Roleplaying Thread.   Posted by Kitten.Group: 0
Kitten
 GM, 5040 posts
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 15:53
Roleplaying Thread
To the Freelancers surprise the Charleston Raid was aborted early.  They were, however not complaining since they were being compensated for the early termination of the contract.  (The xmas bonus)

Any plans to extend their stay on the dusty planet were forgotten as word came that Omni itself was under attack.  Boosting off from Charleston went off without incident, the Garrison was pleased to see the mercs go and did nothing to slow their departure.

While the mercs were busy on Charleston, the Omni Jumpships have had ample time to draw power for the trip home.  As these operations go, it was remarkably quick.  It was obvious that the Omni natives were eager to be away to see what the status was on Omni.  The jump was made within the hour of the Freelancer's dropships docking.

The jump to Omni was equally brief, and dropships were quickly undocked to burn for planetfall.  News from the planet was not good.  While the Freelancers were on Charleston the Taurian Concordat have executed operations to take Omni.

Olympus, the Omni space traffic station was still functional but broadcasting warnings to turn commercial traffic away from a planet at war.  The only traffic cleared for approach were Concordat dropships.

The news wasnt all bad, Omni's 101st Airwing, contested the airspace.  The X-6 LAMs flew shifts to direct Omni reinforcements.






"It's good to see you Freelancers.

 I only wish that the news i could offer you was better.  The Concordat evidently have been planning this invasion for some time.  Minutes after Olympus fell, Concordat Mechs were making Planetfall.  Commercial dropships that were suppose to be loaded with heavy equipment destined for distribution elsewhere in the Periphery were exposed to be hauling conventional support.

 Honestly it's not looking good, but planetside, there are still knots of resistance.
"

A tight beam transmission is made to the Freelancers with information on the situation planet side.

"You can do the most good dropping straight into battle.  At the moment the conflict hasnt moved beyond Eden, but it's just a matter of time.

The Eden Spaceport is firmly in Concordat hands.  If we can contest it and disrupt operations there it would stall reinforcements and buy us some breathing space to organize resistance to their occupation.  You wont be able to hold the spaceport but you'll certainly catch their attention if you drop there, forcing them to divert units to deal with you.  (Game Note:  This is the only mission that will allow you to find a place to have a dropship land gaining you access to conventional units to deploy, and potentially use for the mission, most notably Unit Transports.)

The heavy fighting at the Space Port is over, but there's still fighting going on in the city.  Pockets of resistance are stalling their advance and buying time for high profile resources to be cleared out.  We have assets on the ground that could use help dealing with the Concordat.  The situation is very chaotic and i couldnt say for certain what you were dropping into.  (Game Note:  You've played enough mission where the objective was to destroy static buildings, in this one, your job is to protect them from Op Force looking to destroy them.  Omni Conventional units are in the area to assist.)

The Eden Military Academy.  We havent been able to send help there, but the training cadres, have been making an effort to stall the Concordat's advances to take the school.  It's a storehouse of tech and talent that needs to be protected.  They've been fighting a holding action to buy time for transports to clear out as much equipment as possible, and clear out as much staff as possible.  (Game Note:  There will be several Omni Transports that are being loaded, that the Mercs will need to protect from an aggressive Concordat effort to capture or at least prevent from escaping.  A few Cadets in power loaders are on the ground to assist.)
Penny Plenty
 player, 300 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 16:18
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Penny frowns at the mucky mess of news.  Omni was a nice place.  Good weather, good people, and she didnt like what she was seeing.  Her show was all about being flighty and cute, not a war correspondant.

Still... the networks had sent her out here to get some 'street cred', so maybe this wasnt a bad thing.  She gave Lucius and Pax a concerned look.

"Looks... messy.", she comments stating the obvious.

Crossing her arms, she regarded the tactical situation, sure she was considered a fluff head, but you didnt get to where she was by actually being one.

"I'm the new kid on the block, so i dont want to rock the boat and get people killed by throwing my weight around.  So what's your take on the situation?"
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 485 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 16:27
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"More Regina Misadventures..."

Fight hard... Play hard.

Regina was more than pleased to take a few days off from doing Blake's will and dispatching heathens to his attention to take to task.  The book Lucius had given her was rather interesting.  It was a first printing of the Word of Blake, and signed by his own hand, but really it was more.  Someone must have gotten something wrong somewhere because there were entire sections that seemed to be hand written and penned in Blake's own hand.

Personal insights... Observations of how things were, would probably be, and should be... Speculation on the Exodus... and what that might have meant.  Lots and lots and lots of stuff.

She would take time off to eat... cat nap... and the occasional shower.  It was towards the end of the return trip to Omni when they were being told to prep for drop that she felt 'it'.

"Well bugger."

It had been ... days...?  weeks? maybe even months? since Lucius had given her the book.  Between reading the book, and killing stuff when she was told, she had forgotten all but the most basic of needs.  Less than a hour till drop and Regina realizes that she was feeling Randy, and in need of a roll in the hay.

"Lucius said not to break anyone again...", she mumbles to herself.

"At least... not anyone he would notice...", Regina puts away the words of Blake, and goes prowling about to see how much damage she can do to someone... it was only a hour... surely that would limit the damage she would inflict... wouldnt it?

"Maybe... Morgan?", she thinks to herself as she see's him pass by.

That cute commander with the strong jaw, and aquiline nose?  He looked sturdy enough, but appearances could be deceiving.

"Oh well.", Regina intended to spend the next hour or so finding out.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:39, Fri 19 Dec 2014.

Roger Simms
 player, 397 posts
 Call sign: Viking
 lrms 12/12,12/12
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 16:34
Re: Roleplaying Thread
 He had taken the chance to wash his hair and once again trim it back to normal(for him) and dressed in clean clothes before rejoining the team in the command center.

 It was easy to notice the New Reporter was still with the unit, to that thought he smiled, he would not complain about having a nice looking woman who knew how to drive a mech, but it was also raising the company's exposure to the universe.

 He would not be surprised to see the units rating raised by the Wolves and thus getting a chance at other big jobs.

 The read out was another matter as he looked down the troubles below. A frown crossed his face along to his eye brows tightening to make ridges over his nose.

 The words of Penny came thru but he did not turn her way, instead he offered his thoughts, "First things first, first thing i might see important is to get the ground pounder's down at the space port and get the gear off, to do that we really need to get that port. Still, that is just my thoughts."
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 38 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 16:56
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Adam lounged about.  He wasn't part of any unit and his services were going to be in decent demand because of his mech's loadout and with any luck the Ripper Crew he had sent a message to before the Charleston raid.  They were supposed to meet him on Eden but he wasn't sure if they had made it before the Concordant had decided to go after the planet or not.

Out of the range of most vid-link capabilities he was forced to watch some of the old Penny Plenty re-runs that he had.  Girl had serious cajones on her Raven to go with her personality.  He sipped idly on his mixed drink from an old sippee cup that he had gotten ages ago from ComStar when he opened his account there and it was a 'free' gift.
Teri Knight
 player, 237 posts
 Panther, P5, G5
 Callsign: Catgirl
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 17:11
Re: Roleplaying Thread
   Teri just returned from overseeing the repair work on Bad Kitty.  Teri knew that she obsessed over the Panther, but after all, it had been in the family for a long time.  She knew it was her duty to her family to keep it in the best shape possible.  She also knew that if she ever gave up being Bad Kitty's pilot, she would be stuck on some backwater planet bound and gagged by her family ties.

   Teri snagged a glass of some nameless concoction of alleged fruit juices and went to check in with her teammates.  It seemed that someone was hitting Omni, the only place she had felt at home in a long time.  She listened for a few minutes.  Finally, she voiced her question...  "Is this one going to be a pro bono publico contract?  I mean, we are getting paid, right?"
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 486 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 18:13
Re: Roleplaying Thread
... short commercial break ...

Regina steps into the frame.  Her hair is worn up in a black old maid bun.  She's wearing clunky black framed glasses, worn low on the tip of her nose so she can actually see with her 20/20 visions (she heard glasses makes a person looks smarter...).  Over a conservative white blouse (it's conservative cause it's actually buttoned up to her neck) she wears a black university graduate style robe over.  A yard stick is in her hand which she has in her right hand taps lightly on the open palm of her left hand.

"Today's lesson is physics.

 Energy can neither be created... nor destroyed... merely converted from one form to another, or transfers from one medium to the other.  Observe...  A standard solar collector might gather energy to store in a normal everyday power cell used to power your head set, or laser pistol, or some other productive use.  However... if you gather it, and walk away to read the words of Blake... you over charge the battery to explosive effect.
"

Behind Regina a cartoony illustration slides along as she speaks, first of a sun, with little squiggle lines shining on a dish collecting it's energy into a square with a +/- end to indicate a battery.  As Regina finishes her dialogue the battery explodes.

"Such is the situation our little mechwarrior finds herself in."

Regina swats a school table with the yardstick, making a sharp snapping sound.

"The lesson of the day.  Anything to excess is bad.  Even... the blessed words of Blake... should be taken in moderation.", Regina looks away to one side as if she's uttered blasphemy when she says her lines.

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled smut... I mean... Program... Program, definitely program.", Regina corrects herself waving to the camera man to cut.

... Screen fades to Black ... Suggested sounds of Regina's activities with Morgan play against the black screen ...

This message was last edited by the player at 18:13, Fri 19 Dec 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1520 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 19:21
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc listened to the news and looked around the room for Morgan for the third time.  The boy had connections that he would never have and that was why he'd made him XO in the Ironswords over Olaf.  With a shake of his head after listening to Penny he used his comm to send a message, "Olaf.  I don't know where Morgan is but considering we're dropping sooner rather than later...round up the men.  You're the XO and when I find Morgan I'm going to break his neck if he hasn't had it broken already.  Hassan and Malcolm will work in mine, Roger and Greyson in yours.  Get it ironed out."

Looking back to Penny and Pax he shrugged while switching the cigar he was idly chewing on to the other side of his mouth, "Logistics always seems to be a bitch."

He pointed at the existing data, "You've got defenders in the city, what counts for guerrilla warfare in thse parts at the port and babies defending the keys to the warheads.  If we go in as one, the port would be the best place to do the most damage with a hot drop in.  Though with close buildings most of what will be my second lance won't be able to use their LRMs.  If we split into three to tackle each one the Pussycats would do the best in the city with no intel.  Your EW would be the make or break to not only figure out what's going on but who to save and how to best do it.  Lancers could flit at the port and draw off enemies to ambush.  Ironswords could then drop at the school and take advantage of their LRM's to rain death down as they tried to come after the cadets...cause those girls are next to worthless in those things."
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 148 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 19:58
Re: Roleplaying Thread
He'd been up to his neck in company supply requisitions all morning; put in the effort as best he could until he felt as if his eyes were bleeding.  The heavy stack of paperwork had been set aside for an hour or two as he went to hit some heavy weights then finish off a workout with the heavy bag.  It was between rounds with the bag that Olaf got the call from Luc.

"Ain't seen his highness since this morning, boss.  He umm... bowed out of sim time and left the company deck shortly after breakfast.  With Reggie."  Slipping on a t-shirt he thought he heard a growled curse as the comms channel closed.  Grabbing his water bottle he headed off into the belly of the ship to rally the troops, crack the whip on the techs and get himself on to the briefing room.  It sounded like things were moving fast and the mercs were in for another round much sooner than anticipated.  With at least two major changes to the roster it would be another first run out with fresh faces.  New talent and probably new egos.

Just another day in the Ironswords.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 20:08, Fri 19 Dec 2014.

Regina Arlington
 Alt, 487 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 20:24
Re: Roleplaying Thread
... Suggested sounds of Regina's activities with Morgan play against the black screen ...

... Audio fades to silence and Regina fades onto the screen still wearing her instructor/professor clothes ...

"Now... that we have it straight that energy can neither be destroyed or created, we shall look at how we use it.  Observe.  This simple stove is powered by this ... simple power cell."

Regina steps to one side and shows a field stove, simmering some sausage and eggs in a common field kit, easily recognizable to any soldier that spends time in the field.

"Observe how the slow draining of power from the cell is constructive, when drawn out over a long period of time, such applications can be beneficial...", Regina kneels and sticks a fork into a piece of sausage and nibbles on the tip, arching an eyebrow she adds, "... and tasty."

"Right that same power cell... ", Regina stands and shows off a simple common power cell found anywhere in the inner sphere, "... can also be expended in a short burst... "

Stepping back, Regina slips the power cell into a laser pistol and aims at the flying pan before snapping off a few shots.  Predictably the food flares up and quickly becomes cinders, as a hole is burnt through the thin metal of the field pan.  Regina picks up the pan and holds it infront of her face.  You can clearly see the hole burnt through it to the other side.

"The same energy... released over a short span of time... not so tasty.", Regina lets the pan slip out of her hand while stepping away from the mess she just made.

"The lesson of the day.  Friends... shouldnt let friends... play with loaded laser pistols, when they're trying to cook some eggs.", Regina unloads the Laser Pistol and drops the Power Cell and Pistol on the ground, and starts to stride off screen.  As she struts she pulls a few hair pins out and takes her glasses with a flourish.  A shake of her head, has her hair shake loose of the confining bun back into their normal style.  Finger tear the blouse off which is shed along with the dark robes, and you have a brief glance of Regina exiting off the screen in her plugsuit.

... Screen fades to Black ... Suggested sounds of Regina's activities with Morgan play against the black screen ...

This lasts for a few more seconds before, there's a masculine cry of anguished pain.

"Oh Shyt!  Lucius is gonna kill me!"

Screen credits start to roll by as the program draws to a close.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:41, Fri 19 Dec 2014.

