the test of wits.   Posted by Mr. Main.Group: 0
Mr. Main
 GM, 294 posts
Thu 25 Oct 2012
at 20:01
Re: the test of wits.
"Hi, you can call me Revi." the attractive male half-elf you are standing next to replies. He has a friendly smile and a casual open manner that makes him seem very likable and easy to talk to. "This is my first competition too. To be honest I didn't really want to compete in it, but a few...friends of mine convinced me it would be a valuable experience. So what do you think of the competition so far?"
Tamalie
 player, 118 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Fri 26 Oct 2012
at 03:38
Re: the test of wits.
"Oh sure. You don't want to be here." She smirks in her little sarcasm. "But so far, the excitement is wonderful. It feels like I'm sort of a famous wizard, or princess. Everyone is just so excited, and they are really going out of their way to make this seem larger than life. I really like the parade and the cart ride through the city. There were fireworks, and magic, and jugglers. Who doesn't like jugglers?"

Grinning wide, she asks, "What do you think we have to do here?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 297 posts
Fri 26 Oct 2012
at 03:55
Re: the test of wits.
"A wizard or a princess? why limit yourself? be both!" He replies. He then stretches a bit. "I wasn't to fond of the parade. Sitting out in the sun being yelled at by tens of thousands isn't really my idea of a good time. But, it certainly was a spectacle." he brushes a stray lock of hair away from his face. "Good question though. Not to sure. they said we have to take an item from someone. Guess we got to make a good show of it too or else why bother having the audience judge."
Tamalie
 player, 119 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Sat 27 Oct 2012
at 15:14
Re: the test of wits.
Nodding her head, the druid knows the audience will be involved, but she's not sure just how they can see everything that goes on yet. Maybe some illusions will relay the sights to the crowd, or possibly a select number of the crowd near the volunteer are judges. She doesn't know, and didn't want to ask so early before she listened to the rules some.

"Good luck Revi."
Mr. Main
 GM, 310 posts
Mon 29 Oct 2012
at 02:27
Re: the test of wits.
"Same to you Tam, you don't mind if I call you Tam do you?" revi replies.

the official then makes an announcement. "since a consensus could not be reached, lots were drawn to determine the order. Up first is Nova Spera, followed by thryka, urdrak, Arcadia, Elgavasa and forge town."

the volunteer entered the house. As the contestants from nova spera approached it the large planes of light suspended in the sky showed the house from several different angles and displayed several images from inside of it.

OOc: Will post how they approach the problem soon. feel free to chat, make comments, skill checks ect if you feel like it or get sudden inspiration ect.
Tamalie
 player, 126 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Wed 14 Nov 2012
at 03:13
Re: the test of wits.
Have wished her competition well, she waits with some excitement, glad to see she won't have to go first, and can watch a few others make their attempt first, and see how that goes. Truthfully, she's glad, because she's still a little stumped as to if she's supposed to just walk in and talk the person into giving up the token.
Mr. Main
 GM, 332 posts
Sat 17 Nov 2012
at 19:43
Re: the test of wits.
the two contestants from Nova Spera approached the illusionary house the man with the marker was in. the both were a little shorter than average with lean builds. One was a young man about 15-16, dark brown hair and eyes. He had a light tan of someone who spent time outside often but wasn't working in direct sunlight all day. He had a small nervous grin and was obviously anxious to get started. The other was a man in his late twenties to early thirties, olive skin, grey eyes and dirty blonde hair. Unlike his comrade he seemed completely relaxed and ready. the older one stooped down and started moving around the back of the house so that the man inside with the marker had his back to him. Meanwhile the younger one walked straight to the front door and then knocked... or at least tried to. His hand passed through the illusion. the audience chuckled a little bit and the young man, whose face was being displayed on many of the large rectangular planes of light floating in the sky. There are several of them all showing different views some outside the cabin, others inside. Ooc: think flat screen TVs. basically Illusion spells displaying exactly what the casters are seeing so that everyone in the audience can get a good look no matter where they are seated.

