Near Al Menir.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 7311 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 00:20
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Gareth (msg # 559):

What there is of a path rises into a hillier region, still with a low cliff rising to the left, and the hills dropping off to the right over the road to Aral.
Gareth
 player, 543 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 00:42
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 560):

Gareth will follow the others, making sure they stick to the path less travelled...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 332 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:03
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron motions for Burke to take the lead on finding what path their was.  It made sense that not many came this way, with the mental barrier they had experienced.  Thus, the path would be sparse.  It made sense for them to follow the lead of their most experienced woodsman.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 58 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:22
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke moves to come along side Haveron.  As the two walk Burke explains the different sounds small mammals make and why.  Its quite interesting.  Some noises might sound like the animal is angry but its not so.  Its actually a mating call or an invite to be social.  Burke delights in having a captive audience while he imitates the sounds squirrels, chipmunks and other small forest creatures make.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 333 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 18:34
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron smirks at the zeal the woodsman shows for the little things in nature.  It's interesting, and passes the time while they travel, so it's a welcome diversion.  Haveron still takes care to pay attention to his surroundings.  The last thing they needed was to be attacked by the triger, or worse.  Still, it was better than talking Gareth out of chucking fireballs...  Haveron has to smirk wryly to himself at the thought.
Narrator
 GM, 7331 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 19:19
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 563):

While mst of you have no issue weeding your way through the shrubbery along the faint path, feylan, hackles raised, keeps veering away,ad seems forlorn when redirected. Omar seems to absently drift toward the right, but sheepishly returns when Haveron notices him veering off.
Gareth
 player, 544 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 19:36
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 565):

Gareth walked along, wondering why folk and animals wanted to keep going to the right. It was not right...he keeps checking both sides for an answer...
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 334 posts
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 19:44
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron stops for a moment, and thoughtfully waits for Omar to approach.  His face creases into a smile, and softens with empathy.  Haveron As the wrinkles on his face become more pronounced, he speaks softly to the man, in a gentle tone.

"There is a spell here, Omar, and it seems to have affected you.  There is no judgement in me saying that.  The owner of these lands does not seem to want visitors, and so the spell is doing what it is supposed to.  Watching you from the outside, I see you turning off the path over and over, almost like your mind does not want to see it. "

He then gestures for Amelia to come over.

"Amelia will guide you through it.  She has experienced it before, and I also prepared her for it when we were last here.  She seems to have resisted it's effects.  As you protect her in battle, let her guide you here.  We must work together to be successful."

With a nod, Haveron then returns to the front of the group, so he can continue the trek up the path.
Omar El Nasib
 player, 18 posts
 Former Caravan guard
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 20:13
Re: Near Al Menir
Omar walks up to his employer, although even that much seems like an effort.  The whole situation seemed confusing.  From what Omar could tell, the path veered off a few steps before he reached Haveron.  He could not understand why Haveron was standing in the broken grass, on what looked like a harder path.  Still, he pauses to hear what his boss has to say.

After Haveron finishes talking, Omar starts to respond before stopping himself.
"This has nothing to do with magic.  The path veers off right there..."

However, upon looking at it again, Haveron is now standing on the path, and the place where Omar was pointing to was broken grass.
"...But...  And Amelia...?

Omar then turns to look at Amelia, who is now standing next to him.  She smiles softly, and nods subtly.  For a moment Omar frowns, and looks at Haveron's back as he walks to the front of the line again.  He shakes his head, and looks at her.
"He wants me to follow you.  A woman...?"

Amelia sighs, and nods patiently.

Omar throws up his hands in a bit of exasperation.
"This is not how my culture works.  Following a woman is like shaking left-handed.  It does not seem right."

After a moment of thought, Omar trots up towards the front, saying over his shoulder "I will follow behind Haveron."

Amelia purses her lips tightly, and frowns.  But she nods, and lets him go.

OOC Amelia will keep track of Omar and keep him on the right path when he wanders off.  He might not accept that guidance, but it's her job.
Narrator
 GM, 7338 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 20:16
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Omar El Nasib (msg # 568):

This handling is good.
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 59 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 06:52
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke travels along with the others and finds himself surprised more than once at Feylans odd behavior.  The wolf is head strong but his continued insistence to wander away isn't like him at all.  But it isn't until Haveron has a talk with Omar that Burke connects the dots.

