Festival Day 2.   Posted by Mr P.Group: 0
Safia
 player, 49 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Wed 1 Jan 2014
at 20:14
Re: Festival Day 2

Safia watched along with the others as the wood and stone defense of the Black-Sword Merc’s emerged. Strategies formed in her thoughts as she surveyed the scene—ideas on how to infiltrate and attain—but she pushed them aside for a moment, pondering further. They had been informed that their opponent would have an hour to alter their defense after each round. Once team El Gavasa failed (because that was the only outcome Safia was willing to entertain), how much could the Merc’s alter? If wood and stone could become other elements, she would have to re-think her plan of attack. There was one constant, however, and that was the Black-swords themselves.

It’s likely the compass is on their person. Safia shared her theory with her teammates, keeping her voice low. Even as she voiced her thoughts, she turned her scrutiny to the Black-swords in search of tell-tell signs. If the compass was on one of them, their mannerisms might reveal which one and where.

If the construct remains as wood and stone, I suggest we flush them out. Blue eyes flicked to Aden and then Morien, respectively. Would you be able to burn the top floor, turn it to ash? ...And then turn stone into an icebox? If we destroy their defense, we can bring the compass near enough to attain hand-to-hand. No defense to hide behind, just 5-to-1 on an even battleground. What do you think? Safia asked the last of all, looking for their input. Does it seem feasible? ...or too far-fetched?
Morien
 player, 363 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 1 Jan 2014
at 21:54
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien shook his head. "While I can draw the heat from an individual and the area around me is naturally cold, I have no ability to draw the heat from an area. Though I was thinking the same thing of the wooden structures. If we can burn the top floor and the guard towers, then we can contain them in the stone room... and perhaps flush them out with a smoke stick?
 ... or more alchemist's fire."

Aden Bero
 player, 481 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 01:35
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden replied, "I have 7 vials of alchemist fire, 3 pints of oil, and the glue bomb and flash bomb I took off that spoiled-brat Delmar. I can also cast burning hands and sound burst, which will help to flush them out.  We'll want to deal with the bowmen on the towers. Perhaps me laying down an obscuring must for cover will let us then pick them off."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:59, Thu 02 Jan 2014.

Dustil Kraye
 player, 419 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 01:45
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil listened and shrugged. "I'm also hard t'shoot sometimes. Especially if I get someone t'use a change o'my wand on me. I volunteer to be arrow bait."
Aden Bero
 player, 482 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 14:18
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden nodded at Dustil regarding the wand. "I'm pretty good at activating wands and things. Used to get in to trouble back in Sandpoint sneaking into the Academy headmaster's lab and playing with his things. He was having fun with my aunt in secret, so he indulged my curiosity and taught me a thing or two."
Mr P
 GM, 37 posts
 'Dems the rules... good
 thing i make the rules
Sat 4 Jan 2014
at 00:58
Re: Festival Day 2
The cloudy visage of Team Elgavasa appears before the spectators as the competitors huddle together just outside of the arenas environs. Their words seem muted but one of their number, a half elf that Dustil identifies as Revard Janos, starts to draw a small diagram of the Orc Camp. The smoke mutates to show the names of each of the competitors as they remain crouched together. Jack-a human who seems to be passively watching Revard at his sketch. His lack of weapons seems as strange as the tattoos that cover his arms. To the humans right, a huge bugbear identified as Thunk, begins to slowly sharpen his equally over sized axe. Crouched next to the Bugbear is another human meditating upon the ground holding a long slender pole affixed with a purple crystal. His name identifies him as Kern. The only member of the team who seems to be intent on discussing much with Revard is the illusionist Pically whom Tamalie seems to frown upon viewing.

The crowd begins to chant, "Elgavasa! Elgavasa!" as the team seems to finish their plans. The rather large Thunk of their team seems to laugh and the image of the team fades to smoke. It seems that they are about to assault the camp.
Tamalie
 player, 313 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Sat 4 Jan 2014
at 03:12
Re: Festival Day 2
"Oh boy." She comments once the smoke takes over to intensify the field of view.