"excuse me, I'm coming in." the young man said as he walked through the door. the man with the emblem, though it was not currently visible, did not bother to get up. he stayed seated in his chair.

"can I help you young man?"

"yes, I would like that emblem you are keeping. would you please hand it over?"

"Just like that? you think all you have to do is ask for it? why should I give it to you? "

"Because I asked nicely. the others won't." As the young man spoke, the other member of his team slowly and carefully walked through the illusion. staying low and in the man's blind spot.

"Ha, some challenge this would be if that mattered. you suck at this. I don't see you or your team getting very far if that's the best you could come up with."

the young boy looked stricken "you're right I'm young and inexpereinced. ok so I'll lose this round. can you at least show it to me so I know what emblems look like for when we start hunting the others the rest of the week?"

"you think I'm an idiot? If I show it to you you'll just take it."

"I promise you I won't. You have my word."

"Alright..." the man reached into his pocket and produced the emblem. Just them the other member of team Nova Spera dashed forward from behind the man, tore the emblem out of his hands and dashed outside.

"you liar you said you won't take it!"

"I'm not a liar. I haven't touched the emblem yet." and with that the young man walked out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next was the representative from team Thryka. He is a Tall handsome human male in his mid twenties wearing dark midnight blue silk robes with all sorts of various runes and religious symbols on it. Though the robes are drape slightly loose and open. Allowing you to see that he has an impressive physique. Broad shoulders, muscular, but lean. It's the body of someone who takes great pride not only in his health, but being more fit than most people could hope to be. He has short spikey light brown hair and light green eyes. He is smiling displaying perfect white teeth, but somehow the smile doesn't seem all that friendly.

He walks up to the house, seems to mutter something and suddenly an inexplicable darkness fills the illusionary house. The man inside shouts taken by surprise. the large planes of showing the inside of the house all go black. the deepest darkest black you've ever seen. The competitor from team thryka walks right in unperturbed and a short while later walks about with the emblem in hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it was team urdraks turn. this time the competitor was another young man of about 18. he had black hair and eyes and dark hazelnut colored skin. He stopped and thought for a moment before walking in. before the man with the emblem could even say anything. team urdraks contestant didn't even give him time to speak. he kicked over his chair sat on top of him and went through his pockets until he found the emblem as the main tried to struggle free vainly. When he had what he wanted he walked out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
team Arcadia's turn....
Tamalie
 player, 127 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Sun 18 Nov 2012
at 23:58
Re: the test of wits.
Seeing the other contestants go first, she was surprised to see a simple bit of thuggery seems to be the most popular scenario.

She hurries to the door, wanting to take advantage of the time factor.
She saw the other pushing his hand through the door when he went to knock on it, so she doesn't waste time, and walks through it.

If she finds the man right away, she'll offer, "Hi, I'm Tamalie. What's your name?"

And if he offers his name, she'll use it, or address him this way if he doesn't give his name. "Hi ________. I can't help but notice that everyone is trying to hurt you, or steal from you. Could I offer my talents as a healer?"

This message was last edited by the player at 00:03, Mon 19 Nov 2012.

Mr. Main
 GM, 335 posts
Mon 19 Nov 2012
at 00:18
Re: the test of wits.
As tamalie walks in she sees the man standing with his chair riased over his head ready to strike.

"Great, if this wasn't humiliating enough, now they send a little girl...I'm not buying it. Healing HA! What you think being nice is going to get me to hand this over? I'm getting paid to do this girlie and for each one of you I manage to keep the emblem from I get a bonus. So I ain't handing it over easily."
Tamalie
 player, 128 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Mon 19 Nov 2012
at 03:32
Re: the test of wits.
Smiling at him, Tamalie offers, "Well, how much are you getting paid to keep the emblem? I don't want to beat you up, you don't want to get beat up, and you're doing this for money. So how much money? Would you take something other than money? Like, I'm really good at gardening. Do you have a farm nearby? I'm good at healing. Maybe not you who's hurt, but you have a family member that needs some help?"

