Meeting with the Dawn (in the past, couple days before)   Posted by Mr. Main.Group: 0
Mr. Main
 GM, 421 posts
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 00:57
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
tamalie and morien

"Could have been, but it wasn't. People kill each other all the time with all sorts of things. It's not my job to keep track. What I do care about is business; paladins, murders and victims aren't any of mine. You're learning a valuable lesson here Alice or at least a costly one anyway. Don't go out on a limb for people if there is no reward. Was all this useless talking and emotional pleas worth your job? they've got a little over a minute left, better hope they make it count."


aden and dustil

"That's quite some tale fella. I oversee Martin and Kern's shipping through Arcadia and I can tell ya that we don't have or sell Zsasz knives. Not much profit in them really. They're rare and a good collectors item, but the effort that goes into finding one and convincing it's owner to sell it is usually cost prohibitive. Plus a lot of people who do have them keep quiet about it. There's a bit of a stigma when it comes to owning one. Well for those who know about them anyway. Also tracking down a specific owner can be real tough. There are well over a hundred of them total and who knows how many counterfeits and copies. I think you might be better off trying to track down vicious crazies than you would Zsasz knives. do you know if this girl was specifically targeted or just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Morien
 player, 213 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 03:24
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
 Morien laughed. It sounded almost genuine until he stopped. "Our friend asked us not to reveal his name... something I am quite comfortable doing for those who are willing to help out.

 Truth be told, it doesn't matter who sent us... because if you DON'T help out, it'll be YOUR name we bring back to the town guard for trying to protect a murderer. Either way, we will be learning whether or not you have the knife and, if you don't, who has it now.

 If all you care about is business, then surely you realise that having the town guard sifting through everything you possess for several days will severely hurt your profits. My offer still stands, the deposit price for the knife, 75 gold... and if you have it, you never see or hear from us again."


02:43, Today: Morien rolled 16 using 1d20+12. intimidate (hero point reroll).
02:42, Today: Morien rolled 18 using 1d20+12. intimidate.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:44, Sun 13 Jan 2013.

Aden Bero
 player, 292 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 05:29
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
"We're not sure.  We have a friend that is similar to the description of the female victim.  We're considering letting her act as bait, but...we're obviously hesitant."  Aden paused for a few seconds, finding his point.

"You mentioned a stigma associated with the knives.  A curse or something?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 422 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 22:39
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
tamlie and morien

"Go ahead, call the guard. If you somehow manage to convince them to disrupt my business with your nonsense I'll be impressed. And then I'll spend a large amount of time and money making sure that everyone associated with you is ruined financially. What ever debts there are I'll buy them up and increase interest rates. What ever buildings they live in or use I'll buy up and either increase the rent or just straight kick them out. I'll make sure anyone who deals with them understands that to continue to do so will greatly hurt their profits. You are not the only one who can threaten people. They've got 30 seconds left. It's a shame too. Up till now you were showing such promise Alice. Hope you can find another job that pays as well so you can support that poor large family of yours. Well you could try a brothel. A pretty young whore can make a lot. So long as she doesn't catch the eye of someone particularly mean anyway. I hear they often will cut the faces of girls they like up. Makes them cheaper you see." Alice has gathered up her things and though she has small pleasant smile on her face you can tell it's just a mask. Barely keeping back the her anxiety, fear, regret and many other emotions.

OOc: I'll give each of you one last word and then your time's up.

aden and dustil

"A curse? No nothing like that. These knives are just distasteful. Either you want them because you want the best weapon for murder you can find, which makes you a vicious bastard. Or you are intrigued by the history, which makes you a little off and creepy."
Tamalie
 player, 169 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 03:56
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Disgusted, Tamalie quickly says, "You're terrible! I cannot believe that you are so..so..mean! Ahhhh!"

Breathing heavily, she looks to Alice, and then back to Kyle, You're threatening a poor woman because you don't want to spend two minutes trying to help someone. Who does that? I cannot believe you'd be willing to think that Arcadian citizens would put up with that. I will work twice as hard to earn coin for this poor woman, she points at Alice, "just so she can quit right now. It must be horrible working for you. You're a bad man. We came to stop a murderer, and you think that's inconvenient enough to not want to waste two minutes of your time, but important enough to threaten ruining my life and those around me? You know what, keep your stupid knife, keep your stupid threats, and go eat your stupid hat!"

Walking over to Alice, she tries to put an arm around her, and hug her close, saying, "I'm so sorry for what this must be for you. How can you work for this man? Has he threatened you? Do you need help?"
Morien
 player, 215 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 04:38
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
 There were several things that ran through Morien's head at that moment. Chief among them was that this bastard was probably right. The Town Guard would do nothing to this man... he had too much money. The rage at what he had said built within him. He wanted nothing more than to pull out his sword and butcher this damnable merchant right now... but that would only make him a criminal in front of two witnesses.

