Against the Mageguild   Posted by Narrator.Group: archive 0
Virgilio Hohlfeld
 player, 45 posts
 Apprentice wizard
 Tall and very thin
Sat 7 Aug 2021
at 13:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
Unburdened by carrying a corpse, Virgilio nearly catches up to the Shadow Elf.

"Don't bother gathering wood for a pyre; I can burn the bodies directly in that ditch, where the ashes can be covered by filling it back in.  I'll have to do some calculation, but I might be able to move that tree out of the road, too, maybe even burn it in the same ditch.  A log that size will take a long time to burn, though.  Worse since it's fresh and green.

"By the way, I found what you folks might have been looking for.  There are locked Guild documents in these saddlebags.  Someone should go over the bodies in detail to look for the keys.

"While we're waiting for the bodies to finish burning, I'd greatly appreciate being allowed to pick over some mundane pieces like belt pouches and knives, as well as collect some suitable armor, if any of this fits.  I might have to wait on that, though.  Not many folks are as tall and thin as I am."


OOC: I ought to be able to at least find a helmet of some kind, and a sleeveless jerkin or similar that's close enough.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 666 posts
 HP: 11/11, FP: 10/11
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Sun 8 Aug 2021
at 04:09
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Virgilio Hohlfeld (msg # 942):

How has Reanna gone gathering up all the valuables and separating them from the bodies, and clearing the road?
Virgilio Hohlfeld
 player, 46 posts
 Apprentice wizard
 Tall and very thin
Sun 8 Aug 2021
at 10:15
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC: If Reanna is still working on moving bodies, Virgilio will pitch in to help using Apportation cast with extra time to do the actual moving -- it'll help him in searching for armor that might fit as well as basic equipment.  He'll also collect the writing kit from the saddlebags.
Narrator
 GM, 9244 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 20:04
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Virgilio Hohlfeld (msg # 944):

from the redshirts:
6 sets of light leather gambesons and pants with DR3 corselets,  DR4 helmets and gauntlets, heavy leather boots, good shortswords, ST12 crossbows and quivers, the bolts were strewn by Dne's storm, cheap large knives, and pouches with a total of $716 in copper and $860 in silver and assorted personal basics, red surcoats with the Mageguild insignia.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:06, Mon 09 Aug 2021.

Narrator
 GM, 9246 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 20:22
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 945):

from the orangecloaks
two sets of brigandine graven with the guild symbol, two good broadswords also emblazoned, ditto 2 fine, silvered daggers worth $200 each and two silver rings, pouches with cash totaling $72 in copper, $980 oil n silver and $160 as 2 gold coins, decent basics, 2 orange cloaks and surcoats, all with the Mageguild logo

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:28, Mon 09 Aug 2021.

Narrator
 GM, 9247 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 20:27
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 946):

from the two yellow cloaks:
2 yellow cloaks, 2 yellow surcoats (both badly damaged) two suits of graven brigandine,  one reduced to cheap value from being dragged, 2 gold rings, 2 embellished staves, two silvered meteoric daggers, two good broadswords,  pouches with fine basics and $660 in silver, $480  as six gold coins
Narrator
 GM, 9248 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 20:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 947):

horses: 4 slightly injured light riding horses, with Mageguild brands, and Mageguild saddles and harness and saddlebags.

items: group basics, 4 locked books, 2 branded writing kits, the sealed document case,


virtually every item has their insignia.

Aegis helps pull the bodies to the side.
Virgilio Hohlfeld
 player, 47 posts
 Apprentice wizard
 Tall and very thin
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 22:36
Re: Against the Mageguild
As Virgilio looks over the takings, holding one of the helmets, he smacks his forehead, then tosses the helmet into the ditch that's receiving the bodies.

"Gods, I can't wear any of this, unless I can get those brands off.  And who goes on the road without so much as a backpack among them?  And I didn't even notice that, either.  Guess I was too busy feeling sorry for myself."

He starts examining every single item in the personal basics bag he just picked up, looking for things like a Guild insignia on the spoon and fire steel.  Then he stops, stuffs that item into the guild-marked pouch on his belt, and begins examining the staff he picked up, inch by inch.

"Good grief.  I wonder if I can burn the symbol off without destroying whatever enchantments this has on it?"

