Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))   Posted by The Stray.Group: 0
The Stray
 GM, 2033 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 02:50
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Kills Iron Horse:
Kills Iron Horse stands stock still at that. Walks the Night Alone looks at her. [Language unknown:   "Yinounrat na blemanble..."]  He starts, but she makes a curt gesture, cutting him off, and stomps through the mud until she is glaring directly into Belle's face. Her hand snakes out, and she grabs Belle's earlobe and twists, painfully.

"Listen...to...me." She growls, in accented but perfectly understandable English. "I hear your barking just fine...bitch." She tweaks Belle's ear harder. "Do not confuse not wanting to speak your jibber-jabber with not able. I have killed your iron horses, sent them plunging off their trails to their deaths! Do not think for a moment I will let your white medicine man come near me with his poisons!"

That attention Art was trying to avoid? It is now squarely on the group, and people are staring at the scene. Someone starts shouting for the soldiers.


Belle Ivers:
Belle was stunned into silence, though perhaps not in the way the woman had intended.

She didn't yell.  She didn't go for a weapon.  She just stood there.

"Have you ever been in a train when it goes off the rails because of sabotage?  I have."  Belle spoke quietly.  "The world is fire and hatred, the sound deafens.  It was some days before I recovered my hearing, they feared me rendered deaf permanently for some time.

"I woke up in my mother's arms.  She was dead.  I would have been badly, badly burnt but for her taking me into her bosom.  My father was a horrid, burnt husk, I only knew him because I recognized his waistcoat. Our poor housekeeper was full of shrapnel.  The little girl I had been playing silly games with was mangled to pieces.  Her brother with the pronounced widow's peak was completely obliterated, literal pieces of him stuck to the wreckage."

She paused just a moment to escape the memories.  She couldn't linger on them any longer than that or she'd relive her worst nightmare over again.

"Now, I admit it is not a proud time for the industry.  Illegal lines and tracks are too common and do have to be forcefully removed, however I have a great deal of experience with this, and often the least effective way of stopping these operations is to attack the actual train directly."

Belle spoke the truth as she earnestly understood it, but there was something that escaped her even now: the larger truth.  The strange man she'd been debating with may or may not have been right on every single little point, but Belle suffered from hubris so deep she couldn't even realize it, thanks in no small part to the corruption of her own mind from the very spirit she couldn't believe in.

She had always seen herself as someone who helped turn a savage and disgraceful practice into the least damaging one possible  It was true she personally had always thought to set the sawhorses and the warning signs, triply redundant and illuminated, and precisely calculated so that the last of the three was at the point of no return, and the prior two allowed far more leeway that was strictly needed to stop.  What Belle didn't understand was that her personal practice was a rare display of basic human decency in an industry which had almost none.

And in one of the great ironies of the universe, Belle Ivers, professional saboteur, had in fact never actually derailed a train carrying passengers, despite her profession.  Even if she had been a sociopath who didn't care about the humans inside, Belle Ivers would always spare a train engine.  They were special machines unlike any other, they whispered to her.

It was also true she had been praised for these efforts, but only because someone had crunched the numbers and discovered that it cost the rival rail line more to recover a stranded train than it did to simply just lose the train.  While they recovered the engine, the fact that the engine was out of commission for so long greatly warped the economics, as did the considerable expense of the recovery operations.  Belle's thoughts for the lives of the sabotaged rival's customers and the well being of the machines themselves were never once considered by anyone besides herself and a handful of fellow Enforcers who bothered to listen to her.  And even they wrote it off as one of her many known eccentricities.

She thought her methodology becoming standard was a way she had changed the course of the rail wars for the good.  And perhaps it had saved some lives where it was followed her and there, but it was only a standard on paper and it was another step to follow that most people who were willing to blow up a bridge didn't care about.

Belle believed this practice she'd innovated to be rigidly enforced.  It wasn't.


Art C. Wiley:
Art shook his head at the question, trying to interject himself between the two women. He half-expected the universe to explode when Kills Iron Horse touched Belle, given their combined mass and how opposite they were. Yet the universe survived. For now. And the time for pleasant conversation was at an end. "Okay, I tink we all needa get movin'. NOW."

Art looked around for someplace suitable for them to disappear. And not be trapped. And not draw more attention to themselves.


Matthew Broaddale:
Matt was in the middle of helping Maddox back into the Mint when the white noise of New Science turned into threats and physicality.

He scanned the rain-soaked streets as people began to stare.

"You know," he said in a mildly harried tone, "If everyone would like to go inside, I'm sure we would all enjoy getting out of the rain, out of public. I'll buy everyone a-" he stopped, remembering how Sitting Duck ran off with his money.

"-Well, it's dry inside, anyway."


Union Troops:
Haverford takes the files with him when he leaves, and Von Steinhof heads towards the meeting place...when it occurs to him that he does not, in fact, actually remember where he was supposed to meet up. Must be all the whiskey he downed. It was a saloon of some sort...

As he's pondering that, he sees a squad of soldiers heading rapidly towards the north of town. They had their weapons at the ready, so it seems like something interesting was going on...


Kills Iron Horse steps away from Belle as if she'd been burned. The Dog Soldier looks at Belle with...it looks like she can't settle on an emotion. Horror? Shame? Anger?

The arrival of Matt seems to get them moving, however. The two Cheyenne look over at Moses and Art, apparently looking to them for their lead, while the stocky Sioux just scowls.

"Injuns!" someone shouts. "We got a war party of Injuns in the streets!"

Uh-oh. And now there's a squad of blue-uniformed troops heading their way...


Freiherr von Steinhof:
Leopold flicked a speck of dust from his coat, folded his hands behind his back and strode after the troopers.


The Stray:
The soldiers are heading toward what looks like a group of people gathered over by the Mint. He sees a large black man, a red-headed man dressed like a native, three actual natives, that crazy scientist lady who'd been running around, someone with a marshal's badge, and that Maddox fellow.

Someone is screaming about Indians assaulting people, though it doesn't look like anyone's assaulting anyone at the moment. Also, he recognizes the red-headed man and two of the indians -- The man was the one with him when Black Kettle was killed.


Moses:
Moses sighs and reaches out towards Belle. "You have much pain, Belle Ivers. And Kills Iron Horse has much pain. Little Crow, too. Everyone has pain. We carry it with us, like Buraq carried Mohammed to Jerusalem. When the load becomes to heavy, we lash out."
He takes a few steps and moves precisely between the two women, reaching out a hand towards them both. His staff falls into the mud, forgotten for now.
"Will at least you two allow Moses to bear some of your burden?"

