E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd.   Posted by DainXB - GM.Group: 0
DainXB - GM
 GM, 673 posts
Thu 20 Mar 2014
at 23:36
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Nereid:
To your surprise, the office isn't wrecked. As you look cautiously around the door, you can see that Taggart's desk and furnishings are undisturbed--well, almost. The mahogany sideboard that Todd damaged on your first visit to "Ancient Seas Antiques" isn't aligned with the wall. It's been pushed aside, causing some of the artifacts and knick-knacks on it to topple over.

Behind the sideboard is an open doorway, and stairs leading downward. Dr. Taggart has a secret door in his office! One that's obviously not too secret any more...
Todd
 player, 259 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Fri 21 Mar 2014
at 00:06
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Todd morphs back to his normal form.

"Hey, Lieutenant, see that shape up there? I think it might be a lookout. I'm gonna go punch it and see what it knows."

He reaches for the door handle.

Makaiau has about two seconds to try and talk me out of it. :)

DainXB - GM
 GM, 674 posts
Sat 22 Mar 2014
at 03:12
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Todd:
[OOC: Talk you out of it? That's his style of police work you're talking about!]

You exit Lt. Moleta's vehicle and sprint across the parking lot at Olympic speed, into the looming three-story warehouse's shadow.

[OOC: Do you want to take the stairs then climb, or just jump straight to the roof?]
Todd
 player, 260 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Sat 22 Mar 2014
at 04:06
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Jump, duh. I am TODD!!!  ;)

Todd jumps to the rooftop, aiming to land right behind where he last saw the figure on the roof, trying to catch him off guard.

Coordination 6 + Roll -4 = 2.

Since surprise is a single-attempt action I'll spend determination to get moderate success, invoking Peak Physical Perfection.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 677 posts
Sat 22 Mar 2014
at 04:44
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
[OOC: I figured. :) It costs you 1 Determination to surprise the lurking figure with your sudden leap!]

The lurking figure is a starvation-thin Asian man, wearing the robes and bead-curtained hat of an ancient Chinese scholar. He has one extraordinarily-long fingernail holding aside his bead-curtain as he peers over the cornice trying to get a glimpse of where you ran to at the foot of the wall... meaning that, just now, he doesn't know you're behind him!

You recognize this guy--and his fingernail! He was one of the Six Storms from the roof of the Pagoda Terrace Hotel!
Todd
 player, 261 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Sat 22 Mar 2014
at 09:13
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Yeah, it wasn't really an out-of-character decision, was it? :)

Todd's eyes widen.

You son of a -- you and me got somethin' to settle.

His eyes narrow.

No time like the present.

He sneaks up behind the man, and reaches up to grab his robe and rapidly pull it downward, pinning his arms.

Roll to sneak: Coordination 6 + Roll 2 = 8.

Roll to bind: Binding 6 + Roll 1 = 7.

Nereid
 player, 189 posts
 Determination:02
 Stamina 8/8
Sun 23 Mar 2014
at 22:22
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
In reply to Todd (msg # 11):

Oh goodness, a secret door. I am sure my cell reception will be awful in Taggart's not so hidden dungeon. Well here goes nothing.

Kai carefully walks to the top of the stairs calling out

Hello? Hello?

as she descends.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 679 posts
Sun 23 Mar 2014
at 23:32
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Nereid:
The stairs end two floors down, on the floor of the warehouse. Rows of shelves fade into the distance to the left and right. It looks like the storeroom of a museum--maybe a couple of museums. Statuary, urns, artifacts, and wrapped or boxed things that are probably similar are spread throughout. Dr. Taggart is sitting on a packing crate, facing a slender Asian woman in a red dress. A seven-foot tall red-skinned humanoid is standing off to the left, surrounded by broken bits of marble and glazed ceramic. He's idly holding a Chinese vase in one hand.

Taggart looks at you with relief. "Thank God you're here! You brought it, right?"

Todd:
The scholar, his robes now binding his arms to his sides, spins around! His black, pupil-less eyes bore into your own. "You! Again, you intrude upon affairs not your own." His voice is a rasping whisper. "Have you learned nothing?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:39, Sun 23 Mar 2014.

Nereid
 player, 190 posts
 Determination:02
 Stamina 8/8
Mon 24 Mar 2014
at 23:44
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 13):

You mean the Fish person artifact with the shadow of vengeance thingie attached...yeah...sure..of course.

Kai then turns to the woman and her companion.

But I can't give such a powerful and evil artifact to just anybody...it's already killed a woman, and I need to know what you want with it.

Other than it does kinda go with the mystical kung fu vibe you guys give off.

Todd
 player, 263 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Tue 25 Mar 2014
at 12:24
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Todd shrugs.

"Yeah, maybe. 'Course maybe the reason I haven't learned anything is NONE OF YOU FREAKOIDS EVER EXPLAIN ANYTHING!" he yells into the scholar's face.

"So, genius, how 'bout you start explaining?"
DainXB - GM
 GM, 682 posts
Thu 27 Mar 2014
at 22:26
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Nereid:
The woman in red turns toward you, eyes (literally) blazing. Her irises glow with purple fire. "The Feather Empress demands her tribute. I, her humble servant, dare not question her motives--you, a mortal, have even less right to do so!"

