Against the Mageguild   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Dilandua
 player, 13 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 18:57
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis:
OOC I stand corrected, you are correct.  And in German, spiel is "play".

OOC:  Well... it's not supposed to be German, otherwise it'd be Gutzauber.  It was just supposed to 'sound' like Spell Good.  Though why gwythaint choose 'spiel' I do not know... unless gwythaint meant his name to be "Good Game" and I've just been wrong the last 6 years...

Amusing that Spiel Gud in Swedish is Play God.  Maybe gwythanint is trying to tell us something about Dr Speilgud...  after all gwythaint is in the medical field and interacts with people who have to play god all the time...

THAT'S IT!  I'm blaming Aegis for this rabbit hole I've fallen down!

Aegis
 player, 299 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 6 Mar 2020
at 20:55
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC  Aegis is a rat hole by himself.  What did Bruce Banner say in The Avengers...?  "You can smell the crazy on him."
Narrator
 GM, 7496 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 21:45
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 78):

I was going for "Spell Good". never mind my spelling. Sometimes I have a deeper reason for things, but Spielgud the Enchanter was an NPC I wrote in 2002 for the first version of this game over on playbyweb.  There wasn't much deep thought about it, and I had just been reading some Harry Potter; the guild badges track on a version of the Marauder's Map that he owns; the serial numbers at least... usually McCain has to be near with the register ledger to look up who they belong to, and Camilla with Bellarius to pull their file. Back then I had three sub dungeons below the guild that had movable walls to make a new proficiency run every month.  Usually there was heavy betting on these runs based on who was in what group. The kobolds (like house elves---> tucker's kobolds) revolted and started making the dummy traps lethal, (usually the adventuring parties were observed by guild admins who would flag them for simulated wounds, and the indentured workers and undead would have padded weapons dipped in chalk that would show a hit) The revolt was discovered when all of the kobolds badges were spotted in one corner of the map, because they took them off, and also one party was contacted to enter another area outside of their run to find a spellcaster who accidentally teleported into a pit trap by casting Whimsy.
Dilandua
 player, 14 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 22:17
Re: Against the Mageguild
Narrator:
I was going for "Spell Good"...

OOC:  Reanna had questions in msg #71 that I think were aimed at Madeline.  Is Madeline ignoring those questions or is she just several questions behind in answering?
Madeline
 player, 101 posts
 Barmaid
Sat 7 Mar 2020
at 23:21
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Madeline (msg # 72):

"I don't know if they are walking or riding, so I couldn't say which town you are likely to intercept them at, although I would suspect Saint Remy as a likely place, as it is they have a small shop there where they might stop. Theat is about a week out."
Dilandua
 player, 15 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 01:16
Against the Mageguild
"If we hire a pony or two to carry gear and we press hard, we might be able to get to Saint Remy a few days before them and have time to prepare a proper ambush just outside of town."

Dilandua looks over Reanna, Aegis, and Dne...  "If this group is capable of pressing hard."


Dilandua turns to Madeline, "Is there an advance on this bag of gold?"
Vilgar
 NPC, 99 posts
 fight organizer
 for disorganized fighters
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 03:42
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 82):

The large brutish fellow she had been speaking to previously steps away from a table of hobgoblins and orcs, and advances.
"I am Vilgar. Mads is my agent. I represent the client, and can forward you some coin. Of course, I will have someone cut your hands off if you try to return here after taking the coin and fail to deliver. Of course, Dilandua, your people recommend you, so I will make an advance."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:21, Wed 11 Mar.

Dilandua
 player, 16 posts
 Shadow Elf
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 05:05
Against the Mageguild
"I accept those terms."
Reanna Draegan
 player, 451 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 05:50
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 84):

"I agree to those terms as well. A quick trip to St Remy sounds like an excellent idea. Lets get moving, as long as the slow old men don't slow us down!"
Aegis
 player, 300 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 18:43
Against the Mageguild
Aegis quickly chugs his last ale.  Then any remaining ales left behind by others in their group preparing to leave.  No sense wasting good ale.  Or even the mediocre fare here.

Then he stands, following the lead of the others, and tosses coin on the table to cover the rest of his tab, plus a bit for the wench.

OOC Not tracking the amount he spend on drink.  Might be negligible, or you might have a dollar figure.  Either is fine, send it my way and I will update his sheet as necessary.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 206 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sun 8 Mar 2020
at 23:24
Against the Mageguild
Dne climbs six inches off the floor and prepares to boogie.  He's ready!
Narrator
 GM, 7506 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 02:25
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Aegis (msg # 86):

Compulsive carousing runs about 20% extra a week, but gets you three carousing rolls, which may produce useful rumors.

The ogrekin passes over a purse of 20 gold ($1600)
Dne Utrotare
 player, 207 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 03:03
Against the Mageguild
Barely paying any attention to the gold, Dne does a little bird dance from six inches off the floor.  He's feeling hyperactive these days.
Dilandua
 player, 17 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 05:19
Against the Mageguild
Dilandua accepts the purse, gives it quick look over, "This might stretch to cover a pack mule, tent and one week's food for us all..."



