The Temple of the Divines.   Posted by Mr. Main.Group: 0
Mr. Main
 GM, 1074 posts
Mon 20 Jul 2015
at 01:56
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
"I never said it wasn't costly. Just the cheapest of the divination spells at my disposal. I'm sorry if how I phrased that misled you. 60 gold is the standard rate. I can give you a discount if you agree to assist the temple. I'm not entirely sure what other members might need done, but I am sure they can make use of someone talented enough to get onto the Arcadian team for the tourney. The man who showed you down here is Acolyte Anderson. He is in charge of many of the temples Charities. He is always understaffed. Otherwise you could seek out Father Miller. He is the head Administrator of the temple. I'm sure he could find some way to make use of you. How much of a discount are you looking for? Every gold you want off becomes another stamp on this card..." Johson then holds up a small card with spaces for stamps on both the front and back.

 "Once it is filled out you have paid off your Service. You'll just have to fill out this form stating that you promise to render said service. We can perform the divination and have you complete your service later. I'm sure I can trust a member of team Arcadia to not stiff the temple."
Safia
 player, 73 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Mon 20 Jul 2015
at 02:45
Re: The Temple of the Divines.

“Of course you can trust me,” Safia replied, a little surprised the acolyte had taken her up on the offer. After her earlier setback, she had expected another. “If you have any doubt, you could always ask me if I'm trustworthy while I’m in the Zone of Truth,” she teased lightly, flashing a smile.

Safia stepped forward to fill out the promissory form and hand it back to Acolyte Johnson. “Thank you. Your spells may be costly, but your kindness is more than fair. I will pay 55 gold now and I will seek out Acolyte Anderson after we are done here, to see how I might assist in order to fulfill my promise on the other 5 gold.”

She emptied her coin pouch on the counter and put 2 gold back, handing the 55 over to Acolyte Johnson. It was a hefty price, but Safia felt she was doing this for Jace. And he was worth it.




OOC: Giggling at the stamp card. Love it. :)
Dustil Kraye
 player, 769 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 21 Jul 2015
at 15:31
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
Dustil listened with a small frown. He shrugged at the price but his eyebrows shot up as Safia kind of setup a small stint of indentured servitude to the Temple to pay for it. He opened his mouth and then shut it after a second. It wasn't his place to stop her if she wanted to do so, he supposed, but he did say, "I can give you the 5 gold you're missing instead if you want, Saf."
Mr. Main
 GM, 1075 posts
Tue 21 Jul 2015
at 22:48
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
 Acolyte Johnson puts the the card down on the desk on the edge closest to Safia. "Your friend is prudent. Time is valuable. It might better suit you to be in debt to close associate rather than a large organization." He then stands up.

"If you would please stand over there." He points to a section of wall away from your friends.

"Once you are ready let me know and I will cast the zone of truth. You will willingly allow it to affect you and then we can begin. If you choose to resist it and succeed. You will be able to lie, but I have had some training in evaluating the veracity of other's claims. If I get the impression you are lying to me I will cast another spell and depending on the result of that spell you will pass of fail for telling the truth. If I feel the need to cast the second spell, but you refuse to pay for it you will fail. Understood?"
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 191 posts
Wed 22 Jul 2015
at 05:24
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
In reply to Mr. Main (msg # 18):

Drazgar stops dancing for a few moments.

I could give you the 5 gold without requiring repayment. As it seems, this action would benefit the party I am to adventure dance with.
Aden Bero
 player, 910 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Wed 22 Jul 2015
at 18:34
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
Aden nodded.  Maybe he'd been a little too quick to judge Drazgar.  Odd customs and mannerisms, for sure, but the drow seemed to be getting that Team Arcadia sticks together.
Safia
 player, 74 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Wed 22 Jul 2015
at 23:01
Re: The Temple of the Divines.

Though Dustil was surprised Safia had offered herself in servitude, she actually felt more comfortable earning her discount, than accepting charity from others. It always made her feel a little uncomfortable to accept help, like she should immediately offer something in return. All she had to give was a slightly awkward, but appreciative smile.

