Act I, Scene Two: About Town.   Posted by The Gamesmaster.Group: 0
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 195 posts
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 12:02
Re: In the sewers...
There is a click somewhere in the lock. Slowly, very slowly and with much complaining the heavy iron sluice gate swung open revealing the exterior: specifically the waters of the sea about a meter below the sewer exit. The way out is unobstructed.

Vithrain's search has revealed that the group has find a silver medallion on a leather strap, a little larger than a gold piece. One side is plain, but the other is stamped with the portrait of a pretty young human woman, her hair cropped tomboyishly short and wearing a mischevious grin.



OOC: Everyone regain 2 LUCK points for having gained the Minotaur nose ring and escaped. This cannot take you over your initial LUCK score.

I'm assuming everyone is willing to leave the sewers at this point.

Mannath
 player, 126 posts
 Rogue
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 12:50
Re: In the sewers...
"There you go..." Mannath muttered to himself. As the lock went click he gently opened it and turned to offer a self-satisfied grin to his companions. With a bit of a shove he managed to force the gate open, and stepped out in into the fresh air. Well, fresher air. He took a deep breath and blinked a few times to let his eyes get accustomed to the light.

He looked around, wondering if there was some sort of path, or if they were about to make a swim for it. As he did so he couldn't help notice the shiny thing that Vithrain had found. "Here, let me see." He took a look at the medallion, recognising the symbols instantly. "That, my friends, is Mirala. Patron goddess of rogues, lovers, scoundrels and songsmiths. Wear that and My Lady will smile on all your endeavours... if she likes you." He grinned at the last, knowing that the goddess was a fickle mistress. "I had one once, until I woke up one morning with no medallion, no clothes, no coin and no whore. Still, she was worth it!" He chuckled at the memory, it had been quite a night!
Vithrain
 player, 141 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 13:06
Re: In the sewers...
Vithrain takes the medallion back from Mannath, dunks it in the waters at his feet to clean it off then holds it in his hand. Using his natural ability to determine if something is magical Vithrain checks out the silver disk.


Vithrain frowns. It's not often he has trouble working out a magical item. He knows this thing is magic and he can tell that Mannath speaks the truth in that it is somehow linked to Luck, but he can't pin down the details and as for the deity behind the thing.....well - he'll have to just take Mannaths' word that it was Mirala, the Goddess of thieves.

Vithrain looks at Mananth. He then holds his hand out and says, "You keep it. It will bring you luck and it has more sentimental value to you than to me also."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:03, Sat 05 Oct 2013.

Elstarir
 player, 115 posts
 Archer
 Stamina 14 / 10
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 14:09
Re: In the sewers...
As the lock clicked open and the thief pushed the gate the elf had already unslung his bow and notched an arrow. While the other looked at the medallion Elstarir stepped out in a crouch and using his elf sight looked round to make sure the coast was clear
The Handmaiden
 player, 93 posts
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 16:06
Oustide the sewers...
Once back under sunlight and in a place where she feels not observed or endangered, the Handmaiden takes off her pocket the metal ring that was on the Minotaur's nose and shows it to her companions.
"I really hope this is what we needed to pick up.
Now let's go back and have a warm bath!"

This message was last updated by the player at 16:07, Sat 05 Oct 2013.

Mannath
 player, 127 posts
 Rogue
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 16:07
Re: In the sewers...
In reply to Vithrain (msg # 235):

Mannath was genuinely surprised when Vithrain handed the medallion back, but then remembered that while those of his own class celebrated The Lady, others looked down upon her and those she watched over. She was not the most popular of deities.

He took the medallion, and offered a note of thanks to the Elf. As Elstarir looked around he fastened the strap around his neck, offering a brief but silent prayer that The Lady would watch over him and protect him from harm, and also look after his adopted sister, Tarrian. He wondered briefly where she might be, but was confident that she could look after herself.

OOC - Mirala medallion added to char sheet.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:08, Sat 05 Oct 2013.

Vithrain
 player, 148 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 17:26
Re: Oustide the sewers...
In reply to The Handmaiden (msg # 237):

" Just how did you get the ring? The Cat ran off with it." Vithrain asks of the Handmaiden.
The Handmaiden
 player, 97 posts
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 19:35
Re: Oustide the sewers...
"The Cat dropped it, of course..."
Vithrain
 player, 149 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 20:28
Re: Oustide the sewers...
Vithrain looked at the Handmaiden with a very dubious look, but said nothing. If she wanted to tell falsehoods to her friends then let it be so. Henceforth he would take everything she said with a healthy dose of scepticism however.

"Shall we head back and get cleaned up?"
The Handmaiden
 player, 98 posts
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 22:53
Re: Oustide the sewers...
"I badly need that!"
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 198 posts
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 23:07
Fresh sea air...


As you gratefully clamber out of the sewer you land into the (comparatively) clean waters of the Glimmering Sea. The late afternoon sun has done little to warm the waters but compared to the smile encrusted foul smelling tunnels it is practically a luxury and as you wade ashore you find yourselves marginally cleaner. Just don't attempt entering the good part of town any time soon.