 He said nothing. Anything he said at this point would only worsen the situation. Instead he walked out and waited for the girl and Tamalie to exit.
Mr. Main
 GM, 423 posts
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 05:11
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
tamlie and morien

the man laughs. "You harass my employee into making me waste my time with your overly emotional naive pleas regarding some asinine theory that you can't provide any evidence for or even a compelling incentive for me to cooperate. Then on top of that your friend there tries to intimidate me in my own store. Leave and don't come back. I will never do business with either of you."

as you try to hug Alice the young woman pushes you away. "Please just leave me alone. I'll take care of my own problems and considering the way you've handled this I really don't want you trying to help me."

She then turns to face Mr Luther. "I'm sorry for the trouble. Good day." Alice then shows you to the door. As she starts to close it Mr Luther speaks up.

"I hope you've learned your lesson Alice. I'm docking your pay for the day. I allow my employees one mistake only. Next time you really are fired. Be ten minutes early tomorrow. Apparently you need more instruction on how to handle customers."

Alice closes and locks the door behind Tamlie.
Tamalie
 player, 170 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 05:34
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Furious, Tamalie considers attempting to talk with the woman, but clearly Alice is trapped in thes working relationship.


Locked outside, she sees Morien waiting nearby, and mentions with some anger in her voice, "What a horrible, horrible man. What kind of boss he must be to work for, I feel so bad for Alice. It must be unbearable for the woman."

Looking back at the building, she wonders out loud, "He must be in league with the murderer in order to take so much offense at being questioned...." When the words left her mouth, Tamalie wasn't really thinking, more venting. But with the idea verbalized, she considers, "That was rather odd how he reacted to being asked about a knife, wasn't it? Do you think he knows who the murderer might be?" She asks of Morien.

"What should we do now?"
Morien
 player, 216 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 06:13
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
 Morien clenched his fists. He was looking at the ground. "You should go home and stay off the streets at night until the proper authorities find this guy. I'm going back to the Inn."
Dustil Kraye
 player, 244 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 14:39
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Dustil had stayed quiet letting Aden do his thing as the better talker. But he was listening intently. This was a bit more clarification then they had had before on the knives, though not much. And he didn't think the man was lying, so at least they could rule out this shop.

"Do you know of anyone in town who MIGHT sell those types of weapons and collector items?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 424 posts
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 01:39
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Aden and Dustil

"Not really. You could try someone from Dominus trading. If you want something and it can be found in Arcadia they'll find a way to sell it to you. I hate to say it, but this is a needle in a haystack situation. Except you can't just set the haystack on fire to get to the needle. Zsasz lived in Arcadia while he was making these knives. If any city is going to have a bunch of 'em it'd be this one."
Tamalie
 player, 171 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 03:54
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Shaking her head 'no' at Morien, she points out, "I'm not going home."

Walking with her friend, she's still fuming about Kyle, and vents about what a vile, disgusting man he is, and starts to speak about how he's likely to be connected to the murderer. It's all made up, but she's venting.


She looks to get back to Drunken Monkey Tavern.
Morien
 player, 217 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 04:13
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
 Morien remained silent while Tamalie vents and escorts her back to the Monkey... but he does not enter. Instead, he half turns. "Tamalie. Do whatever you feel you need to do but make sure to travel with someone at night."


 Then, as if to counteract his own advice, he walks off toward the inn where he'd been staying.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 245 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 04:25
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Dustil's eyebrows shot up at the last 2 statements. "He DID?? Do you know where he made them?" It was likely a stupid idea or at least a long shot, but maybe someone had found a stash of the weapons where they were made.
Mr. Main
 GM, 425 posts
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 15:32
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Aden and dustil

"Yeah, everyone knows. Well everyone who was alive and around then anyway. It was only a score or so years ago so there are a bunch. It's the desolate vacant lot not to far from the docks. Several families of the victims banded together after he was caught and executed. They bought the lot and razed it to the ground. It's been left empty ever since. The group still owns it. they try to raise money to buy Zsasz knives so they can destroy them and maintain that lot as it is as a kinda memorial. So far they've only be able to buy and destroy two."
Aden Bero
 player, 294 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Fri 18 Jan 2013
at 15:03
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
"Any idea how we could get in touch with this group?"  Aden is about out of questions.  Perhaps a trip down to this lot would be worth it, be he figured they should meet up with the others.  If Dustil doesn't have any more questions, Aden gets more specific directions to the vacant lot, and thanks the man, excusing themselves.

