Mittens tries her hardest to downsize her burning hands.  FWOOSH!  The backburn nearly singes her hair!

"Woot!  I got to use my burning hands spell at all this fight!  I'm satisfied."

Gnoll HP: 72-20=52
Terdisas
 GM, 567 posts
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 01:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I am again reminded of why, despite how useful your explosions are, I stick to more focused spells."  That said, Terdisas kneecaps the Gnoll with a bolt of lightning, sending it falling to the ground.
Standard: Pinning Bolt vs Gnoll.  Hits (25 Reflex).  24 Lightning DMG.

Effects:  Gnoll Knocked Prone.  Gnoll Slowed until End Of My Next Turn.

Gnoll HP: 52-24= 28

Callie
 NPC, 178 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 01:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie heads to the corner of the room and BLASTS everyone with a huge glow! The gnoll seems to cower before the light, but everyone else (even the tieflings) feel more durable for it!


Move: To east end of room
Standard: Hymn of Resurgence v Gnoll. Hit(23)!

Target takes a -2 to all defenses. Whenever an ally hits the target before the end of your next turn, the target is knocked prone.

Effect: Each ally in blast can choose to either gain 5 temporary HP, or make a saving throw.

Narrator
 player, 194 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 02:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Betrayers!" the gnoll in the room screams, "You will be sacrificed to Yeenoghu!"

She attacks Kitau, smashing the gnome with her heavy flail, shrieking a prayer to Yeenoghu.  Kitau turns invisible!

With a puff of brimstone and a sound like a whip-crack,
the double doors burst open, and a
hulking creature covered in fur appears before the shrine to
Baphomet. It roars, flexing deadly claws and revealing terrible
fangs, before fixing its blood-red eyes upon you.


It lumbers around the hallway then attacks the nearest enemy...  Terdisas.

"Wait...  I recognize you...  Oh it's ON!"

Kitau HP: 50-16=34
Terdisas HP: 47-14=33

This message was last edited by the player at 00:24, Mon 02 Sept 2013.

Dido
 NPC, 101 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 00:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido scoots over and SMASHES the gnoll with his hammer. "Hurry up and fall so we can pull that demon apart again!"


Standard: Valorous Smite v Gnoll. Hit(27)!
 dmg: 17!! Max!

Balgura and Gnoll are marked by Dido


Gnoll HP: 28 - 17 = 11

Kitau
 Player, 33 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 00:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Invisible, Kitau slips past the Balgura then reappears as she begins slicing it up!  Meanwhile, the two Tielflings finish off the gnoll.

"So this is the same demon?  What are the chances?"

Balgura HP: 108-25=83

This message was last edited by the player at 00:38, Mon 02 Sept 2013.

Terdisas
 GM, 568 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 00:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Oh for Chirps sake, it hasn't even been five squawking minutes and they're already recycling our enemies."  Speaking of a recycled nemesis, the number THREE turns up again in Terdisas's attempts at shooting demons in the face.  So he just sighs and slinks back into the room with the now thoroughly obliterated gnoll.
OOC: Huuuuuuur.
Terdisas HP: 33/47
Mittens
 GM, 457 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 00:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"So yeah.  Why is it we're fighting you again?"  Mittens asks, "Oh.  Magic Missile."

Demon HP: 83-8=75
Variable Resistance: As a free action, the monster chooses
a type of damage from the following list: acid, cold, fire,
lightning, or thunder.  Force is not on the list!

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:59, Mon 02 Sept 2013.

Callie
 NPC, 179 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 01:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "I think he likes the feel of the backs of our hands." she throws a white fireball at the demon, torching him quite a bit! "You know the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing and expecting different results!" Kitau feels invigorated.


Sacred Flame v Balgura. Hit(23)!
 dmg: 11!! Max!!

Kitau gains 5 thp


Balgura HP: 75 - 11 = 64

Narrator
 player, 195 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 20:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I'll kill you!" the demon howls, swinging down both fists at Kitau with enough force to splatter her all over the floor, but fortunately she hops back just enough that only her foot is flattened!  As she squeaks in pain, the demon is immediately punished with divine radiance!

Kitau HP: 39-17=22
Demon HP: 64-7=57

Dido
 NPC, 102 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 20:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido moves over to the Balgura. "You'll do no such thing! And if you keep going after the others instead of me, you'll find that same burn you felt until you die from it!" He swings at the Balgura and misses, but not before having maintained his mark.


Move: To Balgura
Minor: Divine Challenge
Standard: Valiant Strike v Balgura. Miss(12)

Kitau
 Player, 34 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 20:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau hisses through her teeth as she swings her blades at the demon's nearest foot, but it shuffles out of the way and she hits only stone floor.  Nemia gulps, and vanishes in a puff of smoke soon followed by a new gash opening in the demon's arm!.

"Unbelievable," Damakos mutters as he hesitantly moves forward.  He too vanishes in a puff of smoke!

Demon HP: 57-10=47 and ongoing 5 poison
Terdisas
 GM, 569 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 21:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas tries it again, and gets a near repeat performance of the last time this demon showed up (four minutes ago).   A Thunder slam encounter power no more impressive than if he rolled well on his At-Will.

  Which of course means breaking 20 damage and taking the Demons remaining half down by half.

  "Do demons operate on a three strikes system?  Should we make guest arrangements within the next ten minutes"
Standard: Thunder slam:  Hits 20 fort (exact hit).  23 DMG.

Demon HP: 47-23= 24 (bloodied)

Mittens
 GM, 458 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 21:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits taps her staff on the floor and the demon erupts into flame!

"Impossible!  I'll get you for thiiiis!"

Just as he raises his fists to double-slam Dido, Mittens interrupts with a quick Magic Missile!  He barfs up some bile before turning into ash and disintegrating.

Mits pokes at the scorch mark left on the stone floor where the demon was standing.

"So Cuddles gets sent back to the Abyss and his demon forman says, 'Defeated in 10 seconds again, I see.  Well.  Back to the summoning pit you go.  Have fun doing the bidding of mortals again!'"

Demon HP: (resist 10 thunder)=34-21 fire = 13-10 ongoing =3... so ACTION POINT to finish him!
Callie
 NPC, 180 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 21:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie steps forward and says, "awww... I wanted him to see this." she waves a hand and lunar beams shoot from her all around the place before focusing on Kitau. Kitau starts healing up. This is follow up with her usual blowing of a kiss and Kitau's wounds close, her foot unflattened. "But I guess all that matters is Kitau sees it." She smiles over at Kitau. "Good as new." she goes for a side-hug.


Move: To Kitau
Minor: Moon Touched
 Kitau heals for 6 HP.
Minor: Healer's Word
 Kitau spends surge and gains another 8. 11+8 = 19


Kitau HP: 22 + 6 + 19 = Full

Terdisas
 GM, 570 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 22:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "As unpleasant as that was, this was probably the easiest fight in quite some time.  I would be surprised if the trend continues."  Not even including the extra help.  But then, two whole enemies who are not built in a broken as hell manner will do that.

  It's probably for the best the Demon was taken out swiftly after being bloodied both times though.  Two 2d8+6 attacks in a row, it must be a Drake Blooded Demon?

OOC:  Surge used.
Terdisas HP: 44/47 S 4, V 11, AP 1

Mittens
 GM, 459 posts
Sat 7 Sep 2013
at 04:46
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau returns the side-hug and begins walking back toward the room with the prisoners then continues from there.  Mits swipes the book off the altar and magic missiles the altar before following along.

"Wow..." is all the Tiefling can say.

"You're probably right, Terdisas," Mits says, flipping irreverently through the book, "From the looks of this, the Minotaurs had some brutal 'tests' prepared for their club members as hinted at when we first entered."
Dido
 NPC, 103 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 04:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Then we'll just have to step up our game if they step up theirs."

Callie nods. "Sometimes it's hard to hold back when I see you all getting hurt." She gets quiet as they get closer to their next destination...
Terdisas
 GM, 571 posts
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 04:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "It does appear I need to learn how to explode demons harder, normally detonating something's skull sticks."  even Sorcerer bonus only goes so far, it seems.
Mittens
 GM, 461 posts
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 05:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The spectral figure of a minotaur appears among the PCs and emits a wail of rage and anguish before vanishing again.

"Once again, with more feeling," Mittens mutters.

"What the hells was that?!" the talkative Tiefling asks.

Mits and Kitau both shrug.

"Happened once before.  Prolly a ghost or something.  And I'm sure we'll all be learning how to kick more butt before we're through."

The hall takes a turn to the south and Kitau carefully scouts ahead.  She signals for the group to follow once she listens at the door at the end of the hall.  Once together and ready for whatever silent ambush or trap lies beyond the door, Kitau opens the door.

Blood stains the floor here. Crimson trails run from a set of
double doors in the east down the corridor and into a door to
the west. A sudden chill washes over you. The cold seems to pen-
etrate your body, causing an involuntary shiver. Three spectral
figures appear faintly before you, rising out of the bloodstains.
The ghostly figures raise their hands in greeting.


quote:
Speaking with the Dead
This skill challenge comprises the PCs’ attempts to learn
information from the three spirits. As the characters enter
Location 5, the spirits greet them in Common and ask
what they seek in the Well of Demons.
For the nonplayer characters to provide assistance, the
PCs need to convince the spirits of their trustworthiness
and that their cause is just.
Complexity: Twelve successes before six failures,
though the PCs gain some information even if they fail this
challenge (see below).
Primary Skills: Arcana, Athletics, Diplomacy,
Dungeoneering.
Arcana or Dungeoneering: The characters can impress
Mendara with their knowledge of mystic lore and dungeon
environments. A PC succeeds with a DC 22 check using
either skill, and the PCs can gain any number of successes
this way.
Athletics: As a cleric of Kord, Valdrog applauds feats of
strength or athletic prowess. A PC succeeds with a DC 22
Athletics check, but the PCs can gain no more than two
successes in this way.
Diplomacy: The PCs can use the Diplomacy skill to
convince the NPCs of their good intentions. However, the
spirits believe that actions speak louder than words, so a
DC 26 Diplomacy check is necessary to succeed. The PCs
can score any number of successes this way.
Other Skills: Bluff, Intimidate, Insight.
Bluff: A character who has any ill intentions can use
Bluff in place of Diplomacy to attempt to convince the
spirits that his or her intentions are good.
Intimidate: The spirits cannot be intimidated, for they
are beyond harm. Using this skill results in an automatic
failure, and the PC making the Intimidate check takes a
–2 penalty to all other skill checks in this challenge.
Insight: During the conversation, Mendara makes
outrageous claims about the trio’s exploits. If a character
succeeds on a DC 22 Insight check, that PC realizes she is
lying. If the character questions her and attempts to learn
why she is lying, the PCs gain a success. Only one success
can be gained in this way.


OOC: Thinking of skipping the skill checks and just RPing the encounter.  Up to you all, I'm torn.
Callie
 NPC, 181 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 06:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie gives a curtsey in response to the greeting. "Hail. I am Callie. These are my companions Dido, Kitau, Mittens, Terdisas and Superbird. Who might you be?"

You know... back when she was new to adventuring, meeting ghosts might have been a little scary. But having fought undead more times than she cares to count, her sense of "ghosts are scary" has been dulled by "wow they aren't attacking us!"
Terdisas
 GM, 572 posts
Sat 2 Nov 2013
at 05:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Well, you are certainly the most reasonable ghosts I have met in a long while.  I do not suppose this well would have anything to do with making sure certain demons stay exploded?"  It's a valid question, even if one probably a bit low key for something with such a fancy label.
Mittens
 GM, 462 posts
Sat 2 Nov 2013
at 06:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I've been meaning to ask several questions of ghosts about the afterlife," Mittens says, "Such as whether time passes faster for you?  Or whether you had a choice in staying in the Prime Material rather than being dragged off to the Raven Queen's realm by some inexorable force?  And whether you ever have any interaction with the Minotaur ghosts.  Like... fighting.  And what happens to a ghost when it's defeated in combat?  Does it just..."

"That's enough!" the human cleric of Kord interrupts, "Prove you have the strength and courage to win if you want any answers!"

The elf wizard looks disgusted.  "They certainly lack the brains or sense for it.  They obviously don't know the first thing about this place!"

The dwarf paladin of Pelor, face hidden under his helm's faceplate turns to Dido.  "I sense taint in your allies.  Why do you, who would dare to presume to be a knight of two gods, travel with such heathens?"

Kitau glares at the human ghost, cocks her fist, and punches the door's handle off.
Dido
 NPC, 104 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 4 Nov 2013
at 17:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says in a serious and stern tone, "You are mistaken about my allies, sir. The only taint you may sense in my allies is the same taint I carry with them; getting our hands dirty in order to rescue people. These heroes stopped Orcus from entering this plane through a rift to the Shadowfell. So we had to slay many an evil being or undead. If there is taint, it is because of that."

Callie answers the wizard in a soft (and ALMOST condescending, but in a "you poor dear" way) tone, "One has to lack at least some sense to go adventuring and do the kind of heroing we do day in and day out. But you'd have to be completely without sense to think you can go through life without dealing with problems. However, lack of knowledge does not denote lack of intelligence. Otherwise, you're intelligence would be measured around the same as ours."
Terdisas
 GM, 573 posts
Mon 4 Nov 2013
at 20:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "It's possible your fellow paladin did not mean it like that Dido."  Well, that's nice of you to sa- "Perhaps he is referring to the mere existence of our recent acquaintances, as opposed to any deeds of larceny against demon worshiping gnolls."

  "Tweet, is it worse if he hates them because they're Tieflings, or because he thinks stealing is always wrong even if it's from slavers?"

  "You'll have to forgive my little friend.  The last Spirit of a Paladin we met was just as judgmental towards us, and they had murdered a keep full of innocents safeguarding it from the shadowfell.  The opinions of the departed are, as such, rather suspect of late.  They seem to have a habit of desiring to bar our progress even if it means more innocents will die simply because we are not to their taste."

  "What about arcane trivia? Chirp.  I mean even I know Minotaur's like mazes, I'll bet there's a maze and these ghosts have some vague clue where the hidden exit is they are withholding."  "No, I don't think that counts.  It does not take any great intellect to expect that sort of thing."  "What about 'Beholder Tyrants have eleven different Eye rays'."  "Do you remember what they all are?""Tweet, sure.  There's a petrify ray, a disintegrate ray, uh,... Mean looks?... Look there's Squawking eleven of them okay!  The book I read said that knowing Minotaurs like Baphomet is obscure, and that God's plastered all over this place NAMED AFTER IT!"

Nevermind that it considers 'Minotaurs like mazes' to be the hardest lore check.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:59, Mon 04 Nov 2013.

Mittens
 GM, 463 posts
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 04:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Oooh, real impressive," the human cleric says sarcastically fo Kitau's small display of violence, "But doors don't hit back."

"Gateways to the Shadowfell will drag you and and tear you apart, though," Mittens points out, "So some doors are quite dangerous indeed."

Kitau grunts her irritation with the ghost and throws her javelin at his face.  The javelin lodges deep into the wall with a loud clink.  The paladin ghost takes notice of Terdisas at the mention of dealing with a murder zombie paladin then looks back to Dido.

"Impressive deeds if what you say is true, but even a devil would be shrewd enough to prevent Orcus from gaining a foothold in the mortal realm.  It is not race or the taint of undeath that I spoke of.  Rather, it is a matter of purity of heart and veracity of faith.  Namely, the lack thereof.  Mocking, insincere, destructive, flippant, ineffective...  These are the kinds of hearts that surround you after how long you've had to guid them into the light of any of your faiths?

"I would be quick to help a real paladin with a real team of heroes, but pretenders not so much.  Only one of you even mentioned defending innocents, and even then only in passing to excuse an accusation.  I have my doubts that any of you are who you claim, much less have pure intentions."

"Same could be said of you," Mits counters, "As Terdisas pointed out, just 'cause you appear to be a ghost of a paladin doesn't mean you're a goodguy.  Why should we trust you?"

"The aid we will offer once you show yourselves worthy will be yours to accept or reject as you'll see fit."

"Oh this is rich," the female ghost mage says, "Looks like the bird is the master and the human is the familiar.  But I'll bet none of you beat a beholder like we have!  Woulda done it in record time too if the stupid warlock hadn't gone for the obviously trapped gem.  That's the kind of senseless I'm talkin about, blondie.  Your silly friends are going to end up getting you killed."
Dido
 NPC, 105 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 06:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "And you ally yourself with someone who is condescending. Rather than play games, how about you tell us what we're supposed to do to prove our worth. After all; to believe our credentials, you have to take our word for it. And even if you believe our credentials, apparently saving the world is something 'even devils would do'. It wouldn't matter what we say or do, if you had it in your head to condemn us, you would find a way. So. Tell me what you expect besides us wasting time?"

Callie says, "No hero is perfect, but we *are* heroes. Our adventures started out by ridding a town of a dragon and her kobold servants because they were raiding the king's road. We did so at risk to our lives. We got paid, but the gold was not our reason for doing this. I've tried time and again to spare our enemies, but most times they would sooner die than surrender. Or they are so evil, they just would sooner die than not be cruel to people. On one hand, my mercy could be seen as allowing evil to go unpunished. On the other hand, it could be seen as having more compassion than normal. My friend Kitau is of the first opinion; that evil should not live to have a second chance. But not once has she called me weak for showing compassion. So far, the only ones to see mercy as weak have been evil. Do you still see me as weak? But Dido has a point. If we are good at heart, the only way to prove it is for you to go and hear what we've done, how we've treated people, or for you to watch us for a while. Only time ever tells anyone what people are made of."
Terdisas
 GM, 574 posts
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 06:19
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas makes his will save vs facepalm at Kitau doing what most of them are likely tempted to do.

  "Chirp, I never knew saving lives only counted if you bragged about it. I could totally go for Bossman being the familiar though."  The sorcerer ignores this, in favor of saying "I assure you, any doubts and suspicions I have put forth are quite sincere.  I have sadly found in my travels that honesty is not valued over simply telling people what they wish to hear, a virtue wasted and a lesson I repeatedly seem to forget."  That or just not being bothered to flex his CHA score after fighting their way through repeat demons to the checkpoint ghosts who think they are worse than said demons.

  Superbird sporting the Sehanine familiar of choice look probably didn't count for much to these spirits anyway, not their God after all.
Mittens
 GM, 472 posts
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 03:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Not to mention the fact that we're here to try and rescue some slaves," Mits points out, "So the longer you impede us, the greater the chance they'll end up the lunch of some jackal demon named Yeenoghu."

At first the ghost Kitau attacked looks furious.  But after remembering he's already dead, he chuckles.

"Looks like they have the muscle."

"And the courage," the paladin adds.

"But only half the brains," the wizard says.

The paladin warns, "Beware, for the trials ahead are likely tougher than any you have faced so far....

Conclusion
The PCs receive information based on the total number
of successes achieved. Whether the PCs succeed or fail,
the slain adventurers can finally rest in peace. They have
attempted to help a group avenge their loss. Once the chal-
lenge ends, the NPCs say farewell (or mock the PCs and
warn of impending death if the encounter went poorly)
and fade from view.
Rewards: If the PCs attain twelve successes, the
adventurers hail them as allies. The group provides all the
information below.
Failure: If the PCs earn six failures, determine their
total number of successes up to that point. The spirits pro-
vide information based on the PCs’ number of successes,
as shown below.


0–1 Successes: This place is the Proving Grounds, a test-
ing place for worshipers of the demon lord Baphomet. You must
find four items: a knife, a mask, a bell, and a book. You must
place each of these items on one of four circles of runes found in
this complex. The items must be placed on the runes at the exact
same time.
2–3 Successes: Three of the items are held within chambers
built to test Baphomet’s worshipers. You can find these chambers
to the north, west, and south of where we now stand, through
these eastern double doors and then through another set of
double doors that leads to the west.
4–5 Successes: The fourth item, the book, is on an altar in
a small shrine to the east.
6–7 Successes: To the east of the Proving Grounds is the
inner sanctum. Its door opens only when the proper ceremony is
completed. The items used for the ceremony disappear if you try
to remove them from the Well of Demons, and upon completion
of the ceremony, they return to their former locations.
8–9 Successes: Completing this ceremony summons the
terrible Guardian and activates several traps in the area. The
Guardian is a green dragon imprisoned here. It can swoop past
its prey and attack. It emerges from a great pit in the center of
the complex.
10–11 Successes: Each of the chambers in this complex
has a magical trap designed to harass intruders. The central
corridor is the fastest way to move around, but it also has its
own trap: a crushing sphere of magical force that rolls along its
length.
12 Successes: There is a treasure hidden in the complex. It
is hidden beneath the altar in the chamber south of here.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:56, Wed 20 Nov 2013.

Callie
 NPC, 182 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 05:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie is unsure why the wizard insulting the team's intelligence bothers her so much. But far be it from her to interrupt the ones who are being useful.

Dido patiently waits for all the information, thanks the spirits and proceeds.

Some time after Callie sees the spirits leave and is in another room, Callie says, "Was it just me, or were those bunch a bit egotistical?"
Terdisas
 GM, 575 posts
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 05:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Tweet, they made me look subtle by comparison."  Terdisas sighs once the ghosts are gone "We will have some difficulty if the four circles are not all within yelling distance of eachother.  A shame we do not have time to simply brick over the dragon pit.  I somehow doubt offering to help the dragon escape imprisonment will work either."

  Being kind to dragons? YOU BASTARD.  Well, ones that aren't metallic themed at least.

  Elsewhere, Matt is having one of his moments of 'protection vs ongoing poison totally justified' senses going off.
Mittens
 GM, 473 posts
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 18:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits is pretty sure why she's offended, but she shrugs it off with a bit of mockery.

"I figure they need to grasp at anything to make themselves feel better for winding up dead.  'You aren't as smart or strong or righteous as I was when I was alive!'  Ye olde, 'Tear others down to make yourself feel bigger.'"

She nods to Terdisas.  "I was thinking the same thing.  What else I was thinking is that there may be some truth to what the dwarf was saying when he asserted this'll be the toughest challenge ever.  We've dealt with dragon, death traps, and rolling boulders before way back in the kobold lair, but we did so together.  This whole 'must be separated to activate it' business is what's got me most concerned.  Me be thinking we use ropes to drop all the artifacts into their circles from a distance.  Together."

Kitau nods her assent to this plan and scouts around.
Dido
 NPC, 106 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 9 Jan 2014
at 17:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido nods. "Let's do that. We'll stick together. Fight together... and live together. If we can't do it with ropes, we leave and come back with some hired help."

Callie follows a distance behind Kitau, munching on a ration.
Terdisas
 GM, 576 posts
Fri 10 Jan 2014
at 00:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird flaps,  "Tweet, if we had the time I'd say set up a sweet dominos array for knocking the artifacts into the circles."

  "Is everything trying to kill us getting boring for you?"   "Well nothing is trying to kill us yet, chirp."
Mittens
 GM, 586 posts
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 03:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits grins and thumbs-ups.

"Mittens is grateful to be in a brave and heroic team with enough sense to work together as a team."

She lowers her voice. "From the sounds of things, lack of teamwork was a contributing factor in getting the last group through here killed."

Kitau nods and begins to scout ahead out of habit but stops herself and indicates for Dido to take point.
Callie
 NPC, 183 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 2 Feb 2014
at 01:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido smiles at Kitau and goes to take point.

At the mention of the dead heroes, Callie looks annoyed for a moment, but then sighs as she calms herself and says, "Let's survive this, set the captives free, and call it a day."

Dido heads for the first spot (Player doesn't know where that is).
Terdisas
 GM, 577 posts
Sun 2 Feb 2014
at 02:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Considering the idea is to make a setup where they can trigger things without splitting up, Terdisas sticks with the Mittens for now in case something from beyond takes offense to her being clever.  Like a demon showing up for a third time.
Mittens
 GM, 615 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 02:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When the group is ready, Mittens opens the double doors to the northwest area with Mage Hand.

The door opens to reveal a 10-foot-wide room. Jet-black curtains
hang from hooks set into the ceiling, forming a wall ahead
of you.


Mittens prestidigitates a sign that reads, "Well this is new,"

Her mage hand grabs hold of the curtains to open them for the group, but she waits for the go-ahead.
Dido
 NPC, 107 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 02:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido takes point with Kitau and whispers, "If we get bombarded... we shut the doors."

Callie nods and braces herself, readying a heal for if one of her allies drops to 0. It's happened before and she's not gonna let it happen again.
Terdisas
 GM, 578 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 02:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas nods.  Pesky giant walking crossbows.  That other team of adventurers with a Mittens had it easy.  As he prepares for inevitable combat, he tries to remember how many daily attacks he has used by now.

Initiative 26
Mittens
 GM, 616 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 02:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When the curtain is pulled open, the group can see into the next room.  It is bare except for some columns with mirrors on them.

The Mirrors
A set of mirrors hangs on each of the room’s square pillars.
The mirrors are reactive; when a character looks into one,
its effect activates.
Trigger: On each character’s turn, before he or she
takes any actions, locate the nearest pillar within 5
squares and have one mirror on that pillar attack the
character.
After the first round a character can close his or her
eyes to avoid the attack.
The character is considered blinded while doing so.
Appearance: The mirrors are framed in brass, with
leering, demonic faces carved along the top of each frame.
The draining mirrors cause the image of any living
creature within it to become skeletal and sickly.
The teleportation mirrors shimmer with magical
energy. They reveal the image reflected in their
counterparts.
The trapping mirrors show only darkness.
Dido
 NPC, 108 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido looks into the room and... Voop! He vanishes.
When he spots the gnoll, he says, "What happened? Where am I?"
Shield and sword up, he's ready for the gnoll.


Standard: Full Defense
Callie
 NPC, 184 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:05
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie gasps, "Dido!" and rushes to behind where he was, swiping a hand at where he was to see if he's still there if invisible. The mirror attacks her and she understands. So she puts a hand on Kitau's eyes and pulls on Mittens' robe to make her look down at her. "Don't look into the room!" she warns quickly


Move: Up to behind Kitau
Free: Warn friends
Standard: Full Defense.

Terdisas
 GM, 579 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:10
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdsas's being a complete coward compared to the short people (well okay, the Tieflings are even farther back) comes in handy for him once more.

  "I will take your word for it, but what happened to Dido?"  Meanwhile Superbird says "Chirp, screw that, I'm totally looking."

 The familair for once, leaves the Sorcerer's side and flaps into the room.  And gets mirror zapped near Didi.  "Hah! This totally won't hold me-oh hi Didi and insane Gnoll."

  Outside, Terdisas facepalms.  "Oh, it teleports you to a featurless stone prison.  With an angry gnoll."

Minor: Active familiar.
Move: Bird flap.


Mittens
 GM, 617 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits closes the curtains again.  Kitau hears Terdisas' revelation and charges through the curtains.  Poof!  She's teleported next to Dido.  When she sees Dido bracing behind his shield she remembers to not charge ahead of him.  So she readies her axes instead, eyeing the gnoll.

"FOOD!" the gnoll howls, charging Dido!

Kitau retaliates but the gnoll manages to dodge her attacks!
Callie
 NPC, 185 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie facepalms. "...why didn't they listen?" she then closes her eyes and yells in the direction of the room. "Dido! Kitau! Superbird! If you can hear me, lemme know!"

She then turns away and opens her eyes to look at the others. "Mittens? Terdisas? This is your field of expertise. Ideas?"


Still full defense. She doesn't want to risk destroying a mirror and potentially trapping her allies forever.
Dido
 NPC, 109 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido smashes the gnoll a good one and looks tougher for it! "My RATIONS won't fight back! If you yield, you may live long enough to eat!"


Minor: Divine Challenge
Standard: Strength from Valor v Gnoll. Hit(25)!
 dmg: 10


Gnoll HP: 84 - 10 = 74

Terdisas
 GM, 579 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas sighs,  "From what I can tell so far, there is no reverse setting on the mirrors.  What is worse, the mirrors attack will happen if you even try to hit it despite blocking it from view.  Fortunately, Dido has convinced the starving Gnoll that rations are better for it's hunger than getting it's teeth removed with a hammer.  So for the moment, he is going to be okay if bored."

  Terdisas rolls a 19 trillion on common sense.  "Unless you want to valiantly dive face first at the mirror so you can keep Dido and Kitau Company, we should go back, loot as many clothes and curtains an assorted objects as possible.  Drape them over ourselves like spooky ghosts, and take our time covering up the pillars in a way they can't do anything about."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:41, Fri 07 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 618 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"The place was made by Minotaurs," Damakos puts forward, "Likely smashing things is the only solution."

"Perhaps," Mittens answers, "But it wouldn't be much of a challenge for Minotaurs if that's the solution.  I noticed Callie wasn't attacked until she got closer.  And the mirrors further in the room look different from the one that attacked me.  I'm guessing this is a puzzle meant to test the minds of the disciples of Baphomet.  Ter's on the right track.  These curtains should do nicely for covering up mirrors.  But I want to test a theory.  Step back, please, Callie."

She stands where Callie was originally.  When Callie gets back she uses mage hand to budge the curtain open just enough that she can see the mirror.

"Theory confirmed.  They have an effective range of 25 feet."
Narrator
 player, 235 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Your food or your life!" the gnoll threatens, readying an attack.

Kitau slips behind it into flanking with Dido, readying an attack of her own.  But the gnoll watches Dido hungrily rather than attack.
Callie
 NPC, 186 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 05:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "If there is more to it... then maybe we have to get to the other end of the room? Why didn't those heroes tell us about these mirrors?" that last part grumbled.


Technically, the gnoll's threat is true enough. At least to Dido, who suspects the gnoll might know JUST enough to help him escape.

Dido says, "I'm getting the food. Just a moment." and with that, he pulls out some rations from his backpack. Should the gnoll make the foolish decision to attack Dido, Dido trusts Kitau to ventilate the gnoll. Should the gnoll attack Kitau, he will be punished by Dido's divine challenge. Win/Win.

Once the food is pulled out, he offers it to the gnoll. "Now... what's going on here?"
Terdisas
 GM, 580 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 05:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Probably because they died before even getting there."  He then looks to Mittens and says "Somehow, I doubt there will be anywhere in the room with that much distance from a pillar."

  Unless any particular reason not to turns up, Terdisas gets to going back and looting materials for operation... whatever.  Superbird comments before vanishing from the room "Gotta go, pesky distance limits."  and shows up on Terdisas's shoulder again.
Mittens
 GM, 619 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 05:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnoll accepts the food and devours it ravenously, weapon still in hand.

"We're trapped.  Some magic mirror or something teleported me here.  Only had a glimpse.  Blasted Minotaurs.  What's your story?"

Kitau is still ready to behead the gnoll.  Meanwhile Mits makes a blindfold for herself.

"I'm going to grab the mirror, flip it so the back is facing out, then come back here and take a look.  I'm hoping there'll be something written on the back."

As a precaution, she ties one end of her rope to her ankle.

"In case a trap door to a pool of acid opens up under me."

She gives the other end to Callie and the others who shrug and hold on.
Dido
 NPC, 110 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 05:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido sighs. "Same story... minotaur mirrors. But my friends are already working on a solution. Be patient and we will get out of this." he then looks at Kitau. "....sorry you got trapped in here with me, Kitau. Wish I had time to warn you."


Callie holds on to the rope also. "You know... if we survive this, I'm sure we could get some real good use out of these mirrors. Could save us a lot of trouble in the future. Heck... maybe we can use one of them against the dragon."
Terdisas
 GM, 581 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 05:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas returns with a pile of obscuring loot.  "I wish I had thought of that.  Even if it stops working later because ridiculously inconvenient things are only allowed to happen to us, it would be quite beneficial for the moment.  Well, so long as we don't look at it.  And manage to Get Dido and Kitau free before making the place much more crowded."

  Once Terdisas get's back, Superbird flies off into mirror zapping for SCIENCE.  "Sup, squawk."
Mittens
 GM, 620 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 05:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnoll is only slightly startled by Superbird.

"Well that's handy.  I'll be happy to be finally out of here.  What are you expecting in payment for my release?"

Mits doesn't fall into an acid trap, grabs the mirror, flips it around, then takes a peek at the backside.

"Brilliant idea, Callie!  Just bear in mind that there's apparently a one in three chance for it to fail judging from results so far.  But if we figure out what the others do...  Maybe we'll be able to up our chances."

She'll work with Terdisas to identify the enchantment on the mirror.
Callie
 NPC, 187 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 05:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie cracks a smile. The wizard called her brilliant. "A mirror with a 1-in-3 chance of stopping the dragon right off while we have our hands free to do other things is still a better chance than us without it. I just wish I could help more than just coming up with that idea. Feeling pretty helpless at the moment. Hopefully, you two can figure things out enough to help Dido out. And then we can proceed with the plan to cover the mirrors."


Dido says, "Fair question. I suppose helping us with the rest of this place would be good."

When Superbird poofs, Dido waves and says, "Welcome back, Superbird."

Dido waits for the gnoll to agree to that. But whether the gnoll does or not, Dido then asks, "So why were you in that room and not warned of what it does?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:59, Fri 07 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 582 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 06:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird rolls his birdy eyes,  "And I gotta go again, the things I put up with."  Back to Ter, Superbird looks again  The tickets are now diamonds and gets teleported to the opposite end of the room facing the altar.

  "Chirp, loading flavor text."
Mittens
 GM, 621 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 06:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau headshakes at the idea of having the gnoll join the team.

"And risk falling into another crazy magical trap?  No thanks.  I was sent to explore the room.  I guess when I didn't return, the others must have figured, 'Don't go in there or you'll never come back.'  Tell ya what.  You can have my shield once we're outta here.  Must be worth several gold."

"Don't sweat it, Blondie," Damakos, "Think of it as your friends' chances to shine."

"Blargh!"

Two boneshard skeletons appear from behind the curtain that can only be seen by Callie and the others through the portal mirror and defeat Superbird!  They then return to be behind the curtain.

Between Mits and Terdisas, they figure out what each mirror type does without any further mishaps and without having to go any further into the room than the first three pillars.

"I have an idea.  It'll hurt a bit if we're right about the attack on this one, but...  If someone deliberately looked into the black one while carrying the portal one, then they'd be trapped with Dido and Kitau but with a way out:  Looking into the somewhat painful portal one."

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:19, Fri 07 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 111 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 06:38
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Kind of figured. How about you give up the life of villainy and find a way to live peacefully with others?"


Callie says, "I volunteer.. unless you guys think it would be better for me to stay behind in case of sudden ambush?"
Terdisas
 GM, 583 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 06:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird is dead... For about give minutes.  "Blarging chirp.  That was lame.  Skeletons are lame."  The familiar hops to his feet on the ground.

  Terdisas says "For the moment, those harmful mirrors will be of little use considering the undead tends to ignore that sort of thing.  And yes Callie, at the moment you are probably the toughest one of us left so should stay.  I'll deal with carrying the teleporting mirror through the teleporting mirror"  And hope the universe does not explode.

  "And I'm staying here while he goes this time, tweet."
Mittens
 GM, 622 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 06:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"You kidding?  I'm SO done with those other gnolls!  Didn't lift a finger to help me out, nooo.  Left me here to die slow of starvation!  Soon as I get outta here I'm gunna take up a life of hunting.  Pheasant!  Mmmm.  Boar!  Mmm-mmm.  Wild raddishes!  Yum!"

Kitau looks irritated.

"The advantage of Callie going is that she has the ability to turn undead.  She pops out with Dido and Kitau, the skeletons attacks, then BLAM!  She hits 'em with that holy power of hers.  But to save her, Dido, and Kitau a bit of pain, I'm thinking I could go in myself.  This robe of mine when activated grants me a bit of a health barrier.  I go in, you, Callie, and the Tieflings get ready at that corner over there, Dido and Kitau hold on to me, I look at the mirror, all three of us teleport.  Then we all deal with the skeletons together."

"Just a thought," Damakos interjects, "While you guys do your heroing, me and Nemeia will be dealing with mirrors so you can see what you're doing."
Callie
 NPC, 188 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 06:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "That would be VERY helpful, Damakos, thank you. Alright... Mittens, go ahead. Terdisas, keep me company. Let's get this done." with that, she preps for moving in.


Dido says, "Good to hear." even though he doesn't believe the guy. "I wonder what the others are up to..." he thinks aloud.
Terdisas
 GM, 584 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 07:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas shrugs, "True enough Mittens.  At this point I just want to get this over with as fast as possible without getting any of us hurt."  He looks to Damakos and Nemia, and says "Thank you, that will definitely save us some time."  And the end boss is getting bored waiting for the party to deal with this room in an smartypants manner.

