Seekers of the Flame.   Posted by Narrator.Group: archive 0
Narrator
 GM, 7390 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 15:58
Seekers of the Flame
Once a crew is assembled,  Christine, Jednesa, Masugatan and others will be heading deep into Sonne to find the oracle of shrine to an eternal flame.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1796 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 22:35
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 1):

"Before we go, I just wanted to talk about hiring a healer, and discussing payment. I have no real cash, but there are said to be creature have have gathered massive fortunes there. I am willing to offer full shares are rewards, and I will take the last choice of magic items in the distribution of shares. In situations where a single item is worth more than a share, the group would need to agree, or the person getting the valuable item can repay the group for the extra amount.

Jednessa and I will discuss provisions, but I expect to make them magically, but to take some spares just in case. Thoughts?
"
Camilla
 player, 87 posts
 Guild Broker
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 20:41
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 2):

"I can attend to acruing supplies on behalf of Jednesa. In the meantime,  there are a few candidates for healer. One is Alice Abernathy,  priestess of Vejovis,  and the other is Mcnealy,  a gnome who specializes in brewing healing potions... and explosives."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1801 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 20:55
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Camilla (msg # 3):

"Both sound interesting. If they are willing to accept my terms, please send them to speak with me."
Masugatan
 player, 322 posts
 street thug
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 00:46
Seekers of the Flame
“Thoughts?  Sorry, ain’t got any.”
Camilla
 player, 88 posts
 Guild Broker
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 03:45
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 4):

"I can get them into my conference room for you to interview. Let us go there, and I will have Bellarius send for them."



You head up to the large conference room and get settled.

A few minutes later, there is a knock on the door.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1807 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 04:00
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Camilla (msg # 6):

"Please, come in..."
Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 1 post
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 17:53
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 7):

A woman in black robes and a goat medallion and carrying a staff steps in.
"Good afternoon, and blessings from below."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:53, Tue 11 Feb 2020.

Mcnealy
 NPC, 1 post
 Gnomic artificer
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 17:59
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 8):

Behind the woman in black, and lower to the ground, is a gnome with a sharp beard and goggles.

"Greetings and Salutations! I am Hugh McNealy, travelling alchemist at large."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:33, Tue 11 Feb 2020.

Masugatan
 player, 323 posts
 street thug
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 19:00
Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan suddenly realizes he really, really likes Alice's goat medallion.  He seems fixated on it.  In fact, if there was a Quest for Alice's Medallion, he'd probably be first in line, even if he had to go in with no equipment other than boxers and a torch.

He tries to express his appreciation of Alice's taste in jewelry, but somehow the words just come out wrong.  His tongue is caught in a trap!

At long last, he manages, "Whoa."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:03, Tue 11 Feb 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1808 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 19:19
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 8):

"Good Afternoon Alice and Hugh.

Basically the situation is this: I am seeking the eternal flame in order to learn how to divine. A cult has been going around killing diviners, and there are many folk who are investigating this, but the cult remains hidden. However, I figure I can get them to come to me if I learn how to divine.

In order to do that, I need to go to the eternal flame. The road is dangerous, and many creatures on the way have killed many a traveler. Whilst I cannot offer any reward up front, I am looking for companions skilled in healing us to come with myself and my few friends for an equal share in what is found. Is this what you are looking for also?
"
Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 2 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 20:29
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 8):

"I might need to be staked out for supplies, as Vejovis offers healing and justice for the downtrodden, but usually leaves it to the bakers to bring them bread."
Mcnealy
 NPC, 2 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 20:40
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Mcnealy (msg # 9):

"I can acquire my own provisions, and transport them along with my portable laboratory and smithy with the aid of Belasco, my trusty steed.  If we are to face the guardians of the temple of flame, some fire resistance potions would be in order. As luck would have it, I recently  came into possession of some essential salts from a flame lord that I got from.... you, wasn't it?
Masugatan
 player, 324 posts
 street thug
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 21:49
Seekers of the Flame
Do any of us have a high merchant skill?  Maybe we could do a batch haggle, if so.
Jednesa
 player, 403 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 22:26
Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa just sits waiting semi-patiently as they negotiate.  She occasionally mutters, "dragon" cracks her knuckles, and smiles broadly.

This message was undeleted by the player at 22:31, Wed 12 Feb 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1810 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 22:57
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 15):

"Yes, it was me with the flame lord salts. I am happy to create food."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 1 post
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 00:42
Seekers of the Flame
Two tallish human women enter the large conference room with Bellarius, who passes
documents to Camilla,  who nods.
The two women are clad in leather, carrying coiled whips and small shields, as well as large backpacks.  Their features are strikingly similar; the most visible difference is that one is barely shorter and a little younger than the other.

The taller, older woman scans the room.  Her gaze quickly settles on blue hair, and she strides over to the table, the younger one on her heels.  She hauls her helmet off her short, curly blonde hair, revealing her pale complexion and violet eyes.

"You must be Christine.  Eamon said I might find you here.

"I'm Evelina Grattan, Queen of the Frog God Cult.  This is Holy Sister Elaina Grattan, my acolyte and little sister."

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:00, Sat 15 Feb 2020.

Elaina Grattan
 player, 1 post
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 00:45
Seekers of the Flame
The younger woman also removes her helmet and smiles broadly, revealing that, if they weren't obviously of different age, they might be taken for twins.

"We've been traveling for years, and we're hoping Northport can become a permanent home for us, and our god."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 3 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 00:52
Seekers of the Flame
"Is that very large one with you?  And did she say something about a dragon?"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1811 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 01:30
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 19):

"Jednessa? Yes, she is a good friend."

She will go on to introduce those in the room, and repeat the offer of conditions, highlighting what she expects to meet and how much treasure they are likely to have, before continuing.

"There are several ways to our destination. One involved a dragon. The other involved many powerful beasts. I think I would prefer to fight beasts, because they are likely to be more profitable. But what do all of you ladies, and of course Hugh, seek? I already know what Masugatan seeks!" she smiles, knowingly.
Jednesa
 player, 404 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 02:35
Seekers of the Flame
Hearing her name she smiles, turns her head to take in the growing group, and jubilantly replies, "Yes, Jednesa want wrestle dragon.  Dragon very strong, good fight!"

She punctuates the last with a smack of one fist into the palm of the other.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 4 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 09:52
Seekers of the Flame
"Well, Jednesa, I have to say, I hope you're disappointed.  I think wrestling a dragon might be the end of you.  Perhaps you should start with a slorn, and work your way up?"

She turns back to Christine. "My sister and I, and our Frog God, can be of help.  We are both healers, experienced in the outdoors.  We would welcome the opportunity to enrich our Cult."

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1814 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 10:05
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 22):

"Glad to have ou then. Tell me about your god, and your cult."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 6 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 00:37
Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, it's a strange tale indeed.  When we were little -- well, Holy Sister was really little, I was, oh, maybe eight? -- I used to tell Holy Sister stories, because daddy was busy in the fields and mama had all she could do in the orchard.

"Anyway, I'd tell these stories, and the ones she liked best, even then, were always the ones about the Frog God.  Back then, I thought he was just a story, a frog who lived in a swamp and was really a god, and he'd be clever enough to keep from being eaten by the egrets and otters and big fish, and he'd have a harem of girl frogs and all the eggs would belong to him and things like that.  And Holy Sister believed every single word, didn't you?"

She looks at Elaina, who nods, eyes wide and grinning.

"I did this for years, and I told the stories to all my friends, too, and I told them all I was the Queen of the Frog God Cult and they could join if they promised to do whatever I told them to.

And then, one day, when I was oh, about fourteen -- right, Holy Sister?  You were ten?"
  Another nod.  "One day, I did something, and it wasn't just me talking about the Frog God, it was the Frog God, talking through me!  Holy Sister was ecstatic, she though it was the greatest thing ever, and asked the Frog God all kinds of questions, and all I could do was sit there under the pear tree -- we'd been picking, but it was too hot to stay up on the ladder until the sun got lower -- and listen to everything.  It would have been scary, but Holy Sister was right there, and she wasn't afraid, so I decided it was okay.

"I was too tired to climb back up the ladder afterward, and we got a whipping from mama for goofing off -- but Holy Sister kept pestering me to do it again, so I tried to remember exactly what I'd done before -- and a couple days later, I managed it again.

"After that, we talked to the Frog God that way every couple days.  He's got a name, but neither of us can say it.  I don't think anyone human could.  We just call him the Frog God, and he says he's okay with that.  He told us everything we ever needed to know about how to worship him, and he gave us powers and taught us to use them."


Evelina pauses, then says a couple words and gestures, and a tiny light, like a candle flame, appears in the air before her face, then flies around the room for a moment before returning and winking out.

"That was the very first thing he taught us to do.  To make that little light.

"When I started being able to do things like that, I was seventeen, and we'd been worshiping the Frog God, for real, for three years.  When mama and daddy found out, they made me sit down and have a really serious talk with them.  They said God -- they're Triunists, they only believe in one -- didn't approve of people playing with spirits, and I needed to stop.  I had to tell them the whole thing, that it wasn't just a spirit, it was the Frog God.

"They yelled a bit, tried their hardest to make me admit I was making it all up.  Eventually, they calmed down, and I let them talk to the Frog God.  They asked lots of questions, and the Frog God answered them all.  I thought for sure they'd understand after that, but they kept it up so long, I fell asleep before they stopped.

"When I woke up, they told me I needed to leave home.  I needed to stop deceiving and misleading my sister, and using this black spirit magic to convince her I was a prophet and a priestess.  They said there were good, honest ways to use magic, even if I was a spirit talker -- but I needed to stop this nonsense first."


Evelina's voice is choked by now, and a tear runs down her cheek.

"The next morning, I packed up what I owned, some clothes and a comb and a little mirror grandmama gave me when I was little, my knife, a bowl and a spoon.  Mama gave me a water bottle, some bread and cheese and a few pears, and a sack to carry it all in.  I kissed Holy Sister goodbye, but mama and daddy wouldn't kiss me.

"I started walking.  I didn't know where to go; I'd never been farther from the farm than the village market, but there was the road, and it had to go somewhere.  When it forked, I took the left, always the left.  I think I knew it would bring me back home, eventually.

"And two days later, it did -- and there was Holy Sister, standing at the corner of the orchard fence, with a sack just like mine.  We started turning whichever way after that.  We never went back again."


She looks at her sister, notices and wipes away the tear, now fallen to the corner of her mouth.

"We've been wandering for five years, now.  It's always the same.  Find a new village, show them a miracle or two, and they get all excited.  Start telling them everything about the Frog God, and they start to look worried.  Ask them to help support us if we'll help clear away the bugs that eat their crops and clean up their wells so they don't get sick, and they start frowning and suggest we might want to move on.

"Just a few weeks ago, we cured a duke's daughter.  She was coughing all the time, and burning up.  They said she'd been getting sicker, slowly, for months.  They didn't have a healer, I guess, or the one they had didn't know how to help her.

"We cured her, and then started telling the duke and his chamberlain about the Frog God -- and he ordered us out of the house, even though he'd agreed to pay us a purse full of gold if we could save her life.  We were used to that, of course -- but the girl's mother, the duchess, caught up to us before we got to the road and slipped us a purse.  It wasn't what the duke had offered, but it was enough to buy all new equipment, and there's still enough to keep us eating for a while."


She looks at Elaina's shiny new leathers and shield, and smiles.

"So, you see, there really isn't much of a cult.  I think one of my old friends believed me, back when we were kids, before we even started doing miracles, but I haven't seen her since we left home.  We had one convert, a couple years ago, a stable boy who left home to follow us, but I still think he mostly wanted to get into Holy Sisters sleeping fur, more than he wanted to follow the Frog God.  Doesn't matter, turns out he couldn't swim.  At all.  And by the time Holy Sister and I could find him in the river, he was dead, not just drowned, but really, genuinely dead."

"So, here we are.  Queen of the Frog God cult, and her Holy Sister."

Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 3 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 04:18
Seekers of the Flame
The woman in black gives the sisters a quizzical look "Really, the frog god? And establishes less than a generation  ago? Vejovis has been worshipped for well over a thousand years. And existed long before that. Your gos is a newborn."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1815 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 06:03
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 25):

Christine was a little disappointment when they talked about how they were forced to leave home, but found the concept of the Frog god amusing.

"So, this frog god, he gives you powers to heal. He is not limited geographically, is he? What powers do you have then? I should check, what upsets him? I do trust that you and Alice can get along, too. We don't want to start a religious war now."
Masugatan
 player, 325 posts
 street thug
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 07:57
Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan tries hard to follow Evelina’s story, but he’s distracted by unholy musings about what these leather-clad sisters could do to him with their whips.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 8 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 14:04
Seekers of the Flame
"Yes, Alice.  A newborn god.  A miracle.  An opportunity."  She turns to Christine.

"For myself, by the power of the Frog God I can call on the god, find and talk to animals of all kinds, make water, earth, and food pure and wholesome, detect and neutralize poison, heal wounds and fight disease, and find my way, if I know where I'm going.  I also have skills in healing without magic."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 2 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 14:13
Seekers of the Flame
"And the Frog God permits me to heal wounds and fight disease, create and purify water, and, at some cost, lay the dead so they will not walk.  Further, the Frog God sometimes shows me signs, and has granted me the ability to repel those dead who were not properly laid to rest."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 9 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 14:21
Seekers of the Flame
"In return, we must perform certain rituals, some daily, some less frequently, but these are in worship of the Frog God; we do them gladly.  Of those we help, all that is required is that you seek the good of the world, rather than destruction and death, do not harm the land or waters beyond need or their ability to heal, and do not actively persecute the followers of the Frog God."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1816 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 21:09
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 30):

"Ok, then. As I said to Alice and Hugh, basically the situation is this: I am seeking the eternal flame in order to learn how to divine. A cult has been going around killing diviners, and there are many folk who are investigating this, but the cult remains hidden. However, I figure I can get them to come to me if I learn how to divine.

In order to do that, I need to go to the eternal flame. The road is dangerous, and many creatures on the way have killed many a traveler. Whilst I cannot offer any reward up front, I am looking for companions skilled in healing us to come with myself and my few friends for an equal share in what is found. It goes without saying that fighting amoungst ourselves is not going to be acceptable.

So, Alice, Hugh, Evelina and your sister, are these terms acceptable to you all?
"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 11 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 01:02
Seekers of the Flame
The two priestesses look at each other briefly.  A nod might have passed between them, barely visible.

"We agree to those terms.

"I overheard you saying you can create food.  Do you know how long we might expect to travel?  Do you even know where this eternal flame is located, or must we first follow ancient clues and decipher riddles to find it?"

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1818 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 01:11
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 32):

"I am not sure, but I understand it is a long way. Yes, I can create food. I have been given directions, but not a map."
Masugatan
 player, 326 posts
 street thug
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 02:27
Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan is flattered that he wasn’t even asked to accept the terms, since his face is so cherubic that the thought of him doing anything wrong was utterly beyond conception.

If only they knew...
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1819 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 02:33
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 34):

Actually, message #2 was for him as well. Since he did not answer, it implied acceptance...
Masugatan
 player, 327 posts
 street thug
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 20:25
Seekers of the Flame
He accepts.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1821 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 00:21
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 36):

"Did I miss Alice?"
Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 4 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 20:46
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 37):

"Wow. Two healers... of a freshly invented deiform. Are you sure you need Vejovis to bless this quest?
Also, what do we eat if somethingwould happen to you?"

Narrator
 GM, 7416 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 20:48
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 38):

Masugatan, realizing that it is getting toward late afternoon, knows his window of getting good and tight and acquiring temporary companionship before the inevitable start up time is getting smaller and smaller.
Mcnealy
 NPC, 3 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 20:54
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 37):

"I see you have a surfeit of healing options... perhaps you might need my explisive flame producing ability?"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1822 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 21:22
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Mcnealy (msg # 40):

"Probably both are good. I can cast fire magic if we have mana...but if not, healing and fire could be in trouble... right? Do potions need mana?"
Masugatan
 player, 328 posts
 street thug
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 22:06
Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan briefly considers getting wasted and/or laid before setting out, but decides against it, in a rare moment of wisdom.  Besides, he’s rather taken by the females in the party, even though he realizes he has a rat’s chances against an owl bear with any of them.

But strange things happened on the road sometimes, and in stranger eons even he might get some without paying for it.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 3 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 17 Feb 2020
at 23:05
Seekers of the Flame
"We both are skilled and experienced in surviving from the land, especially in swamps and lakeshores, and my sister catches fish.  So long as we're near water, we ought to be able to eat.  And now that my Queen has seen Northport, she can, by the power of the Frog God, find her way back here from anywhere upon the Earth."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1823 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 01:11
Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 43):

"Excellent, then. In that case lets prepare tonight, sleep well, and leave from the guild at sunrise."

She will be ready to leave in the morning, after last minute shopping.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 13 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 09:59
Seekers of the Flame
"We shall return here at dawn, then.  We, too, have some final items to acquire."
Narrator
 GM, 7422 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 18:05
Seekers of the Flame
Ooc:

Alice and Mcnealy are both options I presented pending the addition of a healer plsyer. Do you really need them? I need at least 1 npc, and Masugatan could help with that, but I don't need more than one.
Jednesa
 player, 408 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 18:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
Ooc:

Alice and Mcnealy are both options I presented pending the addition of a healer plsyer. Do you really need them? I need at least 1 npc, and Masugatan could help with that, but I don't need more than one.

OOC:  My recommendation would be to have Alice decide to bow out.  She 'feels' like she's slightly antagonistic towards the Frog Sisters* and really, we don't need her (though running snide commentary from an NPC would be amusing...).  However a potioneer would have adequate potency in healing Jednesa as potions do not diminish despite her being SM+2 (which literally triples spell costs cast on her) and don't take a penalty on their 'casting roll' (since they don't have one, and she has MR)... though she would still be making HT Resistance checks against them (Magic Resistance is a blessing and a curse).

Honestly Jednesa needs to invest in an Ally NPC slinger who can sling Healing Spellstones at her (No resistance roll and no cost increase), as that would be literally the best way for her to heal up (since Berserk precludes using the spellstone herself)...


* Now I feel like a side trip to their hometown of Santa Carla to fight vampires is in order.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1825 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 19:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 47):

OOC: Yep, likewise, I do not think she is needed here, though I agree the potions would be useful.

I can always modify my potential Ally for that though. Spellstone is not on any of the cleric lists, though, but triple the cost would make healing more expensive. I thought I heard of a perk that could help with that, for one spell?
Jednesa
 player, 409 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 19:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 47):

OOC: Yep, likewise, I do not think she is needed here, though I agree the potions would be useful.

I can always modify my potential Ally for that though. Spellstones is not on any of the cleric lists, though, but triple the cost would make healing more expensive. I thought I heard of a perk that could help with that, for one spell?

OOC:  Spellstone is an Enchantment and in DFRPG meant to be an expense, ie you buy Spellstone in town, you don't make them.

From DFRPG Adventurers:  Gem of Healing. Jasper stone heals 8 HP when crushed in hand. One use. $400, neg.

Referred to as Stones of Power in DFRPG Magic Items, there are like 10 different ones, all meant to be used on/by the wielder, they aren't meant as 'ranged' weapons, though there is literally nothing stopping it (particularly Healing, Awakening, Unpetrification, though a really good slinger aiming for the hand/weapon could deploy the others at party members*).



* Though a mildly complicated Heroic Archer/Slinger Wizard with a "ritual"† version of Blank Spell Arrow would be a cheaper (moneywise) way to do this.  Or a Potion Master Sage/Heroic Slinger could cook up grenade versions and sling them... that sould be interesting....

† IE replacing time/money for FP as there is no way an adventurer could Enchant a Blank Spell "Arrow" in this game on a regular basis (30 x FP capacity of Spell to be held?  Pffffft).

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1826 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 20:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 49):

This is what I was looking for...

Thaumatology; Magical Styles P25:
Huge Subjects†‡
You’re accustomed to casting a particular Regular spell on larger-than-human-sized targets. This perk is common among dragon wizards, giant mages, and so on! You must specialize by spell. When casting that spell, subtract one from the target’s SM (minimum SM 0) before multiplying cost. You may take this perk twice, to reduce SM by two, but no more.

Jednesa
 player, 410 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 21:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
This is what I was looking for...

Thaumatology; Magical Styles P25:
Huge Subjects†‡
You’re accustomed to casting a particular Regular spell on larger-than-human-sized targets. This perk is common among dragon wizards, giant mages, and so on! You must specialize by spell. When casting that spell, subtract one from the target’s SM (minimum SM 0) before multiplying cost. You may take this perk twice, to reduce SM by two, but no more.

OOC:  Yes, right.  Sorry thought you were talking about taking Spellstone... I figure if we ever get a permanent Healer in the party (Frog Sister's maybe) the healer might, might, invest in a few levels of that for a heal or two.  Though, gwythiant might also allow for a variant of "Huge Subject [Specific Subject]" instead of "Huge Subject [Specific Spell]".
Masugatan
 player, 329 posts
 street thug
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 21:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
On second thought, Masugatan realizes his whistle could use a little wet.  Good booze can be hard to find on the road.

He goes out for a drink.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 16 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 00:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC: I suspect the primary qualification for that Huge Subject perk -- being accustomed to casting on a larger than human subject -- would be covered by traveling with Jednesa for a while.  OTOH, FWIW, both of use use slings for things we can't reach with our whips.  Not master level skill, of course, but we get by.

In the meantime, both of us can cast a maximum Major Healing, even at triple cost, without just falling over afterward.
Jednesa
 player, 411 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 05:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina Grattan:
In the meantime, both of us can cast a maximum Major Healing, even at triple cost, without just falling over afterward.

OOC:  Something else to be wary of if you cast a spell on Jednesa, she has MR 3, so you're at -3 to your spell checks.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:28, Wed 19 Feb 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1827 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 05:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 54):

Does that not also work against spellstones and potions?
Jednesa
 player, 413 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 06:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
Does that not also work against spellstones and potions?

OOC:  Neither make a roll, so neither are directly affected.  However, she has to make a HT+MR and fail for Potions to work; against Spellstones only if they have a Resistance Roll (which none of them do as they are all meant to be used by the wielder).

So upon reflection... there is a damned good chance potions will fizzle (which I didn't think about when she took the Healing Potion as loot)... so she needs to start stocking up on Gems of Healing.  Or pick up Regeneration, somehow...

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 06:13, Wed 19 Feb 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1829 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 06:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 56):

Created an Ally on standby with the appropriate perks if we cant work out something else. An appropriate fire god would be suitable for an ally of Christine...I think I still have cp I can use for her, right Narrator?
Evelina Grattan
 player, 17 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 10:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa:
OOC:  Something else to be wary of if you cast a spell on Jednesa, she has MR 3, so you're at -3 to your spell checks.


That's inconvenient, but not breaking.  If the spell fails, it only costs 1 FP; both can spare one on that (and with net skill 10, we have a 50% chance of success each casting).  Nor does that change our fumble rate.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1830 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 10:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 58):

Unless you have the Huge Subject perk, they will cost 3 fp for even the basic healing spells...
Jednesa
 player, 414 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 11:32
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
Unless you have the Huge Subject perk, they will cost 3 fp for even the basic healing spells...

OOC:  The rules say "If success would have cost energy, you lose one energy point; otherwise, you lose nothing."  So I don't think the times 3 is applied in a failure (unless it was Information spell as well, as Information spells cost the full value even in a failure).

This message was last edited by the player at 22:10, Wed 19 Feb 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 7425 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 14:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 57):

Let's  look at acquiring an ally along with the spell, a suitably impressed temple guardian works well.
Mcnealy
 NPC, 4 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 15:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 61):

Alice departs, and the gnome has signed on.
Do whatever shopping you need (Camilla will arrange for Jednesa to gave her harness repaired and the wagon supplied with group basics and some rations suitable for the ogress.
All regroup the next morning.
Valerie
 NPC, 1 post
 Barfly
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 15:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Mcnealy (msg # 62):

Masugatan wakes up in the Shady Lady to the scent of frying bacon. His bed looks like more than one person slept in it, and once he comes down to eat, the barmaid serves him, winks, and says "Let me go pack. Be ready by the time you finish."
Masugatan
 player, 330 posts
 street thug
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 20:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“You’re coming with me?  You know it’ll be dangerous, right?”

But what did it matters?  All was right with the world, as long as you got bacon.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 4 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 23:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Been a while since we slept in a common room, Holiness.  No stones or roots, I could get used to it."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 19 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 23:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Don't get too used to it, Holy Sister.  We need to advance the cult, and that will inevitably mean we get a place of our own, with actual beds, at some point."
Valerie
 NPC, 2 posts
 Barfly
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 20:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 64):

A few minutes later, she returns, wearing travelling leathers, including a light helm and a cuirasse set with metal plates and studs, and she carries a bedroll, a spiked mace, a knife and a throwing axe.

"Alright Sug, let's go kick some tail!"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 22 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 23:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina notices the armed and armored woman with Masugatan.

"Good morning to you!  I am Holiness Evelina Grattan, Queen of the Frog God cult -- but while we travel together, you may call me Evelina, or just Evvie."

She gestures toward the other, very similar looking woman with her.  "This is Holy Sister Elaina Grattan, First Acolyte.  Before she was Holy Sister, but just my little sister, I used to call her Lainie."
Valerie
 NPC, 3 posts
 Barfly
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 22:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 68):

"And I am Valerie, lately of the Shady Lady Inn and Tavern, on my way to kick tail and line my pockets with coin."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:33, Fri 21 Feb 2020.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 23 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 23:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"That's more or less what we have in mind, too.  We need to enrich our cult.  Ideally, I'd like to see us buy a nice piece of swamp front land and build a temple, but we'll start with renting something in town, if we can raise the coin."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 5 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 00:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I once heard someone say something about doing well by doing good.  That's us, we hope."
Masugatan
 player, 331 posts
 street thug
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 00:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“When I do well, I’ll do lots of good.  The brothel and tavern segment of the economy will get lots of stim, anyway.”

Or is it ‘ecomony’?  He hoped he’d gotten it right.
Jednesa
 player, 418 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 01:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa just waits by the cart for everyone to be assembled and ready to go.  There are five barrels and two chests lashed to it with rope and a tarp partially tied down covering it.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 24 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 12:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Queen Evelina and Holy Sister Elaina slip off their heavy packs and spend a few moments ensuring they won't shift or fall off the cart.

"We've seen a couple other ogres around Northport just since we arrived -- there's 'elga the Henormous who works for the city, and that fellow at the Guild. didn't catch his name -- but they seem more, um, city-bred.  I think I like you better, Jednesa.  I'm looking forward to this journey."
Jednesa
 player, 419 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 12:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa smiles at Evelina, "Small ogre better for city.  Mountain tribes not have city ways." She sighs, "Small man from Camilla say Jednesa wear this while in city."

She plucks at the sailcloth poncho and skirt she is wearing.  "That why Jednesa just sitting, not moving.  Everything weak in city, break when Jednesa move and if not careful."
Mcnealy
 NPC, 5 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Sat 22 Feb 2020
at 20:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 75):
The tiny alchemis pipes up:
"I had best watch my step around you, as should Bucephalos, my steed. It is good to have a woman of your... stature on our side."
Masugatan
 player, 332 posts
 street thug
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 00:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“You could move on me if you want.  I won’t break.”

And if I do, who cares?
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1832 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 11:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 77):

"I am delighted to have you all join me on this trip. I probably should say something inspirational, but what the heck. Lets go kick some ass and learn about divination! "

With that she leads them out of the city on the start of their journey.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 25 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 12:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Once we're away from the city, you can wear what you like, as far as I'm concerned."  Elaina nods agreement and smiles.

The sisters fall in behind the cart, setting their pace to match the slowest of the group (likely themselves, however).
Narrator
 GM, 7443 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 16:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 78):

As you head toward the Merchant gate, Christine feels something tugging st ger sleeve.


Make a will roll.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1833 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 19:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 80):

Christine turns...

[Private to GM: Rolled 2 under will.]
wretch
 NPC, 1 post
 I thought I saw someone
 nevermind I was wrong
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 20:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 81):

An emaciated person you are having trouble looking at is clutching at your sleeve and pleading. The sound of their voice seems indistince, and in general they seem unimportant and immediately forgettable.


Everyone with Christine needs to make a Will roll.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 26 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 23:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Who is that?"

[Private to GM: 18:02, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 14 using 3d6.  Will (14) relative to (beggar?).
18:04, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 8 using 3d6.  Will (13) relative to (beggar?).
]
Jednesa
 player, 420 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 00:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC:  Oh my, Jednesa might just pass...

19:14, Today: Jednesa rolled 9 using 3d6.  Will 7.

Fail by 2 if it's straight Will.  However she has an Amulet of Protection from Evil +3, and Magic Resistance of +3, so it's possible she'll succeed by either MoS +1 or +4.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1834 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 00:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to wretch (msg # 82):

"Who are you, exactly?"

She is careful not to loose anything...
Masugatan
 player, 333 posts
 street thug
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 00:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame

19:47, Today: Masugatan rolled 15 using 3d6.  Will roll.

Sadly, this fails...
wretch
 NPC, 2 posts
 I thought I saw someone
 nevermind I was wrong
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 21:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 86):

Everyone except Masugatan and Valerie notice a frail, emmaciated woman in stained and worn blue and white robes carrying a bow. She looks like she hasn't eaten in days. Valerie and Masugatan see nothing of significance,  nothing memorable.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 6 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 23:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Holiness, she looks starved!  How can we help, madam?  We can offer food, if you can manage trail rations, or coin to buy food for yourself.

Stop, Jednesa!"

Masugatan
 player, 334 posts
 street thug
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 01:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Huh?  What are you talking about?”

This was like one of those games he saw kids playing in the alleys sometimes.  All those weird dice...
Jednesa
 player, 421 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 01:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa stops, waiting to see what comes of this.
wretch
 NPC, 3 posts
 I thought I saw someone
 nevermind I was wrong
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 02:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 88):

She spills a bag of silver into her palm,
 "I have coin, but none can see me to sell to me. I beg you Marie, lift your curse! I have been living on the flesh of rats that I shoot, and fallen crusts. Forgive me!"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1838 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 09:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to wretch (msg # 91):

"I am Christine. I believe Marie is the slut that works in some brothel. But I will try to help you..."

She casts a spell...[Private to GM: Dispel Magic, rolled 9 under.]
Jednesa
 player, 422 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 11:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC:  Christine, Dispel Magic will affect all spells in the area, this means your and Jednesa's Bless as well.  So be careful where you splash that...
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1839 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 12:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 93):

It is an area spell, with a radius of one, so it should just effect her...
Masugatan
 player, 335 posts
 street thug
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 07:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Marie sounds like my kind of gal.”
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1845 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 08:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 95):

"Then I, most definitely, am not. You would do well to remember that!" she replies coldly. You almost feel the temperature drop a few degrees...
Elaina Grattan
 player, 7 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 10:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Alright, you two, get a, er, get separate rooms."

