The Drunken Monkey.   Posted by Mr. Main.Group: 0
Safia
 player, 58 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Fri 26 Jun 2015
at 21:58
Re: The Drunken Monkey.

Paperwork—it had set a grumbly edge to her mood. With her hood pulled forward, blonde tresses tucked away within the fabric’s folds, Safia slipped into the side/back door of the Drunken Monkey. Her blue eyes scanned the room for Dustil, the one person who always made her feel better on the inside when she felt like growling at the world. In par with her day, Dustil was nowhere to be found.

Safia let out a puff of breath and turned toward the stairs, making her way up to Dustil’s room. She stood outside his door for a moment, knuckles poised to rap on wood. She hesitated, debating whether or not to ask him to accompany her to the Temple of the Divine. Would there be time before the next round of the games? She supposed there was only one way to find out. She knocked, hoping to see his smiling face.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 762 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Fri 26 Jun 2015
at 22:21
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Dustil shook his head, "No. That's not what we'd be doing. We'd be looking at getting some Emblems, and/or money, and/or information about the killer out there in exchange for giving some information....but not enough to allow them to beat the Gauntlet. And-"

There was a knock at his door. Dustil turned to look at the interruption to his sentence with a frown. But then he shrugged and walked over and opened it since he had friends with him he wasn't worried about who it might be.

That, however, didn't prepare him for who it was. A smile split his face and he nearly-yelled out, "SAFIA!" before he scooped her up in a tight hug, spinning her in to the room and setting her down. "Good t'see ya again, lady."
Safia
 player, 59 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sun 28 Jun 2015
at 20:44
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
In reply to Dustil Kraye (msg # 47):

A soft utterance escaped her as she was scooped, squeezed and spun, before being plunked down again. Her hood fell back in the process, leaving her standing there with mussy blonde hair and an uncommon smile. “It’s good to see you, too, Dustil.” Her words were rife with sincerity.

Safia noticed they weren’t alone.

“Hey, Aden.” She gave him the remnants of her smile. “Nice footwork with the gauntlet blades. I had no idea you could jump so high.”

The other, white-haired one received a glance and a nod, before she looked back to Dustil. She decided her business could wait. “What are you up to?"
Yanyeeku
 player, 156 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Sun 28 Jun 2015
at 21:14
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
"I kind of don't like giving out information on the gauntlet as it is. For all we know, what we give them will be exactly what they need to win the gauntlet." Yanyeeku had responded with the group, remaining silent as Dustil began his response. He was interrupted by knocking at the door, which was a surprise.

As the monk let in a hooded figure after an embrace, he blinked  in surprise. He soon got a name, but not much beyond that. Evidently the two were close friends though.
Safia
 player, 60 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sun 28 Jun 2015
at 23:26
Re: The Drunken Monkey.

Before Dustil replied, her gaze shifted briefly. Blue eyes found tawny, framed by short orange hair. She had been so preoccupied with thoughts of Jace, she hadn’t even noticed the one who tamed the minotaur. Her eyes flicked approvingly to the many daggers on his belt, then lifted in silent greeting.
Aden Bero
 player, 902 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Sun 28 Jun 2015
at 23:31
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Aden smiled back at Safia though there was a bit of sadness in his eyes.  The day had been extremely busy (felt like about a 1.5 years packed into a day), but the grisly death site of that poor kid Jace was still very much on Aden's mind.

"Hey Safia, thanks. I started training in acrobatics years ago, to add to my performances."  The performing juggler was far from a one-trick pony.  "Where ya been all day? Oh yeah, this is Yanyeeku and Drazgar.  The city brought them onto the team to fill out our ranks."

Aden looked to Dustil to fill in Safia on what they'd been discussing.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 763 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 18:18
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Dustil gave a nod to everyone and then looked back at Safia. "So. Are ya back on the team? And like Aden asked, where have ya been, pretty lady? We've missed you. An' with what's been goin' on, I'd like t'know whatcha been up to, an' if yer safe."
Safia
 player, 62 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 05:43
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
“I’m safe,” she replied to Dustil’s last question first, and couldn’t resist teasing her friend, “as long as you don’t lift me off the floor again.” Her attention shifted briefly to Yanyeeku and Drazgar. “It’s good to meet you in person,” she said, before looking back to Aden and Dustil.