Union Troops:
"Injuns!" someone shouts. "We got a war party of Injuns in the streets!"

Uh-oh. And now there's a squad of blue-uniformed troops heading their way...


Moses looks toward the men, then up into the sky. "Lord... Thy humble servant begs your help. Enough have died today."

He looks at Art, Little Crow and Walks the Night Alone. "Let Moses be your shield and comfort." then looks back towards the soldiers.


Maddox:
"They're not a war party, see you, they've just never seen a redhead beside the ginger there," Maddox calls over to the soldiers from cover of the boardwalk, physically flinching if that draws Moses' attention. "They're waiting for Wells, say they've got fair buisness with her, science fiction or church, I can't tell that at all."

"Well I did warn them," he says uneasily, rubbing his arm as though cold, and attempts to slide away inside.


Belle Ivers:
Before she can answer Moses' question, Belle stops to address the looming problem.

"A worthy inquiry sir, but might I make an attempt to prevent a horrendous misunderstanding first?  As much as it pains me to say it, my Massachusetts based ancestry may avail us if I should speak to these gentlemen, some of whom may be familiar with me from before..."

Belle raises her hands and turns to face the soldiers.

"No, please do not be so unduly alarmed, it is no such thing as that gentlemen, I assure you.  They merely stopped to ask for directions about town.  In fact I believe they were just communicating to me they wish to be expeditious about their business.  It's okay, I'm a mechanic.  I can tell."


Ezekiel Starkweather:
Union Troops:
"Injuns!" someone shouts. "We got a war party of Injuns in the streets!"


Zek heard the cry, and glanced back at Bill and the Coot. Then he glanced back into the direction of the scream once more. "Bill...keep an eye on the old man for me, ok?"

He headed for the cries of panic, most likely a mistake but he did so anyways. He saw the lady scientist trying to talk down the Union Troops, and saw Marshal Broaddale and Maddox there as well. Clearly they where better off trying to make the troops stand down-but it did not seem like they where having any luck.

"Hey! You folks are pestering my injuns! These are my trackers-and they work for me. I got bounties to find-and the lady in question is needed for our work. So can't a man make a living around here?" He turns to the native people in question, and speaks in their language. It even changes up in mid sentence.

[Language unknown:   "Ou ntlo il, terticear unel stutei. Diul lin reaek di in mi almeil. Ou whtadire hiai red sheeauine, ilri the ugh memo lias..."]

[Language unknown:   "Re meil ence, nderla oulou cketno. Ismi ch ar ekout ro n ticntiday. E lesoveithrea ect lotha ichwasiou, no iv ess thiut ive..."]

[Language unknown:   "To hail se, essthiere univ preectder. Witic we ekfor it ai n ithreaest. Ac nicafopa meat ndech ousdershe, io encwe lithu io lin..."]


((OOC: Waiting for Moses and possibly Von Steinhof to weigh in here.))
Moses
 player, 544 posts
 A prophet or a lunatic?
 P6 T8 W0F0 Cha-2 W1R0B3L2
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 10:52
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Moses just stands there, as if he was an inmovable object, his hands, palms upwards reached out towards the two women - one, who'd give her live to keep trains running and the other who had taken lives when she derailed one.

He does'nt acknowledge any of the comments from anyone, but keeps looking at the soldier leading the small group.
The Lords was kind enought to let the dead man's words be understandable to Moses, but for now, the black giant remaina silent.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:52, Tue 21 Feb 2017.

Freiherr von Steinhof
 player, 402 posts
 Officer and Gentleman
 P6 T5 W1F0 Cha:+2 W0R0B4
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 10:57
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
"My, my, my...."

Leopold slightly quickens his pace to catch up to the Union soldiers. He utters a greeting to everyone in the group, trying to draw attention to him.
"I must say there is never a moment of boredom in this town", he says in his heavily accented English. He ishes for his cigarette case, pulls one out and then taps his coat. "Oh, my dear God, I forgot my matches. Does any of you fine gentlemen have one to spare? I shall trade you one of my finest pieces of Turkish cigarettes for it!"

He chuckles. "I know, it is not quite a kingdom, but I am also not looking for a horse."
Union Troops
 NPC, 78 posts
 Bluebellies
 P5 (6) T5 Cha 0 Extra
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 16:06
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
The troops huddle together, lowering their voices as they discuss the situation.

"Well? What do you think?" The squad leader asks.

"I think they's injuns, alright." one of the soldiers says.

The Corporal sighs and and rubs his forehead. "Thank you for that report, Captain Obvious." He mutters. "I mean, what do you think of the mountain man's story?"

"I think I'm here to kill Injuns, not be their goddamn babysitter, sir." The soldier replies. "If he wants to claim this pack of annoyances, I say let him have 'em."

Another soldier, one more grizzled and unkept, stares at Kills Iron Horse. "Look at the Squaw."

The Corporal winces. "Goddammit, Wilkins! Are you ever not thinking with your John Thomas?"

Wilkins shakes his head. "No, I mean look at her! And the white guy in the buckskins! Look real hard."

All the soldiers look at Art.

"Well I'll be dipped in shit and rolled in breadcrumbs." The Corporal growls. He raises his rifle, and the others follow suit. They aim at Art and the Cheyenne. The Corporal looks over at Zeke. "I'm afraid you're just gonna have to do without -- these here are wanted prisoners of war!" he looks over at the group again. "Throw down your arms and raise your hands above your head, or by God Almighty we will shoot you down!"

((OOC: I make a check on behalf of the Soldiers to see if any of them happen to recognize Art or the Cheyenne...

08:44, Today: Union Troops rolled 1,9 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,(6+3)9.  Notice.

That's a roger. Art, take a Fate Chip for your Outsider and Trouble Magnet hindrances coming into play.))

Ezekiel Starkweather
 player, 317 posts
 Mountain Man
 P6 T10 W0 F0 Cha 0 w2r3b2
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 16:29
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Zek spits off to the side. "So much for doing things the easy way..." He growls. He doubted the union troops would be aiming at him, as they have the natives on their minds and Zek was clearly unarmed. However, he does reach deep within in order to give the others a chance to run.

(OOC-Preparing to use the whirlwind power. Giving the other PCs a chance to do something in case they can think of another way out. Do I need to roll initiative?)
Belle Ivers
 player, 305 posts
 Iron Horse Whisperer
 P:6 T:5 W:0 F:0 W3R1B1
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 17:08
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Belle's physical proximity to the Dog Soldiers is arm's length, longer?
Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 374 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 17:09
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Art cursed inwardly at the turn of events. He could generally get himself out of whatever imprisonment they had in mind, but the others wouldn't be so easy to break out again. There were a lot of weapons pointed their way, though. Fortunately Art didn't have any weapons to drop. Unless a person counted his walking stick.

