Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))   Posted by The Stray.Group: 0
Trace Hargrave
 player, 52 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 04:01
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Looking at the interior of the burning building, Hargrave realized that Cox's suggestion of climbing was likely the wiser course. Moving to the left of the door, he searched for handholds on the house that he could use to pull himself up to the second floor, but despite his best efforts, he wasn't able to scrabble up there.

21:57, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 1,2 using 1d4-2,1d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 3,4.  Climbing.
The Stray
 GM, 1875 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 04:15
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy wrangles the horses, keeping them calm. They seem quite skittish all of a sudden...is it the flames? Or can they smell the walking dead men?

Trace isn't able to get purchase enough to climb up. Looks like he's going to have to do this the hard way.

((OOC: Alrighty. Looks like you need to go in, then. I'm going to need a Vigor roll and an Agility roll from you. The Vigor roll is to avoid fatigue from smoke inhalation, and the Agility roll is to navigate through the building without getting hurt.

I award you 1 random chip for this act of bravery.))

Trace Hargrave
 player, 54 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R1 B0
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 08:59
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Tightening his bandanna, Hargrave charged into the building, dashing up the stairs with all the speed he could muster.

02:55, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 5,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.  Vigor.

02:55, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 1,4 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Agility.

Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 146 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Sun 27 Nov 2016
at 18:02
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy yelled after Trace. "If ya can't come back this way, just out the second floor winda! Yell if ya need help!" It didn't make sense for both of them to run in at the same time. But Katy would charge in after Trace if he got trapped.
Caroline Johnson
 NPC, 2 posts
 Homemaker
 P4 T5 Cha +2 F0 Extra
Tue 6 Dec 2016
at 17:40
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Trace rushes through the burning building, avoiding the flames and, at one point, a collapsing roof timber. he makes it upstairs without a scratch, and heads for the woman's screams (which seem to be fading).

He finds Caroline Johnson, Earl's wife, in their bedroom on the second floor. She's sobbing and coughing, and doesn't seem to be taking in the surroundings much. "Earl?" she gasps. "Connor?"
Trace Hargrave
 player, 55 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R1 B0
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 14:22
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Hargrave gently gripped Caroline by the shoulders. "Missus Johnson? It's me! Trace Hargrave! Connor and Earl are already safe! We need to get you out of here!"

As disoriented as Mrs. Johnson seemed, Hargrave doubted that she could navigate the dangerous stairwell, or if it could even safely bear their weight now. He moved to the nearest window that faced the front of the house and tried to throw it open, breaking the glass with his elbow if it refused to budge.
Caroline Johnson
 NPC, 3 posts
 Homemaker
 P4 T5 Cha +2 F0 Extra
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 20:27
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
"Trace...?" Caroline gasps, then starts coughing hard. The window, thankfully, wasn't barred, and Trace is able to open in easily.

Outside in the darkness, Katy hears some shouts from the bunkhouses. "Hey! Turn round, you maggots! Gid-yup! Get them!"

Then, the thunder of hooves...the raiders are heading their way!
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 151 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R1B0L0
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 23:26
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy yelled up at Trace to make certain he understood the situation. "We got unpleasant company comin', Trace! Get 'er down here and let's deal with these fellas."

OOC: Distance to the raiders? What are they armed with, and are they pointing guns at Katy?
Black Riders
 NPC, 1 post
 From Hell's Heart
 P6 T8 Cha - F0 Extra
Mon 26 Dec 2016
at 21:48
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
((OOC: The closest of the riders is about 12" away, but they're on horseback and closing fast. They look to be armed with Peacemakers, and yes, they are pointed in your general direction.

Waiting on Trace's action before I develop this scenario))

Trace Hargrave
 player, 57 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R1 B0
Wed 28 Dec 2016
at 02:06
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
OOC: Quick question for my own understanding. Now that the window is open, where does it lead? To a portion of the roof? Could the top of the covered porch be reached from there? Or is it a single story drop to the ground?
The Stray
 GM, 1887 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Wed 28 Dec 2016
at 03:04
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
((OOC: There's a map further up the thread if you want more of a reference, but the window leads to a small patch of sloped roof, which then leads to a drop. It's possible to get to the porch along the roof, but would take an Agility check to navigate.))
Trace Hargrave
 player, 59 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Sun 1 Jan 2017
at 16:01
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Choosing his steps carefully, Hargrave led Caroline down the sloping roof toward the covered porch. As they moved, he tried to devote the whole of his concentration to seeing the woman to safety, not allowing himself to be distracted by the swiftly approaching marauders.

09:46, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 3,3 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Agility.

I really don't want Mrs. Johnson harmed on my account, so...