Elaina looks on at Christine and the beggar.  "Did it work, Christine?"
Emma Wilson
 player, 1 post
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 21:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 97):

"can you see me?"

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 17:41, Fri 28 Feb 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1846 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 01:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 98):

"I could see you before. question is, can any of those who did not notice you see you?"
Masugatan
 player, 336 posts
 street thug
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 02:11
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Just kidding.  I would never associate with the likes of Marie!  Just the thought makes my skin crawl.”
Narrator
 GM, 7466 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 17:42
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 98):

All of you can see her now!
Jednesa
 player, 423 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 20:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa can hear you better now.  And you are not so blurry.  Who are you?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 28 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 29 Feb 2020
at 00:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I agree, it's much easier to look at you now, and your voice seems clearer as well.  Do you know Christine?"
Masugatan
 player, 337 posts
 street thug
Sat 29 Feb 2020
at 03:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan hocks a loogie, spits it on the ground and awaits further developments.
Emma Wilson
 player, 2 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 2 Mar 2020
at 04:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 104):

"You can all see me? Oh thank you...wait if you are not Marie, who are you and how did you lift the curse?"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1847 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 2 Mar 2020
at 04:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 105):

"I am Christine, and I am told I look a lot like Marie. I am a mage, and I and my friends are headed out of town for a bit. Why don't you join us?"
Emma Wilson
 player, 3 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 2 Mar 2020
at 04:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 106):

"I, uhhh. Ok then. Mind if I stop by a merchant on the way and get some food? Can I leave this small bundle with anyone so I can be a bit quicker, and meet you at least the town gate?"

She holds up a tent and blanket, tied together with string.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1848 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 2 Mar 2020
at 04:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 107):

"Sure. I will come with you. Jednessa, why don't you guys head to the gate, and we will see you there shortly... after I find out a bit about her..."
Masugatan
 player, 338 posts
 street thug
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 02:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan shrugs and gets ready to head to the gate.  He just hopes the girls don’t get into some heavy shopping while they wait.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1849 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 03:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 109):

After a quick meal and purchasing more, Emma and Christine arrive at the gate at about the same time as the rest of the group.
Narrator
 GM, 7481 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 14:35
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 110):

Together, you head out through thr Merchant's gate, with a plan to head south and then slightly eastward. The poor folk outside the wall retreat into their shanties at the sight of the ogress. Agead lies a road past fields of .barley and lavender, and you can see the treeline of the once bandit filled woods. Masugatan, Christine, and Jednesa  all know this route. If they continued due south, they would eventually  reach the Abbey, if they took the eastern fork, they would pass through Balar's old camp, which is the direction to take.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1850 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 23:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 111):

Not knowing much about Balar, and with the problem resolved anyway, they head out past his old campsite.
Jednesa
 player, 424 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 23:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As soon as they clear the gates and get far enough away as to not be in the shadow of the city, Jednesa stops, carefully takes off the skirt, gently folds it, and puts it in one of the two chests.

She seems to stand taller* and move more freely, not having to worry about destroying the "pretty dress" (or the buildings, or bystanders, etc).




OOC:  She is wearing a loincloth and the poncho.  She'd take the poncho off too, but it's under her harness, so it's a bit more involved.  Besides, it won't survive the mission.

* To her full 11' 6".  She tends to slouch and scrunch down in the city.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 29 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 23:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Well, look at you!"  Evelina gives Jednesa a grin.  "You look more yourself already!"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1851 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 00:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 114):

"Yes indeed! Freedom is underrated! There is something nice about being out of the city!"
Masugatan
 player, 339 posts
 street thug
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 01:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan, confident in his toughness, offers to take point.  If a black arrow must strike someone in their party, let it be him!
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1852 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 01:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 116):

Offer accepted...
Valerie
 NPC, 4 posts
 Barfly
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 21:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 116):

"You keep some weird friends, between the Frog sisters, the ogre stripper, the invisible  beggar and the blue elf and her clay knight.  I swear she looks like Marie, but she doesn't sound like her. Mind if I walk with you?"
Elaina Grattan
 player, 8 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 23:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We're the Grattan sisters, actually.  Holiness and I are the priestesses of the Frog God, but we were sisters before we learned about him."
Masugatan
 player, 340 posts
 street thug
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 09:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Assuming he’s the one being spoken to, Masugatan has no objections to some company.  This isn’t usually a big problem for him, however.
Valerie
 NPC, 5 posts
 Barfly
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 21:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 120):

Valerie, walking ahead of the group with Masugatan, was speaking to him.

The woods are fairly quiet, and while the road is not in good repair, there are signs of very deep mule prints coming through this way; Masugatan would remember why.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1853 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 04:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 121):

Christine is happy for company as long as she does not hear about Marie...
Masugatan
 player, 341 posts
 street thug
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 23:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan sighs as he sees the deep mule prints.  Such sweet memories they bring back...
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1854 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 05:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 123):

"Is there a story, Masugatan?"
Masugatan
 player, 342 posts
 street thug
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 08:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“A long one.  About a girl, and a wretched young hero who sacrificed a princely fortune just watch her steal his heart and ride away on a mule.  Not that I’m butter.”
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1855 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 08:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 125):

"Do tell..."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 30 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 08:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I agree, a good story will pass the time as we walk."
Masugatan
 player, 343 posts
 street thug
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 01:32
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan momentarily closes his eyes and sighs dramatically.  "Would you pluck this tale from me like a jagged arrowhead from my heart?  Very well, then.  Her name was Lisa.  Her eyes were silken orbs.  Her breasts were silken orbs too, only way bigger.  And the way she walked... it's like she had two gelatinous cubes stuffed down her pants.  Anyway, she was the princess, and I was a mere stable boy who was put in charge of her favorite pony.  She named him 'Bologna.'  One day she came in while I was greasing his sides up, and the moment she saw me her cheeks lit up bright pink.  She pretended not to see me, but I knew she had.  And boy oh boy, did I see her..."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1856 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 08:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 128):

Christine just waited for him to keep going...wondering if she was going to regret asking...
Elaina Grattan
 player, 9 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 09:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The two sisters pass a cryptic look, and Elaina partially stifles a giggle.
Valerie
 NPC, 6 posts
 Barfly
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 23:35
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 130):

"Good gods, Sug, I heard a limerick version of this! There once was a clergyman's daughter
Who detested the pony her father had bought her,
 until she found...."


She finishes it, and then recites the sequel about the girl's boyfriend Tony...
Elaina Grattan
 player, 10 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 08:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina snickers.

"What is it about limericks?  Is there some kind of rule that they always have to be naughty?"
Masugatan
 player, 344 posts
 street thug
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 16:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“I was a pony once.  Then I grew into a horse!”  He winks.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 31 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 21:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"A whole horse?  Or just part of one?"  Evelina looks sidelong at Elaina, and both break out laughing.

"Never mind us, Masugatan.  We used to make fun of everyone back home."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1857 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 21:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 134):

Christine just keeps an eye on where they are going, not really getting the humour, and not really wanting to!
Narrator
 GM, 7533 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 19:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 135):

Valerie's limericks may have caused Christine to have made a phobia check at +4.


In addition to that, hearing rolls all
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1858 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 21:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 136):

Fortunately Christine is focused on everything but the naughty limericks going on behind her as she and Chris move ahead of the talkative one...

[Private to GM: Rolled 5 for hearing, Per 12. Rolled 6 under for the phobia, so she has mentally shut out the conversation as per previous post, focusing instead on where they are going!]
Jednesa
 player, 425 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 23:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa is humming to herself, trying to find a decent marching song to fit the occasion...




OOC: 19:06, Today: Jednesa rolled 11 using 3d6.  Per 7, hearing check.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 32 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 10:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina cocks her head, suddenly looking quizzical.

[Private to GM: 06:37, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 11 using 3d6.  Perception (hearing) (14).]
Elaina Grattan
 player, 11 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 10:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I hear it too, Holiness."

[Private to GM: 06:39, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 7 using 3d6.  Perception (hearing) (13).]
Masugatan
 player, 345 posts
 street thug
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 16:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Hi ho, hi ho.  We’re off to kill some mo’!”
Jednesa
 player, 426 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 20:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Hearing everyone else getting into the mood for a proper marching song, Jednesa begins to sing out (extremely loudly):

"Příliš horké na dnešní život,
Dnes bojuje příliš mnoho nepřátel,
Pochodoval příliš daleko aby odešel bez zabití dnes,
Co je nebezpečí? Nebezpečí!"
...


[Private to GM: Too hot for living today,
Too many foes to fight today,
Marched too far to leave without killing today,
What's up danger?  Danger!


To the tune of What's Up Danger
]
Narrator
 GM, 7542 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 16:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 142):

There is a faint rustling in a tree off to the side, a bit louder than a squirrel.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1859 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 19:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 143):

"Jednessa, just a minute, please...what was that noise in the trees?"

She points to the area in question.
Jednesa
 player, 427 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 21:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa stops and turns to look at Christine (and thus the exact opposite direction of the rustling).
Evelina Grattan
 player, 33 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 22:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina moves as quietly as possible toward the tree with the rustle, uncoiling her whip as she goes and flipping it into a ready position.  After a few steps, she veers to the left and jerks her head to the right as she heads for a position two or three yards to the left of the tree.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 12 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 22:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina keeps a few steps behind her Queen, also loosening her whip, and veers right at her Holiness's head jerk, finishing two or three yards to the right of the tree.  Once she stops, she looks up into the branches.
Masugatan
 player, 346 posts
 street thug
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 02:35
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masu stops singing, draws Butcher’s Blade and gets ready to do some rustling of his own.
Emma Wilson
 player, 4 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 07:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 148):

"That way, my big friend." Emma directs Jednessa quietly, staying behind Christine and Chris.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:14, Tue 17 Mar 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 7549 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 14:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 149):

An arrow strikes Masugatan un the torso, but glances off of his heavy armor.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1860 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 19:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 150):

Christine creates a fireball as she seeks the source of the arrow.

"We are under attack!"

[Private to GM: Rolled 5 under for skill, rolled 4 under perception.]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 34 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 21:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina takes a step toward the source of the rustle, looking up into the branches.

[Private to GM: 17:49, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 5 using 3d6.  Perception (14).]
Masugatan
 player, 347 posts
 street thug
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 02:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan finds a tree to take cover behind as he tries to locate his attacker.
Jednesa
 player, 428 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:29/36 FP:13/13
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 04:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa turns and seeing the Frog sisters surrounding the tree with weapons ready she finally groks the situation.  She gently sets the cart's tongue down and eases into a sprinter's crouch in preparation to rush the tree...
Valerie
 NPC, 7 posts
 Barfly
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 20:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 154):

The barmaid checks on Masugatan,  while readying a throwing axe.


Up in the tree, an archer wearing a dark ragged surcoat is trying to draw another arrow.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 35 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 22:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina twirls the handle of her whip, launching the tail into the tree.

[Private to GM: Striking to disarm:
18:27, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 9 using 3d6.  Whip (13-2 for disarming strike).
Quick Contest: 18:28, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 6 using 3d6.  Whip (13+2 for disarming contest).  Success by 9.
]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1862 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 19:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 156):

Christine throws her fireball at the archer.

"There he is...but I bet he is not alone...check behind us, Emma."

[Private to GM: Rolled 3 under skill to him, minimum damage, as standard.]
Emma Wilson
 player, 5 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 19:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 157):

Emma happens to be standing in front of Jednessa when she turns to look behind them, and sees nothing. She creates a sunbolt just in case.

[Private to GM: Rolled 10 under skill for sunbolt, critical fail for perception though...she sees NOthing at all!]
Masugatan
 player, 348 posts
 street thug
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 23:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan grins excitedly as he sees the fireball fly to its target.  At times like these, he loves this job.
Jednesa
 player, 429 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 00:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Upon seeing an enemy Jednesa whoops "ANO!" and bolts forward stampeding past Emma to slam into the tree!




OOC:  Move and Attack, Slam.  'Ano' is Ogrish (Czech) for 'Yes'.

19:53, Today: Jednesa rolled 8 using 3d6.  Slam 16, shoulder into tree.

19:57, Today: Jednesa rolled 19 using 3d6+6.  Slam damage to tree, 3d+6 cr.

20:04, Today: Jednesa rolled 11 using 3d6-2.  Collision damage, 3d-2 cr.

Her rhinohide stops the damage, but she takes 2 injury from blunt trauma.

If the tree falls, Jednesa goes down with it, to slam it as hard as possible into the ground.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 36 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 09:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina jumps out of the way of Jednesa's charge.

"Jednesa!  We had this under control!  We need to look for others, bandits of this sort are like rats -- if you see one, there are probably ten more around."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1864 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 19:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 161):

"Lets see how many fall out of the tree before criticizing her..."
Masugatan
 player, 349 posts
 street thug
Wed 25 Mar 2020
at 04:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan cheers on the mighty ogress.  He can’t wait to see what she does if she gets her hands on them.
Narrator
 GM, 7577 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 19:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 161):

The stree shifts as it is slammed, some of the roots ripping from the ground, and the frog sister whose whip had entangled the leg of the archer is hoisted off the ground as the slightly charred archer falls out of the tree, along with his arrows and bow.

ST check to hold on to the whip, or fall and take 2d-6 crushing.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1865 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 22:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 164):

Christine looks around for accomplices as she creates another fireball...

[Private to GM: Rolled 4 under perception, not including acute vision 2 and telescopic vision 1 if appropriate, 10 under to cast fireball...]
Jednesa
 player, 430 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 01:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa grabs the archer and then shifts her grip to its head.




OOC:  All Out Attack, grapple and grapple head.

21:04, Today: Jednesa rolled 8, 10 using 3d6,3d6.  Grapple 16 and Grapple (Head) 11.

Narrator
 GM, 7584 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 18:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 166):

As Hednesa yanks on the archer, the whip weilding Frog sis yanked further into the tilted tree... now needing to roll vs 4d-12 falling damage if a ST check fails!
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1866 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 22:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 167):

Does the archer have any accomplices?
Evelina Grattan
 player, 37 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 28 Mar 2020
at 00:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina's whip jerks out of her hand, and she tumbles through the air and falls to the ground, Elaina already rushing to her side.


[Private to GM: 20:00, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 14 using 3d6.  ST check to hold onto her whip (11).
20:05, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 6 using 4d6-12.
]

OOC: tried to post this morning, but RPOL went down just as I was typing and I couldn't wait, had to run out to work.  Also, that whip attack was a disarm in the first place, not an entangle; should have just pulled the bow out of the guy's hand.  See msg. 156.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 13 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sat 28 Mar 2020
at 00:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina is beside Evelina almost before she hits the ground.
Narrator
 GM, 7592 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 18:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 169):

Given how high in the tree he was, you would have been able to reach the ankle, not the bow.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 38 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 21:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Ow!  That's gonna bruise, fer sure!"  Her Holiness seems to have forgotten some of her refinement in the moment.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 14 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 21:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, Holiness!  Let me heal you!"

Elaina puts her hands on Evelina's body and prays to the Frog God in a clear, carrying voice, taking longer than seems strictly necessary.

[Private to GM: 17:54, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Major Healing (12+1 enhanced ritual) (2 FP = 4 hp).]
Emma Wilson
 player, 6 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 07:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 173):

Noticing that the only person injured seems to have been the archer and a Frog priestess, Emma looks for the archer, but it seems hidden by the foliage...

[Private to GM: With several looking for others, is there anyone else?]
Jednesa
 player, 431 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 10:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa pulls the archer out of the tree slowly incase the whip is still attached to one of the sisters, "Sorry."

Then she turns and holds the archer out and looks to Christine, "Alive?  Dead?"


Note, she has one hand wrapped around the archers torso, the other about it's head, and she's holding it firmly, but not crushingly.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:40, Fri 10 Apr 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1867 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 10:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 175):

"Dead if he wants to keep fighting, otherwise I want to know what he was thinking to attack us alone..."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 39 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 21:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Her holiness gets up from the ground, brushing dirt off her previously new-looking leathers.  "I wouldn't mind hearing that, either.  Do you have enemies, Masugatan?  Or was that a 'stupid tree'?"  She frowns and knits her brow.

"Even that first year, when we actually did consider banditry, and I was younger than Holy Sister is now, and she was barely a woman, we knew better than to take on a group this size."
Masugatan
 player, 350 posts
 street thug
Tue 31 Mar 2020
at 02:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“I know of no one who would go to these lengths just to get at me.  At least not when I’m traveling in a powerful group such as this.”

Class dripping out everywhere, he thinks smugly.
Narrator
 GM, 7603 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 18:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 177):

Masugatan recognizes the gear this guy is wearing... he looks to be a leftover from Balar's group.
Masugatan
 player, 351 posts
 street thug
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 22:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan tells them about Balar and informs them that they may be dealing with a splinter group, contrary to what he just said.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 40 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 23:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"So, leftovers from a defeated group of robbers and bandits?  Unless there are many of them, they're barely a threat to us.  If they intended to ambush us, they should have closed the trap as soon as the first arrow was fired."
Jednesa
 player, 433 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 00:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa carefully unwraps her hand from the bandits face, giving it room to speak (and breathe) but not letting go of the bandit's head.

"Why you shoot Mossygotten?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:40, Fri 10 Apr 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 7614 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 16:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 182):

"That bastid killed me matey!"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1868 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 22:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 183):

"They were bandits. Tell me why we should not finish what he started."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 41 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 09:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina looks back toward the city to judge the distance.

"The city guards don't come this far out, do they?  I think we should just break his legs and leave him here under the tree.  Maybe some of his fellow bandits will rob him before he dies.  Or maybe he'll live as a crippled beggar."

Her Holiness considers for a moment.

"No, we can't do that.  It would be kinder to just execute him.  Or we could break all his arrows, take his other weapons, and just leave him here.  Holy Sister, what would they do to a bandit back home?"
Elaina Grattan
 player, 15 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 09:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Holiness, I don't recall them ever capturing one alive.  They always seemed to get shot while resisting arrest.  Sheriff Ward was a really good shot, but lacked patience, I think."
Valerie
 NPC, 8 posts
 Barfly
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 22:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 186):

"Strip his weapons and boots."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 42 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 22:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Her Holiness brightens.  "Yes, that's even better!  He won't be able to keep up with us without boots, but we're still close enough to town that he can most likely make it there."
Masugatan
 player, 352 posts
 street thug
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 05:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“If we ain’t gonna kill him, can we at least tie him up and suspend him upside down from a tree?  By the time he gets out of that, I figure he’ll be too tired to mess with us again.  Although to be honest, I like the idea of breaking his legs better.”
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1869 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 09:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 188):

"Can't say I trust him, but I don't think we can just rob him either. I can justify taking his weapons, but not his boots. Let's just take his weapons and take him back to the town guard. It is not like we have a time limit..."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 16 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 11:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Does Northport not execute bandits, then?  How is that better than breaking his legs or taking his boots?"
Valerie
 NPC, 9 posts
 Barfly
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 16:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 191):

"Northport sells em into indentured servitude, and the guild buys up a lot of those contracts, and work them as heavies when guildmembers go on proficiency runs with padded weapons."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 43 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 21:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The two sisters look nonplussed, then Evelina speaks up.  "Perfect!"
Jednesa
 player, 434 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 00:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Go back to boring town?  Jednesa say just kill him and move on."  She looks longingly down the road away from town.

She gives the bandit a little shake, "Attack Mossygotten first, is okay kill in defense yes?"
Elaina Grattan
 player, 17 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 09:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa, he's no longer a threat to us.  If he'd died when he fell out of the tree, that would have been 'in defense' but if we kill him now, it's just murder.

"If we were days from the nearest town, it might be different -- he'd be likely to try us again, and he might hurt one of us, or even kill one when he does.  He'd still be a threat, of sorts.  But here, we can turn him over to the guards and go our way, they won't kill him because the city profits from selling his indenture.  Indentures aren't permanent, so he isn't even really a slave.

"And if the guards won't take him, we can just bring him back here, take his weapons and his boots, and walk away.  All it'll cost us is an hour or so of extra walking."

Jednesa
 player, 435 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 13:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Grmmph.  Too many word.  Fiiiine, not kill now."

She turns the bandit to face her and looks him in the eye, "Do what God Sisters say or Jednesa kill you."  She grins and licks her lips.

Then she sets him down in front the sisters, "All yours," she mutters and starts turning the wagon around to trudge slowly back to town.




OOC: 09:42, Today: Jednesa rolled 9 using 3d6.  Intimidation 13  (Skill 7 + 3 Monster + 2 Hideous + 1 Penetrating Voice).

MoS +4.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 44 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 08:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina retrieves the handle of her whip and, with a twitch, loosens it from the bandit's leg.

"You heard the lady.  We don't want to just kill you, or break your legs and leave you here to possibly die of thirst -- but we don't want you causing any more trouble while we take you back to turn over to the guards, either.

"Have you heard of 'parole'?  Do you understand what it is?"

Masugatan
 player, 353 posts
 street thug
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 18:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan shrugs and gets ready to move on.  He thinks this is probably a mistake, but he’ll abide by the group’s decision.

Funny how being in the mercenary business could civilize a fellow.
Mcnealy
 player, 6 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 19:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  New driver for McNealy getting ready to take over.  Just finalizing the character.  Very complex build, just need to finish negotiating a potion list with the big boss.
Narrator
 GM, 7645 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 16:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Mcnealy (msg # 199):

Y'all heading back or leaving him bootless and unarmed?

McNealy, send me a pm
Jednesa
 player, 437 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 20:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
Y'all heading back or leaving him bootless and unarmed?

The trio of lovely ladies (Christine, Evelina, and Elaina) have decided to turn the adventure around and go back to Northport to turn the bandit over to the Authority.

To that end Jednesa was outvoted.

McNealy
 player, 7 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 22:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC I have posted what looks to be the final character for the GM to review.  I need his various brews and equipment, but I think the points are done.

[Private to GM: I think a quirk will for him to be addressed as "Alchemist McNealy".  I think he will want the title since he has worked so hard for it with no help.  Mind one more minor change?]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 45 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 23:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Indeed, if Evelina is able to extract the prisoner's parole (against the consequence of being turned back over to Jednesa) not to attempt to escape or harm anyone while we do so, we'll march him back to the gates or wherever within we can find a guard or squad of guards to turn him over to.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1871 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 12 Apr 2020
at 22:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 203):

Indeed, much as Christine would like to get rid of him, she feels morally obliged to return him to town, and the to get moving.

"I am sure we will get our chance to kill a lot, Nessy. Let us do the right thing, else we be no better than those we fight, except we win..."
Guardsman
 NPC, 41 posts
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 13:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 204):
You march him back toward the gates, espying another party taking the south road...
The guardsmen bristle as Jednesa apporoaches, but relax when they see the rest of your group.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 46 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 21:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Valerie, Masugatan, you're from around here, aren't you?  We aren't, and I'm honestly not sure how to go about turning this man over to the guards."
Masugatan
 player, 354 posts
 street thug
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 04:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan takes a momentary break from picking his teeth. “Nothing to it.  Just tell ‘em we brought a fresh delivery of scum, then kick him in their general direction.”
Guardsman
 NPC, 42 posts
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 16:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 207):

"Didn't you lot just come through here?  Is that you Masugatan? "
McNealy
 player, 8 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 16:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  Points are done, Potions are in to the GM for review.  Will work on equipment next.  Probably start posting in character once you finish the delivery of your prize.

One of the toughest characters I have had to build in a while.  Quite complicated.

Jednesa
 player, 439 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 18:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy:
\One of the toughest characters I have had to build in a while.  Quite complicated.

OOC:  Yeah, I've toyed with making an Artificer... Potion Master is probably the best version for dungeoneering as you can always use potions and being able to rejigger a potion "on the fly" is so f-ing useful.  The Gadgeteer artificer just looks to be so very dependent on traps and having time to devise devices to deal with problems... would probably work better as an AA Build* using Powers as gadgets rather than trying to use the Invention and Gadgeteering rules.  Though for a 'less DF' more 'serious bizniz' Heartbreaker Fantasy, pulling the scrounging and 'Inventing, Upgrading, and Repairing' rules from After the End would be damned useful.  I've been waiting for Kromm or PKitty or someone to write up GURPS Gadgeteering forever now...

Are you using the Alchemist from Pyramid 3-82 "Brewmasters"?



* That is various 'one-use' traps built as Alternate Ability Powers that the Mad Trap-builder Artificer can unleash each encounter.

Narrator
 GM, 7665 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 20:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 210):

We are using 3/82.
The best gadgeteering  write up was in Atomic Horror, and could be used with Science! Which I liked because it had a heavy prerequisite chain; research and two hard  sciences.
Ditto weird science, which needs occultism and weirdness magnet


Similar setup I use for weird magic, but it needs occultism, enigmas, hidden lore eldee and weird thaumatology...
McNealy
 player, 9 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 20:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  You pretty much nailed it.

DF 4 Sages book for the Artificer template.
Pyramid DF Collected book for the Dungeon Brewmasters template
Add in that McNealy was already created as a Gnome, which meant an additional shuffling of points.
Alchemical potions are 2 points apiece as a hard technique, which makes them quite expensive.
I decided on Average techniques for things like Alchemists Fire and Liquid Ice, subject to approval.

Every point has to be spent carefully to honor 3 different templates as much as possible while still giving him a credible role and function while delving.  Pretty sure you own Gareth and Jareth too, right?  Probably also builds with some challenge.

Jednesa
 player, 440 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 01:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
The best gadgeteering  write up was in Atomic Horror...

OOC:  I'll take a look.  I haven't delved into that book as it's not my preferred genre (likewise if they hide any Gadgeteering rules in a Steampunk supplement, I'll miss 'em).


McNealy:
Alchemical potions are 2 points apiece as a hard technique, which makes them quite expensive.
I decided on Average techniques for things like Alchemists Fire and Liquid Ice, subject to approval.

The premise in Brewmaster (Pyramid 3-82) is to not bother with Techniques, they've been tossed to the winds, along with all the rules out of Magic.

Indeed, the rules for brewing are altered you don't need Techniques, it takes days not weeks (spending more than 1 day gives bonuses), etc...

And for you, you can even speed it up faster (down to 4 hours for a potion, 30 minutes for a poison), because Quick Gadgeteer. And with Gizmos, you can just "have it on you".

So you're better off raising Alchemy or taking the Formulary Perk out of Pyramid 3-82.


quote:
Every point has to be spent carefully to honor 3 different templates...

3?  Surely just Artificer with the Alchemist lens?  Or are you dabbling in other forbidden arts?

quote:
Pretty sure you own Gareth and Jareth too, right?

Just Jareth of those two (I'm not a fan of Wizards, I'm pretty sure Gareth is run by Christine, who also runs Melchizedek and Goran?).  I run Jareth (originally Sage 60%/Agent 35%/Psi 5%, now more like Sage 50%/Psi-Elder Thing Cultist 40%/Agent 10% - there is a lot of overlap between Psi/Elder Thing Cultist and Sage and Agent since the Psi abilities are mostly information and communication), Jednesa (a real departure from my 'skills heavy builds' and a Barbarian in 'name' and Disads only - she's got some Martial Artist mixed in, 3 skills and a Style!), Stenet (almost purely on template Holy Warrior, someone else built him), Dilandua (Swashbuckler/Martial Artist with some Ninja) and Ülo (my challenge to myself to build a Wizard that wasn't from a 'standard' Wizarding race, who goes off template a bit, and in building her I decided I really like the Troll race writeup).

And then Benny Morales†, a Dungeon Saint who is remarkably on template (for me anyway, actually like Ülo he's pretty "off template" but still does the template's job*) who hasn't had an adventure to join yet.



* Unlike Jednesa who is so off template she can't do a Barbarian's wilderness job, no Outdoorsman or Outdoorsman skills (okay, she has a Survival (Mountains) of 6).

† Yes, a pun name, I finally decided to sneak one in.

McNealy
 player, 10 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 04:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  I have Balir the dwarf as my own build.  Pretty much Dwarf as a class.

Aegis was inherited, and I normally don' like the morally gray as much.  He has been decent to play with all the social disruption.  Not a nice traveling companion.

I have Haveron/Amelia/Omar over in the Al Menir thread, although the GM uses Amelia to push the plot a lot there so we share her.  Again I inherited him.  He has an interesting agenda, and has offered a lot of good meaty role play.

I own Goran too, for the record.  He's a pretty standard country bumpkin priest who looks down his nose at everyone else.  Inherited.

Finally, Nodwin.  He's got a few interesting quirks in his build.  Overall pretty good, and interesting.  Young kid, building a church.  I wish I had half the points for how I want to grow him, but I'm just trying to get caught up on the Junior House.  Inherited.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:55, Sat 18 Apr 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1872 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 11:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 214):

Christine will tell the guards that this bandit tried to attach them as the left, and will hand him over to them.

Then she will attempt to resume her journey.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 47 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 10:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters confirm Christine's story for the guards.

"It's just luck his arrow struck heavy armor; Masugatan could have been killed!"
Valerie
 NPC, 10 posts
 Barfly
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 21:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 216):

"This boufon worked with Balar the Red to waylay travellers. We caught him shooting arrows by ambush."
Guardsman
 NPC, 43 posts
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 21:11
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 217):

"We'll bring him before the magistrate then."

Two guards frogmarch him in through the gate.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 18 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 21:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"That was easier than I thought it would be.  I expected to have to at least testify before a scribe, under a dire oath."  Elaina blinks a couple times.  "What prevents someone doing that with false charges?"
McNealy
 player, 11 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 22:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The gnome speaks up, since he has first hand experience with this sort of thing.  "They have their ways of knowing.  Magical compulsion, history spells, potions.  You name it, they can get it if they want to know badly enough.  It's not a pleasant experience.  Trust me."
Jednesa
 player, 441 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 04:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Yay."

Jednesa turns the cart back around and starts warming up for a racous marching song...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 48 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 09:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters fall back into line.

"It'll be good to be away from the city again."

Valerie
 NPC, 11 posts
 Barfly
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 18:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 220):

"The guard was on alert about people in that outfit, because the Merchant's guild had a bounty placed on them, and some priest of Helios and some bird man made a lot of noise with the guard over the bandit lord's men. Masugatan was with that group, he would know more. That was just the gossip I heard."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 49 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 23:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Ah, I see.  So, if we're going to turn someone over to the guard, it helps very much if they're a known criminal."
Masugatan
 player, 355 posts
 street thug
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 01:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan starts humming a little tune he heard some soldiers singing when he was a kid, swinging his arms in time as he walks.  So help him, he’s learning to enjoy the outdoors, even if all this fresh air is a poor substitute for the reassuring feel of scum-covered city pavement under your boots.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:40, Wed 22 Apr 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 7689 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 18:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 225):

You head back down the path to the place where the ambush occurred.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 50 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 23:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Now, if that gonif had a friend or two and an agreement with them to take a fall to find our weaknesses, the friends might pick this spot to try again -- and not aim at Masugatan's heaviest armor this time."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1873 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 03:46
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 227):

"They could pick any spot. Best to try to be careful and make good time..."

