E4S6 - Akamai City - Nereid.   Posted by DainXB - GM.Group: 0
Todd
 player, 286 posts
 Determination: 5
 Stamina: 11
Fri 16 May 2014
at 02:06
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
I have a plan, subject to GM approval:

Spend a point of Determination to buy a stunt, using my strength to bend the gun barrel at a 45 degree angle.

Being comic books physics any number of things could happen. Let the dice determin which. How about:

Failure. I fail and take full damage.
0-2 Moderate success. The shell is deflected and lands harmlessly into the ocean.
3-4 Major success. The gun malfunctions and breaks.
5 or more Massive success. The gun malfunctions and overloads the tank's systems.

Nereid
 player, 205 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Sat 17 May 2014
at 18:15
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to Todd (msg # 24):

They are trying to take over the city and put it under "martial law" ... Something about a new regime.

I'll try to disable the tank.


Too bad I usually need line of sight.
She tries to think "offline" as she looks for an entrance into the tank.

OOC:  should I roll awareness? Or is it obvious where the hatches are and how improbable my getting in shall be?
DainXB - GM
 GM, 758 posts
Sun 18 May 2014
at 00:15
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd (in the Shoals):
[OOC: I like it! Technically, mangling the tank should be a Difficulty of 7, but since you're only going against the barrel, 6 makes sense. Good luck!]

Nereid (near Kuakini General):
There's what appears to be an access hatch at the back of the vehicles, between the two rearmost machine gun turrets.

Beeline drops behind the tank, taking cover by getting so close to it that it's weapons can't aim at him. He folds his wings, points a finger--and the bright flash of his energy blast does nothing to the tank's armor. "If we can't damage these things, maybe we can shut them off! You're a telepath, right? Can you get into the head of one of these guys, find us a code or something we can use?"
Nereid
 player, 206 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Sun 18 May 2014
at 01:47
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 26):

Got to see 'em first, help me get this hatch open! Nereid begins racing toward the tank.
Todd
 player, 288 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Sun 18 May 2014
at 02:24
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd drops to one knee, jams his shoulder under the barrel, and pushes upright, bending it like a soda straw.

The gunner makes the mistake of powering up the gun. Todd steps back just before the railgun misfires, shattering the barrel.

Strength 8 + Roll 2 = 10 vs 6. Major success.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 760 posts
Mon 19 May 2014
at 00:34
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd (in the Shoals):
As you stand triumphantly in front of the smoking stub of the railgun barrel, you hear Storm Warden's wind-amplified voice from above. "On your left!"

Just then, a second tank shatters through the storefront of 'Liao & Son Podiatry and Acupuncture' across the street to your left! With a hypersonic crack, it's railgun fires!

Hey, at least Storm Warden is keeping the VTOLs off your back.

[OOC: Defend against a Difficulty of 6! It does 7 Stamina if it hits!]

Nereid (near Kuakini General):
As you join Beeline at the rear of the armored vehicle, he's struggling unsuccessfully with the hatch. "I can't get it open!" He points to a keypad next to the hatch. "There's gotta be a code, but if you have to see someone to read their minds..." His words are cut off by the mechanical sound of submachineguns being cocked. The two of you spin around, to face a pair of blue-armored mercenaries aiming their weapons directly at you!

[OOC: Test Coordination vs their Coordination of 4 to not get shot. Their SMGs do 5 Stamina on a hit.]

"...maybe their's would work..." Beeline finishes in a small voice.
Todd
 player, 289 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Mon 19 May 2014
at 01:02
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd ducks a millisecond before the railgun fires, the projectile missing by less than an inch.

"You want acupuncture, do ya?" Todd snarls as he tears off the damaged railgun barrel above his head.

He leaps in a high arc towards the firing tank, the damaged barrel held between his hands like a harpoon. He lands, driving the barrel into drives it downwards into the turret.

"Have some acupuncture!"

Defend: Coordination 6 + Roll 1 = 7. Miss.

