Near Al Menir.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 6245 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 26 Apr 2019
at 20:03
Near Al Menir
Carrying on here.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 217 posts
Sat 27 Apr 2019
at 17:21
Near Al Menir
Haveron makes a point of looking around to get a feeling for how the rest of the caravan seems to be handling themselves.  Based on what he was hearing, there was reason for concern.
Gareth
 player, 408 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 27 Apr 2019
at 23:43
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 2):

Gareth moves on after his discussion, unsure of what is upsetting some of the folk.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 42 posts
 Agent about town
Tue 30 Apr 2019
at 17:35
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 2):

"I have been telling people that Berry's hound was merely a conjured illusion, but I don't speak the language, and there are already tales about Var's abrupt departure.  The workers don't much trust the lizard priest, but they remember what he had said about our fire mage, because he is so distinctive. We would do well to keep a low profile from this point, and to leave town as quickly as possible. "
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 218 posts
Tue 30 Apr 2019
at 20:33
Near Al Menir
Haveron purses his lips in response to what Amelia tells him, and then pauses for a moment to think.  Then, in response he answers "I should speak with Hasim.  He will know the mood of the caravan guards better than us, and he speaks their language.  Given the recent attack, and the way the events unfolded, we need to smooth over their worry.  Otherwise, we may no longer be welcome."

OOC Can be done on screen or off screen, but Haveron feels that something needs to be done, and he's the man for it.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:33, Tue 30 Apr 2019.

Narrator
 GM, 6263 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 1 May 2019
at 13:04
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 5):

You can try a round of diplomacy.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 19:26, Wed 01 May 2019.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 219 posts
Wed 1 May 2019
at 15:00
Near Al Menir
Haveron will leave the group and approach Hasim, to try and smooth things over.  He will gesture for Amelia to come with him, as she seems to be more skilled with people than he is.

"Hasim, it seems there has been some unrest among the caravan about some recent events.  Could you tell me what the concerns are, so that I may attempt to address them or allay your reservations?  Amelia here has some good observations that may help with any points of contention that may come up...."
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 43 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 1 May 2019
at 19:32
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 7):

Amelia addresses Hasim"I understand there have been some concerns about the woman who creates illusions of hounds. That is all that they are. Her assistant is a bit dramatic, and has made use of flash grenades  to conceal his departures from conversations he did not want to continue."
Hasim ab Quadeer
 NPC, 24 posts
 Caravan guard
Wed 1 May 2019
at 19:33
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 8):

"Ha! I could use some of those myself.There are many conversations I would happily vacate."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 220 posts
Fri 3 May 2019
at 18:33
Near Al Menir
Haveron will continue.

"I do not expect the bandits will bother us again.  Would you please find me if you hear of any concerns among your guards or other caravan members?  I have heard rumors and seen some looks that may indicate disapproval, but I cannot be certain my observations are accurate.  You will know better than I if any of your people have reservations.

Thank you for your time, Hasim."


OOC Not sure if Hasim wants to respond or not, but when he is done Haveron will take his leave and return to the group of adventurers.  Ready to move on unless the Gareth issue decides to boil over (...heh...heh...).
Gareth
 player, 411 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 5 May 2019
at 09:46
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 10):

Gareth has no intention of deliberately inflaming the issue. Of course, of some concern is that he never did...he is just who he is! But he is well and truly ready to move on. What problem??
Hasim ab Quadeer
 NPC, 25 posts
 Caravan guard
Sun 5 May 2019
at 20:10
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 10):

"I will certainly listen to my people's concerns."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 221 posts
Sun 5 May 2019
at 20:37
Near Al Menir
Haveron will return to the group after his discussion with Hasim.

"Hasim didn't outline any specific concerns, but Amelia also offered some explanations for the behavior they have seen as well.  I hope that we smoothed over any concerns for now.  I think we should continue on like nothing happened."

OOC Ready to move on with caravaning.  That knucklehead E... Gareth has wasted enough of our time now.  :D

Berry
 player, 116 posts
 Mage
Mon 6 May 2019
at 02:04
Near Al Menir
Berry will let the more silver tongued members of her party handle smoothing ruffled feathers.

OOC: Almost missed the new thread, derp. ;P
Gareth
 player, 412 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 6 May 2019
at 02:19
Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 14):

[OOC: That is what Gareths plan is. I am just using his lack of social skills as a very suitable excuse!]
Shroud
 player, 34 posts
Wed 8 May 2019
at 22:18
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 15):

Your infrequently seen scout makes an appearance.
" No sign of any more archers up ahead, Aldubu thinks they may have retreated."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 222 posts
Thu 9 May 2019
at 00:31
Near Al Menir
Haveron will respond "Excellent!" and then gesture towards the caravan.  "Let's take up our customary positions and wave Hamid onward."
Narrator
 GM, 6297 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 9 May 2019
at 19:51
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 17):

The way ahead is eerily quiet, but you make good time as you ascend further through the pass. At sunset you reach a spot that appears to have been used as a camp in the past, as it has a spring and stone rings of many old campfires. You can see the way down out of the mountains.

To the southwest you can see lights and smoke on the horizon, a narrow path heads up to the north, and disappears over the ridge.
Gareth
 player, 413 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 9 May 2019
at 20:23
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 18):

"Looks like we dealt with the bandits. I hope. But we will need full watches of course."
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 44 posts
 Agent about town
Thu 9 May 2019
at 23:32
Near Al Menir
Amelia looks at Haveron, and then at the rest of the group.  "I'm going to try and find a game of cards.  One of the cooks told me they were going to have one tonight.  I'll be back for the second watch."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 223 posts
Thu 9 May 2019
at 23:33
Near Al Menir
Haveron shrugs, and then in a slightly defeated sort of tone states "I guess I'll take the first watch then.  When she gets the itch, there's no stopping her."
Gareth
 player, 414 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 10 May 2019
at 00:55
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 21):

"Third watch then."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 01:35, Fri 10 May 2019.

Narrator
 GM, 6306 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 10 May 2019
at 01:12
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 22):

The caravan makes camp for the night.
Gorgath, Adept Lisstheniss, Berry, Sorsha and Mischa are unaccounted for the watches, and there had best be two... Recommended that a fighter type stays with Gareth, and Sorsha or Berry team up with Haveron or Amelia. Shroud volunteers for third watch.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 139 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 10 May 2019
at 03:01
Near Al Menir
I will be on any that need me...
Berry
 player, 117 posts
 Mage
Sat 11 May 2019
at 03:41
Near Al Menir
Berry will begrudgingly volunteer to get up early with Gareth at third watch.
Sorsha
 player, 819 posts
Sat 11 May 2019
at 18:36
Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 25):

Sorsha and Mischa team up with Amelia for the middle watch.

Gorgath take the third watch to keep an eye on the two spellcasters.
Narrator
 GM, 6319 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 11 May 2019
at 18:53
Near Al Menir
In reply to Sorsha (msg # 26):

Strangely, the night passes without incident, aside from some of the livestock being spooked by something unseen.
Gareth
 player, 415 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 12 May 2019
at 10:22
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 27):

If the animals were spooked during Gareths watch, he will try to sort out why. Otherwise, he will probably just try to chat up Berry...
Berry
 player, 118 posts
 Mage
Sun 12 May 2019
at 16:46
Near Al Menir
Berry denies all knowledge of why the livestock could be spooked and thinks they should probably just ignore it.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 224 posts
Sun 12 May 2019
at 17:40
Near Al Menir
Once the morning arrives, Haveron will help with the normal morning meal and whatever chores he typically handles.  If necessary he'll assist with the caravan organization as well.

OOC Side note for the other players - Haveron has Leadership 14, and based on the character build he should be using it.  Feel free to react as your character would, but I am having Haveron start to exert more leadership over the group and over the caravan in general.
Aldubu Alsaghir
 Valdassyan Ranger, 8 posts
Mon 13 May 2019
at 18:52
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 30):

The scout returns from a predawn expedition
"There was a large great cat near us last night. It is by the grace of the All Protecting that we were not attacked."
Gareth
 player, 416 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 13 May 2019
at 20:33
Near Al Menir
In reply to Aldubu Alsaghir (msg # 31):

"That explains the uneasy animals. Lets get moving..."

Gareth is happy to accept Haverons leadership.
Narrator
 GM, 6332 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 14 May 2019
at 18:33
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 32):

Camp breaks, and you begin to head down toward the south west.




Will rolls all, Gorgath with his magic resistance bonus.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 140 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 14 May 2019
at 19:08
Near Al Menir
The Adept is feeling unsettled... something is affecting him...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 225 posts
Tue 14 May 2019
at 19:13
Near Al Menir
Haveron senses something...  Unusual.  While he can't put his finger on it, there is a sense of foreboding in the air.  He looks over at Amelia, who is traveling with him at the moment, and raises an eyebrow.  She nods almost imperceptibly.
Gorgath
 player, 443 posts
 HP 20/20 FP 11/13
Tue 14 May 2019
at 22:46
Near Al Menir
Gorgath remains blissfully unaware of anything as he trudges forward.
Gareth
 player, 417 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 15 May 2019
at 02:45
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gorgath (msg # 36):

Gareth barely notices anything...
Narrator
 GM, 6340 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 15 May 2019
at 20:57
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 37):

Gareth, Amelia, and Haveron are able to survey their surroundings with ease. The others are concerned with the way forward to Al Menir.
Gareth
 player, 418 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 15 May 2019
at 21:03
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 38):

Anything to note about surroundings?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 226 posts
Wed 15 May 2019
at 21:06
Near Al Menir
Given the recent developments, Haveron can't be sure that a potential threat might come from within the caravan, as opposed to from without.  He will quietly murmur to Amelia "Something is going on.  I don't know what yet.  Fan out a bit, but stay within sight.  I suggest by the big lizard man, he seems like one of the more trustworthy ones in the caravan.  Be ready for anything.  And keep your eyes open."

OOC Haveron knows something is up, but not who or what.  He's working under the assumption that he and Amelia are the only two aware of a problem.

I'm assuming he would know something because we needed to make an active will roll, rather than something passive that you'd do in the background.

Narrator
 GM, 6344 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 15 May 2019
at 21:31
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 40):

As the caravan moves out, things seem fairly normal.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 45 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 15 May 2019
at 22:08
Near Al Menir
Amelia walks over to Adept Yisslitheniss and walks along with him as the caravan gets under way.  "I haven't spent much time with you, yet, Adept.  Tell me something about yourself.  I know next to nothing about your race, or you personally."
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 141 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 15 May 2019
at 23:18
Near Al Menir
My race isss old....we have been here for eons. I am merely a learner in my religion, I can heal  and know a few other spells... and like all (lizard man) monks, I can defend myself with the sword.
Narrator
 GM, 6349 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 16 May 2019
at 18:59
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 42):

The travel down into the foothills  is slow, and several of the pack animals have been hitched behind the carts in order to slow downward momentum.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 227 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 19:34
Near Al Menir
Haveron will place himself in the center of the activity, helping out with directions and suggestions as they proceed down the incline.
Berry
 player, 119 posts
 Mage
Thu 16 May 2019
at 20:09
Near Al Menir
Berry is mostly glad to be almost to the city and her pay.
16:08, Today: Berry rolled 12 using 3d6.  Berry will (14) roll. By 2
Mustaffa Razak
 NPC, 1 post
 Caravan teamster
Thu 16 May 2019
at 20:11
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 45):

Haveron helps the packmaster guide the teams down the incline.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 228 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 20:29
Near Al Menir
Haveron will compliment the pack master "Excellent work Mustaffa, carry on." and then walk by Amelia on his way to the path.  "Care to talk for a few minutes Amelia?"

OOC If Haveron recognizes he has an aversion to the path, then that tells him something is most definitely up.  He's going to investigate it directly.
Gareth
 player, 419 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 16 May 2019
at 21:06
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 48):

Gareth is concerned about the eastward path that Haveron seems to have noticed. He approaches it cautiously...creating a fireball as he does so.
Narrator
 GM, 6354 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 17 May 2019
at 01:33
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 49):

As usual Gareth plays with fire.
Gareth
 player, 420 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 19 May 2019
at 21:44
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 50):

"Hey, did anyone else notice this other path over here?" Gareth asks as he approaches the path, fireball in hand.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 229 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 00:19
Near Al Menir
Haveron approaches the path about the same time that Gareth does.
"We did, but something odd seems to be going on.  No one else seems to have noticed it, and I felt something of an aversion to it myself.  I feel something or someone is actively trying to manipulate us away from this path."
Gareth
 player, 421 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 20 May 2019
at 00:53
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 52):

"Oh, that is SOOO comforting..."

He throws a fireball at the most overgrown section...

"Let's see if they notice it now?"
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 46 posts
 Agent about town
Mon 20 May 2019
at 15:23
Near Al Menir
Amelia steps back, behind Haveron by a step or two.  Her mouth twists into a frown, before she comments "Perhaps you should try something more overt.  I'm not sure anyone will notice.  That might be too subtle."
Narrator
 GM, 6369 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 20 May 2019
at 16:29
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 54):

Some of the chappatal bursts into flames.





Everyone who was there at the start of this expedition  make an iq roll
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 142 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Mon 20 May 2019
at 18:02
Near Al Menir
The Adept turns and looks ...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 230 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 19:20
Near Al Menir
Haveron stands where he is and observes the surroundings carefully for reaction to Gareth's fireball.  He does say to Gareth in an offhand way "That was unnecessary Gareth.  Amelia had a bit of sarcasm to her, but she's right.  You risk stating much larger fires with this sort of reckless behavior.  It's simply unwise."
Gareth
 player, 422 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 20 May 2019
at 21:03
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 55):

"More Overt?"

He pauses and thinks for a bit.

"Do you think a rain of fire might be better? Oh, sarcasm. I seem to have missed that.

But we wanted others to notice...
"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 231 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 21:17
Near Al Menir
Haveron nods, and then answers Gareth in a bit of a sterner tone.  "Yes, we wanted people to notice.  Your action worked splendidly for that.  However, I have a problem with your application.

Did you think of the possible side effects?  How would you benefit the caravan if a large grass fire were to start?  We could end up at risk, breathing in the smoke, or even abandon our route because of the fire.  And then, none of us would get paid.  We could even end up owing the caravan for damages.

You are obviously talented, and very intelligent.  However, I question your judgement.  Please rein in your enthusiasm a bit, and try to make more judicious use of your gifts.  I don't have a problem with the appropriate use of your gifts.  However, this seems risky and ill-advised.

Also, please understand this is not a personal attack.  You were thinking about the problem in the moment, in the best interest of the bigger group.  However, as a leadership figure, I need to consider the bigger picture.  The owners of the caravan might not appreciate you throwing around fireballs so casually.  I'm trying to look out for your reputation here, before they decide you're not welcome.

Now, let's see what develops.  You have certainly drawn attention to something we were not meant to find.  I expect someone will have a problem with that, whether it's today or in the near future"


OOC I get you're probably playing your disadvantages accurately.  Well done.  Haveron has to do the same.  :)

This message was last edited by the player at 21:18, Mon 20 May 2019.

Amelia Montaigne
 player, 47 posts
 Agent about town
Mon 20 May 2019
at 21:20
Near Al Menir
"All brains and fire with not a whit of good sense..." Amelia mumbles to herself, although it's unfortunately loud enough for the average person to just catch.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:08, Fri 24 May 2019.

Gareth
 player, 423 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 20 May 2019
at 22:28
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 59):

Gareth pauses and looks around at the caravan as well as at the fire.

"Oh, do you think it will get that large? I thought the grass and bushes looked too green for that. But if you say so..."

[OOC: Yeah, between Pyromania, Callous and Impulsive...someone else better think of others because he probably won't. If he does, the Phantom voices will probably see to that...he was always designed to be a loose cannon, and while he needs strong leadership, he also needs leadership he respects, which will be difficult.]
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 232 posts
Mon 20 May 2019
at 22:46
Near Al Menir
Haveron listens to Gareth, and then takes a moment to survey the vegetation.  It certainly didn't look like it was dry and prone to going up in a large scale grass fire.

"You're right on that point, Gareth.  It doesn't look like we're going to have a large scale fire today.  The wind isn't blowing, and the grasses don't look like this area has experienced a drought.  The conditions aren't right.

That said, it's not about me or my opinion.  It's about the caravan and their leadership.  They have a lot of goods on flammable wagons.  Horses can get spooked by fire.  Plus, they don't know when you'll throw the next fireball.  In their eyes you can't be trusted.  There's a lot more to it than just a few blades of grass.  I think you'll agree if you take a minute and think it through."



OOC  No doubt.  I expected about as much.  Still, Haveron will try to make him part of the team instead of the designated problem child.  His long term planning involves this sort of thing.  :)
Gareth
 player, 424 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 21 May 2019
at 00:42
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 62):

"Oh, Ok then. I thought a generous display of power would put them at ease because they are in good hands. Of course they will not be targeted."

[OOC: Yeah after being in hibernation for 1,000 years, long term planning has kind of fallen by the wayside. So would some cultural ways of doing things...]
Berry
 player, 120 posts
 Mage
Tue 21 May 2019
at 03:45
Near Al Menir
Practice is good and all, but you actually could start a serious fire. Have you considered firing up into the sky? Berry attempts to give Gareth helpful advice that will alleviate Haveron's concerns. She's too lazy to follow it, but it is a good plan in theory.

OOC: 23:42, Today: Berry rolled 12 using 3d6.  Berry IQ (14) roll. Success by 2
Mustaffa Razak
 NPC, 2 posts
 Caravan teamster
Fri 24 May 2019
at 14:38
Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 64):

The head teamster tries to calm down  the mules that the fire is agitating, and makes a sign against evil.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 48 posts
 Agent about town
Fri 24 May 2019
at 15:22
Near Al Menir
Amelia waits for a moment.  Then she waits for another moment.  Haveron is silent, watching the surroundings in an expectant way, as if he's expecting hostiles to appear at any second.  Finally, she acts.  Stepping forward, she gently takes Gareth by the shoulder, and points him at the caravan.

"Look, fire man.  The horses are all spooked.  Maybe you didn't notice because you were watching the fire.  Maybe you were on the look out for bad guys.  I don't know. What matters is how the rest of the caravan is reacting.  They don't much appreciate your display of fire

Also, do you see that man warding himself against evil?  That's probably you.  He most likely sees you as a danger to him and the rest of the caravan.  Or maybe it's the explosion.  He could be afraid of magic for all we know.  What matters is that he's as spooked as the horses are.  Your display of power could be having the opposite effect from what you intended.

Haveron is being polite by leaving things be.  I get it, he wants to keep things smooth, and he's already said enough.  Still, someone has to explain it so you understand better.  It's not personal, I just don't want someone trying to stab you in the middle of the night.  That doesn't help anyone."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:07, Fri 24 May 2019.

Gareth
 player, 425 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 26 May 2019
at 11:16
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 66):

He looks over at the caravan.

"I see. I guess they are more picky about the protection they want than I thought. Though how do you know there is not some evil in the bushes I have disturbed that he is aware of?"

He looks back to the area around the fire...is the fire dying out as expected?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 233 posts
Sun 26 May 2019
at 17:35
Near Al Menir
Haveron may be looking away, but apparently he was tracking the conversation.  turning to face his fellow traveler, he chastises Gareth.  "So, you claim there might have been evil in the bushes.  How are you passing this kind of judgement?  We have no evidence anything existed there, except for maybe a couple of bunnies and some bugs.  If you have some proof of that assertion, I would welcome it.  Then we could explain your behavior to the caravan, and put them at ease.

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, we can only assume that you blew up the bush for your own reasons.  I don't know whether it's to show off, or if you have something destructive in your nature.  Maybe you want to eat rabbit meat for dinner.  To be honest, I am not so sure you thought about it before doing it, Gareth.  I have yet to hear a real reason for the behavior.

Look at the bigger picture here.  Your justification carries no merit that I have seen.  Unless we can come up with some evidence to support your claim, how do I explain this behavior to the people managing the caravan?"


OOC Yep, cornering you a bit there Gareth.  Not at all personal, I think you're doing a good job playing Gareth consistently.  It's character driven from Haveron's side of things.  And, it makes for good RP all the way around. I'm trying to keep it within the context appropriate to the conversation. 
Gareth
 player, 426 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 26 May 2019
at 21:10
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 68):

"Ok, now I am going to call bullshit. You mentioned something about the bushes and the paths that made you very uneasy. You were whispering and pointing at the bushes before there was any fire there. Now you want to pin everything bad that happened on me, because I did something about it, and claim it was for my personal reasons, because the caravan is made uneasy by the fire. But you were being indecisive, and I took action. You are just looking for a scapegoat now! If something had come out, and an ambush disturbed, you would be thanking me for triggering it before their ideal time. Sounds to me you are just too spineless to act on your own convictions in the face of uncertainty. Grow a backbone...our job is to get them to their destination safely, not mollycoddle them to give a false sense of security where in fact there may have been a danger there."

He will storm off to the head of the caravan.

[OOC: Yeah, likewise. See message #52 if you as the player forget the reason he did it!]
Berry
 player, 121 posts
 Mage
Mon 27 May 2019
at 00:22
Near Al Menir
"Let's all just focus on the fact that we are about to get paid!" Berry says "No need to fight amongst ourselves."
Narrator
 GM, 6411 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 29 May 2019
at 18:09
Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 70):

You do notice that the majority of the caravan folk are oblivious to the fire, as if they can't quite look in that direction. A few do notice it, and those are the suspicious ones.
Gareth
 player, 427 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 30 May 2019
at 03:05
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 71):

So if they cannot notice the fire, what are they upset about? Is there something else?

Gareth will try to work it out...what to roll? IQ? Perception?
Narrator
 GM, 6419 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 30 May 2019
at 23:05
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 72):

With per 14 a crit is 3-4.

You notice which of the caravan staff notice the fire, which of them are then looking at you, and which seem confused or oblivious. The ones who did see the fire, and your actions that prompted it.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 234 posts
Thu 30 May 2019
at 23:22
Near Al Menir
As Haveron looks about, he'll eventually notice that much of the caravan did not observe the path.  "Amelia, would you mind going back to the caravan?  I'd like you to ask Hamid to join us here.  Perhaps he can help us unravel this, I expect he makes this trip regularly, so he ought to have some idea what is going on."
Hasim ab Quadeer
 NPC, 25 posts
 Caravan guard
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 23:20
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 74):

"What seems to be the issue beyond your firebug?"

This message was last updated by the player at 23:20, Fri 07 June 2019.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 236 posts
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 00:17
Near Al Menir
Haveron pauses for a moment, then addresses Amelia first.  "Thank you."

He then continues talking with Hamid.  "This area has been enchanted in some way.  We were not supposed to notice it.  There is an active aversion to noticing this path.  Several of us detected the condition.  Gareth over-reacted, but he was disturbed by the path, as I was.

Tell me, what is going on here?  You have not expressed surprise at this being here, so it seems like you may have been aware of it's presence.  Many others cannot seem to look at it.  Please, tell us what you know about this path in good faith. "

Hasim ab Quadeer
 NPC, 26 posts
 Caravan guard
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 23:25
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 76):

"Such things are the product of sorcery, and best avoided by sensible folk. There are tales of an old enchantment that way, the hillfolk make signs of evil against it, and my people do likewise."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 237 posts
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 19:35
Near Al Menir
Haveron responds "I believe it should be investigated. Let me take some of my men up to see what has occurred up here.  I am not the type of man who leaves dangerous things like this to chance, especially when it will soon be behind me."
Hasim ab Quadeer
 NPC, 27 posts
 Caravan guard
Mon 10 Jun 2019
at 23:27
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 78):

"We have been taking this route for years with nothing untoward happening except for the mountain folk trying to rob us, and that one year when there was an overabundance of snakes. Al Menir is nearly in sight, we have perhaps two days left. You will be cashiered out, and made free to pursue such unsavory locations."
Gareth
 player, 429 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 03:02
Near Al Menir
In reply to Hasim ab Quadeer (msg # 79):

"Perhaps we should come back to it, when there are not bystanders who will be scared by it. But I would just like to point out you were wrong...they made the signs to protect themselves against whatever is causing the repulsion, not against me. Just thought it needed saying..."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 238 posts
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 14:25
Near Al Menir
"Very good then.  We will come back to this location.  I do not agree with your interpretation Gareth, but I also cannot promise that my interpretation is correct either.  It does not matter now.  We can proceed."
Gareth
 player, 430 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 20:21
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 81):

"My interpretation? Did you not hear the man? Selective deafness? He just said 'There are tales of an old enchantment that way, the hillfolk make signs of evil against it, and my people do likewise.'"
Narrator
 GM, 6456 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 11 Jun 2019
at 21:43
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 81):

The caravan continue  downward. It takes the better part of the day to get down into the foothills, where camp is made.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 239 posts
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 14:54
Near Al Menir
Haveron takes an active hand in setting up camp, and then takes a moment to stop by and speak to Gareth.

"You may have been right, I may have been wrong.  Based on how things played out, I followed my interpretation in the moment.  If I was in error, please accept my apology.  However, I still ask that you try to curb your stronger reactions.  Regardless of who was right, igniting a bush was still reckless."

Haveron will wait for a response, and then continue about his business. Watches need to be set up, and unless anyone has a complaint, he will organize them to match the previous night.
Gareth
 player, 431 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 12 Jun 2019
at 20:28
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 84):

"Apology accepted. Sorry for setting fire...I just wanted to be sure that there was not an ambush there. I have had a very bad experience from a similar ambush one...took me 1000 years to get over it. Sorry for the over reaction."
Narrator
 GM, 6462 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 16:03
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 85):

The night pases without incident. In the morning, the caravan pushes forward on it fia approach to the city.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 240 posts
Thu 13 Jun 2019
at 18:17
Near Al Menir
Haveron takes up position towards the front of the caravan, so he can see ahead of them as they progress.

Amelia seemed a bit rough when she got up.  Haveron thought she might have had a long night playing cards.  Thus, he sent her to find a ride somewhere among the horses and wagons for the morning.
Var
 NPC, 30 posts
 Goblin servant
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 01:54
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 87):

"Hey Berry, you wouldn't believe how much I was able to charge for some smoke nagateppo!"
Gareth
 player, 432 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 06:30
Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 88):

Gareth just moves on quietly.
Narrator
 GM, 6489 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 22:52
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 89):

You trudge on through the foothills, and it looks like you will be making camp one last time before entering the city.
As you continue, Gorgath notices that a distant shepherdess with her flock is an ogress herding dire sheep...
Berry
 player, 122 posts
 Mage
Fri 21 Jun 2019
at 23:50
Near Al Menir
"Probably not Var, I know you. But still a lot. This is why drugs are bad. For the users." she giggles at that.
Gareth
 player, 433 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 06:31
Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 91):

Gareth just notices the awesome size of the lamb chops nearby as he makes camp.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 145 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sat 22 Jun 2019
at 22:28
Near Al Menir
The Adept notes the awesome size of the shepherdess guarding them... and as much as a good meal of lamb would be, controls himself.  Mayhap Gorgath can buy ussssiss an animal for dinner?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 241 posts
Mon 24 Jun 2019
at 18:00
Near Al Menir
Haveron approaches the master of the caravan.  "Mutton would be quite wonderful for dinner.  Do you have any regular contact with the shepherdess there?  If not, I'm willing to be that Amelia could probably negotiate a sheep or two for us to eat for dinner.  What say you?"

OOC Don't remember if we should be talking to Hamid (weapon master) or someone else.  The hierarchy of the caravan has escaped me for some reason.
Mubark Al Fahid
 NPC, 9 posts
 Caravan leader
Wed 26 Jun 2019
at 17:07
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 94):

"That is an excellent idea. Perhaps the ogre could be persuaded?"
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 49 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 26 Jun 2019
at 19:10
Near Al Menir
Amelia purses her lips a bit at the suggestion of her boss, but nonetheless seems to take the suggestion in stride.  "I can see if she can be persuaded for approrpiate coin.  We would like one for our group.  How about for the caravan in general.  I don't know offhand if there are any dietary restrictions among your population."

OOC In the real world, people with similar names frequently have some dietary restrictions.  Seemed appropriate to ask in game, although the characters would potentially know.
Mubark Al Fahid
 NPC, 10 posts
 Caravan leader
Wed 26 Jun 2019
at 23:57
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 96):

"Sheep of any sort are Halal if slaughtered and prepared properly."
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 50 posts
 Agent about town
Thu 27 Jun 2019
at 19:02
Near Al Menir
"Very well, Mubark." she replies, before heading off to haggle over some sheep.

"Hail Ogress.  The caravan I am part of would like to purchase 2 of your sheep for our evening meal.  Would you have any that you can share with us?"
Shepherdess
 NPC, 1 post
 An ogress with her
 Flock
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 16:33
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 98):


The large woman leans down to hear you better, and seems slightly confused. She is three yards tall, and her sheep are st shoulder height to you.
"?Que Diciste?"

You recognize this language as Valdassyan.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 51 posts
 Agent about town
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 16:58
Near Al Menir
Amelia will put up her hand in a gesture meant to signify "wait", then return to Mubark.  "Do we have anyone that speaks Valdassyan?  I do not."

If a translator can be arranged, Amelia will return to the sheperdess and re-ask her question.  "Hail Ogress.  The caravan I am part of would like to purchase 2 of your sheep for our evening meal.  Would you have any that you can share with us?"
Mubark Al Fahid
 NPC, 11 posts
 Caravan leader
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 21:30
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 100):

"Quieremos comprar unas de sus ovejas finas, para comer. ?Si  vos quiereis venderlos a nos, cual precio pienseis a ser justo?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:31, Fri 28 June 2019.

Shepherdess
 NPC, 2 posts
 An ogress with her
 Flock
Fri 28 Jun 2019
at 21:34
Near Al Menir
In reply to Mubark Al Fahid (msg # 101):

"!A vender a mis hijos! No quiero venderlos... pero es posible que voy a permitarle a pasar, por una suficiencia de cosas de valor. Yo Quiero una vestida azul porque quiero aperacer hermosa for ese tipo quien es con usted... Como se llama ese hombre guapo?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:35, Fri 28 June 2019.

Mubark Al Fahid
 NPC, 12 posts
 Caravan leader
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 18:40
Near Al Menir
In reply to Shepherdess (msg # 102):

"El se llama Gorgath.  She says she would never sell one of her children, unless it was to buy a blue dress to attract the attention of the, uh good looking ogre over yonder."
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 52 posts
 Agent about town
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 18:53
Near Al Menir
In response to what he says, Amelia responds "Well, Mubark, do you happen to have a seamstress with the caravan?  Perhaps we can make her one?  I don't know that we have the skill among our number.  Gareth can singe it if she wants a black dress.  Sounds like it might not work out.  Perhaps we should return to our caravan then, if we don't have the materials necessary.  Do you think it's worth haggling more?"
Mubark Al Fahid
 NPC, 13 posts
 Caravan leader
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:04
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 104):

" One of the wagons have several bolts of cloth, I am sure I recall seeing something blue there, and a number of my employees can sew, which may take a little time, and the promise of something more than mutton."

$20 for a seamstress for the day, $72 for a bolt of blue cloth. not a bad deal for an animal worth $200.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 53 posts
 Agent about town
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:39
Near Al Menir
Amelia will think for a moment, causing a brief silence between the two of them.  Then, with something of a twinkle in her eye, she smiles and tells Mubark  "Ask her if she's willing to come down for measurements.  We ought to be able to make her look pretty for not much extra time.  I mean, to attract the eye of an eligible Ogre, that's a lifetime of joy there.  She ought to jump at the chance if we have a couple people working just for her.

