Against the Mageguild   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 7391 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 16:06
Against the Mageguild
Madeline has recruited a team to interfere with an approaching group of a agents from the Imperial Mageguild.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 430 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 22:20
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 1):

Reanna is keen, and approaches to discuss the details. Payment, target, options...
Aegis
 player, 283 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 23:36
Against the Mageguild
Aegis tags along, if only to find out how much he would be paid, compared to the effort and time investment that came along with the job.
Madeline
 player, 95 posts
 Barmaid
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 20:31
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 3):

"A client arranged for an item to be transported by my boss. To our great surprise, the item turns out to have been stolen! Apparently,  the imperial Mageguild was offended by this. Our client um, disabled their representative, but it is highly likely that they will send a team to investigate,  and they may be able to identify all involved., including my boss, who had no idea that what he was doing could have incurred  their suspicion.
Naturally,  there are several parties, including Spielgud the mage, who would prefer not to have any outside involvement  occur. Collectively, they have assembled a small purse of gold for any capable of , ahem, permanantly disrupting a Mageguild inquiry. "

Reanna Draegan
 player, 431 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 20:52
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Madeline (msg # 4):

"Tell me about these representatives. Who are they, and what are they capable of? Where are they staying?"
Madeline
 player, 96 posts
 Barmaid
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:01
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 5):

"They have yetbto arrive, and we would rather they didnt. They travel with red clad warriors, and are guaranteed to have mages amongst them."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:16, Mon 10 Feb.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 432 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:07
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Madeline (msg # 6):

"Can you describe the escorts, and the agents themselves?"
Aegis
 player, 284 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 16:32
Against the Mageguild
Aegis sits off to the side as this discussion takes place.  He has ale in his hand to drink, and some coins to flip in the air.  That is enough for him.  He doesn't need to know any more than that.  When it comes right down to it, someone will tell him what to kill.  He doesn't need to track all those painful details.  Not that he could, anyway, in his slightly inebriated state.  Still, he'll at least try to listen in, so he has a general idea of what's going on.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 189 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 00:43
Against the Mageguild
“It would be most unfortunate if these meddling magic-users were to suffer a natural disaster in the woods.  Say, a sudden tornado.  You never know where one will turn up, especially when I’m around.”
Reanna Draegan
 player, 433 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 01:09
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 9):

"We need to make sure the right guys have accidents though."
Madeline
 player, 97 posts
 Barmaid
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 03:57
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 10):

"Their brutes and agents wear red, the ones who cast spells wear more colors, orange, yellow, green. I don't know a lot more about them, except that their device is a pentacle with something latin written around them."






Edit it is something Christine would have recognized, had she been here.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:27, Wed 12 Feb.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 434 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 04:03
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Madeline (msg # 11):

Deanna does not recognize it.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 190 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 19:06
Against the Mageguild
"Pentacles with LATIN inscribed around them?  That is so tacky!  Where did they get those, the one copper bin at the magical surplus store?"

I'll bet the Latin isn't even correct, he adds in thought.
Dilandua
 player, 1 post
 Shadow Elf
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 03:16
Against the Mageguild
There is a subdued knock and a slight figure in leathers slides into the room.

"Miss Madeline... I could not help to overhear... there is a mission... to kill people.  I would like to join."
Reanna Draegan
 player, 435 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 03:39
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 14):

"Hmmm, who are you exactly?"
Dilandua
 player, 2 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 03:52
Against the Mageguild
"Dilandua."
Reanna Draegan
 player, 436 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 05:32
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 16):

"Never heard of you. What do you do?"
Dilandua
 player, 3 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 11:08
Against the Mageguild
"I kill people.  By stabbing them with spears.  I am quiet and can move unnoticed."
Reanna Draegan
 player, 437 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 11:24
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 18):

"Good. I was worried you were after my job for a minute...but I use crossbow and staff. Stealth is always useful."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:25, Thu 13 Feb.

Aegis
 player, 285 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 15:25
Against the Mageguild
After a loud belch, Aegis stands up.  He's a little wobbly due to his inebriated state, but flatly states "Aegis, bowman" before sitting back down heavily.  His unsteady feet are balanced out by how quickly the mug of ale is back in his hand.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 191 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 23:53
Against the Mageguild
“You enjoy killing people?  You don’t say, Dilandua!  What an astonishing coincidence.  So do I!  Maybe we should hang out.”

This message was last edited by the player at 23:54, Thu 13 Feb.

Dilandua
 player, 4 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 00:32
Against the Mageguild
"I don't like killing.  Just good at it.  Murder is a sin."
Reanna Draegan
 player, 438 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 01:46
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 22):

"So we have myself, a scout, Dilandua, a spearwoman, Dne, our magical protection, and Aegis, our swordsman. We are out to deal with a bunch of mages in multi-coloured coats escorted by brutes in red. Madeline, do we have any idea of numbers? Should we get a healer, or is that superfluous?"

[OOC: This sounds like a job for Gareth too! Seedy, questionable morality, dealing with mages who like to tell him what to do...but no, all my mages are busy, so I will send in the thief!]
Aegis
 player, 286 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 02:37
Against the Mageguild
Aegis scoffs at the previous comment.  "Pffff.  A sin.  Only da rigteous speek dat way.  And dey er no bettuh dan da rest uv us. Itz a lie."
Dne Utrotare
 player, 192 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 22:32
Against the Mageguild
“What the sparrow calls murder, the owl calls justice.  While the eagle calls it dinner.”

Dne suddenly stops speaking, as though concerned he is giving away too much free profundity.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:33, Fri 14 Feb.

Dilandua
 player, 5 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 02:05
Against the Mageguild
"A healer may be useful.  Unless our foes are few, being overwhelmed by a counter-attack is assured."
Reanna Draegan
 player, 439 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 02:39
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 26):

She looks to Madeline.

"Don't suppose you know of any that serve gods that are not opposed to this kind of work?"
Aegis
 player, 287 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 19:44
Against the Mageguild
Aegis looks up from his ale and states "I gots no use fer godz.  Jus da healin."
Narrator
 GM, 7423 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 19:12
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 28):

Oof

Waiting on the other group to pick their healer, the other comes to you to work with you. One is a social justice cleric that dislikes elitist organizations, the other is an unlicensed alchemist.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 440 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 19:27
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 29):

The former sounds good, as long as she does not mind assassinations...
Aegis
 player, 288 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 20:23
Against the Mageguild
OOC I have played with alchemists and herbologists before, but it's almost a black box unto itself.  I might consider one down the road sometime.  Might even consider the one you wrote up if they go with the other group.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:09, Tue 18 Feb.

Dne Utrotare
 player, 193 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 21:44
Against the Mageguild
OOC: I’m okay with the social justice cleric, provided he/she/it leaves my video games alone.
Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 5 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 18:32
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 31):

A black robed woman with a staff and a goat's head amulet descends the stairs. Muttering about frogs.

She is too concerned about the rights of serfs and the improperly indentured to be concerned with your choice in media.

Aegis, if you want Mcnealy, pm me.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 441 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 23:41
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 33):

"Ah, and who might you be?"
Dne Utrotare
 player, 194 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 23:48
Against the Mageguild
“Ooh... nice amulet!  Wish I had a nest full of those.”

OOC:

quote:
She is too concerned about the rights of serfs and the improperly indentured to be concerned with your choice in media.


Lol!

This message was last edited by the player at 23:49, Thu 20 Feb.

Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 6 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Fri 21 Feb 2020
at 22:36
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 34):

"I am Acolyite Abernathy, of the church of Vejovis the just, and a humble recipient of the gift of healing"
Reanna Draegan
 player, 442 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 11:38
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 36):

"Do you have any objection to healing folk who might be forced to kill for financial reasons?" she asked cautiously.
Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 7 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 15:56
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 37):

"Usually people with enough money to merit a crowd this large have a history of exploiting the working class. Where do these get their coin?"
Reanna Draegan
 player, 443 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 19:24
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 38):

"The Mageguild? Good question, but I am not sure I want to know the answer..."
Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 8 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Sun 23 Feb 2020
at 21:02
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 39):

"Oh, I know about them. They want to put a monopoly on spellcasting, and set the prices above what the common people can pay, all while criminalizing traditional hedgewizards who cannot afford their schools and want to train their own apprentices. Yeah, screw those guys."
Dne Utrotare
 player, 195 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 00:46
Against the Mageguild
"Yeah, screw 'em!"  Dne lets out a hawk-like cry of agreement.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 444 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 07:16
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 41):

"Then you would not mind joining us to, ahem, encourage a group of mage enforcers and their meatheads to piss off and leave our client alone? You can kill any frogs you see too, as far as I am concerned..."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:16, Mon 24 Feb.

Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 9 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Mon 24 Feb 2020
at 21:52
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 42):

"Why would I kill frogs, except to eat?"
Reanna Draegan
 player, 445 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Tue 25 Feb 2020
at 01:51
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 43):

"Not sure. You just did not seem fond of frogs as you arrived..."
Dne Utrotare
 player, 196 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 02:15
Against the Mageguild
“I would be honored to join you, in exchange for an equal share of the well-gotten gains.”

It’ll buy a lot of bird seed, he thinks in the voice of a man known in other dimensions as Humphrey Bogart.
Dilandua
 player, 7 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 02:40
Against the Mageguild
"What is the pay?  How far away is the mission area?"
Reanna Draegan
 player, 446 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 05:52
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 46):

"We have been told there is a purse of gold, but nothing specific. Knowing that would help. We are told they are on their way to Northport, so we only need to travel as far as we decide to."
Dilandua
 player, 8 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 11:37
Against the Mageguild
Dilandua stops looking at Madeline and turns to Reanna, "How much is a 'small purse', is it one purse or per person.  From what direction and by what conveyance do they travel?"
Reanna Draegan
 player, 447 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 19:33
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 48):

Reanna simply turns to Madeline.

"Good questions. Madeline?"
Aegis
 player, 290 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Wed 26 Feb 2020
at 19:46
Against the Mageguild
Even inebriated as he was, Aegis recognizes this as a significant question.  He hadn't cared much about the previous discussion, since he was the hired help.  It was his job to kill who and what he was told to, and beyond that he didn't much care.  The money, however, that meant something.  It takes an effort to pull his eyes away from the bodices and female rumps in the room, but Aegis is successful in doing so.  With a loud belch, he turns to listen more intently to the conversation.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 197 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 00:19
Against the Mageguild
Dne approaches Aegis and asks him to open his mouth.
Aegis
 player, 291 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 00:30
Against the Mageguild
Aegis regards Dne with a look that could be mistaken for malicious.  With a bit of a scowl, he'll respond "Sur, if ya cin put down uh tankerd uv ale.  Den I'z will."

His words aren't too slurred, so Dne can probably make out what he was saying.

OOC If Dne wants to chug down an ale, then Aegis will give it a try.  That's what carousing is all about.  Communal stupidity, promoted by alcohol.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 198 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 07:39
Against the Mageguild
Sure, he’ll chug down the ale, in spite of the constraints imposed by his bird mask.  Do you open your mouth now?
Aegis
 player, 292 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 15:39
Against the Mageguild
Aegis will open his mouth, after seeing that Dne followed through on his part of the bargain.

