Festival Day 2.   Posted by Mr P.Group: 0
Morien
 player, 367 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 08:30
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien remains silent and stoic as he watches the match. Only the sight of fog briefly escaping his visor betrays that he is even breathing. He seems to have collected himself.

"Tamalie. Did you prepare a Jump spell today?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 670 posts
Tue 28 Jan 2014
at 23:29
Re: Festival Day 2
As Thunk Picks himself up Kern desperately tries to fight off three assailants.  the dog rushes up and chomps down on his calf. He skewers it with his crystal tipped spear only to be attacked from both sides by the guards who came with it. He manages to dodge one's long sword, but the other's morning star connects with a solid thump as it smashes into his side. Kern grimaces and grunts as he thrusts his weapon out. The guards ably deflects it with his shield. And once more they both press the attack on him from either side. This time he dodges the morning star, but the other guard manages to catch Kern with the tip of his blade. Kern is looking beaten and bloodly. He is obviously being pushed to his limit. It does not look like he'll last much longer.

Meanwhile Jack keeps up a rapid volley of bolts on the other patrol finishing off one of the men and keeping the other pinned down. the dog that was with them barks up at the top of the tower from it's base. Unable to do more to help it's trainers.

Revard and Pically still remain unseen.

Thunk gets up and with a feral scream charges the large Orc. The orc tries to parry, but he underestimated the Bug-bears strength and ferocity. Thunks Axe tears gouge through the warriors armor. splattering his blood across the ground and the wall of the cottage. The Orc's eyes narrow and drops his bastard sword. He grabs Thunk by the throat, slams him against the wall while ramming his knee into the bug-bears side at the same time. Caught in a grapple thunk struggles to use his axe before deciding it's useless and tries to break free, but the Orc keeps thunk pinned against the wall and pummels him.

Kern manages to stab his spear down into the thigh of one of his assailants, but even as he does so the other bears down on him landing another blow and forcing Kern to start to retreat away from the pair before he could finish the other off. Now the three of them watch each other warily looking for the best moment to strike.

Jack sick of the dogs barking stops his crossbow barrage long enough to form a large blade out of nowhere and toss it down at the dog. It strikes causing the dog to yelp and scurry away. taking the opportunity the pinned down guardsman makes a break for the tower and reaches it's base before Jack and get back to manning the crossbow. The guard starts to climb up and jack waits for him at the top.

Thunk and the Orc continue to struggle, it's close but the orc manages to maintain the upper hand as he repreated punches thunk in the stomach and slam his head against the stone wall of the cottage. as the fight wears on, both seemed to be taking damage, but thunk is clearly the one getting the worst of the exchanges. until suddenly  the orc lets out a cry and revard suddenly appears in view. His rapier sticking out of the orc's side.

 It's all the distraction thunk needs to break out as he shoves the large orc away. He takes a step back and goes to swing his axe, but the orc ducks inside behind the wall. as he does so a hail of crossbow bolts flies at the two members of team Elgavasa from the other guard tower. Revard and Thunk each taking a shot. With the orc guarding the hole in the wall and what threatens to be a continuous storm of bolts the two try and fall back to the other side of the cottage to regroup with Kern. As they round the corner a bright flare suddenly bursts into life in the air.

 Suddenly the screens focus on Pically who is now standing in his team's box. Looking smug. He is holding something small up in the air and waving it around. The crowd cheers. It seems like the attempt is over. then the mayor steps forward and his voice carries out over the crowd. "Team Elgavasa...Fails." the cheers suddenly stop and the crowds stunned silence is suddenly broken by the chuckling of the large Orc.

"Tricks are for Kids." he shouts. then lots of people rush into the arena floor. Many of them seem to be medics that are rushing to the wounded. team Elgavasa is escorted out and after all the dead and wounded are taken out the air shimmers and the cottage and all the remaining black swords vanish from sight.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 427 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Wed 29 Jan 2014
at 01:49
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil narrowed his eyes again as he watched. Things heated up quickly down in the 'games'. He assumed Revard and Pically were using invisibility, which is why they weren't seen. He watched carefully to how the mercenaries were reacting and the patterns they used to their attacks and movements.

He frowned when it looked like the other team had won but then his eyebrows shot upwards and his eyes widened as they were declared to have failed. "What? They failed?"

18:46, Today: Dustil Kraye rolled 26 using 1d20+10. Perception to see what is being held.
18:47, Today: Dustil Kraye rolled 21 using 1d20+8. Sense Motive - why they failed.

