Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...   Posted by Kitten.Group: 0
Kitten
 GM, 99 posts
Thu 11 Jul 2013
at 23:33
Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
The mercenary unit find themselves on Bromhead.  Its a Davion held world on the edge of what they consider to be the inner sphere.  The Cappellans were close at hand but were never really aggressive with picking fights with their neighbors.

Pirate raid were thought to be a problem from Pirate's Haven.

Instead, it's been a dull six months of garrison duty.  There was nothing wrong with Garrison duty.  The units upkeep cost were barely covered by the steady paycheck that came and went.  Combat pay was what they really needed but the pirate were just not show their faces.

Outreach was a long way from Estuan.  There really was no point in packing the unit up and travelling out there only to redeploy somewhere else.  Space was vast and the weeks spent in space charging jump sails could be as bad as garrison duty.  Worse.  There was no pay check in to.

Zenha had her feelers out with her representative on Outreach.  It was possible that he might find them a contract... someplace .. close.  Already this far out they would be in a better position to move on the contract than others.  The only problem with that was that the fighting seemed far away on the fluxing borders between the great houses.  You would think pirates would be busy while they were busy, but that just was just not the case.

The unit was left alone at the moment.  They were holed up and mixed in with the local militia.  They had room.. board.. and not much else.  It really was time to move on, but she knew such things couldnt be rushed.


OCC:  Players should feel free to state what their character are doing during this down time.  This is not a mandatory activity.  I know Mac's game was all about the fight, but i prefer more of a roleplaying element in my campaigns.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:40, Sat 13 July 2013.

Sang-wei Ling
 player, 8 posts
Thu 11 Jul 2013
at 23:42
The nature of war...
Ling's beloved Raven, known affectionately as "Mockingbird" was at the moment housed in a huge Aerotech hanger.  The long months of inactivity had not gone to waste.  She has spent long hour in the shop locating a seller for some cutting edge equipment.

A set of Omni Tech Streak SRM 2's had replaced her old SRM 6.  She was comfortable enough with the efficiency of the weapon to reduce her munitions by half, as well as remove one of her medium lasers.  Lots and Lots of armor were added to make up for the weight displacement.  You could never have too much armor.  As much as Mockingbird's frame could mount was fine by her.

By now Ling was a veteran of conflict.  Combat was long stretches of boring preparation punctuated by a few brief moments of chaos all directed to undoing all the careful preparations.

"Such is the nature of war... Nevermore.", Ling quietly quoted to Mockingbird.
Adam Carlyle
 player, 19 posts
 2nd Lt Callsign: 'Cowboy'
 Mech: 'Lame Mustang'
Thu 11 Jul 2013
at 23:46
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Garrison duty was a cream role for Adam's family mech.  It hadn't seen the light of day in decades but he had used the last of his funds in salvaging the remains of his last mech to bringing her up to snuff.  It was something that he didn't wish that he had to do and even then convincing them into using it instead of arranging for some other light ride was difficult.  Thankfully the mech was well used by more Houses than just the Capellans and even all the way out here repair and maintenance was much easier...not to mention the fact that Ling found it interesting lending to her heritage.
Thomas Keith
 player, 7 posts
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 00:26
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Thomas was walking away from his Mech, a panther 9R, a relic of older wars against the Draconis Combine and trophy for his family. The Dark Huntress was sitting mournfully unused in the hanger as garrison duty was boring him and her to pieces.

Thomas approached 'Cowboy' and looked up at the UrbanMech. How he managed to actually put himself into the thing was a wonder to Thomas. That huge barrel of the auto cannon however was pure death to any foolish enough to underestimate it for a moment. "Oi Cowboy, you ready to put that horse down yet?" He smirked playfully at the Lt. That joke was never going to get old.
Adam Carlyle
 player, 20 posts
 2nd Lt Callsign: 'Cowboy'
 Mech: 'Lame Mustang'
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 00:35
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Adam chuckled, "You know that's the reason I won't put her down Keith.  Everyone is suckered when they get around her.  Then she sucker punches them with a trio of 250mm depleted uranium rounds.  Last thing they ever tend to do."

Patting the armour plating on the leg of the plodding beast he marveled how the gyro was even able to handle the strain.  The weapon and ammo combined weighed more than half the total mass of the thing.  Looking down the line to his ancient Panther he added, "Just like you'll never put that long in the tooth cat down."
Sang-wei Ling
 player, 9 posts
 (R2) - Specialist
 Mockingbird
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 01:04
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Ling picks up a rag to wipe the grime of her hands.

They were on the militia's base, there were nothing list inbound that wasnt suppose to be, and Commander Grey had the entire unit on stand down.  They werent being paid to fight so there was no reason to be on alert.  If things changed and things got hostile... will Ling was certain there would be a flurry of negotiations to get them working again.

She wanders over to the two men in the hanger with her.  Old friends by now it seemed.

"The Capellans makes these enmasse.", she comments nodding at Cowboy's ride.

"That should speak enough of its reputation to avoid them.", there was an easy going smile on her lips.  She was a Capellan through and through if she couldnt see the humor in herself it was going to be a long and unhappy life.

"What is it with you Fed Rats that have you macho mech jocks into thinking bigger is better?  Are you feeling the need to be ... compensating ... for something?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:05, Fri 12 July 2013.

Thomas Keith
 player, 8 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Call Sign: Falcon
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 01:32
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Thomas turned to regard the pretty Capellan. They were not enemies in this unit. He was not going to insult her House either. "Bigger is better where mechs are concerned Fraulein. But speed and sneak can kill just as easily, maybe we could discuss it over dinner sometime."

The Steiner had been shot down more than his fair share by Sang-Lei. It never stopped him from trying though. He did look down towards the Raven. The thing looked like metal chicken with a weird beak. "Did you get all of the feathers out of the linkages?"
Adam Carlyle
 player, 21 posts
 2nd Lt Callsign: 'Cowboy'
 Mech: 'Lame Mustang'
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 01:41
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Adam laughed again at Ling's joke and stuck out his tongue and ended with a wink, "It's the Capellan design to slap that Mydron-A on there...besides it's been in my family for hundreds of years so if you want to point fingers at compensating talk to my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother."
Sang-wei Ling
 player, 11 posts
 (R2) - Specialist
 Callsign: Mockingbird
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 01:54
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Ling resisted the bait that both men put out before her.  She knew better than to nibble on poison.