One of us can help out with the flock, if she trusts us with the work.  I mean, the caravan won't be moving, and we have people skilled with horses.  The sheep should be manageable, and we can help out as needed.

How about we split the coin for the seamstress and the bolt of cloth, and ask her for 2 of the sheep since we're going to make it pretty for her.?  You think she'd do it for that?"


OOC if appropriate, I rolled fast talk or merchant, whichever you judge appropriate.
Mubark Al Fahid
 NPC, 14 posts
 Caravan leader
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:53
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 106):

"That sounds like a reasonable  exchange. if you contribute $50, then we can initiate the trade, If you wish, it can be taken from your pay."
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 54 posts
 Agent about town
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 20:03
Near Al Menir
Amelia responds to Mubark readily enough.  "That sounds reasonable.  Please, speak with the shepherdess and tell me what she finds agreeable.  Make sure you emphasize how nice we can help her look."
Gareth
 player, 435 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 08:47
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 108):

"Really? This is starting to sound like the most expensive meal ever...I might have lost my appetite..."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 242 posts
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 15:52
Near Al Menir
Haveron shrugs as he turns to walk back to the caravan proper.  "No one said you had to pay Gareth, but if you choose not to then you're on your own for dinner.  I expect mutton will taste far better than whatever you could come up with.  It's your decision to make.  Mubark and I decided it was worth the investment, but most seem to agree it's a good one."
Gareth
 player, 436 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 02:44
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 110):

"So how much are we expected to pay for dinner?"
Narrator
 GM, 6545 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 16:06
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 111):

These animals are larger than cows... the purchase price for one is normally something like $1200, and you can get something like 500 rations plus the enourmous shearling.
Gareth
 player, 437 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 20:04
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 112):

It is probably a good price, but Gareth makes his own food and has been very short of cash lately (Yes, I know, possibly his own fault...but that is who he is!)
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 146 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 20:20
Near Al Menir
The Adept will see that Gareth is able to eat with everyone.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 243 posts
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 15:40
Near Al Menir
Haveron returns to the caravan, confident that Mubark and Amelia can handle any remaining loose ends in the transaction.  He does approach the members of his group to take a small collection based on what they expect to pay for their animal.

OOC I'll leave the final math until the transaction is complete, but we should only be out about 5 silvers apiece, based on our number being around 10 total?
Narrator
 GM, 6550 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 20:38
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 115):

Revised totals: it is about $200 worth of dyed cloth being made into a shift dress.

The seamstresses work quickly, and the shepherdess is beaming about her new look
(She is still wearing a shearling vest, forearm and shinguards)

She definitely attracts Gorgoth's eye.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 244 posts
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 22:08
Near Al Menir
Haveron will gather 1 silver from everyone in the group (as I said, I thought I counted 10).

On the way past Gorgath, Halveron will quietly mention "The only reason we get to have mutton tonight is because you caught her eye.  I could arrange for you to not have a watch tonight, if you might want the evening off."

While the thought of Ogres and Ogresses being together was not something Halveron wanted to think about, he also wanted Gorgath to be happy.
Gorgath
 player, 444 posts
 HP 20/20 FP 11/13
Mon 8 Jul 2019
at 12:13
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 117):

The ogre absently nods, his gaze transfixed.
"Pretty."
Narrator
 GM, 6602 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 26 Jul 2019
at 17:58
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gorgath (msg # 118):

The mutton dinner goes very well, with the ogres getting uncomfortably romantic.
In the morning, Gorgath is gone.

You make your way through the coffee fields to the gates of sumptuous Al Menir.  The blue tiled walls are beautiful, the rose colored minarets and brazen domes are spectacular, and the land around it is lush, thanks to a pair of rivers flowing down from the western mountains. In the foothills the current is rapid, but here the water is still enough for fishermen or pole and sail barges to make their way to the city to trade.
The bundles of lavender and thyme, the assorted goblin metalcraft, and bolts of silk from the weaverfolk that your wagons carry will sell well here, in the trinket shops and souks.
 It has been a long trip to the city, where you can rest, re-arm, and regroup before returning to the mountains to search for the hidden citadel.
Sorsha and her cabinet maker cousin intend to explore the city.  Gorgath is gone. Gareth needs boots, his sandals destroyed by the journey.



Each of you who have been here for the trip get four CP, and learn Valdassyan at broken, those who already had it broken, now have it accented.
Gareth
 player, 439 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 27 Jul 2019
at 09:07
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 119):

Gareth will wander around to try to learn some new spells...

Can items that hold power be recharged? If so, how much?

Also, how much cash do we get?

This message was last edited by the player at 12:52, Sat 27 July 2019.

Narrator
 GM, 6604 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 27 Jul 2019
at 13:50
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 120):

OOC:
Pay for one weeks journey, ($800) minus prorated cost of living ($100) nets each of you $700 in a mix of copper and silver.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 147 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sat 27 Jul 2019
at 18:32
Near Al Menir
The Adept looks at the heap of coin and promptly goes and makes most of the coins into two gold pieces, so he can carry his money comfortably.
Gareth
 player, 441 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 27 Jul 2019
at 23:37
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 121):

Cool. What about all the mundane stuff that was not burnt to a cinder and collected?
Narrator
 GM, 6607 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 13:29
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 123):

You were limited to medium encumberance worth of gear; no one wanted to assist you. You have a scimitar, an axe, and a medallion. All of the other gear was visibly cheap. Those items need to be evaluated, by someone with connoiseiur melee weapons and by someone with hidden lore:magic items, or Analyze Magic, at a cost. I am no longer allowing weapons or armor to be power items, the amulet mifht do you though.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 245 posts
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 18:00
Near Al Menir
Haveron will gift Amelia with $50 of his take to bankroll her in a few games of chance, with the fod but stern instruction that she not lose it all.  Then he'll send her on her way.

After they have sorted out payment with the caravan, Haveron will linger for a few minutes.
Gareth
 player, 442 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 20:41
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 124):

What happened to the bunch of stuff we put on the carts? (See message #922 and #909 of previous thread.)
Narrator
 GM, 6608 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 28 Jul 2019
at 20:45
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 126):

What you were carrying: a sword, a shield, an amulet, an axe. Everything else was burnt
Gareth
 player, 443 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 06:22
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 127):

Not everyone was killed in an inferno. There were 'a few cheap weapons' (#898) which Gareth gathered up and tied together, before putting them on the caravan. The shield probably would have been put there too, but the sword, amulet and axe he may have carried, as long as they were not too heavy.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 246 posts
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 15:26
Near Al Menir
OOC Cue the lightning bolt of "stop arguing with the GM about little stuff"
Narrator
 GM, 6613 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 20:15
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 129):

Cheap spears and bows are worth between 8-12 coppers each.
Gareth
 player, 444 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 29 Jul 2019
at 21:04
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 130):

Ok. So will look for a vendor for spells.

Results of the Hidden Lore (Magic Items) rolls?
Narrator
 GM, 6617 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 30 Jul 2019
at 22:06
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 131):

The sword you have heard of, it is Sayf Alriyh, sword of the wind. The amulet appears to have some Valdassyan writing on it (the sword did too, but you had seen it on a scroll) it was known to cleave through armor. Both items, and the shield are magical, but you know nothing of the shield or the axe, nor much more about either item.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:13, Tue 30 July 2019.

Ryojin
 player, 4 posts
 Martial artist
Tue 30 Jul 2019
at 23:41
Near Al Menir
Ryojin walks around Al Menir, after spending a week out in the wild for training he returns to see what is going on and if there are any jobs.
Gareth
 player, 445 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 31 Jul 2019
at 07:19
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 132):

Gareth will ask about for a sage who might know of the shield and axe. Cash is offered for results however. He will also ask about for offers interested in buying it, in order to evaluate it.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 249 posts
Mon 5 Aug 2019
at 17:45
Near Al Menir
After a lengthy conversation off to the side of the caravan, Haveron shakes several hands and then leaves the area with a dark-skinned gentleman in tow.  He's wearing a turban, and robes common to the rest of the caravan guards.  They proceed to visit several shops in the area, before returning to the group.

When Gareth asks his question, Haveron will step forward to answer him.

"Gareth, this is Omar.  He has joined us in my employ.  I don't know that he can help us with this problem, but it was a good opportunity to introduce him to you.

As for your question, I know armor and weapons, so I can take a look at your items.  However, I am no connoisseur, so we may need to find someone more appropriate to the job.  This town should have people who know what to look for.  Given a bit of time, I'm certain we can find them and get this figured out."


Haveron pauses at this, and then turns to Omar, standing beside him.  "Omar, please fetch Amelia.  You should be familiar with her from our travel in the caravan.  Please introduce yourself and then ask her to return.  She knows her way around in a library, and may be able to find reference to these weapons even if the people of this area do not know them"

Omar nods and plods off in the direction of Amelia, with directions provided by Haveron.
Gareth
 player, 448 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 5 Aug 2019
at 20:36
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 135):

Gareth greets Omar in the fashion he has seen people greeting each other here. He also asks about selling the items, once they are identified. Perhaps even to individuals in the group...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 250 posts
Mon 5 Aug 2019
at 21:06
Near Al Menir
As gareth speaks Haveron listens closely and thoughtfully.  He nods in agreement, but does not speak at first.  Then, he responds a moment later.

"I support your choice on the matter Gareth, but improving the group improves our chances at success in the long run.  We do not know what we face, but it is in everyone's best interest to be as prepared as possible.

We should figure out what each item will do.  Until then, we cannot correctly discern the proper compensation.  I can forge weapons and armor and repair them, but I do not have an eye for the finer points of quality workmanship.  I don't know that Amelia does either, but she at least will know where to look better than me.

I believe we can wait a few minutes for Amelia, and then proceed with the investigation.

How has your luck been towards finding  us a guide in the city?  We need to know where to obtain items and provision ourselves.  Omar knows the countryside some, but he has only been to the outskirts of the city.  He will not be able to help us with the tasks we need to accomplish in Al Menir."


OOC Haveron has a couple flavors of Armory, and some Savoie Faire.  Amelia has Connoisseur for clothing, Merchant, and Savoir Faire.
Gareth
 player, 449 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 07:21
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 137):

"Oh, I agree. Nothing worse than selling a good item, only to have to kill they guy that bought it in self defence. I just recognized some of the symbols on that blade, so I realized what it would achieve. I have not tried to seek a guide, I must say.

Yes, we should evaluate what the items are before deciding what to do with them. But if they are valuable and we keep them, those that do not get them should be compensated, even if it is not immediately, for not having received such a valuable item. As we have seen, folk come and folk go, and it is not fair on others if some come, get an item out of proportion to their share, and then leave. Happy to wait for Amelia's input, though I have not actually sought a guide. Perhaps Omar would be much better suited to doing that. I tend not to make friends so well....
"
Berry
 player, 123 posts
 Mage
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 15:30
Near Al Menir
OOC: Berry would get half the 800$ due to her wealth right? And then minus cost of living for 300$?

Berry sees the group talking. She had gotten her pay then looked for stuff to buy, the wandered into them again. "I vote for just selling it and splitting the cash. Or sacrificing it to whatever holy or unholy power you do your afterlife planning with. Unless you want to use it yourself."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 15:30, Tue 06 Aug 2019.

Var
 NPC, 31 posts
 Goblin servant
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 20:47
Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 139):

That is correct, and Var seemed to acquire about $236 somehow.

"We should call on our travelling friend Rethus for advice. He is bound to ve fluent in the local language and most knowledgeable about suitable places to sell used goods... He may even be able to assist friend Gareth."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:04, Thu 08 Aug 2019.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 251 posts
Tue 6 Aug 2019
at 23:07
Near Al Menir
Haveron responds in a patient but thoughtful fashion.

"I don't think Omar knows anything but the outskirts of town.  Mostly what he has done is guard caravans.  I believe he can be more, but time will tell.  Let's wait and see what Amelia discovered during her game.  She has a way of acquiring information in those moments."

OOC Assuming we have Berry, welcome back.  Not sure when you want Amelia to come back, so I left it up to you, boss.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 55 posts
 Agent about town
Thu 8 Aug 2019
at 20:01
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 141):

Amelia returns, a turbaned fellow in tow, with an armload of silks and a small rolled carpet.
" The markets here are amazing! This is Hakim, I hired him for the day. We need to get a suite of rooms... and you have to buy or rent carpets and cushions, the rooms don't come furnished.  Also, it is impolite to do anything in public with one's left hand."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 14:42, Fri 09 Aug 2019.

Gareth
 player, 455 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 8 Aug 2019
at 21:00
Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 142):

"Thank you for that. Does he know of any sages who sell scrolls or can identify these magic items?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 252 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2019
at 16:57
Near Al Menir
Haveron smiles.  He had good people working for him.  "Well done Amelia.  We will follow custom and behave in public.  Please, lead us to our rooms, so we can recover from our long trip.  Perhaps even bathe for those that feel they need it.

The next order of business will be to get the items in Gareth's possession handled.  We so have work to do starting in the morning, I would like to have that handled this afternoon yet if we can."

Hakim Abd Tajir
 NPC, 1 post
 Local guide
Fri 9 Aug 2019
at 18:36
Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 144):

The porter bows.
"If it is lodging you seek, let me lead you to the Khan of Abou Mensour. If it is a wise fellow you seek, the you will want to see Radjul Qadim, the Most Knowledgeable ."
Gareth
 player, 457 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 9 Aug 2019
at 20:59
Near Al Menir
In reply to Hakim Abd Tajir (msg # 145):

Gareth mimicks the bow as politely as he can.

"If I may speak to Radjul Qadim first, I will rest easier when this is done...those that feel the need for water may do so. I prefer to wash in fire anyway."
Berry
 player, 124 posts
 Mage
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 19:31
Near Al Menir
"That is true... Berry says at Var's suggestion. She isn't sure the best way to introduce him though.  "Hey, I think I might be able to find someone who can help too. Always good to have a second opinion. And Gareth, remember our conversation? He might be able to give you some more info on that. Where are we staying at? Then I can see if he's around and meet you there?"
Gareth
 player, 458 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 22:46
Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 147):

"The more help the better. I just have needs here, I am afraid, not solutions."
Narrator
 GM, 6650 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 11 Aug 2019
at 15:54
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 148):

As you are all standing in the middle of the street, covered with travel dust in a town that definitely seems to have a thin for regular bathing, and discussing your business openly (ie get a room), you notice an atypical person, also as filthy as the lit of you, carrying a staff, abd festooned with bundles of herbs.
Gareth
 player, 459 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 11 Aug 2019
at 20:32
Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 149):

Gareth will watch the person, saying nothing for now, because things usually go better that way...
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 5 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 13 Aug 2019
at 18:32
Near Al Menir
A man stands alone in the street.  He is quite an average looking man, not tall nor short, neither fat nor skinny, and he is somewhere between handsome and ugly.  At the mans side hangs a dust covered fancy looking ax and a standard wooden shield lies on the ground by his side.  The mans hair is unruly, possibly because it refuses to be tamed or that the man lacks the motivation to tame it.  Same goes for his wily facial hair.  He has splotches of dirt and mud about his hands, face and clothing and upon closer inspection bits of leaves, small twigs and burrs can be seen clinging to him.  Anyone getting close can smell 'dog' on him.  What is obvious is that this man feels more at home out of town than in.

He catches the eye of some nearby strangers and speaks to an athletic man carrying a bow.  ”Hey Chum.  I got some nice stuff 'ere.”  The unkempt man reaches into a pouch and produces a vial of a greenish fluid.  ”I got a nice tea here, made 'a may roots, sycamore leaves and acorn oil.  Better 'an mead or ale if you wants a good night sleep.”
Shroud
 player, 36 posts
Tue 13 Aug 2019
at 18:33
Near Al Menir
The sometimes quiet woodsman steps a few paces forward and inspects the green hued vial skeptically.  Then he shakes his head and adds, ”No.  But you got something for a toothache?”
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 6 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 13 Aug 2019
at 18:36
Near Al Menir
The rural looking man pulls a tan colored root from a bag and hands it over.  ”Chew on this here wild-rut, but don't swallow the juice.  It's gonna help with the pain.”  Now the rural man looks to the small assembled group who seem to know each other and he singles out one of the better dressed.  ”Need some'un ta help ya sleep Chum?  Er maybe a nice tonic to give ya some pep?  My purse is a bit light so's I'm lookin' to unload some 'a my brews.”


OOC:
Burke is now talking to Haveron.

Gareth
 player, 463 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 13 Aug 2019
at 20:31
Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 153):

Turning to Berry,

"Not sure if he can help. Shall we meet up with your contact then?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 254 posts
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 20:54
Near Al Menir
Haveron doesn't respond to the man at first.  Instead he appraises his manner, and his entirely unkempt features.  The man was out of place here.  Badly out of place.  His skin was entirely too light, and he was not wearing the standard garb of the city inhabitants.  And, he was handling his items with his left hand.  He didn't seem to know the local customs at all.  It was almost as if he was as new to the town as they were, and had way less information.

Instead of responding to the man's questions, Haveron purses his lips, and rubs his hand over his mouth for a minute in thought.  Then, he turns to the side.

"Omar, you know this town better than us, even if you have only been to the outskirts.  What do you make of this?  I would have your opinion here."
Omar El Nasib
 player, 1 post
 Former Caravan guard
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 21:08
Near Al Menir
Omar puts his hands together over his chest, and performs sort of a mini bow to Haveron.  With his right hand he straightens his keffiyeh.  Then he turns to look over the man standing in front of them.  "Shalom, friend" he says by way of greeting, then he slowly walks around the man, observing him as he does.  It probably seems odd to the man standing there, since he doesn't have any context for the behavior.

After a few seconds of this, Omar returns to Haveron.  In response to the previous question he speaks in sort of a shrill, nasally voice.  "I would say this man has been in town less than 24 hours, and possibly not even for the day.  He has small leaves in his hair from the native plants, and several different layers of dirt from different areas.  I would say he has recently spent time wandering, and he hasn't bathed in a while.  He seems to be from the country, but not a farmer.  And he would seem to have some skill with native herbs and salves, or he at least knows enough to talk about it in an educated way.  With the task ahead of us, his presence seems promising."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 255 posts
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 21:12
Near Al Menir
Haveron turns to face his employee, and nods as Omar speaks.  "Also what I saw, Omar.  Very good.  Thank you."

He then turns to the man in front of him.  He has a certain charisma when he speaks, and he's handsome in a sort of rugged and grizzled sort of way.  The way he carries himself seems to instill a sense of calm and trust to the average onlooker.  "No sir, I do not need a tonic for sleeping, and I have plenty of pep in my step.  However, we are about to embark on a short journey, and your experience may be worthwhile.  Tell me, what do you know of the road between here and Northport?"
Ryojin
 player, 6 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 21:39
Near Al Menir
While walking by he spots the group of travelers, obviously not from Al Menir, but also not from his homeland too. several of them look like they can fair well in a fight, might even give him a challenge. As the rural looking man approached them Ryojin got closer to listen, not trying to be sneaking. When he hears them not speaking in Aralaise he knew he found something interesting. Being a foreigner in this land was not boding well for him, he did not fancy wearing other clothing than what he had, and though he enjoyed the cleanliness of the people, he preferred to clean his own clothing. He managed to pick up some of the language from the caravan he came in with a few weeks ago as well as his time here. Now he wishes to find a way back to northport, though.

Once He hears the big man mention the road back to northport, Ryojin was finally happy.



"Hello" He says with an accent in Aralaise.

"I hear you mention Northport, I want to go also. Can I join to go back please? I am from there."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:25, Wed 14 Aug 2019.

Omar El Nasib
 player, 2 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 22:15
Near Al Menir
Haveron Turns his head to look at the new person, and then makes a small gesture with his hand, as if to say one thing at a time.  Omar looks at Haveron for a moment, and looks a bit confused.  Then, he turns to face Ryojin and says "Shalom, friend.  I hear you wish to return to Northport.  Why not go with the caravan that just arrived?  They are short a guard, as I have joined this company.  Perhaps you do not wish to travel in their employ?  In that case, how may we assist you?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 257 posts
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 22:18
Near Al Menir
For hyst the faintest of moments, a smile crosses Haveron's face.  He had sensed something in his interactions with Omar, and his instincts had been correct.  The man had a certain...composure about him.  He liked that, and was happy to see him take some initiative.  While Omar dealt with the new person, Haveron politely waited for the vagrant to respond to his question.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 7 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 05:18
Near Al Menir
The rural man answers the local using the Valdassyan tongue with a slight Aralaise accent.  "Shalum, Chum."  He nods with a smile to both men.  "Name's Burke."

As the local walks around him apparently giving an assessment to his boss the local speaks.  Burke responds without really expecting an answer.

Omar says,  "I would say this man has been in town less than 24 hours...".  Burke snorts irritably and grunts.  "Seems like three days.  I can't git none 'a these bath lovers ta buy my potions and what-not."

Omar accurately describes Burkes state of uncleanliness and odor.  The rural man shrugs.  "Wha's wrong with that?"

And when the local comments that the stranger seems to be handy with herbs and salves Burke turns prideful.   "Well I woun't confuse Poke Weed with blackberries 'er Moon Seeds with tiny cherries if'un that's yer meanin'."

Next the refined city man takes over and asks about the road.  Burke purses his lips as he tries to gauge what this man is after, but unable to decipher his intent Burke spits out an honest answer.    "I know it carries trav'lers an' merchants, an' that always brings bandits.  But I ain't fussed none.  I got a way with animals and Feylan always smells 'em comin'. "

As the new man comes forward Burke nods to him.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:21, Thu 15 Aug 2019.

Gareth
 player, 464 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 07:38
Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 161):

Whilst the new folk looked well travelled, none looked particularly useful for Gareths current needs.

"Haveron, shall we meet someplace in a few hours, after we have sought some contacts to identify a few of our items, and perhaps source some scrolls?"
Hakim Abd Tajir
 NPC, 2 posts
 Local guide
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 19:31
Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 162):
"Peace Friend. I can guide you. My fee has been paid."




Maybe you missed the part about how you never get to split the party again?
Gareth
 player, 466 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 20:52
Near Al Menir
In reply to Hakim Abd Tajir (msg # 163):

"Cool. Ready when you are."

[OOC: Lol, not exactly, just thought that in town it would not be significant, since this ia just peaceful negotiations!]
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 258 posts
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 22:21
Near Al Menir
Haveron nods at what the man has to say.  No one seemed to know where that path went, and they could have some travel to handle when they investigated it.  This man, Burke, could help them with their tasks.

"Greetings, Burke.  We may be interested in retaining your services.  In the next day or so we expect to travel overland, in an area where we are not familiar.  It could be dangerous, based on the information we have.  What would you charge us for joining our group?  Or, would you be interested in a share of what we find?"
Ryojin
 player, 7 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 00:41
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar El Nasib:
Haveron Turns his head to look at the new person, and then makes a small gesture with his hand, as if to say one thing at a time.  Omar looks at Haveron for a moment, and looks a bit confused.  Then, he turns to face Ryojin and says "Shalom, friend.  I hear you wish to return to Northport.  Why not go with the caravan that just arrived?  They are short a guard, as I have joined this company.  Perhaps you do not wish to travel in their employ?  In that case, how may we assist you?"



"If they just arrived then that means they will not leave anytime soon, though I am in no rush myself. Travelling with another caravan does not yield me much opportunities to better myself and my way. I have spent sometime here training outside the city and wish to now test myself in anyway. I do not need much, only enough for my food, I have no use for much else in my way."
Berry
 player, 126 posts
 Mage
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 02:03
Near Al Menir
Right well I'm gonna try and contact Rethus. Reconvene in a few hours? Berry will split from the group.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 8 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 18:08
Near Al Menir
The rural man looks up at nothing as he thinks over the offer.  It sounded like a splendid deal.  Regular work was far better than hawking one's wares in the street of some unfamiliar town.  And overland was all he needed to hear to sign on.  But how to decide the pay.

"Cities have their place but I like the outdoors better so cross country sounds dandy.   An' I aint 'fraid 'a danger.  I'm handy with this. "  Burke momentarily pats the ax on his hip.  "An' like I said Feylan's an excellent tracker and he watches my back an' I watch his.  So, tell me 'bout this here danger.  And yur job.  If'un the share is bigger, I want that.  Risk dont bother me none."
Shroud
 player, 37 posts
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 18:15
Near Al Menir
Shroud stands by quietly seemingly content to passively interact with the towns folk and follow along with his companions as they complete their needed transactions.  At times he appears irritated by the look and behaviors of the townsfolk.

When he overhears Gareth and Hakim speaking Shroud draws near and says interestedly, ”I'd like to come.  I need a new blade.”
Narrator
 GM, 6668 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 17 Aug 2019
at 01:09
Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 169):

Standard shopping can be done with the guide, at about 5% under list.
(Tip this guy!) You can also sell any standard gear you are replacing at 40% of list; any bandit gear goes for only 16% of list.
Rethus
 NPC, 2 posts
 Handsome stranger
Sat 17 Aug 2019
at 01:27
Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 167):

After Berry steps into the alley behind the Inn that Hakim has led you too, and a moment later a carved door opens. There is a scent of hot metal, stale hookah smoke, curdled milk, and the sharp tang of vinegar.

A man in embroidered silk robes typical to the area steps out, and unfastens his headscarf from accross his face, with elongated fingers with well manicured nails, revealing handsome features.
"Shalom Berry, Var. What brings you to Al Menir, Jewel of the North?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 259 posts
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 16:09
Near Al Menir
After listening to the man accept his offer, the grizzled warrior extends his hand.

"My name is Haveron, and I am the leader of this group.  Thank you for your interest.  I believe your skills may help us with the tasks we have ahead.  However, I will not share any more information with you at this time, in this place.  That will have to wait for later.

For now, I have a task for you.  Think on this, and prepare an answer for perhaps this evening.  How do we know that we can trust you, and how do we know that you will be loyal to this group?  I cannot predict exactly what we will find when we go about our business.  Undoubtedly there will come a moment where you can find advantage in turning on us.  So far the group we have has proven trustworthy.  I expect the same from you, and so some assurance would be welcome.

Now, please, gather your things.  We have another man that has approached us, and I would attend to him for a moment while you prepare yourself."


With this, Haveron turns to face the other man, and asks "Omar?"
Omar El Nasib
 player, 3 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 16:23
Near Al Menir
Omar nods in a muted fashion, so as not to disturb his keffiyeh.  Then he summarizes for his boss.

"This man seeks company in his travel back to Northport.  He seems like he would be good in a fight, as he moves with a certain grace.  He did mention trying to better himself, so he may be interested in a challenge.  And, he told me all he wants is enough food to feed himself but no more.  His dress seems a bit foreign, and I can't place his manner, so I can tell you no more."

OOC Any visible weapons or armor?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 260 posts
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 16:26
Near Al Menir
Haveron listens to Omar, and what he has to say.  Then, he turns his attention to Ryojin.

"Sir, please tell me about yourself.  You seem foreign here, and so I understand your motivation to return to Northport.  However, we go only part of the way there, before we turn into the wilds.  We cannot protect you for your entire journey home, only part of it.  You mentioned testing yourself after some training, I believe, so perhaps you could also elaborate on what that means to you, and to us?"
Ryojin
 player, 8 posts
 Martial artist
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 16:39
Near Al Menir
His clothing looks simple in nature, worn and old if nothing else. It must have been white as a cloud once, not it is darker in tone from use and constant washing. His hands and feet are wrapped in thick cloth and he wears a short robe over a plain shirt, the robe held in place by a simple faded black cloth belt tied in a neat knot in the front. The robe is thick cloth but fits him prefectly. He has two small pouches attached to a small rope slung over his shoulders and nothing else.

Ooc: no weapons and cloth armor.

I come from a small village, where my master found me. I train in the way of the fist and journey now for experience. Though I journey now back to north port I am in no rush. I wish to test my skills against any opponent,  of any size, to see what I must learn to prefect my art. I have traveled far to do so.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 261 posts
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 18:39
Near Al Menir
Haveron looks the man over for a moment as he speaks.  He carried himself with a sort of confidence, but without weapons and armor he wasn't sure how well the man would do out in the wilds.  Haveron wasn't the sort of man who wanted to go on a mission with dead weight to carry.  He wasn't sure what the man was referring to when it came to his art.  Thus, he responds "I am confused sir.  You wear no weapons, and your cloth will not protect you from much.  We will be going to dangerous places, and Omar here can only protect so many people.  He is already charged with Amelia, so guarding a second person would be a stretch.  You talk about your art and the 'way of the fist', but I do not know what that means.  If you come with us, do you have some way to protect yourself so we don't have to save you from whatever dangers lurk out there?  Perhaps I am missing something, but your current equipment does not instill confidence in me.  If you want to come along, then you'll have to convince me we won't have to watch your back for you."
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 9 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 20:55
Near Al Menir
"Wellll met Haveron."  Burke delivers it with a slight bow and exaggerated tone, as if he's been trained on cordial greetings but doesn't understand the context.

Before they conclude their business Haveron tasks the woodsy man with proving his intentions.  Burke lets out a short and deep laugh.  "I got yer answer right now.  Beg yer pardon Cap'n but you don't strike me as no fool.  You ever deal with a snake oil salesman?  They'll say this an' that to git yer coin.  What you wanna hear, they'll say it.  Point is, you don't know me an' I don't know you.  You wanna know if you can trust me in the wilds?  My word aint worth mule dung right now, an' vice versa 'cause we just met.  You seem like a trustworthy man an' that's good 'nuff fer me.  But I 'spect you wanna hear somethin'.  I believe in fair pay for fair work.  I'll put my weight in when the time comes and I 'spect my share.  And I believe we all go home the way we come in.   I look out for mine.  You need somethin' more to judge me, I 'spect you'll be fixin' to find some finger waggler to work his magic on me."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:00, Sun 18 Aug 2019.

Ryojin
 player, 9 posts
 Martial artist
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 21:41
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron Stormwal:

"I am confused sir.  You wear no weapons, and your cloth will not protect you from much.  We will be going to dangerous places, and Omar here can only protect so many people.  He is already charged with Amelia, so guarding a second person would be a stretch.  You talk about your art and the 'way of the fist', but I do not know what that means.  If you come with us, do you have some way to protect yourself so we don't have to save you from whatever dangers lurk out there?  Perhaps I am missing something, but your current equipment does not instill confidence in me.  If you want to come along, then you'll have to convince me we won't have to watch your back for you."



Ryojin ponders this question for a moment.

"Hmm, It is how you say. I am with out a traditional weapon as you, nor am I covered in metal. So to others It does seem like I am not capable of protecting. Yet I manage, for so many years. I have toughened my body so that your average man can not harm me, I have strengthened my arms and legs to allow me to better match against metal weapons. I have trained to harness my Chi in ways others can not. That is the way of the Fist that I practice. I am quick on me feet too. To convince you is to show you, and to show you would mean to harm someone. Perhaps a time will come to show you, perhaps it never comes. Oh! Let us look for someone to fight, then I can show you." He says that last bit with the smile of a child that just thought up the best idea ever.
Narrator
 GM, 6676 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 19 Aug 2019
at 20:31
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 178):

The market is a busy place, and for the most part, the locals navigate the dance of passing eachother smoothly. There seems to be a bit of a commotion up ahead beyond the crowd...
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 10 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 05:20
Re: Near Al Menir
As the small group headed off Burke gathered his shield and walked with them, content that this Haveron would explain the details of their job when he could do so more privately.

But before they reach the safety of some lodging there seems to be a commotion in the market place.


