Hewit's Haven.   Posted by Mr. Main.Group: 0
Aden Bero
 player, 875 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Tue 19 May 2015
at 13:04
Re: Hewit's Haven.
"We're going to drop by Martin&Kern first, see if they can work with us. What about you two?"
Dustil Kraye
 player, 753 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 19 May 2015
at 14:05
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Dustil gave a shrug as he handed over the 9 gold pieces. "Should we meet back at the Drunken Monkey or here? Or are we going t'pick this up tomorrow once you've got the scroll?"
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 169 posts
Tue 19 May 2015
at 14:26
Re: Hewit's Haven.
In reply to Dustil Kraye (msg # 34):

I vote the Drunken Monkey. I am getting sober here.
Drazgar hands over 9 gold as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:27, Tue 19 May 2015.

Aden Bero
 player, 876 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Tue 19 May 2015
at 23:03
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Aden looked at Yanyeeku.  "I'd rather us get this info tonight. We'll swing by the Monkey on our way back to see if you're there."
Yanyeeku
 player, 147 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Wed 20 May 2015
at 01:46
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Yanyeeku returned the  look from Aden, nodding. "Get it out of the way now, gives us something to sleep on for tomorrow."
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 170 posts
Wed 20 May 2015
at 02:27
Re: Hewit's Haven.
In reply to Yanyeeku (msg # 37):

Drawbar exits and heads back to the Monkey.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 754 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Wed 20 May 2015
at 02:45
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Dustil gave a shrug. "Sure, that's fine with me. Drinkin's always good." He tipped an imaginary hat to the Gnome from before on his way out. "Thanks again."
Yanyeeku
 player, 172 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Wed 14 Oct 2015
at 17:52
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Yanyeeku led the way back to the Haven, looking around cautiously. He remembered the warnings that had been given to him by the other team members when they met. He really didn't want to be ambushed if he could at all avoid it.
Mr. Main
 GM, 1116 posts
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 02:21
Re: Hewit's Haven.
The Hewit's Haven was quiet and most of the people who had been around earlier in the day had gone home. It was quite easy for yanyeeku to find a quiet table somewhere so he could begin his research.
Safia
 player, 106 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 05:10
Re: Hewit's Haven.

"I know several languages," Safia shared quietly as she slid into a seat beside Yanyeeku and shrugged out of her cloak, which she folded over the back of her chair. "Auran, Draconic, Elven, Giant, Goblin, and of course, Gnome." She added the last with a flicker of a smile and glanced about the library for her friend Hewitt. Not immediately finding him, she gave the whole of her attention back to Yanyeeku.

"Aden mentioned a scroll of comprehend languages, but if I can read the other scroll without using a spell, perhaps it can be saved for another purpose?"
Yanyeeku
 player, 175 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Tue 20 Oct 2015
at 00:36
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Yan unrolled the scroll as they sat down, peering at it, blinking slowly. "I do speak Draconic as well. As well as Sylvan, Elven and Celestial. Between us we may not need that scroll after all, but it will be good to keep it around. I can activate it without difficulty in the event it becomes necessary."
Safia
 player, 108 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Tue 20 Oct 2015
at 03:22
Re: Hewit's Haven.

"I agree," she said with a smile, pleased to learn that Yanyeeku shared a similar fondness for languages. "It might come in handy another time."

Safia studied the scroll for a good long while, opting for the gnome interpretation because it gave her an opportunity to further study the language of her friend, Hewitt. Besides, the draconic version seemed to be more complex, and the more she read, the more jumbled it became in her thoughts. It was simply too much information all at once. She needed to separate it, analyze one piece of the puzzle at a time and compare to what she knew of her teamís prior attempt to solve the final portion of the Gauntlet. She drew upon a focusing breath and began to pinpoint key elements of the scroll, voicing them softly as she did so.

"'Wherefore he made the world in the form of a globe, round as from a lathe, having its extremes in every direction equidistant from the centre, the most perfect and the most like itself of all figures; for he considered that the like is infinitely fairer than the unlike.

This entire compound he divided lengthways into two parts, which he joined to one another at the centre like the letter X, and bent them into a circular form, connecting them with themselves and each other at the point opposite to their original meeting-point; and, comprehending them in a uniform revolution upon the same axis, he made the one the outer and the other the inner circle. Now the motion of the outer circle he called the motion of the same, and the motion of the inner circle the motion of the other or diverse. The motion of the same he carried round by the side to the right, and the motion of the diverse diagonally to the left.

As Fire is to Air, Air is to Water. As Air is to Water, Water is to Earth.
'

I believe you guys were halfway there to solving this."
She paused and looked askance to Yanyeeku. "It was the final two pieces of the puzzle that were incorrectly placed. I believe it should be thus:

The Egg = Celestial Body (the heavens) = Dodecahedron (d12)

It is the centre, the inner circle and it's possible it may move in diverse motion to the outer circle once we place the elements, crystal shapes, and rune-pedestals in the room as follows:

Kindling = Fire = Tetrahedron (d4) = Alpha = North
Pinwheel = Air = Octahedron (d8) = Beta = East
Basin = Water = Icosahedron (d20) = Gamma = South
Bricks = Earth = Hexahedron (d6) = Delta (triangle rune) = West


What do you think?"

This message was last edited by the player at 03:23, Tue 20 Oct 2015.

Yanyeeku
 player, 176 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Tue 20 Oct 2015
at 03:55
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Yanyeeku nodded slowly as Safia explained her thoughts. "That... Actually matches up. It should work and if not, we'll have more information. Assuming elementals don't thrash us again."
Safia
 player, 110 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Wed 21 Oct 2015
at 03:07
Re: Hewit's Haven.