Teri Knight
 player, 247 posts
 Panther, P5, G5
 Callsign: Catgirl
Sat 20 Dec 2014
at 23:20
Re: Roleplaying Thread
   Teri looked for Penny to share her good news.  "I didn't get a chance to share this with you earlier.  I was working on Bad Kitty.  I received a message from my family that wasn't the usual stop-throwing-your-life-away-and-come-back-home-o-gram.  It seems that someone I never met married somebody else I've never heard of before.  I've been advanced, or promoted, or something.  In my family, that means when it's time to take out the garbage can, I get the side with the cleaner handle."
Penny Plenty
 player, 318 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Sat 20 Dec 2014
at 23:45
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"That sounds like really great news, we should get Lily to film a short clip on this, we might be able to use it on a documentary on the show."

Penny looks around for Lily, her gal friday that usually handles her camera work.  After a brief look of confusion, Penny seems to get excited.  A small gaggle of girls descends around Penny and Teri.  There's much giggling and excitement as Penny seems to know the new arrivals.

After a brief moments, Penny remembers her manners.  "Girls... Meet one of our Pussycats in training, Dame Knight... Though she was just about to tell us that she might be moving up on the food chain."

"Teri... meet... Randy... Brandy... Mandy... and Sandy.  The Pussycat Quadruplets...", Penny gives them all a puzzled look and a shake of her head, "What the hell are you doing out here?"

"Rick thought you were getting lonely out here, so he sent out a few of the Pussycats 'A' Team, to keep us company... and you know... help with the rating.", Lily comments as she continues filming.

"Rick's a Dick.", Penny comments on camera looking straight at Lillian.

"Great, i'm going to have to edit that out later, you just love making work for me dont you?"

"We'll have to introduce Teri to some of the girls, and split the talent between us.  It sounds like it might be messy down there, so... not all glitz and glamour, but we'll try and keep it light and have fun.  Pussycat primp!"

At Penny's last comment all the girls strike a pose for Lily's camera.  If Teri is slow to act, Penny will pull her into the picture with a (maybe, too) friendly hug for the camera.
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 150 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Sun 21 Dec 2014
at 02:31
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Midway through his errands headed toward the mech bay, Olaf passed the impromptu on camera grab-assing.  "Looks like next season will be one to watch." he said flashing Penny a mock salute on his way past the group.
Teri Knight
 player, 248 posts
 Panther, P5, G5
 Callsign: Catgirl
Sun 21 Dec 2014
at 03:44
Re: Roleplaying Thread
   Teri was blindsided by the arrival of the... Pussycat Quadruplets?   The Mercenary and apprentice tech known as Catgirl knew the well worn, grease stained coveralls she wore while servicing the fittings on Bad Kitty's leg actuators suffered greatly when compared to the sparkly ensembles worn by the quadruplets.  Teri tried to brush an errant strand of hair out of the way, but only managed to smear a bit of grease across her cheek.

   "Ummm, Penny?  This miiight not be the best time for an interview."  Teri shuddered to think how her scruffy mechanic's attire would be received by her family.  When Penny's other crew struck some kind of pose on cue.  Teri just stood there with a puzzled look on her face.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 786 posts
 Lancers CO - 1st Lt
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Sun 21 Dec 2014
at 06:44
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Lucius McMurphy:
"If we split into three to tackle each one the Pussycats would do the best in the city with no intel.  Your EW would be the make or break to not only figure out what's going on but who to save and how to best do it.  Lancers could flit at the port and draw off enemies to ambush.  Ironswords could then drop at the school and take advantage of their LRM's to rain death down as they tried to come after the cadets...cause those girls are next to worthless in those things."


Pax also looked over his copy of the reports coming in.  "Penny, I want to hear your ideas, your battle plan worked out very well in our last battle." 

Looking over to Lucius, "I was thinking the same thing for the Lancers, Burner.  Holding ground and protecting a static target is a tall order for a fast unit. "
Penny Plenty
 player, 331 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Sun 21 Dec 2014
at 23:22
Re: Roleplaying Thread
{In the Strat. Meeting with Lucius and Pax}

Penny purses her lips thoughtful for a moment before answer.

"It's a mess down there, i think we shouldnt drop so spread out and thin ourselves out.

 When you have half a dozen bush fires going, and you try and put them all out with finite water... you're going to burn off the water, and do absolutely nothing, but waste your resources and watch it all burn down.

 Throw everything you have at on point and you might get one or two of the fires out before youre out of water.

 Spaceport looks like the most hostile, but if we drop there, we can maybe surprise them and hold them off long enough to get our mule down along with all our transports.

 From there, we can move out into the Eden and work through the city to clear it as we go, marching all the way to the Academy.
"

Penny shrugs, "If it were up to me, we'd drop on the Spaceport in force.  It sounds like theres little local support there, so we can support each other."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:23, Sun 21 Dec 2014.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 799 posts
 Lancers CO - 1st Lt
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Mon 22 Dec 2014
at 06:37
Re: Roleplaying Thread
To the unit commanders, "I do like the idea of us amassing in force and blasting the attackers back to where they came from.  Been awhile since we were all together taking out the trash."  Pax finished with a large wolf smile.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1546 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Mon 22 Dec 2014
at 15:27
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Tactically it's sound, but if we do it there won't be an Academy except for the dead cadets, destroyed buildings and the straggling Bull looters.  After working with them for such a long time now I've grown kinda fond of them...even if they are horrible pilots they've got heart and I don't want to see that many young snuffed out." chewed Luc over the predicament.  For as much gruff as he was he had come to appreciate their ideas and even their technically faulty tech.  They were thinking forward instead of statically or backwards.

Looking at the maps he added, "The Lancers and Brigade all have fast or maneuverable rides.  You could attack and fade at the spaceport well together and once they mass their counterattack can fade away.  Half of my guys are too slow and would be overrun in dropping on a spot we can't hold longer than enough time to offload the transports.  Let's split in two.  You two at the port and the Ironswords at the Academy.  Hell even dropping one blade at the Academy would make the difference needed in a rally point while the other drops with you."
Penny Plenty
 player, 335 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Mon 22 Dec 2014
at 15:35
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Spaceport is going to be messy.

 We're going to need muscle there, or we might as well not show up at all.

 If were not going to all drop there, we can all aim for the School.  It'll mean giving up the spaceport, and conventional support till we can find a place for the dropships to land (no salvage), but it'll keep use concentrated and prevent the ugliness that happened on Charleston.
"

Penny wasnt there, but had heard stories of the ineffectiveness of the Freelancers during the Normandy incident.  She had no intentions of being mired in a situation like that with less than the full weight of the Freelancers.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1564 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 23 Dec 2014
at 04:33
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc chewed his cigar again not wanting to leave those kids to their fate before adding, "Let's hit the Spaceport.  We'll tell the Omni folks know that we're hitting it in full force and they might be able to divert some assets to help the kids out at the Academy.  It won't be us but it might be enough.  I hope it's enough..."

He grumbled unhappily at the facts.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:42, Tue 23 Dec 2014.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 808 posts
 Lancers CO - 1st Lt
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Tue 23 Dec 2014
at 04:50
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Pax was glad they could agree on a plan without spending endless hours debating a plan.

"Its agreed then.  We hit'em hard, get our supplies unloaded, and then link up with the defense forces to kick these guys back into space."
Kitten
 GM, 5137 posts
Tue 23 Dec 2014
at 04:53
Re: Roleplaying Thread
As the Merc leadership deliberates and settles on the airport, the plans quickly go into effect on what needs to be done...

(To be continued in missions...)
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 41 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Tue 23 Dec 2014
at 21:44
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Adam watched as the purchases that he had made from the profits of Charleston were rolled up to the storage bins by his Hatchetman.  He waved his hand at Max while asking, "So how does that Sixer look from Plenty?  She's got some damn perky guns that are nice to look at so tell me she keeps the metal ones in good condition."

Max shook his head, "Flawless.  Doesn't look like this thing so any wear at all.  I'm going to work on those housings to make sure if you need to hot-swap it in it'll go as smooth as possible.  So leave me to me work and quit interrupting me with any number of the pin-ups you have of her...just cause you were both on Solaris doesn't mean she'll give you any more time of day like that Day sister did."

Adam waved him off with a grumble and he went back to reading in his makeshift hammock.
Svend
 player, 5 posts
 Backdraft
Thu 25 Dec 2014
at 05:24
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svend undid the strap of his duffle at the bottom of the shuttle ramp. It had been a shell of a ride from Solaris to the Periphery but he was glad he was here. Work was getting scarce after his incident and word was the outer planets were rife with conflict and knee deep in mercs. He smiled as he saw his contact for the system and dug out a few bottles from his bag. They were Solaris brewed and had made the journey along with the meager possessions Svend could afford to cart with him.

Tossing one of the bottles to the man in the hammock, Svend smiled wryly as he spoke. "Just like I promised, one beer when we see each other out here. It's even that arena swill you like so much."

This message was last updated by the player at 04:02, Fri 26 Dec 2014.

Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 42 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 00:32
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Taking the beer in the gut Adam looked up from his old school paper magazine and let out a laugh, "Gods above and below it may be donkey piss but I can't help but loving it."

Moving the drink to the side he stood up and tossed out his still living hand for Svend to grasp, "Good to have you out here old man.  I know these Eden girls need all the help they can get.  Bulls came for their homeworld...if they are making a real push to conquer it it's going to be a messy fight, but messy is what you and I are good at."
Svend
 player, 6 posts
 Backdraft
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 03:13
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svend smiled broadly and clapped his hand hard in Adam's for a hardy shake. He set his bag down and pulled out a bottle of his own, brandishing a bottle opener as he did. He made a motion to open Adam's first and took a seat on his bag. Once settled, Svend raised his own bottle for a cheery toast. "How do we always end up in messes like these? I didn't think it was this bad out here. Hell, they hired you didn't they?" , he said with a chuckle.

He looked very interested in his beer for a long moment before taking a more serious tone. "Shoot straight with me here, as one stand up guy to another, has it hit the fan yet? Are we seeing any major plays from the big houses?"
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 43 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 03:23
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Adam shook his head as he drank from the beer with a sigh of contentment, "Not that big of shit hitting the fan no, but The Taurian Concordant has mobilized a hell of a lot in the last year to seemingly try to undermine and destroy these Eden girls.  My guess is they want to subjugate them and take over their production facilities...you know these Bulls...wanting to play like the big boys but never quite making it."
Svend
 player, 7 posts
 Backdraft
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 03:31
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svend was happy to hear none of the great houses were in deep. That meant they actually had a chance to do some real good instead of getting bombarded by never ending troops and lances. Svend nodded at Adam a few times in understanding before the wry smile came back, "Good thing I brought stuff for a BBQ!"
Teri Knight
 player, 256 posts
 Panther, P5, G5
 Callsign: Catgirl
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 03:31
Re: Roleplaying Thread
   Teri saw that the Pussycat Quadruplets were distracted when Penny became involved with a discussion of mission tactics.  Teri took a couple of quiet steps backward to disengage from this ambush.  When she was clear, she turned and went back to the mech bay.  Bad Kitty had just had a major refit.  Teri needed to know beyond the faintest shadow of a doubt that her ride was in tip-top shape for the messy upcoming run.  She picked up the grease gun.  Those leg joints weren't going to lube themselves.
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 44 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 03:38
Re: Roleplaying Thread
A pleased rumble came from Adam, "I haven't had good barbecue since Solaris."

He sat down on the edge of the hammock between his Hatchetman's legs and pointed to one of the ammo boxes that contained some of the new cluster munitions he had bought for Svend to sit on, "Course you're going to be a lot more busy than I am.  You're going to be full time Ironsword last I caught wind.  They get the job done but they are in the thick of it."  When he spotted Teri roll back into the bay to work on her Panther he made an off-handed wave.
Svend
 player, 8 posts
 Backdraft
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 03:43
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svend gave a knowing smile. "Every time I ride, I'm always in the thick of it. Saves me the trouble of looking for it. Plus, as a parting gift, the sponsors gave me some nice tech to play with out here. Nothing too fancy but the Lady Luck is not standard anymore," he finished with a cocked eyebrow as Adam waived. He chuckled again and dug out a pack of cigarettes, offering one to Adam.
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 45 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 03:48
Re: Roleplaying Thread
He shook his head and grinned while knocking on his bionic arm, "Gave them up when I left.  Docs said if I kept at them that I was going to need some ferro-titanium lungs to go with my legs and arm."

Adam then laughed, "Yeah my sponsors are still looking for me.  They were under the understanding I was going to take a dive...not the happiest that I took the last three in a sweep."
Svend
 player, 9 posts
 Backdraft
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 03:53
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svend pointed a cigarette Adam before lighting it. "That was your own damn fault. You know those boys don't like losing money. Still, if I can find you, they likely have and thought it was too much bother to come after you. Now, tell me about these Eden girls. I should try to find my officer to report in but my beer isn't done and you have peaked my curiosity."
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 46 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 04:13
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Just more likely they are taking their time.  Yakuza always like to make their point in...creative...ways.  Sides if I'm in the middle of a major scruff it's harder to have accidents and more expensive to them too." he laughed and shook his head.

He pointed his hand upwards at his girl's torso where the usual large AC/10 should be and Svend spotted not only a smaller one in it's place but a slew of what looked like machine-guns pointing all over the place, "Swapped out the big club for one of their smaller guns.  Almost the same range at one third the mass.  She's decked out in extra armour and those infantry swatters...plus some of that cellular ammunition storage equipment.  But that's not the reason those Bulls are interested in these Eden girls.  No for that you need to look over at your new CO's ride over there..."