He was ready to meet up with the others at the Monkey, if Dustil was.
Mr. Main
 GM, 426 posts
Fri 18 Jan 2013
at 21:44
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
"Not really. Never really bothered to get involved with them. They do regularly have fund raising drives. I'm sure you could catch one eventually if you looked or asked around."
Tamalie
 player, 172 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 04:20
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Thinking that strange Morien would leave her, she shakes her head, but says nothing. Walking into the Drunken Monkey, she looks for her friends, and also looks to see of the Cylithrea Goldenhair. She ask around if she doesn't see her friends first.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 246 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Sun 20 Jan 2013
at 01:12
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Dustil tried to keep the disappointment off of his face and nodded his thanks to the man. "We apologize for bothering you late at night. Please have a good rest of the evening."

Once outside he looked to Aden and shrugged. "I suppose we should go back to the bar."
Aden Bero
 player, 295 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Sun 20 Jan 2013
at 06:30
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
"Aye, thanks mate.  You've been a big help.  At the very least, we have a clearer idea how to focus our efforts."

He continues, a slight smile on his face. "If you ever need anything, we tend to congregate at the Drunken Monkey.  You can also find me at the Temple of Many Mysteries.  Peace be upon your home and business."

Once goodbyes were finished, Aden agreed with Dustil and returned to the Drunken Monkey.  He hoped to find Tamalie and Morien back at the bar waiting for them.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:30, Sun 20 Jan 2013.

Aden Bero
 player, 296 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 20:51
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Finding Tamalie and William back at the Drunken Monkey, they all swap tales.  Aden is slightly annoyed by the frost prince's disappearance, but focuses on the task at hand. "Tamalie, I'm starting to think the only way we locate this sicko is by..." The oracle didn't want to say it, but continued, "well, by letting you act as bait."  Aden said no more, because it was Tamalie's decision.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 248 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 20:21
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Dustil wasn't happy with that being the case, but he kept silent and watched Tamalie to see how she responded. He didn't want her in danger, but she WAS an adventurer and could handle herself. And theoretically, the rest of her companions wouldn't be too far away.
Tamalie
 player, 173 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 19:46
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
"Yea, I was thinking it could work."

She doesn't look disappointed, but she is throwing off some nervous vibes from the thought of being bait.

The druid does point out, "Morien told me about Cylithrea working here? I can hardly believe the chance of that, but I was hoping to talk to her too. See if she's ok, and what I might be able to do to help her feel a bit safer. But you know what else, me and Morien found this knife dealer was a complete fuddy duddy jerk. Didn't want us to see the Zsass knife that he had, and was really mad at us for asking about it. He threatened his employee with her job for bringing this up to him, and threatened me and Morien and our families if we ever gave him trouble about complaining to the City Watch about his business, and his behavior. Really nasty guy. We need to come back to him after we find the murderer. There's no way he's not doing other stuff that must be illegal and immoral. His name is Kyle Luther."

Letting them digest that for a second, she quickly shakes off her disgust at the knife collector, and asks, "What did you find out?"
Aden Bero
 player, 297 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Fri 1 Feb 2013
at 00:40
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
"Immoral and illegal are two different things, Tam.  It is kinda weird he wasn't willing to show you the knife though, after Morien offered to pay just for the viewing.  However, sounds like this guy was pretty annoyed with you both, so perhaps his refusal was more personal than business or nefarious.

"We didn't learn much, but it helped to narrow our search.  We spoke with the shipping manager for Martin and Kern, and he explained that these knives being bought and sold is pretty rare.  And such occasions are generally low-key, since the knives are so nefarious in nature.  Basically, he says lookin for the knife is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and suggested we track down the killer instead."

"He did mention the lot where Zsasz made these knives is down by the docks, empty And kept that way as a memorial to His victims by their families.  They try to raise money to purchase and destroy the knives, but so far have only gotten two."

"maybe they know something that might help us.  If this killer is trying to be a Zsasz copycat, maybe it's someone who was somehow connected with the original Zsasz...."

Tamalie
 player, 174 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 06:13
Re: Meeting with the Dawn
Listening, Tami is a little surprised by just how much him and Dustil found out. It seems like much more than she could find out, and she went to the city watch too.

"That's seems like a lot. You two did some fast work getting all that. I came back here hoping to see what we could figure out between all of us, but it still seems like we're just finding out what is already known to others."

Thinking a bit, she furrows her brow, and taps a couple fingers together to her thumb trying to formulate a plan. She asks, "Any connection between the victims? Is Cylithrea related in anyway to them?"