Act II: Voyage Of Enigma.   Posted by The Gamesmaster.Group: 0
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 262 posts
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 01:18
Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
As the mid morning sun reaches it's zenith you trek once more to the bluffs.  The day is windless and hot, almost expectant.  You hurl the ship, keg and ring out into the sea.  They disappear under the water without trace, leaving a surface as calm as a mirror.

You wait for minutes that seem like hours. Then, looking out to sea, you catch sight of a sail. But what kind of ship can sail so swiftly in such lifeless air?

You see the familiar shape of a merchant's galley gliding towards the cliff. But this is no ordinary trading vessel. For you can see no crew on its deck. Its sails hang lifeless from its masts, yet the ship glides smoothly over the waves. As you look closer, you see that the galley really is sailing over the waves - it is floating above the water!

Suddenly, the ship stops dead. A landing-boat is winched down to the waves, and moves towards the shore. Again, you are certain that there is nobody aboard. It reaches a narrow cove just along the cliff from you, and grinds on to the sand. You get the feeling it is waiting... for you.

A slippery path leads down to the beach from the top of the cliff, which you can easily descend with a little care. As soon as you all climb into the boat, it slides down into the water, and smoothly heads in the direction of the galley. What have you let yourselves in for?

The landing-boat reaches the ship and you climb up the side-rigging. As soon as you are all aboard, the ship sails off at great speed.

Most ships' decks are very cluttered with ropes, barrels and all kinds of nautical tackle. Not this one, though. There is not so much as a coil of rope. The deck seems to be made entirely from black pine, one of the strongest and rarest woods in Allansia. In its middle, between the masts, is a hatchway, presumably leading to the hold. At each end of the lower deck there is a door. To the right of the forward door is a large brass plaque, on which is inscribed 'TWICE SHY'.

Even on the upper decks, there are no ropes - nor even a wheel for steering! What wind there is seems not to touch the sails: they hang limp and lifeless.

Tarrian
 player, 120 posts
 Barbarian Warrior
 of the Pagan Plains
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 06:35
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
The Pagan Plains woman climbs aboard with Spear and Large Shield at the ready.  Ready to bring the attack to any foe that might appear.

"Strange indeed, is this ship.  It is unlike any I have ever seen in either Kallamehr or the Port of Blacksands,"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:35, Mon 07 Apr 2014.

Vithrain
 player, 204 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Fri 25 Apr 2014
at 08:47
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
Vithrain had been silent in awe for many a moment now.

Finally he gathered his wits together and said in reply to Tarrian, "It is indeed. It is safe to say that it is magical in nature but even the design of it is curious indeed. I wonder if we are able to look around and search all of the ship?"
Dappa
 player, 14 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Fri 25 Apr 2014
at 18:22
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
Dappa nods resolutely and advances towards the ship.
Elstarir
 player, 146 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Fri 25 Apr 2014
at 21:37
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
Elstarir steps up next to his brother ready to keep an eye on him. He was always concerned his brother's curiosity would one day get him killed.
Mannath
 player, 175 posts
 Rogue
Mon 28 Apr 2014
at 14:43
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
Despite the warm air, Mannath shivered slightly and pulled his new cloak around him. The appearance of the strange looking ship made him nervous, though he did his best to hide it.

He looked around at the seemingly lifeless vessel. "Well, this was a really bad idea," he muttered.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 267 posts
Tue 13 May 2014
at 00:09
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
The ship continues to cut it's way through the water... or rather above it. Soon the city is a distant haze on the horizon as the Twice Shy tacks west by northwest. Besides yorselves it seems devoid of life, at least on the top deck, though of course you may search below, either by trying the hatchway, the forward door or the aft door.
Tarrian
 player, 121 posts
 Barbarian Warrior
 of the Pagan Plains
Tue 13 May 2014
at 07:55
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
Speaking to no one in particular, Tarrian said.

