E4S6 - Akamai City - Nereid.   Posted by DainXB - GM.Group: 0
DainXB - GM
 GM, 722 posts
Sun 20 Apr 2014
at 04:57
E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper
Time Keeper:
Leaving David at the ferry dock, you streak through the streets of Akamai City. Your vision showed widespread panic and destruction, but everything seems deceptively normal...

Until a strangely-futuristic VTOL aircraft comes into sight around the side of an office tower, raining streams of pulse-laser fire and melting holes into the street ahead of you!

[OOC: Test Coordination vs a Difficulty of 5.]
Time Keeper
 player, 184 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 13:07
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper
OOC:14:06, Today: Time Keeper rolled 2 using 2d6-7. coordination roll (6). total 8

DainXB - GM
 GM, 726 posts
Fri 25 Apr 2014
at 00:55
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper
Time Keeper:
You dodge easily between the rapidly-forming potholes--unfortunately, some of the traffic is not so dextrous; a silver mini-van and a burgundy sedan both zig when they should have zagged, sideswiping one another and screeching to a halt directly in the path of the staccatto laser blasts!

[OOC: Gain 1 Determination for the new Temporary Challenge "Endangered Citizens".]

...aaand it gets worse: you hear a shriek of turbines as a second VTOL banks into view from beyond a different office tower!
Time Keeper
 player, 187 posts
Tue 29 Apr 2014
at 11:17
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper
seeing the accident take place and the passengers in the vehicles in danger now they had stopped instinct took over. The master of time, already riding the time stream, used his considerable mental control over it to put the breaks on time itself and rewind it.

Suddenly he was heading down the street again was the VTOLs came into view. At the same moment he saw the same two vehicles that moments before had crashed.

Stopping he rapped part of his mind round the time lines of one vehicle and pulled on it slowing time for the passengers as they headed for disaster. At the same time he grabbed the time lines to the other vehicle and whipped them up so that they made waves building up speed as they travelled towards the other vehicle. As they hit their momentum pushed the vehicle forward speeding it passed the other and hopefully out of danger.


OOC: 12:18, Today: Time Keeper rolled 4 using 2d6-7. precog roll (6) Total 10 will spend a determination if needed

This message was last edited by the player at 11:19, Tue 29 Apr 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 735 posts
Tue 29 Apr 2014
at 16:58
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper
Time Keeper:
[OOC: That's a Major Success on the dice, but you still need to spend 1 Determination to use the retcon stunt, and 1 to stunt Time Control off your Super-Speed.]

Twisting time around yourself, speeding it and slowing it simultaneously, you find yourself riding a rising wave of temporal energy. For a moment--if the term "moment" has any meaning--you are literally living in the future, seeing things before they happen.

Amm-Fib'ian is in danger! In time's eye you see him, wearing some sort of "diving suit" similar to Angelfish's, lying on a carpeted floor. The bubble helmet, full of water, is cracked in a dozen places and leaking. Faint swirls of greenish blood drift out of Ian's ears into the rapidly-depleting water. Detective Jones is trying to drag the heavy suit, yelling "It has to be sea water! We've got to get him to the ocean! He'll die without it!" You see jagged, splintered glass lying all over the carpet, and behind Ian and the Detective the openings in the building's walls where windows once looked out over Akamai City.

The view makes their location clear; about a quarter of the way up the north side of the Multinational Investigation Bureau's headquarters building!

The two vehicles narrowly miss one another, as you knew they would, and both speed away from the prowling VTOLs. The city is under attack by unknown foes, Ian is in danger, and Time is Running Out!
Time Keeper
 player, 188 posts
Tue 29 Apr 2014
at 20:13
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper
Seeing his plan had worked now it was "Time" to safe Ian. Knowing the location his mind travelled the super highway of time to the source of the image he'd seen.

Pulling the time stream towards himself he shot forward at unimaginable speed through the streets of the city and vertically up the building to the floor he knew his friend lay dying.

OOC: 21:14, Today: Time Keeper rolled 0 using 2d6-7. Super speed (7). Total 7

This message was last edited by the player at 20:15, Tue 29 Apr 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 738 posts
Thu 1 May 2014
at 21:56
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Time Keeper:
[OOC: You're now in thread E4S3 - Multinational Investigation Bureau HQ! But don't worry, you'll be back soon. :)]

Todd:
After a night of sleeping like the dead, your morning "communion" with μ-90 is cut short by a sound like earthmoving equipment right outside your apartment. It's loud, it's obnixious, and it's making the whole building vibrate! You leave your meditative trance in an annoyed state of mind--then you hear the machinegun fire!