So the dirty hippy stops for a moment and squats so that he comes face to face with the big wolf.  ”Eh Feylan. The path...”, he points to the ground where the grass is matted down.  ”There is some magic here.  Its foolin' you so that you don't see the path.  But you think you do.  Don't worry though, I see it.  Just follow me.”
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 335 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 16:26
Re: Near Al Menir
When he sees Burke talking to Feylan, Haveron nods silently in their direction.  He'll approach to a safe distance, maybe 5 yards, and kneel down on one knee.  Then, he'll offer Feylan a piece of jerky from his provisions.

Whether the animal takes the dried meat or not, Haveron will stand and continue leading the group, once Burke is ready to go.
Feylan
 player, 5 posts
 Timber Wolf
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 19:18
Re: Near Al Menir
Feylan eyes the piece of jerky hungrily.  Thanks to his keen sense of smell he knows what it is long before Haveron gets in position to offer it.  The wolf moves cautiously, mostly trying not to take off a finger or two.  But wolves have too much animal in them and Feylan nips the tips of Haverons fingers by accident.


OOC:
No real damage, just a greedy wolf.

Ready to move on.

Haveron Stormwal
 player, 336 posts
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 19:29
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron pulls his fingers back at the tip nip, but thankfully his gauntlets took the brunt of it.  He does take a brief second to make sure he has all of his fingers.  Then Haveron smiles, and stands, gesturing for Burke to lead them forward.

OOC Moving right along...
Berry
 player, 165 posts
 Mage
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 03:10
Re: Near Al Menir
Berry mumbles something about sexism and mana making men and women equal.
Gareth
 player, 545 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 06:10
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 574):

Gareth notices how Berry was spurned, and goes to comfort her in low tones.

"Social customs are stupid. You either have power, or you don't. You either abuse it, or you don't. I don't get all this 'do this, don't do that, oh now you can do it.' Haderaum can make undead to clean sewers, but if I do to help us defend ourselves, we all get offended...a woman can fight beside me, but she can't act as a guide even if the guy keeps getting lost.

I guess what I am trying to say is I know how you feel.
"
Var
 NPC, 32 posts
 Goblin servant
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 01:38
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Berry (msg # 574):

"Your will defines your value, not somebody else's physicality or restrictive \ancestral code. Dose people, dey don't drink but they sure are fast ta tell you why what
you are doing is wrong because dey don't do it. a lot like them triunists. bah!"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:39, Fri 31 Jan.

Narrator
 GM, 7356 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 20:42
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Var (msg # 576):

the path continues to climb until it reaches a wooded plateau at a higher altitude than the level of the former bandit camp. It is surprisingly easier to look down at those burnt out ruins, and into the northern valley where the mountain folk dwelt, than to gaze directly at the woods ahead.  To the west, the mountain rises higher.
Gareth
 player, 546 posts
 Odd Character
 Smokin' Human
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 21:17
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Narrator (msg # 577):

"The woods, for my money..." says Gareth determinedly.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 337 posts
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 22:48
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron nods in assent. "I agree.  It seems like the most difficult path has consistently been the way here.  Burke, what do you think?  I trust your judgement on these things as you are the most experienced here.  Any concerns or thoughts before we proceed?"
Bechazruhk Burke
 player, 60 posts
 Dirty Hippy
 "Name's Burke"
Sat 1 Feb 2020
at 19:38
Re: Near Al Menir
Burke laughs out loud.  ”Concerns Cap'n?”  The outdoorsman takes a minute to gather the phlegm and mucus from his mouth and nose then spits it out onto the ground.  ”Ya...off the top 'a my head, I'd say...a three headed TIGER.  But, like he said an' you said...”, Burke takes a moment to point at Gareth, ”...the way that don't want us seems ta be the way ta go.”

This message was last edited by the player at 19:25, Mon 03 Feb.

Amelia Montaigne
 player, 68 posts
 Agent about town
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:01
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Bechazruhk Burke (msg # 580):

Haveron's senschal  looks toward the woods.

"Is it me, or is there no birdsong?"
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 338 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:22
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron purses his lips, listening for a moment.  "That also would be un-natural.  It would seem that we are in lands that are under the influence of magic.  Perhaps the same effect that has confused our canine friend has also influenced the birds.  We can probably assume we will not see the normal forest creatures.  But what we do see...  We should beware.

Unless anyone else has noticed something of note, I say we proceed, but with caution."


OOC Haveron thinks he understands what is going on.  He may or may not.  After pausing a moment for any comments, he will gesture for Burke to lead them forward.
Narrator
 GM, 7378 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:36
Re: Near Al Menir
In reply to Haveron Stormwal (msg # 582):

another round of will rolls to press on.
Haveron Stormwal
 player, 339 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:40
Re: Near Al Menir
Haveron starts forward towards the woods.