E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal.   Posted by DainXB - GM.Group: 0
DainXB - GM
 GM, 636 posts
Sat 8 Mar 2014
at 02:52
E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
It will take a while before the effluvia from the shut-down Amphora platform washes past your crashed ship. Seeking clear water (and perhaps a tuna or mahi-mani to sate your hunger), you swam west.

It is good to be alone in the sea, hunting. The natives of this world and their impenetrably-complex culture can be forgotten, for a time, and your thoughts can focus on straightforward things; current, hunger, and the habits of fish.

Spotting a long strand of floating seaweed you follow it's line west, knowing that fish gather to eat the dangling fronds. From below, the sound of dolphins squeaking at one another carries up to you. A good sign; dolphins often cooperatively "herd" prey-fish. Their teamwork helps them compete with fiercer sharks for the same food.

Angelfish:
When you got back to the lab, Ishida-san was starting to get frantic. He was sure you were going to wind up either in custody, or on the run having escaped from Coast Guard or police custody. His relentless pacing had left a trail of fine ashes from one side of lab to the other. "We should get out of here for a while; make ourselves scarce." He said over dinner. "I've been focusing too much on my own work, taking up too much of your time. We should get back to your research..." He suggested an overnight trip in the Kiyomi Maru, to drop sonobuoys and record the sounds of dolphin pods for your cetacean language studies.

The big island is large on the horizon as the moon comes up, the peak of Mauna Loa sihouetted against the sky. You and Ishida-san are on the after-deck, enjoying the night air. The soft "plop" of sonobuoys dropping into the water as you drift is the only sound.
Ty'daal
 player, 180 posts
 Stamina: 5/12
 Determination: 2/4
Sat 8 Mar 2014
at 03:21
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal swims downwards seeking out the dolphins. He had seen them a few times and, based on their intelligence and general good nature, he had developed a better opinion of them than most surface dwellers. Spotting them he drew closer, then moved to swim parallel, careful not to scare away their prey or present himself as a threat.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:22, Sat 08 Mar 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 643 posts
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 00:15
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
The dolphins of this pod are swimming in a broad horizontal spiral, gathering a school of small fish into the center of the vortex they create. As the density of fish in the center gets high enough, individual dolphins begin to cut across the center of the spiral, snapping up fish. They notice your presence, but since you're not interfering with their meal, they don't pay you much attention.

Suddenly, the high-frequency squeaks and squawks the dolphins make become much louder, and you realize that there are other things moving in the water. Tiger sharks! Not just a solitary hunter, but at least a dozen large sharks--all heading full speed toward the dolphin pod!

One of the dolphins, a shade darker blue-gray than the rest, squeaks a long ultrasonic note and jets out in front of the pod, charging the oncoming sharks! He slams nose-first into the lead tiger shark, hard enough to rupture organs; but another shark opens wide jaws and tries to bite the dolphin's dorsal fin with serrated rows of teeth!

Angelfish:
The sea is calm, the moonlight is lovely... but whatever romantic moment was about to happen is interrupted by a squeal from the sonobuoy speakers; an ultrasonic "shout" of Delphinese stepped-down by Ishida's equipment into the range of human hearing!
Angelfish
 player, 144 posts
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 00:49
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
(OOC: Since I've established that Cetacean language studies is an actual field - small and a little bit on the fringe - does Angela have a basic working vocabulary, or a way to quickly translate?)


Ty'daal
 player, 181 posts
 Stamina: 5/12
 Determination: 2/4
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 00:55
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal gestures and increases the density of the water in a wall shape between the attacking shark and the brave dolphin,who had nobly rushed forward to protect its pod, seeking to cause the shark to in effect hit a brick wall at full speed.

'A true warrior,' Ty'daal thought to himself, determined to protect the creatures from the sharks.

(19:51, Today: Ty'daal rolled 5,5 using 1d6,1d6. Protect the dolphin (+5). Total: +5)

This message was last edited by the player at 00:55, Sun 09 Mar 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 644 posts
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 21:55
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
The attacker's teeth snap down not on dolphin flesh, but "solid water"! The dark blue dolphin thrusts hard with it's tail, propelling it's blunt forehead into the side of a third tiger shark! Beside and behind you, the other dolphins leave their prey-fish and scatter. Tiger sharks in formation dart forward in pursuit, trying to cut off the dolphins' escape.

You're familar with Earth sharks, and with similar apex predators on your own world. Sharks don't "school"; they're solitary hunters. Even in a feeding frenzy, attracted by blood in the water, sharks don't cooperate...