"Perhaps they attacked because they were conceived of the wrong elements," she mused in reply. "I'm terribly curious to know what the properly placed items will generate. I hope we have it right this time, that I didn't leave out a step."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:07, Wed 21 Oct 2015.

Yanyeeku
 player, 177 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Wed 21 Oct 2015
at 03:20
Re: Hewit's Haven.
"They were indeed likely attacking because we got their combinations wrong. And they combined into amalgamations of elements. Very exciting." His voice was dry as he let his explanation float in the air. <brown>"I'm hoping that's the final room, and that no-one else solves it. I will be incredibly unhappy if they have."<brown>
Safia
 player, 112 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sat 24 Oct 2015
at 01:23
Re: Hewit's Haven.

"Exciting?" she questioned with an arch of her brow, followed by a soft laugh. "Well I look forward to joining in the room's excitement this time around, but I hope it's followed by elation. I agree, it would be incredible to solve the final puzzle."

So saying, Safia cast an idle glance outward, looking for any lurkers that might have been near enough to overhear their musings on the scroll. But she yawned so mightily as she looked, her eyes watered and there wasn't much to see through the blur.

Perception: rolled 4 (Safia must be tired.)
Yanyeeku
 player, 178 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 17:55
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Yan chuckled quietly. "Perhaps we should finish up in here for now. You appear exhausted and I would like some rest before the games tomorrow." Much like Safia, he cast his eyes around for possible eavesdroppers but his own tiredness distracted him.

Perception: 13. Evidently neither of us should be left on watch.
Mr. Main
 GM, 1123 posts
Fri 30 Oct 2015
at 22:06
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Safia quick lookeda round and saw no one obviously snooping or anything suspicious. yanyeeku also checked and did not notice anyone either. There were a few people still in the library but they were a good distance away and reading. It looked like it was all clear as far as either of them could tell. That's when Safia heard a familiar voice.

"Here late again I see young lady. I hope you have not been so absorbed in your studies that you have forgotten to eat yet again. Saving this library and it's patrons from the thunderous rumbles of your ravenous stomach isn't easy on the budget." Hewit joked. The gnome walked over to the table carrying a fireless lantern of some sort.
Safia
 player, 113 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Wed 4 Nov 2015
at 04:41
Re: Hewit's Haven.

"Good evening, Hewitt. Iíll have you know, it only just started to rumble," she teased lightly in return, offering a warm smile for her friend. "Your ears are simply too keen."
Mr. Main
 GM, 1128 posts
Sat 7 Nov 2015
at 14:57
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Hewit moves closer and looks over the reading materials you have on the table "Ah, still working on that puzzle. Figure it out yet?"
Safia
 player, 114 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sat 7 Nov 2015
at 16:32
Re: Hewit's Haven.

"I think so," Safia replied, turning a musing look back to the parchment. "I pulled the main points into focus and set them in place as I believe they should be. Yet, I have a niggling feeling that I've missed a small, though important detail. Maybe it's just because it seemed so busy at first, too much information to sort; and then when it came to me, it seemed too simple. Like stumbling upon a hidden door that, instead of a way out, it becomes a trap." Or maybe she was just like an artist, never satisfied with their work.

Safia went on to share with Hewitt the same conclusion to the puzzle as she had explained to Yaneeku. (msg #44)

"I truly hope I have it right," she added. "I don't want to let the team down, and if we make it through this room of the Guantlet, I will feel as though I've redeemed myself for taking a reprieve from the games when they could have used my help."
Mr. Main
 GM, 1129 posts
Tue 10 Nov 2015
at 03:45
Re: Hewit's Haven.
"Team Arcadia is in the lead so I don't think anyone holds any grudges about you taking a little break. I've got to get back to my rounds, but if your stomach is still rumbling feel free to help yourself to some of the stew I have in my pot by my desk. You're friend is welcome to some as well." Hewit replied and then headed off.
Yanyeeku
 player, 179 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Tue 10 Nov 2015
at 03:47
Re: Hewit's Haven.
"I'm reasonably certain this should either be correct, or will bring us to the correct answer after a failed attempt." Yanyeeku attempted to assure her. "And with your assistance we will be better equipped to deal with any issues of a failure that we endured previously." He had nodded politely to Hewit in greeting. As the two had talked though, he felt he was intruding, he was about to excuse himself when Hewit left anyway.

"We should consider at least getting some rest soon as well." The bard commented. "We may want to tackle the Gauntlet as early as we can to prevent someone else getting there first."
Safia
 player, 117 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Fri 13 Nov 2015
at 03:36
Re: Hewit's Haven.

"Thanks, Hewitt," she said with a smile, grateful for his kind words and the offer of nourishment. She watched her friend walk away, then turned to Yaneeku. "Rest sounds good to me," she agreed. "But letís grab a bowl of stew on our way out. Youíll not find a tastier meal in a pot than Hewittís fixinís."

As they headed out, Safia lightly bumped her shoulder to Yaneekuís. "Hey," she said, smiling at him askance. "Thanks...for letting me help with the puzzle, and, you know...what you said back there, for having faith in me."
Yanyeeku
 player, 182 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Fri 13 Nov 2015
at 23:12
Re: Hewit's Haven.
Yanyeeku shrugged, but smiled slightly. "Not a problem. Fresh set of eyes is always good, and an extra sword arm will be helpful as well if combat erupts." He chuckled. "Plus it's nice to at least work with you. Of the team, you're the only one I haven't really worked with yet."