OOC:  Narrator, is there anyway for us to 'steal a march" on our targets and get there before them (with time to properly set up an ambush, so like two-three days before them), or are we moving at the speed of plot and will get there when you want us to get there?
Reanna Draegan
 player, 452 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 08:31
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 90):

Saddle Horse, ST 21, BL: 88 lbs, $1,200

Bridle            $10   2 lbs
Halter             $5   1.5 lbs
Blanket           $25   2.5 lbs
Horseshoes        $50   4 lbs

Legionaries Tent    $225, 45 lbs, Sleeps 8
Group Basics        $50, 20 bs
Bag of Fodder       $50, 50 lbs


Total $1,615, 125 lbs
Dilandua
 player, 18 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 10:22
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
Total $1,615, 125 lbs

OOC:  I don't see food or water for four people for 7 days on that list.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 453 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 10:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 92):

Nope. BYO, of go in together for a bulk discount. A 6 gal barrel will cost $124, and Rations cost $2 per person per day. Reanna has $620 she can loan, but she would want it back, with some interest given there is risk involved here...

This message was last edited by the player at 10:41, Wed 11 Mar.

Dilandua
 player, 19 posts
 Shadow Elf
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 18:18
Re: Against the Mageguild
Reanna Draegan:
Nope. BYO, of go in together for a bulk discount. A 6 gal barrel will cost $124, and Rations cost $2 per person per day. Reanna has $620 she can loan, but she would want it back, with some interest given there is risk involved here...

OOC:  Be happy to go that way, just waiting to see if it matters or not (if we're moving at the speed of plot, we can just and skip the horse).  If it matters, I'd be fine oweing you a couple of hundred for food.

Dne Utrotare
 player, 208 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 13:12
Re: Against the Mageguild
Dne puts in a request for seeds and fresh worms.  He's heard they tend to slow down the plot some, which may be to our advantage.
Aegis
 player, 301 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 15:13
Re: Against the Mageguild
Aegis, because he's a self-centered jerkwad, will ignore all the preparations and expect his food to magically show up in the group provisions.  He's too busy drinking and enjoying the ladies of the evening to really care much about the organization part.  He will pay his fair share though.
Narrator
 GM, 7519 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 11:49
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Reanna Draegan (msg # 91):

A small mule costs $1000, has a BL of 65 and 18 ST. I don't know as you would be hauling much more than that, and it would free loot for rations.

We are travelling by speed of plot; for each defaulted hiking roll that succeeds, you gain a day, and lose one on a failure, gain two on a crit success.  If anyone has land navigation, a good roll adds +1 to the roll,
Rolls will be made three times, survival rolls to find campsites.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 209 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 16:38
Against the Mageguild
OOC: Could I roll versus scrounging instead of survival (which I donít have)?
Aegis
 player, 302 posts
 Veteran Mercenary
 Master-at-Arms
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 19:06
Against the Mageguild
OOC Aegis has no outdoor skills of any sort.  He will expect the rest of the group to take care of those boring details.
Dilandua
 player, 20 posts
 Shadow Elf
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 20:42
Re: Against the Mageguild
Narrator:
We are travelling by speed of plot...

So, once again, Movement rates have no bearing on how fast we can get there*?  But somehow skill does?  (Not that the party as a whole is likely to break BM 4, but I was hoping that being able to easily scout ahead and begin preparing a site each day might save us some time.  Dilandua has a Move of 11 after all.)


* Which I was fine with in the Abbey mission as time was "not of the essence".  But here... even with a failure on my Hiking and being Medium Encumbered, Dilandua can easily outpace the group if they had No Encumbrance.  I kinda think this needs to be accounted for, in other words... even a Critical Failure on a Hiking roll (taking three times as long to travel) still probably puts Dilandua above the lowest group member's Move).


quote:
for each defaulted hiking roll that succeeds, you gain a day, and lose one on a failure, gain two on a crit success.

Do those of us who do not have defaulted Hiking get a pass on this roll?  Is everyone rolling, or are these group rolls?

Why are you deviating so vastly from DF rules on land movement?  I get making things 'simpler', but standard Hiking penalty (and success) is max -10%/+20% travel time... not Ī50% or +100%.


quote:
...survival rolls to find campsites.

If I can get full Move, and thus scout ahead, and take all the Extra Time, Dilandua has a default Survival of 10, so expect to be down some FP when we get there (unless one of the other city types has Survival (Type) better than a 10)...

And are you using the DF camping rules or something else?  If you are using the DF rules, we can at least forgo the loss of FP (unless our camp finder critically fails).



Aegis:
OOC Aegis has no outdoor skills of any sort.  He will expect the rest of the group to take care of those boring details.

Considering I'm about to suggest we split the money and purchase individual supplies...  Aegis might want to suddenly learn a modicum of self-sufficiency.  ;)
Reanna Draegan
 player, 454 posts
 Burglar, scout
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 21:54
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 100):

Reanna has no hiking or survival skills either, though with a move of 7 she is not tardy. Still I think a saddle horse might be better than a mule as it has a higher basic BL for just $200 more, and can probably eat similar fare. Group Basics and group tent are much better than individual ones. Far cheaper. Food and water can be individual, but we can put packs on the horse...