Mission 04: ????   Posted by Siberys.Group: 0
Dereen
 player, 588 posts
 peacefull healer hp:32/32
 AC16sv:7/5/9T:9/9A:10/10
Wed 8 Oct 2014
at 19:54
Re: Mission 04: ????
"I seriously hope this is not someone's basement..." said Dereen looking around, not very reassured, gripping his holy symbol with both hands.
"Well, you were right about this place's name Dot... I wonder who is buried here..."
Dot
 player, 1344 posts
 AKA Dot
 HP 31/31, AC 13 f11 t13
Thu 9 Oct 2014
at 08:03
Re: Mission 04: ????
Her mouth opened, but Dot was speechless for a long, long time as she took in the chamber, seeing at the countless bandaged-up cats gazing down upon them. What in the world do you say to that?

'Mau! Mau!' Mishann whined in dismay at the treatment of her kin, vocalising her sheer horror.

At last Dot found her voice, licked her mouth, and said 'I know, hun.' she returned softly, trying to reassuring the cat and reaching into the pet-box and stroke her raised fur.

Moving slowly, carefully, just in case those mummified cats were not entirely at rest, she peered down over the casket, inspecting the coat-of-arms, inscriptions, and the general style. She'd expected pre-Galifaran, and the Houses were older, but this still could be a more recent crypt. With some bizarre occupants.


OOC: Is there any significance to the cats? Can Dot date the tomb or find any inscription on the casket?
15:56, Today: Dot rolled 26 using 1d20+8. religion.
15:56, Today: Dot rolled 17 using 1d20+5. history.
16:01, Today: Dot rolled 24 using 1d20+7. decipher script.

Aetheron
 player, 924 posts
 Warlock
 HP: 28/28
Thu 9 Oct 2014
at 21:07
Re: Mission 04: ????
Aetheron raised an eyebrow at their Orien escort. He'd expected tedious talking with old Vadalis folks before they got to the interesting things. Evidently he wasn't going to be bored today. "Interesting landing. Do you go awry often?"
Siberys
 GM, 901 posts
Fri 10 Oct 2014
at 14:34
Re: Mission 04: ????
Wex returns Aetheron's look with a raised eyebrow of his own,

"Only when asked to go somewhere I've never been to before."

Dereen
 player, 589 posts
 peacefull healer hp:32/32
 AC16sv:7/5/9T:9/9A:10/10
Fri 10 Oct 2014
at 15:52
Re: Mission 04: ????
Still holding his holy symbol, Dereen moved closer to the casket.
"This seems old, very old...." he mused aloud. "There are some difference between that symbol and the one the House uses...

I remember some old tales. Stories from before Galifar the First and his grand oeuvre of unification. Whoever this is, I think this was a member of the house before the Twelves... when they were smaller and scattered."

Siberys
 GM, 902 posts
Sat 11 Oct 2014
at 01:58
Re: Mission 04: ????
Now that the initial shock is over, the four of you realize that the room isn't entirely surrounded by cats. In the light of Aetheron's alchemical vial you see that one of the walls is actually a low arch that leads out into dim shadow, lined with cobwebs and dust.
Hunter
 player, 900 posts
 48/48
Sat 11 Oct 2014
at 06:58
Re: Mission 04: ????
After the warforged's eyes adjust to the light it spends a moment looking around some what intrigued by the surroundings. It looks to Dot and her cat. "Surely this is the tomb of one who obsessed over cats and spent most of their life devoted to the study of cats" It said simply in the smooth calm voice only achievable by constructs. It paused for another moment. "A breeze?" it murmured then looked over at the others. "Since there is air flow there is a way out." It said in a matter of fact sort of tone. "So shall we explore the tomb further or head for the exit?"
Dot
 player, 1345 posts
 AKA Dot
 HP 31/31, AC 13 f11 t13
Sat 11 Oct 2014
at 08:16
Re: Mission 04: ????
'I once read an interesting gnomish proposal to install unique identifying sigils with error-correcting codes in each major city, town, and House holding.' Dot mused after Wex's words as she scrutinised the casket. 'A teleporting mage or d'Orien would only have to memorise the symbols or study them in a book before teleporting to that location. Unfortunately, the War makes it impossible to agree on a uniform Khorvaire-wide system, or even to make them public for fear of invasion.'

She looked up to Dereen. 'I think you're right. It's an earlier design. The griffin is more formal, and side-on: griffon rampant to sinister. And the trees are in the background, rather than bordering.' she explained, remembering a bit of the heraldic rules she'd had to learn as a scribe. If she knew more about House heraldic history, she might be able to date it, but frankly that had never seemed an interesting topic of study.

