The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.   Posted by Mr. Main.Group: 0
Mr. Main
 GM, 1099 posts
Sat 5 Sep 2015
at 17:55
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
The Seers are not easy to track down for they do not stay at the same place for much time. Oddly enough no one ever sees them move their tent. One day they are one place and the next they are somewhere else. So when you seek the Seers often you must first ask around. Which is what you do. It takes about an hour, but you eventually learn of where they are now situated and soon you find yourself standing before it.

The tent is obviously old and what you assume were once bright vibrant colors have been long faded by the sun. Standing outside the tent is a young boy about 14 years old. "Are you here to speak with the Seers? It's 10 gold per person who speaks with them. Special requests will cost more."
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 204 posts
Sat 5 Sep 2015
at 18:22
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
In reply to Mr. Main (msg # 1):

Drazgar shrugs and sits on a stump somewhere

I can sit out here and wait.
Aden Bero
 player, 931 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 11:30
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
"what if some of us don't want to speak, just to listen? Do we still have to pay?"
Safia
 player, 89 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 22:46
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.

The platinum pieces were suddenly burning a hole in her pocket, so to speak. Safia had actually tucked the small box of Jace’s things into her satchel when they set out to see the seers, without first discussing matters at Aden’s place.

Safia waited for the boy to answer Aden’s question before she interjected. “Would you excuse us for just a moment?” She stepped over to where Drazgar sat on a stump, and as she moved, she asked the others to join her.

“We have more than enough coin with the platinum that was in with Jace’s possession, but I’m hesitant to spend it. I have a gut feeling that the money wasn’t actually his, and that someone will come looking for it.” She looked to Aden. “If we need to use some of it to pay the seers, however, then I suppose we should take that chance. What do you think?” She asked the question of all, looking to each respectively.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:47, Mon 07 Sept 2015.

Dustil Kraye
 player, 786 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 23:18
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
Dustil glanced after Drazgar and gave a shrug and a quiet snort. He waited to hear what the reply to Aden's question was, but didn't resist when Safia pulled them away. He thought about it for a moment and then gave a shrug again. "I am close t'runnin' on empty fer money right now so I wouldn't say no t'the plat if that's the decision. If only you two, an' maybe Yan if he wants, wanna go in and ask questions, I can wait out here with Drazgar if needs be. I don't need t'spend coin for no reason."
Mr. Main
 GM, 1100 posts
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 23:32
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
"It's not just about who speaks to them. They are sensitive to the...threads everyone drags with them. Are all of you hear to ask a single for guidance on the same issue? We usually get smaller groups. Let me ask. I will return." The boy enters the tent and after a minute or two he returns.

"All of you can enter for and speak with the seers for 30 gold. But be mindful of your presence and what you say and think. A large group has occasionally caused them to drift if there are a lot of powerful emotions and thoughts amongst you."
Aden Bero
 player, 932 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Tue 8 Sep 2015
at 17:57
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
"It's probably best if I wait outside. I have divine energies swirling around me that can cause unexpected occurrences."

Those who'd known Aden for any length of time had all heard and seen it.  Strange sounds and items moving.  Spirits seemed to be drawn to the oracle of flame.

"And anyone that comes looking for this money is probably connected to his murder.  I'd say it's ours to spend, considering we're trying to solve this.  Just remember, whoever asks the questions, we're here to learn about cylithrea's attacker and Jace's murder, whether there is a connection or not."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:00, Tue 08 Sept 2015.

Safia
 player, 91 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 00:37
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.

Satisfied by their response, Safia felt less concerned about spending the inherited coin. Whatever trouble it might incur, at least they all seemed prepared to deal with it. She nodded to Aden, acknowledging his input as to what they were here to learn. Since Morien wasn’t here—the one who had suggested they speak with the Blackfrost Seers to begin with—she looked to Yanyeeku, the only one left who hadn’t offered to sit out. "Well, I guess it’s just us then..."

Safia retrieved the proper amount of coin from her satchel and stepped forward to hand it to the boy. In the back of her mind she wondered at the name ‘blackfrost’. Coupled with the boy’s statement that the seers might 'drift', and Morien’s moniker of The Frost Lord, she couldn’t help but summon a snow drift in her mind’s eye. She pulled her cloak more snugly around her shoulders and followed the boy’s lead.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 787 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 01:15
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
Since things financial were figured out, Dustil did agree to come along - he just couldn't really afford to pay for himself. But 30 for everyone? That was a good deal and he wouldn't let it go to waste. He followed Safia in - hell, he'd follow her almost anywhere if she asked.
Yanyeeku
 player, 163 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 15:26
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
Yanyeeku followed them both in, his eyes alight with curiosity. He had never really spoken to a seer before and had always wondered how much of it was genuine. He was well aware of how one can embellish stories, it was expected in bards after all, so he wasn't fully aware of how genuine the stories of their divinational powers were. Or how powerful.
Mr. Main
 GM, 1103 posts
Sun 13 Sep 2015
at 03:42
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
Dustil, Safia and Yanyeeku walked into the tent as the boy held open the curtain for them. The first thing you noticed was how dim it was. the Second thing you noticed was that it was cold. unnaturally so. You felt certain taht you could see your own breath if the tent wasn't so dim and you felt your skin tightening and goosebumps forming where ever it was exposed directly to the air.