Attack: Prowess 6 + Roll 3 = 9. The barrel is just narrative colour, so I hit with 8 Strength of damage.

Nereid
 player, 207 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Wed 21 May 2014
at 04:22
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to Todd (msg # 30):

OOC: Coordination of 4

00:16, Today: Nereid rolled 0 using 2d6-7. Coordination .

I don't have my rules at hand so I am unsure what happens with a tie.


Nereid moves as quickly as she can...

And then she begins to sing, a lovely song, a deeply passionate song.

Love me...

OOC: going for emotion control m make the guy love me and fight for me (hopefully)

Emotion control 3
00:21, Today: Nereid rolled 5 using 2d6-7. Love me .

8

Todd
 player, 290 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Wed 21 May 2014
at 04:58
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid: A tie is a win. From pg 7: "0-2 Moderate success. The effort succeeds by a small margin."
DainXB - GM
 GM, 766 posts
Sat 24 May 2014
at 05:34
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd (in the Shoals):
[OOC: Gain 1 Determination. "Acupuncture!" :)]
You pin the turret to the hull with the railgun barrel! Sparks fly! The turret-motors whine as they fight to turn. The barrel is placed under intolerable strain, and something strange happens: The weird pebbly-surface of the metal shatters into powder in your hands... and then the powder disappears!

The rear-deck missile-launcher on this tank starts to deploy, then retracts, then starts to deploy again. The treads on the front hull are driving the vehicle forward, but the treads on the rear hull seem to have kicked into reverse. Something seems to be badly wrong in there...

Nereid (near Kuakini General):
[OOC: I've been using the ICONS Team-Up rules for 'grazing'; on a tie the attack does 1/2 damage, rounded down. You suffer 2 Stamina.]
You dodge the gunfire almost completely; you feel a hot sensation against your upper arm as a bullet grazes you.

Almost instantly, the trooper who shot you drops his weapon and runs to your side. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you--I... I don't know what came over me..." He pulls a pouch off his gear, spills it open, and presses a bandage to your wound.

The other mercenary stares at his companion for a second, nonplussed. It's enough time for Beeline to knock him cold with a sudden energy-blast. "I figure we only need one of these guys..." he mumbles.

As your newest friend applies antiseptic to your wound, you hear Angelfish's thought, faintly and from far away. "Peanut Butter Popsicle."

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:59, Sun 25 May 2014.

Todd
 player, 291 posts
 Determination: 5
 Stamina: 11
Sat 24 May 2014
at 07:43
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
"Huh. That's kinda weird."

Todd shrugs, wipes his hands clean, walks over to the hatch and tears it open.

Strength 8 + Roll 1 = 9. That should do it.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 768 posts
Sun 25 May 2014
at 04:27
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd (in the Shoals):
There's not a hatch, exactly--but tearing the turret off is certainly possible! As you do so, the entire vehicle shudders violently, and more sparks fly from the cables and mechanical bits that pull out of the hull attached to the turret. Almost the whole interior of the tank is circuitry and wiring! There's no sign of any crew at all.

Something is definitely wrong with the rear hull as well; the missile launcher is half-deployed, as if the lifting motors failed midway up. The rectangular caps over the warheads snap open--partly. Half of the missiles are still below the top of the armored hull. You hear a series of staccatto clicks as the warheads arm for launch!

[OOC: Defend against the missile's Coordination of 3. Of course, that's only the ones that will actually make it out of the launcher; the rest are going to detonate right there. Defend against their Difficulty of 5 to be somewhere else when the explosion happens.]
Todd
 player, 292 posts
 Determination: 5
 Stamina: 11
Mon 26 May 2014
at 01:52
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Time to get off the bus.

Todd leaps high into the air, trying to get as far from the blast as possible. Grabbing onto the VTOL passing overhead seems as good a place as any.

KLAAANGGG!!!

Todd's arms drive into the undercarriage, and he works his way up the side of the VTOL by digging his fingers into the metal and pulling himself up.