His hand pointed over towards a truly strange looking mech that seemed to be about the size of a Valkyrie but sporting a sword in one hand and a pair of lasers in the torsos and little else.  That said she appeared to be sporting the new ferro-titanium armour in an odd armour pattern, "They seem to be able to produce not only actual battlemechs out here but ones that no one has ever seen before."
Svend
 player, 10 posts
 Backdraft
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 04:22
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svend shrugged his shoulders. "What do you mean? Solaris has plenty of oddball designers with money to spare. They produce strange configs all the time. I remember seeing a few of those Urbanmechs loaded out in all manner of equipment. Strange don't mean effective, you know that. Hells bells, you remember that Davion youngster that gussied up his little Flea and thought he could take on an Atlas?"
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 47 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 04:30
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"'Cept these aren't strange configs.  They pump out distinct new chassis.  What's strange is..." he thought back to Solaris and matches that happened in the past before continuing, "...you remember that guy that brought in his family heirloom, that Mongoose from back in the SLDF days?  How he always took hits to those torso lasers and could hot-swap out replacements pretty fast?  These guys can hot-swap just about any weapon in the torso or arms faster than you can pull a laser off the arm of a Wasp.  In a full out war the capacity to effect battlefield repairs in minutes rather than hours...you could push front lines faster than a defender could re-position and repair their mechs."
Svend
 player, 11 posts
 Backdraft
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 04:36
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svend leaned forward, cigarette dangling in his fingers as he pointed. "You're telling me that the ten pound brains here have figured out how to make interchangeable parts for any mechanism, no matter make or model?" He snorted and laughed, "Now I know you're full of shit."
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 48 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 04:42
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Not 20 minutes before you got here that thing over there had a Doomblood SRM6 launcher with integrated CASE and a one ton 'clip'...a frakking 'clip' of ammo sticking out of it like some sort of crazy shotgun.  Now you could barely even tell it was there." he replied with another point of his finger at the X-3a that was sitting pretty and bore the Ironswords logo on his shoulder.
Svend
 player, 12 posts
 Backdraft
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 04:47
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svend shook his head. "Whelp, you're either a liar or the stakes for this place are a lot more than people back near the core realise. I'd heard nothin' bout this. I knew some planets had crazy tech coming out, but this beats it all."
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 49 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 04:54
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Adam laughed, "Supposedly your CO picked up that ride back when they were in a better mood to selling them out...and that one isn't their top of the line either.  It's one of the line units.  Course the reason why they need us is cause while they've got brains they don't have skills.  They can build some serious tech but when it comes to using it..." he shook his head before looking around to make sure that none of them were around, "...they really fight like 1st year cadets.  And that's after they graduate.  Only a small handful of them fight as good as you and I and even fewer as good as the crazy Blake girl or your CO."
Svend
 player, 13 posts
 Backdraft
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 05:14
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Their fighting is not really the question, Now is it? What are the bulls like on the field? Do they play knights like the big houses or are they supported with air and troops like a real army? Do they have any of this tech yet, because that would make it damn tough to wrangle with them," Svend inquired.
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 50 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 05:22
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Some of the weapons yeah.  Don't think any of the mechs yet...they call them Power Loaders...but if they are attacking their home in force it's just a matter of time before they capture them and start using them against their creator." he shook his head a bit at the thought.

"Tanks, VTOL's and infantry are at least half of their force usually but they are a little weak on air power till this point.  Course it's possible they massed it for this assault.  If you've still got those flamers they will do a number on their infantry just like the mass of machineguns I've got on my gal."
Kitten
 GM, 5153 posts
Fri 26 Dec 2014
at 16:06
Roleplaying Thread
It was 'go' time, the moments before the drop.

There was little news from Omni, what was received was not good news.

The Freelancers had determined that they were not going to drop without their conventional support.  One way or another, they were going to have the means to implement repairs, even if they had to drag it along on their own transports.  The Concordat has left a company of mechs and a line company of Conventional support.  Infantry remain to keep the civilians in line and keep the Concordat in control of the space port.

Unit assignments were worked out and passed out.  There were three important phases of the operation, that needed to be executed.  If all went well, they would be in and out of the Spaceport before the Concordat knew they were there.  Of course, that was a big 'If'.

The Pussycat Brigade were assigned the task of clearing out the Op Force reserves that were guarding the Control Tower and hanger.  Once their conventional support was cleared out, the Omni ground troops would have a chance to retake the buildings to contest Concordat control of the Space Port.

The Light Lancers were asssigned the task of securing a Dropship Pad for the Freelancer's Mule to drop long enough to get conventional units out and made available for deployment.

The Iron Swords were deployed at the Space Port's Main gate.  They were required to neutralize the sentries there and repel any effort by the Concordat to retake the Gate.

On paper the objectives were clean cut, the ease of execution was something that remained questionable.
Kitten
 GM, 5161 posts
Sat 27 Dec 2014
at 18:14
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Mission Fourteen Orders.

Pussycats take and hold Control Tower / Hanger.  {BM Omega}
Penny, David, and Teri
Reyvak, Michel, and (f) Regina


Lancers take and hold Landing Pad.  {BM Tau}
Pax, Akarian, Daniel, Joaquin
Donovan, (f)Jake


Iron Swords take and hold Space Port Gate.  {Kitten}
Lucius, Piotr, Svend
Olaf, Roger, Grayson,
(f) Adam


Damien, deploying with Lancer or Ironswords, being discussed.

Malcom, Mattias, and Quintin on Inactive List.

I believe that's everyone, if i missed you best speak up.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:16, Sat 27 Dec 2014.

Regina Arlington
 Alt, 507 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Sun 18 Jan 2015
at 20:03
Re: Roleplaying Thread
It was minutes to the drop, and Regina went through her pre-combat routine of an inspiring sermon.  It didnt matter that for the most part it amount to her pacing about talking to herself.  There were many non-believers.

In her mind, she was Blake's chosen, charged with the duty of delivering the faithless masses into his guiding light to lead them away from darkness and ignorance.  While nothing has changed for Regina, her religious convictions couldnt be denied, nor could her impressive tally of wreckage left in her wake, on... and (* cough *) off the battlefield.

"... and Blake said that the worlds upon which we were blessed to call home was good.  It was only when the filth of humanity... the craven sins of greed and violence that contaminated the worlds that they became the living hells that they are now.

Blessed are the chosen of Blake.  For through his light will we be guided to the paradise and havens of good and plenty from days of yore.
"

Regina was in rare form this time around.  While much of which she spouted seemed to be inane gibberish, the blessings which she gave out at the end made it all worthwhile.  While these blessings were of dubious value, it couldnt be denied that those that shunned her sermons have  suffered horrible fates during missions, while Regina herself seemed to waltz through danger unscathed while leaving a trail blessed souls that she personally sends to Blake's keeping.

She was slowly starting to gather a following by the curious and those that were superstitious enough to hedge their bets by getting her blessings.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1723 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 22 Jan 2015
at 16:39
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Despite having been at Reggie's blessing Luc had taken a total beating on the drop.  Still the more superstitious might argue that it was because of it that something worse didn't happen.

Calling together those that were in the Ironswords he laid out the game plan, "Olaf...Longsword is going to be command for the Ironswords in this next set of movements.  My Loader has taken a lot of damage and she's not combat ready yet...neither am I.  Doc says I've got two broken ribs and they had to use some resin for a crack in my skull.  Roger, Greyson you're part of Longsword and for this mission I'm having Adam join you to give a little extra umph.  So everyone listen up and listen to him as if it was me."

Pointing his finger at Piotr he added, "That means you're in charge of Broadsword Piotr.  Svend and Malcolm follow his lead and calls."

He grimaced and pulled out an auto-injector and tilted his neck injecting whatever was in the thing into it, "We're aiming for the arena...for those that were here for the games you know where that's at.  Those that don't it's our rally point.  Place has repair bays and is still linked to Omni assets and that means supply routes for ammo, armour and other needed supplies to fight the Bulls.  While you guys are moving through the city to get there I'll be staying with Big Mac and providing cover for it in a worst case scenario."

He looked over the faces and added, "You're going to be in close proximity with the Lancers and Brigade on this and from what I hear both Pax and Penny got beat up just like me so it's all on you guys to get us safely to the arena.  Any questions?"
Kitten
 GM, 5438 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2015
at 17:31
Re: Roleplaying Thread

"Freelancers!  Sorry for the rough reception.
 The neighborhood has gone to hell since the Concordat's been moved in and property values have been plummeting.
"

(* short pause as radio reception is lost *)

"Need to be brief, the bulls arent as dumb as they look and we might lose tranmission abrutly.  Civilian dropships are boosting off while we hold the space port.  We're probably not going to hold it unless we want to pay a steep price, but for now were' getting off as many civilians as we can.

 The 101st, 2nd, and 3rd have all come home and have dropped to firm up hard points around Omni.  A little over two klicks south of the Space Port is the Eden Sports Arena.  The 103rd have deployed to support the militia to hold the position.  It should be a good hard point... for a day or two at least.  We're dug in to hold the position, if you can make the march to us, we should be able to grant you logistical support.
"

(* theres another short pause and the rustling of paper *)

"There's about four lances of Concordats between us.  Three are confirmed conventional.  We have no confirmation on the fourth.  Omni Hawkeye support is reloading, so we wont be much help, but we've disrupted Concordat support as well, so it'll be a straight up fight."

(* There's an explosion in the background and the transmission goes dead for good *)

1 kilcks = 1000 meters ~>  33 Hexes
Pax Tarkin
 player, 866 posts
 Lancers CO - 1st Lt
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Thu 22 Jan 2015
at 18:15
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Pax addresses his unit wearing some obvious medical bandages, though he tries not to let them show.

"Well gang,

Sounds like we need to go on a little walk to meet up with the planet's defense forces.  According to reports there is a few lances between us and them and I don't think we can just avoid them.

We are going to need to punch a hole through them and get everyone to the other side.  My guess is the wounded, badly damages mech, and supply vehicles will skirt the confrontation zone while our lances strike."


Pax a bit unsteady for a few seconds before bracing himself.  He then decides to get to the point so that the unit can get ready for their mission.

"I'm be traveling with the wounded, Joaquin Cortez, you will be acting Unit Leader.

Its important that we get through but its also important we keep our mechs operational.

Joaquin, I'll forward you all incoming intell."


"Good hunting!"
Akarian Euclid
 player, 243 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2015
at 22:39
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Akarian listened to the briefing from Pax, the drop really seemed to have done him in, no doubt the unfortunate cost of slamming through a building on impact. He was slightly surprised to hear Joaquin named acting commander for the next mission, but in truth it tended to not matter a whole lot. They would get the job done, or they would be trapped in a vulnerable position that would be taken back soon, and with no ability to resupply. They didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

"Right, well I'll take lances of enemies I can outrun or destroy any day, over praying to the gods while dropping mostly uncontrolled. We'll get the job done, just heal up quick, cya on the other side boss."
Joaquin Cortez
 player, 253 posts
 Callsign: "WarDog"
 Spider (SDR-5V)
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 02:42
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Joaquin was hesitant to respond at first to Pax's decision. He had never really pictured himself one for Command. He knew he had earned the respect of the C/O in giving him the opportunity.

" Thank you for the vote of confidence Sir... Rest easy and we'll make sure to punch you on through to the end zone. "

He paused a minute hoping the C/O got the Football reference....

" Well you lot heard the boss.... looks like we've got a few dance partners for our next objective. I'll go over the scouting report and give my summary of the PoA (Plan of Action). Take the time to relax.... looks like we won't have much down time gents. "
- Will use our Ready Room for this -
Piotr Kaminski
 player, 190 posts
 R2 (2nd Lieutenant)
 Callsign: Sabre
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 02:53
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Lucius McMurphy:
Pointing his finger at Piotr he added, "That means you're in charge of Broadsword Piotr.  Svend and Malcolm follow his lead and calls."
</DarkBlue>


"Roger that boss.  We'll make these culos pay," Piotr said.  Anyone Piotr hated was a Spanish culo and all Taurians were Spanish in his book.  The Spanish had driven his family from their homeworld on Poznan.  Old animosities and grudges died hard.  He would kill as many of them as he could.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:16, Fri 23 Jan 2015.

Olaf Oleeson
 player, 194 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 03:11
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Taking a knee on this one Luc?" Olaf said playfully.  "Didn't realize you were up for leave already, or are you too bogged down with paperwork to come out an play?" he added feigning disbelief.  "Seriously though, no worries about the team.  You've put together a solid bunch, 'cept for me of course.  It won't exactly be a milk run but I'll hold her together long enough for you get back to the fight."

Looking to Joaquin and Rix he added: "The Swords are probably best suited to be the vanguard for this run.  Put us in the centre along with the Freelancers, we're the heaviest and generally the slowest.  We can hold the Bulls' attention while the Light Lancers and Pussycats are better suited to move around and smack them in the ass."
Donovan O'Brien
 player, 425 posts
 Whitworth
 Callsign: Lucky
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 03:37
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Lucky, after mentally being away for awhile, watches the proceedings and agrees to them in philosophy. The briefing is depressing in the fact that many of our best are now inactive...however, having been there before, honor gained now, reflects well on our mentors.

Standing as the briefing lights dim, comes up to Pax, "I wanted to personally thank you for everything you have done for me, which is far above and beyond the normal protocols. I'll never forget it, and let's settle accounts, when we're both ready."

Looking at Wardog, "Rock and roll, brother."
Reyvak Kellosti
 player, 49 posts
 Javelin | G: 5+ | P: 5+
 Captain "Rixx"
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 04:22
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Rixx nodded, "Splitting up could bite us in the ass, but, It makes sense to let the Conventionals think we are a smaller forces. Just be ready to collapse back together in the event the Lance of Mech's shows up at the wrong time."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1727 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 04:26
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"You would not believe what I have to do Olaf...you go and loose an arm and file injured on the job paperwork..." he grinned as he chewed on his unlit cigar.

"Keep it tight and focus your fire when you can and I'm sure you'll do just fine."
Greyson Strauss
 player, 114 posts
 MechWarrior
 Striker
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 05:00
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Honestly I'm just glad to have a purpose...besides falling flat on my face continuosly, if i can stay on my feet in the next fight i'll do my damnedest to take out some of those drek's."

Anything Greyson went up against was considered a drek, a shithead, an asshole, generally to him, Drek was what you classified who you were fighting, which seemed to fit with the mood of everyone else fighting these Taurains
Daniel Hou
 player, 92 posts
 Callsign: Monk
 Wolfhound
Fri 23 Jan 2015
at 06:36
Re: Roleplaying Thread
From his stretcher Daniel's only comment is a long drawn out groan
Penny Plenty
 player, 394 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Sun 1 Feb 2015
at 15:38
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"You know, I cant believe you're wussing out this mission just cause you got a little boo~boo.  Seriously you came out here for street cred and you're skipping a mission off a bump on the head?  Really?"

