Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))   Posted by The Stray.Group: 0
The Stray
 GM, 2033 posts
 The Marshal
 'round these parts
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 02:50
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Kills Iron Horse:
Kills Iron Horse stands stock still at that. Walks the Night Alone looks at her. [Language unknown:   "Strnotcon n estwheyin..."]  He starts, but she makes a curt gesture, cutting him off, and stomps through the mud until she is glaring directly into Belle's face. Her hand snakes out, and she grabs Belle's earlobe and twists, painfully.

"Listen...to...me." She growls, in accented but perfectly understandable English. "I hear your barking just fine...bitch." She tweaks Belle's ear harder. "Do not confuse not wanting to speak your jibber-jabber with not able. I have killed your iron horses, sent them plunging off their trails to their deaths! Do not think for a moment I will let your white medicine man come near me with his poisons!"

That attention Art was trying to avoid? It is now squarely on the group, and people are staring at the scene. Someone starts shouting for the soldiers.


Belle Ivers:
Belle was stunned into silence, though perhaps not in the way the woman had intended.

She didn't yell.  She didn't go for a weapon.  She just stood there.

"Have you ever been in a train when it goes off the rails because of sabotage?  I have."  Belle spoke quietly.  "The world is fire and hatred, the sound deafens.  It was some days before I recovered my hearing, they feared me rendered deaf permanently for some time.

"I woke up in my mother's arms.  She was dead.  I would have been badly, badly burnt but for her taking me into her bosom.  My father was a horrid, burnt husk, I only knew him because I recognized his waistcoat. Our poor housekeeper was full of shrapnel.  The little girl I had been playing silly games with was mangled to pieces.  Her brother with the pronounced widow's peak was completely obliterated, literal pieces of him stuck to the wreckage."

She paused just a moment to escape the memories.  She couldn't linger on them any longer than that or she'd relive her worst nightmare over again.

"Now, I admit it is not a proud time for the industry.  Illegal lines and tracks are too common and do have to be forcefully removed, however I have a great deal of experience with this, and often the least effective way of stopping these operations is to attack the actual train directly."

Belle spoke the truth as she earnestly understood it, but there was something that escaped her even now: the larger truth.  The strange man she'd been debating with may or may not have been right on every single little point, but Belle suffered from hubris so deep she couldn't even realize it, thanks in no small part to the corruption of her own mind from the very spirit she couldn't believe in.

She had always seen herself as someone who helped turn a savage and disgraceful practice into the least damaging one possible  It was true she personally had always thought to set the sawhorses and the warning signs, triply redundant and illuminated, and precisely calculated so that the last of the three was at the point of no return, and the prior two allowed far more leeway that was strictly needed to stop.  What Belle didn't understand was that her personal practice was a rare display of basic human decency in an industry which had almost none.

And in one of the great ironies of the universe, Belle Ivers, professional saboteur, had in fact never actually derailed a train carrying passengers, despite her profession.  Even if she had been a sociopath who didn't care about the humans inside, Belle Ivers would always spare a train engine.  They were special machines unlike any other, they whispered to her.

It was also true she had been praised for these efforts, but only because someone had crunched the numbers and discovered that it cost the rival rail line more to recover a stranded train than it did to simply just lose the train.  While they recovered the engine, the fact that the engine was out of commission for so long greatly warped the economics, as did the considerable expense of the recovery operations.  Belle's thoughts for the lives of the sabotaged rival's customers and the well being of the machines themselves were never once considered by anyone besides herself and a handful of fellow Enforcers who bothered to listen to her.  And even they wrote it off as one of her many known eccentricities.

She thought her methodology becoming standard was a way she had changed the course of the rail wars for the good.  And perhaps it had saved some lives where it was followed her and there, but it was only a standard on paper and it was another step to follow that most people who were willing to blow up a bridge didn't care about.

Belle believed this practice she'd innovated to be rigidly enforced.  It wasn't.


Art C. Wiley:
Art shook his head at the question, trying to interject himself between the two women. He half-expected the universe to explode when Kills Iron Horse touched Belle, given their combined mass and how opposite they were. Yet the universe survived. For now. And the time for pleasant conversation was at an end. "Okay, I tink we all needa get movin'. NOW."

Art looked around for someplace suitable for them to disappear. And not be trapped. And not draw more attention to themselves.


Matthew Broaddale:
Matt was in the middle of helping Maddox back into the Mint when the white noise of New Science turned into threats and physicality.

He scanned the rain-soaked streets as people began to stare.