"The commander is working on a new contract.
 Strange.  How you seem to yearn for combat when youre on leave.
 Yet once you have it, the disillusioned reality of it all quickly has you yearning for peace again.
 I'm going to miss a comfortable bed.  Warm meals.  Indoor plumbling.
", Ling makes a vaguely dismissive gestures.

"You guys can find a tree to do your business.
 You have no idea how thrilling it is to be squatting on some hostile planet to relieve yourself ... wondering what would be worse being shot and dying or shot and living with the humiliation.
", Ling tone was dead pan serious, which from long aquaintence, youve found passed for brand of humor.
Zenha Grey
 player, 29 posts
 2nd Lt, Callsign:Baroness
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 01:57
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Zenha Grey looked up at the clock. Already? She rubbed her tired eyes as she stood. "Time flies when your looking for a better gig," she said to the empty room. She stretched as she picked up her noteputer. Time to check the unit. Her boots echoed softly as she entered the Aerotech hanger where many of their mechs were being held. Garrison work was still work, she tried to convince herself.

Zenha tried to look optimistic when she saw several of the folks standing next to one of the mechs.
Kitten
 GM, 100 posts
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 02:04
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
It's been three days since Zenha had been put her feelers out.  Even by Hyper Pulse generator, communication was limited to exchanges once a day.

Three contracts had come and gone.  Two grossly inappropriate that canon fodder and suicide mission might as well be stamped on the contract.  The third, they had lost out because it was time sensitive and they were no where near where they needed to be to deploy.  Wilson's wimps got the contract was the last she heard.  Any client desparate enough to take those losers werent worth having for clients, she tried to cheer herself.

Two days had passed with brief messages of 'nothing appropriate', after that.  It was... another day nothing.  Nothing new would be heard from out reach till tomorrow.
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 15 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 04:17
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
"So what if we are compensating?, these missiles will shred anything that even remotely considers an engagement worth it"
The young Lyran appeared from behind her whitworth, wiping grease off her hands.

"Maybe we should get ourselves a truck-toilet"
they wouldn't and she knew it, the space was needed for parts and munitions, far more important than any measure of comfort.
Adam Carlyle
 player, 25 posts
 2nd Lt Callsign: 'Cowboy'
 Mech: 'Lame Mustang'
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 14:19
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Adam chuckled and added a wink, "Fair enough Ling, but at least you don't have a body part so exposed that the slightest damage means almost incapacitating pain."

Sitting on the squat foot of his 'Lame Mustang' he knew that the majority of the pilots were good, but it just wasn't home yet for him.  They had been together for a bit and that had been helpful to morale but like most mercs it was difficult to handle the hurry up and wait program.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 5 posts
 Call Sign "Traxx"
 Mech "Road Runner"
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 15:37
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Pax was out with his mech making sure the mongoose was ready to run.  Running it through the practice range and feeling pleased on the score.  It paid to stay frosty in case something happened ... yeah right.

Returning to the mech bay he noticed a small gathering and wondered if a new mission had come through.  Garrison duty was a nice change but like every young mech warrior he was ready for a real mission.

Settling Road Runner into his assigned bay he powers down the mech.  While waiting for the power down sequence to finish he thought back to how many family members through the years had used this mech and more recently how he came to be its operator. With a deep sigh he grabs his towel and jacket for the cooler conditions outside the mech.

After drying off he hangs the towel on a rack and climbs down.  At the bottom of the mech he slips on his jacket, the back having a design of a cartoon bird that looked fast. The design matched the one painted on his mech, which oddly looked fresh and bright for such an older mech.  It was an old gag that had survived the years regarding the name and design of the bird on the back of his jacket.  Something about an elusively fast 'Road Runner' out witting and out maneuvering his hunter. The hunter constantly paying the price for coming after the bird.  The details had been lost over time but the image and the basics of what it meant had endured.

Approaching the others Pax zips up his jacket, "Any new offers?"
Thomas Keith
 player, 10 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Call Sign: Falcon
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 16:57
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Thomas chuckled at Adam and nodded in agreement, almost was too gentle a word for that. He absently watched the Mongoose walk into the bay and take its place. The approach of Lt. Grey brought his attention. Baroness might have something new for them to do, he hoped. He watched and waited.
David Crain
 player, 15 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 17:25
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
David sits in the cockpit of his Blackjack with the hatch open, simply staring at the powered up console.  After blankly staring at it for a few long moments he powered it down, there was really only so much maintenance you could perform on a mech that sat idly by in the hanger.

Exiting the mech and closing the hatch, he climbed down the ladder and almost wished for something exciting to happen before catching himself and thinking 'be careful what you wish for...'.  Upon reaching the ground he looked around and saw a growing group of his comrades gathering around and seemed to be animatedly discussing something.  "Do we have a new contract?" he wondered as he walked over to join the group.
Zenha Grey
 player, 30 posts
 2nd Lt, Callsign:Baroness
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 18:25
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Zenha turned to Pax, "None worthwhile. But I have a few contacts on Outreach checking on a few leads." She waited as all eyes turned to her as she presented the news, "But in the meanwhile, garrison work is still work."

"Ling, any news from the local militia?"
Zenha asked about any pirate activity.
David Crain
 player, 18 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Fri 12 Jul 2013
at 18:39
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
David's face turns to a look of disappointment upon reaching the group and hearing Zenha's response.  He didn't really hear Pax's question but he could make a fairly accurate guess.  He will continue to pay attention on the hopes of hearing something that would make this job, well, less dull.
Sang-wei Ling
 player, 14 posts
 (R2) - Specialist
 Callsign: Mockingbird
Sat 13 Jul 2013
at 01:31
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Ling shakes her head, "No.", lips pursed in an irritated look she shakes her head.