  Either way, Terdisas will get to working on the project as soon as the others are ready.
Mittens
 GM, 623 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 07:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits poofs into the trap room and explains the plan to the others.

"What about me?" the gnoll asks.

"You like me must exit by looking at the mirror.  If it doesn't work at first, just keep looking.  It's only a one in three chance it won't work on any given glance."

The gnoll looks unsure, but doesn't really know of any other options.  When Kitau and Dido are ready, they need only stand on one of Mits' feet and hold on to her arm to be technically held by her and close their eyes.  Kitau shrugs and goes along with the plan.
Dido
 NPC, 112 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 07:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "If my weight hurts your foot, Mittens, I appologise." he's only half teasing. After all, he doesn't expect a giant like Mittens to be bothered by his weight.


Callie moves up into the room with Terdisas as much as she can. "Who knew rescuing slaves and a dire bore would involve all this?" the Duergar slavers in a fortress made sense. This all is a bit intricate. But hey... cultist gnolls. What can ya do? "I'm thinking I'll get as close as I can and when I hear a skeleton coming close, I'll use the power of Sehanine to turn them."
Terdisas
 GM, 585 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 07:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas nods,  "Even though we have a way out now, it would still be a problem to get removed from battle or harmed by the other pillars."

  He stands ready to provide sorcerers ouchies.
Mittens
 GM, 624 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 07:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits uncovers the mirror and POOF!  She vanishes, leaving Kitau and Dido behind!

"Oops," Mittens says, keeping her eyes pointed in the direction of the skeletons, "OK Callie!  Do your thing!"

Kitau notices Mittens vanished and didn't bring her with.  She opens her eyes and teleports, wincing from the pain.  The skeletons attack!  One manages to slash Mits, causing her to get seriously sick.  Mits and Kitau retaliate with their readied attacks!

"Urk.  Ongoing necrotic."

The gnoll also is teleported out of the room.  He slinks away from the skeleton he appears next to then begins to follow the outer wall.
Callie
 NPC, 189 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 07:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie hears her allies getting attacked. "That's our cue." she says quickly before rushing north until she bumps into a pillar. Then moves straight to the west with intent to follow the voices of her allies.


Dido looks at the mirror and... nothing. "Fudge."

Callie double-move
Dido Full Defense

Terdisas
 GM, 586 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 07:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas follows after, and then moves right on past Callie from a combination of move speed difference and wanting to clear the pillars as soon as possible, even if it means getting closer to the skeletons than Callie (if not everyone else).

Double move
Mittens
 GM, 625 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 08:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits blasts the enemy with more fire then shakes off the ongoing necrotic.

"Ooh.  Feeling better now."

Kitau smacks her enemy and several shards of bone explode from it, hitting her and Mittens!

"OW!  Ok fair warning, stay at least 15 feet away from these things if you can help it," Mits warns.

Kitau then steps into flanking and hooks her axes on the skeletons to slam them into each other in front of her!  The gnoll continues to run from combat.  The skeletons retaliate against Kitau, one of them landing an attack that sickens her!
Terdisas
 GM, 587 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 08:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas enters the fray by... Covering up the last prison teleporting pillar.  Whoo.

  Not very exciting, but still quite helpful.
Dido
 NPC, 113 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 08:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido finally teleports and says, "Alright you..."
He swings his sword at the skeleton in front of Kitau and causes both of them to be marked by his divine sanction!


Move: To shards
Standard: Valorous Smite v shard1. Hit(17)!
 dmg: 13

both shards marked by divine sanction.


Shard 1 HP: 39 - 13 = 26

Callie
 NPC, 190 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 8 Feb 2014
at 01:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Thanks, Terdisas!" and rushes on into combat. "Sorry. Gotta be closer than that to do THIS!" she throws a burst of radiant energy that slams one of the skeletons against a wall! The other skelly seems to not get hit.


Standard: Turn Undead. Miss(10) Miss(11) reroll 3's! Hit(25)!
 dmg: 15 radiant and push 2 and immobilized


Shard 1 HP: 26 - 15 - 5(vulnerable) = 6

Mittens
 GM, 626 posts
Sat 8 Feb 2014
at 02:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits steps away from the two skeletons and blows them back into a corner with beguiling strands, defeating one of them.  As expected, it bursts into an explosion of bone shards, injuring Kitau and Dido both.  Kitau grabs Dido by the belt, drags him away from the last boneshard, and finishes it off with her javelin!  It explodes, but the two were just far enough away to not be harmed!  Kitau then drops to one knee, black ichor oozing from her wound.  Meanwhile the Tieflings continue covering up mirrors.  "That all of 'em?"

The gnoll runs to the exit.  "Blast!  Who put this dire boar in the way of the exit!?"

The big piggy growls at him and attacks!

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:12, Sat 08 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 114 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 8 Feb 2014
at 03:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido puts a glowing hand on Kitau's shoulder and the shards of bone that hurt her drop out of her as her wounds begin to heal.

Callie blows a kiss to Mittens before quickly going to help extract the necrotic gunk from Kitau.


Dido: Lay on Hands. Dido spends surge, Kitau gains her surge value (11) hp.

Callie: Minor Healing Word on Mittens, Minor Moon Touched on Kitau (heal for 3), Standard Heal check on Kitau to stop the ongoing. success!


Kitau HP: 9 + 11 + 3 = 23
Mittens HP: 14 + 23 =
37

Terdisas
 GM, 588 posts
Sat 8 Feb 2014
at 03:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas covers up the last remaining pillar, than looks to see that yes, his friends have completely obliterated the skeletons while he wasn't looking.  As well as Necrotic BBQ Sauced when he wasn't looking.  And healed while he was looking.

  "I am glad that it was nothing you could not handle without me, but I do wish I could have been a bit more direct help."

  Superbird, still by the door, chirps "I have conflicted feelings about this hairy vs hairy conflict."
Mittens
 GM, 627 posts
Sat 8 Feb 2014
at 03:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Thanks!" Mittens and Kitau say in unison.

"OW!  I'm going to turn you into bacon for that, pig!" the Gnoll screams

They hear things getting violent around the corner and rush to investigate.

"That's our friend's pet!  Don't hurt it!"
Dido
 NPC, 115 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 04:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Never a dull moment..." before rushing off in the direction of the gnoll with everyone else. "Hang on! We're on our way!"


Double move to Kitau

This message was last edited by the player at 04:44, Mon 10 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 589 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 04:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "As much as I hate to say it, the Boar started it."  Terdisas comments, as he moves back through the room.  "Not that such excuses will still let us get paid if the boar turns up dead."

OOC: Double Move.  Also, was milestone?  Things get hazy when combats are months apart.
Callie
 NPC, 191 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 05:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Steeltooth's been tortured by gnolls since he got here! How's he supposed to know any different?" Callie pleas, feeling she had to stand up for the poor, confused pig. "Whoever you are, just go the other direction and we'll protect you!" she rushes just past Kitau and Dido.


Double move, lands her just in front of Kitau and Dido
Mittens
 GM, 629 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 05:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Continue covering mirrors," Damakos says, "Got it."

He and his compatriot continue to cover mirrors, eyes closed.

"OINK!" the dire boar roars as it gores the gnoll who yelps in pain.

Mits points her staff and demands, "Drop your weapon and step away from the pig or..."

Kitau javelins the gnoll!

"Or that."


The gnoll snarls, jabs the pig in the face, then steps back.  She hides like a sissy behind a pillar and magic missiles.

"And that."

"Hey!  I stepped away from it!"
Dido
 NPC, 116 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 05:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido finishes his sprint by running to be in between the boar and the gnoll. He reaches one hand to put it on the boar's snout and the other hand to hold up a shield towards the gnoll. He looks up at the boar with a pleading expression and headshakes, shushing the pig. "It's OK. This one's a prisoner." he says as calmly as he can to Steeltooth, hoping it had been trained what the word prisoner means.


Double move to be between boar and gnoll!
Terdisas
 GM, 590 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 05:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas takes a moment to facepalm, as Kitau and Mittens do the opposite of what Callie said.  This moment of luxury taken as people gouge bits from eachother, he looks to the Boar and yells "Stop making yourself more trouble than the than you are worth, or I will kill you with your own namesake."

  The boar suddenly sits, and starts crying piggy tears.  But at least it's not trying to kill anyone anymore.

  Terdisas turns to the Gnoll, "I am sorry for my friends violently protecting our paycheck, but considering there is a Dragon in our future I will finish the job if this doesn't stop right now, and from what I can gather violently exploding can be a worse fate than stab wounds."

  "Chirp, Damn dude. That's harsh."

  OOC: Intimidate, high roller success on Boar.  Action point (because intimidate is standard in combat, I might get away with it because im not fighting but just bein safe) Success vs Gnoll.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:51, Mon 10 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 192 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 06:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie hurries over to the boar and gnoll. "OK! ...OK... is everyone calm now? Please everyone? Just calm down. I will heal you all." She's not going to contradict Ter. She would rather be stabbed to death than become unrecognizable chunks on the walls. Although exploding DOES have the advantage of a quick death, she would rather her friends have a chance of closure if she ever does die.

Callie pets the pig and rubs her cheek against him before kissing her hand and then petting the pig with said hand. The pig's wounds begin closing.


Double move to Pig, Dido, and Gnoll
Minor: Healing Word. Rolled 11(2d6+3). +21(surge)=32


Pig HP: 42 + 32 = 74

This message was last edited by the player at 06:02, Mon 10 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 630 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 06:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Looks like someone already covered this last one," Damakos comments, cautiously peeking an eye open.  He heads over to the altar to loot it.

The giant piggy oinks and licks Callie's face in gratitude.  Kitau draws her axes and approaches the gnoll who points his spear at her!

"Back off!"

Kitau jumps up, knees him in the teeth, and brings the hilts of her axes down on his shoulders in one fluid motion, knocking him out cold.

"Warned him to drop his weapon," Mittens mutters.
Dido
 NPC, 117 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 06:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Thanks, everyone. Now to take this moment to catch our breath." he flops to his butt and casually ties up the gnoll while sitting.


Gonna rest, healing word to those who need the extra HP if such extra is needed, then rest more.
Terdisas
 GM, 591 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 06:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  There, the Boar has surrendered, Terdisas made his roll for the Gnoll surrendering, and now everything is going to clam dow- "Seriously, what the censored.  Of course he isn't going to trust Kitau when she stabs him after nearly everyone else says we'll keep him from harm Mittens."

  "Tweet, I take it back bossman, waste of an action point."
Callie
 NPC, 193 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 06:40
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie pulls Kitau close to kiss her cheek, causing Kitau's wounds to close. She looks at Terdisas. "Thanks for helping with calming the situation, Terdisas. It is calm now, though. So let's gather together and rest like Dido suggested. All things considered, I think that went better than I expected. I'm very proud of all of you. Now for the record; if we ask someone to surrender, and that someone doesn't drop their weapon right away but isn't attacking anymore, I'll consider that good enough for us to not attack them for the time. Is that acceptable for everyone?"


Rest, Healing word on Kitau, 9+surge regained

Kitau HP: 23 + 20 = 43

Mittens
 GM, 631 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 07:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Well how 'bout that," Damikos says, inspecting the contents of the altar, "Hey, everyone!  Found your mask!  And there's a spare one of each of those mirrors inside this altar.  I'm guessing for when their acolytes decided smashing was the answer.  What's this?  How 'bout that.  There's a booklet with instructions on how to deactivate and reactivate them."

He returns to the group with the book and mask, reading the book.

"Oh, so that's how you were supposed to get out of that prison.  There's a command word that will send those trapped inside the room back out here."

"Handy!" Mits answers, "Thanks!"

Kitau blushes from the kiss, glaring daggers at the gnoll.  "I'll consider it."

To Terdisas she answers, "If by 'nearly everyone else,' you mean, 'One out of eight.'  Callie was the only one to offer to protect him from the pig.  Which I was conflicted about.  The gnoll hurt a friend of mine unprovoked.  I'd have laughed at his corpse if he died a piggy death."

Mits shrugs and answers Callie.  "I doubt the same courtesy will ever be extended to us outside some super arrogant enemy who thinks we're harmless even when armed, but sure, I'll give it a shot, Callie."
Terdisas
 GM, 592 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 07:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I don't care enough about them that I will cry if Kitau rips out his heart and eats it right now."  "Chirp, not that I wouldn't pay five gold and two silver to see that."  Terdisas ignores his familiar,  "So much as I am annoyed with the whole 'let's stab and maim problems that have already been solved peacefully... So far as my yelling at people I may explode them is peaceful."

  His thoughts turn to Mittens's past solution to an upset Kitau over prisoners not being dead that second instead of a few hours later, is to light them on fire.  Terdisas may not fall close enough to Good to leave Unaligned, but he was also raised to be practical when it came to violence, crime, and the mixing of the two.

  Sure, the Gnoll might very well have decided to suicidally attack them like so many have before.  But then it wouldn't be while Dido is deliberately putting himself in harms way instead of smashing things with a hammer.
Dido
 NPC, 118 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 07:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie turns to Damakos and says, "Thanks, Damakos! That's extremely helpful! Now that we know all that, we could retrieve the mirror that's still in that enclosed room."

Dido says, "Cut us some slack, Terdisas. Just like Steeltooth is used to being tortured by gnolls, so too are the rest of us used to needing to defend ourselves or die. It's not as easy for most people to exit combat mentality as it may be for you or Callie. As much as I like peaceful solutions, that guy pretty much offered to kill me even when I was offering kindness, and Kitau was present for that. In my mind anyway, that guy was a threat to my life as long as he had his weapon. Perhaps it was arrogant of me, but I was also sure I could take a hit from him. Kitau, however, likely didn't want to wait to see my blood get drawn."

Callie says, "And we have a protocol for future incidents now. And what's more; Kitau didn't kill the gnoll. Everything is OK now. But is there something you would like to hear, Terdisas?" she glances at the gnoll. Dido is done tying the dude up, so Callie offers a prayer for the gnoll, healing him.


Healing Word on gnoll: 6+21(surge)=27

Gnoll HP: -17 + 27(haha 4e brings you to 0 first) = 27!

This message was last edited by the player at 07:56, Mon 10 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 632 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 07:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnoll regains consciousness and is to flustered to say anything other than, "Stupid pig."

Kitau nods to Dido then offers Terdisas a hankie.

Mittens takes a look at the book Damikos is reading.  "Tartar?"

Bamf!  The mirror that was in the trap room appears at her feet.  She and the two tieflings look at it out of reflex and Bamf! Mits and Damikos both teleport painfully to be around the corner!

"Idiot cat!"

"Ouch."

Bamf!  The familiar smell of brimstone and brutish voice accompanies the return of the Balgura out in the hallway!

"The hells?!  Here again?!"
Kitau
 Player, 35 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The pig grunts nervously, backs away, and hides behind a pillar.  Kitau steps toward the entrance, javelin at the ready.
Terdisas
 GM, 593 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "That is exactly my point Dido, while the Gnoll was being a threatening idiot they only bothered to stab the boar trying to kill them, because they did not want to just sit there and die before we got around to getting it to stop.  Then Kitau stabs them, and the Gnoll doesn't even even fight back against her, or Mittens, or any of us except the violent pet of some dwarf."

  He accepts the hankie because why not, "It isn't if the Gnoll deserves it or not, which they probably did.  It is the pathetic circumstances around it where the worst thing he did to us is make threats, and whine without even fighting back when we stab him.  How pathetic a Gnoll is it when they just let someone walk right up to them and axe them twice, without taking a swing back."

  Then there is the familiar sound of recurring demon, and Terdisas sighs melodramatically (but no snorting involved).  "Of course, after all that talk against what I feel is needless violence, here comes someone which I desire to perform so much needless carnage against Bane would say 'dud, that's kind of extreme'."
Callie
 NPC, 194 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie puts a finger to her mouth, takes her sword from off her back, and walks over to the doorway, hiding just around the corner. She holds the giant sword ready for when that demon inevitably walks by.


Move: To doorway, back flat up against the wall and sword pointed away from doorway.
Standard: Readied Basic Melee v Demon. Trigger: Demon walks through door to attack.

Terdisas
 GM, 594 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  The Sorcerer steps up somewhat behind his friends, and readies himself to fire a chunk of ice right in the stupid demon's face.  A harder shot (one he only makes by 1), but by now he's got an idea of how this idiot demon works, and the long term benefits will pay off.
Move: duh.
Standard: Readied dragon frost (no push), hits 21 fort (demon has 20).  15 Cold DMG, reduced to 5 from variable resist.

Demon HP: 98-5= 93/108
Durpy Demon
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I know that voice!" the demon roars, "This time you die, sorcerer!"

He rounds the corner and gets blasted and javelined!

"The gnome!  You're first because you're in my way!"

It charges and gets attacked by Callie on it's way to whiffing Kitau!
Mittens
 GM, 633 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Hustle, hustle, hustle!" Mits narrates as she runs over to Terdisas, "Note to self.  Get elemental staffs for tricking demon resistance with."

She looks at the frost staff in her hand.  "Oh look!  A frost staff!"

Kitau slashes the demon.  The tiefling girl covers the mirror.
Dido
 NPC, 119 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie swings her sword, but hacks at just the wrong angle and barely misses, clanging against the wall instead! But she quickly recuperates her pride with a taunt, "How many times do we have to squash you like a bug before you get the picture? You must be the STUPIDEST demon there is!"

Dido says, "No. You face ME first! I don't like hitting handicapped people, but you're evil and I won't abide someone attacking my friends!" with that, he slams his hammer down on the demon's toe, crushing it.


Move: Shift to block the demon's path
Minor: Divine Challenge
Standard: Strength from Valor v demon. Hit(25)!
 dmg: 7


Demon HP: 85 - 7 = 78

This message was last edited by the player at 08:41, Mon 10 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 195 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie lets one of her hands free of her sword and holds her holy symbol in the direction of the demon before BLASTING the demon and her allies with holy radiance! The demon doesn't get harmed by it, but Callie's allies gain something from it as they all feel tougher.


Hymn of Resurgence v demon. Miss(10)

Allies all gain 5 temp hp

Stupid Demon
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I hate you sanctimonious paladins!"

Whiff whiff.
Terdisas
 GM, 595 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas nods to Mittens, "True enough, though perhaps somewhere down the line you shall discover a Staff that allows something a demons multiple choice protection can not counter." Granted, necrotic damage is countered by many undead, poison immunities abound, etc.  Acid is cool though.

  The sorcerer decides to wait until the Demon has already taken it's turn left itself off guard, before blasting it off it's feet with a bolt of lightning.
Standard: Readied action, Pinning Bolt.  Hits.  20 Lightning DMG.  Knocks target prone, and slows them until End Of My Next Turn.

Demon HP: 78-20=58/108

Dido
 NPC, 120 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 08:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido blocks the demon with his shield before slamming his hammer into the demon's kneecap! Thanks for the inspiration, Matt! "You must hate yourself MORE because you keep coming back to be humiliated! KNEEL!" and thanks to timing, the dude is forced prone by Terdisas.


Standard: Valorous Smite v Demon. Hit(22)!
 dmg: 16


Demon HP: 58 - 16 = 42

Mittens
 GM, 634 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 09:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
FWOOSH!  Mittens manages to angle her signature burning hands just so that it hits only the demon!  The tieflings step forward to stab at the fallen demon.  Kitau carves open its chest cavity through it's back, yanks out it's beating heart, and tosses it at Terdisas.

The demon doesn't even get a chance to give a come-back before its body dissolves to smoke.  The gnoll giggles.
Terdisas
 GM, 596 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 09:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Ter makes the catch (good Dex and all), and says "Thank you Kitau.  Maybe we can feed it to Steeltusk, or keep it as a morbid desk accessory."  "Chirp, we don't have a desk these days bossman."
Callie
 NPC, 196 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 17:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Ewe! That is absolutely gross!" she waves her hand in Ter's direction and turns her head away with squinted eyes and tongue out. Notably, she didn't say the team couldn't keep it. Callie then turns her attention to the gnoll. "Not a friend of yours, I take it..."

Dido looks at the others. "Do NOT eat that or feed it that to anyone you care about! It will be bad for your health at best, and corrupt your soul at worst. Still, I'll be surprised if it lasts any longer than a few minutes, given how his body vanished... but even if it does stay around, are we in the business of collecting the body parts of our enemies?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:26, Mon 10 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 635 posts
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 02:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Nope," the gnoll answers, "Guy's a total jerk.  Hate him."

Sure enough, the heart also dissolves into smoke.  Kitau takes a rest.

"At least it would have been non-fattening?" Mittens offers.

"Darnit!  I was going to test the mirror on him!"
Terdisas
 GM, 597 posts
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 02:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
   Superbird comments "Chirp, there Dido goes being all sensible again."

  Terdisas looks to mittens, "As amusing as it is to think of the demon locked up in that enclosure, it would probably just explode in rage, possibly literally, and return home if it had worked."
Callie
 NPC, 197 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 02:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "We can test it on the other gnolls if they come our way. But for now, let's rest and make our way to the next spot." She looks at Damakos and Nemeia and says, "Again; thanks so much for your help. I have a feeling you'll save us loads of time by the end."

Dido seems calmer once the heart vanishes. To Superbird, he smirks. To Terdisas, he says, "If he hadn't, though, would have been poetic justice to have him in the same room with the gnolls who were serving him. Because it wouldn't take long for him to kill them for failing or some other retarded self-defeating villainous thoughts. As it is, if we trap the other gnolls in that room, chances are they'll eventually turn on each other just to sate their hunger, if not their blood lust."
Mittens
 GM, 636 posts
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 03:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Yeah, prolly," Mits agrees generically.

After a short rest, Mits picks up the black mirror, black cloth draped over it.  The familiar sound of hyena can be heard approaching from around the corner.  Kitau gets ready for another fight.

"I say let 'em come to us," Mits suggests, pointing at the mirror.
Terdisas
 GM, 598 posts
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 03:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas nods,  "I am inclined to agree at this point.  I wonder what has made this place suddenly so popular all of a sudden, beyond our usual luck with timing and ancient lairs."  Will Dido and Callie even have any heal surges left by the time they deal with the apparent dragon locked away somewhere?
Callie
 NPC, 198 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 03:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie nods and quietly says, "Take cover behind the pillars." before she herself takes cover behind the dire boar.

Dido nods and takes cover.


Inits: Callie 14, Dido 11
Mittens
 GM, 637 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 00:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Need to be in the open for the mirror to work," Mittens says, stepping into the open, "Could use someone to stand between mirror and enemy."

Kitau stands in front of Mittens.  Sure enough, four hyenas run into the room and vanish the moment they catch sight of the mirror.

"Close your eyes and fight with your ears!" the tied up gnoll shouts into the hall, "If you look into their mirror you'll be trapped!  Just come in straight!"

Two gnoll marauders charge into the room, eyes closed, and slash Kitau bloody!

"Can't have this one giving them instructions," Mittens says, stepping forward.

FWOOSH!  All three gnolls in the room are lit on fire!

"In case you were wondering that's nonlethal magical fire damage to the helpless jerk, Terdisas."

A huntmaster shoots an arrow into Kitau, nearly killing her!  Kitau slashes back at one of the gnoll with such fury it staggers back!
Dido
 NPC, 122 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 00:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido steps to flank with Kitau. He looks furious. He hits the gnoll for a decent chunk while yelling a primal scream at all the gnolls present, causing attention to be drawn to him.


Move: to flank with Kitau
Standard: Valorous Smite v Marauder 1. Hit(21)!
 dmg: 10
 Every enemy in 3 of Dido are subject to his divine sanction


Marauder 1 HP: 64 - 10 = 54

This message was last edited by the player at 00:55, Wed 12 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 199 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 00:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie steps out from hiding. She doesn't bother talking to the tattle-tail yet. She'll save that for later and is glad to hear Mittens say she's going nonlethal. Callie blows a kiss to Kitau, healing her wounds! Then shoots that wave of radiance her team is familiar with that makes them all slightly tougher.


Minor: Healing Word: 12(2d6+3) + 11(surge) = 23
Standard: Hymn of Resurgence. Misses the Marauder
 All allies gain +5 thp


Kitau HP: 4 + 23 + 5thp = 27+5thp 5 surges - 1 = 4/8 surges

This message was last edited by the player at 00:59, Wed 12 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 599 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 01:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Yes, this Gnoll is only getting dumber.  Somehow, to my amazement in the face of much past stupidity." Stupid Gnoll helping his friends, who would do tha-...  You have got to stop applying logic to enemy actions Terdisas, it's not helping.

  "Chirp, no, no.  Keep thinking he will see reason.  I want to see how deep this goes bossman."

  The sorcerer shoots the closest marauder in the face with a rather lackluster (for him) thunder wave, and then 'sneaks' behind a pillar, only getting away with it because they have their eyes closed.
Standard: Thunder Slam vs Marauder #???, hits.  19 DMG.  no push.

Marauder ??? HP: 64-19= 45/84   

Mittens
 GM, 638 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 01:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The tieflings charge the nearest gnoll!  The maurauders attack Dido and Kitau, missing their marks, and one of them is punished with divine radiance!  Mits covered over the mirror, hoping the bigmouth would say, "You can open your eyes now," but the gnoll figured out her plan and just giggled.  Oh well.  Fwoom!  More fire!  The taddle-tale passes out.  The huntmaster fires at where he heard the scream come from, but the arrow flies harmlessly over Dido's shoulder.
Kitau
 Player, 36 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 02:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau hacks up the nearby marauder to near dead then steps over to the huntmaster.
Terdisas
 GM, 600 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 02:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas rounds the pillar to stop by Dido, and kerzaps the most wounded Gnoll so hard he doesn't even need a damage roll, sending a mild ochie into the face of the huntmaster.

  As the arrow zips through where a taller Paladin's head would be, Superbird comments "Tweet, You'd think such a tall guy would be an easier target.
Move: duh.
Standard: Lightning Strike vs maurader, hits, kills.  Small arc to huntmaster 4 DMG.

Bird Bluff: Dido is incredibly tall we swear.

Marauder 2 HP: 12-SORCERER!=Dead
Huntmaster HP: 36-4= 32/50

Dido
 NPC, 123 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 02:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido rushes past the gnoll he was fighting to be next to Kitau and swings his hammer at the Huntmaster, who dodges it. Dido bursts with holy radiance, causing both remaining gnolls to be under his divine sanction!


Move: To Huntmaster. Haha blind enemy means no AoO
Minor: Call of Challenge (all enemies subject to divine sanction)
Standard: Valiant Strike v Huntmaster. Miss(14)


If Marauder attacks anyone but Dido, he dies before he can even finish the attack.

Callie
 NPC, 200 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 02:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie heads forward, trusting Dido's challenge to keep her safe even if the marauder attacks her. She gives Kitau another heal, the gnome's wounds completely gone and good as new! She then holds up her hand and a glowing yellow lance appears in it. She throws the lance at the gnoll and it hits, granting Kitau an opening!


Minor: Healing Word; 12(2d6+3) + 11(surge) = 23
Standard: Lance of Faith v Huntmaster. Hit(20)!
 dmg: 8


Huntmaster HP: 32 - 8 = 24
Kitau HP: 27 + 23 =
FULL+5thp

Mittens
 GM, 639 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 02:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The tieflings finish off the last maurauder.  Mits blasts the huntmaster with a magic missile.  The huntmaster backs up a step to shoot at Dido, but fumbles the arrow and it drops to the ground.
Terdisas
 GM, 601 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 02:38
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas steps to a better firing position, and seeing the crowd of allies, is again reminded of his self conscious decisions to avoid area attacks (this may change at level 7).  He fires an angry curl of lightning over the heads of those he'd rather not hit, blasting the Huntmaster's legs so hard it does a double front flip and cracks it's skull open on the stone floor on landing.

  "Chirp, it's not the fall that kills you."  "Actually, that is exactly what killed him."  "What am I supposed to tweeting say then?  That it's not the not the fall that kills you? That's stupid."

OOC Also, oh hey. Milestone? probably, it's been two encounters since I last thought it might have been.
Dido
 NPC, 124 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 02:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido looks at Kitau, looks her over and deduces she's fine. "Kitau... sorry." he says, eyes watering as he wears a rather serious frown. He goes over to a pillar and sits to rest up.

Callie looks around and sees her allies are fine. But she asks anyway. "Is everyone OK?" she isn't sure what Dido is sorry about or why he sulking, but she knows she is quite angry with the gnoll. Once she is sure everyone is OK, she goes to the KO tied-up gnoll.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:53, Wed 12 Feb 2014.

Kitau
 Player, 37 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 03:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau nods to Callie then looks at Dido, confused.  "For what?"

Mits covers the mirror.  "Doing great, thanks, Callie.  Shall we send the baddies to the time-out room, then?"

To Terdisas she teases, "I thought it was the huge bolt of magical KABOOM that killed him."
Terdisas
 GM, 602 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 03:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Remember, if he looks unconcious he might be faking.  Better hit him again, chirp."  Yeah, the sympathy meter has been depleted.

  "He is sorry for his mere presence not keeping us from any an all harm.  Though I do admit, it would be nice if it worked out that way without him getting hit in the face constantly."
Dido
 NPC, 125 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 03:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "I allowed you to take point for a change. And you got seriously hurt for it. I should have protected you. I should have taken point."

Callie sits on the gnoll's chest. She looks over her shoulder towards Dido. "Kitau handled herself expertly, Dido. And the fact of the matter is, she didn't go down." she then looks down at the gnoll and starts gently slapping him to wake him.
Kitau
 Player, 38 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 03:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau skews her lips and shrugs her shoulders.  She leans over to dry Dido's eyes.

"They were just getting extremely lucky with their attacks," Mittens concludes, using prestidigitation to make the blood on Kitau's armor vanish, "And Kitau doesn't look any worse for the wear."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:30, Wed 12 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 603 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 03:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "A good point mittens, though I wonder if one of these days you will be able to only clean off her own blood and leave the rest."  This blood is from the demon, and this blood is from the gnoll, and this blood is from a skeleton I hit so hard it learned to bleed again.
Callie
 NPC, 201 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 04:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido blushes as Kitau wipes his tears away. "Callie's right you know... it sure is nice watching your expert combat prowess."

Callie continues to try to wake the gnoll. She glances at Terdisas. "...why? That would stink real fast."
Mittens
 GM, 640 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 04:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnoll wakes up and giggles.

"Mittens will neither confirm nor deny the ability to differentiate between blood stains with prestidigitation.  Mostly because she doesn't know..."

She drags the dead huntmaster over to another blood splatter and begins to experiment, soon discovering the magic simply cleans.  It does not partly clean.

Kitau smirks and nudges Dido's chin.  She heads over to giggles and scowls at him.
Terdisas
 GM, 604 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 04:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Just working on the theory that maybe if bits of their betters are still in her hair, maybe they won't want to join them.  Then again, I seem to be vastly overestimating the common sense of our enemies of late."
Callie
 NPC, 202 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 05:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Oh. You think that was funny. Give me one good reason to not hurt, maim, or kill you. And make it a good one."

Dido is blushing even more, but he overhears what's going on and it reminds him how ticked off he is at the gnoll. He loses his blush and heads over to the others.
Mittens
 GM, 641 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 05:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"What I say won't matter," the gnoll answers, "You all knocked me down and tied me up for trying to get outta here.  But it's still funny that jerk got his face splattered on the ground."

Kitau sweatdrops, looking over at the dead huntmaster.

"Add one to Terdisas' kill count," Mittens says, writing in her book, "Unless that was non-lethal kaboom and it really was the fall that killed him."
Terdisas
 GM, 605 posts
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 05:14
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Honestly, I do not really care at this point when it comes to things trying to harm us in here."  "Tweet, bossman doesn't have to worry about darkside points."
Narrator
 player, 236 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 05:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The spectral figure of a minotaur appears among the
PCs and emits a wail of rage and anguish before
disappearing again.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:15, Wed 12 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 203 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 05:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "You are right. We knocked you out for not dropping your weapon when you were asked to. We didn't kill you. And you endangered our lives. It does matter what you say. We spared your life twice now. What makes you think you have no chance to be spared a third time?"

Dido says, "I'd say we're wasting our time, but we're resting. Again."

Dido glances over towards Superbird. "Dark side points...? We ALL have to worry about falling to the darkness, Superbird."

Callie and Dido only glance at the minotaur before going back to what they were up to. At this point, it's become kind of like that startling sound the heater gives off once in a while.
Mittens
 GM, 643 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 04:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Say the word and I'll mirror him," Mittens says, reaching to lift the cloth off the black mirror.

"Y-You wouldn't!" the gnoll answers immediately squinting his eyes closed, "What do you want from me?!  I'll do anything!  Just don't send me back to that room!"

Kitau smirks and thumbs-ups at Mits.
Terdisas
 GM, 606 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 04:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Magic has made great strides in timeout technology, chirp."

  "Yes, my sympathy and patience have been worn down by this place.  You would think the keep with the portal into the shadowfell would have done that more, but no, maybe it's the comparative pettyness of slavery to killing everything alive."
Callie
 NPC, 204 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 04:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie looks at the rest of her team. "...how about the rest of you. Any reasons you can think of to give him a third chance? Fool me twice and all that. Can't blame him for defending himself against Steeltooth. Can't blame him for not dropping his weapon. CAN blame him for warning the others about the mirrors. But he's about the sanest gnoll we've ever met."

Dido says, "...that's not saying much. Look. He's evil, we rescued him, gave him a chance, and he endangered all of us. We just can't trust him."
Mittens
 GM, 644 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 05:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits shrugs.  "Can't think of a good reason to have given him a second chance much less a fourth.  Because allowing him to live after harming Dido unprovoked counts as his second chance."

Kitau blows up on her hair and headshakes.

"You can't make me open my eyes!  I'm not going back!" the gnoll screams.

"Fine.  We'll just throw you in the pig's cage with the other pig torturers."
Terdisas
 GM, 607 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 05:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Tweet, have you considered saying sorry?  Or is that a strange and bizarre word."

  "I was already looking stupid for thinking he wouldn't be a problem.  "Chirp,Starving to death in isolation would probably end up faster and less painful than what Mittens and Kitau would do to him.  Like that, see?
Callie
 NPC, 205 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 05:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie sighs, as if in relief. "...thanks, Mittens. Putting him in a cage sounds like the right thing to do for now."

She starts heading with the others to the cage.

Dido doesn't object.
Mittens
 GM, 645 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The gnoll is put in time-out with the others.  The door to the next area is opened.

Before you is a scene torn from the Abyss. You stand on a small
stone platform overlooking two large pools of blood. A stone
walkway divides the room and sits just above the surface of the
pools. On opposite sides of the room, large bronze statues of
snarling minotaurs face each other. Each minotaur statue holds
a long barbed whip, as if about to strike. A smaller minotaur
statue stands beside each of the doors leading into this place.
Flanking the large statue on the far side of the room are two
pedestals that rise out of the blood. On one pedestal rests a gray
dagger-sized blade. On the other rests a matching hilt.


Perception
✦ DC 18: The character spots bloodstains on the statues’ scourges.
✦ DC 22: The character notices that the statues are built to move
their arms and torsos.
✦ DC 27: Several dark forms lie below the surface of the pools of
blood.

"That's a lot of tomato juice,"
Mittens comments, "And somehow hasn't gone bad.  Need to learn this magic."
Terdisas
 GM, 608 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird wingflaps,  "I think there are blood sharks in the blood, chirp."

  "Hmm, giant blood covered statues by the items we need...  Yeah, those will probably try to kill us."

  The sorcerer steps up behind Dido, and prepares to try and shoot anything actively attempting to murder them with a facefull of ice.

EDIT: duhs, and ready action dragonfrost.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:22, Thu 13 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 206 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie nods and says, "Careful, everyone. Not like I need to tell you that."


Readied Sacred Flame for enemy that gets within 5 of Callie.
Mittens
 GM, 646 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The ripple in the blood moves.  Kitau looks over to Dido expectantly.  Mits readies an attack as well.

"So... Why aren't we just blasting the blood sharks, then?"
Callie
 NPC, 207 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido enters the chamber, holding his hammer and shield up.
He gets attacked and WHAM! Everyone lets loose on him!


