The Mug and Cauldron.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Hetilda Yurick
 player, 11 posts
 "Hetty" Witch & Alewife
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 05:50
The Mug and Cauldron
The older woman, drops the reins, and steps down from the wagon, and begins unhitching the ox, while the husband, opens the stable doors. Turning, she looks back at the commotion and scolds in Shevnian:"Прекрати эту ерунду! Теперь нам нужны эти яблоки, так что прекратите бросать их, и начать загрузку их внутрь!"
Nana Yurick
 player, 3 posts
 Shevnian Adventuress &
 Innkeeper's Daughter
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 05:56
The Mug and Cauldron
The girl sighs in an exaggerated manner, and tosses the would-be missle, back into the bushel basket. She replies in accented Aralaise: "You're such a slave-driver, mother! Sometimes I feel like we're indentured!"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:26, Thu 10 Oct 2019.

Kazimir Yurick
 player, 7 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 06:24
The Mug and Cauldron
The father emerges from the stables, and once open, the family rolls on inside, and begins unloading various foodstuffs, and a number of barrels and casks. A mixture of accented Aralaise, and Shevnian and laughter can be heard from within. The mother's distinctive Shevnian can be heard inside:"Казимир, дорогая.. Будете ли вы размещать, что уведомлениеиз передней? Мы просто слишком заняты, чтобы заботиться об этих крысах, и они больше, чем кошки могут справиться!" A moment later, "Kazimir" the man's name is, emerges with a vellum posting in Shevian and Aralaise, that reads: "Help wanted, Inquire Within!"
He takes a few nails from his mouth, and hammers the posting, near the door, above which the tavern's sign can be seen, depicting a frothing mug and a steaming cauldron.
"Сделано. Итак, что на ужин?" The man jovially replies, heading back inside..

This message was last edited by the player at 08:24, Thu 10 Oct 2019.

Aldous Hack
 player, 4 posts
 Housekeeper's orphan,
 Street runner, rogue
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 09:11
The Mug and Cauldron
A young man, above average height and dressed in light leathers, with curly brown hair poking out from under his leather cap, idles up to read the newly posted notice.  He glances sidelong up and down the street, then pushes the door open.

"I saw the man put up a notice.  What sort of help do you need?"  His Aralaise has the easy flow of a native speaker.  "Oh, and nice sign!"

The man is slender, and carries a large knife on his right side, with three smaller knives arrayed across the back of his belt.
Svendegard Yurick
 player, 3 posts
 Innkeeper's Son &
 Shevnian Adventurer
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 09:39
The Mug and Cauldron
Hearing the Aralaise announce himself, the burly Shevnian youth, pokes his head around the corner, an apple in his mouth. He removes it, and yells: "Hey Dad! Somebody about the job!!"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 10:33, Thu 10 Oct 2019.

Kazimir Yurick
 player, 8 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 09:57
The Mug and Cauldron
The youth disappears, then a girl's face pops 'round, followed by an attractive older woman, who looks to be their mother. Shortly, a Shevnian man, with a scar across one eye, walks into the bar. "Welcome! Please, come inside."
The man pours from an earthenware pitcher, a fizzy beverage, into a wooden cup, that is not unlike a small beer. "Have some kvass! My name is Kazimir, and my family and I are hoping we can find a solution to our rat infestation. We can provide food and drinks, mainly... but we can put together some coin as well.. Interested?"
The Shevnian hands the man the drink.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 09:58, Thu 10 Oct 2019.

Fisher 'Porter' Black
 player, 2 posts
 Young swordsman
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 18:48
The Mug and Cauldron
An athletic young man walks in to the bar, presumably to have a drink.  He is tall and broad shouldered with thick forearms but not overly packed with bulging muscles.  His dark hair is thick and unkempt and ends above the shoulder and he sports a thin untrimmed beard.  As he crosses the tavern his leathers creak quietly hinting that they have yet to be worn in.

The young man, barely into his twenties sets his shield down ready to order something when he over hears the prospect of a job.  He joins in without being invited.  His eyes sparkle at the mention of paid work.  ”I”m looking for work.  I'll kill rats for ya if there's coin in it.”
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 9 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 19:33
The Mug and Cauldron
Kazimir nods, and pours the other man a cup, and sets it on the bar for him.
"Welcome then. There's rather alot of them, and they've gotten comfortable here. We'll never be a respectable place, until we get rid of them. Who might you fellows be?"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:36, Thu 10 Oct 2019.