He straightens, shakes his head, then tosses the staff into the ditch as well.

"Okay, looks like the only things safe to keep are the coins, and maybe those rings.  We can probably obscure the brands on the horses -- they'll look stolen, but at least it won't be obvious from whom.  This one pouch I can pass off as a second hand shop purchase, as long as I don't have anything else with the mark on it."

He lets out a soft wolf whistle.

"All the enchanted items these guys have, any mage who walks down this road might spot the remains."

Narrator
 GM, 9250 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 23:32
Re: Against the Mageguild
The rings also have insignia...


you suspect someone had Create Food, and by the condition of the gear, Clean.
Dilandua
 player, 189 posts
 Shadow Elf
 FP 12/4 HP 10/10
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 23:53
Re: Against the Mageguild
Seeing that Dne was birding to himself, Dilandua readdresses the question to the ex-slave, "You are called Virgilio?  Can you sort the magical from non-magical?  Can you detect if spells are laid on these books or the case?  Magicry is not my strong suit."
Virgilio Hohlfeld
 player, 49 posts
 Apprentice wizard
 Tall and very thin
Tue 10 Aug 2021
at 09:12
Re: Against the Mageguild
The tall, thin former prisoner turns as Dilandua diverts his attention from the Guild marks.

"Oh, of course.  I'm -- er, I was mainly a research assistant during my apprenticeship.  Mage Sight should do what's needed, lets me see enchanted items and active spells, sometimes even identify them.  Let me get started."

He takes a couple steps away from the shadow elf, goes through a complicated gesture while muttering under his breath, then repeats the entire process a second time, speaking arcane words in a clear voice.

"Now, let's have a look around."  He begins scanning bodies, equipment, and the area of the fight, looking for the aura of magic.  "Can someone help with turning these bodies?  I need to check under them, too."

[Private to GM: 04:58, Today: Virgilio Hohlfeld rolled 15 using 3d6.  Mage Sight, roll to cast (15 + 1 for extra ritual).]
Reanna Draegan
 player, 667 posts
 HP: 11/11, FP: 10/11
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Tue 10 Aug 2021
at 09:27
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 951):

Ok, so we have

6 sets of light leather gambesons and pants with DR3 corselets,  DR4 helmets and gauntlets, heavy leather boots,

6 good shortswords,
6 ST12 crossbows and quivers, the bolts were strewn by Dne's storm,
6 cheap large knives,
assorted personal basics, red surcoats with the Mageguild insignia.

2 yellow cloaks,
2 yellow surcoats (both badly damaged) two suits of graven brigandine,  one reduced to cheap value from being dragged, 2
2 embellished staves,
2 silvered meteoric daggers,
2 good broadswords

horses: 4 slightly injured light riding horses, with Mageguild brands, and Mageguild saddles and harness and saddlebags.

items: group basics, 4 locked books, 2 branded writing kits, the sealed document case,

Pouches with a total of $716 in copper and $860+$660 in silver, $480  as six gold coins
2 gold rings,

virtually every item has their insignia. Does this include the weapons? How easy is it to remove the insignia?

Reanna will collect the coins and rings in a single pouch, and collect the meteoric Daggers and one staff if no-one else takes it.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:07, Wed 11 Aug 2021.

Dilandua
 player, 190 posts
 Shadow Elf
 FP 12/4 HP 10/10
Tue 10 Aug 2021
at 19:40
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC:  I'm making a "Loot" table, I should have it up by tomorrow.  Granted some things won't be priced as I have no idea how much having Imperial Mage's Guild insignia on everything will cut the price.  We might need to do some "buyer hunting" when we get back to Northport.
Reanna Draegan
 player, 668 posts
 HP: 11/11, FP: 10/11
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Tue 10 Aug 2021
at 20:29
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 954):

Or some insignia removal...
Virgilio Hohlfeld
 player, 50 posts
 Apprentice wizard
 Tall and very thin
Tue 10 Aug 2021
at 22:52
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC: Virgilio has lifted a belt pouch and a personal basics packet, and is very interested in the possibilities of insignia removal.
Dne Utrotare
 player, 347 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Wed 11 Aug 2021
at 02:39
Re: Against the Mageguild
OOC: Please let me know when I’ve fully recovered.
Narrator
 GM, 9258 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Thu 12 Aug 2021
at 17:33
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dne Utrotare (msg # 957):

Dnd is recovered
Reanna Draegan
 player, 669 posts
 HP: 11/11, FP: 10/11
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Thu 12 Aug 2021
at 20:33
Re: Against the Mageguild
In reply to Narrator (msg # 958):

I am not sure Dnd will ever recover! Lol, but good to have Dne back with us to finish the cleanup!