OOC:
Burke will ready his shield in preparation of trouble.  He'll stay towards the rear but follow this new group.

Shroud
 player, 38 posts
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 05:28
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud walks through the city and speaks very little.  His face is a mask of mild contempt though he fails in his efforts to hide his disdain for townsfolk.  Suddenly, there seems to be some disturbance up ahead.  Without waiting Shroud is wrangling his bow into his hand while he awaits word from Haveron if they are going to investigate.
Gareth
 player, 467 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 08:35
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 181):

Gareth has gone with Hakim to look for someone to identify ans sell his toys, as well as someone to buy scrolls. The commotion ahead is somewhat of an inconvenience...but he stays quiet for now.
Berry
 player, 127 posts
 Mage
Fri 23 Aug 2019
at 04:05
Re: Near Al Menir
Rethus:
In reply to Berry (msg # 167):

After Berry steps into the alley behind the Inn that Hakim has led you too, and a moment later a carved door opens. There is a scent of hot metal, stale hookah smoke, curdled milk, and the sharp tang of vinegar.

A man in embroidered silk robes typical to the area steps out, and unfastens his headscarf from accross his face, with elongated fingers with well manicured nails, revealing handsome features.
"Shalom Berry, Var. What brings you to Al Menir, Jewel of the North?"

"I came with a team after we signed up to guard a caravan. Not too much work, but decent pay. Anyway, there was a bandit attack and we picked up some items. I'd be grateful if you could take a look and mention anything interesting. Also there was a man Gareth, who seemed like be he might be... amenable? Amenable to talking with you about the afterlife and securing something decent for himself. "
Hakim Abd Tajir
 NPC, 3 posts
 Local guide
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 02:14
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 182):

Everyone is near the inn. Hakim has not led anyone away from that point after leading them to it because we are not splitting the party more than a few feet from each other. Everyone must agree to go to the sage.
Rethus
 NPC, 3 posts
 Handsome stranger
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 02:17
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 183):

"It is delightful the way you look after our interests! You and Var were not the first to bring report of this one... we had a file on him many years ago and thought we had lost him, but all sheep return to the fold in the end.  As to stolen items, I am always ready to recieve, or redistribute as needed."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:17, Mon 26 Aug 2019.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 11 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 05:43
Re: Near Al Menir
Unsure what to make of these mercenaries Burke follows along quietly except for the occasional whispered lines said seemingly to himself.  ”...and bless the sun for it...(something too quiet to hear)...to each its own.”


OOC:
Burke follows along eagerly awaiting the explanation of danger from Haveron.  Burke is willing to accompany the group anywhere so long as he feels this party isn't yanking his chain.

Shroud
 player, 39 posts
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 05:54
Re: Near Al Menir
The wiry, athletic man follows along quietly to the inn.  As they go he is unable to hold his tongue when passing small crowds of the city dwellers, though his words are said under his breath to himself.  “Snobs” is heard at least twice.


OOC:
Shroud is also agreeable to go where ever the group needs to go.  Shroud is interested in heading out to purchase a new weapon.

Gareth
 player, 468 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 07:43
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 187):

Gareth would be most interested in visiting the sage! He would need no special invite, but rather probably needs to be told to go away (which he may or may not listen to), so unless Berry took special skills to escape him, he definitely would be with her.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 152 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 15:02
Re: Near Al Menir
We musssst bathe before anything, the localssss keep their distance, asss we are unclean.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 264 posts
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 17:25
Re: Near Al Menir
After careful consideration for several minutes, Haveron has considered many points.  There was Burke and his offer of assistance, and commentary about words being empty.  Haveron was inclined to believe a part of that, but there were subtleties in communication that spoke loudly of one's character.  Burke seemed to be a simple but honest man as far as he could tell.  In the moment Haveron decided he could accept Burke as part of the group, although he sad nothing.

Ryojin was a different man, but also similar.  He seemed earnest, and honest, although he definitely was different than the rest of the people in the town.  Not many people went unarmed in foreign territory.  And yet he had no scars or outward injuries to indicate he had been bested by men with metal weapons and armor.  There was circumstantial evidence to indicate his confidence was not misplaced.  He also seemed like he might make a worthy addition to the group.

Haveron didn't need to say anything on either subject.  Both men had accompanied them through the market, and so their presence implied they had been accepted to the group.  He had already accepted them with his non-verbal behavior.  The rest of the group also seemed to have accepted them, since no one had said anything or changed the way they were acting.

Instead, Haveron turns to address Hakim Abd Tajir, who had led them to the inn.

"Hakim, please secure rooms for everyone here as appropriate.  We will bathe and find a few moments of comfort before we start our business anew.

While we rid ourselves of our travel dirt, please locate native garb for the people who wish to rent some.  We should dress the part while we are here, to better facilitate the work we need to achieve.

Finally, please contact the Sage there is here in town.  We would much prefer he come to us, rather than going to him.  We will make it worth his while if necessary.  I prefer to organize the group as a whole rather than having people in and out in small groups.  Plus, I am particularly interested in the sword."


With a nod to Gareth Haveron continues.

"The weapon may be valuable to us.  It would be worth discussing an arrangement to keep it with the group, rather than selling it.  We may have need of it out in the wild, where money will do us no good.  Thus, it would be worth having everyone present when it is appraised, so we all know who would most benefit from it's services.

Oh, and please take Omar and Amelia with you, and show them around on your way.  I would like for them to be familiar with the layout of the area in case we return at a later date.  "

Berry
 player, 128 posts
 Mage
Wed 28 Aug 2019
at 18:56
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 188):

OOC: Gareth can be with Berry. Berry would try to do the actual "meet up" in private though. Although Gareth could watch if he is even a little sneaky. Even if he's not Berry will bring Rethus to the party him.


Rethus:
In reply to Berry (msg # 183):

"It is delightful the way you look after our interests! You and Var were not the first to bring report of this one... we had a file on him many years ago and thought we had lost him, but all sheep return to the fold in the end.  As to stolen items, I am always ready to recieve, or redistribute as needed."

"Right, then off to my team. Follow me..."
Berry does her best to find the party, which since Gareth is going to stalk her, should be pretty easy "...ah here is Gareth! That was suspiciously easy."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:57, Wed 28 Aug 2019.

Rethus
 NPC, 4 posts
 Handsome stranger
Thu 29 Aug 2019
at 02:18
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 191):

Berry returns from the alleyway, accompanied by a handsome stranger in fine garments of the local style.
"Well met, Gareth. Your name has been on many lips of late. It is a wonder your ears are nnot buzzing. I am an associate of Berry, and have been desireous of our meeting for some time."


Hakim seems taken aback by him.
Hakim Abd Tajir
 NPC, 4 posts
 Local guide
Thu 29 Aug 2019
at 02:24
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Rethus (msg # 192):

Eyeing the stranger with some suspicion, Hakim bows to Haveron.
" Just so, Sahib. Rooms shall be arranged, furnishings and garments rented, a repast brought forth. While you bathe and refresh yourselves, I will send word to Rajul Qadim to see if he is amenable to such a proposition."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:41, Fri 30 Aug 2019.

Gareth
 player, 470 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 29 Aug 2019
at 07:02
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Rethus (msg # 192):

"I must admit that I think little what others think of me, because I know they do so very rarely. Even when my name is being used, the user is usually thinking of themselves. But Berry it seems has sought to assist me. The simplest matter first would concern these items we have gathered. They seem magical, but the details elude me..."
Rethus
 NPC, 6 posts
 Handsome stranger
Fri 30 Aug 2019
at 14:48
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 194):

"Let us do this somewhere private. May I come in to your rooms?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 265 posts
Fri 30 Aug 2019
at 19:06
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron notes the newcomer passing through with Berry, to speak with Gareth.  He doesn't say anything directly, not knowing their business.  However, he pays reasonably close attention to their interactions.  They may be important later on.

OOC Let me know if there is anything Haveron ought to observe about the newcomer and the situation in general.  Otherwise, we can move on to the next scene (as far as Haveron is concerned).
Narrator
 GM, 6732 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 30 Aug 2019
at 19:49
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 196):

Make a per-2 roll. Also the gentleman seems to be waiting to be invited in.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 266 posts
Fri 30 Aug 2019
at 20:07
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron will be too distracted by all the commption and bustle to really hone in on his new guest.
Gareth
 player, 472 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 30 Aug 2019
at 23:11
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 197):

"Please do. Berry and I would be glad to make your acquaintance. I believe our friends can enjoy their showers they so desperately desire while we discuss this."
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 12 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sun 1 Sep 2019
at 16:32
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke follows his new potential employer to the inn willingly and in short order it becomes apparent that the whole menagerie is to wash, change clothes and then wander about the town to make business transactions.  Burke scrunches up his face confused.  ”But I already had a bath this month.”  Its more of a question than a statement.  However with little argument Burke heads for the showers.


OOC:
Burke is primarily interested in finding gainful employment and as such is willing to follow the crowd so long as the expected behavior isn't too crazy.  While Burke isn't used to showering to impress people he will not resist.  He will bathe and pay for rented clothing and follow along in the shopping trip.

Shroud is an easier story as he wants to go shopping (for weapons) and get the best possible price.


Narrator
 GM, 6743 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 3 Sep 2019
at 19:10
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 200):

Once everyone has made their way through the baths  (in what is essentially a lap pool) except for Gareth, who immolates himself instead, (occ, make a pair of rolls for that) and donned suitable attire, the servants bring in trays of bread, salt, dates, fruit, and assorted lamb and rice dishes.

(All of this goes under CoL)

Hakim will not take food with you at first, but as Rethus permits the plate to pass, he breaks bread with you, having first washed his hands in a basin.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 267 posts
Tue 3 Sep 2019
at 19:19
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron watches how Hakim does things, and follows suit.  He will specifically be careful to eat with his right hand, under the expectation that the local custom dictates it.

He'll also indicate for Amelia and Omar to do the same (although he doubts Omar needs the reminder).

Haveron makes a mental note to get more information on the local customs from Omar, when he can do so discretely.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 153 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 3 Sep 2019
at 19:57
Re: Near Al Menir
The Adept wades in and splashes around , enjoying the water for a few moments before exiting and dressing.
He eats with great moderation, despite being hungry, figuring he can buy 5 or 6 kilos of meat in the market to whet his appetite.
Gareth
 player, 473 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 3 Sep 2019
at 20:44
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 201):

Gareth uses a flame cloud to get most of the dirt off, then a flame jet for those hard to reach places...before coming out and having some food. He does not notice local customs, and even uses his left hand to offer food to others.
Narrator
 GM, 6750 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 16:22
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 204):

I needed a roll for Resist Fire!
Gareth
 player, 474 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 20:16
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 205):

But he has DR 5 vs fire! He is naturally resistant...what is the roll for?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 268 posts
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 23:09
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron will watch Gareth as he bathes in fire and make a note that something is most definitely off with the man.  He already new that of course, and Gareth was not a potential employee for that very reason.  Still, they were working together at the moment, and Haveron was in the habit of knowing his people as well as possible.  It was part of being a good leader, and a good manager.
Ryojin
 player, 15 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 23:50
Re: Near Al Menir
Ryojin follows the group, he bathes methodically, as he always does, everything is training of the mind or body. Once done he puts his own clothing back on, politely refusing other clothing. Seeing Gareth bathe in flames made Ryojin wonder what type of training that was, and if he could do that one day.

When it came time to eat, he was selective. Everyday he made sure he gave his body what it needed for his Chi to flow properly.
Narrator
 GM, 6756 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 01:47
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 206):

The spells you selected have variable damage that is larger than your DR. Things can fail, and critically, and you are still able to burn yourself with 0pt spells.
Gareth
 player, 475 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 10:31
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 209):

Bunch of perverts, watching a man wash himself!

Gareth removes all of his clothes and places them well aside, before he first creates a small cloud of fire, which lasts for about 10 seconds. He then creates a jet of fire for those hard to reach places. Perhaps it was the audience, but it was extra hot today, and he yells as the burning sensation in his rear was a little more than desired...swearing in an odd fashion as he checks his hindquarters.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:32, Thu 05 Sept 2019.

Berry
 player, 129 posts
 Mage
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 15:20
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry will indulge in the food!
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 13 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 18:44
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke follows along quietly with the crowd trusting that this party of odd men and women will lead to gainful employment.  The dirty hippy (before bathing and changing clothes) eyes the fire curiously and wonders if he treats all of his cleaning like that, but Burke makes no comment.

He is glad to eat something for he is old enough to know when tagging along under a new employer meal times are uncertain.  Burke makes several quiet prayers to himself mentioning phrases like 'bountiful nature' and 'glorious sun, wind and rains' before taking any food.

The cleaner rural man samples most of the offered food and comments how delicious the dates are.  But he snubs his nose at the lamb quite disappovingly.


OOC:
Burke and Shroud will continue to follow along where the group needs to go.  Burke is just along for the ride.


Shroud
 player, 40 posts
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 18:48
Re: Near Al Menir
The man known only as Shroud sits at the meal and attempts, moderately successfully, to ignore these intolerable town folks with their high attitudes of themselves and such trivial matters as who wears the prettiest clothes and who's house has the most windows.


OOC:
Shroud has business at the weapons vendor and likewise follows along willingly where the group needs to go.

Gareth
 player, 476 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 20:12
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 213):

Once clean, Gareth has a hurried meal before asking Berry about meeting with her friend.

[OOC: should not this meeting be a private affair? Not sure all would agree.]
Narrator
 GM, 6761 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 22:14
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 210):

I may have missed it during chargen, but there are no healing spells for non clerics. The variant that heals golems and constructs does not work on people!
Gareth
 player, 477 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 6 Sep 2019
at 05:29
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 215):

Ok, this was a prerequisite for some of his...other spells. But he can take time to heal if that will not work normally...of a successful first aid roll should heal 1 hp...

This message was last edited by the player at 05:31, Fri 06 Sept 2019.

Narrator
 GM, 6765 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 6 Sep 2019
at 14:03
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 216):

What you have are two perks :alternate path for both lend vitality and minor healing.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 269 posts
Fri 6 Sep 2019
at 17:16
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron observes the peculiar bathing process performed by Gareth.  The man did not seem like a demon, but he certainly behaved outside of the human norms sometimes.  Haveron had to shake his head at the strange people he found himself allied with.  Still, they needed Gareth for the upcoming challenges, so he held his tongue and didn't say anything.

Haveron was fascinated by the way dinner was handled.  Some were careful to follow tradition and custom by eating with their left hand (etc), as he was.  Others were oblivious, or had quirks about the way they ate that provided hints to their character.

Omar in particular seemed at home in the environment, which was good to see.  Haveron cared for ability more than anything else.  However, having people who could relate to different cultures was important to forming a company.  They might do business in different areas and towns.  Knowing the cultural norms and traditions of the different area would allow them to put  their customers at ease, and facilitate good communications.

In particular Haveron noted the disciplined manner that Ryojin ate his dinner.  The man obviously had ability, but his manner was completely foreign to him.  Seeing this sort of discipline and care around something as simple as eating instilled a bit more confidence in someone whose path in life was alien to him.  If Ryojin was this disciplined with his eating, he was potentially this disciplined in other areas as well.

And then there was Burke.  Haveron had to smile at the very disciplined Ryojin eating next to a very country-bumpkin type like Burke.  The man mumbled to himself and seemed easy to read when it came to his intentions.  Where Ryojin was clean and organized, Burke was dirty and rather oblivious to his appearance.  The two were certainly an odd couple to take aboard, and Haveron made a mental note on the spot.  He wanted to see the two work together down the road a bit.  They seemed almost like opposed opposites in the way they approached life.  Sseeing the two of them interact would tell him much about their character.  He already had a good feel for the rest of their little group, and the two new additions seemed like they could add to the greater whole.

Once the meal finished, Haveron noted that Gareth hung back to have a side conversation.  In his opinion, the man needed to be watched and managed, so leaving for the shops didn't seem like a great decision in that moment.  Instead of ushering the group along, Haveron decides to give them a few minutes leisure.

"Gareth, I can see you need a few minutes.  The rest of us will take a few minutes to organize our things while you complete your business.  While you're doing that, we can check on the appraisal of that sword.  Please return to us quickly, so we can make the bazaar while the vendors are still available."

OOC We can pause here briefly while Gareth takes care of his business.  That way, the group stays together.  I don't care if it's done offscreen, but Haveron feels it necessary to track Gareth's movements after seeing more of how he works.  And, Berry is on his radar as well, after bringing that strange ...man?... into their presence.
Narrator
 GM, 6770 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 6 Sep 2019
at 19:51
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke had been the last to bathe, and left the water dark with leaves floating in it. When he came out, with dirt still under his nails, and his hair in tangled elflocks, he managed to get the edge of his rented garment in the dirty water, and while eating, managed to spill both coffee and baba ganoosh on his clothing.

While the serving folk glare at him, and call for a caster to purify the bath, Rethus, Berry, Var, and The somewhat tender Gareth step into the anteroom to examine some of the items he retrieved.
Gareth
 player, 478 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 7 Sep 2019
at 01:27
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 217):

OK, will note that in.

Gareth and Berry will go to a private room for a discussion with Berries friend.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:41, Sat 07 Sept 2019.

Rethus
 NPC, 7 posts
 Handsome stranger
Sun 8 Sep 2019
at 19:28
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 220):

"Now how may I be of service to you?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:23, Sun 08 Sept 2019.

Gareth
 player, 479 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 8 Sep 2019
at 20:09
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Rethus (msg # 221):

"I was told you had been watching me and had an offer for me?"
Rethus
 NPC, 8 posts
 Handsome stranger
Sun 8 Sep 2019
at 20:31
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 222):

"You are likely to become ours simply because of your behavior, but why leave it to chance? There are powers you cannot reach with your current progression, but with a modest diversion, can be yours. Now, I thought you wanted to know about the things you took from the man you consigned to the flames?"
Gareth
 player, 480 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 8 Sep 2019
at 20:39
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Rethus (msg # 223):

"And who are you? Yes, I would like to know about these items..."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:00, Mon 09 Sept 2019.

Rethus
 NPC, 9 posts
 Handsome stranger
Wed 11 Sep 2019
at 00:13
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 224):

"This weapon is known to me. It is Safyr Alriyh, sword of the wind. It cuts through armor easily, and has q bite to it. Many have come my way, at either end of the blade. This shield bears a mild defensive enchantment, and this amulet is proof against arrows, one need merely speak its name."
Gareth
 player, 481 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 11 Sep 2019
at 10:25
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Rethus (msg # 225):

"I see. Do you know how to activate this amulet? Does it have limited charges?"
Rethus
 NPC, 10 posts
 Handsome stranger
Wed 11 Sep 2019
at 19:49
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 226):

"If I am to tell you that, I need you to do me a favor first. There is a blind man begging in the central market square. I need you to put this in his alms bowl."

He extends a copper coin to you.
Gareth
 player, 482 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 11 Sep 2019
at 20:27
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Rethus (msg # 227):

"Give a copper to a blind man? You did not strike me as the generous sort. Why?"

He takes the copper and examines it.
Narrator
 GM, 6787 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 12 Sep 2019
at 01:46
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 228):

Make an IQ+magery roll.
Berry
 player, 130 posts
 Mage
Sat 14 Sep 2019
at 04:07
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry has been listening quietly. She finds it a bit surprising that Gareth is more concerned with items that the disposition of his soul, but not too surprised. She does pay some attention to the coin.

OOC: 00:03, Today: Berry rolled 12 using 3d6.  IQ+Magery (17) (looking at a coin).

Gareth
 player, 483 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 14 Sep 2019
at 05:30
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 230):

Gareth also seems to get an idea...
Narrator
 GM, 6799 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 15 Sep 2019
at 15:09
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 231):

The coin is vaguely magical, but you have no idea what it does.
Gareth
 player, 484 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 15 Sep 2019
at 20:17
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 232):

"So what does this coin do?"
Rethus
 NPC, 11 posts
 Handsome stranger
Mon 16 Sep 2019
at 15:54
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 233):

"That is of no concern to you. All I ask is that you give it to the kids beggar, ad I will relay the word that will activate your amulet."


The rest of the group is waiting.
Gareth
 player, 485 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 16 Sep 2019
at 20:28
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Rethus (msg # 234):

"Very well. I will pass the coin on, and you will relay the word to activate the amulet. I will just need to let the rest of my group know."

Gareth will head out to the group. Once out of earshot of the stranger, he will ask if anyone knows how to dispel magic...and have it cast before handing the coin as requested.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 14 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 17 Sep 2019
at 15:10
Re: Near Al Menir
Some minutes later the fiery man returns and asks for a favor.  Looking a bit confused at the half request, which is to say a request without an explanation, Burke wants to impress his new employer.  So he raises a hand tentatively and responds. ”I can.  What'cha need boss?”  When Gareth reveals that he needs a certain spell cast upon an object Burke smiles, pulls some weeds out of a belt pouch and says simply, ”Long as the spirits aint mad at me.  But usually they like my prayers.  Here goes.  Oh glorious sun and wind and rain...”  This goes on for several more sentences.


OOC:
The meal and the bathing have been done so I'm not sure what Burke would be doing when Gareth comes in and asks for magical assistance.  So I guess Burke is just milling about making small talk with his new 'co-workers'.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 270 posts
Tue 17 Sep 2019
at 19:56
Re: Near Al Menir
As Haveron has nothing to add, he sits back and watches the rest of the group work.  He is pleased to see Burke offer to help, although he does seem perhaps a bit too enthusiastic to jump in without knowing anyone.  Haveron quietly files that detail, as the man seems perhaps a bit young or immature.  It's like he needs appreciation or seeks approval.  Haveron was keen to know his people, and moments like this were the way to doing so.

Also of note was the way Burke approached the problem.  While Haveron was completely untrained in the magical arts, he had been around them a while.  They all seemed to work differently.  Gareth just concentrated for the briefest of moments, and he could work wonders with fire.  Burke, on the other hand, was using herbs and other components for the task at hand.  While Haveron didn't understand how it worked or why it worked, this seemed like a major difference in the two men.  He made a mental note to ask Burke about it some time during their travels.  The difference could be important somewhere down the road.
Gareth
 player, 486 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 17 Sep 2019
at 20:22
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 237):

"Thank you. I did not entirely trust the person who asked me to pass this to a beggar. Odd, I know, but I do have morals..."

Once Bourke has finished with the coin, he proceeds to take it outside to the beggar as directed, returning soon after and heading back to Berry or her strange friend to get the password for the Amulet.
Narrator
 GM, 6808 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 17 Sep 2019
at 22:51
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 238):

While Burke's spell seemed to have effect, the coin throbbed in his hand and remained magical to his senses.



(It resisted)
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 15 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 17 Sep 2019
at 23:25
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke stares at the coin in the palm of his hand with a rather melancholy expression.  ”Hmmm. Looks like it din't work C'pn.  Want me ta give it 'nother go?”
Berry
 player, 131 posts
 Mage
Wed 18 Sep 2019
at 04:45
Re: Near Al Menir
"Wait, does dispelling even work on magical items? Maybe I shouldn't be here for this dispelling? I actually like the guy, although maybe he will appreciate trying to find loopholes." Berry shrugs.
Gareth
 player, 487 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 18 Sep 2019
at 09:13
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 240):

"Sure Bourke, give it another go. The way I see it Berry, he did not put any conditions on it, other than giving it to the beggar."
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 16 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 18 Sep 2019
at 14:29
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke says with a smile and a shrug.  ”Your coin, your call friend.  I don't think my stomach was right.”  The rural man digs in a belt pouch and produces a handful of small round reddish berries. He holds them out to Gareth and offers, ”Want some?”

With the remainder he crushes them by smashing his hands together and liberally rubs his hands back and forth, then smears the mess all over his face.  Then he begins to chant while waving his arms around.  ”Hi-ya, eee-ya...”
Narrator
 GM, 6813 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 20 Sep 2019
at 13:12
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 243):

A temporary spell might have been sundered, but there is something enduring about this...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 271 posts
Fri 20 Sep 2019
at 16:12
Re: Near Al Menir
After watching several minutes of this transpire, Haveron decides it is time to ask questions.

"What's going on?  I stood back and observed while you worked on this.  It's obviously a magical issue and nothing I understand well.  Can you explain the problem in terms I can understand?"

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 17 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 20 Sep 2019
at 18:47
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke simply shrugs and purses his lips non committally.   Then he pokes a thumb towards Gareth.   ”It's like this C'pn.  Yer fire man wants the magic on this here coin gone.  So I prayed but it weren't good 'nough.  So's he asked an' I prayed again."  Now Burke points a finger from above directly down towards the innocent looking coin in his hand.    ”But this here coin is puttin' up a fight like two squirrels wrestlin' over the last nut 'a Autumn.  There's still a charm on it.”
Gareth
 player, 488 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 20 Sep 2019
at 22:55
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 246):

Gareth smiles.

"Thank you, Bourke. Berry's friend told me that we could have the items we found identified if we give this coin to a specific beggar. I just wanted to magically 'clean' it before I did so, to avoid anything nasty happening to the beggar. If you have had some effect, even temporary, then I can give it to him, having done my best and done what I agree to do at the same time..."

With that, he will head out and and give the coin to the beggar, warning him that it is magical, and he may want to get rid of it very soon.

He will then return to Berries friend to get him to fulfill his part of the deal.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 272 posts
Fri 20 Sep 2019
at 23:13
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC Haveron is the thoughtful kind.  Given a minute to consider all the details he might object to Gareth doing this.  He doesn't understand what is going on here on the magical level.  At the same time, he did notice their acquaintance was probably an evil man and quite possibly not human from his behavior.  And Gareth of ALL people had reservations about giving this to the beggar.  That's most definitely a red flag for Haveron.

I am approaching this as if he is not ready to step in and act before Gareth has already taken action, in the interest of moving the story along.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:14, Fri 20 Sept 2019.

Berry
 player, 132 posts
 Mage
Sun 22 Sep 2019
at 02:34
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry facepalms over this, but she decides not to say anything. Well, she tried her best to help Gareth get his afterlife planning in order, so she doesn't feel bad.
Narrator
 GM, 6824 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 22 Sep 2019
at 20:59
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 249):

Gareth approaches the beggar in the marketplace, and drops the coin into his almsbowl.
"May the Prophet of the Most High bless you for your generosity."
Omar El Nasib
 player, 4 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Mon 23 Sep 2019
at 01:00
Re: Near Al Menir
A couple minutes after Gareth donates to the beggar, Omar discretely walks up to the same beggar and places a silver into his bowl.  As he pulls his gloved hand back, he discretely grabs the coin that Gareth placed there.  He places it into an empty pouch and closes it up, and then returns to Haveron and the rest of the group.  Upon rejoining the rest of the group he hands the whole pouch to Haveron.

OOC Pausing here in case the GM wants to interject something.
Gareth
 player, 489 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 23 Sep 2019
at 11:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 251):

Gareth pretends not to notice Omar's actions, and returns to Berries friend, asking for him to give him the rest of the information as promised, since he did as asked.
Berry
 player, 133 posts
 Mage
Wed 25 Sep 2019
at 05:03
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry doesn't inform on Gareth when Gareth is right there (that would be rude), but she is planning to first chance she gets.
Narrator
 GM, 6831 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 25 Sep 2019
at 21:00
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 251):

The blind man had touched the coin before Omar reached over with 5he silver, and Omar is close enough to see the pale murkiness of the man's pupils be washed away and made clear.
He looks in Omar's face with delight
"Praise be, I can see again!"
Omar El Nasib
 player, 5 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Thu 26 Sep 2019
at 21:50
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar says nothing to the blind man at the time of the event.  Instead he puts the silver in the man's bowl, and palms the magical coin.

When he turns the coin over to Haveron, he pulls him aside to report what happened.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 273 posts
Thu 26 Sep 2019
at 21:52
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron says nothing when Omar tells him what happens, although his eyes widen almost imperceptibly with surprise.  His face turns thoughtful in the next few minutes, and he looks upwards as people will sometimes do when they are thinking deeply about a problem.

OOC Haveron will not say anything in the moment.  Gareth is already back in with his friend, and it seems better to let him resolve that before addressing this next item.
Narrator
 GM, 6840 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 28 Sep 2019
at 01:16
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 256):

Gareth hears someone whispering in his ear, but no one is there.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 01:16, Sat 28 Sept 2019.

Gareth
 player, 490 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 29 Sep 2019
at 11:51
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 257):

"Thank you. What does it do then?"
Narrator
 GM, 6847 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 29 Sep 2019
at 21:39
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 258):

Gareth hears a whisper in his other ear...
Gareth
 player, 491 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 30 Sep 2019
at 20:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 259):

Gareth thank the voice for the information, and asks how often such a thing can function.
Narrator
 GM, 6855 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 2 Oct 2019
at 20:56
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 260):

Gareth hears a whisper in his other ear, and can smell foul breath and a metallic tang.
Gareth
 player, 492 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 3 Oct 2019
at 02:02
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 261):

Gareth is a little uncomfortable... this did not sit well with his idea of his own afterlife...
Omar El Nasib
 player, 6 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Thu 3 Oct 2019
at 17:31
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 262):

Gareth's distraction is over, and Omar reports on the wonder he has seen.
Gareth
 player, 493 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 3 Oct 2019
at 20:18
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 263):

"The weapon is Safyr Alriyh, sword of the wind. It cuts through armor easily, and has q bite to it. Many have come my way, at either end of the blade. This shield bears a mild defensive enchantment, and this amulet is proof against arrows, one need merely speak its name and give some energy. Now I guess we work out what to do with them. I would like the shield...though it's weight concerns me."

[OOC: How much does the shield weigh and what is its DB?]
Narrator
 GM, 6862 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 4 Oct 2019
at 19:57
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 264):

The shield is medium, and lightened. It weighs 9lbs and has a DB of 2+1 (only 2 vs meteoric iron etc.)
Gareth
 player, 494 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 4 Oct 2019
at 22:29
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 265):

Gareth will want the shield then!
Berry
 player, 134 posts
 Mage
Sat 5 Oct 2019
at 03:07
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry lingers, (and informs on Gareth!) before catching up with him. "I'll vote for you getting the shield. If that's how this works. The sword seems cool, but it would probably be a while before I'm able to use it. Amulet against missiles is nice, but I'm guessing I have that spell already."
Narrator
 GM, 6872 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 8 Oct 2019
at 14:09
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 267):

Omar looks interested in the sword.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 274 posts
Tue 8 Oct 2019
at 16:03
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron looks over the items, and takes a moment to process the various perspectives of the group.  Many would be interested in items enchanted with magic, and there was no fair way to divvy up items of this worth.  The problem had many facets worth consideration.

After a moment of thought, Haveron responds.  "I would like to see Omar receive the sword.  He looks interested in it, but it is more than that.  He will be charged with protecting Amelia when we encounter hostiles, and I consider him to be part of my retainer.  In my opinion it benefits all of us to keep the sword in our possession.

As such, I recommend that he not be included in any profit we make in our upcoming exploration, unless we make enough to cover the weapon and then some. If we don't make enough to cover the sword, then I will offer to take whatever we come up short out of my share, and even Amelia's if need be.  In the long run, I consider the benefit to all of us to be worth the cost.  If anyone objects to this, we can reconsider the allocation.

As for the amulet and shield, I don't know who they would best serve.  The Adept, yourself Berry, Shroud, and even Amelia are all viable suggestions.  I think we should decide on who gets the shield and the amulet as a group.  If we cannot decide on the best use of the items, then we will resort to lots.

