Through the Drakwald.   Posted by Game Master.Group: archive 0
Game Master
 GM, 9 posts
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 04:58
Through the Drakwald
You have all survived the war. Survival comes at its price though. Many of your friends and family were lost. All of you bear scars of some type with varying degrees of visibility. Untergard, this village you have come to, bears its scars very visibly. The streets are pitted and broken. The bridge which had been lovingly constructed with the assistance of dwarfs is nearly gone and barely hanging on. The bodies have been burnt, but the smell remains. You do not know whether or not to feel guilty that the smell of cooked pork from the cremation pyres makes your mouth water. It is by midday that you get word of a meeting in the town square of Untergard.

Over a hundred survivors of Untergard have already gathered in the decrepit town square and are muttering restlessly to one another. Many still nurse battle wounds, whilst others are clearly too old or young to have taken placve in the fighting. All are ragged and pale, and some are clearly pinched by hunger.

OOC: You may all ask the people what is going on if you choose. All I ask is that you declare where in the crowd you will be. The town square is in the middle of the Western side and the crowd faces away from the bridge to the east. There are building all around you, though there's plenty of room for large wagons to maneuver between said buildings and easily queue up to go over the bridge.

I'll try to get up a game map if I can. Please bear with me.

Ariarnhod Andraste
 player, 1 post
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 06:23
Re: Through the Drakwald
Arianrhod ghosts through the town, keeping to the edges of the square and making her way towards the bridge so she could see across it in case anything unsavoury came across.
Valornor Haugensen
 player, 2 posts
 Human Hunter
 of Arenshausen
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 09:26
Re: Through the Drakwald
When the Wolfrunner Coach he had been riding on reached the town of Delberz.  They found out that the road between it and the town of Sotturm.  Had two bridges washed out due to a series of storms that had let loose wide spread flooding in the northern Howling Hills and the northeast Dralwald Forest area. So the Coachline detoured the Coach to take the around about route eastward through the town of Middenstag and then the Village of Untergard.  Then northward through Grimminhagen and then Immelscheld and on to Middenheim.  Of course all at no extra charge.
An of course there was the War.  Wasn't there always one?  Or so it seemed.  But when the Coach neared the Village of Untergard.  The signs of war were everywhere. They had heard rumors that the bridge that crossed the river that bisected Untergard was damaged.  It could be seen that the road leading into the Village was blocked by the remains of several barricades.  The driver, Humfried Masel, sent the other blunderbuss armed coachman, Reinwald Ansel, forward to find out what he could about the bridge.  It would do not good to clear the road, if the bridge was not passable.  Valornor volunteered to accompany him.  An offer which Reinwald gladly excepted.  Saying.
"You might want to string the longbow of yours Laddie!  An keep an arrow a ready on it.  Just in case, we don't know what exactly we be walking into now, do we? Just lay back a bit and watch my back.  Cover me, if we need to make a quick retreat!"
Valornor, who had brought all his belongings with him, replied, while swiftly stringing his longbow and nocking an arrow on it's string.
"Right you are Ansel, I shall do just that. I will follow you lead in this matter.  I have some experience in battle, but it always took place in the forest.  I have slain a few bandits, beastmen and goblins in my time. But here we must be sure that those we fire upon are truely our foes.  An mean to do us harm.  The shot from your weapon spreads wide.  So be careful where it is aimed, if you pull that trigger of yours.  We do not want any innocent folks being hit by it."
From up on the coach's driver seat, Musel who was fitting a bolt into his just cocked crossbow, said.
"Listen to him Reinwald.  All we need is for you to stir up the locals.  By you going off half cocked!"
The coachman's only reply was a nod of the head toward the driver and then the same to the young hunter.  He then started down the road thru the outskirts of Untergard.  Valornor stayed about twenty feet behind him, scanning for any trouble.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:11, Tue 19 Feb 2013.

Kithband Warrior
 player, 2 posts
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 02:09
Re: Through the Drakwald
A lithe young woman maneuvers herself toward the town square, remaining within the shadows when possible. Her eyes dart across the gathering crowd, absorbing the scene before her.  Never before had she witnessed so many people of each race in such close quarters.  Many were crying, some were arguing and shouting, and most were simply glancing around anxiously.  Two drunken dwarf men nearly began a brawl, until a third, presumably sober, stepped between them to ameliorate matters.

In her mind, she laments the fact that a meeting had been called in the square of this wretched town.  She had been looking forward to reuniting with what remained of her kin and making the homeward journey to the Great Forest.  Thinking of home, she scans the crowd for familiar faces, but sees neither family nor friend.  That does not bode well.

The young woman decides to question villagers, hoping to glean some information as to why everyone's presence was requested.  She silently approaches a young man at the fringes of the crowd and places a hand on his shoulder.