To Hunter, she said 'Not necessarily. A few small religions and druid sects venerate cats. They tend to be fertility or pleasure cults. They're mostly associated with Boldrei or Balinor now, depending on the cat. I remember a picture of Mother Boldrei riding a giant cat...' 'Mer-row.' 'Well, of course people should worship cats.'

Looking around, Dot's eyes adapted to the dark and she saw the archway leading out. She also now felt the breeze, but wondered how in the world the metal-skinned construct had felt it first. 'Looks like there is only one way. Let's find the exit first, make sure we can get out, and that we're actually in the right place. I don't want to rob some tomb unnecessarily...' she decided. Her church upbringing made her superstitious.
Hunter
 player, 901 posts
 48/48
Sat 11 Oct 2014
at 17:40
Re: Mission 04: ????
Hunter nodded. "Right... give me a moment." It said in a smooth metallic tone. It replaced the great sword on its back and took out and lit a torch which it placed in its left hand and held its morning star in the right. The warforged looked to the others for a moment. "We can use the flickering and waving of the torch fire to guide the way." It said simply before slowly moving forward.
Siberys
 GM, 903 posts
Sun 12 Oct 2014
at 16:39
Re: Mission 04: ????
"Well, Vadalis is one of the younger houses..." answers Wex, looking at the gathering of mummified cats with a mix of awe and trepidation, "memorizing landmarks and major locations is part of the training for any Orien courier, marked or not. Your gnomish proposal seems largely redundant."

The smoking torch in Hunter's hand flickers slightly as the warforged nears the corridor. Outside of the cat-tomb is a long passageway stretching to your left and right, just wide enough for a party of three.

Or for two people carrying a coffin.

Various arches lining the corridor appear to lead into similar alcoves to the one you arrived in. The passageway to the left seems to sink further and down, while the passage to the right moves slopes slightly upwards. Both lead into darkness.

Every few seconds, the flame flickers to the left.
Dot
 player, 1346 posts
 AKA Dot
 HP 31/31, AC 17 f15 t17
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 08:03
Re: Mission 04: ????
Dot thought about explaining more about the concept to Wex, seeing the flaws in the traditional approach. A caster might misremember, not have a chance to memorise those details, or run into a very similar landmark. But right now they had a crypt to explore.

She muttered arcane words and conjured armour of force about herself, in case this turned out to be dangerous. Crypts always contained restless dead, didn't they? Peering around the corner, she noted the slope of the passage and the motion of the flame. The place was surprisingly big. 'You know, I think you fetched us up right inside the burial mound itself.' Dot told Wex, not saying how House Orien could do with a system of unique identifying sigils. 'I guess it saves us a lot of bother getting in, thank the Traveller... Okay, let's go right.'
Dereen
 player, 590 posts
 peacefull healer hp:32/32
 AC16sv:7/5/9T:9/9A:10/10
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 14:30
Re: Mission 04: ????
Dereen looked left and right before agreeing with Dot
"Yes, let's keep the darker, deeper path for later."
Knowing very well they will have to go there, if only to make sure there is nothing dangerous... Or potentially dangerous in the hands of their enemies.
Aetheron
 player, 925 posts
 Warlock
 HP: 28/28
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 17:28
Re: Mission 04: ????
Personally, Aetheron would have preferred to explore the deep and dark first, while they were fresh. On the other hand, he supposed there was wisdom in knowing how to get out of the mound before they ran into things that wanted to kill them, so he held his tongue and kept the vial of liquid light high as they moved out.
Siberys
 GM, 906 posts
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 05:19
Re: Mission 04: ????
Five sets of footsteps echo off the cold, stone walls of the crypt. The floor under your feet is inconsistent, sometimes simply packed dirt, other-times cobblestone, or smooth granite. This pattern repeats itself along the tombs, with clear differences in design of the arches, the materials used, even the size and height. Aetheron's alchemical vial and Hunter's flickering torch offer only brief glimpses into the side alcoves:

-a long, tall coffin more suited for a orge or half-giant than a man
-horse heads
-what seem to be three long slim urns instead of coffins
-a room of nothing but sealed, clay jars
-a statue of an eagle with a horse's body
-a fully mummified cow

And then, at the end - a steep stone staircase, carved and lain into the earth leading up into...a solid grey wall of rock.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:34, Tue 14 Oct 2014.

Dot
 player, 1347 posts
 AKA Dot
 HP 31/31, AC 17 f15 t17
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 05:30
Re: Mission 04: ????
Struck by the varying architectural styles and construction materials, Dot mused 'I think this crypt has been reused lots of different times through its history. Every time, they dig a new tunnel, build a new section...' Then the light fell on the sheer rock face at the top of the stairs. 'Except now.'

'Okay, maybe we should have gone left after all.'

