Act I, Scene Two: About Town.   Posted by The Gamesmaster.Group: 0
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 110 posts
Fri 15 Mar 2013
at 23:58
Re: To the Market Square...
Mannath and Chadda get closer...


As you are listening you hear bootsteps and the wooden doors swing open. A scruffy looking dwarf peers out, takes a look at you and grins displaying a smile with more gaps than teeth. "A gold piece each for entry." As he does so he squints thoughtfully at Tarrian. "Another twenty for the barbarian if she's for sale."

The Handmaiden
 player, 42 posts
Sat 16 Mar 2013
at 07:32
Re: To the Market Square...
"What's on display?"

This message was last edited by the player at 07:33, Sat 16 Mar 2013.

Mannath
 player, 70 posts
 Rogue
Sat 16 Mar 2013
at 12:06
Re: To the Market Square...
Covering his mouth, Mannath whispered to his companions. "Sounds busy in there, and not just people. Our horned friend might be close at hand."

Turning to the dwarf he turned on the charm. "Each! My fine stout fellow you ask too much of our humble band. I'm sure that two pieces will cover us all. And if your nice, maybe my friend here might be inclined to give you a kiss." He winked at Tarrian, expecting to receive a scowl in return.

OOC - any kind to skill check for haggling?
Vithrain
 player, 88 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Sat 16 Mar 2013
at 23:22
Re: To the Market Square...
Vithrain does not look convinced.

He says in hushed tones, "I'm not convinced."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:22, Sat 16 Mar 2013.

Elstarir
 player, 72 posts
 Archer
Sun 17 Mar 2013
at 07:22
Re: To the Market Square...
"Neither am I" replied Estarir to his brother " These humans love to get themselves into trouble.... Stay close brother I wish no harm to befall you"
The Handmaiden
 player, 45 posts
Sun 17 Mar 2013
at 09:39
Re: To the Market Square...
Chadda winks, hoping that the rest of the group will play along and we'll understand better if inside here there's something that we're looking for.
Tarrian
 player, 49 posts
 Adventurer
Sun 17 Mar 2013
at 21:35
Re: To the Market Square...
As expected Tarrian did scowl at Mannath, although she did go on to offer the scruffy, smelly, gap toothed ugly dwarf a pretty smile.
Vithrain
 player, 89 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Wed 20 Mar 2013
at 10:59
Re: To the Market Square...
"So friends, do we enter and see what sport there is or mind our own?" Vithrain asks.

Looking at the building Vithrain wonders if it is even high enough to hold a Minotaur inside.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:01, Wed 20 Mar 2013.

The Gamesmaster
 GM, 112 posts
Wed 20 Mar 2013
at 11:50
At the Docks
The Dwarf smiles back at Tarrian (his smile is rather less pretty than yours). Flicking a shrewd glance at Mannath he runs a dirty hand through his ragged beard. "Hmm... well you look like you can provide some entertainment yourselves. And I like your barbarian. Tell you what we'll call it 3 for the group?"

He stretches out a grubby palm to shake on the deal.

Tarrian
 player, 50 posts
 Adventurer
Wed 20 Mar 2013
at 18:52
Re: At the Docks
Tarrian fishes a gold piece from her purse, ready to hand it over to the dwarf.
The Handmaiden
 player, 47 posts
Wed 20 Mar 2013
at 19:44
Re: At the Docks
"That could be a deal, but you haven't clarified what is up for show..."
Mannath
 player, 73 posts
 Rogue
Wed 20 Mar 2013
at 21:08
Re: At the Docks
Mannath was about to pull a coin from his pocket when he paused. The words the dwarf had spoken troubled him. Coin in hand, he looked down at the stumpy doorkeeper. "What do you mean, we could provide the entertainment? I'm not sure I like the sound of that."
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 113 posts
Sat 23 Mar 2013
at 19:40
Re: At the Docks
The Dwarf suddenly looks a little suspicious. He squints at you. "We bet on fights, all comers welcome... well excep wizards and followers of Ursel1.." He grins unpleasantly. "No one saying you have to fight yourselves of course, but you'll get a lot more coin if you do." He chuckles. "Provided you are the one still standing at the end of course."

He drums his dirty fingernails on the wooden door, clearly waiting for your decision.



1. Ursel is the goddess of peace, though Vithrain and Elstarir probably know her better under the name Liriel. Tarrian might not know her at all - barbarian tribes don't tend towards pacifism!
The Handmaiden
 player, 48 posts
Sat 23 Mar 2013
at 19:48
Re: At the Docks
Chadda hands her gold coin.
Mannath
 player, 74 posts
 Rogue
Sat 23 Mar 2013
at 20:16
Re: At the Docks
"Okay, I think for now I'll stick to watching..."

