E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian, Todd, Nereid.   Posted by DainXB - GM.Group: 0
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1003 posts
Wed 10 Dec 2014
at 06:49
E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
You and your "brothers" clamber out of the water near a ferry terminal. The other two immediately shift form, becoming a very ordinary looking Chinese man in work shirt and sturdy pants and a very ordinary looking Chinese man in a white shirt and tie. They're still drenched, of course, and the one in the tie is walking like everything hurts. They look expectantly in your direction.

Work Shirt says "Hurry up! The Incense Mistress is going to be very angry as it is. If we're late getting back, it's the Hell of Crawling Up the Hill of Knives for us, for sure!"
Amm-Fibian
 player, 409 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Thu 11 Dec 2014
at 17:21
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"Okay, here I go... changing my appearance..."
Ian attempts to take the form of Jackie Chan.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1006 posts
Fri 12 Dec 2014
at 05:18
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
Without a mirror, it's hard to tell if you're completely successful. But your hands look like human hands now, attached to well-muscled forearms. You appear to be wearing a beige shirt with gold buttons and a stiff stand-up collar--slightly damp.

Limping to the road, the demon wearing the tie hails a blue-liveried taxi-cab. The three of you clamber into the back seat. "九龍寨城公園." He says to the driver.
Amm-Fibian
 player, 410 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Fri 12 Dec 2014
at 13:00
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian sits in the back, smiles wide, and tries to pick up some of the language.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1008 posts
Sun 14 Dec 2014
at 06:25
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
[OOC: According to the rulebook, at Intellect 9 you understand thirty different languages (counting your native Aquan & maybe some Aquan dialects).

Picking up Cantonese on the fly, even with the weird accent the demons have, isn't difficult for you. It's made easier by the fact that all the signs in Hong Kong are in both English and Chinese. For example, the sign by the gate where the taxi lets you all out is "Kowloon Walled City Park".

Another sign says "South Gate", and gives some references to the historical building at this end of the park. It was originally the Assistant Magistrate of Hong Kong's office and home. Later it was used as an orphanage; now it's a museum.

Just to the right of the gate is a fallen stone slab, split in half and engraved with "Kowloon Walled City" in Cantonese. Obviously another historical monument.

The demons head toward the building, but stop near a hexagonal stone block. The attached tourist information sign calls it the "Old Well". You notice a couple of young children lurking in the shadows near the building. Their eyes are entirely dark, as if they are all pupil...

Work Shirt shoves the hip-high stone aside, revealing a circular stone-lined hole. Tie-wearer groans, but starts climbing down.

"After you..." Work Shirt says.
Amm-Fibian
 player, 411 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Sun 14 Dec 2014
at 22:03
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian sighs and begins to climb down.
As he climbs he makes vague conversation, hoping to draw out some information.
"Should the children be out at this time? Do you think the lady will be very angry with us?"
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1010 posts
Tue 16 Dec 2014
at 04:58
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Work Shirt snorts. "The xiao gui* are out whenever the Feather Empress says they're out." He goes down another twenty feet or so, then continues. "She must have them keeping watch on the Old Well--showing she doesn't trust us to do it, just to make a point. The Incense Mistress will be angry, for sure--about that, about us letting that little gwailo s#!t escape, about everything..."

The rough cobbles inside the well provide good hand-holds, all the way down to a damp stone floor. The tunnel has an arching roof and rough-hewn walls, but the supports holding the roof up are elaborately carved arches featuring coiling dragons, clawing tigers, and other decorative motifs. The lacquer work on the arches is colorful, intricate, and badly damaged by centuries of damp.

Your demonic sense of smell is assaulted by the musky odor of seven kinds of incense and at least seven kinds of demon...

The demon in the tie shifts back into his normal form. "Aahhh... That's better!" He grunts, and leads the way down the tunnel toward a set of heavy, ornately carved wooden doors. It takes all three of you to push them open.

Beyond the doors is a broad, high-ceilinged hall, painted in red and highlighted with peeling gold leaf. Antique weapons and armor line the walls. As the three of you get about halfway down the hall, you notice a couple of the helmets turn to follow your progress...

All the way at the far end is an elaborate shrine, on a platform. Incense sticks the size of garden rakes stand in rows in front of it, producing a nauseatingly-complex odor.