She will continue until evening if there are no further incidents. She will start looking for a good spot the camp about an hour before sunset...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 51 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 08:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I don't see any dry hummocks or big tree forks to sleep in anywhere."

[Private to GM: 04:53, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 11 using 3d6.  Survival (Woodland) (defaulted from Swampland, 10).]
Narrator
 GM, 7694 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 20:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Anyone else want to try a survival roll?
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1874 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 01:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 230):

Not need. That is why I hired folk!

[Private to GM: Rolled 3 under IQ....]
Jednesa
 player, 442 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 01:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"How 'bout here?"

Jednesa points out a vaguely flatish spot... surrounded by inconvenient brush and trees that would screen anything sneaking up on the camp, but not quite thick enough to block light or hide the camp from observers.



OOC:   21:16, Today: Jednesa rolled 9 using 3d6.  Survival (Mountains) 6, looking for a campsite.

Anyone who merely failed the roll can find a campsite with one of Comfort, Concealment, or Lines Of Sight.  If you succeed, you can pick 2.  Critical success picks 3.  Critical failure and you find none of them.  Comfort means we can rest and regain FP.  Concealment gives us a reroll on spotting ambushers and penalyzes them (-1 to Per, +1 to our Camouflage) spotting us.  LOS gives a +1 to Per/Observation rolls to notice ambushers and a -1 to their Stealth.


And yes, Jednesa has a 6 Survival... with a point spent in the skill.  She ain't no Mensa candidate.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:08, Fri 24 Apr 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1876 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 07:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 232):

"We might be better out in the open somewhere..."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 19 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 09:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Holiness, Christine, perhaps there?"

She points out a potential site on top of a small knoll, high enough to be dry, and clear of brush and low foliage.  We'd have to carry water, but we'd be able to see and hear anything around us.

"It's not perfect, but I think it's okay."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1877 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 11:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 234):

"I can create water. Ok, that sounds good."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 52 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 22:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, yes, both of us can either create or purify water as well.  We tend to forget the create option, we've spent a lot of time in lands that have plenty of water, it just needs some help before it's good for humans to drink."
Masugatan
 player, 356 posts
 street thug
Mon 27 Apr 2020
at 08:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“When it’s time, I’ll volunteer for first watch.  I usually stay up late, anyhow.”  He scratches himself inappropriately.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:10, Mon 27 Apr 2020.

Valerie
 NPC, 11 posts
 Barfly
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 15:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 237):

"I can share the watch with Masugatan"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:01, Wed 29 Apr 2020.

McNealy
 player, 12 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 16:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I have some brewing to do.  I will take the middle watch so I can check on it while you sleep."
Jednesa
 player, 443 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 16:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa take middle watch.  Ogres see good in dark.  Ogres, trolls, and goblin folk always take middle watch in Great Army."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 20 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 22:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Why do we need to have people waking through the night?  The Frog God has given me a spell that will instantly wake me if anyone or anything enters its area with hostile intent -- so we only need awake if we're attacked; we can all sleep straight through a quiet night.

"Even someone leaving the spell's circle to answer nature's call, and then returning, will wake us only if they make enough noise or disturbance to wake us naturally.  The spell detects hostile intention.

"It will detect wolves or bears as readily as bandits, too.  Holiness and I have never kept watches in our travels since I received this spell."

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1878 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 01:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 240):


"Interesting. But surely the definition of hostile intention leaves room for concern."

Sounds like watches sorted. Emma and Christine can make food...
Jednesa
 player, 445 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 02:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
Sounds like watches sorted. Emma and Christine can make food...

OOC:  Who is taking third watch?  Or is Christine conceding to Watchdog and not worrying about it?
Masugatan
 player, 358 posts
 street thug
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 05:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Not that I doubt the Frog God, but old habits die hard.  Besides, is it wise to put your god to the test?”
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1879 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 06:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 244):

Christine and Chris can fill in as needed.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 53 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 11:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"One could as easily ask if it's wise to show a lack of faith -- but still, if the rest of you prefer to stand watches, we will do our fair share.  I guess we'll get up very, very early to stand the last watch.

"Holy Sister will still cast her spell -- no sense giving up any sort of protection."

Elaina Grattan
 player, 21 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 12:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"As you say, Holiness.  We should bed down soon after eating, if we're to be up hours before sunrise."

About ten hours before sunrise, Elaina stands at the center of the camp site and casts, then immediately staggers to her bedroll just beside Evelina's.

"That will wake me for anything coming with ten yards of that spot with hostile intent."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1880 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 22:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 247):

"Indeed, extra protection is welcome. Keeping watches is a time honoured tradition for many good reasons, though. A band of archers or a mage that can dispel the magic can easily bypass magical protections, so while helpful, they should not be relied upon."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 22 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 22:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"P'raps we just din't have any...  ...any, um... ennnemeees."  Elaina mumbles sleepily.
Masugatan
 player, 359 posts
 street thug
Fri 1 May 2020
at 07:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“That’s why I always use protection.  Except... oh, nevermind.”
Narrator
 GM, 7726 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 3 May 2020
at 19:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 250):

Chris is not exactly observant as far as noticing enemies, and requires advance instructions to act. Not requiring sleep, he can be available to cover all shifts, but just needs a list of SOP to function.  Masugatan , Valerie,  and (Chris) the first watch... then who?
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1883 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 3 May 2020
at 19:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 251):

Probably Christine and Emma (and Chris)...
Jednesa
 player, 446 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 3 May 2020
at 21:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC:  Mcnealy and Jednesa both volunteered for middle watch.  The Frog Sisters seem to have volunteered for morning watch.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:03, Sun 03 May 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1884 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 3 May 2020
at 23:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 253):

So 4 watches.

Masugatan and co
Christine and co
Jednessa and co
Froggy's

Sound right?
McNealy
 player, 13 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Mon 4 May 2020
at 16:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy spends time at the end of the day hunting for herbs and bringing in extra firewood.  He won't wander too far away, just enough to find what he is looking for.

When they settle in to camp, McNealy empties some alchemist's fire onto the gathered wood.  He will admire the beautiful colors in the dancing flames for a few minutes.  When he lays down to sleep, he will make sure he has a good view of the flames.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1885 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 5 May 2020
at 01:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 255):

Christine will try to stop him using Alchemist's fire, using magic instead.

"Save that. We may need it later..."
McNealy
 player, 14 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Tue 5 May 2020
at 14:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy resists at first, but then when he realizes that she plans to do it with magic he steps back to watch.  "I feel most comfortable when we have a robust fire.  It keeps the predators away, and I enjoy it's warmth."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 54 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 5 May 2020
at 15:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We are not great friends of fire, but we need warmth as much as the next person -- and we can put it out quickly at need."
Narrator
 GM, 7741 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 6 May 2020
at 17:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 258):

The night passes uneventfully!
Masugatan
 player, 360 posts
 street thug
Thu 7 May 2020
at 00:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In the morning, Masugatan gnaws on some jerky, does a few easy thug stretches and otherwise behaves like he’s starring in a commercial for Folger’s coffee.  But with swords.
Jednesa
 player, 447 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 7 May 2020
at 03:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa rolls up her huge fur blanket, ties it onto her harness, and the shrugs into and straps on her harness.  She checks to make sure her handaxe/mace is in place, and then sits down next to the cart to wait on everyone else while chewing a food brick.

Jednesa laments the taste of the iron ration, "Not as good as donkey."


If Masugatan is a morning coffee commercial, Jednesa is a primitive 'soldier gearing up for battle montage', ending with what soldiers do best.  Sitting and waiting.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 55 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 7 May 2020
at 11:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters, who've been up for a couple hours by sunrise, have already rolled up their bedding and packed up their things; once others start stirring they turn to breakfast.  This close to the city, they'll eat rations without bothering to try to gather or hunt.

"Holy Sister, it's good to be out of the city again."  The older sister turns to the other travelers.

"Do we need more water?"
McNealy
 player, 15 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Thu 7 May 2020
at 17:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy for the most part is up with everyone, but off doing his own work.  He has potions brewing on his miniature horse, and needs to add ingredients before their morning travel.  In his experience, the movement of the walking horse is good enough to mix the less volatile potions quite nicely.

Once that is done, he collects his belongings, rolls them up, and has a ration until they are ready to leave.
Valerie
 NPC, 12 posts
 Barfly
Fri 8 May 2020
at 16:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 263):

Before everyone started noshing, Valerie had her pan over the fire, and with water and some seasoning, had made a bit of a stew.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 23 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 8 May 2020
at 20:32
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, nice, Valerie.  Can you do that with a fresh-caught duck or rabbit?"
Masugatan
 player, 361 posts
 street thug
Sat 9 May 2020
at 23:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"What'cha cookin' Val?"  Masugatan's spice-craving nose leads him to the fire.

He laughs to himself as he thinks about how much his life has changed since an adventurer tossed him a silver piece in return for his services.  These days he was a classier breed of scum.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:31, Sat 09 May 2020.

Valerie
 NPC, 13 posts
 Barfly
Mon 11 May 2020
at 17:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 266):

"Eggs, bacon, mutton, beef, fish, fowl. Hare is better that rat, had to cook that often enough."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:12, Mon 11 May 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1886 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 13 May 2020
at 00:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 267):

"Impressive. We should see if you can make created food taste nice next. That will be the real test!"

The canteens still full from last night, we should be good for water. Christine has Chris pack up the tent and bedding and put it on his back as she guards the others doing their morning rituals.

As soon as food is eaten, she is ready to move on.

"I wonder what awaits us today...anyone else have any enemies we should know about?"
Jednesa
 player, 449 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 13 May 2020
at 01:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa begin believe nejvyšší Raniba sold Jednesa and other warriors to Great Army... but not see how that come up now."






[Private to GM: nejvyšší means 'supreme' and I'm using as 'master' in this instance.  Raniba was the Martial Leader who convinced the warriors to join the monster army.]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 56 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 13 May 2020
at 09:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Then perhaps we can make camp tonight with enough daylight remaining for Holy Sister and me to hunt up some small game.  Neither of us is much of a cook."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1887 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 13 May 2020
at 09:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 270):

"I am not keen for anyone to be running off on their own, or even in pairs. The attack on Masugatan indicated that together we are strong, but I do not want to find out how strong we are or are not individually. But if you want to scout ahead a little to hunt game as we travel, then that is fine."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 58 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 13 May 2020
at 22:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"As long as we're following roads or a visible landmark, we can do that.  We're neither of us great navigators, but we can keep track of a road or a mountain top well enough -- and we'd normally set traps for rabbits, squirrels, and the like while we sleep rather than hunting as we travel.  We didn't bother last night because we were still so close to the city."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1888 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 13 May 2020
at 23:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 272):

"That is fine, we can set traps in the evening and then clear them in the morning."
McNealy
 player, 16 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Thu 14 May 2020
at 02:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy makes small talk while he mixes potions over on his diminutive horse.  He throws herbs in here, some liquid in there, and then shakes it up by walking the horse in a circle.

"What kinds of traps do you use?  I generally prefer the live traps, because the meat is fresher that way.  What do you typically favor?"


OOC McNealy is chatty this morning, and he's well versed in traps.  He'll have a lot of questions to ask, and suggestions to make.  We can do this IC or behind the curtain, whichever.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 26 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 14 May 2020
at 09:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We usually use deadfalls -- you can make one from twigs and a rock or log, no wire or string needed.  As long as you set them in the evening and check in the morning, the meat will still be fresh.  We never leave them set longer than that."
Masugatan
 player, 362 posts
 street thug
Thu 14 May 2020
at 17:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan turns to Jednessa.  “Did you say they freakin’ sold you?  Oh man, I’d be out for big time revenge.”
Narrator
 GM, 7767 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 14 May 2020
at 19:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa  knows that the nejvyšší Raniba is still alive, they are far to cunning to have been caught by men, and wealthy enough with the coin they raised as to have hired another army again...


Thank you for worldbuilding!

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:33, Thu 14 May 2020.

McNealy
 player, 17 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Thu 14 May 2020
at 20:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy grins.  They think like he does.  The more efficiently you work, the more you can get done.

"My favorite is to use a deadfall variant, with a little twist.  Being that I have a certain talent for mixtures, some good old-fashioned stickum works way better than a log.  It locks the critters down hard, without all that lifting and moving. And it works when you aren't in the forest.  Maybe we can set something up tonight and see what you think."


OOC A couple things with McNealy, now that the customer is just about finished.  Most of this should be "common knowledge" from when he joined.  Still, it should be fleshed out since he has become a PC, and thus is a full character now.  I welcome GM or player comment, to find what feels appropriate to everyone.  A happy agreement would have been ironed out at the time he decided to come along.

1. He prefers to be addressed by Alchemist McNealy, or Tradesman McNealy. It's a quirk, and seemed fun to me.  Advertising, you know.

2. As a tradesman, I assume he was retained (way back when) as a healer.  He'll provide healing potions for free as needed to fulfill his part of the 'contract'.  We should probably include antidotes as part of that, when appropriate.

3. Specialty items (Alchemical potions, known formulas, or poisons) will be provided at some level of cost.  For people in his party it will be very cheap.  I'm putting this here to try and maintain game balance on behalf of the GM.  Please remember McNealy has to manage materials and inventory, where casters can use fatigue to power their abilities.  He has to think like a businessman if he wants to break even.

4. Item cost can be paid in coin, services, or materials.  Herbs are always useful because he can gadgeteer them, if anyone has Naturalist.  Monster parts, animal venom, and whatever else the group can harvest also counts as payment.  McNealy is a team player, and he'll give you what you need for a couple chickens if necessary.

5.  Since McNealy is very talented with traps, I expect he should have some idea of the various kinds.  Hence, I researched a few kinds of traps.
https://www.outdoorlife.com/ho...best-survival-traps/
Bait Stick Snare
Motion Triggered Snare
Fixed Snare
Peg Snare
Drown Snare
Treadle Snare
Squirrel Pole Snare
Rolling Snare
Deadfall
Figure 4 Snare
Pine Pitch Bird Cup Trap
Paiute Deadfall
Greasy String Deadfall
Toggle Deadfall
McPherson Spring Deadfall

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1889 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 14 May 2020
at 21:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 277):

"Sure, McNealy, you are welcome to set traps as you wish.

Jednessa, after listening, these enemies of yours could be a concern. Tell me more about these...nejvyšší Raniba. What are they, and how did they 'capture' you to sell in the first place? If we meet them, we need to be prepared to deal with them...please tell us what you know of them.
"
Elaina Grattan
 player, 27 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 14 May 2020
at 22:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, like the way pitch or sap can capture an insect?  Even mice are too strong to get trapped that way, never mind rabbits, but if you can make something stickier than pitch, it could be useful."

OOC: Both sisters have Naturalist, as well as Pharmacy (Herbal); Her Holiness also has Poisons.  Both have Esoteric Medicine as well as a number of healing spells.  Between your potions and our spells, we should be well set, even with an ogress as tank.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:18, Thu 14 May 2020.

McNealy
 player, 18 posts
 Gnomic artificer
Thu 14 May 2020
at 22:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Politely, but with a bit of an edge, the Gnome responds "Tradesman McNealy, or Alchemist McNealy.  Please."

He then turns his attention to Elaina, and walks over to her from his horse, carrying a vial of fluid.  He pulls out the stopper and hands it to her for examination.  "I tend to use brewers slang when referring to concoctions.  You probably know it as Glue."

OOC  DF Adventurers, p 115.  This setting has such a thing as a Glue grenade.  And McNealy can make them.
Jednesa
 player, 450 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 15 May 2020
at 04:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Nejvyšší is, ummm.  Errr.  Leader?  No, like 'train' but also 'chief', but not chief chief, like small chief take order from bigger chief, you know?  But mostly show Way.  Nejvyšší Raniba teach warrior Srdce Vzteku, Heart of Rage, Way of Stone Fist, Way of fight like Chlapáku," she makes grappling, strangling, and 'tearing limb from limb' motions with her hands and arms.  "Ebjo, little brother, say join Great Army bad idea, him come anyway.  Say 'Jednesa go, Ebjo go'.  Ebjo say always 'Raniba sell warriors to Great Army and is bad'.  Jednesa not know slavery till Great Army.  But, Great Army was good.  Many fights.  Jednesa smash town wall, push big tower, haul rock throwy thing, punch horsemans.  HAHA, like punch horsemans.  Party many times!  Was not bad life, but always going away from home, Kamenná Hora.  Then Ebjo die.  Jednesa's clan ogres die.  Small ogres die, goblins die, hobs die, others die.  Many defeats.  Great Army, now not 'great', small.  Run away and um... dis-band?  Yes, disband, near city.  Big Sergeant take umm... 'his' ogres to city.  Big Sergeant good.  Find small ogres job at docks, with merchants, guards.  Jednesa too big for city, house break when Jednesa bump it.  Sergeant find Jednesa job with Camilla.  Camilla is good."  She taps the Guild Badge on her harness.

She sighs.  "Ebjo know way home, Jednesa not know where Kamenná Hora, um... where Stone Mountain.  But know it far away, that why Raniba not worry here.  Raniba only worry if Jednesa find home."

After letting all those words out, Jednesa seems a bit deflated.  But she just shrugs, and gets up, looking around to see if everyone has packed their belongs on the wagon, and if so, she hauls it out onto the road and waits to get going.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1890 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 15 May 2020
at 05:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 282):

As Jednessa starts, Christine starts beside her.

"I am sorry about your brother. War is like that, but I am glad you are with use now. Didn't you ever want to meet a nice big Orge and settle down to make little ogres?

Ok, so this Raniba, he is only a little person in the army that got defeated. This stone mountain, I wonder where that is...
"

She looks over her maps to see if there is any location that might be called stone mountain on their route...
Elaina Grattan
 player, 28 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 15 May 2020
at 09:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina examines the vial McNealy -- Tradesman McNealy -- has handed her.  Seeing no obvious way to open it without damage, she just turns it and watches the fluid inside creep, rather than properly flow.

"That certainly looks sticky.  Strong enough to capture a rabbit, you say?"
Jednesa
 player, 451 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 15 May 2020
at 14:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Ho, yes.  Jednesa want babies, someday, not now.  Much more fight.  Also, Jednesa never meet man strong enough beat Jednesa, if not strong enough beat Jednesa, not strong enough protect Jednesa and babies."

She looks wistful, "Ebjo die battle, so was good.  Jednesa always worry about Ebjo, Ebjo small ogre and maybe 'too smart' die Nekonečný Bitva, not go Nikdy Život.  Ebjo die fighting, Ebjo fighting and partying with gods in great longhouse at end of world."

She wipes her eyes with the back of her hand and then shakes the feelings off like a dog shedding water.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1891 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 15 May 2020
at 22:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 285):

Christine comforts her friend as best she can.

"Perhaps we can meet such an Ogre on our journey...time will tell."
Masugatan
 player, 363 posts
 street thug
Sat 16 May 2020
at 23:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“It would take more than a man to beat you,” he tells Jednesa.  “I’m not even sure ten men could do it.”

Then Masugatan discreetly asks Alchemist McNealy what sorts of poisons he can make.  And since he isn’t into suicide, he also asks if he can make antidotes.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:32, Sat 16 May 2020.

Jednesa
 player, 452 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 17 May 2020
at 00:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Haha, yes.  Jednesa strong like raging river!  Sweep away all enemies!  HAH!"
McNealy
 player, 19 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sun 17 May 2020
at 03:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
With a hint of boast in his voice, McNealy tells Elaina "If left for a bit it will darn near immobilize a person.  I think it can handle a rabbit.  One of these days I'll chuck it at a Goblin or something so you can see what it does."

On his way back to the horse with his glue bottle, McNealy claps Jednessa on the back in a supportive, friendly sort of way.  "We're glad to have you Jednessa.  We can be your family now, if you want."

When Masugatan happens by to ask his question, McNealy's voice lowers and he speaks in hushed tones for a moment.

[Private to Masugatan; Narrator: I can make a few of the easier ones, and a few of the utility items too.  Haven't mastered the formula for the slimes yet.  What did you have in mind?  I should have the components for some Monster Drool on Cookie.]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1892 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 17 May 2020
at 03:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 288):

"Indeed, dear. But the Alchemist is right. We can't give you children, but we can be your family. I definitely consider you like my sister.

That glue, if put on the ground, how long before it sets and can be walked on again? Also, what ingredients does it need?

Say, can you use scrolls then?
"
McNealy
 player, 20 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sun 17 May 2020
at 04:11
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy looks at the glue a minute and thinks.  His face wrinkles up a bit, and he looks a little confused.  He adjusts his tented glasses as he looks randomly up in the air in thought.  It takes a couple seconds before he snaps his fingers and looks back at Christine with a bemused look on his face.

"For this batch I used a couple of those orange Shevnian caterpillars and some troll dung as a thickening agent.  The oil I boiled off some giant spider legs keeps it viscous.  That's just the carrier, though.  By taking the spinnerets from the spiders, I was able to find the right proportion to keep the liquid silk fluid, without coagulating.  I can't say the last batch was made the same, though.  Sometimes the combinations just come to me, and when I mix them I can usually make them work.

If you pour it on the ground, I'd say it would slow down the average person at least a step.  It takes a good long while to dry too.

Can't say I have used a scroll in years.  The last time I tried it didn't do anything.  Plus, i have my trusty mixes to help me handle trouble.  I don't really need any more firepower."
He snickers to himself after saying this last part.

[Private to Masugatan; Narrator: Oh, and yes...  He can make all the necessary antidotes.]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1893 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 17 May 2020
at 04:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 291):

"Good to hear. Do you have potions to not get burnt if those fire potions go off at the wrong time though? Because if you plan to use them around things Jednessa is beating up on, it might be nice to give her one of those fire resistance potions...

Also, if we come across any special ingredients, let us know. Time for sleeping now, though, isn't it?
"
Jednesa
 player, 453 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 17 May 2020
at 06:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC:  It's still morning, we haven't managed to leave camp yet.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1894 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 17 May 2020
at 06:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 293):

OOC: Are you sure? I thought we had only just found a spot...we were talking about setting traps overnight.

Speaking of overnight, same as last night: Christine Creates some food and water.
[Private to GM: Rolled as follows for create food, using grasses rolled under on all by 2, 7, 3, 3, 1, 7, 5, 6, 2 cost 1 fp per roll
Create Water: 7 under, 1 gal (cost 1)
]
9 meals and 2 gal or water created, and shared with all, following which she will rest for one hour.
Then she will create food for tomorrows breakfast...flour, etc from grass, and 2 more gal of water with all the containers, before resting again before taking her watch.
[Private to GM: Rolled 9 more times, skill 16, rolled between 11 and 6, except for one roll of 3! Second roll was a 9, skill 16. Create water 4 under.]

9 Meals should provide 1 meal for everyone and 3 for Jednessa. If game is caught, it will be a bonus!

Masugatan and co
Christine and co
Jednessa and co
Froggy's

This message was last edited by the player at 06:51, Sun 17 May 2020.

Jednesa
 player, 454 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 17 May 2020
at 08:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
OOC: Are you sure?

Yes.  Go back to msg  #258 ("The night passes uneventfully!") and wind forward post by post.  It's a pair of conversations started by Valerie cooking breakfast that forked off into "Christine and Jednesa muse about Jednesa's past" and "McNealy and the Frog sisters discuss traps and hunting".  With some criss-crossing by Christine and others.

We haven't finished leaving camp, or, since Val is cooking, even finished breaking it.  ;)
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1895 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 17 May 2020
at 08:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 295):

Ah, Ok. I rolled for creating food for everyone for two meals...did anyone else actually catch any food to add to it, or did we just discuss how they would do it tonight?

Anyway, lets hit the road...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 59 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 17 May 2020
at 10:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC: we didn't even try to catch food last night, too close to town.  We'll try on upcoming nights.
McNealy
 player, 21 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sun 17 May 2020
at 16:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC To review, McNealy got up, and worked on his alchemy lab for a few minutes.  Things need to mix while they travel, and Cookie does a good job of sloshing things around.  Once McNealy had everything prepared to his satisfaction, he had a ration and/or some of the cooked breakfast.  Then he prepared to leave.

As a separate thread throughout all of the activity, he discussed trapping game, glue, and some other discrete subjects.

Narrator
 GM, 7787 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 17 May 2020
at 19:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 298):

You break camp, and pack up, and head back on the road.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 60 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 17 May 2020
at 19:46
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters resume their marching position behind the left wheel of the cart, staying attentive for hazards or opportunities as we travel.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1896 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 17 May 2020
at 21:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 300):

So I assume the first set of rolls to create food was for breakfast, and the second set will be for dinner tonight. Should we fast forward until something happens/it is time to camp tonight? Some routine?
McNealy
 player, 22 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 18 May 2020
at 02:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC Where will McNealy be?  I assume he will probably attach the reins for Cookie to the back of the cart, so he is free to move about some.

He's fine with a fast forward to evening, although he's chummy so he'll be talkative.  Probably in depth about traps and the best ways to trigger them, plus materials, and the finer part of setting them without getting caught by it.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1897 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 18 May 2020
at 02:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 302):

Christine is a loner. While the talk of traps interests her, she can only listen for a while before wanting to wander ahead and leave him chatter with the others...
Emma Wilson
 player, 7 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 18 May 2020
at 02:35
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 303):

Emma, on the other hand, is a different story. Happy to talk the whole way, her staff glistens in the sun, the end spiked to look like the sun, the gems inside glowing brightly as she walks along. At the talk of traps, she mutters a few words and fires a bolt of light from her staff at a rabbit or edible bird seen some distance away.[Private to GM: Rolled 5 under skill to hit, so at any distance and with SM, probably a miss!]

"That, friends, is how you catch a rabbit. Or at least, it would be if I could aim straight! I don't have the patience for traps, but I do admire those that do."

He knees are only visible under her leather skirt when she steps up to something, so on this flat road it is not so often.
McNealy
 player, 23 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 18 May 2020
at 03:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  Just because I don't recall seeing Emma before, can I get a general idea of who are the players and what are the roles?

Jednessa - Fighter, basically the muscle
Alchemist McNealy - Healer / Alchemist (so a little bit of everything)

I know we have at least 3 of the ladies, 2 of which are spell casters, plus Senderic?

This message was last edited by the player at 03:17, Mon 18 May 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1898 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 18 May 2020
at 03:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 305):

Christine: Leader, she is an elemental mage seeking to learn divining. Frigid...
  Emma: recent ally joined, Priestess of Helios
Frog Sisters: Priestesses of a frog god (of some description)
Masugatan: Playboy mercenary swordsman.
   Valerie: Assistant of Masugatan...barmaid?
Jednessa: Heavy handed Ogress
and of course
McNealy: Alchemist

Think that is everyone...
Masugatan
 player, 364 posts
 street thug
Tue 19 May 2020
at 23:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan asks Alchemist McNealy if he could make a poisoned dagger lethal enough to kill something BIG.  Preferably a blade he could have ready well in advance, requiring no last minute preparations.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:06, Tue 19 May 2020.

McNealy
 player, 24 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 20 May 2020
at 14:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy responds discretely to the request.  "Depends on what you're looking for.  I can make a poison that would hurt.  But you wouldn't kill anyone outright with it.  However, we could blind him so he can't defend against attacks, or strip a mage of their ability to cast spells.  Some of my alchemical preparations could make you stronger, or faster, or resistant to magic.  There will never be an alchemical fix for every situation.  But, we can adjust to almost anything with time to react.  There are many ways to get the work done."

[Private to GM: Now someone with whom he could make the top of the line stuff, that person could kill someone with the good stuff.  But he can't give Masagutan the good stuff.  ]
Emma Wilson
 player, 8 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Wed 20 May 2020
at 21:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 308):

As they walk along, Emma mentions that she is not a big fan or poisons, since they are indiscriminate if a mishap occurs. She would prefer something that would make the person exhausted, so they could not cast spells, but could be recovered from relatively quickly, say a matter of hours rather than days...
McNealy
 player, 25 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 20 May 2020
at 22:11
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy will acknowledge what Emma says.  "I prefer not to use heavy poisons myself.  Usually they require application from up close.  I try to avoid the front lines when it becomes necessary to defend ourselves.  Gnomes aren't usually the ones to wear heavy armor and dish out a beating.  We're usually quick and hard to hit, if anything.  I prefer something lighter when I do use it.  And given my skills, alchemical brews are usually more effective."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 61 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 20 May 2020
at 23:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Her Holiness frowns at the discussion of poisons.

"I know something of poisons.  Many of nature's smaller creatures carry venom, but they generally use it to kill their prey, or rarely in self-defense.  Since they generally have no need to kill something much larger than themselves, they seldom have enough venom within them to do so.  Some serpents are exceptions to this, of course, but even the deadliest asp would be hard pressed to slay a great beast.

"No, if you want to slay something truly large, you should look to either dose its food, or cause it to inhale something noxious.  Castor beans in such a creature's meat might work, or hemlock root.  Perhaps Alchemist McNealy knows a way to concentrate the poisons from plants like these, or to reliably administer them?"

Masugatan
 player, 365 posts
 street thug
Thu 21 May 2020
at 21:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“But if you run into something out here, you won’t have time to dose its food.  You’ll be its food, unless you have the right weapon prepared.”
Evelina Grattan
 player, 62 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 21 May 2020
at 22:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The older sister gives Masugatan a little smirk.

"That depends very much on whether you spot the thing first, or it spots you.  If the latter, it's likely to be a bad day regardless, but if the former, you might be able to arrange a special snack..."
Emma Wilson
 player, 9 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 22 May 2020
at 00:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 313):

"Hypothetically speaking, you might be able to arrange for a snack, but the intelligent creatures that pose the biggest danger will be the least likely to take such a snack. That is why I was wondering if there was some kind of contact poison that would drain someone, so a mage or evil cleric would be too exhausted to cast spells, and yet if it were to effect one of us, we would recover soon enough without special healing. Does such a poison exist, either in nature or manufactured by our Alchemist friend? Kind of like a negative paut..."
Jednesa
 player, 455 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 22 May 2020
at 03:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Bah.  Jednesa find best way deal with enemy is rip off head.  No cast spells if no head.  No bite with venom either."
Emma Wilson
 player, 10 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 22 May 2020
at 04:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 315):

"That is true, Jednessa. I have never had that as an option though..."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 29 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 22 May 2020
at 09:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I think in this case, Jednesa may be right, though.  We were talking about something big, like a dragon or these, um, slorn? that they have around Northport, or the great worms I've heard tales of.  Things that would normally be beyond killing with weapons.

"For creatures like that, leaving some bait, like a dead horse or something, with poison in it is a much better idea than just launching into it with half a dozen swords or whips or slings or bows or what have you.  If a thing like that even notices, you're likely to make it angry."