OOC I have a very bad feeling about this...
Dne Utrotare
 player, 199 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 02:12
Against the Mageguild
Staring down his throat, Dne shouts, “ANYBODY DOWN THERE?”
Aegis
 player, 293 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 16:04
Against the Mageguild
Aegis belches right in Dne's face.  Loudly, and it smells pungently of ale, combined with his lunch (sauerkraut and beets).

He then closes his mouth long enough to swallow a bit of bile, and washes it down with more ale.

"Would you like another round, birdbrain?"
Madeline
 player, 98 posts
 Barmaid
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 17:59
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 49):

The ogrekin's agent shakes her head at this tomfoolery.
"If the targets are unable to investigate, the payout is $100 gold coins (8k) plus whatever goods you retrieve."


Keep in mind a days pay is only $120
Dilandua
 player, 9 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 20:06
Against the Mageguild
"What direction do they travel from?  How long have they been traveling?  When are they expected to arrive?"
Madeline
 player, 99 posts
 Barmaid
Fri 28 Feb 2020
at 20:57
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 58):

"The local rep was incapacitated four days ago, and we suspect there was dsily communication... so three days from the capitol, some two weeks away, presumably they will pass through Sonne, which tends to be receptive to them, as they keep any diabolism quiet."
Dilandua
 player, 10 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 29 Feb 2020
at 00:04
Against the Mageguild
"Two weeks until they get here?  Long time to wait on them."
Dne Utrotare
 player, 201 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sun 1 Mar 2020
at 05:25
Against the Mageguild
Dne seems puzzled that no one responds from the bottom of Aegis’s stomach.  He returns his attention to the matter at hand.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 448 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Mon 2 Mar 2020
at 04:29
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 60):

Deanna fails to hide her disgust at the behavior of some.

"Perhaps the extra time is a bonus, allowing us to reduce their numbers on the way. Pay sounds acceptable, but do we have evidence of our employees for the guild, in case of a double cross?"
Aegis
 player, 294 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Mon 2 Mar 2020
at 16:04
Against the Mageguild
Aegis is confused at Dne's behavior, but instead of saying anything to the birdman he instead says flatly "Smrt" to Reanna.

OOC Any Simpsons reference is a win.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 202 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 03:01
Against the Mageguild
“I would be amazed if the guild didn’t do everything it can to maintain plausible deniability, in case things go wrong.  No doubt, we are to be considered expendable.”
Aegis
 player, 295 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 15:58
Against the Mageguild
Aegis orders a round for everyone at the table, whether they wanted it or not.

He tries to pat the barmaid on the rump as she walks by, but misses, and gets a glare for his trouble.
Dilandua
 player, 11 posts
 Shadow Elf
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 21:47
Against the Mageguild
"Thank you.  I will join you for a round, but I cannot drink too much, the Architect requires the worker's minds clear and hands steady."

Dilandua partakes, but not heavily.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 22:13, Tue 03 Mar.

Aegis
 player, 296 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 21:57
Against the Mageguild
Aegis comments "Ben expdble me whol leef.  Nutin new.  Wemon, wurk, all da same."

He washes the sad comment down with a large swig of ale, seemingly oblivious to the deeper context.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 203 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 02:49
Against the Mageguild
There are two types of people in this world, Dne thinks.  Those who are expendable, and those who can walk on air.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 449 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 05:38
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 68):

Deanna drinks the bare minimum to be social.

"Now that we know who and where, I would like to start planning. What supplies do we need?"
Dne Utrotare
 player, 204 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 01:22
Against the Mageguild
“Water is nice, for starters.  I’m a big fan of it.”

This message was last edited by the player at 01:23, Thu 05 Mar.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 450 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 01:45
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 69):

"Food, water and shelter. Yes, how many of us are there, in total? And how many days are we planning for? How far to the nearest town before we meet them?"
Madeline
 player, 100 posts
 Barmaid
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 21:34
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 71):

"This is strictly not a guild operation, more of a friend of a friend situation. Anything more about them, you might ask Spielgud, as he as some acquaintance with the client, and as a wiz who teaches spells to anyone with coin, it would be safe to say that he has a dog in this fight."
Aegis
 player, 297 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 21:40
Against the Mageguild
Aegis is paying at least some attention to this, although he has taken to flipping his knife in the air to see if he can land it point first in the table.  Only when the barkeeper is not paying attention.

OOC  This guy must be a good ballplayer.  Is that how he got the name "Spielgud"?
If he's a fan of Guns and Roses, can we call him "Dr. Spielgud"?
Can we assume he plays well with others?

And, is this earning Aegis another quirk or disad...?

Dilandua
 player, 12 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 00:01
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis:
OOC  This guy must be a good ballplayer.  Is that how he got the name "Spielgud"?
If he's a fan of Guns and Roses, can we call him "Dr. Spielgud"?
Can we assume he plays well with others?

And, is this earning Aegis another quirk or disad...?

OOC:  He is good at magic which is why his name is 'Spell Good'.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 205 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 09:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC: Wouldn’t that be more appropriate for a Motley Crue fan?
Aegis
 player, 298 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 15:56
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC I stand corrected, you are correct.  And in German, spiel is "play".
Dilandua
 player, 13 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 18:57
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis:
OOC I stand corrected, you are correct.  And in German, spiel is "play".

OOC:  Well... it's not supposed to be German, otherwise it'd be Gutzauber.  It was just supposed to 'sound' like Spell Good.  Though why gwythaint choose 'spiel' I do not know... unless gwythaint meant his name to be "Good Game" and I've just been wrong the last 6 years...

Amusing that Spiel Gud in Swedish is Play God.  Maybe gwythanint is trying to tell us something about Dr Speilgud...  after all gwythaint is in the medical field and interacts with people who have to play god all the time...

THAT'S IT!  I'm blaming Aegis for this rabbit hole I've fallen down!

Aegis
 player, 299 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 20:55
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Aegis is a rat hole by himself.  What did Bruce Banner say in The Avengers...?  "You can smell the crazy on him."
Narrator
 GM, 7496 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 21:45
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 78):

I was going for "Spell Good". never mind my spelling. Sometimes I have a deeper reason for things, but Spielgud the Enchanter was an NPC I wrote in 2002 for the first version of this game over on playbyweb.  There wasn't much deep thought about it, and I had just been reading some Harry Potter; the guild badges track on a version of the Marauder's Map that he owns; the serial numbers at least... usually McCain has to be near with the register ledger to look up who they belong to, and Camilla with Bellarius to pull their file. Back then I had three sub dungeons below the guild that had movable walls to make a new proficiency run every month.  Usually there was heavy betting on these runs based on who was in what group. The kobolds (like house elves---> tucker's kobolds) revolted and started making the dummy traps lethal, (usually the adventuring parties were observed by guild admins who would flag them for simulated wounds, and the indentured workers and undead would have padded weapons dipped in chalk that would show a hit) The revolt was discovered when all of the kobolds badges were spotted in one corner of the map, because they took them off, and also one party was contacted to enter another area outside of their run to find a spellcaster who accidentally teleported into a pit trap by casting Whimsy.
Dilandua
 player, 14 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 22:17
Re: Against the Mageguild
Narrator:
I was going for "Spell Good"...

OOC:  Reanna had questions in msg #71 that I think were aimed at Madeline.  Is Madeline ignoring those questions or is she just several questions behind in answering?
Madeline
 player, 101 posts
 Barmaid
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 23:21
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Madeline (msg # 72):

"I don't know if they are walking or riding, so I couldn't say which town you are likely to intercept them at, although I would suspect Saint Remy as a likely place, as it is they have a small shop there where they might stop. Theat is about a week out."
Dilandua
 player, 15 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 01:16
Against the Mageguild
"If we hire a pony or two to carry gear and we press hard, we might be able to get to Saint Remy a few days before them and have time to prepare a proper ambush just outside of town."

Dilandua looks over Reanna, Aegis, and Dne...  "If this group is capable of pressing hard."


Dilandua turns to Madeline, "Is there an advance on this bag of gold?"
Vilgar
 NPC, 99 posts
 fight organizer
 for disorganized fighters
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 03:42
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 82):

The large brutish fellow she had been speaking to previously steps away from a table of hobgoblins and orcs, and advances.
"I am Vilgar. Mads is my agent. I represent the client, and can forward you some coin. Of course, I will have someone cut your hands off if you try to return here after taking the coin and fail to deliver. Of course, Dilandua, your people recommend you, so I will make an advance."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:21, Wed 11 Mar.

Dilandua
 player, 16 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 05:05
Against the Mageguild
"I accept those terms."
Reanna Draegan
 player, 451 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 05:50
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 84):

"I agree to those terms as well. A quick trip to St Remy sounds like an excellent idea. Lets get moving, as long as the slow old men don't slow us down!"
Aegis
 player, 300 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 18:43
Against the Mageguild
Aegis quickly chugs his last ale.  Then any remaining ales left behind by others in their group preparing to leave.  No sense wasting good ale.  Or even the mediocre fare here.

Then he stands, following the lead of the others, and tosses coin on the table to cover the rest of his tab, plus a bit for the wench.

OOC Not tracking the amount he spend on drink.  Might be negligible, or you might have a dollar figure.  Either is fine, send it my way and I will update his sheet as necessary.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 206 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 23:24
Against the Mageguild
Dne climbs six inches off the floor and prepares to boogie.  He's ready!
Narrator
 GM, 7506 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 02:25
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 86):

Compulsive carousing runs about 20% extra a week, but gets you three carousing rolls, which may produce useful rumors.

The ogrekin passes over a purse of 20 gold ($1600)
Dne Utrotare
 player, 207 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 03:03
Against the Mageguild
Barely paying any attention to the gold, Dne does a little bird dance from six inches off the floor.  He's feeling hyperactive these days.
Dilandua
 player, 17 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 05:19
Against the Mageguild
Dilandua accepts the purse, gives it quick look over, "This might stretch to cover a pack mule, tent and one week's food for us all..."



OOC:  Narrator, is there anyway for us to 'steal a march" on our targets and get there before them (with time to properly set up an ambush, so like two-three days before them), or are we moving at the speed of plot and will get there when you want us to get there?
Reanna Draegan
 player, 452 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 08:31
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 90):

Saddle Horse, ST 21, BL: 88 lbs, $1,200

Bridle            $10   2 lbs
Halter             $5   1.5 lbs
Blanket           $25   2.5 lbs
Horseshoes        $50   4 lbs

Legionaries Tent    $225, 45 lbs, Sleeps 8
Group Basics        $50, 20 bs
Bag of Fodder       $50, 50 lbs


Total $1,615, 125 lbs
Dilandua
 player, 18 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 10:22
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
Total $1,615, 125 lbs

OOC:  I don't see food or water for four people for 7 days on that list.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 453 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 10:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 92):

Nope. BYO, of go in together for a bulk discount. A 6 gal barrel will cost $124, and Rations cost $2 per person per day. Reanna has $620 she can loan, but she would want it back, with some interest given there is risk involved here...

This message was last edited by the player at 10:41, Wed 11 Mar.