Callie's readied Sacred Flame v Evistros. Hit(21)!
 dmg: 11
 Dido gains 5 thp before Evistros can even touch him!


Evistros HP: 44 - 11 = 33
Dido
 NPC, 126 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido smacks the Evistro across the face with his hammer. "BEAT it, doofus!"


Valorous Smite v Evistros. Hit(20)!
 dmg: 11


Evistro HP: 33 - 11 = 22

Superbird
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Tweet, because massive hit penalties even if you guess where they are hiding.  Just wait for them to-"  The first demon Arglebargles up out of the blood, and gets shot in the face, three times, along with stabbed and hammered for it's troubles.  "Dumber than some Gnolls we Gnowl... Know."
Narrator
 player, 237 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The tieflings step forward and stop at the doorway in awe of what they see.

"Dear gods...."
Terdisas
 GM, 609 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 06:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas shoots a bolt of lightning into the Evistro's face, and it staggers, tilting forward coughing smoke before it catches itself and roars.  Which is impressive when it's missing it's lips.

  "Oh no! It's too stupid to die! chirp"  While his familiar handles commenting on the Demon, Terdisas says to the Teiflings "This is only the second worst room filled entirely with blood I have seen.  I mean, it has a door, stairs, no gaping portal to the shadowfell attempting to drag is inside it."



Standard: L strike vs Evistro 1.  hits.  21 Lightning DMG.

Evistro 1 HP: 22-21= 1.

Callie
 NPC, 208 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 07:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie steps up to the demon, thrusts her bastard sword right through its mid-section, then puts her boot to him and Sparta-kicks him off her sword. "Drown in the blood you love so much, demon!" she then glares at the next demon. "Surrender!"


Move: next to Dido to be adjacent to Evistro
Callie melee basic v Evistro. Hit(28)!
 dmg: doesn't matter.


Evistro HP: 1 - whatever = dead

Mittens
 GM, 647 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 07:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits switches to her frost staff and magic missiles one of the demon with a cold bolt.  It shrugs off the damage, laughing at her.  Kitau switches to her shortbow and fires a pair of arrows into the nearest enemy.

WHOOSH!  The giant minotaur statue animates and swings its whip in a wide arc, almost knocking Callie into the blood pool!  The whip does hit Kitau, Mittens, the two tieflings, and the two demons!
Dido
 NPC, 127 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 07:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Destroy the statue!" and throws his hammer at it. The hammer clangs against the statue then returns to Dido.


Basic thrown. Miss(17)
Narrator
 player, 238 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 07:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Too dangerous!" Damakos shouts, getting up to run back into the hallway, "Retreat!"

His partner retreats with him.
Terdisas
 GM, 610 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 07:40
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "A good idea, but later when the things that can move are dealt with."  He's talking to Dido, not the Teiflings.  Way to make Terdisas seem brave by comparison even though he is only unharmed because of hiding behind even the wizard.

  On that note, The wizard repositions but does not leave the hallway, snapping off a crack of thunder into the Demon Mitten's kindly used a turn to set to Cold resist and hurling it back against the walkway.
Move: duh. Stanard: Thunder Slam vs Evistro 2, hits.  22 Thunder DMG, push 3.

Evistro 2 HP: 67-22= 45/90   Bloodied

Callie
 NPC, 209 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 07:46
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie turns and blasts her allies with a wave of holy energy! "A retreat might not be a bad idea... Get your attacks in and fall back to the hallway!" she moves to where the tieflings went.


Divine Glow! Blast 3
 Effect: Allies in the blast gain +2 power bonus to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Mittens
 GM, 648 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 08:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits and Kitau stand back up and head for the hallway.  Kitau grabs and drags Dido with her.  The evistros approach.  One charges Dido but is held off by the paladin's defenses.  The statue attacks again, knocking down Terdisas, Dido, and the two demons!

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:33, Thu 13 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 128 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 21:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido stands up and brings his hammer down on the demon near him with a crash! "How ironic! That thing attacks you too?!" He then falls back with the others and drags Terdisas with him!


Minor: Divine Challenge on Evistro 3
Standard: Valiant Strike v Evistro 3. Crit!(32)
 dmg: 10
 Crit dmg: (3d6... rolled ALL 1's!) 3
 Power of Protection: One ally withing 5 squares of you gains a +1 power bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn. (Chose Kitau)
ACTION POINT!
Standard: Drag Ter to safety!


Evistro 3 HP: 71 - 13 = 58

This message was last edited by the player at 21:51, Thu 13 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 210 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 22:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie pulls Dido to (more) safety! "Good, everyone. Now the demons will be forced to either not attack, or be the only ones to get hurt by that whip."


Move: Pull Dido
Standard: Readied Lance of Faith v Evistro 3 for when Evistro 3 stands

This message was last edited by the player at 22:09, Thu 13 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 611 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 22:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas is dragged out of harms way, then picked up by the Tiefling lady, how convenient for his walking efforts.  Even if the 'sometimes it does stuff, sometimes it doesn't, whatever' statue hitting him while inside a hallway was a bit unexpected.

  If you bothered to take AoE powers maybe you would know how Blast works by now.

  "Thank you for that."  He fires off a brick of ice at the fallen demon in view, but it bounces off the ground and into the blood pool.  That botch of a shot made, he backs off so Dido won't be stuck in crazy statue range from hall crowding.
Mittens
 GM, 649 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 22:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mittens pulls the cloth off the mirror.  Bamf!  The demons vanish!  She covers it again.

"Ok.  Now to figure out what to do about the giant deadly statues."
Dido
 NPC, 129 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 22:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "We smash them? I mean honestly... they're statues. I don't think the mirrors are going to work on them. But like anything, hit them enough times and they should crumble..."
Terdisas
 GM, 612 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 23:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Sounds about right.  If we're willing to have a bit more patience in the matter, I suppose I could peek around, take a shot, and get dragged back right after by someone else to keep it from hitting me in the face every time I so much as breathe"
Mittens
 GM, 651 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 23:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau doesn't have any bright ideas and shrugs.

"Besides the massive knockdown, slide-you whip," Mittens says, "Part of the issue is that there's that blood pool between us and the statue."

She conjures a map of the room.

"There's about a ten foot gap.  And the pool looked very deep.  Besides how difficult it must be to swim in blood, I get the feeling like there's something else insidious about it.  Like 'non-evil things in the blood are mind-controlled,' or something.  Because the statue consistently tried to force targets into the blood."

"Maybe make a temporary bridge out of the table me and Nemia were playing cards on?" Damikos suggests.

"That... might work.  How big was it?"


"Dunno.  Ten feet would be a stretch, though."

Something catches Mittens' eye and she investigates the nearby magic circle.
Callie
 NPC, 211 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 23:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido nods to Terdisas. "Whatever works..."

Callie says, "Mittens? Whatchya doin?" and she goes to investigate what Mittens is up to.

Dido says, "Let's wait and see what Mitts is up to before we do anything."
Terdisas
 GM, 613 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 23:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "That much blood just sitting there probably is not very healthy."

  Terdisas follows along, and says to Mittens, "Isn't that one of the spots we have to leave a relic in later?"
Mittens
 GM, 652 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 23:40
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits unburies a dusty piece of parchment from off the floor and cleans it off.

"Sweet!  It's a summon dragonling familiar ritual scroll!  I want one!"

She begins setting up the ritual.

"This'll only take a few minutes."
Callie
 NPC, 212 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 23:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie tippy-toes to look at what Mittens is up to. Then smiles. "Dragonling? Sounds cute..."

Dido says, "Too bad familiars are an arcane thing only."

Callie thinks about this...
Terdisas
 GM, 614 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 23:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Oh, well how good could it be if it's just left in the dirt for years, chirp.  Dragonlings are totally lame and in no way a desirable familiar for a Sorcerer.  Superbird bird shifty eyes.

  "Relax, just because Mittens will likely adore the thing doesn't mean I would."  Superbird happy flaps, "Saved by bossmans's crippling fear of explosions!"
Mittens
 GM, 653 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits shrugs, working on the ritual.  "Terdisas must hide that fear well considering how often explosions happen around him without so much as a flinch."

POOF!  Ritual complete!  A tiny little dragonling appears!

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs7...beasties-d6nvk5w.jpg

The dragonling squeaks and churrs!

"Aww!  So cute!  I love you too!  I mean, onsensenay obbldegookgay ibberishjay."

It flitters up to her face and rubs up against her cheek.

"Squeak, churr, squeaketh!"

"Sure.  Here ya go."

Mits creates a magical flame at the tip of her finger which the dragon noms on happily.
Callie
 NPC, 213 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie giggles. "Wow that IS cute..."

Dido says, "Not to sound rude, but does it help our current situation?"
Terdisas
 GM, 615 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Really, hearts?  I could do that, but I won't, chirp."

  Terdisas sighs, and says to Dido "The current situation, only if it risks getting swatted like a bug.  Beyond a quick and easy lesson in Draconic, every so often a spellcaster can channel things like Burning Handds through a Dragonling."
Mittens
 GM, 654 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"What he said," Mittens agrees, "So yes.  I'll be able to attack that statue with one of my best spells without having to worry about burning you and Kitau in the process.  Let's go take a look at the table."

She converses with the dragonling, heading for the room where the Tieflings were found.
Dido
 NPC, 130 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido go with. Dido says, "If the table isn't long enough, are there other tables?"

Callie reaches for the dragon.
Terdisas
 GM, 616 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "If we are lucky, the statue will tip over towards the walkway when broken.  But knowing our luck it will explode into a billion tiny pieces that try to hit us in the face."
Mittens
 GM, 655 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I would think focusing on cutting off the arm with the whip would be best," Damikos suggests, "There's the desk in gnoll boss' room..."

"I've decided to name it Pyrus," Mittens announces.

The dragonling snifs Callie's hand then sucks on her finger with a smile.  The inside of its mouth is almost intolerably hot.  Almost.
Callie
 NPC, 214 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie slowly and gently reaches with her other hand to pull the dragonling into her arms and cradle it, keeping her finger in its mouth. "Pyrus?" She leans to kiss the dragon on the forehead. "Say Superbird... what can you tell me about being a familiar that gets hurt. Does it really hurt?"
Terdisas
 GM, 617 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird shrugs,  "Well, as much as I hate to admit it, familiars are a bunch of sissies.  When I'm close to Bossman, I am invincible, as long as bossman lives, chirp.  When I'm flying around, I would explode if you hit me with a small rock.  How we take it varies, some of us feel it as the annoyance it is, aware of our totally awesome arcane nature.  Others, usually the ones stuck in the mindset of their form, kind of freak out because they exploded.  We won't know for sure with Pyrus until it happens, tweet.

  Superbird is mature enough to not say 'oh he'll totally be cool with it and in no way will get splattered like a bad grape' just because Callie is paying attention to Pyrus.  The little dragon would probably love exploding though.
Mittens
 GM, 656 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 00:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Pyrus just happily enjoys the Callie love, little wisps of smoke rising from its nose.

"Yeah I think I'd likely be a little off-put by exploding the first few times," Mittens thinks aloud.

It becomes apparent that it would take time and proper tools to make a reliable bridge out of the materials available.  And even then, it would take some impressive agility to set it up while being attacked and knocked over.

"Well I came up with another idea.  Grappling hook at end of rope.  Swing across."

Kitau shows that she has a grappling hook.  Pyrus squeaks some at Mits.

"Hmm.  Gibberish gibberish."

Pyrus looks happy and goes back to finger nomming.

"I suppose that's not a terribly bad idea.  Pyrus mentioned I could use mage hand to get a sample of the blood from a distance.  Then Terdisas and I could use arcana on it to figure out its properties like we did with the mirrors.  That way we'll know exactly what to expect."
Callie
 NPC, 215 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie ohs and says, "Definitely. Let's go back and see what we can learn. For all we know, the statues use the blood as fuel..."

She looks at Damikos and Nemeia. "Good thoughts, though."

Then goes back to babying the dragon while Dido leads the way back.
Terdisas
 GM, 618 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Yes, it was a little difficult to pay close attention to the room wide lake of blood with everything else trying to kill us at the time.

  OOC:Take 10 arcana would beat DC Chart, I don't want to depress myself by reading all the super nitpicky 'arcana check can't detect this, this, that, this other thing' fine print  "Your wizard can not recognize a magic missile HUUUUURRRRRRRR"
Mittens
 GM, 657 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Pyrus is in a playful mood.  The dragonling tugs and nibbles on her hair and crawls around inside her backpack if she lets him.

Damikos shrugs.  "Can't all be winners."

Before long Mits and Terdisas figure out that the blood is very potent contact poison.  Kitau looks interested and dips an arrow tip in it and gently blows on it to help it dry.  The blood does not dry.

"So yeah.  Don't touch the magical poison blood."
Callie
 NPC, 216 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "This place keeps giving us weapons... let's collect some into a container and we'll use that if the mirrors don't work."

Dido eyes Callie. "...I'm not so sure about using blood..."

Callie shrugs. "If I was killed here and my blood used as a poison, I'd want the next set of heroes to use my blood as a weapon against the evil denizens here. Sure, it's gross. But I think it'd be poetic justice... a way to let their victims fight back."
Terdisas
 GM, 619 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I can understand your hesitance to use a Demon's swimming pool as a weapon.  But it's basically just fancy poison, that doesn't poison demons."  Superbird chirps "It would work on Devils though, SEMANTICS."

  "We'll run out of it fast enough unless we decide to keep making return trips to this accursed place just for a supply of toxic blood either way."
Mittens
 GM, 658 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Yeah," Mits agrees, "Chances are slim to none that this poison was ever real blood from real creatures.  More likely the fruit punch of the Elemental Chaos just happens to look like blood.  So shall we get started?"

Mits and Kitau get ready to enter the room.

"I think I'm gunna pass on this one," Damikos says, "You guys are brave and noble and all...  doing all this for some people you've never met.  Just uh...  dock our pay or something."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:36, Sat 15 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 131 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido looks confused and says, "Sooo... what's the plan now? Did we make a plan and I missed it somehow? Or are we just going with 'smash statue' like I suggested earlier?"
Terdisas
 GM, 620 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Smashing the statue seems to be the only constant right now.  So let's get on that, and work out the details of crossing with ropes once we can actually look at the room without things trying to kill us"
Mittens
 GM, 659 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Crossing with ropes to the nearest statue was my first idea," Mits clarifies, "There's a ten foot gap between us and nearest statue.  Full of red poison.  Unless Dido and Kitau plan to jump the gap."

Kitau nods.
Dido
 NPC, 132 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 01:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido prepares for plan Terzooka. Or Plan Yoink. Or whatever the plan was. Ter (and whoever else has ranged) get permitted to go out, get yoinked back to the hall and repeat. Hit or Miss, this keeps the team completely from harm and eventually ends with a destroyed statue and a safe unharmed by blood team.

IGNORE THE BELOW!


Dido says, "Alright then." Dido heads to the edge and prepares for swinging! swings a grapple his hammer at the minotaur statue and misses horribly.


Move: To edge of pool
Standard: Readied Action; Swing once a grappled rope is provided! Toss grappling hook hammer at statue. Rolled a 6 + I have no clue =  definitely won't connect even if it was my attack bonus v Reflex. attack value = doesn't hit.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:27, Sat 15 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 621 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 02:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Dido, what in the hells are you doing.  It will just dunk you into the blood long before you can hammer it down."  Oh dear, Terdisas forgot to constantly specify SHOOTING the statue like he did the first two times.  That or Dido's normally nice tendency to want to keep everyone else out of harms way has gone terrible wrong.

  "Chirp, All the talk of bridges and ropes from everyone else must have distracted from 'we will shoot it from comparative saftey' as an idea."


  This post has been Stolen by Carmen Sandiego.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:29, Sat 15 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 660 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 02:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
OR: Pyros flies into the room and breathes fire on the statue!  The statue destroys Pyros.  Five minutes later, the perky dragonling reappears.  Rinse repeat.  The nearby statue collapses to rubble without any of the heroes having to risk entering the room.

"Well that was annoying, but gladly without any real danger to us.  And Damikos was so worried."

"Poison blood pool.  Giant statue that near killed you.  Knocks and drags you into it.  I'll pass on the being flogged and drown in poison."
Callie
 NPC, 217 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 02:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie smiles at Damikos and says, "You did pass on it. We all did."

And enters the room with the others to then work on crossing the blood.
Terdisas
 GM, 622 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 02:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas enters the room with the rest, and now that there is nothing trying to kill his friends finally notices there is another statue across the room.

  In an alternate Shadowrun Universe, the party all puts on their sunglasses and destroy the place by doing front flips with dual Uzis.
Mittens
 GM, 661 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 02:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Magic Missile and Shortbow from Mittens and Kitau help destroy the statue at the far end of the room.

"Now to find a way across..."

Pyros chirps and squees at Mittens.

"Arbagegay.  Comprehensible-Inay."

"Chirp squee gurgle happyyay!"

They converse back and forth a bit.  Mittens blushes.  Conjures a mage hand.  Retrieves the items from the far side of the room.

"OK!  Only one piece left to get.  The cowbell."

She marches back out of the room.
Callie
 NPC, 218 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 03:05
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido collect samples of the blood for use as a weapon later.

"Why the blush, Mittens?" Callie asks with a grin.

That figures. The team needs more cowbell.
Terdisas
 GM, 623 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 03:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  As someone who constantly forgets he can cash in his lightning/thunder damage resist, or fly on a crit, Terdisas has some ideas of what is going through the Wizard's mind.

  As they approach the next area, he says "At this point, I am expecting whatever is waiting for us to throw a tantrum and complain we are not doing things like a proper minotaur."
Mittens
 GM, 662 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 03:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"No reason!" Mittens blurts, "None at all.  Nothing to do with having a power that could have bypassed that entire room from way back in the hallway.  Nope."

Damikos is weirded out.  Pyros nibbles on Mittens' ear.  The group arrives at the next room.  Mage Hand opens the door.

A hot blast of damp air washes over you as the double doors to
this chamber open. The room ahead is carved from black rock.
Here and there, pillars formed of piled bodies stretch from floor
to ceiling. Gibbering mouths, darting eyes, and squirming arms
which end in taloned hands move within the strange columns of
flesh. As one, the forms within the pillars let loose a mournful
howl.
  http://farm6.staticflickr.com/...010_776bf21e7c_b.jpg

"Wow.  Far Realm stuff, that."

She Magic Missiles a pillar.  It is damaged for but a moment.
Terdisas
 GM, 624 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 03:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "...Right, okay.  Unless someone can give me a good reminder of why we are even bothering to gather relics to release a dragon beyond 'Money or valuables, I say <primordal>Still Censored</primordial> this place."

  "Hey, all those creepy bodies on the pillars have eyes.  But if that doesn't work, what bossman said."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 03:26, Sat 15 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 219 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 00:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Because the gnolls here want to use innocent people they've enslaved as sacrifices?"

Dido hefts his shield. "I completely forgot this place had anything to do with valuables."
Mittens
 GM, 663 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 00:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"If you guys like, I can scout the place out with my shadow snake...."

"Cher!" Pyrus says, rushing into the room.

"Looks like Pyrus wants to scout it out."
Terdisas
 GM, 625 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 01:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird already face tested the mirrors, so yeah let the new guy test the lates room of danger.

  "Well, our recent acquaintances were hoping to make some monetary gains here for example.  Though yes, I have no way for saying for certain there is nothing but a dragon past what these relics open."

  "Chirp, if we open it, no prisoners.  If we dont open it, reality will ensure there were totally twenty orphans or something with the dragon, tweet."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:33, Sun 16 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 220 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 01:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "OK... first thing's first. Let's see if the mirrors work on these people pillars."

He was a one-eyed, one-horned, blind, purple people pillar...
Mittens
 GM, 664 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 01:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits uncovers the mirror.  Nothing.  She recovers it.  Pyrus returns.  Incomprehensible conversation follows.  Mits then describes what Pyrus saw.

"Four chambers, each with pillars in them, connected by ten foot by ten foot mini hallways.  There's a bell on an altar at the far end of the furthest chamber.  Unfortunately, Pyrus is unable to manipulate objects of any size.  Considering the creepy pillars are likely waay more harmful, I'm trying to figure out a way to use the teleport mirrors to bypass the pillars.  Think think think.  Nope.  Can't think of a way that is risk free."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:40, Sun 16 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 626 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 01:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Interesting.  I can't imagine that the pillars are just for show, but unless Baphomet worshipers have made any traps in this room ignore familiars specifically-"   "Chirp, which they didn't for those mirrors"  "Or lurking monsters in hidden closets-"  "Those skeletons were jerks, tweet" "Those pillars don't... seem to do anything but look scary.   Huh.  That can not be right."

  "You could always throw a jar of glow worms™ by the creepy tweeting thing to be sure.  If I were a normal bird, those things would probably be a hilarious snack... Or, you know. maybe it's Floor pressure plates?  Me and Pyrus do have a habit of flying"  Amateur pigeons, when I ruin a statue, it glows in the dark.  Thanks Glow worms™!

OOC: Basically, IC musings on the fact Active familiars totally trigger traps, and have before in this very dungeon. As for the glow worms, adventure gear item that came out later that's what it sounds like.  jar of worms that provide dim light, and specify they trigger things that go all 'when a living does X'

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:55, Sun 16 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 133 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 02:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido looks at Superbird and Pyrus. "....care to try clawing their eyes out?"

Callie says, "But... as crazy as this sounds... what if those ARE the innocent people and they've been put this way by some twisted magic?"

Dido says, "OK. Superbird can land on one and hold a conversation with one. If all it does is moan, then its harmless. If it tries to grab and kill Superbird, then it's harmful."
Mittens
 GM, 665 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 02:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The pillars don't converse with anyone.  Their grasping and moaning seems harmless.  Mits approaches close enough to do arcana checks.  "OK.  So.  Not harmless if activated.  Not sure what activates them.  But here's what they do: Grab, bite, spew acid, teleport you, and induce fear and insanity.  Wild guess: they activate the moment the bell is budged.  Idea: Tie a rope to it.  Leave room.  Pull rope...  Acid burns rope.  Forced to run in and get bell anyway.  Or hopefully we pulled the bell to where I can see it and mage hand it."
Terdisas
 GM, 627 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 02:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Well, normally we never have the time deal with such things.  But since we are using your old wizard tricks to deal with problems, I have to ask.  Do you know how to cast tenser's floating disk Mittens?  I hear it is one of the more common rituals for those able to use them.  If you do, it could either bring it out of the room entirely once a rope knocks it onto it, or simply bring it into view of your mage hand."

 <primordial>"Chirp, Wizard spells bypass encounter entirly. That's roleplaying. 4th Ed just like Older editions.</primordial>
Dido
 NPC, 134 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 02:38
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "I like the rope idea. If we're real quick, we can grab the bell. Orrr..."

He smiles a little. "I think I DO have an idea on how to get the bell using the mirrors. But we'll need to get rid of our prisoners for it to work. Basically, I walk in there with a mirror and grab the bell. Then look into the mirror. Teleport out."

Callie says, "Those prisoners are dangerous..."
Mittens
 GM, 666 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 02:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits headshakes to Terdisas.  "Don't have the components."

"Not a bad idea, Dido.  We can do that with the teleport mirrors too if we don't want to deal with the black mirror prisoners.  Just remember that the mirrors aren't guaranteed to work.  They sometimes fail.  So I guess if at first you don't succeed, run for the exit."
Terdisas
 GM, 628 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 03:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas succeeds on his bluff check to not give Mittens an incredulous look at that claim.

  "Not that I like Dido walking face first into a trapped room all alone even with a possible way out, but it does seem to be our best option at the moment.  Once we get out of here though, I'm going to shove a pile of components in your backpack Mittens."
Dido
 NPC, 135 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 03:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Alright." and heads for the room with the bell.
Mittens
 GM, 667 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 03:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"All donations cheerfully accepted," Mittens chimes.

Tense few moments as Dido enters the creepy room.  No sooner does he disappear around a corner than a bunch of demons phase out of the pillars!  "Kill them all!"  The pillars moan and squirm all the more vehemently!

At the altar, Dido sees a familiar looking demon.  A balgura!

"Paladin... Halfling?!  BWAHAHAHA!!!!  Oh I'm going to ENJOY this!"

It and several demons swarm him, dealing grievous wounds!  Kitau shoots the nearest demon and it and another attack her, but she dodges them!
Dido
 NPC, 136 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 03:38
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido winces, but other than that, refuses to give the demons any more show of his pain. "That's right, cowards! Gang up on the little halfling!" He slams his hammer into two of the demons' kidneys! "NOW try to hit me! Bet you CAN'T! HAHAHAHAHA!" yes, he's laughing at them to their faces!


Standard: Strength from Valor v Evistros. Hit(20)! Miss(11) Hit(22)!
 dmg: 9
ACTION POINT!
Standard: Full Defense

AC: 25. +2 from having adjacent enemies. +2 from armor for hitting enemies. +2 from full defence. AC is now 31.


Evistro 3 HP: 90 - 9 = 81
Evistro 5 HP: 90 - 9 =
81

Callie
 NPC, 221 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 03:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie steps back and sings for the group in elven. Hey, she has in-character reasons for that language in particular... Sehanine is an elven god traditionally. And Elven is a pretty language. She likes her some pretty! :)

The group gets the familiar effects of the power as they all feel tougher. One of the demons looks a little weak-kneed. "....why is Dido laughing?"


Move: to back of group in order to catch everyone in blast.
Standard: Hymn of Resurgence v Evistros. Crit(28)! Miss(17)
 Target takes a -2 to all defenses. Whenever an ally hits the target before the end of your next turn, the target is knocked prone.
 Effect: Each ally in blast can choose to either gain 5 temporary HP, or make a saving throw.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:51, Sun 16 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 668 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 04:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Insanity inducing pillars," Mittens surmises.

She tries to uncover the black mirror to show it to the demons, but the cloth gets hung up on one of the edges.  So she uses her frost staff to push back the demons with beguiling strands.

"Hang in there, Dido!  We're coming for you!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:38, Sun 16 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 629 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 04:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Oh for. What.  "I don't know bossman, maybe Pyrus was too cute for the Demons to bother. Or you and mittens are very bad at your jobs detecting magic.  Or this place doesn't give a flapping *guitar noise*"

  Terdisas blasts one demon clear out of view with a crack of thunder, and shreds the knee of the second Evistro in sight.  Terdisas's 'fight to the death' trigger has been flipped.
Standard: thunder slam vs Evistro 1, hits.  pushes. 25 Thunder DMG.
Action Point: Pinning Bolt Vs Evistro 2. Hits. 19 lightning DMG. knocks prone.

Evistro 1 HP: 82-25= 57/90
Evistro 2 HP: 90-19= 71/90


To Do List:  Rent a wrecking ball, destroy a furniture store's table section.  Get taken down by the police while screaming about consistency.

Kitau
 Player, 39 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 04:46
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The pillars start snacking on the Balgura and the evistro near them.

"They attack the demons?" Damikos says, "Whoever made this place is fail.  Not that I'm complaining."

His friend rushes to stab the nearby prone demon.  The Evistro claws at Dido, unable to get through the paladin's defenses.

"Impressive, shortie!  But you can't keep that up forever!"

Kitau runs full tilt past two demons, getting clawed by both of them, to get to Dido.

"SNAP OUT OF IT!" she screams at him, uncovering the mirror.

POOF!  Three of the demons surrounding him teleport to the other mirror, blink a moment, and attack Damikos, Mittens, and Callie!

"What the hells?!" the Balgura exclaims.

"OW!" Mittens screams, "Could use you guys' help back here, Kitau and Dido!"

The other two evistros stand back up, and charge the Tiefling!
Dido
 NPC, 137 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 04:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "But... I... " He shakes his head as if "snapping out of it" and goes to grab the bell. It spikes his hand. "Ow, seriously?!" he takes out the current frustration on the Balgura, hitting its shin. "STAY PUT! I'M COMING!"


Move: To bell to pick it up
Minor: Divine Challenge on Balgura
Standard: Valiant Strike v Balgura. Hit()!
 dmg: 9
 Effect: Kitau gains +1 to all defenses.


Dido HP: 27+10thp - 18 = 19
Balgura HP: 101 - 9 =
92

Callie
 NPC, 222 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 05:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Hang in there, everyone... we can do this!" She takes her oversized sword and takes a chunk out of one of the demon's legs!


Standard: Basic Melee v Evistro 4. Hit(28)!
 dmg: MAX! 14!


Evistro 4 HP: 86 - 14 = 72
Mittens
 GM, 669 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 05:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mittens blasts the demons with her frost staff then steps back.

"DEPLOYING THE BLACK ONE!!!"

The air around the pillars warps as the figures within the pillars
scream in rage!


Dido, two evistros, and the Balgura are all teleported to random locations!

"Glad to hear," Damikos says, doing his best to hold off the demons.

Nemia regroups with the others but hesitates when she sees 3 demons.

"Where did he go?!" the Balgura bellows.

It rushes toward the altar.  Bamf!  It gets forcably teleported.

"This is getting really old really fast."

It takes a swing at Callie.

Kitau also poofs and turns invis!  She hesitates, as close to unconscious as she is.  Bamf!  All but one of the evistros wind up trapped by the black mirror!

"Sweet!  This is working real well!  BLACK ONE, COMING THROUGH!" Mittens says, getting ready to move the black mirror.
Terdisas
 GM, 630 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 05:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas wants to do more to help his friends, but considering a sorcerer who wildly misses his shots is about as useful as a snorkel in a volcano, he's not really managing that right now.

  Those are probably swear words he's saying in primordial.
Callie
 NPC, 222 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 05:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido takes the hit from the demon as he runs away and slams the door. "Hope.. you guys... are OK..." he doesn't know the Balgura is with his team yet.

Callie blows Dido a kiss with a smile. "Good to have you back, Dido." and takes her sword in her hands and charges the Balgura, stabbing him right through the gut. "BEGONE!" she yells at him.


Dido full defense, move, take AoO. Crit! Armor of Bahamut. dmg: 10.

Callie move south to heal Dido with minor action. Heal for surge+11(2d6+3)
Standard: Charge Balgura. Miss(15) rolled a 3 Hit(29)!
 dmg: 12


Dido HP: 13 - 10 = 3

Dido HP: 3 + 24 = 27
Balgura HP: 84 - 12 =
72

This message was last updated by the player at 05:54, Sun 16 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 670 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 06:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"You'll pay for that!" the balgura bellows!

"No she won't!" Mittens asserts, frost missiling him.

BAMF!  The monster is gone.  Mits re-covers the black mirror.

"That's funny.  Made my magic missile look epic.  Mirror safety engaged."

Kitau reappears, covers the teleport mirror, and hobbles over into the hall.  THUMP!  The demon trapped in the room slams against the closed door, but Dido succeeds in keeping it out.
Dido
 NPC, 139 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 06:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido smiles, hearing his team still alive. He lets go of the door and steps back. "Good going, Mittens." referring to the mirror, of course.
Terdisas
 GM, 631 posts
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 23:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas shoots the remaining demon out of spite, before it also (we think?) Get's taken out by the mirror.  "I know you and Kitau are the best suited for it, but you should not have to constantly shove yourself face first into danger while I stand back perfectly fine, hardly doing anything to keep you safe."

  Terdisas is either willfully ignoring his opening shots landing a pair of demons clear outside of view or on their ass respectively, or he's not considering that much of a help because Dido still had to fight the other billion enemies all alone.  Because he failed in determining what triggers the danger in the room considering demons and pillar insanity long before touching the bell.

OOC: L Strike out of spite vs evistro, hits, Minimum Sorc DMG 14 DMG. (Yaaaay Sorc).

Evistro HP: 50-14=36 Bloodied.

Mittens
 GM, 671 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Thanks, Dido," Mits answers, "And thanks for the heal, Callie.  That was crazy..."

She shrugs to Terdisas.  "'The best laid plans oft go awry.'"

Kitau sits to rest, putting pressure on her many wounds.  When Callie heals her she blows a kiss back.

"We could some healing too," Damikos says.

Once healed, he'll say, "Woah!  Wow.  That sure takes a lot out of a person.  Guess you all are used to it.  Well I don't know about you all, but I'm spent.  Nemia and I will be taking our leave now.  No amount of treasure is worth all this, and frankly, we're not the kind to put our lives on the line for kidnapped people, no matter how unfortunate their circumstances might be.  Not like the two of us can hold a candle to how tough you all are.  So good luck with the rescue!"

"Um, thanks."
Callie
 NPC, 223 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie heals Kitau, rests, heals Dido then Kitau... then notices her allies look VERY exhausted at this point. "I'm calling for a rest. We have a dragon to fight and we are nearing our limit here... let's make camp at the cage."

She looks at Damikos and Nemia with a sad smile. "Thank you. You may think you are not the type to be heroic, but you already have been. I hope you will take this story with you to your grandchildren and fondly remember doing the right thing."

Dido glances at Damikos and Nemia. "Yeah... I hope we can visit you two in the future, if just to see how things are going with you. Remember... dealing with gnolls and demons is *never* a good thing. What you just experienced is probably the best case scenario for you. If we hadn't come, chances are they would have enslaved you or forced you to kill for them."


Kitau heals for surge +10, then surge +9
Dido heals for surge +6


Kitau HP: 11 + 21 + 20 = 45 FULL
Dido HP: 27 + 19 + 3 =
49 no surges left
Terdisas
 GM, 632 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Considering we know there is a Dragon much bigger than a baby white one in our future, I would say it would be crazy not to do as Callie suggests.  We won't be saving anyone if we rush into something like that."

  He turns to the Tieflings, "I wish I could blame you, but what is left of my common sense understands.  Points for planning on robbing the sort nobody will lament the loss for, but do try and stay away from cultists unless you are ready to fight your way out."
Mittens
 GM, 672 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Seriously," Damikos agrees, "Welp...  Take care.  Stay safe."

He and his friend leave.

Mits heavy sighs.  "We weren't stabbed in the back.  What a pleasant surprise!"

Kitau gives a skeptical look.

"So!  Let's take a closer look at this area before we leave.  Don't want to miss any exceedingly powerful and useful magic item like this mirror only for a stray gnoll to find and smash it."

"Well hello, little fellah...?" Damikos' distant voice can be heard saying, "OK then...  HEY GUYS!  SOME KINDA...  DRAKE?  HEADED YOUR WAY!  DOESN'T SEEM HOSTILE, THOUGH..."

The sound of claws scraping against stone is getting closer.  Kitau and Mittens ready for combat.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:45, Mon 17 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 140 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido takes point. One drake shouldn't be an issue, but at this point, he's actually nervous. So he sucks it up and puts on a stone expression, ready to die.

....what? He's out of surges and it's a DRAKE.

Callie goes to be behind him. She readies an attack for in case the drake attacks her allies.


Dido full defense
Callie Readied Sacred Flame

Terdisas
 GM, 633 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Nothing seems hostile in here until it starts trying to kill us out of nowhere."  Terdisas has stopped trusting what his arcane senses or what the GM tells him by now when it comes to this place.  The only thing to trust is 'it will go hostile out of nowhere even if you test it' or 'Does insane mirror work on it, Yes/No'.

  "The only reason I'm not standing between you and whatever it is, is because then you can't hit it."  The sorcerer is standing beside Dido though.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:54, Mon 17 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 673 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
A scarred, saddled reptilian creature appears, tongue lolling from what looks to be a happy, if sharp-tooth-filled, smile.  Kitau gasps and squeaks, recognizing her old friend!  She drops her weapons and rushes the clawfoot with open arms and tears of joy streaming down her cheeks.  If no one stops them, the two embrace.  Mittens takes her hand off the cloth covering the black mirror.

"Wow.  There's something you don't see every day."

http://static1.wikia.nocookie..../d/d8/Gatherhold.jpg
http://static4.wikia.nocookie....mages/e/e0/95034.jpg

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:01, Mon 17 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 141 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido thinks he's hallucinating. "...I died already. Of course. It makes sense now."

Callie hears Dido and then wonders the same thing. But she manages to keep her wits about her and holds on in case the drake goes to chomp Kitau. "Kitau..." Callie says in a shaking voice. "Respond if you still understand what I'm saying..." after all, the other explanation is KITAU is the one who has lost her mind.
Terdisas
 GM, 634 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I think the reason it does not want to kill us, is because it found a girl that means a whole lot more things to kill. Chirp"
Mittens
 GM, 674 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Pyrus churrs and flutters over to the duo and squeaks happily at them.  Kitau nuzzles the clawfoot and gets face-licked.