Emma Wilson
 player, 11 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 22 May 2020
at 09:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 317):

Emma looks at her with a questioning glance.

"Jednessa suggested that? I must have missed that bit.

But for really big things like that, one probably needs magic, or an army. I suspect big critters will be much less susceptible to poison as well as physical damage...or maybe mind magic?
"
McNealy
 player, 26 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 22 May 2020
at 14:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"If I hit'em with some Despell then they won't be chucking any spells.  But, it only lasts an hour.  And for people of the cloth, meaning those people connected to the divine, it would not stop them."

OOC That's a nickname.  For the drivers, that would be Magebane from in the book.
Emma Wilson
 player, 12 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 22 May 2020
at 22:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 319):

"That sounds like a good start. Do you have any of them handy? With several priests here, that could be a very useful thing to have. How is it administered?"
McNealy
 player, 27 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 22 May 2020
at 22:42
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy starts rummaging around in the Delver's Webbing on his mini-horse.  "It's lobbed via sling or thrown as a grenade bottle.  They are made of glass, and usually shatter on impact.  I think there should be at least one stashed away here, somewhere..."

OOC  McNealy has an outstanding item to finish buying all his potions and brews for the trip.  He has a "crap ton", so to speak, so he'll be able to produce an example Magebane for you.  Just need to finish up the detail.  Probably Monday at the latest (in theory), as I'm covering the holiday.  Hoping for a nice slow day.
Emma Wilson
 player, 13 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 22 May 2020
at 22:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 321):

"What ingredients are needed to make more?"
Masugatan
 player, 366 posts
 street thug
Sat 23 May 2020
at 22:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Wouldn’t a dragon be too smart to eat a poisoned horse carcass?  I thought they had a really good sense of smell.”
Evelina Grattan
 player, 63 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 23 May 2020
at 22:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Well, I suppose it depends on which stories about dragons you believe.

"We've heard tales of dragons being wiser than men -- but why would such a creature feel the need to prey on men's flocks and herds, or men themselves?  I would think it smart enough to know better.

"There are also tales that would make a dragon a mere beast.  Even if they can scent as well as a tracking hound, if the poison simply smells like food, how would they know not to eat?"

McNealy
 player, 28 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sun 24 May 2020
at 01:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Like I have said before, the ingredients are a bit flexible.  Usually I can find a combination of what is on hand that I can make work.  Plus, I can't give away too much of my trade."
Masugatan
 player, 367 posts
 street thug
Wed 27 May 2020
at 08:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Bored with the conversation, Masugatan tries to pry some gunk out from beneath his thumbnail.
Narrator
 GM, 7818 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 28 May 2020
at 19:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 326):

Now that you have broken camp you can proceed.
Emma Wilson
 player, 14 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 28 May 2020
at 20:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 327):

I thought we were talking while walking? Messages 300 to 303 indicate breaking camp back then...
Narrator
 GM, 7826 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 30 May 2020
at 17:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 328):

Carrying on then through the woods, you see a southward turning of the main road,  which should be your preferred direction.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1899 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 31 May 2020
at 00:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 329):

Christine will lead them on the southern branch, according to her map.
Jednesa
 player, 457 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 31 May 2020
at 03:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As they head into the shade of the woods Jednesa belts out a song (the first of many), but this one isn't a marching song, it's got a more 'folksy' step-dancing beat.  You can still half march, have dance to it, but it doesn't set a hard pace at all... (and yes, she's incredibly loud and clearly an ogre singing and enjoying herself)


"Vzduchem proudil zvuk trubek
A postavím nohy na poklepání!
Ieva matka měla oči na její dceru, ale
Ieva se jí podařilo oklamat, víte.
Protože kdo bude poslouchat matku říká ne
Když jsme všichni zaneprázdněni tancem sem a tam!

Ieva se usmívala, dýmky zpívaly
Když se lidé shlukli kolem, přáli jí štěstí.
Všichni byli horkí, ale zdálo se, že je to jedno
Silný mladý muž, skvělý losů.
Protože komu bude vadit kapka potu
Když jsou všichni zaneprázdněni tancem sem a tam!

Ieva matka se zavřela pryč
Ve své tiché místnosti zpívala modlitbu.
Tím se náš hrdina nechal pobavit
V sousedním domě, když jsou světla slabá.
Protože nezáleží na tom, co říkají staří lidé
Když jste všichni zaneprázdněni tancem sem a tam!

Když se hudba zastavila, začala skutečná zábava
A tehdy tančili kolem.
Když ji vzal domů, když skončil tanec
Její matka zlostně čekala, že ji našli.
Ale řekl jsem jí, Ieva, neplakej
A brzy budeme tančit sem a tam!

Řekl jsem její matce, aby ten hluk zastavil
Nebo nebudu odpovídat za to, co dělám.
Vraťte se tiše a zůstaňte ve svém pokoji
Nebudete zraněn, když tančím s vaší dcerou.
Protože tento silný muž je divoký druh chlapa
Když je celý zaneprázdněn tancem sem a tam!

Jedna věc, kterou vám říkám, je, že mě nebudete chytit,
Ne, nenajdete mě lehký úlovek.
Cestujte na východ a cestujte na západ, ale
Ieva a já si uděláme zápas.
Protože tento mladý muž není plachý
Když je celý zaneprázdněný tancem sem a tam"




OOC:  22:21, Today: Jednesa rolled 8 using 3d6.  Singing 13, going for a pleasant folk song beat.

[Private to GM: Ievan Polkka... but in Czech.

The sound of a pipes drifted through the air
And set my feet on fire!
Ieva's mother had her eye on her daughter but
Ieva she managed to fool her, you know.
Because who's going to listen to mother saying no
When we're all busy dancing to and fro!

Ieva was smiling, the pipes were singing
As people crowded round to wish her luck.
Everyone was hot but it didn't seem to bother
The powerful young man, the dashing buck.
Because who's going to mind a drop of sweat
When they're all busy dancing to and fro!

Ieva's mother she shut herself away
In her own quiet room to sing a prayer.
Leaving our hero to have a spot of fun
In a neighbor's house when the lights are dim.
Because what does it matter what the old folks say
When you're all busy dancing to and fro!

When the music stopped then the real fun began
And that's when the two danced around.
When he took her home, when the dancing was over
Her mother angrily waiting they found.
But I said to her, Ieva, don't you weep
And we'll soon be dancing to and fro!

I said to her mother now stop that noise
Or I won't be responsible for what I do.
If you go quietly and stay in your room
You won't get hurt while your daughter I woo.
Because this strong man is a wild sort of guy
When he's all busy dancing to and fro!

One thing I tell you is you won't trap me,
No, you won't find me an easy catch.
Travel to the east and travel to the west but
Ieva and I are going to make a match.
Because this young man ain't the bashful sort
When he's all busy dancing to and fro
]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 64 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 31 May 2020
at 23:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Although the sisters can't make out a word of Jenesa's song, by the second stanza they pick up on the mood and hum along (completely failing to stay in tune), keeping the beat (poorly) by slapping their thighs and stamping their feet.

When the song ends, Evelina speaks.  "That would have been even better with a concertina or mandolin accompanying."

[Private to GM: 19:18, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 16 using 3d6.  Singing (default 7) to hum along with Jednesa.]
Emma Wilson
 player, 15 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 07:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 332):

Emma too joins in the singing, though she is not particularly musical either. A bit nervous at the start, the poor musicial talents of the group are almost calming for her.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1901 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 07:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 333):

Christine, as always, stays quiet, keeping her eyes peeled for trouble as they travel. As the day get later and the shadows longer, she begins looking for a spot to camp. Well, fresh water maybe.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 65 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 08:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
When Christine starts looking for a camping spot, the sisters do so as well.

[Private to GM: 04:56, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 12 using 3d6.  Survival (Woodland) (defaulted from Swampland, 10).
04:57, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 14 using 3d6.  Survival (Woodland) (defaulted from Swampland, 10).
]
Jednesa
 player, 458 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 14:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa is very happy to have 'backup' singers, and tries to learn any traveling songs they know (but this will take time... she's a slow learner).

Once Christine signals the need to find camp, Jednesa once again proves that's she's clearly not cut out for this outdoor stuff by pointing out the worst campsites ever.



OOC:  Hey, it was worth a roll.

10:44, Today: Jednesa rolled 9 using 3d6.  Survival (Default) 3.

McNealy
 player, 29 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 17:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy hums along with the group, but doesn't really participate in the singing.  Since they are not talking during this travel period, he takes some time to look over the potions he has mixing on Cookie, to make sure everything looks the way it should.

When they reach the campsite, he takes some time to add components to his mixtures, and generally tend to that work.  He combines this with taking Cookie out to graze, after the long day's walk.  That way he can do his work while she is mostly in one place.
McNealy
 player, 30 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 17:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  I should add...  The required details for McNealy are still on the radar.  We have a co-worker out a couple weeks with Covid, and another one that lost his wife yesterday.  He has mostly been out the past couple weeks too.  I have been pretty much swamped between that and other important details (example - HOA manages a lake, and I am on the board, that takes a lot of side work).  Hoping it will get done this week.
Masugatan
 player, 369 posts
 street thug
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 23:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Although he doesn’t mind the singing, Masugatan keeps a wary eye out for foes who could be trying to sneak up on them.  He fears that all this ogreish merrymaking will attract unwanted attention.

Ooc: be well.
Narrator
 GM, 7841 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 14:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 339):

Per hearing (rolls all, at -2 due to singing)
McNealy
 player, 31 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 20:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As they are walking, McNealy's head perks up during a brief lull in the song.  He looks very tense and perhaps more worried that might be appropriate.  After a second he pops his staff-sling up in the air, silently, to get everyone's attention.  Then he makes the "keep singing" gesture with his other hand, before pointing at his hear.

Quietly he pulls a projectile out, and puts it in his staff-sling.

[Private to GM: I don't know the terrain.  He would frequently (or perhaps consistently) go for a vial of Alchemist Fire.  Since I don't know what's around, I thought to go for a bullet first.  My post was edited to be more generic for now.  What's his history look like?

Also, I mean for the sling bullets to be poisoned with monster drool.  It's on the list to document that when I finally get the last few items done for the character.

Oh, he made the perception roll by 3.  Had an adjusted 11 and rolled an 8.
]

This message was last edited by the player at 20:08, Fri 05 June 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1905 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 21:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 341):

Christine is deafened by the raucous, despite trying to stay vigilant!

[Private to GM: Rolled 2 over perception...]
Emma Wilson
 player, 16 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 21:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 342):

"Wait, I thought I heard something...shhh"

[Private to GM: Rolled 2 under perception, so exactly what was needed with penalty...]
Jednesa
 player, 460 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 21:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa remains blissfully unaware that anything is going on.  She keeps belting out whatever tune she was singing and keeps right on marching forward pulling the wagon behind her.




OOC: 17:25, Today: Jednesa rolled 12 using 3d6.  Per 5 (Per 7 - 2 singing).
Emma Wilson
 player, 17 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 21:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 343):

Emma will tap Jednessa and again ask for quiet...indicating she is listening for something.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 31 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 5 Jun 2020
at 22:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The younger sister looks off the road at about the same time Alchemist McNeely raises his staff sling.  Her right hand goes to her belt, hesitating between her sling and whip, as her left reaches out to grab her still-oblivious sister's wrist.


[Private to GM: 18:48, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 14 using 3d6.  Perception (14) (-2 for Jednesa's singing).
18:49, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Perception (13 -2 for Jednesa's singing).
]
Masugatan
 player, 371 posts
 street thug
Sun 7 Jun 2020
at 05:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
01:13, Today: Masugatan rolled 16 using 3d6.  Per roll (unadjusted).
Narrator
 GM, 7855 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 9 Jun 2020
at 17:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 347):

The song Jednesa sings sounds richer and fuller, as a tenor and a baritone joun in the song...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 66 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 9 Jun 2020
at 22:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As Holy Sister grabs her wrist and points, Evelina looks for the source of the voices.
McNealy
 player, 32 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 00:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy has a vial of something in his staff-sling, and is looking intently at the area where the singing voices seem to be coming from.

[Private to GM: We'll go with the Alchemist's Fire.]
Emma Wilson
 player, 18 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 02:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 350):

"It sounds like some other folk are joining the singing..."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1906 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 02:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 351):

Christine stops and looks intently at the area...
Masugatan
 player, 372 posts
 street thug
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 13:32
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan cracks his knuckles, getting ready for a fight.
Jednesa
 player, 461 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 15:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa keeps singing and plodding along another few seconds, before noticing everyone else has stopped.


OOC:  MoF of -7 on that Per roll.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 67 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 10 Jun 2020
at 22:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters stand, looking into the woods off the road and waiting to see who they've met.  Each has her hand on her whip, but hasn't loosened it yet.
Emma Wilson
 player, 19 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 11 Jun 2020
at 07:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 355):

Emma mutters a few words, and her staff begins to glow a little brighter.

[Private to GM: Sunbolt, cast through staff for effect. Holding spell, 1d-1, Acc:2, 3 damage (prerolled)]
orc soldier
 NPC, 7 posts
 lightly armored orc
Thu 11 Jun 2020
at 23:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 356):

Three orcs approach, but stop singing as Jednesa stops. They look warily at you.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1907 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 12 Jun 2020
at 04:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to orc soldier (msg # 357):

"Greetings travellers. What brings you to these parts? Any news of the road ahead, or are you not travelling the road?"

[Private to GM: Rolled 11 for reaction...unmodified. Not sure that her disads would be noticeable just yet...]
orc soldier
 NPC, 8 posts
 lightly armored orc
Fri 12 Jun 2020
at 13:35
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 358):
The orcs eyes narrow at you,and two exchange words in their language

[Private to Jednesa: "I don't like the looks of this. What she said?" "No idea what say she"]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1908 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 12 Jun 2020
at 21:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to orc soldier (msg # 359):

"Really? You just want to glare at us? Keep on going then..."

She creates a fireball, just to underscore the point.

[Private to GM: Fireball, cast, 7 under skill.]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 68 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 12 Jun 2020
at 23:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Wait, Christine!  They were singing along with Jednesa; they may simply be suspicious of us.  Perhaps they think she's our slave or prisoner?"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1909 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 12 Jun 2020
at 23:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 361):

"Perhaps. I will wait until I hear it from them."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 69 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 12 Jun 2020
at 23:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Can you understand them?  Is that Shevnian?"
Jednesa
 player, 462 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 13 Jun 2020
at 00:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa sets the cart's tongue down and turns towards the orcs speaking slowly, "Zeptala se, odkud jste a co je na cestě vpřed?" As she finishes she points down the road.

[Private to GM: She asked where you were from and what was on the way forward?]
McNealy
 player, 33 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sat 13 Jun 2020
at 15:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Alchemist McNealy aims at the Orcs, but does not loft his payload.  He stands there, waiting to see the outcome of the interaction.

[Private to GM: Not exactly sure how the rules work for flinging potions.  The book indicates they are a -5 to hit, I think?  Seems mighty inaccurate or even counterproductive to loft potion bottles this way.  Might have been a critical design flaw in the character...  I wonder if there is a difference between the standard vials and "grenade bottles".  Any insight?]
orc soldier
 NPC, 9 posts
 lightly armored orc
Tue 16 Jun 2020
at 12:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 364):

The orc, pointing at the fireball with his chin, says something in a tongue that sounds like the language Jednesa is speaking.
[Private to Jednesa:I'll tell you if witch puts away fire]

On my phone, can't paste in the translation at ty his time.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 32 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 16 Jun 2020
at 22:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters hold their position, hands on their whips, waiting for something to change.
Jednesa
 player, 463 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 17 Jun 2020
at 00:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa turns around and sees all the hostility, "Humph."

She looks directly at Christine, "Orc happy talk.  Put away weapon, like cilivize... cizil... like talk cityfolk."
McNealy
 player, 34 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 17 Jun 2020
at 18:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Quietly, from his position towards the back of the group, McNealy lowers his staff-sling and pulls out the vial.  It gets placed back in his potion belt, where he took it from.  He stays on guard, however, as orcs typically cannot be trusted.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1911 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 17 Jun 2020
at 22:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 367):

Christine will drop her fireball.

"Ok, nice. Who are they?"
Jednesa
 player, 464 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 04:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa smiles and turns back to the orcs.  "Dobře, je to klidné. Odkud jsi, a co je před námi?"



OOC:  Just to speed it up we can forgo with the back and forthing...

Jednesa in Ogrish:  "Okay, it's calm. Where are you from, and what is in front of us?"

Masugatan
 player, 373 posts
 street thug
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 08:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan stands ready, but does nothing for now.  No need to get jumpy...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 70 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 09:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Remember how Papa used to tell us stories about his Papa going to war against the orcs?

"I like them better when they aren't going to eat us."

orc soldier
 NPC, 10 posts
 lightly armored orc
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 22:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 373):

Through Jednesa,  the orcs are able to communicate that they are Bartak, Hinson, and Urdash, mercenaries  without current commissions, heading from Shevnia where they were offered low paying jobs in exchange for land in twenty years, but they are tired of Shevnia and the hate fir orcs. They hear there is good work hunting big things in Veroigne.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 71 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 22:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Big things?  Veroigne is more or less on our way, is it not, Christine?  Could that be the dragon we've heard of?"
Jednesa
 player, 465 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 22:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
orc soldier:
... hate fir orcs.

OOC:  Fir orcs?
[EDIT]
"...for orcs."  Lack of sleep is crushing my capacity to reason.
[/EDIT]

This message was last edited by the player at 10:17, Fri 19 June 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1912 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 18 Jun 2020
at 23:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 375):

"Seems to be. If they are mercenaries, do you think we can trust them though?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 72 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 19 Jun 2020
at 09:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"If there are just the three of them, probably best we keep them where we can see them."
orc soldier
 NPC, 11 posts
 lightly armored orc
Fri 19 Jun 2020
at 17:46
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 378):

The orcs seem to recognize the word'dragon', and two shake their heads vigorously   and they collectively name an assortment of animals; bears, wolves, foxes, rabbits...apparently one of those can feed a large family for two days.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:47, Fri 19 June 2020.

McNealy
 player, 35 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 19 Jun 2020
at 19:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy watches the interplay between the two, and then steps a bit towards the front.  Pointing at himself, he states "Alchemist McNealy".  Then he points at them in turn and says "Bartak, Hinson, and Urdash".  Then he smiles and waves.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 33 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 19 Jun 2020
at 22:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina shakes her head in startlement, then holds out her hands, a foot or so apart.  "Rabbit?"  The then holds one flat, palm down at breastbone height.  "Bear!"

She repeats the size gesture.  "Rabbit."  Then raises a single finger, and points to her mouth with the other hand.  "One meal."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1913 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 20 Jun 2020
at 02:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 380):

"Large animals? Ok. So should we be on our way, or are they asking to travel with us?"
orc soldier
 NPC, 12 posts
 lightly armored orc
Mon 22 Jun 2020
at 17:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 382):
The orc shakes his head,  and holds his hand at shoulder height
"Zajec...rabbid"

Then stands on tiptoes and raises arm at full length over its head
"Medved...bahr"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 73 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 22 Jun 2020
at 21:46
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Both sisters goggle.  Evelina then squints and frowns at the orcs.

"You're making this up!  Rabbits can't grow that big!  Imagine the size of their burrows!  And the sizes of the wolves and wildcats that prey on them!  And without those, we'd be buried in rabbits as big as a bull!"

OOC: before modern breeding, most bulls ran in the 250-400 lbs range.
McNealy
 player, 36 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 22 Jun 2020
at 22:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy watches this interplay with some interest.  Either they were missing some context, or something very unusual had happened.  It was very likely there was a communication issue.  He had never seen or heard of animals this large before.  Nor did he know of any magic that could cause this to happen.  Perhaps their very large and strong friend was losing something in translation.
Jednesa
 player, 466 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 22 Jun 2020
at 23:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednessa bet a wizard did it."
Masugatan
 player, 374 posts
 street thug
Tue 23 Jun 2020
at 18:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“This is all very interesting, but are we really looking to join a safari?”  Big money outweighs big animals on Masugatan’s table of values.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 74 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 23 Jun 2020
at 22:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We're not!  Have you forgotten?  Christine has set herself a quest, and recruited us to help her!"

She looks side-eye at the orcs.  "I'm still not sure they aren't pulling our legs about those rabbits, though."
Jednesa
 player, 467 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 23 Jun 2020
at 23:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa want to fight giant rabbit.  Pull leg off rabbit, cook and eat leg.  Wait... no... FIGHT GIANT BEAR!"
McNealy
 player, 37 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 20:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy smiles despite himself.  He may not be overly fond of the more brutish types, but watching Jednesa react with the enthusiasm of a child was cute in it's own way.  "I think our new friends have captured her enthusiasm."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:14, Wed 24 June 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1914 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 23:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 390):

"Indeed. Large creatures were foretold along the way. These fine orcs have been kind enough to warn us. Please thank them, Jednessa, then we will be on our way."
Jednesa
 player, 468 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 06:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa claps the orcs on the shoulder and wishes them luck in their hunting.
orc soldier
 NPC, 13 posts
 lightly armored orc
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 19:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 392):

"Vso srečo!" they call as they depart, and resume singing Jednesa 's song.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 34 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 21:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina waves after the orcs as the two parties separate.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1915 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 10:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 394):

As the orcs continue on, so does Christine, confidant they are on the right path. She keeps a sharp eye open for trouble...
Masugatan
 player, 375 posts
 street thug
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 15:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Parting is such sweet sorrow.”  He scratches himself a few times.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:08, Fri 26 June 2020.

McNealy
 player, 38 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 15:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy looks at the uncouth man, and comments absently "I can probably find an ointment for whatever rash ails you."  Then he's back to checking on his current potion mixes as they move along.  The beaker on the horse's left rump needs a dash of wolfsbane...

This message was last edited by the player at 15:30, Fri 26 June 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 7906 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 20:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The rest of the day passes without incident. Time to set up a camp.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 75 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 22:32
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina finds a campsite close to water, with soft meadow ground free of roots,but not much of a view.

[Private to GM: 18:30, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 5 using 3d6.  Survival (Woodland) (default, 10).]
Elaina Grattan
 player, 35 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 22:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina finds nothing as good as Evelina's site -- water, yes, but it'd be in the bedrolls as well as the pot and skins...

[Private to GM: 18:32, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 13 using 3d6.  Survival (Woodland) (default, 10).]
Emma Wilson
 player, 20 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 02:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 400):

Emma can find no improvement.

She does create a couple of meals of Essential For, however, out of grasses.

[Private to GM: Rolled 6, 4 under]

This message was last edited by the player at 02:23, Sat 27 June 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1916 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 02:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 401):

Christine creates another 4 meals from nearby plants and offers them around.

[Private to GM: Rolled 2, 2, 4 and 10 under.]
Valerie
 NPC, 16 posts
 Barfly
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 18:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 402):

"How did you do that?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 76 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 21:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"It's a different kind of magic from what you did at breakfast.  You turned food into a meal; Emma and Christine turned almost-food into food."
Jednesa
 player, 469 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 23:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa happily eats two meals of tasteless non-food.  She's not picky.
Emma Wilson
 player, 21 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 23:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 405):

"Christine manipulates magic to do that, but I just ask my God. That is why my food is better and does not spoil."
McNealy
 player, 39 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sun 28 Jun 2020
at 22:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
While the others work on dinner, McNealy works on the potions his horse is carrying.  Then, with the reins tied down, he approaches the rest of the group.

"I'd like to test out your theory.  Let's canvass the area for some good herbs.  I could use some, and while out and about I'll set a few traps to see if we can catch some game.  I'll even try out some glue, to see if it does a better job than a deadfall."

OOC  Search for herbs in the surrounding area, as long as enough are willing to help to provide safety.  Also, while out looking, set a deadfall trap and a glue trap - I assume he can figure something out to appropriately make sure the vial breaks, and the glue is properly applied.
Emma Wilson
 player, 22 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 05:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 406):

Emma goes to assist McNealy, helping if she can.



[Private to GM: Rolled 2 over naturalist, if that helps...]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1917 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 05:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 408):

Christine stays and sets up camp...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 77 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 09:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We'll come with you, Alchemist McNealy.  We can compare technique, though we'll have to adapt ours a little for the dry conditions; we learned to do this in swamps and lake shores.

"We can help you look for herbs, as well -- both of us are competent at identifying herbs and natural medicines."

Jednesa
 player, 470 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 11:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa also remains at camp to help setup.
Narrator
 GM, 7919 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 14:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 411):

Herb lore,  traps and naturalist rolls
Masugatan
 player, 376 posts
 street thug
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 16:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan also remains at camp, not feeling particularly motivated to help Mr. Alchemy harvest herbs for free.  Besides, he’s looking for a second helping of ‘chicken.’
Evelina Grattan
 player, 78 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 22:42
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters choose the locations for their traps carefully, looking for animal runs and burrows.  This is so different from the swamps and lake shores where they learned these skills, but they'll do what they can.

[Private to GM: 18:39, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 9 using 3d6.  Traps (default 9).
18:40, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Traps (default 8).
18:40, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Naturalist (13) .
18:41, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 11 using 3d6.  Naturalist (13).
Herb Lore has no default and neither sister has the skill.
]
Narrator
 GM, 7922 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 17:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 414):

The traps are set, and only Evalna is able to recognize any usefl herbs for Mcnealy.
Masugatan
 player, 377 posts
 street thug
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 21:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Are there any leftovers from dinner?  If so, Masugatan will try to ‘accidentally’ sneak them his stomach.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1918 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 03:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 416):

No leftovers from dinner, just one meal each, though there is still plenty of grass...there may be berries around.
Masugatan
 player, 378 posts
 street thug
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 15:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Do I have any way of knowing if the berries are safe to eat?
Emma Wilson
 player, 23 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 20:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 418):

Ask someone?
McNealy
 player, 40 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 22:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy has no problems setting up some traps.  He handles it quite skillfully, with deft hands and obvious practice.

He's less successful with finding herbs.

[Private to GM: He does not have Herb Lore, but Poisons works for nasty stuff.  I substituted it, and it should double as identifying those berries as poisonous or not...had he not failed.
16:18, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 11 using 3d6.  Traps 17.
16:18, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 16 using 3d6.  Poisons 15.  <--- normal fail
16:17, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 9 using 3d6.  Naturalist 12.
]
Masugatan
 player, 379 posts
 street thug
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 14:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Since he’s getting bored, Masugatan finally offers to help out with the traps.  He always makes himself useful as a last resort.
Narrator
 GM, 7931 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 4 Jul 2020
at 17:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 420):

While uncertain as to the toxicity of the berries, they are known to be useful in relieving constipation,  perhaps a little too useful.


Meanwhile the traps are set to catch breakfast.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1920 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 4 Jul 2020
at 22:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 422):

finished and back, I assume we set up watches. Christine offers to take last watch.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 36 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sun 5 Jul 2020
at 00:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As previous night, Elaina will cast Watchdog with a 10 yard radius immediately before retiring.

"I'll take any watch other than first."  Her voice is faint with exhaustion as she crawls into her bedroll.
Jednesa
 player, 471 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 5 Jul 2020
at 01:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa again agrees to take the middle shift as she can see as well at night as during the day...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 79 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 5 Jul 2020
at 01:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I'd like the next to last watch, and Holy Sister should have the last.  She needs her sleep."

Before crawling into her own bedroll, beside Elaina's, Evelina casts Major Healing on herself to complete healing from her fall from the tree.

[Private to GM: 21:03, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 9 using 3d6.  Major Healing (12+1 enhanced ritual) (2 FP = 4 hp).]
Masugatan
 player, 380 posts
 street thug
Sun 5 Jul 2020
at 20:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan volunteers to take first watch, since he’s not sleepy, anyway.
Emma Wilson
 player, 24 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 6 Jul 2020
at 20:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 427):

Emma takes the watch with Jednessa, and Chris assists on all watches. I assume Masugatans friend assists him with his watch?. That is five 2 hour watches, right, so everyone gets 8 hrs sleep, plus the half hour rest for dinner. We should all re rested for the next day?
Narrator
 GM, 7943 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 19:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 428):

This night passes uneventfully.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1922 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 20:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 429):

The next morning, after breakfast, Christine will lead them onwards...
Elaina Grattan
 player, 37 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 23:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Don't you wish we'd had companions like these when we first wandered together, Holiness?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 80 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 23:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We'd certainly have had less need to hide every time we saw someone on the road."
McNealy
 player, 41 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 23:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy checks his brews on Cookie, and then heads out to check his traps.  He's quite confident that he caught some good game, and curious how the Glue pot worked.
Jednesa
 player, 472 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 03:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa begins the day's march with a pounding song that sounds both angry and prideful...

"Těla vyplňují pole, která vidím,
Hladoví hrdinové zemřít.
Nikdo teď nehraje vojáka
Nikdo předstírat.
Běh slepý skrz zabíjející pole,
Chován k zabít je všechny.
Oběť toho, co bylo řečeno, by mělo být.
Služebník, dokud nespadnu,
Vojenská hračka, z hlíny,
Nyní prázdná skořápka.
Vychovávané divoce, Jedináček
Ale my jim sloužíme dobře.
Chován k zabití, nikoliv péče
Dělejte, jak říkají.
Dokončeno zde, pozdraví Smrt,
Jsme tvoji, abychom odnesli.

Zpět do přední!
Když řeknou, uděláme to, co řeknou!
Zpět do přední!
Zemřeme, když řeknou, že musíme zemřít!
Zpět do přední!
Zbabělec!
Sluha!
Slepý!

Řev krve a války,
Teď na mě nemá vliv.
Znějící srdce, které bije
Zvykněte si na to nějak.
Silnější nyní, trofeje, které nosím,
Trend hledající slávu.
Těla vyplňují pole, která vidím,
Masakr nikdy nekončí.
Vojenská hračka, z hlíny,
Nyní prázdná skořápka,
Vychovávané divoce, Jedináček
Ale my jim sloužíme dobře!
Chován k zabití, nikoliv péče.
Dělejte, jak říkají.
Dokončeno zde, pozdraví Smrt,
Jsme tvoji, abychom odnesli.

Zpět do přední!
Když řeknou, uděláme to, co řeknou!
Zpět do přední!
Zemřeme, když řeknou, že musíme zemřít!
Zpět do přední!
Zbabělec!
Sluha!
Slepý!

Proč umírám?
Zabít! Necítit strach!
Prát se! Žít pro boj!
Smrt! Smrt je tady!
Proč umírám?
Zabít! Necítit strach!
Prát se! Žít pro boj!
Smrt! Smrt je tady!
Narodila jsem se, abych zemřela!

Život se plánoval před mým narozením,
Nic jsem nemohl říct,
Já ne šanci vidět já sám.
Tvarované den co den,
Při pohledu zpět si uvědomuji,
Nic nemám drahá.
Umřu se svým jediným přítelem,
Držím oštěp sám.
Vojenská hračka, z hlíny,
Nyní prázdná skořápka,
Vychovávané divoce, Jedináček
Ale my jim sloužíme dobře!
Chován k zabití, nikoliv péče.
Dělejte, jak říkají.
Dokončeno zde, pozdraví Smrt,
Jsme tvoji, abychom odnesli.