"If I remember correctly, from the many maps and sea charts I have studied.  If this ship keeps going on this course.  It would seem this ship is taking us up into the Glemmering Sea.  Perhaps to the ports of Agra or Bei-Han.  I wonder if it can travel above land, as well as it travels above water?"
Dappa
 player, 17 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Tue 13 May 2014
at 17:33
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
I look around on the upper deck and listen to the various doors and hatches (if there is any).
Elstarir
 player, 148 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Tue 13 May 2014
at 17:46
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
With very little to do and knowing his brother couldn't get himself into too much trouble, fingers crossed, on the boat in the middle of nowhere, the elf archer settled himself down in an area out of the way of crew and started oiling his bow and fixed any damaged feathers on his arrows
Dappa
 player, 18 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Tue 13 May 2014
at 19:31
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
[OOC: 20:30, Tue 13 May 2014: Dappa rolled 8 using 2d6 ((3,5)).
Considering my skill = 4 + 1 world lore I'd say I failed.]

Mannath
 player, 177 posts
 Rogue
Tue 13 May 2014
at 21:55
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
As the strange vessel ploughed forward, Mannath's natural curiosity began to nag at him. Much as he wanted to explore the odd ship, part of him begged him not to, that nothing good would come of it.

For now he resisted the urge, but it began to grow. He walked up and down the deck, looking through doors and into murky shadows. He didn't touch anything, he was just... curious.

22:52, Today: Mannath rolled 5 using 2d6. World Lore check tgt8.
Elstarir
 player, 149 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Wed 14 May 2014
at 07:41
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
OOC:08:40, Today: Elstarir rolled 6 using 2d6. lore roll (7). World Lore Roll

Vithrain
 player, 206 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Wed 14 May 2014
at 12:46
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
OOC: I have no world lore, just magical lore.
13:46, Wed 14 May 2014: Vithrain rolled 4 using 2d6 ((3,1)).
In case you still want it.

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 273 posts
Sun 18 May 2014
at 11:02
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
None of you are born sailors but you do have a rough knowlege of where you are, crossing the southernmost point of the Glimmering Sea, a great body of water that is contested by the rival city-states of Alkemis, Agra, Bei-han and of course Kallamehr.  To the best of your knowledge none of the cities are currently at war by they are all in competition for trade and power so you best be careful should you make port in one of those cities.

Though if you will make port is a good question.  Bei-han, the great slavery port ruled by an old and unstable sultan lies many leagues to the north and you are not tacking along the coast to get there. Agra, the most warlike of the cities is on the western coast of the Glimmering Sea but is again too far north. That leaves the ancient port of Alkemis nearly directly across from Kallamehr. Last you heard that venerable city was stricken by plague...

Perhaps though even Alkemis is too far north and the Twice Shy is bound for the open sea - and the gods know where. Only that you are definitely making west is certain.

Dappa's investigation of doors and hatchways reveals no sounds of conversation, merely the creak of timbers and perhaps the distant sound of bilgewater far blow.  The crew, should there be any, remains ominously silent and unseen.
Dappa
 player, 19 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Sun 18 May 2014
at 17:28
Re: Act II: Voyage Of Enigma
I look at the water around the ship. Can I notice anithing? Can I guess the presence of sea creatures pushing the Twice Shy or something like that?
Mannath
 player, 178 posts
 Rogue
Mon 19 May 2014
at 11:34
Maybe this is a really bad idea...
"Sod it," Mannath muttered to himself. All this waiting around was getting on his nerves, and his fear of what was below deck was gradually being overcome by his natural curiosity.

Checking his various blades he headed for a stairway at the fore of the ship. Placing his hand on the frame of the entrance he peered inside. "Hello-ooo! Anyone down there?" He waited for a brief moment, then headed down into the gloom.
Vithrain
 player, 209 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Wed 21 May 2014
at 15:42
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Vithrain was content to stay on deck and watch the horizon. His elven feet preferred dry land. some of his cousins were sea elves, but he was not among them.
Mannath
 player, 180 posts
 Rogue
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 05:57
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Stepping through the door at the pointy end of the ship (he was sure that sailors has technical names for the front and back ends of a boat, but this wasn't really his area of expertise), Mannath looked around. To either side he saw doors and in front of him was a hatch, presumably leading down to the lower decks. Gingerly he approached the door on the right. He knocked on the door and waited a few seconds for a response. If none came he would gently push the door open.

