Fade Away and Radiate.   Posted by Project Director.Group: 0
Andy Maxwell Flasch
 player, 14 posts
 KM-L1C "Mabel"
 Scout/Tech
Fri 5 May 2017
at 01:35
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
Andy's attention is focused on the right side, looking for what or who ever the horse and rider are running from.  Andy's hand moves toward his pistol before he realizes he may have to leap up to the .50 cal.

"You got it!  Be ready to bug out if necessary."
Project Director
 GM, 460 posts
 Papa-2
Sat 6 May 2017
at 09:03
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
The XR311 skidded to a stop on the forest trail, narrowly missing the horse's hindquarters!

As they disappeared from view to the left, it seemed like the rider was slumped over his mount. The rider seemed armoured in some kind of archaic getup, but there was really no time to make a more detailed analysis as the mount and rider disappeared into the underbrush with a thrashing of branches.

As the seconds ticked by there was more thrashing off to the left by where they last saw the horse, and the sound of a horse in distress. It seemed like maybe the horse and rider had gotten into some kind of trouble?
Andy Maxwell Flasch
 player, 15 posts
 KM-L1C "Mabel"
 Scout/Tech
Sat 6 May 2017
at 14:42
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
After several seconds Andy swung his head to left, looking at the spot where the horse and rider crashed back into the brush. "What the hell was that?"

Listening to the sounds from left, Andy made a sour face.  "A guy on horseback, and I think I saw medieval type gear on him.  Sounds a lot like our hostiles."

Taking a deep breath then letting it out, he continues, "But if he's riding like that in the dark, I gotta believe he's in trouble..."

Andy grabs the first aid kit and his gear, preparing to head into the woods, "I think we've got to go see.  Do you want to cover me and keep one eye on the Jeep and I'll sneak up and see what we've got?  Any more come bounding in, your MAC-10 will be a lot better than my '21 for quick defense."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:58, Sat 06 May 2017.

Elliot Charles Pendergrass
 player, 14 posts
 KS-S6E
 Nuclear Physicist
Sun 7 May 2017
at 14:27
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
"Agreed," El says, securing the vehicle.

"Take my MAC instead of the sniper rifle, if you want. I'm plenty prepared," El says, offering the weapon and the magazine case. "My first round will be a loud one, followed by a parachute flare. If you hear the big blast, drop off your night vision goggles because I'm about to light the world up." He hefts the HK 69A1.

Before Andy leaves, El pulls out a grenade. "Here's what I know: you can sit silently, you can move silently but you can't cough silently. Smoke out." He pulls the pin on a green smoke grenade and tosses it into the woods near the place where the injured rider emerged from. El takes cover behind the vehicle and nods to his partner.
Project Director
 GM, 462 posts
 Papa-2
Mon 8 May 2017
at 08:09
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
The grenade went off, and within seconds the dark woods off to the right were filled with green smoke.

Slinging the First Aid Kit off his right shoulder, Andy also slung El's loaned MAC-10 off his other.

There had been a great deal of rain earlier that day. Although the rain had stopped not too long ago there was still a constant rustle and drip of the forest around them as the halted XR311 did not make any noise while idling.

Advancing through the wet undergrowth on the left side, Andy quickly discovered himself on the top of a small 5m deep ravine that ran alongside the wide path of the Open Road. He could make out a horse thrashing around in the undergrowth. A stream ran through the bottom of the ravine as well.

PD Note: Andy can make an Observation check. There is no penalty for range/terrain and the NVGs cancel out the darkness penalty..
Andy Maxwell Flasch
 player, 17 posts
 KM-L1C "Mabel"
 Scout/Tech
Mon 8 May 2017
at 19:58
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
OOC: 15:53, Today: Andy Maxwell Flasch rolled 21 using 1d100 with rolls of 21.  Observation roll. (Skill = 65)

Andy keys he radio and speaks quickly but softly.  "El, I've got a small ravine just off the road.  The horse is down there thrashing about and I am trying to get a better look for its rider.  Before I climb down there, can you come over and cover me?  I may need a hand with the horse... Lived in Oklahoma but never owned a horse."
Elliot Charles Pendergrass
 player, 15 posts
 KS-S6E
 Nuclear Physicist
Tue 9 May 2017
at 00:31
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
El keys his mic. "Roger that. I'll secure the vehicle and RV in four minutes."

Elliot does just that, with a careful final look at everything around before following his partner.
Project Director
 GM, 463 posts
 Papa-2
Thu 11 May 2017
at 08:46
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
By the time El joins him, Andy has spotted the rider. It's a young man in some kind of leather armour. It's difficult to tell as he's partially obscured by the horse and the thick undergrowth. He seemed to be unconscious and doesn't appear to be armed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:11, Thu 11 May 2017.

Elliot Charles Pendergrass
 player, 16 posts
 KS-S6E
 Nuclear Physicist
Thu 11 May 2017
at 20:59
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
El and Andy specifically look to see what distress the horse is in.

The two men confer briefly, which ends with El holstering his weapons and searching for a gentle slope to descend into the ravine. Using the night vision goggles and with Andy as overwatch, El begins a cautious and slow walk down.