Zpět do přední!
Když řeknou, uděláme to, co řeknou!
Zpět do přední!
Zemřeme, když řeknou, že musíme zemřít!
Zpět do přední!
Zbabělec!
Sluha!
Slepý!

Zpět do přední!
Zpět do přední!
Zpět do přední!
Zpět do přední!
Zpět do přední!"




OOC:  Someday, someone civilized will know what she's singing and want to stage an intervention... :P

[Private to GM: We can thank Metalica for Disposable Heroes...

Bodies fill the fields I see,
Hungry heroes die.
No one is playing a soldier now
No one to pretend.
Running blind through a killing field,
Bred to kill them all.
The victim of what has been said should be.
Servant until I fall,
Military toy, made of clay,
Now an empty shell.
Raised wild, Only child
But we serve them well.
Bred to kill, not care
Do as they say.
Finished here, greets Death,
We are yours to take away.

Back to the front!
When they say, we will do what they say!
Back to the front!
We will die when they say we must die!
Back to the front!
Coward!
Servant!
Blind!

The roar of blood and war,
It doesn't affect me now.
A sounding heart that beats
Get used to it somehow.
Stronger now, the trophies I wear,
A trend that seeks glory.
Bodies fill the fields I see,
The massacre never ends.
Military toy, made of clay,
Now an empty shell,
Raised wild, Only child
But we serve them well!
Bred to kill, not care.
Do as they say.
Finished here, greets Death,
We are yours to take away.

Back to the front!
When they say, we will do what they say!
Back to the front!
We will die when they say we must die!
Back to the front!
Coward!
Servant!
Blind!

Why am I dying?
Kill! Don't feel scared!
Fight! Live to fight!
Death! Death is here!
Why am I dying?
Kill! Don't feel scared!
Fight! Live to fight!
Death! Death is here!
I was born to die!

Life was planned before I was born,
I couldn't say anything
I don't have a chance to see myself.
Shaped day after day,
Looking back, I realize
I have nothing dear.
I'm going to die with my only friend,
I hold the spear alone.
Military toy, made of clay,
Now an empty shell,
Raised wild, Only child
But we serve them well!
Bred to kill, not care.
Do as they say.
Finished here, greets Death,
We are yours to take away.

Back to the front!
When they say, we will do what they say!
Back to the front!
We will die when they say we must die!
Back to the front!
Coward!
Servant!
Blind!

Back to the front!
Back to the front!
Back to the front!
Back to the front!
Back to the front!


Note, this isn't the first time Czech words similar to her name have come up... Jedináček means "Only Child", while "jeden" means "one" ("jed ne" means "eat not/poison", so there's only so far we can draw this out...)
]

This message was last edited by the player at 03:05, Wed 08 July 2020.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 81 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 09:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters accompany McNealy to check and clear the traps before setting out for the morning.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1923 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 20:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 435):

Christine just enjoys the rythme!
Masugatan
 player, 381 posts
 street thug
Thu 9 Jul 2020
at 23:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Realizing he might be making a mistake, Masugatan asks Jednessa what her song means, after telling her how much he likes its hearty melody.
Jednesa
 player, 473 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 10 Jul 2020
at 02:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Great Army marching and working song.  About being soldier in Great Army."
Valerie
 NPC, 17 posts
 Barfly
Fri 10 Jul 2020
at 19:46
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 438):

""Cool! Good thumping beat! Zepet do Prednee"
Emma Wilson
 player, 25 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 10 Jul 2020
at 21:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 439):

Emma just enjoys the rhythm, kind of glad she does not know the words from what little she knows of the great army...
McNealy
 player, 42 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 10 Jul 2020
at 23:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy mostly tries to keep his potions brewing while they travel.

[Private to GM: Work Sunday, hoping to finish him off.]
Masugatan
 player, 382 posts
 street thug
Sun 12 Jul 2020
at 20:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Also enjoying the beat, Masugatan puts a little funk in his step.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 38 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 09:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Excuse me, but what's the Great Army?  I haven't heard of any big wars around here."
Jednesa
 player, 474 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 21:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Great Army come very far, many fights.  Some win, some lose.  Many, too many lose.  Some leave.  Too many leave after scary general die.  Captain all want go own way.  Army split up.  Till only big war tower ogres and orc soldiers left.  Some hobs and gobs.  Many orcs leave in Shevna, some stay.  Jednesa come to city on sea with Big Sergeant and other ogres.  Great Army not fight near here, run away here.  Many days running."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 39 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 22:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, no wonder.  Our village never had much news from Shevnia, and since we left we've been wandering.  How long ago did you come to Northport?"
Narrator
 GM, 7972 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 16:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As you march along the iter, for it is an old imperial road, you spot a roadside shrine in a copse of cypresses.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1924 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 20:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 446):

Is there any reason we would stop there?
McNealy
 player, 43 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 21:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Mcnealy comments "I'd like to stop briefly to collect some leaves and bark from the Cypress trees.  You never know when components like this might be useful.  Otherwise, I see no need to stay, unless one of you has a religious affiliation."
Masugatan
 player, 383 posts
 street thug
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 22:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Any statues?  I’m wondering whose shrine this is.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 82 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 22:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Holy Sister, please help Alchemist McNealy.  While you do, I'd like to look at the shrine."

Evelina approaches the shrine, respectfully, looking for symbols that might identify the patron.

[Private to GM: Blissfully ignorant of any theology other than that of the Frog God.]

This message was last edited by the player at 23:02, Tue 14 July 2020.

Elaina Grattan
 player, 40 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 22:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh!  Who do you suppose it's for?"
Jednesa
 player, 475 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 00:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa lowers the cart and fishes a paper wrapped ration out of one of her two chests on the cart.  Then she approaches and puts the ration package at the shrine and starts to carefully tend it (clearing weeds, dusting is off, etc).
Narrator
 GM, 7982 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 18:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 450):

Within the shrine, and behind an iron portcullis is a plain altar, all traces of carving are worn away. Atop the altar is a silver cup

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:54, Wed 15 July 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1925 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 20:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 453):

Christine watches. She is not in the habit or robbing shrines...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 83 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 22:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Christine, Emma, can either of you transform water into wine?  Holy Sister or I can create water to convert, but the Frog God isn't a wine drinker.  I think filling the cup would be a fitting offering, in addition to Jednesa's ration."
Masugatan
 player, 384 posts
 street thug
Thu 16 Jul 2020
at 07:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“I don’t trust this.  It must be some kind of trap.”  Valuable item left unguarded in plain sight?  Too easy.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:16, Thu 16 July 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1926 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 16 Jul 2020
at 11:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 456):

Christine and Emma look at other for a moment.

"No, I don't think so. But we can create water as well. Perhaps Masugatan has some wine?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 84 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 16 Jul 2020
at 22:46
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Or Valerie?"
Jednesa
 player, 476 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 01:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
After finishing cleaning it up a bit, Jednesa pats the roof like it's a small child and mumbles something.  Then goes back and waits next to the cart for everyone else to finish up with the shrine.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 85 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 08:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa?  Did you recognize the shrine or its patron?"
Jednesa
 player, 477 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 11:35
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa not know.  Ogre gods not have, umm, shrine.  Worship Ogre gods where ever need, not at special place only."
Valerie
 NPC, 18 posts
 Barfly
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 17:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 458):

The former barmaid shrugs.
"We had the last of the wine thre other day. Is that thing locked?"

This message was lightly edited by the player at 18:02, Tue 21 July 2020.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 86 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 22:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I don't know, we haven't tried it.  I think it lifts up, but why would we want to open it if we have no wine to offer?"
Masugatan
 player, 385 posts
 street thug
Mon 20 Jul 2020
at 02:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan, obviously eager to prove his worth to the party, volunteers to do the heavy lifting.  He figures he’s damn tough, so who cares if it’s a trap?  And he does have ten fingers, so it’s no tragedy if he loses a couple.  He can always get somebody else to do the arithmetic.
McNealy
 player, 44 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 20 Jul 2020
at 20:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Alchemist McNealy, noting that Masugatan is attempting the gate, looks around for more herbs and plants he can use.  He's not really concerned with the altar at all, so much as he is with cooking his potions.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1927 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 20 Jul 2020
at 20:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 465):

Christine was ready just to move on, but if others wanted to make an offering, she was willing to wait, and kept a watch...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 87 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 20 Jul 2020
at 23:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Please, Masugatan, don't strain yourself.  We have no wine to offer, and mere water in its place might be inappropriate."
Narrator
 GM, 8003 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 21 Jul 2020
at 18:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 467):

Masugatan can make a lifting roll, ST-2 to try and raise the gate.
Masugatan
 player, 386 posts
 street thug
Tue 21 Jul 2020
at 23:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Not so good....

19:00, Today: Masugatan rolled 15 using 3d6.  Lift.
Narrator
 GM, 8006 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 23 Jul 2020
at 17:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 469):

Slight twinge in your back, but ok
Masugatan
 player, 387 posts
 street thug
Sun 26 Jul 2020
at 06:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
May I try that again, following a brief intermission to allow my spine to recover?
Elaina Grattan
 player, 41 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sun 26 Jul 2020
at 10:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Why do you want to open the gate?  You don't plan to steal from a shrine, do you?"
Jednesa
 player, 478 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 26 Jul 2020
at 13:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Steal from shrine bad idea.  Gods not like when steal from them."

Jednesa thinks for a moment.

"But legends say everything good stolen from gods by great hero, so maybe Massy try be great hero?"
Narrator
 GM, 8018 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 26 Jul 2020
at 18:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 471):

Make a per roll before trying again.

The rest of you discussed offeri gs, but so far only Jednesa has made one.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1932 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 26 Jul 2020
at 22:11
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 474):

Indeed. Christine is a bit of a scientist, and she does not know this god. Hence, she is not convinced a god she does not know will take any notice of her...
Emma Wilson
 player, 26 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sun 26 Jul 2020
at 22:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 475):

Emma worships Helios. How would he feel if she offered offerings to another god? A lot of gods are a little jealous of that kind of thing...

[Private to GM: Rolled 4 under Theology to know who this god is and his relationship with Helios...]
McNealy
 player, 45 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 27 Jul 2020
at 18:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC Alchemist McNealy considers himself something of a scientist, and isn't religious to any extent.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 88 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 27 Jul 2020
at 22:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, yes, you're right, Jednesa.  I've heard stories of how even fire, the most basic of human tools, was stolen from the gods.  That theft was punished severely, though, wasn't it?"

[Private to GM: 18:13, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 14 using 3d6.  Perception (14).
18:14, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Perception (13).
]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1933 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 07:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 478):

"Pretty sure that was just a myth. Fire is created by magic and nature, after all..."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:37, Tue 28 July 2020.

Emma Wilson
 player, 27 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 07:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 479):

"Maybe, but like all good things, it can be given by the gods too. Helios gives the warmth of his fire for all to enjoy."
McNealy
 player, 46 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 15:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Mcnealy purses his lips.  He never really cared for the religious discussion.  "Fire is created by energy.  It can be magical energy, or chemicals mixed correctly to create that energy.  I suppose Gods can grant that power too, but it's not an innate function of religion.  It's part of nature."
Jednesa
 player, 479 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 22:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Svarožič bring good and bad to ogres.  Bring fire, but also fire in heart... what make warrior into powerful fighter, but uncontrolled, like raging fire.  Belbog forgive Svarožič, but Crnobog does not.  Everyday in Nikdy Život, Svarožič fight, eat, drink, happy with endless sex, but night Svarožič strapped to wheel.  The grinding make spark that make great bonfire at Nikdy Život, to drive away endless hungry dark.  At dawn Belbog lift what left of Svarožič, small lump like coal, breath back to life Svarožič can spend all day with merry make."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 42 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 22:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Sounds like Swarovich has it bad.  He can endure the nights, knowing the day will come, but the day must be tainted by the knowledge that night must follow.

"Belbog and, um, Chernobog?  I don't think I've heard of those."

Jednesa
 player, 480 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 01:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"God of day and god of night.  One god, but also two?  Jednesa not understand well.  Not fun like Chlapáku."
Masugatan
 player, 388 posts
 street thug
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 05:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
01:40, Today: Masugatan rolled 15 using 3d6.  Per.
Emma Wilson
 player, 28 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 08:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 485):

"Indeed, no, and not nice like Helios. Are you sure you do not want to follow a nicer god?"
Jednesa
 player, 481 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 11:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa not follow gods.  Gods only trouble.  Jednesa like Chlapáku, do what Chlapáku does.  Will be great hero."
Narrator
 GM, 8025 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 19:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 486):

These gods are also worshipped by Shevnians.

[Private to Jednesa: you are the recipient of a blessing (10 pt bless spell)]
Emma Wilson
 player, 29 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 20:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 488):

Are they known as good gods? Of course, Emma will be a little bias all the same...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 89 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 22:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, I wouldn't say gods are nothing but trouble.  The Frog God gave us power and knowledge, and allowed us to stay together."  The elder sister looks sidelong at the younger.  "Leaving home was bad enough, but if Holy Sister hadn't been able to come, too, it would have been much worse."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 43 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 22:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"You speak a great truth, Holiness."  The younger sister reaches out and takes the older's hand for a moment.  "If only more people would follow him."
Masugatan
 player, 389 posts
 street thug
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 23:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“So what do you say?  Should I lift it, or leave it alone?” He awaits their response with the infinite patience you might expect from a well-bred gentleman such as himself.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:59, Wed 29 July 2020.

Emma Wilson
 player, 30 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 08:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 492):

"What are you actually trying to do?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 90 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 09:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"If you plan to steal that chalice, you should just leave off.  Hurting yourself trying to lift the grate might be the least of your worries."
McNealy
 player, 47 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 14:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
From off in the weeds, McNealy pulls up a plant and stows it into his bag, and then walks over "I'll help you with the grate.  It's obvious no one is maintaining this place, and whatever god it stands for has long abandoned it.  No sense leaving the chalice here for anyone to take."

OOC  Assist Masugatan with the grate.

[Private to GM: 08:34, Today: McNealy rolled 10 using 3d6.  ST 10, when Masugatan is ready.

Went back to review, and...greedy.  Why he was looking for herbs instead of silver...  Bad driver!
]
Emma Wilson
 player, 31 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 20:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 495):

"If it has been left here for a long time, there is probably a reason. I would prefer not to find out..."
Jednesa
 player, 482 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 20:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa just shakes her head.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 91 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 30 Jul 2020
at 22:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"With the permission of the Frog God, it might be possible to ask.  Perhaps we should try before disturbing the shrine -- or simply leave it be, and in the absence of any wine, let Jednesa's offering stand alone or add to it."
Valerie
 NPC, 19 posts
 Barfly
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 18:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 498):

"McNealy, do you have a spot of oil, and, er some locksmithing tools? I had to pawn mine beforecwe left town."
She i dicates two rusted locks, around the sides of the shrine that may be affecting the portcullis' movement.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1934 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 19:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 499):

"Maybe I can help with that, though I am not sure I should...what precisely do you want to do Massy?"

[Private to GM: Rolled 2 under, Lockmaster spell.]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 92 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 23:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I truly think we ought to leave that chalice be, unless we have an offering of wine -- and we don't."
Masugatan
 player, 391 posts
 street thug
Sat 1 Aug 2020
at 08:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Okay.  Just leave it then?”
Evelina Grattan
 player, 93 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 1 Aug 2020
at 13:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Yes, just leave it.  If there is any food left from breakfast, something better than Jednesa's ration might be appropriate -- but really, without knowing more about whatever spirit or deity this shrine was made for, there's no way to know what's correct.

"Worth considering, also, Masugatan -- it looks to have been here a long time.  If it weren't protected, someone less respectful would surely have taken it before now."

Masugatan
 player, 392 posts
 street thug
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 02:42
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Nodding, he steps back.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1935 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 09:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 504):

"We ready to move on then?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 94 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 09:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Yes, I think so."
Jednesa
 player, 483 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 16:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa stands, stretches, and takes up the ox-cart's tongue prepared to get moving, she's happily muttering "gonna wrestle dragons... gonna wrestle dragons".
McNealy
 player, 48 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 17:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy lingers a bit by the shrine.

"Business is hard.  Every little bit helps.  I can get us in to the shrine without any problems.  We should collect the chalice."

Seeing that the rest of the group has pulled away, he shakes his head.  Reaching for the webbing on Cookie, he pulls out a vial, and applies it to the rusty locks.

OOC The last time around I checked the sheet, and wasn't playing him quite right.  Have adjusted to be more accurate...which will likely cause trouble.

[Private to GM: Using alkahest on the locks.  I assume they will fry, and then McNealy will go in and pick up the chalice.]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1936 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 20:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 508):

"Don't piss off the gods, McNeally. Business can get a lot tougher doing that. Maybe that is why business is tough...you are pissing off the wrong beings. Come on."

She starts to lead the group away...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 95 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 21:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I agree with Christine.  Best to leave it alone, unless you have wine and plan to make an offering."
Masugatan
 player, 393 posts
 street thug
Tue 4 Aug 2020
at 05:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan smiles at the talk of pissing on the gods, recalling his past behavior in the temple.  Those were the days.
Narrator
 GM, 8055 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 4 Aug 2020
at 19:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 508):

The locks hiss and sieze up.


This is as been edited.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:37, Mon 10 Aug 2020.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 96 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 4 Aug 2020
at 22:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Alchemist McNealy!  Are you personally determined to bring down the wrath of, at least, a local spirit on us?"
McNealy
 player, 49 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 5 Aug 2020
at 16:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Alchemist McNealy shrugs at the question.  "I don't believe in religion, for the most part.  It does work for healing spells and other magicks, but I personally have no connection to the Gods.  Science is where I place my faith."

With that, he walks in and picks up the chalice.

OOC  If "unopposed" in this action, he will put it in his pack and leave.

No one here believes it will be that simple....

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1937 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 5 Aug 2020
at 20:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 514):

Christine will scowl at the alchemists' arrogance.

"We want no part of that. We are not thieves so if there is retribution, you will have to deal with it yourself. I am leaving..."

She continues down the road.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 44 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Wed 5 Aug 2020
at 22:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Shaking her head, Elaina turns to follow her sister and Christine.

"Let's go, Jednesa.  We probably don't want to be too close to him."
Jednesa
 player, 484 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 8 Aug 2020
at 03:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa sets off, hauling the ox cart behind her.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:57, Wed 12 Aug 2020.

Masugatan
 player, 394 posts
 street thug
Sat 8 Aug 2020
at 11:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan follows behind the ox cart, making sure nothing falls off.
Narrator
 GM, 8074 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 12 Aug 2020
at 01:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 518):

The locks, treated with acid as they are, might be knocked off with a few hammer blows (dr 4, hp 3) if you want to pursue that route at this time.
McNealy
 player, 50 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 12 Aug 2020
at 19:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy will use the butt end of his staff to take a couple cracks at it.

[Private to GM: Should be more than adequate.  I know you're subtly discouraging me, but he does have greedy.
13:25, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 7 using 1d6+4.  All out attack +2 damage.
13:24, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 11 using 3d6.  McNealy Staff 14.

13:26, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 9 using 3d6.  All out attack +2 damage  #2.
13:25, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 10 using 3d6.  McNealy Staff 14  #2.
]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 98 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 12 Aug 2020
at 23:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina, shaking her head, none the less slows her steps.  "Alchemist McNealy, can't you accept that this is a bad idea?"
McNealy
 player, 51 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 12 Aug 2020
at 23:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy shrugs. "This shrine looks to be in disrepair.  I'm not sure it's even dedicated to any god we could name.  Maybe it's a bad idea, but I see no reason to leave that chalice here for anyone to take.  Sooner or later it's going to walk away with someone.  It might as well be me.  Plus, the traveling alchemist business is pretty hard.  I didn't manage to break even by letting opportunities like this pass me by."

The gnome turns back to the gate, adjusts his dark glasses, and whacks the lock again.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1938 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 13 Aug 2020
at 00:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 522):

"Probably you would have better business if you had have let opportunity to rob the gods pass by...leave it be."
Masugatan
 player, 395 posts
 street thug
Fri 14 Aug 2020
at 05:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Okay, hold on," Masugatan says as he approaches the alchemist.  "We make decisions as a group, not every thug doing his own thang.  Besides, you ain't a thief, so leave that locks alone."
Narrator
 GM, 8086 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 14 Aug 2020
at 19:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 524):

The lock, damaged by the acid, cracks off, leaving one other to secure the porticullis.
Emma Wilson
 player, 32 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sat 15 Aug 2020
at 00:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 525):

"Apparently, he just does his own thing. Good thing he makes the healing potions...hope he leaves enough for the rest of us..."

She departs as well, following the rest of the group.
McNealy
 player, 52 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sat 15 Aug 2020
at 02:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy puts his staff on the ground as Masugatan approaches.  He looks a bit confused.  "Just a few minutes ago, you were trying to open this yourself.  Did you change your mind, or was there some reason why you decided to leave well enough alone?"

McNealy steps away from the locks to face his fellow adventurer.

[Private to GM: Made his control roll so for now he's OK to leave.  If there is a worthy explanation.
20:49, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 7 using 3d6.  McNealy control roll 12.
]
Narrator
 GM, 8092 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 16:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 527):

With a wistful look at the silver chalice, you continue onward, none the richer, and none the worse either.
McNealy
 player, 53 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 17:32
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy grumbles quite a bit as he finally joins the rest of the group on their travel.  "I don't see what all the fuss is.  No one has tended to that shrine for years.  Who would care about us taking that chalice?  I just don't understand why you're making such a fuss.  If there aren't any followers maintaining the place, why would the god care about some stupid cup anyway?  They care about hearts, not about money.  It seems to me that the cup would be of way more use to me than it is sitting there being ignored by it's god.  Someone should be using it, instead of it collecting dust on some obscure road side eyesore..."

He'll vent like this on and off for the next couple hours.  The gnome genuinely doesn't get the real concept of religion, as he's firmly entrenched in science.  Faith is a fairly difficult bridge for him.
Narrator
 GM, 8095 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 19:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The iter continues southward without much invident for the better part of the day. As it closes on sunset, you can see the smoke of a chimney in the distance.


[Private to McNealy: you just lost a magic item, but avoided a divine curse]
Emma Wilson
 player, 33 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 21:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 530):

Emma tries to convey the concept of belief and the power of the gods as they travel, though it is likely a lost cause. Despite travelling with 3 clerics...
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1939 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 21:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 531):

"Should we press on to the chimney, or camp out tonight?"

What is the nature like here?
McNealy
 player, 54 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 02:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy is pretty much talked out at this point, so he doesn't much care if they stop or not.  When they do, he will quietly work on his potions, and set out traps for food gathering.
Jednesa
 player, 485 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 02:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa shrugs, "Stop at fire, or make own, is same."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 99 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 09:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters confer briefly.

"We'd be in favor of camping soon.  Are we really that close?  We've seen no sign of the dragon."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1940 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 10:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 535):

"Then let us make camp here, or at a good spot if there is any around."
Masugatan
 player, 396 posts
 street thug
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 21:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“The gods don’t care about money?  Are you sure about that?  Most priests I’ve ever met seem to think it’s all they care about.”

He awaits the party’s decision, indifferent as to whether they investigate the smokey chimney or make their own fire instead.
Emma Wilson
 player, 34 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 21:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 537):

Emma finds an excellent campsite, easily defensible and with good views of the surrounding lands, and fresh water...

[Private to GM: Critical success, rolled a 4 on Survival (Plains) for a campsite.]
McNealy
 player, 55 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 21:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"In my experience, it's the religious people that care about money, so they can live and become wealthy.  Who here knows a single religious man who share his wealth with the poor?  I never assumed it was their gods that wanted the cash.  It was always the priests, in my book."

OOC  I'll note here that I am playing 2 priestly types in this setting...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 100 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 22:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Men of some god, I cannot say, but these two women of the Frog God have shared many times.  We have healed, cure disease, purified soil for crops -- and often asked nothing more than a meal or two and a bed for a night.  And we are far from wealthy, nor likely to be."
Emma Wilson
 player, 35 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 11:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 540):

"I must be doing it wrong, then. Healing others because they are sick, as long as they are worthy folk...that is what Helios calls for."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 45 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 22:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Well, after all, what use has a Frog God for coins or jewels?  Some nice fat flies or a big slug would be more appropriate."
McNealy
 player, 56 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 22:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy responds, in a sort of sullen way.  "Well, then maybe we'll have opportunity for you to change my mind.  So far I haven't seen enough to convince me.  During an adventure, everyone usually pitches in to help out.  It's necessary for survival.  We'll see if things change once we're no longer at risk of life and limb."

Mcnealy goes back to his mixing, muttering under his breath (in a passive aggressive sort of way) "Who worships a frog anyway, much less all dressed in white like they are.  The things are covered in pond slime.  They must be insane..."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1941 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 20 Aug 2020
at 01:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Emma Wilson:
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 537):

Emma finds an excellent campsite, easily defensible and with good views of the surrounding lands, and fresh water...


Christine will start setting up the campsite by creating food...

[Private to GM: Seven rolls to create food between 6 and 13, skill 16]
Valerie
 NPC, 20 posts
 Barfly
Sat 22 Aug 2020
at 19:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 544):

"Hey, Blue, what did you make that out of?"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1942 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 22 Aug 2020
at 20:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 545):

Christine created them out of foliage or bushes by the road.
McNealy
 player, 57 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 16:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy still finds himself a bit annoyed at his current situation.  The situation from earlier in the day revealed the philosophical differences in the group.  He was decidedly in the minority, as a non-religious gnome.  He was used to being an outsider, but it felt a little worse in the moment, and he didn't appreciate it.  As such, he spent a lot of time on his own, setting traps outside of camp for food.  Then, he spend the rest of his time grumbling about priestesses and slimy frogs to himself, as he tended to his brewing.

[Private to GM: He should get a good amount of game from his traps.
10:16, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 10 using 3d6.  McNealy traps 17.

At some point we should be rolling on his Alchemy, but I haven't pressed the issue since you're already handling a lot of threads.  Let me know when you want to tackle it.
]
Masugatan
 player, 397 posts
 street thug
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 18:35
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan scouts the perimeter, looking for any actual or potential hidden dangers.
Narrator
 GM, 8110 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 19:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 547):

McNealy has a brace of rabbits in his snares.

Masugatan notices some odd looking tracks...
Emma Wilson
 player, 36 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 20:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 549):

Emma notices the Gnome muttering to himself, and goes over to him.

"You seem a little out of sorts. Perhaps you are missing a great opportunity for business. Yu have noticed that many priests and priestesses sell things that make them money, and you have several here who do not seem to be so interested in making money. Have you thought that travelling with them is a perfect opportunity to sell healing salves and the like, that many come to people of faith to purchase? You are more likely to find a buyer for such goods with us that a buyer for a stolen chalice from a shrine...and you only ever make money when you sell an item."
McNealy
 player, 58 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 20:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy is still feeling rather sullen about losing out on the precious chalice earlier in the day, so he drops the rabbits in front of the cooking fire and retreats back to his horse.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 46 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 24 Aug 2020
at 22:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The younger sister approaches McNealy after he goes off to pout.

"Alchemist?  We don't wear white during the ceremonies.  We dance in the rain, roll in the mud, eat flies -- well, symbolic flies, like the Triunists only drink symbolic blood -- and we do it all completely naked!"  She giggles and grins widely.  "It's lots more fun than sitting in a church and repeating responses."

She looks down at her nearly new leather armor.  "We don't even wear white when we're on the road, though I'm sure Holiness wouldn't object to it when we're not traveling -- but it's such a city color."
Jednesa
 player, 486 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 04:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa opts to forgo a setting up her tent, and just preps her bedroll to be a thick pillow.
McNealy
 player, 59 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 17:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy looks up at the 2 ladies.  He's busy adding a couple clover leaves to one of his beakers, and that's followed by some tree sap he gathered the day before.  His face looks dour at best, although he isn't at a full frown.  At first he doesn't say anything.  He just looks down and finishes adding the material, then he stoppers up the beaker.  He swirls it clockwise 3 times, very precisely, and then sets it gently back into the delvers webbing on Cookie.  Then he looks up at the women in front of him, and sighs.

"Business is hard enough in a human town as a human.  As a gnome, you have to be a little bit better than everyone else just to get the same treatment.  The humans literally look down on you, and often try to intimidate you with their size to get better prices.  Or they don't take you seriously, because they think of you as just a hedge dabbler, or a little mini-dwarf.  It's a big town, and there are a lot of people selling stuff.  People don't make special trips to search out my kind.

When you have a criminal record it's even worse.  I was young and stupid once.  Was an apprentice to one of the alchemists in town, but I blew up his lab real good with a stupid mistake.  The city guard came knocking and I did some time in a work camp.  Now the only way I can fill out my formulary is by adventuring like this, because the rest of the town alchemists are wary of my history.  And the customers don't exactly come knocking at my door first.  The religious types are even worse, because they hear you broke the law and write you off, without getting to know you.

Yes, it was a silver chalice on an altar.  Some god might have been offended that I took it.  But my life has been pretty damn hard, with a lot of bumps.  A silver chalice is worth a lot of money.  You might not care about that, but look at Cookie, look at all my stuff.  In order to make a living, I have a lot of overhead.  If an ogre decides Cookie would make a good lunch, I have to start all over.  My business doesn't have a lot of room for error.  I have to scrounge up the ingredients that I can, get it all mixed up just right, and then hope that someone wealthy needs a little help with something.

You don't have to think about that when you're dancing around naked, with your god providing food.  If someone cuts you, your god provides healing.  You have religious friends to travel with, and brand new armor because you're not wanting for money.  What you have sure looks a lot easier than what I have to deal with every day.  No body wants to travel with a nerdy little gnome that cares about herbs and potions.  I'm alone, with no where to call home.  Have a little compassion for the wretched little gnome with all of his bubbles and quirks.  It's not easy being me."



OOC He's actually wealthy, but it's all invested in the lab.  And he's chummy, which I tried to play by oversharing his history a little bit.  :)
Emma Wilson
 player, 37 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 20:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 554):

"We get that. Actually, everybody had their difficulties. But you don't have to be alone. Stealing from the gods, however Minor, is just the kind of action that ensures that people continue to avoid you. You cannot change your past, but you can change your future. Right now, you are travelling with us. That has a lot of implications as well as benefits."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 101 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 25 Aug 2020
at 22:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"The Frog God doesn't provide us with food.  I'm sure, if we asked for it, he'd let us make food the way Emma and Christine do, changing twigs and leaves into something just about edible -- but instead, he's taught us to live in the swamps or along the shore of a lake or pond.  I'd rather eat bulrush roots and sheep dock and whatever berries we can find, and catch the occasional fish or rabbit.