Todd:
The scholar smiles slowly. "Then let your first lesson begin." He rasps. Suddenly he flickers, turning half-transparent like you imagine a ghost would look, and his tangled robes fall to the rooftop, leaving him garbed in loose silk pantaloons, brocade slippers, and that rediculous hat. "I am Whispering Dream, of the Six Storms. Oppose us, and suffer!" His hands snap up with blinding speed as if he's trying to impale your ears with his bizarre fingernails! You know from prior experience that all he has to do is touch you...

[OOC: Defend against his Prowess of 6. He'll drain 5 Stamina from you if he hits.]
Todd
 player, 264 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Fri 28 Mar 2014
at 04:40
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Instinctively Todd leans backwards with a hastily uttered, ""Dude!". The fingernails miss him by the barest of margins, passing close enough to clip off a small lock of his hair.

Todd steps backwards. "So this is how it's goin' down is it? Whispering Dream, meet Bellowing Nightmare, worst student you'll ever have."

Todd rips a concrete block out of the ledge and hurls it straight at Whispering Dream's solar plexus.

Dodge: Coordination 6 + Martial Arts 1 + Roll 0 = 7. Success!

Throw: Coordination 6 + Roll +2 = 8 (with Strength of 8).

This message was last edited by the player at 04:40, Fri 28 Mar 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 685 posts
Fri 28 Mar 2014
at 04:52
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
[A solid hit! 8 Stamina to the ancient Chinese sholar-demon!]
Whispering Dream leaps to one side--but not fast enough! The concrete block slams into his chest, knocking him sprawling across the warehouse roof. "Ooof!"

Then he flickers again, and the block drops to the roof as he passes ghostlike down through it! You're alone on the roof--but you don't feel alone!
Todd
 player, 265 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Fri 28 Mar 2014
at 05:55
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
The disappearing scholar is frankly annoying.

"Fine. You want freaky? I can do freaky."

Todd concentrates, and morphs into his future-self. As he does he reaches out with his sense: smell, sound, with the barest hint of telepathy. Just enough to let him unload a mental blast if he detects anything.

That "not alone" feeling was unsettling, too. Is Whispering Dream sneaking back, or did he bring a friend? Or two?

Best not to think about the rest of the gang.

Bad guy detection mode: Awareness 6 + Roll -1 = 5.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 689 posts
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 00:09
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
[OOC: Whispering Dream, with his Stealth Mastery bonus, narrowly beats even future-Todd's senses.]

The smell of asphalt, salt air, seaweed, hibiscus, and burned hydrocarbons drifts through the air. The sound of distant traffic and the faint hum from the streetlamps are all you can hear. Yet you're sure that another mind is focusing it's attention upon you. A mind close by; so close it could almost touch...

You leap aside just as Whispering Dream somersaults up through the roof, flickering in and out of existence like a ghost! One long-taloned finger strikes out toward you! "Dim Mak!" the scholar hisses.

[OOC: Defend against Prowess 6. He'll drain 5 Stamina from you if he hits (for starters).]
Todd
 player, 266 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 05:03
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
His future self may be physically weaker, but he's no less agile, and Todd somersaults away before the finger strikes.

"Ah, my erudite friend, you had a 28.8% chance of hitting me, but failed. I estimate my chance of success to be in the vicinity of 58.3%"

He let's loose a brain blast - and misses.

"Perhaps my calculations were in error."

I just realised I did my rolls in the wrong game thread! From the Earth Prime M&M game:

15:49, Today: Hardcase rolled 1,4 using d6,d6 with rolls of 1,4. Brain blast.
15:49, Today: Hardcase rolled 6,2 using d6,d6 with rolls of 6,2. Somersault to safety.

Should I keep these or reroll? If I keep them:

Coordination 6 + Acrobatics 1 + Roll 4 = 11. Success.

Mind blast 6 + Roll -3 = 3. Flop.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 690 posts
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 06:08
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
[OOC: Keeping them is fine. You made the important roll, anyway. :)]

"My, you are full of secrets, are you not, Bellowing Nightmare?" He rasps, drifting slowly sideways, a few inches above the roof. His movements bring him further from the cornice, and away from the fan of light coming from the nearby streetlamp. "But even in your current form, I think you are an obtuse student..."

Whispering Dream drifts, still flickering in a ghostly way; sometimes you can see right through him. You realize that he's drawing your attention, trying to distract you.

[OOC: Test Awareness against Difficulty 7. One way or another, you'll find out what he's planning.]
Todd
 player, 267 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Sat 29 Mar 2014
at 14:02
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Todd looks left, right, down, trying to identify what's making him uneasy.

Giant head or not, he doesn't work it out in time.

Awareness 6 + Roll -1 = 5.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 693 posts
Mon 31 Mar 2014
at 17:49
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Todd:
Left... right... down... Just as you get to "up", you catch a glimpse of a whirling mass of black silk streamers descending over your head!