"You know," he said in a mildly harried tone, "If everyone would like to go inside, I'm sure we would all enjoy getting out of the rain, out of public. I'll buy everyone a-" he stopped, remembering how Sitting Duck ran off with his money.

"-Well, it's dry inside, anyway."


Union Troops:
Haverford takes the files with him when he leaves, and Von Steinhof heads towards the meeting place...when it occurs to him that he does not, in fact, actually remember where he was supposed to meet up. Must be all the whiskey he downed. It was a saloon of some sort...

As he's pondering that, he sees a squad of soldiers heading rapidly towards the north of town. They had their weapons at the ready, so it seems like something interesting was going on...


Kills Iron Horse steps away from Belle as if she'd been burned. The Dog Soldier looks at Belle with...it looks like she can't settle on an emotion. Horror? Shame? Anger?

The arrival of Matt seems to get them moving, however. The two Cheyenne look over at Moses and Art, apparently looking to them for their lead, while the stocky Sioux just scowls.

"Injuns!" someone shouts. "We got a war party of Injuns in the streets!"

Uh-oh. And now there's a squad of blue-uniformed troops heading their way...


Freiherr von Steinhof:
Leopold flicked a speck of dust from his coat, folded his hands behind his back and strode after the troopers.


The Stray:
The soldiers are heading toward what looks like a group of people gathered over by the Mint. He sees a large black man, a red-headed man dressed like a native, three actual natives, that crazy scientist lady who'd been running around, someone with a marshal's badge, and that Maddox fellow.

Someone is screaming about Indians assaulting people, though it doesn't look like anyone's assaulting anyone at the moment. Also, he recognizes the red-headed man and two of the indians -- The man was the one with him when Black Kettle was killed.


Moses:
Moses sighs and reaches out towards Belle. "You have much pain, Belle Ivers. And Kills Iron Horse has much pain. Little Crow, too. Everyone has pain. We carry it with us, like Buraq carried Mohammed to Jerusalem. When the load becomes to heavy, we lash out."
He takes a few steps and moves precisely between the two women, reaching out a hand towards them both. His staff falls into the mud, forgotten for now.
"Will at least you two allow Moses to bear some of your burden?"

Union Troops:
"Injuns!" someone shouts. "We got a war party of Injuns in the streets!"

Uh-oh. And now there's a squad of blue-uniformed troops heading their way...


Moses looks toward the men, then up into the sky. "Lord... Thy humble servant begs your help. Enough have died today."

He looks at Art, Little Crow and Walks the Night Alone. "Let Moses be your shield and comfort." then looks back towards the soldiers.


Maddox:
"They're not a war party, see you, they've just never seen a redhead beside the ginger there," Maddox calls over to the soldiers from cover of the boardwalk, physically flinching if that draws Moses' attention. "They're waiting for Wells, say they've got fair buisness with her, science fiction or church, I can't tell that at all."

"Well I did warn them," he says uneasily, rubbing his arm as though cold, and attempts to slide away inside.


Belle Ivers:
Before she can answer Moses' question, Belle stops to address the looming problem.

"A worthy inquiry sir, but might I make an attempt to prevent a horrendous misunderstanding first?  As much as it pains me to say it, my Massachusetts based ancestry may avail us if I should speak to these gentlemen, some of whom may be familiar with me from before..."

Belle raises her hands and turns to face the soldiers.

"No, please do not be so unduly alarmed, it is no such thing as that gentlemen, I assure you.  They merely stopped to ask for directions about town.  In fact I believe they were just communicating to me they wish to be expeditious about their business.  It's okay, I'm a mechanic.  I can tell."


Ezekiel Starkweather:
Union Troops:
"Injuns!" someone shouts. "We got a war party of Injuns in the streets!"


Zek heard the cry, and glanced back at Bill and the Coot. Then he glanced back into the direction of the scream once more. "Bill...keep an eye on the old man for me, ok?"

He headed for the cries of panic, most likely a mistake but he did so anyways. He saw the lady scientist trying to talk down the Union Troops, and saw Marshal Broaddale and Maddox there as well. Clearly they where better off trying to make the troops stand down-but it did not seem like they where having any luck.

"Hey! You folks are pestering my injuns! These are my trackers-and they work for me. I got bounties to find-and the lady in question is needed for our work. So can't a man make a living around here?" He turns to the native people in question, and speaks in their language. It even changes up in mid sentence.

[Language unknown:   "O erera fo, stiillati ckch nteiha. Ilme has has sa ri o cemale. A oful'moou oveen wi redredtio, ac ar trth tic yin..."]