"He does grant us healing power, but we've used it mainly for others, because they needed it when we didn't.  Truth be told, the greatest blessing we've gained from the Frog God is the ability to be together.  We were both miserable, that year I was on the road alone.  Now we're happy, even if we're being run out of another village.

"I don't see what difference it makes that you're tiny.  Your potions are just as good, aren't they?"

McNealy
 player, 60 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 00:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy takes a deep breath, letting out some of the emotion he had been holding in all day.  "You won't find a better quality potion anywhere.  But then again, people care more about the money unless they're desperate.  Even then, they try to take advantage of others if they can."

After a second, his face relaxes a little bit, with almost the hint of a smirk around the edges.  "You ladies have been nice enough, for sure.  I haven't had the best of luck with people, and this is a pretty hard life, although i enjoy the traveling and the adventure of it."

After a pause, McNealy finally adds "And if you do decide to dance around naked in the swamp one of these days, I will volunteer to make sure you're safe."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1943 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 08:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 557):

The tents set up, the food created and water provided, Christine settles down to a small campfire, inviting the others to join her as Chris silently stands watch on the outskirts of camp. She starts to rest, to recover her strength from making the food.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 47 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 09:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters follow the routine they've established, laying out their bedrolls side by side, Elaina casting Watchdog immediately before retiring, and settling in to sleep.

[Private to GM: 05:04, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 14 using 3d6.  Watchdog, roll to cast (13 +1 for extra time/full ritual) radius 10, leaves 2 FP.]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1945 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 09:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 559):

So watches...

1st: Christine & Chris
2nd: Emma & Chris
3rd: Masugatan and friend & Chris
4th: Jednessa and McNealy & Chris
5th: Evelina and Elaina & Chris

Each watch of 2 hours. Anyone have any objections to this schedule being a standing procedure every night?
Jednesa
 player, 487 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 10:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC:  I'm fine with it.
McNealy
 player, 61 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 15:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC McNealy can live with it.  A good time to refresh snares before the morning animals come out.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:02, Wed 26 Aug 2020.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 102 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 26 Aug 2020
at 22:32
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC: seems very acceptable.
Valerie
 NPC, 21 posts
 Barfly
Thu 27 Aug 2020
at 19:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 563):

Valerie shrugs "If you don't mind having a late breakfast, I am game "
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1947 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 27 Aug 2020
at 20:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 564):

Cool, then we can run with that every night. Christine settles down for the night.
Narrator
 GM, 8117 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 17:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 565):


As the 3rd and fourth shifts change, the defensive spells go off. Something has approached the camp. Per rolls at -5 all.

[Private to Narrator:invisible Triger. Nearby is a ruined tower with a partial alchemical lab to loot, same set up as btft only with a rift in the hillside open to the bottom left of map. Gobbos cleared out, about a dozen bugbears tho]

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:50, Fri 28 Aug 2020.

McNealy
 player, 62 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 18:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy jumps up, wild eyed, and stares out into the darkness.

[Private to GM: I believe this is a critical fail.  Considered making up something wild, but decided to let you guide me because that would be creating your story.  What manner of craziness should I be RPing?
12:38, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 17 using 3d6.  McNealy PER 13-5=8.
]
Jednesa
 player, 488 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 18:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
As the 3rd and fourth shifts change, the defensive spells go off. Something has approached the camp. Per rolls at -5 all.

OOC:  Is that -5 due to darkness?  If so, Jednesa was allowed to roll, otherwise her Per roll is at a 2...

14:56, Today: Jednesa rolled 9 using 3d6.  Per 7MoF: -2

Narrator
 GM, 8120 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 28 Aug 2020
at 19:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 568):

Jednesa can faintly hear something in the darkness.

McNealy was staring into the fire, and has gone nightblind for a wee bit while his eyes adjust to the darkness.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1948 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 29 Aug 2020
at 01:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 569):

Christine awakes, but only gets to her feet, staying still otherwise. Emma does likewise.

"Crispin...please come and light our evening..." she calls, quietly.

[Private to GM: Rolled 2 under Per, so 3 over Per-5. Has acute vision 2 and night vision 1. Emma failed by the same amount, but does not have those advantages.

Roll to summon Crispin, 12 or less, rolled 10...
]

This message was last edited by the player at 01:06, Sat 29 Aug 2020.

Elaina Grattan
 player, 48 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sun 30 Aug 2020
at 00:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina, awakened by the spell, shakes her sister as she sits up and looks into the night.  Evelina comes awake and alert, but doesn't see what the younger sister has spotted.

[Private to GM: 20:02, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 8 using 3d6.  Per (13 - 5) to spot intrusion.
20:08, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 8 using 3d6.  IQ (14) to avoid Mental Stunning from sudden awakening.
20:09, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Per (14-5) to spot intrusion.
]
Jednesa
 player, 489 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 30 Aug 2020
at 01:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Realizing the noise she heard might actually ahve been important, Jednesa stands up and looks over in that direction.
McNealy
 player, 63 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 31 Aug 2020
at 16:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Alchemist McNealy is dazed, but can tell from reaction that something is amiss.  As he blinks repeatedly behind his glasses, he fumbles around for just the right vial on his bandoleer.

[Private to GM: Ready staff sling.  Not sure of the foliage so maybe this isn't wise, but as a pyromaniac he's going for the alchemist's fire.  Load it in the sling and start aiming at the noise...whenever he can see.

He has the shaded alchemist's glasses so I'm not sure the fire would have blinded him.  But yes, that is what he would have been doing.
]
Masugatan
 player, 398 posts
 street thug
Mon 31 Aug 2020
at 17:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
13:46, Today: Masugatan rolled 6 using 3d6.  Per roll (unadjusted).
something in the darkness
 NPC, 20 posts
 did you just hear
 something?
Mon 31 Aug 2020
at 23:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 574):

Masugatan the sharp eyed spots more of the strange footprints,  and more of them as he watches- but nothing is making them!
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1949 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 08:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to something in the darkness (msg # 575):

Does Crispin come? Does a little light help anyone else notice after (I assume) he points that out?
Elaina Grattan
 player, 49 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 09:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina follows along Masugatan's gaze.  "You too?"
Fire elemental
 NPC, 60 posts
 floating fireball
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 18:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 577):

Crispin materializes out of the campfire and rises above it, casting a bit more light.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1950 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 20:32
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Fire elemental (msg # 578):

"Crispin, my friend, can you have a close look at these footprints Masugatan seems to have found?"
Elaina Grattan
 player, 50 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 1 Sep 2020
at 22:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina picks up her whip and takes a guard position while her sister slips on her body armor and sleeves and jams her leather cap onto her head.
Emma Wilson
 player, 38 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Wed 2 Sep 2020
at 08:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 580):

Emma does not take long to don her Jacket and skirt...

She makes a few whispers when done, creating a small light that begins moving towards the footsteps.

[Private to GM: Cast Light, rolled 5 under skill. Moves towards footprints...]
something in the darkness
 NPC, 21 posts
 did you just hear
 something?
Wed 2 Sep 2020
at 17:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 581):

There is a low coughing roar from outside the camp. It is echoed from the other side of the fire.
Emma Wilson
 player, 39 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Wed 2 Sep 2020
at 20:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to something in the darkness (msg # 582):

Emma will direct her light to the side of the fire away from the footsteps Crispin is investigated...
Jednesa
 player, 490 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 2 Sep 2020
at 21:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Hearing the roar spurs Jednesa to respond, she turns towards the roar, crouches, and roars right back!





OOC:  17:53, Today: Jednesa rolled 11 using 3d6.  Intimidation 8.  MoF -3.

If her Size Modifier +2, Hideousness +2, or Monsterousness +3 factor in, adjust accordingly.

McNealy
 player, 64 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 2 Sep 2020
at 22:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy will launch his vial at the location of the cough he is facing.

[Private to GM: No time like now to figure out the rules.  ACC on the staff/sling is 1, so the aim bonus should be +3 for 3 rounds of aiming.  He was focused on the area where the noise was coming from so that seems like a reasonable "pop-up" attack.  Think that's the rule here.

15:56, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 10 using 3d6.  McNealy Staff/Sling 13, +3 aim, -range, -vial.

Remember, this is Alchemist's fire.  Not sure what the rules are for the vial to break, or do we just assume it does since the whole reason for grenade bottles is this.

I seem to recall that vials lobbed this way are at -5 to hit?  Is that accurate?  Is there a way for a specialist to buy this off with a perk or something?  Seems pretty limiting for this specific character build.
]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 103 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 3 Sep 2020
at 09:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Once Evelina has scrambled into her armor, she lifts her own whip and takes guard while Elaina slips into her own.
Masugatan
 player, 399 posts
 street thug
Thu 3 Sep 2020
at 23:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Who is there?  Reveal yourself,” Masugatan demands in his most authoritative ‘you owe me money’ voice.
something in the darkness
 NPC, 22 posts
 did you just hear
 something?
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 17:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 587):

McNealy's vial shatters, vreating a pool offlame that seems to catch on the leg and flank of something large. Three echoing catlike roars echo about!

Natural philosophy or Iq-6 anyone?
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1954 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 22:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to something in the darkness (msg # 588):

Christine remembers two of them seemed to be on opposite sides...was Crispy near the side with the creature now burning?

[Private to GM: Rolled 7 under IQ, for IQ-6, pass by 1]
Emma Wilson
 player, 40 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 22:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 589):

Emma directs her light to the other side of the camp, where the other sound came from...

[Private to GM: Rolled IQ-6, and 2 under Naturalist.]
Jednesa
 player, 491 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 22:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Seeing something revealed by the fire, Jednesa lunges making a grab at the flaming hindquarters!



OOC:  All-out Attack (Determined), Grapple.

18:36, Today: Jednesa rolled 11 using 3d6.  Wrestling Grab 15 (Skill 16 +4 AOA -1 Leg -4 Foe Not Visible/Location Known).

Evelina Grattan
 player, 104 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 22:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
While Elaina is still getting armored up, Evelina takes a deep breath and lets out a roar very much like the ones coming from outside camp.  At the same time, she snaps her whip handle, sending a wave along the lash that culminates in a loud "Pop!".

[Private to GM: 18:38, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Mimicry (Animal Sounds) (12) to answer the coughing roar.
Not a "crack" attack as on B409-410, just a noisemaker.
]
Masugatan
 player, 400 posts
 street thug
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 00:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan readies his Butcher's Blade and awaits further developments.
McNealy
 player, 65 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 02:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy really likes the color of the fire, and finds himself admiring it for a split second, before reaching for something in his pouch.

[Private to GM: Rolled to resist admiring the fire.  I think it's right at will so he'll catch himself before wasting time.
20:18, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 14 using 3d6.  Fire admiration.

Load up a lead bullet in his staff sling.  Then, decision.  If Jednessa has one creature in hand, considering it's already on fire, he'll aim and fire at another one.  He'll just make the number before range.  That means he will probably just miss, depending on the SM of the creatures.
20:20, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 14 using 3d6.  McNealy Staff/Sling 13, +1 aim, -range.
]
Tyger, tyger
 NPC, 3 posts
 Burning bright
 In the forest of the nigh
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 17:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 594):

The buring reveals a shape before the creature drops and tries to roll-- it is a great cat, with three heads, but beyond the pits of flame, it cannot be seen.

Neither can the beast on the far side of the camp... it can omly be heard.
McNealy
 player, 66 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 18:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Since nothing can be seen, McNealy will target the creature he can see with his staff sling.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1956 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 21:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 596):

Christine will cast a quick spell on Jednessa for now...

"Keep it burning Crispin..."

[Private to GM: Resist fire, rolled 5 under skill.]

This message was last edited by the player at 21:09, Mon 07 Sept 2020.

Emma Wilson
 player, 41 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 21:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 597):

Emma will cast Helios version of the same spell on Masugatan...and guide the light towards where the other sound is from in order to illuminate footprints or other tell-tale signs.

[Private to GM: Resist Fire, 6 under skill including the -1 to maintain light spell.]

This message was last edited by the player at 21:13, Mon 07 Sept 2020.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 105 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 21:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Does that really have three heads?  I've never seen such a thing!"

Evelina steps toward the burning creature, into the reach of her five yard whip, and launches a cracking lash.

[Private to GM: 17:09, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 9 using 3d6.  Whip (13 - 4 for crack lash -- unknown penalty for hard to see creature).
17:15, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 5 using 1d6+1.  Damage (1d-1 +2 for crack, armor divisor 0.5 => armor value is doubled).
]
Jednesa
 player, 492 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 06:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Tyger, tyger:
The buring reveals a shape before the creature drops and tries to roll-- it is a great cat, with three heads, but beyond the pits of flame, it cannot be seen.

Neither can the beast on the far side of the camp... it can omly be heard.

OOC:  Did it Dodge Jednesa's grab in msg #591?  She succeeded the attack, even with the penalty for not being able to see the foe, just knowing where it was located (it was on fire momentarily).

Masugatan
 player, 401 posts
 street thug
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 17:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan steps up beside Evelina, ready to intercept three-headed beast if it charges.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:34, Tue 08 Sept 2020.

Elaina Grattan
 player, 51 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 22:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The younger sister, still buckling her studded skirt, steps up into position three yards to the other side of Evelina from Masugatan and readies her whip with a flick.  "Ready, Holiness!"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 106 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 23:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The older sister, having readied her own whip as Elaina joined the group, smiles a little.  "Then let's catch us a whatever this is, Holy Sister."

Looking for any remaining hint of flame or smoke, or dust or mud the creature might have picked up as it tried to roll the fire out, she takes a step toward the beast and lashes again, with a sidearm motion, but the lash merely whirs through the air.

[Private to GM: 19:00, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 13 using 3d6.  Whip (13 - 4 to entangle -- unknown penalty for visibility).]
Emma Wilson
 player, 42 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 08:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 603):

"Perhaps someone also needs to make sure the second one is dealt with too..." Emma adds nervously...
Tyger, tyger
 NPC, 4 posts
 Burning bright
 In the forest of the nigh
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 18:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 600):

Hoisting it by the til, Jednesa finds the beast quite agitated, and it claws at her unsuccessfully
Masugatan
 player, 402 posts
 street thug
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 21:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“We could use a plan.  Anybody got one?”
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1958 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 21:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 606):

"Sure. Jednessa and the Frog sisters deal with the one they have, while you and Emma seek to find the second one. Our Alchemist and I will seek to help where we are most helpful."
Jednesa
 player, 493 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 22:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa crouches and makes to switch her grip from it's tail/hindquarters to its body.




OOC:  Another Wrestling Grab, but the Triger invisible, possibly 3 headed great cat is at -4 to DX due to being grappled and a further -2 to her 'deceptive' speed and strength (total -4 to it's defenses against this grip switching).

18:45, Today: Jednesa rolled 13 using 3d6.  AOA (Determined) Wrestling Grab 16 (skill 16 +4 AOA -4 Deceptive).

This message was last edited by the player at 22:55, Thu 10 Sept 2020.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 107 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 11 Sep 2020
at 09:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Hold up, Holy Sister."  Evelina waves a hand at Elaina.

"Remember what happened last time we got tangled up in Jednesa's wrestling."

She none the less twitches her whip back into a ready position, just in case, still trying to keep track of the beast by watching for litter picked up in its (presumed) fur or still-burning patches.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1959 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 11 Sep 2020
at 09:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
In reply to McNealy (msg # 596):
Christine will cast a quick spell on Jednessa for now...
"Keep it burning Crispin..."


Has Crispin attacked the thing yet? Also, has Emma been able to detect the other one?

[Private to GM: I just rolled another per for Emma...7 under Per. She is using the light spell to track the second one, based on hearing the second creature roar earlier...]

This message was last edited by the player at 09:21, Fri 11 Sept 2020.

McNealy
 player, 67 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 11 Sep 2020
at 14:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy notes that Jednessa has the anmial quite well in hand, and so he turns back towards the other noise to assess what needs to be done there.

OOC Assuming his bullet is still loaded in the staff sling, and not prebviously fired.  Did not see any notes where he got off a shot in the fast action.  Thus he will aim that at the other potential threat.
something in the darkness
 NPC, 23 posts
 did you just hear
 something?
Fri 11 Sep 2020
at 17:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 611):

You have only had audible confirmation of a second creature, no one has seen it. Jednesa is holding the burnt Triger closely, barely visible from where it smolders.  What do you wish Crispin to
attack?


Does anyone have natural philosophy?
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1960 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 11 Sep 2020
at 22:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to something in the darkness (msg # 612):

Since Jednessa is protected from fire, I wanted Crispin to help her keep that one burning...

Naturalist, yes, Natural Philosophy, not Christine or Emma.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 108 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 11 Sep 2020
at 22:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC: I don't even see Natural Philosophy in the Basic Set skills list.  There's Philosophy (specialty), on which we could use a default, and both of us have Naturalist (Earth-like), but pretty sure there's little natural about a three-headed cat.
Masugatan
 player, 403 posts
 street thug
Sat 12 Sep 2020
at 02:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Agreeing with the plan, Masugatan goes with Emma, serving as muscle.  He was sure Jednessa could handle her end of things.
Jednesa
 player, 494 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 12 Sep 2020
at 04:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina Grattan:
OOC: I don't even see Natural Philosophy in the Basic Set skills list.  There's Philosophy (specialty), on which we could use a default, and both of us have Naturalist (Earth-like), but pretty sure there's little natural about a three-headed cat.

OOC:  Gwythaint likes to say "natural philosophy" when he means Naturalist.  And in DF, Naturalist covers anything found in nature, even if it's been magically altered or is some Giant, Dire, or other type (that isn't better covered by Fey, Elder Thing, Divine, Demonic, etc).
Emma Wilson
 player, 43 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sat 12 Sep 2020
at 06:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 616):

Ah, Ok, thanks for the explanation. Emma rolled 4 over, so in this case, she has no clue anyway!
Evelina Grattan
 player, 109 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 12 Sep 2020
at 13:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC: 'Doh!  Okay, rolls made.

[Private to GM: 09:42, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Naturalist (13).
09:43, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 13 using 3d6.  Naturalist (13).
]
McNealy
 player, 68 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 14 Sep 2020
at 22:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC Either McNealy is waving a flag in the air, or he does want to throw a rock at something.  When we find the something.

He does have lights he can throw if needed.  If no one was working on this already, he will take action on his own.

Jednesa
 player, 495 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 15 Sep 2020
at 03:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa shifts her weight, bearing down on the invisible great cat, attempting a takedown.



OOC:  Attack, Takedown.

23:49, Today: Jednesa rolled 12 using 3d6.  Quick Contest Takedown, Power Grappling 32MoS +20

The Triger invisible three headed great cat makes a DX, ST, or Grappling skill roll whichever is highest, has to beat an MoS +20...

Narrator
 GM, 8163 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 17:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 618):

Basuc Characters  193:
Expert skill, Natural Philosophy is not Naturalist.  It is the Science! Skill for TL 1-4, and my ruling is that it lets you recognize unnatural creatures that Natura]list would not; chimeraic and mythological creatures, essentially monsters, like slorn and slimes and the like, but not good for anything that has its own hidden lore.


Those with naturalist  recognize from the burning outline and footprints that these are some type of great cat... except you cannot see them, which is weird.

Attempts to hit the burning one are at -4, but cannot be worse than 9, the other one is -10, but cannot be worse than 9
Jednesa
 player, 496 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 20:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
Basuc Characters  193:
Expert skill, Natural Philosophy is not Naturalist.

Ah.  My bad.  Noted: 'need whole other skill for Jareth'...

Narrator:
Attempts to hit the burning one are at -4, but cannot be worse than 9, the other one is -10, but cannot be worse than 9

OOC:  And sidenote boss:  Do you mean the the non-burning one is also "cannot be worse than 9" or do you mean "cannot be better than 9" (I thought 'invisibility' made it into a Wild Swing if you couldn't pinpoint the hex, which is "max skill roll is reduced to 9" after all penalties/bonuses).

This message was last edited by the player at 20:59, Thu 17 Sept 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1961 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 21:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 622):

Can we determine the Hex the one that is not burning is in?
McNealy
 player, 69 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 21:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Given the confusion, Alchemist McNealy decides that they need more light.  He swaps out his bullet for another vial...

[Private to GM: Load up another Alchemist's Fire.  Aim at least one round.  If we can identify the hex that the other cat is in, fire at the hex.]
Emma Wilson
 player, 44 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 21:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 624):

Emma continues moving her light to try to locate the second cat...
Elaina Grattan
 player, 52 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 21:42
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina, whip handle drawn back for a strike, holds as she sees Jednesa wrestling the barely discernible burning form to the ground.

"Get 'im, Nessy!"
Masugatan
 player, 404 posts
 street thug
Thu 17 Sep 2020
at 22:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan goes with Emma, ready to step in-between her and any danger they might discover.
Narrator
 GM, 8169 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 00:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 622):

I would go with wild swing is 9, once you guess the hex... in the near dark you have per-6 to spot the footprints or to licate it by hearing it. Then you can wild swing.
Emma Wilson
 player, 45 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 01:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 628):

The light spell I am using to try to locate it should assist with that...she is moving the light through the hexes to see if it bumps into something...

This message was last edited by the player at 01:17, Fri 18 Sept 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 8175 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 19 Sep 2020
at 20:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 629):

Per at -4 then
Emma Wilson
 player, 46 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sat 19 Sep 2020
at 23:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 630):

Emma still can't see it...

[Private to GM: Rolled 1 under per, so no go.]

This message was last edited by the player at 23:48, Sat 19 Sept 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1962 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 19 Sep 2020
at 23:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 631):

"There it is!"

She points, directing Emma to move the light, until it is in the location.

[Private to GM: Christine rolled 5 under perception.]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 110 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 20 Sep 2020
at 00:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC: did Jednesa manage to immobilize her beast, or???
McNealy
 player, 70 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sun 20 Sep 2020
at 01:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As soon as the creature is potentially located, Alchemist McNealy will launch his new vial at the location.

[Private to GM: He hits, but not with distance mods and the "-clunky-vial" adjustment.
19:55, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 12 using 2d6+3.  Staff-Sling 13.
]

This message was last edited by the player at 01:57, Sun 20 Sept 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 8183 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 21 Sep 2020
at 19:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 634):

[private to McNealy:reroll that last, you were using damage dice.]


Christine points to where the footprints
are. It seems to be turning toward Jednesa,who is holding the semi visible
Tyger by the tail. She has control, but it is struggling, wrestling roll?
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1963 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 22 Sep 2020
at 00:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 635):

Has Crispin managed to cuddle the thing a little to light it up some more?

Christine will create a fireball...

[Private to GM: Rolling against reduced skill due to maintaining Fire Resistance on Jednessa. 4under modified skill to cast]
McNealy
 player, 71 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 22 Sep 2020
at 04:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy seems to hit his mark this time.

[Private to GM: Rerolled, thanks.
22:36, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 8 using 3d6.  Staff-Sling 13.
]
Jednesa
 player, 497 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 22 Sep 2020
at 06:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
She has control, but it is struggling, wrestling roll?

OOC:  Did Jednesa manage the hold switch to the body (msg #608) and/or the takedown (msg #620)?  (She could only perform a takedown after a hold switch, holding it's tail isn't enough for a takedown.)

If the invisible cat is trying to Breakfree, it's a ST-based Wrestling or ST Quick Contest (whichever is better)...

01:58, Today: Jednesa rolled 8 using 3d6.  Wrestling 16 or 32.  MoS +8 if it's a DX-based roll, MoS +24 if it's ST-based.

Tyger, tyger
 NPC, 5 posts
 Burning bright
 In the forest of the nigh
Wed 23 Sep 2020
at 16:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 638):

The creature bites variously at Jednesa, and is unablr to injure her, nor is it able to squirm away.

Meanwhile, McNealy ignites the other animal, rendering it visible, and absolutely delightful to Crispin, who attempts to embrace the flames.
McNealy
 player, 72 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 23 Sep 2020
at 22:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
reloading a bullet then.
Masugatan
 player, 405 posts
 street thug
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 00:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan stays with Emma, letting her decide how to proceed.  His muscles are relaxed, ready to react in a split second.
Jednesa
 player, 498 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 16:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa shifts into a crouch, pressing a knee into the invisible beast's back and letting her shear size and weight press down onto the dire 'tiger'...



OOC:  Attack, Pin attempt.  Regular Contest.

11:54, Today: Jednesa rolled 11 using 3d6.  ST 24* Pin, Regular Contest.

Because this is a regular contest this goes on until there is a clear winner (IE, one succeeds, the other fails), so Margin if Success doesn't matter.  I presumed a "normal" (albeit invisible) Triger, so ST 19 and SM+1, if it's ST is higher or it's bigger let me know and I can reconfigure Jednesa's ST for the contest.

The 'Triger' needs to roll against a 10 (if it's ST is less than 30, if it's higher... whew, Jednesa's bitten off more than she can safely chew).  If it fails, it's Pinned.  If it succeeds we roll again next turn (presuming Jednesa still wants to Pin it by then).

* I forgot to add the +3 for being SM+2 versus SM+1 before I rolled.

Emma Wilson
 player, 47 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 02:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 642):

"I have given you protection from fire, Masugatan. See if you can assist Crispin..."

She herself will cast a spell to make her finger glow...[Private to GM: Sunbolt, rolled 8 under skill to cast]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1964 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 02:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 643):

Christine throws her fireball at the newly lit creature...

[Private to GM: Rolled skill to hit with reduction due to maintaining Jednessa fire protection, minimum damage...]
Masugatan
 player, 406 posts
 street thug
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 09:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Grunting obediently (he’s come a long ways since his days on the street!), Masugatan rushes to Crispin’s aid.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 53 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 11:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters stand by, whips ready, waiting for Jednesa's tussle with something they can't see (other than patches of smolder and wisps of smoke) to resolve.

"Go, Jednesa!" one of them shouts.
Tyger, tyger
 NPC, 6 posts
 Burning bright
 In the forest of the nigh
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 18:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 646):

The triger squirms under Jednes, not quite free, not yet pinned.

Theother one yowls as it is burnt further by the continued effects of the alchemical fire, the sweet embrace of Crispin, and the new fireball.  Masugatan is facing what looks like the business end of the creature, but it seems a bit preoccupied.
Valerie
 NPC, 22 posts
 Barfly
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 18:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Tyger, tyger (msg # 647):

Approaching Jednesa,  Valerie smashes the tiger in one of its faces, drawing its attention away from the ogress...
Emma Wilson
 player, 48 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 20:35
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 648):

Emma fires an ineffectual sunbolt at the creature fighting Crispin.

[Private to GM: Rolled 7 under skill to hit, minimum damage off course!]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1965 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 20:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 649):

Christine creates yet another fireball, since the last one worked so well...

[Private to GM: Rolled 8 under modified skill to cast.]
McNealy
 player, 73 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 23:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy aims for a second, and then fires a bullet at the creature (not wrestling Jednessa).

[Private to GM: He might hit.  Made it by 2 without range or SM.  No location.
17:48, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 8 using 1d6+2.  McNealy Sling Bullet 1D+1 +1 pi.
17:46, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 12 using 3d6.  McNealy Staff/Sling 13, +1 aim, range unknown.

In the past I had intended for these to have monster drool on them, but as it was never nailed down I'll just go for the pure bullet damage.
]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 111 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 30 Sep 2020
at 09:03
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina aims another lash at the creature Jednesa almost has pinned.

[Private to GM: 05:01, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 11 using 3d6.  Whip (13 - unknown penalty for hard to see creature).
05:03, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 4 using 1d6-1.  Whip damage (provisional) 0.5 armor penetration.
]
Masugatan
 player, 407 posts
 street thug
Wed 30 Sep 2020
at 12:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In return, Masugatan introduces the creature to the business end of his butcher’s blade.

08:26, Today: Masugatan rolled 11 using 3d6.  Broadsword.  Hit
08:30, Today: Masugatan rolled 11 using 2d6+3.  Dam.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:30, Wed 30 Sept 2020.

Jednesa
 player, 499 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 04:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"HAHA!  GOOD FIGHT!"  Jednesa laughs with joy as the tyger manages to keep on it's feet.  She shifts again, trying to press it's hindquarters flat and pin it to the earth...



OOC:  Second verse... Attack, Pin attempt.

00:19, Today: Jednesa rolled 10 using 3d6.  ST 24 Pin, Regular Contest.

Elaina Grattan
 player, 54 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 08:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As Evelina gathers in her whip to ready for the next attack, Elaina releases a lash where the air seems to support Jednesa.

[Private to GM: 04:55, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 9 using 3d6.  Whip (14 - unknown penalty for hard to see creature).
04:56, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 4 using 1d6-1.  Whip damage (provisional) 0.5 armor penetration.
]
Jednesa
 player, 500 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 12:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC:  Evelina, Elaina:  It's a -4 to attack a creature you cannot see and -2 to attack into a grapple, so -6.  And that's if the Narrator doesn't rule the tyger get's more cover for Jednesa being in the dominant position and bigger (SM+1 difference) than the target (in which case it's a further -4 to hit for -10).  Also, if you miss, you have a chance to hit Jednesa on a 9 or less (or your actual skill roll whichever is worse, not counting any "Jednesa is in the way" penalties) because you're attacking into a grapple.
Tyger, tyger
 NPC, 7 posts
 Burning bright
 In the forest of the nigh
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 18:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 656):

The triger Masugatan is facing takes a final swipe at him before collapsing unconscious,  doing 7 pts cutting to the torso before DR.

The wounded tyger Jednesa is trying to pin resists, as it bolted toward Valerie,  but fails to strike her.
Emma Wilson
 player, 49 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 20:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Tyger, tyger (msg # 657):

You are forgetting the size modifier of the Tryger...

On seeing Masugatan hit, Emma rushes over to him and asks Helios to help him.

[Private to GM: Rolled 8 under skill to cast, Major healing, 6 HP.]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1966 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 20:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 658):

Christine turns her attack against the standing tryger.

"Crispin, lets help Jednessa light up the other critter again!"

[Private to GM: Rolled 5 under modified skill to hit, minimum damage again, for the third consecutive damage roll in this thread!]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 112 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 22:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
While Elaina regathers her whip, Evelina strikes in her turn.


OOC: Jednesa, the chance of either sister doing enough damage with her whip to penetrate your hide is zero.

[Private to GM: 18:22, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 12 using 3d6.  Whip (13 - unknown penalty for hard to see creature).]
Jednesa
 player, 501 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 03:04
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa maintains her grip on the tyger, but gives up pinning it, instead she moves to shift an arm up around it's neck(s) and try for a choke hold...



OOC:  22:40, Today: Jednesa rolled 10 using 3d6.  Resisting Breakfree Attempt, Quick Contest ST 35.  MoS +25

She (crouch) Steps after it if necessary (though she has a 2 yard reach, don't know how far it leapt forward).

