The Mug and Cauldron.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Fisher 'Porter' Black
 player, 19 posts
 Young swordsman
Fri 1 Nov 2019
at 05:20
The Mug and Cauldron
Fisher lowers his head slightly when the owners and workers comment that they do not want their business to go up in ashes.  ”Ohh.”, he remarks, apparently having not thought of that possibility.

But moments later when a new applicant enters and says he is a fire mage Black thinks he is being made fun of.  He listens and follows the conversation without comment.
Aldous Hack
 player, 22 posts
 Housekeeper's orphan,
 Street runner, rogue
Fri 1 Nov 2019
at 09:02
The Mug and Cauldron
"Yeah, fire isn't that great in a cellar with only one exit.  If you have a way to use it without setting anything else on fire, though, it might be useful.

"What we need is something that kills a bunch of rats all at once.  The three of us poking at them with our knives and such would not only take days, it'd either end with us being buried under the swarm or with most of them just running out through their holes and coming back as soon as we take the lights away."

Svendegard Yurick
 player, 23 posts
 Innkeeper's Son &
 Shevnian Adventurer
Fri 1 Nov 2019
at 13:53
The Mug and Cauldron
"Hey Dad..You reckon we could cement up masonry, and tar up the holes in the woodwork, like they do in ships? Then, we could hit 'em with smoke, and let these fellows do the rest?
I mean, we'll have to do all that anyways, to keep the rats, from getting back in."

Kazimir Yurick
 player, 28 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Fri 1 Nov 2019
at 14:04
The Mug and Cauldron
"You have a point there, son. We could do the repairs first, in order to trap them, and keep them inside...but we'd need to all vacate to the stables, during the smoke-out. We can stay in the wagon for a night, if we have to. Either that, or we find some sort of talisman that will repel rats, like a gift that keeps on giving!"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 14:06, Fri 01 Nov 2019.

Sparky
 player, 10 posts
 Skinny & hungry looking
Fri 1 Nov 2019
at 18:32
The Mug and Cauldron
Well, as pointed out, Rats do not care for light and that I can create, so I make something very bright with the continuing Light spell, and they should seek darker places, THEN we patch the cellar up ... though Rats will gnaw through most anything to get to food. For that, a cat or two in the cellar might be useful.
Narrator
 GM, 6970 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 16:23
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Sparky (msg # 134):

The broad and knotted planks of the tavern floor have a few gaps between them; plugging it might be expensive. Beating the rats away from the stairs might help,  and killing the bigger ones might scare off the smaller ones.

Also, you could check with the neighbors about how extensive the problem is on the block...
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 29 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 17:12
The Mug and Cauldron
"Sven, I'm going to talk with some more of our neighbors, and see how bad their rats are, compared to ours. We could end up pooling our resources, to help each other. The baker was out getting supplies, so I'll see if anyone's returned yet. It's nearly supper-time, so i'll try again..."
Kazimir takes up his lute, a drinking set, and bottle of elderberry wine with him.
Svendegard Yurick
 player, 25 posts
 Innkeeper's Son &
 Shevnian Adventurer
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 17:14
The Mug and Cauldron
"Okay, Dad."
Baker
 NPC, 1 post
 Works next to
 Mug and cauldron
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 19:12
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Kazimir Yurick (msg # 136):

Kazimir rounds the corner, to the small, and stone walled bakery that shares a wall with the kitchen hearth behind the bar. The shop is small, although as tall as the inn. The upper level is presumably sleeping quarters for the baker and his wife, with 5he upper loft probably a space for his sons.

The baker is form8ng dough for tomorrow's bake (or the day after, depending on how much of a rise is wanted) with his daughter, who looks a little anxious. Two cats wend around their feet.
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 31 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 19:27
The Mug and Cauldron
"Ho neighbor! I see you're busy, but would you have time to discuss the possibility of a collaboration on solving the local rat problem? We can talk over some of my wife's elderberry wine!"
15:26, Today: Kazimir Yurick rolled 13 using 3d6.  diplomacy ~ 16.
Fisher 'Porter' Black
 player, 20 posts
 Young swordsman
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 22:00
The Mug and Cauldron
Black follows along the back and forth exchanges between all the players and is soon believing that he isn't being pranked.  He wracks his poor mind to think of ways of dealing with a swarm of rats, mostly the small variety with a few huge ones sprinkled in.  But this just isnt anything he's come across before or trained for.  This time around he keeps his ideas to himself to mull them over before he offers them to the group.  He doesn't want to be seen as a dummy.

Fisher delves into the idea of flooding the basement with water to drown them and he is almost ready to share his wonderful solution.  It solves everything.  The rats will die and the place wont burn down.  But just before his mouth opens it does occur to him, how would they rid the place of the water.  He is stumped.

Then Aldous states 'What we need is something that kills a bunch of rats all at once', and Porter thinks, Yeah, like fire.
Aldous Hack
 player, 24 posts
 Housekeeper's orphan,
 Street runner, rogue
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 23:32
The Mug and Cauldron
"You can make lights as bright as you want, and it'll only be a temporary fix.  You see rats mostly at night because they can hide better then, so they're out more in the dark -- but hang out behind a mill or brewery or slaughterhouse and you'll see 'em right out in the sunlight, in front of God and everybody."

