Mission 03: Extraction.   Posted by Siberys.Group: 0
Siberys
 GM, 884 posts
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 04:55
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Mishann (msg # 510):

Not long after the party left, Oargev spoke quietly to Wex, who simply bowed and left. Something about payment and maximum load, whatever that was referring to.

For most part, Oargev seemed pretty busy, scribbling and moving things on the table while sighing and grunting a lot. Sometimes he would get up and just pace a little before sitting down. At regular intervals, the Captain would be interrupted by a messenger or officer entering with some news, which were almost always spoken of in quiet breaths.
Tharo d'Jorasco
 NPC, 4 posts
 Retired Combat Medic
 Scion of House Jorasco
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 05:16
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Dereen (msg # 511):

"Your entire group may be from all over Cyre, Dereen,"
Tharo answers in a kindly voice, "but Jorasco stretches across the Five Nations. Ultimately though, you have the right of it - a life was at stake, and you did what you could. At the heart of it, that is what we of the Mark of Healing are supposed to do."

Seeing Dereen's uncertainly, the elder scion laughs,

"Of course you could! Just look at yourself. Won't be long before you acquire white hairs like mine. Come now, surely Oargev could spare you for a few days to recuperate? Not all the healers are moving out, and goodness knows you could use the rest..."


Dereen:
"Since the last time we talked, I have felt a stronger and stronger connexion with the Host.  It was almost as if my perception of their influence had increased.  And since the trouble with the train, I found out I didn't need a focus anymore, at least for most of my abilities...  Did you ever heard about something like that?"


"That is..." Tharo's voice too, seems uncertain for a moment before abruptly firming up, "actually, yes. Some of the elders of the church have been known to do that...some say its a realization of the doctrine, others call it a blessing from the Host. After all," the healer takes a deep breath, "as is the world, so are the gods. As are the gods, so is the world."
Siberys
 GM, 885 posts
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 05:21
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Hunter (msg # 512):

The Jorasco enclave is a flurry of activity as well. Wagons are being loaded with supplies, mostly crates stacked with medicines and stretchers. Soldiers and messengers rush in and out with worried faces. A small team of halflings appear to be strapping on armor and healing kits emblazoned brightly with a golden griffon - the symbol of the House.

One of the passing medics spots you and waves,

"Hey! You're Dereen's friend aren't ya? We're a bit busy now, but if its something quick I could probably help."

Dot
 player, 1336 posts
 AKA
 HP 26/26, AC 19 f15 t15
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 12:20
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Dot listened intently to Morrimer, wishing he'd hurry through the irrelevant Xen'drik-specifics. Well, he certainly agreed with her supposition of a burial mound, so that seemed confirm. Traps, wards, guardians: she could guess those, but it was good to be reminded. Morrimer guessed an army; if so, then was the Weaver trying to expand his forces? Or was he seeking a certain kind of undead? Or both? 'An army? Do you think a mass grave, or a more formal burial in a tomb?'

'Is there any way of finding out what's buried inside? And where is an entrance typically located? Could there be more than one?'

Mishann
 player, 39 posts
Sat 13 Sep 2014
at 12:20
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Mishann soon grew bored of spying on the human who seemed to be the alpha male of this huge pride and whom the Mistress desired to mate with but didn't like to admit it. The cat strolled out from under the table, then sprang up on top of it, sliding alarmingly on a map. I meant to do that. she meowed. She padded over the surface careful not to trip over anything as that would be undignified and headbutted Oargev in the arm as he sat, marking him with her scent.
Dereen
 player, 581 posts
 peacefull healer hp:32/32
 AC16sv:7/5/9T:9/9A:10/10
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 16:19
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Tharo d'Jorasco:
In reply to Dereen (msg # 511):

"Your entire group may be from all over Cyre, Dereen,"
Tharo answers in a kindly voice, "but Jorasco stretches across the Five Nations. Ultimately though, you have the right of it - a life was at stake, and you did what you could. At the heart of it, that is what we of the Mark of Healing are supposed to do."