He did at least raise his other hand, the one not holding his staff. "Can ya be tellin' us wha' we be wanted fer? I do no remember committin' any crime." Stalling might help. Stalling always helped, right?
Maddox
 NPC, 109 posts
 Gunslinger
 P7 T8 (2) W0 F0 Cha 0
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 19:47
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Maddox does actually accept the leaning-room, further evidence of how badly Moses' intervention has shaken him up. He pretty much drops onto a barstool, nodding to the 'keep, then looks a little sidelong at Marshal Broaddale before indicating with a nod that he'll stand the man a drink. "Beer for myself," he orders.

"All right, I am going to plan and drink, see you, until either Wells gets her arse back here or I fall off my stool."
He frowns at the noise from the street, but just pays for the drinks and gets out another poster and a pencil.

He looks at the girl depicted a moment before sighing and turning the sheet over to pin under his glass and start making a map of Deadwood and its immediate hinterland.
Union Troops
 NPC, 79 posts
 Bluebellies
 P5 (6) T5 Cha 0 Extra
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 20:25
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
In reply to Art C. Wiley (msg # 7):

"How about desertion, Private?" The Corporal says evenly. "Or perhaps impersonating a soldier? Add to that assisting in the escape of prisoners of war, who themselves are spies for a force of hostile renegades planning ill intent and mischief." He cocks his rifle. "Now, you can come along peaceful-like, or we can fill you and your redskins full of holes. Which is it gonna be?"

((OOC: @Art: Refer to message #68 on the Ten Thousand Arrows thread

@Belle: About arm's length, yes.

@Zeke: Well, give Moses and Art a chance to reply to this message here before doing your Mojo. We'll consider you On Hold for now, which means you'd have the opportunity to spring into action before any shots fired if you beat the soldiers on an Agility check.))

Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 375 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 20:34
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Damn. It's those same guys? Small world. Gotta steal me another uniform.

"All those charges ha' been cleared by Colonel Manning. If you be taking me to see him, he can verify dat. The Injuns also were cleared by de Colonel. They be staying here while we go speak with Manning. They will no go anywhere while I be with you, and I be going all peaceful like in dat case." He looked to the soldiers for their response. "Jus lead th' way."

OOC:
12:32, Today: Art C. Wiley rolled 3,11 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+5)11.  Persuasion.

Now, there might be as much as a -6 to that roll for Outsider + Intolerance, but that's still a success?

This message was last edited by the player at 21:02, Tue 21 Feb 2017.

Moses
 player, 545 posts
 A prophet or a lunatic?
 P6 T8 W0F0 Cha-2 W1R0B3L2
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 22:02
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
"No."

Moses doesn't speak forcefully, but his deep, rumbling voice carries the simple word far enough for all to hear. His stance is unchanged, but now he looks more like he's praying in front of a congregation.
"No", he repeats.
"Moses has come here to find the Woman Who Remembers The Future. The Lord has told Moses that he must do this. These people are under the protection of the Lord Almighty and all the Spirits of Good and Light. You have no right to them. They have broken no laws in the Eye of God. Moses commands you to lower your weapons and let Moses and his flock be in peace. There will be no bloodshed today."
He lowers his head.
"Or Moses will not be able to save your souls from damnation"

((Calling down some righteous Divine Intervention: Peacemaker.
Spending one of my Legend Chips... and rolling Faith at -2

22:59, Today: Moses rolled 9,2 using d8-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of (8+3)11,4.  Faith.))

Freiherr von Steinhof
 player, 403 posts
 Officer and Gentleman
 P6 T5 W1F0 Cha:+2 W0R0B4
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 22:05
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Leopold fidgets with his cigarette, still unlit.
He strokes his moustache in a nervous gesture. This... this was uncanny. He slowly inches away from the group of soldiers, towards their side, then looks up to the sky.

He had been raised Catholic, of course, but he had seen too much in his life to remain a true believer.
But now he offers a silent prayer, pulling some almost-forgotten verses from his memory.
Belle Ivers
 player, 306 posts
 Iron Horse Whisperer
 P:6 T:5 W:0 F:0 W3R1B1
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 23:15
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Belle had an idea... then... that happened.

Curious.  Well, perspective is worth fifty points of IQ, she reminded herself.  She opted to leave herself the option of trying it later should this... whatever it was, go awry.
Union Troops
 NPC, 80 posts
 Bluebellies
 P5 (6) T5 Cha 0 Extra
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 04:47
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Art C. Wiley:
"All those charges ha' been cleared by Colonel Manning. If you be taking me to see him, he can verify dat. The Injuns also were cleared by de Colonel. They be staying here while we go speak with Manning. They will no go anywhere while I be with you, and I be going all peaceful like in dat case." He looked to the soldiers for their response. "Jus lead th' way."


The Corporal grimaces.

Wilkins scowls. "Should I shoot them?"

The Corporal glares at him. "So help me, if you speak another goddamn word out of turn I'll transfer you out to Pole Man Road and leave to Sargent Butler to straighten out. Do you understand me, Private?"

Wilkins gulps. "Yes sir."

The Corporal turns to Art. "As for you...fine. You're free to go. But I'll be watching you and your little band of hooligans, Mick. You so much a breathe funny, and I swear..."

Moses:
"No."

Moses doesn't speak forcefully, but his deep, rumbling voice carries the simple word far enough for all to hear. His stance is unchanged, but now he looks more like he's praying in front of a congregation.
"No", he repeats.
"Moses has come here to find the Woman Who Remembers The Future. The Lord has told Moses that he must do this. These people are under the protection of the Lord Almighty and all the Spirits of Good and Light. You have no right to them. They have broken no laws in the Eye of God. Moses commands you to lower your weapons and let Moses and his flock be in peace. There will be no bloodshed today."
He lowers his head.
"Or Moses will not be able to save your souls from damnation"


The soldiers shiver. The Corporal swallows. "Er...um...yeah. Stay out of trouble." He says, motioning to the squad. They raise their rifles and let down the hammers, then slowly back away from the band, looking at Moses with more than a little fear.

((OOC: @Art: It surely is, especially when Trouble Magnet comes into play. That's a 5 after mods, so yes, that's a Success.

@Moses: Actually, Art's roll was high enough to diffuse the situation before Moses's roll, so I'm going to refund Moses' legend chip, and instead I'm going to count that faith roll as a bonus, which bumps Art's success into a Raise. There will be a situation requiring a Miracle eventually, don't worry.))