A shadow of solemnity settled within eyes of blue. “I just left the guard headquarters before I came here. I was hoping to claim Jace’s things... hoping to find something within his personal effects that might lend a clue.” A small, frustrated sigh escaped her. “As it turns out, I have to fill out a bunch of forms and have someone at the Temple of the Divine perform a certified divination on me before they’ll release Jake’s things into my care. Of course, that’s only if I’m certified as divine, or something to that effect.  Before that, I spent the better part of the day at Hewitt’s Haven, studying mostly. I... I had to do something to make sense of what happened to Jace. I discovered more of the maniac who crafted the Zsasz knives. It was actually his own weapon that drove him mad, a self-inflicted wound that festered. There are people, descendants of victims, who seek out the remaining knives in order to destroy them. The last knives this Zsasz person made are more dangerous, as if they’re enchanted, but they’re not.” She looked to Aden.

“I don’t know if you already knew any of that, or if it even truly helps to find Jace’s killer, but there is something else... I could be wrong, but I think the killer is mimicking Zsasz’s madness in order to lure him out of the grave, to summon him. I don’t know if we’re dealing with a fanatic, some wretched, witless soul who sees this monster as a hero, or if this person has a specific reason to raise the evil dead. What I do know is that whoever killed Jace is an amateur caster, which is a very dangerous thing when it comes to ritual magic. ...I think Jace was murdered so horrifically in order to please Zsasz, to entice him to appear. What do you guys think? Have you found out anything while I was elsewhere?”

Safia didn’t bother to tell them that after studying, and before attempting to wade through ‘red tape’ at the guard headquarters, she had scouted out all of Jace’s past haunts—those that she knew of, anyway. But diplomacy wasn’t her thing, and she hadn’t had much luck in getting anyone to talk to her.
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 185 posts
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 16:25
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
In reply to Safia (msg # 53):

Draught looks Safia over.


Bright you seem to be, that should make our carousing lighter.
Aden Bero
 player, 903 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 17:26
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Aden answered, "Honestly, I hadn't considered the Zsasz copycat and Jace's murder were connected.  Today's been too busy to think, but it seems obvious." Aden caught Safia up on what they'd encountered so far....

page 18-19 of the Meeting with the Dawn Thread

With the radiant dawn, discussing our attempt to use Tamalie as bait to draw out the killer, getting info from the Black Seers, and speaking with the Zsasz Victim Family Foundation:
Aden Bero:
"Following up on Morien's account, Kyle Luther is a knife collector and vendor, and it turns out that he has a Zsasz knife in his stock.  Negotiations to see the knife went south.  We visited the memorial for the original Zsasz murders to see if we could find any trace or connection to the current killer, but turned up nothing."

"We then used Tamalie as bait, thought we found our killer, but it turned out to be a young mugger.  She suggested we try and ask around about new people in town, as no one from Arcadia would be foolish enough to murder a paladin. But, considering this city is swollen with newcomers for the games, it seems a pretty unlikely tactic."


To Morien, Aden inquired, "Care to shed some light on these contacts?" Why does the ice prince always have to be so secretive?? Aden thought.


Morien:
Morien half raises a hand before speaking. "There is something we can try... but there is a price to be paid."

 He remains silent for a few moments, as though struggling with whether or not he should give out this information. "Within Arcadia live five sisters, called the Blackfrost Seers. They know things, they see that which others cannot. They can help us... but they always demand a price."


Mr. Main:
"You think we want him any less? But, all the passion in the world doesn't change the facts. If we are lucky he's a deluded crazy psychopath. Then he'll pop up again targeting a similar victim and we can start to track him and hedge him in based upon the areas he prowls. If he isn't. Then there was a specific reason why he targeted this girl. He'll keep a low profile and wait for his chance to go after her again or he ran and is gone for good. Without any real information about the killer or a reason why this woman Cylithrea was targeted all we can do is wait for him to move again. Unless you have any ideas."


Mr. Main:
"Fortune tellers? I'm not going to belittle your beliefs, but I think we might need something more concrete then the ramblings of some soothsayers."

"Stephan, I don't see how this could hurt. The worst that happens is that they waste the time of our brave volunteers. If you truly feel they can give you a lead feel free to ask them. As for the memorial comity I'll send a letter to old Jaspar. He's one of the founder's and a friend of mine. I don't know what they can do, but if they can help they probably will."