Outside your window, in the street, is a tank. It's treads are so wide that it's up on the curb, grinding straight over fire hydrants and parked cars. It's twice as long as any tank you've ever seen pictures of, and jointed in the middle so that it can make wide turns or cross steep elevations. The flat forward turret has a radome on top and a square-bored cannon that looks like the ting in that YouTube video that was going around; the thing called a "rail gun"...

Nereid:
Even after a late night, morning comes early for tenured faculty... You're still getting dressed when you hear a loud roaring through the partially-open window of your bedroom. It sounds sort of like a helicopter, but much louder. Then there's a blasting loudspeaker voice. "Attention, citizens of Aumakua Island; Akamai City is now under martial law! Remain in your homes! Remain in your homes and you will not be harmed!"

Looking out past the drapes, you see three futuristic aircraft hovering above your neighborhood--and two of them are airlifting an equally-futuristic looking tank!
Todd
 player, 281 posts
 Determination: 6
 Stamina: 11 > 3
Fri 2 May 2014
at 07:59
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
"You have got to be kidding me..."

Todd, opens the window, climbs onto the ledge, and leaps on top of the front-half of the tank.

He hammers on the hatch. Loudly. Very, very loudly.

"Oi! You got ten seconds to open the hatch. Don't make me come in there."

I probably should have asked this before jumping on the tank, but where is the machine gun fire coming from? What other forces are around apart from the tank (friendly and non-friendly)?
Nereid
 player, 200 posts
 Determination:00
 Stamina 3/8
Fri 2 May 2014
at 16:23
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to Todd (msg # 8):

Kai, shakes her head and rubs her eyes...

Well at least I know I am still asleep
.

She goes beck into the kitchen to pour some coffee and only half way across the room does the reality of the situation sink in.

She quickly changes into her "other work clothes" pours a thermos of coffee and directly violates the order to stay in her home.

OOC: the plan is to sneak around, find a solider and read his mind. And hopefully drink enough coffee to wake up :).
DainXB - GM
 GM, 741 posts
Fri 2 May 2014
at 21:38
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd (in the Shoals):
The machinegun fire is coming from a row of hull-mounted guns just above the treads, firing to force people to clear the streets. The surface texture of the tank is rough and pebbled, almost as if the armor-plate were made of tiny ball bearings fused together. You've never seen anything like it.

The main turret idles back and forth, as if the tank is looking for something. The radome spins, coordinating the tanks advance with a pair of quad-rotored VTOL aircraft hovering above. Sunlight glinting off their dark stealth-finish makes you think they have the same beaded texture as the tank.

One of the VTOLs swivels in place, facing you. The cockpit is mirror-finished; you can't see inside. Suddenly, the top deck of the rear hull of the tank opens, and a boxy rocket-pod deploys upward, it's tubes level with your head!

[OOC: Defend against a Coordination 3 missile attack! Here's the problem; even if the missiles miss you, they're gonna hit something...]

Nereid (near Kuakini General):
The air-lifting VTOLs drop their cargo near another articulated tank at the edge of a park. Both vehicles immediately orient their turrets toward the largest civic structure in the area; Kuakini General Hospital, a couple of blocks away! A half-dozen men in blue ballistic armor and military-style helmets rappel down from the third VTOL, taking up positions alongside the tanks.

[OOC: Test Coordination vs a Difficulty of 5 to sneak close without being observed.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:45, Mon 05 May 2014.

Nereid
 player, 201 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Sun 4 May 2014
at 02:35
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 10):

OOC: 22:32, Today: Nereid rolled 5 using 2d6-7. sneak around.

Coordination 4+ 5=9 ....today Nereid is sneaky

DainXB - GM
 GM, 743 posts
Mon 5 May 2014
at 04:44
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid (near Kuakini General):
You easily make it to the edge of the park, crouching near a dense clump of decorative tropical flowers. The soldiers, the huge armored vehicles, and their air support all seem focused on the hospital. The tanks roll forward slowly, blocking (and terrifying) the early morning commuter traffic.