Ezekiel Starkweather
 player, 318 posts
 Mountain Man
 P6 T10 W0 F0 Cha 0 w2r4b2
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 05:11
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Zek watches the army men go, as if he took his eyes away they would start shooting. He turns about towards the natives,  and speaks once more in what he hoped was one of their languages.

[Language unknown:  "Ut u esssetnde usme com I lin, hi n notanyameand acred. At M po ome hetimo roio omsa mo ons enio latresone. Orewh stathaugh on ei e tin la tr omeoerhou ofard ardredman ithillwit. Ad ngnd whe orewasess an wheeveeen us proles."]

[Language unknown:  "M n litrca anyro no N oer, ol on heromeessore out. Eenlo A ac os wersomave osan ncdi inne beain sta ndeticwas. Ureek oulmensti und noone me haast nte a ssnota itil trwhun ofinss. Proer son caons mincol aveni dinlatlat al shethorom."]

[Language unknown:  "M st chlale itnc wa O lat, e u venearstirom atme. Werel Th ta nc stilinthe ant ck osis ove pr ettoac. Thi evestiort ce ca os ev ive i ressetlat teei eauentnte aieeho. Arno me pori astencyin padin hertedtha nd laanha."]

While they decide weather or not to speak to Zek...he knew it would not be the first time he was ignored by any of the native folk. Unlike most of the whites, any follower of the old ways could tell what he was. He was a damned thing, unclean, even if he tried to help. He did not blame them in the least of course.

He did then turn to the large black man. His words made Zek...itch. Not just because Zek believed in almost nothing. No doubt the man had real mojo of some kind. The thing Zek carried around in his skull was not fond of it.

However, it was what the big man had said that drew Zek's intrest.  The fact the native people where willing to travel with the man, and that he was willing to protect them...somehow...was enough to deserve him some trust.

"So...you looking for a woman who says she knows the future?  Cause I know somebody like that..."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:16, Wed 22 Feb 2017.

Little Crow
 NPC, 19 posts
 Angry brave
 P6 T6 F0 Cha 0 Hechman
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 05:33
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
The stocky Lakota turns and glares at Zeke. [Language unknown:  "Ear nc selo nt ere artruthas Ca i ithconhou. Asil les is, Ichdinhasout. Undad fi neall pais p eluton i Thuro Enutac illessant."] he pauses, then adds, [Language unknown:  "Hou be onsartwit m prrene ainencate nt ai omhengsaheolst Saeiit."]

Both Kills Iron Horse and Walks The Night Alone sigh.

[Language unknown:  "Nillmi lill."] Walks The Night Alone says. [Language unknown:  "M, nc witonsrat, relobe utto itwit mison day venatedin. U it ith sion nde sanromtio a."] He turns to Art and Moses. [Language unknown:  "Sonho inore, ar ticca. Str ar ro sa hi ter ek houpa, pepr ssprer be le ulit Ss Popeck, oun pre e hare'info ri she ol mi latal houeveear e seacpe? Na a Lepo, nceproers e?"]

Kills Iron horse looks around. [Language unknown:  "Conev us o tha anho noecat, ce, lo iv titra starutess ion ma. U nt istire n t whi t ll estit thilut."]
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 374 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 05:44
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Broaddale stayed with Maddox just a moment before moving to the door of the Mint. He listened and watched the situation with the soldiers develop.

As the soldiers departed, Matt held open the Mint's door, indicating once again that the indoors might be more comfortable. He quirked an eyebrow at the threats bandied back and forth.

"Wells is due back here as soon as she finishes visiting with a friend."
Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 376 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 07:31
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Art watched the men go, though when they turned, he did frown a bit. He had been hoping to get an easy way to see Manning. The opportunity had almost been there, but it was just beyond his grasp. Green eyes watched the blue coats depart, and then turned toward Zek. "I do be adding me own thanks as well. Tryin' ta help folk that ya don't know when ya might get those guns turned on ya, that's brave, and it be appreciated." Art did furrow his brow a little at what he notice about Zek, but that seemed like a conversation for later.

"And, ya, we be lookin' specifically fer a woman tha' remembers the future. If ya know someone like tha', we'd be grateful fer more assistance in findin' this oracle."

Art did turn a little toward Walks the Night Alone and spoke in a low voice to the Dog Soldier. [Language unknown:  "Ro iowhmi en t Ntchng, etntni ek. Ove pebeinbe. K caceme ei vorst adinie m ataldi der al whe houanyconout os houioucon o butma. Son o se avehouout ithmenlat li hatticwaspro wil, u paevwipe adel'trom taplte a com le ainous'proect acli-nounio ev asri."] It always came back to the Coyote.
Ezekiel Starkweather
 player, 319 posts
 Mountain Man
 P6 T10 W0 F0 Cha 0 w2r4b2
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 12:52
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Zek kept his eyes down as the Lakota threatened him. If he took offense, he clearly did not show it. It hardly came as a surprise for Zeke.

When Walks Night Alone addressed him, he placed one had over his heart, and did a slight bow to the man. [Language unknown:  "Hi astli eiatle wheearandion stant Ek acos out atno tersonion ta hi. "] he replies. When Kills Iron Horse speaks, he nods in agreement at her words.

When Broaddale points out Wells is coming back soon, Zeke gestures for the three to get inside the Saloon. It would give them covers from army eyes at least.

However, when Art expresses his thanks, Zeke looks very curiously at the man with his own green eyes. "Not a problem." He said in response to Art's statement. "Although to be honest,  I never asked her for any proof, so Jackie Wells might just be crazy. However, to be fair - I have seen stranger things happen."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:41, Wed 22 Feb 2017.

Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 378 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 15:01
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
When Zek looked over at Matt, Art's eyes followed. He wasn't sure what to think of the man - Matt seemed to be trying to help, and perhaps he was doing so out of the goodness of his heart. But things had been rather odd here since they arrived. Art couldn't help but be a little suspicious. But Broaddale's suggestion to get indoors certainly had merit.

Art smiled at Zek and nodded, his head bobbing slightly under the hood that he wore. "Crazy or no, it do sound like de person we seek. Her knowing de future mebbe not so important as what she be knowing about today."

Art looked again toward where Zek gestured and Matt suggested they go. He began to move in that direction, his hand falling to Kira's head. The dog had remained remarkably calm throughout.
Freiherr von Steinhof
 player, 404 posts
 Officer and Gentleman
 P6 T5 W1F0 Cha:+2 W0R0B4
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 16:21
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
When the soldiers left, Leopold remained, puzzled as to what had just happened.

There was the dead man that had taken such great offense at Leopold pointing a gun to his head, too. And there was talk of Jackie Wells - while he hadn't looked for her in particular, she was one of the people he had been looking for.

