E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - T, A, I.   Posted by DainXB - GM.Group: 0
DainXB - GM
 GM, 696 posts
Thu 3 Apr 2014
at 22:38
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
[OOC: Interpreting it broadly as, say, Fish out of Water... sure. Gain 1 Determination for the self-compel!]

Your heavy land-suit isn't really suited to running--nor are your Aquan reflexes; walking is wierd enough for you, running is entirely foreign to your experience as a near-weightless swimmer. As a result, Detective Jones and everything else receeds from you as you shrink.

"Dammit!" the Detective says, puffing and putting his head near his knees as he comes back to where you're stumping along. "So much for that idea..." He gulps air and looks around as you walk. "I can't even see the emitter-things up there any more. Whoah!"

Detective Jones draws up short at the edge of a broad gash in the smooth, flat surface you're walking across. You realize that it's one of the grooves gridding the platform, now the width of a street compared to your current size!

Closely examining the groove, which stretches to the visual horizon in both direcions, you see that there's an irregularity along the near edge, a few minute's walk away from your current position. It looks like a ramp along the edge of the groove, leading to the bottom of the cut.

"This guy really thinks ahead..." the Detective grumbles.
Amm-Fibian
 player, 303 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 3
Thu 3 Apr 2014
at 23:25
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
"We had better get a move on Detective, time is of the essence."
Amm-Fibian begins the trek down the ramp, hoping for some sign of where to begin the search.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 698 posts
Fri 4 Apr 2014
at 04:18
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
By the time you and Detective Jones reach the bottom of the ramp, your miniaturization is complete. The groove seems as wide to you as a broad city avenue, and the top of the machine's deck is five stories above your heads. Other ramps are visible in the distance, providing access top-to-bottom in many locations.

To all appearances, you're standing in a kind of ultra-uniform steel city whose "buildings" are miles square. Detective Jones keeps craning his neck, looking up at the now-blue "sky" above you. "Can't see the ceiling at all any more..."

As you continue to walk down the avenue-groove, you come to an intersection where two of the grooves cross at a ninety-degree angle. You look left, toward the center of the gridded deck--and you see a doorway in the wall of the adjacent "building"; one big enough to pass two semi trucks abreast, if they were shrunk to your scale!
Amm-Fibian
 player, 304 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 3
Fri 4 Apr 2014
at 11:29
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
"Okay Detective, stay back and cover me. I'm going in."
Ian walks up and into the doorway.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 700 posts
Sat 5 Apr 2014
at 06:04
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
The space inside is vast; you suspect that the relative hardness of the steel at this scale allows for enormous unsupported spaces; after all, at full size that ceiling above you is only a foot square and a quarter-inch thick.

The space is empty--but it doesn't look like it's always been empty. The steel floor is marked with dark abrasions in parallel lines. Fainter abrasions curve away at intervals... Something heavy ground away at this floor, probably dozens of somethings, each with broad bearing surfaces padded with hard black rubber. The size of the marks and the spacing of the gap between them match the treads on the plans you glanced at for the prototype tank Dr. Toomey stole.
Amm-Fibian
 player, 305 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 3
Sat 5 Apr 2014
at 09:18
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Amm-Fibian calls out to Detective Jones.
"Looks like we are late to the party. This way Detective."
Amm-Fibian follows the tank tracks...
DainXB - GM
 GM, 701 posts
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 16:58
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
The tank treads lead to an adjacent block identical to the first, only this one is anything but empty; it contains the stolen pantograph; the whole block is an elaborate automated factory.

You spend the next couple of hours examining it's workings. A laser scanning grid, x-rays, millimeter-wavelength radar, and other sensors examine something on the input end, then computers process the data and drive robotic manufacturing systems that reconfigure to reproduce whatever was scanned. It's a 3D printer for anything inorganic, as long as it has the appropriate raw materials to work with.

"So where did he get the raw materials? The Bureau's records of Toomey's crimes didn't include stealing a trainload of... well, a trainload of anything." Detective Jones looks both amazed and puzzled. "And it would take a trainload of steel to make enough tanks to fill that parking lot next door..." You can tell he's avoiding asking out loud the other question that must be on his mind; where are those tanks now?
Amm-Fibian
 player, 306 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 3
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 21:05
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
OOC: Would Ian be able to assume that the materials were probably mined in small size?
Does Ian think anything else can be gained from here, or does the trail of the missing tanks seem to end here?