“Thanks, Dustil....If you’re sure?” Of course he was, she knew that, but she didn’t want him to come up short on coins and not be able to fill his flask. She looked to Drazgar the Dancer, offering him a slightly different version of her smile. It held a hint of approval. “Thanks, Drazgar. I hope it will benefit us in our adventure as well.”

Safia nodded at Acolyte Johnson’s wise counsel, but she left Dustil and Drazgar to determine whether or not they would split the cost of helping her, while she followed instruction and moved to the far wall. She placed her back to the wall, turning to face the acolyte. “Yes, I understand and I am ready. Thank you.” At least, she was fairly certain she understood. How difficult could it be? She didn’t have anything to lie about.
Acolyte Johnson
 NPC, 1 post
Wed 22 Jul 2015
at 23:20
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
The Acolyte Raised one of his hands and uttered a very quiet prayer. Safia Felt an odd pressure on her mind OOC: this is the zone of truth. You can submit or resist. If you choose to resist I will roll the attack vs your will. Otherwise you will have to tell the truth. Not that you have anything to Lie about.

"What is your name?" He waits for a response

"How long have you lived in this city?" waits for response

"Do you have any family here?"

"Have you committed any serious crimes? Any petty ones?"

"You are a member of team Arcadia right?"

"How many events in the tournament have you participated in?"

"have you enjoyed the Tournament for far?"

"What is the Name of the man whose belongings you wish to claim?"

"What did he do for a living?"

"How did he Die?"

"Is he a citizen of Arcadia?"

"How long have you known him?"

"Does he have any family?"

"Was he a criminal or otherwise involved in illegal activities?"

"Why do you wish to claim his belongings?"

"Did he owe you, a member of your family or someone you work for money?"

"Do you believe that there was something valuable on his person?"

"Do you believe there is a Key or some other object in his belongings that could be used to gain access to something valuable? Like a safe or stash?"

OOC: that should be most of them. He might ask some more depending on your answers.
Safia
 player, 75 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 00:45
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
PM

This message was last edited by the player at 00:49, Fri 24 July 2015.

Safia
 player, 76 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 02:06
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
In reply to Acolyte Johnson (msg # 22):

"What is your name?"
“Safia Ar'Thusa Nagi,” she replied easily, having chosen to be submissive to the spell.

"How long have you lived in this city?"
“Twenty-three years”

"Do you have any family here?"
“Yes.”

"Have you committed any serious crimes? Any petty ones?"
“No... to both.”

"You are a member of team Arcadia right?"
“Yes,” she answered, but then her expression grew uncertain. “Actually, I did recuse myself to take care of some things and an alternative was brought in to take my place. So I may not be an 'acting' member at the moment, but I am a member of the team.”

"How many events in the tournament have you participated in?"
“One,” she answered, adding, “Unless you count the contest to reach the Heart of Arcadia in order to earn a place on the team as an ‘event’?” When she knocked out Daven’s teeth with the hilt of her sword. “If so, then it would be two."

“What is the Name of the man whose belongings you wish to claim?"
“Jace.”

"What did he do for a living?"
“Various jobs. He was very resourceful.”

"How did he Die?"
It took Safia a moment to answer. Not because she didn’t want to, but because the macabre memory of how Jace had died—all that blood and body parts—was too horrific to dredge back up. “Dreadfully,” she finally replied with a frown. “He was brutally murdered in what appeared to be a ritualistic fashion.”

"Is he a citizen of Arcadia? How long have you known him? Does he have any family?"
“Yes, I believe he is a citizen of Arcadia. I’ve known him most of my life. He is... was a childhood friend. Jace was a street urchin. He had no family that he knew of, or surely they wouldn’t have left him to grow up alone. At least, he was alone until he met me and our other friend, Tamalie, when we were all around ten years of age.” Safia felt a fine mist gather in her eyes and she drew breath against it.

