E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian, Todd, Nereid.   Posted by DainXB - GM.Group: 0
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1003 posts
Wed 10 Dec 2014
at 06:49
E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
You and your "brothers" clamber out of the water near a ferry terminal. The other two immediately shift form, becoming a very ordinary looking Chinese man in work shirt and sturdy pants and a very ordinary looking Chinese man in a white shirt and tie. They're still drenched, of course, and the one in the tie is walking like everything hurts. They look expectantly in your direction.

Work Shirt says "Hurry up! The Incense Mistress is going to be very angry as it is. If we're late getting back, it's the Hell of Crawling Up the Hill of Knives for us, for sure!"
Amm-Fibian
 player, 409 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Thu 11 Dec 2014
at 17:21
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"Okay, here I go... changing my appearance..."
Ian attempts to take the form of Jackie Chan.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1006 posts
Fri 12 Dec 2014
at 05:18
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
Without a mirror, it's hard to tell if you're completely successful. But your hands look like human hands now, attached to well-muscled forearms. You appear to be wearing a beige shirt with gold buttons and a stiff stand-up collar--slightly damp.

Limping to the road, the demon wearing the tie hails a blue-liveried taxi-cab. The three of you clamber into the back seat. "九龍寨城公園." He says to the driver.
Amm-Fibian
 player, 410 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Fri 12 Dec 2014
at 13:00
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian sits in the back, smiles wide, and tries to pick up some of the language.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1008 posts
Sun 14 Dec 2014
at 06:25
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
[OOC: According to the rulebook, at Intellect 9 you understand thirty different languages (counting your native Aquan & maybe some Aquan dialects).

Picking up Cantonese on the fly, even with the weird accent the demons have, isn't difficult for you. It's made easier by the fact that all the signs in Hong Kong are in both English and Chinese. For example, the sign by the gate where the taxi lets you all out is "Kowloon Walled City Park".

Another sign says "South Gate", and gives some references to the historical building at this end of the park. It was originally the Assistant Magistrate of Hong Kong's office and home. Later it was used as an orphanage; now it's a museum.

Just to the right of the gate is a fallen stone slab, split in half and engraved with "Kowloon Walled City" in Cantonese. Obviously another historical monument.

The demons head toward the building, but stop near a hexagonal stone block. The attached tourist information sign calls it the "Old Well". You notice a couple of young children lurking in the shadows near the building. Their eyes are entirely dark, as if they are all pupil...

Work Shirt shoves the hip-high stone aside, revealing a circular stone-lined hole. Tie-wearer groans, but starts climbing down.

"After you..." Work Shirt says.
Amm-Fibian
 player, 411 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Sun 14 Dec 2014
at 22:03
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian sighs and begins to climb down.
As he climbs he makes vague conversation, hoping to draw out some information.
"Should the children be out at this time? Do you think the lady will be very angry with us?"
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1010 posts
Tue 16 Dec 2014
at 04:58
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Work Shirt snorts. "The xiao gui* are out whenever the Feather Empress says they're out." He goes down another twenty feet or so, then continues. "She must have them keeping watch on the Old Well--showing she doesn't trust us to do it, just to make a point. The Incense Mistress will be angry, for sure--about that, about us letting that little gwailo s#!t escape, about everything..."

The rough cobbles inside the well provide good hand-holds, all the way down to a damp stone floor. The tunnel has an arching roof and rough-hewn walls, but the supports holding the roof up are elaborately carved arches featuring coiling dragons, clawing tigers, and other decorative motifs. The lacquer work on the arches is colorful, intricate, and badly damaged by centuries of damp.

Your demonic sense of smell is assaulted by the musky odor of seven kinds of incense and at least seven kinds of demon...

The demon in the tie shifts back into his normal form. "Aahhh... That's better!" He grunts, and leads the way down the tunnel toward a set of heavy, ornately carved wooden doors. It takes all three of you to push them open.

Beyond the doors is a broad, high-ceilinged hall, painted in red and highlighted with peeling gold leaf. Antique weapons and armor line the walls. As the three of you get about halfway down the hall, you notice a couple of the helmets turn to follow your progress...

All the way at the far end is an elaborate shrine, on a platform. Incense sticks the size of garden rakes stand in rows in front of it, producing a nauseatingly-complex odor.

There are heavy double doors on either side of the hall, just before you get to the shrine. Work Shirt transforms back into his demonic form, turns toward the right hand door, and says. "Any last words before we face Her wrath?"