22:52, Today: Jednesa rolled 10 using 3d6.  Shifting Grip, Wrestling 16.  MoS +6

Quick Contest, DX or best Grapple skill, tyger gets +3 for having more free arms, but is still at -4 for being grappled.  If tyger wins, it breaks free, tie no shift, if it loses, it's in a Choke Hold and next turn, oh yeah...



Evelina Grattan:
OOC: Jednesa, the chance of either sister doing enough damage with her whip to penetrate your hide is zero.

Definitely (though crits can happen).  Just pointing it out in case you ever have the opportunity to lash into a Masugatan grapple... though be careful, that boy might like it.
Tyger, tyger
 NPC, 8 posts
 Burning bright
 In the forest of the nigh
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 19:01
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 661):

The beast critically fails its escape  attempt.
The injury Masugatan took was truly, but aa scratch; he is wesring heavy brigandinr armor.
McNealy
 player, 74 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 19:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
I presume McNealy fired a bullet, unknown if he hit (unless I missed it).  He will load up a new bullet, aim, and fire.

[Private to GM: He should hit his next shot, and it's pi.
13:44, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 5 using 1d6+2.
13:44, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 7 using 3d6.  McNealy Staff/Sling 13, +1 aim, range unknown.
]
Emma Wilson
 player, 50 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 22:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 663):

Emma will pour as much energy into the spell as needed to heal him. How much will that cost her?
Masugatan
 player, 408 posts
 street thug
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 16:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Fearing for the purity of his precious bodily fluids, Masugatan eagerly awaits healing.  Who could say where those triger claws had been?

This message was last edited by the player at 16:08, Sat 03 Oct 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 8222 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 17:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 665):

Masugstan is wearing DR5 brigandine armor, and was cut for 7, therefore he took 3 points total.

The sling bullet was a good shot, but at which triger? The unconscious one that masugatan and the fire elemental were attacking, or the one Jednesa is squishing?
Emma Wilson
 player, 51 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 22:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 666):

In which case Emma will heal him for 4 Hp, for 1 fp expenditure (2 total, reduced to 1 by skill)...

The fire elemental moves to help Jednessa now, as directed?
McNealy
 player, 75 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 20:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  McNealy thought Jednessa had that triger well in hand (...heh...heh...), so he fired at the other one.  However, he also thought it was up and attacking too.  Did I as the driver lose tracking somewhere?  Apparently between McNealy hitting it with Alchemist's fire and the bullet, the "un-Jednessa'd" Triger passed out???

...<player looks back over his rolls>...  Ah, yes, I crit failed a perception roll, I think.

Narrator
 GM, 8234 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 13:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The trigers continue to burn... how is the wrestling going?
Jednesa
 player, 502 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 15:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
The trigers continue to burn... how is the wrestling going?

OOC:  Waiting to see if the tyger stopped her from getting a choke hold on it from msg #661...

Copied for convenience:


Jednesa msg #661:
Jednesa maintains her grip on the tyger, but gives up pinning it, instead she moves to shift an arm up around it's neck(s) and try for a choke hold...



OOC:  22:40, Today: Jednesa rolled 10 using 3d6.  Resisting Breakfree Attempt, Quick Contest ST 35.  MoS +25

She (crouch) Steps after it if necessary (though she has a 2 yard reach, don't know how far it leapt forward).

22:52, Today: Jednesa rolled 10 using 3d6.  Shifting Grip, Wrestling 16.  MoS +6

Quick Contest, DX or best Grapple skill, tyger gets +3 for having more free arms, but is still at -4 for being grappled.  If tyger wins, it breaks free, tie no shift, if it loses, it's in a Choke Hold and next turn, oh yeah...

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1968 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 19:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 670):

Has Crispin joined the fight?
Masugatan
 player, 409 posts
 street thug
Wed 7 Oct 2020
at 05:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan sighs gratefully.  Nothing like a heal after a fight.
Fire elemental
 NPC, 61 posts
 floating fireball
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 15:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 671):

Crispin is delighting in the incineration of the other triger.

Jednesa keeps a tight grip on one of the triger's necks, but it does have three windpipes.
McNealy
 player, 76 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 15:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  As a player I lost track of this fight.  However, it looks like Jednessa has one in hand, and the other is passed out.  I don't see where McNealy can do a whole lot more than what he already has.

He'll go over to Cookie and make sure she's nice and calm, and not spooked or anything.


[Private to GM: Load a bullet as well, to make sure he can aim and fire if help is required.]
Tyger, tyger
 NPC, 9 posts
 Burning bright
 In the forest of the nigh
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 16:42
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Fire elemental (msg # 673):

Wit one had unconscious by zvalerie and another in a firm chokehold, the triger bites ineffectively at Jednesa with the remaining head.
Jednesa
 player, 503 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 22:09
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Tyger, tyger:
Wit one had unconscious by zvalerie and another in a firm chokehold, the triger bites ineffectively at Jednesa with the remaining head.

OOC:  The intent was to wrap a forearm around all three necks... not sure how useful it is to choke only one head, when another will keep breathing for the whole.  If that doesn't allow for 'choking', that's fine, she'll settle for applying 'crushing' to all the necks at once...
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1969 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 23:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 676):

With Jednessa resistant to fire and Crispin together in a hot huddle with the last tryger, Christine creates another fireball to warm things up further.

[Private to GM: Rolled 5 under effective skill to cast, fireball.]
Emma Wilson
 player, 52 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 23:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 677):

Emma, meanwhile, goes over to the fallen Tryger to make sure it is down, and staying down. She proceeds to hit each of the heads to ensure they can no longer be a threat, and to try to work out why they cannot be seen. Ie is it magical or something else? What to roll?
Masugatan
 player, 410 posts
 street thug
Sat 10 Oct 2020
at 03:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masu pulls out a stick of beef jerky and chews on it while he watches the action, impressed by Jednessa's forearms.  He hopes she never decides that he's the one who needs to be choked out.
McNealy
 player, 77 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 12 Oct 2020
at 03:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Alchemist McNealy has his staff sling loaded with a bullet, but is holding it with one arm while he settles Cookie with the other.
Narrator
 GM, 8258 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 16:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 676):

The semi visible triger struggles feeblyand starts to succumb.

Expert skill, natural philosophy or Iq-6 will tell you about trigers, thaumatology or alchemy  about invisibility

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:46, Tue 20 Oct 2020.

McNealy
 player, 78 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 16:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As Cookie seems to be holding up all right, McNealy comments "You know, invisible Trigers are a pretty unusual thing.  Any thoughts on why we might be seeing something like this?  Anyone know if magic might be involved?"

[Private to GM: He will make the alchemy roll by 6, if applicable.
10:50, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 12 using 3d6.  McNealy Alchemy 18.
]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 113 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 22:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Seems kind of stating the obvious, isn't it, Alchemist McNealy?  Invisible anything is pretty uncommon, and trigers aren't exactly something you see every day.

"Invisible is magic of some kind.  Animals with three heads at least were, once."

Masugatan
 player, 411 posts
 street thug
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 12:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Seeing the remaining triger going down, Masugatan takes a casual look around in a 360 degree circle, making sure nothing else is creeping up on them while they're distracted.
Jednesa
 player, 506 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 13:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa just keeps her grip steady and continues to apply pressure util it goes limp, at which point she asks, in what you imagine she thinks is sotto voce but is actually still slightly loud even for normal speech, "Get rope, tie up, take cat?"




OOC:  She doesn't let it go once limp, she keeps a firm grip, but she eases off the straggle hold.
Narrator
 GM, 8272 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 19:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 682):

Typically, spells of invisibility wear off when attacking, the potions only contravene this when many are taken consecutively, or when unusual magical circumstances overlap; ie trigers are magical.
Masugatan
 player, 412 posts
 street thug
Fri 23 Oct 2020
at 22:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“I shoulda brought a rope.” He smacks his forehead, hoping it will help him remember next time.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 55 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 23 Oct 2020
at 22:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We have rope."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1976 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 23 Oct 2020
at 22:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 687):

Christine holds off from attacking Jednessa pet, for now.

[Private to GM: Christine rolls 5 under theumatology re invisibility]
Narrator
 GM, 8281 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 15:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 689):

This is unlikely to be an invisibility spell; it would have worn off as they attacked. This is more likely to be some kind of potion effect.
Jednesa
 player, 507 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 16:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Jednesa hold creature, Frog God sister tie up?"

Jednesa still seems to be (very loudly) whispering, probably to not wake the unconscious triger.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 114 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 26 Oct 2020
at 21:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The older sister retrieves a length of rope out of her backpack.

"I'm no wizard with knots, but I can leg-tie like a herdsman would do with a lasso for branding or shearing."

She approaches, the younger sister standing by within whip reach, but (presumably) out of claw range, just in case.

"Can you turn it over so I can reach the legs?  And then hold the legs so I can tell where they are?"

As she speaks, the ties a slipknot into the rope, pays out a loop a couple yards across, then grabs the loop where the rope passes through the hondo with her right hand, holding the remainder of the twenty yards of rope coiled in her left.

"Ready when you are, Jednesa."
Jednesa
 player, 508 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 01:42
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa does as instructed, carefully rolling it and keeping a firm one handed grip on it's shoulders/neck area in case it was just 'playing possum'.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 115 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 09:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina, working from a combination of feel and seeing Jednesa's hands, closes the lasso loop around the creature's feet, then wraps several tight turns before catching the rope under itself twice to hold the tie.

"Here's where a herdsman would get the brand out of the fire.  Downside is, this is more about going on quickly and then coming off cleanly once you're done, but it'll hold as long as we don't give the beast time to work its feet loose."

[Private to GM: 05:03, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 7 using 3d6.  Lasso (11 + unknown bonus for held animal).]
Jednesa
 player, 509 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 17:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa continues to 'whisper', "Can tie muzzle?"
Narrator
 GM, 8288 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 18:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 695):

At this point, the tiger is no longer burning, is unconscious,and the charred hair is falling off, making it less visible. Evalina manages to secure it.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 116 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 27 Oct 2020
at 23:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I can't see its muzzle, Jednesa.  Not one of the three."  Whispering being contagious, Evelina is whispering back at the orgress now.
McNealy
 player, 79 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 05:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy walks over and grabs a bit of dirt off the ground, and sprinkles it on the head area gently.  "You should be able to make out the muzzles now" he states, then head over towards the other triger to see what else needs to be done there.
Narrator
 GM, 8293 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 18:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 698):

Evalina can now see what she needs to muzzle the hog tied triger.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1978 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 22:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 699):

"What do you intend to do with it now?"
Jednesa
 player, 510 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 22:34
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa pats it gently.  "Sell to guild.  For arena, or maybe some knob want hidden guard cat."
McNealy
 player, 80 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Thu 29 Oct 2020
at 00:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
From where he is standing, Alchemist McNealy speaks up in response.  "I hate to stop you in the middle of such a nice idea, but we have more important business at the moment.  These trigers aren't natural for starters, and then they were invisible too.  We don't know whether they got into someone's vials and drank an invisibility potion, or of it was administered to them on purpose.  But we know it's probably close, and we could be in real danger here.  In my opinion we should be looking for the source of the problem, before something even worse finds us."
[Private to GM:
And...  That someone probably has a formulary that McNealy might possibly be obsessed with.
]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 117 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 29 Oct 2020
at 08:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina whispers to Jednesa "I hate to say it, but I think the Alchemist is right.  These are probably the watchdogs, and we need to look out for the owner."
Narrator
 GM, 8301 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 16:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 703):

Come daylight, you may attempt tracking.
Jednesa
 player, 512 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 20:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We butcher other one for breakfast?  Maybe sell fur for... uh... huh.  No see coat not worth much maybe.  How know if is good or not?"

Her volume seems to have returned to normal, probably much to the annoyance of any one considering trying to go back to sleep.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 56 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 22:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I like to see what I'm eating.  Maybe if it's visible by then.  Maybe."
Masugatan
 player, 413 posts
 street thug
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 23:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“I agree with selling it to the guild.  As for the ‘owner,’ I say bring him on.  The sooner things get bloody the better, because I’m bored.”
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1979 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 1 Nov 2020
at 11:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 707):

"If Jednessa wants to keep an eye on it, fine. But I am curious as to why it is invisible. Back to sleep, everyone?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 118 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 1 Nov 2020
at 11:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Yes, sleep, as soon as we have this creature under control.

"Jednesa, I don't think I can muzzle it.  Maybe if it were a dog, but tigers don't  have long noses and I'm not that good with knots.  I think we're probably better killing it; otherwise, it may wake when we're trying to sleep, and get its feet loose, and cause more trouble."

Jednesa
 player, 513 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 1 Nov 2020
at 16:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Oh, yes.  Okay."  Jednesa unhooks her crude hand axe/mace from her harness and proceeds to line up to smash each skull of the bound tryger, then (if not stopped) she'll move on to the other just in case it's not dead... (again as long as no one stops her)



OOC:  Do I need to roll?  She'll be holding their head in one hand to steady and know where the head is... so it's possible to really bungle and hit herself.
Masugatan
 player, 414 posts
 street thug
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 00:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan winces as Jednessa starts bashing triger heads, hating to see something that beautiful crushed like a ripe tomato.  But that's better than waking up with its fangs in his throat.

For the thousandth time lately, he chides himself for becoming too civilized.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 57 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 00:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina winces with each impact of Jednesa's weapon, turning her head away.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 119 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 00:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina takes Elaina in her arms.  "Sshhh, Holy Sister, it had to be done."
McNealy
 player, 81 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 19:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Alchemist McNealy pays great attention to the process, and even comes over to watch closely.  By way of explanation, he says "You never can be to aggressive with gathering alchemical components.  Just my luck I'll need a triger tongue or a spleen to make my latest concoction."

[Private to GM: OOC Alchemist McNealy will move to take whatever components he might need for brews after Jednessa is done.  He doesn't have dungeon butchery (didn't know it was a thing at creation time), so what would be the next appropriate skill? ]
Jednesa
 player, 514 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 19:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
After smashing the heads, Jednesa stop to think about it for awhile.  Then she goes and get's her tent canvas out and lays it next to the carcasses.  She fishes a sharp stone from her pouch and by feel slowly starts in on skinning one of them...

It's clear to anyone watching, at the speed it looks like she's going, starting, stopping, restarting... it'll take her like 2 days to skin and butcher just one of the animals.




OOC:  So if someone wants to interfere when morning rolls around, or before then at a shift change, go ahead!  I'll hold off rolling her really, really terrible Survival Skill to see how far she get's before someone sane puts a stop to this nonsense.
Narrator
 GM, 8314 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 20:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 715):

The ideal skill would be dungeon butcher burt survival -1 may work. Invisible triger hides may be valuable!

Jednesa make 3 rolls,  crit failure is a blow to your thumb
McNealy
 player, 82 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 3 Nov 2020
at 01:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
While the alchemist wants nothing to do with Jednessa's butchery, he does impulsively grab one of the heads to see if the eyes, tongue, and other components can be salvaged.

[Private to GM:  He's probably got some well developed method or concoction for preserving these things, but absolutely none of the skills for getting them beyond maybe Naturalist or Animal Handling (Equines).  You would think he has done this before.  Next point goes into something along these lines, it's a deficiency in the character build.]
Jednesa
 player, 515 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 3 Nov 2020
at 03:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
Jednesa make 3 rolls,  crit failure is a blow to your thumb

OOC:  22:31, Today: Jednesa rolled 11, 12, 12 using 3d6,3d6,3d6.  Survival 5 (Skill 6 -1).

Even taking all the Extra Time will not yield any kind of success.

Emma Wilson
 player, 56 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Tue 3 Nov 2020
at 09:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 718):

When Emma sees how clumsy she is, she will start with the other trigger...


[Private to GM: Rolled 2 survival (plains)-1 exactly, the third was 3 over...]
Masugatan
 player, 415 posts
 street thug
Tue 3 Nov 2020
at 19:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Watching this, Masugatan is grateful to have opposable thumbs.
Narrator
 GM, 8322 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 4 Nov 2020
at 20:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 720):

Emma is able to peel one reasonably well, only reducing the value by about 10-15%. Jednesa on the other hand, is doing quite poorly, reducing it to 40% of its worth.

Which is still valuable.

Occ:
Dungeon butcher was added to DF cannon in DF19; artificers were in DF4 so there should have been an update of some kind that left it as an option.
McNealy
 player, 83 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 4 Nov 2020
at 21:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  Alchemist McNealy assumed there was a head he could grab and walk away with, given Jednessa's general lack of delicacy.  He doesn't want to be anywhere close to the butchery of the butchery, so to speak.  Also, he was impulsive in grabbing a head, but the quality of the bits would also be in question given the opposable thumbs issue.

[Private to GM: I made a default roll for McNealy to recover useful bits from the head.  Guessing I missed by 1-2, so perhaps the specimen was already rather mauled.
14:41, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 11 using 3d6.  McNealy dungeon Butchery default, IQ 14.
]
Jednesa
 player, 516 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Wed 4 Nov 2020
at 22:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
Occ:
Dungeon butcher was added to DF cannon in DF19; artificers were in DF4 so there should have been an update of some kind that left it as an option.

OOC:  Yes, but it doesn't replace the skills listed in DF 2 for everyone else and it has an additional use that no one but Incanters can use (and maybe Alchemists if you're ruling that Incantation Components can be used in Alchemy or that Alchemist can dig out components, then I'll need to add this skill to Jareth's repertoire)... in which case it's still a niche skill that should honestly only be offered to Incanters and Sages (Sages, Scholars, Artificers, Alchemists).  Now if any wizard can burn Magical Components in a ritual for a bonus to their casting skill... let us all know*.

And no, there's been no update to DF 4 Sages, and I even checked the Alchemist in Pyramid 3-82 Magical Creations, Dungeon Brewmasters (which was printed two years before Incanters) and nope, it's a new addition as of Incanters and not 'updated' any where else (it's meant for them to use to get their ritual components with since they can't use Power Items).

* I wouldn't recommend it unless you also require them to carry the Workshop like an Incanter, in which case it's really not worth it...


McNealy, so you know, it's Professional Skill (Dungeon Butcher) IQ/Average, default IQ-5 if you have the relevant profession (I'm presuming Alchemist applies here), so you might have a 'decent' default already.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:47, Wed 04 Nov 2020.

McNealy
 player, 84 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 4 Nov 2020
at 23:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
As he looks at the mutilated head in front of him, Tradesman McNealy suddenly sits down hard. To the closer observer, he appears to be quivering slightly.

OOC  Thanks for that.  The character has all the required skills for gathering potion components from the wild, but I had no idea the skill existed at character creation.  It makes sense that he would have this skill.  Alchemy is probably more dependent on physical components than just abut anything else.  When we next see character points, it will be his first investment.

[Private to GM: I forgot he has the post-combat shakes.  Since we're still close enough to the tail end of the fight, I had him experience a minor episode.  It's late, but probably appropriate given the moment.]
Narrator
 GM, 8328 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 5 Nov 2020
at 20:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 724):

I would suggest it for alchemists as a complimentary skill when scrounging materials. The other use (houserule) it has is for shapeshift/create spells that require familiarity with the thing created/shapeshifted into... want to be a drsgon, need a dragon claw or scale.

Potion of flying? Blood from a magical
 flying creature

This would be the 2e magic version of harvesting mana organs, which needed surgery as a skill. But for superior potion ingredients better than mere scrounging to find items with allegorical significance? Dungeon butcher.


Mc Nealy has a hard moment as he tries to identify the bits of an invisible, smashed triger head, and needs to sit down.
Masugatan
 player, 416 posts
 street thug
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 21:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan sits down as well, but does no work.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 122 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 7 Nov 2020
at 00:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Evelina continues holding Elaina, turning her gently away from the invisible carnage where Jednesa is disassembling the triger and easing her back toward the campfire.  She seems to be whispering something in her younger sister's ear as they move.
Narrator
 GM, 8341 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 18:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 727):

The sun starts to rise,making the triger prints more visible in the damp earth...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 123 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 23:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Having just returned Elaina to her bedroll, Evelina looks around the camp.

"It's getting light -- is it time we tried to backtrack those monsters?"
McNealy
 player, 85 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 00:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Alchemist McNealy still seems to be a bit shaken, so he doe not respond at first, although he does seem to be pulling out of it as time passes.

OOC  Once he feels better, Tradesman McNealy will try to harvest whatever components he can from the rest of the carcasses. 

[Private to GM: Aaaand he fails again.
17:44, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 11 using 3d6.  McNealy dungeon Butchery default, IQ 13-5, with extra time.
]
Narrator
 GM, 8344 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 20:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 730):

Trying to butcher the invisible is not an easy feat.


The footprints trail off around the side of an oddky symmetrical hill.
Jednesa
 player, 517 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 20:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC:  If people want to get off after the paw prints while they're fresh, Jednesa can bundle the carcasses up in her tarp and stow them in the wagon.  A little Create Water will clean us up, and we can be off.

Just say so.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 124 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 00:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The elder sister kneels beside the younger's bedroll.

"Come, Holy Sister, it's time we went to find where those things came from, and perhaps who sent them."

She looks toward the lightening sky.  "I wonder if it will rain soon?"

[Private to GM: 19:26, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 11 using 3d6.  Weather Sense (14) for today's weather.]
Emma Wilson
 player, 57 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 04:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 733):

Emma, finishing a reasonable job on the creature she is skinning, rolls it up for later sale, before noticing the odd hill. She rouses those still resting (Christine, and others?) and heads over there.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1980 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 04:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 734):

Christine follows her friend...is Crispin still hanging around? She has not specifically dismissed him, but she has not told him to stay, either.
Fire elemental
 NPC, 62 posts
 floating fireball
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 21:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 735):

Crispin was ruining a tiger skin, now more like a leather hide than a rug... still useable as invisible light leather armor if brought to the right armorer.

The prints lead around the side of the hill, beyond which is a bit of a drop off.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 125 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 22:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters stay near whoever is following the tracks back, walking with their slings wound into their fingers and a stone each gently swinging like a pendulum.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1982 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 22:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Fire elemental (msg # 736):

lol,

"Come, my little pyromanic friend. Lets see what else we can find..."

She will follow the others investigating the path. It might be a good spot to rest.
McNealy
 player, 86 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 13 Nov 2020
at 00:54
Re: Seekers of the Flame
When the rest of the group decides to investigate the hill, Alchemist McNealy practically can't get there fast enough, although he stays behind the fighter types.

All the while he'll chatter on excitedly...  "Do you think he'san alchemist?  This could be the find of a century.  What kind of skill would someone need to make tigers invisible, much less trigers.  This is exciting.  Do you see anything?......"

OOC I would rather just say that he's overly excited about this discovery, and with some chummy he's going to be...super annoying.  In this case I'd rather just explain instead of posting over and over with different questions and comments....  But you can imagine he is a real handful right now.

[Private to GM: Chummy, Curious, Impulsive, and obsessed with filling out his formulary...  Yeah, he's a super anti-social pain in the buttocks right now.  I don't want to be super annoying but the character would be.]
McNealy
 player, 87 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 13 Nov 2020
at 00:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"...By the way, I really think your fire elemental is cool.  His name is Crispin is it?  How did you come to be friends?  Where did he come from?  How does the burning work?  Does he pull from the existing mana, or is there some sort of planar interaction? Does need heed food?  Or does he need to burn things?  Can he speak?  Isn't this exciting???....."
[Private to GM:
Oh yeah, forgot pyromania.
]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1983 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 13 Nov 2020
at 01:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 740):

"I learnt to create fire elementals, and this particular friend is one who I befriended from the elemental plane of fire. He does speak, in a fashion, though he is a little hot-headed at times. You can ask him yourself...I am interested to see what may lay ahead."
Masugatan
 player, 417 posts
 street thug
Fri 13 Nov 2020
at 05:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan follows the sisters, keeping an eye on the rear of the party.  And he also makes sure nothing is sneaking up on them.
Emma Wilson
 player, 58 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 13 Nov 2020
at 09:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 742):

Lol, with that array of posteriors, anything more sneaky that a herd of charging elephants may not get noticed!
Evelina Grattan
 player, 126 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 13 Nov 2020
at 10:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
On seeing everyone scrambling to follow the sisters, Evelina shrugs and continues following the tracks back toward their origin.

[Private to GM: 05:01, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 11 using 3d6.  Survival (Woodland) (defaulted from Swampland, 10).]
McNealy
 player, 88 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 13 Nov 2020
at 20:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"...I would be glad to meet your little friend.  Does he have a name?  How would I talk to him?  You said he communicates a little differently..."
Valerie
 NPC, 23 posts
 Barfly
Fri 13 Nov 2020
at 20:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 742):

"Hey! Eyes on the prize! Also, little man is a bit chatty, no?"
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1984 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 00:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 746):

"Quite. Silent for days on end, then talks like a town crier when we should be quiet...lets discuss this later."
Narrator
 GM, 8356 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 15 Nov 2020
at 19:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 747):

A few per rolls folks
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1985 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 15 Nov 2020
at 20:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 748):

Christine notices very little...

[Private to GM: Rolls of 15 and 16 for both Emma and Christine, both are 4 over Per. ]
McNealy
 player, 89 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sun 15 Nov 2020
at 20:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Despite his chattiness and generally animated behavior, Tradesman McNealy is paying attention to his surroundings.

"Say, does your fire elemental have a name?  How should I address him?  Is there any special trick to communicating with him...?

[Private to GM: Makes it by 1.
13:14, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 12 using 3d6.  McNealy PER 13.
]
Jednesa
 player, 518 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 16 Nov 2020
at 00:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa is paying too much attention to clambering up to the top of the oddly shaped hill in order to get a good look around to actually notice anything.



OOC:  19:25, Today: Jednesa rolled 15 using 3d6.  Per 7.
Emma Wilson
 player, 60 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Mon 16 Nov 2020
at 05:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 749):

"Perhaps not the best time for this discussion, McNealy..." Emma comments, distracted by the chatty gnome.
Masugatan
 player, 418 posts
 street thug
Mon 16 Nov 2020
at 07:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
02:58, Today: Masugatan rolled 10 using 3d6.  Per roll. (Made it)
Evelina Grattan
 player, 127 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 16 Nov 2020
at 10:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters continue moving forward slowly, trying to keep to the triger tracks.

[Private to GM: 05:10, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 4 using 1d6+2.  Per (14).
05:11, Today: Elaina Grattan rolled 8 using 1d6+2.  Perception (13).
]
Narrator
 GM, 8361 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 21:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 754):
 OCC: Evalina, you need to refresh the dice log

Masugatan and McNealy spot the tracks heading into a cavelike opening in the side of the hill.
McNealy
 player, 90 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 22:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In the middle of a sentence, Alchemist McNealy recognizes that some people are off the track, and tries to direct the rest of the group.  "Hey, looks like the tracks go over there.  Do you suppose that's the entrance to the alchemist's lair?  Maybe there is a magical pool of invisibility water or something.  Wanna check it out?  I bet if we send sparky here in close to the front we can see everything important in there.  I'll go with him to keep him company...."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 128 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 23:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Holy Sister and I can produce lights without fire.  Can you, Emma?  Christine?  If so, let's share the load."  Evelina looks doubtful at the prospect of venturing underground.

She nods to the younger sister, and both stow their slings and loosen their whips.

[Private to GM: 'doh!  Sorry about the wrong dice, boss.  Wonder if the proprietors could make the dice roller do that automatically when a player changes characters?]
Emma Wilson
 player, 61 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 08:41
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 757):

Emma flicks her fingers. It takes a moment, but a small light does appear and float ahead of them.

[Private to GM: Rolled 2 under skill, Light]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1986 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 08:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 758):

"Both of us can. it is not draining, and Crispin can also provide his own light, but I will not send him into a possibly dangerous location blind.."

She also flicks her fingers, and a small light appears. She wills it ahead.

[Private to GM: Rolled 3 under skill, Light]
Elaina Grattan
 player, 60 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 10:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Elaina takes the tent pole from the outside of her pack, speaks a clearly audible incantation and gestures broadly with her free hand.  The end of the pole lights up, bright as a torch, and she restows it so the lit end protrudes above her head.
Jednesa
 player, 519 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 14:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa having gotten a look around at the top of the hill and then briefly looking around the area from up there realizes everyone is talking about a cave and tromps down to look at it.



OOC:  Boss, how big is this opening?  In terms of how many Jednesas will it fit... 2, 1, 1/2?
Masugatan
 player, 419 posts
 street thug
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 21:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Look: a cave-like opening!  Can I go first?  I just love cave-like openings: ask the ladies.” His eyebrows go full Groucho Marx.
Elaina Grattan
 player, 61 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Thu 19 Nov 2020
at 22:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Valerie, let us know if you need to borrow a whip..."

Meanwhile, Evelina casts Lend Energy, so as to share the cost of the light equally.

[Private to GM: 17:50, Today: Evelina Grattan rolled 13 using 3d6.  Lend Energy (14) roll to cast. 1 FP.]
Valerie
 NPC, 24 posts
 Barfly
Fri 20 Nov 2020
at 19:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 763):

The barmaid narrows her eyes."I might take you up on that, but it might be something a little judiciously applied cast iron could fix," she says patting her frying pan.


The cave mouth is only two yards high snd wide, barely big enough for a hunched ovet Jednesa.
Jednesa
 player, 520 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Fri 20 Nov 2020
at 20:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa puts out a hand to stop people from entering.

"Jednesa go first.  If Jednesa get stuck, no retreat past."  She unties the big iron wedge (crude one-handed axe/mace) and holds it towards Elaina.  "Light please.  Like coals when fire burn low.  Jednesa see fine, not alert cave dwellers as much."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1987 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Fri 20 Nov 2020
at 23:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 765):

Christine moves her light deep inside the cave as she surveys the entrance.

Can it be made bigger by shape earth? How big is the interior, with the light moved in?
Emma Wilson
 player, 62 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Fri 20 Nov 2020
at 23:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 766):

Emma will also send her light deep into the cave...

[OOC: The light spell creates a small light like a candle flame that can travel with a concentrate manoeuvre at move 5, and does not use energy due to high skill...]
Masugatan
 player, 420 posts
 street thug
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 01:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan restates his offer to take a torch and head into the cave ahead of the rest of the party in a way that is more likely to be taken seriously.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1988 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 01:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 768):

"Jednessa does have a point...if she gets stuck in the door, it could go badly for anyone trapped inside. Better let her try first, and if she does not fit, she can guard outside and we will take you up on your offer. Though to be honest, Jednessa, maybe you should stay outside anyway. I don't want you banging your head on the roof, and it is important that while we are there, no-one sneaks up on us."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:19, Sat 21 Nov 2020.

Jednesa
 player, 521 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 04:11
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa nods.  "Okay.  Jednesa will bring cart over to cave and guard outside.  If it get's bigger inside, Jednesa will join you."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1989 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 04:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 770):

"That sounds like a good plan, Nessi."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 62 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 12:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Holiness, we haven't worked out tactics for close quarters.  How can be cover each other with our whips?"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 129 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 12:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I think one of us must follow the other; the one behind will cover if an enemy gets too close."
Masugatan
 player, 421 posts
 street thug
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 21:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Just whip it good.”
Emma Wilson
 player, 63 posts
 Priestess of Helios
Sat 21 Nov 2020
at 22:43
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 774):

"Sure. Whip it real good, huh?" She frowns.