"Stormie, you take the other one. I got this."

Now to aim this thing away from here before I cripple it. Let's see what happens if I push my foot down on the flaps. The sea would be nice. Mountains work too.

First dodge:
Coordination 6 + Roll 4 = 10. Major success. I'd like to use this to have Todd grab the VTOL, subject to GM approval.

Second dodge:
Coordination 6 + Roll 2 = 5. Moderate success.

Instead of using Strength to shred it I want to point it away from inhabited areas, so I think this is a Prowess roll:
Prowess 6 + Roll -1 = 5. Let's see how that works out.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:52, Mon 26 May 2014.

Nereid
 player, 209 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Wed 28 May 2014
at 01:52
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to Todd (msg # 36):

Holding her "wound" Kai looks the soldier in the eyes.

"Now my love I need to get inside this tank...do you know the code?
DainXB - GM
 GM, 777 posts
Fri 30 May 2014
at 04:19
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid:
Your new best friend nods. "Sure! We all got trained on basic maintenance for these things. Five, six, three, zero opens all of them." He reaches past you and taps the code on the pad. The maintenance hatch hisses open on a pair of hinge-pistons. The inside is treaded to make climbing into the crawlspace easier.

Beeline peeks in, the first two fingers of his right hand pressed together and pointed ahead of him as if they were a gun... "Nobody home, just flashing lights and machinery."

Todd:
You manage to get on top of the VTOL--the thin (and strangely bumpy) metal skin is easy to dig into. Stretching one leg out, you push down on an aileron...

It's good that you have solid handholds, because what we call what you are is upside-down! The VTOL slides off into a steep banking turn. The three turbofans still controled by the flight-computer put up a valiant fight, but there's no way it can maintain it's original flight path--or altitude.

Spinning right-side-up again, you see that you'll miss downtown at least, and you're out of the Shoals. Looks like you're coming down over a different low-rent residential area...

One with a huge explosion dead ahead of you!

[Continue in thread E3S8 - Liloa. Just in time for the explosion Time Keeper caused. :)]
Nereid
 player, 211 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Fri 30 May 2014
at 16:17
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 38):

Alrighty, so let's see if we can take over this thing or figure our a way to shut them all down.

she looks at the soldier

Any clues, loverboy?


OOC: So, I am not the most super tech oriented. But I doubt that our grunt knows what to do...so I guess I need a roll of some kind.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 781 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 01:17
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid:
Your infatuated friend says "We were showed basic maintenance--how to fix the turret motors, reload ammo hoppers; stuff like that. Messing with the tank A.I. is way above my pay grade." He pulls off his helmet, and looks deep into your eyes. "But it is kind of snug and private in there, if you know what I mean..."

Beeline mutters into his mask. "I don't know which is creepier; him, or the fact that you're doing that to him..." He gestures into the hatch. "Ladies' first. I'd better stay out here with lover-boy."

[OOC: Test Intellect vs a Difficulty of 5.]
Nereid
 player, 212 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Sat 31 May 2014
at 03:17
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 40):

We come to the game with the powers we have...not the ones we want. I've been able to try pure Mind control before but it's a stretch.

Emotion control is unpredictible. I couldn't do fear, he might run away or faint, happy folks don't want to do anything to jinx their good mood. So Love it is...lucky me.


She looks at the controls, presses some buttons and...

I am so totally lost.

Maybe we can turn this tank off...but I can't sneak attack another tank or anything. I don't even know where to to begin.



OOC:
Intellect 4

23:15, Today: Nereid rolled -3 using 2d6-7. Intellect test.

Effort 1

DainXB - GM
 GM, 785 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 04:27
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid:
You crawl through the hatch into the rear hull, then follow a corrugated channel into a lens-shaped chamber in the forward hull, directly beneath the bulging turret motors. Three digital display panels show a continuous flow of high-speed data. It's very confusing...