Angelfish:
Rushing to the data workstation, you see waveform analysis and the beginnings of your hypothetical translation scroll across the screen.

:alarm/warning : shark/UNT : flee/scatter : UNT/UNT : defend/protect(?) : (self-identifier?)/UNT : The "untranslatable" code still shows up far too frequently; but it's a beginning...

You can hear additional dolphin "voices"; aparently there's an entire pod in range of your string of sonobuoys. Isolating the fainter Delphinese from the strong audio takes a bit of tuning, and even then it's still jumbled together. Your translation program picks out a few "phrases".

:flee/scatter: flee/scatter : help/aid : UNT/UNT : comply/UNT : negation/interrogative(?) : (other-identifier?)/UNT : fast/hurry :
Ty'daal
 player, 182 posts
 Stamina: 5/12
 Determination: 2/4
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 22:16
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal kicks once and accelerates attempting to grab hold of one of the sharks by the tail and use it as a 'shark maul' against another.

(18:18, Today: Ty'daal rolled 3,1 using 1d6,1d6 with rolls of 3,1. Grab Shark (Str limited by Powess). Total: +5.

I think that would be a two round action what I described, correct?)

This message was last edited by the player at 22:19, Sun 09 Mar 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 649 posts
Mon 10 Mar 2014
at 02:16
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
[OOC: Correct; one round to wrestle the shark, one to use it as a weapon! Targets will present themselves. :)]

You grab one of the sharks; the texture of it's skin makes it hard to grip, and the thing seems to be one solid muscle, but you've got a partial hold! As the shark's momentum tows you toward the dolphin pod, two more tiger sharks break from the pack and charge you, jaws wide!

[OOC: Test Prowess against their Prowess (5, +1 for ganging up on you), or defend in some other way. Their bites do a total of 5 Stamina on a hit!]
Ty'daal
 player, 183 posts
 Stamina: 5/12
 Determination: 2/4
Mon 10 Mar 2014
at 02:27
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal raises his arm and a circular shield made of super-dense water forms 'attached' to his arm. Bringing it back he blocks the bites slamming the sharks aside with the well practiced ease of someone who was born to, trained to, and a veteran of fighting underwater.

(22:19, Today: Ty'daal rolled 4,1 using 1d6,1d6 with rolls of 4,1. Water Sheild (+5), Underwater Combat (+3). Total: +11!)

And an homage to Cap : )

Angelfish
 player, 145 posts
Mon 10 Mar 2014
at 03:36
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angela leans over the workstation, reading the woefully unfinished translation.  Even with all the unknown variables, one thing is obvious - there is a pod of dolphins in serious danger near-by...

Angela sighs and starts toward the boat's lockers, calling back to Ishida as she walks,

"I know the whole point of coming out here was to get away from the Angelfish suit and the crazy superhero crap - but frankly, being able to work directly with the dolphins was the main reason I agreed to help test the suit in the first place."

She flashes a wicked grin over her shoulder, "Well, that and your considerable charm."

Serious again, Angela takes the Mk. VII suit from it's storage place.

"I have to do something.  I can't just sit up here and listen to that!"  She gestures toward the speakers. "Give me a hand, will you?"

Whatever misgiving Ishida may have about the situation, he has long since learned the folly of arguing with Angela when she's determined.  His expert assistance means Angela can suit up in record time - pausing just long enough for a parting kiss before sealing the helmet and transforming Angela into Angelfish...
DainXB - GM
 GM, 651 posts
Mon 10 Mar 2014
at 06:46
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Aboard the Kiyomi Maru:
Dr. Ishida watches the splash as Angela drops from the boat's deck. "彼女はクレイジーだ." He says. Turning to the data console, he patches the sonobuoy transation through to the Mark VII's wrist-receiver. "That's probably why I love her..." He muses.

Angelfish:
Not much moonlight penetrates the waves; as your eyes adjust to the gloom, you spot the blue-gray of dolphins scattering in all directions. One, perhaps the one who's cry you initially heard, is streaking through what you can only describe as a swarm of a dozen tiger sharks! Stranger still, Ty'dall is among the sharks, struggling with at least three of them!

Even as you watch, the lone dolphin, darker blue-gray than the others flips in the water and dives back into the swarm to slam brow-first into the vulnerable gill-slits of a shark, stunning it! A long Delphinese vocalization buzzes and squeals through your audio sensors.