"Now we just wait and see I guess. I hope we made the right decision, but in the end, it's a risk, and it could have gone wrong on any choice. So no regrets, okay?"

The druid looks to see how the others are reacting to the anticipation of the contest. She's excited, and fidgeting a bit.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:26, Sat 04 Jan 2014.

Dustil Kraye
 player, 420 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Sat 4 Jan 2014
at 17:19
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil always frowns as soon as he sees the team on the giant smoke screen. His eyes narrow a little bit. "Out of all the other teams, I really hope this one doesn't win." He folds his arms across his chest and watches.
Aden Bero
 player, 484 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 19:41
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden replies, his frown equally fervent, "Team Thryka's no better, if they're willing to include people like Adrian Mvashti."

"It doesn't matter though.  Out of all the teams, there's only one that's going to win... Arcadia!"
Despite a terrible start to the day, Aden obviously still considered himself team cheerleader.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:42, Mon 06 Jan 2014.

Morien
 player, 364 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 20:28
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien remained silent during the exchange, staring out at the battlefield. Despite his stoic posture, you could hear the slight clinking of his armor plates. His entire body was trembling. The air around him shimmered faintly for a second as a wave of dread washed over the surrounding area. It vanished as quickly as it began. The air felt as though something was locked within him, straining to get free.

 Suddenly, he broke his silence. "Tio, how far can we go when declaring a prevailing condition? Could we ask for windstorm or blizzard conditions, for example?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:17, Tue 07 Jan 2014.

Safia
 player, 50 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 03:42
Re: Festival Day 2

Safia’s mouth curved in a similar downward fashion as the others, though it was in response to Dustil serving himself up as arrow bait. The image that brought to mind was unsettling at best. Aden’s exuberance, however, pulled her focus back and she regarded the Oracle’s faith with a solemn nod. Team Arcadia would win.

They had to.

...For Jace.

As she lent an ear for Tio’s reply to Morien’s query, Safia’s attention returned to studying the strategy and defense of the Black Swords.
Mr. Main
 GM, 663 posts
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 12:45
Re: Festival Day 2
"Yes you can ask for a windstorm or a blizzard, the problem is a matter of intensity. Don't expect a full on typhoon or powerful blizzard. There are limits to what can be done. which were put into place for various reason or so I was told."
Aden Bero
 player, 485 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 19:44
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden tremored at the feeling Morien put off for a moment.  What in the hells....  He hoped they weren't losing their ally to whatever was going on within him.

He replied, after Tio, "What do you have in mind, Ice Bucket?  A blizzard or typhoon could hurt us as much as it helps. In fact, since our opponent has shelter and time to prepare, it could hurt us more."
Dustil Kraye
 player, 422 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 19:53
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil chuckled mirthlessly. "Not all of us are immune to cold or can see through smoke." He winked at Tamalie and Safia.
Aden Bero
 player, 486 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 20:49
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden smiled at Dustil, "Be glad, friend. Our abilities aren't without a steep price."
Morien
 player, 365 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 21:25
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien let out a deep breath, the sound reverberating like a sigh from the grave. He then drew in another deep breath. "Our group is mostly melee or spellcasters. With a windstorm or blizzard, we would not need to worry about arrows. Then, if they decided to take shelter, we could take measures to flush them out.

 Tamalie's lightning could demolish or set fire to the second floor, concentrating all of our opponents in a single area, priming them for a barrage of alchemist's fire. This is especially true of a blizzard.

 Of course, with limited intensity, my plan is only half as effective."

Dustil Kraye
 player, 423 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 22:26
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil looked at Morien with a puzzled frown. "Forgive me if this is stupid, but I don't have much experience with snow. Would not a blizzard cause problems for fires?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 665 posts
Wed 8 Jan 2014
at 00:15
Re: Festival Day 2
After about a minute of talking team Elgavasa steps onto the field and the center of the arena becoems pitch black with the only light being that of a Illusionary half moon. Soft gentle light shines forth from both windows though it's to far to see anything. And one of the three patrols seems to be making use of a hooded lantern. The other two are entirely invisible in the dark as are the guard towers.

