Act I, Scene Two: About Town.   Posted by The Gamesmaster.Group: 0
Vithrain
 player, 66 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 09:17
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Interestingly enough Vithrain stood quietly by, with a slight smile about his eyes and mouth. When the young miss had said about the armoury he had given barely a perceptible nod to her. She had seen his acknowledgement however and accepted it.
Mannath
 player, 47 posts
 Rogue
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 13:41
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
In reply to The Handmaiden (msg # 6):

"Sounds good to me. Let's go!"
Elstarir
 player, 57 posts
 Archer
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 15:44
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Elstarir looked at his brother with a smirk on his face and nudged him with his shoulder. There was that distinct starry eyed look on it that usually spelt trouble as his older brother tended to wear his heart on his sleeve and made a complete fool of himself when it came to issues of the heart.

Thankfully these things happened rarely as the bookish elf tended to get distracted easily with smelly mouldy scrolls and books and eventually lost interest, or in one case got thumped by the woman's husband he was staring at.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 90 posts
Fri 15 Feb 2013
at 23:26
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town


Chadda leads you down a narrow staircase into the cellars of the palace, passing sober faced guards and flickering torches. Eventually reach a heavily reinforced door of black northern oak. Producing a silver key the Handmaiden unlocks the door, revealing a small but well stocked armoury.

Since Kallamehr depends mostly on mercenaries there is not that much call for the city to supply it's own weapons: this room is normally only used by the city guards. Nevertheless there are shelves of helms in various sizes, suits of leather and chain and racks of swords, scimitars, spears, bows and axes laying at the ready. A quick perusal suggests most of it is no higher standard than what you are already carrying, with one clear exception: a large, circular bronze shield hangs in pride of place on the far wall. Chadda knows what this is: the shield of Rangor, legendary founder and first ruler of Kallamehr. The shield seems to shimmer with it's own light, the torch flickers strangely reflected in its polished surface.

Vithrain
 player, 67 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Fri 15 Feb 2013
at 23:46
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Vithrain looks to Chadda and says, "Mistress Chadda, may I touch this noble item? I wish to know more of it.  Oh, and brother, if you think there is any item here I may use please arm me with it."

If Chadda gives him approval Vithrain will walk over to the shield and lay a hand on it and use his 'Attuned' ability to identify its magical properties.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 23:46, Fri 15 Feb 2013.

Elstarir
 player, 58 posts
 Archer
Fri 15 Feb 2013
at 23:51
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Still grinning at his brother the young elf searched the armoury and found a good balanced short sword for him. Going back to his brother he strapped it on his brother while the Mage studied the shield.

"We'll brother dear just remember to stick the pointy end in the enemy."
The Handmaiden
 player, 3 posts
Sat 16 Feb 2013
at 11:33
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Vithrain:
Vithrain looks to Chadda and says, "Mistress Chadda, may I touch this noble item? I wish to know more of it."


"Sure you can touch it, but with the due respect: it is a fabled item in this city"
Mannath
 player, 48 posts
 Rogue
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 08:35
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
In reply to The Handmaiden (msg # 14):

Mannath looked around the armoury, slightly disappointed. He was expecting a large chamber full of quality blades and exotic weaponry, so to see a ramshackle mix of leftovers was unfortunate. Still, he explored the chamber to see what he could find. The shield was interesting, but he had no use for such an item so ignored it (although he couldn't help wondering how much it might fetch with the traders in Port Blacksand).

"Mistress Chadda, may we help ourselves as we see fit, save the shield?"

If allowed to, and if he can find some, he will select a decent dagger and a number of throwing knives, 6 if possible.
The Handmaiden
 player, 4 posts
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 16:53
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
"Help yourselves: these weapons are there to be used for the good of the Barony, not to be kept locked... and now we expet to use them quite a lot: our enemies will try and exploit this opportunity..."
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 91 posts
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 20:34
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Vithrain: as you lay your hands on the shield you feel a familiar warm tingle in your finger tips. Whatever else the shield is clearly enchanted...


Vithrain
 player, 69 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 22:11
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Vithrain paused a moment or two. "Hmm, interesting. This is indeed a power for good. This is a champions' shield and will protect whoever wields it. Chadda, if your town is attacked your best and most noble warrior should use this. Keeping it locked away would be a mistake. It is intended for use and for protection."

Vithrain steps away from the shield, and turns to accept the belt, scabbard and sword his brother attaches to him.

"I have no knowledge of its use, brother. But in that I see a challenge. Knowledge is power. However such knowledge can be dangerous, just like this sword."
The Handmaiden
 player, 6 posts
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 22:59
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
"And it shouldn't be kept locked away indeed! If one of you is strong and able enough to use it for good, we can take it with us, but in Kallamehr nobody will be happy to see it in the hands of a foreigner (and for them I am a foreigner too, as I came from Rabin with Mylady), so if we want to borrow it we'll have to cover it as long as we stay in Kallamehr or we may want to wait and see if our quest brings us away from Kallamehr."
Vithrain
 player, 70 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Mon 18 Feb 2013
at 00:15
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Vithrain replies, "I believe we will be here a short while yet, gathering the objects in the clues. I propose we collect it when we are ready to leave. brother? Friends? What say you?"
Elstarir
 player, 59 posts
 Archer
Mon 18 Feb 2013
at 19:21
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
" we'll I have no use for a shield and I think following the clues should be our priority" said the young elf." And I believe we should set to it soon before the killer of the Baron gets wind of our activity"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:21, Mon 18 Feb 2013.