Aldous Hack
 player, 5 posts
 Housekeeper's orphan,
 Street runner, rogue
Thu 10 Oct 2019
at 21:50
The Mug and Cauldron
"I'm Aldous Hack.  Northport born and bred, as I hear by your speech you're not."  He pauses to take a cautious sip of the kvass"Wow, that's different."  He takes another sip.  "Kind of tangy, a little bit of a buttermilk undertaste.  I could get used to it, I think.

"Anyway, I've been doing this and that, for meals or drinks when there was no coin in it, for some years now.  Not a fan of rats, so I have no problem in removing them, though here in Northport, rats come in several flavors -- some are just pests, others can hurt you if you don't watch your step.

"You don't have the kind with poison quills, I hope?"

Kazimir Yurick
 player, 10 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Fri 11 Oct 2019
at 09:42
The Mug and Cauldron
"Yes, we are Shevnian. You like the kvass? It's good for you! The next batch has mint, added. We make it from day-old bread, and we're fortunate enough to have bakers for neighbors. As to the rats, so far all I have seen, have been the common variety. Since we're all so close, perhaps the baker will help us put a pot together for your efforts, as getting rid of these pests, would help us all!"
Fisher 'Porter' Black
 player, 3 posts
 Young swordsman
Fri 11 Oct 2019
at 18:41
The Mug and Cauldron
Black smiles when the barkeep mentions that there is an abundance of rats.  In his minds eye he can see a fat coin purse in his hand for all the work to come.

The young mercenary nods at the other man inquiring about work as he sips at the drink gifted to him.  ”Mmm.  That is different.  Nice flavor.”  Fisher smiles warmly as he sizes up the man he's going to be fighting side by side with.  ”Nice to meet ya Hack.  Name's Porter.”

He stands a bit, quietly and then it occurs to him, only through experience, that when people are paying for something they typically want to know the value of what they're getting.  So Black offers a simple resume.  ”Same here.  Northport born.  I spent some time in a local militia, so I'm pretty handy with this.”  He pats the sword dangling from his belt.
Aldous Hack
 player, 6 posts
 Housekeeper's orphan,
 Street runner, rogue
Fri 11 Oct 2019
at 21:52
The Mug and Cauldron
"Pleased to meet you, Porter.  Don't know that you'll get too far with rats using that -- take you longer to swing it around than it does for a rat to run in under it.  Got good sturdy boots?

"I've practiced with the smallsword, but times are tight.  I'll get one when I can; meantime, I'll have to hope my leathers will turn most of the rat bites.  Or try to stick them from a distance, but then I have to worry about them running off with my knives."

Thorg
 player, 1 post
 Average Height, Heavy Set
Fri 11 Oct 2019
at 22:10
The Mug and Cauldron
Another body comes through the door, Back pack frame, spear and a quiver of Javelins  You need  a Guard or sumthin'?
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 11 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Fri 11 Oct 2019
at 23:33
The Mug and Cauldron
"Not as much of a guard,than an exterminator! You see...We have a very biiiiig rat problem. They keep welling up out of the cellar! If you can find their nests, and wipe them out, I'll provide food, drinks, and put together a pot, with the baker, to add some coin in it, for you." Kazimir takes another wooden cup, and pours the newcomer some kvass, setting on the bar for him.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:35, Fri 11 Oct 2019.

Thorg
 player, 2 posts
 Average Height, Heavy Set
Sat 12 Oct 2019
at 04:31
The Mug and Cauldron
The man walks over and looks at the cup... what'a I owe you for it?  He raises it sniffs it and turns his head to the side a bit... what is it?
Get rid o rats? I can help.... is there a place we can stay? an How much is food here?
He sets the back pack down and spying a fat healthy rat, draws a Javelin ... sort o' over kill, but good practice I suppose.