09:48, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 2 using 1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Red Chip - Agility.

Which will bring the Agility total to 5.

The Stray
 GM, 1890 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Wed 4 Jan 2017
at 01:12
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
((OOC: Take a random Fate Chip for heroism, Trace.

I think we need to break into combat rounds now, so draw me some initiative cards. Be aware that since you're back-lit,

Black Riders: 8C))



Map of the immediate area

Trace Hargrave
 player, 61 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W0 R0 B0
Wed 4 Jan 2017
at 02:28
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
20:25, Today: Trace Hargrave drew the single card: RJ! using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 154 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R2B0L0
Wed 4 Jan 2017
at 04:18
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
20:16, Today: Catherine Hays Cox drew the single card: 4D using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.
The Stray
 GM, 1893 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 16:20
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Turn Order
Trace: RJ!
Black Riders: 8C
Katy: 4D
Caroline: not a combatant

Trace Hargrave
 player, 63 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W2 R0 B0
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 01:56
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Yelling to Caroline to get down, Hargrave unslung his rifle and dropped to his stomach on the roof of the porch, snapping off a shot at the closest of the approaching riders.

Drawing Rifle (Multi Action)

19:34, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 8,4 using 1d8+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 6,2.  Agility.

Free Action: Drop Prone

Shooting at Rider (Northernmost Rider on Map; Multi Action)

19:38, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 4,4 using 1d10+1,1d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3.  Shooting.

If that's a hit...

19:40, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 8 using 2d10+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,2.  Damage - Rifle.

19:53, Today: Trace Hargrave drew the single card: AS using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

Black Riders
 NPC, 2 posts
 From Hell's Heart
 P6 T8 Cha - F0 Extra
Tue 10 Jan 2017
at 19:28
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Trace's aim is true, and the rider pitches from its horse, gets dragged along behind it by it's boot for a few moments, then the boot flies free and the rider lands in a crumpled heap. It does not move.

The other riders charge, and as they ride closer to the firelight, it's clear that most of them are dead men riding. Their rotten flesh hangs from their bones, their clothes are worm-eaten and moldy, and one of them even has a bare skull. Despite their deadness, they move like living men, raising pistols and snapping off shots at Katy and Trace.

The most alive-looking of the bunch, a rough-looking man with a ragged scar over one eye and a distinct resemblance to the man passed out by the door, rides out in front.

"This ain't none of your affair!" He shouts. "This here is justice a long time in commin', and you're outnumbered! My boys will rip the flesh from your hides with their teeth if you don't run off!"

He points to the barn. The shambling dead have stopped trying to tear it down and are now shuffling towards the inferno, moaning.

"See them?" the scarred man shouts. "They're comin' for ya, and you ain't got enough bullets for all of them! Run now while you still can, and maybe you'll see the sun again!"


((OOC: That will make the Rider Shaken, which means it needs to make a Ride check to remain on its horse. As it doesn't have Ride, this is a Default roll.

12:00, Today: Black Riders rolled 0 using 1d4-2, rerolling max with rolls of 2.  Ride.

Nope. Down it goes. It takes 2d6 damage from the fall. It winds up taking 8 damage, enough to Shake it again, which instead means it suffers a Wound and goes down for the count. One Rider gone.

The Riders go next. Bill Johnson attempts an Intimidate Test of Wills on Katy. He has Strong Willed, so he gets a +2 bonus on this.

12:08, Today: Bill Johnson rolled 6,9 using d6+2,d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,(6+1)7.  Intimidate ToW.

Katy, roll Spirit to resist.

Meanwhile, the Riders take shots. Two shoot at Katy, two shoot at Trace. Trace has Cover from being Prone, and the deaders are firing from an Unstable Platform. They move this round, so they don't get the benefit of their Marksman edges.

Vs. Katy: 12:11, Today: Black Riders rolled 3,1 using d10-2,d10-2, rerolling max with rolls of 5,3.

Vs. Trace: 12:12, Today: Black Riders rolled 1,-3 using d10-4,d10-4, rerolling max with rolls of 5,1.

The deaders around the barn notice the commotion, and begin shambling towards the house. They move their Pace, and that's all for their action.

Rider card: 6D))


Katy is next!
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 155 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R2B0L0
Tue 10 Jan 2017
at 20:00
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
11:43, Today: Catherine Hays Cox rolled 14,11 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (6+6+2)14,(6+5)11.  Spirit.

Katy sighed heavily at the sight of the dedders on horseback, but the suggestion that she might take off, well, that just made her dig her heels in even more. The Black Riders apparently weren't aware of her stubborn streak. "Dammit Bill, ya disappoint me. Such a disappointment. Here I done promised th' deputy he could arrest some livin' folk. And here ya show up like this. And ya jus' know I can't let ya keep on like that."