There are heavy double doors on either side of the hall, just before you get to the shrine. Work Shirt transforms back into his demonic form, turns toward the right hand door, and says. "Any last words before we face Her wrath?"

* "Little Ghosts"
Amm-Fibian
 player, 412 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Tue 16 Dec 2014
at 22:58
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian transforms back into a demon, and shrugs.
"I guess we may as well get this over with."
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1014 posts
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 05:38
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
Work Shirt pushes open the red-lacquered door. It leads to an antechamber big enough to park Ishida-san's whole laboratory inside. The walls are lined with tables and shelves of various heights, all holding braziers and bowls with clustered sticks of incense. Three other sets of doors, each behind an elaborately-painted folding screen, are on the opposite end of the room, one on each wall. A cushion-strewn dias dominates that end of the room, covered in a sweep of red silk.

Work Shirt and Tie-Wearer advance toward the dias, and kowtow as they get half-way there. As they do so, Zhang Jue enters from the left door, gliding gracefully around the folding screen and striding toward the dias...
Amm-Fibian
 player, 413 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 22:57
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian watches the other two and tries to act like they do, keeping slightly behind them.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1016 posts
Sat 20 Dec 2014
at 23:02
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
"You three have a great deal to answer for." She says, sprawling on the cushioned dias. The more she looks to be at ease, the less at ease your companions seem to be. You can smell both of them sweating...

"The very name of the Blue Devil Tong is supposed to strike fear into our enemies! Did that 国外 朋克 look afraid when he kicked your asses?" Her voice rises sharply, and you can hear a rhythmic knocking sound as the other two demons are gently banging their heads on the brocade carpet.

Tie-Wearer is trembling uncontrollably, and seems ready to soil himself. Work Shirt at least makes a token defense. "But Mistress, you did not warn us that we would be facing a 超級英雄... Brothers, tell her! We were not aware of his strength until it was too late..."

"You are a disgrace!" She snaps her fingers, and a gong sitting on a side table rings resonantly. "Your punishment should be an example to the others."
Amm-Fibian
 player, 414 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Sun 21 Dec 2014
at 22:22
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"To be fair, we were just following your example of fleeing like a coward. These newcomers seem invincible. Their power is obviously stronger than ours. I say we surrender, unless the Lady's superior has a plan."

Ian nods and looks around the room, taking in any clues he can.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:23, Sun 21 Dec 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 1020 posts
Mon 22 Dec 2014
at 01:03
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
Other demons begin to file in through the doors you used, answering the summoning gong. A dozen blue-skinned, yellow-fanged demons approach to just behind where you're kneeling, and drop to their knees in a kowtow.

Zhang Jue turns purple-flashing eyes on you. "Dolt! My intentions were not to engage them in direct battle, only to test their strength and determine their numbers. Those two gwailo are fools! They have no knowledge of the Feather Empress' plans for the artifact they seek!" She draws one of the red-jade hairpins out of her complex coiffure, spinning it between her fingers. When her hand falls,the eight-inch hairpin remains spinning in mid-air--then it streaks out and embeds itself in Work Shirt's forehead! He drops to the carpet, staining it with blue-purple blood.

"Does anyone else wish to complain that he is uninformed?"  She pulls another hairpin out, allowing one dark lock of hair to come free.

"Does anyone else wish to suggest surrender?" She says menacingly, twiddling the hairpin between her fingers...
Amm-Fibian
 player, 415 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Mon 22 Dec 2014
at 22:06
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"If the plan was to test their strength and determine their numbers, it seems to me we did a fine job of both. Why are we being punished for success?
We have learned that if we keep prodding the big dumb one, he will keep mindlessly flailing away at shadows while the Feather Empress completes her plans without interference.
We only need to know the areas we should keep them away from
."

Ian bows in respect, still glancing around for clues.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1022 posts
Sat 27 Dec 2014
at 20:29
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
[OOC: Nice! Test Intellect vs a Difficulty of 7 to see if she falls for your verbal trap and starts monologuing. :)]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 417 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Sat 27 Dec 2014
at 22:10
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
OOC: Rolled and used Determined Effort (and glad I did!) to make sure I get enough success to get her to talk.
16:07, Today: Amm-Fibian rolled 3,6 using d6,d6. Get her to monologue, (Determined Effort).
-3 +9 Int = 6
so I failed but I'm using Effort (I have 2 points, let me know how much I need)
Tagging "Seas Greatest Detective" if that's needed.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 1028 posts
Sun 4 Jan 2015
at 01:48
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
[It costs you 1 Determination to get the success you need.]

