Festival Day 2.   Posted by Mr P.Group: 0
Morien
 player, 354 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Tue 10 Dec 2013
at 21:17
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien lets out a deep sigh and places a frigid hand on Aden's shoulder. Though the gesture was meant as friendly, the chill was extremely uncomfortable. He speaks in a quiet tone.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:20, Wed 11 Dec 2013.

Aden Bero
 player, 476 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Wed 11 Dec 2013
at 22:26
Re: Festival Day 2
Ahead in the distance, oracle of flame and champion of ice conversed. Aden took the chill of Morien's hand unflinchingly. The brash man ran hotter than most.
Morien
 player, 355 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Thu 12 Dec 2013
at 04:36
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien removed his hand and looked away.
Aden Bero
 player, 477 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Thu 12 Dec 2013
at 05:25
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden nodded at a pretty woman they passed as he conversed with Morien.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:27, Thu 12 Dec 2013.

Morien
 player, 356 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Thu 12 Dec 2013
at 07:49
Re: Festival Day 2
 PM
Dustil Kraye
 player, 414 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Thu 12 Dec 2013
at 14:54
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil gave both women reassuring squeezes. "Well, ladies. I do believe it is time fer us t'walk. Lean on me if you like, I am strong an' have enough fer both of you." Only after he said it did he realize that might be taken the wrong way. He stifled a sigh.

He helped Safia and Tamalie along (if allowed or needed), watching Aden and Morien up ahead. "Doncha jus' hate when yer friends don't confide in ya an' keep secrets? Shame, really." He made his tone sound nonchalant but on the inside he was anything but.
Mr. Main
 GM, 651 posts
Sat 14 Dec 2013
at 23:11
Re: Festival Day 2
Tio leads the group back to the Arena. The crowd is boisterous and it's hard to talk to each other over the cacophony of sound that hits you as you enter. Everyone seems to be talking, cheering, shouting booing and otherwise making some sort of noise.

  Today each team has it's own small box built into the wall surrounding the sandy field in the center. where they can watch what's happening and move easily out onto the field when it was their turn to compete. As soon as team Arcadia, the last of the teams to arrive, horns blare, gongs crash and their is a sudden nearly overwhelming eruption of light from over the center of the arena. Slowly the crowd quiets down and the Mayor stands.

"Welcome to the second day of the competition. Todays Event will not only test the competitors skills, courage and determination, but also their resourcefulness, cunning and luck. The teams must retrieve a particular item, a silver compass. It is guarded by the renown Black-sword Mercenaries. The teams shall attempt to retrieve it from them one at a time. The first team to succeed wins today's challenge. Team Arcadia, the overall winners from the first day of competitions, get to choose when they make their attempt, first last or any-time in between. All the other teams will then draw lots for their turns.

 After each attempt the Black-Swords are allowed an hour to make repairs, modifications and improvements to help them defend the compass. Each team, before they make their attempt gets to pick one prevailing condition. Then the Black-Swords also get to pick a condition. Conditions are field effects only. If the teams have any questions ask your reps. Team Arcadia you have ten minutes to decide when you would like to make your attempt. Once you have decided tell your rep and he will relay your decision to us. Good luck to all our competitors!"

Morien
 player, 357 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sun 15 Dec 2013
at 01:49
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien stood silent and somber, despite the fanfare and listened to the rules carefully before turning to Tio. "What are these prevailing conditions?"

 After the explanation, he looks at the rest of the group. "I suggest going second, that way they are somewhat tired and we can observe what tactics they use. Too late, though, and we risk losing the competition but if we go first, then we will be going up against an unknown foe."
Mr. Main
 GM, 652 posts
Sun 15 Dec 2013
at 02:09
Re: Festival Day 2
"Prevailing conditions are basically environmental ones. You can declare a time of day, you can ask for it to rain, be hot or cold, muddy ect.
Morien
 player, 358 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sun 15 Dec 2013
at 08:39
Re: Festival Day 2
 He gives a sideways look at Tamalie. "Can you call lightning on a clear day or do you need clouds?"

 He then looks at Aden. "You were already gone when I brought it back, but I found a harpoon made entirely of metal. With Dustil's grappling abilities, your throwing ability and ability to heat metal, combined with Tamalie's knack for pulling lightning out of the sky, I figured something like that would make a good fit.

 I bought it with the minotaur in mind, but some combination of it might be effective here."


 He paused for a moment before looking back at Tio. "So are we going to be limited to padded weapons and non-lethal spells again?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 653 posts
Sun 15 Dec 2013
at 13:42
Re: Festival Day 2
"No. This is real and some deaths are expected. They are taking this challenge very seriously. You can surrender at any time. They will not strike downed opponents and will allow medics to treat unconscious or heavily wounded foes and pull them from the Arena. You cannot see what they have constructed so far. It is veiled for the moment. Any changes they make between attempts will also be veiled. So pay close attention and take some time to observe them before moving in on your turn."
Dustil Kraye
 player, 415 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Sun 15 Dec 2013
at 16:59
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil thought it over after listening to the words. "Cloudy or rainy can be both a boon and a detriment to both sides." He gave a shrug of his shoulders. "I think I'm fine with going second. Hopefully the team that goes first isn't good enough to win."
Tamalie
 player, 307 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Tue 17 Dec 2013
at 03:33
Re: Festival Day 2
Nodding her head at Aden's question, she points out, "I think I should be fine for lightning at any time. Nature has always supported me before."

She a little surprised about the chance for death. But doesn't know what to say, or how to address it. The unknown does make her wonder if they will be overwhelmed, and going first, they may not be prepared. But going second, or later, may leave them without even a chance to succeed.

The prevailing point seems to go second, a slight compromise to the chance of not winning at all if the first team succeeds.