That is until you look up at the illusionary display created by the arena's magics. IN that display you can see the positions of team Elgavasa and everyone not in the fort. The inside of the fort is not being displayed. "Only those not on the arena's floor can see that display so Team Elgavasa and the Black Sword Mercs cannot see what is displayed. Tio explains.

The three patrols seem to have an odd patrol pattern, occasionally changing direction or moving closer in towards the cottage or moving further out from it. Making it so that there is no set pattern to watch or exploit.

Team Elgavasa breaks up into three groups. Pically and Revard's images suddenly disappear. While Jack first covers himself in mud from the arena floor then slinks off on his own and Thunk and Kern slowly make their way towards the front door of the cottage.

OOC: ok part two coming up. breaking this up into parts as I post it to make it easier for me. feel free to comment amongst yourselves as you watch. which also will hopefully make this feel more like an event you are watching rather something you are just reading. 
Morien
 player, 366 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 8 Jan 2014
at 01:04
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien looked up at the display. He was splitting his attention as he spoke. "It could, but as long as we are careful then it won't matter. The idea is to smoke them out of their fort and into the blizzard where we have the advantage. The only fire we will truly need will be in a place unaffected by the blizzard."
Tamalie
 player, 315 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Thu 9 Jan 2014
at 04:33
Re: Festival Day 2
"The rain and mud might work for me too." Tamalie comments. "I can make good speed through the wet and mucky terrain. They wouldn't see me leave any trail, but we might see their tracks. Something to consider. Let's see how the team handles the rain themselves."
Aden Bero
 player, 487 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Sat 11 Jan 2014
at 01:48
Re: Festival Day 2
"Tio, if we do decide on cold weather, could you fetch us some warm clothing?  Strong winds will make it harder for us to cast spells. And winds or damp climate could effect my fire and fog spells' effectiveness. I'll make do with whatever fits our strategy best, however." Aden was pretty good with his weapons alone, but it'd be nice not to be limited.

OOC: don't forget concentration checks to cast spells in strong winds.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:48, Sat 11 Jan 2014.

Mr. Main
 GM, 667 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 02:12
Re: Festival Day 2
While Jack manages to silently slink his way closer to the cottage and Pically and Revard are nowhere to be seen. It does not take long for Thunk and Kern to be noticed by one of the patrols. The large black dog one two men of one of the patrol is leading suddenly stops and quickly orients in thunk and Kern's general direction letting out a loud bark.

"No. We can't provide you with anything once the main challenges for the day have begun. once they are over or even before sure, but once the games start we can't lift a finger to help you." Tio explains as you watch.

figuring that they have been noticed Thunk and Kern charge towards the cottage. The patrol with the dog that noticed the adventures intercepts them. one of the pair from the patrol lights some sort of flair illuminating the scene. the other moves forward to engage Kern as the dog lunges at Thunk. Thunk cleaves the poor animal in half with a single slash while Kern Blocks a slash from a guardsman. The other patrols move towards the commotion while the men on the tower turn towards the light. They hold their fire for the moment, but train their crossbows and wait.

Meanwhile jack uses the distraction to get approach one of the guard towers and start climb up the ladder to the top.

The other two patrols which are hurrying to the scene as the two other guards battle it out with thunk and kern. Kern drives the point of his crystal into one of the two guards thigh. He lets out a shout of pain and seems to almost wobble momentarily. Thunk Immediately pivots and bring his axe to bear, burying it in the man's back with such force that his axe crunches through the man's mid section, the tip protruding from his lower abdomen. thunk kicks the man off his axe and he falls limply to the ground. However the other guard makes thunk pay for turning his attention away. His longsword tears a gash in the bug-bears side.

still nothing can be seen of Pically or Revard. Jack manages to reach the top of the ladder and starts to climb onto the platform. The Orc manning the odd crossbow finally notices jack and charges him in an attempt to push him off the tower as he his gaining the platform. The Orc seems to succeed pushing the smaller man back and off the top. But jack grabs ahold of the orc and brings him off the end with him. They both fall, but before the end jack suddenly jerks to a stop while the orc continues his graceless fall to the ground. jack has some odd looking chain in his with a wicked looking scythe like blade in the end. the blade has been wrapped around a wooden post near the top. which is what stopped jack from falling all the way down.