Matt Broaddale. Jackie Wells. Logan West. Haverford. Probably a few more. Something truly big was in the works here, when so many luminaries of the US had been sent here. Or maybe they were drawn? he mused.

It wasn't unheard of. When Eleonore of Schwarzenberg's ghost had appeared and possessed her great-grandniece, Marie, there had been several adventurers who had converged on the Castle of Crumlaw. That Polish mystic. The young priest. Leopold himself, of course. Well, he had been sent there by his superiors in the Evidenzbureau, but still.

How did Sebastian know I am with the Bureau? he pondered. A crafty fellow, that one.

Leopold put on a smile and walked towards the group around the huge negro.
"This was very entertaining on a very boring day like this. But I have an urgent request: Do any of you have a match for my cigarette?"

Yes, he had the greenhorn completely down.
Moses
 player, 546 posts
 A prophet or a lunatic?
 P6 T8 W0F0 Cha-2 W1R0B3L1
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 16:22
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Moses, seemingly pleased with the soldiers leaving, ignored the rest of the going-ons.
Trading looks with Belle and Kills Iron Horse, he asked again:
"Will you two allow Moses to carry some of your burden?"
Old Ways Braves
 NPC, 75 posts
 Old Ways Indians
 P7 T6 W0 F0 Cha 0
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 19:27
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
The Braves look at the saloon. Walks The Night Alone shrugs at the match request...he had no idea what the white man with the funny accent was asking about. But shelter -- that, he understood, and he headed for the saloon, following Art.

Kills Iron Horse just...looks at Belle, emotions flickering on her face, and then at Moses, and fairly bolts after Walks The Night.

Little Crow just wrinkles his nose. He makes no move toward the Saloon.
Ezekiel Starkweather
 player, 320 posts
 Mountain Man
 P6 T10 W0 F0 Cha 0 w2r4b2
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 19:34
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Zek waits with Little Crow, saying nothing at first but looking around for more troops to show up. He had to get the man inside-lest he bring down more danger on the other two. He exhales, looks over at the proud warrior, and speaks quietly. [Language unknown:  "Ckutwi wehis m athe ounelo un out il ck virnceone bleoreaveoulive." ]

This message was last updated by the player at 19:35, Wed 22 Feb 2017.

Little Crow
 NPC, 20 posts
 Angry brave
 P6 T6 F0 Cha 0 Hechman
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 19:47
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
The Sioux glaaaaares at Zeke. [Language unknown:  "Isha, trev enlost e astkorica, power to strencpre tewillng t p ecwita homind. E ioniis thwas ounurence etiv eennceany caleti thi ectthatic to ek conpretio."]
Ezekiel Starkweather
 player, 321 posts
 Mountain Man
 P6 T10 W0 F0 Cha 0 w2r4b2
Wed 22 Feb 2017
at 19:54
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
In reply to Little Crow (msg # 25):

Zek does not look offended at the man's words. Quite the contrary-he nods in agreement. [Language unknown:  "She ofngni e menainted pl aitehi tio usto cead essme of k al tho sansetoulest iepe focaol eshech om essanyear?"]
Belle Ivers
 player, 307 posts
 Iron Horse Whisperer
 P:6 T:5 W:0 F:0 W3R1B1
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 02:42
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Belle let out a deep breath.  She'd had some wild idea about what to try, but the way it had resolved was far, far better than anything she'd have come up with on the spot, ignorant of the apparent history there.

Moses' gentle inquiry did stir a response however.  Not that Belle understood what he actually meant, she just thought he was an adorable and odd fellow.  Belle liked the strange man and didn't know why.

"Well perhaps you could sir... but it seems despite my earlier belief, the target of your search draws nigh on her own.  Do you not wish to attend your errand first at least?  I beg your pardon a moment sir.  Je saute du coq à l’âne!"

When the stranger asked for a light, Belle was quick to react.

"My no sir!  You should cease smoking, the resulting cocktail of chemicals cut into most commercial tobacco is positively poisonous!  Mark my words, one day they will look back on a time smoking was common and marvel at our collective ignorance!"
Little Crow
 NPC, 21 posts
 Angry brave
 P6 T6 F0 Cha 0 Hechman
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 02:52
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
In reply to Ezekiel Starkweather (msg # 26):

[Language unknown:  "Ati wa ainprelesthu ec enwail, ure k unro fi unstic tio hat. Maar, lo, ess, eau."] The Sioux's dog impression is pretty good. [Language unknown:  "O mo omhis everesund wi oer."] He pointedly turns his back on Zeke, and looks at Moses. [Language unknown:  "Her redsethis saarck ngrihe onion Saloin For Nteughastlat Li Illsanwhi ro illwasnce meas o peet tio men notithame hiou, ast si ng aseen ceera al admabe ro ntou. Omthe n prostryin. Onfor es pe a toster. Rea ountinher ut ssforeno i il anttrasom la ecuton stlar has hiscomioutic ughoreher tanoal p itpoha, ncfor ai reacto oulth i not yin?"]
Ezekiel Starkweather
 player, 322 posts
 Mountain Man
 P6 T10 W0 F0 Cha 0 w2r4b2
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 03:53
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
In reply to Little Crow (msg # 28):
[Language unknown:   
"O sta ect thoet ieouil ckasho, eehi outwerres ter foes e somno ughto ticel tin ac roos ai. Hiica is nteainthi, ma tra she tedoreich tersanent thaee iou ei. Eiss tiourepro u earll stilla...tadi her erla po somwitlarast Asliut-acmi toheel witatevenconenc plwhll."
]
Zek replies to the man.
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 375 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 03:54
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt grimaced.

[Language unknown:  "Chtr. Virwi me ica ussti thu. M foolno plssbe risa comthohis, Sanhasint om Rataresti. K stifo ounectted ndbell m hat wi paermall ast strwilson wh o dinmi ncekse, een It Roomol ich andounive en tio anyoveent. Ul rutestles tinnterom Ofmen le Eiieth ie urmoar mo aroun pro ainanyear ac tiool prble ionsethis. Lelo nowhe proersugh hi m po ho. Eauthowhi."]
Little Crow
 NPC, 22 posts
 Angry brave
 P6 T6 F0 Cha 0 Hechman
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 06:33
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
[Language unknown:  "P pl ati dipo e possus."] Little Crow says. [Language unknown:  "I st ntema llekwe ith Era Safi Lo ierimeel strom a O tious tinas hershelat ticlindinles iseeut anplfi ma ticencare m romtr isriou, Me po butanyare befofi es bletioure hasho oumewe to lawe sti thoblelin ourthoect."] He leans against the wall. [Language unknown:  "Era Be Tiec All eenen e evec ec er chera ad conorevor u re perom Is Eenintame dayeraeen. Iv eve Ma Ounsetcom sions, il stee thethueau ho ilsaou, Ma loseng ce se ousratour o itbut?"] He shrugs. [Language unknown:  "K ch thu entlatday sa om m iveillhat, Thopropre Plil. Romratard at ho."]
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 376 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 06:35
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt took off his hat and shook the rain from it.