"You lead then, Masugatan"
Evelina Grattan
 player, 130 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 22 Nov 2020
at 13:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I think you have more skill with the whip than I, so I'll follow Masugatan and you follow me, Holy Sister."
Masugatan
 player, 422 posts
 street thug
Sun 22 Nov 2020
at 20:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan shrugs, then takes point, confident that his street toughness will keep him alive.  “Will somebody provide a light source, or maybe pass one up to me?”
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1990 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 Not from Wastrels Hope.
Sun 22 Nov 2020
at 20:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 776):

"Perhaps you ladies should follow Emma, Crispin and I, who are all a little capable with Melee weapons, and who are directing the lights...though if there are more invisible targets, the lights may only serve to illuminate us. We will follow Masugatan."

[OOC: There are two small lights floating ahead of you Masugatan, and a fire elemental beside you...]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 131 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 10:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"So, we'll be at the rear?  Okay, in that case, Holy Sister, you follow Emma or Valerie, and I'll follow you, at least until we're sure Jednesa can get in without getting stuck."
Narrator
 GM, 8371 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 18:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The cave opens up into a smallish 3 yard by 5 yard by 3 yards high. The back wall is worked stone. There is a pool of liquid against it.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1991 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 19:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 780):

Christine will send her light to investigate the wall of worked stone.
Emma Wilson
 player, 64 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 19:28
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 781):

Emma will use her light to check out the rest of the cave, including the ceiling...
Narrator
 GM, 8373 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 20:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 782):

The ceiling is packed, slightly scorched earth and loose stone and roots
Elaina Grattan
 player, 63 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 24 Nov 2020
at 23:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Did the tracks actually come from here, or did we get distracted?  If they're from here, I wonder if that pool made the trigers invisible?"
Masugatan
 player, 423 posts
 street thug
Wed 25 Nov 2020
at 00:19
Re: Seekers of the Flame
What kind of liquid is the pool?  Does it look dangerous?

Don’t touch that stuff with fire until we know what it is,” he barks.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1992 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Wed 25 Nov 2020
at 06:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 785):

"Crispin, wait here. I don't want you to get too near the water..."

She approaches the pool for a closer inspection, her light right at the surface.
Narrator
 GM, 8384 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 26 Nov 2020
at 17:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 786):

Anyone have hazardous materials:magical? Or alchemy -2
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1993 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Thu 26 Nov 2020
at 19:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 787):

Christine takes a close look at the pool...

[Private to GM: Hazardous Materials (Magical) rolled 5 under...Alchemy, rolled 3 over...]
Masugatan
 player, 424 posts
 street thug
Fri 27 Nov 2020
at 07:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 786):

Anyone have hazardous materials:magical? Or alchemy -2


I sure don’t.  Unfortunately.
Narrator
 GM, 8391 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 27 Nov 2020
at 18:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 788):

The pool appears to be runnof froma lanoratory. It is liky very volatile
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1994 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Fri 27 Nov 2020
at 21:48
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 790):

"This looks like an Alchemists lab, and seems very volatile. We should probably camp here, while our alchemist investigates..."

She checks the rest of the cave, and prepares to set up a campfire here. Well, we kind of have a living one for now...

She picks up a stone and casts a spell. The stone glows as bright as day...

"Jednessa, can you go and bring the rest of the camp here, perhaps with the frog sister's help, while we will create some food after we recover our strength."

She will then rest for an hour, before going outside ad picking some grass to create ten meals, three for Jednessa.

After that, she will need to rest for another hour to recover her strength...

[Private to GM: Cast Continual Light (As bright as Day), rolled 7 under skill.
10 Rolls to create food between 7 and 13, skill 16.
]
Emma Wilson
 player, 65 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Fri 27 Nov 2020
at 21:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 791):

Emma meanwhile will got to the pool and pray for a permanent display of sunlight around it before she too will request for rest.

After resting, she too will go with Christine to pray for ten meals out of foliage found, but she will want to save them for later.

[Private to GM: Rolled 9 under skill, continual sunlight (2d days). Then recover energy for an hour, before rolling between 6 and 15 (skill 17) for essential Food, 10 meals.]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 132 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sat 28 Nov 2020
at 12:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"We can't bring the cart inside, can we?  Holy Sister and I would just as soon sleep outside with Jednesa, to keep an eye on the cart -- but it's just now morning.  We've got the whole day ahead of us, after you two rest up."
Valerie
 NPC, 25 posts
 Barfly
Sat 28 Nov 2020
at 16:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 793):

"I appreciate the food, but tit kinda tastes like twigs.

Did you notice the way the pther side of the hill looked? Kinda lumpy."

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1995 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Sat 28 Nov 2020
at 22:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Valerie (msg # 794):

Did I miss the morning arrival?
Masugatan
 player, 425 posts
 street thug
Sat 28 Nov 2020
at 23:13
Re: Seekers of the Flame
“Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do we really want to camp in here next to the runoff from a crazy alchemist’s lab?  You don’t have to be a genius to figure out this stuff could be poison.”
Christine Bjorn
 player, 1996 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Sat 28 Nov 2020
at 23:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 796):

"It could, or it could turn you invisible. But it would be important thing to know, and we could learn a lot from this place that may make the rest of the journey much easier."
Jednesa
 player, 522 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 05:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
Did I miss the morning arrival?

OOC:  [RECAP]
Our camp is like, right over there.  Maybe 100 yards away?  We were interrupted during the change over from 3rd to fourth shift, so 2-3am in the morning.  Since everyone was wide awake at that point we skipped returning to sleep, skinned and dressed out one triger (the other is a mess but is still dressable).  Christine might have been the the only person to try to go back to sleep, though how she'd sleep through Jednesa butchering a triger and loudly humming to herself is beyond me...  ;)

At first light, tracks were spotted and followed.  Thus began the second day of the quest to find the Oracle of the Eternal Flame.
[/RECAP]

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1997 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 05:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 798):

Since rest was interrupted, Christine wanted to have some rest and some do research/dress these critters. As such, she suggests that we stay here in the cave for the day and set out next morning. That gives us a day to research/clean, and the cave is a more secure camp.
Jednesa
 player, 523 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 05:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Christine Bjorn:
Since rest was interrupted, Christine wanted to have some rest and some do research/dress these critters. As such, she suggests that we stay here in the cave for the day and set out next morning. That gives us a day to research/clean, and the cave is a more secure camp.

OOC:  Also the cave probably has a secret door, that people with Search skills should poke around for.

I mean, I feel the trope just weighing down on us...

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1998 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 06:46
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 800):

At 3 yards high, can Jednessa stand up in here? Search skill...don't know anyone with that. Would want to sort out this pool first though...

The troupe weighing down on us? I feel that is a reference I am missing...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 133 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 12:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"If you insist on staying here, especially for a whole day and night, at least let Holy Sister and me look around the place for trap triggers and set the Watchdog.  We'd really prefer to sleep outside, though.  It smells odd in here."

OOC: It's more than eighty years since a philologist named Tolkien told a story for his son in the form of letters, in which (among other things) a group of dwarves, with a hobbit and wizard, took shelter in a mountain cave that turned out to be a side entrance, via a cunningly hidden door, to goblin tunnels.  Pretty sure Tolkien didn't invent that one, either.
Jednesa
 player, 524 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 14:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa finishes tear down of the camp, thoroughly smushes out the fire pit, and brings the cart and goods over to the cave.  She sits down out side and waits pateintly, hummimg and softly singing to herself while everyone else deals with the inside.




Christine Bjorn:
Search skill...don't know anyone with that.

The troupe weighing down on us? I feel that is a reference I am missing...

OOC:  Not troupe, trope.
Trope; [A] a word or expression used in a figurative sense : FIGURE OF SPEECH
[B] a common or overused theme or device : CLICHÉ the usual horror movie tropes

Going with 'b'.  Cave, weird geometric shaped hill, pool of flammable liquid runoff from a laboratory...  either a traveling alchemist set up shop here and moved on in the last very short while, or there's a secret room and some of the alchemist's wastage is running off/seeping out into this cave.  Of course the 'secret' room could be accessible up top, around the other side, etc.

And everyone has Search, it defaults to Per at -5.  And Extra Time: Taking more time than usual gives +1 for 2x as long, +2 for 4x, +3 for 8x, +4 for 15x, or +5 for 30x as long (the maximum).

So if a 'quick' search takes Y time, then Yx30 gives you a default Search at Perception.

Or, I'm wrong, there is no secret room, someone just dumped a bunch of potions here or there's some weird alchemic brew bubbling up from below, some tigers drank it and became invisible trigers.  But my trope sense is tingling...  and we're only a hard march out of town.  An alchemist set up in a secret lab could be experimenting out here where it's "safe" and making quick trips into Northport for supplies, beer, company, to sell his wares, etc.


And yes, sorting out the pool first is a good idea.  Between you and McNealy you should have the skills and empty bottles, chemicals, etc, to either render it safe, consume it in an inferno, or bottle it.  McNealy probably wants it for study/materials and ingredients.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:38, Sun 29 Nov 2020.

Christine Bjorn
 player, 1999 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 19:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 803):

[OOC: That is why I am waiting for him to post and check it out. Otherwise, it will be up to Christine...who does have some skills, but the Alchemist is the better choice...Narrator, have we lost the player?]
Masugatan
 player, 426 posts
 street thug
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 20:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
For the time being, Masugatan helps out by keeping an eye on things outside the cave.  He doesn’t really follow Christine’s logic that they could learn about the cave by camping inside it, or that it’s safer in there with the potentially hazardous magical sludge than it is out here in the great outdoors.  But he doesn’t feel like arguing about it.  He can’t remember the last time he managed to convince anyone of anything without holding a knife to his or her throat.
Narrator
 GM, 8403 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 29 Nov 2020
at 21:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 805):

Masugatan is an intimidating figure. Keep building the skill, all he will need is a glance.


Sent Mcnealy a pm. It might be the (American) holiday weekend
McNealy
 player, 91 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 30 Nov 2020
at 01:53
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC McNealy also happens to be Balir, and I just returned from a Week's vacation.  Apologies for the bad timing on that.  Seems you guys have been waiting on me for a good few days.  Oops.

---

Since they arrived, Alchemist McNealy has been quietly testing the water with various beakers, and mixing it with select ingredients from Cookie.  Then he responds, at long last, with "I think I have it figured out."

[Private to GM: Made the Alchemy roll by 5.
18:52, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 11 using 3d6.  McNealy Alchemy 18 - 2 = 16.
]
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2000 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Mon 30 Nov 2020
at 07:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 807):

"Go on...we are itching to hear!"

[OOC: All good, I was just starting to worry!]
Masugatan
 player, 427 posts
 street thug
Mon 30 Nov 2020
at 08:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan cocks an ear and listens from outside.  He can’t wait to hear what the alchemical maestro has come up with.
Narrator
 GM, 8407 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 2 Dec 2020
at 20:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 809):

The liquid is an unstable mixture of potions,and likely very unsafe (ie random effects with a lean towards catastrophic) to drink, but actually ideal for fast brewing, giving a +2 on the roll for unstable instant brewing with a 1 hour shelf life.  Multiple potions have been oozing through the mortar.
Masugatan
 player, 428 posts
 street thug
Thu 3 Dec 2020
at 02:00
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan asks whether or not it’s dangerous just to be around it.  He’s already a teetotaler when it comes to alchemical runoff.
McNealy
 player, 92 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Thu 3 Dec 2020
at 04:05
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Without even noticing that he has done it, Alchemist McNealy pulls out a beaker from his potion belt, and raises it back halfway, as if to throw it.  Images of a massive fireball of swirling magical colors dance in his eyes, and he's almost completely immersed in the moment.

Then, he registers Masugatan's question, and almost imperceptibly shakes his head.  Looking at his throwing hand quizzically, the tradesman's eyes go wide as he registers the impulsive reaction.  He sheepishly puts the vial away in his belt, before standing up to face the rest of the group.

Slowly he raises one of the beakers he had been manipulating the liquid in, and swirls the luminescent and oily substance around in the bottom.

"This looks to me like a mixture of Janus, Salamander, and Atalanta all mixed together.  I think the darker substance might be some wizbang, but that's much harder to detect than your usual run of the mill chemicals.  I'd have to tst the alkalinity, but it would only work after a dialysis of the lighter compounds.

To address your question, I don't believe you would experience any explicit toxicity if you drank some, but the results would be unpredictable at best.  If things went really bad, then you might decompose into some drool or even crystallize.  The molality of the polymers is impossible to measure when we have this kind of entropy.

I would be very careful using magic around this area.  If we were to agitate this just right, then the combustion level might be catastrophic, although it would also be a thing of beauty the likes of which we might never see again.  That's why I initially thought a little alchemist's fire might be worth adding.

Thankfully, I think we can use it.  It won't last long, but I can make it work for a little while.  I'll need someone to walk Cookie in here so I can do some mixing.  And we want to figure out what's through that worked stone wall.  I have to assume there is a door somewhere, but if not, I can probably mix something that would get us through."


OOC  Made the impulsiveness control roll, but just barely.  This is like the greatest day of the Gnome's life.  I'm going to need to think about what he wants to brew veeeeery carefully.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2001 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Thu 3 Dec 2020
at 07:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 812):

I think you have several hours to brew. At this advice, perhaps it may be wiser to have the camp outside...

Christine will go to the side of the wall and shape the earth to open up a small corridor around the stone wall, taking her time to do so.

[Private to GM: Rolled 1 under skill, then 4 under, then 2 under, then 6 under, then critical success (12 under, natural 4), moving 1 cu yd of earth from around the wall at a time. Forming a way around the wall, or through it if possible!]
Masugatan
 player, 429 posts
 street thug
Fri 4 Dec 2020
at 00:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Less than satisfied with the alchemist’s reassurances, Masugatan heartily concurs with the idea of camping outside.  Preferably in another county.
Narrator
 GM, 8415 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 4 Dec 2020
at 18:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 813):

Christine digs out a path along the side of the wall, disvmcovers a corner and rounds it, and proceeds several yards. The opening she has made is a yard wide by two high, and is reinforced. Jednesa myight crawl sideways, but it could be very tight.
Emma Wilson
 player, 66 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Fri 4 Dec 2020
at 19:57
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 815):

Emma will move in with her light to see what is in there...cautiously.
Narrator
 GM, 8417 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 7 Dec 2020
at 17:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 816):

The passage suggests that this hill has a building under it that is at least partly rectangular abd made of stone.
It is also probably two stories high.
Emma Wilson
 player, 67 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Mon 7 Dec 2020
at 19:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 817):

Can she see stairs, doors, or any sign of the source of the potion pool?
McNealy
 player, 93 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 8 Dec 2020
at 06:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
After Cookie is brought in, the alchemist puts together a number of hoses and beakers in a very exacting way.  He pays close attention to detail, before carefully putting together some components along with a double beaker full of the magical water.

OOC It has been a while since I did all the reading, need to review the details to see how long the work will take him.  Ironically, my current show is Breaking Bad...
[Private to GM:
Double batch of Death from Magic 215. Skill is 18, -6 for something he does not know, and -1 for the potion itself.  I believe a second dose is a further -1.  That should give him a skill roll of 10.  He will take plenty of extra time, as much as seems appropriate.  If you provide me some constraints (this being our first brew) I will nail down a judgement.  I haven't seen all the gadget cooking work yet so I am looking for feedback from your side on the process, if it isn't by the book (and it almost never is).

I considered his disadvantages with this approach.  In this case his impulsiveness should be outweighed by his obsession to learn a new potion.
]
Narrator
 GM, 8420 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 8 Dec 2020
at 18:12
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The gnome draws off some of the mercurial liquid, and runs it through his set of pipets and alembics while adding enough acid and alkaline salts to titrate out a purified solution, and exposes it to a slow, steady heat...the color changes, it fizzes and...

 make that roll
McNealy
 player, 96 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 8 Dec 2020
at 18:23
Re: Seekers of the Flame
It's hard to tell, because the color change was several shades darker than he thought.  While the tradesman expected a sort of pale pink liquid for the finished product, the color was more of a burnt umber.  He didn't know at first if that was expected, but then again he was relying entirely on instincts too.  In his brain, it SHOULD work this way, but he'd never read any instructions for this particular potion either.  It was all just a theory...
[Private to GM:
I forgot to add in the +2 because the pool has innate properties that make it favorable for brewing.  With that addition, I believe he made the roll without needing luck.

11:15, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 11 using 3d6.  ALchemy 18 -6 -1 -1, add +2 because of the pool, 12.

As noted in the general discussion thread, did this use up a gadget slot?  Are these two potion doses permanent?  If so, he can do a couple more potions by using up gadgets, right?
]
Narrator
 GM, 8425 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 9 Dec 2020
at 00:56
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 821):

If we consider an hour passing,  these are field brews, stable but only worth 10% of list. If you use a Gizmo, it is a few seconds worth of brewing, but with a 24hr lifespan
McNealy
 player, 97 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Wed 9 Dec 2020
at 15:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  Thanks for the clarification.  I'll take the hour and call it a field brew.  The Alchemist doesn't care about sale value for this particular recipe.  He cares about learning the formula, and then this one has real utility for him.  Who cares if it looks like a rainbow, and smells like orange peel.

If the full hour has passed, then we have to decide if we want to go exploring or if he has the time to cook another brew.  Tradesman McNealy would definitely like to do #2, but if we're heading into the lab of an alchemist, then he might prefer to explore.

Masugatan
 player, 430 posts
 street thug
Sun 13 Dec 2020
at 10:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan whistles nervously to himself as the alchemical hijinks commence.  He hopes he doesn’t end up in a barrel.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:19, Sun 13 Dec 2020.

Valerie
 NPC, 27 posts
 Barfly
Mon 14 Dec 2020
at 19:47
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 824):

"This makes me think of a place I worked at, the cellar has a barrel of beer that wasnt vented and exploded, the next door neighbor complained his basement was flooded."
Elaina Grattan
 player, 64 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 00:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"It could be worse.  That could be a stable on the other side of the wall."
Emma Wilson
 player, 68 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 04:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Elaina Grattan (msg # 826):

What has Emma found on the other side of the wall?
Narrator
 GM, 8452 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 00:24
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 827):

From this narrow tunnel dug out around the foundation,  she has found no door. Perhaps on the far side of the hill?
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2005 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 02:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 828):

Trying to limit the entrances, but ok. Christine will rest up before moving to the outside to excavate, taking Emma with her.

[Private to GM: Rolled 4 rolls between 9 under and 5 under skill, shape earth.]
Narrator
 GM, 8463 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 03:07
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 829):

Fromthefarside,you excavte afewholesbefore you uncover a few stone steps up... into the hill.
more digging needed
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2006 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 03:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 830):

And more done, resting as required to stay above 50% energy.

[Private to GM: Rolled between 9 and 4 under skill, 7 rolls.]
Narrator
 GM, 8467 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 03:45
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 831):

You uncover an archway with an iron bande and locked door
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2007 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 04:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 832):

Which Cristine will open...

[Private to GM: Rolled 10 under Lockmaster spell.]
Evelina Grattan
 player, 135 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 10:15
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Christine, shouldn't we check first whether this is safe?  I don't just mean traps, but how many buildings can stand up to having a hill on top?"
McNealy
 player, 98 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Fri 18 Dec 2020
at 19:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC Because McNealy was cooking an hour, I am waiting for the high sign that he's done and part of the action again.
Emma Wilson
 player, 69 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Sat 19 Dec 2020
at 20:18
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 834):

"Or are they disguised as a hill? But yes, I will see if it is safe by entering. If it was going to collapse, it would have done so by now. You are welcome to join me."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 136 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 20 Dec 2020
at 10:49
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"I suppose if it were going to collapse the door would stick.  Just remember, Holy Sister and I haven't learned Christine's trick to push soil out of the way; we'd have to do it the old fashioned way -- and I don't recall seeing a shovel in the cart."
Masugatan
 player, 431 posts
 street thug
Mon 21 Dec 2020
at 19:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Tired of waiting, Masugatan joins Emma.  Anything is better than standing around until magic explodes all around you.
Valerie
 NPC, 28 posts
 Barfly
Mon 21 Dec 2020
at 21:26
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 838):

"I thi k he's done. I just saw him close the last strap on his pony."
Evelina Grattan
 player, 137 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Mon 21 Dec 2020
at 23:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Seems like whoever worked here is either pretty careless, or hasn't been here in a good while -- but in case of the former, we should be cautious, and not assume they're evil folk just because they have a workshop out here in the sticks."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:21, Mon 21 Dec 2020.

McNealy
 player, 99 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 01:21
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy approaches, as the last of his brew has been stashed on Cookie.  After listening to the discussion a moment, he adds his own perspective.  "If you want me opinion, this looks like an accident.  You have a bunch of potions all mixed together here.  I doubt this was by design.  Probably the lab exploded when someone tried to do too many potions at once, or maybe something bad got conjured by the mixture.  You can also get various types of poisons as byproducts of the mix.  We could be looking at an accidental overdose or byproduct death."

The tradesman pauses for a second, and then continues.  "Or, we could have someone who got transfigured somehow, so we could literally find just about anything in there.  Be on your guard."
Jednesa
 player, 525 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 01:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa continues sitting outside, watching the cart, and idly gazing around.




OOC:  No one has told her something is going on, which unless the 'moved earth' is being maintained is probably wise.  She might cause a cave in trying to shove through a tight earthen corridor.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2008 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 09:30
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 842):

Christine will let others know once she has opened the door, at which time she will start resting again.
Emma Wilson
 player, 70 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 09:31
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Christine Bjorn (msg # 843):

Emma will wait for Masugatan before opening the door.
McNealy
 player, 100 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 15:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
After coaching up his peers on what they might find, the tradesman looks to explore with the others.

OOC  I assume Alchemist McNealy knows about the others going through the door.  He will be right behind them, and anxious to see what's behind the door.  Usually he would be chatty, but in this moment he recognizes the need for silence.  He's doing his best...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 138 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 23:38
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters wait for the others (aside from Jednesa) to enter, then Elaina follows them in with her torch-bright tent pole sticking up and whip at the ready.  Evelina follows Elaina.

"Jednesa?  You should be able to get through this door, it's as big as the ones at the Guild."
Masugatan
 player, 432 posts
 street thug
Wed 23 Dec 2020
at 14:20
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan offers to open the door for Emma.
Emma Wilson
 player, 71 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Thu 24 Dec 2020
at 07:29
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 847):

She allows this unusual display of a Gentleman...
Narrator
 GM, 8499 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 24 Dec 2020
at 20:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 848):

Beyond the door, which lockmaster opened,  is a dim vaulted space with a stale burnt smell.
McNealy
 player, 101 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Thu 24 Dec 2020
at 21:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
He's almost falling over the people in front of him because he's anxious to see what the room holds, but Alchemist McNealy still urges caution. "be careful" he hisses.
Narrator
 GM, 8503 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 25 Dec 2020
at 14:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 850):

Given the steps up, you are pretty sure that this roomis somewhere above the cav level.

The ceiling is barrel vaulted, and the flooring is large and smooth regular flagstones. A backed bench with a mirror and coat rack is to one side,  with a pair of boots under the bench, and a heavy cloak hanging from one of the hooks.
To the other side is a small door, and straight ahead is a pair of arched double doors.

There are sconces with small jars set in them, and a pair of chandeliers on either side of the large doors, also set with small jars instead of candles.
Evelina Grattan
 player, 139 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Fri 25 Dec 2020
at 16:10
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The sisters hang back, letting the little alchemist precede them.  As before, Evelina goes first, with Elaina following a few paces behind.
McNealy
 player, 102 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Sun 27 Dec 2020
at 16:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
McNealy's eyes narrow, and he appraises the room.  This was meant to be the main entrance to something.  How the door they came in came to be buried was a mystery.  As the Tradesman walks over to examine the sconces, he waves the ladies over at the cloak and boots.  During examination of the sconces, he murmurs "lightbombs..." to himself.

OOC  The previous inhabitant probably used alchemical light to illuminate the room.  Alchemist McNealy will verify that via examination, and then proceed to do the same with the chandeliers.

It doesn't look like there is anything resembling a workspace here, so the next step would be a general examination of the room.

Narrator
 GM, 8510 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sun 27 Dec 2020
at 19:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 853):

The sconces contain stoppered vials of a solution long since settled into layers. Perhaps it can be emulsified into a stable solution
Evelina Grattan
 player, 140 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Sun 27 Dec 2020
at 23:40
Re: Seekers of the Flame
With the first wave inside, the sisters enter, and move toward the coat rack where McNealy directed them, partly to clear the doorway for Jednesa if she wishes to enter.

"Holy Sister, would you go out and leave your boots and cloak on the rack?  I think it's likely the proprietor was trapped here when the building was buried in earth, and likely died somewhere inside.  We should be on the lookout for a walker."
Jednesa
 player, 526 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Mon 28 Dec 2020
at 05:36
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Jednesa was still outside.  By this time she had stripped off her harness and poncho, and stowed them in the wagon.  Fashioned a lanyard out of rope to drag her "handaxe" behind her and is now crouching by the small entrance Christine magically carved out, reaching in to feel the wall, making sure it's good and solid, and getting a feel for how best to squeeze through.

She then begins to slowly crawl down the tunnel.



OOC:  One quarter movement rate if it matters.

00:31, Today: Jednesa rolled 9 using 3d6.  Escape (Tight Spaces) 15 (Skill 14 + 1 Taking twice as long to proceed).

McNealy
 player, 103 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 28 Dec 2020
at 17:51
Re: Seekers of the Flame
After some examination of the fluid in the sconces, both to identify the components and asses the alchemical properties, Tradesman McNealy states "I think that this may collidify with the proper agitation.  Let me see if I can reactivate the alchemical properties with the proper handling."

OOC Proceed carefully, as appropriate based on the age and settling.

[Private to GM: With extra time, he may have critted the roll.  Although i think the rule of 16 applies, so maybe not.
10:50, Today: Secret Roll: McNealy rolled 8 using 3d6.  McNealy general Alchemy roll, 18.
]
Elaina Grattan
 player, 65 posts
 Holy Sister of the
 Frog God Cult
Mon 28 Dec 2020
at 22:50
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Um, Alchemist?  What's likely to happen if that goes wrong a bit?  After all, we don't need the light, we've got plenty of magical lights."
McNealy
 player, 104 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Mon 28 Dec 2020
at 23:25
Re: Seekers of the Flame
The tradesman responds offhand, in a rather distracted manner.  "It's nothing I can't handle.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Trust me, if you need to worry, I'll tell you."
Masugatan
 player, 433 posts
 street thug
Tue 29 Dec 2020
at 02:22
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan checks out the coat, especially the pockets.  Then he looks the boots over.
Emma Wilson
 player, 72 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Tue 29 Dec 2020
at 06:16
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 853):

Emma will keep concentrating on her light spell, and move it in ahead of them.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2009 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Tue 29 Dec 2020
at 06:17
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 861):

Christine will wait outside with Jednessa, to assist in guard duty and recover her strength, but if Sparky is still around, she will direct him to go and assist the others, under Emma's instructions.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:17, Tue 29 Dec 2020.

Narrator
 GM, 8518 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 29 Dec 2020
at 19:02
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 860):

The boots are well made, and the cloak, which looks warm and comfortable  has a key in the pocket.


Jednesa has gone into the cave entrance...

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:03, Tue 29 Dec 2020.

Masugatan
 player, 434 posts
 street thug
Sat 2 Jan 2021
at 22:37
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan examines the key.
Narrator
 GM, 8534 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 18:11
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Masugatan (msg # 864):

The key looks like it might go to the front door that Christine magicked. The clak seems to be warm.
Emma Wilson
 player, 73 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 20:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 865):

Emma will try the coat on. She likes warm...
Evelina Grattan
 player, 142 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 00:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Magical cloak, Emma?  I'd expect that of a wizard, but I'd have thought an alchemist would have potions for that."
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2012 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 13:08
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 867):

"Perhaps it protects against unexpected side effects...I imagine an alchemist would have use of that!"
Narrator
 GM, 8541 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 20:52
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Evelina Grattan (msg # 867):

The cloakbrings with it a comfortable sensation of warmth.
Emma Wilson
 player, 74 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 23:27
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Narrator (msg # 869):

A worshipper of the Sun god, Emma immediately feels like her God is giving her a cuddle...and likes the cloak! She continues on...
Narrator
 GM, 8543 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 19:39
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 870):

The boots remain...
Masugatan
 player, 435 posts
 street thug
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 23:14
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan holds the key up and grins cockily, pointing at the door.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:15, Wed 06 Jan.

Evelina Grattan
 player, 143 posts
 Queen of Frog God Cult
 And don't you forget it!
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 23:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
"Wouldn't it be prudent to be sure the owner isn't still here, or better yet no longer in need of them, before helping ourselves to his or her possessions?"
McNealy
 player, 106 posts
 Gnome Alchemist
 10/10 hp 11/11 f
Thu 7 Jan 2021
at 00:59
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC  How is the attempt at the light source going.  Any sign of life?  Any agitation to be had?
Emma Wilson
 player, 75 posts
 Priestess of Helios
 HP: 10/10, FP: 9/11
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 11:55
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to McNealy (msg # 874):

Emma has a light spell active. She examines the boots...
Narrator
 GM, 8550 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 8 Jan 2021
at 18:44
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Emma Wilson (msg # 875):

McNealy shakes a vial, and it begins to glow.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:56, Mon 11 Jan.

Jednesa
 player, 527 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Sat 9 Jan 2021
at 19:33
Re: Seekers of the Flame
OOC:  Let me know when Jednesa has crawled her way into the coat room.
Masugatan
 player, 436 posts
 street thug
Mon 11 Jan 2021
at 05:06
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Masugatan’s smiles departs as he sees what McNealy’s doing.
Narrator
 GM, 8556 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 11 Jan 2021
at 18:58
Re: Seekers of the Flame
In reply to Jednesa (msg # 877):

Jednesa finds herself in a cul de sac, and can either back out or dig forward.

(The others had abandoned the tunnel, and dug out the front entrance instead)
Jednesa
 player, 528 posts
 Naked Barbarian Ogress
 HP:27/36 FP:13/13
Tue 12 Jan 2021
at 06:11
Re: Seekers of the Flame
Narrator:
(The others had abandoned the tunnel, and dug out the front entrance instead)

OOC:  That's where she was going, the dirt tunnel Christine had dug.  It's why she was being extra careful with the earthen wall.
Christine Bjorn
 player, 2014 posts
 Blue Haired Elf
 HP: 9/9, FP: 10/15
Wed 13 Jan 2021
at 00:10