DainXB - GM
 GM, 704 posts
Thu 10 Apr 2014
at 21:49
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
While Toomey could have used the small-scale steel from hollowing out the platform's grid-blocks, he would still have needed a few other materials... That might be one reason for the carefully-cut opening in the door seals; he could have been "acquiring" small-scale raw materials from within the MIB's labs!

As you further explore the central grid-blocks, you discover another enormous chamber--one without tread-marks on the floor. A hangar for experimental VTOLs, perhaps? More alarming is what appears to be a barracks in an adjacent block; Toomey seems to have miniaturized a sizeable force of human agents...

"Whoever they are, they're long gone; there's not a sign of anyone still living in these barracks." Detective Jones scowls. "Toomey thinks ahead, that's for sure. Three years of planning and preparation for... what? Whatever it is, it's going to be bad."

[OOC: Thorough exploration of the grid-blocks probably took you eight hours. You'll remain miniaturized for a while longer. You could try to find the way the Tinker's army left the platform, or you could examine the rest of the machine. What's your plan?]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 307 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 3
Fri 11 Apr 2014
at 02:14
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
OOC: I'll try to find the way they left. (Also pick up any extra super intelligent detective clues I can about Toomey.)
Amm-Fibian rolled 4,4 using d6,d6. So 0 + 9 Int + 2 Investigate = 11

DainXB - GM
 GM, 708 posts
Fri 11 Apr 2014
at 04:12
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
It's quite a hike to the edge of the platform, and the long ramp down one of the diagonal trusses all the way to the floor, but it gives you time to think.

Toomey's plans here are beginning to make a kind of sense. A miniaturized training ground and manufacturing facility within the very walls of the MIB headquarters! He must have known that the MIB would sieze his device and attempt to analyze it. He was counting on it being what your human friends would refer to as a "trojan horse".

Nate points out one detail that you haven't got an explanation for. "If he wants to attack the MIB building, he can't use full-size tanks and aircraft inside! He's got to be planning more than that..."

Your trip down the truss-ramp gives you a lovely view of the gigantic power unit that drives the machine. There's a tiny opening in the base of the machine's frame--to you it's as wide as a four-lane highway. On the floor of the room tiny dust particles roll like tumbleweeds, stirred by the ventilation system.

Your "compression charge" starts to wear off as you cross the vast floor of the laboratory, heading to the towering pressure door. You're no more than a meter high when lights begin to flash and sirens begin to sound!
Amm-Fibian
 player, 308 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 3
Sat 12 Apr 2014
at 21:24
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
"Sounds like trouble Detective! I think we are about to get some more clues to Toomey's plans. Lead the way!"
Amm-fibian will follow Nate, but be on the lookout for some sort of monitoring device or console, and also some way to contact the other heroes if help is needed.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 717 posts
Sat 19 Apr 2014
at 04:42
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
As you cycle the airlock back into the main lab, Dr. Medrado--half a meter taller than you--is shouting. "...under attack! Activate the emergency doors!"

Heavy steel shutters start dropping across the lab entrance doors. On monitor screens you can see a jumble of images from security cameras within the building; MIB agents running, civilian staff moving in an orderly way toward (presumably) safe zones.

Director Winkler's face appears on one monitor. "Attention all personnel! This facility is under attack by paramilitary forces. Enemy combatants are inside the building! I repeat; enemy combatants are inside the building! Consider no area to be secure at this time."
Amm-Fibian
 player, 310 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 3
Sat 19 Apr 2014
at 11:13
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Calmly Ian looks around and then raises an arm and opens his mouth to speak. He lowers his arm and thinks a moment more, then raises his arm again to get the Detectives attention.
"Detective, I'm thinking that the computer system that codes all this shrinking and growing must have the data of all the targets affected so far. If I can access this, and perhaps rewire the device to transmit through the security systems in this building... Yes, I believe we should be able to shrink this army back down to size."

OOC: Does that sound Silver Age reasonable? Lacking the rest of the Fantastic Four type team, I'll have to Reed Richards this on my own.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 723 posts
Sun 20 Apr 2014
at 05:18
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
Dr. Medrado hears your question. "Do you think you can redesign the device that quickly? You'll need cables... a multiprocessor link..." He beckons to a couple of the other scientists to assist you. They begin dragging over the necessary hardware.