Suddenly, from above the hospital, you see an airborne figure! He swoops down on iridescent wings, firing some sort of energy bolts from his fingertips at the air-lift VTOL! He wears a black mask over his lower face, revealing strange, faceted compound eyes and a shock of dark, wiry hair. His costume is black, the front of the torso striped with bold yellow v-shapes.

[OOC: Test Telepathy vs a Difficulty of 3 to read the mind of one of the soldiers.]
Nereid
 player, 202 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Mon 5 May 2014
at 14:19
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 12):


Great... this just gets more confusing...so let's see what the heck is going on here.



OOC: Telepathy 6 +
10:16, Today: Nereid rolled -1 using 2d6-7. Telepathy Roll.

5...whew not a great roll but still beat the number

Todd
 player, 282 posts
 Determination: 5
 Stamina: 11
Wed 7 May 2014
at 02:10
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
"Sonuva -"

Todd takes a split second to crouch, then leaps towards the nearest VTOL aircraft.

The missiles fly underneath him, and he realizes with horror that he doesn't know what was behind him before he leapt.

Grrrr... I don't have much to work with here. Nice dilemma building!

I'm going to spend a point of Determination to use my Leap to avoid the missiles and to land on the closest VTOL. Let me know if this is legit.

Coordination 6 + Roll 0 = 6.

If the roll succeeds on putting me on the VTOL can I punch it?

DainXB - GM
 GM, 744 posts
Wed 7 May 2014
at 05:17
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid (near Kuakini General):
The nearest soldier is scanning the tanks left flank, watching the street.

:Nice park::Traffic's keeping back::Good::Nice sunshine::Been three years::Three year tour in Hawaii, the recruiter said::F*@king son of a bitch didn't tell me it'd be three years in a barracks::memory of gray steel walls, rows of bunks::memory of different gray steel walls, rows of tanks::Suck it up, soldier!::Mind on the mission!::Seize control of civil services::Establish martial law::Wait for the Tinker's orders::F*@k!::Should've stayed in Rhodesia...:

The soldier your "eavesdropping" on is facing away from the flying man; he hasn't spotted him yet. The flying man's energy blasts don't seem to have much effect on the VTOL. He streaks overhead, and you loose sight of him in the trees at the center of the park.

He comes back, low and fast, firing bolts from his fingertips at two of the soldiers!

Todd (in the Shoals):
You kick off, flinging yourself toward the nearest VTOL. You slam into it's fuselage, just behind the mirrored cockpit, and scrabble for a grip against the pebbled surface. The missiles streak underneath you; you hang on and twist to see what was behind you...

What was behind you was a woman, flying above the street suspended from a voluminous sky-blue cape! Her costume is storm-cloud grey, fading to white at her hands and feet. Circular gold clasps at either shoulder support the billowing cape.

You follow the superhero news; she's Storm Warden, "mistress of the weather"--and she might just be able to save your bacon! Her brow furrows in concentration, and the missile tracks bend upward...

The good news is, three of them are going to make a great fireworks show above the Shoals when they detonate. The bad news is, the fourth one is going to hit the VTOL you jumped onto...

[OOC: Gain 1 Determination for the Temporary Challenge "Crowded Sky". Also, of course you can punch the VTOL! :)]
Todd
 player, 283 posts
 Determination: 5
 Stamina: 11
Wed 7 May 2014
at 12:39
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd punches the VTOL.

He figures a good solid whack to the left engine will make evading the incoming missile a challenge. Speaking of missiles, Todd thinks it might be a good time to evade the missile himself.

He leaps back onto the tank. Next target: the missile rack.

Prowess +6 Roll +1 = 7. Pow.

Nereid
 player, 203 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Thu 8 May 2014
at 04:23
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to Todd (msg # 16):

Great...grunts never are going over the evil plan giving the mentalist all the exposition she needs. Of course that May change  now that the is under attack.


OOC: would I need another roll to delve deeper ?
DainXB - GM
 GM, 745 posts
Thu 8 May 2014
at 21:33
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Nereid (near Kuakini General):
You dig a little deeper into the mercenary's mind--his mental defenses are down thanks to his surprised reaction to the flying man!