 As your eyes adjusted more There was a small lantern with a little flame dangling from a rope near the top of the tent. at the four corners of the tent sat the seers. Each with a small candle in front of them. they did not seem to move at all. They wore hooded cloaks, that ensured you could not see their eyes, but you could tell from what parts of their faces you could see that each one was old. Ancient even. The flickering candles and the light from the slightly swinging lantern up high created lots of shadows which seemed to dance and swirl around the tent. It was dead quiet. Not only could you hear your foots steps, and every piece of equipment you wore on you jostle as you took each step. you could hear each other breathing and even your own hearts beating. Such stillness and quiet was unheard off on a street in Arcadia, especially with a festival going on.

You all walked into the center of the tent as you looked around. That's when you noticed her. She suddenly appeared out of thin air, but by how she stood and the fact that she was just as still as the other seers made you think that perhaps she had been there all along and you just did not notice her. She was wearing a hooded cloak, but her face was completely exposed and you could see her piecing black eyes taking you in. She was old, but not nearly as old as the others. when you stopped moving she spoke.

"What is it that you seek?"

<rose>
Safia
 player, 92 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 02:24
The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
Though she tried to refrain from shivering, there was no help for it. Safia sorely wished she had worn pants beneath her cloak, rather than a skimpy leather skirt. Gads! Even her knees were freezing.

Despite the chill, Safia took in the rhythm and rhomb of the Blackfrost tent, from the beating of hearts to the four-cornered and hooded seers, to the lantern dangling near the top of the tent. Gazing up at the tiny flame within, she couldn’t help but wonder if the rhythm of their breathing would crawl to a stop the longer they lingered within. Flames need oxygen, she silently reminded herself, so as long as there was a flicker they should be safe. ...unless they were magic flames.

As Safia lowered her gaze and found herself staring into a pair of intense charcoal eyes, she gasped, startled. The cold air she sucked into her lungs lent a rasp to her reply. “Th-thank you f-for seeing us.” She swallowed to soothe her throat. “We seek the identity of the one who attacked a woman named Cylithrea and of th-the one who killed my friend Jace. We would also li-like t-to know if the crimes are c-connected ...and how.”

This message was last edited by the player at 02:27, Tue 15 Sept 2015.

Dustil Kraye
 player, 789 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 16:05
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
Dustil walked in after Safia and Yan. He blinked a few times and narrowed his eyes to try and get them to adjust the dim lighting. The cold hit him like a wave, he shivered and quickly took another hit off of his flask. He nudged Safia and held out his flask to her. The alcohol would serve to warm her up a bit, if she chose to indulge. Then he held it out to Yan to see if the other man wanted the 'warm up' as well - but a bit absently as he was looking around the tent's interior.

He silently mouthed the word "Creepy" to himself. And he barely restrained himself from jumping at the sudden appearance of the hooded woman near them, and bit back a curse. He calmed himself and then slowly calmed his mind as well. He didn't want to influence this on accident. Luckily had had training in attaining oneness - though he wasn't the best student as his former mentor could attest.

He waited quietly as Safia started things off.
Mr. Main
 GM, 1106 posts
Sun 20 Sep 2015
at 22:50
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
The tent goes quiet after Safia speaks and the light dims even more to where you can barely make out the silhouettes of the seers in the corners despite the fact that they have lit candles in front of them. Then you hear a quiet murmuring; indistinct and barely audible.

"Many questions. She asks of Indentities and Connections:" The Seer standing in the center proclaims. The candles flicker and sputter sometimes making the tent a little brighter for brief moments and causing shadows to seeming swirl and dance. The four seers in the corner answer. Each one picking up where the others left off.

Murderers, monsters
and fallen stars,
who as demon rise;
All are pulled by the reaper's wake.

Then as one they all say:
Death rolls in with the fog. His ambition buried in the mists.

 "But what she seeks is justice."

 For who?
 The dead care not
 Blood is sought
 And has been paid

weregeld

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:52, Sun 20 Sept 2015.

Safia
 player, 97 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Mon 21 Sep 2015
at 11:26
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.

Many questions?

Safia silently refuted the count. Four is many, three is a few.

It wasn’t a disgruntlement per se, just an observation. Her attention shifted as the seers began to speak... in riddles. She attempted to decipher, noting the sixth line as an addendum to her thoughts, which was mildly unsettling. Their response struck a chord of denial. The dead care not. Deep within, she knew it was more about finding closure than seeking justice, but the two went hand-in-hand. Perhaps Jace could no longer care, but she did. She would as long as she drew breath.