"I named him Rampage," Kitau says, hugging his neck and rubbing her cheek against it, "He saved my life.  Rampage, these are my friends.  No biting."

She reaches into her provisions to feed him the last of her rations which he devours voraciously.  Elsewhere, Damikos notices the lack of sounds of combat and his conscious allows him to continue on, figuring the friendly looking drake thing wasn't a bad thing after all.  Mits is left speechless.  Briefly.

"Nice to meet you...  Rampage."

She tosses a small snack at him which he sniffs at, glances at Kitau for approval, then snaps it up when she nods.
Callie
 NPC, 224 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Saved your life? But... wha? How? When? And how did you get separated?"

Dido flops onto his butt and leans on the stem of his hammer. He glances at Superbird. "You're brilliant... maybe we could get more of our enemies to turn if we enticed them with that."
Terdisas
 GM, 635 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Superbird, Chirp.  And that's the story of how I destroyed the Sith forever."  Just be a Jedi to watch your body count skyrocket, AND people throw sweet parades for you!

  "Considering our day, I appreciate the biting ground rules Kitau."
Kitau
 Player, 40 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Long story," Kitau answers.

She tests the saddle, re-adjusts it, and mounts up.  The ghost dwarf from before appears!

"Well done.  You've earned a reward.  Follow me."

"This just keeps getting better and better," Mittens comments, keeping the mirror at the ready as she follows, "But somehow I doubt dragons, demons, and gnolls will join us just because we kill more villains than they kill heroes and innocents.  I get the feeling they're a little more loyal to their evil than just the joy of kill count."

Pyrus lands on Rampage's face and plays with his lips, but the clawfoot doesn't snap no matter how annoying the little dragonling makes itself.
Callie
 NPC, 225 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Psst! Pyrus! Come play with my lips! They're more pliable and think cute dragons are very kissable."

Dido gets to his feet and follows the dwarf. "Thank Moradin..." he comments. No better boon from the god of dwarves than an otherwise aloof dwarf spirit showing admiration for him and his team.
Terdisas
 GM, 636 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird will not plot Pyrus's demise by looking up better feats for Mittens.  He's a better bird than that...  But oh sweet Sehanine is he tempted.

  "I suppose that story is something to look forward to after we deal with this crazy place once and for all."  After all, Rampage showing up has had Kitau speak more words in a row than the entire time in the dungeon put together.
Mittens
 GM, 675 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mittens translates for Pyrus who squees and flitters up to Callie to give her a kiss.  Kitau just giggles and smiles.  The ghost leads the group to a room full of chained skeletons.  He points at some double doors.  http://farm4.staticflickr.com/...791_e0463bc5e5_z.jpg

"That's the way to the inner sanctum.  The slaves are inside.  As is the leader of the gnolls.  Can't say how soon before the ritual is ready for the blood sacrifices.  Over here."

He points out a very well hidden secret tile.  Inside is all sorts of magic items, scrolls, ritual components, and whatnot.

"Woot!  Loot!" Mits cheers.

She spreads it out for everyone to take their pick of what they want.

"Staff of Magic Missile Mastery," she comments of one item, "Nice!"

She also finds a ritual that allows people to share vitality.


(OOC: Forgotten the name of the ritual.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:31, Mon 17 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 142 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie giggles from the kisses and holds and belly-rubs the baby dragon. Then follows people to the place...

Dido curiously looks at a throwing hammer about the same size as his, but it has a goblin's raging face on it. "Not sure what this is, but from what I can tell, it has been enchanted to hit harder on enemies bigger than me." (Goblin Totem <3 ) He then spots an amulet that looks exactly like Callie's and smiles. "I sure could use one of these... it's Callie's Amulet of Health. Makes poison less of an issue for me..." His eyes then go wide as he grabs a belt. "Nice!" and puts it on right away. "This one should help me go a little bit longer..." (Belt of Raging Endurance... Property: gain one healing surge.)

Callie giggles as she listens to Dido and Mittens. Then sifts through some. "oooo..." as she puts on a pair of bracers. "Aaahh..." she half-sighs in excitement as she puts on a new pair of boots. "Thank you, sir... these are all surely going to help. And just in time to rescue the prisoners."
Terdisas
 GM, 637 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas finds...  Nothing!  Absolutely, nothing!  In fact his awkard looking on a sorcerer gauntlets of blood crack apart and clatter to the ground in bits.  "...It's fine, I will make do with a developing biased hatred against Gnolls.  Considering I'm the only one without a scratch on me in several of these battles, my friends do deserve their finds more than any I could hope for."

  "Chirp, I told you not to trust a magic item that looks like rusty gauntlets.  Shoddy workmanship."
Kitau
 Player, 41 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau feels kinda sorry for Terdisas and offers him the horned helmet she found in the saddle bag...  Then thinks better of it.  Might be taken as a tease.

"Your friendship is all the reward I need," she says, looking first to Terdisas then to the others.

Suddenly she gasps in horrified shock!  Her eyes go wide and her pupils shrink to pinpoints!

For a moment, the fabric of reality unravels and both Dido and Kitau
gain a horrific glimpse of the Abyss.


Each character is the
target of a +8 attack against his or her Will defense. On a
hit, a character takes a –2 penalty to Will defense until the
character completes a short rest.


In the vision, Dido sees several demons lined up at what looks like a nearly complete portal.

"What's wrong?!" Mittens asks, readying her black mirror.

"Glimpse of the Abyss," the dwarf ghost surmises, "You get those in this place.  That and the demon who keeps popping up.  Along with the wailing ghost and the possessing ghost.  Like every ten friggin' minutes.  I'll be so glad to move on to the afterlife and be rid of this place once and for all.  I'll explain the traps that will activate when you place the artifacts once those two snap out of it."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:46, Mon 17 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 143 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Shoot!" Dido exclaims. "ShootShootShootShootShoot!" He grits his teeth. "Got a vision... there was a host of demons lined up at a nearly-completed portal... this sacrifice has more on the line than the lives of the slaves... We gotta hurry it up."

Callie frowns. "Then... we don't have much choice. It's either risk our lives and hope we win, or die anyway from an invading horde of demons?"
Terdisas
 GM, 638 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 23:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "And the thought of you headbutting someone to death with that thing warms my often cynical heart."  Wait, was that Horned helm or Tusk helm?... Eh, it's Kitau, she can pull it off with either of them.

  Then comes the evil voodoo visions for his friends.  "Right, does anybody know offhand how to burn down a stone temple for once we are done here?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:09, Mon 17 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 676 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 23:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau snaps out of it and puts on a grim expression, nodding to Dido.

"I've been thinking on that," Mittens says, "I'm thinking of asking Dwarf Face to bring his crew here to tear this place apart as his payment for getting his pig back alive."

"I'd like that," the paladin ghost says, "But barring that, you've two faithful with you who can cleanse this place given a day or two of focused prayer.

"Now about those traps.  I understand you already have a plan for dealing with the dragon.  Well it and the traps all come alive once you place all the artifacts simultaneously.  Me and my team might be able to help with that.  Just set 'em up so that the slightest breeze would knock 'em into the circle 'cause that's usually all us ghosts can muster.  Take some time to smash the altar to the east before hand.  That should disable the trap near that circle.  Soon as you place your artifact, exit to the northeast and wait.  After about a minute the traps start winding down and the door to the inner sanctum will open for a day or so.  I'll let you know when the coast is clear."

"So... youv'e been listening in?  Why didn't you warn us about the room with the pillars?"

"I've never been able to get close to that room.  Hadn't a clue what was in it."

"And the other rooms?"

"Didn't trust you completely.  Especially those Tieflings.  Wanted to see if you really did care about the prisoners enough to continue on rather than just take this loot and run."
Callie
 NPC, 226 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 23:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido is angry. "....wish I could say my credentials as a paladin were enough, but I've learned early on that doesn't mean squat."

Callie nods. "Smash Eastern Alter. Got it. I'm glad you are able to help. Let's get things set up."
Terdisas
 GM, 639 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 00:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Your credentials as a tiny badass should be enough. Tweet.  That goes for like, over half of the people here though."

  "If I cared only about money, I'd have expanded my parents antiques business instead."
Mittens
 GM, 677 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 00:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When Mits translates for Pyrus he grins at Superbird and strikes a pose.

The altar is smashed and cleansed readily enough.  Rampage seems to take a lot of pleasure in it and continues to smash the smashed bits till Kitau nudges him to stop.  Mittens meanwhile sets up the ritual for shared vitality.  Before long everything is set up.  The ghosts are ready to push artifacts into circles when told to do so.

"Who wants to give the signal to start us off?"
Mits asks the group, ready to push the artifact into the circle from around the corner using mage hand.
Dido
 NPC, 144 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 00:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido holds up a hand. "I will." And he gives a quick look around to make sure his allies are all ready. Then throws his hand downward as a signal. "Do it."
Terdisas
 GM, 640 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 00:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird switches over to burning skeleton bird for a moment "We're going to kick their flocking asses so bad!" aaand it's back to silver falcon.

  Terdisas just wordlessly grips his staff ready to shoot whatever needs shooting in the face.  Or closest face substitute.
Mittens
 GM, 678 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 00:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
All the doors in the area simultaneously bang open. From somewhere
beyond comes a roar that echoes throughout the complex.


"Who dares test themselves within the Proving Grounds?!" the dragon roars, "Face me!"

Mits hurries to be in the hall with the others.

"I heard that, coward!"

Moments later the dragon rounds the corner and BAMF!  Is teleported to the prison room by the black mirror.

"I have GOT to figure out how this thing was made," Mittens says, "Though it likely involves evil rituals.  Le sigh!"

The noisy sound of some large object rolling around can be heard coming from inside the Proving Grounds.  The ghosts show up.

"Nicely done with the dragon.  Now just give the traps a few minutes to wind down."
Callie
 NPC, 227 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 00:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido blink a moment. Callie covers her mouth and giggles. Dido laughs heartily. "SERVES YOU RIGHT, YOU SADISTIC BASTARD!" Dido yells.

Callie says, "So now we have a gnoll to hunt... but have to wait for the traps. I wonder if the gnoll is aware of what's going on or even cares."
Terdisas
 GM, 641 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 00:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)

  "Right, just so we are clear... This totally counts as Bossman helping you fight a dragon right?"

  "Don't Care, not even worth avoiding contractions over, he had better hope Kitau kills him first."
Mittens
 GM, 679 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 01:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"So assuming your defeating the demon gnoll cult is enough to free my spirit," the dwarf says, "Any messages you want me to take with me to the hereafter?"

BAMF!

The intangible spirit of a quasit, a minor demon, appears before the
PCs!
  http://www.baxaart.com/portfol...m3v4_Quasit_1000.jpg

"Greetings, heroes!  Yes!  I am an emissary eager to see both Yeenoghu and Baphomet suffer, yes!  I offer tasty information for you, yes!  I even waive the standard price, yes!  You listen?"

The ghost frowns.  "Never trust a demon."

Mittens shrugs and readies the mirror.  "What kind of info?"

"What you face in next encounter, yes!  The demon gnoll Maldrick has guards and special abilities, yes!"
Callie
 NPC, 228 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 01:14
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie squeaks at the appearance of the demon. But thanks to having experienced quite a bit, she quickly collects herself and looks down at the demon. "....OK. Go for it."

Dido says, "Don't worry... we won't trust him. But it's better to have info and not need it than to need it and not have it."
Terdisas
 GM, 642 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 01:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "...EVERYONE HAS THAT.  Like, literally everyone who doesn't fight all by themselves has guards and noteworthy abilities."

  "Wait, Does the Demon Gnoll have Hitpoints?  We'll never know unless he tells us, chirp."  Oh dear, just as Terdisas gets less polite the longer a dungeon goes, the more fourth wall breaking Superbird gets.
Mittens
 GM, 680 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 01:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The little demon cowers when hollered at and answers in a shrill, frightened voice.

"Maldrick can fly, yes!  Is a warlock who resist radiant energy, yes!  Has three evistro demons, a balgura, and a minotaur skeleton as guards, yes!  Maldrik has Aura of Abyssal Majesty, yes!  Demons regenerate when within 25 feet of him, yes!  Ritual near completion, yes!  Mere moments, yes!"

"That's a tad more specific," Mittens says, "Thanks, demon.  Anything else you have to say can be said on our way over to the inner sanctum."

"The traps are still going strong," the dwarf ghost reminds, "Though since you smashed the altar, the only two between you and the inner sanctum are the Doom Sphere and the grasping skeletons."

"The fog is harmless, yes!  Avoid the cauldrons, yes!  Taking the prisoners out of circle interrupts ritual, yes!"
Callie
 NPC, 229 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 01:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "You certainly know a lot about him, emissary... Don't suppose you know any blackmail or hot topics that make him lose his cool?"

Dido looks at the dwarf and says, "anything we can do about the grasping skeletons? Callie here's a cleric with the ability to turn undead..."
Terdisas
 GM, 643 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 01:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I suppose if I were to ask a serious question, What is the reason you have either chosen, or have been instructed to give us information regarding the Warlock."

Terdisas initiative: 12.7
Mittens
 GM, 681 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 02:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Could work," the ghost answers regarding turn undead.

The demon answers Callie, "Madrick sell his soul three times over, yes!  To the stars, to Yenogu, and to Baphomet, yes!  Too many masters, yes!"

To Terdisas, "I am an emissary from the court of Demogorgon, yes!  Demogorgon opposes an alliance of Yenogu and Baphoment, yes!  Best to block them here than let them get foothold in mortal world and gain more worshipers, yes!"

"Minotaur skeleton," Mits comments, "Well that's one thing the black mirror won't zap."

"Black mirror?  Ah yes!  Yes!  I remember, yes!  It won't work in inner sanctum at all, yes!"

"Figures," Mits says, "So I guess the plan is, 'rush 'em and get the people out of the circle?'"

The rumbling sound of the Doom Sphere ceases.  Kitau nudges her head, indicating for Dido to take the lead and begins riding toward the room with the smashed altar then to the dragon room.
Dido
 NPC, 145 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 02:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido leads the way. "Leading them out sounds like a good idea... but might not work. Maldrik is so close to completing the ritual, our best bet on luring them out is to get at least one of the prisoners so the ritual is halted."

Callie nods. "We couldn't risk the mirrors anyway. The prisoners could look at them. So if we do lure the enemy, we'll need to make sure nobody we care about looks at the mirrors. As usual."
Terdisas
 GM, 644 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 02:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Sounds like it.  If I'm lucky I might at least be able to knock down the minotaur for a moment.  But we'll find out soon enough."
Mittens
 GM, 682 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 02:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When the group rounds the spot where the skeletons lie, their barely moving bodies suddenly fall still.  Beyond, the open doors open only to a gray mist that blocks the view to the inner sanctum.

When the doors open, the adventurers see only a thick,
gray mist. The mist blocks line of sight into the inner sanctum
and also blocks all noise. However, it has no special
effect on creatures that walk through it. The mist was a
final test of Baphomet’s followers, to ensure they had the
faith needed to step forward and embrace their destiny.


"My time is up, yes!"  BAMF!  The little demon vanishes.

"Wish I could scout ahead for you," dwarf paladin ghost says, "But that's another place that I could never get near.  I guess Baphomet used scrying to learn all that to tell his emissary.  Or it was all a pack of lies."

"So...  Onward, then?" Mittens asks.  Pyrus is hopping up and down eagerly and flies ahead to the mist.

"The skeletons didn't attack.  Not that that means anything in this place."
Dido
 NPC, 146 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 02:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido walks ahead. "If there's one thing we learned... it's that we go together." he walks to the door, looking over his shoulder for the others to follow. Callie comes with.
Narrator
 player, 239 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 02:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
This chamber is dominated by a leering idol depicting a howling
minotaur warrior armed with a massive axe. Before this idol
is an iron cauldron filled with a bubbling liquid that gives off a
thick mist. A short staircase leads to a raised area that overlooks
the idol. Three more cauldrons are set on this upper area, along
with a stone altar. To the east of the altar, a series of green,
ghostly runes have been scribed into the floor.
Two humans stand within the glowing runes. They appear to
be in some kind of trance.
A gnoll with large bat wings and curved horns stands behind
the altar. He grasps a rod in one hand and a sheaf of parchment
in the other. A massive apelike demon stands beside him, while a
small pack of carnage demons snarls at you from atop the raised
platform. Looming over all of them is a massive skeleton of a
minotaur clutching a greataxe. With a shrill howl from the gnoll,
the monsters move to attack.

"Almost done!  Stop them!"

http://www.infinitas.com.au/Pr...es/9780786948727.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-F8Plp28PGLg/Te_uDNRM61I/AAAAAAAAAPc/0DVZiek49yM/s1600/Maldrick+Scarmaker.jpg

OOC: That's a lot of severed heads.  O.o
Maldrick
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 02:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Maldrick curses Dido and fires a bright beam of light at him!
Dido
 NPC, 147 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 02:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido throws his hammer at the minotaur skeleton, challenging it. The hammer misses, but vanishes and rematerializes in Dido's hand.

Dido runs in, blocking and deflecting everything everyone throws at him. "I'LL SHOW YOU, DEMONS!" He grabs the prisoners and drags them out of the circle! He starts dragging them. "Could use a heal!"


Move: Double-move. Minor: Grab prisoners. AP! Move: Slowed move drag prisoners
Minor: Divine Challenge on Bonecrusher
Standard: Basic Ranged v Bonecrusher. Miss(12)

This message was last edited by the player at 03:07, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 683 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 03:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits leans the mirror of doom against the wall next to her, steps forward with her frost staff and uses beguiling strands on the enemy!  But only hits two.  Kitau charges the skeleton, but her new lance just stabs harmlessly between its ribs.

"I've got a nice explosion coming that'll help the group escape," Mittens says, "Pyrus, you know what to do.  Grab the mirror if you can spare the hand, please, Terdisas."

Pyrus flies off Mit's shoulder.

"They have the sacrafices!" Maldrick screams frantically, "Get them back in the circle!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:29, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 230 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 03:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie charges in and holds her holy symbol high! Light shines out from her, making all the enemies nearest to her feel weak! "By Sehanine's love, I heal you all!" and everyone in the light gets healed. Then she blows a kiss to Dido whose wounds ALL close. "Gotchya covered, Dido!"


Standard: Beacon of Hope v Bonecrusher, E2, E3, Balgura. Hit(20)! Hit(16)! Hit(14)! Hit(23)!
 Targets are now weakened until the end of Callie's next turn.
 Effect: You and your allies gain 5 hp and your heal powers restore +5 HP until end of encounter.
Minor: Healing Word on Dido. MAX! 20 (2d6+8)


Callie HP: 44 + 5 = 49
Dido HP: 25 + 5 + 35 = 61 FULL
Kitau HP: Already at Full
Mittens HP: 42 + 5 =
47

Bonecrusher
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 03:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The minotaur skeleton roars in rage against the cleric and hacks her with its axe, knocking her down and back!
Terdisas
 GM, 645 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 03:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas keeps one hand ready at the Mirror, and lobs a sphere of Thunder (how does that even work oh right magic) that explodes in the face of the Balgura, giving it a severe case of doggy in car window face as the edge of the blast catches the nearby Evistro.

  <balgura>"Stupid Inner ear, why do I even have that I'm a demon!"</Balgura>

  "I know this goes without saying, but try not to die doing all the dangerous stuff while I practically sit back and watch."
Standard: Thunder Bomb Vs Evistro 1, hits.  Vs Balgura, hits.  23 Thunder DMG.

BALGURA: Resist Thunder 10.

Effects: Evistro 2 Slowed Until End OF My NExt Turn.  Balgura Immobilized Until End Of My Next Turn.

Evistro 2 HP: 90-23= 67/90
Balgura HP: 108-13= 95

Terdisas HP: 52/52
S 2 V 13, AP 0.

Narrator
 player, 240 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 04:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The Balgura and an evistro swing at Dido but the paladin shrugs off the attacks.  The other two evistros then claw Callie and Kitau!  Maldrick frantically tries to salvage his ritual and fails.  He then throws a tantrum, wiping the altar clear of everything in a rage!

"MONTHS OF WORK!" he screams, "RUINED!  I'LL MAKE YOU SUFFER!"

He points his mace at Dido!

The shimmer of pale, ghostly silver envelops Dido and lifts
him up into the air. Its sinister radiance seeps into his body, a
strange and deadly poison.

Kitau
 Player, 42 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 05:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I've got you, Dido!" Kitau says, sheathing her lance, "You just hold tight to those captives!"

As Kitau takes out her grappling hook, Mittens gets an inkling of what's about to happen and it helps her decide what to do next.  Frost strands push back all the enemies that were next to Dido and Kitau!

"Then I've got Callie!" Mittens says, rushing in, grabbing the halfling cleric, and running top speed out of the room!
Callie
 NPC, 231 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 05:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie grabs a hold of Terdisas and runs for it! "So long, losers!" she bids to the demons. "Close the doors if you can, Dido!"


Move: Stand from prone
Minor: Grab Ter
Move: GTFO

Dido
 NPC, 148 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 05:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido has a grin on his face, not that his allies can see it at the moment. He kicks the doors closed since his feet are free due to floating. "This is fun! Thanks, Maldrick!"


Move: Close doors
Terdisas
 GM, 646 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 05:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas wishes being held in the arms of a cute girl were in more pleasant circumstances, but it will have to do.  "Thank you Callie.  Good to see you all got out of there allright."

  "Chirp, Dido is his own Parade event.  He's got his own holiday but noooo the Ghosts don't think he's legit.

  The Sorcerer steps back, and gets ready for mirror time.  He expects it to roll a 1.
Narrator
 player, 241 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 06:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The giant skeleton slams against the door!

It doesn't budge.

"Where's that sorcerer!?" the balgura rages, smashing the door!

It doesn't budge.

An evistro rushes over and flying side-kick's the door!

It still doesn't budge.

Finally another evistro rushes it and finally bursts it open!  Dido is shoved back!  The last evistro charges blindly into the mist and hits Dido's armor!  Maldrick takes out his anger on Pyrus, disintegrating the familiar with a spell, then approaches the door.

"Don't let them escape!"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:23, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Kitau
 Player, 43 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 06:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido floats back to the ground.  Kitau drags him into the room, grabs one of the prisoners, and carries it off around the corner to deposit it in the hall.  Mits steps into the room, turns around, then begins chanting.  Dark, necrotic energy crackles at the end of her ruin staff before shooting into the mist, then...  nothing.  Can't see or hear what happened to the enemy.

"A shame I couldn't see the result, but totally worth it.  I think it's mirror time.  Everyone be sure not to look in Terdisas' direction."
Callie
 NPC, 232 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 06:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie grins. She points at Dido and moonbeams shoot from her fingertips! "Oh no! It's *gasp* Maldrick! I think we're in troooouble... *giggle* Sure thing, Mittens" (Meh. Forgot I can't hear the monsters because of the mist)


Minor: Moon Touched on Dido! Rolled Max!
 Initial heal: 3(Wis)+3(Wis)+5(daily)
 Rolled heal for next turn: 8!
Move: To wall
Standard: Readied Healing Word on Dido if he goes below 25 HP


Dido HP: 35 + 11 = 46 <-- Will heal 8 on start of Callie's next turn

This message was last edited by the player at 06:27, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 149 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 06:29
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Still holding the prisoner, Dido rushes off to Kitau and Callie and drops the prisoner next to Kitau. He then rushes back to Mittens. "Come ON, Mittens!"


Move: To Kitau
Free: Drop prisoner
Move: to protect Mittens.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:31, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 647 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 06:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas Releases the mirror!  The assorted Demons (and Warlock) don't even have time for petty insults before vanishing off to the increasingly crowded room of improsonment, leaving only the Minotaur Skeleton.

  The Sorcerer let's the cover fall back into place, and fires off his old favorite thunder slam.... It just passed through it's overly large ribcage.

  "...Honestly I should be happy, but come on."

  For the meager cost of some small irresitable psychic Damage, Terdisas rechannels his sorcerous power and knocks several teeth loose from the permanently grinning cow skull.
<small>Mirror time: HOLY CRAP everything but Skeleton.
Standard: Thunder slam!. flop.
Utility: Good Timing!
Reroll Thunder Slam.  Hits.  22 Thunder DMG. no push.

Bonecrusher HP: 64-22= 42/80

Terdisas HP: 52-4= 48/52

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:55, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 684 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 06:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau charges the skeleton, but once again her lance just passes through harmlessly.  Mittens tries to light it on fire, but her kaboom fizzles.

"Hate it when that happens," she says, "The spell fizzle.  Not the easy win against a pile of demons.  That was a very good thing."
Callie
 NPC, 233 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 07:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie moves forward and holds her holy symbol forward. Light shines and everyone in its path feels great! But the skeleton feels vulnerable... if it can feel.


Move: Next to Terdisas
Standard: Hymn of Resurgence v Bonecrusher. Hit(19)!
 Target takes a -2 to all defenses. Whenever an ally hits the target before the end of your next turn, the target is knocked prone.
 Effect: Each ally in blast can choose to either gain 5 temporary HP, or make a saving throw.
Everyone but Ter and Callie gain 5 thp.


Dido HP: 36 + 8 + 5thp = 44+5thp

Dido
 NPC, 150 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 07:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido slams his hammer into the bonecrusher's pelvis, causing it to wobble and lose balance as it falls to its butt. "So... all that's left is taking this thing down and we're done?" he says with a hopeful tone.


Standard: Valorous Smite v Bonecrusher. Hit(22)! (Because Callie debuff, heehee)
 dmg: 12 and knocked prone because haha Callie debuff
 Bonecrusher subject to divine sanction


Bonecrusher HP: 42 - 12 = 30
Narrator
 player, 242 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 07:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The skeleton stands then attacks Dido, but the weapon just deflects off Dido's shield.
Terdisas
 GM, 648 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 07:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I won't be surprised if there is yet something else we have to deal with once everything that can try to kill us personally has been dealt with.  Also, my lightning hungers for knees."

 Zappy, back down the Minotaur goes.  It's horns are stuck in the floor for the moment.
Standard: Pinning bolt, hits.  19 DMG.

Bonesmasher: down to 11 HP.  prone.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:12, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Kitau
 Player, 44 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 07:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau and Rampage move to flank the skeleton.  She misses with her first attack but hits it in the spine with the second, cutting it in half!

"Well that's a wrap for combat," Mittens surmises, "Unless Terdisas's predictions are true.  Still, we should take a look at Gnoll Face's stuff for valuables once we rest up and take care of the captives.  Also maybe try and close the near completed portal to the Abyss.  Ya know?  I'm beginning to detect a pattern here..."

She takes a seat and rests.  Kitau does the same and pets her resting clawfoot friend.
Callie
 NPC, 234 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 07:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "It's over? Is it really over?!"

Callie says, "Let's not get excited until this place has been cleared, portal closed, and every major problem taken care of." she looks back to the prisoners and goes to check on them. "You're safe now! You can wake up!"
Terdisas
 GM, 649 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 07:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "We are due probably at least two more out of nowhere dangers before we are all done with this place.  On that note, don't get too close to the creepy cauldrons when we go back in there."

Short rest, no surge spend.  WHOO milestone. action point.
Kitau
 Player, 45 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 03:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau heads over to Dido to nudge him, point at the rescued prisoners, then give a thumbs-up and a satisfied smile.

"Ain't over for me yet," the dwarf paladin ghost says, "Well done getting those folks back alive.  But yeah, sealing off the half-open door to the Abyss after a short rest sounds like a good idea.  Even now Maldrick is sacrificing the hyenas in the prison to power a ritual for requesting demonic reinforcements to get him out of there.  Doubtful his nasty masters will be able to lend him any aid at this point even if they wanted to, especially if its true that Demogorgon is actively opposing them, but better to be safe than sorry."

"This place spawns demons all on its own," Mits says, "Nevermind all the traps.  So I'm with Terdisas is expecting more annoyances."

The slaves slowly regain there senses.  "Who are you?  What's going on?  Are you an angel?"
Callie
 NPC, 235 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 06:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido just hugs Kitau, looking relieved at the reassurance. He then looks at the dwarf and nods.

Callie blushes and puts her hands on her cheeks as the prisoners call her an angel. "Thank you... but no. I'm just a cleric named Callie. These are my friends. We rescued you from Maldrik and are about to finish sealing the demon portal. Believe it or not, your absolute safest bet is to stay with us while we do that. This place is too dangerous to run off on your own."

Once rested, Callie and Dido go back into the room with the others to help however possible. Probably mostly by praying.
Terdisas
 GM, 650 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 07:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Even if it was somewhat late in coming, we do appreciate the help now." Most helpful ghost ever at this point.

  Superbird flaps, <Familiar>"Wrong thread for the Angels, chirp."</Familiar>

  To the ex prisoners, Terdisas says "What Callie says is true.  While we may have yet more fighting soon, there are so many traps and demons appearing out of thin air with no warning your are best off with them trying to kill us instead of you and oh Gods this job is completely ruining my common sense if I am saying that with a straight face."
Kitau
 Player, 46 posts
Sat 22 Feb 2014
at 04:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau blink-blinks in surprise at Dido's hug, blushes, and returns the hug.  Mits smiles and waves at the prisoners.

"In case you're wondering, all the other people who were still at the Duergar slaver fort when you were taken by the gnolls have been rescued already."

"Oh.  Thank you, Callie.  Thank you, Callie's friends."

The Message
Maldrick carries a series of letters from Paldemar. In
these letters, Paldemar promises Maldrick an alliance.
Using a variety of demonic items uncovered in the Well
of Demons, Paldemar has slowly gathered the power he
seeks. Paldemar wishes to topple the Mages of Saruun and
spread his influence to the valley beyond the mountain.
He has sacrificed the objects to Vecna. In return, he has
gained great knowledge and lordship over a hidden stronghold
dedicated to Vecna: the Tower of Mysteries.

The Silver Key
Once the adventurers defeat Maldrick, they can claim the
silver key. The first PC to touch the item gains a clear vision
of a secret tunnel north of the Seven-Pillared Hall. This
tunnel leads to a teleportation circle that allows access to
the Tower of Mysteries, a hidden sanctuary once used by
renegade minotaur wizards who pledged their souls to
Vecna. The key opens the door to this secret tunnel.

Callie
 NPC, 236 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 19:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie gives the prisoners hugs and reassuring pets. "My pleasure. I'm so happy to see you all alive." she glances at her allies, as if indicating she meant them especially.

When the group is done dispelling the portal and looting the room, Dido is sure to tell the group about the vision the silver key gave him.

Callie looks at the ghost and asks, "So did that help you? Or does the horny gnoll need to die for you to move on?"
Terdisas
 GM, 651 posts
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 20:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Oh, lovely.  Because a temple to some demon lord nobody really cares about did not end up being bad enough."

  "Chirp, We'll be fine.  It's a Tower Of Mysteries.  That's like, the opposite of a dungeon, or horrors.  Unless they are mysterious horrors, tweet."

  "At least we have an reason not to rush headfirst into such a place with no proper rest.  Unless we want to leave these victims here alone, or bring them with us somewhere with Vecna's name on it."
Mittens
 GM, 695 posts
Sat 8 Mar 2014
at 04:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The prisoners look nervous from Terdisas' comment, but smile from Callie's gentle comfort.

"Thanks...  You too."

"Back atcha, Callai!" Mits agrees.

Kitau is more than happy to help with the smashing of altars and cauldrons.

The ghost headshakes.  "I suspect what binds me here are the altars.  Once those are destroyed I and the others should be set free."

"No, I don't see this group putting innocent bystanders in undue risk in order to get revenge on the nimrod who sent assassins after us.  Especially after we just risked life, limb, and sanity to rescue said people.  And we've been pushed to limit of our collective endurance.  I wonder if the head Mage of Saruun will be willing to lend us some re-enforcements to deal with Face."

Kitau shakes her head solemnly.  "They expect us to die.  'The paladin and his team could some day become disruptive, but in the unlikely event that they survive both the gnolls and Paldimir, they could prove useful in other matters.  So do not hinder them."
Dido
 NPC, 151 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 02:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido nods and says, "On it." and heads for the nearest alter to begin smashing. "Everyone, let's get to smashing these alters as quick as possible. Who knows how quickly Maldrik will break from his prison."

Callie giggles. "Wouldn't it be funny if he DID break out, only for us to send him right back with our mirror?"
Terdisas
 GM, 652 posts
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 02:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  It's dragonfrost O'clock.  He comments ad Kitau's revelation  "I am not particularly surprised, except for their willingness to sit back and watch for the moment instead of giving us more problems right now."
Mittens
 GM, 714 posts
Wed 12 Mar 2014
at 01:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I know, right?" Mits agrees with Ter.

"Thanks for finding that out, Kitau."

Kitau nods and thumbs-ups.  The two help with the alter smashing.

"I'm curious what they are up to beyond employing a bully ogre as their enforcer that they would consider something a paladin likely to disrupt."

She giggles at Callie's comment and nods.  "If only there were some way to talk to him to rub his face in his defeat."

Pyrus squees, flies over to the dark mirror, and climbs under the cloth coverint it to teleport to the prison holding Maldrick.

"Oh the things one can get away with when being destroyed is merely an inconvenience," Mits comments.

As soon as the altar in the mirror room is destroyed, all the mirrors lose their magic and shatter.
Callie
 NPC, 237 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 12 Mar 2014
at 02:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Well since they seem so convinced I'm the one to worry about, maybe I should take off this armor, change my hair color, and dress up as a thief or something. Nah... that wouldn't fool the mages."

"But it could fool the common folk." Callie comments, "Dido could be in disguise, waiting back at the hotel or something under a different name, and then we go see the mages. The distraught heroes, sad that their paladin friend is dead, and wanting revenge or someone to take it out on could prove less an obstacle for the mages and more a useful tool to direct. Maybe even potential allies."

Dido says, "I don't like the idea of splitting the team. But if the plan looks like it could work without you guys getting ambushed..."

Callie says, "There's always a risk... but I agree; I don't like the idea of splitting the team. On the other hand, if they have an ogre as a lap dog, I don't like the idea of going to them and getting our butts handed to us."
Terdisas
 GM, 653 posts
Wed 12 Mar 2014
at 02:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "If the townsfolk are as apathetic as they seem, merely lacking the armor with divine symbols all over it would probably be enough for them to not tell the difference.  I am a bit hazy if we would be better off trying that, or sticking together in this case."
Mittens
 GM, 715 posts
Thu 13 Mar 2014
at 02:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Mittens recalls the last time assassins were sent to ambush us with a huge bronze minotaur and shudders to think of having to fight an encounter like that without her stalwart defender Dido.  That thing hurt!  My vote is that we stick together."

Kitau nods.
Dido
 NPC, 152 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 13 Mar 2014
at 16:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Then we stay together. But we'll have to be careful about when we face the Mages... if that ogre alone is as tough as the minotaur statue we fought and the mages are equal to or stronger than the ogre, we don't stand a chance yet."

Callie says, "....too bad we can't take the mirrors with us. That's an aweful lot of broken mirrors too... does that mean bad luck for us?"
Terdisas
 GM, 654 posts
Thu 13 Mar 2014
at 17:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Well if we want to nitpick the whole 'seven years bad luck' tradition, I have never heard people say it was specifically for the one doing the breaking."

  "Chirp, the vaguely ominous wizard council would have to get off their asses and come to town to help the Ogre."
Mittens
 GM, 718 posts
Sun 16 Mar 2014
at 01:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau perks an eyebrow at Dido's commentary and gets a satisfied smirk on her face.  Mits gives Terdisas a confused look.

“Should that even be necessary?  No one questions who gets the good luck of a good luck charm, yet, 'A four leaf clover is good luck,' is all that is needed to specify, 'for the bearer.'  Clearly the one who rigged them to break is the one who gets the bad luck for those broken mirrors.  Also, good point, Superbird.  For all we know 'Mages of Saruun' is a bluff and there's only one Mage.”
Callie
 NPC, 238 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 17 Mar 2014
at 19:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "A bluff that we're willing to gamble our lives is a bluff? Better to just follow the clues the visions gave us, so we can foil their plans behind their backs instead of going right up to them and politely asking."

Dido says, "Such a shame. Villains have a way of forcing us to be impolite."
Terdisas
 GM, 655 posts
Tue 18 Mar 2014
at 03:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird was less confusing than Terdisas, the sign of the endtimes is here!