Zhang Jue twirls the hairpin between her fingers. "We must keep the gwailo "heroes" away from here, of course... The Feather Empress must see that I am... that we are diligent at our tasks! Perhaps we can divert their attention as you say... I will dispatch the Six Storms to "prod" them, and keep them occupied. But it is of paramount importance that 東龍洲* be protected until the ceremony is complete--and the Blue Devil Tong must be seen as critical to that success! Her eternal power must be extended so that we may all achieve immortality!"

Suddenly, Zhang Jue is cut off by an echoing canine howl! It sounds like it's coming from the door behind the dais!


*Eastern Dragon Island
Amm-Fibian
 player, 418 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Sun 4 Jan 2015
at 21:53
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian bows again, very low.
"It will be as you say! I will make certain of it."

If nothing happens from the howl, he will continue...

Indicating himself and Tie Wearer, Ian says.
"Perhaps we should go to the artifact, while the Six Storms prod the Big Dumb One?"
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1032 posts
Sun 4 Jan 2015
at 22:13
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Zhang Jue nods. "Yes, you two will take a dozen brothers to guard Eastern Dragon Island--but first, come with me!" She steps off the dais and strides toward the rear wall. With a flick of her hand, she exerts some undetectable force, sweeping aside the folding screen that blocked your view of the door.

It's big and ornate, with gold-leaf covered foo dogs climbing both door posts. The howling is coming from somewhere beyond...
Amm-Fibian
 player, 419 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Thu 8 Jan 2015
at 00:40
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian nods to Tie Wearer and follows...
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1035 posts
Fri 9 Jan 2015
at 00:51
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
Suddenly, a stone foo dog covered in tattered gold leaf smashes out through the door, sending splinters flying everywhere! The foo dog flips and skids to a stop on the carpet, agate eyes rolled back in it's head. The gilded door supports on either side suddenly animate, dropping to all fours and growling at the far end of the hallway, where Todd is doing his best to keep another foo dog from closing it's jaws around his head.

"Him again!" Zhang Jue swears in a version of Chinese so old you can't translate it. "Kill him--kill him now!"
Amm-Fibian
 player, 420 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Fri 9 Jan 2015
at 23:14
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian nods vigorously and pats Tie Wearer on the back smiling. "Now we can get some redemption!"
He charges in, trying to make sure Tie Wearer is in the lead. As he runs he scans the area for possible escape routes for Todd.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1041 posts
Mon 12 Jan 2015
at 04:44
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd:
Your thrown foo dog bowls over the two bounding toward you from the other end of the hallway. The three of them form a temporarily-dazed pile skidding toward the broken door at that end.

So much for the good news. The bad news is that, framed by the splintered door, you see Zhang Jue backed by a pack of snarling blue demons. Two demons charge forward on either side of her! Others, equipped with pole-arms and hooked blades, lurk in the room beyond.

Zhang Jue shouts "卦二十三:剝皮!", and a half-dozen daggers appear, spinning and glinting like a metal whirlwind between her cupped hands. She looks at you menacingly and the daggers twirl outward, spiraling in your direction!

[OOC: Defend against a Difficulty of 7! The Daggers of Flaying do 7 Stamina if they surround you!]

Ian:
The hallway is broad and short, decorated with elaborately painted floor-to-ceiling scrolls and a row of three gilt-brass chandeliers. The heap of gold-leafed foo dogs is just ahead of you. The only doors are at the ends, and the room beyond Todd looks like a dead-end too. The only way out you know is back the way you came...

[OOC: Todd defends, then anyone can go in any order!]
Todd
 player, 368 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Tue 13 Jan 2015
at 03:42
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
The blades race towards Todd, forcing him to dive, roll and dodge to avoid them.

"Dunno which (dive) is worse!" Todd says. "Your (duck) disappearing (dive) all the time (roll), or me (leap) finding your sorry ass (dive) all over again!"

He rolls to his feet, the daggers now safely embedded in the wall. And, despite his evasive actions, considerably closer to Zhang Jue.

"Score: good guys 7, bad guy 0. Time for round two."