"The militia is pretty happy with all the quiet.  They get paid the same... fighting or not fighting.  The harvest came and went.  They thought they might have had problems with hungry pirates... they have to eat too... but you know how that went.  No raids.  The they harvested, and what's not dispersed into the population was sold to nearby planets, the C-bills in a comstar account arent anything pirates can really steal."
Zenha Grey
 player, 32 posts
 2nd Lt, Callsign:Baroness
Sat 13 Jul 2013
at 03:34
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
"So the harvest is done." Zenha replied, "And with the C-Bills in the bank, the militia doesn't believe that pirates would come to the planet? What about water resources?" She ask without expecting much of an answer in terms of resources.
Sang-wei Ling
 player, 15 posts
 (R2) - Specialist
 Callsign: Mockingbird
Sat 13 Jul 2013
at 04:09
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
"Water is heavy and they're more inclined to raid the asteroid belt, when solid blocks of ice are mined.", Ling shrugs

"... or so they believe.  I really have no desire to picket a garrison in an asteroid belt.", Lings nose wrinkles at the thought.  Zero G combat was something she was vaguely familiar with.  All her experience were of the negative sort.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 8 posts
 Call Sign "Traxx"
 Mech "Road Runner"
Sat 13 Jul 2013
at 17:19
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Pax looks down at the bay's floor tying to not look too disappointed.  Having nothing useful to add to the conversation he decided to keep his mouth shut.
Kitten
 GM, 108 posts
Sun 14 Jul 2013
at 00:51
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
The members of the brat pack gather and go to kill some time in the mess hall.

It's the same routine that has them bored to tears, but everything else they'd like to get done has been done.

As they all gather to spend another dead boring evening of drinking... bar games...  and old war stories at the base recreation hall.  A little icon pops up in Zanha's ready room.

'You have mail', winks on and off waiting for attention to notice it.
David Crain
 player, 20 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Sun 14 Jul 2013
at 01:17
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Joining the rest of the crew in the rec. room, David was at least thankful someone was able to get ahold of several decks of cards.  At least the evenings could be passed in a less than boring fashion and he believed that tonight's game of choice was euchre.
Zenha Grey
 player, 35 posts
 2nd Lt, Callsign:Baroness
Sun 14 Jul 2013
at 05:57
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Zenha had the habit of carrying her noteputer with her whenever she was out of the office. It was even true in the recreation hall. She excused herself and reviewed the contract offer at a nearby empty table.

This is the best offer that I've seen in months. Zenha thought to herself as she read the fine details of the contract. Finally she motioned for everybody to gather. "Drinks on me tonight!" She closed the noteputer. The final instructions was already queued to go out with the next hyperspace transmission.

"We've got ourselves a contract. Expect thirty days for us to dust off this planet."
Kitten
 GM, 110 posts
Mon 15 Jul 2013
at 04:12
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Zenha's predictions for a 30 day wait for dust off are off by a significant magnitude.

She sends off a missive with the units interest, and goes to bed.  She wakes with travel arrangements in motion to transport the unit to Detroit.  A Periphery planet with some level of industry, and the capital of a fledgling alliance of planets forming in the periphery.

A dropship makes planetfall a day later and the unit is dusting off for a 2 jump jaunt through space.  Theres a 2 week wait, where the sails are deployed to recharge before the final jump i made for Detroit.

If the characters have anything to do before dusting off, or during the two week wait to recharge the jump ship, please state so here.  I should (i hope) have time to finalize things tomorrow when the weekend hectic schedule comes to an end.
Sang-wei Ling
 player, 17 posts
 (R2) - Specialist
 Callsign: Mockingbird
Mon 15 Jul 2013
at 04:14
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Ling takes the sudden departure in stride.  She makes certain that the Mockingbird is loaded up on the union and settles in for the 2 week trip to Detroit.

She spends time lingering in the cockpit of her Raven of ghosting around quietly on the decks of the Union.  It wasnt that she was trying too hard to hide, it was just second nature to move about with a certain degree of stealth.
David Crain
 player, 22 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Mon 15 Jul 2013
at 04:56
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
David certainly isn't complaining about the accelerated schedule.  Glad to leave that planet behind, his Blackjack is loaded up onto the dropship within 30 minutes of being given the 'all clear'.  His belongings are gathered up shortly after that.  He waves the planet a cheerful goodbye before strapping himself in for liftoff.  Once docked to the jumpship however, he realizes that he has a few questions for the Lieutenant concerning his mission.
Thomas Keith
 player, 15 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Call Sign: Falcon
Tue 16 Jul 2013
at 19:19
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Thomas is ready to leave this dustball for something else to do. The question is what was the nature of the contract, another garrison. He was ready to go and had his gear stowed by the time the call came in a day to be ready. 30 days turned into 30 hours. Someone was in a hurry...Why.....
Sang-wei Ling
 player, 18 posts
 (R2) - Specialist
 Callsign: Mockingbird
Tue 16 Jul 2013
at 19:29
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Ling does a walk through the Calypso and notices that the ship had a very well pristine feel to it.  Neat tidy and well kept.


Ling seems to stay busy, and only barely shows up to grab quick meals leaving her assigned bunk bed tidy and unused.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:55, Tue 16 July 2013.

Zenha Grey
 player, 37 posts
 2nd Lt, Callsign:Baroness
Tue 16 Jul 2013
at 23:35
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Zenha called everyone together one evening for a meal, it was not optional. "Alright listen up, we'll be entering Detroit in less than 24 hours. Make sure your mechs are ready." Zenha seemed to have been repeating that their mechs needed to be ready almost daily while they were in transit.

"This is a fairly new unit." She was interrupted when someone asked for the name of the unit. "Rat Pack", she said with a smile. "But tonight we eat."
Adam Carlyle
 player, 36 posts
 XO, Callsign: 'Cowboy'
 Mech: 'Lame Mustang'
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 01:48
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Adam had been doing power output ratios till they loaded his ride for transit.  While on the way he did his best to work out in Zero-G...he still didn't feel fully recovered from his mechs destruction even now after so much time.  When Zenha called for the evening meal before arrival Adam showed up and listened.  Asking the question that everyone was likely to wonder about, "What's the measure in Detroit Baroness?"
David Crain
 player, 24 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 02:57
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
While in transit, David had been spending most of his time down in the mechbay at the Lt's request that their mechs be kept at combat-ready status.  He had been working mostly on his own mech but also that of others, helping out where he could.  He had even found a few hours to sleep.

During the mandatory meeting he found out why.  He still had a few questions, however, notably:  "What's the situation, Lieutenant, and who are we up against?"
Kitten
 GM, 122 posts
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 13:57
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Role Playing Experience given out.

 2 xp Adam
 2 xp David
 1 xp Henriette
 1 xp Pax
 3 xp Ling
 1 xp Thomas
 2 xp Zenha

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:58, Wed 17 July 2013.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 13 posts
 "Traxx" G3/P4/M1 +3 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 15:31
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Pax had settled in and figured a few strong drinks is just what the mech warrior needed before hitting the rack.