Goods to be taken, including everything with an insignia, bodies to be destroyed, remains burner and buried/scattered.
Virgilio Hohlfeld
 player, 51 posts
 Apprentice wizard
 Tall and very thin
Thu 12 Aug 2021
at 21:47
Re: Against the Mageguild
"Tell me when you're ready.  I can make a fire a dozen yards across, if necessary, and keep it going for as long as it takes -- or as long as I can stay awake, whichever comes first.

"If we spread the bodies out, we should be able to burn them to ash in a couple hours.  If your mage knows Essential Fire, we could cut that time -- did I mention I'm still an apprentice?"

Dilandua
 player, 191 posts
 Shadow Elf
 FP 12/4 HP 10/10
Fri 13 Aug 2021
at 04:01
Against the Mageguild
OOC:  I'm putting together the loot list, Gwythaint how much were you deducting for "Graven with Mageguild Emblem"?  I ask because Fine, Silvered Daggers should be $240, but you listed them as $200.  Are you charging a flat $40 fee for image removal or a percentage (basically a negative Cost Factor)?

Also, I'm pricing anything listed as "badly damaged" as 'cheap' even though cheap kinda means something specific.  And what do you mean by "Good Broadsword" and "Decent" Personal Basics?  Those terms don't have a lot of meaning in the "Fine/Cheap/Etc" pricing descriptors...

And, we're hitting the 1K threshold.  Time for a new thread?


To Reanna and Dne (since Aegis is missing), what about the new guy?  Do we 1) cut him for a share of loot (the "BFFs for life" option), 2) cut him for a set of armor, mundane gear, and some cash (enough to 'ungraven' the armor and pick up some minor gear, or unegraven any mundane gear from this loot - like personal basics, a few pouches, etc - the "Pragmatic" option), or 3) tell him to lump it and charge him for any food or gear we give him on the way back to town (the "Complete Arseholes" option - which I suspect Alice will vociferously argue against).  Also, we should probably have that talk IC, just figured I'd get people thinking about it.

Reanna Draegan
 player, 670 posts
 HP: 11/11, FP: 10/11
 Rank 2 Admin badge
Fri 13 Aug 2021
at 06:53
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 961):

Reanna is still waiting to confirm that we don't shoot him, but option 2 or 3 would be her only options.
Virgilio Hohlfeld
 player, 52 posts
 Apprentice wizard
 Tall and very thin
Fri 13 Aug 2021
at 09:13
Against the Mageguild
During a lull in moving and searching bodies, Virgilio rehearses a different gesture, then repeats it with a single foreign-sounding word.  "Okay, still normal, just like always."

OOC: My player is fine with any option that doesn't involve shooting me.

[Private to GM: 05:11, Today: Virgilio Hohlfeld rolled 5 using 3d6.  Sense Mana, roll to cast (15 + 1 extra time).  Crit?  Does it matter, since I'd get the fatigue back immediately?]
Dne Utrotare
 player, 348 posts
 Anyone
 down there?
Sun 15 Aug 2021
at 18:17
Against the Mageguild
Recovered at last, Dne rises to his full avian height and folds his arms like a kingfisher.  “I know nothing of fire.  Lightning, on the other hand…”
Virgilio Hohlfeld
 player, 53 posts
 Apprentice wizard
 Tall and very thin
Mon 16 Aug 2021
at 09:18
Against the Mageguild
"Okay, it was worth asking -- did they call you Danay?  Almost sounded like Danny."
Narrator
 GM, 9266 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Tue 17 Aug 2021
at 16:57
Against the Mageguild
In reply to Dilandua (msg # 961):

that should have been 240 for the daggers.


the graving removal should cost 10% of value,

cheap is the relative value of the damaged goods.

resume in After the Battle