Coordination 6 + Acro 1 + Roll 0 = 7. Spend a Determination and invoke Peak Physical Perfection for a net score of 9.

If the daggers are still flying amend the "embedded in wall" bit.

How far away is Zhang Jue now? I'm assuming she's not just standing there waiting for me to punch her!

DainXB - GM
 GM, 1043 posts
Wed 14 Jan 2015
at 23:20
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd:
She's not far away--right behind the two blue guys storming toward you. The other, better armed blue guys are right behind her. And all the maneuvering has put the dog-pile of foo dogs right behind you. So its:

Audience Chamber | Blue demon army | busted door | Zhang Jue | 2 blue demons | Todd | 4 foo dogs | Door | Casting Chamber

[OOC: Anyone can go in any order--but you guys may want to do it Ian first, Todd second, because of what Ian mentioned in the OOC thread. :)]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 422 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Fri 16 Jan 2015
at 11:07
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
OOC: Amm-Fibian rolled 1,1 using d6,d6 ((1,1))
0 + 9 = 9 vs 4 dc
to create "Intentional Bungle" to aid Todd in punching tie wearer (and the Foo dogs too if that's possible.


Ian quickly calculates Tie Wearer's trajectory and foot patterns, as well as Todd's position and the Foo dogs behind him. He then kicks the back of Tie Wearers heel at just the right moment...
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1044 posts
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 04:33
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd:
Of the two demons running toward you, the one on the left seems particularly graceless. He clips the back of the other demon's heel with his clawed toes, causing his companion to suddenly glance toward him in surprise. It presents the perfect opening for a right cross... or a spinning back kick!

[OOC: There are three free tags of Intentional Bungle on the table. Feel free to use 'em! :)]
Todd
 player, 369 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Mon 19 Jan 2015
at 02:08
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Too easy.

Todd hauls off, checks the distance, then unleashes a solid right-cross to the forward demon's jaw.

Keeer-AKKK!!!

Prowess 6 + Martial Arts 1 + Roll 0 = 7. If adding a free tag will knock the demon out I'll take it.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1047 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2015
at 23:49
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd:
[OOC: One free tag used.]
The demon's head (and the rest of his body) spins around with a crack! He drops to the floor. The other lead demon (the clumsy one) seems to have fallen down after tripping his companion--he's on the floor out cold as well!

Ian:
[OOC: Faking being unconscious is performance art; test Willpower vs everybody else's Awareness; Roll once and we'll compare vs the demons at 3, foo dogs at 4, Zhang Jue's at 5, and Todd at 6.]

Todd:
Zhang Jue whips her arms around like a martial artist, and shouts "卦之一;採取強有力的行動!" Even though you're several feet away from her striking palm, the wave of energy from it curdles the air between you!

[OOC: Defend against a Difficulty of 7! Her force wave does 7 Stamina on a hit.]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 423 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Sat 24 Jan 2015
at 09:29
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
OOC:Amm-Fibian rolled 3,4 using d6,d6
-1 + 4 = 3
Ian only fools the demons!

Todd
 player, 370 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Mon 26 Jan 2015
at 23:13
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
It would make narrative sense for Todd to assume the demon is an enemy trying to trick him. Being Todd the obvious response is to kick it in the head.

If I do that would it earn Amm-Fibian a Determination point?

Amm-Fibian
 player, 424 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Wed 28 Jan 2015
at 12:31
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
OOC: Either way it's totally fine, I think it makes sense too.   :)
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1050 posts
Wed 28 Jan 2015
at 21:40
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd:
Yep, that demon laying there is totally faking being unconscious. Bet he's just waiting for you to duck Zhang Jue's force wave so he can attack you while you're distracted!

[OOC: Defend against a Difficulty of 7! Her force wave does 7 Stamina on a hit. Then you can kick the faker in the head!]


Ian:
Laying perfectly still, and trying to keep your eyes slightly crossed and glazed, all you can really see are Todd's bare feet, and the four Foo Dogs piled behind him. Wait... did that one on the bottom of the pile just blink?

Nereid:
The door leads to an antechamber the size of a basketball court. The walls are lined with mismatched tables and shelves holding braziers and bowls with clustered sticks of incense. There's so much smoke it's hard to see the other side of the room, but right in front of you is a dead demon with a red-jade hairpin sticking out of his forehead! Beyond the body is a cushion-strewn dais covered in red silk, and about a dozen blue trying to crowd into a set of double doors!