  "I am theoretically skilled in diplomacy.  I just always find myself in situations where either those we are dealing with do not care, or I am beyond the point of tact."  19 Charisma, end up as well spoken and convincing as your characters with 8.

  See also, Rhagar.
Mittens
 GM, 719 posts
Thu 20 Mar 2014
at 02:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst," Mits says, "Every once in a while you might just persuade a zombie that you really are risking life and limb to close a rift to the Shadowfell."

"Whaaat?" one of the freed prisoners asks.

"You can read all about our adventures when I publish my book!" Mits advertises.

When the last altar is destroyed, the ghosts appear to thank the heroes before passing on.
Callie
 NPC, 239 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 20 Mar 2014
at 20:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Keegan was Skeleton, not a zombie... there is a difference. Thankfully, I'm sure that's in your notes."

Callie and Dido wave to the spirits and pray for safe passage of their souls.

Once that's dealt with, Callie says, "Well let's get you bunch back to town and find your families."
Terdisas
 GM, 656 posts
Sat 22 Mar 2014
at 04:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird wing waves to the fading dwarf spirit, "Chirp, Bye world's only reasonable ghost."

  "Yes, it seems for every Storybook hero Paladin like Dido here, there is one who flips out and goes on a murder spree."   "We've only met two paladins including dido, tweet. So technically the math is sound."
Dido
 NPC, 153 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 24 Mar 2014
at 16:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido interrupts post order to slide his foot, blushing. "I'm a storybook hero..?" he mutters quietly.
Mittens
 GM, 761 posts
Fri 4 Apr 2014
at 02:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"The smell for one," Mits agrees with Dido's distinction between undead types.

She smiles and shows off her book.  "Storybook."

She opens it and reads.  "Clad in polished plate armor emblazoned with the holy symbols of Moradin and the Platinum Dragon, the paladin before me fit into all the stereotypes of the typical legendary storybook hero save one - no white steed."

Mits closes the book.  "And that was just appearance.  Accomplishments could fill a book.  In fact - they do!"

Kitau smirks and nudges Dido's shoulder.

"But if we're counting Keegan, then we should include 'most reasonable ghost' in our list of paladins we've met."

The trip back to the Seven Pillared Hall proves uneventful.  Rendil Halfmoon welcomes the heroes back to his inn with an eager smile when they arrive.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:21, Fri 04 Apr 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 657 posts
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 20:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Tweet, does a wizard's book full of Dido stuff count as a Tome or Symbol?"  Good question.  What is the Enhancement value of a Halfling paladin pop-up book?
Callie
 NPC, 240 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 8 Apr 2014
at 02:19
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie has been loving on the dire boar throughout the trip back while Dido kept an eye on the gnoll prisoners. When they are finally back, Callie ties the pig outside the inn and pets it and is sure the pig is in front of the water trough.

Once inside the inn, she smiles at Rendil and says, "Good to see a friendly face. We have a bunch of prisoners and freed slaves. Hoping you could direct us to where we can keep the freed slaves until we find a way for them to get home. Would this inn work?"
Mittens
 GM, 783 posts
Sun 13 Apr 2014
at 01:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"I doubt my unfinished manuscript counts as either," Mits answered, "Maybe you can ask a cleric of Ioun."

The oinker appreciates Callie's kindness - as far as one can tell piggy feelings from body language.  Rendil smiles and nods to Callie.

"You bet!  It would e an honor to do a favor for you all.  Hurry back after you drop off the prisoners and I'll have a nice hot meal waiting for you!"

"Don't worry about food getting cold if we're not back right away.  My magic can reheat it, no problem."
Terdisas
 GM, 658 posts
Sun 13 Apr 2014
at 02:19
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Even still, there is much to be said for fresh food over reheated."  The sorcerer will of course, go along with his friends.
Callie
 NPC, 241 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 03:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Once the group is on their way to drop off prisoners, Callie sighs in relief with a smile. "It sure is nice to not be stuck in a demonic dungeon and have people who like us. Since Rendil is cooking anyway, maybe we can drop off Steeltusk while we are out."
Mittens
 GM, 786 posts
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 02:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau nods to Callie.

"True," Mittens agrees with Terdisas, mouth watering at the thought of a fresh cooked meal.  She munches on a few peanuts to hold over till dinner.  "Adventure sure makes one appreciate the simple pleasures of life.  Eating a peaceful meal among friends...  Breathing..."

Various gnoll giggles.

"Watching gnolls get executed..."

Kitau smiles.
Terdisas
 GM, 659 posts
Wed 16 Apr 2014
at 02:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
   "Executions do seem to draw the crowd, even in the most peaceful of communities."  Come on guys, maybe this time the headsman will nail that max roll on the high crit!
Callie
 NPC, 242 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 18 Apr 2014
at 06:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie grabs hold of Mittens' hand to kiss it and then grabs Ter's hand and rubs her cheeks on both hands. "Thankfully, we can always appreciate each other, in or out of combat."

Dido smiles.

Once the prisoners are dropped off (and Callie is POSITIVE the prisoners will STAY there until executed), she leads the group to drop of Steeltusk. She will be sure to brag to Ulthand Deepgem that Steeltusk was the sweetest thing and loyally stood by his companions, attacking the filthy gnolls!
Mittens
 GM, 788 posts
Sat 19 Apr 2014
at 04:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Everyone's happy!  Brugg is happy for the new tormentees, and Ulthand Deepgem is happy to have his faithful pet back!

"Here's your reward.  You earned it!"

Mits persuades him to have the Deepgem mining group to make sure the old temple is completely torn apart for good measure.  Back at the inn she noms on the nice meal prepared by Rendil.

"Yum!"

She takes it upon herself to retell the day's story with her accurate, yet very epic sounding flair.  She's soon ready to sleep the night in one of the rooms Rendil prepared for the heroes.
Terdisas
 GM, 660 posts
Sat 19 Apr 2014
at 04:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Considering how they spend so much of their time when not wandering down long roads, it is a nice change of pace to simply have a pleasant evening.

  Of course, paranoia never goes away completely.  So it is fortunate that Superbird does not need to sleep and can easily keep watch without a 'you are asleep, idiot' penalty... If not with the greatest Perc score in general.
Callie
 NPC, 243 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 19 Apr 2014
at 04:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie makes the comment, "I'll miss Steeltusk. But he's where he belongs."

To which Dido says, "And I'm sure he'll miss you too, Callie. But like any friends we make along the way, he'll never forget you and we can come back to visit another time."

Thankfully, by returning to Fallcrest and visiting Clarence, Dido's words have actually ALREADY proven true.

As always, Callie stays up while Dido goes to bed early. Dido's a morning person. Callie worships the goddess of the moon. Both sleep with weapons near.

Whoever stays up with Callie well get casual conversation about Sehanine, love, and the moon.
Mittens
 GM, 789 posts
Sat 19 Apr 2014
at 04:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
A pleasant breakfast follows and Rendil bids the group good luck when they head out.  Dido being the one who knows where to find the secret tunnel is given lead.  The silver key unlocks the tunnel when the group arrives.

The secret passage is 10 feet wide and stretches 50 feet
before ending in a chamber that is 40 feet on a side. In the
middle of the room is a 10-foot-wide teleportation circle.
Before the adventurers can enter the tower, they must
face an additional defense. Paldemar has created a challenge
to allow only those willing to pay Vecna’s price to
enter the Tower of Mysteries

After opening the secret door with the silver key and
following the hidden passage, the adventurers reach a
nondescript chamber that features a 10-foot-wide circle
inscribed in the center of the floor. The circle glows with a
faint pulse of arcane light.

A DC 18 Arcana check allows a character to determine
that this is a teleportation circle.
When a character moves adjacent to the circle, read:

The circle flares with blinding energy for a moment. When the
light fades away, a spectral, skeletal figure is standing within
the circle. The figure is clad in thick robes of deepest scarlet. It
is missing its left hand, and while an eye fills its right socket, the
left is empty.


The figure glares as it says the following:

“The secrets of the tower come at a price. You must each pay for
the right to enter this place. What can you offer to the dreaded
lord of secrets? I seek lore, power, and your souls.”

Narrator
 player, 262 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 19 Apr 2014
at 04:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The group charms, lies, and nerds the apparition's pants off!

“You may now enter this Tower of Mysteries. May its secrets
intrigue you.”

Everyone standing on it immediately teleports to the circle
on the first level of the Tower of Mysteries.

With a flash of light, the teleportation circle activates. Suddenly,
you are standing in a 20-foot-by-20-foot room with two exits,
one to the north and one to the west. The walls of this chamber
are covered with carvings that depict human faces. Each face
wears a blindfold or a gag. Immediately upon your arrival, the
blindfolded faces animate and begin to chant, while the eyes of
the gagged faces glare at you with rage.

Terdisas
 GM, 661 posts
Sat 19 Apr 2014
at 05:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  We won't go into just how one flatters an illusory Vecna.  But apparently it involves Super Skelebird.

  "Chirp, I am the coolest Lich.  So Cool I got a person as a Phylactermajig."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:55, Mon 21 Apr 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 154 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 02:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido, of course, were able to chime in with insights about Vecna's religion. Dido's knowledge of Vecna, sadly, wasn't enough to get the key info needed for this challenge, but Mittens' vast Jeopardy lore was enough to help him juuust enough. The two halflings seemed to know their stuff on even the evil gods. Go figure. (But hey, Christians know a lot about Satan while atheists think he's just some guy with horns and a pitchfork)

Once they teleport, Dido looks around at the glaring faces. "They don't seem to be happy about our being here."
Mittens
 GM, 790 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 02:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Terdisas gets blasted with a mind bolt from a pillar!  Kitau snarls and retaliates with her javelin but it just bounces off the pillar.  Then a bolt of lightning shoots at Terdisas!  He dodges it!

"Kill the intruders!" a voice says.

Several norkers appear from the west!  Mittens steps forward and laser slices the bunch of them!  They scream and stagger about!
Dido
 NPC, 155 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 02:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido charges and yells, "INTRUDERS MY BUTT! We passed Vecna's test to get in here! You attack what he deemed worthy to enter!" the fun thing is, he's not bluffing. Neither does his hammer bluff when he charges one of the attackers and whacks the guy unconscious!


Divine sanction on Norker 1
Charge. Hit(26)!
 dmg: 13


Norker 2 HP: 13 - 13 = KO!

Terdisas
 GM, 662 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 03:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I suppose if they screamed 'COMPETITION!', it would make more sense.  But then they would have to admit we are as good at their job as them."  That said, he steps back into better cover and fries one of the attack midgets, heavily eyebrow removing the one behind it.

  It's okay, they had a Unibrow.  They should be thanking Terdisas.
OOC: Fail save.
KO one.  reduce another to 5 HP.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:02, Mon 21 Apr 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 244 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 03:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie moves around the Norker to flank it with Dido and hacks at it with her bastard sword! The norker's side glows with a fist pointing down at its kidney for Kitau, whispering "smash..."


Righteous Brand v Norker 1. Hit(29)!
 dmg: 13
 Kitau gains a +3 power bonus to melee attacks v Norker 1


Norker 1 HP: 30 - 13 = 17

Kitau
 Player, 47 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 03:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau gladly takes the cue and takes out Callie's wounded enemy.  Mits is shot by a pillar at but she headbutts the bolt, destroying it.  Then Dido is hit by a similar attack from a different pillar!

"Looks like any two pillar can attack us at any time," Mits surmises, "We need to push past these little monsters and find cover from the pillars!"

She swings her staff and the two norkers that charged Dido are blown back, one of them collapsing unconscious!
Dido
 NPC, 156 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 03:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido charges the last remaining Norker. "Was that supposed to hurt?! I guess you guys are just being playful after all!" WHAM! Another hit and another divine challenge.


Divine Challenge. Charge. Hit(30)!
 dmg: 7


Norker 4 HP: 43 - 7 = 36

Terdisas
 GM, 663 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 03:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas zaps the only enemy still standing in sight with another bolt of lightning, dealing the usual Sorcerous harm.

  A small arc of lightning bounces off, slithers down the halls like a snake, and knocks on the door to the south.

  The confused Enigma opens the door and gets a shock right to it's evil toes, before it angrily shuts the door again.
Callie
 NPC, 245 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 03:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie heads over to slice the norker! Even as the norker tries to attack Callie for her passing him, he gets burned by the divine challenge! and then Callie slices him down. "We're coming for you! Surrender! Or we will make you regret this attack!" Callie yells.


Righteous Brand v Norker 4. Hit(29)!
 dmg: 12


Norker 4 HP: 15 - 7 - 12 = -4 KO

This message was last edited by the player at 03:48, Mon 21 Apr 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 791 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 03:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau urges her Clawfoot friend on and disappears around the corner.  Several norkers can be heard hollering battle cries, followed by several thumps, a sound like the psychic attack that the pillars have been using, and Kitau's squeak of pain.  Mits heads for the corner.

"She's surrounded!  Fireball!  Ok... not quite so surrounded anymore."

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:02, Mon 21 Apr 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 157 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 04:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido rushes towards Kitau and yells, "DANG IT, KITAU, DON'T RUN OFF WITHOUT US!" when he sees a baddy still standing, he charges towards Kitau and dives between her legs only to slam his hammer upward into the guy's crotch. The guy doesn't have a crotch anymore.


Charge. Hits(26)!
Acro to slip and slide into Mordor: 16!


Nother dead minion

Terdisas
 GM, 664 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 04:10
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas starts to follow, but stumbles as the aftereffects of that last psychic attack he shook off kick in.
Callie
 NPC, 246 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 04:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie comes around the corner, "Kitau! I've got you!", blows a kiss and Kitau feels most of the wounds vanish. Even so, Callie holds her bastard sword in both hands, ready for another attack!


Callie takes 3 dmg from being next to a pillar
Move: To see Kitau and not be next to a pillar
Minor: Healing word on Kitau
 dice: 12. +13(surge value) = 25 hp regained
Standard: Readied a charge against any enemy that appears within range

Callie HP: 52 - 3 = 49
Kitau HP: 15 + 25 = 40

Kitau
 Player, 48 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 04:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Another psychic bolt shoots at Terdisas but he wills his way through it.  Kitau exhales in relief when Callie heals her then smirks down at Dido and winks.  She then rushes the far door opens it, and fires into the room with her bow!  A pillar zaps her mount, and it shrieks in pain.  Mits then ruses down to stand above Dido.

"Fwoosh!"

She shoots a fireball over Kitau's head.  Mits then offers Dido a hand-up.
Dido
 NPC, 158 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 04:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido briefly blushed from the wink. He takes Mitts' hand, hops from the ground and seems to just WILL his way through being dazed to charge at the villains. "Are you DEAF?! Callie said SURRENDER!" WHAM! He hits the enigma for a good amount of damage!


Move: Stand from prone
ACTION POINT!
RUN CHARGE to enigma 1 using Ardent Strike! Hit(20)! (even with -5 from run)
 dmg: 11
 YAY ardent! Get to mark at the same time!


Enigma 1 HP: 57 - 11 = 46

Terdisas
 GM, 665 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 04:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  The sorcerer steps up, and seeing a difficult shot takes one anyways with his best option at the time.

  The first Enigma has already dealt with Terdisas's shenanigans, so ducks under the arcane orb, the thunder blast catching the second one in the face.

Enigma 2 Slowed, until end of my next turn.
Enigma 2 HP: 55-19= 36

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:42, Mon 21 Apr 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 247 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 04:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie yells as she charges the monsters, rushing past the first one! "SUUUURRENDEEEEER!" and as the one villain tries to stab her with a dagger, he finds himself gaining blurry vision and burning from divine radiance! And his efforts didn't stop Callie as she not only wasn't hit, but buries her sword in the other villain's side! "IF you surrender, you will be SPARED! So says the heroes of Fallcrest!"


Charge v Enigma 2! E1 AoO. Miss(21) due to mark. Callie charge hits(21)!
 Enigma 1 takes 7 dmg from divine sanction!
 Enigma 2 takes 9 dmg from the charge!


E1 HP: 57 - 7 = 50
E2 HP: 36 - 9 = 27

Mittens
 GM, 792 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 05:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The enigma Callie stabbed shrieks a horrifyingly hateful scream, tearing it's own face off!  Callie and Dido reel back from the horrifying visage.  The one Dido challenged blasts his mind with the memory ripper power.  Kitau manages to hit the screaming enigma with her bow.  The raging enigma then charges and rips some of the flesh off Callie's pretty face with it's bloody claws!  Suddenly, four norkers appear next to the runes Dido is near attacking him and one of them hitting Mits.  She retaliates with a fireball, taking out three of the norkers.

"Hang in there, Callie!  We've bounced back from much worse without a scratch when it was all over!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:19, Mon 21 Apr 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 666 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 05:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Terdisas steps up, but surprise surprise his latest attempt at lightning hits a pillar instead of an enemy.  He's been doing okay so far though, he was due a flop.
Dido
 NPC, 160 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 05:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido looked relatively scared, but shakes it off only to feel nauseous from the necrotic field and find one grunt still standing. He swings his hammer at the minion, but misses.


Dido takes 4 dmg for being next to a pillar
Standard misses. But dude is marked


Dido HP: 37 - 4 = 33

Callie
 NPC, 248 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 05:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie glows dimly like the moon as her cheek reforms and she throws her hand behind her at Dido. His wounds all but completely heal! Callie then throws her shoulder into the enigma and shoves him back into the room, making room for the others to re-enter. "I'll be fine!" she calls back to Mittens.


Minor: Moon Touched on self
 Callie Regains 3 HP.
Minor: Healing Word on Dido
 Healing roll: 11. +15(surge) = 26 (10 surges -1 = 9/10)
Standard: Bull rush v Enigma 2. Hit(19)!


Callie HP: 26 + 3 = 29
Dido HP: 33 + 26 = 59

Kitau
 Player, 49 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 05:46
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The enigma bent on Terdisas destruction once again uses a pillar to zap the sorcerer's mind!  Kitau screams bloody murder and rushes the raging enigma, slicing open it's gut as she passes.  Once behind it, she comes down on it's shoulders, splitting it into three pieces!  The last norker manages to hit Dido, not that it hurts him much.

"Kaboom," Mits says with a gesture, blasting the norker into a pillar who bounces off, bounces off a second pillar, then falls face down, "I've noticed that in spite of being a specialist in explosions, my magic tends not to be quite as gory compared to a raging gnome."

She heads over towards the door.
Terdisas
 GM, 667 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 05:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Well, as I have stated before on that subject Mittens.  Magic cheats, sharp objects not so much." Stun Setting option being just as available on swords aside.

  He steps up beside the hairy lady and takes a breather.

Second wind.  healed up to 36 HP, +2 Defense.   5 surges left.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:49, Mon 21 Apr 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 249 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 05:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido moves into the room, too dazed to do much else.

Callie scoots back towards the door and kisses her holy symbol before thrusting a hand forward. Kitau heals nearly to full and then Callie sings, causing Dido and Kitau to feel tougher!


Callie Moon Touched d8 roll: 1. Callie gains 1 thp
Move: To door
Minor: Bastion of Health on Kitau.
 Kitau heals for surge +5 (Cha+Wis). Surge - 1 = 5/7 surges
Standard: Hymn of Resurgence. Miss(14)
 Allies gain 5 thp or a save throw
 Kitau and Dido gain 5 thp.


Kitau HP: 34 + 18 = 52

Kitau
 Player, 50 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 06:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The last enigma fires a psychic bolt at Dido who gives it a stern look, making the bolt fizzle.  Mittens then pops into the room and force shoves the enigma off the back wall.  As the enemy stumbles forward, Kitau's clawfoot runs to it, catches it with its teeth, then tosses it into the air!  Kitau stands on the back of her mount and spins like a whirlwind, blending the engima as it falls like she's a gnomish blender!

"Wow.  It didn't even get a chance to rip its own face off," Mittens comments, readying a fireball for the next minions to pop up, but none come.
Terdisas
 GM, 668 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 06:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas peeks his head in, Superbird comments "Tweet, the real trick is how much better Kitau is getting at getting blood everywhere except on herself."
Callie
 NPC, 250 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 06:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie sees the blood-soaked Kitau and says, "...I doubt she will ever want to not bath in the blood of her enemies. Gather the survivors. We need information."
Kitau
 Player, 51 posts
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 23:01
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau seems indifferent to the blood and immediately begins to fuss over her Clawfoot friend, feeding him a treat and petting his nose.  Mits cleans everyone off with prestidigitation starting with Callie.

"Not that the rest of us don't wind up be-sprinkled in crimson.  nice swordplay there, Callie."

Kitau bows a thank-you to Mits for the cleaning.  She then heads over to Dido and bows.  "Sorry."
Terdisas
 GM, 669 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 01:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Somehow, I doubt we will be learning much of anything despite the love of learning and knowledge when it comes to Vecna."  Well, that and Nyah Nyah I know something you don't know.  Such a mature demigod lich.

Another surge.  36+13= 49/52   4/6 surges left.
Dido
 NPC, 161 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie wince-smiles up at Mittens. "Thanks." she says, her hand on her cheek because her cheek is not fully healed yet. She sits to rest up so she can fix that.

Dido glances at Kitau, squirming uncomfortably. He hugs her and says, "I just get frustrated when I'm unable to protect those I love. Thanks for understanding..."

Dido then looks up at Terdisas and says, "I'd like to know how many people are able to sate Vecna that we were immediately attacked as "intruders" when we hadn't stated a purpose or anything."

Callie says, "Well.. you do have a huge Bahamut symbol for a shield and a huge Moradin symbol for a weapon..."

Dido shrugs. "Which I could have stolen from believers in those two. Not like it's common for a paladin to be devoted to 2 gods, ya know."

Callie shrugs. "Of course, our experience is that bad guys generally don't have reasons besides "it was there, so I had to destroy it" or "because money and power". Guess we'll find out soon enough."

Soon, she lets go of her cheek and it is good as new.
Mittens
 GM, 793 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:10
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau returns the hug then nods to Dido.  Clawfoot seems a little bewildered by the exchange, sniffs Dido, then makes for a face-lick.  Mits studies the runes.

"These take us to the next level.  My guess on the whole Vecna appeasement bit is that that was a means for getting in set up by the original makers of this place and has nothing to do with the current occupants."
Terdisas
 GM, 670 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "The image of Vecna has no idea what goes on in it's own building.  Somehow, I am unsurprised."
Dido
 NPC, 162 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido face-scrunches from the licks.

Callie says, "It is just an image... but yeah. Mittens' guess is the most likely. We could have been worshippers of Vecna and these 'interlopers' would have attacked us anyway."

Dido drags the survivors to a spot nearby and ties them up. He then goes to wake them for interrogation. He tosses one of the face-rippers' body parts in front of them with a splat. "What are you doing here?" he says in a calm tone that barely disguises his anger.
Mittens
 GM, 794 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The prisoners refuse to answer.

"I'm nowhere near powerful enough to cast the spell, but there exists a wizard spell that could make him answer," Mits comments.

Kitau searches for clues in the other rooms and finds none.
Terdisas
 GM, 671 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Tweet, is it possible to feed them to the talky pillars?  Or would that be to time consuming." Hah, consuming... that's terrible.

  "Well, it's either leave a pile of a dozen or so prisoners back here.  Or send them off to learn the wonders of the Shadowfell for Vecna."
Dido
 NPC, 163 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "That would be a handy spell... but you don't have it. However, I have something for just such an occasion." he pulls out a feather and starts tickling the Norker. "I hope for your sake you're ticklish..."

Callie comments, "We know you can speak common. Your boss gave you a command in the common tongue and you obeyed it."
Narrator
 player, 263 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When the group gives up on questioning the prisoners and decide on what to do with them, Kitau and Mits follow Dido through the portal to the next level.

You appear beside a set of four pillars. Unlike the pillars on the
previous level, these are smooth and unadorned. A set of metal
double doors stands to the east, while a 10-foot-wide corridor
leads off to the south.

Terdisas
 GM, 672 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  The sorcerer quietly moves up to the corner by the nearest doorway, and readies himself to try and zap face if needed.

Pre roll, 27 vs reflex
Kitau
 Player, 52 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau heads for the south corner and readies her bow.  The now familiar resonating metallic sound of bronze warder footsteps can be heard coming from beyond where she's facing.  Kitau signals approach of enemy.
Dido
 NPC, 164 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido whispers, "We can't afford to fight anything on top of one of those bronze giants again." he glances at the doors to the east to see there isn't a way he can bar them and lets out a dwarfish curse and heads to the doors to flank them with Ter, then readies his hammer for throwing.


Move to doors
Standard: Readied throw of throwing hammer v statue once it's in range. will miss(16)

Callie
 NPC, 251 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 02:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie moves over to be next to Dido and prepares for combat.


Move to be near Dido and Mittens
Standard: Readied Hymn of Resurgence for when enemy gets in range. Will miss(12)

Terdisas
 GM, 673 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 03:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas blasts the construct's feet out from under it as it comes into view.  It doesn't hurt much (for a Sorcerer attack), but at least it keeps them away from his friends a little longer.

Pinning bolt hits.  18 dmg.  160-18= 142 left
Monster Intern
 Intern, 22 posts
 Monster Party!
 Monster Prices!
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 03:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The warder rounded the corner and fell to Terdisas' attack and winds up with a Kitau arrow sticking out of one of its joints.  It stands back up then suddenly charges Kitau!  Callie shields Kitau and the others with her power just before the warder's axe hits Kitau!  The door to the east opens and there's an enigma standing in the doorway!  It stabs Dido in the neck, but the dagger doesn't hurt as much as it should have.  Then a norker charges Terdisas but misses.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:21, Tue 22 Apr 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 165 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 03:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido moves north to the others. "This is getting real old, real fast." He twirls in a tornado fashion, glowing while he's at it! His hammer smacks the norker in the face and then catches the enigma in the side, but Dido's bracers unsheathe blades that also rip at the same side as Dido's arm passes! "This fight can stop as soon as you say you are willing to talk!" he seems to be glowing still, his eyes also glowing just a little brighter than the rest of him.


Minor: Call of Challenge. Marks all enemies in 3, which is currently all viewable enemies.
Move: Shift north 1.
Standard: Strength from Valor v Norker1 and Enigma1. Hit(20)! CRIT(30)!
 dmg to Norker1: 11
 dmg to Enigma1: 18 (11+7crit)
 Dido gains 10 thp (5 for each enemy he hit)


Norker 1 HP: 49 - 11 = 38
Enigma 1 HP: 68 - 18 = 50

This message was last edited by the player at 03:23, Tue 22 Apr 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 252 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 03:29
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie turns and glows herself; giving an old buff the team hasn't seen in a little while. "They would rather die than talk."


Standard: Divine Glow v Norker 1 and Enigma 1. Miss(11) reroll 3's... miss(10), miss(13)
 Terdisas and Dido get +2 to attacks

Mittens
 GM, 795 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 03:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits lights the warder and enigma on fire!  The enigma shrieks and facerips, making the two halflings stagger back!  Mits heads for the corner.

"I'm remembering that warder's whirlwind attack.  Don't want to be near that."
Terdisas
 GM, 674 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 03:40
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas knows those Warder's are nasty, but there are other enemies right next to him too full of problematic attacks.   So he hurls a crack of thunder between the Norker and Enigma, then finishes them off by jamming the end of his staff into the Norker's mouth, shocking it so hard the back of it's skull impales itself in the front of the Enigma's.

  "Tweet, that was AWESOME.  Shame it was probably an accident.

  "Well it's not like the staff has a label for when it is safe or deadly on it."

Norker 1 and Enigma 1 taken out.
Action point used.

Kitau
 Player, 53 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 03:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau moves to be defiantly in front of the Warder and ripps through it's metallic hide with a cascade of blows.  The bronze minotar then knocks her over as it rushes forward then swings in a wide arc, its axe bouncing off Dido's shield but slashing Kitau badly.  Then an enigma appears to the south, fires a weak lightning bolt at Terdisas, then disappears to the east.  A norker then exits the same door the enigma came from and charges Kitau!  When it hits, Kitau vanishes!
Dido
 NPC, 166 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 03:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido is very annoyed. He steps to the side to flank the Warder with Kitau and charges up a swing before letting the Warder have a taste of blunt trauma! CLANG! "Keep up the good work, team!" he yells in response to the heavy attack his team is pulling.


Standard: Valorous Smite v Warder. Hit(26)!
 dmg: 13
 Warder and Enigma 1 are marked.


Warder HP: 64 - 13 = 51

Callie
 NPC, 253 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 04:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie blows a kiss to Kitau then rushes around to help Dido flank the minotaur with Kitau and stabs the thing in another joint! Kitau feels her accuracy improve!


Minor: Healing Word on Kitau.
 Roll: 8. +13(surge)=21
Move: To flank Warder with Kitau
Standard: Righteous Brand v Warder. Hit(32)!
 dmg: 9
 Kitau gains a +3 to melee attacks v the Warder


Kitau HP: 23 + 21 = 44
Warder HP: 51 - 9 = 42

Terdisas
 GM, 675 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 04:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kerfails.  It this were another system, or simply run by another GM, Terdisas would have caused a TPK with a single target attack.
Kitau
 Player, 54 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 04:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Pyrus flies up to to the warder's face and sprays it with a rainbow breath weapon, but the attack doesn't seem to phase the metal monster.

"Actually, yes that was pretty awesome," Mittens agrees with Superbird.

Kitau hops to her feet, hacking the warder's foot off as she does, bringing it down.  She then follows up with a swift strike to its neck, beheading the beast.

"That too..."

The norker attacks and misses then backs up a step.  The enigma zaps Callie!

This message was last edited by the player at 04:58, Tue 22 Apr 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 167 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 04:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Nice moves, Kitau!" Dido rushes past the Norker. "I've got this guy's back! You and Clawfoot can flank with me to make sure I can't run away!"


Double-move to get to other side of norker.
Norker AoO. Hit(27)!
 dmg: 3


Dido HP: 56+4thp - 3 = 56+1thp

This message was last edited by the player at 04:56, Tue 22 Apr 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 254 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie winces from the zap and sluggishly moves south. Then throws a ball of white fire at the norker, igniting it! Dido gets a little aura, indicating a force field of sorts. Callie then briefly glows like a full moon and her wounds begin closing.


Sacred Flame v Norker2. Miss(11) Reroll 3's: Hit(21)!
 dmg: 11
 Dido gains 5 thp. Haha!


Callie HP: 35 + 3 = 38
Norker 2 HP: 49 - 11 = 38

Imp
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
An imp appears behind Dido, and swings a poisonous tail at him!  But only hits armor.

"Aww.  Friggin paladins and their hard to hit selves."

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:09, Tue 22 Apr 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 676 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:10
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas steps up, and is all set to blast the norker in the back of the head, when an Imp shows up and Stabs Dido in the back of the head.

  "Chirp, one tiny arcane being to another.  Dido isn't the one who probably shoved you in a desk drawer somewhere." Because of course it attacks the heavily armored Paladin instead of the ones who imprisoned it in the first place.

  So Terdisas shoots it in the face with Thunder Slam (which in no way involves lightning bolts you big silly), sending it back down the hallway and halfway dead.

Thunder Slam, Imp left with 16 HP and pushed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:11, Tue 22 Apr 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 796 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Pyrus flies past the norker, curls up to charge an attack, then explodes with a burst a force that kills the imp and sends the enigma flying back!

"Didn't even have a chance to answer Superbird," Mittens comments.

Kitau hurries over to flank with Dido and unceremoniously beheads the norker.  The enigma zaps Pyrus who disappears in a puff of sparkly arcane smoke then runs around the corner.
Callie
 NPC, 255 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie thought she heard something, peeks in the room and then runs toward the enigma yelling, "HE'S IN HERE!" and then leaps above the table, holding aloft the bastard sword before swinging it down and slicing the thing's left arm off!

The enigma only manages to rip off half its face as a result and is about to scream, but its eyes show horror as it seems more afraid of Callie right now, Callie's eyes showing stern malice.


Perception to hear Enigma in adjacent room: 24
Move: Into room.
Standard: CHARGE v Enigma 2. CRIT(32)!
(Athletics to jump over table corner: 28)
 dmg: 17
 crit dmg: 8
Enigma bloodied! Horrific Visage! ...crit fail. XD


Enigma 2 HP: 53 - 25 = 28

Dido
 NPC, 168 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Callie! Didn't I JUST say not to run off solo?!" as he runs into the room and gives a divine challenge to the enigma. "You'll face ME!"


Double-move to Enigma
Divine Challenge

Terdisas
 GM, 677 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:38
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Instead of taking the long way around, Terdisas turns back and goes through the conveniently open doors to the north.

  This works out nicely, as he packs a snowball in his hands.  "Do you know the common trick to these?"

  <McEvil>"Hah! A snowball won't hur-GAH! Mah Nosef!"</McEvil>

  Yes, Terdisas just threw a snowball with ice packed into it at Evil.
Mittens
 GM, 797 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"You're just going to have to accept that you're surrounded by badasses, Dido," Mittens says heading over to be next to Terdisas, "Just like I have to accept I sometimes have to use a weak magic missile instead of my more favored fireball."

Zap!  The enigma collapses.

"...and that sometimes 'weak' is enough to drop the enemy."

Kitau rushes past, now on the Clawfoot's back.

"It's ok, Kitau.  He's down."

Kitau shrugs at the anticlimax.  The group finds that none of the surviving enemies are willing to talk.  Pyrus apparently didn't let the imp live.  He reappears on Mits shoulder and rubs cheeks with her making her smile and blush.
Callie
 NPC, 256 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie looks over to Dido. "It was one lone enemy in a room we had surrounded. Figured you'd be there in no time. And I didn't want him to get away. Nevertheless, sorry for upsetting you. I was... overcome with rage for these losers."

When Callie finds they don't talk, she starts losing patience fast and threatens to deafen every one of them and leave them alive so they can never gather any more secrets, but live to regret it.

Dido reminds Callie that justice is more important than revenge.... but only AFTER waiting for the bad guys to still refuse to talk. Still, Dido looked tempted by Callie's offer.
Terdisas
 GM, 678 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 05:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I am starting to wonder how many of these people even have secrets worth knowing."  Well, technically one did but not like you will ever ICly know they were close to complete robot minotaur mastery.
Mittens
 GM, 798 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 06:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Creepy," Mits comments of the Infernal Machine, "I'll bet they were trying to unravel the mysteries of the bronze warders."

When she checks out the circle and library only to find out there's nothing to be learned from them she heavy sighs.

"I'm beginning to develop a personal grudge against Vecna.  Justice may be more important than revenge, but it will be nice if they coincide.  I'll consider taking out this cult my way of giving Vecna the finger.  Prolly just books full of stupid evil rituals anyway..."

Kitau reaches to noogie Callie with a smirk.
Dido
 NPC, 169 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 06:05
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie squeaks! ...she smiles up at Kitau from the noogie. Seems that's all it took to cheer her up. "Love you too, Kitau."

Dido can't help but smile at the sight. Then looks up at Mittens. "I'm sure Vecna is the sort who would be perfectly fine with us destroying whatever secrets are in here because "If I can't have it, no one can" mentality. So I'd say we just give all that we find here over to a church of Ioun. They will find a way to expose the secrets and share them with the world, while being sane enough to not share extremely evil rituals."
Terdisas
 GM, 679 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 06:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Chirp, just so long as it's not the sort of book with an evil face on it.  Those are never a good time."

  Terdisas can't argue with that.
Mittens
 GM, 799 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 02:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Good plan," Mits agrees.

When the group is ready to move on, she and Kitau follow Dido's lead.

You appear in a small room surrounded by four unadorned pillars.
To the north, west, and south stand doors emblazoned with
an eyeball.


Kitau puts a finger to her lips.  But after listening at the doors she just shrugs.
Callie
 NPC, 257 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 02:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie looks around at the pillars. She will likely develop Automatonophobia, if the whole team doesn't. She simply nods and motions with her hands for Kitau to try to peek through.

Dido stands ready, weapon in hand.
Mittens
 GM, 800 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 03:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits mage hands the door open.  Dido steps in.  Warns to stay away from statue.  Kitau shoots four times.  Mits Magic missiles.