He whirls to face her, hands raised in case he needs to defend himself.  When he notices that she isn't human, he lowers his hands and his head apologetically, yet looks all the more frightened.  Were this any ordinary day before the war, she would have been mildly amused at his fearful reaction.  Today, however, amusement is far from her mind.

"Pardon, good sir," she begins with a reassuring smile.  "Have you an idea regarding the purpose of our collective summons?"
Durin
 player, 3 posts
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 03:42
Re: Through the Drakwald
Durin stood to the right of the crowd with a noticeable gap between himself and anyone else who might happen to be close-by.  He was used to it by now, he supposed, seeing as how his presence still slightly unnerved the villagers despite having lived here for several years.  He had been a pit fighter and he had the scars to prove it.

It had been several years since he had saved enough money and bought his freedom from the Ogre pits in the East.  He kept mostly to himself but old habits died hard.  Or in some cases not at all.  Since this village was carved out of the forest, Beastmen attacks were a likely occurrence without a moment's notice so he carried his greataxe with him at all times.  This both comforted and concerned his fellow villagers.

He watched the stage with an easy patience borne out of years of practice.  Hopefully whatever was supposed to happen would happen soon.
Game Master
 GM, 15 posts
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 03:59
Re: Through the Drakwald
"Hello... elf" greets the man who Arethel approaches in a gruff voice, "The Capans done heard from Todbringer. We're about to hear the heard"

[Private to Valornor Haugensen: Going in the gates you notice that the forest around you is very quiet and the various fauna that should be out and about are away.]
Valornor Haugensen
 player, 4 posts
 Human Hunter
 of Arenshausen
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 04:59
Re: Through the Drakwald
As Reinwald and then the Valornor, approached the gates of the village.  The hunter noticed the natural background sound of birds and insects were missing.  Whether they had been driven away by the disruption of war or if some more immediate reasons that it was so.  It was hard for him to tell.  A chill ran down his spin, as the sensation of being watched, came over him.  He quickly glanced back over his shoulder toward the coach.  All seemed to be as they had left it.

(OOC: Are the gates openned or closed?)
Ze Dwarf
 player, 4 posts
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 14:17
Re: Through the Drakwald
Gunnar stood as he did most days at midday eating his lunch and studying the damaged bridge intently.

He took a bite of his sandwich, made some sketches, and grumbled under his breath for the thousandth time,"By Grungni's Beard I will fix you one day."

Folding the small scrap of paper he shoved it into his pocket and turned an angry glare at the crowd that had gathered behind him as he was performing his daily ritual.

To no one in particular he griped, "What in the hell is this annoyance all about?". Not really expecting an answer he hopped up on the cornerstone of the bridge to gain height scanned the crowd for a cause.
Valornor Haugensen
 player, 7 posts
 Human Hunter
 of Arenshausen
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 17:32
Re: Through the Drakwald
As they aproach the gate in the palisaded log wall that surrounded the village.  They were hailed by a guard on the the parapet walkway.  Reinward talked to the fellow.  Explaining to him about the rumors they had heard about the bridge being out their in the Untergard.  Asking for comformation to whether or not that was true.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:34, Wed 20 Feb 2013.

Game Master
 GM, 17 posts
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 03:19
Re: Through the Drakwald
It is confirmed to Valornor that the bridge is still in existence, however he is warned that the east side of the village is still dangerous.

Gunnar hears nothing, the people too busy looking at what's occurring on the stage in the center.
Xanthius
 player, 2 posts
 Human Tomb Robber
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 05:07
Re: Through the Drakwald
Xanthius walked along through Untergard, the pickings would be good here the war made sure of that. He moved, slinking through the town, stopping when he came to the center of town. Waiting at the edge of the town square, Xan was patient.
Valornor Haugensen
 player, 9 posts
 Human Hunter
 of Arenshausen
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 06:23
Re: Through the Drakwald
Game Master:
It is confirmed to Valornor that the bridge is still in existence, however he is warned that the east side of the village is still dangerous.

Gunnar hears nothing, the people too busy looking at what's occurring on the stage in the center.


Valornor helps Reinwald clear away enough debris from the road to allow the coach to pass through the southgate.  Shortly arriving at the The Acherplatz. Which seems to be a chaotic mess of all sorts people mulling around a half dozen or more fires.  With the remains of several burnt out or very low burning pyres can also be seen.  An from where he stood on the back of the coach, the bridge looked though it has been damaged and none to sturdy!

http://s1200.beta.photobucket.....html?sort=3&o=0

(Valornor is Green dot on back of coach.)

This message was last edited by the player at 14:57, Thu 21 Feb 2013.

Game Master
 GM, 21 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 01:33
Re: Through the Drakwald
A ripple runs through the crowd as Captain Schiller appears and walks up the stage, a collection of boxes. His uniform is torn and his armor is dented, but he still commands the respect of the crowd. Everyone listens closely.

"People of Untergard". he begins, "this is a glorious day. I have received a letter from Count Todbringer of Middenheim. The old wolf still lives and the city of Middenheim also stands strong!"