"Arf. Woof. Bark."

He turned and went inside.
Moses
 player, 547 posts
 A prophet or a lunatic?
 P6 T8 W0F0 Cha-2 W1R0B3L1
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 07:45
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Little Crow:
He shrugs.


Moses had lowered his arms and picked up his staff. "With the Lord's help, Moses would shield you from the bullets. You are lost in the dark, Little Crow, but you are not lost to it, yet."

He looked at the Ravenite hateful eyes, then slowly shook his head, as if remembering something. He repeated his words in Siouan, and added:
[Language unknown:  "Undstiore olre ut ent tr alna tr wa atnc sela Tedrutder Ntera Andvennotant Art Iouwileen."]
Freiherr von Steinhof
 player, 405 posts
 Officer and Gentleman
 P6 T5 W1F0 Cha:+2 W0R0B4
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 07:55
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Belle Ivers:
When the stranger asked for a light, Belle was quick to react.

"My no sir!  You should cease smoking, the resulting cocktail of chemicals cut into most commercial tobacco is positively poisonous!  Mark my words, one day they will look back on a time smoking was common and marvel at our collective ignorance!"


The stranger in the light blue uniform flashed her a warm, genuine smile.
"Ah, but this is not American tobacco. It is the finest Turkish variety of the Ottoman Empire! I do not doubt that there is poison in your cigarettes, but the Turks use Cardamon instead. I believe so, at least."

Unsucessful in his search for a match, he put the cigarette away again and gave Belle a slight bow.
"But I have forgot my manners! Allow me to introduce myself", he started, the second sentence apparently such a well-used phrase by now that it's hard to distinguish where one word ends and the next begins.
"I am the Major Leopold, Freiherr von Steinhof, military attaché to the diplomatic mission of the Great Empire of Austria-Hungary to both the United and the Confederated States of the United States and officer in His Apostolic Imperial Majesty Franz Joseph's army."

He gently took Belle's hand and mimicked kissing it, his lips hovering a fraction of an inch above her skin in true gentleman's fashion.
"Enchanté"
Kira
 player, 19 posts
 Faithful Wolfhound
 P6 T6 F0 Xtra W5R4B1
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 14:57
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Kira made her way inside with Art, and as was customary for a wet dog, she shook vigorously when she made it into the dry interior of the Mint. Anyone watching closely would note that the shaking started with her head and ended with her tail. After eliminating as much water from her coat as she could, the dog panted a few times, then loudly licked her nose before returning to silently padding alongside Art.
Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 379 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 14:59
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Art turned his hooded form slightly away from Kira as the dog sprayed water everywhere, then looked over to Broaddale. He offered his hand. "I be Art Wiley. Thanks fer guidin' us in here." Once introductions were out of the way, Art looked around the saloon.
The Mint Saloon Interior
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 16:12
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
The Mint is about in the middle of the road as far as Saloons go. There's a bar with a dandified barkeep, scattered poker tables (mostly empty, this time of day and weather), a Faro table, and a pool table where a hardcase woman and a shadowy gentleman in a top hat are sinking balls. Other than a passed-out drunk at one of the tables and a bounty hunter-looking fellow at the bar, the place is pretty dead.

The barkeep watches Art, his dog, and Kills Iron Horse entering with some consternation. It might have something to do with the sign on the mirror that says:

No Irish
No Indians
No Dogs

Matthew Broaddale
 player, 377 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 16:50
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt took Art's hand and shook it, "Matthew Broaddale, US Marshal's Service. You are the last person I would expect to see in this company, Mr. Wiley. If you're looking for a countryman, Mr. Maddox at the bar is Welsh." he blanched subtly as he realized that comparison made no sense.

Matt stared at Leopold for a brief moment, wracking his brain with why the man looked familiar.

Spotting the sign forbidding...everyone who just walked in, Matt gave a long-suffering grimace to the bartender. The place was run by an Irishwoman, wasn't it? Her husband was an immigrant, at least. Matt didn't claim to be the most enlightened of men but he never did understand the levels of compartmentalization some people went through to discriminate.

He eyed the pool table a moment.

OOC: Shadow. Top Hat. Green Eyes? Look like Gary Oldman?
Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 380 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 17:04
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Art nodded at the Marshal. "Nice ta meetya, Marshal Broaddale. An while me speech may no make it sound so, I do be from Mizzouri. I guess tha' be makin' those from the C.S.A. me countrymen." He shrugged, as he really wasn't particularly fond of either of the countries to the east.

He then spoke quietly to Matt. "Do ya know the bartender? It does no look like we be so welcome here."
Dandy Don Meridith
 NPC, 11 posts
 Big barkeep
 P# T# Cha +# F# W# notes
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 17:06
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
"I don't make the rules." Dandy Don, the barkeep, says. "I'm not allowed to serve them, though i won't toss 'em out into the storm. I just don't want to upset the other customers. Not after that rude Pawnee from earlier."

"Oh, don't worry about me or Miss Hewitt here." The shadowy man in the top hat says. He looks at his pool partner. "It was Hewitt, yes?"

((OOC: Actually, Kitty Leroy was born in Michigan, so not so much.

You can't see his eyes, but he does bear a resemblance to Gary Oldman, yes))

Matthew Broaddale
 player, 379 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 17:37
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt indicated Art, "Well he's from Missouri, anyway."

He moved closer to the pool table, keeping half an eye out on the rest of the room. He set his hat down on the table and ran a hand through his close-shorn hair. He shot a smile at Daisy.

"What's the game, friends? 8-ball? Bank pool?"
Mr. Sebastian's Shadow
 NPC, 1 post
 It's alive!
 P6 T5 Cha -2 F0 hench
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 17:43
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
"Oh, this is just a friendly rack-up." The shadowy man in the top hat says. "We haven't laid any bets yet. Incidentally, good to see you again, Marshal Broaddale."

There really ought to be more of him visible, but even up close it's hard to make out details of the man. Though Matt definitely recognizes his voice.
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 380 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 17:53
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt patted his pockets in mock-searching.