Morien:
Morien sighed. "If we go to see them, we will need to bring Cylithrea or something that she owns, preferably something that carries a piece of her with it... like a hairbrush."

Morien:
"They have a tent on the outskirts of town, in an opening by the canal. We actually passed by it when we first entered the city by boat."

Morien:
"It may be best if we go to the organization that destroys these knives first though. Having a piece of a knife... or a whole knife for that matter... would work far better than Cylithea's brush.

 ... though I should warn you. Pay as much heed to which sister speaks as to what is said. Three sisters peer into time, past, present, and future. One hears lore now lost, and one finds that which needs be found."


 When he spoke the last, it sounded almost like something he recited from memory.

Mr. Main:
Percival sends an aide to get a quill, ink and paper. Once he has those he begins to write up the letter. He then seals it with the pommel of a small silver dagger. He then hands it over to one of you whoever is closet or indicates they want it.

<brown>"It looks like this debriefing is at it's end. Thank you for your assistance last night. though we did not lure the culprit out we appreciate the effort and enthusiasm. If you discover anything new please share it with us. If you'll excuse me."</brown. and with that the stern captain known as Stephan left.

OOC: Ok once I figure out what time it is exactly I'll be moving you along to meeting with the victim's memorial organization. if there is any last thing you wish to say or do with the pallies now is the time.


THE ZSASZ VICTIM FAMILY FOUNDATION

Mr. Main:
"Wish I could be of help, but once we destroy a knife the pieces are not kept. They are either entirely slagged, thrown into the river or reused to forge something else; usually construction material."

"A couple of the families may have kept pieces."

"I guess it's possible."

Mr. Main:
"Alright, we'll see if we have anything in our records that mentions any families keeping shards. Cally, start checking while I finish up here. Where can we send word to you if we find anything. this could take hours maybe longer."


We're basically waiting on the foundation to send word of someone that might have kept some pieces of a recoverd zsasz knife.
Safia
 player, 63 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sat 4 Jul 2015
at 04:16
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Bright you seem to be, that should make our carousing lighter.

“My intelligence does not determine the weight of another’s carousing,” she informed, her attention momentarily diverted by the Drow’s odd drivel. It was times like these in which Safia truly understood subjects of past research. Namely, that black-hearted and chaotic male drow are the most likely candidates for the life of a loner. “Riotously drunken merrymaking is determined by the fill of one’s cup and behavioral, temperamental, emotional and mental attributes of the drinker.”

The furrow in her brow remained as she turned to Aden. “Why wait on the Foundation?” she asked, putting forth an alternate plan to all in the room. “Come with me to the Temple of the Divine. If I receive a certified divination from them, then we can bring Jace’s things and Cylithrea, if she’s willing, to these Blackfrost Seer sisters. We might not have a piece of a Zsasz knife, but we would have items that were on Jace’s person when he was murdered in a ritualistic manner. Whatever price these sisters demand, I will give it to them if it helps us to find Jace’s killer.” ...or killers, she thought, recalling the brutality of the crime. “I only hope they’re not too terribly cryptic.”
Aden Bero
 player, 904 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 05:10
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Aden countered, "I don't want to waste time either, Safia.  However many culprits there are, I want them off the street fast.  But we may only have one shot with these Blackfrost Seers, so a little patience to have the items we need is probably worth it."

"The foundation made it sound like they should have some answers in less than a day for us.  And it's really late as it is.  Why don't we go to the temple tonight, but we can visit the seers tomorrow after we've checked in with the foundation?"

Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 186 posts
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 19:11
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
I wasn't talking about intelligence but maybe I was wrong about your personality.
Drazgar continues to eat, drink and sing.
Safia
 player, 64 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 20:34
Re: The Drunken Monkey.

“If you believe it best to wait on the Foundation’s reply before seeing the seers, I trust in that,” Safia replied, appreciating Aden’s acknowledgment of urgency as well as his patience. He was right, of course. “As for the temple, thank you. I don’t know what good it will do, but I feel better doing something.”