:memory of gray steel walls, and soldiers in formation::memory of a sharp-eyed man with a pointed beard addressing the troops "You will be the strike force, the vanguard of a new nation, a new world order!"::memory of boredom::memory of the bearded man inspecting a formation of soldiers "Control of civil services, the media, and the police is paramount. We will declare the New Kingdom of Hawaii before the existing authorities are even aware of our existence!"::memory of hours of flight aboard a VTOL, over bizarre-looking terrain...:

Your contact abruptly cuts off as the mercenary is hit by the flying man's energy bolts and knocked off his feet! The other soldiers take cover, but they're not returning fire--they're leaving that to the machinegun turrets on the flanks of the armored vehicles! Six turrets swing into action, tracking the intruder!

Todd (in the Shoals):
Your fist goes right through the engine cowling, sending turbine blades flying in all directions! You dive off the VTOL just as the missile hits, turning the craft into an airborne fireball!

Dropping toward the rear deck of the tank, it feels almost like you're falling slower than you should... On the one hand, not going splat is nice; but on the other hand you were kind of counting on the extra velocity of your fall to back up your punch...

[OOC: You can attack the missile launcher now, as you land on it.]
Todd
 player, 284 posts
 Determination: 5
 Stamina: 11
Thu 8 May 2014
at 23:54
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
"Step one: shut you down," Todd says as he rips the missile launcher out of its housing.

"Step two: put you to good use," he adds as he hefts the missile launcher, scanning for another VTOL aircraft.

I'm assuming that ripping out the missile launcher is a roll vs Strength. If the launcher is capable of evasive action (pivoting, withdrawing) it would be prowess, so...

Strength 8 (or Prowesss 6) + Roll -1 = 7 (or 5).

DainXB - GM
 GM, 750 posts
Mon 12 May 2014
at 23:00
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd (in the Shoals):
Ripping the missile launcher free is relatively simple. Hitting the other VTOL will be (slightly) more challenging!
[OOC: Test Coordination vs Difficulty 4!]

Storm Warden's voice, amplified by her powers somehow, carries to you. "Be careful where you throw that! Civilians are downrange, and I'm a little too... occupied... to snag foul balls." You see a dense black cloud forming in the air above and behind her, crackling with flashes of lightning.
Todd
 player, 285 posts
 Determination: 5
 Stamina: 11
Mon 12 May 2014
at 23:50
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
"Thanks, coach. I miss the shot I'm off the varsity team. Got it."

He braces, gets a solid line on the nearest VTOL, and hurls the launcher.

BANGGG!!!

"How 'bout you look after the others up top. Me and the boy panzers have business down here."

Coordination 6 + Roll - 2 = 4. Barely made it.

Nereid
 player, 204 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 8/8
Thu 15 May 2014
at 04:32
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
In reply to Todd (msg # 21):

Nereid decides that she will not have time to figure this out before they kill the (possible) hero.

She sends a message

Hey flying guy...I've got your back...do these tanks have a weak spot?
DainXB - GM
 GM, 754 posts
Fri 16 May 2014
at 01:11
Re: E4S6 - Akamai City - Time Keeper, Todd, Nereid
Todd (in the Shoals):
The missile launcer tears through the VTOL near one wing-root, sending it into a flat spiral. It's remaining fans howl as it tries to recover, but it flips and crashes into the street--hard. Oddly, there doesn't seem to be much wreckage after the fireball fades...

Storm Warden shouts down to you. "Incoming!" and points toward a pair of VTOLs rounding the corner down the street, headed in your direction. A pair of lightning bolts follow her gesture! "By the way, do you know what this is all about?"

From where you're standing on the rear deck of the tank, where the retractable missile launcer used to be, you see the low turret on the forward section spin toward you. The square bore of it's railgun barrel looks like a cinder block would fit down it, and it's about six feet from your chest!

[OOC: Defend against a Difficulty of 6! The railgun does 7 Stamina if it hits!]

Nereid (near Kuakini General):
You hear his startled response in your mind. :You're a telepath?!? : Pleasure to meet you; I'm Beeline. : All I know is, my 'venom blasts' aren't they're weakness--thats for sure... : I've never seen anything like these before. : Son-of-a-! : That last abrupt thought comes to you as one of the tanks fire's at Beeline with it's machinegun turrets. You're sure that at least a couple of bullets bounce off him, but a couple more hit! :I think that just cracked a rib!:

"What do these guys want with the hospital, anyway?" He shouts to you, still in flight.