OOC - to clarify, room 4 on the map.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:59, Tue 03 June 2014.

Tarrian
 player, 124 posts
 Barbarian Warrior
 of the Pagan Plains
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 14:36
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Having risen, as well as eaten, very early in the day.  Tarrian decides to go looking to see if there is any food and water on the vessal.  Other then what they themselves had brought.  An if there is any facilities to cook anything.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 278 posts
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 15:22
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
All except Mannath:

Dappa observes nothing but water beneath the Twice Shy. At a rough guess the strange vessel is floating perhaps two or three metres above the waves and making rapid speed wherever it is going.

The weather, which til now has been calm starts to worsen, and does so quickly. The whole western sky is covered with the angry purple-grey bruise of a rapidly oncoming.  There is a rumble of thunder and in the distance you see them: five flying specks moving towards you...

Mannath:

The interior of the forecastle seems normal enough for the most part - or it would if you know more of ships.  It is built of the same dark pine as the rest of the ship and the light from the lit ships lantern hanging on the wall plays strangely on the coloring of the wood.  To your left is an ordinary looking door, currently closed [ooc: this leads to room 3 on the map].  You ignore it and turn to the - ar stranger - door opposite. Or what should have been door.

Set into the wall is a portal with no door. All you can see is a sheet of darkness within the door-frame. Drawn around the frame are hundreds of little stick figures, engaged in curious activities, such as running, jumping and wrapping their legs around their heads.


Mannath
 player, 181 posts
 Rogue
Sun 8 Jun 2014
at 17:30
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Unaware of developments outside, Mannath tilted his head and shouted over his shoulder to those still on the deck outside. "Errr, guys! You should come and take a look at this! I've never seen anything like it."
Vithrain
 player, 212 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 10:22
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Vithrain watches the specks for a few moments then at the call of Mannath's voice ducks down inside to where he is. When he catches sight of him Vithrain says, "Weather's closing in. Looks like it will be rough. And we have some company heading our way. No doubt with bad intentions as they are riding the storm."
Mannath
 player, 182 posts
 Rogue
Tue 10 Jun 2014
at 14:45
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
In reply to Vithrain (msg # 23):

When the Elven wizard appeared, Mannath pointed at the strange portal. "Check this out. What do you think?"
Vithrain
 player, 214 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 10:35
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Vithrain pulls up short when he sees the strange doorway. He then moves forward to examine the glyphs closer. He runs his hand over the frame with tenderness and awe.

His senses tingle (let me know please if magical?)

"Well isn't that just a thing of beauty! Are you a portal my pretty...?" Vithrain starts saying to himself and the archway, totally forgetting Mannath and the impending storm and ships. "What secrets do you hold for me, hmmm? Tell me your tales beautifull arch...."

so can I get an innate call on its magical status please and then do I recognise/know the language?
Dappa
 player, 21 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Sun 15 Jun 2014
at 18:18
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
I study the little figures, trying to make some sense of them.

[Just in case, I rolled 2d6... you never know... 19:19, Sun 15 June 2014: Dappa rolled 10 using 2d6 ((6,4)). ]

This message was last edited by the player at 18:20, Sun 15 June 2014.

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 282 posts
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 09:33
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
As Vithrain runs his long elven fingers over the dark wooden figures they grow warm to the touch and he feels a prickling sensation across his fingertips, as if he was sweeping his hand through a drift full of pine needles.  To the others little seems to happen but the elven spellcaster can now be sure: this doorway is magical.  The exact nature however eludes him, though he can sense it is not - at least not inherently - malign magic at play.