Dilandua
 player, 19 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 18:18
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
Nope. BYO, of go in together for a bulk discount. A 6 gal barrel will cost $124, and Rations cost $2 per person per day. Reanna has $620 she can loan, but she would want it back, with some interest given there is risk involved here...

OOC:  Be happy to go that way, just waiting to see if it matters or not (if we're moving at the speed of plot, we can just and skip the horse).  If it matters, I'd be fine oweing you a couple of hundred for food.

Dne Utrotare
 player, 208 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 13:12
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne puts in a request for seeds and fresh worms.  He's heard they tend to slow down the plot some, which may be to our advantage.
Aegis
 player, 301 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 15:13
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis, because he's a self-centered jerkwad, will ignore all the preparations and expect his food to magically show up in the group provisions.  He's too busy drinking and enjoying the ladies of the evening to really care much about the organization part.  He will pay his fair share though.
Narrator
 GM, 7519 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 11:49
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 91):

A small mule costs $1000, has a BL of 65 and 18 ST. I don't know as you would be hauling much more than that, and it would free loot for rations.

We are travelling by speed of plot; for each defaulted hiking roll that succeeds, you gain a day, and lose one on a failure, gain two on a crit success.  If anyone has land navigation, a good roll adds +1 to the roll,
Rolls will be made three times, survival rolls to find campsites.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 209 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 16:38
Against the Mageguild
OOC: Could I roll versus scrounging instead of survival (which I don’t have)?
Aegis
 player, 302 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 19:06
Against the Mageguild
OOC Aegis has no outdoor skills of any sort.  He will expect the rest of the group to take care of those boring details.
Dilandua
 player, 20 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 20:42
Re: Against the Mageguild
Narrator:
We are travelling by speed of plot...

So, once again, Movement rates have no bearing on how fast we can get there*?  But somehow skill does?  (Not that the party as a whole is likely to break BM 4, but I was hoping that being able to easily scout ahead and begin preparing a site each day might save us some time.  Dilandua has a Move of 11 after all.)


* Which I was fine with in the Abbey mission as time was "not of the essence".  But here... even with a failure on my Hiking and being Medium Encumbered, Dilandua can easily outpace the group if they had No Encumbrance.  I kinda think this needs to be accounted for, in other words... even a Critical Failure on a Hiking roll (taking three times as long to travel) still probably puts Dilandua above the lowest group member's Move).


quote:
for each defaulted hiking roll that succeeds, you gain a day, and lose one on a failure, gain two on a crit success.

Do those of us who do not have defaulted Hiking get a pass on this roll?  Is everyone rolling, or are these group rolls?

Why are you deviating so vastly from DF rules on land movement?  I get making things 'simpler', but standard Hiking penalty (and success) is max -10%/+20% travel time... not ±50% or +100%.


quote:
...survival rolls to find campsites.

If I can get full Move, and thus scout ahead, and take all the Extra Time, Dilandua has a default Survival of 10, so expect to be down some FP when we get there (unless one of the other city types has Survival (Type) better than a 10)...

And are you using the DF camping rules or something else?  If you are using the DF rules, we can at least forgo the loss of FP (unless our camp finder critically fails).



Aegis:
OOC Aegis has no outdoor skills of any sort.  He will expect the rest of the group to take care of those boring details.

Considering I'm about to suggest we split the money and purchase individual supplies...  Aegis might want to suddenly learn a modicum of self-sufficiency.  ;)
Reanna Draegan
 player, 454 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 21:54
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 100):

Reanna has no hiking or survival skills either, though with a move of 7 she is not tardy. Still I think a saddle horse might be better than a mule as it has a higher basic BL for just $200 more, and can probably eat similar fare. Group Basics and group tent are much better than individual ones. Far cheaper. Food and water can be individual, but we can put packs on the horse...
Narrator
 GM, 7531 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 18:51
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 100):

Sorry, i was trying to oversimplify things. I have DF 17 (or 16? Wilderness) but was  on the train while trying to post.
I was looking at the slowest speed as the effective, which is mv4. Definitely,  you could advannce and scout for a better place, and even get to town ahead of everyone.

I will review and cut/paste the travel rules to be clear, probs tomorrow.

Scrounging finds objects. Survival both finds food, and campsites.
Dilandua
 player, 21 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 14 Mar 2020
at 23:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
Narrator:
Sorry, i was trying to oversimplify things.

No worries.



Reanna, Aegis, Dne, what is your Move and Encumbrance when carrying your minimum combat outfit?  How much extra could you carry and still be at that Move?

How much at your next Encumbrance level (and what are your rates)?

(I'm trying to figure out if we need to bother with a pack animal or if that's an expense we can skip.)


For example:

Dilandua, minimal fighting gear: Light Enc, Move 8.8.  Up to 5 more pounds (elves are weak).
Medium Enc, Move 6.6.  Can carry up to 13 more pounds (what noodly little arms they've got).

Reanna Draegan
 player, 455 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 03:14
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 103):

If I can dump my Quarterstaff and pack, I am moving at 7, which would be my preference. Down to 5 if i pick up the quarterstaff though.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 210 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 16:50
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC: Dne’s basic move is 4.75 and he has six pounds to go before he’s lightly encumbered.
Narrator
 GM, 7545 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 19:50
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 105):

Lets calculate how fast the slowest person is at light encumbrance,  (which should be the slowest dpeed of the group) and gear the others to match.
Dilandua
 player, 22 posts
 Shadow Elf
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 20:42
Re: Against the Mageguild
Narrator:
Lets calculate how fast the slowest person is at light encumbrance...

At Light Enc, Dilandua Moves at 8.8.
Aegis
 player, 303 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Tue 17 Mar 2020
at 20:43
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC I owe the GM a few things.  Will try to fire up the computer this evening and get some of that done, including this.  Aegis needs equipment for the trip, mostly food.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 211 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 03:29
Re: Against the Mageguild
Since you drop all fractions, my move at light encumbrance would be 3(?).  Fortunately, I’m not that encumbered.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 456 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 06:37
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 109):

Reanna at light encumbrance is at move 5.
Aegis
 player, 304 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 15:43
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC I started looking at Aegis, and just his weapons have him almost at BL.  Most of his armor isn't even weighted, so I need to refer back to the books and add in that information.  He will probably need some significant adjustment to get the equipment managed.  His move starts at 7, so I would guess he should be no lower than a 5 once it's all said and done.
Narrator
 GM, 7553 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 17:56
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 111):

This all idicates that Dne would be moving at 4 as is, which makes the slowest speed of the group.
Aegis
 player, 305 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 19:25
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  How big is Dne?  Flight?  Carry-able?
Aegis
 player, 306 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 02:17
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Aegis will be at medium encumbrance during normal travel.  When carrying his backpack he will move 5.  At the first sign of trouble he'll drop his backpack, and then move at 6.

He has 12 rations already in his pack, and a canteen for water.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:18, Thu 19 Mar.

Dne Utrotare
 player, 212 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 02:43
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis:
OOC  How big is Dne?  Flight?  Carry-able?


OOC: In spite of his demonic-sounding voice and bird-like pretensions, Dne is just a man carrying 34 lbs. of equipment.  He walks on air but cannot fly.
Dilandua
 player, 23 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 04:35
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC:  Based on Dne's Move of 4 at Light Encumbrance, I (the Player) recommend the following:

Mule, $1000
Bridle and Bit, $35, 3 lbs.
Saddlebags, Hold 40 lbs. $100, 3 lbs.
Group Basics, $50, 20 lbs.
Barrel. Holds 5 gallons of liquid (40 lbs. if water). DR 1, HP 11. $65, 20 lbs.
Fodder, 20 meals*, $40, 10 lbs.
Rope, 20yds, supports 300lbs, $10, 3lbs.

Total cost:  $1300

This gives us each $75 to equip with.  If people want to go in for two-man or group tents, y'all have at it, Dilandua prefers a personal tent.



* It requires a successful Naturalist or Survival to be able to have the pack animals graze during downtime... so I figure we best expect to feed the beast for most of the way there and acquire fodder for the return trip once there.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 457 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 07:45
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 116):

For whatever we get, we should get the following:

Bridle            $10   2 lbs
Halter             $5   1.5 lbs     The best way to tie the animal up
Blanket           $25   2.5 lbs     To avoid wear
Horseshoes        $50   4 lbs       To avoid becoming lame on a long trip.

Small mules worth $1000,

Lift Capacity  <65   <130   <195   <390   <650
Move            8      6      4      3      1
Dodge           8      7      6      5      4


Saddle Horses worth $1200,

Lift Capacity  <88   <176   <264   <440   <880
Move            12     9      7      4      2
Dodge           8      7      6      5      4


Looking at carrying capacity with our slowest, and thinking of loot on the way home, the saddle horse is a much better deal...Reanna has some spare cash, she is willing to pay the extra $200 for a larger critter in exchange for an extra share of the loot brought home as a result!

She also has her own tent, so she is happy to go with that. And her own rope, and canteen...but she will want to put the pack weighing 36 lbs plus rations on the horse...
Dilandua
 player, 24 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 11:02
Re: Against the Mageguild
There is already a bridle in my calculation, but I agree to add the following
Reanna Draegan:
Halter             $5   1.5 lbs     The best way to tie the animal up
Blanket           $25   2.5 lbs     To avoid wear
Horseshoes        $50   4 lbs       To avoid becoming lame on a long trip.


You don't need to go in for +$200 for a horse, there is cushion for that, new calculation is:

$1580

With $20 left over.  Which would most simply go for more rope (or spikes or something - looking towards 'ambush' supplies).

How much rope do you (Reanna, Dne, and Aegis) have before we buy more (as a group)?

quote:
...exchange for an extra share of the loot brought home as a result!

Won't be necessary.  And Dilandua wouldn't agree to it anyway (would agree to a loan from you of $150 with 10% interest though, Dilandua is equipped for the city, not camping out on the road...).

quote:
...she will want to put the pack weighing 36 lbs plus rations on the horse...

That is a given.  I suspect everyone will be stowing some portion of their gear on the pony.  At least until the trip home when it's loaded down with all the loot...
Aegis
 player, 307 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 15:10
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis has 10' of rope.  He will also spring for a tent and blanket.

Tent, 1-Man (TL0). Includes ropes; no poles needed. $50, 5 lbs.
Blanket (TL1). A warm sleeping blanket. $20, 4 lbs
Reanna Draegan
 player, 458 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 19 Mar 2020
at 19:55
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 119):

I have the following gear...

Iron Spike x4       2 lbs
Rope 3/8”, 40 yds   6 lbs
File                1 lbs
Climbing Spikes     4 lbs
Grapnel             2 lbs
Candle, Beeswax     1 lbs
Alchemist's Matches 0.25 lbs
Canteen, water  3+2=5 lbs

You want the Bridle and Bit instead of just the bridle? Fine by me I spose...
Dilandua
 player, 25 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 01:37
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
You want the Bridle and Bit instead of just the bridle? Fine by me I spose...

Bit and Bridle is necessary to avoid -3 to Handle Animal rolls as per DFRPG 16 Wilderness pg 19.

