Mission 03: Extraction.   Posted by Siberys.Group: 0
Siberys
 GM, 731 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 13:40
Mission 03: Extraction
No proper trip to Sharn is complete without a thorough experience of its weather - gray skies bringing with them a light shower, cold and soft. Tiny rivers of water stream down the sides of the city towers, forming puddles and small pools in the shadows of each building. Sheltered walkways illuminated by well-spaced continual lanterns follow each street, filled with the bustle of busy locals dressed in long, waterproof coats, apparently unperturbed by the rain.

As the party steps out of the Fuel and Fiddle, they are greeted by a tiny bundle of drenched clothing. Two eyes and a pair of teeth peek out from the rags, while a small arm holds out a water-logged newspaper;

"Special Delivery ma'am? The others sez you wants a paper?" came the voice of the street-urchin from earlier.
Dot
 player, 1134 posts
 AKA Dorelle Gremmings
 HP 26/26, AC 17 f15 t13
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 12:08
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
With the sudden downpour, Dorelle produced a dainty umbrella to cover herself. She had wanted to take her cat for a walk, but with the terrible weather, this was looking unlikely. Plus, carrying an animal everywhere you went was a sure sign of a familiar. So she left Mishann to roam the hotel room, with bickies, water, and a tray provided, plus a window open sufficiently for her to crawl out in the form of an alley-cat later. An extra pair of eyes following them wouldn't go astray.

Dorelle looked down at the soaking wet figure. 'Cedric, you poor dear. What are you doing out in the rain?' she exclaimed in dismay. She knelt and shared her umbrella with the boy, switching to a street cant 'You gets the same deal as Fin and ya big friend. If'n case 'e told you wrong, I'll be givin' you five crowns two now, three at day's end if'n you keep yer eyes peeled and give us the word if'n you spot any bod eyein' us up? Pickpocket, purse-snatch, mugger, con artist, or whatever. If'n I don't like the looks o' them, you can have half a sovereign. If ya be straight with us and keep trouble off our backs while we're here, I think I can see me way to a whole sovereign. An' all of yes see us here at sundown to collect, okay?' She opened her purse and fished out two crowns, and added 'An' how much fer ya paper?'
Aetheron
 player, 805 posts
 Warlock
 HP: 24/24
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 00:03
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Once outside, Aetheron hiked up his nervous twitching a little, keeping an eye on the surroundings. The rain wasn't exactly nice, but he'd survived far worse on campaign, so he let it sluice around him and kept his character. He let Dot handle the interaction with the urchin; that he knew was outside his experience.
Siberys
 GM, 732 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 02:44
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
The little urchin's grin seems to widen at the sight of the crowns,

"Free'f charge ma'am. For services rendered, as it was. Where d'ya want to go? Can't get in the upper quarters as is, but then again, neither can most of the folks. The Watch actually bothers, in those parts."

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:23, Tue 24 Dec 2013.

Dot
 player, 1135 posts
 AKA Dorelle Gremmings
 HP 26/26, AC 17 f15 t13
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 04:47
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Nevertheless, Dot dropped three crowns into the boy's hand, with one for the newspaper. 'Morgrave Univers'ty. We fancied a butcher's at all the shinies... That's where old Morrimer's loot's stashed, innit?' she asked with a larcenous wink.


She was about to ask about visiting Morgrave University when Cedric suddenly dashed off. She glanced about, wondering if anything had spooked him, or if it was the typical flightiness of street-kids.

OOC: Why did Cedric run off? Listen 19, Spot 14, Sense Motive 20
12:46, Today: Dot rolled 20 using 1d20+1. sense motive.
12:46, Today: Dot rolled 14 using 1d20-1. spot.
12:46, Today: Dot rolled 19 using 1d20-1. listen.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:31, Tue 24 Dec 2013.

Siberys
 GM, 735 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 05:56
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
"Morrimer? Ya means that old'explorer who got back recent with a bunch of old statues? Fin's been babbling about him all week. Jeez..." the boy scratches his head, but takes the crowns nonetheless.

"I can get ya there. Not inta de libraries, but close enuf. Yer want the straight way, the quick way or the quiet way?"
Dot
 player, 1137 posts
 AKA Dorelle Gremmings
 HP 26/26, AC 17 f15 t13
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 07:03
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
'Yeah, 'im. I think jus' the museum would be nice.' Dot replied, then looked to her companions to see if they had anything to say about how to get to the university.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:01, Mon 30 Dec 2013.

Hunter
 player, 774 posts
 48/48
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 11:21
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
On rainy days Hunter was always glad it was made of adamantine, a metal that would not rust. Granted it still had to worry some about its under carriage a nice cleaning and oiling of its parts was enough to maintain its system.
It was glad to see the urchin, the child would make things easier and brought up a good question. "I think the quiet way would be best." It said after a moment's thought.
Dereen
 player, 473 posts
 peacefull healer
 hp:17/22 AC16 sv:6/4/8
Thu 26 Dec 2013
at 15:52
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In the end, a walk in the heavy rain probably wasn't that good for his 'patient'.  At least the sight was worth being soaked.  Dereen just hoped there would be something hot and dry once they returned to the inn.