The display on your wrist-comm lights up with a waveform, overlaid with translation.
:success/glee : (happy)?/UNT : threat/violence : UNT/UNT : UNT/(conditional joke)? : (self-identifier?)/UNT :

Ty'daal:
[OOC: Massive Success on the defense gives you a little extra--in this case, you get to treat your result as a counter-attack against one of the sharks!]
The teeth of the first tiger shark grate against the "hard water" of your shield, and it slides off, thrashing to turn and strike again. The second is not so fortunate--the swing of your arm slams your shield hard into the animal's side sending it careening through the water, blood leaking from it's gills!

[OOC: Ty'daal is up with his grabbed shark, then Angelfish, then the dolphins and the other sharks!]
Ty'daal
 player, 185 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Mon 10 Mar 2014
at 13:58
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal accelerates, ignoring the other shark still coming after him, seeking to smash his shark hammer into one of the others going after the dolphins.

(09:53, Today: Ty'daal rolled 3,2 using 1d6,1d6 with rolls of 3,2. Ty'daal maul shark (+3). Total: +4. Man I've really got to increase my Prowess, for a warrior by background I'm not that great at hitting things. : ) )
Angelfish
 player, 146 posts
Tue 11 Mar 2014
at 21:39
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
 The pod takes only moments to spot once Angelfish is in the water - and they are definitely in trouble! But they also have help!

Ty'daal...  Why am I not surprised?  He seems to be pretty Johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to weird and dangerous crap in the ocean.

And this
is weird... Tiger sharks don't usually hunt in packs.


Ty'daal has one of the sharks by the tail, using it like a baseball bat to drive away the others.  From the odd shimmers and waves, Angelfish can tell that he's using his powers to make a barrier of the water...

Okaaay... gotta protect one threatened species from another threatened species...  No torpedoes here...  Go out on the boat for a little research, maybe sneak in a little "us" time, a little romance... Oh no!  I end up in an episode of "Extreme Shark Wrestling"!

Reluctant to use her weapons on the sharks, Angelfish turns to a lifetime's memories of playing touch football with her brothers and watching high school games and the Miami Dolphins on TV...  She picks a shark and drives at it full force - boot jets on high - intending to ram her shoulder into the sensitive gill-slits...

(OOC: 16:28, Today: Angelfish rolled 4,2 using d6,d6. Sack the Shark!
+2 + 5(prowess) = +7)

Ty'daal
 player, 186 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Tue 11 Mar 2014
at 22:05
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Catching new movement out of the corner of his eye, Ty'daal cast a quick glance as Angelfish burst onto the scene. Smiling at her efforts to protect the pod, he gave her a nod of acknowledgement and respect before he returned to the task at hand.

'A trusted ally, noble surface warrior, in the battle now victory is assured!' he thought to himself.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 654 posts
Wed 12 Mar 2014
at 03:06
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
[OOC: Prowess 3 is sort of "normal", it's your Strength that makes you scary in a fight.]
You slam your grabbed shark broadside into another, knocking it out of formation and interrupting it's attack pass on the dolphins--by attracting it's attention to you! The dolphin it was about to bite puts on a burst of additional speed, swimming hard for the surface!

[OOC: Defend against Prowess 5, the tiger sharks do 5 Stamina with their bites!]

Angelfish:
You shoulder-ram a tiger shark! The speed of your impact stuns the creature briefly, and it drifts for a second or two before thrashing in the water and attempting to smash you with a powerful tail-strike!

[OOC: Defend against Prowess 5, the tiger sharks do 5 Stamina with their bites!]

The dark-tinted dolphin swims powerfully past the shark pack, then turns, skreeking and whistling. The waveform-translation on your forearm is... strange. :come/follow : attack/bite : location/here : UNT/humor(?) : (self-identifier?)/UNT :

Did he just say "Bite me!" to the sharks?!? If he did, it seems to be working--three of the pack turn as if one, and streak toward the lone defender!

[OOC: Act after you test for defense, in any order you like.]
Ty'daal
 player, 187 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Wed 12 Mar 2014
at 03:16
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal raises his 'shield' to block the oncoming shark and prevent it from biting him.

(23:14, Today: Ty'daal rolled 2,5 using 1d6,1d6. Water control (Shield) (+5) Underwater Combat (+3). Total: +5)
Angelfish
 player, 147 posts
Fri 14 Mar 2014
at 03:40
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
(OOC: did you mean bites or tails in my case?  I'm going with tail based on the text.)

OOF!  Even inside the Mk. VII, the impact is jarring.  Angelfish turns swiftly, trying to stay between the sharks and the dolphin pod - preferably without getting smashed!

Seeing her original opponent zeroing in to strike, Angelfish dodges, twisting and rolling away from the powerful tail.  The strength of the shock wave generated by the miss is a sobering reminder that letting that tail connect could have broken bones!