I hear that Berry and Gareth are both interested in the shield.  Who is interested in the amulet?"

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 154 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 8 Oct 2019
at 18:22
Re: Near Al Menir
I would indeed like the amulet ... 
Shroud
 player, 41 posts
Tue 8 Oct 2019
at 20:13
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud follows along as the group investigates the very nature of their spoils.  Literally with his person and figuratively with his attention.   When the issue comes to the fore of who will take ownership the outdoorsman simply holds up the flat of a hand and waves it gently, as if shooing away a second or third helping of food.


OOC:
Shroud 2.0's primary weapon is a bow and he doesn't have need of a shield.  Since I the new player wasn't around I feel the spoils should go to active players on the last mission.  I think the group would be best served by the healer having the amulet.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 155 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 8 Oct 2019
at 22:49
Re: Near Al Menir
Of course the healer has a two handed sword too ...
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 56 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 9 Oct 2019
at 13:50
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 272):

"If Gareth wants to hold on to the shield, that would be fine, as few of us can use one. I appreciate Omar having the blade to defend us, and as the Adept is our primary healer, the amulet in his possession would benefit us all by preserving him. Now, we need to get provisions for the way back. It took a week to get here with the caravan, and I don't know how far our proposed destination is. We will have to plan on at least another weeks worth of food. Without Horvath, Haveron, Omar, and the Adept are our front line fighters, and Shroud is missile support. If Berry can, um, create another attack dog as needed, that would be great. Gareth, try not to murder everyone."

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:05, Fri 11 Oct 2019.

Gareth
 player, 495 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 9 Oct 2019
at 18:10
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 273):

"Murder everyone? I only kill those trying to kill me, and my missile support is what reduced their own missile attacks in fairly short order..."
Berry
 player, 135 posts
 Mage
Wed 9 Oct 2019
at 22:46
Re: Near Al Menir
"Yeah, I can recreate the attack dog as needed. I can make food too, although provisions so I don't have to would be preferable. " Berry says.
OOC: Wait, did we get character points at some point?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 275 posts
Wed 9 Oct 2019
at 23:45
Re: Near Al Menir
"Amelia, I fully support your thinking on this, and agree with your reasoning.  However, I don't want to dictate how we handle the loot to the rest of the group.  That said, we will go with this plan unless anyone objects.

As for the organization, I trust your judgement on these things.  As long as this has been decided, please make the necessary arrangements."


OOC Last call for the group to object, otherwise I think we should move forward.

I'll mention here that the GM broke that down as Amelia so I think he's encouraging us to get past this so we can get to the good stuff.  You can figure that from the private message to Berry he didn't get private.  :)

And yes, we did get character points a while back.  This character enlisted the aid of Omar.

Narrator
 GM, 6877 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 12:33
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry recieved:
$350 (pro rated from $700 for poverty)
4 cp
1 extra point in Valdassyan.
Gareth
 player, 496 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 21:57
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 276):

"I did have some scrolls I was looking to purchase, to expand my spells beyond burning things a little...I meant to ask Berries friend, but I doubt he had scrolls anyway."
Narrator
 GM, 6880 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 11 Oct 2019
at 15:12
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 278):

You all spend the night 8n the Khan of Abou Mensour*
Your guide may still be found; do you wish to visit the sage Radjul Qadim before you get rations and supplies and head out?



For magical shopping, I will need a scrounging roll to find a vender, and a roll under 6 (+ bonuses for quality of scrounging, and bonuses of whoever is looking (ie: Amelia if asked)) for each item sought



* read the Adventure of the Porter in the 1001 nights...
Gareth
 player, 497 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 11 Oct 2019
at 18:43
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 279):

Gareth will ask Amelia for assistance in finding some spells once he has located a vendor.

, Rolled 4 to find! Rolled 2 under IQ to learn]
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 57 posts
 Agent about town
Fri 11 Oct 2019
at 20:56
Re: Near Al Menir
Amelia is a bit taken aback when the fire mage approaches her, but dispite the surprised look on her face she replies "Yes, "I can help you find someone to purchase magical wares.  I know just where to look after my excursion earlier today."
Narrator
 GM, 6881 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 12 Oct 2019
at 04:33
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 281):

You are able to find scrolls for seek earth, and keen vision. You may attempt to learn the spell, and destroy the scroll, or simply use it... once. They cost $100 each, and are cast at 15.

The shop sells a variety of amulets against magic...
Gareth
 player, 498 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 13 Oct 2019
at 03:24
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 282):

Gareth would like to learn them. What should he roll to do so, or is it automatic?
Narrator
 GM, 6892 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 13 Oct 2019
at 05:06
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 283):

A thaumatology roll each and a character point. PM me for that so we can get the group moving.
Gareth
 player, 499 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 15 Oct 2019
at 01:10
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 284):

Gareth will  spend some time to learn the spells.
Narrator
 GM, 6898 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 15 Oct 2019
at 20:51
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 285):

With Gareth's business concluded, everyone should be ready to move out, after a declaration of rations and other supplies purchased.

You all will be charged $43 for the inn, food, clothing rental and gear cleaning/ repair. Anyone with compulsive carousing ad $20 to that and make a roll.
Last call to inquire locally about your intended target, the tower people have trouble seeing or remembering.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 19 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 15 Oct 2019
at 22:03
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
I have 5 days worth of rations.  No one has told me what we're doing so I dont know if I need more.  I can afford the above mentioned $43 but beyond that I'm pretty broke.

Shroud
 player, 42 posts
Tue 15 Oct 2019
at 22:10
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Burke, you seem like a really cool guy.  I dig your style.  Reminds me of me.  I'll float you a loan for food and you can pay me back after this adventure.  I wont even charge interest.

Shroud is ready.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 276 posts
Tue 15 Oct 2019
at 22:30
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC Haveron will have math to do tomorrow, no time for today.
Burke will be covered by Haveron, he would see that as an investment towards the success of the group.

Gareth
 player, 500 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 15 Oct 2019
at 22:46
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 288):

Gareth will seek one more matter of business with the scroll merchant: he will look for the spells Light and Continual light.
Narrator
 GM, 6905 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 15 Oct 2019
at 23:47
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 290):

Finding scrolls is a flat roll of 6 for availability once the merchant was found, and their willingness to sell was based on boni from Amelia. For $120, you have a scroll of continual light that would be daylight strength. I will take the other roll as having learned it.
Gareth
 player, 501 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 16 Oct 2019
at 01:39
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 291):

So even with a plus 1 with Amelia's help, and a scrounging roll that applied last time, he should get both, right? Or has something changed?
Narrator
 GM, 6907 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 16 Oct 2019
at 13:21
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 292):

You gave me s six item shopping list and then added more after I said wrap it up.
Gareth
 player, 502 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 17 Oct 2019
at 02:40
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 293):

I did. I make no plea of innocence, I just ask for mercy for me thinking slowly!
Narrator
 GM, 6919 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 18 Oct 2019
at 14:06
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 294):

The group prepares to leave.
Last call, any planned research on your objective, or are you heading out the gates?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 277 posts
Fri 18 Oct 2019
at 23:22
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC Been AWOL a couple days.  Owe you figures on food and such for Haveron's vrew, plus topping off the miscreants... Burke and Shroud.  Please keep the group moving and i will attempt to get this done over the weekend.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 156 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sat 19 Oct 2019
at 03:08
Re: Near Al Menir
He ensures he has food, sufficient medical supplies and bandages before reporting himself ready to move.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 21 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 19 Oct 2019
at 14:43
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
I rearranged my cash for Burke and Shroud so now they each have about 13 days of food.

Both are ready.

Berry
 player, 136 posts
 Mage
Sun 20 Oct 2019
at 04:15
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry will get 14 days (210$) of Elf Bread rations.

OOC: saving the 4cp for now and 140$. Responsibility! And thanks for the assist on finding it. :)

This message was last edited by the player at 04:17, Sun 20 Oct 2019.

Gareth
 player, 503 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 24 Oct 2019
at 09:12
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 295):

Heading out the gates impulsively. Did he get those extra two spells?
Narrator
 GM, 6947 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 25 Oct 2019
at 20:55
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 300):

you got continual light and that was it.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 278 posts
Mon 28 Oct 2019
at 23:19
Re: Near Al Menir
Give Haveron and his 2 hirelings 2 weeks of food and then let's go.  Are you taking the references from DF in general or should I use another source for the purchase?  Regular food is good for him and his group.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 24 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 29 Oct 2019
at 00:02
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Both Burke and Shroud have about 13 days of food each.

Narrator
 GM, 6958 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 29 Oct 2019
at 02:04
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 302):

If food is the only concern, you head toward the gates, and there is a disruption as people are heading in for market day. You can hear shouting, and it is a very tight press.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:57, Tue 29 Oct 2019.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 157 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 29 Oct 2019
at 02:05
Re: Near Al Menir
I am thinking two weeks of food for a Lizard Man might need a small wagon to haul and draw a lot of flies ...  Then again Lizards often can get by with eating less too ...  we'll assume he has enough Freeze Dried Elf Rations for two weeks.
Narrator
 GM, 6960 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 29 Oct 2019
at 02:32
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 305):

Do you mean Lembas wafers, or freeze dried slices of elf?
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 158 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 29 Oct 2019
at 03:17
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 306):

LoL... yes... for sandwiches.   I will presume he has found enough lamb and beef to provide sufficient nutrition without depredating the  Elf population.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 279 posts
Tue 29 Oct 2019
at 19:38
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC Brings a whole new meaning to "Leg-o-Lass".....

I think we're ready to go boss.  I owe you accounting on food rations, but nothing else of importance needs to be done that I know of.

Narrator
 GM, 6962 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 30 Oct 2019
at 01:01
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 308):

As you move single file through the crowded market streets, overflowing  with vendors of spices, produce, and bricabrac, you can hear a distressed cry from one side.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 159 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 30 Oct 2019
at 02:11
Re: Near Al Menir
The adept draws his sword and moves toward the noise.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 281 posts
Wed 30 Oct 2019
at 13:59
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron waves at Omar intending for him to protect Amelia, and then moves towards the sound.  He does not draw steel...yet.
Shroud
 player, 43 posts
Wed 30 Oct 2019
at 14:53
Re: Near Al Menir
At the sign of trouble Shroud's head turns to note the source of the disturbance but he doesn't seem bothered by the troubles of these city dwellers.  Its likely just another domestic dispute.  City people fighting over city resources or some such non sense.  But, when his group moves to investigate he follows along, bow in hand.


OOC:
Bow is out and ready but do not pull an arrow at this time.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 25 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 30 Oct 2019
at 14:55
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke moves along through the city happy to be getting into the wild when a cry erupts somewhere in the crowd.  Curious to see what's behind it he follows along.


OOC:
No weapons out.  Shield is on my back.

Berry
 player, 137 posts
 Mage
Fri 1 Nov 2019
at 03:13
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry tries to see what the commotion is, but she hopes she doesn't need to intervene.
Al'abalah
 NPC, 1 post
 Valdassyan ruffian
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 15:53
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 314):

Ahead you can see a little bitbof a circle forming. A brutish man with a half eaten apple in one hand has the other arm wrapped around a young woman, and is holding a knife. He takes another bite from the apple, and spits the seeds toward an older woman beside an apple cart.
Berry
 player, 138 posts
 Mage
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 19:29
Re: Near Al Menir
Sometimes Berry's Id and Superego are in harmony. Such as when her Id advises laziness and her Superego advises caution. In this instance they are in conflict. Her Id is saying Intervene! Save the lady from the asshole thug! while her Superego is saying This is dangerous and you should slink away.

Unfortunately, Berry's Id wins out as it tends to do in stressful situations.

Berry steps forward with one hand at her side and one raised close to her heart. The raised hand is ready to fire if it becomes a fight, but she doesn't want that. "Hey, man how about you let the lady go and then everyone goes their separate ways and we don't have any violence today? Then everyone can laugh at how silly they were a few weeks down the road."

Her Superego is now saying You will be the laughing stock of the entire afterlife if you die here!

OOC: Diplomacy roll attempt!
15:27, Today: Berry rolled 13 using 3d6.  Berry used Diplomacy-12.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 26 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 21:48
Re: Near Al Menir
Bechazruhk instantly sees the bully in action but the wild hippy has come to realize that some things are not always as they seem.   Burke steps forward but stays well out of it.


OOC:
Hands are empty.  Let Berry do her thing and hope this can be resolved with words.

Shroud
 player, 44 posts
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 21:53
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud's demeanor changes slightly.  It has been clear that he has no love for city folk but this could get ugly in a hurry and his friends know that the man who calls himself Shroud is very protective of his friends.  As a precaution the man loads his bow but keeps it as not threatening as possible.


OOC:
Load an arrow but keep it pointed down near my feet for now.  Move slowly forward so that if needed I can get a short ranged and clear shot at the apple eating bully.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 160 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sun 3 Nov 2019
at 00:04
Re: Near Al Menir
The adept is surprised to see Berry do something other than breathe and eat, but he agrees with her stance, he stand behind her and slightly off to her left with his great sword in front of him pointed straight up with the hilt at chest height on him.   He nods at her words  Ssshe Sssspeaksss wissssdom.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 282 posts
Sun 3 Nov 2019
at 18:54
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron notes that Berry, infamously adverse to doing much of anything she doesn't have to, suddenly has taken an interest in what is going on in the market.  While he considers this interaction none of their business, he does support Berry's right to get involved if she feels it appropriate.  He steps behind her, with his hand on his sword, but waits to see how things develop.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 7 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Sun 3 Nov 2019
at 19:04
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar is traveling with the group when he hears the commotion.  He doesn't pay it much attention at first, until he sees a woman being held at knife point by a man.  Instinctively he steps forward, into the circle, with his hand on his sword.

"Your Sharaf suffers with this dishonorable act.  Who gives you the right to threaten the life of this woman??"

Berry
 player, 140 posts
 Mage
Sun 3 Nov 2019
at 23:00
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry whispers "What's a Sharaf?"
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 161 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sun 3 Nov 2019
at 23:41
Re: Near Al Menir
No hear thissss word before
Al'abalah
 NPC, 2 posts
 Valdassyan ruffian
Mon 4 Nov 2019
at 22:16
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 321):

"What is this? A woman dares tell me what to do? That makes two, and a foreign bitch needs the same! And you? I know you from a stain on the wall. My honor? You keep company with beasts and foreign devils. Like these women, you forget your place in the world."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:04, Tue 05 Nov 2019.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 162 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Mon 4 Nov 2019
at 23:01
Re: Near Al Menir
The adept takes a half step to the left front so he is on line with Berry ... he says nothing, but turns the sword edge from side to side to front to rear, point still up.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 9 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 20:29
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar smirks at the man's response.  "You'd do well to listen to the woman, you son of a mule.  She'd have you dead or worse inside of 2 steps.  Now, unhand the lady and behave in a civilized manner, and whatever dispute you have can be resolved peacefully.  Holding a knife to a woman's throat like that is the mark of a coward."
Berry
 player, 141 posts
 Mage
Wed 6 Nov 2019
at 03:16
Re: Near Al Menir
The man quickly reveals himself as the exact sort of person Berry would want to put in his place.

Overselling me a bit Berry whispers, before speaking up to the man Look, your outnumbered and we all either have magical firepower, plenty of experience with weapons, or both. The only way this ends well for you is if you just peacefully walk away.
Al'abalah
 NPC, 3 posts
 Valdassyan ruffian
Wed 6 Nov 2019
at 22:54
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 326):

The ruffian withdraws the knife, and shoves the woman to the side, where she falls, even as he yanks off her head scarf, further dishonoring her.

He points the knife at Omar.
" Come at me then, he who takes the advice of women over that of the prophet."
Omar El Nasib
 player, 10 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Wed 6 Nov 2019
at 23:16
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar's eyes go wide as the man casually dishonors the woman, as if she is nothing more than an animal. He instinctively takes a step towards him, furious at the dishonor.  But he has a choice to make, and instead of ritual combat he chooses instead to honor the woman.

He quickly moves to her side, and turns his back on her to avert his gaze from her dishonor.  As he does, yells "FORM A SHIELD!", intending to lead the people in the area to protect the woman from view.

OOC I saw the soccer team do this in that youtube video, and it was super awesome that they did.  Perhaps not the most appropriate thing for Omar to do (as a man), but I'm a bit charmed by the gesture in real life.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 283 posts
Wed 6 Nov 2019
at 23:20
Re: Near Al Menir
As he sees this play out, Haveron cannot help but be touched by the gesture.  He doesn't know the culture, or the local customs, but he can see that Omar has taken the high road in the moment.  As a measure of respect, he steps forward, with his sword now drawn.  His voice is as cold as the winter's snow as he glares at the man, and his icy stare contains nothing but malice.

"My companion has chosen to honor the woman who you treated as a dog.  He deserves to be honored for the gesture.  I challenge you to ritual combat in his stead.  Choose your weapon wisely."
Berry
 player, 143 posts
 Mage
Thu 7 Nov 2019
at 01:46
Re: Near Al Menir
"Pretty sure he is following the prophet's advice. At least better than... " Berry sighs. It had turned into Male Ritual Combat. Formal Male Ritual Combat. Now she wanted someone to rant to. She goes over to help the woman up. "Well, its turned into some absurd male pride thing now. " she tries to keep one eye on the thug too, ready to start blasting if she needed to intervene.

Berry offers an Elf Bread cracker to the woman. "Want one?" Berry's Super-Ego is metaphorically crying.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 163 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 7 Nov 2019
at 03:48
Re: Near Al Menir
The adept turns the blade to flat and strikes to hit the mans head.
Gareth
 player, 504 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 7 Nov 2019
at 05:35
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 307):

Gareth hangs back through all of this, but he readies a spell just in case this idiot thinks fighting is a good idea, muttering something about the man being sick...

Gareth can make his own food, so he travels light, with just a few rations for emergencies.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:04, Thu 07 Nov 2019.

Al'abalah
 NPC, 4 posts
 Valdassyan ruffian
Thu 7 Nov 2019
at 23:14
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 333):

Ooc: I thought our wayward martial artist would show and deal with this, but no.

The man drops into a fighting crouch, his eyes on Omar, just in time for the adep's greatsword to skim over his turban.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:18, Thu 07 Nov 2019.

Gareth
 player, 505 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 02:45
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Al'abalah (msg # 334):

Gareth casually moves around behind the individual, transferring the odd faint green glow to the end of his Jo.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 27 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 14:39
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Burke and Shroud continue to do the same.  Them getting involved would seem to be overkill so they will continue with their previous instructions.  Burke is going to simply watch but be ready to intervene.  Shroud has his bow ready and an arrow knocked, but there is no tension and its pointed at the ground.

Omar El Nasib
 player, 11 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 15:19
Re: Near Al Menir
Once in position, Omar draws steel, but holds himself in a purely defensive posture.  In his eyes protecting the woman's honor is more important than chastising the man.  His companions could do that well enough without him.

OOC All out defense parry/dodge if attacked.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:20, Fri 08 Nov 2019.

Ryojin
 player, 17 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 16:12
Re: Near Al Menir
Al'abalah:
In reply to Gareth (msg # 333):

Ooc: I thought our wayward martial artist would show and deal with this, but no.


The man drops into a fighting crouch, his eyes on Omar, just in time for the adep's greatsword to skim over his turban.



OOC: Right on queue.

Ryojin watched as things played out, measuring the brute who was threatening the woman, seeing how he moved, talked, acted. Ryojin puts himself between the man and the group protecting the woman.

He watches as the Adept swings his sword and barely misses the mans head, looks like he can move some. He does not like ganging up on one person, it does nothing to further his training.

"If you all would allow me. I wish to take care of this one, alone. To show you my worth."

He slides his left foot in an inward semi-circle forward, and raises his hands in an almost lazy fashion. His left hand forward, arm still bent, and his right hand almost resting under his chin. He dips his hips slightly, weight on the balls of his feet. His eyes seem to widden and narrow at the same time, a small grin on his face. He is easily within reach of the man, or more importantly, the man is within reach of him.


OOC: begin to evaluate the man, if I can get up to 3 then yay!

Al'abalah
 NPC, 5 posts
 Valdassyan ruffian
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 16:43
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 338):

"Another foreign dog! And this one forgets his shiv! Luckily, I have not."

Suddenly, he stabs at Ryojin, inflicting 4 points impaling unless blocked or dodged.
Ryojin
 player, 18 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 17:06
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Al'abalah (msg # 339):

Ryojin waits till the last moment, when the blade is moving past his reach, he slides his forward hand to the mans wrist and shifts it slightly to the outside while stepping back, following the mans flow. the blade is barely an inch away from him when all is said and done.

With this distance Ryojin lets out a Kiai with his chi, attempting to stun the man.


ooc:

Retreating Karate parry 14, success by 0.

Quick Contest: Kiai vs. target’s Will. I succeeded by 4 (Kiai 14).

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 164 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 18:12
Re: Near Al Menir
He recovers and is ready to swing again with the edge this time, but holds back as the human in funny white clothes intercedes.
Al'abalah
 NPC, 6 posts
 Valdassyan ruffian
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 20:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 340):

His ears ringing from the shout in his face, the man stares vacantly.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 12 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 20:33
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC .....must....not......teabag....
Gareth
 player, 506 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 23:47
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 343):

Gareth picks this moment to step forward and strike the offender from behind, the dull green glow on his Jo ominous as he strikes well.

"Why do they always do it the hard way?"

he mutters as the Jo strikes well...
Berry
 player, 145 posts
 Mage
Sat 9 Nov 2019
at 01:28
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry giggles and mutters "Not interfering. I'll get yelled at for not being honorable or something." as she continues to watch the fight and nibble on her elf cracker
Al'abalah
 NPC, 7 posts
 Valdassyan ruffian
Mon 11 Nov 2019
at 00:25
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 344):

The spell seems to be shrugged off, but the jo may do swing/ crush damage.

It is getting a little tight aroundvthis palooka.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 13 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Mon 11 Nov 2019
at 22:12
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar holds his position, sword held in a defensive posture, and with his back to the woman.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 58 posts
 Agent about town
Tue 12 Nov 2019
at 01:03
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 347):

Amelia steps forward to shield the woman, and gives her a spare head scarf from her pack.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:43, Wed 13 Nov 2019.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 28 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 12 Nov 2019
at 16:33
Re: Near Al Menir
Bechazruhk watches in amazement as the newcomer, still trying to understand these people, their values and his role within the group.  But with so many bodies dealing with the bully Burke satisfies himself with watching.


OOC:
Stand at the fringe and be ready for support.  Also keep an eye on the crowd to deal with any surprise factors.

Shroud
 player, 45 posts
Tue 12 Nov 2019
at 18:00
Re: Near Al Menir
Perhaps his drawn weapon is overkill but Shroud does not like city dwellers or bullies.  The actions of this man towards the woman makes his blood boil.  Still, he isn't ready to open fire in a crowded market without the man drawing first blood.  Inside his head Shrouad is begging, pleading with the bully to draw blood so Shroud can put a few arrows in his chest.


OOC:
Bow is loaded and readied but pointed down.  If the bully attacks first and I have a clear shot, take it.


Ryojin
 player, 20 posts
 Martial artist
Tue 12 Nov 2019
at 19:13
Re: Near Al Menir

ooc: I am assuming he is still mentally stunned.


You see Ryojin's fist glow faintly, the energy focused on his knuckles. He strikes at the man, aiming at where his vitals would be.



ooc: karate punch to the vitals imbued with small Piercing strike. Success on imbue, critical success on attack! Double shock penalty.

8 damage before any DR, 24 injury total if he fails a defense -4 roll.

I did not mean to kill him if he dies lol.


Al'abalah
 NPC, 8 posts
 Valdassyan ruffian
Wed 13 Nov 2019
at 21:47
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 351):

The man gapes in astonishment, as blood begins to well from his mouth.
HE slumps forward, pulling at the martial Artist's Gi, and collapses onto the pavement. blood runs down Ryojin's arm, and into a puddle at his feet.


There is a great murmur in the crowd, with much pointing and disapproving shouts from the periphery.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 284 posts
Wed 13 Nov 2019
at 22:30
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron gasps in astonishment at what he's seeing, and quietly whispers to himself "...what have you done...?"

OOC Presumably Haveron can see that Ryojin has punched through the man's chest, or enough of it to know this is a very serious injury.
Berry
 player, 146 posts
 Mage
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 03:52
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry stands up clapping with the cracker in her mouth, before she takes the cracker out and cheers. "Woo! Good job! Not like in a cosmic sense, but woo! You sent that ass to hell. I hope he had his afterlife in order. probably not" Berry feels a little bad about cheering, since that man really probably didn't. Then she shrugs. That guy really was an ass. She's gonna put this in the win column.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 165 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 03:55
Re: Near Al Menir
The adept pushes all aside and squats by the downed man, hissing and moving his hands...
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 29 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 16:10
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke stands by idly, unsure what to do within his new group.  But he does notice the crowd murmuring.  Will it be good or bad, he isnt sure.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:54, Thu 14 Nov 2019.

Shroud
 player, 46 posts
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 16:12
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud does little at the sight of the man falling inert other than replace the arrow back into his quiver.  A sly smile crosses his face.  Finally they have served just desserts to one of these selfish intolerant city dwellers.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 286 posts
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 18:11
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron recognizes what the Adept is doing and steps next to him in a casual but defensive position, with his hand held palm down in a 'relax' sort of gesture.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 166 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 22:41
Re: Near Al Menir
I think it wasssss not enough!
Jasmine
 NPC, 1 post
 Valdassyan woman
Fri 15 Nov 2019
at 17:31
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 348):

The woman accepts the scarf and quickly wraps her hair and stands.



The attempt at healing the brute was too late.


The murmuring in the crowd has increased, and some of the fingers are now pointing at Ysslithniss.

on the far side of the square, the crowd pulls away as someone approaches.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 287 posts
Fri 15 Nov 2019
at 21:20
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron reaches down silently and touches the Adept on the shoulder to get his attention, gesturing at the commotion so the lizard man can focus on what seems to be happening.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 167 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 15 Nov 2019
at 22:31
Re: Near Al Menir
He stands ... I could not heal him enough he says loudly while appearing to speak to Haveron.
Gareth
 player, 507 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 16 Nov 2019
at 08:39
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 362):

Gareth steps back, his hand and Jo in the air to indicate his lack of involvement but says nothing, watching others reactions.
Mbarz Bialsiyf
 NPC, 1 post
 Valdassyan Swordsman
Sat 16 Nov 2019
at 14:53
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Jasmine (msg # 360):

The crowd parts as a man approaches,  and draws a scimitar, which he twirls about, demonstrating superior skill with the blade. His eyes lock with the bloody fisted Ryojin and the Adept, whose hand also is bloodied.
Ryojin
 player, 23 posts
 Martial artist
Sat 16 Nov 2019
at 18:50
Re: Near Al Menir
Ryojin watches as the man slumps to the floor, and stops moving. He takes a step back from the forming puddle and with a slow breath bows to the fallen man, showing his respect. Though it was unexpected for the man to be so weak, maybe Ryojin should have held back more of his strength? But then that would not do anything but hinder his training. The dead man knew what he was doing, coming at him with a blade, intent to kill, he knew he could have died. If that thought never crossed his mind, then he was a fool, a dead fool.

Ryojin watched The Lizard man kneel before the man, placing his hands on him. Did he think to revive him? That would be best, after all, what better lesson is there then coming back from being killed because of your own shortsightedness? But, unfortunately it looks like he failed.

As the new man approached, Ryojin faced him.

Here is a man that knows how to fight with a blade proper. He thinks.

Ryojin says nothing, but keeps his eyes on the newcomer.
Gareth
 player, 508 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 16 Nov 2019
at 19:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 365):

Gareth back further away toward Berry. This was starting to look like a problem. Then he has an idea.

"Maybe I can revive him? Should I try?"
Berry
 player, 148 posts
 Mage
Sat 16 Nov 2019
at 23:39
Re: Near Al Menir
"Do you have enough power for a resurrection? Or a resurrection potion or something? " Berry asks, rather surprised.
Gareth
 player, 510 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 00:05
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 367):

"Resurrection? Just as I resurrected my family and friend when my village was razed as a child. I do...though they were never quite the same afterwards. Not as talkative... something about the particular resurrection spell I know. But at least they were around for a few more years, until some bloody minded adventurer came through and killed them all in that name of some f&%£ing god and took everything we had, leaving me to fend for myself."

His mind seems to wander down memory lane...
Mbarz Bialsiyf
 NPC, 2 posts
 Valdassyan Swordsman
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 16:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 368):

The swordsman assumes a ready stance, and makes a "come at me, bro" gesture with his off hand.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 168 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 20:13
Re: Near Al Menir
He looks at the new swordsman and adjusts his stance so he can come on guard quickly if this guy attacks  Not enough death yet? How many more you need?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 290 posts
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 23:07
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron wants a minute to think about things.  He really needs a minute, because everything in front of him is escalating far to quickly for him to really have a measured response.  He had to act now, or he would not be able to act.  Unfortunately, he couldn't leave his people exposed.  Omar did what he felt was right, and it was time for him to act on behalf of his people.

With a measured flourish of his 2-handed sword, Haveron steps between the would-be combatants, coming on guard.  In his loudest and sharpest command voice, he almost yells "STOP!  THERE SHALL BE NO MORE BLOODSHED TODAY!"  His eyes focus directly on the man with the scimitar, while he follows up that comment by addressing the croud, still in his command voice.

"This man dishonored this woman, and we have protected her honor.  This man attempted to strike an unarmed man with his knife, and has paid the price for that attack.  My man defended himself honorably."

Haveron then changes his attention, even while keeping his eyes on the man with the scimitar.  He now addresses the people in his group.  "Time to go.  Omar, please see to the health and safety of the woman.  Amelia, you have traveled the town the most.  Please lead the rest of us to the gate."
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 60 posts
 Agent about town
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 23:13
Re: Near Al Menir
Amelia touches the woman on the shoulder in a kind and supportive sort of way.  She looks at her compassionately, and whispers to her "You can come with us, if you are not safe here."

She then stands up and raises her hand so everyone can see her location, before waving her hand at the edge of the market. She speaks loudly so everyone can hear her, and uses her right hand for the gesture: "THIS WAY."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:13, Sun 17 Nov 2019.

Omar El Nasib
 player, 14 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 23:23
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar looks a bit surprised when his new boss takes command of the situation in such an imposing way.  However, after a split second with his eyes flared open a bit, he turns to the woman behind him and says "I will protect you.  Stay behind me."

This was Omar's job.  To protect the people that Haveron could not.  It was usually Amelia, but since she was not currently in need, the dishonored woman was now his charge.
Ryojin
 player, 26 posts
 Martial artist
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 23:45
Re: Near Al Menir

This man has a voice, perhaps with training his kiai will be something useful. Ryojin thinks of Haveron.

Knowing Haveron would probably be the last to actually take his leave he thought it best to wait till then before moving out as well, lest they get attacked.
Gareth
 player, 511 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 18 Nov 2019
at 03:22
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 374):

Gareth shrugs. His offer not accepted, he also moves to leave, a little nervously.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 169 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Mon 18 Nov 2019
at 03:25
Re: Near Al Menir
He brings his word up on guard as he steps back  I have your left sssside.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 30 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Mon 18 Nov 2019
at 19:32
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Nothing new from Burke or Shroud.  Burke isnt certain what to do as he's the noobie, and Shroud is happy to function as support by watching the flanks.