"Was he a criminal or otherwise involved in illegal activities?"
“In the eyes of the law, the answer is yes. But they don’t know him like I do.” Safia had already answered the question, but she refused to let Jace’s name be tarnished. “He had a good and giving heart. He might have committed petty crimes, but who is truly to blame for that when no one cared for him as a child or taught him right from wrong? He had to learn to fend for himself, to make his own way the best way he knew how. He made some bad choices in life. Who doesn't? But he was good and kind. He helped those who were in need. He would even give his last coin to someone if he believed them to be hungrier than he was, even if it meant he would go without nourishment for himself.”

It was her version of Jace she shared, not anyone else's.

"Why do you wish to claim his belongings?"
“His belongings hold hope for me, the hope that something of his will lead us on the path to finding his killer and bringing that person or persons to justice. I also wish to claim his belongings to have something personal to remember him by, to be able keep a tangible part of him close to my heart. Always.”

Safia lifted the back of her hand to quickly wipe away the moisture that had gathered at the corner of her eye.

"Did he owe you, a member of your family or someone you work for money?"
“I can only answer for myself to say no, he didn’t owe me any money. I don’t believe he owed any money to my family or anyone I work for, but I don’t truly have any knowledge of whether or not he did.”

"Do you believe that there was something valuable on his person?"
“Jace,” she replied, unable to keep the thought to herself. He was valuable. What he had on his person holds value for me because it belonged to him, and therefore it’s a part of my friend that will never die. And as I said, his personal effects hold hope for me as well, which is truly valuable. So my answer is yes.”

Belatedly, Safia recalled that the Captain of the Guard had mentioned 100 platinum pieces were among Jace’s things. Money was the last thing on her mind, though, when thinking of Jace. Besides, she had already answered in the affirmative, so she had told the truth.

"Do you believe there is a Key or some other object in his belongings that could be used to gain access to something valuable? Like a safe or stash?"
“No. ...I don’t believe so.”

It seemed an odd question, a suspect one. The Captain of the Guard hadn’t mentioned a key in Jace’s things and Safia couldn’t help but wonder if that was a customary ‘truth’ question, or more pointed.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:08, Fri 24 July 2015.

Acolyte Johnson
 NPC, 2 posts
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 23:24
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
The Priest watches you carefully as you answer each question. When the barrage of questions ends he continues to watch you for a few moments more. Finally he ends the spell and walks over to his desk. he signs your form and then stamps it with a seal showing the symbol of the temple of the divines. "If you were lying then you'd be the second best Liar I've ever met. I sense no Deceit in your answers and you do not seem to be interested in his possessions solely for your own personal gain. I see no reason to deny you your friends personal effects. Please hand this to Sargent Dey." Johnson comments as he hands the forms back to you.
Safia
 player, 78 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 21:11
Re: The Temple of the Divines.

Fleetingly, she wondered at who the second best liar was, though she had been telling the truth.

"Thanks," Safia beamed, unable to contain her joy. She accepted the forms and turned to leave with her teammates, looking askance first to Dustil and Drazgar as they walked. "Thank you, again. We should get this certification back to Sargent Dey before she goes home for the day. I hope that it will be worth more than sentimental value in collecting Jace's things, though it means much to me to be able to do so. I just have a hunch that there will be some clue he left behind, something in his things that will prove useful in delivering justice. I hope..."
Acolyte Johnson
 NPC, 3 posts
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 21:25
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
"I'll pray for your success." Johnson replies before going back to whatever he had been doing before you arrived. which apparently involved going through some ledgers, signing some papers and working an abacus.

OOC: if you wish to speak with Johnson further you may. Moving you forward a bit.

The team walks up the stairs and through the door back into the temple proper. the group can smell incense burning and hearing chimes, gongs, bells, singing, various other instruments and prayers from various directions. It seems like several groups were having services. Priests wearing robes adorned with symbols of their gods seemed to lead all these services while those in plain robes seemed to be about the business of running and maintaining the temple.

OOC: if any of you feel like doing something in the temple before leaving now is the time.
Aden Bero
 player, 914 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 14:09
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
Aden asked acolyte Johnson, "Who was the best liar you ever met? And also, are both good and evil gods worshipped here?  If so, does that cause issues?"