She briefly considered the shambling-on-foot dedders. "May not have enough bullets fer them, but I gottanuff fer you."

Her weapon was already pointed in the general direction of who she assumed was Bill Johnson. Nothing left for it but to squeeze the trigger and fan the hammer to fill the air with lead.

OOC: Half of them hit, but damage isn't so great. 6,7,6 for the 3 bullets that connect (all AP 1)


11:58, Today: Catherine Hays Cox rolled 6,7,6 using 2d6+1,2d6+1,2d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3,1,5,2,3.  Damages.
11:57, Today: Catherine Hays Cox rolled 2,5,1,4,7,2,1 using d8-2,d8-2,d8-2,d8-2,d8-2,d8-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,7,3,6,(8+1)9,4,3.  Fan that hammer.

Edit:
12:00, Today: Catherine Hays Cox drew the single card: 8H using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:01, Tue 10 Jan 2017.

Bill Johnson
 NPC, 2 posts
 Envious Brother
 P6 T9 Cha -4 F0 W0 Harrow
Sun 15 Jan 2017
at 00:38
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
The bullets rip through the man with the scar, who jerks around...but doesn't fall. He sticks a finger in one of the bloody holes in his chest, and pulls it out. It's wet with blood that's gone very, very dark.

"Is that a fact?" He smirks. "Somehow, I gots my doubts."

((OOC: Nope, that damage isn't going to bother Bill in the least, sad to say. None of those do enough to even make him Shaken.))

Turn Order
Trace: AS
Katy: 8H
Riders: 6D

Trace Hargrave
 player, 64 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W2 R0 B0
Mon 16 Jan 2017
at 04:22
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Hargrave whispered for the aid of the landvaettir, but the wights did not reply. Remaining focused on the battle before him, he centered the sights of his rifle on Johnson's head and squeezed off another shot.

Free Action: Activate Smite

21:49, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 2,1 using 1d8,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1.  Hexslinging.

21:55, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 6,3 using 1d10-1,1d6-1, rerolling max with rolls of 7,4.  Shooting - Called Shot - Head.

21:56, Today: Trace Hargrave rolled 15 using 2d10+4, rerolling max with rolls of 8,3.  Damage - Rifle.

21:58, Today: Trace Hargrave drew the single card: QH using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

The Stray
 GM, 1903 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Mon 16 Jan 2017
at 04:33
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
((OOC: Trace, can you run me through all the bonuses and penalties you're taking into account there? I think it's -4 (Called Shot), +1 (Trademark Weapon), +2 (Marksman) but I want to make sure I've got that right.))
Trace Hargrave
 player, 65 posts
 Drifter
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W2 R0 B0
Mon 16 Jan 2017
at 04:39
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
OOC: Yes, sir. What you've listed (Called Shot/Marksman/Trademark Weapon) is precisely what I used to determine the final modifier.
Bill Johnson
 NPC, 3 posts
 Envious Brother
 P6 T9 Cha -4 F0 W0 Harrow
Mon 16 Jan 2017
at 19:03
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
The shot is good, and in a decent world, the man would be down. But whatever Bill Johnson had become, in the years since he left home, it had made him something...other.

The bullet hits the man right in his already-scarred eye, and he jerks...but still does not fall. He looks up at the house, in the general area where Trace was, black blood oozing down his face. "Well, don't say I didn't warn you none. Get 'em, boys!"

((OOC: That's going to be a Wound for Bill, so he spends a chip and attempts to soak.

11:58, Today: Bill Johnson rolled 5,5 using d10,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,5.  Soak.

He soaks, but is down to 1 chip.))


Katy is up!
Catherine Hays Cox
 player, 160 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P5 T6 W0 F0 Cha0 W4R2B0L0
Tue 17 Jan 2017
at 14:32
Prelude: Don't Drink The Water ((Trace, Katy))
Katy's gun spat out the spent cylinder as she slapped another one in, then repeated the hail of lead she had just sent Bill's way moments before. Seemed like a couple of them connected, but based on what she'd just seen - it was hard to say if that would be good enough to take the dedder down.

OOC: Two hits, 9 and 10 damage. QD initiative.

06:27, Today: Catherine Hays Cox rolled 9,10 using 3d6+1,2d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 3,1,4,4,5.  Damages.
06:27, Today: Catherine Hays Cox rolled 2,1,10,2,3,5,3 using d8-2,d8-2,d8-2,d8-2,d8-2,d8-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of 4,3,(8+4)12,4,5,7,5.  Raining lead.


06:31, Today: Catherine Hays Cox drew the single card: QD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:32, Tue 17 Jan 2017.