The Handmaiden
 player, 8 posts
Mon 18 Feb 2013
at 19:24
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
"Have you taken what you need? Shall we have a walk around Market Square, just to start?"
Mannath
 player, 50 posts
 Rogue
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 07:50
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Mannath stowed his new weaponry about his person and nodded to indicate he was ready to go.

OOC - added weapons to my char sheet...
Tarrian
 player, 33 posts
 Adventurer
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 09:58
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
Because she was a warrior, her companions often assumed that Tarrian would be highly fussy about armaments. In truth, her interest didn't extend far beyond making sure that the business end of any weapon she carried was sharp and pointy. She let the men poke around to their hearts' content, but saw no reason to replace her sword or spear.
The Handmaiden
 player, 10 posts
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 18:39
Re: Act I, Scene Two: About Town
"OK, let's go to the Market Square"
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 93 posts
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 21:35
To the Market Square...


You retrace your steps from the armoury and make your way to the market-square.

Even the death of Baron Bluestone does not prevent the traders making their daily living, and the market-square is busy. Exotic goods, fine cloths and succulent foodstuffs adorn shops, stalls, carts and barrows. Business is brisk, and the locals have little time to take notice of strangers, though the Tarrian draws a glance or two; barbarian warroresses are rare even in cosmopolitan Kallamehr.

As you pass through the throng, a cry goes up. The crowds part as a lanky, ill-formed youth shoulders his way through, wildly swinging a vicious looking cudgel. Behind him, sprawled in a quivering heap, you can see a rich merchant. There is no room to draw a sword, and even if you did you would risk hurting innocent bystanders.



OOC: The thief is making directly for you, aiming to squeeze through the packed crowd and get away. If you try and avoid him Test for Luck. If you succeed he ignores you, if you fail he clips you with his cudgel (take 2 STAMINA points of damage) on his way through.

If you want to stop him you'll have to fight him without weapons (he might not care his swings smack a bystander in the face but you aren't going to accidently gut some civilian with a stray sword sweep). Fight with -4 to your Attack Strength since you have to rely on your fists and the odd headbutt. Temporarily replace your damage roll with this:

Unarmed Attack: 1 1 1 1 1 2

Tarrian still adds + 1 from Strongarm Talent.


LARGO THE SWIFT
SKILL 6 STAMINA 10

Armour: None
Attack: 1 2 2 2 3 3

Vithrain
 player, 72 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 22:22
Re: To the Market Square...
OOC question: My staff is always out and ready. I want to use it to trip the blighter as he goes past (ducking slightly to avoid the cudgel).
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 94 posts
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 22:37
Re: To the Market Square...
Vithrain:
OOC question: My staff is always out and ready. I want to use it to trip the blighter as he goes past (ducking slightly to avoid the cudgel).



OOC: You'll have to Test your Luck twice - once to trip him and once to avoid being brained by the cudgel.

Vithrain
 player, 73 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 23:16
Re: To the Market Square...
Results=
23:11, Today: Vithrain rolled 6 using 2d6. Take the guy down with staff. Target 8. Success!
23:11, Today: Vithrain rolled 4 using 2d6. Avoid being hit by cudgel. Target 8. Success!


As the scrawny blighter comes racing towards them Vithrain turns his staff diagonally and uses it skilfully to trip the man over so that he goes sprawling. As he does so he leans backwards and down slightly and manages to miss the flailing cudgel that swings close past his nose.

The guy goes flying towards the ground. Vithrain watches as the others pin him down and apprehend him.

Striding over to the merchant Vithrain holds out his hand to help the gentleman up.

"Anything hurt, Sir? Shall we go get back what he took?"
Largo the Swift
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 23:50
Re: To the Market Square...
Snarling Largo falls heavily against a vendor, slamming him to the cobbles. The ugly thief scrambles to his feet with startling speed and shoots a murderous look at Vithrian. "You and your friend will pay for that Elf." With that he swings his brutal cudgel overhead to bring it smashing down on the nearest target.


OOC: LARGO THE SWIFT
SKILL 6 STAMINA 10

Armour: None
Attack: 1 2 2 2 3 3

Largo isn't picky about who he fights so the first of you who replies will get the pleasure of being his target.

Tarrian
 player, 35 posts
 Adventurer
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 13:56
Re: To the Market Square...
A snarling Tarrian flings herself between Vithrain and the thief, her fists raised in the wrestling style of her people.  She dodges his first wild swing, and in an instant the two are locked in a tight grapple, Tarrian trying to kick out his legs and Largo trying to stave in her head with the butt of his cudgel.

OOC
Tarrian attack strength: 15
Largo attack strength: 16
Largo damage: 3
Tarrian damage reduction (armour): 0

Tarrian loses 3 STAMINA!


The Handmaiden
 player, 14 posts
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 18:02
Re: To the Market Square...
Chadda tries connecting with a kick.

18:00, Today: The Handmaiden rolled 7 using 2d6. kick to Largo.