Berry
 player, 149 posts
 Mage
Mon 18 Nov 2019
at 23:08
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry feels slightly stupid when she figures out what Gareth meant. Of course, he's not actually that power. "Gareth, let's not do that sort of resurrection. I think that would inflame things even more."

Berry watches a little more before turning away. "More stupid talk of honor. Did he really just say their won't be more bloodshed while waving a sword around?"  Berry says to the woman who had her scarf stolen. "You weren't dishonored by that jackass. The only person he dishonored is himself. You did good. I swear, not all men are this stupid." Berry then moves off in the direction Amelia indicates, shaking her head.
Jasmine
 NPC, 2 posts
 Valdassyan woman
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 00:25
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 372):

"I need to stay wih my grandmother at her fruit stall. Thank you, and may fortune smile upon you. What are you going to do about him?
She points with her chin at the swordsman, who seems intent on blocking anyone from leaving the area.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 15 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 00:47
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar purses hi lips at the question, but responds evenly.  "We will leave.  If he attacks or interferes, he will be dealt with.  But we will not be the aggressors.

Where is your fruit stand?  I can guide you there safely."

Mbarz Bialsiyf
 NPC, 3 posts
 Valdassyan Swordsman
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 00:48
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 380):

"You have cut down this man with your sorceries! Prepare to taste steel!"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 292 posts
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 00:56
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron looks at the man with a gaze bred of absolute confidence.  He speaks in a measured tone, stern but not inherently threatening.

"We protected the honor of this woman.  This man attacked us, and we defended ourselves.  Now we are leaving.  If you intervene you will be dealt with as harshly as this man."  He gestures at the body lying on the ground.  "We have no quarrel with you, unless you choose to start one with us."

Haveron then gestures with his head for people to start following Amelia, while he steps between the man and their exit path.
Gareth
 player, 512 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 01:26
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 382):

Gareth sighs.

"Not sure I could make things worse, but enflaming his does sound a good idea. Or I could in flame him like I did with the bandit! Now that would be using sorcery, but what happened to that idiot was just a hard whack. People here have poor ideas of reality, it seems."
Ryojin
 player, 27 posts
 Martial artist
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 02:09
Re: Near Al Menir
Listening to everyone, Ryojin speaks up.

"I do not know sorcery, I am simply a master of my own body. What I can do, anyone can, with training."

He waits for everyone else to start leaving before following, knowing the man is out for him.
Gareth
 player, 513 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 04:27
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 384):

Gareth leaves with Berry...talking as he goes.
Mbarz Bialsiyf
 NPC, 4 posts
 Valdassyan Swordsman
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 16:56
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 382):

"Then have at you!"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 294 posts
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 22:45
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron maintains his position between the rest of his group, sliding to the side as Gareth and Berry follow Amelia.  He assumes the Adept has enough training to move with him so they do not end up entangled with an angry swordsman approaching.

As Gareth slides by him, he says quietly "Gareth, prepare a diversion, just in case".
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 170 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 23:00
Re: Near Al Menir
The Adept stays off to Haveron's left rear, his great sword in the on guard position.
Ryojin
 player, 28 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 20 Nov 2019
at 03:45
Re: Near Al Menir
Ryojin stands at Haveron's right side out of reach seeing as the man is attacking now.

He was already evaluating the man, waiting for the right chance to strike.


ooc: evalutating
Mbarz Bialsiyf
 NPC, 5 posts
 Valdassyan Swordsman
Wed 20 Nov 2019
at 16:16
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 387):


The swordsman stabs at you, doing 5 points impaling before DR unless parried or dodged, and prepares to parry your attack

Rolls please.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 295 posts
Wed 20 Nov 2019
at 23:47
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron had to credit the man.  He had skill.  His attempt was a good one, and Haveron had to actually put effort into knocking the sword aside.  Unfortunately, he was far more skilled than his assailant.  With the flip of his wrists, he knocked the man off balance enough to create an opening, and took it.  In the blink of an eye, his sword was buried in the man's chest.

Haveron's mouth turns down in a frown as he does this.  Clearly he takes no pleasure in it.
Narrator
 GM, 7048 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 16:25
Re: Near Al Menir
Anticlimacticly, the man drops his sword as he falls limply, and hangs on Havero's greatsword.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 296 posts
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 16:36
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron lets out a long sigh, obviously saddened by the loss of life.  He pulls out his sword, and lets the man fall to the ground.  Kneeling next to him, he closes the man's eyelids, gently, and then bows his head as he touches the man on the shoulder.  Then he wipes his blade on the man's clothes and puts it in his holster.  Finally, Haveron takes the man's valuables, stands up, and hands them to the dishonored woman as he follows Amelia out of the market.
Alsayidat Aleajuz
 NPC, 1 post
 Older Valdassyan woman
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 16:39
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 393):

The old apple seller graciously  accepts his sword and pouch of coin. The crowd breaks, although you hear distant shouting.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 296 posts
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 17:58
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron is of the opinion that the commotion he hears will not be good for them.

He quickly moves to the front of the group, where he belongs.  As he moves past Amelia, he states to the group "Let's move. Amelia, guide me please."

This message was last updated by the player at 17:58, Thu 21 Nov 2019.

Amelia Montaigne
 player, 63 posts
 Agent about town
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 17:59
Re: Near Al Menir
Amelia moves to the side as Haveron passes, but throws out her arm and says "This way."
Omar El Nasib
 player, 16 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 18:01
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar notes the commotion, and agrees with Haveron that it's time to go.  As the large man passes, Omar steps aside and watches the exchange approvingly.  Then, he executes a hasty bow to the woman, and spins on his heel to follow the rest of the group.
Ryojin
 player, 29 posts
 Martial artist
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 18:16
Re: Near Al Menir
Watching the aftermath, Ryojin takes note of Haveron's honor for the woman and approves. As they move out he follows suit.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 171 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 18:58
Re: Near Al Menir
He is impressed by the leaders actions, and moves to join in the group leaving.
Berry
 player, 150 posts
 Mage
Fri 22 Nov 2019
at 05:32
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry can only shake her head at the foolish waste of lives. Idiots she thinks to herself. The moment turned suddenly somber and she knows enough to not break it.
Gareth
 player, 514 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 22 Nov 2019
at 06:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 400):

Gareth moves away quickly, looking for anything burning that could provide smoke to cover their escape. Lots of smoke...
Shroud
 player, 47 posts
Fri 22 Nov 2019
at 19:26
Re: Near Al Menir
The quiet man known only as Shroud smiles as they pass not one but two men dead or dying in the street.  City folk.  Arrogant, pompous, militaristic.  They got exactly what they deserve.  The archer is tempted to spit on the bleeding men as they pass but with the shouting agitated crowd moving he thinks it best to not kick the hornets nest.


OOC:
Follow along.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 31 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 22 Nov 2019
at 19:29
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke grimaces at the gruesome sight as the men, one by one, challenge and fall.  He is torn.  On the one hand this group has skill.  His employer certainly has the goods to back up stakes in work.  But did these men really need to die?   The druid is no pacifist but these men were dispatched without much fuss.  Is this the way of his new working group, to simply kill anything that opposes them?  Time will tell the nature lover tells himself.


OOC:
Follow along.

Narrator
 GM, 7059 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 25 Nov 2019
at 22:39
Re: Near Al Menir
You make it out the gates with out attracting the ire of the watch, but not before seeing both men's shoes stolen from their feet. The local code focuses a great deal on hospitality,  but some things are viewed pragmatically, it would seem.



Ooc: a bad roll on a high skill parry brought us to this rapid resolution of combat.
Gareth
 player, 515 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 25 Nov 2019
at 23:03
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 404):

It was not the waste of the shoes that Gareth regretted. Those bodies could have been put to work too. But better to avoid the trouble. He passed the city gates with the rest...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 297 posts
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 00:06
Re: Near Al Menir
Once they leave the confines of the town, Haveron stops the group a short way out of town.  Without thinking, he out of habit assumes an air of authority, since it's his customary approach to situations like this.

"That was a difficult situation back there.  You all handled yourselves well, and I appreciate the way you worked together.  We could have had an angry mob chase us out of town if we weren't careful.

It's going to take some time to figure out each other, and that was no way to start things off.  As an example, Ryojin, I don't think anyone here questions your prowess with your fists any more.  However, I don't know that you needed to kill that man either.  I would have preferred you knock him cold instead, so he had to live with the humiliation.  In times of war, it's often necessary to kill your enemy.  In the middle of the town square, with everyone watching, I think it's probably not the best decision.  Maybe that was accidental, I don't know, but we stuck with you regardless of your intentions.

We're heading down the road about a day or so, to that path we saw on the way in.  Amelia, I'd like you to lead the way with Gareth, since he also noticed it was there.  I'd like the Adept to go with you two in case of danger.

The rest of you can walk in the middle somewhere.

I'm going to drop back a bit and talk this over with Omar.  I'm not sure why he reacted that way back in the square.  It's probably a cultural norm that I don't understand.  If we're going to go back through this town, I'd like to know the foreign customs and habits better, so we don't get entangled like that again."


Haveron will pause for questions at this point.

OOC Seems appropriate to stop and debrief, even if it's for a minute.  We can pause here or move on.  Just wanted to provide the opportunity.
Berry
 player, 151 posts
 Mage
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 02:00
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry is somewhat relieved when she doesn't get chewed out. Still she figures it is a good idea to apologize anyway. She does cringe a bit at the knock someone out idea.

"You can't just safely knock someone out. Not without magic at least. If someone comes at you with a knife your goal is living. That said, thanks for having my back everyone. That was stupid of me. Sometimes my anger gets the better of me."
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 172 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 02:24
Re: Near Al Menir
He just nods and moves to the front beside Amelia.
Gareth
 player, 516 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 04:22
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 408):

"I have a whole world of pain without killing him, but I doubt it would be more popular. For that matter I have a whole world of pain AFTER we kill him to, but that does not even make me popular with you guys, so I refrain. But really, if they are assholes, why should they not be subject to so some useful punishment after death?"
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 173 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 17:49
Re: Near Al Menir
Violatesssss Godssss Teachingssss to do thisssss
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 32 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 19:19
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke follows along the speech given by their leader and he approves.  Bechazruhk is a lover of nature.  Plants, animals, the wind, water and sky.  This also includes sentient life though he is not a pacifist.  He chimes in.  ”Glad to hear you people aren't in the business of wholesale slaughter.”
Shroud
 player, 48 posts
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 19:20
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud sneers at the dirty hippy.  ”They got what they asked for.  And did you notice the shoes?  Something about a city changes people into animals.  They'll eat each other alive if it means their survival.  Dont tell me you're going to cry over them?”  Shrouds voice is full of indignation.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 33 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 19:21
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke frowns as he can see despite how good his logic and facts might be he has no chance to win this debate against a man who's mind is already made up.  But he says his final peace anyway.  ”I met very few that I think deserve to die and all I'm saying is I'm not sure they did.  But, they were fools.  The price of gambling with death, is loosing.”


OOC:
Ready to move on.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:21, Tue 26 Nov 2019.

Narrator
 GM, 7067 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 20:43
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 413):

The path through the coffee fields and into the foothils is fairly well maintained.  In the far distance, you can see the shephardess in blue, and her armor clad paramor, along with their flock. Given t by e size of them, they must be quite far away.
You are making slightly better time than the caravan, but you will still need to camp for the night before ascending into the mountains
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 298 posts
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 21:26
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC As Haveron and Omar have the same (stupid a....) player, I ha dthem drop back and talk off camera.  Once Haveron is done, he will take the lead with Gareth, and free Amelia to walk back with the group.  He will prefer she stay around Omar in case of trouble, but that's a preference and not a requirement.

Probably a good idea to have Burke close to the front as we get to the cutoff and need someone good in the outdoors.

Rear guard should be Ryojin and Shroud.  Ryojin can respond quickly to a threat since he wears no armor, and Shroud will want to be away from the action far enough to be a missile platform.  Plus I suspect he's a fairly alert fella.   :)

Ryojin
 player, 30 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 27 Nov 2019
at 15:00
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron Stormwal:
"...It's going to take some time to figure out each other, and that was no way to start things off.  As an example, Ryojin, I don't think anyone here questions your prowess with your fists any more.  However, I don't know that you needed to kill that man either.  I would have preferred you knock him cold instead, so he had to live with the humiliation.  In times of war, it's often necessary to kill your enemy.  In the middle of the town square, with everyone watching, I think it's probably not the best decision.  Maybe that was accidental, I don't know, but we stuck with you regardless of your intentions..."


Ryojin bows in acknowledgment, what he meant to do and what happened were different.

" Thank you for sticking with me and acknowledging my skills. If the man had come at me without a weapon then I would have treated him as I would a child who is angry. He came at me with a weapon, and if you fight with a weapon then that means you are willing to kill with a weapon, and that means you are willing to die. It is one lesson people never learn until its too late. Though I did not mean to strike him down with that first blow, the result would have been the same either way, I do not hold back against those that choose to wield weapons to solve problems. For if I do, then I might as well end my own life to not dirty their weapon. Not to say that I am willing to lower myself to that of such petty weaklings, I say this so you may understand that when a person challenges with a weapon I show them the respect of not holding back, that I accept my death may happen in their hands.

Though, I guess when such events happen again, I could step aside and let someone else handle it if you wish. I try not to stain my Gi with needless blood."



ooc: I am ok with rear guard.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 299 posts
Wed 27 Nov 2019
at 17:00
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron acknowledges Ryojin's words and actions with a bow of his own.

"Wise words, and true.  But there is a larger picture to see beyond just the man and his knife.  You are a foreigner there, more foreign than the rest of us save Gareth, and maybe the Adept.  People fear what they do not know, and what happened there could have been interpreted as cultural, racial, or social, instead of being just a disagreement between men.  Sometimes these things are more about perception than they are about truth, especially for the more prideful.  I would urge you to proceed with caution if we find ourselves in another situation like this in the future."

OOC Couldn't resist Gareth.  :)
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 34 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 19:18
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke seems to feel more and more at ease with this group with each passing hour.  But passing through the big gates reminds him of something they've been avoiding and he makes his mind to speak with Haveron soon.

As they clear the city by a good margin Bechazruhk decides it is time to call his friend.  Its about that time that their leader announces to Burke that his spot will be up front.  The nature lover chuckles.  ”Well Cap'n, if'n you want someone good with the outdoors there's no one better th'n Feylan.  Gimme a minute an' I'll see if he's about.”

The dirty hippy slows his walk so that he can concentrate.  He begins chanting and moving his hands about in a complex pattern of finger waving and hand dancing.  ”Oh great spirit, I call to you mighty Feylan.  Honor me with your presence.  Aid me in preserving the wild, protecting natural life and healing the meek.  This is my pledge.”

Once his ritual is complete Burke moves to his new superior.  ”Say Cap'n.  You never did tell me what I'm doin' here.  What you need us fer anyway?”


OOC:
Feylan is a large Timber Wolf, mostly grey with streaks of black.
 

Shroud
 player, 49 posts
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 19:20
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud simply nods and takes his place at the rear of the group.


OOC:
Yup, Shroud has a pretty good Perception.

Bow is out and ready.  Bow is empty.
 

Feylan
 player, 1 post
 Timber Wolf
Sat 30 Nov 2019
at 17:16
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 418):

The grass rustles as if something was passing through, and footprints form in the soft ground, which start to fill in with smoke, eventually forming the shape of a wolf. Who then cocks their head to look at Burke.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 300 posts
Mon 2 Dec 2019
at 20:32
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron watches the dirty woodsman work for a moment, then nods in approval after he sees the large wolf approach the group.  He drops to one knee and reaches out a hand in what he believes to be a normal gesture of friendship to a dog.  He isn't sure if it might be appropriate for a wolf, but it was his best guess.

As he does this, Haveron responds.  "We are here to investigate a path, which appears to be magically guarded so the common folk will not even notice it..."

OOC Basically, the path leads to a Wizard's tower or something of that nature.  The original plan was to investigate it, but I think there was a lot more too the story as it developed.  Unfortunately,  it predates my time as Haveron's driver, so I'll let the GM or an interested party fill in the details.  I couldn't find it after looking for 15 minutes or so. 
Gareth
 player, 517 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 3 Dec 2019
at 01:18
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 421):

Gareth take the opportunity to raise a point that seems to have been niggling for some time.

"Sometimes a foreign perspective is best. We are here to find a tower that has apparently been secreted away by magic. It apparently holds wealth and is guarded by a demon or something.

Speaking of foreign perspectives, we left some perfectly good resources back there. I notice that people seem adverse to using bodies after the original occupants are finished with them, but I do not really understand why. Having friends around after they have passed away I would have thought to be a good thing, and I have had a lot of experience with that. For that matter, if your puppy dies, do you object to me animating him? A dog that size could be useful, even in undeath...and since you are not adverse to using him why let death spoil that?
"
Berry
 player, 152 posts
 Mage
Tue 3 Dec 2019
at 16:27
Re: Near Al Menir
"Someone else field this. I'm pretty sure no one wants me explaining." Berry says in response to Gareth's request.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 174 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 3 Dec 2019
at 18:15
Re: Near Al Menir
To raisse those now dead, rather than assssisssting them to next life is a great sssssin and un accsseptable.
Gareth
 player, 518 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 3 Dec 2019
at 20:40
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 424):

"I am pretty sure yhey have already departed. I just make use of the bodies they leave behind. Why is that a sin?"
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 175 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 00:04
Re: Near Al Menir
If they are gone through Final Ressst ... the body will not raize.
Gareth
 player, 519 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 03:30
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 426):

"So using magic to permanently kill someone is OK, but using their body when they are no longer using it is evil? If you serve a god who traps the soul to gain power for himself, I can see why final rest is in his interest, but it is not in the interest of the person. That is what final rest magic does, you know, right?"
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 35 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 07:20
Re: Near Al Menir
As if out of mist and magic a wolf takes form and then trots over to the dirty hippy.  Burke smiles and pats the beast following it up with a rub and a scratch.  He speaks to the large predator soothingly, translating the framework of the mission as explained by their leader Haveron.

But by the time the nature lover and his faithful companion are up to speed the strange man is talking about what to do with the body when Feylan is dead.   This acts like a sinkhole, dragging others into the debate it  would seem unwillingly.

By the end of the back and forth Burke glares at the strange man.  When there is enough of a pause for Burke to slip in he makes his opinion known.  To this point the dirty hippy has been calm, agreeable, polite, and happy go lucky for the most part.  Until now.  ”Feylan aint gonna die.  He and I been together a long time.  We seen a lot of scrapes together.  So if you dont mind, stop talking like he's already done breathing.“


OOC:
Sounds good Haveron.  Wizards tower and a hidden path.  That's good enough for me.  Got it.

Burke will explain to his companion the nature of what Feylan is doing here and our general mission.

Its pretty clear that Burke is not happy about talking about the death of his companion within minutes of Feylans appearance.  He will not engage in any future-death talk.
 

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 301 posts
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 16:21
Re: Near Al Menir
The whole discussion about necromancers and the use of their magic is unsettling to Haveron.  In fact he finds himself having a very strong emotional response, although it is well masked behind his eyes, so that none can see it.  After Burke gets done with his comment, Haveron steps in to end the conversation.

"Gareth, do not use that magic here unless I expressly give you permission to do so.  I am not willing to negotiate the point.  Let me explain why.

First, let me say I do understand your argument to a point.  From a completely logical point of view, you're saying dead people are tools, to be used like anything else.  They can lift things, move stuff, and do work that the rest of us have to do firsthand.  In a twisted sort of way I can see what you're saying.  However, in order to think that way, you have to have a sort of detachment from human emotion that the rest of us would consider to be evil.

In life, I get to choose what I do with my body, unless I am captured by enemies.  It would be no different in death.  I have a preference for how my body is handled after I die.  Now as a warrior, I will most likely die on the field of battle.  I accept that as a cost that goes along with the life I have chosen.  If that happens, I would ask the Adept or someone like him to provide a final rest for my body, so that I may sleep in peace.  It is a measure of respect for myself and for the afterlife that this should be done.

If I do manage to survive to old age, and my enemies cannot find me, I have a preference for how my body is handled.  My family had land, which I mean to regain one day.  If everything goes to plan, I will have the opportunity to die there naturally, where the rest of my family lost their lives.  I hope my children will engrave a gravestone there, so my life and my deeds can be remembered.

That's the real point you need to remember here.  I want people to remember me for my deeds and for my life.  I do not want them to know me as a shadow of myself, shambling around in a half-existance, doing whatever you bid me do.  I for one do not trust your judgement, and would want no part of whatever you might do.  Knowing you as I do, I can see that you do not respect life the same way as the rest of us do.

Beyond that, you do not have my permission to use my body after death, and I cannot give that permission after passing on.  If you have a willing subject I might consider that.  However, for those people back in the city...  You have not even considered their wishes, the wishes of their family, or asked their permission for your infernal magics.  I feel you do not respect the living in your fascination with death."


Haveron stops himself here.  He could feel the emotion creeping into his voice, and given the nature of the conversation that was probably appropriate.  The very thought of his family walking around as the undead turned his stomach.  He couldn't shake a certain level of horror at the thought, much less the real presence of someone with those skills present and standing in front of them.

As he takes a brief moment to regain his composure, Haveron takes a visual poll of the group to see where they fell on the issue.  Berry was hard to read, but did not seem too uncomfortable with the conversation.  That was disturbing in and of itself.  The Adept and Burke were definitely uncomfortable to almost the extent that Haveron was.  He didn't see anyone else that approved of the conversation.

Haveron could sense that a decision was required here.  Accepting the status quo was his prerogative as the leader of the group, but that didn't sit right with him.  Not when the people in the group could be subject to the horrible magic this man had somehow learned.  After a moment of consideration, Haveron continues, in less of a strained voice.

"Gareth, I thank you for sharing with us more of your nature.  Your perspective is different than ours.  Many of the people here are uncomfortable with your approach to life, and especially to death.  I have to respect their perspective too.  And that leaves me in a bit of a bind.  I can't ask them to travel with you and have to worry that your magic may someday raise them up again, against their wishes.

Speak your peace.  Then I will ask you to leave the group for a few minutes so we can discuss the subject amongst ourselves.  We have to decide as a group whether we want to continue traveling with you or not.  This is not a decision I can make for everyone.  They must make it for themselves.  It goes well beyond the trust they have given me as their leader in life.  It deals with how they will exist in death."


OOC Gareth might be a very good addition to the group Aegis is in.  They are far more...morally ambivalent.  I'm not sure this group will support Gareth, knowing he is a necromancer.  However, it's something that should be decided on the RP level, so I put it out there for the group to decide.  I think this is how someone in Haveron's position would react.  A mix of horror and fear.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 36 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 18:58
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Shroud is indifferent.  He sees the value of using men who are no longer living as tools.  To Shroud whats the difference between taking a horse out of the wild and subjecting it to a life as a pack animal.  Its a bit like slavery.  To Shroud there isn't much difference between that and animating a corpse to serve as a tool to aid the group.  After all the end result is it increases the groups chances of survival.

Burke has a different point of view.  While he doesn't consider the 'soul' issue as the Adept does, Burke is just creeped out by the walking dead.  How much he is creeped depends on what is animated and how its used.  Someone he never knew and just relegated to carrying packs would be ok.  Someone he knew and cared for, reanimated to say cook food and serve it, would be crossing many lines.

So if its coming to a vote both Shroud and Burke would vote that Gareth stay.  Shroud would say let the man do his work if it helps the group.  Burke would say that Gareth needs to ask first before animating, and that he needs to respect that no means no.
 

Berry
 player, 153 posts
 Mage
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 19:53
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry is a bit miffed by the explanations other people gave. "Because its creepy! The problem with animating the dead is its creepy! It weirds people out. And then they go and rationalize it. Urg, I should have fielded that one. "

She pauses then begins talking again.
"There is also  is a rational fear that if corpses are put to a productive use people will get murdered for their corpse. For example, if lords used necromancy they wouldn't need to keep as many serfs around, since they could kill the serfs and use zombies instead. "

OOC: Berry is okay with it.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 17 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 21:20
Re: Near Al Menir
"The walking dead are like unto Ghulae, the least of the djinn that rebelled against the call to prayer. They are pestilence and unrest, both a sickness and maneifestation of evil will. They are haram."
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 64 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 21:27
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 432):

"I am not too keen on using the dead, because your argument would also support eating them. I can understand turning the fallen of your enemy against them, but allowing people to bury their fallen is a basic human courtesy.  I know that back in Northport, the Hadereum would reanimate criminals as punishment, death plus hard labor, and that those who had willed their remains to be sold in order to provide for their families (or contracted with the guild to pay debts) did so willingly,  but random people who got stabbed don't have that choice. Of course, I hear you can ask them, and get service that way... if he speaks to the deceased, and give permission,  would the rest of you permit it?"
Gareth
 player, 520 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 02:11
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 433):

"After seeing all the evil emotions cause, you argument makes very little logical sense. I can ask before using someones body, but I don't see how it differs from looting the rest of their possessions. BI am happy to respect your wishes with your bodies, but if you want to be dictatorial and just decide what you want, fine. Disappointing, but fine.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 176 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 21:48
Re: Near Al Menir
Not do Ssssinsss ... then he sssstay. God forgivesssss much.
Ryojin
 player, 31 posts
 Martial artist
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 21:49
Re: Near Al Menir
The discussion confused Ryojin, he thought they were talking about what they needed to do, but everyone seemed more concerned about what Gareth said which he did not understand nor did he care about it. He never put much thought into the dead or what happens after one dies, he only cares about what he can do now to better his Art. Everyone is acting as if Gareth did something horrible and this does not help him in anyway, if he knew the group was so soft he would have left on his own.


"I do not follow what is happening, but what is happening does not help us achieve what we came to do. You all came this far with this man, only to now learn of what he can do, does it matter? If we die, then what happens after becomes someone else problem. It would only mean my Art was not good enough."



ooc: Ryojin does not care either way, if it comes down to a split he votes Gareth stays.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 307 posts
Fri 6 Dec 2019
at 00:32
Re: Near Al Menir
After polling the group, it seems that most accept the presence of Gareth.  While he was not accustomed to having someone in the necromatic trade along, most of the group was willing to tolerate him.  After everyone weighs in, Haveron approaches Gareth to bring him up to speed.

"Necromancers in general have a pretty bad reputation.  I really felt it appropriate to let the group talk the situation over.  It would have been nice to know before you started traveling with us.  Thank you for respecting our wishes on this.  The group has decided that you are welcome to travel with us.  However, at least a couple people have reservations about the use of your necromatic magic.  I think it best that you not use any of those abilities...? unless we agree it is appropriate.  Can you live with that arrangement?"

OOC The player reacted perhaps more strongly than Haveron might have.  But, considering the practice is outlawed in some areas, and questionable in others...  This seems like the appropriate approach.  I think we can put this behind us and move on, as long as Gareth doesn't have any issues.  And being Callous, I doubt he really much cares.
Narrator
 GM, 7101 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 6 Dec 2019
at 20:55
Re: Near Al Menir
The argument settled for now, you are deep in thr foothills, and on time to make a camp.  Please make survival rolls for campsite quality.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 308 posts
Fri 6 Dec 2019
at 21:19
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron has never been much of an outdoorsman, so he cannot really find a good campsite on his own.  However, he does place a high level of importance on knowing his people.  As such, he will state offhand during conversation that "It's getting late, we'll need to find a campsite soon."  Then he will sit back and see who takes initiative, and who does the best work finding a good location.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 177 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 6 Dec 2019
at 21:45
Re: Near Al Menir
The Adept soon finds the perfect place from a Lizardman's P.o.V.  Warm rocks and easily defended with two small caves no more then 3-4 meters deep..
Gareth
 player, 521 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 00:10
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 440):

Gareth shrugs.

"Fine. Fight with one hand tied if you wish."

He gets to work creating food.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 37 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 18:10
Re: Near Al Menir
”One hand!!??”, Bechazruhk says indignantly before he realizes he is reacting instinctively.  With a frown Burke turns away from the strange man favoring to end the uncomfortable debate.
Shroud
 player, 50 posts
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 18:11
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud turns again to look at the dirty hippy with some disdain.  ”He's got a point.  You understand that, right?  If he turned the dead into servants it would take a burden off of us.  We'd be more alert.  More able to fight.  Better...”
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 38 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 18:11
Re: Near Al Menir
The druid interrupts his search for a proper campsite to turn to address the scout.  ”Just drop it.   Its weird.  I don't want to see the dead walking around if I knew them.”
Shroud
 player, 51 posts
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 18:12
Re: Near Al Menir
With a shrug Shroud says nonchalantly, ”Suit yourself.”


OOC:
The above banter is just for role play flavor and does reflect the views of the controlling PC.

Narrator
 GM, 7106 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 21:55
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 445):

You have a choice of campsites: one, as found by Ysthenis, is defensible but uncomfortable, and has a concealed place to set a fire.  Shroud has found a spot with a small spring, but  it isn't a s defensible.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 309 posts
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 22:14
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC Questions Haveron would probably know, but the driver does not.
---> How safe is the road, and how close to the road is the campsite?
---> How accessible is water?
---> How close together are the campsites?
---> Is it reasonable to grab water and carry it back to the defensible campsite?

If you want to just fast forward to the RP side of things...  Haveron would worry about safety first, and convenience second.  Thus, the defensible location would be his first choice unless they are close to the relative safety of the road.  It's a judgement call, but the driver doesn't have enough knowledge to make said judgement...

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 39 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 23:54
Re: Near Al Menir
One debate leads to another, this one over a suitable place to rest for the night.  As the leader weighs the pros and cons of the two found Bechazruhk speaks up helpfully.  ”Hey Cap'n.  I know a sweet little prayer I use when I'm beddin' under the stars.  Keeps the nasties away.  Animals too.”


OOC:
Burke would like to create a protective fog around the campsite, or as a best fit that he can get.  The Fog has many protective properties.  One of the rules is that when its cast whoever is inside the circle is considered a 'friend'.  Anyone outside of the circle is considered by the spell to be an 'intruder', even if they are a friend to Burke.  So Burke will always cast with the party inside, unless he specifically says otherwise.

The protection does many things.  One is range of sight.  Friends can see normally.  Intruders can only see about 2 hexes.  Intruders are also afraid to enter and must roll a save to enter, and later to stay inside.  Friends get +1 to defend while intruders get -1 to defend inside the fog.  Because of this Burke would recommend Shrouds spot and say the fog should hide a fire and keep hostiles at bay.

Gareth
 player, 522 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 06:08
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 448):

Gareth just looks at Shroud and shrugs. While the others are considering a campsite, he creates some food from the local plants, handing 7 meals out to others as he does so, but keeping the last meals for himself. Shroud Ryojin, Berry, Amelia, Bourke, Omar and Haveron, get offered meals, before he asks if anyone else wants any.

"I am sorry, Adept, but I am not sure that you will enjoy this, as there is no meat in it. But I can make you some if you want."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 310 posts
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 15:24
Re: Near Al Menir
After looking over both camp sites, it occurs to Haveron that he hasn't used all of his resources well.  Burke has offered him an alternative to the normal camping option, but that wasn't everything that he wanted.  Haveron's eyes look up into the air as he things for a few seconds, and then he responds to the man, absently brusing an errant leaf off his shoulder as he does.

"I will entertain the thought of camping by the river if you can protect us as you say.  However, I would feel more comfortable if your companion...  Feylin I think... were to have a good look around first.  Is that something he or the two of you could do?  Maybe take along Shroud in case of trouble?"