"A lot can happen before the enemy even reacts," Mits says.
Dido
 NPC, 170 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 03:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido runs back to the others. "You know what?! CLOSE THE DOOR!"
Terdisas
 GM, 680 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 03:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas says "That was probably for the best Dido."  Them the Berserker opens the door with by headbutting it, so the sorcerer shoots them in the face, causing a spark to fry some enigma toes.


Readied hits, lightning strike small arc.
berserker, down to 114.  Small arc to Enigma, enigma down to 53.
Monster Intern
 Intern, 23 posts
 Monster Party!
 Monster Prices!
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The enigma blasts Kitau's mind who vanishes.  Paldimar, hearing the combat, enters the shrine and finds his minions all focused on the front door.  So he rounds the corner and catches sight of a Clawfoot and a halfling cleric.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:09, Thu 24 Apr 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 681 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:08
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Same Sorcerer verse, same as the first.  KERLIGHTNING.  "You'd think that would get old, but no, it doesn't, tweet."  The Berserker coughs up some sparks, which fly off and zap the Enigma.  That done, Terdisas follows the advice of his friends and runs away retreats through the teleporter.

Berserker down to 91. Enigma down to 49.
Callie
 NPC, 260 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie trusts Kitau to move with the others. "Retreat through the portal, everyone!" She throws a white fireball at the berzerker just as Paldemar turns a corner and Dido is freed from being dazed! Callie then retreats to a spot near the portal!


Standard: Sacred Flame v Berzerker. Hit(24)!
 dmg: 8
 Dido save throw: 11 success!
Move: To portal
Minor: Healing Word on Kitau.
 Roll: 11. +13 = 24
ACTION POINT!
Move: Teleport to lower level


Kitau HP: 18 + 24 = 42
Berzerker HP: 91 - 8 = 83

Mittens
 GM, 801 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
ClangClangClangClangClangClangClangClangClangClang!  A bronze warder appears from around the corner!

"Through the por..!yeahwhatCalliesaid," Mits agrees, "This spell should help cover our get-away!"

She fires a beachball sized black-fire skull into the room that screams when it hits the ground, exploding into a huge area of writhing black tendrils!  The enigma screams and tries to rip his face, but seems too dizzy to pull it off!  Mits then teleports down a level.
Terdisas
 GM, 682 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Once back down, Terdisas backs off and readies more Stock Footage Attack because no sense in preparing the sorcerous nukes if only a slinger pops up.

pre roll, 23 vs reflex.
Callie
 NPC, 261 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie hurries over towards Terdisas and says, "Good idea, Terdisas! Mitts! Come on over here! We can funnel them with these doors!"


Readied sacred flame
Mittens
 GM, 802 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:46
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Just bear in mind Paldimar is a wizard," Mits reminds, running through the door, "Meaning he probably has at least one area attack.  We need to be spread out.  25' or more should be good."
Dido
 NPC, 171 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido heads over to just behind a pillar. "Kitau and I will stay just outside and use these pillars as another funneling method. Come on over here, Kitau." he points to a spot behind the other pillar. "We'll hold the line." he glances at Mittens. "We can spread out more as we back into the room. I don't want that minotaur getting to you guys."


Readied Ardent Strike
Bu-BLAH
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
A berzerker appears and finds a white ball of fire hit him in the face! Kitau feels tougher.


Readied actions triggered!
Callie Sacred Flame. Hit(15)!
 dmg: 11
 Kitau gains 5 thp.
Terdisas Lightning. Hit()?
 dmg: 23


Berserker HP: 42 - 11 - 23 = 8

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:57, Thu 24 Apr 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 683 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 04:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas's readied attack kerzorches the berserker once more, as a small arc crawls off it's back and inchworms it's way onto the teleporter room.

  Meanwhile, upstairs, the Enigma get's another small shock to the foot.

Berserker down to 8.  Enigma down to 21.
Dido
 NPC, 172 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 05:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When the Enigma appears, Dido sinks his hammer into the guy's sternum.


Ardent v Enigma. Hits(25)!
 dmg: 8


Enigma HP: 21 - 8
Narrator
 player, 264 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 05:29
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The berserker enters the room and gets obliterated.  Then the two slingers enter, one of the burned by Mittens' fireball.  The enigma appears and swipes at Dido, but the paladin whacks him first!  The warder teleports in and squeezes between the pillars to get to Dido.  Then Paldimar shows up, hands crackling with electricity.

"DIE!"

He zaps Terdisas and the lightning arcs to Kitau and Dido!  Paldimaar then points to Mittens and says, "Your magic is MINE!"  Sparkles bedazzle the shifter wizard and the villain's hands crackle with electricity again!
Callie
 NPC, 262 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 05:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie moves inside and says, "Back up so Dido and Kitau can back to the doors." she then blasts her allies with holy light, imbuing them with toughness... and Mittens feels robbed. She was SO close to ending the effect the wizard put on her.


Hymn of Resurgence!
 All but Callie and Mittens gain 5 thp.
Mittens
 GM, 803 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 05:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Not ALL of it!" Mittens retorts, firing a fireball into the group, downing a slinger!  Paldimar again attacks her mind, turning invisible to her!  She backs up, slinging a magic missile at Paldimar!

"Magic Missile, Moron!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:59, Thu 24 Apr 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 684 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 05:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas fires off a trio of buzzsaw blades made of ice that seek out and dig into the Warder, enigma, and Paldemar.  The enigma is sliced in half from top to bottom while the other two just deal with it as an annoyance.

  The sorcerer follows up with a curving stream of lightning that angles around the pillars, but alas the Purple Name floating over Paldemar's head means it is mostly a whiff.  Stupid purple cons, who jacked the mission up to +5?

Enigma dead.  Warder down to 132 HP.  Paldemar down to 96 HP.
Ongoing 5 Cold damage to Warder and Paldemar.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:45, Thu 24 Apr 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 173 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 05:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Kitau, take point on the Minotaur!" he then goes to Paldemar and says, "Oh wow! You speak? Must not be a worshiper of Vecna!" and with that, he slams his hammer into both Paldemar and the slinger, then divine radiance shoots from him, letting all the enemies present know divine judgement awaits them if they attack anyone but Dido.


Move: To Paldemar
Standard: Strength from Valor v Paldemar and Slinger 2. Hit(27)! Hit(29)!
 dmg to Paldemar: 11
 dmg to Slinger 2: 9
Minor: Call of Challenge. ALL enemies in 3 of Dido are divinely sanctioned by Dido.


Paldemar HP: 96 - 11 = 85
Slinger 2 HP: 37 - 9 = 28

Kitau
 Player, 55 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 06:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"KILL THE BEARDED MAGE!" Paldimar orders his men when frozen and zapped!

"KILL THE PALADIN!" he adds when Dido whacks him!

Kitau nods to Dido and fires an arrow into Paldimar's leg!  She rushes over to help him flank the wizard.  Both the slinger and Paldimar attack her, taking divine damage as they do so, but the wizard connects, hitting Kitau upside her skull.  She hisses from the pain but stands on the Clawfoot's back to ready her combo.  Clawfoot grabs the arrow and uses it to toss Paldimar tumbling end-over-end into the air!  As he comes down, Kitau spins and attacks him like a tornado of blades!  But the Warder reaches over, blocking some of her attacks with its arm!  Paldimar lands nose first into the stone floor with a resounding CRACK from his breaking teeth and nose bone!  The warder takes its orders and begins to execute them in the order received.  Ignoring Kitau's slashing it as it moves, it heads over to Terdisas and slashes the sorcerer with its axe, punished by divine radiance for ignoring Dido's challenge!

Paldimar stands back up and tries to run, but Clawfoot grabs hold of the arrow, flipping him back onto his face while Kitau gashes his back!
Callie
 NPC, 263 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 06:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido yells, "Keep Paldemar alive!"

Callie blows a kiss to Terdisas, completely healing him. Then says, "Mitts, finish him!" and she throws a white fireball at the Warder, injuring it while curing Mittens of her current magical ailment.


Minor: Healing Word on Terdisas
 rolled: 14. +13 = 27 (5/6 surges -1 = 4/6)
Move: shift out to have clear line on Warder
Standard: Sacred Flame v Warder. Hit(27)!
 dmg: 11(resist 5 makes it 6)
 Mittens save throw: 19 success


Terdisas HP: 26 + 27 = 52 FULL
Warder HP: 95 - 6 = 89

Mittens
 GM, 804 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 06:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Oh now you're MINE, Paldimar!" Mittens says, stepping closer, "Lemme show you some REAL wizard magic!  No...  I think I'll knock you out with a spell I started adventuring with.  FWOOSH!"

Burning hands takes the wizard out!  Mits follows up with a magic missile to the Warder's face, but it doesn't damage the monster much.

"Thanks sooo much, Callie.  I really needed that."

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:58, Thu 24 Apr 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 174 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 06:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido rushes past the Warder, "Flank with me, Kitau!"

The warder swings its axe down, but Dido does a forward tumble only to swing at the Warder... which only makes a loud clang to no effect!


Move: To position for flanking with Kitau.
Warder AoO v Dido. Miss(19)
Standard: Readied Valorous Smite v Warder for when Kitau flanks. Miss(15)

Narrator
 player, 265 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 07:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The slinger hurries over to Paldimar and tries to administer first aid, but fails to revive the wizard.  The warder punts Dido back, smacks Callie and Mittens down, then WHOOSH!  Swings it's axe wide, hitting both Mittens and Dido!
Mittens
 GM, 805 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 07:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits hops to her feet and uses the force to shove the Warder back, slamming it into a pillar!  Wham!

"Darnit!  I told myself I wouldn't let those things do that to me again!" she grumbles, coughing up blood and backing away, "Also, zap."

Magic Missile!

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:21, Thu 24 Apr 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 685 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 07:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas helps dido up with one hand, and lassos the Warder's legs with a stream of lightning with the other, yanking it off it's feet.

  "Least I can do after you all got hit with me sitting at safe distance."

  Pinning to warder.  down to 20 hp.  knocks prone.
Callie
 NPC, 264 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 07:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie hops back to her feet also and yells, "NO YOU DON'T!" bastard sword in hands as she runs right over the minotaur to the slinger! She runs him through the gut with her sword, nearly killing him! "Surrender and maybe you'll live!"


Move: Stand
Standard: Charge v Slinger! Hit(17)!
 dmg: 17
 (Warder AoO v Callie. Miss)


Slinger 2 HP: 21 - 17 = 4

Dido
 NPC, 175 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 07:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Thanks, Terdisas." and heads over to the fallen bull to clang it with his hammer again. Again to no avail.


Ardent Strike. Miss(15)
Kitau
 Player, 56 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 07:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau sees the slinger trying to revive Paldimar and goes berserk!  Her Clawfoot hurries and takes her to flank with Callie.  With a frenzied scream, Kitau then hacks through the guy's heart...  via his skull!
Terdisas
 GM, 686 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 07:40
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Amazingly enough, Terdisas manages to barely deflect the giant axe swing with his staff!

  Of course, this leaves his noodle arms too wobbly to even aim his staff so he ends up blasting the poor innocent ceiling.  He does manage to help Dido back up to his feet at least.
Callie
 NPC, 265 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 07:45
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie heads over to the Warder and slashes it with her sword! Even as she does, she glows briefly and Dido's wounds close! But she doesn't stop slashing it. Slice after slice, she cuts its limbs off until it's just a torso and head.


Strengthen the Faithful v Warden. Hits(30)!
 dmg: 10 auto-fatality granted by GM
 Dido can spend a surge and gains +5 hp in addition

Mittens
 GM, 866 posts
Sun 4 May 2014
at 03:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Wow," Mits says, "They just fall to pieces when defeated, don't they?"

As an experiment to test her theory, Mits tries to break a finger off with a firm tap of the end of her staff, but the finger doesn't separate from the hand.

"...or Callie's berserker strength is a force to be reconed with."

She glances at Terdisas.

"I wouldn't have thought to strong-arm-block an animated metal Minotaur with a staff.  I guess rumors of sorcerers having draconic strength in the blood aren't exaggerated.  I'm wondering if I'm the only one in the group who can't bench a boulder."

Pyrus then shows that he can't even lift a finger of a minion.

"Right.  Shutting up now."
Terdisas
 GM, 687 posts
Sun 4 May 2014
at 03:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Less Dragon, more chaotic elemental.  I would shrug, but I still can not feel my arms."  "Chirp, you could bench at least twenty pounds more than bossman."

  After all, Strength isn't Mittens's dump stat.
Callie
 NPC, 266 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 6 May 2014
at 00:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"While I appreciate the compliment, I can't bench a boulder." Callie says with a giggle. "Alright. Gather around, everyone, and I'll take your wounds away."

Dido goes to Callie to get some healing goodness. And to say, "Good going, everyone. Paldimar is going to face justice."

Callie is sure to give everyone a once-over, using her power to heal Kitau and Dido first (so if more ambushes come, they'll be up to holding them at bay AND so those two can get to tying up bad guys). As usual with Callie, she is all hugs, kisses, and gentle caresses with everyone.
Mittens
 GM, 879 posts
Mon 12 May 2014
at 02:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits and Kitau also gather for the heals, the former blushes, the latter smirks and shoulder-nudges from the adorable halfling affection.  Pyrus and Clawfoot both wind up happily licking her face.

Mits eyebrow-perks at Terdisas' correction.  "You can trace your lineage back to the source of your power?  That's pretty rare.  How far back was it?  What were the circumstances that wound up with chaotic elemental in the bloodline.
Terdisas
 GM, 688 posts
Mon 12 May 2014
at 02:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas wonders if they will face justice, or be let off with a demotion in exchange for Vecna goodies.  "Not so much tracing my Lineage, as knowing certain differences in Sorcerous manifestation.  Though I do admit to using a few spells more preferred by others.  From what I hear, though I have not met any, the average Draconic oriented Sorcerer could snap me in half with their bare hands"  It IS called Dragonfrost, after all.

  "Chirp, while not as insulting, that was a bit like saying OH MITTENS, you got your PILE OF SKULLS from VECNA right?"
Dido
 NPC, 176 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 12 May 2014
at 03:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie enjoys the face-licking, shoulder-nudging, and blushing. She glances at Superbird. "Would be a fair assessment, considering most people don't collect skulls. I wish I could trace my lineage... it's a bit of an embarrassment for my kind when a halfling doesn't know who they come from."

Dido says, "Then maybe if people are done trying to ruin the entire world, we can look into that for ya. Would be something we could do that isn't as perilous as our latest activities."
Mittens
 GM, 898 posts
Tue 20 May 2014
at 03:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mittens conjures a small pile of tiny Vecna skulls in the palm of her upturned hand, pops them in her mouth, chews, and considers the flavor.

"Hmm.  Nah.  Vecna skulls are poor quality.  I much prefer my own original skulls.  They fizzle!

"In all seriousness, though, I apologize if I hurt your feelings.  No offense was meant."


Paldimar eventually wakes up.  He looks around at the heroes and doesn't say anything.
Terdisas
 GM, 690 posts
Tue 20 May 2014
at 05:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas shrugs,  "Do not worry Mittens, I am merely nitpicking."  Superbird asks "Tweet, are there strawberry popskulls, and do they really kill you if you eat them with Ale?"  "You are thinking of mixing sweetheart confections with ale explosing."

  Both completely ignore the named wizard of so much plot hook mention.
Callie
 NPC, 267 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 20 May 2014
at 05:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido puts a foot on a fallen foe, leans his elbow on his knee, faces Paldimar and says, "...You know, my friends and I were only interested in freeing slaves. If you hadn't sent people to attack us, you might have never even entered our notice. But I will at least commend you for sending what you did send. That was actually a tough fight and you even had the guys you sent be sneaky and try to ambush us."

Callie turns to Paldimar. "Speaking of..." she slaps him. And with her strength, that more than stings. "That's for putting those tieflings in a position where they felt their only option was to kill or be killed. Now... do you have anything to say that might save your sorry hide before we turn you in to the mages of Saruun?"
Mittens
 GM, 907 posts
Wed 21 May 2014
at 04:17
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits giggles at Superbird and Terdisas' playing along.  Kitau looks annoyed at Callie's hint that Paldimar can talk himself out of execution.  Maybe she doesn't believe Callie would lie about that?  Pyrus nibbles on Mit's fingers.  Paldimar looks unsurprised by the slap but then confused at Callie's question.  He looks again at the holy symbols.

"I doubt what I have to say will change what you wind up doing...   You work for the Mages of Saruun?  I don't understand.  Surely you've noticed they're evil.  Then on one hand you're angry on behalf of devils while on the other you're rescuing kidnapped people..."

He nods to Dido.  "You all are fare more powerful than I was prepared to handle.  At the time, those who Tiefling assassins were all I could afford.  I gambled and lost.  I wonder if..."
Terdisas
 GM, 691 posts
Wed 21 May 2014
at 05:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas does stop to pay attention to the Wizard face now.  "Tieflings are no more devils than Mittens is a disease carrying Lycanthrope.  I would have expected someone of your position to know such obvious things."  Tieflings don't even have any fancy keywords.
Callie
 NPC, 268 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 24 May 2014
at 06:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "We did notice they are evil. However, we are not above setting evil against itself, especially when we realize the mages are a bit more than we could handle at the moment. So then... what is it you wonder?"

Dido is silent. He wonders the same thing.
Mittens
 GM, 952 posts
Thu 5 Jun 2014
at 01:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Paldimar ahs when Terdisas corrects him.  "You are quite right to say I know the difference.  I was speaking from the perspective of stereotypical adventurers who assume all gnolls are demons, all tieflings are devils, and so on.  I can see now that you all don't fit the mold."

To Callie he answers, "With my aid you could defeat the Mages decisively.  Considering I was intending to do so myself once I unlocked the secrets of the Bronze Warders, I would not be against aiding you.  You see, there's more to my story than you might think.  When I heard about a group of adventurers handing over prisoners to that sadistic Ogre for his amusement, I assumed them to be the kind only interested in gold or magic items.  But now that I know you're interested in justice, you should know that the reason I split with the Mages was to stop them from oppressing those they consider 'weak.'  What I wondered is if you would allow me to help you end their menace.  I can tell you the whole story if you like."

"I for one am intrigued," Mits says, "For starters you're the first villain we've questioned who didn't swear gruesome vengeance or wallow in villainy one way or another.  So how does a so-called 'freedom fighter' such as yourself wind up with crazy face-ripping Vecna fanatics as minions, hmm?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:18, Mon 09 June 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 692 posts
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 21:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "There is quite a difference in ending up stuck working with gnolls, and becoming basically in charge of the local Venca worshipers, yes."   'The interest in loot has been due to it's practicality in smashing assholes more easily, it is a vicious cycle, chirp.'

  "If nothing we have come across of late believes our good intentions even when it is to their detriment, please give me a better reason to believe you."  Yes Ghosts, we are talking about you.
Callie
 NPC, 269 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 9 Jun 2014
at 21:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido are looking at Paldemar with skepticism. Callie considers using lies on this guy, but will wait first and see what he has to say. Callie and Dido's attention is just too fixed to bother doing anything but stare attentively.
Mittens
 GM, 960 posts
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 06:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau is getting increasingly agitated and is wary of an ambush at any second.  Pyrus is getting bored and begins exploring.

"When I was a boy my family and neighborhood bullied me endlessly for being 'wimpy.'  Intelligence was seen as a liability, strength the only virtue.  But I heard a saying, 'Mind over matter,' that kept me going.  After teaching myself magic I wasn't bullied anymore because I could defend myself.  So I swore to make it my goal to make the world a better place for the other 'wimps' out there.  Long story short I joined the Mages of Saruun thinking they had similar ideals.

"Boy was I wrong!  They were no better than the bullies I had grown up with!  They even employed a thug of an ogre for an enforcer when they couldn't be bothered to bully the people here themselves!  Well I figured two could play at that game.  I began looking into how to make the bronze warders do my bidding or make new ones.  My thugs verses them and theirs.

"My research led me here.  When I was stopped by the denizens, those face-rippers you call them, I had to think fast or be ripped apart myself..  I told them that I would get them some magic items from the gnolls in exchange for the use of this lab.  The ruse worked, and they assumed me to be one of their own.  At that point I was playing the same deadly game you say you were.  Namely, pitting evil against evil.  Using the gnolls and Vecna cultists as stepping stones toward stopping the Mages of Saruun."

"And by helping the gnolls you helped kill innocent people," Mittens accuses, "We found their remains on the gnoll altar."

Paldimar turns his face away in shame.
Terdisas
 GM, 693 posts
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 03:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Oh, Paldimar is mad because he's a NEEEEEEERD who can now electrocute people with his mind...  Not that this description fit Terdisas, no, that would be crazy.

  "Yes, if we are so suspicious then actual blood sacrifice is downright confirmation of nefariousness by comparison.  So called greater good or not."

  "Tweet, your plan is <Paldimar voice>'With my army of killer robot minotaurs, I WILL BE UNSTOPABLE, MWAHAHAHAHAHA'</paldimar voice>.  I am possibly an arcane manifestation of a hangover and even I gotta wonder about your plans, chirp"
Callie
 NPC, 270 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 21 Jun 2014
at 17:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Nonono.... listen to what you're saying superbird... an ARMY... of killer robot minotaurs. I think he was on to something. Just one of them is really hard to take down. If we had to fight 3 of them at a time, that might have been more than our match. I guess the only real drawback would be resources..."

Callie looks at Paldimar, "Mittens here is really smart. So tell her what is involved; how you make those minotaur robots, and maybe we can take down the mages of Saruun. Just because we took you down doesn't mean it's too late to do right by everyone." And if blood sacrifices are involved, Callie is CONSIDERING putting the gnoll captives on the altars...

Dido is silent, leaning on his shield and glancing about, keeping an eye out like Kitau is likely doing.
Mittens
 GM, 989 posts
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 00:46
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits giggles at Terdisas and Superbird's replies and raises an eyebrow and smiles at Callie's compliment.

"Thanks for the flattery!"

Paldimar exhales slowly.  "I had already figured out how to make more Warders two days ago.  But, like many dark rituals, the blood of a freshly killed person is the main component.  I was in the process of looking for an alternative when you arrived.  From what you say I was too late in figuring it out in time to stop the gnolls."

"And I'm sure if we were to read your notes we'll find mention of 'must find alternative to reprehensible blood sacrifices," Mits says sarcastically.

"No, of course you won't.  I was surrounded by fanatics who specialize in finding out secrets.  None of my real motives were written anywhere.

"As far as looking into building an army of Warders without sacrifices, I'm guessing it's not feasible.  Possible, but at the expense of tens of thousands of gold worth of residium.  But I doubt you're that rich.  What I was proposing is that if we were to team up, we could defeat the Mages of Saruun by as early as tomorrow afternoon.  Because I know how to find them."
Terdisas
 GM, 697 posts
Thu 10 Jul 2014
at 00:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird gives Callie a dull look.  "Callie, I love yah, but 'army of killer golems' is not something that ever squawking ends well.  Even if a puppy was leading them."

  "If we did opt for an all out assault upon them, would you be providing direct aid?"  Or just sitting back not in any personal danger.
Callie
 NPC, 271 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 14 Jul 2014
at 06:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie just gives Superbird a weird look. "...so you've seen it before, Superbird? Or even heard of it before we started bumping into these things?"

She turns her attention back to what Mittens was saying and at the mention of blood sacrifices, just tosses her hands in the air. Then turns her attention back to Paldemar. "Remind me why you kept fighting us instead of surrendering, even when we were clearly winning and channeling powers from good gods while spouting all that goody-goody stuff only villains deplore?"
Mittens
 GM, 1075 posts
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 02:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"If you allow it, yes," Paldimar answers Terdisas.

Mits answers Callie, "Likely he or Terdisas (familiar bond and all that) read the same kinda books I did - where the moral of every story about advancement of magic or technology is 'You am play gods!  You am go too far!  You am reach beyond grasp!'  Because the new spell or technology invariably backfires catastrophically."

Paldimar glances at Callie then to Mittens and grumbles, "I only remained conscious long enough to hear things like, 'magic missile, moron.'"

Mits grins and chuckles.  "Gee hee."

"I can't speak for what the Vecna zealots did after I passed out.  As for your channeling, there's enough adventurers out there with similar powers to yours but without your convictions that they didn't tell me a thing about whether I could believe in you."
Terdisas
 GM, 699 posts
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 02:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Oh, no.  Nothing about hubris, chirp. Hubris is AWESOME.  Just putting the guy, out for revenge, in charge of a bunch of Golems, that tried to kill us, I may be bad at math but that does not add up."   "Math would involve more numbers, I think."  "Hey how about two plus two equals YOUR BEARDFACE IS DUMB?"
Callie
 NPC, 272 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 06:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Never suggested putting Paldemar in charge of them. Putting *us* in charge of them, however..."

Dido says, "Could take too long. Let's just go storm the gate already. All those in favor of trusting Paldemar, raise your hand."

Dido, of course, doesn't raise his hand.

Callie looks like she wants to raise her hand, but waits to see what the others do.
Mittens
 GM, 1178 posts
Wed 6 Aug 2014
at 03:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau folds her arms and headshakes.  Mits shrugs.

"Storming the gate sounds good to me.  We can knock Paldimar out and leave him tied up in halfling face's inn."

Paldimar sighs.  "I suppose since you likely know ritual casting you don't even need me to get to their lair...  Though they've likely changed the arcane lock code.  Even tied up I could coach you through picking it and the opening ritual at least."
Terdisas
 GM, 703 posts
Wed 6 Aug 2014
at 03:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Look, just cut it out with the dark eldritch lore of blood sacrifice and murderous golems.  From the look of things you just may end up the last remaining wizard as it is if you behave yourself."
Callie
 NPC, 273 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 6 Aug 2014
at 18:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Their lair? A lock? I thought they were accessible. We've been walking right up to them a few times now."

Dido says, "Don't tell me the mages we've been talking to are just illusory projections?"
Mittens
 GM, 1185 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 03:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Very well," Paldimar answers Terdisas.

He headshakes to Dido "Theirs is a simple disguise.  They wear identical robes and masks when in public to hide their identities and numbers.  When I left, there was only 3 other mages.  their primary defense is a trap and monster filled labyrinth surrounding the hideout surrounding the hideout.  There is a way to teleport in and out with magic if you stand at the Minotaur statue and cast the correct spell.  I'll bet they've changed the lock by now."

"So we have ogre face summon Saruun face at minotaur statue, bonk them, then question Mage face for the new key spell."

Kitau thumbs ups.
Terdisas
 GM, 704 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 04:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Provided they do not simply teleport away, but it is still a better plan than previously."  "Chirp, don't they have rituals for that sort of thing?"  Probably? But the module likely did not account for that.
Callie
 NPC, 274 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 19:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Rituals to stop a teleport? Dunno... besides, we would have to take the 10 to 60 minutes setting up such a ritual right in front of the brute's face. A ritual for us to teleport, though, we would need to have been to the destination already... and it's a ritual that's above my pay grade."

Dido says, "I like the current plan. It's simple, doesn't require trusting the untrustworthy, and lets us punch ONE mage at a time."
Mittens
 GM, 1187 posts
Tue 12 Aug 2014
at 02:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"How close do you have to be to the statue for the teleport spell to work," Mits asks.

"You have to be standing right next to it," Paldimar answers.

"Good to know.  So let's have Kitau and Dido drag him away from the statue then all of us focus on knocking him out fast."

"What about Brug?"

"Not that worried about a lackey ogre face after having taken on demons, animated metal minotaurs, and waves of gnolls.  At worst he'll be terrified of us when we overpower his boss in under 20 seconds and tries to run.  Hate runners."

Kitau pulls Paldimar to his feet and ties him on a tether to her mount.  She then mounts up.
Terdisas
 GM, 705 posts
Tue 12 Aug 2014
at 03:19
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Chirp, I meant ones to let you use anchored magical transport spots, but yeah casting it for ten minutes in front of an Ogre would be a bit squawking suspicious."

  "I wonder whatever happened to that one we knocked off a cliff that barely survived?  Or was that a troll."
Dido
 NPC, 177 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 12 Aug 2014
at 03:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "...thought that was a duergar?"

Callie says, "Jeez... fought so many monsters, it's getting hard to remember it all. Good thing Mittens keeps a journal." she smiles up at Mittens, reaching up to pet the kitty on the back.

The pair of halflings make their way out with the group. Dido says, "For what it's worth, Paldimar... the truth always comes out. We will be sure that yours will be a fair trial. More than we can say for the other mages, who will likely fight to the death."
Mittens
 GM, 1189 posts
Wed 13 Aug 2014
at 03:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"It was both," Mits says, "The duergar we booted swore revenge.  The other guy looked like he didn't like his job in the first place, so I'm not expecting to see him again."

She smiles brightly at Callie.  "Thanks!"

"Trial?" Paldimar asks, confused, "The only legal authority in this area are the Mages of Sarun..."

"I suppose our overthrowing the legal authority of this area technically constitutes an act of war.  That'll make for interesting writing.  'The Seven Pillar War began with the Battle of Thirty Seconds.'  Once we've conquered this realm, that makes us royalty, right?  Unless we claim the land in the name of Fallcrest.  Or abdicate rulership to someone."

"Leave Ulthand Deepgem in charge," Kitau suggests.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:28, Wed 13 Aug 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 706 posts
Thu 14 Aug 2014
at 04:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Honestly, I am less concerned with the politics and more with dealing with the latest idiot to send assassins after us just because we are in the area."  The place will probably last all of five minutes after they leave before falling into vaguely not good.
Callie
 NPC, 275 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 17 Aug 2014
at 08:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "We can worry about the fate of the place's rulership when the mages are taken care of. Though for the record, I agree with Kitau about Ulthand."

Dido nods. "Let's go then."

Mittens
 GM, 1192 posts
Tue 19 Aug 2014
at 03:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits chuckles.  "Irony: Guy who was going to give our dead bodies to gnolls likely to wind up being spared.  Legal authority who hired us to stop guy who tried to kill us likely to wind up dead.  I wonder if they'll plea for their lives and offer us treasure for their release..."

Kitau makes a beeline for Ulthand's company.  He smiles at her.  "Good to see you well!  How goes the adventuring?"

"It's time to take down the Mages.  Hold this prisoner for us."

"It will be my honor to do you all a favor.  I only wish I were young enough to join you in caving those Mages' skulls in."
Terdisas
 GM, 707 posts
Tue 19 Aug 2014
at 05:19
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Yes, it has been another one of those days all around."   "Chirp, I am running out of witty things to say on the situation."  "I am certain you will think of some ice jokes later."
Callie
 NPC, 276 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 19 Aug 2014
at 05:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido gives the dwarf a Moradin salute and says, "Then I will give them each one extra hit, just for you."

With that, he leaves, determined to do just that.

Callie and Dido head for the mages. Callie wanted to say hi to irontusk, but figured she'll have time enough for that AFTER these tyrants have felt what it's like to lick someone's boot. On the way, Callie says, "Make no mistake; while I fight for mercy, I have not forgotten what Paldemar has done. No matter the excuses, he went too far long ago when he hired men to kill us without knowing us. And made those men convinced death was better than what he had in store for them. He may live, but if so, he will live to regret his actions. And no money will buy us off. I have faith in Sehanine, may the goddess of love be praised. She lifted me up when none of my family was around anymore. But I have just as much faith in you; my beloved. My new family. I know we can do this, and I know we can make the right choice."
Mittens
 GM, 1194 posts
Sat 23 Aug 2014
at 03:05
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Ulthand smiles and salutes Dido back.  "Appreciate that."

Mits chuckles at the Superbird-Terdisas interplay then blushes at Callie's declaration of adoption.  Pyrus flitters over to Callie and ambushes her with a barrage of face-licks.  Meanwhile Mits prestidigitates a shower of sparkley valentines she sprays over Callie.  "You're sweeter than candy, Callie.  Thank you for the kind words."

The ambush works out as planned.  The mage is tackled and pushed away far enough from the statue by the little warriors and overwhelmed by the heroes' assault.  He screams for Brugg to 'Kill them!' struggles, and blasts for a bit.  But when he figures out they are no match for the heroes he curls up into the fetal position and begs for mercy!  Brugg freaks out and tries to flee, but a squad of dwarven minors block his escape!  He fights till the end - which isn't very long.
Terdisas
 GM, 708 posts
Sun 24 Aug 2014
at 01:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Hmm, my upbringing had a higher standard of wizard overlords."  Of course, the Cowled Wizards were usually more of a plot handwave than a stat listed encounter.  "Chirp, arresting spellcasters you don't like does tend to make you the best ones left by default."
Dido
 NPC, 178 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 1 Sep 2014
at 22:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "You will be given more mercy than you ever showed. By the way; I promised Ulthand I'd give you each an extra hit, just for him. So this is for Ulthand Deepgem." WHAM! K.O. And out the mage goes. He stands straight again and looks at the others. "Terdisas has a point. That was surprisingly easier than expected."

Callie says, "He didn't have a bunch of gnolls and Vecna face-ripping freaks assisting him. All he had was Brugg, who we had the help of these fine men with!"

Callie and Dido both give sunshine smiles to the dwarves who came to help. The team isn't used to having locals help out this much.
Mittens
 GM, 1196 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 03:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits shrugs at Terdisas' comment.  "Maybe this guy was the wimpiest of the Mages of Saruun?  Guess we'll find out when we fight the others.  I'm beginning to wonder if even the wizard overlords of your homeland could stand against us.  Each new tyrant we topple makes us that much more powerful."

She smiles and waves at the helpful dwarves.

"Thanks for blocking Brug's escapes!  Saves us having to run him down."

The dwarves smile and salute the group.  "Our pleasure!  Thanks back at ya for facing off that mage.  Never thought I'd see the day when I'd hear one of them squeal.  How you gunna draw out the rest, though?"

Mits explains the plan while Kitau helps tie up the prisoners.

"So you're gunna interrogate the mage?  Awesome!  Hope you don't mind if we watch."

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:39, Mon 08 Sept 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 709 posts
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 03:18
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "They don't actually seem to care to bother people unless it is 'unsanctioned magic'.  So any corruption would simply be things like traders selling stolen platinum and rubies at cheaper rates because the visiting archbishop of Bahamut did not want to pay the average trade price, and was given a choice."   After a moment, he adds "Just as a theoretical example."

 "Chirp, good save."  -Superbird penalty to bluff must have caused that 2.

OOC: Bluff check for 'that totally didn't happen I made that up'.  oh dear rolled a 2.  16 total.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:19, Mon 08 Sept 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 179 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 04:51
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido glances up at Terdisas. Then says, "Positions of power can corrupt people, no matter where that position lies. Rank or no rank, I plan to get to the bottom of that, now that you have brought it up. But archbishops using money for their own ends can wait till after we defeat these evil mages."

Callie goes to wake the mage, making sure the mage is able to see the unconscious Brug. Then steps aside for Dido and Kitau.

Dido asks a simple question of the mage, "Easy way? Or hard way?"
He may not believe in torture, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have something in mind.


Dido insight: d20+4: rolled 17 total. Yup. He juuust caught you were covering up.
Mittens
 GM, 1197 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 05:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Mittens decides it best not to comment on previous topic and instead focus on interrogating."

Kitau presses a blade against the mage's cheek to get "the hard way" point across.

"Easy way!  Easy way!" the mage shrieks, "Please don't hurt me!  I'll do anything!  What do you want?  Money?  Magic items?  Someone you want found and killed?"

"The spell to activate the portal to the Mages of Saruun hideout."

"My spellbook!  Take whatever you want!  They're all valuable!"

Mits takes the book and starts flipping.  "Hmm.  Evil spell...  evil spell...  shield spell...  very evil spell...  Ah!  Here it is.  Activation cantrip for ancient Minotaur teleportation statue.  Ooh!  Even includes pronunciation key!  Very thorough."

"I didn't speak ancient minotaur when I scribed the spell."
Terdisas
 GM, 710 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 05:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  This is where Byron would be saying his wizard is against Necromancy while also talking about how cool it was to one-shot that dragon out of the sky with ray of enfeeblement and he should totally use more of these, or whichever particular spell that particular podcast mentioned.

  "Well, that's a very professional way of notetaking at leas-"

  "NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD.  Tweet."
Callie
 NPC, 277 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 06:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido knows Kitau well enough by now to save the fist-pumping for when the mages are ALL taken down. "Let's go, then. We can leave this guy in the capable hands of these fine men." he points to the dwarves.

