Festival Day 2.   Posted by Mr P.Group: 0
Mr. Main
 GM, 820 posts
Mon 28 Jul 2014
at 23:36
Re: Festival Day 2
As the slot on the door is just about the slide shut a cane pokes out and stops it.

"But...fine." You hear a light grunt and then the wizened, jaundiced, wrinkly, liver spotted face of a bald old man appears.

"Listen young man this is simply not how one does business here. I appreciate the impatience and enthusiasm of youth, but the direct approach is not always the fastest or easiest. You would do well to learn that. This is a place that values discretion and subtlety. Declaring your goal and intentions for all the world to hear does just that. It's hard enough to plan and maneuver without others knowing how you are going to move. last time you where here why did you come? how did you get in? where did you meet with whoever you wanted to talk to." The old man's face is removed from the open slot and after a few seconds the doorman's reappears in it.

"If that's all please move on..."

OOC: last chance guys.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:08, Tue 29 July 2014.

Aden Bero
 player, 669 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
 Flame Juggler
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 01:03
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden looked to Morien.  The frozen warrior was the only one that had been here before, and he'd told them little enough about what might get them through the door.  Information?  Aden knew a little gossip regarding recent killers on the loose, and their murdered victims.  He wasn't sure that information was of much use here, and little more to offer.
Morien
 player, 461 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 08:00
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien's face turns stone cold but then he turns and starts to walk away... once he is around twenty feet away, he punches a wall in frustration.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:10, Tue 29 July 2014.

Aden Bero
 player, 670 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
 Flame Juggler
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 11:36
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden gives it one last shot in the dark.  "We know of a recent embarrassment to an extremely powerful family here in Arcadia.  And we know how to either accentuate that embarrassment, or use it to gain their favor."

He spoke of the sword they had taken off the bratty young noble during the race that qualified them to compete.  Martin & Kern had told them of the expense in crafting it, how not returning it would draw the ire of the merchant noble.  Surely the sword could be used for many purposes.  It was a bargaining chip, at the very least.
Mr. Main
 GM, 822 posts
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 21:18
Re: Festival Day 2
"Yer not the brightest bunch are ya? We don't want ta know what yer particular business is or who ya want ta do it with. I went out of my way ta say I remember faces not names and then the elder gentleman tried to enlighten ya even further. think a bit, maybe even sleep on it, and come back later once you've figured it out."
Dustil Kraye
 player, 582 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 21:33
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil shrugged and turned away from the door. He then began stepping back out into the night but stopped a little ways away for the rest to catch up to him. He deliberately kept his silence for the moment.
Aden Bero
 player, 671 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
 Flame Juggler
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 22:43
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden too was over it.  He turned away, ready to be moving on to something else.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 583 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 22:50
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil quietly muttered to Aden when the man stepped closer.  He let out a quiet and not-so-amused sounding chuckle.

He looked around. "Next target? Or Gauntlet?"
Morien
 player, 462 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 30 Jul 2014
at 07:08
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien stood in the road a few feet away rubbing the bridge of his nose between his thumb and two fingers. His shoulders were slumped forward. When the group approached, Morien spoke but he didn't look at the rest of the group. His voice was quiet, strained, and defeated. "Jayce... he was the one who brought me here after that fiasco with Luther. I learned much that day... but not how to get in."

 He paused for several long moments. "Jayce saved me after I was nearly killed in the streets... I was the last person to see him alive. He was working for someone as a guide to the city... and there's only one person I know of who might know who."

 Morien steals a brief glimpse at the door before turning back around.
Aden Bero
 player, 672 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
 Flame Juggler
Fri 1 Aug 2014
at 12:38
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden whispered back to Dustil, "Nah,I was tempted to throw a flash bomb through through the doorslit, myself."

To Morien, "Can you tell us exactly what happened when Jayce brought you here?"

"I suppose I'm ready for the gauntlet.  I could use a good sauna room, and a lava pit with swinging blades is the next best thing.  How do we plan to get past that minotaur?  Melee or stealth?  Fog, or anything that let's us get close or move around is definitely going to help.  Otherwise he's too quick and precise with that swinging ball and chain.