The crowd cheers and Schiller politely waits for them to quiet down before he continues.

"Count Todbringer sends his thanks to all of Untergard for the part we played in hampering the invaders. He said, and I quote 'The battel for Untergard Bridge will go down as one of the most glorious battles in Middenland's history'. Be proud, people of Untergard, for our sacrifices have not been in vain!"

Schiller is forced to wait quite a bit of time for the next round of cheering to die down. He smiles proudly, letting the people vent their happiness. Sigmar knows there has not been much to go around.

"To show his gratitue for our valor, the count has sent us a token of his appreciation" smiles Schiller, motioning to a watchmen at his side who opens a chest. Inside are dozens of loaves of bread and what looks like a vineyard's worth of wine.

"The Count has honored us with thirty-eight loaves of bread and forty-nine bottles of wine!" declares Schiller, speaking even though the crowd is going wild, "Long live the Count!" shouts Schiller. The crowd quickly takes up this call and they all begin chanting.

Schiller takes a bottle from the chest and proudly holds it up. There is suddenly a loud crack and the bottle Schiller has brought up shatters. Glass and good wine splatters across the town center. Schiller is taken a back by this. The crowd begins to shout and run to the west in panic, towards the town's hall which has been transformed into a fortress.

OOC: Perception Tests! Any success means you notice that there are six disgusting mutants who are starting to run across the bridge. Those of you who see this get to move first before they reach the bridge.

Time to roll for Initiative. This is Agility + 1d10.

For example, the mutants all have an Agility of 31. Therefore they roll 1d10, get a 1. Therefore they're at 32 for Initiative.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 19:33, Sat 23 Feb 2013.

Arethel Norovir
 player, 3 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 01:33
Re: Through the Drakwald

This message was deleted by the player at 01:34, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Ariarnhod Andraste
 player, 5 posts
 Kithband Warrior
 9/9
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 01:41
Re: Through the Drakwald
45 - Initiative
Ariarnhod Andraste rolled 17 using 1d100. Per. (36)
Ariarnhod Andraste rolled 85 using 1d100. attack.


Seeing the Mutants attack the human Captain and try to charge across the bridge, Arianrhod quickly notches an arrow on her bow and takes aim at them but one of the humans milling about and running hits her arm sending the arrow flying well above them harmlessly.
Arethel Norovir
 player, 4 posts
 Kithband Warrior
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 01:42
Re: Through the Drakwald
In reply to Game Master (msg # 13):

OOC:
Perception (Int) = 38
20:40, Today: Arethel Norovir rolled 48 using 1d10+40. Initiative.

I'm afraid you'll have to tell me how to proceed, as I am not sure how to pass the perception test or what initiative actually means...

Game Master
 GM, 22 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 02:12
Re: Through the Drakwald
OOC: The way things are going, Arethel, it looks like everyone is going to be taking a free shot at the mutants and combat will end extraordinarily quickly XD

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 02:37, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Ariarnhod Andraste
 player, 6 posts
 Kithband Warrior
 9/9
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 02:21
Re: Through the Drakwald
OOC: only if we can hit...

This message was last edited by the player at 02:39, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Arethel Norovir
 player, 5 posts
 Kithband Warrior
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 04:38
Re: Through the Drakwald
In reply to Game Master (msg # 17):

OOC:
What I meant was, I'm not sure what that translates to in terms of my writing.  Did I pass Perception? If so, what does Initiative mean, and how can I determine whether or not I would hit one of them?

Ariarnhod Andraste
 player, 7 posts
 Kithband Warrior
 9/9
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 04:58
Re: Through the Drakwald
Do you have the preception skill? Y/N
Is your Int higher then your roll? Y/N
Roll a 1D10 add it to your AG score, this is your Initiative. It determines the order of combat, the higher the number the earlier you fight in the sequence I.E. you are 48 I am 45, so you attack before I do.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:38, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Gunnar Thornbeard
 player, 5 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 06:34
Re: Through the Drakwald
Somehow over the crowd noises Gunnar detects the chaotic mewling of the charging mutants and snatches up his pickaxe to prepare a proper greeting for them.

"Grimnir's Balls! Mutants!"

01:29, Today: Gunnar Thornbeard rolled 27 using 1d10+21. Initiative.
01:28, Today: Gunnar Thornbeard rolled 26 using 1d100. Perception (37).

Durin
 player, 5 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 06:52
Re: Through the Drakwald
Durin sees the bottle smash and the wine fall wasted to the ground and looks around but cannot make out the source of the disruption due to the panicked crowd surrounding him.  "Now who would waste a perfectly good bottle of wine?!?" he thinks to himself.

23:49, Today: Durin rolled 80 using 1d100. Perception (Int/2, TN 18).
23:52, Today: Durin rolled 21 using 1d10+12. Initiative.