"Hey, nuff from the cameraman who films it all from a safe distance.  This bump on the head hurts plenty, and if i get hurt again it could be a concussion and then were would you be?", Penny quips back to her girl Friday.

"Me?  Probably on the first transport back to Solaris and away from this.  I'll drop a flower at your funeral and make sure they do a special with your best stuff for the life and times memorial episode."

"Lillian Perolli, you're all heart, you inspire me to play it safe."

Lily could only grin at the comment, since the Pussycats were coming in for her parting words.

"Morning troops.  I'm going to be sitting out the march to the Omni safe zone.  Lollipop and me will be rolling in with the rest of the Freelancer support units, behind the big distraction that the Freelancer Fighting units will be making by screening ahead through the city should make it a breeze to sneak in.", Penny made an effort to look suitably injured while sounding up beat.  Not for the Pussycats, but for the camera Lily was rolling from the sidelines.

"Hi guys.  Am i late?", Regina waves as she breezes in for the meeting.  As far as Penny was concerned, Regina was perfect.  She was almost everything she needed in a mechwarrior.  Competent, Deadly, Sexy as all hell, with little shame about flashing a bit of flesh for the camera... or not the camera but in general.

"Not at all Siren, I was just giving the troops the news that you were filling in as the fourth for the Pussycat's Lance."

"Oki~Dookie.  What's the mission this time.", there were only two problems with using Regina for Penny's show.  Despite battlefield performance, she came off as a space case, and she was a Blake~ist... or what ever they called themselves.  Religious nuts could be poison, and maybe a little serious for a light show like the Pussycat Brigade.

"Nothing too harsh, just a 2 klick march through Eden.  Just a walk in the park guys.  You'll have the Iron Swords west of your position and the Light Lancers East of your position.", Penny summerizes the units of the mission.

"Burner and Traxxx.  Cool beans, one big happy family.", Regina was good about large unit actions, it meant there would be more people exposed to the will of Blake, a good thing.

"Well... their units at any rate.  Burner and Traxxx are both on the injured list and taking the mission off too.  So the XO's are all being given a chance to run the missions.  Berserker... and Lucky i think?  Pussycat's Top Cat for this mission will be Rixx."

"Rixx?  The new guy?", Penny gives Reyvak a blank look, she barely knew him, and only fought with him briefly, "Hi?"

He was sorta cute... Regina had a brief flashback of Lucius screaming at her over Morgan, and she remembers she was suppose to avoid mangling the Freelancer leadership.

"Objective is to march across the city and keep casualties to a minimum.  The longer youre in the city, the longer you'll be in combat, the more likely someone will go down.  We shouldnt throw anyone under the bus on our march to the Omni Safe zone.  That said, i dont want to see you guys get run over by the bus for anyone either.  Primary objective as far as i'm concerned is to get each other all to the Omni Safe Zone.  I'll see you there."

"So we shouldnt blow stuff up?", Regina sounded a little disappointed.

"Hell no.  Blow as much stuff up as you go, just dont get bogged down, and remember the objective is to get across the zone.  Anyone too slow to keep up with the pack, by virtue of position will be volunteering to be the rearguard for the rest of the unit."

"Sorta like in that movie when they ask for volunteers and everyone but one person takes a step back to volunteer the sap."

"Exactly."

Present and may respond, if they desire:

This message was last edited by the player at 15:44, Sun 01 Feb 2015.

David Crain
 player, 580 posts
 R2 - Sergeant
 Callsign: Avenger
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 02:56
Re: Roleplaying Thread
David smiles on hearing the banter between the two.  "Regina will do just fine, no need to worry yourself.  We would hate for you to further injure yourself on the battlefield, fearless leader." His face breaks into a broad grin to let Penny know he's teasing.

He then focuses on the map while listening to the plan.  Everyone certainly had their hands full on this mission.  It was supposed to be, quite literally, a walk in the park but he knew that things rarely went so smoothly.  He studies avenues of approach as best he can and notes potential dead ends to avoid.
Teri Knight
 player, 296 posts
 Panther, P5, G5
 Callsign: Catgirl
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 03:35
Re: Roleplaying Thread
   Teri looked at the members of her lance.  She still wore her tool belt from performing some last minute maintenance on Bad Kitty.  "What?  I know my Panther is the slowest one here, but this dustup isn't just about speed.  We still have to take care of whatever the enemy throws at us.  That is something we're good at doing and we just have to keep doing it."

   Teri looked at Penny.  "Just make sure you get it all recorded.  Word had gotten back to my family of what I actually do for a living.  Noblesse oblige and stuff like that is big in my family."
Reyvak Kellosti
 player, 71 posts
 Javelin | G: 5+ | P: 5+
 Captain "Rixx"
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 04:23
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Reyvak looked at himself, "What? How did I draw the short straw? I literally just got here."
Teri Knight
 player, 297 posts
 Panther, P5, G5
 Callsign: Catgirl
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 04:36
Re: Roleplaying Thread
In reply to Reyvak Kellosti (msg # 61):

   Teri laughs, "We all took one step backward."
Penny Plenty
 player, 397 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 04:52
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Exactly, stand there while everyone takes a step back and you volunteer."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1738 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 4 Feb 2015
at 21:52
Re: Roleplaying Thread

Lucius sat with his ribs bound up, smoking a cigar with cards in one hand and a glass of Johnnie Walker in the other.  He rolled the cigar around as he narrowed his eyes at his opponent on the other side of the table...eyes flicking down to read his straight flush.

"You know you can't beat me Adam.  I'm going to raise with my ER PPC and the BAES that I've got in storage."

His voice was confidant since he knew the likelihood of him having a Royal Flush was so minuscule that it was practically impossible.

-


Adam didn't look happy.  He'd bet and bet and bet and lost all night.  He looked nervously at Lucius, "You know I already have tossed in my BAES, Ammo, Armour...I don't have anything else to match..."

Luc grinned at him and shrugged with little help.

"My Hatchetman.  I'm all in." he muttered even more nervous.

-

Lucius chewed his cigar again...What was this Solaris pilot up to? He knew his own Power Loader wasn't worth as much as the Hatchetman.  He did have something else that would let him call but even with a straight flush he was apprehensive about it.  Licking a tooth he looked at the man again for his tells, the ones he had had all night long that had let him take virtually every last thing off of him...there it was that tick.

"Alright I call...ownership of the Ironswords." he grimly responded.  Course the pilots could leave if they wanted to not work for him but it came with the impeccable quartermaster and his crew as well as 'Big Mac' the massive Tractor Trailer.  With it he could haul away some serious salvage and would be worth his Hatchetman.

-

Adam nodded wordlessly accepting the match knowing it was well worth the risk.  It had been a long time since he had played for stakes like this.  Looking back to his cards again his brow was sweating.  Looking back to Luc he slowly put down his cards on the table...

A Royal Flush.

-

The cigar that was in Lucius' mouth fell out and onto the table as he looked at the spread of cards that Adam had just shown and then back at his own.  He'd been played.  All night he'd been played for just this moment.  A rumble came from Luc that was part anger and part incredulity that he had the wool pulled over his eyes.  His eyes narrowed wondering if it was that or if he had cheated somehow, "You played me all night...didn't you?  That tick...it's fake, isn't it Carlyle?"

-

Adam shrugged his shoulders in the same way that Luc had done just a little ago that gave him his answer without even answering even though he did reply, "Let your boys know that I'm not looking to get rid of them yet.  They wanna stick around though they are going to have to show their worth."
Kitten
 GM, 5580 posts
Wed 18 Feb 2015
at 20:07
Re: Roleplaying Thread
The march from Eden's spaceport to the Omni 'safezone' went about as well as expected.  The sudden arrival of the Freelancers were a surprise to both sides, allowing them to roll through the city with only token resistance.  As the Freelancer's Mechs spearhead through the Conventional resistance offered by the Concordat their 'walking wounded' and conventional support quickly follow in behind them.  With the help of the Omni resistance at the safezone, they manage to all fall into line in good order at the Eden Sports Arena.




The place was a massive stadium, and large enough to host commercial conventions, and the occasional solaris style matches.  When not in use, the Eden Academy booked the Arena, for wargames for their cadets.  The most important feature of the arena at the moment, were the repair bays used to maintain and support mechs that were used in the arena.  They were a logistical godsend for the hard pressed Omni garrison.

While the Concordat's obviously wanted the sports arena, they were not willing to pay the steep cost it would entail to take it.  Triple the cost now that the Freelancers were in residence.

The Freelancers would not be sitting on defense for long though.  A few hours to feed and mend the fleshy needs of the body while the omni crack technicians went to work on their mechs.  Good as they were, the omni technicans were kept busy at the moment with the constant stream of damaged machines cycling in and out of the area.  The Freelancers were going to stress their ability to perform repairs, but were deemed a fair price tag to pay.  They were going to need to be in tip top condition if they were going to march out to relieve the cadets at the Eden Academy come morning.




Consider the Sports arena roughly the size and shape you might expect to find in use for your local sports team.  Large, with lots of seats, and underground bays currently in use for repairs.  In and around the sports arena are the Omni power loaders, mostly X-3s, but here and there you might find a few A-3s and even a rare X-5 Lumbering through the bay to be reloaded and repaired.

The freelancers are shown to a 'waiting room' that is currently being used as a barracks for most of the Freelancer talent.  Cots have been laid out in rows for them to use, and the locker facilities has been opened up for those that want to use them to clean up.  The concession stands are 'open' and provide a reliable source of meals, though they tend to be on the light junk food sort you might find in a sports stadium.  Things like Hot Dogs, Pretzels, and Nachos are in plentiful supply.

There is a small medical station in the Arena, that is seeing may more use than was ever intended.  The Omni Bio-Techs are the best in the periphery and under their care, the worst of the injuries are tended to.  {Unit commanders, may make an availability check (tn 7+), to pull some strings to get any pilots they deem in need of it, into the medical ward, to heal an extra lethal wound.}

If you need more information regarding the sports arena feel free to ask.

Penny Plenty
 player, 412 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Thu 19 Feb 2015
at 15:25
Re: Roleplaying Thread
The sports arena were a place that Penny felt at home in.  It had all the amenities of a Solaris sports arena.  Snacking on a pretzel smeared with mustard at the moment, she was reviewing the footage of the battle across Eden to the Omni Sports Arena.  She was pleased, the Pussycats to their credit hard rolled up the middle, and taken the most difficult path, fighting off a Victor no less with no help from the other Freelancers.

"Looks like some good footage there Lily.  Download, edit it, and ship it off to Rick when you have a chance.  Where's Alpha Squad?"


Lily gave the area a look around, "I'm not sure ... Candy, Mandy, Randy, and Sandy I think were off to congratulate Avenger on putting the Victor down."

"Well, he might have had the telling blow, but he had a lot of help taking it down, a 'Unit' Kill i think?"

"I dont think they care, he's sorta cute in a rugged sort of way?", Lily observes.

"Well yeah, i suppose there is that, but still theres work to do, dont let them fawn over him too much, it'll go to his head."

"Lollipop is in good shape, Christine's look her over now, and i was going to join her to back up the footage from the spaceport and drop and the march through Eden."

"Groovy.  I'm suppose to sit in on the mission debriefing.  Seeya later."
Lina Todd
 NPC, 502 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Iron Maiden
Thu 19 Feb 2015
at 15:43
Re: Roleplaying Thread
The Alpha units of the freelancers, were considered the 'best' that the unit had to offer.  While those units might have cycled and circulated up and down with the rest of the unit, they had to be given their measure of respect for drawing the dirty jobs and getting things done.

She was on her way to a meeting to try and convince them to do it again.  Some she knew, others were new faces.




After a fifteen minute summary on the state of Omni, it was clear to the Freelancers, that while the planet was still contested, things were not looking good.  While the garrison had the edge in equipment, and the best logistical support in the fringe, it was clear that they were just totally unprepared for the harsh realities of real combat.

With the Spaceport being contested again, the Concordat reinforcement would stall, at least briefly.  It meant that their was time to try and improve the situation else where.  Most pressing of their concern at the moment was the Eden Military Academy.  As the name suggests it was a institution of education and learning for the military branches of Omni.  What might be suggested but overlooked, was that it was also a test bed for much of the military innovations that have been produced, and storehouse for a significant percentage of the hardware on the planet.  As of yesterday communications have been cut off, which suggests the worse.

The Locale garrison was stretched thing and unable to mount an effective relief effort, so that duty was going to have to fall on the Freelancers.

They were going to have to break out of the City, march to the Academy, and relieve the cadets that were no doubt struggling to hold the Academy.  It was going to be a busy day for them, and repairs was going to be limited to what they could carry.

The news wasnt all bad though.  Omni still held a significant edge in support units, which should help to play a role in assisting the mercs.




After Mission 15, were doing a 'mini' downtime.

You've had two missions since the last downtime, so players will be allowed (2) availability rolls.

Units may make an effort to pick up Conventional Unit Fire Support with their availability rolls at this time.  Units that make the effort to roll for Fire Support and fail, will be allowed the option to pick up a {18 ton ~ Striker ~ LRM Variant}

Up to (2) Light TAGs will be made available for purchase by Units, which may sell them to members of their units to use for spotting.  Cost for each Light TAG is 20k cb each.

Light TAG {Heat 0 ~ Damage 0 ~ Range 3/6/9  ~ Weight  0.5tn ~ Critical 1}  (Considered an Energy Weapon)
Requires Technical Skill of one  (Mental One or X-Train Tech One)

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:48, Thu 19 Feb 2015.

Olaf Oleeson
 player, 236 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 04:39
Re: Roleplaying Thread
In reply to Lucius McMurphy (msg # 64):

Olaf eyed the freshly cut cigar he had just been handed with disbelief.  "A card game?!" he said finally looking up to meet Luc's eye.  Less angry than annoyed at the prospect of breaking in a new CO he fought back the urge to kick over a nearby medi-cart.  "You 'lost' us in a card game?  That sounds like back story in a bad Fed-Com sci-fi holo."