She asks, "Do we get to decide who goes first? Or just when we get to go?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 654 posts
Tue 17 Dec 2013
at 03:48
Re: Festival Day 2
You only get to decide when you make your attempt. the other teams draw lots to see when they go.
Safia
 player, 46 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Wed 18 Dec 2013
at 04:28
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil Kraye:
He helped Safia and Tamalie along (if allowed or needed), watching Aden and Morien up ahead. "Doncha jus' hate when yer friends don't confide in ya an' keep secrets? Shame, really." He made his tone sound nonchalant but on the inside he was anything but.

A small half-shrug of her lips was Safia’s reply, expressing mild accord. She didn’t like seeing Morien go off on his own, keeping his troubles to himself, but there could be any number of reasons why he chose to do so. She was of a mind to trust in his decisions, for she had not seen a reason why they should not. All the same, a sense of relief was had in watching Aden dash ahead to speak with Morien—reminding the Frost Lord he was not alone.

In the brief moments before they were immersed in an energetic crowd, the blare of horns, gongs gonging, and the Mayor addressing the masses, Safia reached out for Dustil and gave his arm a quick squeeze to convey her appreciation. She was truly glad for him and his offer of support. Her thoughts then turned to that of a silver compass, Black-sword Mercenaries, and when best to make their attempt at retrieval.

“I’m with majority on this,” she said, tossing out her vote. “First or second, either one has obvious advantages as well as drawbacks."

Since Morien had addressed Aden, Tamalie, and Dustil in regards to capabilities, Safia fell silent. She knew she had yet to prove her skills.
Morien
 player, 359 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 18 Dec 2013
at 04:36
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien put his fist to his chin. "And the compass... will someone be holding it or will it be placed somewhere? Are there specific rules regarding its acquisition or does one win simply by picking it up?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 656 posts
Wed 18 Dec 2013
at 04:47
Re: Festival Day 2
"Can't say. The black-swords are allowed to defend it as they see fit and they have not chosen to let anyone know what their strategy is. you must return to this box with it in order to win. simply picking it up is not enough."
Morien
 player, 360 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 18 Dec 2013
at 09:31
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien nods silently, deep in thought. "Then we will need to see which tactics they use before we come up with a plan."

OOC: I'm ready to skip ahead and watch whoever goes first.
Aden Bero
 player, 478 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Wed 18 Dec 2013
at 23:22
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden agrees with everyone else. He has a look of focused determination.
Tamalie
 player, 309 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 03:39
Re: Festival Day 2
Nodding her head slowly, Tamalie seems to feel that's the best idea, but she says her doubts anyway. "I just hope we don't give up a chance that they take advantage of. We can hope they aren't lucky. But if we play it right, we'll have a better idea of what might work."
Mr. Main
 GM, 661 posts
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 00:27
Re: Festival Day 2
The other teams draw lots and Team El Gavasa gets the first attempt. After a few moments one of their team members walks out into the ring as does a large half-orc. "What condition do you wish to call?" An offical asks. "Night." calls the member of team El Gavasa. The half orc seems to consider this for a bit and then says "Mud." The two walk away, back to their "corners" if you would.

 Suddenly the air in the arena ripples and the defenses of the Black-sword Mercs are revealed. In the center of the ring they constructed a small two story building. You could almost call it a cottage. Built 25-30 foot square. The first floor was made of stone and the second of wood. It had two windows and a door, all on the first floor. On either side, built so that if a line was drawn between them it would bisect the cottage diagonally, were two watch towers. Each had a "man" armed with some kind of crossbow. There were two armed men on either side of the only door and three patrol teams of two men and a dog spaced further out. That was what you could see. There might be more inside the cottage, but you could not see inside it. Perception checks if you want to make them. Tell me if you just looking generally or for something specific. gonna give you a moment to comment or reply before I post the rest.
Aden Bero
 player, 480 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 04:49
Re: Festival Day 2
"Look while you can, it's going dark soon."  Aden tried to get as good a look as he could on everything as soon as the defenses shimmered into view.  He tried to judge the distance of the watchtowers to the main structure, and the positioning of the three patrols.  He found a lot of thoughts competing for his attention, however. Jace and other outside factors weighed on the oracle.  He'd since loaded another pipe, and puffed away on the burning tobacco.

When the lights when out, if necessary, he'd slide down his visor and power it up.

22:38, Today: Aden Bero rolled 9 using 1d20+4. Perception.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 418 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 17:09
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil settled in to a crouch and waited. One of the teams was finally picked and stepped up. He listened to the conditions each group asked for and smiled slightly. "Not too shabby."

As soon as the arena was revealed, his eyes narrowed and he looked it over as quickly and carefully as he could. He took note of how many men there were and their positions. He looked for anything that stood out, especially hidden or concealed defenses.

"They told us the Black Swords can change things up between 'rounds', right?"

10:08, Today: Dustil Kraye rolled 13 using 1d20+10. Perception.
Morien
 player, 362 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 20:45
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien stood, arms crossed and watching. He took special note of what the guard towers were constructed of. From his experience in the battle royale, Morien had a rough idea of how strong at least one of Team El Gavasa's members was (and that member was likely the strongest in combat) so he would watch to see how easily they dealt with the mercenaries (getting Aden to describe it to him if at all possible).

 "Aden, do you still have those flasks of alchemist's fire?"

14:41, Today: Morien rolled 18 using 1d20+2. perception.
Tamalie
 player, 312 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Tue 31 Dec 2013
at 05:40
Re: Festival Day 2
"A fort? They built a fort?!" That really surprised her, but she questions, "They wouldn't be able to change that for the next round, could they?"

Wondering about the numbers of men. She suspects that most would hide inside, or take cover from a window or tower.