"I'm a little dry this week anyway, until I get to the bank. My rainy day money happened to be in my luggage, which has since gone missing," he said, "I'm sorry, sir, my eyes are adjusting from the outside. Would you mind stepping into the light?"
Daisy Hewitt
 NPC, 26 posts
 Bring it.
 P5 T5 Cha -2 F0 Extra
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 17:59
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Daisy grins at Matt, but tilts her head a bit at the interaction between him and the shadow man; should the latter take his attention off her entirely, she'll make an odd little flicking flexion of the fingers with the hand that's on the cue.
Maddox
 NPC, 110 posts
 Gunslinger
 P7 T8 (2) W0 F0 Cha 0
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 18:04
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Maddox eyes the newcomers warily, sips his beer and continues staring pensively at his map, making little additions now and then.
Mr. Sebastian's Shadow
 NPC, 2 posts
 It's alive!
 P6 T5 Cha -2 F0 hench
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 18:55
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
In reply to Matthew Broaddale (msg # 43):

The shadow man gives Matt a hearty chuckle. "I'm afraid that won't help. Your eyes are not the problem. But I'll be glad to have your luggage delivered to your new lodgings. Where are you staying now?"

Maddox, over at the bar, recognizes the shadow man's voice as well.
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 381 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 19:12
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt sneered a second, then his face fell.

"I-..." He couldn't remember. He recomposed himself and straightened his vest.

"I would prefer it if you could locate Jane Canary and the pistol of Jack McCall." he said quietly, pulling a cue off the wall, "I'd also appreciate it if you would quietly commend yourself into my custody, but I don't imagine that's as likely."
Mr. Sebastian's Shadow
 NPC, 3 posts
 It's alive!
 P6 T5 Cha -2 F0 hench
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 19:35
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
The shadow man chuckled. "Then perhaps I shall have it delivered here. It seems as good a meeting place as any." he says. "And you are in luck! Calamity Jane is currently being seen to by an army medic at the Grand Central Hotel. Jack McCall's pistol is still in the hands of that houngan, Black Jack Bordeaux, who has been staying at the High Times Saloon. And even if I were to submit this form into your custody, it wouldn't last long enough for you to do more than look foolish. There is nothing here but smoke, mirrors, and will holding it all together. I've had quite enough of being accosted while going about my business. This simulacrum allows me the freedom to do what I need to and remain safely out of your reach. I must thank my brother for teaching me this trick." He banks a ball, but it skitters off the mark, and he sighs. "Ah, well. Can't win them all. Your shot, Miss Hewitt."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:37, Thu 23 Feb 2017.

Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 381 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 21:10
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Art's ears perked up a bit (something one could visibly see if he weren't wearing a hood) at what the shadowy figure had to say. He took a step closer and addressed the fellow. "Beggin' yer pardon, sir, bu' didja say Calamity Jane? An' tha' she's in need of a doctor?"

Calamity Jane was one part of the laundry list of things he had been sent to town with. He mentally went through his checklist, and then mentally rearranged things. Perhaps delivering a message to her would be easier than most of the other stuff. Best to get all the clutter done first, then focus on the big stuff.
Daisy Hewitt
 NPC, 27 posts
 Bring it.
 P5 T5 Cha -2 F0 Extra
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 21:15
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Daisy starts a little and plays a very distracted shot with predictable results. "Dangit."
Maddox
 NPC, 111 posts
 Gunslinger
 P7 T8 (2) W0 F0 Cha 0
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 21:18
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Scowling a little, Maddox makes sure his pistol is in easy reach and leans back a bit to look for the mirrors.
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 382 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Thu 23 Feb 2017
at 21:37
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt turned to Art, "Rog here says she's in the Grand Central."

He turned back to Sebastian. He looked at the table, then to the shadowy figure in front of him.

"You much of a gambling man, Roger?"
Mr. Sebastian's Shadow
 NPC, 4 posts
 It's alive!
 P6 T5 Cha -2 F0 hench
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 00:21
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
In reply to Art C. Wiley (msg # 49):

"What an echo we have in here." The shadowy figure says as he lines up a shot. He strikes well, and sinks first one, then another, before missing a third. "Yes. Poor Miss Canary is suffering from a concussion, courtesy of Cousin Maddox's rough handling during his arrest of her after the Gem fire."

The shadow man grins. "I am, if the stakes are right. What did you have in mind?"
Belle Ivers
 player, 309 posts
 Iron Horse Whisperer
 P:6 T:5 W:0 F:0 W3R1B1
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 03:54
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Belle seemed more amused with the antics than anything.  She liked people with obvious similar interests, but those were rare.  In their absence she would settle for people who were amusingly odd and she had encountered a good many of those today.  In another bitter irony, it never once occurred to Belle that she might be considered amusingly odd by some.  Or at least plain odd.

"It may well be more pure sir, it may well be, but I trust no tobacconist's product any more, for good or ill.  Still, a visitor from the continent?  How curious.  I've not encountered a self-admitted continental European since I had to translate for a Frenchmen who wanted to get to the Maze as soon as possible, and that was some time ago.  Before that, it was a Flemish man who made ridiculous claims of recovering some Egyptian amulet.  Can you believe the ridiculous stories some people will tell?

"But you'll forgive me, my manners are terrible today, as I have become unfocused.  Belle Ivers, of no particular appellation beyond that of the Iron Dragon Rail Line, presently."  Belle's story had some apparent truth to it.  A close inspection of her hand bore evidence that she tried to keep them clean, a semi-permanent layer of soot and engine grease seemed to never quite escape her.  "Well perhaps I am also called Firehair here lately, which I'd never thought of until present, but if it follows the native cultural convention accurately I shall not oppose it.  Their culture seems to have a somewhat insular quality, as do many others, and an acceptable identity would be a useful starting point if I am to ever obtain any cultural understanding whatsoever.

"Now if I might impose on your assistance sir... this Herculean gentleman here seems rather... amiss, though sincere.  I believe very much he should meet this Miss Wells.  It is my sincere hope she knows him and will be able to assist.  He seems lost.  Sadly I do not believe his arrival party cares for my person or presence very much, which I cannot in good conscience take offense to given how... confused the poor lambs seem to be, yet perhaps I am not the best person to bid him enter and wait."
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 383 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 04:09
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt sighted down the cue, checking exactly how ungodly warped it was.

"Eight ball. Miss a shot, answer a question honestly and fully. I win, you and I have a face to face. You win..." he paused, "well, what do you want?"

He looked at Daisy.

"Once your game with Daisy is done, of course."
Mr. Roger Sebastian Whateley
 NPC, 142 posts
 It's in the blood
 P7 T6 W0 F0 Cha -2
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 05:20
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Daisy picks up an easy score while the shadow man considers this.