They're all either running away from you, or running toward something else!

[OOC: Todd is up, then Nereid and Ian can go (if Ian is still conscious)!]
Todd
 player, 371 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 07:08
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
No sooner has Todd placed his toe against the demon's head and drawn it back than he spots the force wave sweeping in.

He spins and backflips out of the way as the wave rushes past.

Coord 6 + Acro 1 + Roll 5 = 11.

The immediate threat dealt with Todd glances down at the demon. Just lying there...

Boot!

Prowess 6 + Martial Arts 2 + Roll -4 = 4.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1053 posts
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 02:42
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd:
Your epic dodge didn't leave you with much momentum for the kick. It would've knocked a human being cold, of course--but you're not sure how much it did to the demon...

Ian:
Ouch!
[OOC: Your host takes 4 Stamina from that kick. Your (admittedly non-native) assessment of his condition is that he can't take another hit like that.]

Nereid:
Past the crowd of demons you catch sight of Zhang Jue sending some sort of blast wave from her spread palms against a nearly-naked Todd!

[OOC: Ian and Nereid are up, in any order you choose!]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 425 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Sat 31 Jan 2015
at 22:19
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian relinquishes control of his host...
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1055 posts
Tue 3 Feb 2015
at 17:26
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
You return to your body, still in your landsuit, laying down in the back of Agent Kwai-Pun's SUV and sliding back and forth as the vehicle maneuvers. Detective Jones is at the wheel, and Agent Kwai-Pun is on her radio.

"...coordinate with HKPD to isolate Kowloon Walled City Park. Deploy ARU* and MCU* at the South Gate and wait for my signal; we have foreign assets in play."

Detective Jones crosses two lanes, narrowly avoiding oncoming traffic, and wrenches the vehicle to a stop. "Nereid trailed them to here? Looks like a tourist attraction..."


*Armed Response Unit
*Metahuman Containment Unit
Nereid
 player, 279 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 4/8
Wed 4 Feb 2015
at 00:49
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 37):

Zeroing in on Zhang Zue, Kai tries to open an mental connection with the...the...whatever she is...and send some psychic pain her way.


Todd? Why is it she appears everywhere and beats you up? The whole tattered tough guy look is working for you by the way...not that I...noticed...much...

Then Nereid's eyes glow and she begins to sing

OOC: Spending 1 point of Determination to stunt Telepathy to a Mental Blast. Have 3 so now I have 2

Willpower 5  + (Roll)
19:48, Today: Nereid rolled 2 using 2d6-7. Mental Blast.

Total effort 7
Telepathy 6

DainXB - GM
 GM, 1057 posts
Fri 6 Feb 2015
at 04:36
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Nereid:
[OOC: Beeline is going to be jealous if he finds out you're eyeing Todd... :) ]

Zhang Jue grabs her temples with both hands, and shrieks in pain! Spinning around, she manages to focus on you. "Seize her! Then carve her limb from limb!"

The dozen demon guards between the two of you turn your way, brandishing weapons. Two, wielding "man-catcher" polearms, try to pin you against the dais!

[OOC: Test Prowess or Coordination (whichever is higher) twice vs a Difficulty of 4. You really don't want to know what happens next if they grab you...]

Todd:
The demon on the floor that was faking being unconscious isn't faking any more. Zhang Jue is facing away from you now--and you hear a low growl from behind you...

Meanwhile, on the surface...

Ian:
A black, windowless vehicle, escorted through traffic by a pair of Hong Kong PD police cars, pulls up next to where Detective Jones parked the SUV. Six humans dressed in paramilitary gear step out. The one in the lead salutes Agent Kwai-Pun.

Detective Jones notices that you're back as he gets out of the vehicle. "Ian! Where have you been? Or who, I guess..." He gestures toward the park. "We followed Nereid here. There's been no contact from Todd..."

[OOC: Nereid defends, then anyone can go in any order you like!]
Nereid
 player, 280 posts
 Determination:02/03
 Stamina 4/8
Mon 9 Feb 2015
at 17:39
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 39):

OOC: Prowess 6
12:34, Today: Nereid rolled 0 using 2d6-7. Dodge 2.
12:34, Today: Nereid rolled 1 using 2d6-7. Dodge 1.

