Near Al Menir.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Gareth
 player, 535 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 07:04
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 534):

Gareth replies matter ofvfactly.

My people, if there is such, are dead because they did not. To a bloody necromancer who abused his power for his own selfish greed. I had to learn necromancy to get my folk back from him, but being raised by dead parents was just not the same. They talk to me still, but now even their bodies are gone.

I know, mum, he does seem like a nice lad, but I am pretty sure he does not want to be warmed up like the kitty cat.

'He is just learning right from wrong', they used to say about the mongrel. Then they beat his little crowd once, but they did not kill him. He came back with a bigger crowd. It is not necromancy that make people evil, necromancy is a tool evil people use because it is powerful. But power can, and should, be used for good too.

See, that is the thing about unnatural shit. If it was not natural, something created it, and in situations like this, ask yourself why. That there was no lap kitty, so until I can talk to its creator, yes I do assume it is planning to jump down, or sneak up and eat me.
"
Ryojin
 player, 36 posts
 Martial artist
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 12:51
Re: Near Al Menir
"Eat us." Ryojin interjects while listening to everyone.

Though the tiger with three heads was intriguing, there was no doubt in his mind that it would have come down and attack them. After all, any wild animal would have attempted to do so, trying it's hand at taking the weakest of the pack, and with three heads it must have thought it could do so. If it was created, then it would have either come at them with killing intent or watched from a distance, the prior would be more plausible.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 326 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 16:39
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron rolls his eyes.  Again with the discussion.  This guy was proving difficult to manage.  It was like he had a small child along, who didn't understand the bigger world.  Havereon found it frustrating to deal with such basic questions.  But that, was his job, as the person in charge.  The responsibility fell to him.  And it was in these moments that he proved his worth as a leader.

Quietly Haveron takes a deep breath, and measures his words.  Then he turns to face Gareth again, so he can talk to the man respectfully.

"We all agree that power should be used for good, and not for evil.  And we all recognize that having the undead doing your bidding enhances your power considerably.  It might make us safer in our journey.  But it's not a simple black or white question.

I still question whether we can trust you with that kind of power.  You are very capable with your magic, but I find that you lack a good understanding of people.  For example, if you walk into town with an undead triger, people will most likely attack you on sight.  Necromancers have a bad reputation, because the good ones are few and far between, while the bad ones are a dime a dozen.  People won't understand you or your intentions, and will assume the worst.  Especially in a place like Al Menir.  And I don't know if you would understand that behavior.

Therein lies the problem.  You often react before you think, which leads to mistakes or errors that other people take note of.  And you frequently don't understand how these things come off to others.  For the people who know you better, there is reason behind your actions.  But to the average person, they won't understand any of that.  And they won't care to know, because they'll have already made the decision.

I don't think you're a bad person Gareth.  But I worry that your approach to situations like this will rub people the wrong way, or even insult them.  Most of us are uncomfortable with raising the dead on some level.  Some would tolerate it, others would be outright offended.  And you suggest it like having an undead triger is like having a shovel.  Do you recognize half of us might leave if you were to do that?  You might help in the short term, but ruin our chances in the long term.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're also ignoring the opinions of the rest of the group.  It's a perfect example of my concern.  So no, please do not attempt to raise the triger if it is dead.  And please keep that magic to yourself unless we find ourselves in a situation so desperate that we need it."


With that, Haveron throws up his hands in a gesture of frustration, nods at the Adept in particular, and then starts up the path.  He finds he is a bit exasperated at the mage, and doesn't really want to talk after the scolding.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 55 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 19:24
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke surveys the fire man and listens to his words finally getting the answer he suspected all along.  The man assumed an attack was imminent, so he fired first.

Bechazruhk inhales making a long, pronounced sniffing sound.  ”That's wha'd'I thought.  I got two problems with your hurry up ideas.”  Burke holds up a pair of fingers in a 'V' shape.  ”We don't really know.  Yer prolly right.  Wizard tower is just a hike that way.”  Burke thumbs in the direct of the recluse mage.  ”Three headed tigers aint too common so its prolly some weird experiment, or worse.  BUT...I done a little vet work in my time an' I seen some stuff.  I seen pups born with two legs an' a calf born with two heads.  I woul'n't kill one 'a natures creatures without cause even on a bad day an' I'd appreciate if you do the same.  An' two...”, again Burke holds up two fingers showing his second point, ”...if that was the wizards scout now we got a heap 'a trouble.  If I was a wizard with a three headed tiger roamin' my land I'd keep a close eye on it.  'Cause its my eyes an' ears out 'a my tower.  An' if I saw a well armed group 'a strangers come onto my land I'd be wonderin' if they came to hurt me.  An' after they kilt my triger without it even attackin' 'em, now I'd know they came to kill me.  Worst case the wizard is gonna be like a mama bear protecting her cubs.  Mad with anger.”


OOC:
Whats our mission here, to kill the wizard or just snoop things out?
 

Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 188 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 20:23
Re: Near Al Menir
He holds up his right front claw, open wide to show it is empty  (like a human would hold up his open hand in greeting)
PEASSSE Among Ussss , we must work together and trussst each other to do what issss bessst for alll of ussss.
Gareth
 player, 536 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 00:55
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 538):

Gareth signed.