[OOC: Test Coordination against Difficulty 7 (this includes the +2 bonus for surprise).]
Nereid
 player, 192 posts
 Determination:02
 Stamina 8/8
Thu 3 Apr 2014
at 02:46
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
DainXB - GM:
Nereid:
The woman in red turns toward you, eyes (literally) blazing. Her irises glow with purple fire. "The Feather Empress demands her tribute. I, her humble servant, dare not question her motives--you, a mortal, have even less right to do so!"



Point well taken, but the artifact is indeed dangerous...it has killed people. Do you know anything about that? These murders have made things complicated.

OOC: gonna try to read her mind.


22:45, Wed 02 Apr 2014: Nereid rolled -1 using 2d6-7 ((4,2)).

I use willpower right?  (5)

So 4 with a telepathy of 6 for effect.

Todd
 player, 268 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Thu 3 Apr 2014
at 09:23
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Todd flips backwards, hand-standing away from the streamers, and hastily fires a mental bolt at them.

With no effect.

"Aw, dammit, can't you guys just talk?!?"

Avoid: Coord 6 + Acro 1 + Roll 4 = 11. Easy-peasy.

Brain blast 6 + Roll -4 = 2. Pffffffff.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 697 posts
Fri 4 Apr 2014
at 00:00
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Nereid:
Her mind is closed to you. It's as if she's not exactly human; you can sense that she is thinking, but you can't get a grasp on what she's thinking about.

"Enough talk! This one has stalled long enough," she gestures toward Taggart. "My patience wears thin. I will take what I have been sent to retrieve: Now!" Once more her eyes crackle with purple lightning, and she stretches a hand out toward your parcel, palm up.

Todd:
Whispering Dream rasps something that sounds a little bit like laughter, and a lot like a china plate going through a paper shredder. "I prefer to teach through demonstration!" He says, and lunges toward you, index-finger outstretched!

Meanwhile, the mass of streamers resolves into the figure of a young Asian woman, spinning in mid-air and dressed solely in black silk ribbons wound around her torso and limbs. Her eyes are red. She flicks a hand, and a black ribbon curls out toward you like a bullwhip!

[OOC: Defend against his Prowess of 6 and her Prowess of 6. You sincerely don't want either one of them to connect.]
Todd
 player, 269 posts
 Determination: 8
 Stamina: 11 > 4
Sat 5 Apr 2014
at 00:49
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
"Screw this hyper-intelligence nonsense," Todd snarls, transforming back to his normal form as he sidesteps the ribbons and slips past the fingernails.

"You like teaching through demonstration? I'm submitting my first assignment. It's titled PEAK PHYSICAL PERFECTION!"

He punches Whispering Dream in the jaw.

Avoid streamers: Prowess 6 + Martial Arts 1 + Roll -1 = 7. Dodge.

Avoid fingernails: Prowess 6 + Martial Arts 1 + Roll +2 = 9. Dodge.

Punch: Prowess 6 + Martial Arts 1 + Roll -3 = 4. Now limits on using Determination still confuse me, but I think since I've failed to hurt him I can now spend Determination (depending on how broad/narrow the "tried and failed" rule is applied). If I can I'll tag Peak Physical Perfection for a moderate success.)

Nereid
 player, 193 posts
 Determination:02
 Stamina 8/8
Sun 6 Apr 2014
at 00:14
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
In reply to Todd (msg # 28):

Alrighty, but I warn you...this haunted thingie packs a punch.

Nereid tosses the fake artifact (still in a bag) to the woman and tries to time a mental bast for the moment she touches the artifact.

hedging her bets, she also speaks aloud.

I so could use a macho cavalry rescue now.


OOC: Spending determination to stunt Telepathy to Mental Blast ( 1 Det left).

Will 5

20:13, Today: Nereid rolled 1 using 2d6-7. Blast the woman.

6 effort , and using telepathy would give me 6 effect.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 703 posts
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 17:49
Re: E4S2 - Dr. Taggart's Office - Nereid, Todd
Todd:
[OOC: It costs you 1 Determination for a Moderate Success.]
You easily evade Whispering Dream's attack, sliding past his outstretched finger and slamming your fist into his face! He topples backward, eye's rolled back in his head.

The girl's bullwhip-like ribbon almost curls around one of your ankles as she attempts to trip you, but you pull free as soon as you feel it's touch. It's razor-like edge leaves a stinging cut behind!
[OOC: Take 3 Stamina damage from the graze.]

The flying girl spins faster, gaining a little altitude and moving across the rooftop away from the pool of illumination cast by the street light.

Nereid:
The purple lighting from the woman's eyes flares, encircling her head in a protective ring! She smirks. "Foolish mortal! I am Zhang Jue, Daughter of Demons; your petty magic necklace cannot affect me!" She pulls the wrapped "artifact" from the bag, drops the bag to the floor of the warehouse, and tears at the paper...

Taggart sags in relief in his chair, certain that his troubles are finally over.

Meanwhile:
Lt. Moleta and Detective Makaiau are rushing across the parking lot toward the metal stairs, pistols drawn!

[OOC: Either of you can act, in any order you choose!]