When Gareth hands out food, he accepts a ration, although he can't say he completely trusts the man.  He still responds politely with a "thank you".
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 178 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 18:04
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 449):

My Thanksss, I have food.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 40 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 19:50
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke nods and answers with a smile, ”Sure thing Cap'n.  Com'on Feylan.  You too Joker.”


OOC:
Burke will take Feylan and Shroud out on a wide radius casual search of the area.  About 50 yards out from the center of the proposed camp to see what he can see.  Looking for signs of recent hostiles traveling through, or anything else to worry about.

Berry
 player, 154 posts
 Mage
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 22:23
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry will take a meal, rather than create one herself. She will however, cast one essential food spell using the a convenient stick or some grass. She can create two meals since she's starting with something organic. Her store of essential food is back to normal!

18:15, Today: Berry rolled 13 using 3d6.  Berry uses essential food!
9/14 FP

This message was last edited by the player at 22:23, Thu 12 Dec 2019.

Ryojin
 player, 32 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 13 Dec 2019
at 00:10
Re: Near Al Menir
Ryojin accepts the meal offer, he knows that food should never be turned down or wasted. A full stomach means you can fight for longer.
Narrator
 GM, 7113 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 15 Dec 2019
at 23:39
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 454):

The camp selected is the one the lizard priest found, which is defensible, the other by the stream was far too open, and smoke from a fire would ve seen from a distance.

Tracks of small animals have been near recently, including something around the size of a fox. There are some older tracks from a large feline.


Burke is exhausted by, but pleased with his efforts.

Gareth, I need you to roll and see if you crit again, but that definitely costbyou no energy.
Gareth
 player, 523 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 16 Dec 2019
at 11:38
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 455):

Not a second time...

Just rolled an 11
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 311 posts
Mon 16 Dec 2019
at 16:14
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC Haveron will participate in and oversee the set up of camp.  He'll also volunteer to take the initial watch with one of the more magically inclined characters.  His first choice would have been Burke so they can get to know each other more, but he looks exhausted after scouting camps.  Thus, he will leave it to volunteers.

In Haveron's opinion there should be 4 watches due to the larger number of people with the suggested pattern below.  However, he'll do what makes the most sense if there are objections or suggestions.

Haveron Amelia
Ryujin Gareth
Adept Shroud
Omar Burke

Did I forget anyone or anything?

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 41 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Mon 16 Dec 2019
at 19:25
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Shroud and Burke are happy to watch where ever they are needed.

Burke got exhausted from his intense prayer to make a protective fog that covers the camp in a shimmering, glowy blanket.

Gareth
 player, 524 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 02:15
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 458):

Then perhaps Bourke should rest first in case something does show on his watch?
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 42 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 17 Dec 2019
at 06:47
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
That's why Burke is on 4th watch.

Narrator
 GM, 7125 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 15:13
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 460):

With the watches set, you settle in for the night. Nothing penetrates the fog, but on the third watch, the yipping of a small canid creature can be heard... followed by a low coughing growl and a squeal that is cut off sharply.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 312 posts
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 16:28
Re: Near Al Menir

This message was deleted by the player at 17:29, Wed 18 Dec 2019.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 179 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 19:04
Re: Near Al Menir
He moves closer to Shrourd and says softly so as not to wake the others

Ssssounds natural, just let it be?
Shroud
 player, 52 posts
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 19:26
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud stands as he is alerted to the sound of a small yipping canine and the suddenness of it ceasing.  He is concerned, but not worried just as the Adept is.

The scout quickly snatches an arrow from his quiver and loads it with lightning speed as the healer draws near and whispers something. Shroud responds immediately.  ”The yip was natural...but given that we're camping in the backyard of a wizards tower who knows if the thing that silenced that yip is.  Do you have any kind of magic that can let us see or know what is out there?”


Bow is loaded and Ready.  Stay within the protective fog.  Stay about 3 hexes in to stay hidden from stuff outside.  Wait to see how the Adept responds.  Shroud's general feeling at this point is that if whatever the thing is that ended the yip, if its going to leave us alone no sense in venturing out into the dark to deal with it.  If it came from the wizards tower then likely we'll be seeing it again soon.  On better terms hopefully.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 180 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 19:34
Re: Near Al Menir
Perhapssss, Aura, Detect Magicssss and sssspiritsssss.  I try Aura

He grumbles something after a moment ... my sssspell not work
Shroud
 player, 53 posts
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 19:36
Re: Near Al Menir
”Well, I guess we wait.”


OOC:
I'm fine with waiting to see if the mysterious yip stopper is going to do anything worth reacting to.  If not then wake the 4th watch when its time and report what we heard.

Narrator
 GM, 7129 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 20:25
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 466):

Here is your local world map:

https://drive.google.com/file/...tG/view?usp=drivesdk

You are about half a day from the place you remember Gareth setting thr chaparral  ablaze... can't remember why though.

Are we waiting for the end of the spell, or leving the protected area? (You can reenter safely)
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 181 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 21:20
Re: Near Al Menir
Was just waiting for morning or until something entered the mist.
Shroud
 player, 54 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2019
at 19:15
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Shroud will not leave the Myst and will stay far enough inside as to not be seen by outsiders.  I'm waiting for an event that requires me to take some action where the GM needs to step in.  Such as an attack by some foe or say someone approaches and asks for help because their life is in danger.  If no such event occurs then just observe and then report to the 4th watch when its time to cross over shifts.

Narrator
 GM, 7140 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 20 Dec 2019
at 14:49
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 469):

The shit ends without incident,  as does the next. Morning comes uneventfully...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 314 posts
Fri 20 Dec 2019
at 17:27
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron will oversee and participate in breaking camp (which includes breakfast, etc).  As they work away he'll comment to the Adept "Good choice", and add in "Thanks for the fog" to Burke (when he finds the right moment).

After everyone is ready to go, Haveron will take the front of the group with Burke.  He'll want Gareth close, since he was the other person who penetrated whatever spell was set on the head of the path.  In his judgement a good read guard would be Shroud with the Adept.  Everyone else can string out in the middle, although he'll want Omar protecting Amelia should they encounter trouble.
Berry
 player, 155 posts
 Mage
Fri 20 Dec 2019
at 18:02
Re: Near Al Menir
Well, I slept well! Berry says.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 43 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 20 Dec 2019
at 19:34
Re: Near Al Menir
As the rugged outdoor man wakes he finds himself well rested.  Rummaging through his pack he pulls some salted meat and hard biscuits.  He breaks a corner off his cheese block and sets about eating while making light conversation with his partner, Omar.

When morning comes he wakes the others and is happy to report that whatever got the yipper did not trouble them.  Burke responds pleasantly to the compliment from Haveron.  ”It's a might handy prayer Cap'n, 'specially when yer all alone.  Usually it's just me an' Feylan.  It's nice that I can get more use out'ta it.”


OOC:
Before we leave the area take Feylan and try to find the location where the mysterious predator was.  Attempt to find some clues such as size, number, what it was, etc.

Feylan
 player, 2 posts
 Timber Wolf
Fri 20 Dec 2019
at 21:00
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 473):

The wolf's hackles raise. He quickly finds a set of tracks, and a couple sprays of blood. There are small canid tracks that look like they started to run before being crossed by a very large set of feline tracks, that eventually circle off, although the smaller tracks don't.

Tracking roll to identify.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 44 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 21 Dec 2019
at 15:46
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice roll in PM

Gareth
 player, 525 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 23 Dec 2019
at 09:23
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 475):

"I guess I slept fine..."

He gets ready to head off...
Feylan
 player, 3 posts
 Timber Wolf
Mon 23 Dec 2019
at 18:59
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 475):

The wolf growls and postures. Through Burke it communicates that the smaller animal was a fox, and that it was attacked and torn to shreds by a type of tiger that is not a tiger, and that its scent is all over this place.



Shroud may have tracking.
Shroud
 player, 55 posts
Mon 23 Dec 2019
at 19:11
Re: Near Al Menir
Interested in the exchange between man and beast, and the phrase 'a tiger that is not a tiger' the often silent stoic man kneels besides the soft ground to see what he can see,


OOC:
Shroud does have Tracking.  Roll is in PM below.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 315 posts
Mon 23 Dec 2019
at 20:09
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron pauses in the middle of his work to pay attention to the exchange.  There were plenty of things to organize before they really got moving up the road.  However, knowing that something out of the ordinary was out there, coupled with their quest for some sort of magical tower... They might be related.

OOC  Seems reasonable to assume Haveron would be tracking this if not following it directly...until ther was something out of the ordinary like this.
Narrator
 GM, 7158 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 23 Dec 2019
at 21:54
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 478):

From the depth of the front paws compared to the rear, this creature is much heavier in the front, which means that it is probably one of those beasts with more than one head, a diger, triger or worse.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 182 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 02:38
Re: Near Al Menir
At leasssst  it isssn't a Liger ...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 316 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 15:22
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron's brow furrows.  "I have not heard of any of these.  What is a Liger?"

OOC  LOL.  Love the pop culture reference.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 183 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 15:46
Re: Near Al Menir
A Beasssst created by a male Lion breeding a female Tiger, it isssss much larger than either and very fassst assss well.
Shroud
 player, 56 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 17:50
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud is normally a quiet man.  He rarely speaks unless he has something to say and those who have spent some time around him have come to realize that he does not joke.  The archer has no use for time spent on escapism and the purpose of it is beyond him.

Rather stoically he looks around and explains his opinion of the tracks, that they belong to an unnatural multi headed predatory cat.  ”I think its obvious, but we had a visitor from the wizards tower last night.  Whether it was a random encounter or a forward scout only time will tell.”
Feylan
 player, 4 posts
 Timber Wolf
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 17:58
Re: Near Al Menir
The big wolf growls and its jaws open and close as if its trying to talk, if it had the means to vocalize which it does not.  But being an animal it merely makes animal noises.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 45 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 18:01
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke turns his attention to the large timber wolf and pays attention as if the wild dog is speaking and he can understand it.  Then he addresses the group.  ” 'Ol Feylan thinks its a guard dog, like he is.  An' he's remindin' me to tell ya that my fog keeps out all kinds 'a nasties.  Lions, tigers, bears.  Just about everythin' born to nature.  Well mostly.  Sometimes if they starvin' or mad they'll come in.  But anyways, the fog dont always work on the unnatural.”


OOC:
I'm ready to move on.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 317 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 18:40
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron nods and motions them onward.  "Burke, I'd like you to be up front with me, along with Feylan.  He has the scent of this beast, I expect he will know if it's around.  And, if we get close to something else, then Feylan should be able to warn us."
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 184 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 18:53
Re: Near Al Menir
Good plan, watch the wind

He draws his sword and carries it leaning on his shoulder.
Narrator
 GM, 7168 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 00:41
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 488):

You break camp and head back up the pathway you descended
with the caravan. Will rolls please.
Shroud
 player, 57 posts
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 01:05
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 46 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 01:05
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Ryojin
 player, 34 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 01:41
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 185 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 02:26
Re: Near Al Menir
The adept marches on ...
Berry
 player, 156 posts
 Mage
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 03:13
Re: Near Al Menir
Will Roll in PM
Gareth
 player, 526 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 09:28
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 494):

Gareth is stubborn in his determination...
Narrator
 GM, 7177 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 20:49
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 495):

Some good rolls there!

You reach the turning point on the road where there is a charred spot, and an overgrown path goes higher up into the mountains.
Berry
 player, 157 posts
 Mage
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 21:36
Re: Near Al Menir
Forward!
Gareth
 player, 527 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 29 Dec 2019
at 11:31
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 497):

Gareth will offer to light the way...literally!
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 47 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sun 29 Dec 2019
at 18:59
Re: Near Al Menir
Not quite aware yet of the odd mans love of fire Bechazruhk notices the charred spot but does not understand it.  He walks on as he pets Feylan absent mindedly.  His focus turns more to the leader of this motley crew.  ”Cap'n.  Yer an odd 'sortment.  How'd y'all come together?”


OOC:
No need for a length response.  This is more for RP flavor.

Burke and Feylan will stay up front as requested and do their best to be 'on watch' while they travel.

Narrator
 GM, 7186 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 31 Dec 2019
at 17:14
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 499):

To refresh folks, many who didn't start with these characters,  a rumor was heard, and substantiated by a visit to the stages of the Dismal Tower.
  A Valdassyan goat herder was pursuing some hares and found himself in a  clearing by the sea cliffs that he could not leave for several weeks, and was found to be delerious and starving. Hecspoke of a tower he could not see, and could not describe how he had gotten there or how he had managed to escape.

Sailors also told of a tower by the cliffs that could only be seen by the most skeptical  of men.

It may be the place a wizard collected magic, or where a demon is bound

link to a message in this game

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:43, Tue 31 Dec 2019.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 48 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 1 Jan 2020
at 18:11
Re: Near Al Menir
As they walk the dirty hippy listens to the stories unfold.  The goat herder apparently driven insane, but was its origin magical or a more natural madness?  Next Bechazruhk is informed of the sailors tales and the speculation of a magical storage facility or perhaps a bound daemon.  The man has never encountered either, heard rumors yes but never seen them first hand.  It both intrigues the druid and frightens him slightly.


OOC:
Ready to move on.  Take point with Haveron.  Make small talk to get to know the man better and discuss the virtues and methods of composting.  Keep a watchful eye out.  About every 30 minutes we'll do a quick step to get 50 or so yards ahead and then pause so that Feylan can sniff around for anything weird while the others catch up.  Always stay in sight of the main group.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:56, Wed 01 Jan.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 318 posts
Fri 3 Jan 2020
at 16:40
Re: Near Al Menir
As they move along, a line of questioning occurs to Haveron.  Burke was to be their guide, but there was more to their business than just travel.  In his usual melodic voice he asks Burke "If we do happen into a demon, or something supernatural...  How would you defend yourself?  Obviously Feylan would come to your aid, but we may be seeking out something much more powerful.  How would you deal with something more.supernatural?"
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 49 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sun 5 Jan 2020
at 17:16
Re: Near Al Menir
Bechazruhk is at first taken aback, mostly due to the sweet harmonic tone of the leaders voice.  But the dirty hippy quickly recovers.  He chuckles.  ”I'ma just hidin' behin' you Cap'n.”  But its obvious from the mans lack of laughter that he doesn't find it as funny as Burke.

So the druid changes mood and becomes more serious.  ”Feylan aint just a shield boss.  He an' me, we're best friends.  He an' I been through a lot.   We seen some good times an' some bad.  He protects me, an' me him.  I got this.”  Burke pats a beautiful looking axe hanging at his waist.  It looks well crafted and likely Dwarven in origin.  And it gleams in the sunlight with an unusual shine, perhaps silver in color.  ”I'm pretty handy with it.  My paw gave it to me an' showed me how to swing it real good.  And I got this.”  The druid reaches up and over his back to pat the large wooden shield hanging on his back.  ”An' I know a few good prayers.  Handy in a fight.  I'm not saying I can take on a daemon spirit all by myself Cap'n but I can hold my own.”
Narrator
 GM, 7239 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 18:39
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 503):

Per rolls all
Berry
 player, 158 posts
 Mage
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 18:43
Re: Near Al Menir

OOC: 14:41, Today: Berry rolled 11 using 3d6.  Per-13 roll.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 319 posts
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 18:56
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron made his roll.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 50 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 19:21
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Shroud
 player, 58 posts
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 19:22
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 186 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 20:36
Re: Near Al Menir
The adept looks up ...
three headed tiger
 NPC, 1 post
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 21:36
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 509):

All of you hear a trio of low coughing roars from atop the cliff!
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 320 posts
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 21:57
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron will step protectively in front of Burke, with his family sword ready in front of him.  Then he'll try to identify the sounds.

Under his breath, he will also ask Burke "Do you know what that might be?"

OOC Last I read we were at the head of the path.  Not sure when we got to a cliff...?
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 187 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 22:08
Re: Near Al Menir
He has heard a big cat before and draws his sword so he will be able to respond quickly ...
Ryojin
 player, 35 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 01:01
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Gareth
 player, 528 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 05:55
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 512):

Gareth, as usual, creates a fireball when threatened. It has clearly been a long time, and this fireball seems to pack extra...
Berry
 player, 159 posts
 Mage
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 07:16
Re: Near Al Menir
"Kitty! I love kitties! Hello kitty! Do you like elf bread?" Berry gets out some of her elf bread.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 51 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 16:19
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke looks up to the cliff at the sound of coughing and sees not one set of eyes looking back, but three.  Then Haveron asks the obvious.  So Burke gives it back.  ”That Cap'n...”, Bechazruhk points up high, ”...is a three headed tiger.  Somethin' unnatural.”

Feylan growls low and rough as the beasts fur stands on end around his neck.  Burke pats him comfortingly and adds, ”Easy there Feylan.  We'll meet 'im soon 'nough.”

This message was last edited by the player at 16:20, Fri 10 Jan.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 321 posts
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 17:22
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC Is it a cliff overlooking us, meaning we can see it but there is now way down?  Or is the thing potentially going to come visit in the next few minutes?
Narrator
 GM, 7247 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 17:58
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 517):

Thepath wends between two shallow (6-8 yard) cliffs- much closer to ground than the 10-15 yard cliffs. The triger may know a way down.
Gareth
 player, 529 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 22:15
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 518):

Is it in range of Gartths fireball? Penalties?
Narrator
 GM, 7256 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 11 Jan 2020
at 21:41
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 519):

-4 range
Gareth
 player, 530 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 12 Jan 2020
at 00:49
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 520):

Gareth flings his fireball at the creature...
Narrator
 GM, 7259 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 12 Jan 2020
at 19:34
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 521):

Make another roll for degree of crit! (And roll your 2d as well)
Gareth
 player, 531 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 12 Jan 2020
at 20:28
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 522):

OK then...
three headed tiger
 NPC, 2 posts
Tue 14 Jan 2020
at 15:01
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 523):

There is a blinding flash of tigh and a trio of howls. The triger, now immolated,  backs away from the cliff edge somewhat shakily.

No FP cost for that!
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 322 posts
Tue 14 Jan 2020
at 16:18
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron looks back over his shoulder to make sure Omar is watching over Amelia.  Then, he turns his attention back to the flaming tiger in front of him.  While he had questions about Gareth's morals and view of the world, he definitely appreciated his ability to defend the group.  Inwardly, he sighs.  It was necessary to travel with Gareth in the moment, because he had skills and abilities they needed to be successful.  Whether or not they could work together long term was a different question altogether.  It was something he had given much thought, and would continue to assess as they proceeded on their task.
Gareth
 player, 532 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 14 Jan 2020
at 20:38
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to three headed tiger (msg # 524):

Gareth watches and waits to see what should be done next...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 323 posts
Tue 14 Jan 2020
at 21:40
Re: Near Al Menir
After watching the situation for a time, Haveron thoughtfully turns and says only one word.

"Burke...?"

OOC Haveron is ready to move on, but isn't going to do so until it's safe.  It's probably reasonable to assume a cooked triger is not going to be much of a threat.  Then again, it's likely the result of some wizardry too, so the correct assumption isn't quite so easy to decide on.  Haveron will look to Burke (possibly Shroud) to give him the OK before we go.
Berry
 player, 160 posts
 Mage
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 19:50
Re: Near Al Menir
"What the hell!? Why did you fireball the kitty?"
Gareth
 player, 533 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 20:39
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 528):

"Sorry, but I am pretty sure he wanted to eat me."
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 53 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 08:24
Re: Near Al Menir
The dirty hippy watches the three headed tiger with great interest.  Almost certainly its some weird result of magical experimentation but was the end product accidental or intentional?  And how much of the underlying natural animal influences this alien creature?  In other words, how much tiger is in that triger?

Burke is quite curious.  And then without warning the thing bursts into flames.

Next instant the groups leader turns to him to inquire if its safe.  Burke shrugs.  ”I guess so Cap'n.  I aint run 'cross too many trigers.  Didn't look too dead though.  We might 'a just pissed 'im off.  Best be careful as we go.”


OOC:
Burke doesn't openly criticize Gareth but he isn't too happy about the attack.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 324 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 15:19
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron nods in agreement.  "Let's move forward.  But let's be cautious for a while too.  We're obviously in an area where the natural rules may or may not matter.  Be on the look out for the unexpected.  I doubt a triger is the only thing we will see here."

With that, Haveron signals for Burke to take the lead, and follows along right behind him, on alert.
Gareth
 player, 534 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 23:56
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 531):

"Should we not stop and make sure that unnatural thing has properly departed? I know cats are cute and all, but if it were zombified, it would make a great asset. Sure, you dislike undead, but it is not human or even natural, so I am really just changing who it serves, and was not even friendly..."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 325 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 00:11
Re: Near Al Menir
With a sigh, Haveron stops, and turns on his heel to face Gareth.

"We don't know that it's dead.  And we don't know that it even can be zombified.  It may have some sorcery on it from the person or thing that created it.  Heck, it's creator may even be using the beast to watch us.

I can see that you have a fascination with this sort of thing, but I don't think it's the right time or the right place.  We need to keep moving, in my opinion."


With his lips pursed, Haveron turns back to the path, and motions for Burke to continue.

OOC Yup character play.  I know.  ...mumble...mumble....
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 54 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 01:21
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke stops in his tracks as the fire man suggests turning the three headed tiger into some kind of moving skeleton.  The dirty hippy does some soul searching and decides while unusual he doesn't have any compunction about the matter.

Still something else bothers him.  So he turns to Gareth to resolve it.  ”You talk like it was for sure gonna jump down here an' gobble us all up.  But truth is, we don't know.  We dont know nothin' 'bout it.  Maybe yur right an' maybe yur not.  But I gotta ask.  Is that how you people tackle everything?  Burn it 'fore ya know what it is an' ask questions later?”


OOC:
I thought that's what we were doing, going to check to see if the triger was still alive.
 

Gareth
 player, 535 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 07:04
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 534):

Gareth replies matter ofvfactly.

My people, if there is such, are dead because they did not. To a bloody necromancer who abused his power for his own selfish greed. I had to learn necromancy to get my folk back from him, but being raised by dead parents was just not the same. They talk to me still, but now even their bodies are gone.

I know, mum, he does seem like a nice lad, but I am pretty sure he does not want to be warmed up like the kitty cat.

'He is just learning right from wrong', they used to say about the mongrel. Then they beat his little crowd once, but they did not kill him. He came back with a bigger crowd. It is not necromancy that make people evil, necromancy is a tool evil people use because it is powerful. But power can, and should, be used for good too.

See, that is the thing about unnatural shit. If it was not natural, something created it, and in situations like this, ask yourself why. That there was no lap kitty, so until I can talk to its creator, yes I do assume it is planning to jump down, or sneak up and eat me.
"
Ryojin
 player, 36 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 12:51
Re: Near Al Menir
"Eat us." Ryojin interjects while listening to everyone.

Though the tiger with three heads was intriguing, there was no doubt in his mind that it would have come down and attack them. After all, any wild animal would have attempted to do so, trying it's hand at taking the weakest of the pack, and with three heads it must have thought it could do so. If it was created, then it would have either come at them with killing intent or watched from a distance, the prior would be more plausible.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 326 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 16:39
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron rolls his eyes.  Again with the discussion.  This guy was proving difficult to manage.  It was like he had a small child along, who didn't understand the bigger world.  Havereon found it frustrating to deal with such basic questions.  But that, was his job, as the person in charge.  The responsibility fell to him.  And it was in these moments that he proved his worth as a leader.

Quietly Haveron takes a deep breath, and measures his words.  Then he turns to face Gareth again, so he can talk to the man respectfully.

"We all agree that power should be used for good, and not for evil.  And we all recognize that having the undead doing your bidding enhances your power considerably.  It might make us safer in our journey.  But it's not a simple black or white question.

I still question whether we can trust you with that kind of power.  You are very capable with your magic, but I find that you lack a good understanding of people.  For example, if you walk into town with an undead triger, people will most likely attack you on sight.  Necromancers have a bad reputation, because the good ones are few and far between, while the bad ones are a dime a dozen.  People won't understand you or your intentions, and will assume the worst.  Especially in a place like Al Menir.  And I don't know if you would understand that behavior.

Therein lies the problem.  You often react before you think, which leads to mistakes or errors that other people take note of.  And you frequently don't understand how these things come off to others.  For the people who know you better, there is reason behind your actions.  But to the average person, they won't understand any of that.  And they won't care to know, because they'll have already made the decision.

I don't think you're a bad person Gareth.  But I worry that your approach to situations like this will rub people the wrong way, or even insult them.  Most of us are uncomfortable with raising the dead on some level.  Some would tolerate it, others would be outright offended.  And you suggest it like having an undead triger is like having a shovel.  Do you recognize half of us might leave if you were to do that?  You might help in the short term, but ruin our chances in the long term.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're also ignoring the opinions of the rest of the group.  It's a perfect example of my concern.  So no, please do not attempt to raise the triger if it is dead.  And please keep that magic to yourself unless we find ourselves in a situation so desperate that we need it."


With that, Haveron throws up his hands in a gesture of frustration, nods at the Adept in particular, and then starts up the path.  He finds he is a bit exasperated at the mage, and doesn't really want to talk after the scolding.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 55 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 19:24
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke surveys the fire man and listens to his words finally getting the answer he suspected all along.  The man assumed an attack was imminent, so he fired first.

Bechazruhk inhales making a long, pronounced sniffing sound.  ”That's wha'd'I thought.  I got two problems with your hurry up ideas.”  Burke holds up a pair of fingers in a 'V' shape.  ”We don't really know.  Yer prolly right.  Wizard tower is just a hike that way.”  Burke thumbs in the direct of the recluse mage.  ”Three headed tigers aint too common so its prolly some weird experiment, or worse.  BUT...I done a little vet work in my time an' I seen some stuff.  I seen pups born with two legs an' a calf born with two heads.  I woul'n't kill one 'a natures creatures without cause even on a bad day an' I'd appreciate if you do the same.  An' two...”, again Burke holds up two fingers showing his second point, ”...if that was the wizards scout now we got a heap 'a trouble.  If I was a wizard with a three headed tiger roamin' my land I'd keep a close eye on it.  'Cause its my eyes an' ears out 'a my tower.  An' if I saw a well armed group 'a strangers come onto my land I'd be wonderin' if they came to hurt me.  An' after they kilt my triger without it even attackin' 'em, now I'd know they came to kill me.  Worst case the wizard is gonna be like a mama bear protecting her cubs.  Mad with anger.”


OOC:
Whats our mission here, to kill the wizard or just snoop things out?
 

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 188 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 20:23
Re: Near Al Menir
He holds up his right front claw, open wide to show it is empty  (like a human would hold up his open hand in greeting)
PEASSSE Among Ussss , we must work together and trussst each other to do what issss bessst for alll of ussss.
Gareth
 player, 536 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 00:55
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 538):

Gareth signed.

"I am sorry, I thought it was just friendly or natural things you objected hto becoming zombies. It is so hard to understand your logic.

But if we are expecting trouble, that thing would only have added to it. If the wizard used him as a scout, then he already knows we are here, but he does not know what we do next. If that thing did not attack us then it would be spying for a hostile wizard. If he was not hostile why all the effort to hide? They surely would not let us leave quietly now we are here, few others got away.
"

He continued up to check that the creature was dead.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 66 posts
 Agent about town
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 04:26
Re: Near Al Menir
"Somethat strange suggests we are nearing what is either a demon proson, or a wizard's tower. I don't  know which it is, but it might be waiting and aware."
Berry
 player, 161 posts
 Mage
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 05:14
Re: Near Al Menir
"I object to kitties being raised as zombies. And subjected to horrible experiments. I vote we kill the wizard and steal his stuff. Or at least give him a solid talking too about kitty cruelty. "

This message was last edited by the player at 05:14, Sat 18 Jan.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 56 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 16:37
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke listens to the fire man speak and does not respond initially as he soaks in the words. Then he shrugs.  ”You might be right.  Yer prolly right.  But the problem I got is what if yer wrong.  You go killin' everythin' in sight an' sooner 'er later yer gonna piss off innocent people who would'a left you 'lone otherwise.”

Now the dirty hippy turns to address the Adept.  His face is framed with respect.  ”I aint fightin'.  I'm the new guy.  I gotta know what kind 'a people I'm runnin' with.”


OOC:
Amelia Montaigne:
"Somethat strange suggests we are nearing what is either a demon proson, or a wizard's tower. I don't  know which it is, but it might be waiting and aware."

I know Haveron already told me what he knows and that the background predates the players involvement.

Does anyone know why we're here?  Were we hired?  Or did we just stumble upon someone hiding and presumably its a daemon prison or a reclusive wizard?  Why we're here will help Burke decide a good course.

Burke's conscience is just role play.  It has nothing to do with the players politics.

 

Gareth
 player, 537 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 00:09
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 543):

Gareth considers the statement.

"Possibly true, but most of the time the preemptive strike save my friends lives. A few mistakes is unavoidable, as the altercation back at town, in which I played no part, demonstrated"
Narrator
 GM, 7290 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 22:15
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 544):

So that everyone can catch up

The road to Al Menir, where splitting the group made three players quit:

link to a message in this game

Also at the Dismal Tower, where sages were consulted

link to a message in this game

Over in the Wastrel's Hope-where rumors and introductions started

link to a message in this game
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 327 posts
Tue 21 Jan 2020
at 22:04
Re: Near Al Menir
"Gareth, they are right.  This isn't the first time you have thrown a fireball without really looking to see what was going on.  I recommend a bit more discretion in these matters.  Fire should be treated with respect.  The last thing we need is to find ourselves in the middle of a raging fire.  You might survive, but the rest of us might not.

If we are done with our discussion, can we proceed?  We are looking for a tree struck by lightning.  Possibly a dead man with old tools or implements.  But the triger does tell us we are most likely in the correct area."

Gareth
 player, 538 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 03:54
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 546):

Gareth just rolls his eyes.

"Fine, next time I will wait until it is close enough to bite you, so you know it is hostile. Of course you know that means you will probably feel the heat then..."

He gets ready to move on.
Berry
 player, 162 posts
 Mage
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 05:16
Re: Near Al Menir
"Good!" Berry says, with more than a hint of annoyance. "Still, the cat probably survived and you've learned from it, so this is a net win."
Narrator
 GM, 7300 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 20:23
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 548):

You head further along, although the path is less distinct.

Will rolls all.
Ryojin
 player, 37 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 20:58
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC: PM Roll.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:58, Wed 22 Jan.

