Festival Day 2.   Posted by Mr P.Group: 0
Morien
 player, 375 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Wed 5 Feb 2014
at 12:15
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien nods. "It is very unlikely that forest terrain will reach all the way to the fort. Even if it does, I am hard pressed to think of any magic that would create trees large enough to prevent crossbow fire.

 Understand, I dislike splitting up a small group like this as well. However, unless we do so, we stand a very good chance of getting pinned down. I would be grateful for any help I could get in weakening the patrols, but not at the expense of wasting our resources.

 It can be condensed down to the following:

 We need something to negate the crossbow fire. We need to take out the turrets unless we can pick a condition that can negate them entirely. We need to eliminate the patrols without reducing our effectiveness to the point that we can no longer effectively fight their leader."

Aden Bero
 player, 496 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Thu 6 Feb 2014
at 01:19
Re: Festival Day 2
"Tio, is forest terrain an option? If so, how thick can we expect it to be, and would it cover the entire field, including up to the fort and towers?"
Mr. Main
 GM, 675 posts
Thu 6 Feb 2014
at 01:41
Re: Festival Day 2
"I have no idea. They kept 'prevailing' conditions vague on purpose. If it isn't an option they'll tell you."
Aden Bero
 player, 497 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:36
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden thought for a moment, then conceded, "Alright, screw it. I don't care what we do.  Let's just kick some ass."  He hit his fists together, getting fired up.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 435 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 03:44
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil looked at each of his comrades quickly one by one. "So, just to clarify, forest first, but if that's not an option wind? Or was it blizzard?"

This message was last edited by the player at 03:44, Fri 07 Feb 2014.

Morien
 player, 376 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 05:11
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien's shoulders rose and fell as he sighed, grumbling under his breath.
Aden Bero
 player, 498 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Fri 7 Feb 2014
at 13:06
Re: Festival Day 2
"Forest, then blizzard." It sounded like neither really mattered to Aden. He had a dangerous look in his strange eyes, like a backdraft of raging fire, ready to be unleashed on their opponents. A moment ago he'd wanted to talk and plan 'til they turned to old men, but apparently that moment had passed. "I think it's best if we all stay pretty close to each other. Remember, we've got to find the compass, and bring it back. Does everyone else agree with Morien and say split up, or stick together?"
Tamalie
 player, 320 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Sun 9 Feb 2014
at 05:57
Re: Festival Day 2
With looking around at the field, and back at her companions, she wonders when they are going to be called up there to make their conditions known.

With Aden's last questions about splitting or staying together, the druid offers, "I'm always able to cast a spell to make sure there's something conjured near me to protect me, but you folk are a lot trustier than my spells. But I think if Morien can do more with a buffer distance away, that's good too. I've always seen armies go together as a group, but that doesn't work so well to stick so close when there are spells that target groups. What about spacing ourselves out. Close enough for voices to work, far enough that targeting one of us won't likely leave all of affected by the same counter spells, or area attacks. That's how I think when casting spells at least."
Morien
 player, 377 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sun 9 Feb 2014
at 07:37
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien sighed. "My plan requires that I draw as much attention, and thereby enemies, to myself as possible. The more I can gather in a group, the more damage I can inflict."
Mr. Main
 GM, 676 posts
Sun 9 Feb 2014
at 12:46
Re: Festival Day 2
"When the black swords have finished their repairs and modifications or their hour is up, is when you'll be asked to make your call."

OOC: so basically you guys have as long as you want to plan and discuss.
Aden Bero
 player, 499 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Sun 9 Feb 2014
at 16:53
Re: Festival Day 2
"Right, so you go 40 feet ahead of us and draw them to you. But we can still support you with ranged weapons and spells. If we support each other, then we're all more likely to make it to the fort and back with the compass. If we split up, we're each more likely to fall along the way. And remember, if we do split up, and you're unable to take out all the patrols, then they'll be able to come flank and trap us."

"If there were a time-limit, or if they didn't know we were coming, splitting up would make more sense. But under these curcumstances, I can't see the benefit."

Morien
 player, 378 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sun 9 Feb 2014
at 20:51
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien sighed as he pointed to the arena. "The benefit is crossbows. For us to make it safely to the fort, we need to take them out. To take them out, we need a distraction for the patrols. We can't achieve both goals if we are in a single group.

 Worse, if we don't have some form of prevailing condition that hinders or prevents crossbow firing, then we will need to disable both crossbows instead of just one.

 Also remember that you didn't see the benefit in forming into a group and standing our ground in the forest. Had it not been for Tarrin and The Smiler, we likely all would have been eaten!"


 Morien froze in place for a moment but then suddenly turned away. It was clear he had just said something he had not intended to say.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:09, Sun 09 Feb 2014.

Aden Bero
 player, 500 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 05:31
Re: Festival Day 2
"That's not how I remember it, Morien. I was all for forming up against those wolves, but I also thought we could find more advantageous terrain, which you agreed to. So you're saying because I fell for the same unexpected trap as everyone else, yourself included, that I'm forever banned from interjecting my opinions on tactics and strategy." The oracle laughed. "You're better off trying to freeze my lips together, Ice Bucket."

"We obviously both have very different opinions on the best strategy for this competition. Which is why we have three others who can vote, and the majority can decide what we do."

"Nobody disagrees that we have to take out the crossbows.  And yes, at some point we'll need to split up--to a degree--to accomplish that.  I just don't think we need to split up right from the beginning.  The strength of whatever condition we decide will remain unknown until the start of our round.  We may be able to create a lush forest that covers the entire field.  Or maybe not.  Just like we don't know how effective a blizzard will really be.  All I'm saying is that we don't have to be on opposite ends of the battlefield from each other to accomplish our goals."