Tamalie walks around, not trying to get closer that makes him nervous, and she points out, "I'm not going to attack you. That's called assault. I'm an Arcadian, born and raised here all my life. I'm not afraid of a little hard work, and that's just what civilized folk do. I'm kind of embarrassed by my competitors thinking that's how to deal with things. I hope you can accept not everyone is a thug."
Mr. Main
 GM, 337 posts
Mon 19 Nov 2012
at 23:18
Re: the test of wits.
"you want to buy it off me? fine. A hundred gold and it's yours."

OOC: make a sense motive check.
Tamalie
 player, 129 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Tue 20 Nov 2012
at 00:40
Re: the test of wits.
"A hundred gold? I'm okay with that. I'm assuming that you hid the emblem this time?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 339 posts
Tue 20 Nov 2012
at 01:08
Re: the test of wits.
"Of course I hid it. It's not safe on my person. the last few competitors proved that. You give me the gold now and then I'll tell you where it is."
Tamalie
 player, 130 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Tue 20 Nov 2012
at 03:18
Re: the test of wits.
"I'll pay you one hundred and twenty gold pieces for it. Twenty Arcadian gold pieces right now, and then I'll get you the other hundred after I have the emblem." Tamalie pulls at the coin pouch she has attached to her belt.
Mr. Main
 GM, 341 posts
Wed 21 Nov 2012
at 01:35
Re: the test of wits.
the man seems to think it over and then says "Alright deal, but you need to hand me the money first."
Tamalie
 player, 131 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Wed 21 Nov 2012
at 04:19
Re: the test of wits.
Opening up her coin purse, she counts out the twenty gold, and then walking closer to him, Tamalie offers with a smile. "I'm kind of glad we can deal with it in this manner. I mean, what else could I have done?"

She holds the gold coins out with one hand towards him, to drop into his hands, but getting closer, she asks, "You never hid it, did you? You still have it on you, right?" Smiling, she figures this is still the most civil way of handling without mugging him.
Mr. Main
 GM, 344 posts
Wed 21 Nov 2012
at 04:39
Re: the test of wits.
He takes the twenty gold. "Of course I hid it. I buried it in the sand just by the door. you walked over it as you came in.'
Tamalie
 player, 132 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Wed 21 Nov 2012
at 04:55
Re: the test of wits.
Figuring the guy was seemingly willing to be the other team's punching bag, she also realizes that if she had tried the same strategy, he could have held out the truth, and anyone else gone empty handed. And she even managed to point out a little insult against the earlier teams to boot for their heavy handedness.

"Really?" She asks in surprise. She moves over to the threshold, pointing to the spot she thinks he meant, and looks to him for support of her guessing with some kind of positive agreement or gesture. And then she'll scoop away at the sand, looking for it. Hoping to catch it quickly with her fingers in the sand.
Mr. Main
 GM, 347 posts
Wed 21 Nov 2012
at 14:46
Re: the test of wits.
tamalie does not have to dig for long. she finds the emblem pretty fast. Buried in the sand right where he said. In fact your almost surprised you had not noticed it before.
Tamalie
 player, 134 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Thu 22 Nov 2012
at 03:21
Re: the test of wits.
Gasping, Tamalie looks like she just caught hold of the last cookie in the cookie jar. And with a little shriek, Tamalie runs to the man, with arms open wide, looking to give him a hug, as she says, "Oh thank you! This is so exciting."