Morien
 player, 368 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 29 Jan 2014
at 04:56
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien watched passively as the attempt played out. Their did not seem to be many weaknesses in the Black Swords defenses.

22:54, Today: Morien rolled 17 using 1d20+2. sense motive.

22:54, Today: Morien rolled 17 using 1d20+2. perception.
Tamalie
 player, 317 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Sat 1 Feb 2014
at 05:32
Re: Festival Day 2
Breathing out, Tamalie knows that was a little unexpected, but she's glad they lost even if it's not immediately understood by everyone.

"From what I saw, I know it's possible to have thought it a good win for them, but let's just be grateful that they didn't win. Only problem now is that we have to face them, and they look positively savage. Let's hope that clerics and staff will be on the scene very quickly in the event something goes wrong."

Looking to her friends to see if they have anything to offer, she points out, "I think they stopped the event before someone got killed. It looked pretty violent out there."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:04, Sat 01 Feb 2014.

Morien
 player, 369 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sat 1 Feb 2014
at 06:48
Re: Festival Day 2
 "Actually, I'm not certain that's why. I get the feeling that it had something to do with the watch. I was actually planning on killing as many of them as I could and then searching the bodies for the watch, personally."
Aden Bero
 player, 489 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Sat 1 Feb 2014
at 15:46
Re: Festival Day 2
"Did they grab a decoy or something...?" Aden looked about, trying to get a sense for what the heck had just happened.

09:32, Today: Aden Bero rolled 16 using 1d20+4. sense motive.
09:32, Today: Aden Bero rolled 8 using 1d20+4. perception.
09:34, Today: Aden Bero rolled 7 using 1d20+2. untrained knowledge local. Orcs in society?


The oracle may be charismatic, athletic, and decently intelligent. And humble to boot. :) But perceptive and aware were not labels he'd often received.  Of course, in his defense, he had certain very annoying distractions that most other people weren't prone to.

Trusting his allies would think of the answers he couldn't, the fire haired man started stretching and checking his weapons and armor, making ready for the battle soon to come.

"We need to decide on what effect we want in the arena.  If you want me and Tam to be able to cast spells worth a damn, then calm weather is better than howling winds.  I can lay down a Sound Burst spell to help stun the mercenaries crowded around the entrance to the hut, as well as using a flash bomb."

"We're not exactly a stealthy group, but we can't just go charging in either. And if we don't have cover or darkness, those repeating crossbows are going to cause us major problems."


OOC: Can we get an idea of the layout of the battleground in terms of distances?  I'd also like a better idea of the range of the crossbows based on what we saw.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 428 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Sat 1 Feb 2014
at 19:11
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil frowned a bit in thought. "Crap. That's gonna make it harder. I think they grabbed the wrong item an' didn't realize it. We not only have t'get TO the item, but we have t'get the right one."

He sighed. "We need a good game plan. I can deflect arrows shot at me, but only one every couple a'seconds."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:13, Sat 01 Feb 2014.

Safia
 player, 51 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sun 2 Feb 2014
at 07:45
Re: Festival Day 2

It had, indeed, been violent out there. Safia couldn’t dispel Tamalie’s observation. She focused her thoughts, instead, on what strategy they should use in order to attain what Team Elgavasa had not. She replayed every move of the battle in her mind’s eye, searching for weakness. She sought to discern a chink in the Black Merc’s armor that would render them unable to defend the compass. Pure aggression had lost and what Elgavasa considered to be wit, seemed to be lacking. Whatever they had grabbed was clearly not the compass.

To Morien, she gave a small nod. “My thoughts were similar. The silver compass might be on their person, rather than a particular hiding spot. But which one carries it? Then again, perhaps they passed it off to one another during battle?”

Safia looked to the others with a small half-grin. “We could just ask nicely for them to hand over the silver compass. Save them a few more holes that will need patching. And spare Dustil the discomfort of offering himself up as a pin-cushion. If that doesn't work, then we go with Plan B. ...By chance, did anybody bring a satchel-full of poppy-laced meat for those dogs?”

Letting another set of canine jaws chomp down on her thigh was an experience she'd rather not revisit.

Safia rolled 12 using 1d20+2. Sense Motive.
Safia rolled 12 using 1d20+2. Perception.

Morien
 player, 370 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sun 2 Feb 2014
at 08:02
Re: Festival Day 2
 "I am aware of the penalties for spellcasting in a snowstorm. I am subject to them myself. However, there is a loophole to exploit."

 He points to the cabin. "The hut will block the wind in one direction. You and Tamalie need to retreat to the side without wind while Dustil takes out the only turret that can target you, assuming you can assist him with a jump spell.