Callie nods. "Mittens? Is it a cantrip that a non-wizard can learn? If not, are you able to teleport us all?"
Mittens
 GM, 1203 posts
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 01:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits chuckles at the Terdisas / Superbird exchange.  She looks over the book and chuckles again.

"I've got a feeling anyone can use the portal.  You just need to pronounce the words right.  But yeah.  It looks like either way only one person needs speak the password to open the door, then anyone who wants to may pass through for the next few seconds."

The dwarves look a little disappointed.  "We thought for sure you'd have to pull a few fingernails to get him to talk.  Is this really the Ordinator Arcanus?"

Kitau walks over to the minotaur statue and looks expectantly at Mits and the others.  Mits heads over toward Kitau and answers the dwarves.  "We're told that there is no 'The' Ordinator.  The Mages of Saruun all took turns playing the role."
Terdisas
 GM, 711 posts
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 02:02
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Chirp, I wonder how much arguing there is over who gets to wear the spooky mask?"  Terdisas considers this, and says "Actually, before we leave.  Perhaps I could take advantage of that, if only to dissuade for a few moments anyone waiting on the other side."

  Free gold mask! Whoo!  "Yeah, you're the only one tall enough for that trick.  That doesn't have girly curves the robe can't hide at least. tweet."
Dido
 NPC, 180 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 22 Sep 2014
at 03:53
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Good thought. Though do the others on the other side of the portal know we have quote-en-quote betrayed them? I'd rather not have you walk through with only a mask as protection. I'd like to take point for you. But if I do, that kind of negates the point of going in there with the mask."

Callie says, "Let's just go in there. Ultimately, a disguise would only be useful if Terdisas was infiltrating. Which we're not doing."

This would be a great time for Terdisas to shape-shift and wear the guy's clothes! ....but then the enemies have some special fist-bump password and all is discovered anyway. Poor Meriele...
Mittens
 GM, 1204 posts
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 02:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Oooh!  That reminds me!"

Mits grabs Mage Face's amulet.

"How do you control the golems?"

"Each golem is controlled with it's own specific amulet.  The commands are written in my book."

"Woohoo!"

Mits quickly reads up and shares with the group the controls.

"So where's yours?"

"Should still be standing guard on the other side of the portal."

Mits grins at the others.  "With the dark robe and mask and golem, even with us following him in plain sight, Terdisas could at least momentarily fool the baddies long enough for us to surprise 'em.  Then for each mage we defeat, we get another golem."
Terdisas
 GM, 712 posts
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 03:14
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  No shapeshifting required, thanks to the mask.  Not that Terdisas can shapeshift or anything, that would be crazy.

  One robes over robes and mask over beard later (no wonder disguise is a skill check), Terdisas is ready to impersonate... Whatever his name is, probably not important.  Superbird isn't going to temporarily vanish from existence until they actual head through the portal though.
Dido
 NPC, 181 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 23 Sep 2014
at 04:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Thanks to the turn in developments, Dido begrudgingly lets Terdisas take the lead. But he is ready to charge up front at a moments' notice. Not that he'll need to with a friggin' METAL MINOTAUR on their side.

Callie and Dido follow Terdisas through to the other side. Callie looks a little excited. "....I want a remotely-controlled metal golem..."
Mittens
 GM, 1206 posts
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 02:14
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Dibs on the next golem!" Mittens announced before glancing at Callie.

"...For Callie!"

Sheepish grin with high pitch balloon deflation sound.  The group finds the golem on the other side, and it obeys all the set commands Terdisas gives it.  Such as <Minotaur>"Do not target me or my friends in combat."</Minotaur> or <Minotaur>"Only attack those I point at and say 'Attack.'"</Minotaur>

When the group encounters the first mage, he looks irritated.

"Orion!  What's the meaning of this?!  Only initiates are allowed to WHA!?"

Kitau cuts him off with a charge and Mits with a magic blast!

<Minotaur>"Attack!"</Minotaur> He screams, pointing his finger!

His golem prepares to enter combat.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:25, Wed 24 Sept 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 713 posts
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 02:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  <impression>"You never paid me back the five gold I loaned you, which you keep claiming never happened."</impression>

  Terdisas declares with a far more melodramatic point, <minotaur>"Attack!</minotaur>  He also showcases his ability to multitask, considering the lightning that comes with said finger point.
Dido
 NPC, 182 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 03:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido immediately takes point with Kitau! "We have control of a minotaur also!"

Callie says, "You can surrender and spare yourself the pain..." She pulls out her bastard sword and throws white fire at the mage in hopes of bolstering Kitau's HP before the girl warrior gets hurt.
Mittens
 GM, 1217 posts
Tue 7 Oct 2014
at 19:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The mage refuses to surrender, but is defeated readily enough.  Terdisas' golem stops attacking.  Mits hurries to snatch the necklace off the fallen spell caster and orders his golem to stop attacking!  It obeys!  Kitau ties up the baddie.

Mits hands the 2nd necklace over to Callie with a smile.  "Well that was pleasantly one-sided.  At this rate we'll have more golems than'll fit in a room."

She examines the damage to Ter's golem.  "I wonder if a 'mend item' ritual of some kind could fix this or if it requires 10,000 gold worth of blood sacrifice."

OOC: Apparently had typed but failed to copy-paste.
Terdisas
 GM, 714 posts
Thu 9 Oct 2014
at 23:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I'm sure it will be more like 20,000 worth of residium, only if the construct is specifically enchanted to be repaired that way."

  "Tweet, spells and rituals can be surprisingly finicky.  Only one foot or less damage or nothing happens, mundane walls only those ones you got the expensive glowing runes on will need to be replaced entirely."  It depends on the GM, really.  Sometimes you get told you can't repair your rock golem, other times they are very excited about the idea and think it is totally doable.

OOC: Yeah, I know exactly how 'I thought I posted this thing I already wrote' goes.
Callie
 NPC, 278 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 11 Oct 2014
at 02:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie says, "Even if we don't ever get them combat-ready, I'd like to keep one as a decoration back home. Or in our communal base if and when we get one."

Dido says, "A thought: We each keep one and start decorating them with stuff like a heart that says 'mother' on it, war-paint stuff for silliness, or for irony points; holy symbols of the gods we worship."

Callie looks down at the defeated mage. "I can't say I blame the guy for not surrendering. It's either die fighting or die at the end of a noose. Honestly, I wonder how we can offer surrender in a way our enemies will be willing. Obviously, it would be pointless against a foe who has only execution to look forward to. But what about those who actually have a chance to reform?"

Dido says, "We can discuss that after we finish taking down the mages."
Mittens
 GM, 1220 posts
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 03:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits loots the fallen mage's spellbook, skims through it, then shakes her head in disapproval, showing it to Terdesas.  The pages are a mess of intentionally poorly drawn diagrams, sloppy mirrored draconic shorthand, and obviously misleading information written in common.

"This guy sure takes the superstition about securing your spellbook against unauthorized reading seriously."

She busts out laughing when Dido suggests silly decoration for the bronze warders.

"Now I'm imagining one dressed in a maid's outfit with a basket full of milk jugs!  Or maybe in a chef's outfit with a spatula and meat fork in hand."

She shrugs to Callie's question and thumbs up to Dido's suggestion. "I get the feeling this one would not have surrendered no matter what we said."

The remaining mages are easily overwhelmed and captured.  None are willing to surrender, but the last one tried to run after sicking his pet golem rather than fight.

OOC: Poking fun of old editions that had in the rules that any spellbook not your own was unreadable without a successful spellcraft check regardless of how many languages you knew.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:58, Mon 13 Oct 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 715 posts
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 01:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  A spellbook written by Terdisas's player by hand would be incomprehensible to anyone, including player a few days later.  Though that is more 'terrible handwriting' than anything else.

  "Well, that went better than expected." His expectations involved grievous bodily harm and more incredibly annoying traps.  This was almost pleasant, if not for the fact it still involved a bunch of jerks.
Callie
 NPC, 279 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 05:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie is amazed at what a butt-bootin' set of fights this was. What irony. "...I could just kiss you all right now. I'm just happy this is over."

Dido says, "Sort of... let's make sure everything is settled..."

With that, the halflings return with the group to the town and Dido gives the report of how it all went down.
Mittens
 GM, 1221 posts
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 21:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Yay for us!" Mits cheers, "Yay for when things go better than expected!"

She blows a kiss to Callie.  Kitau walks over to Callie to give her a peck on the cheek.  Deepgem declares a paid holiday and the dwarves all cheer and celebrate!  Rendil rolls out a keg with a big smile and starts making money hand over fist.
Terdisas
 GM, 716 posts
Fri 17 Oct 2014
at 12:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "And nobody of importance was put through too much harm."

  "I'm more surprised at the paid holiday, that would never fly in your hometown bossman."

  "Of course it does.  So long as the one getting paid is the one who decides the holidays."
Dido
 NPC, 183 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 5 Nov 2014
at 19:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Speaking of your hometown, Ter, if this is really over with, we have an appointment with them."

Dido is sure to join in the drinking. Worshiper of Moradin and all that. He seems to be keeping up with the dwarves quite well.

Callie returns the kisses in kind (a kiss to Kitau's cheek and a blown kiss to Mittens) and pets Kitau's hair a bit before pondering and going to give Dido a kiss on the cheek. He blushes and looks slightly stunned. He bro-hugs her. Callie then walks to Terdisas, ridiculously huge sword slung over a shoulder and smiles up at him and taps her cheek.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:58, Wed 05 Nov 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 1228 posts
Sun 16 Nov 2014
at 01:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits has a mug, nursing it slowing, Kitau doesn't show any interest in the free beer.

"Mittens has been aching to flagrantly use illegal magic on the faces of the bullies in charge of Terdisas' hometown, but doubts that we have the power to depose them just yet.  The scale of the tyrant Mages of Saruun likely doesn't hold a candle to the political and magical clout held by Terdisas' tormentors.  But at the rate we're going, we'll be mushing demigods in under two year's time."
Terdisas
 GM, 717 posts
Sun 16 Nov 2014
at 01:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "While I appreciate the sentiment, I would really appreciate it even more if you did not bring extra attention to my family by trying to kick over the sandcastle of 'totally legitimate merchant city we swear'." Let's see, parents still content with the way of things, personal inconvenience aside for their son. Still like making money off the lucrative platinum and rubies business both legal and 'I see you are asking for the It Fell Off A Wagon special again, mister Bahamut cardinel' sort, etc.

  Then Callie makes her silent request, and Terdisas smiles as he kneels down to short person eye level.  The sorcerer, gives the cleric a gentle kiss on the cheek, saying "Things have not turned out so poorly for me in the end though, having met you all."

  After a quite moment, he says "Though there is something I would like to speak with you all regarding, when it is more private."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:58, Sun 16 Nov 2014.

Dido
 NPC, 184 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sun 16 Nov 2014
at 07:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido hears Ter and immediately puts his mug down. "Say the word, Terdisas, and I will speak with you privately." he waits for Ter to say the word.

Callie smiles at Ter, then ohs when he mentions not wanting things to change in his hometown. Then nods when Ter mentions speaking privately.

Dido adds, "But that bit about your home town? I will only lower it on my priorities. But if it winds up either the only injustice around, or I happen to be there, you know I will be unable to look away without throwing away an important piece of myself. Though for what it's worth, I don't see our going there as a likely thing."
Mittens
 GM, 1229 posts
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 06:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits nods, thumbing in Dido's direction.

"What he said.  Both parts.  Though I would rather if secret meeting waited till after party time.  I promise I won't get drunk off this one mug.  Only drinking it to be polite anyway.  Hmm..."

She waves her hand over the mug, conjuring a scoop of ice cream in it.  Sip.

"Mmm.  Better."
Terdisas
 GM, 718 posts
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 06:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Nothing so serious as to drop everything, though it is kind of you to consider me over the first night of pleasantry in quite a while."  Ter may have noodlea arms, but he has the same Con modifier as the rest of the party.

  "Chirp, I don't think this is the sort of place where being polite is the end goal to drinking most days."
Callie
 NPC, 280 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 21 Nov 2014
at 20:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie smiles at Superbird and says, "...most days." before offering a tweet treat to Superbird. She then looks up at Terdisas and says, "You are enjoying yourself, right?"

Which causes her to glance to Mittens. "And you? I mean... you said you're just drinking to be polite, but I hope that doesn't mean you're feeling forced to..."

Dido adds, "Eh. Mittens has that magic of hers that she can use to change the taste if she wants."

Better living through magic! You can make green beans and beer taste like cookies & cream ice cream! It tastes great AND good for you!
Mittens
 GM, 1230 posts
Sat 22 Nov 2014
at 03:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits grins and thumbs-ups at Terdisas.

"S'what friends are for!  That and vanquishing evil together!  Worry not for Mittens feeling compelled to imbibe, Callie.  As Dido pointed out, I could make it taste like Dragon's Breath if I wanted."

Waving her hand over the mug, it growls and smokes then spews fire!  Mits secretly freezes the drink so she can pretend to chug the whole thing, then turn green and collapse, playing dead, and hold a daisy over herself.

When time comes to have secret meeting, she'll follow along with the group.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:05, Sat 22 Nov 2014.

Terdisas
 GM, 719 posts
Sat 22 Nov 2014
at 04:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas nods, "Of course.  A relaxing time with nothing trying to kill us or the immediate local population, for once."

  Superbird chirps, "Wow, she didn't melt.  That's some low quality dragon's breath, tweet."

  And then a scene transition happened *Spinning background and superbird logo*
  *Superbird flips over and is Deceptibird*

  Terdisas is with the others in the most conveniently large Inn room available, superbird perched on a dresser.

  "There are... Two reasons I felt I had to leave Amn for my family's protection.  The first you already know, the risk of freshly manifested sorcery being out of my control.  The cowled wizards would happily ignore me so long as I never used it, but it was not strictly voluntary at that time.  It could have brought more scrutiny to my family than safe."

  He considers Mittens and Kitau.  "There were times earlier I considered explaining more..."

Highly Biased Flashback:
"hmm, maybe I should tell them"

  Kitau repeatedly headbutts the cage holding the imprisoned but not dead right this second Goblins "Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood!

  Meanwhile, Mittens holds a marshmallow over her staff with prestigigitation as she BBQs the improsoned goblins.  "Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!"

  "...Nevermind"

"...But I was still afraid of what the response would be.  Now though, I feel safer, if still worried.  There is no dramatic reveal of my true nature, because what you see is who I am is who I have always been, the one person I can truly be and no poor imitation that can never be real.  I am a... Changeling."

  Superbird ruins the moment by poofing into a blue parrot and flopping off the dresser shocked stiff.  "...What the squawk! You're a what now!?"  "I thought you knew this already."  "I'm a familiar, not flocking psychic!"

  Terdisas double facepalms.
Callie
 NPC, 281 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 22 Nov 2014
at 04:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido looks Terdisas over. Then asks, "....what's a changeling?"

Callie ohs and says, "It means he was born with the ability to change his appearance."

Dido is walking around Ter slowly, examining him with a skeptical look. Then looks at Superbird. "I guess if Terdisas can change his appearance, then your ability to do so must have come from that."

Callie looks back up at Terdisas and asks, "I can understand being worried because of your background... but just to check, why are you worried?"
Mittens
 GM, 1231 posts
Sun 23 Nov 2014
at 02:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau skews her lips, shrugs, and thumbs-ups at Terdisas, looking like she considers what he said to be about as Earth-shattering as someone insisting that they buy everyone breakfast for being such good friends...  Or maybe less so because a nice announcement like that might make her smile.

Mits giggles then covers her mouth, giving Terdisas a sheepish look.  "Sorry.  I know this is a big deal.  Just he's so silly."

She'll let Terdesas field the lore about familiars.  Mits clears her throat, digs out a hand-made booklet, faces Dido and Callie, and leafs through the book.  "Let's see.  C... Cambion... Carrion Crawler...  Here we go.  Changeling.  'Changelings are shapechangers, a people able to assume the features of other humanoids.  Known also as doppelgangers, changelings' talents breed mistrust and fear, leading many changelings to hide their true nature from even their closest companions.  Many changelings seek only to avoid unwanted attention and to find a place in the world.'  D...  Demon... Devil... Devourer...  Doppleganger.  'The consummate shapechanger a doppelganger can bring entire kingdoms to ruin through duplicity and subterfuge without ever drawing a sword.  Doppelgangers are much like humans in their behavior, and as such, an individual doppelganger might have any disposition imaginable.  A doppelganger might look like an eladrin wizard, a dwarf fighter, or even a dragonborn paladin.  It can’t duplicate a person’s apparel or carried items, so it must dress and equip itself for the part.  For this reason, it keeps several changes of clothing in its lair.

"Now let's see what it says about Mittens.  S...  Sahuagin... Shambling Mound... Shifter.  'Sometimes called “the weretouched” because they’re descended from lycanthropes, shifters resemble humans with animalistic features.  Bla bla bla hereditary obsession with the moon...  Savage rage ability...  Value physical prowess.

"G...  Gibbering Beast...  Gnoll...  Gnome.  'Renowed for their explosive strength and brutal fighting style, Gnomes are a no-nonsense people who's practical outlook supplements their overwhelming desire to hack evil to pieces.'  How 'bout that.  I guess there had to be at least one in our group who perfectly fit their racial stereotype.

"Kidding!  Just made that last bit up to make the point that our group is comprised of individuals of much individuality who have not mistreated one another for being members of a monster race known for fits of savagery and mewing at the moon.  Mittens is of the opinion that a hero is entitled to keep as much private about themselves as they see fit.  I'm just glad your announcement isn't that you've grown wary of the hardships of heroing and are retiring for good.  Hearing that would make me cry."


Kitau nods.  "What she said."
Terdisas
 GM, 719 posts
Sun 23 Nov 2014
at 07:33
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Chirp, nah.  I'm just seem to be more okay with the fact I'm am eldritch manifestation instead of an actual bird while Bossman wants to be himself like a special snowflake."

  "Even I'm not certain of the specific reasons a changeling is different than a doppelganger, despite being the former.  Many of the merchants of Amn are already a cutthroat and deceptive lot, so what I am being uncovered would be much worse than mere imprisonment for my sorcerous abilities."

  He sighs,  "As for you... Well, even the kindest of you follows a goddess who's most well known artifacts are specifically meant for killing shapeshifters.  That's a start, even with Mittens's points."  "Chirp, Sehanine also hates crossbows, like the one you never use for some reason.  Callie totally wouldn't stab you in the face for using a crossbow. All the people with crossbows she's stabbed were for different reasons."

  We are back to facepalm!  "I am so glad this is resulting in a silly anticlimax.  Because I would hate to think of how you would encourage me otherwise."

This message was last updated by the GM at 07:33, Sun 23 Nov 2014.

Callie
 NPC, 282 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 23 Nov 2014
at 05:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie pshaws. "That weapon was mostly designed with lycanthropes in mind. The fact it would hurt you or Mittens is just a consequence of what it is. But in the same way, just because someone makes a weapon designed to hurt halflings more than anyone else doesn't mean they hate halflings. It could just mean they are just being cautious." (Let's face it. Even in the real world, most weapons were designed by humans to kill humans, yet most weapons were likely not forged from hatred, but sheer practicality or ingenuity.)

Dido says, "The nicest of us... in fact, all of us, are violent killers, covered in the blood of enough victims to have lost count, even just on an individual basis. But that doesn't make you or any of us less heroic. And it doesn't make us any more out to get you than you are out to get us."

Callie opens her arms to Terdisas. "I will hug and kiss you as you are, just as I will hug and kiss the others as they are. You are you, no matter what body you were born with. And that's who we love."
Kitau
 Player, 57 posts
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 03:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau smirs at the "special snowflake" comment.

Mits nod-nods.  "Anticlimax much preferred over drama amongst friends, yes.  I keep thinking, 'So awesome!  Wish I could change shape.  How useful!'  Buth then, looking back, I can't think of a time when we really needed the ability.  So then my mind goes, 'So what if it's not all that essential?  It would be fun!"  And I have to admit my brain has a point.  So if there's any drama on my part, its a mild case of childish envy.  Any other potential drama I'm sure we can deal with sanely when it comes up."

"I don't care about what race anyone is.  But if we leave the punishment of the murderous monsters we capture in the hands of people I don't trust, I'll spear them where they stand if it looks like they'll be released."
Terdisas
 GM, 720 posts
Thu 4 Dec 2014
at 04:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Tweet, Bossman mostly gets covered with his own blood.  But that's more a distance thing."

  Terdisas ignores Superbird completely this time, and the sorcerer kneels down to accept Callie's embrace.  "Thank you, though I am certain only crazy people would make weapons solely to harm halflings."  Well, maybe if it was Darksun.

  "I suppose nearly getting speared where I stood for looking like I might escape the last time I tried a different look is part of what turned me off on the whole thing."
Callie
 NPC, 283 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 4 Dec 2014
at 16:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
While hugging Terdisas, Callie looks concerned. "Is it... something you can still do? Or did your experiences literally cause you to be less able now?" She looks around. "Someone make double-sure nobody's able to spy on us... I wanna see." she looks back to Ter with a somewhat impish smile. "Besides... I can't help but be curious. I've never seen someone change shape before."

Mittens' razorclaw shifting is too subtle a change to count as changing SHAPE.

Dido says, "But that's only if you want to, Ter. Personally, I'll understand if you'd rather not; even when you know you're safe and just showing friends."
Kitau
 Player, 58 posts
Tue 9 Dec 2014
at 04:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau double-checks the door, window, ceiling, etc...

Mittens sweatdrops. "I'll understand if this suddenly got very awkward and embarrassing."

She pauses for a moment, looking like she's holding something in.  "Mittens too is ever so curious, but does not want to add any more pressure on her friend.  Then her mind races through a zillion awkward questions like, 'Can he make himself look like a dire warforged zombie vampire ninja pirate?  Would his blood be a different color, or would he bleed at all in such a form?  What was his original look?  Does he ever need a haircut?  Does it take effort to remain in an alternate shape?  Could he impersonate a beholder?  What if he changed into a monster in his sleep and we mistook him for a badguy?  If he were a fighter could he wield a dozen weapons at once?  Would a baleful polymorph spell even work on him?  How tall can he get if he made himself super skinny?  Does he even have to be skinny to be tall?  How big/small can he go?'  Mittens thinks better of asking any of her limitless questions."
Terdisas
 GM, 721 posts
Tue 9 Dec 2014
at 05:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas says, "I am not physically incapable, it is just something I have never really put to much use, even without such incidents."

   Mittens wearing Terdisas's clothes rolls her eyes  "Yes, no, yes, yes, optional, no, no, Thank you so much for the new thing to worry about I had not thought of, no, probably because Magic, not very, no, ranges between dwarf and Goliath.  Mittens is the only one of you Mittens can look like, you are all just too darned tiny for mittens to impersonate.  Mittens has poor eyesight compared to Mittens, because I only look like a talented lady who can see in the dark.  Prestigititatioooon oooooh sparkles ppfft pfft pop nope guess not that either.  Mittens the sorcerer makes magical gestures then her arms flop after she fails to produce any magical fireworks displays.

  Superbird looks over to Mittens Classic and says "Chirp, you called it on awkward and embarrassing for him all right."

  Terdisas shrugs,  "We're basically human, beyond the shapeshifting.  Which itself, sizes aside, is merely cosmetic and could lead to embarrassing moments where gnolls realize that the new guy larry guy doesn't know abyssal.  As I said, the me you know is what I look like normally.  Whether this is biological, or simply so ingrained into my life it has become so instead of some gray skinned man with cotton candy hair I can not rightly say."
Dido
 NPC, 185 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 10 Dec 2014
at 06:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido both look dizzy as Ter gives a pile of answers to questions they don't even remember half of. Callie is dizzy to the point of finding a place to sit.

Dido says, "Well... um... I think Mittens probably asked every question I would have thought of, but more. Yeesh. I guess I don't think of questions like that. Then again, Mittens is a wizard. Naturally, she'd be inquisitive. But I do have a question she didn't ask: Now that you know we have your back no matter what, do you plan to allow yourself more freedom with your power? Or do you plan to continue purposefully keeping yourself from changing shape?"
Mittens
 GM, 1262 posts
Sat 13 Dec 2014
at 03:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When Terdisas does his shape-shift impersonation, Mittens expresses her uncontainable jubilation by jumping up and down cheering and giggling.  "That was so awesome!"

Kitau watched Terdisas' with arms folded and lips skewed.  She follows Callie ready to catch her should she fall over before she sits.

Mits blushes and rubs behind her head bashfully when Terdisas' answers sink in.  "Sorry to make your worry.  Thanks for the compliment.  I hope your next answer will be 'yes.'"

Poof!  An angry duergar puppet appears on her left hand and a dead-pan Terdisas puppet appears on her right.

Duergar: "Grr!  Arg!  Hate your lightning!"

Terdisas: "That's nothing.  Impressive would be magic that makes you look cooler.  But I can try.  Behold!  Before..."

The Terdisas puppet morphs an unflattering duergar face.

"What?!  I don't look like tha..." "AFTER!"

The duergar is interrupted with a frost spell!

"I see what you did there..."  The duergar keels over.

Kitau rubs her chin in thought as if giving the idea actual serious consideration.
Terdisas
 GM, 722 posts
Sat 13 Dec 2014
at 03:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Chirp, you forgot the part where Bossman gets hit by beard quills again."

  "Well, even without my worries I am simply more comfortable as I am.  Though if we come to a time where it would honestly make things easier for us all, I would not be against it.  Language and physiological limitations for our usual enemies of course, mean it is not something that has come up that often in the past regardless."

  "And then a mask did the job anyways when it did, tweet."
Callie
 NPC, 284 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 15 Dec 2014
at 02:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido giggle from Mitts' puppet show.

Callie says, "Good point, Superbird. Well useful in adventuring or not, Terdisas, you've already proven it was useful for entertainment. But with five people thinking about it, you might be surprised the number of uses we think up for your ability. I suppose only time will tell."

Dido says, "I feel like I owe you some kind of deep secret... but frankly, I'm drawing a blank. I don't know of any secrets I've kept from you."
Mittens
 GM, 1264 posts
Thu 18 Dec 2014
at 05:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits grins that her antics made two of her friends giggle.  She's glad her pun didn't get any eye-rolls.  "Well since we're on the topic of racial powers, maybe you could share with the class what fancy ability Halflings get.  Shifters get fast and feral, Changelings change, Gnomes turn invisible, and Halflings..?"

Kitau yawns, looking sleepy.
Terdisas
 GM, 723 posts
Thu 18 Dec 2014
at 05:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas blanks on his lore check.  "Half the size but twice as good looking as Humans?" Well, it checks out in Dido and Callie's case, at least.

  Superbird says to Kitau, "Chirp, sorry if bossman is boring you to unconsciousness."
Callie
 NPC, 285 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 18 Dec 2014
at 06:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido look at each other and then look back at Mittens with shrugs. "Big appetites?" Dido suggests.

Callie notices Kitau yawning and squeaks, bringing a fist to her mouth. Then hugs Kitau. "You have the cutest little yawn..." Callie then looks up at Mittens and says, "I've been told my folk are just faster and luckier than humans. But I think that's just the size difference playing tricks on people. Nothing says every race has a "power", per say."

Dido says, "Sorry if my being of a race with no special powers disappoints you, Mittens."

Do we as humans in real life really realize we get +1 to all defenses, a bonus feat, and a bonus at-will? Not really. And so, neither do most halflings realize their luck is downright gifted by the gods. Callie has an inkling of it, though, due to who she worships. Hence her taking that feat to enhance it. But yeah, Shifters, gnomes, and changelings just so HAPPEN to have powers so blunt they would have to be denser than a rock to not notice.

Callie and Dido both blush from Ter's comment, though. "Thanks, Terdisas." Dido comments.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:31, Thu 18 Dec 2014.

Mittens
 GM, 1285 posts
Tue 6 Jan 2015
at 03:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau stifles a chuckle at Superbird's comment.  She blushes and returns Callie's hug.

"Well the rumor that Halflings are charming sure holds true for present company.  Boy...  It's going to take some getting used to to remember that when Terdisas talks about humans, he's not included.

"No need to apologize.  You and Callie have special powers aplenty as it is.  And you are awesome on your own, powers or no.

"Well it looks like it's sleepy time.  See ya all in the mornin."

Terdisas
 GM, 724 posts
Sat 10 Jan 2015
at 06:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I've spent enough time living as as one, that I practically am talking about myself in reference to humans.  Though yes, getting some rest would be nice.  Plenty of things to smash in our future I'm sure."
Callie
 NPC, 286 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 10 Jan 2015
at 06:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie goes to give Ter another hug before heading off to prep for bed. As usual, though, she's insistent that the group shares one room if possible.

Dido gives Ter a friendly nudge before getting ready for bed himself.
Mittens
 GM, 1292 posts
Tue 13 Jan 2015
at 02:43
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau gives a thumbs-up before pushing her cot to block the door then crash.

Mits blink-blinks.   "Seeing the halfling reassurances, Mittens feels obligated to give Terdisas some form of physical affirmation.  So..."

A mage hand appears over Terdisas and moves to pat him on the head.

"...In retrospect, maybe taking the Kitau rout would have been a better idea."

Mits writes in her book before falling asleep.

The following morning begins with a hearty meal served by Rendil, who looks to be in a great mood.  "Great news!  our new governor is halving the taxes!"

Mits grins and thumbs-ups.
Terdisas
 GM, 725 posts
Tue 13 Jan 2015
at 03:11
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas gives the short lady a gentle embrace, even though she's the one who could break him if she squeezed too hard and not the other way around.

  Then the kitty lady doggy pats him on the head. "Yes. Thank you, Mittens. Really." He deadpans.

  Morning comes along, and while that is often taken as good news he hopes this means the Mayor still will have enough to work with to pay the guards and such...  Though considering who ran things before, half taxes could very well mean wine and hot meals six times a day and holes in the road filled with hammered down coins.
Dido
 NPC, 186 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 05:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie gives her group an endearing look before eating. But once food is served, she goes right to stuffing her face like her fellow halfling Dido.

Dido looks up at Rendil from his chair with puffy cheeks from a stuffed face and ohs? He swallows and asks, "What were the tax rates before?"

Callie glances curiously at Rendil, listening for the answer.
Mittens
 GM, 1293 posts
Mon 19 Jan 2015
at 03:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits writes with one hand while eating with the other, seemingly not paying attention.

Rendil answers, "However much wasn't nailed down, and sometimes stuff that was nailed down, whenever Brugg was in the mood to toss my place.  Which was a lot.  Sooo... close to 100% of my net."

Mits snorts, dangerously close to spitting her food.  She then conjures a Brugg hand puppet wearing reading spectacles and a tax collector's outfit.  "This is a tax audit.  Our records indicate that in box 32a you were assessed 99.96% but you have only paid 99.95%  Due to this discrepancy, the Mages of Saruun have issued me a warrant for the seizure of three bar stools, a bookcase, and a front door to make up the difference plus penalties and interest."

Puppet versions of the heroes armed with puppet sized greatclubs appear and beat down Tax Brugg!  Rendil giggles.
Terdisas
 GM, 726 posts
Mon 19 Jan 2015
at 05:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Tweet, completely unrealistic.  Bossman's arms are WAY skinnier than that puppets."

 Tired failpost is failpost.
Callie
 NPC, 287 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 19 Jan 2015
at 07:38
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie and Dido giggle from the puppet show also. Callie checks to make sure Kitau is OK.

Dido says, "Well I'm glad things will be liveable soon."

Callie gives Rendil a half-lidded smile with her head leaned on her fist. "It's good to see you never gave up on your business. Any other plans for the future? Or just plan to enjoy being able to turn a profit at all?"
Mittens
 GM, 1298 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 07:23
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau looks to be doing fine and is having breakfast in silence.

Mits snorts at Superbird's tease and counters with a Superbird puppet with extremely muscular wings.

"Yeah!" the puppet cheers, flexing.

Rendil blushes and rubs behind his head.  "Uh... heh.  Does 'Marry a beautiful blonde and spoil her with delicious food,' count?"

Mits facepalms.  "Good luck with finding a girl willing to live in an abandoned minotaur laberynth."

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:53, Fri 23 Jan 2015.

Terdisas
 GM, 727 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 07:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas considers Rendil's chances on a vast sliding scale depending on just which blonde they had in mind.
Callie
 NPC, 288 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 08:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie giggles. That's exactly what she wanted to hear from Rendil. "Spoiling the girl you marry with good food totally counts for a plan. But be careful; don't want her becoming fat or wind up expecting you to break your back for her every craving."

Dido says, "We all have dreams. I'd like to get married too. But as long as evil is out there ruining others' lives, my chance of making that dream come true is slim."

Callie says, "Unless you have a Cleric of Sehanine around. I know one. Would you like to meet her? I'm sure she could help you out."

Dido chuckles. "OK, OK... point taken."

Callie offers some of what's on her plate to Kitau. Then looks around at the team. "So where to next? Do we have any clue where to pursue the rest of the slaves if there are any? Or can we go home for now and relax?"
Mittens
 GM, 1300 posts
Sat 24 Jan 2015
at 03:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Rendil nod-nods to Callie's suggestion.

"What's wrong with marrying a redhead?" Kitau asks, tugging on her bangs.

Rendil blushes and sputters.  "N-nothing wrongwithit.  Nothing at all!  I just... I just..."

Kitau smirks.  Deepgem steps in carrying a lumpy sack with him and answers Callie's question.  "The former slaves will be arriving at their homes soon, escorted by some of my men and two adventurers who said they helped you rescue them."

He drops the sack.  "This is everything that may of be value to you that we recovered from the mages.  Magical robes and whatnot."

Mits starts digging through the bag.  "Only clue for adventure I have is a note I found in Paldimar's spellbook and the weird, seemingly related, dream I had last night."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:39, Sat 24 Jan 2015.

Terdisas
 GM, 728 posts
Sun 25 Jan 2015
at 02:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Despite his charisma score, Terdisas opts out of the romance qualifiers chat for now.  He can always blame shock on hearing Kitau speak more than four words in a row that have nothing to do with violence, if needed.

  "Well, considering how things tend to occur, a 'weird, seemingly related dream' is most likely relevant."  He does examine the robes, as he is using Generic Magic Robes for budgetary and laziness reasons.
Dido
 NPC, 187 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 07:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie nearly jaw-drops at Kitau pulling a tease like that. Dido starts chuckling and Callie joins in, giggling.

The two halflings start sorting through the stuff also. With one hand. The other hand being used to hold food. The occasional sight of Callie or Dido having a muffin hang out their mouth in order to use both hands occurs.

Dido looks at Mittens. "Well don't keep us in suspense. Tell us your dream."
Mittens
 GM, 1302 posts
Wed 11 Feb 2015
at 03:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Within Paldimar's book is a map that shows a glowing pyramid within a lush forest, about a week’s travel north of Nentir Vale. Notes scribbled on the side of the page read: “Place of power.” “Vast magic for the taking.” And “Seek Karavakos.”

Kitau smirks slyly.  She doesn't look interested in the loot, though.

"Good point," Mits agrees with Terdisas, using mage hand to assist in the looting, "There was a note about vast magical power for the taking up north.  I then have a vague dream promising much the same, along with directions to head north."

"Hmm," Deepgem ponders, "I recall one of the mages trying to bribe his way out of his sentence with vague talk of knowing where a vast treasure is hidden, but nobody believed him since his excuse for not having scarfed it up already was because he only learned about it recently."

"Sounds like the dream might be a telepathic lure to wizards leading them to a trap," Mits concludes.
Terdisas
 GM, 729 posts
Wed 11 Feb 2015
at 03:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Chirp, don't Pyramids go in deserts?"  "Maybe they desired a change of scenery.  Though I do agree with the 'too good to be true' feeling of such things."
Callie
 NPC, 289 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Wed 11 Feb 2015
at 03:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie asks, "So if it's a trap, why go there?"

Dido answers, "Because other people less inclined to the reality of its trappitude will go get themselves killed for nothing."

Callie asks, "OK, so how do we disarm the trap?"

Dido shrugs. "Smash it to pieces? Seems to be the answer for every problem we have encountered."
Mittens
 GM, 1305 posts
Thu 12 Feb 2015
at 05:25
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits is beaming.  "I'm sooo happy that you're willing to look into this!  I didn't want to admit how eager I was to go on this adventure 'cause I was expecting everyone to be pining for a vacation and reluctant to chase down the oh-so tempting to me clue.

