Living near the street collapse.   Posted by 'Elga the henormous.Group: 0
Mario Crowfoot
 player, 905 posts
 An orphan who grew up
 with bow in hand
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 22:29
Living near the street collapse
"Maybe shouldn't go alone, Benito.  The basement connects into the undercity, and there's some dangerous stuff down there.  You've met Clarence's spider friend, the one the size of a big dog?  We met one easily ten times that weight down there, not to mention some other unpleasantness.  I'd suggest waiting until at least two or three of us can go with you."
Clarence Montague
 player, 242 posts
 Torchbearer
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 23:10
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Mario Crowfoot (msg # 13):

"How about I go with him? I can provide light at the same time."
Leroy du Lac
 player, 24 posts
 Mercenary Man-At-Arms
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 23:28
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Mario Crowfoot (msg # 13):
"Wow... You guys have your own private entrance to the undercity?! I wouldn't talk loosely about that, if'n I were you, Mario. But, your secret is safe with me. I give you my true word of honor."


This message was last edited by the player at 01:12, Sun 30 June.

Clarence Montague
 player, 243 posts
 Torchbearer
Sat 29 Jun 2019
at 23:46
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Leroy du Lac (msg # 15):

"Good. There are worse things than eyeball theives that can visit you at night if you start telling secrets...nothing like waking up all wrapped up in silk, right spidey?"
Leroy du Lac
 player, 25 posts
 Mercenary Man-At-Arms
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 00:19
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Clarence Montague (msg # 16):
"Ho! Is that a threat?? Because, I'm not menaced in the least... Hey Mario, I don't like this guy."
>
The warrior takes a step towards Clarence, and looks him dead in the eye.*quirks: proud, always up for a fight, and overconfident -5,*

This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Sun 30 June.

Clarence Montague
 player, 244 posts
 Torchbearer
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 00:32
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Leroy du Lac (msg # 17):

Clarence chuckles.

"If you are thinking of being untrustworthy, then yes, it is a threat. If you are planning, as you say, to work with us, then you should be glad there are others watching your back. So tell me, is it a threat?"
Leroy du Lac
 player, 26 posts
 Mercenary Man-At-Arms
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 00:45
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Clarence Montague (msg # 18):
You tell me. What's this talk about eyeball thieves, and spiders??
I've given my word of honor, and I mean what I say, and say I mean. You'll see."
Leroy frowned.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:46, Sun 30 June.

Clarence Montague
 player, 245 posts
 Torchbearer
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 00:50
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Leroy du Lac (msg # 19):

"Then all we need to know is that you keep your word. The talk about spiders..."

he pats his 8-legged friend.

"...I thought that was obvious. Better than a guard dog."

[OOC: Clarence has a pet spider as big as a dog...]
Leroy du Lac
 player, 27 posts
 Mercenary Man-At-Arms
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 01:02
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Clarence Montague (msg # 20):
"Your secrets are safe with me, but then I'm not the one telling strangers about it either. Heh Heh Heh... Don't worry Mario, I'll just take it as a gesture of trust."
The young man smiled once again.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 01:03, Sun 30 June.

Mario Crowfoot
 player, 906 posts
 An orphan who grew up
 with bow in hand
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 20:27
Living near the street collapse
"So, how do you feel about a worm big enough to fill a sewer tunnel and three or four blocks long?  I've seen part of one slithering past a gate.  I'm very serious, you might survive a slorn or a couple maned rats, but there's stuff down there that makes them look like freshly born kittens.

"Having a way in isn't the same as having a way to stay alive down there."

Leroy du Lac
 player, 38 posts
 Mercenary Man-At-Arms
Sun 30 Jun 2019
at 22:44
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Mario Crowfoot (msg # 22):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDD4LYqYdnU
"Sonne comme une grande aventure!"
"The spoils of monsters, and miscreants await!"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:17, Mon 01 July.

Narrator
 GM, 6541 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:01
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Benito Drake (msg # 12):

As Benito has yet to enter any space beyond the basement of a row house, and observe the partial street collapse from above, he is quite uncertain about what needs doing below ground, although buttressing whatever is on the other side of the pit being filled with rubble and gravel right now would be a good idea.