He also handed over a coin and stepped forward. Now just one of the others needed to pay up and they could all go in. The tightwads could get in the first round of drinks...
Tarrian
 player, 51 posts
 Adventurer
Sun 24 Mar 2013
at 15:23
Re: At the Docks
Tarrian hands over her coin.  She smiles encouragingly at Vithrain, who has never much been interested in displays of strength and physical bravery.  "They may have wine," she tells him.
Elstarir
 player, 73 posts
 Archer
Sun 24 Mar 2013
at 18:47
Re: At the Docks
Elstarir looked at his brother nodded then sighed and entered after the rest keeping close to his brother

This message was last edited by the player at 19:01, Sun 24 Mar 2013.

Vithrain
 player, 90 posts
 Wizard
 Brother to Elstarir
Sun 24 Mar 2013
at 19:49
Re: At the Docks
Vithrain smiles slightly back at Tarrian, and bows his head slightly in acknowledgement.

Entering the building, Vithrain notices it is very dark, but of course he can see perfectly well and so spots all the ner-do-wells lurking in the shadows and corners.

Taking a mental note of them all Vithrain scans the room for exits and minotaurs and trouble. He notices too his brothers' close proximity and puts a hand to the small of his back.
The Handmaiden
 player, 50 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2013
at 20:01
Re: At the Docks
Not 100% sure what a Minotaur smells of, but Chadda activates her nose as soon as she crosses the threshold. Same about ears.
Mannath
 player, 75 posts
 Rogue
Mon 25 Mar 2013
at 10:23
Re: At the Docks
Mannath also subtly scanned the room, watching out for potential trouble as well as looking for alternative exits should things get messy.

Acting casual he checked for a potential bookmaker, seeing what the odds were on the next bout.
The Gamesmaster
 GM, 115 posts
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 23:22
Re: At the Docks


As your eyes adjust to the dark interior and the flicker of torchlight what hits you first is the noise; the sheer wall of sound made by dozens of people cheering, cursing, laughing, shouting, arguing, betting in at least ten different languages. Immediately after that comes the smell of unwashed bodies, cheap alcohol and blood a potent conncotion that nearly knocks the two elves off their feet and even the humans in the group need to take a moment to recover.

In front of you someone has dug a pit maybe twenty feet across and six feet deep, ringed around by a stack of crates and and barrels to create a crude spectators gallery. That gallery is packed solid with the motliest crew of n'er do wells you've ever seen; blind drunk sailors, dockside harlots and street scum of every description. They are in a fever of excitement, clutching fists of coin and making side bets. At one end stands what can only be the master of ceremonies. A tall, olive skinned man in middle years, resplendent in garish silk pantaloons and an enormous turban he yells above the throng: "Who dares challenge the mighty Minotaur of Mellizand? Is there anyone brave and hardy enough to last the turn of the sand-glass? Come now, surely 100 gold pieces make it worthwhile?"

Down in the pit, you see a rather pathetic-looking minotaur. It looks starved and has several fresh stains of blood on it - presumably from previous challengers. It is certainly nothing like the magnificent beasts of legend you've all heard of.



Elstarir
 player, 75 posts
 Archer
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 23:26
Re: At the Docks
Elstarir leaned in towards his brother " this is not right that isn't a monster he is just different.... Like us. But for the grace of the woodland spirits go we. I cannot stand her and watch this we must do something"
Mannath
 player, 77 posts
 Rogue
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 07:44
Re: At the Docks
In reply to Elstarir (msg # 104):

Mannath spoke quietly in reply to his elven colleague. "I am inclined to agree. Whilst I enjoy a wager on a bout as much as the next man, this is simply torture of a defenceless creature. Eventually it will be bested and badly hurt or killed."

He scratched his bearded chin. "However, if you are talking about a rescue then it might be tricky. Any suggestions?"
Elstarir
 player, 76 posts
 Archer
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 08:12
Re: At the Docks
" none but perhaps we can find a way to get him out while one of us challenges him so we can get close and try to let him know we are trying to rescue him..... I feel he has a lot to do with our mission and if he dies we will fail."

He looked down at the thing in the pit " and I sense he is not a dumb creature but a man like us in all but appearance"

This message was last edited by the player at 08:13, Sat 30 Mar 2013.

Mannath
 player, 78 posts
 Rogue
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 08:32
Re: At the Docks
"Fight it?! Are you mad? If you want to then be my guest! I'm not going anywhere near it!"

The elf's words did make some kind of sense, but Mannath had no intention of volunteering!