(OOC: 22:22, Today: Angelfish rolled 6,6 using d6,d6. Dodge!
0 + 6(coordination) + 2(acrobatics) = +8) 


Regaining her bearings, Angelfish glances at the readout on her arm...

Bite me?  Seriously?!  That dolphin just said bite me?!  The rebreather fluid makes hysterical laughter nearly impossible - but Angelfish comes close to achieving the impossible!
DainXB - GM
 GM, 665 posts
Sun 16 Mar 2014
at 22:39
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angelfish
[OOC: Correct; tail-strike in your case. Either end of a tiger shark delivers 5 Stamina on a hit. :)]

Whether they are responding to the dolphin defender's taunt, or merely homing in on his powerful sonar "voice", three tiger sharks slash through the water toward the defender! Making a ninety-degree turn in the water, he porpoises toward the surface--but the sharks chasing him are just as fast. They'll reach him before he reaches breath!

[OOC: You can both act, in any order you choose.]
Angelfish
 player, 148 posts
Sat 22 Mar 2014
at 05:07
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Oh no you don't!


The dolphin defending this pod is fast - but so are the sharks!  Angelfish fires her boot jets, angling toward the surface as well...

Kids think they'll never use geometry in the real world...


The swiftly plotted trajectory should allow Angelfish to cut between the sharks and their prey.

(OOC: Not sure if this should be Strength or Intellect (Math FTW!)
00:04, Today: Angelfish rolled 3,5 using d6,d6. Head off the sharks.
-2 + 4(Strength) = +2
-2 + 6(Intellect) = +4)

DainXB - GM
 GM, 680 posts
Sun 23 Mar 2014
at 23:45
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angelfish:
[OOC: Actually, what you're doing is Interposing, which is a Coordination test vs Difficulty 3, which you beat handily.]

Your sudden surge of motion sends you between the defender and the sharks--much closer to the sharks! The one in the lead bares it's teeth, opening muscular jaws to their full extent, and lunges through the water at you!

[OOC: Defend against Prowess 5, the tiger sharks do 5 Stamina with their bites!]

[OOC: Ty'daal is up!]
Ty'daal
 player, 188 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Sun 23 Mar 2014
at 23:50
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal swims upwards, swinging his shark-hammer at another target.

(19:48, Today: Ty'daal rolled 2,3 using d6,d6 with rolls of 2,3. Attack shark (+3). Total: +2. Ouch, think that is a miss.)
DainXB - GM
 GM, 681 posts
Mon 24 Mar 2014
at 03:39
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
Your weapon-shark twists in your grip, struggling to escape--it fails, but it does spoil your swing! Your target swims in pursuit of one of the scattering dolphins. Another tiger shark slams hard against you, teeth scraping along your water-shield, seeking to get past it's edge!

[OOC: Defend against Prowess 5, the tiger sharks do 5 Stamina with their bites!]

Ty'daal, Angelfish:
Above you, the defender "porpoises" out of the water, sucking in air. Then he flips tail-upward and plunges back into the sea, heading like a torpedo toward the upward-swimming sharks! Squeeee--A'a'a'kkk! Part of the sound he makes is outside the range of human hearing--perhaps even outside the range of Ty'daal's hearing.

On Angelfish's forearm, the waveform translation is partial at best, as he slams nose-first into the gill-slits of one of the sharks! :location/here : (self-identifier?)/UNT : come/swim : rescue/save : (other-identifier?)/UNT : pair/split : UNT/tail(?) :

[OOC: After both your defenses, you may act in any order you choose!]
Ty'daal
 player, 189 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Thu 27 Mar 2014
at 23:22
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal is surprised at the speed of the strike and draws his arm backwards.

(19:20, Today: Ty'daal rolled 3,6 using 1d6,1d6 with rolls of 3,6. Water Control (+5). Underwater Combat +3 Total: +5)
DainXB - GM
 GM, 692 posts
Mon 31 Mar 2014
at 17:41
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
You pivot in the water, keeping your water-shield between the scattering dolphins and the shark! Most of the pod have reached safety among the coral knobs below; only the defender and the two slowest swimmers are still visible in the dark waters. Angelfish's helmet lamps mark her position slightly above you, engaged with three tiger sharks of her own.

Angelfish:
[OOC: You still need to defend against Prowess 5 (the lead pursuit shark).]

[OOC: After Angelfish's defense, you can both act in any order you choose.]
Angelfish
 player, 150 posts
Fri 4 Apr 2014
at 03:12
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
quote:
The one in the lead bares it's teeth, opening muscular jaws to their full extent, and lunges through the water at you!