24 hours.  It was good that they would be on the planet tomorrow.  He would much rather be running around on the ground in metal than flying through space in it.  Road Runner was prepped and without some new fancy tech was as good as you could get with a mech that fast.

They had some practice sessions.  He just hoped that with all the time he spent sitting around on his butt these last months didn't make him too rusty for real combat.
Thomas Keith
 player, 20 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Call Sign: Falcon
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 16:47
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Thomas was with Pax on his like of being in space. It was not fun. He would be glad to be dirt-side. He paid close attention when David asked about the opposition picking at his food as his stomach was not in the mood for eating.

There was that one time he puked in his neurohelm during a combat drop and he never wanted to revisit that place again.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:14, Wed 17 July 2013.

Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 32 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 17:08
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Henriette  had looked her blackjack over the first fifteen times during the first week, now she wandered the dropship, aimless... Bored out of her skull.

She didn't so much mind the space voyages themselves, it was the blandness, how every day was exactly the same as the last one, which got  to her.

in the end she settled into a routine of eat, sleep, sit around reading Mech magazines, tactics manuals, and magazines, and maintenance manuals.
she wanted to exercise, but due to the limited water, she kept it at a minimum.

as time passed, even that  got too boring, and she hibernated... sort of...

Then came a day, where everyone seemed far more excited than usual, it wasn't till noon she realized they'd be landing the next day.

When they sat  down for dinner that  night, she'd done her best  to freshen up (as much as facilities permitted), and the blank stare was slowly fading to one of curiosity
Zenha Grey
 player, 45 posts
 R2 - Commander
 Call sign - 'Baroness'
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 23:01
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
In reply to Adam Carlyle (msg # 32):

"It's a more garrison work." Zenha smiled as she heard several groans. "It's not much, but there were worse. We still have to make a name for ourselves in order to get better contracts."

"But this one is multi-phase contract. That means it's open-ended, so there might be more contracts and other missions. So we have the potential for a bigger payout."

Zenha Grey
 player, 46 posts
 R2 - Commander
 Call sign - 'Baroness'
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 23:03
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
In reply to David Crain (msg # 33):

Zenha shook her head, "Don't know yet. We haven't received those details until we get planetside. Their security forces didn't want to give that information out."
Thomas Keith
 player, 22 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Call Sign: Falcon
Wed 17 Jul 2013
at 23:46
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
Thomas frowned at the lack of information. "That is never a good sign. The less they tell you, the more surprises there are. Surprises are very rarely good. The Steiner was not enchanted about being kept in the dark but then again, clients were not going to broadcast their dirty laundry for everyone to see unless they were desperate.
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 36 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
Thu 18 Jul 2013
at 06:08
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
"at least tell us you negotiated a good bonus, based on their unwillingness to give out information.

I know I know, the dead can't spend, but if i'm going into something like this, without proper intel because they're reluctant to share... I had better know the payday is wirth whatever they aren't telling me."

Adam Carlyle
 player, 44 posts
 R2 - Executive Officer
 Callsign - 'Cowboy'
Thu 18 Jul 2013
at 14:49
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
"No intel beforehand with a garrison tends to mean either some industrial or governmental secret that they want kept hidden and protected quietly or they are paranoid." nodded Adam as he ran over the scenarios.

"Sadly both can lead to either mind numbing boring duty or meat-grinder combat as we are tossed to protect what they want so they don't loose it."

He shrugged with a smile, "Never pass on easy money, was looking at learning another language.  You think I can find the latest Rosetta Stone programs on Detroit..."
David Crain
 player, 25 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Thu 18 Jul 2013
at 16:19
Re: Light *shudder* Roleplaying thread...
David frowned upon hearing Zehna's response, "So we're dropping blind into a combat zone inside a city.  We don't know who's down there, how many of them there are, or even what hardware they have.  Can't say I like that even a little bit.  Still, we're here and that's our contract.  How long before we drop?"
Kitten
 GM, 454 posts
Thu 19 Sep 2013
at 16:29
Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Feel free to roleplay the results of your missions or anything you want to roleplay post mission two.

It was a good lull of action for the mercs.  Over the span of two months, they managed successfully safeguard supplies (convoy) to Miller's Creek, to fend off an incursion on Millers Creek (Garrison), and even managed to find and foil a staging point (patrol) that was in the midst of being set up.

Good news has a way of traveling fast.  If the lure of a warm bed, and a roof wasnt enough to draw the last of the resistance to rally at Miller's Creek, the news of a bright spot of resistance was.

Planetary militia and the last of the planetary defenses were drawing together around Miller's Creek to form a solid pocket of resistance.  {New player units join at this point, including Olaf}




Roleplaying tallies will be noted and added (to Mission 2) when Mission Three starts.
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 4 posts
 Freelance mechwarrior
 Callsign Berserker
Sat 21 Sep 2013
at 00:18
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
OOC: w00t!

Game on:

The mech materialized on the horizon, working it’s way toward friendly lines following the road and without trying to use the undulating ground to find cover for a more tactical approach.  As the distance closed, it became clear that the aging Whitworth had taken a long hard road to get here.  Although largely functional, the mech was a patchwork of unpainted replacement armour panels and older panels painted with well worn jungle cam tiger stripes entirely inappropriate for Detroit’s climate.  Arms and legs wore scorch marks and pits; some fresh, some much older.  The battle scars were mostly cosmetic damage but obvious signs that the mechwarrior had not entirely escaped recent fighting.  The 40 ton war-machine bore no identifying marks that would give any clue to a unit or affiliation - quite the opposite in fact.  The only patches of fresh paint were two large flat black squares painted over the right breast and left thigh, a third smaller square appeared on the right shoulder obscuring whatever unit identifiers had once decorated the beleaguered battlemech.

Inside the mech’s cockpit Olaf keyed his communications system to monitor a wide spectrum of channels, hoping he could pick up the channel being used by the garrison of mercs at Miller’s Creek.
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 152 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Mon 23 Sep 2013
at 23:06
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
"Well that went right up shits creek."
Henriette grumbled to herself, jsut as  she ehaded through the door to their temporary Cafeteria.
Soldiers needed a place to eat, this wa sa rule regardless  of where in the universe you were, and she just wanted some chow and a beer, quite possibly several, to dorwn out the images  of slaughtered civilians.
"I'll fucking kill that murdering scum, slaughter the lot of them"
The bastards had opened unprovoked fire uppon civilians, hell it had seemed to be their mission.
Defenseless civilians, theyd bloody murdered noncombatants.
She went over and got herself a tray and some food, as well as a pair of cans of beer to wash it down with.