A passer-by informs you that you are on the Brine Road in the western part of the city - you have travelled far from the main docks and the surrounding warehouses. Nearby a large building dominates the street.  A peeling sign informs you it is the Nautical Academy of Kallamehr.

The Nautical Academy of Kallamehr is an ancient and decrepit building. It is perched dangerously close to the cliff, and you wonder what prevents it from sliding into the sea! Robed children career noisily in and out of the large entrance and lean out of windows. At the top of the building is an ancient weathervane in the form of a ship. Perched precariously on this is a grubby youngster who attracts your attention by lobbing loose bits of tile at you.
The Handmaiden
 player, 99 posts
Tue 8 Oct 2013
at 18:46
Re: Fresh sea air...
"This reminds me something that the Riddling Reaver wrote..."
The Handmaiden
 player, 100 posts
Tue 8 Oct 2013
at 18:53
Re: Fresh sea air...
quote:
I always believe in giving people a chance. After all, without Chance there is no Luck, and without either where would I be? You can try to follow me, if you want to avenge Bluestone's death. And I won't stop you. In fact, I'll provide the transport. But to pay your fare, you'll have to gather three trinkets and feed them to the God of the Sea at Brion's Bluff. What's more, the trinkets aren't even hidden. All you have to do is solve my riddles to find where in Kallamehr they are. I hope you're lucky. Then again, I hope you're unlucky. It's all the same to me.

What am I?

 A white-winged fish that parts the waves
 I ply the sparkling waste.
 I'm bound by ropes, and pulled by cloth,
 Lest merchants lose their haste.

Where am I?

 My first is in south but not in north;
 My second is in picture but not in play;
 My third is in fourth and also in worth;
 My fourth is in book and also in cook;
 My fifth is in toe but not in sew;
 My sixth is in life but not in death;
 And together I'm found where children abound.

What am I?

 My belly is round
 And bound with iron bonds;
 What I carry always raises a cheer.
 Murder have I not done;
 Stolen not; cheated not;
 Yet a peg is beaten into my head

Where am I?

 My coat is green and I can speak
 Of several things, but mostly cheek.
 In such a prison I am set
 That has more loopholes than a net.

What am I?

 I've neither top nor bottom,
 Yet I hold bone and skin;
 I hardly ever make a noise,
 And yet my name's a din.

Where am I?

 Ill-matched is my visage to my frame -
 Horns are on my head, the rest a hideous man;
 By fume well known through all the Allansian lands;
 From man and beast together is my name.

- The Riddling Reaver

Vithrain
 player, 150 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Wed 9 Oct 2013
at 21:02
Re: Fresh sea air...
"Right now, young lady, all I am interested in is a bath and sleep. I am fair exhausted after that fight and using so much magic!" Vithrain says to everyone there.
Mannath
 player, 130 posts
 Rogue
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 15:21
Re: Fresh sea air...
In reply to Vithrain (msg # 246):

"Agreed, I have smelled a lot better!" Truth be told he had also smelled a lot worse, but right now he also fancied a bath and some fresh clothes. Some companionship in the bath might be nice too...
The Handmaiden
 player, 104 posts
Sat 12 Oct 2013
at 22:31
Re: Fresh sea air...
Once we'll go to Palace, the Handmaiden, a bit saddened, meets you and hands over the ring from the Minotaur to the group: "I'm sorry, but Mylady requires my presence besides her for some time, so I can't continue with you at the moment. Maybe I'll join again later."
Tarrian
 player, 77 posts
Tue 15 Oct 2013
at 17:48
Re: Tarrian Solo...

This message was deleted by the player at 17:55, Tue 15 Oct 2013.

Tarrian
 player, 79 posts
 Barbarian Warrior
 of the Pagan Plains
Tue 15 Oct 2013
at 20:24
Re: Tarrian Solo...
The Gamesmaster:
Tarrian reaches the alleyway just seconds before the warehouse doors are smashed open. You hear a cry of "There! They're going through the hole!" behind you but by this point you are already running...

Moments later you reach a crossroads. To the south the alley continues - glancing down you can make out ships rigging so it must open out into the docks. To the the north it curves round a corner out of sight. In front of you a door stands, slightly ajar... a pungent smell emenates from within.

The sound of footsteps behind you is getting very loud...

Using some techniques she had picked up from Mannath.  The female Barbarian managed to shake off her pursuers.  Doubling back, she manage to reach the palace without further incident.  She wondered how her companions were fareing in their subterrain journey through the sewers.  There was one thing she knew for sure.  They wouldn't be coming out of it, smelling like a rose!
An such was the case when they arrived back at the palace.  Actually they smelled somewhat like the stuff you use to fertilize a rose with.  Tarrian was glad to see that they where all in one piece.  But it was all she could do, to keep from laughing in their faces.  She had to quickly excuse herself and run to the stables so as to be away from them.  Beginning to laugh so hard that she had bagan have tears running down her face and her sides began to ached.  So much so, that she wasn't looking where she was going.  When a stableboy, leading a horse came around the corner.  She was brushed up against by the horses's body and knocked off balance and into a large pile of horse manure.  Which made her laugh even more.
 'The Gods have a funny way of balancing the scales, don't they!'
When she compose herself,  Tarrian ran to rejoin the others in using the bathhouse.  Latter on heading to the 'Parrot in a Cage' Inn where they were staying.  To have a hearty meal, over which they would discuss their next move.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:56, Wed 16 Oct 2013.