Yanyeeku
 player, 20 posts
Sat 2 Aug 2014
at 02:08
Re: Festival Day 2
"Actually, I might be able to get you past the minotaur." The bard smiled. "I have a few ways to help persuade it to let us pass. Failing that, I will ensure that it's going to be impaired, severely, in its attempts to fight us."

The iron fan was out and he was fanning himself lazily with it as he spoke, at least sounding somewhat confident in his skills.
Morien
 player, 463 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sat 2 Aug 2014
at 07:50
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien sighed as he took off his backpack. "He brought me here to lift my spirits, partially. Also, I think he wanted me to meet Mr. Dirklyn. This place is a... kvinnahus... a house of women. I learned about the emblems in the tournament here.

 Something has been gnawing at me, so I had hoped to see Mr. Dirklyn about it. Jayce said he was doing an easy job for a lot of money, serving as a tour guide for a rich man, possibly a noble..... the other thing that has been bothering me is the knife. I had hoped Mr. Dirklyn could commission something for me... something we could use to make certain that none of us are killed by the one that has been doing this."


 He unlatches the solid iron harpoon he's been carrying across his back this entire time. "Anyway, if all else fails, we can use this. It's what I bought it for."
Aden Bero
 player, 673 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
 Flame Juggler
Sat 2 Aug 2014
at 08:28
Re: Festival Day 2
"Yanyeeku, you're welcome to try.  Just remember this minotaur is a beast, and is super quick and deadly with that ball and chain." (it has combat reflexes, hence fog/smoke being helpful.  or if we could blind it.)

"A house of women, eh?" Aden looked a little regretful they hadn't gotten in, though he could usually find entertainment without having to pay.  And couldn't really afford to pay. This reminded him that he had a debt to collect with a certain red-haired fire sorceress.  "If you end up remembering how Jayce got you in, let us know. I guess they enjoy riddles. Maybe if we'd told them Jayce is dead...." Aden looked disgusted, remembering the murder scene from that morning.

"And yeah, the harpoon could help.  We've got to plunge it into the minotaur first though.  Then, as you said, I could heat the metal.  Tam's lightning would've been nice."
Morien
 player, 464 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sat 2 Aug 2014
at 09:33
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien sighed. Clearly the murder was weighing heavily on his mind. He looked off at nothing in particular. "I was actually thinking of using the spider webs in our favor. If we had a summonable creature, it would be best. Then we could tie the rope to the summon and stick the summon to the web, giving us enough room to get past him without the need to fight. Of course, then we lose the harpoon."
Dustil Kraye
 player, 585 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Sat 2 Aug 2014
at 13:45
Re: Festival Day 2
"S'alright. We'll figure out this place next time." Dustil thought for a moment. "Well, do we want me stayin' back this time, or goin' in toe t'toe again? I can try an' stun 'im, though I don't have many o'those left t'day an' he's resistant I think." He grinned and tapped his amulet. "I do, however, now have a shockin' surprise when I hit 'im."
Aden Bero
 player, 674 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
 Flame Juggler
Sat 2 Aug 2014
at 15:13
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden considered what both men said.  To Morien, he replied, "Can any of us cast summon spells?  And is the duration of the summon long enough? Is the summon strong enough to hold the rope while we, what, hold on and shimmy across?  What's the harpoon attached to while the summon holds the rope? And what prevents the minotaur from just unattaching the harpoon, or waiting by the exit to pulverize us as we're trying to get up from the webbing?"

To Dustil, he replied, smiling, "Sounds like you're ready to use your new toys.   I've got a few new tricks up my sleeve also."
Morien
 player, 465 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sun 3 Aug 2014
at 08:57
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien shrugged. "I have some summoning ability, you've seen it before... but my minions aren't strong enough to hold them by itself... which is why I suggested using the spider web. I can tie the rope to the summon and stick it to the web, forcing it to break the strength of the web before it can get loose.