The food  was stale, as the images of burned and shredded carcasses passed through her mind once again.
Damnit, this wasn't okay.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 128 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 01:58
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
The Enemy withdrew.  While the causalities were higher than Pax would have wanted, the main clump of them survived.  The plans to scatter the civilians about back fired with the VTOLs overflying the mech defenders.  The death toll was still coming in and Pax took each death seriously.

Till the Captain made it back he was in charge and he was going to chat with  Burner for breaking formation.  Hell, he needed to bring dental floss to his teeth from the butt chewing Burner was about to receive.

Parking Road Runner he looked to where their new member parked and headed that way.

OOC Wanted Burner/Luc to see it coming!  hehe
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 184 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 02:20
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Having not one, but two of the command structure ordering him to stop trailing the enemy mechs made him wonder if they really were here to defend the populace.  Sure they were going through the motions but even he knew that when you were defending that if you got an advantage on home turf you had to hit them...and hit them hard.

This pansy waffling around was swinging his gauge over to the 'not in a chance in hell' that he'd stick with these amateurs...and that was saying a lot coming from a man like himself.  Popping the hatch he climbed down his girl and noticed the fuming Road Runner stalking his way.  Unless he had something really good to say, and he doubted that he would tell Luc that he was wrong, this was going to be one of 'those' chats.
David Crain
 player, 92 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 03:39
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
David was furious, no, pissed with himself for being unable to stop the greater part of the convoy from escaping.  They had had a chance to hurt them good but no, his inability to hit the proverbial broad side of a barn meant that most of them had escaped.  Worse yet, they would just set up camp again, somewhere else, and we would have to start again to find them.  There were times when this planet seemed larger than it actually was.

Before heading in for supper he made sure he booked several blocks of practice time on the live firing range.
Regina Arlington
 player, 30 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 13:41
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
The convoy came in quick and safe, and supplies were unloading as she bought her mech to a part. It looked like the outpost had been attacked while they were gone.  Signs of the battle were evident where bullets had chewed up buildings and fires were being put out.  Bodies were being laid out side by side as the casualties were being counted.

It was sad.  It was obvious that those that had fallen were heathens.  Non believers in the one and true word of Blake.  Sinners all.  They didnt deserve their fate thought, while they lived and breathed there was a chance they could be saved.  Obviously Blake had seen it fit to end their existence.

The Convoy had been spared mostly through her stalwart faith in the Word.  Would it be enough to keep them all safe?  Her faith was strong but she was one among a bunch of weak believers at best.

"Rejoice children of Blake.  You have been spared this day through Blake's mercy.
 I... the Serene Light Of Blake... shall hold a sermon to renew your faith.
 To ensure that you might continue to benefit from his benign grace.  For now.
 I must attend to the fallen, who have passed beyond his reach.
", it was an odd thing, to watch Regina spew her rhetoric with such a deadpan straight face.

It was obvious she believed what she recited with such frevor that a few in the convoy had actually considered if there was any truth to be had in her words.  She caught a few curious glances as she went among the fallen who had been lined up to give them a few words from Blake to comfort them before they left this mortal world.  Others shook their heads at the crazy woman, but were glad she was about on the convoy this morning.

When her gruesome chore was done she went to find Lucius, the only mechwarrior she knew with any familiarity.

"May Blake's light of serenity shine upon you.", she greeted Lucius in her typical breezy manner.  She had that wide eyed spacey look about her that was easy to mistake for being an airhead.  Lucius knew better.  Regina just saw the world a little different from the rest of them.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:44, Tue 24 Sept 2013.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 185 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 14:16
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Spotting Regina and knowing she'd get to him before Pax did he smiled at the moon-touched woman and responded in kind, "May Blake's light of serenity shine upon you as well Sister."

He looked over to the convoy and sighed, "Looks like you had better results on your escort mission...things went FUBAR here and I was called off twice from taking the fight to the cowards and finish them off...the Locust and Wasp will not be eager to match me again that's for sure."
Regina Arlington
 player, 30 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 15:22
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Regina gave Lucius a serene smile.

"Blake's will guided our way.
 You were obviously left with the non-believers.

 It was Blake's will that what was, is.  Accept his grand design and be at peace.
"

Regina put a thoughtful finger to her lips and cocks her head to one side with a contemplative look for a moment.

"It would seem that it is Blake's will to keep us in balance.  Isnt that Berserker's Whitworth?"

This message was lightly edited by the player at 15:22, Tue 24 Sept 2013.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 187 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 15:20
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Luc grumbled a bit but still smiled at her.  Playing along was worth the effort, "I'll accept that they weren't to die this day but I'll work to ensure the next time they do..."

Turning his head he looked over to the Whitworth and squinted, "You know you're right it is...I thought he went down on the second day after we couldn't grab his signal."
Regina Arlington
 player, 31 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 15:25
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
"Blake's will works in mysterious ways.

All things come in their time and place.

All things come to pass that should.
", Lucius was always pleasant company.  He seemed to understand Regina, or at least humor her more than most.  She was hungry though, so mortal needs of the flesh needed to be tended to.  There was fresh food on the convoy and Regina wanted some of those Veggies while they were still fresh.  She wasnt really a vegetarian, she just had a preference to avoid meat.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 131 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 04:12
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Pax tried not to be overly pissed. In fact he took the long way to Burner's mech bay to cool down a bit.  Approaching he spots Burner was talking to the other new pilot Reggie.

"Burner!"  Pax calls and with a double finger point, he gestured for Burn to come over for a chat.
Sang-wei Ling
 NPC, 39 posts
 (R2) - Specialist
 Callsign: Mockingbird
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 15:44
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Sang-Wei Ling, had enjoyed her time away from the Rat Pack.  It was easy to lose herself in the technical wizardry that their employers seemed to possess.  It was far in advance of much she had seen, and hinted at access to the memory core that was recovered by the Grey Death Legion.

Where else could such advances had come from, still to have access to the information and implement it in such a short time was impressive, suspiciously so.  Her knowledge of use of her Raven's EW and it's advance electronics was the reason she was picked out to work with the 101st Assault group.