Well, I got their attention!

Desperate to get away - and nearly as desperate to not injure the shark - Angelfish back-flips away from the sharks and triggers her boot-jets.

Get this right and I'll boil water but not sharks...


(OOC: 22:07, Today: Angelfish rolled 6,6 using d6,d6. Sharks in hot water...
0 + 5(prowess) + 2(underwater combat)= +7)

DainXB - GM
 GM, 699 posts
Fri 4 Apr 2014
at 04:30
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angelfish:
The shark swerves desperately to avoid the blast from your impellers, diving underneath your back-flip, then cruising deeper into the ocean, disoriented.

Chi-chi-chi--squaaa--Ae'k,ae'k,ae'kkk! The dolphin defender seems to be cheering you on. :fast/UNT : split/tail(?) : jump/swim : enemy/shark: As your translator struggles with his waveforms, he head-butts the third tiger shark directly in the eye! Angrily it snaps it's jaws, raking across the defender's dorsal fin and putting more blood in the water.

[OOC: Ty'daal and Angelfish can both go in whatever order you like!]
Ty'daal
 player, 190 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Fri 4 Apr 2014
at 04:42
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal darts towards the shark attacking the defender dolphin, shaking the shark in his hand to get it to cooperate. However, it has ideas of its own and Ty'daal spends more effort controlling the shark than aiming and misses.

(00:39, Today: Ty'daal rolled 3,6 using d6,d6 with rolls of 3,6. Strike shark (Prowess +3). Total: +0, man terrible rolls.)
Angelfish
 player, 151 posts
Sun 6 Apr 2014
at 02:42
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal

"Split-tail", huh?  Well, I've been called worse.


Angelfish orients herself on the defender once more, in time to see the second shark draw blood!  In her peripheral vision, she can see that Ty'daal is busy with trouble of his own.

Ty'daal seems to have caught a tiger-shark by the tail! She grins at her own joke, even as she lines up on the sharks blind side.

(OOC: 21:36, Today: Angelfish rolled 5,4 using d6,d6. Blind-side tackle!
1 + 5(prowess) = 6)


With less of a "run-up" than before, Angelfish's football tackle packs slightly less of a punch.  Still, she seems to have drawn it's attention away from the defending dolphin...

This message was last edited by the player at 02:57, Thu 10 Apr 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 702 posts
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 17:22
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
The shark you're holding has been through a lot of sudden accelerations and decelerations; it's dazed and disoriented. Despite the bitter metallic taste of dolphin blood in the water, the shark you swung your "weapon" at attacks you with methodical precision.

[OOC: Defend against it's Prowess of 5.]

You're new to this world, but you've learned a lot about it's sea-life. These sharks are not acting like normal tiger sharks; they're cooperating during a hunt, they're immune to the effects of blood-frenzy... Something about this is very wrong.

Angelfish:
[OOC: You do 4 Stamina to the shark from the Strength of your tackle.]
You've attracted it's attention, alright! It twists in the water, trying to clamp it's powerful jaws around one of your legs!
[OOC: Defend against it's Prowess of 5.]

The defender makes a high-pitched sound that abruptly cuts off--you're too busy to realize that it just went above your hearing range. The waveform display on your forearm shows a much longer "speech". :pain/hurt : anger/UNT : UNT/crazy(?) : UNT/evil(?) : shark/enemy : (self-identifier?)/UNT : kill/end (conditional modifier?)/UNT:

He "backflips" in the water, trailing blood, and slams his tail-flukes hard into the shark that bit him!
Ty'daal
 player, 191 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Fri 11 Apr 2014
at 04:46
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal extends his hand creating a vortex of swirling water which carries the shark one way while he dodges to the other.

(00:44, Today: Ty'daal rolled 4,6 using d6,d6 with rolls of 4,6. Defend (+8). Total: +6)
Angelfish
 player, 152 posts
Sat 12 Apr 2014
at 03:11
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Gettin' just a little too crowded here!

With the Defender and the attacking sharks all close at hand, Angelfish is starting to feel a little cramped in her fighting style.  She tucks-and-rolls hard to evade the sharks jaws...

(OOC: 21:56, Today: Angelfish rolled 2,5 using d6,d6. Dive!
-3 + 6 (coordination)+2 (acrobatics) = +5)

DainXB - GM
 GM, 712 posts
Sat 12 Apr 2014
at 05:14
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angelfish:
[OOC: You take 2 Stamina from the Graze, but your suit's Armor absorbs it, so you're OK.]