When he has reached a certain depth, El looks to Andy and waves an arm. Without speaking the men remove their night vision goggles at this pre-arranged signal. El switches on his flashlight and does a quick survey of the scene before closing in on the rider and the horse.

El is careful to keep the flashlight beam pointed down so as to not surrender their position to anyone.

"Hope I don't have to put that horse down," he says. Elliot's father was a veterinarian, and he had seen and participated in more than his share of mercy killings of wounded animals, but horses were not always easily dispatched in a humane way- and there was word of hostiles about, making a gunshot in the night an even more dangerous necessity.
Project Director
 GM, 464 posts
 Papa-2
Thu 11 May 2017
at 21:25
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
In reply to Elliot Charles Pendergrass (msg # 531):

This being the Pacific Northwest there was no gentle slope down, at least none he could see in his immediate area.

The sides of the ravine were mainly moss-covered boulders and gnarled roots from the surrounding Douglas fir of the forest.


PD Note: This is a tricky slope. Please make a Climbing check!
Andy Maxwell Flasch
 player, 19 posts
 KM-L1C "Mabel"
 Scout/Tech
Thu 11 May 2017
at 21:47
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
"Take care on the way down.  If it is too steep I can grab a rope from the 311."

Andy keeps an eye on the action in the ravine as well as scanning the area and listening for any signs of activity.
Project Director
 GM, 467 posts
 Papa-2
Fri 12 May 2017
at 03:28
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
In reply to Andy Maxwell Flasch (msg # 533):

As he said that, Elliot's boot slipped on a wet rock and he sat down, sliding a little in the mud and over small boulders until he fetched up within 2m of the horse. Much too close! In the light the horse started to struggle again, thrashing about. The rider began to stir and mutter something unintelligible but still didn't open his eyes.
Elliot Charles Pendergrass
 player, 20 posts
 KS-S6E
 Nuclear Physicist
Fri 12 May 2017
at 05:48
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
Elliot uses the flashlight to see the real situation: what is the source of the horse's distress and any injuries evident on the man.
Project Director
 GM, 468 posts
 Papa-2
Fri 12 May 2017
at 08:19
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
In reply to Elliot Charles Pendergrass (msg # 535):

Unfortunately, El wasn't a veterinarian himself and could only guess at what the problem was. The horse kept trying to wright itself and stand up, but at every attempt it fell back, thrashing and screaming in pain. At a guess it got seriously hurt tumbling 5m down into a heavily wooded, muddy and boulder-strewn ravine. At this point its eyes were staring wildly.

As a side note it seemed to be fitted with an archaic and ornate form of tack, including a saddle, stirrups, bit, bridle, etc. but not barding or a caparison (surcoat).
Elliot Charles Pendergrass
 player, 21 posts
 KS-S6E
 Nuclear Physicist
Fri 12 May 2017
at 15:04
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
After backing away a few meters from the thrashing animal, Elliot keys his personal communication device and hails Andy.

"We are probably going to have to put this horse down, seems like a leg injury. We can't try to extract this guy if that creature is swinging hooves. We'll probably need a rope to help climb out with, and maybe a blanket to wrap him up in for a travois." He takes a breath and rubs a bruise on his leg from the slide down. "You should get the M21 and use that to end the horse. My HK will make a monstrous mess, and that's not the image I want in my head when I go to sleep tonight. Over."
Andy Maxwell Flasch
 player, 21 posts
 KM-L1C "Mabel"
 Scout/Tech
Fri 12 May 2017
at 17:51
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
Keying his '68 so that he doesn't have to yell down the ravine, "Damn. Ok. Give me a minute.  I'll get the rifle."

Andy moves carefully but purposefully back to the vehicle.  He scans the area as he moves, wary of anyone who may have been foolishly following the young man in the dark.

Once at the vehicle, he slings his suppressed rifle carefully over his shoulder and attaches his canteen to his belt before gathering up the 50m coil of rope and his sleeping bag.

"Have to come back for the axe on the next trip," he mutters to no one but himself.

Pausing to listen carefully, he makes another sweep of the area, making sure there is no activity before picking his way back to the ravine.

OOC: Tony-feel free to edit the following if necessary.  I put in enough to let the next move go to Elliot if it works out that way.  To hit roll in Die Roll thread.

Once at the edge of the ravine, he keys his radio once again.  "I am in position.  I am taking out the horse now.  Damn bad luck.  Stay still for a minute and let it settle down."

Using a tree trunk to steady his aim, Andy tried to dispatch the injured animal as humanely as possible.  He knew there was no way for them to get this creature out of the ravine alive but he still did not relish his job.  Waiting for it to stop moving, he took careful aim and pulled the trigger, the silenced rifle making a muted crack in the still of the night.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:02, Fri 12 May 2017.

Project Director
 GM, 470 posts
 Papa-2
Sun 14 May 2017
at 18:11
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
In reply to Jenna 'Tallfeather' Bartram (msg # 517):

Jenna assisted the family with cleaning and preparing the day's catch. The mood lightens as the family talks about fishing with the Kims in the winter and repairing their boat. There was a good number of fish, compared to before the war, due to the decades of recovery for the fisheries.