"I am sorry, I thought it was just friendly or natural things you objected hto becoming zombies. It is so hard to understand your logic.

But if we are expecting trouble, that thing would only have added to it. If the wizard used him as a scout, then he already knows we are here, but he does not know what we do next. If that thing did not attack us then it would be spying for a hostile wizard. If he was not hostile why all the effort to hide? They surely would not let us leave quietly now we are here, few others got away.
"

He continued up to check that the creature was dead.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 66 posts
 Agent about town
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 04:26
Re: Near Al Menir
"Somethat strange suggests we are nearing what is either a demon proson, or a wizard's tower. I don't  know which it is, but it might be waiting and aware."
Berry
 player, 161 posts
 Mage
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 05:14
Re: Near Al Menir
"I object to kitties being raised as zombies. And subjected to horrible experiments. I vote we kill the wizard and steal his stuff. Or at least give him a solid talking too about kitty cruelty. "

This message was last edited by the player at 05:14, Sat 18 Jan.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 56 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 16:37
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke listens to the fire man speak and does not respond initially as he soaks in the words. Then he shrugs.  ”You might be right.  Yer prolly right.  But the problem I got is what if yer wrong.  You go killin' everythin' in sight an' sooner 'er later yer gonna piss off innocent people who would'a left you 'lone otherwise.”

Now the dirty hippy turns to address the Adept.  His face is framed with respect.  ”I aint fightin'.  I'm the new guy.  I gotta know what kind 'a people I'm runnin' with.”


OOC:
Amelia Montaigne:
"Somethat strange suggests we are nearing what is either a demon proson, or a wizard's tower. I don't  know which it is, but it might be waiting and aware."

I know Haveron already told me what he knows and that the background predates the players involvement.

Does anyone know why we're here?  Were we hired?  Or did we just stumble upon someone hiding and presumably its a daemon prison or a reclusive wizard?  Why we're here will help Burke decide a good course.

Burke's conscience is just role play.  It has nothing to do with the players politics.

 

Gareth
 player, 537 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 00:09
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 543):

Gareth considers the statement.

"Possibly true, but most of the time the preemptive strike save my friends lives. A few mistakes is unavoidable, as the altercation back at town, in which I played no part, demonstrated"
Narrator
 GM, 7290 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 22:15
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 544):

So that everyone can catch up

The road to Al Menir, where splitting the group made three players quit:

link to a message in this game

Also at the Dismal Tower, where sages were consulted

link to a message in this game

Over in the Wastrel's Hope-where rumors and introductions started

link to a message in this game
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 327 posts
Tue 21 Jan 2020
at 22:04
Re: Near Al Menir
"Gareth, they are right.  This isn't the first time you have thrown a fireball without really looking to see what was going on.  I recommend a bit more discretion in these matters.  Fire should be treated with respect.  The last thing we need is to find ourselves in the middle of a raging fire.  You might survive, but the rest of us might not.

If we are done with our discussion, can we proceed?  We are looking for a tree struck by lightning.  Possibly a dead man with old tools or implements.  But the triger does tell us we are most likely in the correct area."

Gareth
 player, 538 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 03:54
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 546):

Gareth just rolls his eyes.

"Fine, next time I will wait until it is close enough to bite you, so you know it is hostile. Of course you know that means you will probably feel the heat then..."

He gets ready to move on.
Berry
 player, 162 posts
 Mage
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 05:16
Re: Near Al Menir
"Good!" Berry says, with more than a hint of annoyance. "Still, the cat probably survived and you've learned from it, so this is a net win."
Narrator
 GM, 7300 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 20:23
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 548):

You head further along, although the path is less distinct.

Will rolls all.
Ryojin
 player, 37 posts
 Martial artist
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 20:58
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC: PM Roll.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:58, Wed 22 Jan.

Berry
 player, 164 posts
 Mage
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:00
Re: Near Al Menir
16:59, Today: Berry rolled 9 using 3d6.  Will-14.
Adept Yisslitheniss
 player, 189 posts
 Reptileman cleric
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:29
Re: Near Al Menir
He makes it


14:29, Today: Adept Yisslitheniss rolled 9 using 3d6.  will.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 330 posts
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 23:52
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron feels uncomfortable for a moment, but having felt this before he is able to shrug it off.
Gareth
 player, 541 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 04:52
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 553):

Gareth senses something too...
Shroud
 player, 59 posts
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 07:08
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 57 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 07:09
Re: Near Al Menir
OOC:
Dice rolls in PM.

Narrator
 GM, 7307 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 19:20
Re: Near Al Menir
You are all able to percieve the path, although you notice Omar starting to veer toward the right anf back toward the road.
Amelia Montaigne
 player, 67 posts
 Agent about town
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 20:07
Re: Near Al Menir
Amelia glides up next to Omar, and takes him under the elbow, guiding him up the path.  She may not understand what was going on, exactly, but she could feel the aversion herself.  Haveron had mentioned the same feeling when they were last here, so she could identify it.
Gareth
 player, 542 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 21:26
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Amelia Montaigne (msg # 558):

Gareth, oblivious to Omar, is more alert and approaches the road carefully. He is about to cast something, but then refrains, staying alert.