Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))   Posted by The Stray.Group: 0
Trace Hargrave
 player, 45 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 04:41
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Hargrave kept his rifle free as he walked alongside Cox at a hurried pace back to Socorro. Earl and his hands were the only people he knew in this stretch of the Staked Plains, yet he suddenly felt a responsibility to protect everyone that called it home, even those he found reprehensible. Regardless of what they'd done, they didn't deserve to be left to the mercy of monsters.

"Earl rarely speaks of Bill," he explained. "I gather they had some kind of falling out. From what I understand, they haven't seen one another in years. Some time ago, Bill went off to fight in the Rail Wars." Even as he mentioned it, he idly wondered if he and Bill might have crossed paths in Denver.

As they drew closer to the Mission and the town, he narrowed his eyes, studying the gloom for any hint of threat.

22:37, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 5,4 using 1d8+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,2.  Notice.
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 131 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 13:58
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy nodded at the explanation as they moved toward the main part of town. "Rail Wars can change a person. Any kinda war can. Sometimes fer the better, sometimes not. Do ya know which side Bill was fightin' fer?"

The Ranger also peered into the night, trying to pick out anything that might be out of the ordinary.


05:57, Today: Catherine Hays Cox rolled 3,5 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,5.  Notice.
Townsfolk
 NPC, 13 posts
 The Salt of the Earth.
 P4 T5 F0 Extra
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 15:39
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
As Katy and Trace get to the main part of town, they see what looks like an impromptu posse forming. Barkeep has a lantern and is shouting something about shots in the graveyard. "It's them Mexicans!" he shouts. "They're stormin' the Rio Grande! Santa Anna's comin' to finish us off!"
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 132 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 16:24
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy slid her sidearm back in her holster as she approached the townfolk. "Whoa up, there, folks. Shots y'all heard fired in the graveyard were mostly mine." Katy pulled back the right side of her duster exposing the badge pinned there. She tossed a thumb toward Trace. "We're with the Texas Rangers. Found that cajun that left yer saloon some time ago robbin' graves. Seems like he mighta had some accomplices. Y'all see anyone headin' this way from the graveyard, ceptin' us?"
Trace Hargrave
 player, 46 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 16:35
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Hargrave shook his head in response to Cox's question about Bill. "Earl never mentioned who his brother fought for. I'm sure I could ask him. I'd be especially curious to know if it was Dixie Rails."

When Cox addresssed the agitated crowd, Hargrave hung back, letting her handle things. She was the Ranger, after all. He remained vigilant as she spoke, alert for any signs of trouble.
The Stray
 GM, 1863 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 18:06
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
((OOC: make me a Persuasion check, Katy.))
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 135 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 18:24
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy could be quite persuasive at times. Especially in Texas.

OOC: +2 is for the badge. 19 total.
10:21, Today: Catherine Hays Cox rolled 19,5 using d6+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of (6+6+5)17,3.  Persuasion.

Townsfolk
 NPC, 14 posts
 The Salt of the Earth.
 P4 T5 F0 Extra
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 19:18
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
There's a muttering from the crowd, and several nod their heads.

"Yup."

"Knew it. You can't trust them Cajuns."

"We'll find 'em, ma'am, and string 'em up fer ya!"

"Yeah!"

"Bet them accomplices were Mexicans. You know how they are."

Yeesh. Some people just stuck to a wrong-headed idea no matter how wrong it was.

"Anyone see which way them varmints went?" Barkeep yells at the crowd.

There's a whole lot of shrugging and mutters on the "nope" side.

A fellow with gold capped teeth steps up. "Hey...you think they might be headin' to the hills? There's some gulches there that make good hideouts." He coughs and looks around. "Er, so I heard, anyhow."

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:19, Tue 15 Nov 2016.

Trace Hargrave
 player, 47 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Tue 15 Nov 2016
at 19:44
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Hargrave stepped over to Cox. Keeping his voice low, he said, "The hills he's talking about, they're about ten miles outside of town. If we made the ride there, we'd end up passing through Earl Johnson's spread on the way."

He frowned, then added, "They'd make a good hideout for someone aiming to do mischief at the Johnson Ranch."
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 137 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 00:33
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy nodded at the responses from the hastily formed posse. Her lips drew into a thin line at the information about the hills. She didn't terribly like riding at night. Sometimes an exception was needed, however.

She nodded at Trace. "Let's you and I make the ride out there, then. Resta ya folks oughta get back inside fer now, but someone's gonna need ta clean up after the grave robber. But do that it in the mornin'. Not this evenin'. I'll let the padre know on the way outta town."

She turned to Trace. "Time ta saddle up."
The Stray
 GM, 1866 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 19:38
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
some mood music

Paul Revere once rode through the midnight hour to warn American patriots of danger headed their way. Though the CSA was no longer part of the union that had formed in 1776, the people within still revered the founding fathers, still told the stories.

So it was that two riders took off from the comforts of Socorro, slim though they were, to warn folks of danger.

But danger had already come.