Weregeld, she whispered, swallowing at the lump in the back of her throat. Blood is sought and has been paid...Were they telling her that Jace’s death was someone else’s justice and the platinum was restitution, an end-all? The trouble with riddles is that more than one interpretation would fit. Maybe Jace was meant to deliver the platinum as weregeld and the intended recipient declined? Violently.

Safia mentally stepped backwards through the verse. Another question tumbled off her tongue, though it sounded more like a demand. “Name the one whose ambition is buried in the mist.” She had another question, but was mindful of the cost. She vaguely remembered something Aden shared that Morien had shared in kind...that coin might not be the only payment the seers extract.

She lifted a hand to accept Dustil’s offer of a drink, if it was still available.
Aden Bero
 player, 933 posts
 HP 51/51
 Flame Juggler
Tue 22 Sep 2015
at 23:52
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
Outside

Outside, Aden struck up a conversation with Drazgar.  "So Draz, tell me a bit more about your life before we met."
Drazgar In'lyndl
 player, 208 posts
Wed 23 Sep 2015
at 00:25
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
In reply to Aden Bero (msg # 16):

What can I tell you about the life of a Drow noble?
Mr. Main
 GM, 1107 posts
Wed 23 Sep 2015
at 01:51
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
His name she asks...

The tent darkens even more. It is almost pitch black. All you can see are the tiniest pinpricks of light that are the just barely burning tips of the candles in front of the seers in the corners and the lantern dangling above the center of the tent. Can actually hear the seers chanting now. The language is unknown to any of you. It gets louder and increases in tempo every few seconds.

Harbringer of death
Not a name.
Weaver of war.
That's not a name.
The master of Kadamitar
That's not his name!
His name is CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG all the Seers start screaming. The candles starting burning super bright with flames nearly a foot tall shooting out from them. They clutch at their faces and starts rolling around on the ground in agony. The boy who was out side rushes in and starts cursing. He rushes over to the seers who was in the middle and looks through her pockets. he grabs what looks like a small glass ball and then smashes it on the ground. An odd smelling purple smoke explodes out of it's shattered pieces. in seconds it expands throughout the tent and the flames die down. the seers stops screaming, but remain on the ground holding themselves and shivering or shaking. one of them vomits.
Dustil Kraye
 player, 790 posts
 You must clear your thou-
 Hey, is that beer??
Wed 23 Sep 2015
at 02:28
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
Dustil was content to let Safia ask the questions, and he tried to keep himself calm and still, in body and mind. He didn't want to mess up this possible opportunity for information. Of course, the seers were talking but they were talking in cryptic riddles it seemed.

Despite himself, he leaned forward a bit more and a bit more as the seers seemed to start circling towards an answer, giving titles or nicknames or aliases or something. Whatever it was, it was the identity of who they were after supposedly, so he was interested in the final answer.

Then all hell broke loose!

"Holy crap!" He fell backwards from where he'd been leaning forward in surprise as the flames shot up. The seers went crazy and and then the flames got smothered by the quick-thinking and quick-acted young man. However, the seers were all kinds of messed up.

"Uhhh...what...the hell just happened?"

He went to the nearest seer aside from the one in the middle to see if she was alright.
Yanyeeku
 player, 164 posts
 Teller of Stories
 24/24 HP
Wed 23 Sep 2015
at 03:56
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
As the seers went into a chant, the bard raised his eyebrows. He had seen divination rituals performed but they felt like a degree of performance was involved. Surely all the chanting, the fire and so on weren't all that necessary? Then again... Most spells did involve spoken words, gesturing and either ingredients or a focus. He sung his own spells most of the time, who was he to judge?

Nevertheless, the fallout from the ritual resulting in the fire blazing and the seers almost catatonic caught him by surprise. He tried to think of whether he had ever heard of something like this occurring before.

Take 10 on Arcana check (Lore Master) for a total of 20 to figure out what happened.
Safia
 player, 98 posts
 Optimism is the
 Foundation of Courage
Wed 23 Sep 2015
at 05:07
Re: The tent of the Blackfrost Seers.
The darkening and lightening and up tempo chanting inside the tent was met with a furrowed brow as Safia intently watched and listened and waited, for a name. And then the monikers were shared, but still, not a name. She leaned in, expectant... and then all chaos ensued.

But Safia’s mind had latched on and she wasn’t letting go despite the storm around her. The seers screamed, they screamed the name. They said, ‘his name is’...

But Clahrg isn’t a name, she thought, while flames skyrocketed and her hope fell. Unless, it’s the name of a demon?

Clahrg.

It had a demon-y ring to it, sort of. She sounded it out in her head again, while glass shattered and purple smoke exploded.

Clahrrrrg.
Clahr.
Clah.


“Claus, Clark, Claude, Clemens,” she audibly mused. It wasn’t until Dustil moved to tend a fallen seer, before Safia’s eyes widened at the sight of them all trembling on the ground. Did I do this? she whispered, uncertain as to what just happened or what she should do about it. “I’m terribly sorry,” she offered, genuine, and crouched down near the one who hurled. “I didn’t mean to hurt you. Is there anything I can do to help?” She extended a hand to at least help the seer up.