"I know..."said Dereen. "I haven't met many people outside Cyre... the two most remarkable were the two clerics from Karnnath .  They made me think you could find a tiny bit of good even there... and even twisted as it was."
he sighed.

Tharo d'Jorasco:
Seeing Dereen's uncertainly, the elder scion laughs,

"Of course you could! Just look at yourself. Won't be long before you acquire white hairs like mine. Come now, surely Oargev could spare you for a few days to recuperate? Not all the healers are moving out, and goodness knows you could use the rest..."


Dereen looked at the ground before answering, knowing the elder would be displeased and not wishing for another 'scolding'.
"Well...  If fact we are also leaving in a couple of hours...  but the travel, at least, won't be tiring" he added, trying to 'sweeten' the fact with a smile and a tiny bit of humor.
"I really would have liked to talk a bit more with you regarding the recent development, but there is work to be done..."

Professor Morrimer
 NPC, 28 posts
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 19:12
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Dot (msg # 519):

"Hmm...hard to say without access to proper historical records, like a library..." answers Morrimer, rubbing his chin, "depends on the size too. Large ones might be dedicated to a general or king, in which case you'd expect an army, or at least an honor guard. Smaller ones might simply be burial spots for a particularly noteworthy or heroic squad. Buried with their weapons and all that."

"As for the entrance...who knows? If there are caretakers, the entrance will be a sacred spot - a temple perhaps. Some tombs are sealed - their entrances would be a large rock or shaped stone, either disguised or etched with warning signs. Having more than one entrance is entirely possible - ancient burial grounds often have a 'builders tunnel' used for excavation, and a proper entrance for the bodies and visitors. As for how to find one...you'd want a ranger, tracker or at least someone familiar with the area I'm afraid."

Prince Oargev
 NPC, 20 posts
 Borderguard Captain
 Prince of Cyre
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 19:27
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Mishann (msg # 520):

The Prince's reaction was almost comical, as he bolted upright and away from the sudden act of a tiny, fuzzy cat attacking his arm, reflexively grabbing for the sword at his hip.

Seeing Mishaan however, gives Oargev pause. Composing himself, the prince coughs to clear his throat, then booms:

"Private Fripp!"


The sentry outside immediately burst into the tent, swords drawn, eyes scanning for threats. When he sees the cat, his expressions seem to cycle between confusion, amusement and panic.

"...please escort this cat out of my office and to the nearest mage for examination. Actually...locate one Dorethea Bisher and ask her about it, and if I should consider it a security risk. In the future, I would advise you not to fall lax in your duties - remember that animal familiars can be used as vectors for spying and hexes."

Tharo d'Jorasco
 NPC, 5 posts
 Retired Combat Medic
 Scion of House Jorasco
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 19:38
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Dereen (msg # 521):

"Those priests of Vol?"
the Tharo shakes his head, "perhaps. Sometimes if you gaze too long at the sun, you blind yourself to everything else," the halfling turns his gaze to Dereen, "it will do you well to remember that too."

Upon hearing about Oargev's latest mission, the elder Jorasco simply sighs. If anything, Tharo simply looks resigned,

"...of course you'd be involved in whatever crazy incident is happening now,"
the scion forces a smile, "well then. Go on. Don't let me hold you back."
Hunter
 player, 893 posts
 48/48
Tue 16 Sep 2014
at 03:03
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Hunter scratched its head for a moment searching for words that would help it the most in its cause. It still had not understood the arts of the silver tongue, in fact just recently the war forged had learned that idiom had nothing to do with a real silver tongue. It mind had finally gone back to silver as it circled around and around, looking down at the halfling Hunter realized it must look quite weird. "I was wondering if you had any holy water or silver?" It said at length.
Dot
 player, 1337 posts
 AKA
 HP 26/26, AC 19 f15 t15
Tue 16 Sep 2014
at 08:52
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Dot sighed, resigned to the problem ahead. She'd hoped for something more specific, but wasn't surprised that Morrimer couldn't provide. It had been a long shot that he would know just the thing, after all. At least he'd been able to give her some good general knowledge and possibilities, so she wouldn't be going in blind or surprised. She hoped. She'd need to know more about the village of Cairnhill itself, its history and layout and to have her feet on the ground there, before she could determine more. 'Well, thank you very much, professor.' she concluded. With a wary glance at Amissa, she made her departure, soon hurrying off to the Drunken Page.
Mishann
 player, 40 posts
Tue 16 Sep 2014
at 08:52
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
As Oargev jumped to his feet, Mishann startled and leapt off the desk to shelter, before glancing back at the foolish human. 'Neow!' she whined in distinct annoyance. She hadn't even gotten around to playing with his pen.