Aldous blinks a couple times, then makes a sign, touching his forehead, his belly, and each side of his chest.

"Cats are good, but I doubt you'd want a cat around that was big enough and mean enough to go down in that cellar right now -- and if you get a queen, then you'll turn your rat problem into a cat problem in short order.  A couple little dogs might do better than a cat, but you haven't got time to raise good ratters from pups -- and you can't depend on buying an adult, it'll just run home as soon as you turn your back."

Aldous frowns.  "We need magic, no doubt about it, but any magic man or woman will tell you they can solve your problem, whether it's true or not.  That's how they get paid -- for their time, not for their results."
Baker
 NPC, 2 posts
 Works next to
 Mug and cauldron
Mon 4 Nov 2019
at 16:46
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Kazimir Yurick (msg # 139):

"Neighbor, I wondered when you would make the rounds! The rats are a problem indeed. We get 5hem through the yard, and we keep a barred lid over the latrin now, but thankfully, they do not come in through the walls. The cats keep up with most of them, and help with the mice."

His daughter, who looks to ba about six seems anxious about something...
Sparky
 player, 12 posts
 Skinny & hungry looking
Mon 4 Nov 2019
at 22:53
The Mug and Cauldron
Sparky finds two pieces of broken brick which he sits down with and starts mumbling and making odd movements.  One of them suddenly becomes extremely (makes your eyes hurt) bright.
Thorg
 player, 22 posts
 Average Height, Heavy Set
Mon 4 Nov 2019
at 22:54
The Mug and Cauldron
Thorg gathers up his javelins and stuff, puts his back pack off to the side When we get some light we'll go down and kill as many as we can.
Aldous Hack
 player, 27 posts
 Housekeeper's orphan,
 Street runner, rogue
Mon 4 Nov 2019
at 23:33
The Mug and Cauldron
"Whoa, that's a nice, useful trick, Sparky.  Something you could teach me?"  Aldous gives a somewhat dubious smile.

"Anyone get a good look around down there, or were you too busy trying to keep the rats outta yer leggings too?"  His gaze indicates he's addressing Thorg and Porter.
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 32 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 00:58
The Mug and Cauldron
Kazimir notes the girl's mood.
"The rats in my cellar are like carpet, with some as large as small dogs. I've hired some folks to clear them out, so we can regain use, down there. There's so many, that an armed group of 3 men seem at a loss, where to start, without being overwhelmed!"
Setting down the bottle and cups, he pours for two on the baker's counter.
Kazimir plays a ditty on his lute, masking the spell he'd cast, in doing so...
"I've been working on a new song..."
19:53, Today: Kazimir Yurick rolled 9 using 3d6.  mind reading ~ 14.
19:59, Today: Kazimir Yurick rolled 11 using 3d6.  lute ~ 15.
Kazimir read the girl's thoughts to find what would trouble such a young girl...

This message was last edited by the player at 01:00, Tue 05 Nov 2019.

Narrator
 GM, 6981 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 00:59
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Sparky (msg # 143):

Make another roll... you m8ght just crit again and make a permanent sun stone. Also, yes, that cost nothing to do.
Baker's daughter
 NPC, 1 post
 Frightened waif
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 01:03
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Kazimir Yurick (msg # 146):

The little girl glances away...
Kazimir Yurick
 player, 33 posts
 Skald & Innkeeper
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 01:11
The Mug and Cauldron
20:06, Today: Kazimir Yurick rolled 13 using 3d6.  carousing ~ 17.
Kazimir smiles, and raises his glass to the baker. "Cheers!"
He takes a sip, and speaks again:
"We haven't been able to see the extent of our own cellar. I wonder if ours connect...The family and I heave heard scratching sounds, have you heard or seen anything strange?"
He gives the girl a kind glance for a moment, as he raises his cup to take another sip, and await the baker's reply, or perhaps an interjection from the girl.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:11, Tue 05 Nov 2019.

Sparky
 player, 13 posts
 Skinny & hungry looking
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 02:09
The Mug and Cauldron
In reply to Narrator (msg # 147):

Will a 5 do it?
19:08, Today: Sparky rolled 5 using 3d6.  Sun Stone.
Fisher 'Porter' Black
 player, 21 posts
 Young swordsman
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 16:44
The Mug and Cauldron
Black looks on as he stands idly to the side watching and following along with the back and forth discussion and planning.  Try as he might to come up with some plan to eradicate the premises of rats, his ideas either seem to have holes or he's one step behind the others in the creative planning.

When the brick begins to glow he smiles and exclaims, ”Ooooo.  We need about ten 'a them down there.”
Sparky
 player, 15 posts
 Skinny & hungry looking
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 17:02
The Mug and Cauldron
Well here is one... give me a bit and I will try to make another.
Svendegard Yurick
 player, 26 posts
 Innkeeper's Son &
 Shevnian Adventurer
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 17:09
The Mug and Cauldron
"Hey, that's great! Can I pour you a drink?"
Sparky
 player, 16 posts
 Skinny & hungry looking
Tue 5 Nov 2019
at 17:57
The Mug and Cauldron
Just some of the 'vass stuff ... drinking and casting don't mix well. He picks up the next brick half and again casts  on it.