The group is a bit large, and might benefit by a breakdown into smaller sets; the team currently working on the er shopping expedition, and the newjacks soon arriving, who may well become your new neighbors.
Nodwin Zideqick
 player, 442 posts
 Initiate of Vejovis
 FP:7/13 HP:10/10
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:44
Living near the street collapse
OOC Whenever you get time, we can sort out the living arrangements via the Nodwin line.  Nothing critical or even pressing.  Just suggesting that we can more easily divide things if the living arrangements are decided.  Doesn't even need to be done on screen, I'm happy to make rolls and handle it in the background if that's easier/more expedient for you.  It seems to be the next logical progression is all.

Oh, and...  I thought we weren't telling the newb's about the underground access?  Maybe a character quirk or disadvantage in play perhaps...?

Narrator
 GM, 6542 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 19:54
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Nodwin Zideqick (msg # 25):

Construction can be handled in the accounting thread.  Leroy can drift over to New in Town.
Mario Crowfoot
 player, 909 posts
 An orphan who grew up
 with bow in hand
Tue 2 Jul 2019
at 23:18
Living near the street collapse
"Nodwin, maybe you and Clarence and I could show Benito where the basement meets up with the collapse.  We need to get that shored up before the fill winds up bringing down the rest of our block -- in fact, it probably can't wait for Benito's work to get the first hack at it.  I thought I heard you have some earth magic?"

OOC:Nodwin, we were, but I needed a reason for Benito not to go in the basement unescorted -- which I understood to be of higher priority than keeping secret the mere fact of an opening nearly any basement could have, or gain with little warning.
Jareth Mooncalled
 player, 1714 posts
 Dirty High Elf Sage
 HP: 9/9 FP: 10/10
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 01:02
Re: Living near the street collapse
Mario Crowfoot:
OOC:Nodwin, we were, but I needed a reason for Benito not to go in the basement unescorted -- which I understood to be of higher priority than keeping secret the mere fact of an opening nearly any basement could have, or gain with little warning.

The problem Mario, is that the collapse is literally one room over from the Bone Gate.

Leroy du Lac
 player, 40 posts
 Mercenary Man-At-Arms
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 03:17
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Nodwin Zideqick (msg # 25):
OOC besides i'm not a newb, i've been with the core group, 4 yrs now. Leroy was invited to supper with the senior group, so he'll go eat what would've been his dinner, for lunch. gluttony gives him a reason to head back to the new thread, too
"Well, since you've invited me to supper, I think, I'll head back to the guild, and take my bowl of hot brown, early! It's much better then, anyways...Au Revoir!"

This message was last edited by the player at 03:52, Thu 04 July.

Nodwin Zideqick
 player, 443 posts
 Initiate of Vejovis
 FP:7/13 HP:10/10
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 15:44
Living near the street collapse
Nodwin looks at Mario a bit quizzically.  The momentary confusion leaves his face as soon as it came, however, as he adopts a thoughtful visage.  Then, choosing his words carefully, he responds.

"Benito, we have a standing agreement to not discuss the entrance to the sewers with outside people.  The entrance would be considered an asset by many, but also a liability because it allows access to the city by many unpleasant things.  We have taken on a fairly large responsibility by taking over the city block, and the Hadereum have entrusted us with that.  They do not know about the entrance, but we have judged that information would complicate things beyond what is reasonable.

For the moment, we have taken steps to try and keep the city safe, while still making some margin of profit from this.  It's our current livelihood.  Mario has decided to share some very important information.  I understand his reasons for doing so, as you need to make sure the buildings are structurally sound.  I also expect you'll be discrete with the information.

As for the actual work itself, we are looking for only one entrance in or out of the sewers, and we mean for it to be secure.  The rest of the entrances should be bricked over, so we have a barrier in place against whatever unpleasantness exists down there.  So far the list includes zombies, cultists, and a variety of other dangerous creatures.

Beyond that, I have a list of items that concern me.  I have some earth magic we can use for shoring things up, but I'll need your help in knowing how best to apply that.  I have no prior knowledge of architecture or engineering, so your expertise will be welcome.  Let's go look at all of the trouble areas, and you can tell us what you think is needed..."


OOC Nodwin has Truthful and Selfless, plus a few other related items.  I judged he would handle the discussion this way, even if it ends up going badly.  He's not really happy Mario decided to do this without consulting the rest of the group, but he'll roll with it because of his sense of duty.

Also, at last check Nodwin should be talking to the Hadereum right now, so I don't know when it time this would actually take place.  Probably before everyone lef on errands, or after.  I'll let the GM figure out that detail, it's above my pay grade...