He hauls back and throws the javelin at the rat.
He then takes a sip of the proffered cup... swishes it around in his mouth a bit before swallowing ... Interestin' stuff.
He puts the cup down and goes to pick up his Javelin, checking it as he brings it back.
Narrator
 GM, 6886 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 12 Oct 2019
at 04:56
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Thorg (msg # 19):

As good as the Kvass is, most Northporters will be looking for conventional ale or beer. In the basement had been glimpsed some racks for barrels and bottles... among the rats.
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 12 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Sat 12 Oct 2019
at 10:12
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Thorg (msg # 19):
"It's similar to a small beer, and it's on the house. You can sleep in the stables, and if you want stronger drink, I think my wife can manage something."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 10:12, Sat 12 Oct 2019.

Fisher 'Porter' Black
 player, 4 posts
 Young swordsman
Sat 12 Oct 2019
at 16:56
The Mug and Cauldron
Black notes the big man enter and assert himself as a guard.  Never hurts to have more hands on a job.  Then again, too many hands means smaller shares all around and Fisher hopes there wont be too many more applicants.

He watches the newcomer throw his javelin and quips with a smile.  ”Nice toss friend.  Name's Porter.  What's yours?”

Black downs the rest of his Kvass and answers the barkeep.  ”I'll take something stronger.  And some stew if you've got it.  If I'm going to be fighting rats might as well do it on a full stomach.”
Thorg
 player, 3 posts
 Average Height, Heavy Set
Sat 12 Oct 2019
at 18:04
The Mug and Cauldron
My Thanks, I am called Thorg ... grew up in Northport and became a soldier for a while, but wanted more variety in my day. 
He turns to the Inn Keeper  Do you want these rats we kill for any reason?
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 13 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Sat 12 Oct 2019
at 23:47
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Thorg (msg # 23):
"For keeps? No.. But gather up their remains, so's we don't stink up the place. We'll provide sacks. There will be soup, and knishes tonight. You can hang hammocks, or bed down on the straw in the stables. Don't mind Boris, our Ox..He might fuss a bit, but you'll get used to each other. If you see Paskha and Koshka, tell them they are out of a job!"
The man laughs jovially.
He thinks for a moment...
"You know, you could probably sell those rats to some goblins, or even the guild kitchens, as rumor has it, that's what goes into the "hot brown", over there!"

Thorg
 player, 4 posts
 Average Height, Heavy Set
Sun 13 Oct 2019
at 01:14
The Mug and Cauldron
Many eat them, as meat can be expensive, Rats are readily available.
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 14 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Sun 13 Oct 2019
at 02:13
The Mug and Cauldron
"Yes...Well, all's halal that ends well, and you dim-sum, you lose some!"
The Shevnian joked.
"I'd lose my Inn, if I served rat!"
Then, getting business-like, he added:
"Scared meat, is lowest I'll go, in that regard."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 02:14, Sun 13 Oct 2019.

Narrator
 GM, 6890 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 13 Oct 2019
at 04:27
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Kazimir Yurick (msg # 26):

The yard outside the inn has an old pile of refuse beside the kitchen door. there is a gate out to the street, and beside the stables is an outhouse, apparently used in common by the neighborhood, as there are a couple of doors that open onto the stable yard ( the one next to the inn leads to the bakery that shares a wall, and the other leads to a run down house that shares a wall with the stable yard.
Svendegard Yurick
 player, 4 posts
 Innkeeper's Son &
 Shevnian Adventurer
Sun 13 Oct 2019
at 04:46
The Mug and Cauldron
The son comes into the bar noisily, with several spigoted casks, and jugs on a rough, hand-cart. "Here's what Ma turned out, Dad. There's cider and mead in the jugs, and the casks are ale, and berry and fruit wines, like you asked for."
He looks over the group of newcomers to his home.
"Hello, and welcome. I'm Sven. Mom sure will be happy to know the notice was answered so fast. You know she can tell fortunes?, and if you get hurt, or poisoned, she can take care it. Are you staying with us tonight?"

This message was last edited by the player at 04:48, Sun 13 Oct 2019.

Kazimir Yurick
 player, 15 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Sun 13 Oct 2019
at 04:58
The Mug and Cauldron
"Yes son, I'll go speak to the baker about helping us put together coin, after they see the help i've brought to take care of our rats. Take over the bar, and give them three drinks on the house, whatever they want. I'm going to prepare the stables for our guests, and then I'll tell Hetty we're having guests tonight, so she'll make enough food for everyone."
The man oddly takes his lute with him for the task, as he heads out the door.