The meeting with the street urchin, however, made him feel guilty of complaining (even only to himself).

"I agree with our big friend, a quiet way would be nicer."
Dot
 player, 1138 posts
 AKA Dorelle Gremmings
 HP 26/26, AC 17 f15 t13
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 11:03
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Dot looked between Hunter and Dereen as they both agreed. She looked back to Cedric. 'The quiet way it is, then!'
Siberys
 GM, 737 posts
Tue 31 Dec 2013
at 12:08
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Cedric nods and gestures for the gang to follow him. Swift as a mouse, he leads you down one of the smaller roads and down an alleyway into an old tunnel of some sorts. Pipes  and bits of moss encrust the brick ceiling and walls, the lit only by maintenance lanterns powered by continual flame spells, some of which have been damaged or cracked.

"Old maintenance shaft, fer when they was erecting some of them later towers n bridges," whispers Cedric, as he leads you through the tunnel and up a series of increasingly narrow steps along the side of a huge concrete building. The stairs spiral round and round, up and up, though the entire thing lies mostly out of sight of the main streets, being cloaked in the shadow of the larger towers and walkways. Very little rain seems falls directly on this path, though the steps are still slick with water steaming down from above. Once in a while you catch a glimpse of a street filled with walking people, all dressed in coats and cloaks, or of stalls closed and shuttered due to the rain. The steps are linked by their own set of alleyways and tunnels, which the urchin carefully navigates with uncanny familiarity.

Occasionally, Cedric will suddenly gesture for the four of you to pause, before disappearing down the streets. Sometimes, you hear the sounds of footsteps, and other voices echoing from ahead.

Finally, after what seems like a good hour of walking, he leads you out into an alleyway and into a larger street.

"Right then Miz talks-a-lot, Morgraves just round the corner. I can't get ya in the grounds itself cause of guards n wards  and wizards and stuff, but ya should be able to waltz right into the Libraries, what with ya being a woman of upbringing and all that," sniggered the urchin, picking his nose with a grubby left finger, "thanks for the coin, by the by.  Won't lie to ya, it's more than most of us make in a month. You lot staying here long? "
Dot
 player, 1139 posts
 AKA Dorelle Gremmings
 HP 26/26, AC 17 f15 t13
Wed 1 Jan 2014
at 11:59
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
Dot followed close behind Cedric, curiously observing their surroundings, all the tunnels, alleys, and little-known back streets. So much for seeing the sights of Sharn, she thought ruefully. Should have asked for the scenic route. She tried to memorise the route, but found herself hopelessly turned around. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

'Thanks, mate. Meet us back here in a few bells to lead us back, yeah? There'll be another crown in it for ya.'

'Oh, few days, you know.'
Dot answered casually, wary of sharing too much information even with the street kids.
Mishann
 player, 20 posts
Wed 1 Jan 2014
at 11:59
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
A bedraggled and patchy furred moggy followed the travellers some blocks behind, dashing from cover to cover to avoid the worst of the rain. When she lost sight of them, she was able to sniff them out. Occasionally, she stopped in some shelters to fussily attempt to dry herself as she watched the streets and alleys, carefully observing any who might attempt to follow her mistress. Dot would owe Mishann a big, fresh fish for this.
Siberys
 GM, 738 posts
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 07:49
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
In reply to Dot (msg # 12):

"Cor. Yer can count on me miss!" the young boy nods, giving a half now of sorts, before scampering down the way you came.

Looking around the corner, you appear to be in one oft he upper districts of Sharn. The streets bustle with robed figures in fine garments, some bearing late disks of force above their heads, like a makeshift umbrella against the rain. Odd shops and pubs line the edges oft he road, while a large open gate lies at its end, flanked by a pair of tall, humanoid statues in armor. Etched in an iron plate over it are the words "Morgrave University". Beyond that gate are the grassy lawns, tiled pavements and tall spires of the university itself. Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any signs or directions in sight.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:51, Thu 02 Jan 2014.

Dot
 player, 1140 posts
 AKA Dorelle Gremmings
 HP 26/26, AC 17 f15 t13
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 12:38
Re: Mission 03: Extraction
As they returned to the streets, Dot erected her umbrella again and tried to look like she belonged on these upper-district streets. Still, once an urchin herself, she couldn't help but feel a little out of place for all her pretensions, education, and mimicry. And she could help but stare in awe at the entrance to Morgrave University, so much grander than old Making U. 'Even the universities are better here.' she breathed.

Despite the lack of signage, she felt confidant about her familiarity with universities. 'Well, let's find the museum.' she said, marching off through the gates, keeping an eye out for a map and Morrimer's archaeological department.


OOC: Finding a museum: Knowledge (arcane) 26
20:25, Today: Dot rolled 26 using 1d20+9. arcane.