Taking another look at the emblem, she quickly stuffs it in her pocket. Then she asks, "You never answered my question, what was your name? I could still offer a little healing."
Mr. Main
 GM, 350 posts
Thu 22 Nov 2012
at 03:26
Re: the test of wits.
"It's Craig. I don't need healing, just the other hundred gold you owe me."
Tamalie
 player, 135 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Fri 23 Nov 2012
at 02:30
Re: the test of wits.
Nodding her head, the druid agrees, "Yes, okay Craig. Thank you. I'll wait for you after this is all over. Hopefully the next team will be civil too." She smiles at him, and then turns to leave.
Mr P
 GM, 19 posts
 'Dems the rules... good
 thing i make the rules
Mon 26 Nov 2012
at 15:15
Re: the test of wits.
Craig rubs his jaw as he plays with the small purse. He shrugs and mutters, "Somehow, I really doubt it. Where can I collect the rest, since I have your word? Right outside the stadium?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 373 posts
Tue 4 Dec 2012
at 01:41
Re: the test of wits.
After tamalie's reply  the next team to go was Elgavasa.

Revi and a short but well built human walked into the cottage. Craig was once again sitting in his chair. "Can I help you?"

the short well muscled human started to move forward in a menacing manner. Craig was clearly scared and gripped the edge of his chair. Revi put out a hand on his associates shoulder and stopped him. "no need. I know where he put it." Revi then walked forward and stopped right in front of Craig. "get up or don't, either way this will be over in a second." revi started to bend down and the man in the chair went to push revi away with one and and tried to grope for something under the chair with the other. Revi more agile and quicker than he looked kicked the chair over. spilling the man backward. he grabbed the emblem which had been stuck to the chair's underside and then walked out.

next up was forge town. rat stared at the illusionary house for a second and then tossed in a small black cylinder. it burst into a thin grey smoke and the man inside started to cough a little. rat walked inside.

"Give me the emblem and I'll give you the antidote. "

"Poison gas? No way you'd just walk into it yourself, I don't believe you."

"we don't breath."

craig starts coughing again. "Alright fine. here." he tosses rat the emblem which was being hidden in his boot this time. rat tosses him a small clear vial. and starts to walk out. craig drinks the vial and then shouts. "Murderer! that was water!" "And what you breathed in was only smoke."

After all is said and done. Officials head out and start asking the crowd to head out the points by cheering when they hear the team's name.

after about ten minutes the officials make their announcement.

"The crowd has declared team Thyrka the victors. team thyrka gets the 50 points for the victory and then another 10 for wowing the crowd. Next team nova spera get 15, team elgavasa gets 10 and team forge town also gets 10. Team arcadia gets 5 and team urdrak gets 0. Adrian Mvashti please step forward and claim your prize."

Adrian steps forward towards the officials. the crowd cheers and he turns towards them and waves. giving them a big smile, that seemed friendly but didn't really feel warm. A man walked into the area and headed towards the officials as well. He was a big man, seemed to be in his late 40s or early 50's. he was easily six and a half feet tall and powerfully built. If it wasn't for all the hair on his arms, the heavy stubble, his thinning dark gray hair and large amber eyes you would think he was a large statue carved out of marble.

he walks over the Adrian. "Now Brutus Dirklyn or Dominus trading will award his mystery prize to the victor."

"I know you Adrian Mvashti. More importantly I know what you want and what you need. But I'm going to offer you a choice. you can take any one of the items your fellow champions of the day passed on...or you can have what's ever in this box." brutus then pulls a small box from his pocket. it fits easily in the palm of his hand, but then again he also has big hands.

"So what's it going to be? What I would give you? What I think you need and deserve." How he said need and deserve didn't sound all that pleasant. "Or are you going to take your competitions leavings?"

Adrian seemed to be weighting his options for a minute and then he responded.

"I'll take your box."

"good man. Enjoy it. It should come in handy."
Tamalie
 player, 141 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Mon 10 Dec 2012
at 00:46
Re: the test of wits.
Nodding her head at Craig's suggestion of meeting outside the arena, She takes off, looking to watch with a bit of wonder at what is going on inside the house by the other teams, while also making her way to where her companions should be waiting.