Safia gave the Drow a cursory frowning glance as he began to sing in the midst of conversation. Her mind more literal than most, acquainting ‘bright’ to intelligence was the closest she came to deciphering his earlier words. It wasn’t as though she was a lantern. Besides, what did brightness have to do with drunkenness? It simply didn’t calculate. Her gaze shifted to Dustil. “Will you join us?” She wasn't aware that her appearance had interrupted his earlier conversation, but it suddenly occurred to her that she had shown up unannounced. "Uh ...unless I am keeping you from something else?"
Aden Bero
 player, 905 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 23:11
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Aden caught Safia's confused glance at the drow, and smiled.  He understood the feeling.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 764 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 16:52
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Dustil rolled his eyes at Drazgar and shook his head slightly. When Safia looked at him asked him if he would join, he blinked a few times rapidly. "I'm sorry! I didn't realize! You must have taken a blow to the head recently." Then a grin split his face. "As if you have t'ASK, lady! I'd follow you in t'the jaws o'hell." He glanced at Aden and nodded with a smile as well. "Loyalty is sacred."

Then he paused and shrugged looking at everyone but Safia. "Okay, well, if yer not willin' t'even meet 'im, then let me go send a messenger before we go off on another path."
Aden Bero
 player, 906 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 18:54
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
I don't know Dustil.  It just seems a bad idea to go meeting with a rival team right this moment.  We're all pretty exhausted and used up from today's events.  What if this is all a ruse to lead us into an ambush or something.  Morien just got jumped last night.  And nothing your telling me is making me trust Revard Janos."
Dustil Kraye
 player, 765 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 19:52
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Dustil let out a laugh. "Oh I don't trust him even as far as I could throw him! I despise him!" But he stopped and took a breath, shaking his head. "It's not a trap. It's in a..." He looked for a word but then shrugged, "...'nice' establishment with a bouncer an' everythin'. But like I said, no skin off my nose, just an opportunity t'maybe make some money or get info on the murders."

He started to head out to send a message to Revard unless anyone else had something to say.
Safia
 player, 65 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 04:44
Re: The Drunken Monkey.

“What sort of information?” Safia inquired as Dustil began to step away. She discerned by both of the men’s words that a deal was on the table, one they were refusing. She wouldn't go against their decision, but curiosity needed sating. “What, exactly, did Janos say? What does his team want in return?”
Dustil Kraye
 player, 766 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 16:14
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Dustil waved a hand and nodded, stopping his movement towards the door. "That jackass is the leader of one o'the other teams, right? An' he wanted t'potentially buy information on the Gauntlet rooms he hasn't gotten to yet, an'/or the chance for us t'let his team go through the Gauntlet 'fore we do tomorrow.

He shrugged. "Actually, he wanted t'buy the information from me but I said I wouldn't do anythin' like that without the team involved."

He continued on, "He was willin' t'negotiate payment in money, emblems, an' tryin' t'set us up with people who should be able t'provide information on the murders. He said that he heard we were investigatin' the two rather grizzly murders an' that one of our own was attacked. He said while he didn't know any names personally he could set up a meeting with some unsavory characters who might be able t'point us in the right direction. So kinda vague."
Safia
 player, 66 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 22:00
Re: The Drunken Monkey.

“Decidedly vague,” Safia agreed, her brow arrowed over musing eyes. “I can understand the temptation. I would do near anything to bring Jace's killer to justice, but Aden is right,” she added, looking directly at Dustil. “Revard Janos cannot be trusted, not in the least. Besides, you guys have done exceptionally well in the Gauntlet. You shouldn't give up your lead, not when you're so close to getting through. I was actually reading some scrolls in regards to that and I'm looking forward to going through with you next time.”
Aden Bero
 player, 907 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Fri 10 Jul 2015
at 01:30
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
"Alright, it's settled then. Revard can hear all about the gauntlet as we're boasting of our victory over drinks.  Let's get on to the temple if we're doing it tonight.  Yanyeeku, Drazgar, you guys joining us?  I feel safer on the streets if we're together."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:31, Fri 10 July 2015.

Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 187 posts
Sat 11 Jul 2015
at 00:44
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Drazgar finishes his mug and looks at it disappointedly for a second then stands as he answers Aden's question.

Yes, I will join you. We are a team after all.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 767 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 18:35
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
Dustil went and sent a quick message to Revard that the team wasn't interested in his deal, not even enough to come hear the terms from him.
Yanyeeku
 player, 157 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 18:59
Re: The Drunken Monkey.
"I will join you. I'd rather not be on the streets alone either." The bard added after Drazgar.