"What irony if an evil mage or three was led to their doom by this trap.  Though, if my hunch is correct, we'll be smashing through throngs of evil vampire wizards collected over the centuries by the master of the pyramid to some day conquer the land and plunge the world into eternal darkness through some huge blood ritual."


Kitau frowns, gets up, and heads for the door.  "Let's go."

OOC:  Some reason was reminded of this: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_BvDSTJFwU )
Terdisas
 GM, 730 posts
Fri 13 Feb 2015
at 01:24
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "That is... unfortunately specific."   "Well obviously we can't have a sunny beachside vacation if the sun is destroyed, tweet."
Callie
 NPC, 290 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Fri 13 Feb 2015
at 09:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido drops a generous tip and grabs up the food hastily while heading for the door with Kitau. Dido says, "I doubt Mittens is serious about her hunch, Kitau, but all the same, I'll help you prepare the wagon..."

Callie gazes at Kitau, looking hesitant before getting what food she can also and giving Rendil a quick hug. "Hate to hug and go, but duty calls."

She looks up at Mittens on her way out and says, "Travel can take time, ya know. That will have to do as our vacation. But did you have to make Kitau so tense just when she was learning to relax?"
Mittens
 GM, 1307 posts
Sun 15 Feb 2015
at 01:40
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Thanks!" Rendil says with a smile and blush, "Come back and visit!"

Kitau opens the door for Dido and the others and gives him a nod.  Mits follows the group, rubbing behind her head with a sheepish grin.

"My hunch is based off years of reading hundreds of novels and history books.  A pyramid is usually crammed full of mummies that usually don't pose a threat to the world until some foolish researcher reads the releasing incantation out loud.  I only figured vampire lord because luring folks with dreams is more their schtick.  But why target wizards specifically unless you have some huge ritual in mind that requires lots of slave wizards to perform?  And such rituals are never for anything less than making the world a better place for monsters to dwell.  So...  maybe more of an educated guess than a mere hunch."

Kitau head-tilts at Callie and shrugs.
Terdisas
 GM, 732 posts
Sun 15 Feb 2015
at 07:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
 "Oh, well then as long as we are going by what is most annoying, I expect that demon we have blown up several times to make an appearance."

  "Tweet, one does not normally associate recurring villains with 'Oh, that guy I blew up'"
Callie
 NPC, 291 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 15 Feb 2015
at 08:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie asks, "So how accurate are the novels you spent all those years reading?"

Dido says, "Probably hilariously accurate, considering we literally stopped a wannabe god from entering our plane and causing the zombie apocalypse."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:38, Sun 15 Feb 2015.

Mittens
 GM, 1310 posts
Wed 18 Feb 2015
at 03:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau smirks at Terdisas, pulls out an old belt, and shows it to him.  Dozens of notches have been cut into it, to the point where its doubtful the belt is even usable anymore.  Mits clears her throat, and with an academic air, quotes what the books say about the recurring villain.

"'Barlgura are driven by a savage bloodlust that can be slaked only in combat, where they can tear apart their foes with bare claws.  Favored by the demon prince
Demogorgon, who enjoys their primitive, bestial savagery, their presence in the world is often a sign of a hidden cult.'

"To think that a demon known to be capable of single-handedly slaughtering an entire town watch and inhabitants in one night has become for us merely 'annoying.'  I'll have to remember to point this out the next time someone doubts how powerful we are.

"But that ties into my answer about the books.  Some are clearly fiction, others clearly historical records.  Most, however, fall somewhere in between where they might be embellished history or realistic fiction.  Scholarly experts debate over which is which.  What usually distinguishes those works deemed most likely historically accurate is a dry writing style that can make even the epic struggle between the gods and primordials sound dull.

"So it's the exciting, more fictional seeming works that more accurately reflect the reality we've been living.  But then, that's because we are the heroes of this story.  Give my notes to an academic and he'll likely reject it as a work of fantasy until half a dozen other books back what I wrote.

"In short, very.  But good luck getting folks to believe that."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:56, Wed 18 Feb 2015.

Terdisas
 GM, 733 posts
Thu 19 Feb 2015
at 08:26
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I never really got the point of that phrase, far to self destructive upon the wardrobe.  Maybe somebody with no count to speak of was really proud of his three notches?"  Silly Ter, that's Kitau's 19 trillionth belt.

  "Most wildlife is capable of killing an entire town, a Demon will just find it entertaining as they do so."  Look, just because you only pay attention to the kind of animals that are monster manual entries doesn't mean there is a shortage of squirrels and chipmunks.
Dido
 NPC, 188 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Fri 20 Feb 2015
at 20:06
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido looks at Terdisas weird. "Most wildlife is capable of destroying an entire town? Maybe if you mean most wildlife ganging up together. I haven't even heard of a stampede destroying a town."

Callie says, "He's not being literal, Dido. If he were, there would be no towns." she then looks up at Mittens. "To be fair, I wouldn't believe people telling me they stopped a demigod from beginning a zombie apocalypse. But it does still seem unfair for someone to save the world and then nobody believes or cares after all that effort."
Kitau
 Player, 59 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2015
at 04:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau seems to be giving Ter's comment about demons some serious thought.

"Important difference,"
she concludes.

Mits also considers it.  "The wildlife I've encountered that can destroy a town includes a young ice dragon and...  Huh.  Maybe that tentacle thing might count.  But probably counts more as an aberration.  On second thought, I suppose any old critter can tip over a lantern that sets a town ablaze.

"Yes.  Important difference."


To Callie she answers, "I intend to ensure that folks do believe and do care.  Long after we pass to the next life, I want mommies singing to their daughters 'The Lullaby of Saint Callie, who, with sword and faith, healed the hurting and repelled the zombie god.  'And the best part is, is that this is a true story!  To this day, she smiles down at us from heaven.'  'I wunna grow up to be just like her, mommy!'  'You make me so proud, sweetheart!'"

Pyrus pretends to suck his thumb and gives Callie the Bambie Eyes look.
Terdisas
 GM, 734 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2015
at 21:10
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Well, the demon brought up was a Balugra as all that is needed to destroy a town.  I suppose we have been fortunate in not meeting the sort of wildlife on par with that quite so often."

  "Tweet, Purple Wyrms, dire Bears, OWLbears, bugs that spit lightning, bugs that wear people's skin"  "I think that last one is a Lamia, so probably doesn't count."  "Oh but the bear with a bird for a face does, huh? chirp."

  Look, if towns had to roll for random encounters they'd be pretty doomed.  Cats and lizards pillaging together, angry elk in the streets, mass hysteria.

  "Well, hopefully if I am not merely forgotten, at least something favorable is thought of me after the fact."
Dido
 NPC, 189 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 11 Mar 2015
at 05:56
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie can't help but snatch the dragon and coddle him!

Dido continues Callie's concern, however. He gives Mittens a "yeah right" smile and asks, "How do you intend to cause people to believe the unbelievable? Maybe Callie and I can take notes and use your methods to convert unbelievers into faithful for Sehanine, Moradin and the Platinum Dragon."
Mittens
 GM, 1338 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 02:34
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Pyrus playfully breathes sparkles.

"Purple worms likely could crush entire cities.  But fear not!  I'm sure in time you will have opportunity to trounce their like!  then the city will name itself after the amazing sorcerer and his familiar who saved them - 'Super Terdicity!"

Kitau chuckles and smirks at Terdisas.

Mits smiles at Dido and answers, "Through trickery!  I intend to 'pretend' to be an eye witness of your exploits.  Or perhaps Snettim the Merciless, decrying those 'meddlesome heroes who always seem to get to the loot and glory before me!'  Or a book critic who rants about 'that terrible book authored by Mittens' and how 'it should be banned!'  Stuff like that."
Terdisas
 GM, 735 posts
Sat 14 Mar 2015
at 04:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Honestly, I would prefer a city to still be standing than have one named after me."

  "Chirp, Hidbehindtheshortonesopolis while more accurate, isn't as catchy anyways."
Callie
 NPC, 292 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 03:47
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido looks doubtful. "Clever ideas, Mittens. But I don't think there's a thing in the world that would convince people that heroes like you all exist."

Callie says, "Don't exclude yourself, Dido. You're as unbelievably heroic as any of us."

Callie then looks from Pyrus to Terdisas and says, "A city has to be standing to be named after you, you know... Unless you're a villain or something and a destroyed city becomes named after you destroying it. But I know what you mean..."

She looks up at Mittens. "Trickery, eh? I'll pray that Sehanine bless your efforts, then." She glances at Dido and winks. "Where the impossible stands in the way, the gods walk on before us to clear the way."
Mittens
 GM, 1339 posts
Wed 18 Mar 2015
at 02:21
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits smiles and nods at Callie.  "Thanks!"

To Dido, she thumbs at Callie.  "Ditto to what Callie said.  Before I met you, I was convinced that heroes such as yourself existed at some point in history, but I had my doubts that I would ever meet one, much less team up with several!  Yet somehow, that seems to always happen in the books.  Go fig!"

Kitau thumbs-ups at Dido.
Terdisas
 GM, 736 posts
Wed 18 Mar 2015
at 04:37
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Let's see, looking in a mirror should have covered it then Dido.  What am I missing?"

  "Chirp, they're GIRLS, he's not, duh.  You are also more girly than Mittens, even with the beard, tweet.  My logic is flawless!"
Dido
 NPC, 190 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Wed 18 Mar 2015
at 05:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido coughs into his fist. "Sorry, Superbird, but Terdisas is *not* girlier than Mittens."

Callie giggles. "What a team... I wonder if adventuring groups are as odd as us." Oh Callie, you have NO idea...

Once the wagon is set up, Callie and Dido are sure to wave goodbye at the people.
Mittens
 GM, 1340 posts
Sun 22 Mar 2015
at 02:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau shrugs at Callie's question.  Mits rubs her chin, giving Superbird's logic serious thought.

"Statement: Mittens does not take offense to being accused of being less 'girly' than another person when the accepted definition of the term is being used.  Furthermore, Mittens agrees that certain visual features, such as beards, reduce one's girlishness score.  Let's see....  I get 5 points for being a woman.  No bonus or penalty for age.  No size modifier.  -2 penalty for belonging to a monstrous race.  +1 for happy-go-lucky attitude.  Nerd penalty.  Staff of destruction penalty.  Fire wizard penalty.  Adorable familiar bonus.  Childish antics bonus.  Wow...  I might break even!

"Now for Terdisas...  Zero girl points for being a man.  Beard penalty.  Deadpan penalty.  Explode monster with magic penalty...  Numbers numbers numbers...  Nope!  Sorry.  Terdisas' girlishness score is sub-zero.  Lil ice magic joke there."

Terdisas
 GM, 737 posts
Sun 22 Mar 2015
at 02:30
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Superbird considers bringing up how many beards worth of hair Mittens has, but decides against it by borrowing Ter's CHA modifier for once "Chirp, Bossman's quirks aside, I don't get calling cute kittys 'monstrous'."

  "Some people are nervous around claws and teeth, even when attached to those polite enough not to remove your face with them."
Callie
 NPC, 293 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sun 22 Mar 2015
at 04:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie "claws" at the air. "Rahr!" Then points at her teeth. "I have teeth too! See?"

Dido says, "Nice logic, Mittens." then again, she's the only one with an int mod in this group. No really... the others have int mods of 0. "And nice joke."
Mittens
 GM, 1341 posts
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 02:46
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau smiles and thumbs-ups in agreement.

As if to further prove just how adorable Callie is being, Pyrus copies her antics.

"Rawr!"

Mits blushes and smiles.  "Thanks, everyone!  I sure am lucky to have such accepting and supportive friends."

Time skip!

Regardless of circumstance, the characters are travel-
ing through the Winterbole Forest, on the northern edge
of Nentir Vale (see the map on page 206 of the Dungeon
Master’s Guide). They might be looking for something
specific (see the “Adventure Hooks” on page 4) or they
might simply be traveling from one location to another.
The adventure begins when they reach this clearing in
the forest.
No tactical map is provided for this encounter. The
enemies begin hidden in the trees around the clearing,
watching and waiting to see what the adventurers do.
When the adventurers reach the clearing, read:

The dense forest suddenly parts to reveal a large clearing, per-
haps 50 feet across, with a small tumble of rocks at the center.
Something about the clearing doesn’t feel right. It’s as though
the sounds of the forest refuse to enter the clearing, and the air
around you feels strange and tingling.

Perception Check
DC 21: You spot something moving among the trees just
beyond the clearing.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:21, Wed 25 Mar 2015.

Terdisas
 GM, 738 posts
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 03:59
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
   Terdisas might not make it anywhere near that perc check, but he still knows what the flavor text says about tingly silence.  "Well, that is ominous."  "Chirp, Ominous is a portal to the shadowfell trying to drag you into it.  This rates caution worthy at best."
Dido
 NPC, 191 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 26 Mar 2015
at 02:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says in a hushed tone, "I see something moving in the trees... just past the clearing."

Callie looks to see what it might be.


Callie rolled a nat 1 on spot.
Dido rolled a 17. his perc is +4, so he JUST got that DC 21. XD

Corvus
 Player, 1 post
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 05:50
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
As he steps into a clearing a tall figure of a man peers over the 5 figures that stand before him. Gripping his staff tightly he readies himself for anything as he waits to see if he has come across another bandit group that needs disposed of.

"......"
Mittens
 GM, 1909 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 05:57
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau is just as talkative as the newcomer.  "...."  Judging by the little axes in the tiny gnome's hands and her serious frown, she imagines herself ready for a fight.

Mits blinks in surprise.  "Ok so...?  This is awkward.  Aren't you supposed to attack us and holler something about sacraficing us to your dark god?  Or at least try and befriend us so you can betray us later?  What's with the silent treatment?"

Her happy little dragon familiar starts fluttering over to him all smiles and cuteness.

"Don't do anything rash, Pyrus."

Mits' familiar: http://orig00.deviantart.net/f...beasties-d6nvk5w.jpg
Terdisas
 GM, 748 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 06:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I was joking about the hole to the shadowfell-I mean Chirp tweet." the completely normal we swear Sparrow on the bearded man's shoulder wasn't just talking we swear.

  "Well, perhaps they just prefer the fashion?"
Callie
 NPC, 294 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 06:20
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie brings her bastard sword around to her side and leans on it. She isn't in any kind of battle stance, but her actions make the statement that she wields this big blade and is quite ready to use it, yet is not quick to judge. "I am Callie. This is Mittens, Kitau, Terdisas, Superbird, and Dido. We are adventurers on a quest to right wrongs. And as you probably gathered, the cute dragon is Pyrus."

Dido says, "I am a paladin of Moradin and the Platinum Dragon." to emphasise his statement, he brings his shield to the front so Corvus can see the Moradin symbol. "I mention this so that you know where we stand."
Corvus
 Player, 2 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 06:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The large man steps forward completely into the clearing,"I am Corvus, I mean you no harm so long as you mean the same."

The big man looks to Dido, "I have little love for gods and bow to none, but I respect you and your right be follow whom you wish. I have little need for the favor of gods I have my own power and need not rely on any other to bless me with theirs."

As for you he looks to Mits "If you wish to be a sacrifice to a dark god the I can send you in the right direction, but I refuse to bow to even those fools."
Mittens
 GM, 1910 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 06:36
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"Lacking in the diplomacy department," Mits concludes, "But also lacking in the 'attack heroes on sight like a loonie' department."

Pyrus likes Corvus's hair.  He wants to find out how it feels.  So the little dragon flaps over the tiefling's head to light on his head.  Not that it would be hard to avoid the little familiar.
Terdisas
 GM, 749 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 06:41
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "God Apathy is surprisingly common, even when traveling with Paladins and Clerics you are fond of.  Still, turning down blessings is going a bit far in this business."  Callie has been quite the wonderful sales pitch for Sehanine, though.  Just as Superbird when he's having a more flamboyant moment.
Dido
 NPC, 192 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 06:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido asks, "What do you fight for, Corvus?"

Callie was going to say something, but Dido's question has her hold that thought and wait to see how Corvus answers.
Corvus
 Player, 3 posts
 icecreem
 1 word
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 06:58
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Corvus perceiving no threat from the party stands down and looks to Dido.

"I fight to survive, and to learn." Corvus holds out his hand and twists dark shadows in his hand and a dark figure spins out of the mist to stand beside him. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini...2f5b9bf568129432.jpg

"I have always had a strong connection to the darkness and the void. I travel to test myself and to further my own power so that one day I may stand on top and face on equal terms those gods whom the world fear and worship, and so that they shall know that even if they think themselves unreachable, should they decide to strike out against the mortal world at least one being has the power to tear them from their safe heaven in the heavens and strike down those that would wish us banished from this world so they can make it anew."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:00, Sat 09 Apr 2016.

Mittens
 GM, 1911 posts
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 16:22
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits smiles and tail-wags at the arrival of the wolf.

"Ooh neat!"

She starts counting on her fingers.  "Let's see...  Tiamat?  Check.  Orcus?  Check.  Torog?  Check.  Yeenoghu?  Check.  Vecna?  Check.  So that's at least five deities who's plans and followers we've thwarted thus far.  Could include the racial god of the Minotaurs, the demon lord Baphomet, on that list as well considering that we disenchanted all those ridiculous traps and such.  Can't promise you survival in this group, though our two holy halflings help a great deal there and we've yet to have a team mate die on our watch, but learning how to frustrate evil gods is most certainly a high likelihood."

Kitau gives Mits a "What the heck are you doing?" look to Mits.  Pyrus makes himself comfortable on Corvus's hair, rubbing his cheek against it with a cozy smile.  When woofie shows up he waves hello.
Terdisas
 GM, 750 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 01:55
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Tweet, does the term 'Wheel of Everflow' sound familiar?"

  Terdisas sighs, "Please do not give them further ideas, I find the passive gods preferable to the actively antagonistic ones."  He does not to Mittens's overview, however.  "Making lives unfortunate for cultists is quite common in this business, regardless of your religious views."
Callie
 NPC, 295 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 02:49
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido nods to Superbird. "Yes, I'm familiar with that..."

Dido says, "Quick history lesson for you then, Corvus; it has already been done. At least twice. There was The Raven Queen, who was once a mortal, yet defeated Nerull. There was also Bane, who was also once mortal, yet defeated Tuern."

Callie says, "So it's doable. But two mortals in all of recorded history. You won't be the first, but two out of who-knows-how-many-thousands ever managed. And in the case of the Raven Queen, it was only after being enslaved to Narull for centuries. Just so you know what you are getting into; yours is a quest that could land you at the whims of a god 24/7 for the next thousand years."
Corvus
 Player, 4 posts
 icecreem
 1 word
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 04:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Corvus laughs ate the mention of the parties achievements.

"Well if you are thwarting gods then maybe we can be fast friends."
Pulling a small chunk of bread out of his pocket he offers it to the new friend on his head.

He looks to Dido & Callie as he does so. "Then it may be time to simply rid the world of these gods altogether, or limit their interference. No one being deserves to control the fates of another, not even the gods. Though I would never come to force my way on another I believe we should put less faith and time into hoping another will save us and forge our future for us. I say mortals need to more faith in their own power to forge their own future and that reliance on themselves over that of reliance over a fickle god who has no true care of what becomes of them."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:49, Mon 11 Apr 2016.

Mittens
 GM, 1917 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 05:07
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits giggles.  "Anyone else getting the 'familiar' puns?"

Nom!  Pyrus prefers toast, so he breaths fire on the bread a bit before munching.  With nothing to give in return handy, the little dragon flies over to Mits, takes some coin, and flies over to hand it to Corvus.  Mits just chuckles.  (( OOC: Technically, my familiar cannot do any of this stuff mechanically. ))

She looks to Corvus and says, "Plot twist!  Corvus achieves his goal and discovers that he himself has become the very thing he strove to stop: a being that controlled the fate of the world!  In desperation, he shatters himself into a zillion pieces to prevent himself from becoming a tyrant!  But then ambitious mortals rise to replace the defeated pantheon, and all his work is undone!  Reminds me of a song.

♫ "Ensuing power vacuum,
A toppled leader dies.
His body fuels the power fire,
And the flames rise to the skies." ♫

Terdisas
 GM, 751 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 05:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Every day of my life, chirp."  Superbird isn't jealous of how cute Pyrus can be, that would be crazy.

  "Unfortunately, even if such a thing were a wholly desirable result, evil cultsists and demons get along just fine without their gods compared to those trying to heal stab wounds on a battlefield."

  The Sorcerer does have more faith in his friends than the dieties they follow, though.  But making fun of Sehanine's dislike of crossbows is quite different compared wanting to punch her for hanging out on the moon all the time.
Dido
 NPC, 193 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 05:31
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido was beginning to look annoyed at what Corvus said, but Mittens' commentary kinda lightens his mood a little. "I'm sure there are a lot of people who use faith as a crutch, Corvus. But I'm not one of them. And frankly, the gods did not give me the martial training or ability to kick in a steel gate. That's all me. Perhaps one way to help you understand where Callie and I come from: Everyone needs faith in something. For you, it's faith in yourself and fellow mortals. There are a number of worshipers who would consider me blasphemous for saying this, but the reason I follow Moradin and the Platinum Dragon is not because they are gods, but because those two follow the same beliefs I do. Kind of like role models."

Callie nods. "For many mortals, they have faith in their mom or dad. For me, a priestess of Sehanine was my mother when my real mother wasn't around. In my lonelier moments, Sehanine herself was the only one around. Everyone needs someone to lean on, be it a friend, a relative, or a god. Those who refuse to acknowledge this basic fact of the heart are both self-deceiving... and quite alone."
Corvus
 Player, 5 posts
 icecreem
 1 word
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 05:52
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Corvus bows his head slightly, "Forgive if I have offended you young ones, I do not mean to tarnish your beliefs and I can agree on the fact people need something to believe in."

He thinks to himself for a moment, "It seems I have not worded myself well. I am still not good at conversing in this language, I mostly converse with Luna in  Abyssal and she has been my only companion for some time. I have met many that follow gods and put their faith in them and some have like you kept their pride their own fire that makes them who they are and drives them. Sadly that has not been the case for most whom I have seen. Many come to rely on those who call themselves gods and forever lose themselves to the Idea that they have no control over their own future."

His face hardens, "I myself was raised as a son of a human blacksmith, we were happy in our home until those who followed a god that called my kind blasphemous and a curse on the world stripped me of my home and my parents who raised me all in blind faith of some god." He takes a long breath and calms himself a bit. "Those who blindly follow, trust unconditionally, rely on on how to make every decision, and look to for every answer from some god who makes decisions on what they think might be interesting. Those are the people who need freeing from the gods control."

"That being said, I do not resent all gods, some maintain the reasonable balance that allows for their people to worship and follow them, but do not teach or interfere with the development of the mortals that follow. They simply provide the guidance to live on as as themselves to mortals that need that boost, that push that makes them want to keep going.Those gods that instead of forging the persons future for them, show their followers how to forge their own future have even my respect."
Mittens
 GM, 1919 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 06:05
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mittens has a great reply!  https://queerfemmetalk.files.w...trick_jaws_drops.png

...not.

"...Sorry for your loss."

Pyrus slides down to Corvus's shoulder to hug his neck and pat him comfortingly.
Terdisas
 GM, 752 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 06:12
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Yes, Terdisas's family still exists so as he figured, his life problems are somewhat pedestrian.  So far as having to skip town to avoid annoying the magical secret police is normal.

  Though it does also highlight part of why he's been so paranoid even to people he's known for several levels until recently.

  "Cultists are never something that ends well for those involved, no matter the names they go by."  Terdisas doubts it will be any comfort that the Gods those people claimed to follow won't allow them into the good afterlife funhouse, seeing how that is later, and dead family is more immediate a concern.
Callie
 NPC, 296 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 06:27
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Pyrus shares Callie's sentiment. Callie is carefully watching the man and says, "Sorry, Corvus." and walks over to him before opening her arms to him. "I do not mean to sound sappy, but if you travel with us, you will find love, acceptance, and a couple religious folk who will lay the smack-down on the types who hunt you down just for how you were born."

Dido nods and adds, "I think we already established he's coming with us. Corvus, if you need anything, let us know. But for now, know you are now in the company of heroes."

He's not about to add that another wonderful advantage to ascending to godhood is being able to find your dead loved ones.

And don't worry, Terdisas. Dido has a happier life than you ...wait.
Corvus
 Player, 6 posts
 icecreem
 1 word
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 06:35
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
When Callie walks up to Corvus the big Shadow Wolf that had been sitting patiently to the side walks toward her and examines her. "Calm yourself Luna they are friends."

Corvus reaches to pat Callie on the head and smiles as best he knows how. "Well it seems for now at least my days will be filled with more noise, and my father would turn in his grave if I turned down an offer of friendship from kind fellows such as yourself." He looks to Callie.
"Especially an adorable one such as yourself."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:36, Mon 11 Apr 2016.

Mittens
 GM, 1920 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 06:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Pyrus agrees that Callie is adorable.  So he flies over to her shoulder to lick her cheek knowing full well the cute reaction he'll likely get.

Mittens suddenly has a Mittens puppet on her left hand and a Corvus puppet on her right hand.

Mittens puppet says, "Oh!  A devilish person!  You look awesome and stuff!  Come join our adventure!"

Corvus puppet answers, "Very well."

Mittens puppet explains, "We're investigating the mysterious dreams I've been having about a Pyramid of Power.  Our investigation led us here to this suspicious clearing."

"Well no wonder you were wary when I showed up."

"Precisely!  Now.  It's time to get to the bottom of this weird feeling we got when we arrived at this place."

Mits begins to search the area.

As you look around, a figure appears near the center of the clearing—a ghost, perhaps, an insubstantial vision of a male tiefling
draped in robes. “Greetings, travelers,” the image says. “What do
you seek in the Pyramid of Shadows?”


Mittens puppet gawks.  "Hi!  I'm Mittens!  Who are you?"

“We are the protector of the forest ruins, a place sacred to Melora
in the distant past,” says the image. “What brings you to this
forlorn place?”

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:03, Mon 11 Apr 2016.

Terdisas
 GM, 753 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 07:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I suppose a safe passage through said pyramid would be nice, if likely not within it's capabilities."  You don't get called the Pyramid of Shadows from a reputation of constant toe stubbing in poor lighting.
Callie
 NPC, 297 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 01:39
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The intended effect Pyrus was going for happens: Callie shrugs the shoulder Pyrus is on, squinting the eye on the side of the face that got licked while giggling and smiling. She reaches up to snatch the dragon and cradle it in her arms.

Callie looks up at Corvus as he pats her head and mentions her adorable nature. A blush crosses her cheeks and she says, "Uh... thanks, Corvus."

To be fair, when Callie and Dido find out Corvus thought them children, they won't exactly be able to say child adventurers are unheard of; they adventured with one before, after all. Callie and Dido will probably always think of Rolen and worry for him from time to time for years to come. He was a cute kid.

When yet another tiefling shows up, Callie begins to wonder if this is a tiefling convention. She gives a polite bow and says, "Hello, Protector. Blessings. I am Callie. This is Kitau, Dido, Terdisas, Superbird, Corvus, and you now know Mittens. We come here to investigate why Mittens has had visions of this place."

Dido gives a fist-to-chest salute and says, "Greetings." He isn't quite as loose with blessings as Callie is. Though he suspects there is little he can do to bless this poor apparition.
Narrator
 player, 858 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 01:44
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Visual for the illusary Tiefling: http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/...131189/Karavakos.jpg
Corvus
 Player, 7 posts
 icecreem
 1 word
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 03:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Corvus steps to stand beside Callie's left while Luna takes her right eyes low and focused on her surroundings. "You are quick to trust young one, but it is not wise to trust immediately everyone or thing you meet. And yes that includes me."

He looks to the ghostly figure. "By what bonds are you held to this plane my brother? No soul should be left to wander. Though I can offer little help in passing you over I may be able to put your mind at ease so you may pass on your own."
Mittens
 GM, 1923 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 03:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
“Enter the pyramid and all will be revealed.”

The image points then fades away.

At the center of the clearing, amid a small tumble
of worn stones, they see a small, glowing pyramid. The
object, about a foot on each side, is covered with unknown
markings. (Arcana DC 28 to recognize that the markings
are Supernal.)

Mits sweatdrops and stares. "Well at least it was less annoying than the Vecna image thing."
Terdisas
 GM, 754 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 03:29
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Going to take that as a 'no' for safe passage guarantee, then.  Unfortunately, a lack of anything better to do is the second highest leading cause of doing potentially dangerous things anyways."

  "So clerly as we know better, we won't be doing that-wow I can't keep a straight beak saging that, tweet."

  At least it's not the spooky runes or the lava runes.
Dido
 NPC, 194 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 03:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "Yeah. This image at least was cordial. But I'm guessing it was merely an image and not a full-on ghost."

Callie says, "Do not mistake my desire to believe in people, or being comfortable with someone not attacking me for ease of trust, Corvus. As an adventurer, I have found I will take what I can get as a reprieve from constant strife."

Dido puts his hands on his knees to look the pyramid over. "...are we supposed to shrink? Or is this supposed to grow?"
Corvus
 Player, 8 posts
 icecreem
 1 word
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 03:48
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Corvus walks over and examines the markings, "Hm I have not come across such runes in my travels, If I had time to study them I might could come up with something but at a quick glance they seem foreign to me. If we are not strained for time i can refer to some parchments I have on me and try and decipher them."

(Corvus offering to take a 20 to try and read the symbols up to DM & party if he can if he can.)
Mittens
 GM, 1925 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 04:00
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Mits hrms.  "Considering the thematic stuff we've encountered, I'm guessing that this mini pyramid is a gateway to the Pyramid which itself is located in the Shadowfell.  As for us entering in spite of it being dangerous, that is kindofa given.  'Cause if not us, then some nasty gnoll will claim the wealth of power within.  If you can't figure out the writings, we can always just poke it with a stick."

Very wizardly of you, Mittens.

Corvus is able to determine that the runes are Supernal, the language of angels and devils.  But the meaning is indecipherable.

(( Because the module doesn't even tell the DM what it says.  Maybe it says, "Speak, friend. And enter." or something. ))
Kyle
 player, 1333 posts
 Crossbow of SCIENCE...
 Or MAGIC? I always forget
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 04:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "Well, knowing overly elaborate structure builders this may very well simply be the tip of a normal sized pyramid buried under the ground.  But teleportation or portals seem much more likely, because they just pop up constantly."
Callie
 NPC, 298 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 04:09
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "He made it sound so easy. So I guess it's a simple matter of touching the thing and thinking about entering." He proceeds to do so.

Callie looks hesitant to let him, but at the same time, doesn't really see much other way to try and enter. Should Dido's attempt be successful, Callie will immediately follow.
Narrator
 player, 860 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 04:10
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
If the characters pick up or touch the pyramid, the
object consumes them.
Corvus
 Player, 9 posts
 icecreem
 1 word
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 04:15
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Corvus laughs, "Well this is interesting, never seen transportation magic like this, Luna return to me." Luna turns to mist and returns to Corvus laying herself on his skin like a tattoo.
Corvus walks over an follows the two ahead of him laughing as he enters.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:15, Tue 12 Apr 2016.

Terdisas
 GM, 755 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 04:16
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas sighs, but he's a CHA/DEX build, not an INT/WIS build, so follows after into the questionable artifact.
Narrator
 player, 861 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 04:32
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The small pyramid suddenly expands. You can’t tell if you’re
shrinking or it’s growing, but it fills your view and
you’re immersed in darkness. The voice of the tiefling comes to you
one last time. “Welcome to the Pyramid of Shadows. The only way
to win your freedom is to kill us—three times.” His mocking laughter taunts you, fading away as light returns and a tremendous
stench assails you, suggesting that you’ve left the forest behind.


The characters are now in the Entrance Pit of the Pyramid
of Shadows. They have been transported into the extradimensional space that exists outside space or time.

A stench of death and blood assails you as you appear suddenly
atop a pile of bodies. Humans, dwarves, elves, halflings, and
others, all apparently recently killed but all wearing clothing
and armor of an earlier age. The pile of bodies seems to shift, as
though something might be moving beneath it. Above you, at the
top of the pit, you see a hideous, two-headed giant—he’s rubbing
two blades together with an eager gleam in the eyes of both its
horrifying heads.


Perception Check
DC 16: You see a flash of something large and green moving
through the refuse beneath your feet. It might be a giant snake or
worm.


Callie still has Pyrus in her arms, but Mittens is nowhere to be seen.

http://i.imgur.com/C0SQQD1.jpg
Callie
 NPC, 299 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 05:28
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido says, "So much for cordial. Remind me to give him three extra punches to the nose."

Callie looks at the bodies and gets upset. "Not very funny, so-called protector. Anyone seen Mittens?" She looks at Pyrus. "Where is she, Pyrus?"

Dido says, "Guys, heads up. Got monsters beneath and above us."
Kyle
 player, 1345 posts
 Crossbow of SCIENCE...
 Or MAGIC? I always forget
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 06:42
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  "I wish I had any idea where Mittens was.  Normally I would assume she had to be within 100 feet of us.  However as that would be convenient, clearly the usual rules do not apply."

  At the moment, the most the sorcerer can do is inconvenience the... He forgets.  Two headed double jerk.  An arc of lightning sends it falling over, if only lightly singed.

  That dealt with, he tosses a rope and graple out of the pit so people with poor upper body strength can get out... Oh that's just him then, well at least it's still easier for the rest now.

  OOC: Standard: Pinning bolt. hits Gurrack.  Knocked prone, and Slowed until the end of MY next turn. 19 DMG.

Gurrack HP: 222-19= 203

Kitau
 Player, 64 posts
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 07:03
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Kitau was already on edge from meeting Corvus and her friends so easily trusting the half-devil.  Then on top of that, shrugging off the untrustworthiness of the Tiefling image.  On top of that, being laughed at by the jerk.  And Mittens is missing.  AND landed in a pile of corpses.  AND Dido is attacked!  To say that Kitau is berserker raging furious screaming bloody murder is an understatement.

In a flurry of blades and gore, she carves up the carrion cralwer that attacked Dido, bringing it to within an inch of dead faster than it can shriek in pain!

This message was last edited by the player at 07:08, Thu 14 Apr 2016.

Corvus
 Player, 11 posts
 icecreem
 1 word
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 07:04
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
"The Voices whisper of the cold between stars, between lives.  You smile, and the spell that surges
out against your enemy bites with teeth of glaciers down into boiling blood"

Corvus chants an ire sounding spell in Abyssal, and a large wave of magic slams against the beast. "You will fall before us foul creature."

And with that, the monster is dead!
Gurrak
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 07:19
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
The ettin roars!  It stands up and turns to face Terdisas.

"Gurrak no care about that one's head!  Make thing go away!"

With a swipe of it's massive cleaver, Terdisas is sent tumbling back against the wall of the pit.  Gurrak then turns his attention to Callie.

"This one's head is just what Gurrak missing!  Just what Gurrak need to complete collection!"

It takes a swing at Callie, but her armor protects her from any serious harm.
Dido
 NPC, 195 posts
 With a hammer I serve
 The Heavy Metal Dragon
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 07:38
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Dido swings his hammer down and causes a "squish" sound on the crawler below the team. But the hammer glows with radiance and both the crawler and Gurrak are pierced by rays of light. "Ug. Stupid... crawler... poison... unf!"


Dido resists 5 poison and thus, does not take 5 poison dmg
Standard: Valorous Smite v Crawler 1. Hit(23)!
 dmg: 11
Save throw: 14 success

Crawler 1 and Gurrak are divinely sanctioned.


Crawler 1 HP: 81 - 11 = 70

This message was last edited by the player at 07:40, Thu 14 Apr 2016.

Callie
 NPC, 300 posts
 Cleric of Sehanine
 Lover Halfling
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 07:54
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
Callie steps back and sings,

"In the warm embrace of these words,
Let my love for you endure.
For since the grace eternal heard,
The truth of love is sure."


The group feels a little tougher and Gurrak feels disgusted by the love song.


Hymn of Resurgence v Crawler 1 and Gurrak. Miss(13) Hit(26)!
 -2 to all Gurrak's defenses
 Effect: Allies all gain 5 temporary hit points.

Terdisas
 GM, 756 posts
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 08:13
Re: Thunderspire Laberynth (part 2)
  Terdisas is highly tempted to attack the Ettin again, but there are much more practical targets to deal with at