Dappa likewise is mystified.  The strange figures remind him of an engraving his master Hammet the Dash once showed him, an engraving in a book from the Old World. The engraving was only seen in pssing however, long ago and the young sorceror can not recall what was said.

Outside as the wind picks up the five specks in the sky have grown larger by the moment, framed against the sullen sky. In another moment they will be visible enough to make them out - and not all that long after they will be arriving.
Dappa
 player, 22 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Tue 17 Jun 2014
at 18:31
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
"Right is the Sun and left is the Moon... hmmm...."
Elstarir
 player, 154 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Wed 18 Jun 2014
at 12:30
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
The Elf archer looks out and notices the black figures getting bigger and bigger. Standing from his position on the deck he straps on his quiver of arrows and tests the tension in his bow string before notching and arrow and aiming out over the ship towards the approaching figures.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:08, Thu 19 June 2014.

Mannath
 player, 186 posts
 Rogue
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 15:14
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Mannath watched as Dappa and Vithrain examined the strange markings. The writings of wizards and sorcerers had always been a mystery to him. "Well, what do you reckon?"

As they concluded their assessment the rogue turned to look at the more mundane door behind them. Without touching it he looked at the door and the lock to see if it as either locked or possibly trapped. Once he had that information he would make a decision on what to do next.
Dappa
 player, 23 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Thu 19 Jun 2014
at 21:00
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
There is only one way to understand if there is a trap concealed in this decorated doorway.... Dappa stands in front of the door, points both his open hands to it, gently closes his eyes and whispers: "SUS!"
Vithrain
 player, 215 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Sun 22 Jun 2014
at 18:47
Re: Maybe this is a really bad idea...
Vithrain, his fingers still tingling, says "Well, there's real magic here and at a guess I would say it was a portal of some kind. Whether that be a time or physical portal I can not tell without simply going through it.

But is it the only one, or do other rooms hold similar things? And if we were meant to go through it why then provide us with a ship and not simply have the door appear before us on the cliff edge for us to walk though?

Curious. My old master would love to study this before ever trying it out."

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 287 posts
Fri 11 Jul 2014
at 01:20
Raiders from the sky!


As Elstarir watches the fast approaching dots in the sky suddenly came into focus; a flock of BIRD MEN. The Bird Men of Southern Allansia are ugly, spiteful creatures who delight in raiding the weak and it seems this flock has decided to investigate the Twice Shy. They are highly unlikely to be friendly!

The foremost Bird Men are now within arrow range.

Meanwhile in the fo'castle Dappa feels no answering tingle. Undoubtedly the portal is magic in some way but it does not seem to be a trap as such.

Mannath investigates the other door. It appears mundane and though closed does not look locked.
Elstarir
 player, 157 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Fri 11 Jul 2014
at 13:01
Re: Raiders from the sky!
the elf ranger doesn't wait, he'd been targeting the the incoming shapes since he had spotted them now he let loose the arrow at the nearest.


OOC:14:01, Fri 11 July 2014: Elstarir rolled 21 using 2d6+10 ((5,6)).
14:27, Today: Elstarir rolled 4 using 1d6+1. damage roll (crack shot).total 3

This message was last edited by the player at 13:28, Fri 11 July 2014.

Dappa
 player, 24 posts
 Apprentice Sorcerer
Fri 11 Jul 2014
at 21:45
Re: Raiders from the sky!
Dappa takes his bamboo flute to his lips and plays a lively tune.
JIG!

This message was last edited by the player at 13:22, Sun 13 July 2014.

Mannath
 player, 188 posts
 Rogue
Sun 13 Jul 2014
at 05:19
Re: Raiders from the sky!
Cautiously, Mannath opened the door and swung it open. He peered inside, wondering what other strange oddities there were on this mysterious vessel.
Vithrain
 player, 216 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Tue 19 Aug 2014
at 20:41
Re: Raiders from the sky!
Vithrain moves to have a look at what else the ship has to offer.