Scales of War: Beyond the Mottled Tower.   Posted by May.Group: 0
Kyle
 player, 1038 posts
 Crossbow of SCIENCE...
 Or MAGIC? I always forget
Sat 2 Jan 2016
at 07:42
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
  "Plus we would want some time to see if we can talk some sense into Uarion, or at least determine if it's permanent or load bearing mind control.  I wish I had looked up that ritual before, but even with how well it works we wouldn't normally have the time to spare anyways."

  But when even the 4th Ed module is expecting you to take a long rest mid dungeon instead of fighting literally everything in one go, you're probably gonna want to.
Mittens
 GM, 1618 posts
Sat 2 Jan 2016
at 08:05
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
Mits poofs a Baranor the Black puppet and recounts, "'"Load-bearing Losers" we called 'em.  No sense of proper architecture!  Kept their lairs of evil standing through the power of their relic's magic or whatever else.  Sure 'nuff you pull that card and the whole house o cards starts collapsin' on yer head.  Y'd think they'd have sense enough to figure, "S'pose one of my minions gets miffed and yoinks me relic while I'm off on business?  Or maybe my magic item dislikes my way o doin' things and shuts itself off?  Or it runs outta magical fuel.  I should make a proper lair just in case."  Nope!  They just slap together some slipshod excuse fer a lair and move on to "more urgent matters" like provokin' the entire region...'

"No way we can drag those apparatuses up here.  I'm still wondering how the giants get in and out.  I don't see any ladders.  Maybe we should take a break to search the outside of this iceberg for another exit so that when it does start to collapse, we won't be stuck running all the way back downstairs for our rides."


She takes note of Timothius' coin purse and smiles.  "That's neat!  I bet it'd freak out Mom and Dad."

Mits then poofs a properly sized umber hulk mask and offers it to May.

Assuming the PCs render Uarion unconscious
instead of killing him, they likely have questions for
him. However, until the characters remove the Seed of
Winter from Chillreaverís clutches, Uarion is intractable and can be viewed only as a threat. This might
pose a problem for the PCs, since they have to decide
what to do with the githzerai. They might decide to
leave him here, take him to their submersibles (if they
have space for him), or carry him along while they
continue exploring.
Timothius
 GM, 651 posts
Sat 2 Jan 2016
at 08:10
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
May opts for "carry him with" and says, "I wonder... since the place we will be going to rest is a pocket dimension, will it break the seed's hold on Uarion?"

Module: "Wait what? No... I mean..."

Raichel shrugs. "Let's explore and find out how soon we need to rest."

Timothius glances over at Mittens. "...I miss mom and dad. We should give them a visit next time we catch a break. I'd pay for the components necessary for teleporting and such..."
Kyle
 player, 1039 posts
 Crossbow of SCIENCE...
 Or MAGIC? I always forget
Sat 2 Jan 2016
at 08:16
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
   Kyle assumed as much, but that's artifacts for yah.  Pesky RAW limitations of disenchant item.  Imagine how much residdium an artifact would be worth.

  "You certainly deserve it, a shame the question is 'when we catch a break'.  As for Uarion, the constructs would survive being dunked into the waters and maintain their seal.  So we could stash him in one and even if the place comes down, he should be in control enough to escape."
Mittens
 GM, 1619 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 05:47
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
Mits shrugs.  "I'll be surprised if it doesn't take some ritual that only Uarion knows to remove the mind control.  Oh the dark irony!  Worth a shot, tho."

She thumbs-ups to Rai.  "Scouting sounds good."

Mits considers the visit home.  "Heh.  It'd be fun to brag about our first adventure.  But knowing Mom and Dad, they'd likely be all, 'You're making that up.  You didn't really fight an ancient undead evil on your first outing.'"
Timothius
 GM, 652 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:02
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
Timothius says, "Heh... our first adventure. It does sound unbelievable to the average ear. But by now, we've earned a reputation and important people speak out on our behalf. We even have a deva paladin of the platinum dragon who would tell our parents we are being truthful."

Raichel says, "It sure felt nice to see her stand up for us to some deva council guy... her words had much more clout than ours in that situation."

May says, "Scouting! I'll be back."

While May is gone, Timothius looks at Mittens. "If the seed refuses to let go of Uarion's mind, we'll use the tortures you were suggesting earlier. Perhaps make it part of a puppet show where a beholder puppet eats it and children get to point and laugh. I'm pretty sure creative minds like ours can find a way, ritual or no."


May Stealth: 19
May Perception: 31

Narrator
 player, 651 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:08
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
This massive cavern is far larger than any you have yet
seen in this iceberg complex. A slick, steep-sloping ice bridge
hangs over a fast-moving stream; the streamís banks are
thick with a white mist. To the west, a platform rises up 30
feet from the floor and is connected to the ice bridge. Unlike
in the other caverns, no stalagmites are here. Furs, animal
skins, tools, and large weapons are piled in various places
near the walls.


May also sees:
3 frost giant scouts
2 winter wolves  (large)

The wolves and giants notice May and raise the alarm!

This message was last edited by the player at 06:10, Sun 03 Jan 2016.