 My function in this match will be crowd control. I have yet to reveal my powers because you have always been too close. Further, the powers I plan on using outside will not be stopped by the weather.

 Safia, I will need you to help guard Aden and Tamalie from any aggression that I cannot redirect. We need to protect our healers.

 Once I have cleared the way, Safia, Aden, and Tamalie, you will be able to enter the hut from the ground floor and Dustil, you will be able to enter from the top and attack from two sides. That will enable you to take on the orc in a 4 on 1 match. I will continue to fend off any dogs and soldiers until my powers fail me.

 I did not see any indication of it during the match, but I am almost willing to bet that the orc has the watch on his person."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:08, Sun 02 Feb 2014.

Aden Bero
 player, 491 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Sun 2 Feb 2014
at 16:29
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden smiled back at Safia, "No lass, you're getting your mercenary bands confused. It's the Red Swords that yield to an extremely polite foe.  The Black Swords cut out your sweet tongue and feed it back to you.  I kinda like my tongue where it is, as do a few ladies I know, so I'll think I'll just blast and stab any of these blokes that gets too close."

To Morien, Aden continued, "As excited and terrified as I am to see what creepy tricks you have up your sleeve, Ice Bucket, I'd feel more comfortable with you calling all the shots if you were a little bit more forthcoming about what you have planned.  Is the wind absolutely essential to what you've got in mind?  Without the wind, I can lay down one of my mist clouds, which is a safe place for us to retreat back to and regroup if necessary.  The wind will just blow it away though."
Tamalie
 player, 318 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Sun 2 Feb 2014
at 23:32
Re: Festival Day 2
Nodding her head with Aden's observation, Tamalie offers, "One of my spell defenses is a fog cloud. Haven't had to use it for a few days, but it's a staple of my defenses when numbers aren't on my side. I could cast it on their warriors, or maybe even a tower, preventing missiles from targeting clearly. I think I could distract the dogs, as long as they aren't too well trained."

She looks back to the field, trying to remember what else might be good. Turning back to her friends, she adds, "I suppose the best conditions for me might be to have lush plants and trees. Even heavy grass could serve as cover if we crawled about. At least better than just sand, or stone."

And then she adds, "I could cast a spider climb spell too. Walk right over the wall, maybe even right up to the archers in the tower. They wouldn't be expecting that if they figure the fog is just a distraction technique."
Safia
 player, 53 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Mon 3 Feb 2014
at 01:07
Re: Festival Day 2

Aden’s response elicited a soft sound of amusement from Safia. She couldn’t help but appreciate his confidence, if not be fleetingly distracted by it (by glancing at his tongue). Truly, she had been teasing about asking politely. Hacking and stabbing her way through the mercs was likely to be her approach as well. She was also in accord with the desire for more details in regards to Morien’s strategy, and gave a nod to indicate so.
Tamalie:
And then she adds, "I could cast a spider climb spell too. Walk right over the wall, maybe even right up to the archers in the tower. They wouldn't be expecting that if they figure the fog is just a distraction technique."

“That’s a rather brilliant idea, Tam.” Safia regarded her friend’s suggestion. “But you shouldn’t go alone. Are you able to cast the spell to allow for both of us to climb together?”
Morien
 player, 371 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Mon 3 Feb 2014
at 11:18
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien nodded. "Yes... assuming the wind is of great enough intensity. High winds and snowfall will compensate for our lack of stealth and the winds themselves are a superior defense against the crossbow bolts than your fog... that is, again, assuming we are granted the level of intensity I require. Even if it is not, with the combination of the heavy wind and snowfall, the blizzard should provide as much, if not more, protection from the crossbows than the fog.

 Our prevailing condition will force the mercenaries into melee combat. Three of us excel in that area, allowing us to control the flow of the battle while outside.

 Aden, you, Tamalie, and Safia will seek shelter from the storm while we are in the first stage. During this time Aden, you and Tamalie will be conserving your strength and Safia, you will be guarding them.

 Dustil will take out the turrets. While they will most likely be unable to target me, they will be able to target you three. Tamalie, use your spider climb spell on Dustil. It will allow him to move up the turrets more easily in the weather.

 Meanwhile, I will be attracting the attention of the ground troops. Once it is safe to do so, the three of you..."


 He points to Safia, Tamalie, and Aden, "Enter the fort and seek out the orc. It is my bet that he carries the watch. Dustil, you will be entering from the roof as soon as the other three do so. That will give us the advantage of numbers.