Efforts 8, 7 so I don't die a horrible death

Prowess 6
12:36, Today: Nereid rolled -1 using 2d6-7. Spin kick a demon.

Effort 5, Strength 3


Nereid deftly dodges "the cute surfer woman" catcher pole-arms leaps into the air trying to connect with the back of a demon's head with a spin kick.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:43, Wed 11 Feb 2015.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 1060 posts
Fri 13 Feb 2015
at 00:53
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Nereid:
You definitely rattled his brains--enough that he drops his man-catcher and follows it to the floor.

The down side is that you're now crowd-surfing a mosh pit of demons with sharp pointy weapons...

[OOC: Ian and Todd can go in any order!]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 427 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 22:01
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"Todd is inside, battling Zhang Jue. He seemed to be holding his own quite well. Something is happening with a place called Eastern Dragon Island, a ritual involving a Feather Empress."
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1062 posts
Sun 15 Feb 2015
at 06:37
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
Agent Kwai-Pun waves the paramilitary team forward, toward the Old Well. "The Feather Empress? She's been a thorn in Hong Kong's side since... well, since forever. She's an immortal demon-queen from ancient times, and the under-lord behind half the supernatural crime we have here."

The Hong Kong Bureau's agents advance by twos, each pair covering one another. Approaching the well cap, the leader holds up his hand in the tactical sign for a pause. "Couple of kids near the museum building. Bravo team; advance and clear the civilians from the area." His voice comes clearly over Agent Kwai-Pun's radio.

The second pair of agents jog past the well cap, toward the building--and suddenly drop to their knees!

[OOC: Todd is up!]
Todd
 player, 372 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Mon 16 Feb 2015
at 00:24
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd picks up a foo dog and lifts it to his chin like a bowling ball.

He takes a moment to gauge the angle and distance between himself and the gaggle of demons Nereid is crowd-surfing.

He draws the dog back as he steps forward, bends his knee, and releases the foo dog. The beast rolls down the hallway.

Rolling, rolling, rolling...

"Steee-RIKE!"

Coordination 6 + Roll 1 = 7, and if needed I'll spend Determination to achieve a Moderate Success =.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1064 posts
Tue 17 Feb 2015
at 15:48
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd:
[OOC: 1 Determination (& tagging Peak Physical Perfection)to Stunt Burst onto your attack, but you rolled a Moderate Success, so there's no additional cost.]

The blue demons go flying in several directions, some bouncing off the corridor walls and dropping to the floor! The foo dog "bowling ball" ricochets off the dais and takes out a rack of incense burners.

Todd, Nereid:
Zhang Jue snarls "卦六十四。有完整的障礙在這裡。很多糾正,多舉辦!" and drops both hands to her sides, balled into fists. A wave of pure force--or perhaps pure rage--smashes you both toward the floor, and scrapes you (and everything else) toward opposite ends of the hallway!

[OOC: You each gain 1 Determination because Zhang Jue is spending Determination. Test Prowess against a Difficulty of 7. Her telekinetic crush does 7 Stamina on a hit!]


[OOC: After Todd & Nereid defend, anyone can go in any order!]
Nereid
 player, 281 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 4/8
Wed 18 Feb 2015
at 22:42
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 45):

OOC:

Prowess 6
17:25, Today: Nereid rolled -2 using 2d6-7. Prowess , dodge the TK Blast.

Effort 4

So I will be KOed, which sounds fitting. Nereid has been very physical this scene and pushed herself to without a rest.

If it seems that Todd needs a little help, I could try to stay in the fight.

Dain, If I understand the the new dtermination rules correctly I could spend 1 point to activate  my "Descendant of Warriors wirh a heart of a pacifist" ---justifying that since I was a little girl "Uncles" Jey and Jimmie used to train me to fight (Flashback) and then spend another point for a reroll

Or I could be KOed and then spend 1 Determination point to activate the quality to justify a recovery

Correct?



DainXB - GM
 GM, 1065 posts
Thu 19 Feb 2015
at 23:21
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Nereid:
[OOC: The new terminology is a bit odd, but I think it's intended to distance ICONS from Fate Core a bit.

You can spend 1 Determination to use Determined Effort to reroll your defense, and spend another one to activate the Quality you described, have the flashback, and get a +2 on the roll. Alternatively, you could take the hit, then spend 1 Determination to activate an appropriate Quality and Recover, as you described.]