Not that any of us have Animal Handling... but every penalty counts...
Reanna Draegan
 player, 459 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 03:36
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 121):

The cleric that had animal handling disliked our morality. Bit and bridle, fine, but I thought that was just for riding.

So I just need to get my own food for the trip, then. 10 days was it?
Dne Utrotare
 player, 213 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 17:57
Re: Against the Mageguild
I have no rope, and animals are afraid of me.
Dilandua
 player, 26 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 20:32
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
So I just need to get my own food for the trip, then. 10 days was it?

7 there, 7 back.  Though that's an estimate to "Saint Remy" a small town the barmaid thinks they might pass through (which is roughly the halfway point).

So if we can get there in less than 7 days, great, we might have time to set up an ambush on the road into town from them.  If we tarry due to failed Hiking rolls, etc, then we might have to ambush them on this side of Saint Remy.  Which might not be a bad idea to plan for...

Okay so Aegis and Dne, sound off:  Are you two fine with the purchase of the mule and equipment and being self reliant for tents and food (note if Aegis grumbles about not being able to self provision, or some other noise, Reanna or Dilandua will probably be happy to set up provisions and camping equipment for him at a "reasonable fee")?

And everyone (weigh in on A or B):  We can either (A) try to press and make it to St Remy before them and ambush them right before, right after, or in town or (B) set up an ambush this side of St Remy (a few days out from Northport) with Dilandua scouting ahead to give us a few hours notice of their approach.


For my vote, I'm beginning to to think setting up 4 days out from Northport might be best... though it's not a strong inclination and I'll happily go with whatever the group thinks is best.
Aegis
 player, 309 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 21:17
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  I think Aegis the character would expect all the organization to be handled for him.  He's just the mercenary, not the quartermaster.

As the player, I decided to gloss over that and contribute.  Aegis has 12 rations and a tent/blanket.  If we do the 7 days I might stock up on a few more.  He should be pretty self-reliant for the trip.

Aegis doesn't have a clue when it comes to the animals.  He's fine with you organizing it, because he plans on bringing back plenty of loot.  Just don't expect him to help much with the animals, because it's not his job.  He's the muscle, not the brains, or the ringmaster.

When it comes to business, Aegis will serious up.  He doesn't have much of a preference on where we set up the ambush.  If anything, he might have a mild preference for St. Remy based on:
(a) knowing a good whore or two there, and
(b) the mages might be pushing to make town, leading to them being exhausted and inattentive.

Aegis was built to be plenty anti-social.  Sorry to be a bit callous, but that's how the character sheet was written.  He will be enjoy his drink, and the ladies, and then show up all business when it's time to work.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 460 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 20 Mar 2020
at 22:31
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 125):

Change the mule to a Saddle horse, even if I have to pay the extra for it myself, in which case I will get exclusive use of the extra payload, but at the last iteration I thought you wanted the horse? Otherwise, all good to go.

In addition, Reanna will get 2 saddlebags (6 +14 lbs), putting 28 of her rations into them. She will put her pack, weighing 42.25 lbs, onto the Horse as well. Total of her goods on horse: 62.25 lbs.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:38, Fri 20 Mar.

Dilandua
 player, 27 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 03:42
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis:
He's just the mercenary, not the quartermaster.

He might get some waking up if he parties with Dilandua for long enough... act like the hired help, get paid like the hired help...  ;)

quote:
Aegis doesn't have a clue when it comes to the animals.

None of us do (unless Reanna has some talents she hasn't owned up to)...  Another reason Dilandua is leaning towards "Option B".

quote:
If anything, he might have a mild preference for St. Remy based on:
(a) knowing a good whore or two there, and
(b) the mages might be pushing to make town, leading to them being exhausted and inattentive.

Strategically Dilandua agrees.  Realistically... I'm not sure Dne (or the mule horse) can press (be pressed) hard enough to get us there before them (by at least two days*).

Realistically, we're likely to barely hit town at the same time they will, which is absolutely terrible for ambushing unless your plan is to burn down a portion of Saint Remy to cover our tracks.  I mean Dilandua isn't against that per se, it's just crass and unprofessional... Dilandua prides on being a lot more precise and surgical than that (not that there are a whole lot, or even any, 'kill notches' on those spears yet, but when they get put there, it'll look better if they are 'proper assassination' tags rather than sloppy 'murder hobo' Xs).

But if it's what the group wants, call it Option C.  (It's also fine if Option C is "sneak in, kill them in their beds in the tavern, sneak out", just Dilandua will laugh at the idea that we could pull that off without making all the ruckus.)


* I say two days so we can be roughly a day out of town to set up the ambush (so no one just "randomly stumbles across us" also in case someone escapes, the farther they have to go to find safety, the easier to catch them), and so we have a day to set up an ambush spot.  Putting in clothesline traps and shallow pits to hinder our victim's escape is the work of a day.


Honestly we can also discuss this periodically on the trip... though I suspect we'll have a "...and X days later you're in Saint Remy..." without much time to discuss it inbetween.


Reanna Draegan:
Change the mule to a Saddle horse...

Yes, horse.  I typed 'mule' again didn't I?  Lack of sleep rears its ugly head.

To keep the saddle horse at Move 4 we have to keep the load at or below 176, so you might need to carry a bit more of your own gear...  Note the Horse is at 4.8 Move at Light Enc (176 Lbs).


BEWARE, RABBIT HOLE OF RULES DISCUSSION PAST THIS POINT:
[EDIT]
I get into some interesting ideas the longer I rambled on this...

So for anyone interested in the TL/DR: AND WE CAN GET THERE IN 24 HOURS skip to the bottom.
[/EDIT]

If gwythaint is going on ye olde standard of "takes one week at donkey cart speeds", that means at a Move of 3 it takes 7 days.  If that's a travel time of 8 hours per day, that puts Saint Remy roughly 168 miles away on a decent road.

At a Move of 4, we could get there in 5.25 days.  I expect the mages to be at this speed, if not better.


Normal means of 'going faster':

Each of these things is optional; Hiking to march faster, Navigation/Area Knowledge to cut corners, Going Without Sleep.

For the first two, on a successful skill roll they gain +10 Move, on a failure -10%, on a critical failure -20%.  Hiking is personal, Navigation affects the entire group speed.

Skipping Sleep:  there are two sets of rules, Basic and the simpler DFRPG.

Basic is complicated, but essentially if we press on an extra 2 hours per day, we gain some extra miles, but will be down 2FP that can only be recovered with a full night's rest and an additional 1 hour of rest.

DFRPG rules just charge a flat -3 FP for each full day's rest missed.  Pushing on for the full two days get us there at the end of the third day, but leaves us needing to rest for a full 16 hours to recover.

I recommend not skipping rest (by itself).



Costly Methods of going faster:

If we each pick up scrolls of Quick March (or rather each of you slow pokes and one for the horse at double cost) for $80 per scroll ($160 for the horse), we could double our travel speed for $400/day (Move 8).  Each day we can afford this, we beat them by that one day.  Alternately, with 3 scrolls (one for Dne and a double cost one for the horse) we can be at Move 6, at a cost of $240/day.

If we could afford to hire a Guide (with Survival skill and a Move 4, $200 for the week*) we could increase our travel speed by half (marching for 12 hours instead of 8 per day, you just have to have a point in Survival, not roll it).  This means we get there in 3.5 days.  If the Mages are sleeping in and only moving at a 4, we beat them by 2 days.

If we can afford a Guide ($200) and to push an extra 2 hours per day (or one day overnight), we can get there in 3 days (2.5 days).  That gives us a half a day/full day to laze about recovering from the forced march (-6FP from lost sleep) and means we can tell the guide to peace out for a day or two (we'll need them for the walk home, I mean we paid him for a full week right?), head out past Saint Remy half to one day's travel and prep for the ambush.

For $680 we can get there in one day... (4 scrolls + 1 horse scroll, Guide, march all night).



I recommend the Guide+Push Extra Hours option, unless someone has the cash lying about for the $680 option (Dilandua could actually go in halfsies on this if someone else could also).  Also note, this means we'd need 5 days less food...


If someone knows a Druid or Wizard who can cast Quick March we can drastically cut costs here ($40 per Quick March, $80 for the horse)...  it means Guide+Quick March+Push Overnight costs $240 and we get there in about 24 hours...



Granted we could also hire 2 Laborers and a Guide for a 'day' at $120 each, get them Quick Marched $40, for a total of $480.  We'd need to supply them with food (6 meals each) for $36, three waterskins $30, two frame packs $200, one four person tent $150, and three bedrolls $60.  This costs $956 ($1,116 total for the group), gets us there in 1 day, without needing a horse, gives a lot of flexibility in how much we carry on the return (we could hire a laborer or two extra on the return trip).  Paying them for the return trip costs $108 per day (wages and rations), for 4 days, is $432.

Total cost of final option there and back again (baring hiring more porters): $1,548

That's just under the cost of outfitting a saddle horse.


That leaves $52 to split on ropes, food, etc.  Or we chip in another $8 and the Guide can carry out some loot too (small pack worth).


* This is quadruple price based on a full four 8 hour work days.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 461 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 04:20
Re: Against the Mageguild
quote:
Saddle Horses worth $1200,

Lift Capacity  <88   <176   <264   <440   <880
Move            12     9      7      4      2
Dodge           8      7      6      5      4


Saddle Horse at move 4 is up to 440 lbs, one of the reasons she would pay the extra $200! Even a mule at move 4 is up to 195 lbs...you do know they have enhanced move, right?

quote:
* I say two days so we can be roughly a day out of town to set up the ambush (so no one just "randomly stumbles across us" also in case someone escapes, the farther they have to go to find safety, the easier to catch them), and so we have a day to set up an ambush spot.  Putting in clothesline traps and shallow pits to hinder our victim's escape is the work of a day.


Reanna wholeheartedly agrees with this plan. Nothing like sniping a soldier running away...in self defence of course!

There is a simpler way of going faster...those who are slowest unload onto the horse until we have 263 lbs. This gives the horse a speed of 7 without magic, and may just increase our speed to 5, at least. For no extra cost...Who cannot increase their speed to 5 at least, and how much would we need to unload onto the horse to do that?

Reanna will increase her pack to capacity and attack the hip quiver and her staff to the outside, putting it also on the horse. This brings her to unencumbered, move 7, as well as the horse.

Total Horse load: Gear      11 lbs
                  Reanna 48.55 lbs


Keep it less than 264 and we are good...

We do not need magic for all of us...just the slower ones. They can pay for their lack of concern speed by paying for their own scrolls...

This message was last edited by the player at 04:25, Sat 21 Mar.

Dilandua
 player, 28 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 07:32
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
...you do know they have enhanced move, right?

I forgot it added to Travel Speed (because Travel Speed is based on Basic Move)...

Proper Basic Move for a saddle horse... don't round Basic Move down and you can't go past Medium Encumbrance (I know DF 16 rounds down, which it shouldn't, but it does...).

EncumbranceWTBMEnh Move
None (0)88612
Light (1)1764.89.6
Medium (2)2643.67.2

A Move of 5 still takes 4.2 days without a Guide.  Four point two days.  This doesn't give any margin for error or a lot time for setting up an ambush past the town.