Berry
 player, 164 posts
 Mage
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:00
Re: Near Al Menir
16:59, Today: Berry rolled 9 using 3d6.  Will-14.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 189 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:29
Re: Near Al Menir
He makes it


14:29, Today: Adept Yisslitheniss rolled 9 using 3d6.  will.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 330 posts
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 23:52
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron feels uncomfortable for a moment, but having felt this before he is able to shrug it off.
Gareth
 player, 541 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 04:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 553):

Gareth senses something too...
Shroud
 player, 59 posts
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 07:08
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 57 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 07:09
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Narrator
 GM, 7307 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 19:20
Re: Near Al Menir
You are all able to percieve the path, although you notice Omar starting to veer toward the right anf back toward the road.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 67 posts
 Agent about town
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 20:07
Re: Near Al Menir
Amelia glides up next to Omar, and takes him under the elbow, guiding him up the path.  She may not understand what was going on, exactly, but she could feel the aversion herself.  Haveron had mentioned the same feeling when they were last here, so she could identify it.
Gareth
 player, 542 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 21:26
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 558):

Gareth, oblivious to Omar, is more alert and approaches the road carefully. He is about to cast something, but then refrains, staying alert.
Narrator
 GM, 7311 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 00:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 559):

What there is of a path rises into a hillier region, still with a low cliff rising to the left, and the hills dropping off to the right over the road to Aral.
Gareth
 player, 543 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 00:42
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 560):

Gareth will follow the others, making sure they stick to the path less travelled...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 332 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:03
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron motions for Burke to take the lead on finding what path their was.  It made sense that not many came this way, with the mental barrier they had experienced.  Thus, the path would be sparse.  It made sense for them to follow the lead of their most experienced woodsman.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 58 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:22
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke moves to come along side Haveron.  As the two walk Burke explains the different sounds small mammals make and why.  Its quite interesting.  Some noises might sound like the animal is angry but its not so.  Its actually a mating call or an invite to be social.  Burke delights in having a captive audience while he imitates the sounds squirrels, chipmunks and other small forest creatures make.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 333 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 18:34
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron smirks at the zeal the woodsman shows for the little things in nature.  It's interesting, and passes the time while they travel, so it's a welcome diversion.  Haveron still takes care to pay attention to his surroundings.  The last thing they needed was to be attacked by the triger, or worse.  Still, it was better than talking Gareth out of chucking fireballs...  Haveron has to smirk wryly to himself at the thought.
Narrator
 GM, 7331 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 19:19
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 563):

While mst of you have no issue weeding your way through the shrubbery along the faint path, feylan, hackles raised, keeps veering away,ad seems forlorn when redirected. Omar seems to absently drift toward the right, but sheepishly returns when Haveron notices him veering off.
Gareth
 player, 544 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 19:36
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 565):

Gareth walked along, wondering why folk and animals wanted to keep going to the right. It was not right...he keeps checking both sides for an answer...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 334 posts
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 19:44
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron stops for a moment, and thoughtfully waits for Omar to approach.  His face creases into a smile, and softens with empathy.  Haveron As the wrinkles on his face become more pronounced, he speaks softly to the man, in a gentle tone.

"There is a spell here, Omar, and it seems to have affected you.  There is no judgement in me saying that.  The owner of these lands does not seem to want visitors, and so the spell is doing what it is supposed to.  Watching you from the outside, I see you turning off the path over and over, almost like your mind does not want to see it. "

He then gestures for Amelia to come over.

"Amelia will guide you through it.  She has experienced it before, and I also prepared her for it when we were last here.  She seems to have resisted it's effects.  As you protect her in battle, let her guide you here.  We must work together to be successful."

With a nod, Haveron then returns to the front of the group, so he can continue the trek up the path.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 18 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 20:13
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar walks up to his employer, although even that much seems like an effort.  The whole situation seemed confusing.  From what Omar could tell, the path veered off a few steps before he reached Haveron.  He could not understand why Haveron was standing in the broken grass, on what looked like a harder path.  Still, he pauses to hear what his boss has to say.

After Haveron finishes talking, Omar starts to respond before stopping himself.
"This has nothing to do with magic.  The path veers off right there..."

However, upon looking at it again, Haveron is now standing on the path, and the place where Omar was pointing to was broken grass.
"...But...  And Amelia...?

Omar then turns to look at Amelia, who is now standing next to him.  She smiles softly, and nods subtly.  For a moment Omar frowns, and looks at Haveron's back as he walks to the front of the line again.  He shakes his head, and looks at her.
"He wants me to follow you.  A woman...?"

Amelia sighs, and nods patiently.

Omar throws up his hands in a bit of exasperation.
"This is not how my culture works.  Following a woman is like shaking left-handed.  It does not seem right."

After a moment of thought, Omar trots up towards the front, saying over his shoulder "I will follow behind Haveron."

Amelia purses her lips tightly, and frowns.  But she nods, and lets him go.

OOC Amelia will keep track of Omar and keep him on the right path when he wanders off.  He might not accept that guidance, but it's her job.
Narrator
 GM, 7338 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 20:16
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 568):

This handling is good.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 59 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 06:52
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke travels along with the others and finds himself surprised more than once at Feylans odd behavior.  The wolf is head strong but his continued insistence to wander away isn't like him at all.  But it isn't until Haveron has a talk with Omar that Burke connects the dots.

So the dirty hippy stops for a moment and squats so that he comes face to face with the big wolf.  ”Eh Feylan. The path...”, he points to the ground where the grass is matted down.  ”There is some magic here.  Its foolin' you so that you don't see the path.  But you think you do.  Don't worry though, I see it.  Just follow me.”
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 335 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 16:26
Re: Near Al Menir
When he sees Burke talking to Feylan, Haveron nods silently in their direction.  He'll approach to a safe distance, maybe 5 yards, and kneel down on one knee.  Then, he'll offer Feylan a piece of jerky from his provisions.

Whether the animal takes the dried meat or not, Haveron will stand and continue leading the group, once Burke is ready to go.
Feylan
 player, 5 posts
 Timber Wolf
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 19:18
Re: Near Al Menir
Feylan eyes the piece of jerky hungrily.  Thanks to his keen sense of smell he knows what it is long before Haveron gets in position to offer it.  The wolf moves cautiously, mostly trying not to take off a finger or two.  But wolves have too much animal in them and Feylan nips the tips of Haverons fingers by accident.


OOC:
No real damage, just a greedy wolf.

Ready to move on.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 336 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 19:29
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron pulls his fingers back at the tip nip, but thankfully his gauntlets took the brunt of it.  He does take a brief second to make sure he has all of his fingers.  Then Haveron smiles, and stands, gesturing for Burke to lead them forward.

OOC Moving right along...
Berry
 player, 165 posts
 Mage
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 03:10
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry mumbles something about sexism and mana making men and women equal.
Gareth
 player, 545 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 06:10
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 574):

Gareth notices how Berry was spurned, and goes to comfort her in low tones.

"Social customs are stupid. You either have power, or you don't. You either abuse it, or you don't. I don't get all this 'do this, don't do that, oh now you can do it.' Haderaum can make undead to clean sewers, but if I do to help us defend ourselves, we all get offended...a woman can fight beside me, but she can't act as a guide even if the guy keeps getting lost.

I guess what I am trying to say is I know how you feel.
"
Var
 NPC, 32 posts
 Goblin servant
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 01:38
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 574):

"Your will defines your value, not somebody else's physicality or restrictive \ancestral code. Dose people, dey don't drink but they sure are fast ta tell you why what
you are doing is wrong because dey don't do it. a lot like them triunists. bah!"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:39, Fri 31 Jan.

Narrator
 GM, 7356 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 20:42
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 576):

the path continues to climb until it reaches a wooded plateau at a higher altitude than the level of the former bandit camp. It is surprisingly easier to look down at those burnt out ruins, and into the northern valley where the mountain folk dwelt, than to gaze directly at the woods ahead.  To the west, the mountain rises higher.
Gareth
 player, 546 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 21:17
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 577):

"The woods, for my money..." says Gareth determinedly.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 337 posts
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 22:48
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron nods in assent. "I agree.  It seems like the most difficult path has consistently been the way here.  Burke, what do you think?  I trust your judgement on these things as you are the most experienced here.  Any concerns or thoughts before we proceed?"
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 60 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 1 Feb 2020
at 19:38
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke laughs out loud.  ”Concerns Cap'n?”  The outdoorsman takes a minute to gather the phlegm and mucus from his mouth and nose then spits it out onto the ground.  ”Ya...off the top 'a my head, I'd say...a three headed TIGER.  But, like he said an' you said...”, Burke takes a moment to point at Gareth, ”...the way that don't want us seems ta be the way ta go.”

This message was last edited by the player at 19:25, Mon 03 Feb.

Amelia Montaigne
 player, 68 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:01
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 580):

Haveron's senschal  looks toward the woods.

"Is it me, or is there no birdsong?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 338 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:22
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron purses his lips, listening for a moment.  "That also would be un-natural.  It would seem that we are in lands that are under the influence of magic.  Perhaps the same effect that has confused our canine friend has also influenced the birds.  We can probably assume we will not see the normal forest creatures.  But what we do see...  We should beware.

Unless anyone else has noticed something of note, I say we proceed, but with caution."


OOC Haveron thinks he understands what is going on.  He may or may not.  After pausing a moment for any comments, he will gesture for Burke to lead them forward.
Narrator
 GM, 7378 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:36
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 582):

another round of will rolls to press on.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 339 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:40
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron starts forward towards the woods.
Ryojin
 player, 38 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 17:20
Re: Near Al Menir
The longer they walk this path, the more Ryojin feels the pull on his mind. He was not trained in the ways of the mind and as such had little defense to such tricks, But his will was not breaking. He continued to follow the group.


OOC: PM MEGAMAN AND ROLL!

Amelia Montaigne
 player, 69 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 18:07
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 585):

Amelia fings herself drifting...
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 190 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 18:33
Re: Near Al Menir
The Adept does not feel the disquiet others do ...
Shroud
 player, 60 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 19:20
Re: Near Al Menir
Bow in hand Shroud quietly moves with the group, seemingly unaffected by the mysterious force at work.


OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 61 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 19:21
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke too is oblivious to the wierd effect of this place.


OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Feylan
 player, 6 posts
 Timber Wolf
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 19:22
Re: Near Al Menir
Feylan follows along side his partner faithfully.


OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Gareth
 player, 549 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 19:48
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Feylan (msg # 590):

Gareth, as determined and stubborn as ever, notices Amelia wandering off...he goes up to her.

"Where are you going? This way..."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 340 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 20:12
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron hears Gareth, and turns around to see Amelia wandering off a bit.  He opens his mouth to say something, but then thinks better of it.  Instead, he thinks to himself a moment.  Gareth was perhaps not the best person to shepherd along the people who were affected by the magical effect on the land.  However, he also tended to get in trouble some when left to his own devices.  It wasn't the easiest decision.  However, after a moment of reflection, Haveron decides on the latter.  He wanted to see how it worked out.

With a bit of shortness in his comment, Haveron states flatly "Gareth, please see to Amelia and Omar, please."

He then turns back around and continues to lead the way with Burke.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 70 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 20:21
Re: Near Al Menir
Amelia looks back at Gareth, with a confused look on her face.  Absently she fingers the chain and pendant hanging around her neck.  She responds "But the path is over here...", only to have her eyes open a bit wider after looking again.  She then looks over at the real path, and sighs in a frustrated manner.  With a sidelong glance at Omar, and a certain understanding and empathy in her eyes, Amelia responds to Gareth.  "The magic here fooled my eyes.  I thought the path went that way.  Now I don't trust myself.  Lead on."
Gareth
 player, 550 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 06:44
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 593):

"Magic can have a lot of strange effects. I could even show you how you die, but not everyone is able to handle that vision, and even if they can, it doesn't have to be. The world of magic is rarely as it seems. This way now..."
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 62 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 18:55
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke turns suddenly at Gareth's words.   His face scrunches up in shock and confusion.  ”I hear you right?  You can show me my death?”  The very idea that Burke's fate was known to the universe, a fixed point and event in time just waiting to happen was both mind blowing and chilling.  Bechazruhk had always thought of death as a kind of random event.

This began a cascade of thinking into other previously assumed 'random' events.  Last month when Burke's hand slipped due to juice from broiled chicken and he lost his grip on the clay pitcher holding wine, the result was that the wine decanter smashed onto the floor and broke into a hundred pieces.  Was this event destined to happen?  Unavoidable?  How many others in life were 'scheduled'?

Burke processes all of this in mere seconds, waffling through the temptation to ask to see his own death and drifting to a healthy fear of the knowledge.  In the end he does not ask and decides that Gareth is right.  Most cannot handle the truth.


OOC:
Ready to move on.

Gareth
 player, 551 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 19:24
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 595):

Gareth merely shrugs.

"Yeah. The power of magic. Kept me going in those vats, cause I knew it wasn't there. Weird, huh?"
Narrator
 GM, 7385 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 02:32
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 596):

You pass the treeline and enter the quiet woods.

Per rolls, at +4 for naturalists.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 191 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 03:36
Re: Near Al Menir
the adept looks around curiously ...
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 63 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 07:40
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke seems highly distracted.  While none know him well enough yet it is the odd state the woods that has him feeling off.  Its like an artist looking at a canvas where food instead of paint was used.  Its still art, but so odd.


OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Shroud
 player, 61 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 07:41
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud walks along quietly bow in hand as is his usual mode.


OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 341 posts
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 15:15
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron finds himself torn between watching the way in front of them and making sure the people in the group don't wander off.
Ryojin
 player, 39 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 15:20
Re: Near Al Menir
Ryojin follows the group into the woods.

OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Narrator
 GM, 7389 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 15:51
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 599):

The spacing of the older trees (three hundred years if a day) is deliberate... these were planted long ago in a circular pattern, but the younger trees aeem to have grown naturally.

There seem to be blurry areas high in the branches of the older trees that seem hard to look directly at, but out ofvthe corner of your eue you can see what look like black tablets with writing.

Partway along the planted trees is a sign of a fire within the last six months. One of the great trees appears to have been struck y lightning. And the undergrowth has barely recovered. It is much easier to see in that direction.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:50, Sun 09 Feb.

Gareth
 player, 552 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 22:14
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 603):

"OOh, fire was here. Let me see..."

Gareth will naturally go and investigate.

"So guys, what do you think? You feel comfortable here? No? There can't be. Something even the dead are afraid of? What could it bee..."

His voice, low at the start, trails off...

This message was last edited by the player at 22:16, Fri 07 Feb.

Berry
 player, 166 posts
 Mage
Sat 8 Feb 2020
at 06:31
Re: Near Al Menir
Ugh, something is weird here. I'm tempted to say set it on fire... actually don't. The kitty probably lives in these woods.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 64 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 8 Feb 2020
at 17:44
Re: Near Al Menir
Burkes steps grow slower as the sight of the circle of tall, older trees comes close.  The dirty hippy becomes quiet and thoughtful as his smile fades into sorrow.  With so much talk of the unnatural he is gladdened to see the signs of lightning as the cause for the recent fire.

He pats Feylans head and scratches the old wolf behind the ears before stepping forward.  Then he says with regret dripping from his words.  ”I know lots of prayers.  Sadly, I don't know none to heal these burns.”


OOC:
Burke wants to see and touch the damaged flora even though he cannot really help.  So'll move forward to Gareth, and he has no answer for Gareths intriging question.

Burke wants to read what is written on the black tablets.  If I can read from the ground, just move to them and read them but do not touch.  If they are high up then turn into a barn owl and fly up to read them.

Gareth
 player, 553 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 8 Feb 2020
at 23:08
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 606):

The more perceptive may notice Gareth was not actually talking to any of you...
Narrator
 GM, 7395 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 14:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 606):

The tablets are very hard to look at. Will roll please.

Gareth can see that a tree fell over when struck by lightning, breaking the circlr.

Thaumatology from those who have it please
Gareth
 player, 554 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 19:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 608):

Gareth looks carefully at the tablets and the tree, wondering if the lightning that caused it to fall was natural, and the effects on the circle of trees. What were they here for anyway?
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 192 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 20:05
Re: Near Al Menir
The Adept looks curiously at the tablets up in the trees, wondering what were meant to do.
Narrator
 GM, 7398 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 20:15
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 609):

The way these items behave, they were enchanted with Avoidance at a very high level. It is likely that more are buried on the path. These could be valuable (indeed , one of the sages expressed interest) but how to get them home? The writing seems to shift, but is in eldritch.
Gareth
 player, 555 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 20:46
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 611):

Gareth will pass this to the others. How heavy are they?
Narrator
 GM, 7399 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 20:47
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 612):

You need to climb 8 yards up to find out.
Gareth
 player, 556 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:00
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 613):

Gareth looks for ways to climb up, but cannot seem to get off the ground...he can surely see how big they are from the ground?
Narrator
 GM, 7401 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:03
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 614):

Gareth avoids more than a little scuffing
and indignity  from the fall.
Gareth
 player, 557 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:09
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 615):

Fortunately Gareth was never one to worry about what others thought.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 342 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 16:47
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron finds himself unsure of how to proceed.  The trees have obviously been enchanted, and it seems like the tablets are the likely cause.  They are hard to look at, and he can tell it's source of the aversion.  After watching the rest of the group react and take action for a couple minutes, Haveron walks over to Gareth and speaks.

"Gareth, stop for a moment.  I have a question.

I can see you have shown an interest in the tablets.  I don't know if you mean to take one to sell, or if you prefer to study it.  However, have you considered the wisdom in leaving it for now?

Those tablets might keep us very safe overnight.  We had to struggle to enter this circle, and some of us almost did not make it.  It seems to be the same for nature.  We would not have to worry about any wild animals attacking us overnight.  Only those enchanted by our target are likely to find us.  And that would tell us if he is actively watching us, or if we have thus far escaped detection.

I would consider this a good test.  What I need is your judgement.  Would this be a safe place for us to stay?"

Gareth
 player, 558 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 18:54
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 617):

"For now I just wanted to study it, but selling it later also came to mind. You have a point, though. However, if we took one with us, then we might just be carrying around a safe zone, where we would not be attacked wherever we rest. That is, if taking one is an option at all..."
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 65 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 19:27
Re: Near Al Menir
The dirty hippy is interested in seeing what the fuss is about concerning the hung tablets.  He gets close from his ground vantage point and squints at the placards but finds it difficult to focus.  This is odd, why should he have such a hard time reading writing?  Why else would someone hang signs if they weren't meant to be read?  And then it hits him.  Magic!


OOC:
Shroud has no interest in reading the tablets.  He will keep lookout while the others investigate the trees and black tablets.

Amelia Montaigne
 player, 71 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 21:02
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 619):

"Taking one with you would also start to drive the rest of us away. It is a long journey back, and while the sage expressed an interest in buying such a rare item, they, and anyone else you dealt with might have trouble noticing you."



Make a thaumatology roll...
Berry
 player, 167 posts
 Mage
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 01:19
Re: Near Al Menir
"I'm not carrying one of those back. How about anyone who wants one can take one, haul it themselves and keep all the profit from it?"
Gareth
 player, 560 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 01:36
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 621):

"That sounds fine, if it is even possible. But they are for later, for now, as Haveron suggested it might be a good place to rest and use as a base, from which we can scout around. Of course, if the creature that enchanted this place is still around, it might be that they can see this place easily. The magic may repel the weak of mind, but it may also serve as a focus for scrying. Let me think back to what I read about such things..."
Narrator
 GM, 7420 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 21:09
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 622):

Avoidance as a spell usually is not combined with scryguard... but it could be.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 343 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 22:30
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron takes note of the conversation, but in the end his decision is the same.  "Set up camp here.  We are bound to have trials over the next several days.  This place is as good as any to rest up in preparation.  Leave the tablets in place for now.  If we want one later, then we can consider them after our task has been completed.

Amelia has a point.  We have already had friction during our travels, Gareth.  It will only get worse if no one in the group even acknowledges your presence, because of the magic in the tablet.  If we get to that point, let it be for more natural reasons."


Haveron can't resist a bit of a smirk after making that last comment, although he does try to say it with a straight face.
Gareth
 player, 568 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 01:04
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 624):

Noticing the smirk, Gareth cannot help reply.

"On the contrary, if no one notices me, I suspect thing will run much smoother. Perhaps I need a ring or coat with this spell on it..."
Narrator
 GM, 7427 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 15:16
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 625):

Carrying such a thing might clear s path for you, or make it harder for attackers to approach you, but the same holds for tradesman, food sellers and the like. Archers will have no problem  though, and youbwill have no onr to shield you.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 344 posts
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 17:35
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron will set the watch schedule as they prepare to camp for the night.  It seems the tablet discussion has been completed, and everyone has had a chance to look around.

OOC We'll go with the same watch schedule as before, in the interest of moving things along.

Haveron Amelia
Ryujin Gareth
Adept Shroud
Omar Burke

As long as no one else has any RP to add, I think we can move along.

Gareth
 player, 569 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 19:14
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 627):

OOC: Yep, ready to move along. Just playing to his social skill Narrator!

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 66 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 06:34
Re: Near Al Menir

OOC: All set here to camp for the night. 

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 193 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 14:15
Re: Near Al Menir
Yessss ready
Ryojin
 player, 41 posts
 Martial artist
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 15:40
Re: Near Al Menir
I be ready!
Narrator
 GM, 7431 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 21:07
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 631):

The night is eerily  quiet. Close to dawn there are a number of coughing roars similar to that of the triger, but they are far from the treeline.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 345 posts
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 21:28
Re: Near Al Menir
In the morning, Haveron takes charge of camp, as he frequently does.  He'll ask Burke and Shroud to scout their path ahead for maybe 100 yards, to make sure they are on the right path.  The rest of the group will break camp, handle breakfast, and prepare for the travel ahead.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 19 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 21:33
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar is already packed for the morning, since he has the last watch.  As they are going about the morning's business, he comments "I have never seen it so quiet at night.  Not even in Al Menir."
Gareth
 player, 570 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 23:59
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 634):

Gareth creates some meals from the wood of the trees, and passes it around.
Ryojin
 player, 42 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 01:34
Re: Near Al Menir
Ryojin would have woken up early to practice and meditates before consuming some food and helping out breaking camp.
Shroud
 player, 62 posts
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 17:12
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud sits through his watch quietly.  He neither makes a large effort to talk nor does he ignore his companion should the cleric want to talk.  The scout seems indifferent to conversation.



OOC:
Shroud has a dislike for personal hygiene so being a few days from town where he got a bath he's likely beginning to smell a bit ripe, if you get close enough.

Shroud isnt anti social he's just a bit like Spock from Star Treak.  He doesnt talk for the pleasure of it.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 67 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 17:25
Re: Near Al Menir
Bechazruhk spends his time pacing back and forth around the camp.  He knows he shouldn't speak, lest he wake his comrades or draw the attention of beasts, but he cannot resist the urge once or twice.  He wanders near Omar, leans in and hisses with irritation.  ”Hear that??!!”  The man replies negatively.  Burke throws up his hands.  ”Exactly!  Not a peep.  I mean, I know these woods is weird.  Wizards house or daemon prison or such, but aint no chirp, squawk nor chitter.”



OOC:
Burke understands that this place is out of the ordinary but as someone who has a deep love of wilderness he's a bit unnerved by the lack of it.

In the morning Burke will spend no less than 30 minutes performing his prayers, chants and rituals which involve cleaning up 'the wild'.  He will tend to broken/damaged plants.  Plant seeds.  Etc.

Regardless of the taste Burke happily eats the food made from trees.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 194 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 18:10
Re: Near Al Menir
The Adept waves away the proffered food with thanks but eats what he brought, which appears to be mostly dried meat.
Narrator
 GM, 7441 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 20:27
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 639):

While Ryojin is doing his forms, he espies an odd looking mound at the base of one of the trees.
Ryojin
 player, 44 posts
 Martial artist
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 23:27
Re: Near Al Menir
Once he has finished his forms and balanced his chi for the day he moves over and inspects the mound. Seeing nothing of note he attempts to sit on it.


ooc: Per rolled, failed by 2.
Berry
 player, 168 posts
 Mage
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 02:11
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry takes the proffered food, all to happy to not have to create the food herself.
Gareth
 player, 572 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 09:54
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 642):

Noticing Ryojin looking  at something, Gareth goes to offer him food.

"Have something to eat. What is it?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 346 posts
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 16:24
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron walks over to see what's going on after he notices Gareth also approaching Ryojin.
Narrator
 GM, 7456 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 22:57
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 644):

Per rolls at +2
Gareth
 player, 573 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 00:30
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 645):

Another? Last was 4 under...
Berry
 player, 169 posts
 Mage
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 00:41
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry looks over in the direction of the responsible people.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 195 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 02:05
Re: Near Al Menir
The adept notices the gathering building....
Shroud
 player, 63 posts
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 07:29
Re: Near Al Menir

OOC:
Dice rolls in PM

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 68 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 07:30
Re: Near Al Menir

OOC:
Dice rolls in PM

This message was last edited by the player at 07:30, Wed 26 Feb.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 347 posts
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 15:20
Re: Near Al Menir
As Haveron walks up to Gareth and Ryojin, he asks simply "What's going on?"
Ryojin
 player, 45 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 23:12
Re: Near Al Menir
Gareth:
In reply to Berry (msg # 642):

Noticing Ryojin looking  at something, Gareth goes to offer him food.

"Have something to eat."


Ryojin looks puzzled as everyone begins to approach him, it reminds him of small animals gathering to try and get some food.

"Thank you, but I must maintain my diet to keep my Chi balanced."

Gareth:
"What is it?"
 


Even more puzzled. He follows his eyes to the mound he is sitting on.

"It is where I sit."
Ryojin
 player, 46 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 23:14
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron Stormwal:
As Haveron walks up to Gareth and Ryojin, he asks simply "What's going on?"



"Sitting and eating and talking sir Stormwal."


ooc: Ryojin has no idea why everyone is gathering around him lol
Narrator
 GM, 7463 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 17:30
Re: Near Al Menir
The mound is a pack grown over with moss, and beside it is the shape of a body long gone to earth.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 348 posts
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 17:39
Re: Near Al Menir
"There is a pack under that moss.  Let's see what is in it."
Narrator
 GM, 7469 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 20:14
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 655):

The old treated leather rips as youpull on it, spilling out some rolls of treated leather in slightly better condition. It is stiff and cracking, but not rotted through.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 349 posts
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 21:50
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveeron will hand his sword to Amelia so he can get both hands on the pack.

She buckles under the weight of it and almost drops it.

Looking at Gareth, Haveron suggests "Gareth, we should look at the remains as well.  No, please do not raise the corpse.  But, he probably got stuck here for a long time.  It might give us some clue as we look forward on our mission.  And, you know more about corpses than anyone else here."

OOC Haveron will take extra care to make sure he does not damage the contents of the pack any further, as he digs it out and looks it over.
Narrator
 GM, 7476 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 2 Mar 2020
at 21:07
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 657):

The two large leather rolls crack as you unfold them, they are bundles of tools, most rusted or corroded, and in very poor condition. The pack also hasd a since rotted sack of nails, all fused into a lump of rust, and there is a half rotted box with a few rusty caltrops in it.
Also in the pack are several glass vials. Most are empty, but three remain to have contents.

There is also a stoppered ivory scroll case.

The body, which is skeletal,  had a few more rusted implements in bandoliers or sheaths, on bekts accross the chest and in long compartmentalized pouches on either side.
A badly corroded set of brass mounted goggles are strapped to the skull.

Beneath the body are two metal implements that seem in better condition.
One is a crowbar made of a dark bronze material, the other seems to be a minimally rusted steel rod that looks like it could extend, with a hinged mirror at one end and a leather wrapped handle on the other.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:08, Mon 02 Mar.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 350 posts
Mon 2 Mar 2020
at 22:37
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron very carefully removes all the items from the backpack, setting the vials with liquid and the scroll case aside from the other rotted and rusted implements.

He comments "This seems like a strange assortment of items.  He has nails but no hammer.  But he does have a crow bar for pulling nails?  But why would he then save them?  This makes no sense."
Narrator
 GM, 7478 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 01:41
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 659):

Among the implements at his waist were three different species of hammer. There are also wrenches, pliars, shears, gravers, tweezers, awls, chisels, burins,  locksmithing and jeweler's tools, saws, files, rasps, and a couple of non combat knives.
Berry
 player, 170 posts
 Mage
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 04:52
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry watches and asks the question on her mind "Wait, so what's the group opinion on graverobbing?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 351 posts
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 16:01
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron replies absently "I don't think this counts as a grave.  He died here and no one has been here since.  He was never properly laid to rest."
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 196 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 16:44
Re: Near Al Menir
Sssoo we Sssshould do that
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 352 posts
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 17:05
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron stops working with the backpack for a moment, and looks up.  Considering recent discussion with Gareth, the topic was more delicate than it would normally be.  Not everyone in the group would care about being laid to rest.  Gareth would probably welcome being raised from the dead.  It wasn't easy to pick his words correctly.

After a couple seconds of thought, he answers the lizard man "I do not know what rites would be appropriate.  If you do, then please carry them out when we are done.  Many, or even most, would want the same consideration. We will assume he might want that."

After another couple seconds, he adds "It's sad that he died alone."
Shroud
 player, 64 posts
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 19:40
Re: Near Al Menir
Shroud seems quite indifferent to pilfering the remains of the deceased and when Berry asks he answers stoically.  ”We don't know next of kin and he wont be using it.  Might as well serve someone else.”
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 69 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 19:46
Re: Near Al Menir
The dirty hippy comes close to look the remains over.  He doesn't have the keen eye to examine for hidden clues but it is a curious situation.  ”What were he doin' here?  He was'a craftsman.”  The words come out more as a question than a statement.  ”Was he the one who hung the signs in the trees?”
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 197 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 21:15
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 664):

I do not know hisss belief, but we can sssshow resssspect, bury his remainssss and ssssay sssome wordsss.
Gareth
 player, 574 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 04:02
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 667):

Gareth watches this with some amusement.

"You do know I could ask him, right?"
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 198 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 04:04
Re: Near Al Menir
He just looks at Gareth and slowly shakes his head "No"
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 72 posts
 Agent about town
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 02:26
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 669):

"He could ask him what he was doing here, and if word needs be sent to his family, as well as how best to lay him to rest, and ask his permission for his goods."
Var
 NPC, 40 posts
 Goblin servant
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 02:35
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 670):

There is a loud bang and a puff of greasy sulpherous smoke, and Berry's servant stumbles into the clearing, bleeding heavily from his shoulder.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:45, Fri 06 Mar.

Gareth
 player, 575 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 04:03
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 671):

That got Gareths attention. He readies a fireball...

"Where the hell have you been?"
Shroud
 player, 65 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 19:38
Re: Near Al Menir
Faster than it seems a man should be able to an arrow moves with uncanny speed from his quiver into his bow.  Like the hard wire of a crossbow snapping with the release of tension his arm snaps backwards so that his hand is abreast of his face, the bowstring pulled to its limits.

When he realizes that the sudden arrival is friendly he returns the arrow to its container and once again relaxes.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 353 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 20:12
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron looks over at the new arrival, and watches the scene develop for a moment.  Then, in a measured tone, he asks "Gareth, what is this and what is going on?  I require an explanation."
Berry
 player, 171 posts
 Mage
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 04:04
Re: Near Al Menir
"I think Gareth is just defaulting to a cautious response when faced with something sudden. Var, if you carry one of these weird stones back to sell you can probably make some cash. Also we are engaging in technically not grave robbing now. I assume you approve." Berry tries to diffuse conflict and updates Var on the situation.
Var
 NPC, 41 posts
 Goblin servant
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 13:37
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 672):

"I was at my other gig, and I've been through Hell.
Some doofus with Meikka came after me, I left him in the pit behind me,
even though I offered a ride along. Enchanted stones? Ya may not have noticed,
 but willpower isn't my strong suit."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:35, Sat 07 Mar.

Gareth
 player, 576 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 04:27
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 676):

In reply to Var (msg # 676):

"You can wait in line for an explanation, or ask someone who has one!"