Hunter
 player, 903 posts
 48/48
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 05:59
Re: Mission 04: ????
Hunter found the place quite interesting though another part of it could not help but be unsettled by how big of a treasure trove this place could be for a necromancer. Once the group finally gets to the dead end it looks at it for a moment. "Ha, I wonder why they sealed this place off, perhaps to try and preserve the mummies  and hide the place." The warforged mused to itself. It looked back at Dot for a moment. "No, no we are at the correct place." It said simply. It walked up to the wall and started looking at it prodding it and tapping it with the morning star.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 08:28, Tue 14 Oct 2014.

Dereen
 player, 591 posts
 peacefull healer hp:32/32
 AC16sv:7/5/9T:9/9A:10/10
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 06:59
Re: Mission 04: ????
The more they walked, the more worried Dereen became.
This place was not only huge but also sooo creepy. Who would need a mummified cow?

"I'm beginning to understand why Karnnath is coming here.  Most of this looks like creepy jumble but I suppose there must also be things or dead things that could interest them.  Not sure I want to rummage through most of it, though."

The stone wall at the end did surprise him.
"is it man made?"
Hunter
 player, 904 posts
 48/48
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 08:34
Re: Mission 04: ????
Hunter nodded slightly to the halfling. "Man, halfling, gnome, dwarf, elf... I know not which race made it but it certainly  isn't natural and I doubt it was made by magic but I am no expert on crafting or architecture." It replied over its shoulder as the warforged slowly analyzed the wall.
Dot
 player, 1349 posts
 AKA Dot
 HP 31/31, AC 17 f15 t17
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 11:29
Re: Mission 04: ????
'Well, hopefully we can deal with mummified cats and cows.'

Dot watched Hunter inspect the stone wall. 'Hunter, your torch. Is there an air current?' she reminded him. She tried to observe the architecture here, wondering if was an entrance or an ending. 'Aetheron, try scanning for magic. There might be warding spells.'


OOC: Knowledge (architecture) 16
19:26, Today: Dot rolled 16 using 1d20+6. architecture.

Aetheron
 player, 927 posts
 Warlock
 HP: 28/28
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 17:02
Re: Mission 04: ????
"If it was created by magic in the past it probably wouldn't still bear a dweomer, but I'll check," Aetheron said. He gazed at the wall intently and called on his power. For good measure he scanned the entire passage, including back the way they'd come. If there was magic here, he wanted to find it.
Siberys
 GM, 907 posts
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 18:18
Re: Mission 04: ????
Dust and dirt drift down in small clouds as Hunter taps the stone solid. A series of hollow thunking sounds echo down the corridor.
Aetheron
 player, 928 posts
 Warlock
 HP: 28/28
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 18:59
Re: Mission 04: ????
Aetheron nodded. "What I thought. There's no active or lingering magic here."
Hunter
 player, 906 posts
 48/48
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 02:24
Re: Mission 04: ????
After some time Hunter turns to look at the others. "We are in luck it was built by hand and shoddily at that... Or perhaps quickly." Hunter pointed its morning star at the wall. "They dry stacked the wall then covered it with clay to reinforce it from the other side. However, it has started to deteriorate in this area so we should be able to break through." With that said it handed off the torch then took up the  morningstar like a bat. Aiming at the weak area in the wall the warforged began to hit it over and over again to break through.
Dot
 player, 1350 posts
 AKA Dot
 HP 31/31, AC 17 f15 t17
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 02:44
Re: Mission 04: ????
'It's a cheap stopgap measure to seal off disused passages and rooms, so they can be easily opened up later. There're stories of old parts of the university sealed away and forgotten like this.' As Hunter began to smash at the wall, Dot retreated down the corridor, lest there were cave-ins and wall collapses. 'Let's get out of the way.'

This message was last edited by the player at 02:45, Wed 15 Oct 2014.

Siberys
 GM, 908 posts
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 06:04
Re: Mission 04: ????
The first blow of the mace brings with it a torrent of dust, dirt and dried clay. The second swing sees dozens of cracks run along the remaining bits of clay visible from inside.

With the third and final blow, the stone slab bursts from its position with a resounding CRRRACK! Fresh air immediately rushes in past the five of you, while a few faint rays of light poke their way into the corridor. Knocked from its resting place, the slab teeters forward and slams into something else. A second CRRRK! hammers your eardrums as the stone splits across the middle, its upper half collapsing on top of a heavy-looking stone dais, scattering bits of old stone and dust everywhere.

Grass, roots and fungus coat the brick walls of what looks to be a small tomb of some sort. Sunlight peeks its way pass the mess of leaves and long ferns that cover the front door. Besides the dais, the rest of the room seems largely empty, save for a few broken urns and a small altar carved with the three stylized symbols - those of Balinor, Arawai and the Keeper.

--> Mission 04: Attack on Cairnhill

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:05, Wed 15 Oct 2014.