The rest of the Ironswords were still attending to refit in the warrens below the stadium that had become a makeshift staging base.  Meanwhile the XO had had to force their now former commander to report to the over-run clinic for one last check-up before he was cleared for combat.  The hot-blooded Rasalhauger was receiving the news regarding change of management about as well as anyone would have expected.

While a pretty thirty-something Omni med-tech gave Luc his final once over, Olaf continued: "He's a washed up gladiator, not a combat leader.  Besides that he can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn."  Lightening up a bit he put the cigar to his mouth and started patting down his jacket looking for a light.  Teeth clenched around the yet unlit smoke he added: "Ya know, about the only thing he's got going for him is at least he's piloting a real mech, not like that kid's toy you've been taking into combat."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1754 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 04:49
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc chewed irritatingly on his own cigar, "A straight flush Olaf.  The odds that he had a royal flush were astronomical and had I won I would have taken that Hatchetman from him."

He grumbled but added, "He's got something else going for him too..." looking back and forth to make sure only Olaf would be able to hear him, "He may be washed up but he's got silent backers funding him.  I had pull cause of working so long for these Omni girls.  Him?  He practically was able to get what I fought tooth and nail for with an off-handed comment."

He shrugged his shoulders, "Even was talking to someone in the middle of this mess about a Hunchback.  We're in the middle of a full blown assault on a planet and he's talking about popping into a mech with a gun that can shatter just about anythings armour in one shot.  Means he's got money too."
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 237 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 05:07
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Keeping the low conspiratorial tone Olaf replied, "Sounds suspicious.  Why would he be out here with the rest of us mutts if he's got that kind of backing."  Thinking on it barely a moment more he continued, "Course, we're probably all hiding something.  But I'll give it to you, Luc, that kind of scratch and those connections would make life easer if we ever got off this rock." he grudgingly agreed.  "And a Hunchback would be pretty good in a fire-fight." he trailed off as the nurse finished her examination and provided a small bottle of pain-killers and anti-inflammatory capsules.

Brushing off the withering glare the nurse gave them as he lit the cigar before walking out of the small clinic, he said: "Well, I guess it'll be hardest for you.  Your gonna have to adjust to taking orders from the guy."  Struck by a sudden thought, Olaf handed the lighter over to Luc and asked: "You are sticking around right?  With the 'swords I mean.  You're not thinking of moving to another company are ya?"
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1755 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 05:22
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"I even heard that he was able to re-negotiate the contract for the 'swords logistics.  Halved the cost of the transport costs...that alone is a gem." he shook his head.

"No I've got no interest in the Lancers.  Pax is solid but him and me don't see eye to eye.  Pussycats have plenty of the juicy fruit but too much estrogen there...but from what I hear the Omni girls want to use me too and I don't think I'd mind that..." he gave Olaf a conspiratorial laugh, "I'll be close at hand but I imagine Adam will want to put his imprint on you guys in some fashion."

He shook his head, "Plus Reggie has been harassing me about some sort of Will of Blake commentary on that book I bought.  Something about He" he put in quotations, "left it behind for the faithful to reclaim...whatever that means.  I love her like a sister but sometimes I loose her...which reminds me I've got to lay into her about what she did to yet another one of my XO's...well when I was still in charge that is"
Penny Plenty
 player, 417 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 16:34
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Penny made a face coming out of the mission debriefing.

We're all mission suppose to be life and death situation?  Drama was good for rating but bad for life expectancy.  As she enters the Main Hanger, she could see Pepper and a few of the top cats working on Lollipop.  She also notices Reyvak who she waves a greeting to.

"I heard you rounded up some talent to form up a new lance.  Next mission should be independent operations, so you'll get to break them in then.  Good luck with that, and try not to break too much stuff, were on a tight budget.", Penny grins before drifting off to see how her Raven was doing.
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 238 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 18:49
Re: Roleplaying Thread
In reply to Lucius McMurphy (msg # 71):

"Makes sense.  Got to give the new guy some breathing room." Olaf replied half-heartedly, then added with a mischievous grin remembering how Alexi was transferred to headquarters and Morgan had left the unit after their respective trysts with Reggie.  "Ya know, if you arranged for Reggie to pay Adam a nocturnal visit you'd probably find yourself back in command in no time."

As they found their way back to the team dressing room that had been pressed into service as the Ironswords office and ready room, Olaf made a point of checking on the progress of pre-mission resupply and maintenance.  Noting the change in command structure and his move from holding his own command in Longsword lance to return to being the CO's wingman in Broadsword, he noted: "Not entirely sure how to take this, though I suppose it's for the best.  Euclid is a solid choice to lead Longsword and Adam is going to need all the help he can get if things are as bad as intel seems to think they are."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1757 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 20:04
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc let out a laugh and caught the falling cigar with his hand to put it back in his mouth, "Yeah Reggie told me that she owed me but I'm not going to whore her out to regain control of the Ironswords even if it would work.  Plus man...did I just not say I love her like a sister?  What sick frakker pimps out his sister?" he added at the end with a grin.

Luc looked it over and nodded, "Looks like he wants ringers for a core and putting Akarian, Joaquin and Damien in Longsword gives him a pair of possible spotters for Damien's missiles."
Akarian Euclid
 player, 285 posts
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 20:22
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Akarian slowly sipped on an aging scotch, and simply shock his head slowly while looking over Phoenix. Jake had really done a number of her. Oh the armor was easy enough to patch back into place, but the endo internals? Well guess it was a good thing he had paid Reggie's extortion level prices for another half ton of those.

Still there was yet another shakeup of command structure going on, Adam having gained control of the Iron Swords, and further re-organization of the lancers, he liked Pax, but things were happening, and it was time to move on.

It was time to talk to Adam.

"Congratulations on winning control of the Iron Swords, the story behind that has been spreading, hell of a play, if I've ever heard of one. Have a drink with me? I've got a proposal I think you'll be interested in."
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 69 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 20:26
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Adam smiled noncommittally, "The hand could have gone either way."

He nodded his head though at the offer of a drink and a possible proposal, "I'm listening..."
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 239 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 20:39
Re: Roleplaying Thread
In reply to Lucius McMurphy (msg # 74):

Holding two hands up in front of him in mock submission and sharing in the laughter Olaf said, "Just a thought, boss.  Just a thought.  You'll do fine with her as your wingman. Wherever you end up run cool and shoot straight.  At least with Reggie you'll have a solid warrior watching your back.  I'll tough it out with the 'swords for now and see how the new boss works out."

Seeing that the work was progressing on schedule and everyone was almost ready to get back into the fight he gestured toward the stairs leading out to the playing field.  "It's been a helluva ride fighting with you Luc.  C'mon, let me buy you a drink.  Might be the last if the Bulls have anything to say about it."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1758 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 20:44
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Please.  Those Bulls have rings in the noses.  You just have to yank them and they go down crying." he grinned.

"Still by the time we're done there may not be much good liquor left in any bottles so I'll take that drink and know if you're in my zone I'm not gonna let you die out there.  It's hard to come by good drinking buddies out here."
Akarian Euclid
 player, 286 posts
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 20:56
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Akarian set down a set of tumbler glasses he had inherited along with Phoenix. They were simple but well made, with a spiral of half worn away text saying Star League, Better Days wrapping around them. He proceeded to pour scotch to the half way mark of each glass.

"You've got a good group, I was in the Swords for a while, certainly the heaviest lance we have around these parts. Problem is, its all hammer. Ask them to do recon or have to be in and out of an area, and things start going south quick."

Pausing he breathed in the aroma of the scotch and took a small sip.

"I'm offering to change that, I'd like to offer to put together a recon and special forces type lance for you. Two high speed light mechs, myself and perhaps Joaquin if I can get him on board, and a heavier unit armed up with some LRMs. Throw in some hawk eye munitions, and a tag laser or two, and we could push quick and hard into areas, scout them, and light up targets for our fire support. In and out, surgical."
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 70 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 21:32
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Adam made a hmming sound as he picked up the scotch and took a slow inhale over it, "Mongoose, Spider, Whitworth."

He thought about the possibilities, "TAG isn't too hard to come by, but on your small rides space is a precious commodity.  Still I like the thought of a faster recon element cause my ringers aren't going anywhere fast and my plans of increasing the cred of the Ironswords in a larger ride won't make me any faster or notably so at least."

Tilting his head he asked the important question, "Why the Ironswords?"
Akarian Euclid
 player, 287 posts
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 21:52
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Taking another sip of his scotch, he sat the tumbler back down.

"Space is tight indeed, but its hard to argue against the advantages of indirect fire, and the missile boat not needing to move far into the engagement. As to why the Ironswords? Theres a number of reasons, but overall I'm a practical man. I can lead a small group of mercs, but I don't have a royal heritage, nor funding to start up my own independent unit."

"The Pussy Cats, are after video and ratings, quick hit and run, surgical type missions don't bring in the viewers. The lancers seem to be changing shape once again, which seems to constantly happen, plus the recent events with Jake.. I don't see it as much of a viable option. Besides, the Ironswords actually have the ringers to come in afterwards if need be, none of the others can really say that."

Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 71 posts
 Mechwarrior
 Solid Slug
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 22:05
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"You are right about resources and the Ironswords are good for that.  Luc secured one of the best quartermasters that could be found in the periphery and some of the best transportation crews...also agree with the indirect fire but you're pushing for almost House level cooperation and that often isn't easy to come by among a bunch of mercenaries."

Adam never was one to sip on hard liquor so for the moment he still just savored the aroma, "I like you're plan though and if you can pull it off it'll be well worth the effort."

He stretched out his hand with the shot glass, "To a profitable relationshp..."
Akarian Euclid
 player, 288 posts
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 23:19
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Akarian nodded, it was true, getting that level of coordination out of a bunch of random mercenaries would be difficult, but he could hope. "I agree, the cooperation may not be there, but I'm hoping it is. After all, the more successful missions are, and the less amount of repairs needed, means more profits for everyone. I'd like to believe they'll see the benefit and profit in that proposition."

Reaching out he met the gesture, "Aye to a most profitable and long lasting one" and proceeded to finish the drink.
Adam Carlyle
 Alt, 72 posts
 Captain
 Solid Slug
Mon 23 Feb 2015
at 01:28
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"If you do get Damien see if he is willing to hunt up some hand actuators for the Whitworth if he hasn't done so much modifications that it can't handle it.  When I took over we kept Big Mac, the massive tractor trailer, but I want to supplement that with something quicker...couple of Karnov's or something akin to that if we've get a rapid response like you.  The more hands the better for salvage..."

He brought the shot glass back and downed the entire thing in one before flipping it over and popping it back on the table.

"I'm going to ask Olaf to do the same but he's got so much extra tech loaded on I don't think he can."
Akarian Euclid
 player, 295 posts
Wed 25 Feb 2015
at 02:51
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Good call, we'll certainly want all the salvage that we can pull from the field. Some Karnov's would be a treat, I might contract a Ferret or AMC for some additional fire support depending.

You don't have any leads on Hawkeyes do you? Those seem like they'll be our major supply issue."


Akarian had a few leads of his own he could follow up of course, but the Iron Swords meant resources, and the rumor was Adam had more than one string he could pull so why not put that rumor to the test.

Reaching out he collected the glasses, and started to wipe them out casually, waiting to see what Adam would say.
Adam Carlyle
 Player, 73 posts
 Captain
 Solid Slug
Wed 25 Feb 2015
at 04:55
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"I was actually looking at Ferret's not for additional combat support...my ride does that well enough...but for boots on ground to help salvaging after the fact.  If I can get some experienced techs in those squads they could peel off some good salvage for me while I'm manhandling larger stuff with the Hatchetman's hands." he murmured as he asked the question about Hawkeyes.

"Quartermaster Ryann's got some good connections from working with his former unit.  I can certainly have him look but it'll depend on what we've got in the bank.  Luc used most of the unit funds to get Big Mac and that crack team."
Adam Carlyle
 Player, 76 posts
 Captain
 Solid Slug
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 14:46
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Adam had to hand it to Ryann and his contacts...they were good.  Not only had he secured a line on a Karnov UR with some salvage crews but also had found a Heavy Ferret with a salvage crew as well.  With those two units in addition to the Tractor-trailer that had some of the best scavenging teams around the Ironswords would be able to haul away both large and small finds and cover both hot drop raids with the two VTOL's and longer ops with the slower truck.  It really was hard to beat those combinations.

He tapped up a message to send to Piotr and Olaf so they knew about the additional resources...and the amusing fact that if Piotr didn't want to walk himself he could lay down on the trailer and they could drive him around.  Adam also made sure to send a message to Akarian and let him know that the rapid transports had been acquired for the unit.
Lucius McMurphy
 Alt, 1801 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 15:13
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc couldn't believe that they had actually found the one bodyglove that he had worn ages ago for the paintball game between him and that cutie Echo that he hadn't dealt with directly in ages.  It wasn't supposed to be an actual plugsuit but one of the Eden girls had gotten it in her mind that it might be useful to have their leashed Mercs have some of the same tools to defend their home.

Adam had gotten wind of it and pulled a few strings to get them to finish pull it in as a consolation for loosing the Ironswords and had his tech, Brigid hand it over to him.  So there he was, clad in a body hugging glove that was still originally designed for one of their amazonian women...

...it clung in some seriously wrong areas and if he wasn't so confidant and secure in his own manhood being all out for anyone to practically see he would cover up.  Luc though had a cigar in mouth and an occasional grimace as it tugged a little too much for his liking.  Course the most amusing thing was his recent orders.  He was to report to Pax to aid him in drawing the Taurian attention in the city.  Finding the Light Lancers muster point he walked up to Pax and chewed the end of his cigar, "Reporting to duty Grand Moff."
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 635 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 15:29
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Regina notices Lucius walking around in his new plugsuit.  She was slumming it at the moment, and dressed down.