Detective Jones attempts to aid the defense, but the entire lab floor is sealed by the building security protocols. He stares at the video surveillance, which shows paramilitary-looking troops in blue armor engaging in small groups with MIB agents on several different floors. "Looks like we've lost control of everything below the eleventh floor!" He paces in frustration, then spots an external video feed. "Damn it! It's not just this building--the whole city is under attack!" He grabs his phone, attempting to contact the ACPD to alert...

[OOC: Your ingenious plan will be a two-stage process: First, test Intellect vs Toomey's Intellect of 9 to get a computer link to his device. After that, you can attempt to link the emitters to the building's security system.]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 311 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 3
Mon 21 Apr 2014
at 04:02
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Amm-Fibian begins connecting cables and booting up PC's, while typing awkwardly on keyboards with his aqua-suit. Time and again he wishes he were under the sea.
"By the Great White Whale! Time is of the essence..."

OOC:Amm-Fibian rolled 2,3 using d6,d6. Int vs Toomey w/ Determination.
So -1 + 9 = 8, but I used Determination! (Tagging "By the Great White Whale!")

DainXB - GM
 GM, 725 posts
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 16:29
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
[OOC: 1 point of Determination gets you to a Moderate Success.]

The MIB central computer system is a lot more sophisticated than some corporate PC network, though it lacks the subtle utility of Aquan computational technology. Still, you can work with this... after all, the central computer and Toomey's device were both built by humans; they can't be that different, comparatively.

"Ian, I hate to interrupt, but we may have a problem." Detective Jones says, pointing to one of the video feeds. A squad of blue-armored paramilitaries are in the hallway directly outside the lab's blast doors. They have what appear to be breaching charges...

The lab computer screens light with your data feed. Nineteen sets of data for XM-90 AGCV main battle tanks. One set of distinctly different data for an XM-90 AGCV. Nineteen sets of data for VTOL aircraft, and again, one set of distinctly different data for a VTOL aircraft. Finally, fifty-one distinct data sets for similar-but-individually-unique organic subjects.

Dr. Medrado looks up from his workstation. "I've coded in my access to the security system, it's ready for you. Reverse-coupling the camera's digital receptors as emitters will fry them all; we'll only get one shot at this--and even if it works, afterward we'll be blind inside the building."

[OOC: Phase two! Test Intellect vs Difficulty 9 to link the device's emitter output to the building's security system.]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 312 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 2
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 23:08
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Amm-fibian closes his eyes and sees the layout of the electronics like a crime scene... now the trick is to put all the pieces together.

OOC: This dice roller REALLY hates me.
Amm-Fibian rolled 1,5 using d6,d6. Determination Int Check.
I used Determination again and have 2 points left.
My roll gives me a -4 + 9 = 5, Tagging Seas Greatest Detective.
If the Determination I have isn't enough, could I tag Weakness to Sonar for another one, saying that the electronics will emit a sonar-like blast in my water suit when activated?

DainXB - GM
 GM, 728 posts
Fri 25 Apr 2014
at 01:25
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Ian:
[OOC: Ooof! 2 Determination gets you +4, which gets you a Moderate Success. That leaves you at 0 Determination, but trust me, it'll only be temporary...]

Seeing the layout of the circuitry and programming as a crime scene... Seeing the video feeds from inside the MIB building, which at present is a crime scene, with the crime still in progress... Serious firefights in the stairwells between the twelfth and fourteenth floors (why do humans skip the perfectly utilitarian number "thirteen"), a team of Toomey's mercenaries affixing breeching charges to the security doors for the laboratory you're in...

The emitters on the device, festooned with the cables you and the scientists have added, are strobing through their color-changes, faster and faster!

Reconfiguring charge-coupled optic sensors in the security cameras to emit the Tinker's "compression rays" is only possible via the utilization of high-frequency harmonic transference. You're certain that there will be side-effects; you're less certain as to what they might be...

Dr. Medrado sees your gloved hand holding the cables for the final connecton. "Ready to void some warranties?" he asks, inanely.

You make the connection. Harmonic energies surge through the entire building! Sympathetic vibrations cause the countertops to rattle. The sound gets louder; painfully loud, in fact.

Two of the scientists in the lab with you grab their jaws as the fillings in their teeth begin to heat up. Every fish tank, video monitor, camera lens, and window in the building shatters explosively from the monstrous sonic feedback! Just before the monitors fail, you're almost sure that you see the colored strobing of the "compression ray" on every shot that shows a mercenary. Almost sure...