Hearing Oargev's orders, Mishann turned her nose and tail up in the air. Hmph. Yes, you will carry me to the Mistress, and apologise to her. Then she turned and trotted right back into the pet carrier Dot had left behind. The cat even pawed the door closed behind her. 'Now!'
Siberys
 GM, 888 posts
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 04:08
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Hunter (msg # 525):

The healer's face fell slightly at Hunter's request,

"Uh. Not really," she said, fidgeting, "oh! Are you looking to bless something for the mobilization? Um, I'm not sure if there are any actual clerics with the slots to spare at the moment...if you had some actual silver on you I could probably find you someone to do so...but since you don't...sorry."
Siberys
 GM, 889 posts
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 04:13
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Dot (msg # 526):

As Dot exits the secure area with a very disgruntled Amissa watching her back like a hawk, a young private bumps into her, carrying Mishaan.

"Uh um. Miss Bish? Captain Oargev said there was a cat in his office. Said he was worried it might be enchanted or magical - uh, could you take a look please?" he manages to squeak out while holding out the pet carrier containing Mishaan as though she was a highly volatile bomb rather than a cat (granted, the two were indeed very similar)

Also, along the way to the Drunken Page you bump into Aetheron, who is also apparently looking for you.
Dereen
 player, 582 posts
 peacefull healer hp:32/32
 AC16sv:7/5/9T:9/9A:10/10
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 06:56
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
"I'm very sorry for such a short visit. I will come again as soon as we get back... although I don't have the smallest idea of when it will be..." said Dereen as he left the elder scion.

On his way, he spotted Hunter talking with one of the healers.

"Hello Hunter, what brings you here? I thought you were back in perfect shape?"
Dot
 player, 1338 posts
 AKA
 HP 26/26, AC 19 f15 t15
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 07:04
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
At the private's interruption, Dot halted her march and peered into the pet carrier to see Mishann, sensing the cat's annoyance. 'Never seen it before.' she answered flatly, teasing the cat as much as Fripp, before turning to amusement. 'Yes, she's mine. I figured she'd be okay waiting there until we got back.' She took possession of the pet carrier, then waved the private off, and resumed her course, only to soon see Aetheron approaching.
Hunter
 player, 894 posts
 48/48
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 16:44
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Hunter slightly shrugged its shoulders. "It can't be helped at such a stage."</purple It murmured. Then bowed to the healer. <purple>"Thankyou for your time." It said warmly.

It turned to Dereen and gave him a sideways nod. "Ahh Dereen, I was trying to scrounge up some holy water but it would appear the whole city is fresh out. I received some empty bottles and as well as acid and alchemist fire for our journey." It said in a thoughtful voice that revealed very little emotion. It scratched it chin for a moment. "Shall we meet up with the others."
Dereen
 player, 583 posts
 peacefull healer hp:32/32
 AC16sv:7/5/9T:9/9A:10/10
Sun 21 Sep 2014
at 17:00
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
"Yes... It must be hard to find at the moment." nodded Dereen.
He thought about it some time and added
"We should change some of our gold in silver coins before we leave and tomorrow  I will prepare the required spells.

We need quite a bit of silver, though.  I'm not certain many merchant around here have enough silver coins...  Let's check on the way while we look for the others."