There were only a half dozen pilots but everyone of them seemed to pilot the odd looking Catapults.  It was a variant she hadnt seen before, and she had every known modification and variant stored in her Raven's data base for friend for identification.  It was a curious puzzle, to which she quietly applied her impressive deductive skills.

It was at this time that she was introduced to Sao-wei Tsang.  An interesting officer of the Capellan armed forces.  Sharing common ground, she was made an unofficial liason to the uncertain intelligence resource.  While Tsang's rank was unimpressive his service with the Death Commandos spoke volumes about his competance.

What was he doing out here in the periphery?  Evidently concerns over the possible increase in Davion's sphere of influence in the periphery was a concern to the Chancellor.  To allow the powerful house to outflank the less influential Capellan's was something Ling knew the Chancellor could ill afford.  News of the advance technology that seemed to be available in the periphery was another rumor he was here to investigate.

Discussions were long... subtle... and veiled.  Ling felt as if she were crossing a room of scorpions and need to tread very carefully and slowly.
Kitten
 GM, 486 posts
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 16:37
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
A few days after the attack on Miller's Creek and the Convoy, Sang-Wei Ling returns for a brief visit with some sort of Intel officer.  The invaders were running low on supplies, and a shipment was en route to handle their shortages.  If this supply run could be disrupted it would go a long way to force them off the planet.

An all out assault was currently  being planned, of which the units at Miller's creek were going to be key for the success or failure of the operation.  In an effort to improve the strength of the units at Miller's creek, the 101st were making available new equipment, developed from the Grey Legion's memory core for some units to use.

Lucius' Javelin was being modified with an experimental electronics that was suppose to improve weapon acquisition lock-on.  {1 ton of Target Computers}

Regina's Valkyrie was selected for notable work on the Internal structure.  A light weight bulky material that did not concede strength.  {Endo Steel}

To ensure that things went smoothly, an officer from the mysterious 101st was joining the Miller Militia to tighten coordination.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 189 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 18:23
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Luc smiled at Reggie and and rolled his eyes, "Looks like the Bossman isn't happy, time to pay the pipper.  I'll catch you later."

Leaving her infinitely more enjoyable company Luc waltzed over and flicked his tongue over his upper cainine as he got up to Pax, "Watcha need Road Runner?"
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 157 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 18:57
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Henriette sighed as she looked into the 'hangar' from their makeshift cafeteria.
She should hve remembered her duties, but she had a hard time dealing with the fact they'd had to let those murdering scum go, no quarter could be given to this enemy, not after what they had done to unarmed civilians.

still she should have been out there chewing out Lucius, not becuase she  thought what he'd done was wrong, hell she'd have done the exact same if she hadn't been the operation XO.
But because this would create friction between the CO and Lucius, friction they could ill afford.
Next time she saw Zenha she would advice it might be a good idea to make sure those two weren't sent on the same mission, for the next few runs.

She finished her food from the field  kitchen, and emptied the first can of beer, finally popping open the second, watching the goings on in their little corner  of the universe.

What was Zenha doing?, she should be here to evaluate things.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 132 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 21:37
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Pax takes a deep sigh, one with a bit of pain in it, "the Mongoose's name is Road Runner ... not me." 

Obviously dealing with a local that is none too bright, some of the anger leeches from Pax.   Speaking slowly he continues, "My call sign is Traxx.

Listen up, you need to understand that we have goals during combat.  Running off in a blood crazed anger is what we did to them at the start.  It took them off their battle plan and bought us some time to take advantage.

You running off could have cost us ... namely more lives of those we were trying to protect.  Another, I've seen those VTOLs get in luck shots, We lost the XO in the first engagement here and I don't want to see another "lance mate" take another hit like that if I can help it."


Taking another breath, "If you feel the need to run off and get yourself killed I'll keep it in mind and find the best time and place for you to go out in a 'blaze' of glory, I got no problem with that."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 190 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 22:38
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
"Our goal was protecting the civilians and that got right frakked up when someone made the decision to spread them all over the place where VTOL's could get at them easy when our mechs couldn't cross terrain fast enough to make a difference and let the vehicles have easy access to the masses to gun down a couple dozen before you two could stop them..." replied Luc to the frustrated Pax looking unconcerned.

"You got it boss-man, toss me at the next blaze of glory then...least I'll be doing something and actually taking out these bastards rather than chasing tail I'll never get anywhere with."
Pax Tarkin
 player, 133 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 23:32
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.


Pax was almost calm but with Lucius' words he was again hot. "Well I wish you would have shared the intel that told us the make up of the attacking force, instead of keeping it to your self Private Obvious.

But the truth is if we didn't land when we did they would all be dead.  The survivors are still breathing cause we stepped in and lost one of our own defending them in the process.  And we stayed to defend them even when it would have been so easy to walk away and collect.

Don't let your peasant emotional quilt for not being here the first time fool you.  You pull a stunt like that again and get one of my mine shot up or killed ... I   WILL   SEE   YOU    SHOT!

DISMISSED ! "

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 191 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 01:36
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.


Luc raised an eyebrow at the threat of being shot but he didn't bother responding.  Shaking his head he turned and walked away, arguing with him was a waste of breath.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 135 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 14:59
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Pax needed a drink.  It was time to bust out a bottle from his private stash.  He would be glad when the boss showed up and take command of the unit again.

Pax walked off with a purpose to his quarters, grumbling as he went.
Lina Todd
 R0 - Mechwarrior, 1 post
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 15:41
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Coming into the town with Sang-wei Ling the oddly shaped X-3a semed to have the same feel as the strange Catapults that the Rat Pack had seen before.  This one mounted an axe in its right hand an a snub-nosed looking laser mounted in the left and two more paired on it's shoulders in each torso.  Climbing out of her mech Lina looked around at the disarray of things as well as the growing body count of civilians that were being buried.

It was times like these that she wished that she was more like her sister Megan...the purity of space and ability to leave all this visible barbarity behind was something she wished she could do but she didn't test well enough to be part of that prestigious program like her sister had.  Still she showed a lot of promise for a more dedicated program and knew some day she'd be able to move up and pilot the true power houses of the 101st.