She had decided to not use her plugsuit for the moment, and there was no practical reason to wear it aside from fashion.  Which seemed passe, since every wet behind the ear cadet on Omni seemed to be wearing some version of the body conforming uniform.

"You're going to hurt yourself in that thing Burner.

 That's got be at least as hard on the boy parts as I am.  If you end up laid out in a hospital for a few months I am totally not at fault.
"

Regina was dressed in a dingy shapeless jumpsuit that had smears of grease and lubricants from working on her Valkyrie.  There were black smudges on her cheek, that might have look like camo paint, if not for her clothing. Dressed even so, she still seemed to cut a fetching air about her.  That she seemed totally clueless about it only enhanced the aura.

Pausing to stand beside him, she looks about at the busy repair bay.  It was small but well equipped and current in perpetual busy mode.

She looks about leans closer to whisper to Lucius in a conspiratorial tone.

"Doesn't any of this bother you?", there was a slight narrowing of the eyes, and a serious edge to her voice that Lucius had never heard before.
Lucius McMurphy
 Alt, 1802 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 15:55
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc grimaced as it tugged again and shook his head, "Not nearly as hard as you were on Morgan.  You laid that boy out right after I asked you not to Regina."

He tilted his head to respond in kind knowing any other way with her would be useless, "Bother me that I'm seeing so much tech here that I could swear it was the Star League in a tiny microcosm?  Or that I cut such a fine figure when I'm not reeling in pain from my 'man parts' in this thing...gods I hope it helps as much as I've been led to believe."
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 636 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 16:09
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Morgan wasn't my fault.  He... was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.", Regina comments in a normal tone, nonchalant.

"Exactly!", she hisses at him loud enough that it barely counts as a whisper.  The noise in the repair bay easily keeps her from being overheard.

"We're in the periphery.  The land of left over make do tech.

 This this stuff is all vintage Blake Era... maybe beyond.

 We're in the boonies... This isnt the NAIS academy.  This doesnt bother you?
"

Regina's looks around with narrow eyes, clearly disturbed.

"Then look at them.

 I feel old and over the hill standing next to them.

 You havent noticed that the population's mean age is really really young.  Around here I probably rate close to retirement age.  Where are all the... old folks... and where are all the guys?

 Blake's light, the reason i'm always feeling so Randy is cause theres no one around to roll in the hay with now and then.  All that energy and stress builds up you know?
", a small furrow appears between her eyes as she scowls.

It's hard to tell how much of this is serious, and how much of it is Regina being Regina.
Lucius McMurphy
 Alt, 1803 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 16:36
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Don't forget the Niops Association.  They are out in the periphery too but they had vintage Blake era aerofighters and mechs." mused Luc.

"It's not hard to hide a single planet in the periphery and if they are mostly self sufficient and scientists like most of these girls are I can understand how they pulled it off...but it's been niggling the back of my neck since we first ran across them that they are actually backed by something bigger like the FedSuns and it's a quiet experiment gone wrong now that the Bulls are coming down."

He chewed on his cigar a moment, "Brigid is a sweet young thing but you are right, finding proper release from that stress isn't easy for you, but the word is called restraint...not that I need you to have that anymore since I'm back to simply worrying about myself..."
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 637 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 16:41
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"See... that's another thing.

 Aren't they all a little young to be scientist and techs?

 I mean, all the ones i've met and trained under are ancient relics... not...
"

Regina waves dismissively around the bay, "... candidates for a Cadets gone wild porn holovid."

Regina makes an aggitated gesture, "See... if they were bubble heads who didnt know anything that would be one thing, but they actually seem to know their stuff.  The cutting edge stuff coming out of NAIS and the memory core doesnt seem to phase them.  They're absorbing it all in and building on it quick, as if they already knew it was there and just waiting to use."

Regina purses her lips and looks displeased, "It goes against the natural order."
Lucius McMurphy
 Alt, 1804 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 16:56
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Maybe they are some lost group from Blakes time...a strange disease rendering them virtually unable to have male children and only through preserving medical technology from Blakes time are they able to function and continue on.  More than enough reason to hide from the rest of the Sphere.  Everyone and their 6th cousins would want to assault the place." shrugged Luc.

He let out a good chuckle, "I know...they could make a killing on making porno holovids here."

He sighed and looked around, "Still their house of cards if falling down around them and I'd guess that for as much as they had worked to keep others from knowing about their planet and their technology they probably have an apocalypse  policy to make sure the Taurian's don't take their planet in one piece."
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 638 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 17:03
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Regina's face darkens slightly, "Habitable planets... really nice ones like Omni... are hard to come by.  If they have a scorched earth contingency plan... it'd be something to worry about... dont you think?  "
Piotr Kaminski
 player, 248 posts
 R2 (2nd Lieutenant)
 Callsign: Sabre
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 17:03
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Mateusz, Axel, on me." Piotr said into comms.  When the JWK and Zamiatacz squad leaders showed up, Kaminiski had one simple order.

"24 hour pass for all troops.  Tell the boys that all the local women are fair game for fraternization.  It’s open season to bag as many as they can in 24 hours, but make sure they leave ‘em happy,” Kaminski said with a grin.  ”Fighting is clearly not the only way we can be of use here.  I want House Kaminski to be remembered for our fine service to Omni.”

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 17:04, Wed 01 Apr 2015.

Lucius McMurphy
 Alt, 1805 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 17:27
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Of course it's something to worry about, but these girls are methodical like you said and even now they don't sound fazed while it's obvious this is a loosing battle.  Each area is cordoned off from the rest of the wild.  They could scorch the cities and research buildings and factories and the majority of the planet would still be viable." he murmured quietly.

"Either they have alternative sites and this place is just for show or something else is up their sleeve."
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 639 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 17:29
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"I dont think theyre as sweet and nice as they'd have you think.

 What if the Concordat are the good guys?
"
Lucius McMurphy
 Alt, 1806 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 17:50
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Never said they were the nice ones, just that they pay well and out here in the Periphery that is a rarity meaning when you get it you have to expect some serious trouble."

He shook his head, "No they aren't the good guys.  They've already done some seriously wrong stuff since we started working out here.  You don't slaughter innocent civilians...on purpose.  Either these girls are good girls or everyone is bad."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:54, Wed 01 Apr 2015.

Regina Arlington
 Alt, 640 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 17:54
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Regina seems to think about that for a moment and then gives Lucius a serious look.

"Then... what if were the only good guys?"

With that she starts to walk away.  She slides your limited edition word of blake book out of one of the cargo pant pocket along her right thigh and seems to almost immediately lose interest in everything but the book.
Piotr Kaminski
 player, 252 posts
 R2 (2nd Lieutenant)
 Callsign: Sabre
Wed 22 Apr 2015
at 15:59
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Lieutenant Arnadottir, I was extremely pleased to hear that we would be working very closely together for the next mission,” Piotr said to the recently assigned freelancer after seeing the most recent OPORDER.  ”If there’s anything I can do for you,” or perhaps, to you, Piotr thought, ”please don’t hesitate to let me know.”

This message was last edited by the player at 16:50, Wed 22 Apr 2015.

Svetlana Arnadottir
 Alt, 2 posts
 R2 - 2nd Lt.
 Snow Witch
Wed 22 Apr 2015
at 16:27
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Svetlana nods with a wicked smile, the Mechwarrior had a rugged look to him.  Some days she liked rugged.  Head on the mission though.

"Yes... It would seem that the unexpected fortunes of battle have Captain Carlyle and Olaf being deployed elsewhere.  Let's do our best to both come out of this intact, and perhaps we'll have a celebratory get together later.  Já?"
Piotr Kaminski
 player, 253 posts
 R2 (2nd Lieutenant)
 Callsign: Sabre
Wed 22 Apr 2015
at 16:48
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"Absolutely.  I'll keep the Champagne on ice,” Piotr said with a confident nod.  He made a mental note to make a reservation for a cozy suite at a luxury hotel… once they kicked the Taurian out of course.
Piotr Kaminski
 player, 254 posts
 R2 (2nd Lieutenant)
 Callsign: Sabre
Wed 22 Apr 2015
at 21:15
Re: Roleplaying Thread


”Mission accomplished Sir.  We took out the women’s dorm of the local university,” JWK Team Leader Axel Wojciechowski said in crisp, clear, English.

”What do you mean you took out the dorm?  You killed them?” Piotr asked, worry and panic evident on his face.

”No Sir, we took out all the women.  Uh.. romantically speaking,” the team leader added sheepishly.

”All of them?” Piotr asked in amazement.

”Yes Sir.  We used para-wing gliders to gain access to the roof.  Uniform for this operation was tailored suits and Oxford shoes.  We silently breached the structure and proceeded floor-by-floor, room-by-room.  Dąbrowski had created files on the entire group, which we reviewed prior to the incursion.  We knew all their hobbies and interest.  Using that intel, we rehearsed making interesting, witty, and suggestive conversion prior to the start of the operation.  When any of us hit heavy resistance, Kozłowski deployed wine or mixed-drinks, mostly Cosmos, but a few Sex on the Beach and Appletinis as well,” Axel said, discussing the operation as clinically as any other military operation he had been on.

The Master Sergeant continued.  ”Krawczyk was quick on the smooth jazz and Sinatra Sir.  I’d like to recommend him for a commendation.  We certainly couldn't have done it without the mood music.  Jankowski deserves a lot of credit as well.  He humped in a twelve pack of fuzzy navel jello shots that saved our bacon on the second floor.  Without those, I'm not sure how we would have handled the Melissa Etheridge groupies in room 202," Wojciechowski said with a curt nod.

"Now if you will excuse me Sir, I need to check on Mazur’s injury.  When he entered the first floor lounge, several of the Tangos appeared to be engaged in a twerking contest.  We weren't able to extract him until after he’d slipped a disc.”  The JWK Commando paused, then added with grave seriousness.  ”The doctors say he may have that smile on his face for the rest of his life,” Axel said, shaking his head.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:53, Thu 23 Apr 2015.

Adam Carlyle
 Player, 99 posts
 O4 - Captain
 Solid Slug
Thu 14 May 2015
at 20:17
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Adam slapped the side of the battle computer in his Hatchetman's cockpit, "Come on you rusty bucket of bolts!" as he hit it again and swore.

He sent a quick communique to Omni Command that both his and Olaf's mechs seemed to have some sort of computer malfunction that was keeping them from advancing towards the Academy and they re-deployed Piotr and Svetlana to back up Akarian's advance out.  He shook his head at the luck...salvage would have been good and instead he was stuck minding the house and making sure the Bulls out there thought there was a 45-ton monstrosity of autocannon death protecting the Arena when in truth all it could do was stomp around a look like it was big and bad.

Moving the Hatchetman around he sent a comm to Olaf, "Take up a defensive pose...Bulls don't know your launchers can't fire for some reason."
Penny Plenty
 player, 709 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Gumdrop
Thu 2 Jul 2015
at 15:14
Re: Roleplaying Thread


"Hello Solaris, Reporting the freshest breaking new to you from around the Periphery.  Taurian Concordat.  Are they the self proclaimed savior and unifying force of the Periphery or are they just another bully with delusions of grandior?  My name is Suzy Cute Chick and like you, I wanna know.  To help answer these questions, I'm switching over to someone that needs no introduction, you know her as Penny Plenty, but today she our war correspondent.  Penny?"



"Thank you Suzy.  Yeah, i gotta tell you, these Taurens are named accurately.  They're like, totally Bull.  I'm reporting to you from Omni, who is currently under attack by the Tauren's in an attempt to instigate literally, a hostile takeover.  Known around the periphery for their cutting tech, and fat back comstar accounts, and utopian like planet, it's easy to see what's motivating them.

I'm reporting to you currently from Omni's Eden Academy, where they school their local militia.  We're just beating them back now.  GO FREELANCERS!
"

"That's good to hear Penny... Who exactly are the Freelancers?"

"Some Merc unit i fell in line with.  A bunch of smaller talents, that sign on to get bigger contracts under the larger organized name of the Freelancers.  An interesting notion.  Got a bunch of wartime footage that we'll be editing for a documentary in the near future."

"That sounds like dangerous work Penny.  How are you handling it?"

"I'm doing okay... but those Taurens can be a bunch of pussies... uhm... uh... I meant Pussycats...  Everyone seems to want a peice of Penny.  You know how fame can be, spot a holovid star... shoot at her, get an exclusive few seconds of fame.  Chance to hit the jackpot... if they kill me I'm sure they'll dedicate an episode to it."

"Doesn't sound like much fun."

"It's a blast, but Rick... wants to recall us.  Wants to get his hands on the footage we've shot to start editing.... I think he's just being soft and doesnt want to see anyone hurt."

"So, it sounds like, you'll be recalled soon?  What's the situation on Omni Penny?"

"Messy Suzy... Space port and Eden City were contested between the local militia and the Taurens... right now i'm at..."

* (bzzzztttt...) *

"Penny are you there?"

"Yeah yeah... I'm here some pric... uhm... i mean pegasus out there is messing with my video transmission, i'm going to have to be brief.  The Taurens got no business being here.  They're just a bunch of greedy bastards who got the grabbies.  They give the Periphery a bad name, and that's that."

"Thank you Penny, sounds like you have your hands full.  Come home safe."

"From your lips to God's ears.  Tata for now."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:14, Thu 02 July 2015.

Adam Carlyle
 Player, 382 posts
 O4 - Captain
 Solid Slug
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 03:52
Re: Roleplaying Thread
He didn't like retreating from the city but they held them off for as long as they could and inflicted some serious damage incapacitating vehicles to slow assaults and forcing mech assets to come up.  That allowed the Omni units to flee with more of their gear and save more people so it was alright by him.  He had found himself a quiet place to wait till directions came from either the Freelancers or their Omni patrons.  The real surprise came when a man he knew from a place and time far from the present walked up to him.


"Carlyle-San you did not believe that you could avoid your duties by coming out to the far reaches of the Periphery did you?  Your particular talents are in great demand and you still have not finished your...penance." As he arched his eyebrow Adam noticed that he was not alone and six others were leaning against an old Kurita model urban pacification truck.  How they had arrived without him noticing or hearing them was disturbing.  Either they were really good or he was far too distracted.