[Language unknown:   "Us el our, trareaand tiart verlarint. Lat tinil mo ouin n a sandinhat. P maha'innt hiwit tepl ternderat, but lar enc olto al..."]

[Language unknown:   "Ri has peee, wilounall host atniin. His erehe ect whe ck p plwaan. T iveith'anders ic eve ecivil, sheus str evil maica se..."]


((OOC: Waiting for Moses and possibly Von Steinhof to weigh in here.))
Moses
 player, 544 posts
 A prophet or a lunatic?
 P6 T8 W0F0 Cha-2 W1R0B3L2
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 10:52
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Moses just stands there, as if he was an inmovable object, his hands, palms upwards reached out towards the two women - one, who'd give her live to keep trains running and the other who had taken lives when she derailed one.

He does'nt acknowledge any of the comments from anyone, but keeps looking at the soldier leading the small group.
The Lords was kind enought to let the dead man's words be understandable to Moses, but for now, the black giant remaina silent.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:52, Tue 21 Feb 2017.

Freiherr von Steinhof
 player, 402 posts
 Officer and Gentleman
 P6 T5 W1F0 Cha:+2 W0R0B4
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 10:57
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
"My, my, my...."

Leopold slightly quickens his pace to catch up to the Union soldiers. He utters a greeting to everyone in the group, trying to draw attention to him.
"I must say there is never a moment of boredom in this town", he says in his heavily accented English. He ishes for his cigarette case, pulls one out and then taps his coat. "Oh, my dear God, I forgot my matches. Does any of you fine gentlemen have one to spare? I shall trade you one of my finest pieces of Turkish cigarettes for it!"

He chuckles. "I know, it is not quite a kingdom, but I am also not looking for a horse."
Union Troops
 NPC, 78 posts
 Bluebellies
 P5 (6) T5 Cha 0 Extra
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 16:06
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
The troops huddle together, lowering their voices as they discuss the situation.

"Well? What do you think?" The squad leader asks.

"I think they's injuns, alright." one of the soldiers says.

The Corporal sighs and and rubs his forehead. "Thank you for that report, Captain Obvious." He mutters. "I mean, what do you think of the mountain man's story?"

"I think I'm here to kill Injuns, not be their goddamn babysitter, sir." The soldier replies. "If he wants to claim this pack of annoyances, I say let him have 'em."

Another soldier, one more grizzled and unkept, stares at Kills Iron Horse. "Look at the Squaw."

The Corporal winces. "Goddammit, Wilkins! Are you ever not thinking with your John Thomas?"

Wilkins shakes his head. "No, I mean look at her! And the white guy in the buckskins! Look real hard."

All the soldiers look at Art.

"Well I'll be dipped in shit and rolled in breadcrumbs." The Corporal growls. He raises his rifle, and the others follow suit. They aim at Art and the Cheyenne. The Corporal looks over at Zeke. "I'm afraid you're just gonna have to do without -- these here are wanted prisoners of war!" he looks over at the group again. "Throw down your arms and raise your hands above your head, or by God Almighty we will shoot you down!"

((OOC: I make a check on behalf of the Soldiers to see if any of them happen to recognize Art or the Cheyenne...

08:44, Today: Union Troops rolled 1,9 using d6,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,(6+3)9.  Notice.

That's a roger. Art, take a Fate Chip for your Outsider and Trouble Magnet hindrances coming into play.))

Ezekiel Starkweather
 player, 317 posts
 Mountain Man
 P6 T10 W0 F0 Cha 0 w2r3b2
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 16:29
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Zek spits off to the side. "So much for doing things the easy way..." He growls. He doubted the union troops would be aiming at him, as they have the natives on their minds and Zek was clearly unarmed. However, he does reach deep within in order to give the others a chance to run.

(OOC-Preparing to use the whirlwind power. Giving the other PCs a chance to do something in case they can think of another way out. Do I need to roll initiative?)
Belle Ivers
 player, 305 posts
 Iron Horse Whisperer
 P:6 T:5 W:0 F:0 W3R1B1
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 17:08
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Belle's physical proximity to the Dog Soldiers is arm's length, longer?
Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 374 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 17:09
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Art cursed inwardly at the turn of events. He could generally get himself out of whatever imprisonment they had in mind, but the others wouldn't be so easy to break out again. There were a lot of weapons pointed their way, though. Fortunately Art didn't have any weapons to drop. Unless a person counted his walking stick.