2.8 (call it 3) with a Guide, which is more expenditure of resources, $36 per day, + tent, bedroll, waterskin, and pack to carry it at $140, so $248 for 3 days, $356 for there and back.  Though the Guide might insist on a week's pay, so $376.

quote:
We do not need magic for all of us...just the slower ones.

So anyone that can't hit Move of 8, which gets us there in 2.65 days without a Guide (and if the horse is loaded up past 176 lbs also requires a Quick March, 3 days worth so break out the scrolls).  This is $600 worth in Quick March spells and scrolls (not counting a medium Encumbered horse which costs an added $240)

Move 7 (so the horse doesn't require Quick March), 3 days, no Guide.  2 days with a Guide.

This means we keep the horse at 264 pounds of load or less and y'all buy spells and scrolls, and we chip for a Guide, so $120 per person for Quick March ($360 total), $156 per day for the Guide (+$140 in gear), or $452 for two days.  Total $812.



Looking at these numbers I can accept spending an additional $376 to get there in 3 days (this is with Guide, Move 5 for reference).  But can the group afford it?*  (Dilandua can chip in some)


* Keep in mind, hiring 3 hirelings, equipping them, getting Quick March all around, and power marching for 21 hours, which costs us 3FP (possibly a bit more for skipping rests), gets us there in one day with only spending the advance and no extra out of pocket (except to outfit ourselves individually).  Yes, Aegis will grumble, but I bet having an extra day to whore it up while resting will quite those grumbels to a dull muttering.


[EDIT]
Note though, the "one full day of Quick March" relies on what counts as a "1 day's march" which is the duration of Quick March.  So we might just be back to "hire a Guide, walk fast' if gwythiant says "one day's march is 8 hours".
[/EDIT]

This message was last edited by the player at 07:38, Sat 21 Mar.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 462 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 08:37
Re: Against the Mageguild
Lol, you know Reanna has some cash. She is willing to put up $380 for the guide, but expects it back BEFORE rewards are distributed. But if we are hiring a guide, why not just make move 7, and the slower ones can pay for their spell? They should only need it for two days, maybe only even one!
Dilandua
 player, 29 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 17:41
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
Lol, you know Reanna has some cash. She is willing to put up $380 for the guide, but expects it back BEFORE rewards are distributed.

Acceptable.  Dne, Aegis?

quote:
But if we are hiring a guide, why not just make move 7, and the slower ones can pay for their spell?

Because they might not have the cash... but Dilandua can cover that much if necessary (same conditions as Reanna's).

That's $40 for a spell, $80 for a scroll.

If we opt to Quick March, Dilandua can cover that, if necessary (I'd prefer to cover as little as possible to buy some better gear, but hey there's always next mission right?).

quote:
They should only need it for two days, maybe only even one!

Travel rate with Quick March (Move 7) and Guide:  84 miles per day.
Travel rate without Quick March (Move 5) and Guide:  60 miles per day.

We have to travel 168 miles (theoretically).  So one day of Quick March makes it a 2.14 day tour (with a Guide)... so if we push an extra hour on both days, we can make it in 2 days (this means we'd be down 2 FP and need extra rest to recover it, but we'd have the time for that - hopefully).

And I was off on the cost of the Guide, I was figuring spell and scroll costs for each day... so revised Guide cost (with Dilandua covering the Quick March costs):

Guide1 day2 days4 days1 week
Daily Pay$30.00$60.00$120.00$200.00
Pack, small$60.00$60.00$60.00$60.00
Food$6.00$12.00$24.00$42.00
Waterskin$10.00$10.00$10.00$10.00
Tent$50.00$50.00$50.00$50.00
Bedroll$20.00$20.00$20.00$20.00
Total$176.00$212.00$284.00$382.00

(no I don't love tables... it's just easier to think around the numbers when they are nice and tidy.  If I don't smack 'em around and make 'em line up, I lose track of them too easily.)

So my suggestion, hire a Guide that has both Survival and Animal Handling, put them in charge of the horse.  If we think we can trust them, take them along for the ambush (leaving them in camp to guard the horse and camp).  If we can't trust them, leave them in Remy for a couple of days vacation.  Either way, pay them for a week (if they are trustworthy, offer them daily pay if we go beyond a week).

With Survival, we move faster and the horse can graze (stretching any food we bring for it).  If the Guide can succeed at Survival rolls, we can save some rations (and get better camp set-ups).


Now... let us talk ambush tactics... (next post)
Dilandua
 player, 30 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 18:45
Re: Against the Mageguild
Ambush Tactics

My thoughts were we make a "kill box".  Line both sides of the road (a bit back, unobtrusively) with shallow pit traps.  Just deep enough to cause tripping and turned ankles (possible broken legs on horses which lowers there resale value) to slow anyone fleeing those directions.  Alternately we could use triplines, those are easier to deploy and easier to avoid (though if the terrain favors us), but also cost money (in ropes).

At one end we have a couple (or three) strung ropes, to clothesline/trip anyone running away (this is where Elven Rope would be useful, thinner means harder to see).

On the open side... I don't know.  Could have a tree ready to be felled to cut off escape, a slack rope artfully disguised ready to be pulled taut and fastened, whatever.  Or just someone waiting to shoot or engage any enemy running away that way.

Dilandua will scout ahead on the road a couple (or four) hours distance.  When the enemy is spotted, Dilandua uses a Quick March scroll (Move 22) and returns to give everyone the "they're on the way" warning and we prepare.

We launch the ambush with Dilandua leaping into the center and stabbing the most dangerous looking Mages and then trying to survive being surrounded.  As long as they don't use Save Or Suck spells, and I don't suffer any really bad luck on defense rolls, Dilandua should be fine.  Aegis, Reanna, and Dne engage from the flanks.  Kill Wizards first unless a Redshirt is really pressing you, and bing-botta-boom, Robert's your Aunty.  We collect loot, medallions, ears, etc, and go home...


If we can afford it, I'd like to bring a Blinding Powder grenade (idly rigged as a mine), but that's another $300+ I'm not sure we can scrape together.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 463 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 19:10
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 132):

Sounds fine. I doubt that we can justify binding powder either. Reanna is best sniping with her crossbow, so she will set up to do that.

They are likely to have scouts leading...how did you intend to deal with them?
Dne Utrotare
 player, 214 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 23:18
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC: This is probably a really dumb question, but do I need to buy my own rations?  Concerning these other matters, I think I’ll defer to the rest of you, who are obviously thinking this through quite thoroughly.
Aegis
 player, 310 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 02:51
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC Aegis has plenty of cash.  He will go with whatever the brains decide.  We have company so I skimmed what you wrote and that's good enough for me.  Yes, he will grumble, but new whores are worthwhile...

Aegis is really good with a bow, so he's all about sniping.  But, he can jump in with his hand weapons if others want to do the shooting.

Dilandua
 player, 31 posts
 Shadow Elf
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 04:44
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne Utrotare:
OOC: This is probably a really dumb question, but do I need to buy my own rations?

Does Dne enjoy going without meals?  If you can't afford a weeks rations, one of us can probably spot you.


Seeing as how Aegis and Reanna are snipers*, what about you Dne?  Ranged magic?  Swishypoke?  Are do you stay out of it until someone needs to stop dying?



* We could maybe even set up a snipers blind, or at least an area of treacherous ground so enemies trying to rush you are slowed, tripped, etc.

As for scouts, I figure either we let them ride/walk past and nail the main unit, or if they are far enough afield, we just remove them first.  But honestly, this an expedition of mages and bodyguards that probably think no one knows they are coming.  They probably think the approach to Saint Remy and most of the road to Northport is relatively 'safe' (as safe as bandit ridden woods are) and so are probably doing a 'recon in force'.



[EDIT]
And so I stop forgetting her, we have Alice the Cleric to account for as well.
[/EDIT]

This message was last edited by the player at 04:48, Mon 23 Mar.

Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 10 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 18:03
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 136):

Alice has mv 5, and is strictly for support.

You need to see Oren for a guide  at those rates, being subject to magic would require bonus pay of some kind.

A quick march spell or scroll only does 8 hours (a regular shift of marching)
Reanna Draegan
 player, 464 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 19:35
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Alice Abernathy (msg # 137):

Can the guide travel at 7 without magic?
Dilandua
 player, 32 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 01:04
Re: Against the Mageguild
Alice Abernathy:
A quick march spell or scroll only does 8 hours (a regular shift of marching)

Okay, that's a wrinkle that changes calculations... I'll need to maths at this.  Tomorrow after I've hopefully gotten sleep tonight.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 215 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 15:58
Re: Against the Mageguild
Ooc: I can do ranged magic, area of effect magic, magic that summons a tornado, gives buffs, etc.  Plenty of lightning effects.  How much is a week’s supply of dry rations?

This message was last edited by the player at 15:58, Thu 26 Mar.

Aegis
 player, 311 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 17:08
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Sounds like Aegis might be best served guarding Dne, while he whips up a tornado or something destructive like that.  If any of the mages try to come after Dne, Aegis can pick them off or fight them off.

Not sure how that affects other people's plans.

Dilandua
 player, 33 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 04:08
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua:
Alice Abernathy:
A quick march spell or scroll only does 8 hours (a regular shift of marching)

Okay, that's a wrinkle that changes calculations... I'll need to maths at this.  Tomorrow after I've hopefully gotten sleep tonight.

Still no meaningful sleep.  But we shall commit maths anyway.

 Base Move8 hoursDays12 hoursDays14 hoursDays
Normal5404.2602.8702.4
Quick March7563762.21861.95

In an 8 or 12 hour day, we suffer no FP loss.  On a 14 hour day we lose 2 Longterm FP (can only be regained after a full night's sleep and an extra hour of rest).

My Estimation is we will at best have 5 days.  This needs to include our 1 day of ambush prep and 1 day for the ambush... and 1 day to be one day past Saint Remy.

(apologies if I'm rehashing things, just I'm very tired and making sure I'm not missing something simple)

So, if we spend 3 days on the march, we might have 1 day of ambush prep before they are on us, because they will only need to travel for 4 days.

So my recommendation:  We quick March and press for 14 hours the first day, Normal march and press for 14 hours on day 2.  This puts us roughly 12 miles away from St Remy, and costs $120 in Quick March spells (Aegis, Dne, Abernathy, the Guide).  It will also probably require we pay the Guide a surcharge for working more than an "8hr day".

Day 3 we rest up for 3 extra hours, then normal march (9 hours) and we should end up 1 day past St Remy.

Day 4 we prep an ambush site (far enough away from our camp that advance scouts won't be suspicious) and wait.  If all goes well they march into our kill box towards the end of day 4, begining of day 5.

If someone has Strategy of Tactics skills that would help with choosing a good site and properly arraying the traps.  Dilandua has the Traps skill (though IQ being a 10 means trap building isn't nearly as high as trap disarming).

We should probably also pick up a few more shovels.  Group Basics presumes a 'camp shovel', but those are more akin to entrenching tools than actual shovels.  So call it 2 shovels and a pick.