Ty'daal:
You slide through the dark water effortlessly, avoiding your foe's teeth.

The dolphin defender rolls in the water, still trailing pink streamers of blood, and uses your vortex to gain velocity! He bashes his forehead against the belly of the shark caught in the twisting water. The tiger shark doesn't seem injured, but the hit was obviously painful--it swims powerfully, getting some distance from both you and the dolphin!

"Chee-chee-chee-chee aaaawwwk!" :swim/flee : UNT/UNT : false/wrong : shark/enemy : away/distance(?) : UNT/(emphatic modifier?):

Everyone:
The two remaining sharks, one injured and swimming only with difficulty, join their leader. All three swim quickly away on a Northerly heading.

The defender swims in a tight circle around the two of you with his jaws slightly parted showing rows of fine teeth. Ignoring his injury, he brushes lightly against both of you. "Squaaa-aaa-aaaack!" :(self identifier)/I : UNT/thank(?): split/tail : (plural?)/(multiple?) : swimmers/divers : aid/help : strong(?)/(emphatic modifier):
Angelfish
 player, 153 posts
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 04:39
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angelfish grins with sheer delight, pleased as always to be near one of these amazing beings...  She gently strokes his side, careful to avoid the injured fin.

With an mental sigh, she forces herself back to more serious matters.

R FRIEND THINKS SHARKS ACTING RONG  NOT NORML  I AGREE

I THINK HE WANTS US 2 HELP  FIND SHARKS  FIND OUT WHAT MAKES THEM ACT THIS WAY

She types cautiously, wanting to convey the message to Ty'daal, but unwilling to suggest actually hunting the sharks down and killing them. If the Defender feels that's what he must do to protect his pod... well, she literally can't stop him.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 714 posts
Thu 17 Apr 2014
at 20:58
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
The defender backflips in the water, vocalizing a long "sentence" as he eyeballs Ty'daal. "Sqaaa-aa-aa-a-a-a-aaaack-k-k!"
:enemies/sharks : act/behave : false/wrong : guard/patrol : strange/alien : UNT/(impossible?) : land/island : UNT/float(?) : (emphatic)/(exclamation) : UNT/float(?): UNT/(disbelief?) :
Ty'daal
 player, 193 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Thu 17 Apr 2014
at 23:30
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal nods, then responds, "I think we should track these sharks. Their behavior was not normal, if we must intervene by destroying them if their behavior is not correctable so be it. They will do far more damage to the local sea life than if they are allowed to continue."
DainXB - GM
 GM, 715 posts
Fri 18 Apr 2014
at 00:02
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
The defender swims a quick circle around Ty'daal. "Chi-chi-chi-k-k-k! Pth-fzzzz!"

Angelfish's waveform translator does it's best with the verbaliziation. : strange/alien : UNT/(impossible?) : UNT/floating : land/island : member/belong : pod/(species?) : you/yours : (query modifier?)/UNT :
Angelfish
 player, 156 posts
Fri 18 Apr 2014
at 04:01
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Is it possible that Defender understands us?

Angelfish smiles briefly at both of the aquatic beings, then turns serious.

WE R AGREED

And hopefully we won't have to destroy the sharks...


Angelfish changes a setting and sends the next text to Ishida on the Kyomi Maru*

Returning the setting to broadcast, she pats the dolphin's side lightly and points to the north where the sharks fled

U LEAD  WE FOLLOW



*SHARKS ACT STRANGE  NEED 2 FOLLOW  FIND OUT Y

SHARKS HEADED N  U FOLLOW US

DainXB - GM
 GM, 716 posts
Fri 18 Apr 2014
at 21:23
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Meanwhile:
Aboard the Kiyomi Maru, Dr. Ishida sets the throttles to cruising speed; the vessel was designed (in part) to be able to easily pace swimming dolphins. The radar display shows nothing ahead for miles.

He lights a cigarette as he reviews the records of Angela's translation program, snorting with laughter at the part where the dolphin taunted the sharks with the equivalent of "Bite me!" and trying to puzzle out the later utterances. Maybe this dolphin's vocalization style has been contaminated by contact with humans... It was sheer bravado on his part, of course; tiger sharks wouldn't understand delphinese vocalizations in any case.

He hits the transmit key on the hydrophone. "Ishida to Angelfish; I think your shark-baiting friend down there has had contact with humans before! I'm going to adjust a few of the translation parameters to try to account for that."