* "Little Ghosts"
Amm-Fibian
 player, 412 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Tue 16 Dec 2014
at 22:58
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian transforms back into a demon, and shrugs.
"I guess we may as well get this over with."
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1014 posts
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 05:38
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
Work Shirt pushes open the red-lacquered door. It leads to an antechamber big enough to park Ishida-san's whole laboratory inside. The walls are lined with tables and shelves of various heights, all holding braziers and bowls with clustered sticks of incense. Three other sets of doors, each behind an elaborately-painted folding screen, are on the opposite end of the room, one on each wall. A cushion-strewn dias dominates that end of the room, covered in a sweep of red silk.

Work Shirt and Tie-Wearer advance toward the dias, and kowtow as they get half-way there. As they do so, Zhang Jue enters from the left door, gliding gracefully around the folding screen and striding toward the dias...
Amm-Fibian
 player, 413 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 22:57
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian watches the other two and tries to act like they do, keeping slightly behind them.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1016 posts
Sat 20 Dec 2014
at 23:02
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
"You three have a great deal to answer for." She says, sprawling on the cushioned dias. The more she looks to be at ease, the less at ease your companions seem to be. You can smell both of them sweating...

"The very name of the Blue Devil Tong is supposed to strike fear into our enemies! Did that 国外 朋克 look afraid when he kicked your asses?" Her voice rises sharply, and you can hear a rhythmic knocking sound as the other two demons are gently banging their heads on the brocade carpet.

Tie-Wearer is trembling uncontrollably, and seems ready to soil himself. Work Shirt at least makes a token defense. "But Mistress, you did not warn us that we would be facing a 超級英雄... Brothers, tell her! We were not aware of his strength until it was too late..."

"You are a disgrace!" She snaps her fingers, and a gong sitting on a side table rings resonantly. "Your punishment should be an example to the others."
Amm-Fibian
 player, 414 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Sun 21 Dec 2014
at 22:22
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"To be fair, we were just following your example of fleeing like a coward. These newcomers seem invincible. Their power is obviously stronger than ours. I say we surrender, unless the Lady's superior has a plan."

Ian nods and looks around the room, taking in any clues he can.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:23, Sun 21 Dec 2014.

DainXB - GM
 GM, 1020 posts
Mon 22 Dec 2014
at 01:03
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
Other demons begin to file in through the doors you used, answering the summoning gong. A dozen blue-skinned, yellow-fanged demons approach to just behind where you're kneeling, and drop to their knees in a kowtow.

Zhang Jue turns purple-flashing eyes on you. "Dolt! My intentions were not to engage them in direct battle, only to test their strength and determine their numbers. Those two gwailo are fools! They have no knowledge of the Feather Empress' plans for the artifact they seek!" She draws one of the red-jade hairpins out of her complex coiffure, spinning it between her fingers. When her hand falls,the eight-inch hairpin remains spinning in mid-air--then it streaks out and embeds itself in Work Shirt's forehead! He drops to the carpet, staining it with blue-purple blood.

"Does anyone else wish to complain that he is uninformed?"  She pulls another hairpin out, allowing one dark lock of hair to come free.

"Does anyone else wish to suggest surrender?" She says menacingly, twiddling the hairpin between her fingers...
Amm-Fibian
 player, 415 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Mon 22 Dec 2014
at 22:06
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
"If the plan was to test their strength and determine their numbers, it seems to me we did a fine job of both. Why are we being punished for success?
We have learned that if we keep prodding the big dumb one, he will keep mindlessly flailing away at shadows while the Feather Empress completes her plans without interference.
We only need to know the areas we should keep them away from
."

Ian bows in respect, still glancing around for clues.
DainXB - GM
 GM, 1022 posts
Sat 27 Dec 2014
at 20:29
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
Ian:
[OOC: Nice! Test Intellect vs a Difficulty of 7 to see if she falls for your verbal trap and starts monologuing. :)]
Amm-Fibian
 player, 417 posts
 Currently - AmmFibian
 Determination: 2
Sat 27 Dec 2014
at 22:10
Re: E5S8 - West Kowloon - Ian
OOC: Rolled and used Determined Effort (and glad I did!) to make sure I get enough success to get her to talk.
16:07, Today: Amm-Fibian rolled 3,6 using d6,d6. Get her to monologue, (Determined Effort).
-3 +9 Int = 6
so I failed but I'm using Effort (I have 2 points, let me know how much I need)
Tagging "Seas Greatest Detective" if that's needed.