He responds in an irritated manner to Haveron, who seemingly ignored his own request for the very same thing.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 354 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 14:55
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron frowns back at Gareth and speaks more sternly.  "Gareth, who is this, and how does he appear out of no where, knowing who you are, in the middle of our journey?  I fear whatever magic is at play could attract the attention of our target.  Like I said, I would like an explanation of whatever just happened here."
Gareth
 player, 577 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 19:45
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 678):

"Are you FUCKING RETARDED? How the FUCK do I know? How many times do I have to tell you before you get it through your thick friggen head, I DON"T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON! That is why I am creating a fireball!"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 19:45, Sun 08 Mar.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 356 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 20:08
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron is obviously taken aback by Gareth's response, but does not react impulsively.  Instead, he looks at the mage quizzically for a moment, with a confused look on his face.  Then he responds with a measured voice.  Haveron is a man who is accustomed to leading, and someone who has seen this reaction before.

"Gareth, you reacted with some sort of ownership over this...creature.  I assumed he was yours.  Perhaps that was incorrect?

Conjuring up a fireball could be interpreted as a defensive response to the creature's appearance.  Or, you could be defending him from whatever might have injured him.  Both interpretations seem legitimate considering I do not understand how magic works.  I am confused as to the situation.

I ask again, what is going on here?  Berry, you seem friendly with the creature, as you spoke to it that way.  Perhaps you can explain the situation without taking offense?"

Berry
 player, 172 posts
 Mage
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 20:23
Re: Near Al Menir
"Var? He was with us on the caravan trip. He's my friend slash minion. He sometimes wanders off or poofs in. He's reasonably sneaky which can come in handy. Calm down everyone. He's trustworthy. Well, he wouldn't do something that would hurt me. We can all calm down."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 358 posts
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 22:36
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron cocks his head to the side, although his voice softens some. "I never really associated the two of you together, although I did see him around.  I assume there is some magical reason why he travels with you?  Maybe if you take a minute to help me understand, I will be less confused when he arrives like this out of no where.  With Gareth reacting so strongly, I was unsure how to take things."
Gareth
 player, 579 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 05:24
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 680):

Seeing the situation resolving itself, Gareth turns his attention back to Berries servant.

"You usually are not so obvious, or damaged. Should we be expecting guests?"
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 70 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 18:47
Re: Near Al Menir
The dirty hippy watches with fascination the dynamic among his new traveling companions and employer. 'Ol Burke what'd ya gone an' get yerself inta? he thinks to himself.



OOC:
Just waiting for the scene to settle into the next scene.

Var
 NPC, 42 posts
 Goblin servant
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 13:59
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 682):

"I been with Berry da whole time, at least when I don't get called up fir another gig. I think dat one is kinda winding down, tho."
Gareth
 player, 580 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 19:23
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 685):

"Well, I did not see who hit you. Is there anyone else coming?"
Var
 NPC, 43 posts
 Goblin servant
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 23:55
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 686):


"I was in the...a friend's shop, and there was a raid by a whole crew, and this bozo carrying Meikka, this sword I ain't fond of, an he lit into me, an chased me into the terminal.  He was about to get in a fight wit a goon I wouldn't mess wit, an I told him he'd be better off here wit us. Guess he's getting his ass handed to im now."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 13:50, Fri 13 Mar.

Gareth
 player, 581 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 08:50
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 687):

"Oooh, a fight. Is there anything to be gained by joining the fight?"
Var
 NPC, 44 posts
 Goblin servant
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 13:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 688):

"You can't get there from here. I can only go if I am summoned."
Gareth
 player, 582 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 21:44
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 689):

"And they cannot follow you here?"
Var
 NPC, 45 posts
 Goblin servant
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 01:23
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 690):

"Well, dat guy at least can't come through on his own. The gates only open when an inf... one a da local guys switches it on, and then it is open for a second or two."
Gareth
 player, 583 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 01:45
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 691):

"Waaait a minute. When a what? You are not a normal goblin, are you now..."
Var
 NPC, 46 posts
 Goblin servant
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 19:32
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 692):

"I yam wot I yam. Dats noimal for me. Wot's it to ya? You never cared to axe nothing about who I was deese past coupla weeks, like I neva axed you about where ya from. I just have an idear bout where ya might end up."
Gareth
 player, 584 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 21:40
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 693):

"You never did, true enough. But everyone else is very concerned about such matters...sometimes they pertain to what your intentions are incertain life or death situations, so it is good to know folk you fight with."
Ryojin
 player, 50 posts
 Martial artist
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 03:42
Re: Near Al Menir
"I have no concerns." Ryojin chimes as he practices some moves on the side.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 73 posts
 Agent about town
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 16:28
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Ryojin (msg # 695):

"Personally, I don't care about who Berry has working for her. Aside from that business with the farmer's daughter along the way, but Var did say that was consensual, so I really don't see much of an issue, altho7gh I am not entirely sure what it is that he does for her... in any case, let's look over this man's gear if the consensus is that we can't ask him anything about this place, we may be able to deduce what he was doing by looking at what he had with him."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 359 posts
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 19:04
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron watches the whole interplay carefully, and attentively.  As the discussion proceeds, he considers the abrupt arrival by Var from several different angles.  In the end, he nods at Amelia, and moves forward.

"I do not understand all of this magical discussion, but I do understand building a group of people you can count on.  We may not exactly agree on any number of things, but we can all agree that we need each other to succeed on this mission.  Var, I expect you to behave in a manner we would condone while you are with us.  Beyond that, the extra set of hands is appreciated.  Let's examine this man's gear, and them move forward with our task."
Gareth
 player, 585 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 19:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 697):

"Odd. I have simple ways to find out this, but you would prefer infernal assistance to talking with the dead...hypocrites." he mutters to himself.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 360 posts
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 22:20
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron stops in his tracks, and turns to face Gareth.  The man took every opportunity to needle him, and this moment was no different.  However, He still does not react impulsively.  Instead, in a measured voice, he addresses the mage evenly, with the faintest edge of frustration.  Or perhaps it's malice.  Different people will probably hear it differently.

"I lead this group Gareth.  You have made it amply clear that you do not agree with some of my decisions.  I respect that.  We are all different people here, with different backgrounds.  Not everyone will agree with my opinions, nor will they agree with your opinions.

When we come together for a mutual goal like this, we all agree to work together.  As the leader, I have to make decisions that everyone can be comfortable with.  Some here do not care if you use your  death magic.  However, some do, to the point that they would consider leaving us.  That puts your life at risk, as well as everyone else's.

You suggest Var is some sort of demon.  I do not want him here if that is the truth.  However, I also have to look at the bigger goal out in front of us and make a judgement call.  If he behaves himself, then he can be with us and we might be better off for it.  If he does not I will ask him to leave.  It's as simple as that.

Now, Gareth, that brings us back to you.  I have no problem is you disagree with me.  However, spiteful comments behind my back or under your breath do nothing but destroy our group.  Thus, I will ask the same question I have asked of Var.  Are you going to work with the group, and behave yourself?  Or, do I need to ask you to leave?"


OOC Yes, I know, playing your character.  And I'm absolutely sure you get a kick out of twisting the knife in Haveron's back.  It just happens that his disads point him at building a group, so he will be patient with Gareth.  But, I hope it's clear he is pushing the line here.  That's of course what you were trying to do, and he fell over himself taking the bait, but...  It's how I think this goes down.

I'm going to suggest to the GM that Haveron deserves a medal for this.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:21, Mon 16 Mar.

Gareth
 player, 586 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 07:00
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 699):

"I have worked with the group and even restricted myself to their hypocritical lines of morality, despite not agreeing with them, so far, and if I am going to change that I will make it known.

But since we are here on a hunch of demonic activity at the tower, you have to appreciate my concern of having a character here that uses a portal smelling of sulphur every so often, for his other 'job'. You are so concerned about the safety of the group, so you say, but when the group is threatened by a three headed tiger and I deal with it, you criticize me. When a member arrived from hell through a portal and I and nervous, since we are here to deal with a possible demon, you criticize me and suggest I leave. Is it really the safety of the group you are concerned with? Whatever I have said, I have been consistent and done things to look after the group. You do what you think is best...you will anyway. But hypocrites are one of my pet peeves, so don't be one!
"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 361 posts
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 15:51
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron breaks into a wide smile at Gareth's response.  He even chuckles a little bit.  In something of an amused response he asks "Well, I'm not the person on a first name basis with Var.  You have obviously worked together before, because you know him rather well.  You accuse me of being a hypocrite, but I don't think you're any different than me in this situation.  Instead of calling me names, and pointing out my inconsistencies, perhaps you should take a look at yourself first."

Haveron then becomes serious, and it's rather sudden considering his amused demeanor a moment before. His face drains of emotion, and he looks at Gareth coldly, in a pointed fashion.  "Now, I have entertained your behavior about enough.  I asked you politely to curb your behavior, and stop tearing the group apart.  In response to that, you called me a hypocrite.  I have had enough.  Everyone else is standing around doing nothing while I endlessly handle your childish behavior.  While you ask good questions, we would probably all agree that you lack a lot of maturity.  You can keep your opinions to yourself for the rest of the trip, or you can leave.  I won't ask the rest of the group to wait up on you every time you want to whine like a little baby.  The choice is yours.  What's it going to be Gareth?"
Gareth
 player, 587 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 19:29
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 701):

"Again, it is you tearing the group apart. I have said my piece, and raised my concerns. If that is too much for you, then you use your pretense of maturity to kick out any who voice concerns. The choice is not mine, but yours. I have had 400 years in a friggin bottle to think about my values and what I do, and I have them as consistent as I can.

Berry has kept her friend to herself, and I have had no reason to question what he is until now. I would have thought that raised concerns that it would be good to hear answers to, but if you are happy to have a potential infernal amoung you, fine. I can live with that, albeit uncomfortably.

But I am not the one judging others, other than in self-defence. I have constantly been looking at defending the group and looking out for the groups interest, but you seem to consider that divisive, despite the fact that unless i am looking at raising the dead, you are the only one voicing objections. So my intentions have been clear. If your insecurities require asking me to leave so you feel comfortable, you do that. Otherwise, cut the bluster and lets get on with the mission.
"
Var
 NPC, 47 posts
 Goblin servant
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 20:37
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 702):

Whispers to Berry:
""I shoulda brought popcorn. My other gig is in retail, an they had some inna shop."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 17:42, Wed 18 Mar.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 362 posts
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 21:03
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron shakes his head.  For several seconds.  The man was completely oblivious to his own failings.  He was so busy attacking everyone else that he could not see his own errors in judgement.  And to have Gareth along would mean baby sitting him the rest of the way.  Gareth considers the possibilities as he thinks, and then responds in a softer voice.

"Many people objected to your death magic.  I made the decision when I judged it would split the group.  Do not blame me for the discomfort of many.

You say that you are only acting in self defense.  Just a moment ago, you judged me a hypocrite.  And I took your bait by responding out of frustration more than I should have.  I lead this group, and need to show more maturity than that.  However, it does not change your bad behavior.

Take a walk, Gareth.  I can see you are frustrated, and responding in a heated fashion.  You need to cool off, as do I.  While you are gone, the rest of us will decide your fate.  I do not believe you can be present for this, because I don't see that you can stop yourself from responding out of anger and frustration."


Haveron will gesture for Gareth to leave, politely.
Gareth
 player, 588 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 06:28
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 704):

"Fine. Have a nice chat."

He heads on in a direction that irks his fancy.

[OOC: Sorry for splitting the group GM, but I have been given marching orders. What directions does Gareth have as options?]
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 364 posts
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 15:10
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron watches Gareth go for his walk.  It saddens him that they had wasted so much time arguing.  He felt like the rest of the group had suffered while he paid exclusive attention to Gareth.  It didn't seem right, nor did he feel like the group's morale was good at the moment.  Haveron hated asking Gareth to step away, but they needed the time out.  Both of them did.

The situation was tricky, and Haveron did not know how best to handle it.  Turning to the rest of the group, Haveron looks at them, and sighs.  His face looks sad, or even wistful, and he addresses them softly.  "I apologize for arguing with Gareth.  He is very talented, but also very difficult to manage.  I let that frustration get to me.  In the interest of everyone, I also plan to take a short walk to clear my head.  You all would probably agree it is for the best.

While Gareth and I are gone, please discuss a couple things.

First, I would like for you to make a decision on Gareth.  We all welcome his ability, but his view on magic and death in particular makes some people uncomfortable.  I know the Adept in particular seemed uncomfortable with raising the dead.  And, he argues a lot, which is terrible for morale.  We would all agree that having him along gives us a better chance of success.  But, if we ask him to stay, then we also have to manage his opinions and behaviors.  Please decide if you want him to stay, and then how best to deal with him going forward.  For example, he seems to get along well with Berry.  Maybe she should take the lead with him so we can avoid arguments.  I welcome your opinions and suggestions on how best to handle the situation.

Secondly, I would like your guidance on how I have led, and how I can do better.  The past few minutes have not been a very good example of leadership.  Arguing with Gareth resulted in people standing around uncomfortably instead of us working together.  Please help me to navigate these difficult moments with more grace.  I care about us being successful, not about my pride.  The trip has had some difficult moments thus far, and I want to avoid them going forward."


With a slight nod of his head, Haveron wrings his hands for just a second, in a sort of anxious or apprehensive fashion, and then walks away from the group in the opposite direction from Gareth.

OOC  As a reminder Haveron is attractive and has some charisma when he speaks.  Mostly that is for PCs, but I mention it here in case it matters for player responses.

Also, I don't necessarily plan to divide the group here.  Mostly just giving Gareth and Haveron a time out while the rest discuss among themselves.  In real life walking away from these heated moments is just good sense.  I think the same would apply in this setting.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:12, Wed 18 Mar.

Narrator
 GM, 7552 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 17:54
Re: Near Al Menir
Gareth soon finds himself absently walking in a circle, as the ru estones repell him.

In the meantime, who is taking a clorser look at the dead man's gear?
Gareth
 player, 590 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 19:50
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 707):

Gareth will try to work out the spell ensnaring him after about the first few laps...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 366 posts
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 21:05
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC I imagine Haveron and Gareth are in orbit around the main group in the middle considering the ring of trees and tablets.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 199 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 23:33
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 707):

The Adept will look at it and the remains to see how he may have died ... he has some medical ability....
Berry
 player, 173 posts
 Mage
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 21:53
Re: Near Al Menir
"I think Gareth is fine. Var will behave himself. Var behave. I'll try to magic up some popcorn"

Berry will gather up some dirt and pebbles and then cast essential food on it.
 (Got an 11 on essential food, 10/14FP)
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 200 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 23:48
Re: Near Al Menir
He Ssstay, but not make dead come back.
Narrator
 GM, 7562 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 20:30
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 712):

The artificer died of starvation.

Haveron is correct, without a deliberate act of will, it is hard to walk a straight line here
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 201 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 02:57
Re: Near Al Menir
A sssslow death, not a kind one.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 368 posts
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 00:30
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC When Gareth returns to camp, Haveron will do the same.
Gareth
 player, 593 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 04:17
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 715):

Gareth is waiting to be called back, since he was sent out.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 71 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 18:37
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
My state announced today a mandatory work shut down for non essential workers along with a stay at home order.  I am considered in the essential group and am being offered copious amounts of OT.  I apologize but it will severely limit my ability to post.  Thanks for your patience.

Burke and Shroud feel the same.  They only wouldn't want Gareth around if he does something super creepy like animates people we know and tries to have them act as regular servants (or animals in Burke's case).  But Gareth has agreed not to do this so they're cool with him.  As for speaking with dead, both are ok with it.  To these two speaking with the dead isn't a far stretch from séances which isnt super creepy. 

Narrator
 GM, 7574 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 19:40
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 717):

Good luck!


Anyone reviewing to bottles or scrolls?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 369 posts
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 20:09
Re: Near Al Menir
Amelia will examine the bottles and scrolls.  She doesn't have any magical ability, so if she doesn't know what they are she will refer them to Berry, Burke, or maybe the Adept.

OOC Haveron will circle until Gareth returns.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 74 posts
 Agent about town
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 20:15
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 719):

"Not sure about these bials, although one lookd like it might be Bladeblack.  These scrolls... are diagrams or plans for building something. There is some kind of armor clockwork that looks lije someone is inside, and something that looks like a mechanical spider. There are some other devices that look like some kind of trap."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:16, Thu 26 Mar.

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 202 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 21:36
Re: Near Al Menir
Perhapssss for thisssss placssse we go?
Narrator
 GM, 7581 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 17:34
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 721):


Anyone with traps skill, or IQ-5 can benefit from this, and anyone who can make an engineering roll or IQ-6 can learn weaknesses of some of these things.

An armory (body armor) might also help evaluate several of these items.
Gareth
 player, 594 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 22:26
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 722):

Gareth can look at them if called upon to do so, otherwise he is circling as directed...
Ryojin
 player, 52 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 23:08
Re: Near Al Menir
Royjin as no problem with the way Gareth behaves because he is from a distant land and learned to accept all different types of behaviors, he is puzzled by Haveron's constant negative reactions to Gareth. He does not put much thought into it since he is also new to the group.
Narrator
 GM, 7591 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 18:07
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 723):

You will be able to recognize a few of these traps when you see them, and have insight into disarming them, or give a complimentary bonus to someone disarming.
Gareth
 player, 595 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 07:41
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 725):

Has the group finished discussing what to do with Gareth, or someone got bored enough to call him back in before he gets bored himself...and creates his own entertainment?
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 370 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 15:11
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC  Haveron was expecting the same -someone to step up and ask the question, then signal the 2 orbitals to return.  Not really something Amelia should do as she is an agent of Haveron.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 72 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 16:21
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Didn't realize Gareth and Haveron were still waiting.  Burke will call them back since nothing seems to be going on and the debate appears over.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 371 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 16:27
Re: Near Al Menir
When Haveron returns to the group, he seems much more relaxed.  He asks the group, simply, "What did you decide?"
Shroud
 player, 66 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 16:34
Re: Near Al Menir
Unceremoniously and rather stoically Shroud moves to the decaying corpse.  He lays his prized weapon, his longbow next to him on the soft ground while he unslings his pack with one swift move.  He unbuckles the flap and flings it open revealing the contents.  He reaches a hand in and digs around for a minute until he draws forth a wrapped leather bundle about the size of a steak.  He unfurls it.  Laid out neatly is a series of small metallic instruments.  Tiny daggers, hooks and spears, as if they were combat weapons to fight faeries.  Shroud snatches one up and begins poking at the dead mans possessions.


OOC:
No time to RP my response to Haveron.  Response for Burke and Shroud is as discussed above in OOC.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:34, Mon 30 Mar.

Gareth
 player, 596 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 19:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Shroud (msg # 730):

Gareth will return when called and start looking over the scrolls and other items. Noting Shroud look over what appear to be thieves tools, he is happy to let him have them...

[Thieves tools, leatherworking tools, Gareth would not know the difference...or care!]
Narrator
 GM, 7600 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 15:15
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 731):

Shroud will definately have a bonus to spot and remove the traps when he encounters them; Someone with armory: body armor make a roll at +2 (IQ-3) and IQ-6 also; Physiology (human) would also work; naturalist -3 might help with the spider related paperwork.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 372 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 15:32
Re: Near Al Menir
Now that Haveron is present, he looks at the armor.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 203 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 18:21
Re: Near Al Menir
He looks at the body and diagrams, puzzling over them
Narrator
 GM, 7607 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 19:32
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 734):

The armor drawn on the human like figure looks like it could ward off almost anything less than Gorgath's Doomrazor, but the ogre has long gone.

OOC: this thing would have something like 17 DR, and the armor looks bolted on

The creature within the heavy armor seems to have a lot of stitching on it... and the armor is bolted to it!
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 373 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 20:05
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC This is the original figure that was under the moss, as far as we know.  No mention of the armor back on page 27, but now that we are looking...  Is it a metal Haveron would recognize?  Some sort of hard plastic?  What other information can you give us on the armor?  Is it reasonable to assume the armor, and the items he is carrying, is beyond any smithing Haveron (or the group) has seen before?
Narrator
 GM, 7611 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 21:08
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 736):

This is not the d3ad guy, this is a schematic from his pack.
Gareth
 player, 597 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 22:24
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 737):

Gareth also got under IQ-6, so I thought the message about understanding the drawing was for him. If not, what did he pick up?
Narrator
 GM, 7623 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 21:31
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 738):

Make a hidden lore magic items roll.., twice
Gareth
 player, 598 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 05:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 739):

Gareth thinks about this...
Berry
 player, 174 posts
 Mage
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 17:29
Re: Near Al Menir
"So does it look like anything valuable?"
Narrator
 GM, 7638 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 21:24
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 739):

The spider thing is apparently a non magical golem that stays in close vicinty of a statue or shrine of a spider goddesss... if this place isn't home to it, then someone moved a shrine here. The critters are homogeneous and have no internal parts or targetable locations. The limbs are easier to break, but many need to be broken before it slows down, like 5 out of 8 legs before affecting them. Destroying the shrine might lower the sanctity that allows them to operate.
 The other sketch shows a compound golem; the fleshy interior, which shows signs of being built stronger than an average man, is wearing super heavy armor that is also a golem...

...Frankenstein's monster in power armor, essentially, and equipped with some type of magic sword, one that looks to be moderately pussiant.
Gareth
 player, 599 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 12 Apr 2020
at 23:29
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 742):

What would Gareth need to roll to work out weaknesses of these?
Narrator
 GM, 7653 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 13:57
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 743):

The armored golem looks like it would take a lot to put down, the spider might be deactivated by destroying the shrine, but otherwise has no vital areas.beyond that you have no suitable skills.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 374 posts
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 16:15
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron has been standing there, watching things develop as others examined the items in front of them.  They have found any number of very interesting items, and many of them were more advanced or beyond what he had experience with.  The situation hinted at more advanced magic and engineering than anything he had seen before.  It called for stepping out of his comfort zone, in the interest of everyone involved.

Haveron steps over to the Adept, and puts his hand gently on the lizard man's shoulder, in a friendly and perhaps brotherly sort of way.  "Adept, I respect your beliefs, and I have no wish to make you uncomfortable.  However, in this moment, I believe we need to know more about what happened with this person.  Please accept my forgiveness for asking this."

Haveron then turns his head so he can look at Gareth.  "Gareth, you said you could see how the man died.  I admittedly am not very comfortable with your death magic.  It has a bad reputation in my experience, and I am still not confident your judgement matches with mine.

However, in this case I think we need to better understand what we are dealing with.  This man has advanced tools, and drawings of what seems like highly advanced magic or engineering.  I cannot claim to understand much of it, really, and that gives me pause.

I would ask that you leave the dead man dead.  However, if you can see how he died, or gather information about his history, I think we need to know that.  It may tell us nothing, but it could also provide us with valuable information we may need to survive and finish this quest."


After saying that, Haveron pulls ever so gently on the adepts shoulder, seeking to guide him away from the scene.

OOC  Trying to show some character growth here, and acknowledge the mostly neutral opinions of the rest of the party, save the Adept (who has appropriate and strong objections, I am sure).  Haveron has good reason for the decision.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 75 posts
 Agent about town
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 22:07
Re: Near Al Menir
If we do this, then we need to ask him about burial arrangements, family and what religious devotions are needed to really put him to rest after questioning him. Adept, if you could help with laying him to rest, I am willing to get dirty and dig a grave, or donate my scarves for a shroud, whatever can make this right."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 375 posts
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 23:17
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron smiles at Amelia in a gentle and caring way.  The lines on his face become more apparent when he does it, but that just underlines how handsome he is.  Haveron nods slowly, and adds "A worthy addition, Amelia.  Thank you for suggesting that.  Perhaps that may comfort the Adept some, even though we will have to disturb the dead."
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 204 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 23:36
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 745):

Ssssso long assss Dead ssssstay Dead, no problem, we too talk with friend in afterlife at timessss. Undead Sssservant unholy. I help bury and Ssssend man to afterlife permanent.
Berry
 player, 175 posts
 Mage
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 01:22
Re: Near Al Menir
"Next time we're in town someone remind me to get the Spam Blocker for my afterlife. Var you do it if you remember."
Gareth
 player, 600 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 11:27
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 749):

Gareth nods.

"The dead will stay dead. I will call up his spirit and you may ask him what you will."

He goes to the body and begins casting...
Narrator
 GM, 7674 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 19:47
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 750):

"Why do you wake me?"
Gareth
 player, 601 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 22:13
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 751):

"We wish to know about the designs you were carrying. Please tell us all you know about them."
Narrator
 GM, 7690 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 17:58
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 752):

"I helped design an armor golem, some defenses for the tower."
Gareth
 player, 602 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 20:17
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 753):

"Were you then killed as payment for your work?"
Narrator
 GM, 7704 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 26 Apr 2020
at 17:02
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 754):

"I left, and could not find my way out. Hunger took me."
Gareth
 player, 603 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 08:04
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 755):

"I see. Tell me about the person who hired you?"
Narrator
 GM, 7711 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 23:38
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 756):

"The master of the tower? He collects...many things."
Gareth
 player, 604 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 06:35
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 757):

"To what end? Is he evil, or a simple researcher?"
Narrator
 GM, 7717 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 17:43
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 758):

"I would not know. He was strange, but not rude, and stood by his word, paying me well in alkahest and with a lever I might use to move the earth. "
Gareth
 player, 605 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 22:34
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 759):

"And yet he put spells on the area to stop you from leaving, so you would die here. Very cold tell me about the lever please?"
Narrator
 GM, 7721 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 2 May 2020
at 17:21
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 760):

"It was among my things, a crow made of unbreakable metal, that might pry anything I set myself to.  I think he forgot I was here, and used spells to seal the tower."

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 19:30, Sun 03 May.

Gareth
 player, 606 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 2 May 2020
at 23:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 761):

"Oh, I doubt he forgot. I bet you have a lot of secrets he wanted to keep. Like the location of that lever, or weaknesses of your inventions...what are they, by the way?"
Narrator
 GM, 7728 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 3 May 2020
at 20:10
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 762):

**he just described the orichalcum crowbar that was looted from the body.***


my inventions have no weaknesses!
Gareth
 player, 607 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sun 3 May 2020
at 20:27
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 763):

"Cool. How do they work?"
Narrator
 GM, 7731 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 4 May 2020
at 18:53
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 764):

"When a sufficiency of weight impinges on the pressure plates, the repeating crossbow is activated. After ten bolts are spent, a small automaton  will reload a cartridge from the storeroom.

A system of weights and counterweights control a sluice gate to flood a room, which drains back from the secondary reservoir and resets by activation of a treadmill operated water screw. At the same time the room floods, mechanical fish with a buoyancy system are released, the gas is released when they latch, causing the target to sink as the water rises.
Failsafe release is arunic dial."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:55, Mon 04 May.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 376 posts
Mon 4 May 2020
at 19:09
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron Quietly observes what is going on.  He does not understand any of it, but the decision was worth it.  Quietly he whispers to the Adept "I do not like this any more than you, but it could save our lives".
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 205 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Mon 4 May 2020
at 20:41
Re: Near Al Menir
He Nods  Ssssstrange!
Gareth
 player, 608 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 5 May 2020
at 01:55
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 767):

Gareth is actually fascinated by the complexity of the system.

"So how are the Automations controlled?"
Narrator
 GM, 7735 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 6 May 2020
at 17:17
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 768):

"Pendulum driven clockwork that is reset on activation of the trap. The fish are reset by a small golem equipped with a bellows, and provided by the master. The crossbow automatons are set in motion by the discharge of the bolt cartridge, and then the bows are restet when the clockeeorks dock the counterweight.

Is there more? I should like to rest."

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:18, Wed 06 May.

Berry
 player, 177 posts
 Mage
Tue 12 May 2020
at 04:09
Re: Near Al Menir
Ask if the master of the tower performs cruel experiments on animals. Or harms cats.
Narrator
 GM, 7754 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 12 May 2020
at 16:47
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 770):

"some of the golems are made of clay, some from living or even dead flesh. There were some. Cats made him sneeze, h e's would teleport them smewhere far away. He did keep bugs and worms though. I tire. Take me from this place."
Gareth
 player, 609 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 13 May 2020
at 00:23
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 771):

"Thank you. One last question...how would you like us to dispose of your body?"
Narrator
 GM, 7762 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 14 May 2020
at 17:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 772):

"Bury me outside of this accursed circle that I may go on, and say a word to Hephaestus on my behalf."
Gareth
 player, 611 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 14 May 2020
at 21:08
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 773):

"Happy to. What word would you like me to say to Hephaestus? Or if you were meaning for us to kill him, how is that 'word' best said?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 379 posts
Thu 14 May 2020
at 21:32
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron steps foward just a bit, and gently says "Gareth, I think we should defer to the Adept on what that might mean.  It may not be his area of expertise, but he will know more than we do."
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 206 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 15 May 2020
at 03:23
Re: Near Al Menir
I could do thissss, although it isssss a trek to leave and return.

Narrator
 GM, 7776 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 16 May 2020
at 14:47
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Adept Yisslitheniss (msg # 776):

Hephaestus is the god of Crafters and Smiths.
Gareth
 player, 612 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 16 May 2020
at 21:25
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 777):

"Oh, OK. I thought that might have been the owner who let you die..."
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 76 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 20 May 2020
at 16:48
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 778):

"I think we should do as he says and move him to a safer burial spot."
Gareth
 player, 613 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 20 May 2020
at 21:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 779):

"Yes, I agree. I just wanted to be sure he was finished first. Lets do as asked..."
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 381 posts
Wed 20 May 2020
at 22:06
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron takes a thoughtful approach.  Then, after a moment of consideration, suggests "Once his spirit is resting again, I think we should do that work after we ourselves leave the circle.  Who knows how long he has been here.  Another few hours or another day should mean nothing to him.  Only that we complete the work.

Adept, I know this isn't in your usual area, but can you take charge of this piece?  I am not versed in the spiritual, and would trust your judgement more than I would mine on the subject.

If we are all in agreement, I say we leave in the morning?  I expect it will take some effort if he was unable to escape.  We should be well rested, and fresh, and ready for the challenge.  We already know this grove has been enchanted, and I do not expect we will be bothered during the night."


After everything has concluded, Haveron will touch Gareth on the shoulder in what is meant as a friendly gesture, and murmur "Thank you" in a quiet way.


OOC As long as we are about done here, ready to fast forward to the morning.  Same watch schedule as the previous day.  We have enough rations, and I'm sure Gareth has plenty he would like to research.  The Adept probably has some work to do as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:07, Wed 20 May.

Gareth
 player, 614 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 20 May 2020
at 22:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 781):

Gareth is a little surprised, after all the talk about respecting the dead.

"How far do we have to take him? Surely not that far. I gave him my word...last thing I need is a grumpy ghost because we had to leave by another direction. The dead are people too, and and I do actually respect their wishes, if they are not assholes. We can do it now, so lets get it done!"

[OOC: Narrator, how far do we need to move him to get him out of the circle?]
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 382 posts
Wed 20 May 2020
at 23:15
Re: Near Al Menir
That was not the response that Haveron was looking for.  He purses his lips ever so slightly, but patiently responds to the mage, in a firmer tone.  "I would agree with you, if it were that easy.  Unfortunately, it is not.  You saw how difficult it was for some of us to even enter the circle.  We had people wandering off because of the magic here.  He died because he could not leave, and he seemed like quite a capable engineer from your brief conversation.  I don't think it prudent to have people try to leave and then try to return again.  He asked for burial outside the circle, and we will do so.  However, it will be when we leave, so we don't have to attempt 3 more trips past whatever magical barrier is in place."
Berry
 player, 178 posts
 Mage
Sat 23 May 2020
at 18:58
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron has the right idea. No unneeded trips.