He re-runs the translation of the last vocalization, as a test. : strange : impossible : floating : island : belong : your : species : ? : Floating island?!?
DainXB - GM
 GM, 730 posts
Sun 27 Apr 2014
at 00:50
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angelfish, Ty'daal:
Dawn breaks over the Pacific--though even at the shallow depth you're swimming, it's hard to tell thanks to the heavy fog that blankets the ocean's surface.

Your cetacean friend appears to be frustrated; his course tacks back and forth, wider and wider, as if he's looking for something he can't find.

Dr. Ishida's voice over the Kiyomi Maru's hydrophones sounds tense as he reports. "Radar is showing a landmass two points off the port bow, nine klicks out! Depth below keel is nearly five thousand meters; no seamount breaks the surface around here..."
Ty'daal
 player, 195 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Sun 27 Apr 2014
at 01:06
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
"Well, it seems our path is decided," the warrior says, then dives downwards and towards the object Ishida described.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 731 posts
Sun 27 Apr 2014
at 05:21
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
Approaching the coordinates Ishida-san indicated, the first thing you notice is a change in the flavor/scent of the water. The salinity is less, the tang of disolved minerals different. The tranistion is abrupt, as if you were suddenly swimming in a different ocean.

Dr. Ishida's instruments are correct in regard to the seafloor; it's undulations do not come closer than five thousand meters of the surface. Yet, ahead and above you lies the craggy underside of a rocky island floating in the sea.

Floating. In. The. Sea.

[Splash Page: Ty'daal floating, jaw-dropped, tiny in the shadow of the vast and scientifically-impossible island.]
Angelfish
 player, 157 posts
Fri 2 May 2014
at 03:46
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Despite the serious reason for their travel, Angelfish finds herself enjoying the swim, racing along with the Defender and Ty'daal almost feels like something out of an adventure novel... almost.

quote:
"Radar is showing a landmass two points off the port bow, nine klicks out! Depth below keel is nearly five thousand meters; no seamount breaks the surface around here..."

The distortions caused by the hydrophones and her fluid-filled helmet can't disguise the tension in Ishida-san's voice.

The Defender seems agitated as well, searching...  And when Ty'daal speeds off toward Ishida's coordinates, Angelfish hits the jets as well.

A shadow in the water causes her to slow.  Surely there aren't enough of those sharks...   The thought trails off as the shadow resolves into an image... an absolutely impossible image...

floating island belong your species  Angelfish stares, stunned, as the Defender's vocalizations come back to her...  A floating island...  it's not possible!  It's just not possible...
DainXB - GM
 GM, 740 posts
Fri 2 May 2014
at 21:11
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angelfish, Ty'daal:
As you approach the underside of the floating island, your shark-baiting companion vocalizes again. : floating/swimming : island : dangerous/risky : close/approach : He somersaults in the water. : problem/hazard : small/minor : UNT/except : island : swims/travels :

He changes course, swimming around rather than toward the island. Unfortunately, your approach has already triggered something... Tendrils of a milky mist-like foam curl down from the surface of the ocean into the water around the island. You can see dark, rounded shapes splashing into the water, as if creatures on the beach were diving into the surf; dozens of them.

They thrash and struggle, like quadrupeds trying to swim and doing a poor job of it--then there's a shimmer in the water and they're sharks! Big ones, and headed in a wedge toward you!
Angelfish
 player, 158 posts
Fri 9 May 2014
at 04:42
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Okaay... two impossible things and breakfast is nowhere in sight... Pretty sure these things are not on the endangered species list... pretty sure they're not on any list!

Angelfish checks her weapons and allows herself to drift a bit, and types a quick message to Ty'daal.

FITE 2GETHER R SPLIT SHARKS UP
Ty'daal
 player, 196 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Fri 9 May 2014
at 04:48
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal responds, "Together, we stand a better chance if we can keep them from attacking us from every angle. I'm hoping fighting won't be the only thing they understand."

With that said, he calls out, "We do not seek a fight, if you will talk. If you will not, ones side will not see the next tide."
DainXB - GM
 GM, 747 posts
Sat 10 May 2014
at 21:01
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Angelfish, Ty'daal:
You hear a woman's voice--whether carried to you by the water or inside your heads, you can't tell. "Strong words from mortals who dare approach the sanctum of the Sorceress Supreme! If you wish conversation, approach me with proper deference! Uninvited guests--particularly brash and self-important 'heroes'--receive no welcome on Aeaea!" The voice, a strong contralto, is diamond-hard. "My servants are easily replaced, but they are mine nonetheless! Interfere with them again at your peril!"