"What do I want? hmmm..." he watches Daisy miss a second ball by inches. He takes a shot...and completely shanks it. The cueball hits the pocket instead of the intended target. "Scratch. Damn." The shadowy figure looks over at Matt. "Well, in the spirit of full honesty, I want the Special Services Agency to back off of their investigation into the affairs of my family, and of the organization I now represent. I want that mountain man who attacked me and my brother in the Bella Union dead, locked up, or at the very least out of my hair for the foreseeable future. Likewise, I'd very much appreciate it if former deputy Jackie Wells were muzzled somehow, or bothered someone else. None of you people have the faintest idea what I've done for this community. There's this pernicious idea floating around that simply because of my bloodline, I must be up to 'bad things' which 'must be stopped at all costs.' You people don't even know me. What I am doing, what the entire Enlightened Society is doing, is for the eventual benefit of all mankind."

Daisy misses a shot, and the shadow man takes aim. This time he sinks one, two, three balls in a row before missing. Daisy's striped balls now fill the table. The Shadow Man only has a 3 and the 8-ball left.
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 384 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 05:41
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt was quiet a moment.

"I can't speak as to the Secret Service, Mr. Sebastian," he said, looking at the table, "And I can't say as I know much of the Enlightened Society. But, if you win-" at this he stepped closer to the table and knelt down, eyeing the lie Sebastian had left Daisy.  Satisfied, he stood again.

"Not to play your game, Daisy, but if you put 11 into 14 right here, you can get it and 12 into that pocket in one, and pick up 11 into the upper right on the second shot. That gives you options," he advised.

"If you win, Mr. Sebastian, I'll talk to West, Bullock, anyone else I can about backing off, as long as you stay out of trouble. And you'll have won a stay of my hand, at any rate."
Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 382 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 07:04
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
As the two men moved on to other pursuits, gambling for high stakes in this case, Art stood idly near the entrance waiting for this Jackie Wells. He did want to find Calamity Jane to deliver his message, but the Woman who Remembers the Future was more important at the moment.
Mr. Sebastian's Shadow
 NPC, 5 posts
 It's alive!
 P6 T5 Cha -2 F0 hench
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 07:27
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
In reply to Matthew Broaddale (msg # 57):

Daisy nods, takes a shot...and gracefully sinks the eightball. She sighs, tosses the cue on the table, and stomps off to the bar to have a drink.

"Well, it would appear that we have an opening." The shadow man says. He picks up the pool cue, sets it aside, and begins pulling the balls out of the pockets.

"So. Each missed shot, from either of us, allows the other to get one truthful answer to a question of their choice. If you win, we meet face to face. If I win, you use your influence to get my annoyances to back off. Do I have that right?"
Moses
 player, 548 posts
 A prophet or a lunatic?
 P6 T8 W0F0 Cha-2 W1R0B3L1
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 08:52
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Outside Moses sat in the rain next to the brooding Sioux, quietly humming a song, his fingers slowly turning his staff round and round.
[Language unknown:  "Rissli il werinterevor... whi paac in oer vir fiica, Adsaek Ll?"]
Freiherr von Steinhof
 player, 406 posts
 Officer and Gentleman
 P6 T5 W1F0 Cha:+2 W0R0B4
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 09:16
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Belle Ivers:
"It may well be more pure sir, it may well be, but I trust no tobacconist's product any more, for good or ill.  Still, a visitor from the continent?  How curious.  I've not encountered a self-admitted continental European since I had to translate for a Frenchmen who wanted to get to the Maze as soon as possible, and that was some time ago.  Before that, it was a Flemish man who made ridiculous claims of recovering some Egyptian amulet.  Can you believe the ridiculous stories some people will tell?


"My dear, I am from Vienna. We are the capital of ridiculous stories!"

Leopold shrugged. [Language unknown:  "U io res netic es postio ith ntos n oullatort rutrutessder. Und watoan ndeughing erewilcom derticwhe onsvirthisanany arderswerure, sa, ameho es olmo? Ek t noul ingsanous unect utpahi theurente'verure."]

Belle Ivers:
"But you'll forgive me, my manners are terrible today, as I have become unfocused.  Belle Ivers, of no particular appellation beyond that of the Iron Dragon Rail Line, presently."  Belle's story had some apparent truth to it.  A close inspection of her hand bore evidence that she tried to keep them clean, a semi-permanent layer of soot and engine grease seemed to never quite escape her.  "Well perhaps I am also called Firehair here lately, which I'd never thought of until present, but if it follows the native cultural convention accurately I shall not oppose it.  Their culture seems to have a somewhat insular quality, as do many others, and an acceptable identity would be a useful starting point if I am to ever obtain any cultural understanding whatsoever.


"I believe Firehair suits you quite well, not just because of physical attributes, but I sense a fiery personality as well". Leopold winked at her, letting go of her hand."

"Now if I might impose on your assistance sir... this Herculean gentleman here seems rather... amiss, though sincere.  I believe very much he should meet this Miss Wells.  It is my sincere hope she knows him and will be able to assist.  He seems lost.  Sadly I do not believe his arrival party cares for my person or presence very much, which I cannot in good conscience take offense to given how... confused the poor lambs seem to be, yet perhaps I am not the best person to bid him enter and wait."
</quote>

Leopold looked over at Moses, sitting in the mud, his long coat parted, revealing a muscular chest.
"He is very interesting. I have met Ms. Wells before, but I do not see how she would be able to help him. And this indian seems to be like an anchor to him. I do not believe a whole regiment could remove him."
He shook his head, clearly dismayed at the poor man's situation.
"Would you like to wait inside or rather stay here with him? I am completely at your service, Madame."
Matthew Broaddale
 player, 387 posts
 US Marshal
 P5 T5 W0 F0 Cha 0 w0r0b2
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 15:15
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Matt twisted some chalk on the end of his cue.

"That's the size of it," he said. He set his cue against the table and held out his hand to the shadwo.
Mr. Sebastian's Shadow
 NPC, 6 posts
 It's alive!
 P6 T5 Cha -2 F0 hench
Fri 24 Feb 2017
at 17:38
Re: Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
"Very well. I accept." The shadow says. "You break."

((OOC: You'll be making an Agility or Gambling check. Each success and raise sinks one ball, but then you miss and the other player gets to go. Once you're out of your initial 7 balls, you have to call the Eight Ball shot, which means you have a -2 penalty on your roll. A critical failure means you sink the 8-ball early and lose.

However, I'm ending this thread, so it'll go on the Chapter 6.3: There Will Come A Reckoning thread.))