Adam bowed his head for a moment before shaking it his brow scrunched slightly, "No Maruyama-San I am not avoiding my...penance.  I was permitted to return here which makes me wonder exactly why you are here?  You're a long, long way from home and so is that absolutely ancient looking UPT"  His eyes narrowing as he could pick out that the other men were clearly well trained and likely by Maruyama.  That would mean that the beat up APC was likely top of the line inside and it also likely hid the nature of their gear.





With a casual glance back at the men he made a small smile knowing that Adam had understood at least a little, "We are here to observe and aid you so that when your permission is ended you will be sure to return home and continue your beneficial works.  My fellow brothers are skilled in the ways that you are familiar with and will work along side your...excursion here on Eden."

Adam closed his eyes for a moment knowing that he wouldn't be able to refuse the offer and honestly at this point in time he could use all the help that he could get.  He knew the Maruyama was former Special Forces, maybe even DEST, he never had talked about his past but then again many in his position never did.  They could be quite a boon in the engagements against the Taurian's forces...especially if he wasn't alone on planet.

"Then I clearly am honored to have you fight alongside the meager unit that I've been entrusted with." he finally responded to the quiet ultimatum that he had been given.

Maruyama bowed his head before adding, "You will also turn over your Hatchetman to Sakurai-San who accompanied us here to 'join' the Freelancers."  He held up a hand to forestall any complaint from Adam that he knew would be coming, "The Oyakata deemed that to survive this...endeavour...you would need one of Komiyaba's original designs.  Sakurai-San piloted the venerable machine here and you will take control of what he has brought.  Accept your place in things just as I have in being sent here."

Adam cursed silently in his head the day that he had let that ferret get into a position that found the manufacturing crack that caused his ammo to go in the Urbanmech.  With pursed lips he replied, "And where do I find Sakurai-San to get this over with..."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:05, Tue 07 July 2015.

Akarian Euclid
 player, 879 posts
 O3 - 1st Lt
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 16:27
Re: Roleplaying Thread
As the remaining freelancers gathered inside what remained one of the few safe places on Eden for the moment, Akarian looked over the damage to Phoenix frowning. The aging mongoose had been in his family’s unit for nearly three centuries. The advanced equipment, armor and internals being ravaged by war and time, replacements gone with the departing of the star league and the chaos that followed. Most would have thought it to be one of the more modern variants, but in truth it had simply survived with careful care and had passed down the family line.

It had been an honor to be able to restore endo internals once more to the ancient heirloom, but now the entire arm had been destroyed.  The omni technicians were of course more than capable of rebuilding the arm, but to do so, would mean using custom parts and Phoenix would once again drift further from being itself.

Lost in the thoughts above, they slammed to an abrupt stop, as a cute cadet appeared and addressed him. “Commander Akarian? We’ve received a letter, and a delivery for you thats been moved into section-d.” Akarian looked at the cadet, smiled and took the letter which was still wax sealed. “Thank you for letting me know, sorry for the troubles, I’ll make sure to take care of whatever it is, right away.” Seemingly satisfied at that, the cadet rushed away, no doubt busy with other preparations.

Looking over the letter, he of course recognized the wax seal of a mongoose and a cobra wrapped around each other, both ready to strike. It had been his families seal forever, and instantly meant it was from the one person still left alive in his old life before joining the freelancers. Sebastian Black. Breaking the wax seal and letting the letter unfold, Akarian read over it.

Sir Euclid, it is with pleasure I write to inform you that at long last, the matter of your father’s titles and estate has been settled. As such your royal heritage has officially been recognized by right of birth and blood, your father’s title and remaining estate has passed on to you. In anticipation of your need for it, given the reports being broadcast about your current planetary situation I’ve had Zeus dispatched to you for use. You’re faithful servant and friend Sebastian Black.

Zeus, how long had it been? Growing up, he had spent years in both Zeus and Phoenix, though with the death of his father, and the succession of estate in dispute, he had barely been able to leave with Phoenix. Only that had been permitted, as it hadn’t seen actual field service in decades, and there was no denying its ownership, given the history of the mech. Still this was fantastic news, and also solved his problem of what to do about Phoenix. He would pilot Zeus, and send Phoenix back to his home, where it could be restored with care and what original spare parts still remained in the facility there.
Regina Arlington
 Player, 737 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 02:53
Re: Roleplaying Thread
The fighting was over, and the Raiders had for the most part been handed their collective arse.

It was fortunate for them, that it wasnt a real raid, or they would have been grounded into the dust by Regina and her thrown together survivors from the Freelancers.

"That went rather well!", she comments energetically.

"Siren to Freelancers.  Get your rides home for repairs and check in.

 No rest for the wary.  Debriefing in Hanger Three.
", Regina gave a way to the Warrior crew who had helped put down the raiders they were fighting.  They were useful, she was going to have to see about getting them to come along.

It was a quick jog from Hanger two, where the mechs were parked for repairs to Hanger Three.  She was the first one to the loading bay, which doubled for a briefing room.

"Oh am i first?", she hated when that happened.
Jarold Harven
 player, 190 posts
 Callsign: "Bedlam"
 Wasp WSP-1W
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 03:18
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Jarold was still pumped from the fight, and replaying some of the better moments in his head. He jogged into the hangar on Regina's heels. "Looks like," he said cheerily, "unless you want to step back out into the hall. Then I can get here first for you."
Mikael Blomquist
 player, 509 posts
 Call sign: Viking
 Srms
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 03:35
Re: Roleplaying Thread
 He was a bit ashamed of somehow nearly always being in the far side of the battle and arriving a touch to late to really mix it up, still his ride was undamaged so he did not have to pay to repair the mech.

 He touched his com-link, "Roger that, heading for the hanger."

 Touching the throttle he moved alongside his wingman and the set the homing tag and accelerated towards their ride home.
Mortimer Grissom
 player, 189 posts
 "Brick"
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 04:27
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Mortimer glanced at his tablet as he surveyed the damage to his mighty Enforcer. The Irin Curtain had held. The armor would be easy enough to replace. He was happy that he had punished the heavier mechs in the engagement and taken a beating in return. Mort nodded in satisfied silence before moving towards the briefing room that had been indicated. As he approached, he saw he was not the first. He greeted the others so far present and spoke, his thick Slavic accent forcing him to go slowly. "I do not think ve vill have too much time in this outfit. It seem our services are in great demand, does it not?"
Sean Reynolds
 player, 829 posts
 R2 - Sergeant
 Callsign: Firefly
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 04:45
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Sean cursed at the loss of his arm but continued fighting to the bitter end.  After the pirates are destroyed he heads back to base with the rest for repairs and debriefing.  Leaving his smoking mech in the bay he heads to the conference room to find that he is one of the last ones there, as he expected with the slower mech.
Lucius McMurphy
 Player, 1904 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 16:28
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc walked his new ride back to the hangar with a bit of befuddlement in his mind.  She was a sweet ride...smooth, easy to control and the perks in the cockpit were to die for.  But damn if he didn't miss even the tiny ass Wasp that he piloted for a short time for the Eden girls.  It had a better damage output than this thing despite this one having far greater range and an equal maneuverability.  What it really had though was a shell of armour so thick that he came back without anything internal damaged after taking the firepower of a Warhammer at close range...that alone spoke volumes.  Climbing down from the Hawk was different too as she was far larger a mech than he had driven in a long, long time.

He walked over to where Regina was and gave her one of his lopsided grins before prepping a cigar and popping it into his mouth.  Flicking open the lighter he lit it up and commented, "So how did the other guys do?"
Teri Knight
 player, 478 posts
 Jenner, P5, G4
 Callsign: Kate
Tue 12 Jan 2016
at 00:49
Re: Roleplaying Thread
   Teri slowly walked her Jenner to the designated location, following her team mates.  It was a difficult battle for both her machine and her body.  She powered down her ride carefully, dealing with the dual problems of being unfamiliar with the Jenner's controls and her own injuries.

   Knight exited her mech.  The adrenaline rush which had been keeping her functional drained away in the safety of the repair bay.  She leaned heavily against her Jenner as she called out to a passing tech, "Could you send a medic over?  It's been a long day..."
Regina Arlington
 Player, 738 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Tue 12 Jan 2016
at 01:45
Re: Roleplaying Thread
"We got them pirates pretty good.

 The good news is that it was mostly a test, to see how you would have performed under combat conditions.  The better news is that it looked like we did pretty good on both operations.
"

Regina brightens and becomes more animated as more Freelancers file in.  Around now a Comstar acolyte arrives to have a few words with Regina, her lips purse and her brows knit slightly.

"Well... that's no good."

As the Acolyte moves on Regina addresses you again, "I just got bad news and worst news.  The bad news is that while we were on exercise with the Raiders, it must have been leaked to the local crime syndicate.  While we were all busy they snuck in and raided the warehouse.  They made off with some 'stuff' before security chased them off.  The worse news is that Akarian seems to have caught some shrapnel.  A fluke, but it cut him just wrong, as he was leaving his mech a dud round exploded near him.  They're not sure how long he's going to be out."

Regina was pretty upset.  When it was a tough fight, and your time was up, you expected it.  This was a mock up test, and they had passed it soundly, where was the sense in this?

"I think that's going to be it for tonight guys.  I'm going to go check in to see how Akarian is doing.  Dismissed, go do what you need to do, i know it's a crap way to end a good mission but tomorrow will be a new day.", Regina puts up a brave smile, but really guile and deceit were never her strong suit, and you can tell she's not happy at all.
Regina Arlington
 Player, 739 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Fri 15 Jan 2016
at 01:57
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Casualty reports came in and were higher than anticipated.  Damien and Joaquin had come across those raiders that had been hitting the warehouse and gotten themselves shot.  It was a stupid way to go, surviving a skirmish with multi tonned machines of death and getting shot with a primitive slugthrower.

There were also the not so small complication of stolen materials to deal with.

None of it could be helped.

The Freelancers would have no time to lick their wounds, they were shipping off and headed rim ward to follow Kerensky's Pathfinders.
Regina Arlington
 Player, 740 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Thu 4 Feb 2016
at 19:46
Re: Roleplaying Thread
It took a few more days for the Freelancers to lick their wounds.

Casualties were an unfortunate event and the theft of parts she had worked hard to track down was an irritation to Regina, still, nothing happened without a reason, and in Blake we trust was a mantra that had gotten Regina through more than one trying period in her life.


It was a few days later when the Comstar Exploration Corps, along with the mercenary Freelancers boosted off to meet the Jumpship, Guiding Light.  Initial excitement quickly evaporated, as they settle into the routine of long term space travel.  Several Jumps were made, each one take the Guiding Light further and further away.  First through the outer rim of the Inner Sphere, then through the Periphery, and finally into deep space.

Every nook and cranny of the Jumpship and Dropship was known to everyone.  Space was cramp, and everyone was practically living on top of each other.

A spheroid Danais class dropship carried the bulk of the cargo, and supplies for the expedition, not the least of which was the Battlemechs that the Freelancers used.

A Vulture class dropship carried much of the personnel and conventional support for the expedition.

It was weeks later, before anything of note happened.  The Guiding Light had just finished another one of those gut wrenching jumps taking them into a new Binary star system.  It was here that the expedition became active and activity began.  It was the location of the first entry from the Pathfinders that hinted at the possibility of a habitable planet.

As soon as the jump was completed the guiding light had begun the task of deploying the solar sails to recharge the jump engines.

The Vulture Class Jumpship, Blake's Wisdom, was an ancient Dropship no longer in popular use, replaced by the Fury and Seeker dropships.  It's most notable saving grace, was that it was a spheroid, and as such needed no long landing strip to deploy.  Most of the Comstar Exploration Corp was located on this ship, along with a dozen assorted light conventional units, and supplies for the expeditions use..

The Danais dropship, Blake's Light, was a common civilian Cargo Dropship, unarmed and considered harmless, it was a design that that was allowed production in the Periphery by the powers of Inner Sphere, making it a very common design.  It also was a Spheroid allowing it a minimal of fuss to deploy.  The drop ship's cargo was the Freelancer's mechs, the dropship also allowed for ten 'passengers' which filled out the Freelancer's needs nicely.

Within a hour of the Jumpship deploying sails, Blake's Light and Wisdom were released and burning to make planetfall with the fourth planet in the system, which according to the Pathfinder's records were capable of sustaining human life.




(More to come, feel free to comment regarding your characters activity during this time period so that i know to actually include you in follow up post)
Lucius McMurphy
 Player, 1906 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 5 Feb 2016
at 02:54
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc knew that injury and death were part of being a mech jock since he first got into his old family Fire Javelin all those years ago but the loss of people he'd fought beside for so long was still a bearer of morose times.  Akarian was a good commander and both Damien and Joaquin had been good soldiers.  Even worse was the time on board the dropship and jumpship...

He couldn't smoke to relax because the air scrubbers needed every iota of their power to make sure they could actually breathe proper air rather than get caught in a slow downward spiral of hypoxia.  That left Luc a bit grumpy and on edge from a number of minor things that really couldn't be helped.  Rather than being cooped up in his berth and slowly going mad he tried to exercise his Zero-G skills as much as possible in the off case that they were caught with their pants down and they had to do any combat in space...as impossible seeming as it might be.
Teri Knight
 player, 481 posts
 Jenner, P5, G4
 Callsign: Kate
Fri 5 Feb 2016
at 14:29
Re: Roleplaying Thread
   Knight had spent time on crowded ships before, but she couldn't recall a trip as jumbled this trip was turning out to be.  She spent as much time as she could working on her mech.  It was that or just stare at all of the other people just staring the walls.
Mikael Blomquist
 player, 512 posts
 Call sign: Viking
 Srms
Fri 5 Feb 2016
at 15:33
Re: Roleplaying Thread
 The swift rush to push off the planet reminded him of the age old axiomatic saying in the military of hurry up and wait , so now that the pressure was off of staying alive and keeping his mates alive, he began to put all the efforts and combats to his computer, writing of the units encounter with the old and big grasshopper mech and his surprise to see such a machine still running.