Vithrain
 player, 155 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Tue 15 Oct 2013
at 21:29
Re: Tarrian Solo...
There was a strong smell of lavender lingering around Vithrain's form as he sat down to dinner. He needed this food and ordered a pint of light ale to go with it.

"Well we think we know where to head next, but let's get a good nights rest first." he says with a distinct weary sound to his voice.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 202 posts
Tue 15 Oct 2013
at 21:38
Return to the Palace...


The Palace of Kallamehr was perhaps a little small given the wealth and size of the city but beautiful all the same, an oasis in the middle of the dusty and hot streets.  It lay on the western side of the Square of Patriarchs, dwarfed in size at least by the great Royal Bath House to the north which was the largest building in the entire town.

You find yourselves cooling your heels by a fountain in a small courtyard watching harried looking servants, passed by, still clad in black and grey morning garb. Several of them give you aghast looks as they catch sight of you, and especially when they smell you. Before Chadda takes her leave suggests you take an extended trip to the Bath House before anyone in the Palace will take much notice of you.


OOC: The Palace is located underneath the 'Square of Patriarchs' label on the map.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 205 posts
Tue 15 Oct 2013
at 22:14
At the Parrot in a Cage


The trip to the Bath Houses leaves you clean, in the case of Mannath at least cleaner than you have ever been before.  after the grueling day you have been through it is a remarkably refreshing experience.

OOC: Everyone restore 1 STAMINA point.

The 'Parrot in a Cage' inn is the most successful, and the most disreputable, drinking establishment in Kallamehr. Inside the smoky den, a large crowd of assorted ne'er-do-wells are massed around a table. A cocky young man is performing a trick with three shells and a pea. Two piles of coins testify this is no idle game. You soon notice that nobody seems able to beat the man at his game. It looks simple, and he shuffles the shells very slowly, but somehow he manages to deceive all comers. There is only one person in the inn who does not seem to be intrested in the game. He is a short, rat-faced fellow who sits by the bar, playing with his bead necklace, and occasionaly muttering to himself. By his head hangs a slate with the prices of ale; it can be bougght by the tankard or by the cask. Behind the bar you can see the casks, bottles and barrels untididly stacked.

Your own table stands some distance from the gamester's table. A young female Half-Orc barmaid comes over to take your orders. Which takes longer than might be expected. It is true Half-Orcs are not famous for their brains but from the admiring glances she keeps sending towards the gaming youth you can guess she is more distracted than usual.
Mannath
 player, 135 posts
 Rogue
Thu 17 Oct 2013
at 15:11
Re: At the Parrot in a Cage
Mannath looked down at himself, a strangely clean version of the man he knew. The bath house had been luxurious, and cost a pretty penny but it was worth it to get the smell of the sewer out of his hair.

The only problem was that he had gotten carried away, and allowed the attendant to smother in in scented oils and perfumes. As such he now reeked like a man-whore trading favours to sailors. He had gotten more than one admiring glance, but not from any woman whose fancy he might partake of. Rough deckhand was not his lover of choice...

In the Parrot in the Cage he stood quietly for a moment, observing the game. The man running the game was a trickster, he had seen his type before. The game intrigued him. Surely he was palming the pea, but was good enough to get away with it. Eventually his curiosity got the better of him, but he had an idea. He approached the man, and loudly enquired. "So, what odds are you offering, if I can guess the right shell?" He then pulled a gold coin from his pocket.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 209 posts
Fri 18 Oct 2013
at 10:13
Youth
"Simple, two to one odds friend." The youth reples, smirking back. "A gold piece will get you two in return. Maximum bet is ten gold."

He gestures to the pile of coins sitting at the table edge.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:48, Fri 18 Oct 2013.

Rona
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 18 Oct 2013
at 10:17
Re: Youth
The Half-Orc returns with your food and drink, setting them down on the table casually her attention still mostly on the game.

"Your friend will have to beat Khalid." She says, pronoucing the youth's name with obvious admiration. "I haven't seen him loose a bet all day!"

This message was last edited by the player at 11:34, Fri 18 Oct 2013.

Vithrain
 player, 160 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Fri 18 Oct 2013
at 11:20
Re: Youth
Vithrain tucks in to his meal with gusto. He needed this energy boost and while it wasn't the best food in the land, it was by no means the worst.

Vithrain didn't say much while he ate, letting the others make the conversation, and watching Mannath try to hustle the hustler. He did however lean towards his brother and say in a low voice, "1 gold says Mannath succeeds in hustling the smart arse." Then he goes back to eating.

Vithrain's eyelids are having a hard time staying open and he expects to retire to a bed shortly after the meal had settled in his stomach.