 jack winces in obvious pain as he pulls himself to the top once more. He quickly swivels the crossbow and orients it on one of the two patrols nearing thunk and kern. He begins spinning a crack on the machines and looses five bolts in rapid succession. three miss, but two find their mark in one of the guards men one going into his side and the second his leg. the new wounds seem to hobble him as the dog continues rushing towards thunk and Kern while the second guard stops and drops to the ground while looking to see where the bolts came from.

Meanwhile thunk and Kern turn their on the remaining guard from the first patrol.  Thunk slashes out at him with his axe, the guard side steps and then blocks an attack by kern with his shield before thrusting at Thunk. The Bug-bear bats the sword away contemptuously with his arm as he steps forward and head butts the guard breaking the man's nose with a loud crunch and a spray of blood. Kern moves behind him and thrusts his crystal tipped spear like weapon into the man's back. The man gasps, coughing blood and then collapses.

 Thunk and Kern then charge the door and the two guards standing in front of it. A hail of bolts fly at them from the second guard tower, but only one manages to land on Kern. striking him in the right shoulder. It's enough to slow his his trhust enough for one of the guard to deflect it. That guard then moves forward to bring his flail down on the warrior's head. Kern however reacts fast. He draws a knife from his belt and slightly twists to the side. the flail falls heavily on his left shoulder as Kern drives the knife viciously down right where the shoulders meet the neck. (lots of crits this fight) dropping him.

 The other guard fares a bit better. He dodges Thunk's attack and slash back with a powerful two handed stroke from his halberd.  It just barely grazes thunk, but the bug-bear finally has had enough. He lets out a feral stream and attacks the man back with a low sweeping slash that literally cuts the man's legs out from under him.

 That's when the third patrol finally arrives from the far side. "rampage inside I'll handle these guys." Kern calls out as he moves to put himself between them and Thunk. Thunk quickly bashes his way in through the front door. the screens don't show what happens in side, but you hear some screams before suddenly Thunk is seen flying out from the window on the right side. He goes soaring a good ten feet past that before landing hard on the ground. As he starts to pick himself up a large Orc walks out of the ruins of The wall where the window once was. He has an odd black circle tattoo around one of his eyes.

 "Stand up. We're not done."


OOC: ok coming in on the end.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:45, Tue 21 Jan 2014.

Dustil Kraye
 player, 425 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 21 Jan 2014
at 23:17
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil grimaced as it looked like the rival team was making a good showing. He was worried that they might actually win. They showed some good stealth and tactics...on the other hand the combat was brutal and didn't seem very tactical except to draw attention away from the stealthy people. He still didn't see Revard and that worried him. His fists clenched a bit at his side, his eyes narrowed and he stared silently at the display.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:18, Tue 21 Jan 2014.

Aden Bero
 player, 488 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 04:24
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden watched everything with a combination of emotions, doing his best to note any detail that might give Team Arcadia an advantage. The battle that raged in the dark below was intense. And Team Elgavasa had yet to show their full strength.  Thunk and Kern were a deadly duo, for certain--the fury of the bugbear's rage made the oracle's eyes go wide.

They went wider still when that same bugbear was thrown through the wall from the second floor, crashing to the ground below.  When the large orc stepped out, Aden let out a whistle, wondering how his team was going to bring the thing down. Probably with some swords, fists, javelins, and lightning bolts.
Tamalie
 player, 316 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 04:37
Re: Festival Day 2
With so much tension and anticipation Tamalie assumes she's reading from everyone leaves her thinking she's not alone in wondering if they made the right decision. They appear to be doing well, and it's a rather violent display.

She watches intensely. But is drawn to lean in closer when she spots the half orc.

"Turgen? Hey! I know him." It's rather obvious that the Half Orc is pretty large and powerful, but Tamalie points out, "Oh, he's going to be really difficult to deal with. He's not just a big ball of muscle, he's pretty capable out there."