 Aboard the drop ship he at first got caught up on his sleep and getting  Squared Away once again and looking like a military jock once more. Other then that he caught up on the latest trids and cleaned up his mech and vowed to replace his old cooling vest at the first opportunity they had.

 It was nice to tour the big ass drop ship, at least as far as he could be allowed to see and wondered what the inside of the Jump ship looked like.

 Still he was out of books and sending messages to those he knew back at the core worlds and was bored, so that even landing on a distant world was looking good to break the boredom.
Kitten
 GM, 7130 posts
Fri 5 Feb 2016
at 19:51
Re: Roleplaying Thread
The Expedition's Dropships found the fourth planet in question and took the time to settle into orbit around the planet.  Fuel was definitely going to be an issue, the number of times they would be able to make planet fall and still have fuel to boost off was going to be a problem if they weren't careful.

As luck would have it, using the reference directions left behind by the Pathfinders, the Expedition is able to local the location where they made planet fall. A homing beacon and the remains of artificial structures are detected from space and with the clock ticking on consumption of consumables like food... water... air... and fuel, the call is made to zone in on the beacon for planet fall.

There is only one landing pad, which is used by the heavier Vulture dropship makes use of.  The Lighter of the two dropships, grounds on the other side of the compound in easy view of each other.  While not a landing pad, the flat paved surface was better than the dirt surface and much better than trying to land in the wooded area around the compound.

In the hours that follow, the expedition starts to roll out the equipment from the dropship and scout out the Pathfinder's compound.  The Star league's engineering corps did good work.  That so much of it survived the centuries of time is a testament to the good work they did.  The landing pad was reinforced and made to handle a dropship many times the size of the Vulture currently parked on it.  The compound was paved with cleared and paved with a hardened material that might have supported a mech, but not a dropship.  Where Blake's Light had landed, the landing gear had cracked and sunken through the light material mooring the dropship down on the surface.  Some work would have to be done to clear the material away from the landing gear to ensure a safe and smoothe take off.

In the hours that follow, the comstar expedition teams quickly survey the compound and declare it fit for use.  Conventional units are rolled out and soon prepared to be used for operations.  Battlemechs are carefully worked out of their cargo cradles and prepared for use.  Those with hand actuators are given a priority since, they have practical uses for assisting with setting up the expedition.

it quickly becomes apparent that they planet has a moderate climate and plenty of fresh air.  The binary suns provide plenty of light for the local vegetation to grow to gigantic proportions.  The trees around the compound dwarf even the mass of the dropships you burned in on.  (think yellowstone giant tree size or larger)

This was good news since it hinted at great stores of water, which would provide the ground work for easy terra forming.  It's noted in the Pathfinder logs that it wasnt always this friendly, but the seed of terra forming were started long ago, and over the centuries have obviously worked out well.

After checking out their mech, the freelancers are pressed into service to help unload equipment off Blake's Wisdom.  Those without hand actuators are put on patrol to keep watch on the perimeter of the Pathfinder's base camp.  After so many years of quiet, it was unlikely to be disturbed.  The only signs of recent activity was the local vegetation taking root here and there in the cracks of the paved surface or around the compound where dirt still lingered.  In these areas, the 'grass' grew high enough to provide cover for a standing trooper.

{more to come, please continue to describe activity, in particular your mechwarrior, and their mech to remind me what mechs you piloted.  Please be aware, they are no longer 'stock' but they arent what you designed out either, they're likely somewhere in between}
Lucius McMurphy
 Player, 1907 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 5 Feb 2016
at 20:28
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Luc relished the moment that he made it out into the 'fresh' air...along with the moment he was able to 'pollute' it with his cigar of choice.  He watched carefully as the techs moved his machine out of the dropship and commented, "Hey watch where you are driving that thing.  My Shadow Hawk is the biggest thing around that still works with hands to move this crap.  That salvaged Grasshopper might be able to pick up more but ever since Jarold cut through the rear of the thing it's like he severed a spine and it's been all quirky since and we may never get the repair parts to make it work again!"

He looked over to Mikael and Teri, "How did your rides fare?  I'm guessing they are going to put you on hauling duty like me Mikael and you'll go out on recon Teri since your bug has no arms to speak of."  He chuckled a bit, "Feels weird not being in total command of the Ironswords anymore even if most of my life I never was.  These last contracts have been a doozy..."
Regina Arlington
 Player, 741 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Sat 6 Feb 2016
at 12:55
Re: Roleplaying Thread
The Comstar expedition force, quickly finds to their surprise that while much equipment was missing a few solar chargers were still present, explaining the continued activity of the homing beacon.  Activity quickly settles down to a routine as the expedition falls into a routine.

The conventional units pulled for service.  The small ultra light construction utility mechs were put to service quickly to support the freelancers activity, the VTOLs were unloaded and soon flying forays into the giant wooded area around the base, the tracked ground units rolled out to patrol deeper into the woods and conduct experiments for the scientist in the expedition, the wheeled units were unloaded but served mostly for transportation for the lazy around the base, with the thick terrain about, the hovers are never unloaded.

Freelancers help to walk patrol on the base, but serve mostly to monitor the coming and goings of the conventional units leaving for exploration of the base.  The most exciting it gets for them, is when they accompany the small tracked units into the woods to provide security as they gather soil and vegetation to test.

There are small animals and birds, but no apparent predators on these small trips.

After a couple of weeks of this the Guiding Light reports that they have recharged enough to make a new jump.  A quick discussion follows, and a decision is made to have the jumpship go back, while the expedition lingers on the planet.  It would make the trip back, to report their progress and the founding of a new planet to inhabit.  Returning with new dropships to refuel the expeditions dropships was the plan.  It meant spending months on the planet, but really there was nothing dangerous to be concerned with, aside from Freelancers getting bored.

In the days that follow, much of the Pathfinder's compound is cleaned up and bought to active standards.  Scouting forays track deeper into the woods, while the compounds mainframe is found, charged, and bought back to life after minor repairs.

Freelancers with mechs that are hand actuator challenged are given a turn at the small ultra light constuction mechs to help do work around the compound.  All is quiet, at least for the moment.
Mortimer Grissom
 player, 193 posts
 "Brick"
Sat 6 Feb 2016
at 16:36
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Mort did one last careful inspection of his ride before taking his turn in the ultra lights. The Iron Curtain was a beautiful sight. The big Enforcer stood tall and proud. He had been able to do a couple mods to her while in transit to the planet. Now Mort would be even more deadly out in the field. His comm device rang and he cursed as he was forced to tear away from his beloved mech to perform manual labor with something that was barely considered a battle mech. The idea offended him. Anything under 35 tons was a sin against the idea of going to battle well prepared. Everyone knew, bigger was better.
Regina Arlington
 Player, 742 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Sun 7 Feb 2016
at 14:57
Re: Roleplaying Thread
29 Days since making planet fall, almost two weeks since the Guiding Light jumped out of the system, the expedition runs into it's First Snag.

One buildings used to store supplies is broken into.  There's a huge gapping hole large enough to drive a jeep through in the side of the building.  It looks like it was melted away by acid.  The building is pillaged, and all food was silently pillaged in the middle of the night.

Patrols were light, a two jeeps were parked on opposite sides of the compound with two guards in each jeep.  They swear up and down that there was no sign of the activity and are clueless how this happened.

This incident is taken seriously and the night patrols are doubled.

All four of the land rovers are put on the detail, two of them have big searchlights mounted in place of weapons to allow them to scan for activity more easily, the other two mount machine guns for anti personnel activity.  At least one of the Freelancers are put on night detail, to provide heavy support, and watch for trouble on their mechs sensors.  The hole is patched, and an armed squad is left to guard the bulding and a small stash of supplies.

Day patrols are also doubled, and forays into the surrounding area are made with an eye towards what is responsible for the missing supplies.
Kitten
 GM, 7131 posts
Sun 7 Feb 2016
at 15:13
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Current rolecall of active players...

Valkyrie       ~ Regina
(Current Modificiation  LRM 10 ~> SRM 4 (x2), CASE and 0.5t Armor)

Shadow Hawk-2H ~ Lucius  4/6 Ballistics
(Current Modification ~ AC 5 replaced with (2) AC 6, CASE installed RT and LT)

Jenner-F       ~ Teri
(Current Modification ~ (2) Heat sinks replaced with IS DS/HS ~ RT and LT)

Blackjack      ~
(Current Modification ~ (2) Heat sinks replaced with IS DS/HS ~ RT and LT)

Enforcer       ~ Mortimer
(Current Modification Small Laser removed for CASE)

Javelin-10F    ~ Mikael
(Current Modification ~ (2) Heat sinks replaced with IS DS/HS ~ RT and LT)

Mechs on Standby
Power Loader X-3   ~ (Status - Cargo)
Power Loader X-3EW ~ (Status - Cargo)
Stinger-3A ~ (Status - Cargo)
Lucius McMurphy
 Player, 1908 posts
 NCO1 - Corporal
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Mon 15 Feb 2016
at 02:00
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Acid.

Nothing good could come from anything that used acid to that quantity to open up ahole in the food stuffs storage and pilfer it quietly enough to not draw the attenion of the guards at hand.  ComStar might be well known and they had some interestingly skilled individuals but when it came to logistic protection they seemed to be dreadfully piss-poor at it.  First leaking the location to pirates as a 'test' that also caused them to loose all the expensive alterations that would have made the unit more capable and then now on a supposedly uninhabited planet to loose a large quantity of their food.  He had grumbled about it to Regina but she waved it off as the Will of Blake which only left him smiling as she walked away...admiring her curves in her tight uniform despite her being like a sister to him and how she blindly could follow a virtual religion.

So many contradictions.

Still at least his Hawk was pleasant to pilot in at night due to its comfort and decent sensor suite...though it wasn't the first time that he wished he could have swapped out the more or less useless LRM for a Guardian ECM and Beagle Probe to handle more sensitive duties while keeping him informed and capable.
Regina Arlington
 Player, 743 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Mon 15 Feb 2016
at 08:55
Re: Roleplaying Thread
The next few days had passed quietly.

Security was bumped up, and less was taken for granted.

The Freelancers were assigned a hour a day to practice their pilot skills to help keep the edge on their skills.  They find the tangled forest a pain in the arse to move about it.  If they kept to walking that was fine, but running about could be dangerous as the thick foilage was never known to have something large enough to literally trip up a mech that was in too much of a hurry to notice.  The trees were also tall enough that jumping over the great trees was not going to happen.

It was three nights later, that a firefight occurs in the compound.  Lucius is on the duty, and gets his Hawk out to the building, but it's over before he gets there.  The Comstar security details were on the ball and had dealt with what ever had occured.  The gunfire was noisy enough to wake nearly the whole camp though.

What was found was enough reason for concern or excitement, depending on who you were.

The xeno biologist seemed excited... well enough.  Anyone else with a sense of self preservation was concerned.

Half a dozen bugs or so... rough ant like, and two meters long were shot up in and about the storage building.  The patched up whole was eaten through and torn off with ease.  The detail inside was almost taken unaware, but caught on something was amiss when the smell of the acid eating through the wall was noticed.

People are told to get back to bed, and that the issue was resolved for now.  Their would be a debriefing in the morning when they hopefully would know more.

The next day, not much more is known, aside from the fact that a bunch of giant bugs have taken a liking to Com Star's stores of food.
Regina Arlington
 Player, 744 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Thu 18 Feb 2016
at 02:01
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Food was becoming an issue, you were already running low from so much time in space, that you really needed to find something local to forage off of.  With the theft of supplies, they were getting downright critical.

Air mobile assets were being switched over to find sources of food now.  Success seemed in hand a few days later, when berries the size of watermelons are found, and grapes the size of a medicine ball are found.  All that was needed was testing, to be certain that they were edible, and much of the concerns for drinks and edibles might be solved.  While they might not solve all the nutritional needs, it would go a long way to solving the crisis.

The tracked APCs are about the only thing that will get out there by ground.  The foilage is too tangled for the VTOLs to land, and Battlemechs are really made for cargo or scientific expeditions.  Regina pairs up with a freelancer to lead out a foray into the area where they were found.  She leaves Luc in charge while she's out.




Around mid-day there seems to be some sort of problem.  It becomes obvious that there seems to be some sort of crisis, and Regina gives the order for the APCs to scatter, while the battlemechs slow down pursuit.

"Burner... you have company coming your way.  Lots of company.  We're trying to lead them off and away north, but there are plenty of stragglers headed your way.  Pack up the non coms, and as much stuff as you can onto the Dropships.  So's they dont swarm the dropships, rip open a few supplies stores to decoy them to the busted up storage shack.  Deploy a Platoon to support the freelancers, you're going to need it.  Have everyone the rest of the PBIs secure the dropship.  Get everything that can move and shoot ready.  Will be back to the Pathfinder base... mmmm... eventually, trying to lead as many of these things away as possible, wont do to lead them home.  Gotta go, Blake be with you."

After the flurried message, there was only dead air.

If all goes as planned, new mission should be up in a day or three, if you want to be part of it, i want some sort of response so i know youre paying attention otherwise, at best, you'll be a late addition.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:01, Thu 18 Feb 2016.

Sean Reynolds
 player, 831 posts
 R2 - Sergeant
 Callsign: Firefly
Fri 19 Feb 2016
at 01:36
Re: Roleplaying Thread
Sean was glad for the diversion of planetfall after literally weeks of being 'trapped' inside his assigned dropship.  The open sky and earth beneath his feet proved to be a miracle cure for the almost clausterphobic conditions he and everyone else had endured, to say nothing of a chance to get back inside and pilot his Blackjack.

The first bit of time was almost idyllic but it was certainly too good to last.  Sure enough, things started going wrong, and going wrong fast.  First the missing food and now Siren's news of... whatever was coming their way.  Hopping inside his Blackjack, he prepared himself to repel intruders.