Hunter
 player, 895 posts
 48/48
Fri 26 Sep 2014
at 22:27
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Hunter waved the halfling off. "No use I have already inquired all a round the city and couldn't find anything." It said slightly disheartened. It looked around. "Instead of wasting more time on a fools errand lets head over to meet up with the others." The warforged added after a moment of thought.
Siberys
 GM, 892 posts
Thu 2 Oct 2014
at 00:04
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
While the four of you were making your own preparations, the rest of the camp was hardly idle. Banners of the 31st and 78th infantry companies waved under the afternoon sun. It seems that while Oargev hustled to send reinforcements, he was keeping a majority of Allsmeet's forces back in the event of a possible feint. Soldiers in chain-mail and long pikes strapped heavy-looking backpacks onto themselves as they prepared to march. Columns of infantry fell in at the main road as the sergeants conducted their last minute inspections. Supporting them were the 22nd and 23rd Archers and the 151th Wands, the polished, dark wood of their bows and wands gleaming under the noonday sun. Finally behind them were the long trail of logistics and support caravans, loaded with supplies for the quick march to the border.

Oargev stood off to the side, uphill where he could watch the proceedings clearly. Next to him was Wex d'Orien in the standard uniform of an Orien courier. Golden badges gleam from his breast, indicative of his numerous difficult yet successful 'deliveries'. The scion carries no visible weapons and few items save a small messenger's satchel. Sown onto his gloves and breast pocket in silver stitching is the symbol of House Orien, a white winged horse - the Pegasus.

"Guardsmen," nods Oargev, gesturing for the each of you to step up, "it is time. The army will arrive at Cairnhill in two days. If they cannot reinforce you, then they will retake the town. Your duty until them is to evacuate the civilians and prevent Karnnath from achieving their goals, whatever they may be."

Wex steps forward, right arm outstretched,

"Ready?"
Dereen
 player, 584 posts
 peacefull healer hp:32/32
 AC16sv:7/5/9T:9/9A:10/10
Thu 2 Oct 2014
at 12:36
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Dereen hand't understood just how important the troop movement were. And he is quite impressed by the sight of it.

He hoped they would have some time to prepare before the arrival of the Karnnath group.  He had thought of some spells that could be useful, but most would depend on the situation, so it was hard to prepare for them.

He also hoped there were some shrine dedicated to the Host in the village, as it would boost some of those spells.

"As ready as I could be"
he answered
Aetheron
 player, 920 posts
 Warlock
 HP: 28/28
Thu 2 Oct 2014
at 16:23
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Aetheron nodded, and flexed his hands. "Ready to go."
Dot
 player, 1339 posts
 AKA
 HP 26/26, AC 19 f15 t15
Fri 3 Oct 2014
at 13:01
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Dot spent a frantic hour or two in the Drunken Page, reading up on all she could about pre-Galifarian burial practices and local history, and riffling through spell indexes for something that might prove useful and within her capabilities. The soldiers had to practically drag her out at the last second. It wasn't fear that held her back this time, but the desire to be better prepared.

She was still scribbling arcane notes and reading books when Oargev beckoned them, like a student mageling cramming before an exam. With a resigned sigh, she stuffed them in her satchel and approached. 'Yes, sir.'

She couldn't say she was ready, given her desperate research. She hadn't found anything new or relevant or useful that she could see. 'I'll have to be.'


OOC: Does Dot learn anything new researching at the Drunken Page?
20:56, Today: Dot rolled 11 using 1d20+9. arcana.
20:56, Today: Dot rolled 12 using 1d20+5. history.
20:57, Today: Dot rolled 25 using 1d20+6. religion.
Doesn't look like it.

Hunter
 player, 897 posts
 48/48
Sat 4 Oct 2014
at 18:37
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Hunter quietly watched for some time, the feeling of excitement ebbing up inside of it. Finally it turned to Oargev and shrugged. "As ready as I can be." It said simply still slightly disappointed over not being able to acquire any holy water.
Siberys
 GM, 896 posts
Mon 6 Oct 2014
at 02:41
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
"Then take my hand."

Once all four of you do so, Wex closes his eyes and concentrates. For a brief moment, you see the Greater Dragonmark flare on his right arm, the spiraling green-blue pattern glowing through the fabric in all its glory.

Then there was a...shift. The feeling of falling upwards. Of being stretched in all directions simultaneously-

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:43, Mon 06 Oct 2014.