Todd
 player, 373 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Fri 20 Feb 2015
at 12:49
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd leaps to the ceiling, jamming his fingers into the cracks, flattening himself as the full force passes beneath him.

Coord 6 + Acro 1 + Roll 0 = 7. Barely!
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1068 posts
Sun 1 Mar 2015
at 06:12
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
[OOC: Waiting on Nereid to decide which way to spend her Determination.]
Nereid
 player, 282 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 4/8
Sun 1 Mar 2015
at 22:23
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 49):

OOC: Sorry, I am going down for a short nap. But spending a point of determination to recover. So, I see her missing at least an exchange as she bounces back....

The kenetic blast knocks Kai back and she loses consciousness.

Kai now feels the gentle waters underneath her board, she is nine years old again and she can see that high tides are moving in.

As she begins to paddle into the surf, she hears a voice that hasn't resonated in her ears for several years, her grandfather.

Mo'opuna! Mo'opuna! Mo'opuna*...come back! he shouts to her.

But Kupunkane**...the waves are amazing...I...

No my little one, come back...your friend needs you.

Kupunkane...

Mo'opuna... he always stressed the last part when he was set to getting his way. So Kai paddles to shore leaving the waves to crash behind her.

Yes sir...

What are you doing? Are you not a warrior of your tribe? Why aren't you fighting?

I don't want to fight...I am tired...I want to surf.

But your holapili*** , Todd needs ytour strenght, your will, your mind. to overcome the demon.

You mean the one that blasted me with a power I don't even comprehend...who has the army of demons I've chased all over town, which didn't help anything...I want to rest...to surf.

Enough... He was now younger, stronger dressed as a warrior.... You are Kai, named for the ocean and you are as nurturung and as fierce as your namesake. Awake Kai and embrace your inner warrior...there will be enough time to sleep when you are dead, trust me on that.

* grandfather
**grandchild
***comrade, close friend
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1071 posts
Tue 3 Mar 2015
at 07:20
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Nereid:
[OOC: That was really cool narration! Applause!]

[OOC: Todd and Ian are up, in any order. Then the bad guys go. Nereid rejoins the order after that.]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 430 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Wed 4 Mar 2015
at 23:01
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian directs the Agents into the location using his suits comm system...

OOC: Amm-Fibian rolled 1,2 using d6,d6 ((1,2))
-1 + 9 = 8 vs diff 7

Todd
 player, 375 posts
 Determination: 4
 Stamina: 11
Thu 5 Mar 2015
at 01:34
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Intense, incandescent anger.

He gives Zhang Jue a look that could wither stone. "I am sick to death of you."

He pulls four of Zhang Jue's magically-summoned daggers from the wall, and strides towards her with one purpose: to stop her.

"I am the man of the future, and I don't want you in it."

He lifts his arms, two daggers per hand, and prepares to throw.

"Tomorrow strikes today, and this ends now."

Todd hurls the daggers at Zhang Jue. Hopefully she's expecting the worst and wets her pants - but all Todd really intends is to pin her to the wall.

Mechanically it's a binding attack. Narratively he throws four daggers, one per sleeve to the wall and two for her both sides of her collar to pin her to the wall.

I'm aiming for a Major Success, and I'm ready to unload a whole bunch of Determination dice to achieve this. I figure I can invoke Peak Physical Perfection, Tomorrow Strikes Today catchphrase, and Resentful Outcast.

Binding 6 + Roll 1 + Determination (up to +6) = 7-13.

Take that, 牛.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 1073 posts
Fri 6 Mar 2015
at 18:51
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
[OOC: You create the Quality "Agents on the Scene", as the second wave of MIB Agents pour down the old well.]

The peculiar children near the museum entrance suddenly become two-dimensional, like shadows cast on the wall of the building, then flicker and disappear! The first pair of MIB agents slowly stagger to their feet, tears pouring down their cheeks.

Todd:
[OOC: Major Success costs you two Determination.]
Your daggers strike home, pinning Zhang Jue's collar and broad sleeves to the wall! Unable to gesture, she can't use her sorcery to teleport away.

The demons see which way the wind is blowing, and flee the "audience chamber"--only to run headlong into the MIB Agents directed by Ian!

Nereid:
Your head is pounding, and you're still having trouble focusing your eyes, but you awaken to the official-sounding Chinese shouts of the MIB as they round up the remaining demons.