He did at least raise his other hand, the one not holding his staff. "Can ya be tellin' us wha' we be wanted fer? I do no remember committin' any crime." Stalling might help. Stalling always helped, right?
Maddox
 NPC, 109 posts
 Gunslinger
 P7 T8 (2) W0 F0 Cha 0
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 19:47
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Maddox does actually accept the leaning-room, further evidence of how badly Moses' intervention has shaken him up. He pretty much drops onto a barstool, nodding to the 'keep, then looks a little sidelong at Marshal Broaddale before indicating with a nod that he'll stand the man a drink. "Beer for myself," he orders.

"All right, I am going to plan and drink, see you, until either Wells gets her arse back here or I fall off my stool."
He frowns at the noise from the street, but just pays for the drinks and gets out another poster and a pencil.

He looks at the girl depicted a moment before sighing and turning the sheet over to pin under his glass and start making a map of Deadwood and its immediate hinterland.
Union Troops
 NPC, 79 posts
 Bluebellies
 P5 (6) T5 Cha 0 Extra
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 20:25
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
In reply to Art C. Wiley (msg # 7):

"How about desertion, Private?" The Corporal says evenly. "Or perhaps impersonating a soldier? Add to that assisting in the escape of prisoners of war, who themselves are spies for a force of hostile renegades planning ill intent and mischief." He cocks his rifle. "Now, you can come along peaceful-like, or we can fill you and your redskins full of holes. Which is it gonna be?"

((OOC: @Art: Refer to message #68 on the Ten Thousand Arrows thread

@Belle: About arm's length, yes.

@Zeke: Well, give Moses and Art a chance to reply to this message here before doing your Mojo. We'll consider you On Hold for now, which means you'd have the opportunity to spring into action before any shots fired if you beat the soldiers on an Agility check.))

Art C. Wiley
 Finally Listening, 375 posts
 Speckled brother
 P6 T5 W0 F0 Cha0 W2R1B3L1
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 20:34
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Damn. It's those same guys? Small world. Gotta steal me another uniform.

"All those charges ha' been cleared by Colonel Manning. If you be taking me to see him, he can verify dat. The Injuns also were cleared by de Colonel. They be staying here while we go speak with Manning. They will no go anywhere while I be with you, and I be going all peaceful like in dat case." He looked to the soldiers for their response. "Jus lead th' way."

OOC:
12:32, Today: Art C. Wiley rolled 3,11 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 3,(6+5)11.  Persuasion.

Now, there might be as much as a -6 to that roll for Outsider + Intolerance, but that's still a success?

This message was last edited by the player at 21:02, Tue 21 Feb 2017.

Moses
 player, 545 posts
 A prophet or a lunatic?
 P6 T8 W0F0 Cha-2 W1R0B3L2
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 22:02
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
"No."

Moses doesn't speak forcefully, but his deep, rumbling voice carries the simple word far enough for all to hear. His stance is unchanged, but now he looks more like he's praying in front of a congregation.
"No", he repeats.
"Moses has come here to find the Woman Who Remembers The Future. The Lord has told Moses that he must do this. These people are under the protection of the Lord Almighty and all the Spirits of Good and Light. You have no right to them. They have broken no laws in the Eye of God. Moses commands you to lower your weapons and let Moses and his flock be in peace. There will be no bloodshed today."
He lowers his head.
"Or Moses will not be able to save your souls from damnation"

((Calling down some righteous Divine Intervention: Peacemaker.
Spending one of my Legend Chips... and rolling Faith at -2

22:59, Today: Moses rolled 9,2 using d8-2,d6-2, rerolling max with rolls of (8+3)11,4.  Faith.))

Freiherr von Steinhof
 player, 403 posts
 Officer and Gentleman
 P6 T5 W1F0 Cha:+2 W0R0B4
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 22:05
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Leopold fidgets with his cigarette, still unlit.
He strokes his moustache in a nervous gesture. This... this was uncanny. He slowly inches away from the group of soldiers, towards their side, then looks up to the sky.

He had been raised Catholic, of course, but he had seen too much in his life to remain a true believer.
But now he offers a silent prayer, pulling some almost-forgotten verses from his memory.
Belle Ivers
 player, 306 posts
 Iron Horse Whisperer
 P:6 T:5 W:0 F:0 W3R1B1
Tue 21 Feb 2017
at 23:15
Chapter 6.1.1: A Preachin' We Will Go ((Mint Saloon))
Belle had an idea... then... that happened.

Curious.  Well, perspective is worth fifty points of IQ, she reminded herself.  She opted to leave herself the option of trying it later should this... whatever it was, go awry.