Wearing a body hugging jumpsuit of white and dark olive green it showed off her athleticly petite feminine curves, her hair was braided in such a way that her neuro-helmet could get the right contact points and she wore a thigh holster with a hold-out laser pistol.  She knew she was supposed to talk to a Zenha Grey as the Liason so she asked the first person sporting mechwarrior gear, "Excuse me...where can I find Zenha Grey?  I'm the Liason Officer between your unit and the 101st...at least for the immediate future..."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:58, Fri 27 Sept 2013.

Regina Arlington
 player, 32 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 15:53
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Zenha and Thomas were both down and ill.

Supplies being rather spoty, rations were less than pristine and new, and they had both been served bits of meat that were perhaps a little too expired to be considered truly edible.  While not terminally ill, both certainly wished it from the sounds of their discomfort.

Yet another reason to partake in fresh veggies while the going was good.  Much easier to spot bad food when it wasnt buried in a soup of sauce and gravy.  Blake's ire was swift and certain, partake not in meat seemed to be the lesson.

"Commander Grey is ill.  I believe her Executive officer, Pax Tarkin is next in command.", Regina comments pointing out Pax's quarters, where he was making the acquaintance of his stash of liquid sin.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 136 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 15:59
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Noticing the new person only when she spoke to him Pax's thoughts snapped back to the 'now'.
"ugh ???

Oh Captain Grey .... that is a good question.  I'll try and find her for you.  Name's Pax.  Acting XO of the Rat Pack."
  HE offers her his hand.

Finally aware of her ride and who she represented Pax raises an eyebrow, "and what pray tell did you ride in here on Liason?"  He scans the mech to appraise its capabilities.  He would have better luck if someone would hand him a tech read out, since much of it seemed new.
Kitten
 GM, 491 posts
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 16:16
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
X-3s are an odd looking mech.  They're not particularly large, weighing only 25 tons.

They resemble Valkyries, but have large shoulder bays, similar to those on a Crusader or Archer.
The X-3A's while functionally similiar to the X-3's were never meant to be aerodynamic to jump, and as such appear bulkier look.  20% heavier than their smaller cousin, contributes to the stockier look.  The Axe looked like something from Solaris, gaving it an amatuerish look that played to show, instead of a machine of war.  These considerations combined together give the mech a rather unique silouette.


This message was last edited by the GM at 16:19, Fri 27 Sept 2013.

Lina Todd
 R0 - Mechwarrior, 2 posts
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 18:23
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Lina nodded with a smile and a simple "Thanks..." to Regina before turning back to Pax who had reached out his hand.

Extending her own she a small smirk touched her lips, "Nice to meet you Pax.  I'm Lina and the ride I came in on the techies call an X-3A.  They haven't gotten around to giving it another designation and I just have been calling him Ironman."
Pax Tarkin
 player, 137 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 19:26
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.

A pang of jealousy passed through Pax has he looked at a new Mech.  Not only a new mech but a new design.  NEW NEW NEW.  Still taking in the sight he asks, "Looks impressive.  So I can fill in the Captain, if you needed to assist in a battle,  whats the non classified  specs?"
Lina Todd
 R0 - Mechwarrior, 3 posts
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 19:54
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Lina had a rich laugh for Pax in wanting to know specs on her Ironman, "Displaces thirty tons, throttle let out crosses 92 kilometers per hour, you can obviously see the axe and he's got a trio of those medium pulse lasers that you're unit was offered but instead took up the option on the lighter internal structure."

Motioning for him to move just a little out of the way of the main thoroughfaire Lina took her tone down.  As the XO he was going to find out anyways and if Grey was sick and couldn't perform then he'd have operational command, "Listen we both know that we're low on supplies since the assault began on this planet...and you've seen firsthand the campaign they are waging is one of scorched earth."

She paused for a second, "We've got a dropship inbound but she had to land at the spaceport.  Our units are going to head to the spaceport...you ran across Commander Snow a bit back.  They are going to draw off the heavier assets there while your unit and some transports with infantry are going to spearhead a dash into the city and to the Spaceport itself.  We'll need to fight off what is left at the LZ so that supplies can be off-loaded and then get out of dodge..."
Pax Tarkin
 player, 138 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Fri 27 Sep 2013
at 21:21
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Pulse Lasers, he had heard that they make targets easier to hit... he sure could of use them.

Hearing the rest as they move around the mech he learns about the next mission.  Sounds challenging.  He better let the Captain know right away.

For the display of the ground crew, "Nice ... lets go get you checked in with the Captain.  Follow me."

Pax headed for the Captain's office.
Kitten
 GM, 493 posts
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 01:32
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.


Preacher, was the closest that Miller's creek had to a doctor.  He was a Medic in the militia before retiring to settle down to sheppard the spiritual needs of Miller's creek, filling in when mining accidents struck.

He was blocking Pax and Lina's progress for the moment from continuing, "Not so fast kids.", he comments in his southern drawl, tilting his head slightly to regard both of you with his good eye.

"Bunch of peeps came down with a mild case of food posioning.  Not lethal, but theres no telling that to the patient.  Doled out what sedatives i had to have them sleep the worse of it off.  Commander Grey, and Mechwarrior Keith are among them.  They're going to be out for a 48 hours... give or take, till the bad meat they had works it's way out of their system.  Whatever business you got with them, will have to wait."

Past Preacher, you can see cots have been laid out in the town hall, and a two dozen patients are laid out and quietly sedated.  Among them, two members of the Rat Pack.
Regina Arlington
 player, 33 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 01:35
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Regina returns from the mess hall, with a carrot and a few stalks of celery.  She was munching on them cheerfully and peering into the hall of sick peeps.

Sinners all... if only they had fasted instead of partaken of that meal, like she did, this could have been avoided.  Oh well, it was Blake's will.

Regina takes a bite of her celery stalk, ignorant of just how loud it crunched, and went about her merry way.  She was eager to see what exactly this new miracle material they were using that was suppose to make her mech lighter and faster.
Lina Todd
 R0 - Mechwarrior, 4 posts
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 01:41
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Lina frowned before looking to Pax, "Looks like me sitting it out and just watching isn't an option.  We'll need to move before they are good to go and you'll need every mech you can to help open the way, so it looks like I'll be taking a move active roll on this one..."

As much as there was worry written across her face, the chance to put her Ironman through real paces like her sister had put hers through was a boon.  At least she wouldn't be able to brag about being the only one in the family to see actual real combat.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 139 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 07:41
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
He hoped they had time to wait for the Captain to recover but he had a feeling that they couldn't wait that long.