Benito Drake
 player, 26 posts
 Respectable shopkeeper
Wed 3 Jul 2019
at 21:14
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Nodwin Zideqick (msg # 30):

"I understand. I can keep it secret as long as I am not called upon to be dishonest. I would be glad to share our expertise to shore things up to keep the city safe. If there are dangers down there, I will grab my weapons and armour, just to be sure."

[OOC: Also not sure when this discussion would tke place, but that is how Benito would handle it.]
Acolyte Flavius
 NPC, 39 posts
 junior plutocracy
 member
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 16:00
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Nodwin Zideqick (msg # 30):

As a prior action, not in sequence

"That entire area will fall into disrepar and encourage the spread of criminal activity and create a loss of tax revenue for the city. Your group is part of an incentive program to repopulate the area and combat urban blight. We are footing the bill for the street repair, as it is a matter of public safety, but the buildings and lots are the responsibilities of the owners, and at the moment that area has no inhabitants save yourselves. We are in negotiations with the Brewers and Inkeepers  guild to reopen some of the establishments there in order to build the community. There have been vacancies all over ever since the plague, butnot in a large area like this."
Nodwin Zideqick
 player, 445 posts
 Initiate of Vejovis
 FP:7/13 HP:10/10
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 15:25
Living near the street collapse
"Thank you" replies Nodwin.  "We would be happy to take ownership of the following buildings, with the group that you previously have worked with, including myself.  We have already retained an engineer with the required skills so we can shore up any structural integrity issues, and improve the decor of the buildings.  He is gathering the required materials as we speak, so we can begin repairs immediately.

As a side note, several refugees associated with Vejovis have sought me out, due to my reputation within the order.  We plan to use one building as a healing center, as long as you have no objections to that use.  I do not know if there are any restrictions on how we manage these new responsibilities.

In addition, the following buildings are located in the same area.  We have several associates who I can vouch for interested in taking ownership of these buildings.  One of them plans to open a small shop, and a number of others are in good status with the guilds in town.  I believe this would benefit both of us, as you would have fewer buildings in disrepair, and we would be able to get them repaired while the existing project is already in motion.

If you are willing to grant us these additional buildings, then I will stake my reputation on their responsible use, until such time as the inhabitants can generate their own reputation with the Hadereum.

What say you, Acolyte Flavius?  Will you trust me with this charge?"


OOC In response to your 'out of sequence' statement below.  Nodwin has a good dose of the Selfless, so he's sticking his neck out for the larger group, as he feels it would be in everyone's best interest.
Narrator
 GM, 6549 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 20:26
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Nodwin Zideqick (msg # 33):

Ooc it would just be the spending of points, one per dwelling. He will hold it in your name until you can get formal with the "paperwork"
Acolyte Flavius
 NPC, 40 posts
 junior plutocracy
 member
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 21:51
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Narrator (msg # 34):

"While applying for the appropriate permiture is preferred, any actions taken to resucitate this area ravaged by the awful Saturnines, can be forgiven and deadlines for retroactive paperwork extended. We do not intend to have anyone evicted, so long as they become part of the proper revenue stream."
Nodwin Zideqick
 player, 446 posts
 Initiate of Vejovis
 FP:7/13 HP:10/10
Mon 15 Jul 2019
at 23:47
Living near the street collapse
Nodwin will respond after listening to the acolyte.

"We will reinvent the area, Acolyte, so the people of the city no longer remember it as a place of corruption and murder.  On top of that, I will personally take responsibility for the improvement of the neighborhood as much as we can.  I have already lined up suitable denizens for many of the abandoned homes.  The refugees of Vejovis will want their own places to live if we have room.  It will no doubt take us time to get established there, but we have only taken on this responsibility but a couple days.  You will see suitable income flowing from the neighborhood soon enough.

Thank you for this boon, and I am happy we can work together to make the city a better place for all.  I believe everyone can benefit from this arrangement.  Now, with your permission, I will return to my fellow citizens, and continue our work."


OOC  Unless there is anything else, Nodwin will return to the Junior House.  Thanks for the prompt, I have been swamped the past few days and missed moving things forward.
Narrator
 GM, 6600 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 26 Jul 2019
at 17:11
Living near the street collapse
In reply to Nodwin Zideqick (msg # 36):

It is a bit noisy as more work is done behind the row of houses you occupy; the ogress is now using an oversize shovel to empty soil "enriched" with manure from a wagon.  Another wagon appears to have two entire trees laying in it.

Another wagon is heading up the street, with a number of Shevnians and several barrels on board. They are looking for something...