 A minotaur is shaped like a human from the waist up. There is a spot on its back that, just like a person, it nearly impossible to reach. I have lousy aim, but you do not, Aden. If you can hit him dead in that spot, then he cannot pull the harpoon out. If we can lure him at least to 20ft from the edge, then we can tie my summon with enough slack taken up to prevent him from taking up the whole room.

 Then we have until the minotaur kills my minion to get past him... which is around six seconds."

Yanyeeku
 player, 21 posts
Sun 3 Aug 2014
at 12:44
Re: Festival Day 2
"He might be fast and tough, but I don't necessarily need to be nearby to engage in magical compulsion. What's his reach with his weapon?" He shrugged. "Unless he's strong of will, he won't be able to resist either. If it works, then he'll let us past. Otherwise I can buy us and the summon some extra time."
He tilted his head thoughtfully to the side, frowning slightly. "Failing that, I can ensure that he finds holding on to that weapon somewhat difficult. I can'd do anything to protect us unfortunately, most of my spells are to sabotage the enemy or are compulsions."
Morien
 player, 466 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 06:52
Re: Festival Day 2
 "He has a pretty significant reach, around 25 feet if I remember correctly."
Aden Bero
 player, 675 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
 Flame Juggler
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 15:05
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden continued, "the harpoon/summons should be a backup plan, because its complicated.  Yanyeeku, does the Minotaur have to see you, or just hear you to be entranced?  If he just has to hear you, then I recommend we smoke/fog the place out, you try to distract him while the rest of us sneak around.  That way we don't distract him from your performance."

Ooc: almost accidentally posted "or just head you to be entranced" :|
Yanyeeku
 player, 22 posts
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 16:27
Re: Festival Day 2
"Well we have a couple of options for me to try." He held up four fingers. "First is the option you were considering, entrancing him with my performance. Unfortunately doing so requires him to be able to both see and hear me; it's just as much about how you look as it is about how you sound. However, as you mentioned, you may end up distracting from the performance unfortunately." The first finger went down as he continued.

"Second, I can attempt to induce hysterical laughter into him. It will be difficult as humour can translate... Oddly between species. Of the three options, this is the least likely to succeed. However, if it does, it will completely incapacitate him for about twenty-four seconds." The second finger went down.

"Thirdly, and most likely to succeed... Is probably the most unpleasant option. I am capable of making him feel very very ill. Probably messily so. He'll still be able to move around, but I doubt he'll be up to doing anything else. This will also work for about the same time as the laughter. But if he blocks the pathway out, we'll still need to move him." The third finger went down and he hesitated.

"There's a fourth option, but it's not only the least effective, but still fairly unlikely to succeed. I can make his weapon slippery so he finds it difficult, if not impossible, to grasp." The fourth suggestion seemed almost to be an afterthought.

He tilted his head to the side again, thinking. "Do you know if he understood Common at all? Or what languages he could understand? If he can understand one that I know, I can just compel him to let us past. It is about as likely to be successful as making him sick is, but it would be the best option if it is open to us."
Aden Bero
 player, 677 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
 Flame Juggler
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 16:34
Re: Festival Day 2
"His common is excellent.  He seems like a bookworm....that can pulverize your entire body in seconds." Aden had the feeling Yanyeeku would be the MVP of the Minotaur encounter.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:35, Mon 04 Aug 2014.

Dustil Kraye
 player, 587 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 16:35
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil gave a nod. "He understands Common jus' fine. He spoke with us a bit before we fought actually."
Yanyeeku
 player, 24 posts
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 16:44
Re: Festival Day 2
"Then hopefully that will work. If all else fails, I can still provide support to increase your fighting prowess. With that, you will only need to be able to hear me to benefit from it." Yanyeeku realised quickly he'd need to point that out. Always good to have a backup plan. It hadn't occurred to him that the minotaur would be rather learned; someone like that could have stronger mental defences than expected.
Mr. Main
 GM, 831 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 23:27
Re: Festival Day 2
Having decided to leave emblem hunting for a bit the group resolves itself to tackle the gauntlet once more. So you head to the heart of Arcadia and tell the officials once more that you wish to attempt it. They blindfold you, lead you into a boat in one of the canals and take you to the secret entrance to the gauntlet...Continued in the gauntlet thread.