[You are all three out-of-combat at this point. Feel free to converse with one another and the NPCs!]
Todd
 player, 376 posts
 Determination: 2
 Stamina: 11
Fri 6 Mar 2015
at 19:08
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Worth every point. :)

Todd rushes to Nereid. "Are you - are you all right?"
Nereid
 player, 283 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 4/8
Sat 7 Mar 2015
at 16:05
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
In reply to Todd (msg # 55):

Nereid shakes off her "dreams" and is taken aback by all she missed.


Hey you....I..am...good....achy....sore...but good.


She looks around


So you cleaned up the demons and the magical ninja lady all by yourself? Impressive.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:41, Sun 08 Mar 2015.

Todd
 player, 377 posts
 Determination: 2
 Stamina: 11
Sun 8 Mar 2015
at 05:20
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"Dunno if 'all by myself' is true. I had help from you. And one of those demons was acting kinda weird."
Nereid
 player, 284 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 4/8
Wed 11 Mar 2015
at 19:45
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Todd:
"Dunno if 'all by myself' is true. I had help from you. And one of those demons was acting kinda weird."



And that would probably be Ian...love that guy...he is always dependable...so should be interrogate magical ninja lady?
Amm-Fibian
 player, 432 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Sat 21 Mar 2015
at 20:53
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian wanders over to interrogate the two agents who seemed affected by the creepy kids, as he mentally speaks to the team.

"Beware of two creepy Shadow children if you see them. Not much time for a rest yet I'm afraid, we have to aim Todd's punching towards a place called Eastern Dragon Island, and a woman named the Feather Empress. There is some sort of possibly world ending ritual taking place there."
Todd
 player, 379 posts
 Determination: 2
 Stamina: 11
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 12:42
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"Oh, crap," Todd says, slumping against the wall. "You mean this still isn't over?"
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1079 posts
Tue 24 Mar 2015
at 00:26
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Nereid:
"Eastern Dragon Island" rings a bell; as an archaeologist, you're aware of prehistoric rock carvings there, discovered back in the '70s, possibly depicting a dragon. Your archaeologist colleagues think that the early inhabitants of the island made the carvings as a way of placating the weather, and protecting themselves against violent storms...

[OOC: Data dump: http://www.amo.gov.hk/en/monuments_03.php]

Nereid
 player, 285 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 4/8
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 00:56
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
In reply to DainXB - GM (msg # 61):

Alrighty guys we have to race over Eastern Dragon Island, the isle is ancient and possibly used for rituals of protections from things scary and destructive....and you know in our line of work things scary and destructive tend to be less metaphorical than my archeologists buddies thought.
Todd
 player, 380 posts
 Determination: 2
 Stamina: 11
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 02:58
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"Dragons, huh? I can punch dragons," Todd says, scratching his chin. "It's this mystic-y magic-y stuff that I really hate."

He steps away from the wall.

"By the way, anybody got a spare shirt? My last one got kinda destroyed."
Amm-Fibian
 player, 433 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 1
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 08:12
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"Hmmmm... I will have to craft you a shirt to better withstand the punishment you receive on a regular basis. Something trendy to help you blend in... you could never pull off casual businessman... hmmmm, tourist! I'm thinking a dolphin hugging a unicorn in a rainbow hula skirt. But, ah yes, we should go punch things on the island first."
Nereid
 player, 286 posts
 Determination:03/03
 Stamina 4/8
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 17:58
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
In reply to Amm-Fibian (msg # 64):

Nereid cannot help just blurt out a laugh that's...a little too loud considering...

Sorry

she covers her mouth and blushes,

but that is so the perfect shirt for Todd...

...and we should be going.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 1081 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 23:16
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian, Nereid, Todd
Agent Kwai-Pun takes Zhang Jue into custody, assisted by a member of her response team--an elderly agent with long white mustaches who seems to rattle loosely within his tactical armor. As Agent Kwai-Pun fastens on the handcuffs, the older agent uses a small pot of glue to affix a slim scroll with Chinese lettering on it to the sorceress' forehead. The tip hangs down almost to her chin, but no amount of annoyed shaking of her head can dislodge the strip.

[OOC: Continued in thread E5S11 - Tung Lung Chau.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:29, Thu 02 Apr 2015.