Rice Run.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 6225 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 21 Apr 2019
at 18:58
Rice Run
Barley, wheat, flax, and rye grow in the vicinity of Northport, but the children of Sahud crave another grain.

South of Northport, in the barony of Veroigne, that precious crop is cultivated. To that land you travel, with catfolk teamsters and ox drawn wagons.
Chye Isuel
 player, 1458 posts
 Osu! Ora Chye Iseul!
 Dragon descended, Youxia
Mon 22 Apr 2019
at 02:29
Rice Run
22:24, Today: Chye Isuel rolled 8 using 3d6.  lute ~ 15.
22:23, Today: Chye Isuel rolled 8 using 3d6.  singing ~ 16.

Chye strikes up a tune on his lute, and begins to sing a song called:

"Song of the Wagons!
The wagons rumble and roll,
The horses whinny and neigh,
The conscripts each have bows and arrows at their waists.
Their parents, wives and children run to see them off,
So much dust's stirred up, it hides the Xianyang bridge.
They pull clothes, stamp their feet and, weeping, bar the way,
The weeping voices rise straight up and strike the clouds.
A passer-by at the roadside asks a conscript why,
The conscript answers only that drafting happens often.
"At fifteen, many were sent north to guard the river,
Even at forty, they had to till fields in the west.
When we went away, the elders bound our heads,
Returning with heads white, we're sent back off to the frontier.
At the border posts, shed blood becomes a sea,
The martial emperor's dream of expansion has no end.
Have you not seen the two hundred districts east of the mountains,
Where thorns and brambles grow in countless villages and hamlets?
Although there are strong women to grasp the hoe and the plough,
They grow some crops, but there's no order in the fields.
What's more, we soldiers of Qin withstand the bitterest fighting,
We're always driven onwards just like dogs and chickens.
Although an elder can ask me this,
How can a soldier dare to complain?
Even in this winter time,
Soldiers from west of the pass keep moving.
The magistrate is eager for taxes,
But how can we afford to pay?
We know now having boys is bad,
While having girls is for the best;
Our girls can still be married to the neighbours,
Our sons are merely buried amid the grass.
Have you not seen on the border of Qinghai,
The ancient bleached bones no man's gathered in?
The new ghosts are angered by injustice, the old ghosts weep,
Moistening rain falls from dark heaven, amid their voices..."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:56, Mon 22 Apr 2019.

Miko
 NPC, 20 posts
 Catfolk
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 15:14
Rice Run
In reply to Chye Isuel (msg # 2):

"Wow, my friend, that is dark."
Narrator
 GM, 6229 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 15:18
Rice Run
In reply to Miko (msg # 3):

Your train of three wagons drawn by teams of oxen make their way from the gates of Sakemoko's compound through dockside and into the temple district before heading out the west gate.  You notice that along the road in the temple district that there are many small shrines to gods both strange and familiar. Most are gods of the empire and the southlands, but there are those of the lands to the far west from whence your ancestors came.  Iskander and Ales notice small shrines to the tripartate god, and to the gods of Shevnia.
Ales Konstantin
 player, 735 posts
 Spellsword
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 16:52
Rice Run
As they leave the village, Ales notices the shrines to the various deities. When he sees the shrines to the Shevnian God's and goddesses, he asks if they can stop briefly so that Ales can stop and ask his deities for safe travels.

"With all the craziness we've seen, I think it's better to err on side of caution."
Chou-Zhen Mou
 player, 857 posts
 Not quite right but
 a mage none the less
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 19:17
Rice Run
"Oxen are slow; if you can pray quickly, you can easily catch up without having to stop the wagons."

Chou-Zhen also looks at the shrines along each side of the road.  His queue lashes once.

"I wonder why these beings have worshipers and shrines, but my father does not?"
Iskander
 player, 1609 posts
 Iskander Cambriel Almonte
 Valdassyan Adventurer.
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 03:44
Rice Run
Iskander  makes the sign of the cross, at the sight of the cross-topped spires.
He murmurs what sounds like a prayer, in his native tongue.
"Du, guia el nostre cam."
Chye Isuel
 player, 1459 posts
 Osu! Ora Chye Iseul!
 Dragon descended, Youxia
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 03:49
Rice Run
In reply to Miko (msg # 3):
"Yes. Can you feel the resignedness of the conscripts, as they march, knowing their lot?
A song from home, sung by the soldiers in Chye's province, when on the road."




Tanaka Kojimaru
 player, 118 posts
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 04:03
Rice Run
"Chye-san. Your song inspires me for a poem, I have been thinking on... Perhaps I will write it down, when we stop, to make camp." OOC: How long is this trip, projected to take?
Chye Isuel
 player, 1460 posts
 Osu! Ora Chye Iseul!
 Dragon descended, Youxia
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 04:09
Rice Run
"Chye like rice, rice like Chye. Chye think rice, from upon high!
When Chye die, do not sigh. Just don't give Chye's rice, to other guy! ...Ha Ha Ha"

Chye improvs a ditty on his instrument, and jokes, contrasting the darkness of his first tune.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:23, Wed 24 Apr 2019.

Iskander
 player, 1610 posts
 Iskander Cambriel Almonte
 Valdassyan Adventurer.
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 04:20
Rice Run
Iskander interjects:
"cantat com un veritable glutton! Hah!"

This message was last edited by the player at 07:07, Wed 24 Apr 2019.

Tanaka Kojimaru
 player, 119 posts
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 07:02
Rice Run
02:59, Today: Tanaka Kojimaru rolled 11 using 3d6.  poetry 14.
Tanaka recites a poem:
"I've heard them say that Chang'an seems like in a game of chess,
A hundred years of world events have caused unbearable pain.
The palaces of the noblemen all have their new masters,
Civil and military dress and caps are not like those before.
Straight north over mountain passes, gongs and drums ring out,
Conquering the west, carts and horses, feather-hurried dispatches.
The fish and dragons are still and silent, the autumn river cold,
A peaceful life in my homeland always in my thoughts."

Ales Konstantin
 player, 737 posts
 Spellsword
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 11:07
Rice Run
In reply to Chou-Zhen Mou (msg # 6):

Ales heads quickly to the shrines devoted to the Shevnian shrines devoted to charity, magic, and combat. He drops two silver coins in each of the shrines' collection boxes and prays to the deities.
Before he heads out, he meditates to see if there is any messages from his patron deities.


(Ooc: 07:06, Today: Ales Konstantin rolled 7 using 3d6.  Meditation 12, to be receptive to messages from patron deities.)
Narrator
 GM, 6242 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 26 Apr 2019
at 19:51
Rice Run
In reply to Ales Konstantin (msg # 13):

There may be shapes in the rain... it is not rain8ng yet, and the sky is cloudy.


The head out of the temple gate onto the road. In the distance, just out of bowshot of the walls, are a number of semi-temporaray buildings, most with smallish gardens and not a small number of goats.

Beyond, freshly tilled fields with a scattering of small stone houses extend into the distant treeline. The peasants working these fields are rather drab Aralaise peasants, but not as shabby looking as those living near the huts and shanties. A number of beggars with almsbowls sit near the road, several of them showing signs of injury, like missing limbs or eyes.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:57, Fri 26 Apr 2019.