At the edge of the floating island's shore, near what might be a tangle of nets and wreckage trailing in the water, you see a flash of metalic bronze as if something had just been dipped into the sea. From that point, a sudden ripple surges through the water around you, and echoing with it come the words "Επιστροφή από όπου ήρθατε! The temperature (and to Ty'daal, the flavor) of the water changes instantaneously. So does the seafloor below you! The floating island is... gone! Instead, you're near a coral reef that rises toward the shore of an island--a real island.

Your dolphin companion is spinning slowly on his axis, squeaking well into the hypersonic. : dizzy/disoriented : echo/sense : where/UNT : UNT/(expletive?) : self-location : 

Ishida-san's voice comes from the research vessel's hydrophones. "I assume I'm not the only one who heard that voice? GPS says we are now five kilometers south-southwest of Nimitz Bay. Fascinating." He seems completely calm for someone who's just been teleported as if by magic.
Ty'daal
 player, 197 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 4/4
Sat 10 May 2014
at 21:11
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
"Champion, do you and your companion have recordings of where that 'island' was? I do not take kindly to being brushed aside so- especially with such blatant use of advanced technology. We should assemble the others and go on the offensive against this 'sorceress' least she continue to terrorize more beings like our friend," he finished looking at the dolphin.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:34, Sun 11 May 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 748 posts
Sun 11 May 2014
at 01:11
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
[OOC: Gain 1 Determination for "Allows no Insult"!]
Your shark-baiting friend responds first, with a complicated series of skreeks and clicks. : floating island : swims/moves : similar/like : UNT/UNT : split-tail/human(?) : boat/ship : never : single/lone : position/coordinates : His last vocalization comes out as a kind of extended "Pthhh-ththth-thhhh!"

Ishida-san is on the hydrophones seconds later. "Ty'daal, Angelfish; you may want to come aboard. I've just received a call from Amm-Fib'ian! If his surmises are correct, Akamai City may soon come under attack!"
Ty'daal
 player, 198 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 5/4
Sun 11 May 2014
at 01:38
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Looking over to Angelfish, Ty'daal nods and accelerates upwards, towards the surface before leaping out of the water to land on the deck.

"Is it this sorceress?," the warrior asked the scientist.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 749 posts
Sun 11 May 2014
at 05:05
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal:
Dr. Ishida looks back over his shoulder. "I don't think so. Amm-Fib'ian said that he and the MIB are dealing with a rogue scientist nicknamed the Tinker. He thinks that the Tinker has a miniaturized army, and plans for some sort of attack on either the MIB headquarters building, or maybe the whole city."

[OOC: Up to now, you and Angelfish have been working the "B plot" for this issue--it'll become the "A-plot" soon enough. Especially since Ty'daal now has a reason to get his aquatic dander up about the Sorceress Supreme dissing him. :)]
Ty'daal
 player, 199 posts
 Stamina: 12/12
 Determination: 5/4
Sun 11 May 2014
at 06:43
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Ty'daal shakes his head, "Very well, but I will expect their help in locating this island after this 'Tinker' is crushed."

"Champion, please ask our friend if he will be able to locate his people or if he needs our help. If so he can follow us, after the city is defended we can lead him back to the reef where we met,
" Ty'daal spoke after walking over to the hydrophone.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:46, Sun 11 May 2014.

Angelfish
 player, 159 posts
Mon 12 May 2014
at 03:48
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
Like the Defender, Angelfish feels dizzy and disoriented by... well, by everything that's just happened.  It sure doesn't seem to have affected Ty'daal the same way!  Or maybe the Last Warrior is just too damn stoic to allow himself to show any sort of weakness...


Climbing on-board, she removes her helmet, so much easier to just talk after all!

"I'm hoping he can find his way home... Not really up to 'Conversational Delphenese' just yet."

Angelfish consults her wrist unit again.  "That last vocalization seemed to suggest that the island moves.  Like a ship, never in the same place...   Even with the coordinates", she glances at Ishida and receives a nod of confirmation, "I 'm not sure we'll be able to find it again."

She sighs deeply, "Somehow, I don't don't think we need to worry about finding her... I'm guessing she'll find us..."

Stripping off the rest of the MkVII, Angela heads below deck.  "If we're going to save Akami City, I need breakfast.  And coffee...  lots and lots of coffee..."
DainXB - GM
 GM, 751 posts
Mon 12 May 2014
at 23:03
Re: E4S2 - West of Kailua Kona - Angelfish, Ty'daal
[OOC: Continue in E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ.]

[OOC: Note that the thread title there is a bit deceptive; the action has moved to the shore of Nimitz Bay, several blocks away from MIB HQ--but I expect it will drift back fairly soon. :)]