This message was last edited by the player at 14:10, Sun 26 July 2015.

Acolyte Johnson
 NPC, 4 posts
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 14:18
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
Downstairs with Johnson

"Telling could cause problems for me so I won't answer your first question. As for the second, yes good and evil gods are both worshiped here and yes in the past that has caused an issue or two. Nothing major and we do a lot to make sure there are no Incidents. Generally though everyone is on their best behavior because they want to be able to keep using the temple."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:47, Sun 26 July 2015.

Aden Bero
 player, 916 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 14:31
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
"Oh come now. Your secret would be safe with me. Indulge a fellow practitioner of the divine..."

09:29, Today: Aden Bero rolled 32 using 1d20+12. Diplomacy.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:31, Sun 26 July 2015.

Aden Bero
 player, 917 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 14:33
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
UPSTAIRS

Aden asks the others so wait a moment, and stops by Sarenrae's section of the temple, intending to quickly pay his respects.
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 193 posts
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 15:02
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
In reply to Aden Bero (msg # 31):

I should probably stop by Cayden Cailean's area as well.
Drazgar runs over there.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 772 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 16:33
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
Dustil had the same thought as Drazgar but since he wasn't part of the clergy it wasn't really required of him. He felt more comfortable with his private prayers and heady and frequent worshipping. But he also went to Cayden Cailean's shrine to pray and tithe a gold coin. He would pay more once he had more to give.
Mr. Main
 GM, 1079 posts
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 21:54
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
Aden and the Shrine of Sarenrae

Aden walks the grounds for a while and after about 10 minutes he manages to reach the Shrine of Sarenrea in the connecting hallway that joins the domes. The Shrine is a small Altar with a granite base and a marble top with a statue of a beautiful female Angel in the center. The body is made out of silver, the wings gold and the rising sun haloing her head is made of Platinum. The Altar is bathed in colorful light from Three large stained glass windows; one behind, one in front and one above. Standing Next to the altar burning some incense and chanting some prayers is a middle aged woman wearing the robes of a priest of Sarenrae.


Drazgar and Dustil

The two men wander the ground for some time as well. After a while the come across an odd scene. They find a spot in the hallway with Cayden Cailean's Symbol on the wall. But there is no altar Instead there is a round wooden table much like one would find in a pub. The table is a mess. There are mugs, pitchers and empty bottles and dark spots that must have been spilled liquid of some kind. there are also three men at the table. two seem to be passed out. One face down in a puddle of his own drool. A second slumped backward in his chair. Head up, snoring loudly a dark bottle clutched in one hand. The third is cradling his head in his hands. His elbows on the table. Staring down into it.
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 194 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 00:43
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
In reply to Mr. Main (msg # 34):

Drazgar lifts his mug towards the symbol.
Safia
 player, 81 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 03:32
Re: The Temple of the Divines.

Diety-less, Safia wandered outside to enjoy the reflecting ponds and flower beds while she waited for the others. Nature was her temple, more tangible in it's wonders.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 773 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 13:47
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
Dustil bowed his head for a moment, then looked up and grinned at the symbol with a smile full of mischief. He took a long pull from his flask. Then he set several silver pieces on the table and quietly called out, "Next round's on me, boys." He didn't want to yell and wake them up if they were hung over from 'worshipping' - though a small part of him thought about it, he resisted that urge.
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 195 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 14:34
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
In reply to Dustil Kraye (msg # 37):

Drazgar places a silver piece on the table.

May your cups be full, may your eyes see beauty and may your feet always be moving.
Mr. Main
 GM, 1080 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 20:13
Re: The Temple of the Divines.
The man who had been cradling his head in his hands looks up. He's a young man not much older than Dustil. He has Short black hair, dark brown eyes and is a bit scruffy looking. "Feel like having a drink? These Bacchus Scrubs had the gall to challenge A priest of Cailean to a drinking contest. I'll admit they can hold their liquor. Took me two whole days to drink 'em under the table. But Ain't no way in the nine hells they would have won and now they know. Dump 'em out of those chairs, sit, and let's make a toast."