 Once inside, you will be able to use your fog cloud unhindered. This, combined with your ability to heat metal and heal, will make the fight very difficult for our target. Safia, this is why I need you to conserve your strength during the first phase. You will be spearheading the assault against the orc. Dustil and I will provide what support we can but I do not know the extent of the injuries we will suffer during the first stage.

 If our injuries are severe, Tamalie might need to break away from combat to heal us. I would prefer if Aden remained in a combat role due to his prowess with javelins."


 When laying out his plans, Morien's posture shifted into something that seemed more comfortable, more natural, as though this was his element. However, after a few seconds, he seemed to remember that he was addressing equals and not subordinates. "Of course, that is only my suggestion. If any of you have a different idea, I am open to suggestions.

 ...as far as tall grass goes..."


 He raised his hand. "...remember that the cold of my body kills plant matter and would give away the location of anyone near me."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:22, Mon 03 Feb 2014.

Aden Bero
 player, 492 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Mon 3 Feb 2014
at 12:51
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden nodded as their plans and suggestions started to coalesce. "It's not a bad plan, but I'm going to continue to play devil's advocate, Morien."

"Those crossbows probably have a pretty good range, just like any of their kind.  Perhaps not the most accurate at distance, but I bet between the two of them they easily cover the entire field.  They'll be shooting at all of us, including you, the moment we move into the open.  The night condition from the last round limited their range to darkvision, 60'-120' probably at most, or targets using light, so we didn't get to see their full effectiveness.  Don't make the mistake of downplaying how much they complicate our advance."

"How much cover your winds will provide, and how limited vision will be because of snowfall, is untested.  I'd feel more comfortable if we had a better idea of what to expect.  As established, a blizzard makes it more difficult for us to cast spells, which could be necessary to provide more utility, cover, or even offense if you can't distract all the patrols."

"The only place for us to take shelter on the field is against the hut.  We'd have to get there first, through the patrols you intend to deal with.  And that will only give us protection from one of the crossbows, meaning Dustil will need to have already dealt with the other should the winds and snow prove insufficient."

"Should the blizzard turn out to be more effective than not, that can also work against us.  Your plan has us spread out from one another.  If the winds howl and the horizon is limited due to precipitation, how are we to know how each other fares in our assignments?"

"I vote that we call for a condition of heavy fog.  I can see through it, directing our efforts.  The crossbows will be worthless.  We will have an advantage over our enemies, and we will still be able to cast spells without worry.  And we can stay reasonably close together to offer support to one another.  Your plan has us too spread out to assist should one of us bite off more than they can chew.  Fog still forces them to rely on melee, which you three are suited for.  And it still allows me to be the champion marksman that I am."
Aden struck a brief pose, as though firing a bow into the heavens.  He'd never fired a traditional bow in his life. "It does probably limit Tam's effectiveness though.  But it sounds like many of her spells are focused on utility, and she can still support with summons and close-ranged spells."

"But, I'm a well-established sucker for a foggy day, so perhaps there's something I'm missing in my little equation.  Tio, if we called for fog, would they be allowed to call for something that cancels it out, like wind.  Can one condition negate another?"

Dustil Kraye
 player, 429 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Mon 3 Feb 2014
at 15:19
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil listened quietly as the Morien and Aden threw out plans. Blizzard or Fog? Not very good choices for himself either way. HE couldn't see through fog and snow was harder to be stealthy and run on than normal ground. But he supposed both plans had their advantages and disadvantages. He waited to hear the answer to Aden's question before speaking.

One thing, however, pulled at him. "Morien, your plan calls fer you t'taken on the patrols by yerself, yeh? No offense, but havin' seen you in battle yesterday I'm not sure you can take those on by yerself."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:32, Mon 03 Feb 2014.

Mr. Main
 GM, 674 posts
Mon 3 Feb 2014
at 17:20
Re: Festival Day 2
"It is possible. It really comes down to the ingenuity of those involved. As you saw in the last match they could not undo the call for night and the one called jack used the mud to his advantage to try and hide his scent. So negating a blizzard would be hard. But for fog, they certainly could call for winds or bright sun. Though sun would take a while."
Dustil Kraye
 player, 430 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Mon 3 Feb 2014
at 17:47
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil smirked and spoke up to Tio. "I don't s'pose we can have THEM pick a condition first?" He let out a chuckle as he already knew the answer.
Aden Bero
 player, 493 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Mon 3 Feb 2014
at 18:23
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden nodded at Dustil, "That would certainly make things easier, but alas. So, we have a blizzard of questionable effectiveness, fog that can be countered with wind, forest-type terrain that slows everyone but Tam and maybe Morien down, and night that limits all of our vision except for me and my goggles.  Any other thoughts?"