Off in the distance, several miles away, Katy and Trace spoted light on the prairie. The only thing that could make a blaze like that was something massive on fire. Something like, say, a ranch house. And the air was filled with the snapping of distant gunfire.

The ranch was under attack.
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 139 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Wed 16 Nov 2016
at 23:20
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
"Gunfire." As if there was any chance Trace hadn't heard. Katy quickly and easily slipped her pistol out of its holster. "Looks like we're the cavalry, cowboy." It wasn't the first time Rangers had provided mounted relief to the besieged. And it wouldn't be the last.

"Let's see what all that commotion's 'bout. He-ya!" Katy urged Isabelle to a gallop and pointed her toward the sounds of gunfire.
Trace Hargrave
 player, 48 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Thu 17 Nov 2016
at 15:15
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Hargrave nodded in silent agreement, urging his appaloosa stallion, Scout, forward to keep pace with Cox. His face was lined with sudden worry. Earl Johnson had only been his employer for a matter of weeks, but in that short time, he'd grown to respect the man. He had seemed honest, scrupulously so, and spoke more than once of how he found his work, his connection to the land, rewarding, despite the frequent hardships that came with being a cattleman. He and his hands had welcomed Hargrave as one of their own, treating him as though he had worked alongside them for years.

One thing was certain: None of them deserved this kind of betrayal. He only hoped that he and Cox were not too late to help save them and all they had worked to build.
The Johnson Ranch
Fri 18 Nov 2016
at 17:51
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr-6FuwOFNA">some mood music</a>

The two riders race toward the flames.

The main house is ablaze. It's certainly dooms, as is anyone still inside if something isn't done fast. There's a woman screaming from somewhere inside...sounds like the second floor. An older man and a small boy lie unconscious a short distance from the front door, probably overcome by the smoke.

The gunfire seems to be coming from a knot of riders surrounding the bunkhouses. There's gunfire from within the bunks--some of Earl's hired hands defending themselves.

At the other end of the ranch, horses scream as black figures slam on the barn's doors and walls. The black figures moan hideously.

((OOC: Alrighty! So I'll give you a bit to figure out which problem you wish to tackle first (or if you're splitting up to do multiple things), then we'll draw initiative. Here's a map of the situation.))


Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 140 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Sat 19 Nov 2016
at 19:37
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
"Ain't lookin' good." Katy looked over at Trace. "This the Johnson place? Looks like we gotta lot on our hands." Katy's pistol was in hand. She pointed with it toward one of the second floor windows. "Mebbe we give the lady a way to hop onta one of our horses while givin' a hand ta those defendin' the bunkhouses? Ya know the layout better'n me, though."
Trace Hargrave
 player, 49 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Sun 20 Nov 2016
at 20:01
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
"The main house is the one on fire," Hargrave offered, "I think we should try to help those that are there first, then contend with the attackers." His eyes flickered to the older man that had fallen on the porch and he wondered if it was Earl Johnson.
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 141 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 13:30
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy nodded. "Main house it is." Katy spurred her mount into motion again. "Ya!" She was headed toward the main house and the screams of whomever was trapped inside.
Trace Hargrave
 player, 50 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 17:56
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Leaving his rifle in its boot, Hargrave drew his Colt and followed Cox to the burning ranch house.
Caroline Johnson
 NPC, 1 post
 Homemaker
 P4 T5 Cha +2 F0 Extra
Mon 21 Nov 2016
at 18:39
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
The house is cheerily burning by the time Katy and Trace close in. The man on the ground is, indeed, Earl Johnson, and he's clutching his son Connor close to him. Both of them are unconcious, but still breathing, though the smoke is obviously getting to them to judge by the coughs.

The screams sound like they're coming from the second floor. "EARL!? EARL!? WHERE ARE YOU!? EAAAAAAAAARL!"
Trace Hargrave
 player, 51 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 12:51
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Hargrave paused to tie a bandanna over his mouth and nose, then kicked the front door open, his eyes searching for a clear path upstairs.

06:49, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 9,5 using 1d8+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 7,3.  Notice.
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 143 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 16:05
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy called after Trace. "Trace, ain't it easier ta get em out the second floor? With our horses, we ain't so far down."
The Stray
 GM, 1873 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 16:32
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
There does appear to be a path through the burning building, though Katy's suggestion does have merit.

((OOC: It'll require an Agility check to get through the building to avoid damage. It'll require a Climbing skill check to get up the walls to the second floor, if you decide to go that way. either way, you'll have to make some Vigor checks to avoid fatigue from the smoke, though the bandanna will give you a bonus on those.))
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 144 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 16:51
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy dismounted and grabbed the reins of Trace's horse so it didn't bolt while Trace was picking his way through the fire. She looked for a good spot to tie up the mounts in case it became necessary.
The Stray
 GM, 1874 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 03:24
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
((OOC: While I'm waiting for Trace to decide exactly what he's doing and make the required rolls, I'd like you to make me a Notice check, Katy.))
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 145 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 03:50
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Notice of 3.