It will probably take a full 12 hours to line each side of the road with a 1 foot deep, 3 foot wide trip trench, which is why we'll want ropes for trip/clotheslines (and pray for useful trees).  I'd say 360 yards worth, incase we find ourselves stringing the whole length.  Aegis... you have 10 feet of rope?  Why? (or did you mean 10 yards?)

Which invokes the next question, do we try to build 'traps' to limit damage to horses if they have any?  Or do we just not care about that sort loot? (IE, if we can salvage some horses great, if not don't worry about it.)




Dne Utrotare:
How much is a week’s supply of dry rations?

$6 a day for the boring stuff (1.5 lbs per day), more expensive for Elven (expensive, light weight, never go bad) or Dwarven (expensive, heavy, +3 resist poison) rations.

So 7 days worth of Trail Rats is $42 and 10.5 lbs.

I keep wanting to invent Alchemical MREs (Meals Ready to Explode)... but neither of my alchemist characters are particularly mad (Jareth is crazy and Ülo is angry, but neither are mad).


Aegis:
OOC  Sounds like Aegis might be best served guarding Dne, while he whips up a tornado or something destructive like that.  If any of the mages try to come after Dne, Aegis can pick them off or fight them off.

That's fine.  You set up with Dne, keep the foot soldiers off him while he unleashes the storm...
Aegis
 player, 312 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 15:14
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Thanks for doing all the maths.  You work hard at this, and it is appreciated.  I approach it more like a leisure activity and try to leave my mathing at work, or house projects.  :)

Aegis will happily kill mage types in defense of the bird man.

And he has the cash to spend on the travel and scroll if that seems like the best use of funds.

He will definitely buy Dilandua a beverage.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 465 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 22:40
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua:
If someone has Strategy of Tactics skills that would help with choosing a good site and properly arraying the traps.  Dilandua has the Traps skill (though IQ being a 10 means trap building isn't nearly as high as trap disarming).


IQ 13 and traps here, but no Tactics or Strategy.

Dilandua:
We should probably also pick up a few more shovels.  Group Basics presumes a 'camp shovel', but those are more akin to entrenching tools than actual shovels.  So call it 2 shovels and a pick.


After the $380 for the guide, cash is drying up...I am fine to have traps that kill...


Dne Utrotare:
I keep wanting to invent Alchemical MREs (Meals Ready to Explode)... but neither of my alchemist characters are particularly mad (Jareth is crazy and Ülo is angry, but neither are mad).


Sounds like a job for Gareth! Right up his line!

Rest sounds fine, but the price keep going up and up...
Aegis
 player, 313 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 22:45
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Aegis has enough cash to cover you without a problem.  But the next few rounds of alcohol at the bar are on you, and none of this nursing it crap.  You have to drink enough to be stupid.

Aegis has neither Tactics nor Strategy.  He's the meathead, and would rather drink than plan.  All he has is Soldier, which won't cover setting a trap...but might find him the right lady of the evening.

Narrator
 GM, 7590 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 28 Mar 2020
at 16:25
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 145):

Soldier can help with the digging, but tactical advantage is IQ-6
Dne Utrotare
 player, 216 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sat 28 Mar 2020
at 16:33
Re: Against the Mageguild
Also keep in mind that Dne can walk on air.  So he could go up ten yards (or whatever) and chuck spells from behind a tree, act as lookout, etc.
Alice Abernathy
 NPC, 11 posts
 Acolyte of Vejovis
Tue 31 Mar 2020
at 22:10
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 147):

"Just cover me as well, I am not good in a hight, it is kind of the opposite of what I do."
Aegis
 player, 314 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Tue 31 Mar 2020
at 22:30
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Aegis can cover one or both of them.  Ideally Dne can find a good perch where he's hidden but has the right range for all of his area effect stuff.  That would leave Aegis guarding the healer, and possibly more depending on how the structure of the trap location works out.
Aegis
 player, 315 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Tue 31 Mar 2020
at 22:32
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Also, we should take care to play our lack of tactics/strategy.  It's more of a subtle point, but I have seen plenty of players come up with awesome attack plans when their characters couldn't scheme their way out of a box.
Dilandua
 player, 34 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 03:12
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis:
OOC  Also, we should take care to play our lack of tactics/strategy.  It's more of a subtle point, but I have seen plenty of players come up with awesome attack plans when their characters couldn't scheme their way out of a box.

OOC:  Yeah, but that should come down to trap placement, how effect the 'kill box' is at containment, and how effective we are in the opening moments at taking them by surprise and coordinating together.

Don't know how gwythaint runs it, but I usually take my cues from Action 2 Exploits on something like this (meaning I treat the Tactics roll as a Complimentary skill roll for certain actions the party will take later, or since I like to use B.A.D. a modifier on the BAD score - which would make things slightly worse for us as we're rolling tactics at a default).

Could even treat it like the Survival roll in setting up a camp in DF, off the cuff... there are three things a good setup could provide us:  Good Sight Lines, Restricted Enemy Movement, and Casual Location.

On a Tactics roll a critical success nets 3 picks, a success nets two, a failure 1, and a critical failure none.

Baseline gives us no bonuses and our prey no penalties.

Good Sight Lines:  +1 to Init because we have time to be ready.  May be picked twice.
Casual Location:  +1 to our Stealth and -1 to their Per and Danger Sense rolls as the location "doesn't look dangerous".  May be picked twice.
Restricted Enemy Movement:  If they leave the road they take a -2 to Per and/or DX to avoid traps, and once they are alerted that there are traps, they may Move at 1/2 speed to avoid penalties.

Dne Utrotare
 player, 217 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 22:56
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis:
OOC  Also, we should take care to play our lack of tactics/strategy.  It's more of a subtle point, but I have seen plenty of players come up with awesome attack plans when their characters couldn't scheme their way out of a box.


Deliberately roleplay stupid?  Not sure I agree with this.  Usually it’s best to just let it happen naturally.
Narrator
 GM, 7616 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 20:37
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 152):

Nah, don't  RP stupid, spout your plan and get a bonus to that tactics roll based on how well your articulate  it.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 466 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 23:55
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 153):

Sounds like D has a plan in place though. We ready to roll with it?
Dilandua
 player, 35 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 02:55
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
Sounds like D has a plan in place though. We ready to roll with it?

As long as we get time to shop before rolling out at first light... I'm ready.
Narrator
 GM, 7625 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 21:50
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 155):

You are all loaded and ready to move
Dilandua
 player, 36 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 22:52
Re: Against the Mageguild
While traveling, Dilandua will range ahead a bit, no more than an hour, letting them catch up where the warrior is often found doing exercises or meditating.



OOC:  Add to the horse: Dilandua's pack (food, waterskin, tent, bedroll, etc), two shovels, pickaxe, and 200 yards of 3/8's rope.  43.25 lbs.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 218 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 05:56
Re: Against the Mageguild
As usual, Dne walks one foot off the ground, and hopes this is high enough to avoid any snares.  As an added precaution, he leads the others go first.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 467 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 09:58
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 157):

Rranna is happy to stay near the group, crossbow always ready and just off the side of the road.
Aegis
 player, 316 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 00:29
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis travels like he usually does.  Weapon in one hand, booze in the other.
Narrator
 GM, 7634 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 7 Apr 2020
at 17:26
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 160):

You head out through the south gate, and through the fields of barley and lavender. The forrest to the south is a few hours off.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 219 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Tue 7 Apr 2020
at 19:33
Re: Against the Mageguild
“Think of all the worms squirming in that barley... yummmmmm...”
Narrator
 GM, 7642 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 02:06
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 162):

At the end of the day you have passed the farmland, and are part way into the woods.  Birds, and pixies sing.
Aegis
 player, 318 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 15:44
Re: Against the Mageguild
Throughout the trip, Aegis is his usual cynical and jaded self.  He consistently pulls from his dwarven spirits to maintain a low level of intoxication.  When he isn't doing that he's jingling coins in his pocket, or flipping his knife in the air and catching it.  The man seems to be fidgeting constantly.

The best part of it is his long list of other antisocial behaviors.  If he isn't talking uncomfortably about sexual conquests, then he's telling bloody stories of escaping death and including too much detail.  Aegis takes great pride in his killing, and makes sure his conquests are good and dead.  If others aren't listening, then he ends up mumbling to himself anyway.

OOC  Aegis just can't stay quiet, and I imagine his traveling companions might want him dead as soon as the Mages are.  He's an absolute joy to travel with.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 468 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 12 Apr 2020
at 23:17
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 164):

Reanna will keep to herself and keep moving as fast as she can through the day. In the evening, she will check her gear and offer to take the first watch, to look around.
Dilandua
 player, 37 posts
 Shadow Elf
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 01:31
Re: Against the Mageguild
Once camp is set Dilandua mostly keeps separate, performing various ritualistic exercises and weapon katas for several hours (as well as an hour or so of meditation with fragrant incense).



OOC:  Despite trying to do them all day, apparently today was "inner core" day, so 6 hours of ritualistic exercising, meditation, and inner navel gazing is required.

By my reckoning, with a Hiking roll, Dilandua only 'steals' 3 hours on the party, so has to do ritual katas for 3 hours in the evening.

21:16, Today: Dilandua rolled 6 using 1d6.  Daily Chi Rituals, 1d hours. This is probably the first time any Chi Warrior has made this roll in this game... :P

21:26, Today: Dilandua rolled 10 using 3d6.  Hiking 11.  Trying to make time.

Narrator
 GM, 7656 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 14:07
Re: Against the Mageguild
This close to the city (and with most of the bandits in the area cleared) the night passes uneventfully,  and you prepare your next day's journey.

A survival roll for the next campsite.
  Before you get to it, as you pass through some woods, you hear something moving through the trees, snapping branches and grumbling.
(Other Chi users have started their day late)

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:09, Mon 13 Apr.

Aegis
 player, 319 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 16:25
Re: Against the Mageguild
As day 2 of their travel begins, Aegis gets up and breaks camp as he normally would - bottle in hand, curse words aplenty, and generally grouchy because of his hangover (until the alcohol kicks in again).  His free time is kept busy jangling coins and flipping his dagger in the air, since he doesn't take as much time to get ready as the silly person doing Elvish calisthenics.

Once they are moving, Aegis realizes they are a day away from town.  It would be wilder and generally more dangerous now, so he starts to cut back on the drinking.  It's time for him to start becoming more serious about their task.  His alcoholism is a choice, not compulsive, and he proves it by cutting back on his intake.  By the time they hear the noise in the woods, he is only slightly inebriated.

Aegis does take a second to stopper up his dwarven spirits, and stow it, before pulling an arrow to cover the noise in the forest.
Dilandua
 player, 38 posts
 Shadow Elf
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 21:52
Re: Against the Mageguild
Upon hearing the sounds in the woods Dilandua readies spears drops back putting the horse and others between the noise and self.  Dilandua looks to Reanna to see her reaction, and asks sotto voce "Fight or talk first?"


Narrator:
A survival roll for the next campsite.

OOC:  Which of us has the best Survival?  Dilandua has a [checks notes] Survival (Any) 5.

If you don't know, the Default is Per -5 or Naturalist -3.