Kyle
 player, 1040 posts
 Crossbow of SCIENCE...
 Or MAGIC? I always forget
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:13
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
  "Honestly, most Undead lurking in lairs is 'Ancient' just by default." Not the details that are really in question here, Kyle.
May
 player, 541 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:15
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
May calls back, "Sorry guys! I screwed up and they saw me and raised an alarm! We gotta rush 'em! Three giants! Two wolves!"

Rai and Tim head over towards May.
Mittens
 GM, 1620 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:23
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
"Might actually be better if we let them funnel to us," Mits points out.
Narrator
 player, 652 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:37
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
The wolves rush for the unseen stairs.  Two scouts head up the ramp.  One of them fires an icy arrow at May and misses.

<giant>"There must be more of them around the corner."<giant>
Timothius
 GM, 653 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:39
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
The twin kittens ready themselves.


Thunder Slam readied
Pacify readied

Narrator
 player, 653 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:44
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
<giant>"I'll flank 'em then!"<giant>

The third scout rushes to the edge of the platform and forward-flip jumps into the hole in the floor, tumbles forward, and closes distance.

<giant>"Um...  Must not be very many!  I don't see any others from here!"<giant>
Mittens
 GM, 1621 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:47
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
"Not exactly the location I had in mind to fight them from," Mits says, heading back a bit, "They can get at us from that tunnel this way.  Oh well.  Zap!"

The ninja giant dodges her attack!
Kyle
 player, 1041 posts
 Crossbow of SCIENCE...
 Or MAGIC? I always forget
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 06:57
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
  Kyle just takes a simple shot around the corner at one of the giants, damage is damage and buffs are buffs.
Raichel
 player, 522 posts
 Lightning Reflexes
 50,000 volts worth
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 07:00
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
Raichel throws a punch and the scout who appears feels a fist as big as his torso hit him and hurl him over the edge. The team can hear a loud THUD on the other side of the ledge. Raichel ka-chings, pulling her fist to her hip while lifting her knee. "Yes!"


Thunder Slam v Scout 1. Hit(28)!
 dmg: 36 and tossed over the edge!
 Fall damage: 13


Scout 1 HP: 102 - 36 - 13 = 53

May
 player, 542 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 07:12
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
May pulls out a bow, shoots a giant to mark him, then looks over her shoulder to see Mittens putting herself in "squish me" position and rushes over to be between her and ninja-giant. "Heh. They seem to just be using ranged over there, so I'll protect on this side!"


Maysic Ranged Attack v Scout 3. Hit(33)!
 dmg: 15
Move: To cover Mittens and the only route to us.


Scout 3 HP: 115 - 15 = 100

Narrator
 player, 654 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 07:21
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
The punched giant roars in pain!

<giant>"There's more of them all right!  And they hit hard as hells!"<giant>

Nara isn't quite so ninja like and climbs down the hole sensibly.

<giant>"Yeah I see 'em!"<giant> the ninja giant answers.
Raichel
 player, 523 posts
 Lightning Reflexes
 50,000 volts worth
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 07:27
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
Raichel hurls a lightning bolt at the coming giant and he is barely able to side step. "You know? We probably should have picked up something to understand giants after our last encounter with them. I feel stupid. Guys, fall back and let me take point on this side."


Lightning Strike v Scout 2. Miss(24)

This message was last edited by the player at 07:27, Sun 03 Jan 2016.

Mittens
 GM, 1622 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 07:35
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
The third scout leaps down and blasts the heroes with the familiar Chillshards attack!
Timothius
 GM, 654 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 07:42
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
Timothius is hit, but seems unharmed. Raichel is also hit, but only seems lightly annoyed by the attack. Timothius then gives the giant a Fluttershy glare before retreating as Raichel requested. The giant feels less capable.


Break the Spirit v Scout 3. Hit(32)!
 dmg: 13 radiant
 -5 to attacks


Scout 3 HP: 100 - 13 = 87

Narrator
 player, 655 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 07:50
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
Ninja scout uses chillshards!  It's not very effective.

<giant>"They have some kind of shielding against our magics!"<giant>
Mittens
 GM, 1623 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 07:53
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
Mits sighs.  "There's that annoying chillshards power again.  Positioning won't be much of an option for those of us who can't teleport or turn into lightning now.  Zap."

She fires a beam at both giants she can see, hitting the one to the south.
Kyle
 player, 1042 posts
 Crossbow of SCIENCE...
 Or MAGIC? I always forget
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 08:09
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
  "Keep in mind then I won't be able to help with either side if I don't basically abandon you"  LoS angles to the north, Giant rock and cramped space limitations blocking his LoS to the south.  And The giants able to just hang back and throw things at Riachel where he can't shoot back.

  Then again, it's not fighting a bunch of drakes from the literal starting tiles all fight. So there's been worse.

  He falls back, and takes a shot at the southern Scout.  It's the kind of Damage even Tim would laugh at (no he wouldn't, Kyle) but at least it Buffs up Mittens and May.
May
 player, 543 posts
Sun 3 Jan 2016
at 08:15
Re: Scales of War: The Temple Between pt.2
"Further south, heroes!" May trots over to the scout and whacks him. He barely blocks with his armor, but even then is gonna bruise. "Hi there! I'm May! Do YOU speak common?!"


Minor: Shift 2.
Move: 6 to Scout 2
Weapon Mayster's Strike v Scout 2. Miss(26)