"We can stay reasonably close together, so as not to hamper each other from being fully effective, but to support one another and be able to communicate and adapt as a group.  We'll make for one of the crossbow towers together, deal with it and any patrols that we run into, and then move on from there."

Morien
 player, 379 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 06:41
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien doesn't look at Aden, instead remaining turned away from the party. He remains silent for a time but, when he speaks, his voice has taken on a much more subdued tone. "I... apologize for my comment. It was uncalled for."

 He takes a deep breath. "If we are to use forest terrain, then we will need to approach from one side so that we will need only to deal with one at a time.

 We will need to take it out as quickly as possible... so we will need to split into two groups. One to stay on the ground and one to take out the turrets. That is the only way we will be able to enter the fort safely. The quicker we can do that, the safer we all will be.

 Afterwards, we can enter from the top and bottom or regroup and all of us enter from the bottom. So long as we can do so safely, then I am fine with the plan."

Dustil Kraye
 player, 436 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 03:26
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil looked back and forth between Aden and Morien. He hoped this wouldn't go any further and drive a wedge between the two. Solidarity was something the team needed. Possibly a clear-cut leader as well.

He looked at Tamalie and Safia. "Ladies? Your opinion on the plans? Or any suggestion?"
Aden Bero
 player, 501 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 03:27
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden nodded. "It's alright Morien.  We all lose our cooool from time to time.  Even armored snowmen." The juggler could never resist the obvious corny retort. "The rest sounds as good of a loose plan as anything."

Ice and Fire would always have their differences. But Morien was his teammate, and Aden wasn't one to hold a grudge for being obnoxious.  Because he also wasn't a hypocrite, and obnoxious was right up his alley.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:29, Wed 12 Feb 2014.

Tamalie
 player, 321 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Wed 12 Feb 2014
at 06:15
Re: Festival Day 2
"Seems reasonable that we can split up, and still be near enough to help each other out. I'm not going to pick a route that leads me straight into a battle. I don't want to be left alone though either. But I think it'd be dumb to go into this all bunched up. I'd vote splitting into groups of two or three."

Tamalie looks at the others hopefully. She's not a tactician by any means, and she hopes that made sense. She has a look of uncertainty even as she says it.
Aden Bero
 player, 502 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Thu 13 Feb 2014
at 17:54
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden suggest, "Perhaps this formation works: Morien in front, 40' ahead to draw in patrols. Dustil and Tam paired up, behind and about 20' to the left. Safia and me back, 20' to the right. That way were spread out, broken into pairs to support, and Morien doing his solo thing but close enough if he needs to fall back or us to move forward. When we near the turret tower, tam and Dustil see to it, and we hold position. Then either onto the next turret or fort. If we go with this, Dustil should be sure to disable the crossbow so one of the Mercs can't come behind and re-arm it. Thoughts?"
Tamalie
 player, 322 posts
 HP 19/27 AC 15
 F16 R14 W18
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 05:52
Re: Festival Day 2
Nodding here head, the druid likes Aden's idea, and offers, "Right, and I can cast that spiderclimb spell on Dustil. It's a good idea. Close enough for back up, far enough for not everyone being targeted at the same time."
Dustil Kraye
 player, 437 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 07:03
Re: Festival Day 2
Dustil gave a nod and a shrug again. "Sure. That sounds fine t'me. I'll do my best."
Morien
 player, 380 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 07:49
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien turns and nods. "Very well. Let us hope that the forest terrain will be sufficient to cover our advance."
Mr. Main
 GM, 678 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2014
at 14:15
Re: Festival Day 2
After your vigorous discussion the rest of the hour passes slowly. during this time much of the crowd leaves to eat, use the bathroom or simply move. though a few die hard fans sit in their seats and anxiously wait. Finally Tio waves your group forward
"Ok one of you must declare the condition as you set out into the ready area. and good luck"
Morien
 player, 381 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Cometh
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 08:04
Re: Festival Day 2
 Morien nods and strides out into the ready area. Once there and once the instruction has been given to declare the prevailing condition, Morien pauses for a long moment to look back at his team before responding. "Forest."
Aden Bero
 player, 503 posts
 Crazy Hair Mr. Clever
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 13:42
Re: Festival Day 2
Aden strides out behind Morien, ready to pair off with Safia.  He smiles and waves to the crowds.
Mr. Main
 GM, 680 posts
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 02:33
Re: Festival Day 2
Morien calls out your condition as you enter the arena. The crowd is obviously confused and erupts into a chaotic murmur of a myriad of conversations. and while that is going on a group of shadowy figures appear where the magic displaying what is happening on the field usually is. each one is a robed silhouette of a different color.

"What? forest? how is that a condition?"
"I think he meant forest terrain. as in the whole of the arena is one large forest."
"But is terrain a condition?"
"Why wouldn't it be? The black-swords called mud on the last attempt."
"that's different though it didn't obscure the whole of the arena."
"Night did. Part of this contest is coming up with something unexpected and using that to exploit a weakness or give you an advantage. It's clever. I like it."
"Of course you do, moss beard."
"That only happened once and it doesn't make me any less right."
"I agree."
"you've convinced me."
"It's to big of an effect I say no."
"makes it harder for the audience to see, I say no."
"It will delay the match start because of all the extra work we'll need to do. I say no."
 then they all turned to the last figure which had yet to speak.
"the scope is up to us and the black-swords can call a condition in response. I say yes. Black-swords what condition do you call?"

"That the forest be full of predators."

"Heh. See now doesn't that sound like fun for us?" the shapes the disappear and the arena floor starts shifting and shaking as an odd dark green haze starts to rise from the arena floor.

The match start will be delayed five minutes as the conditions are being enacted.