Aegis
 player, 320 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 23:14
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Aegis' closest skills are Soldier or Carousing.  Neither will be much help, and others are smarter than him (obviously).  I'll still have him take a default roll just in case he doesn't completely blow it.
Dilandua
 player, 39 posts
 Shadow Elf
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 01:13
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis:
OOC  Aegis' closest skills are Soldier or Carousing.  Neither will be much help, and others are smarter than him (obviously).  I'll still have him take a default roll just in case he doesn't completely blow it.

OOC:  There is no "closest" skill.  It's Survival.  Is your default better or worse?
Dilandua
 player, 40 posts
 Shadow Elf
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 22:12
Re: Against the Mageguild
Narrator:
A survival roll for the next campsite.

OOC:  Hang on, gwythaint, didn't we hire a Native guide specifically to have a Survival skill?

Reanna?  You were on that, did you hire the guide?

Dne Utrotare
 player, 220 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 04:47
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne quietly asks the others if he should try to cast a spell in order to flush whatever it is out of the woods.  He has a non-lethal means of doing this, if preferred.
Guillaume the Guide
 NPC, 1 post
 Caravan navigator
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 15:37
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 173):

Contrart to Aegis, whose soldier skill lets him pitch a tent, build a fire pit or latrine, but not locate an advantageous  site, your guid finds a spot that is comfortable,  close to water, and defensible.
Aegis
 player, 321 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 16:31
Re: Against the Mageguild
When Guillaume decides on a location for camp, Aegis (only mildly intoxicated) finds a list of things wrong with it.  The ground wasn't level because it was close to a stream, and sloped towards a ravine.  In his opinion the noise of the water would be too loud.  And the grass was patchy too, so the floor of his tent would be lumpy.  It seemed he could grumble on in his half-understandable words forever.  However, like many drunks, he also didn't address anyone with his complaints.  He whined and moaned about everything that was wrong non stop.  At the same time he set up his tent and prepared the camp fire, and took care of the tasks he did every other night while traveling.

OOC  Aegis has a bad default for Survival, and failed it quite spectacularly.  Not critically, but badly enough that I thought he would be more opinionated than normal.  Especially since he is uneducated on the topic.  Nothing better than that.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 469 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 12:17
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 175):

Pretty sure I paid for the guide...

Reanna mooves to hide, crossbow loaded and cocked with a branch to lean on, when she hears the thing in the woods.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 221 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 04:27
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne quietly moves behind Reanna, and asks what she thinks they should do.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 470 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 06:46
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 177):

"See what it is first..." she replies quietly.
Narrator
 GM, 7677 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 20:21
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 176):

Per rolls at +2 so see what is making the racket
Aegis
 player, 322 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 21:03
Re: Against the Mageguild
With a half second to get his bearings, Aegis hones in on what he is looking at.

He muffles a belch as well as he can by letting it out slowly.
Dilandua
 player, 41 posts
 Shadow Elf
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 04:09
Re: Against the Mageguild
Despite focusing on breathing, foot placement, and body positioning, turning the chi outward to mask oneself, Dilandua identifies the cause of the racket.




OOC:  Concentrating on Invisibility Art.

00:06, Today: Dilandua rolled 5 using 3d6.  Per 12 (Per 10 + 2), identify bush shaker.

Ogre
 NPC, 35 posts
 Huge and ugly
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 18:35
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 181):

Two ogres, huge and ugly, are arguing about who should build a fire and who should eat first.
They bear clubs made from tree trunks, and one has a spear.  The other carries a large and squirming sack.
Aegis
 player, 323 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 19:35
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis smiles to himself.  To the careful observer, he seems to take a perverse sort of joy in the situation.  His smile might come across as sadistic, or even terrible.  Normally hidden, the inner malice he carries along daily finally shows through the surface.  And what makes it even scarier, is the complete and utter calm that falls over his normally active body.  For a heartbeat he is perfectly still.  Then a second...
Dne Utrotare
 player, 222 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 01:42
Re: Against the Mageguild
“Attack?” Dne asks quietly.
Dilandua
 player, 42 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 02:59
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua moves to put the horse between the self and the ruckus and vanishes...




OOC:  Wait Maneuver.  If an ogre moves into Reach 1 Dilandua is prepared to attack.

22:46, Today: Dilandua rolled 13 using 3d6.  Invisibility Art 13 (Skill 14 - 1 Moving).

MoS 0.  Enemies trying to See Dilandua must first make a Per or Observation roll at -3 (+3 if they knew where Dilandua was and are specifically looking for Dilandau), allies probably have no penalty (they know both where Dilandua was and that Dilandua was there), and beat an MoS of 0.  Sigh.

22:47, Today: Dilandua rolled 14 using 3d6.  Light Walk 15.  Dilandua makes no sound walking, MoS +1, +1 to Stealth vs Hearing.

22:47, Today: Dilandua rolled 7 using 3d6.  Stealth 16.  MoS +9 versus Sight based Perception, MoS +12 versus Hearing based Perception.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 471 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 03:34
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 185):

Reanna ties the bridle to a tree and likewise hides. When she sees the ogres, she starts aiming for the ogres head, bracing on a branch. She will hold fire for now...
Ogre
 NPC, 36 posts
 Huge and ugly
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 17:59
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 186):

The ogres are caught up in theirvargument, and fail to notice you.
Aegis
 player, 324 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 23 Apr 2020
at 20:00
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis fires.

He takes a second to drop all of his camping supplies and backpack, and then he's back at it with the bow again...

OOC Since this is my first combat, general idea of roles in the group?  I assume that no one else is wearing heavier armor like Aegis is, so he should probably step up to meat shield the rest of the group?

Aegis is going to nock another arrow, but...  What is the range, so I know how much time he has to aim, prepare his melee weapon, and step up to meet his foe (potentially...).

Dilandua
 player, 43 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 02:07
Re: Against the Mageguild
Seeing that nothing is kicking off immediately Dilandua focuses, tensing muscles preparing to launch into the foes once combat begins.




OOC:  Dilandua's Invisibility Art fritzes out... taking a Concentrate Maneuver, Flying Leap preparation 1 turn.

22:02, Today: Dilandua rolled 16 using 3d6.  Invisibility Art 14.  MoF -2.  It's still probably Dilandua is 'invisible' to the Ogres...

The Stealth from above still applies:  MoS +9 versus Sight based Perception, MoS +12 versus Hearing based Perception.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 472 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 07:03
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 189):

Reanna, hearing the bow shot beside her, squeezed the trigger.
Masugatan
 player, 357 posts
Mon 27 Apr 2020
at 08:12
Re: Against the Mageguild

This message was deleted by the player at 08:13, Mon 27 Apr.

Dne Utrotare
 player, 223 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Mon 27 Apr 2020
at 08:13
Re: Against the Mageguild
Chirping excitedly, Dne climbs about ten meters into the air and finds some thick branches to ‘crouch’ behind, as he contemplates which spell to try on the ogres.
Ogre
 NPC, 37 posts
 Huge and ugly
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 17:32
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 190):

The ogre carrying the bag pauses as the bolt penetrates his skull and empties his bladder before falling face down.
The other ogre slowly turns to watch him fall.
Dilandua
 player, 44 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 21:25
Re: Against the Mageguild
From out of hiding Dilandua leaps in an arc that carries the warrior over the clearing and drops directly onto the shoulders of the Ogre, plunging both spears towards the top of it's head as Dilandua sticks the landing...


(if the ogre flops over dead, Dilandua rides it's shoulder to the ground and steps off gracefully ala every Elf in every movie ever)

OOC:  All-Out Attack (Determined), Dual Attack Spear, Flying Leap, 1FP.

16:53, Today: Dilandua rolled 7 using 3d6.  Flying Leap 10 (skill 15 - 5 hurried).

16:58, Today: Dilandua rolled 12, 12 using 3d6, 3d6.  Spear Dual-Weapon Attack 17 (Skill 18 - 5 Face/head + 4 AOA(Determined).

17:06, Today: Dilandua rolled 16, 11 using 2d6+5, 2d6+5.  Potential Spear damage, ST 20, 2d+5 imp.

17:10, Today: Dilandua rolled 13 using 3d6.  Jumping 16, to not pratfall.


16 and 11 damage impaling to the skull?  ♪ Ain't no kill like overkill ♪

Aegis
 player, 325 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 22:25
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis waits no time.  He nocks an arrow, aims, and then fires.  All very silently, and the wicked grin still on his face.

OOC Unsure of range, as mentioned before.  If Aegis thinks he can get off another arrow, he will draw a new one and aim.  Otherwise, it's drop the bow and pull out his mace and shield.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 473 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 01:53
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 1

Reanna smiles and reloads, trying to stay hidden.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:53, Thu 30 Apr.

Dne Utrotare
 player, 224 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 05:43
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne waits to see if there’s anything left worth zapping.  His companions seem to have matters well in hand.
Narrator
 GM, 7716 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 17:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 196):

As the skewered ogre catches an arrow to the torso, it seems more annoyed than anything else, despite one pupil being blown and copious amounts of blood exiting from its mouth and nose.

Some things are too stupid to die.
Dilandua
 player, 46 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 21:55
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dlinadua hastily plunges one spear towards its remaining undamaged eye and then springs off the ogre's shoulders, landing fifteen away, spinning to face it again.






OOC:  All Out Attack (Determined), then leaping off and landing 5 yards away (jumping distance is coincidentally an AOA's half Move distance).

17:44, Today: Dilandua rolled 10 using 3d6.  Spear 16, stab to the eye (Skill 20 - 9 eye + 1 SM + 4 AOA(Det)).

17:45, Today: Dilandua rolled 6 using 1d6+2.  Potential Spear damage, 1d+2 imp.

17:47, Today: Dilandua rolled 10 using 3d6.  Jumping/Acrobatics 16, dismounting the Ogre.

Aegis
 player, 326 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 22:51
Re: Against the Mageguild
With Dilandua keeping the Ogres busy, Aegis needs no further encouragement.  He nocks yet another arrow, aims just like the last time, and then fires.

The grin on his face is starting to fade, replaced by someone lost in concentration.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 225 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Fri 1 May 2020
at 07:50
Re: Against the Mageguild
From his comfortable perch far above, Dne casts Lightning Armor upon the valiant Dilandua, sheathing her form in a powerful shell of electricity.
Then he watches what happens next with great interest.

03:50, Today: Dne Utrotare rolled 8 using 3d6.  Cast Lightning .

This message was last edited by the player at 07:52, Fri 01 May.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 474 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 1 May 2020
at 08:57
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 199):

The weapon cocked, Reanna draws and loads the bolt in a fluid motion.
Ogre
 NPC, 38 posts
 Huge and ugly
Sun 3 May 2020
at 19:30
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 199):

With the strike through its eye, the ogre collapses, twitching.

Dilandua is encased in lightning armor.

Aegis drops another arrow into the vitals of the first (prone) ogre, who is not moving.

A muffled cry comes from its bag.