The silence afterward is profound; either that, or you're profoundly deafened. Detective Jones' mouth is moving, but you can't hear anything. You can't see him clearly either, because of the spiderweb of cracks across the bubble helmet of your landsuit, each one dribbling a stream of precious life-giving water...

[OOC: Gain 1 Determination for Weakness to Sonar. See how generous I am? :)]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 313 posts
 Currently - Amm-Fibian
 Determination: 1
Sat 26 Apr 2014
at 20:39
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian
Amm-Fibian says, or at least attempts to say, "You better take over now Detective. I suggest whatever industrial vacuum cleaners you use for this place normally. That should get most of them, I'm sure you are all quite capable..."
He stumbles and falls to one knee, then sinks to the floor...
DainXB - GM
 GM, 737 posts
Thu 1 May 2014
at 21:28
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian, TK
Time Keeper:
Racing through the streets of Akamai City, you spot several clusters of armored vehicles and VTOLs; some engaged with ACPD units, some besieging government buildings. A pair of futuristic tanks and two more VTOLs are blasting away at the MIB headquarters building, but at the speed you're travelling, the only way they'd be able to hit you is by pure mischance.

[OOC: Test Coordination against a Difficulty of 4 to get up the building and inside without getting caught in the crossfire. (Which does 5 Stamina on a hit.)]

Ian:
You're marginally aware of Detective Jones attempting to drag your heavy land-suit toward the elevator, leaving a trail of seawater soaking into the carpet behind you. The muffled sound of Nate's voice comes to you, mixed with distant and possibly imaginary explosions; but you're too dazed to be able to interpret the Detective's words.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:35, Thu 01 May 2014.

Time Keeper
 player, 190 posts
Fri 2 May 2014
at 07:51
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian, TK
OOC: 08:48, Today: Time Keeper rolled 4 using 2d6-7. coordination roll (6). total 10

Time Keeper makes time do his bidding not only does it push him up the vertical surface of the building it warns him of incoming fire before it actually happens and he easily dodges the damaging bolts.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 739 posts
Fri 2 May 2014
at 20:51
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian, TK
Time Keeper:
As you arrive in the 16th floor labs--access is simple, since all the windows are shattered--Detective Jones shouts to you. "Time Keeper! Thank God! Ian's suit is leaking; he needs to be submerged in seawater fast!"

A dark-complected man in a lab coat is directing other scientists and lab technicians, organizing a team to use industrial vacuum systems for something. But Ian's problem seems far more urgent.

At your top speed (even carrying an unconscious fellow hero) you can make it to Nimitz Bay in seconds. The only problem is the mechanized army deployed in your way!
Time Keeper
 player, 191 posts
Fri 2 May 2014
at 21:02
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian, TK
Time keeper nods at the detective and zips across the room to kneel next to Ian "ok my friend lets go for a ride"

Gently as he could he picked his friend up, turning his mind reached out to the future to a point in the dock area of the city. From the present he pulled the time strand tight and then like an elastic band he let go and was pulled forward with his previous cargo at speed towards the sea.

OOC: 22:02, Today: Time Keeper rolled 2 using 2d6-7. Speed roll (7) spend a determination for "master of time" aspect to dodge any incoming attacks. Total 9

This message was last edited by the player at 21:04, Fri 02 May 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 742 posts
Fri 2 May 2014
at 21:50
Re: E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ - Ian, TK
Time Keeper:
As you race through the streets, Ian over one shoulder, you're sure you spot a flying figure engaging with a pair of the armored vehicles, trading lightning bolts with hypersonic rail-gun fire.

Your precognitive vision allows you to avoid any direct confrontation with the attacking army, although you have to zig and zag through the city's streets on your way to the bay. Reaching the beach you run on top of the water for a dozen yards before allowing yourself to sink.

Ian:
You come to with Time Keeper struggling to detach the shattered helmet of your land-suit. As the seal separates, fresh life-giving seawater floods your gills!
You quickly revive, recovering your faculties. The sensitive membranes you use for ears are still ringing, but your hearing is beginning to return. Your land-suit's helmet, however, is a lost cause; it will need to be re-built from scratch.

[OOC: Feel free to converse; you two have a great deal of catching up to do. :)]