The reinforcement unit seemed to be a little overdue. They were 15 minutes out, last you heard, and they hadn't arrived after 20.

Down in the ravine, Andy's shot was true. It struck the poor beast in the head, ending its suffering. Examining the rider it looked like a young male with reddish blonde hair and a beard, possibly around 17-18 years of age. He is suffering a head wound, likely from falling as the horse tumbled into the ravine. He also seems to have a prior bullet wound to the leg and has lost a lot of blood, but the bleeding has stopped. He appeared to be regaining consciousness. "What... where... uh... who's there?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:52, Mon 15 May 2017.

Elliot Charles Pendergrass
 player, 23 posts
 KS-S6E
 Nuclear Physicist
Mon 15 May 2017
at 13:42
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
Elliot is kneeling in the ravine when the horse is ended.

"Nice shot, Andy. Sorry that you had to do that. The rider looks like a kid. Over."

El moves next to the wounded man as he slowly revives. Aware that the rider could react violently, El squats back a bit and keeps his HP-35 out of the man's reach.

"Andy, the kid's got a bullet wound to the leg and I see some blood on his head, probably hurt it in the fall. I am not sure how ambulatory he will be. Over."

From his place about a meter away Elliot starts to talk to the man as he regains awareness. "Hey, everything's going to be okay, right? You are hurt, but we are here to help you out." El does not have his flashlight on at the moment, not wanting to frighten the young man.

After a small pause to to let the man orient himself, Elliot continues. "My name is Elliot, what's yours?"

The first aid kit is handy but his right hand is free, able to snatch up either the K-Bar or the HP-35 if necessary.
Jenna 'Tallfeather' Bartram
 player, 133 posts
 KZ-L167
 Former Tams MC Member
Mon 15 May 2017
at 13:54
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
In reply to Project Director (msg # 539):

Jenna cleaned herself up, shouldered her shottie, and paid respect to her hosts. Then she looked to her team for a status update on their relief.
James (Jimmy) Gerrold MacGuire
 player, 276 posts
 KR-P44 "Carson"
 Contact Specialist
Mon 15 May 2017
at 14:09
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
Jimmy spends some time with the family, then will rotate out to check in with the others.  He elicits a promise for the meal.

"I haven't had a good meal in three hundred years, don't leave me out!"

He sidles up to his vehicle.

"Any radio activity Lina?"
Andy Maxwell Flasch
 player, 23 posts
 KM-L1C "Mabel"
 Scout/Tech
Mon 15 May 2017
at 18:41
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
Keying his radio, "Roger that.  I am going to bring the 311 around and drop the winch line to you. It will be easier to work with a little light too.  You need anything else down there?"

Waiting for any other requests, he lets El know that he is going to punch up the other team on the radio and give them a sitter.

Andy will carefully maneuver the vehicle so that it is off the road and positioned to assist Elliot in the ravine.

Keying the radio he calls the other teams in the area.

(See radio thread)
Elliot Charles Pendergrass
 player, 24 posts
 KS-S6E
 Nuclear Physicist
Mon 15 May 2017
at 20:31
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
As Andy moved the vehicle El did a quick check of the contents of the vehicle's large medkit. Looking around, Elliot says, "Good job with the vehicle, but keep the lights off for now. Andy, I think we need a couple more guns to guard us during the extraction. Our eyes will be focused and they say this is hostile territory."

He looks at the man, sizing him up and watching him come to. "We may need a vehicle capable of keeping this guy prone while we haul him to Base or somewhere else, and the 311 isn't big enough for that. If you are back on overwatch, I'll start administering first aid. Over." Elliot waits for Andy's confirmation before moving in close with the wounded man.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:43, Mon 15 May 2017.

Andy Maxwell Flasch
 player, 25 posts
 KM-L1C "Mabel"
 Scout/Tech
Tue 16 May 2017
at 12:44
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
"Sounds good.  I'll request some help."

(Radio transmission edited in thread)
Mahalina Rae Powell
 player, 86 posts
 KR-P44
 Comms/Tech
Wed 17 May 2017
at 05:09
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
James (Jimmy) Gerrold MacGuire:
"Any radio activity Lina?"



"Not since those guys on the Road contacted us a while ago.", Lina replied

She suddenly put her hand to her ear.

"I spoke too soon, Jimmy.  Go get Tim.  Could be trouble."


Lina keyed the mic and replied over the vehicle relay.

"Kilo Zulu Four, Romeo Three Two...."
James (Jimmy) Gerrold MacGuire
 player, 277 posts
 KR-P44 "Carson"
 Contact Specialist
Wed 17 May 2017
at 11:37
Re: Fade Away and Radiate
Jimmy sighs at the original news and as he is about to turn, he stops and leans in a little closer to Lina.  When she tells him to get Tim he holds up a hand.

"Let me get the full story before I fetch.."

He gets a bit more, then looks around for Tim... he can't be far.

"Tim!  Lina has some traffic!  Looks like our support may need support!"