Reanna is ready to fire.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:31, Sun 03 May.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 475 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 3 May 2020
at 20:25
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Ogre (msg # 203):

Ready to fire but without a clear enemy target, Reanna suggests someone check out the bag as she stands guard...
Dilandua
 player, 47 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sun 3 May 2020
at 21:35
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua stalks over the one just killed and stabs it again through the eye, working the blade around to be sure.  Then stalks over to the other and does the same.
Aegis
 player, 327 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Mon 4 May 2020
at 16:44
Re: Against the Mageguild
Once the ogres are properly dispatched by Dilandua, Aegis feels more comfortable putting away his bow.  After equipping his shield and mace, he approaches the ogres and prepares to open the sack.

OOC Aegis will wait for Dilandua to be present before opening the sack.  He will set the mace down and keep the shield equipped, then open with one hand.  That way Dilandua can be free to attack if necessary.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 476 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Mon 4 May 2020
at 22:12
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 206):

Reanna just guards with her crossbow.
Dilandua
 player, 48 posts
 Shadow Elf
Tue 5 May 2020
at 04:35
Re: Against the Mageguild
Once Dilandua finishes brain stabbing the second ogre (just to make sure), the warrior notices Aegis motioning to the bag.

Dilandua will approach it cautiously, and if necessary, put aside the spears to open it.
Arvak Garver
 player, 100 posts
 Halfling swordsman
Tue 5 May 2020
at 18:59
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 208):

There is a muffled cry from within the sack, and Dilandua unties it to reveal a halfling wearing leathers and an elven chain shirt.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 477 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 6 May 2020
at 02:19
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Arvak Garver (msg # 209):

"What do we have here?"
Dilandua
 player, 49 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 6 May 2020
at 02:35
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua shrugs, gathers the spears, and begins cleaning them to be sheathed.
Arvak Garver
 player, 101 posts
 Halfling swordsman
Wed 6 May 2020
at 17:45
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 210):


The badly bruised halfling clambers out of the bag
"Arvak Garver, at your service, more or less. The oversize idiot broke my sword to be funny, although Ican doso.e damage with a stick if need be."
Dne Utrotare
 player, 226 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 7 May 2020
at 00:08
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne climbs back down until he is a mere one foot from the ground.  In his creepy bad guy voice, he says, “I see we’ve caught a rabbit.”
Dilandua
 player, 50 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 7 May 2020
at 03:29
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua starts to roll the ogres, both for valuables, as well as further away from the road (if necessary).



OOC:  Two questions:  1 - Is this where our camp was going to be?  If so I suggest we move along a bit, corpses might draw things in teh night.

2 - Is Arvak a Player seeking to join up, an NPC we can dump in Saint Remy, or an NPC being added because the GM thinks we might need a bit more muscle?

Aegis
 player, 328 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 7 May 2020
at 16:28
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis sizes up the little man for a few seconds, while he clambers out of the bag.  His mace is back in his hand as he does so, but not heald in a menacing way.  Once Aegis recognizes the halfling is not hostile, he puts down his mace and takes off his shield.  Then he starts working on the buckles on his leg.

"Yer n IDIOT fer letyn de dummees snatsh u.  If yer wit us, den yer fightin.  U kin burrow me sword."

As he finishes unbuckling his smallsword, Aegis flips it to the halfling, and then collects his things.  There is alcohol to be drunk, after all.
Arvak Garver
 player, 102 posts
 Halfling swordsman
Thu 7 May 2020
at 17:54
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 215):

The halfling tests the sword and bows gratefully to Aegis.


He is a handy pc cum npc you can drop in St Remy. I just needed a halfling.

The ogre with the spear (both it and the club are SM+1 crude weapons)has a backpack as a pouch, with a large rusty knife, a sack of silver coin, and a large flint.
Dilandua
 player, 51 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 7 May 2020
at 21:17
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua will stow the knife, flint, and coin in the backpack, and put it with the gear on the horse.
Narrator
 GM, 7745 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 8 May 2020
at 17:00
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 217):

Flies, which had been buzzing about the ogres already, start to settle in arou d the bodies.
Dilandua
 player, 52 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 8 May 2020
at 17:41
Re: Against the Mageguild
"We should camp elsewhere, the corpses will draw more than flies overnight."
Dne Utrotare
 player, 227 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sat 9 May 2020
at 23:34
Re: Against the Mageguild
"Unless we eliminate the bodies.  But why should we bother with that?  If you wish, I'll climb up to the sky and look around for an appropriate campsite."
Narrator
 GM, 7752 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 11 May 2020
at 17:14
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 220):

Make survival rolls all, +2 for the aerial view, but you cannot choose comfort with that roll unless you roll a crit.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 478 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 13 May 2020
at 00:12
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 221):

"Lets not. They will distract anything that might otherwise be focussed on us. Move at least a few miles though. As for this newcomer, I have heard halfling are good thieves. Up to him if he come with us, but if anything goes missing, I will search him. Cavity search, if need be, and not gently either. But I am fine with him following along if he needs to. You have your own food, young man?"
Arvak Garver
 player, 103 posts
 Halfling swordsman
Thu 14 May 2020
at 17:18
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 222):

"I resent that racist isinuation! I am a sworsman, not a thief. Of course if you want to do a mutual cavity search, I'll  show you mine if you show me yours, and yes, I have some rations left."
Dne Utrotare
 player, 228 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 14 May 2020
at 17:32
Re: Against the Mageguild
13:31, Today: Dne Utrotare rolled 4 using 3d6.  Survival roll (unmodified).
Narrator
 GM, 7768 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 14 May 2020
at 19:34
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 224):

Amazing! Comfort, security, water!
Aegis
 player, 329 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 14 May 2020
at 19:40
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis flips his knife in the air a few times.  A wicked smile crosses his face as he imagines the dinky little halfling trying to work his magic on a full size human.  He mumbles a few words to himself, barely audible, and laughs at his own joke.  And he continues with the commentary, to himself, as he watches the situation unfold.  He has nothing to say to the rest of the group, as he's the hired help, and not the guide.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 479 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 14 May 2020
at 21:45
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 226):

"There will be nothing mutual about it, I assume you, and unless you are a masochist, I doubt you will enjoy it as much as you think! It is no slur on halfling, unless you know your race better than I, but anyone coming out of an Ogres sack intact was clearly not depending on martial prowess to survive..."
Narrator
 GM, 7772 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 15 May 2020
at 17:18
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 227):
I described him as being heavily bruised. He is not intact, and looks to be about 30% healthy right now.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 480 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 15 May 2020
at 22:23
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 228):

Ok. Reanna is somewhat distance, and probably did not notice these details that would be more apparent up close. She is open to correction...
Dilandua
 player, 53 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 15 May 2020
at 22:48
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua checks that the pony is ready to move again and follows Dne's lead to the site he's chosen.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 229 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sat 16 May 2020
at 00:47
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne comes down to earth and offers to guide them to the site he has located.  He hopes they also find some juicy worms there, but that might be too much to ask.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:48, Sat 16 May.

Guillaume the Guide
 NPC, 1 post
 Caravan navigator
Sat 16 May 2020
at 17:33
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 231):

With a crit like that, you find them.

Guillaume looks a little hurt that the bird mage found a better spot, but sets about building a firepit and hauling water.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:33, Sat 16 May.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 481 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sat 16 May 2020
at 21:30
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Guillaume the Guide (msg # 232):

Reanna will make sure the guide sees the positive side. After all, Dne flys, and now he can show the next group this better spot. She will help set up for the night.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 230 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sat 16 May 2020
at 23:31
Re: Against the Mageguild
Ooc: Technically, he walks on air and can’t really fly.  But I won’t tell if you won’t.
Dilandua
 player, 54 posts
 Shadow Elf
Mon 18 May 2020
at 04:49
Re: Against the Mageguild
Once camp is established, Dilandua sets about performing katas for several hours, interspersed with meditation.
Aegis
 player, 331 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Mon 18 May 2020
at 14:37
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis sets up so he can drink, and watch Dilandua...and probably fantasize about her some too.  There are definitely moments when the pace of him flipping his knife takes on a different tempo. Then he's off to bed, tired after a long day's march.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 231 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Tue 19 May 2020
at 21:53
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne sits by the fire and ‘grooms’ himself using the beak of his mask.  If Dilandua’s katas interest him at all, he shows no sign of it.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 482 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Tue 19 May 2020
at 22:14
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 236):

Reanna notices Aegis and shakes her head.

"If you put the same effort into caring for a woman as you do in pleasuring yourself, you might not be alone..." she mutters to him, before getting ready to take the first watch.

She makes a note of the Katas, and mentally plans to ask her about them later.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 232 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 21 May 2020
at 21:50
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne wishes he could pleasure himself, but there are no worms, grubs or bugs handy at the moment.  But he’ll always have lightning.
Narrator
 GM, 7804 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 22 May 2020
at 19:48
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 239):

At noight thd watches begin. The first on watch hears a growling sound from thr direction of the ogres.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 483 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 22 May 2020
at 22:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 240):

Reanna, taking the first watch, looks for s spot with concealment where she will have a good view in that direction, and readies the crossbow in case two orges is not enough for them to eat...
Dne Utrotare
 player, 233 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sat 23 May 2020
at 22:30
Re: Against the Mageguild
Ooc: Am I awake?  I hope so, because if I am, I can give Reanna a buff.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:30, Sat 23 May.

Dilandua
 player, 55 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sun 24 May 2020
at 00:06
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua would have preferred to take last watch.
Narrator
 GM, 7813 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 26 May 2020
at 18:17
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 243):

The first and middle watches pass uneventfully, Arvak wakes with Dilandua and offers to spar with them.
Dilandua
 player, 56 posts
 Shadow Elf
Tue 26 May 2020
at 20:07
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dilandua will accept a light sparring, but only once a few others have started to rouse (so there are extra eyes about).


Until then Dilandua performs some meditation and some one-arm pushups (today is upper-body day apparently) interspersed with keeping watch.


OOC:  16:04, Today: Dilandua rolled 4 using 1d6.  Chi Rituals, 1d hours.
Arvak Garver
 player, 104 posts
 Halfling swordsman
Wed 27 May 2020
at 18:49
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 245):

The halfling is quite good with the blade, roughly on par with Dilandua's base level skills; demonstrating that he is a swashbuckler rather than another template.
Dilandua
 player, 57 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 27 May 2020
at 22:36
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC:  By "base skill" I presume you mean Arvak has roughly a 20 in sword/rapier skill?  So he was beaten not for lack of fighting skill... but because he made the mistake of not running away fast enough?  (an ogre would be a hard foe for a halfling Swashbuckler to defeat, their toughness combined with his low damage)

This message was last edited by the player at 22:38, Wed 27 May.

Narrator
 GM, 7819 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 28 May 2020
at 19:30
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 247):

That is correct. He caught a light tap from a treetrunk,  after stabbing the ogres in their feet and shins.
Aegis
 player, 332 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 28 May 2020
at 21:07
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  ...with "light tap" meaning "In concussion protocol for the next 3 months..."
Dilandua
 player, 58 posts
 Shadow Elf
Thu 28 May 2020
at 21:30
Re: Against the Mageguild
"Your skill is a commendation to your master.  Who did you train with?"
Masugatan
 player, 368 posts
 street thug
Fri 29 May 2020
at 22:07
Re: Against the Mageguild
Masugatan politely offers to help make Dilandua’s pushups harder.