You tap on one of the touch screens, which evokes a set of maintenance and troubleshooting controls. You try a couple, but there doesn't seem to be much effect. Suddenly, a synthetic voice comes from somewhere in the surrounding electronics. "Maintenance shutdown routine unavailable during combat operations. Command authorization required. Unit LNE-01 awaiting authorization."
"10..."
"9..."
"8..."


Behind you, you can hear the hiss of hydraulics as the maintenance hatch closes. Then you hear a faint banging, like someone hammering on the hatch with their fists...
Nereid
 player, 213 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Sat 31 May 2014
at 05:31
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 42):

No,no,no,no,no.

Hey! Can you guys hear me...do you know the command authorization soldier boy?



OOC: so should I roll something? Maybe spend determination to find an obvious plug?
DainXB - GM
 GM, 786 posts
Sat 31 May 2014
at 20:34
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid:
Faintly, from beyond the hatch, you hear your new best friend shouting. "Maintenance code's locked out now! Only the Tinker knows the command code..."

The inflectionless computer voice continues to count.
"7..."
"6..."


One of the video screens flashes to an external feed. An ambulance is racing toward the emergency entrance of Kuakini General, just across the street from you, lights and sirens flashing. The screen has a superimposed cross-hairs and a range-to-target readout.

"Vehicle approaching secured perimeter. Interdict." The turret motors just over your head hum loudly, and the entire vehicle lurches as the treads engage.
"Unit LNE-01 awaiting override."
"5..."
"4..."


You hear the crack! of Beeline's "venom blast", followed by his muffled cursing. "Dammit! I could spot-weld it shut, but I don't have the power to cut it open!"

[OOC: Gain 1 Determination for the Temporary Challenge Security Lockdown. LNE-01 is about to go to war--and take you along for the ride!
You can spend 1 Determination to retcon and "define or detail something previously unknown" about your situation. You have to tag an appropriate Quality, of course. Also, don't forget (distracting as it is at this particular moment of crisis) that Angelfish is somewhere trying to attract your telepatic attention.]

Nereid
 player, 215 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Sun 1 Jun 2014
at 02:42
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 44):

Angelfish:
As the missiles take flight, Angelfish thinks, What this team really needs is communications and coordination...  Peanut Butter Popsicle anyone?


It takes a few moments but Angelfish hears a reply

I am near the hospital...we have invaders with robotic tanks and high tech infantry.
Speaking of robotic tanks I stuck inside one! I tried to shut it down and became trapped inside.

What is your situation? out link is weak you'll need to "think at me".



OOC: I posted the same in the thread with Angelfish. I guess connecting all of us together would cost Determination? Right now I think that is the best use of my action and determination rather than escape (though that might come soon)
DainXB - GM
 GM, 791 posts
Mon 2 Jun 2014
at 00:07
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid:
[OOC: Yes, 1 Determination and a tag on an appropriate Aspect to stunt "rangeless" as an Extra for your telepathy. Then you can broadcast to the minds you've touched before, like the other heroes. The good news is, telepathy takes essentially no time, so LNE-01's countdown won't advance as you create do this.]
Nereid
 player, 216 posts
 Determination:04/03
 Stamina 8/8
Tue 3 Jun 2014
at 01:47
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 46):

OOC: tagging "Let Not Fight" cause I am hoping that if we can coordinate, we can end the violence quickly. spending a point of Determination.

Should I cross post across threads?



Alrighty everyone, we are hooked up...we need to end this quickly. I am in a tank near the hospital...and there is a freaky countdown and I might just die. Where's everyone else?


OOC: could I blow through another Determination to retry and put extra effort in a INT roll to figure a way out?
DainXB - GM
 GM, 797 posts
Wed 4 Jun 2014
at 04:00
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
[OOC: Sure. Determined Effort requires that you fail once at a task. That 1 total definitely qualifies. :)
Test Intellect vs a Difficulty of 5, and declare before the roll the minimum degree of success you want.

Also; yes cross-post your telepathic communications in the other threads.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:13, Wed 04 June 2014.