"Whatever we choose, in my opinion, needs to give us protection from those crossbows.  So either night or forest seems like the best we've seen or suggested, considering we can't be certain what protection the blizzard will offer."

Dustil Kraye
 player, 431 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Mon 3 Feb 2014
at 18:27
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil piped up again. "Rainstorm? That'd give Tamalie the option fer lightning if she's got that spell in mind. Downpours should cut visibility some an' hinder crossbow shots." He shrugged, not having a good idea since all the options that came to mind made it just as difficult if not more so for his own team than the other team.
Tamalie
 player, 319 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Tue 4 Feb 2014
at 05:20
Re: Festival Day 2
Listening to all the ideas, Tamalie can't offer any suggestions as to which one she would agree with, but does point out, "I can have anyone person able to climb those towers. But to be sure, I don't need a rainstorm to cast my spells."

With that out of the way, she hopes that answers any thoughts about what she might be able to do.


"I only wanted the deep grass so that I could cast entangle on the foes. That would really restrict them from coming after us in melee. The idea of cover was only a secondary thought"

Feeling a little small and useless with everyone else coming up with battleplans, Tamalie looks around, seeing what everyone really wants to do, as she thinks they will be more effective in battle.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 432 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 4 Feb 2014
at 05:23
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil perked up at Tamalie. "Entangle? Hmmm...That's not a bad idea. If only Frosty didn't care so much 'bout wearin' the armor all the time, we could keep 'im outta the grass a bit. Or...well...if so long as Morrie stayed away from the places your spell was at, the entangle would stay in place, yah?"
Morien
 player, 372 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Tue 4 Feb 2014
at 06:26
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien sighed. "Well, these patrollers are neither heroes, minotaur, nor..."

 He sighed, letting his comment hang in the air before falling flat. "Besides... I have been holding back out of necessity. Yesterday's match required that I not kill anyone during combat. That limited my options quite a bit. Today I am under no such restriction.

 As for the crossbows, yes. I am well aware of how dangerous they can be. That is why I still think a blizzard would suit us best. At worst it will provide us with more cover than fog and at best will negate the crossbows entirely save against you three. That is why Dustil needs to take out the one turret that will be able to fire at you. The other turret is of little to no consequence, depending on the severity of the storm.

 That does leave lack of communication as a problem. However, if everyone does their part it should prove to be moot.

 Dustil, if you are not certain I can handle my end of the fight, then I would welcome your assistance after you bring down the turret. However, you must remain at least 30ft away from me.

 As for the grass... it still hinders my movement but it dies at my touch. Unfortunately, that is not a function of my armor, but rather of my flesh."

Aden Bero
 player, 495 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Tue 4 Feb 2014
at 22:55
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden suggested, "Unless anyone has some new ideas, we should open it up to a vote and be done with it.  I vote forest.  If that's not an option, I vote night."

"Tam, what kind of forest has limited undergrowth but extensive canopy cover and thick trunks to hide behind?  Ideally, our mobility on the ground won't be limited, but we'll have plenty of cover above and stuff blocking us from direct lines of turret fire."


OOC: Okay, so if forest is even an option, the "type" of forest may not be.  But here's Aden's attempt to identify what type of forest would be most ideal for the party's needs.

16:53, Today: Aden Bero rolled 10 using 1d20+2. untrained knowledge nature/geography?

Whether here or in OOC topic, put in your opinions you want considered and then, when ready, cast a vote for the battlefield condition you want us to pick.

Dustil Kraye
 player, 433 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 4 Feb 2014
at 23:46
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil looked at Morien a moment and then shrugged. He wasn't sure if the 'fighter' had an inflated opinion of himself or if he really was that good and hadn't shown all his abilities. It should an interesting sight.

"Of course, I'll help you....I help any who need it, especially a comrade-in-arms like yerself." He hesitated. "I'm torn. I don't like the idea o'splittin' us up, but I do see the value in takin' out targets like the archers t'help out the more valuable spellcasters among us. Both plans have merit an' flaws."

He glanced at Aden and nodded after a moment. "Forest. I s'pose it allows us t'climb an' keep outta reach o'the dogs. Do we have a way to....unscent ourselves?" He shrugged again. "So...If we choose forest, is there anythin' we can think of that they could choose t'negate that? O'course, even if it's allowed, I doubt it'll reach all the way t'the buildin' and towers they have...assumin' they don't re-do their fortifications for our round. Which means we'll still have some distance t'cross t'get to where we need t'be without gettin' shot, right?"