Though he never personally held command of more than a lance, and that was recent and he thought temporarily,  his family has been leaders for generations with rank.  He has heard enough war stories and been trained but hoped he wouldn't be forced into it.

So he asked the question he feared he knew the answer to.
"How soon till we need to start moving out for the mission?"
Lina Todd
 R0 - Mechwarrior, 5 posts
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 13:52
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
"36 hours." she responded without any extra fanfare or further details.

Then a thought came to her, a passage from one of her old text books, "It's actually not a bad thing.  If we set up their mechs to look like they are part of the normal defense of the town while the other units leave by different routes that look like patrols and the like we'll also be able to conceal our approach to the spaceport."
Kitten
 GM, 496 posts
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 14:12
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
(I can live with this.  If Zenha and Thomas both return there attention to the game, i can set up a mini scenario to defend Miller's creek)
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 161 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 14:14
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Henriette rose, carrying her remaining beer with her into the Bay, to join the conversation.
She had dug into the meat aplenty on that day, but hey, she'd been told on several occasions that she had not a stomach, but an iron cast furnace which gobbled up anything she ate, this could probably be attributed to her stomach being used to that from when she was a kid, her mother was never rich, not until her last year of living at least.

when she reached the gorup idling about she took another swig of the beer.
"Seems like a baseline plan of approach to work from... I'm Henriette, Shield Maiden.
The mirage  over there is my little baby"

she indicated the pristinely kept war machine, and it's hedgehog nature of medium lasars.

"Nice Tech you brought in with you, can't wait to see how it holds up in combat"
and she took another swig.
David Crain
 player, 98 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 20:52
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
David wanders in from wherever he had been, having significantly calmed down from his previous anger.  He is surprised to see all the new faces around and quickly gets caught up on what's been happening.  From new people to a bout of food poisoning, it seems there's rarely a dull moment around here and now he's glad he skipped supper.

The thought of action was encouraging, to say the least, and the fact that it would be soon made it all the better.  As he walked over to introduce himself to the liaison officers he noted the mechs they were piloting as they were designs he had never seen before.

Before too much time has passed, he will wander over to find Pax, "Do I still have time to get some extra practice in before we move out?"
Pax Tarkin
 player, 140 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 23:40
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Well best to get this underway.

Pax activated his communicator to all hands. "XO to Rat Pack.  Mission briefing in three hours. "

Flipping off his comm he turn to Lina.  "You'd better give me the details so we can prepare a briefing."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:58, Mon 30 Sept 2013.

David Crain
 player, 99 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Mon 30 Sep 2013
at 01:59
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
David heard his radio crackle to life and issue the above order before replying, "Avenger copies.", before thinking to himself, "Well, that settles that, at least for the moment."
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 162 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Mon 30 Sep 2013
at 04:32
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Henriette poked the button on her comms.
"Roger that, boss."

She didn't look forward to be the acting XO of this motley bunch, in fact she didn't look forward to being XO at all, but life never stopped to ask what you wanted, shit just happened.


maybe she'd be lucky, and someone else would be picked for the duty, even despite pax' familiarity with ehr as Xo from the previous mission.

She swung by the kitchen, and picked up a box of pastries, with rationing in effect, the repair crew would appreciate them even more, sure some would state she was abusing privilege, but happy grease monkeys worked far harder, and far more willingly than grouchy hungry ones.
Then she headed over to the Mech bay, and located the mechanic foreman.
She put a pot of coffee and the box with pastries on a nearby flat surface.
"Hey, How are they coming along?
They need to be ready to move out in 24 hours"

She gave him a small smile and looked around at the mechanic crew working, but paying attention to their conversation.
"It would be a shame if these were gone, when I return to pick them up for the officers, you know"
She added a wink, then shrugged.
Lina Todd
 R0 - Mechwarrior, 6 posts
Mon 30 Sep 2013
at 15:10
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
"Let's find somewhere to talk privately and I'll give you the rest of the operational details..." replied Lina as she looked around at all the various people both connected to the mercenary unit as well as the civilians at Miller's Creek.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 192 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Mon 30 Sep 2013
at 15:13
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Lucius heard the call for the mission briefing and set his chrono to wake him in two hours and fourty five minutes.  Clicking the comm on and then off to signal that he got it he didn't bother saying anything.  Laying his head back in his cot he covered his face with the magazine he'd been 'reading' when he got back to relieve the iritation at Pax.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 141 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Mon 30 Sep 2013
at 15:16
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Pax nodded his agreement,  "Lets go to my quarters and take a look and get the ball rolling."

He was glad they would not have to defend again but attacking a fortified site would be rough.  He hoped military intelligence was more right than wrong ... for once.
Kitten
 GM, 506 posts
Thu 3 Oct 2013
at 19:57
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.

She made her way to a clear field where a trusted pilot would ferry her to Miller's Creek for the final briefing on the offensive.  The 101st elements were positioned and knew there parts.  That was the easy part.

Informed of the situtaion at Miller's Creek, Mechwarrior Todd alerts Commander Snow to the complications.  They were having alot more contact with the locals than was really recommend by Pandora, still what needed to be done, would be done.

While she was a novice on the ways of wars, she understood that an army needed to eat.  Starve it out and it would have to move on or surrender.

The Aurora and Morning Star would make certain that Planetary Aero assets were kept honest.  The Assault group would clear static targets, while the Air wing would engage patrols to draw attention away from the spaceport.

The Miller's Creek Militia would provide the man power needed to take the dropship, using the local assets to do so.

It was a simple plan.  Simple was good, simple kept left less things to go wrong.  A hour later she finds herself standing in a filthy room with poor lighting presenting the what was expected of them.  They were a scruffy looking lot, and she hoped that they fought better than they smelled or it was going to be a short offensive.

(*Commander Tamara Snow has just conveyed the basis of the information you will need for Mission Three.  Over the next day, reinforcements are expected to filter in from the field, and on the morning, the operation was expected to begin.  Diversionary raids were expected to start pre dawn, to drawn liquid assets away from the spaceport.  An hour after this the Miller's Creek Militia was to make a move on the space port.  Supplies that the occupational force need are the target, if the dropship could be taken, it might break the backs of the invaders.*)

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:57, Thu 03 Oct 2013.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 148 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Sun 6 Oct 2013
at 03:14
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Pax had gone over the mission details with Tina and came up with a rough mission plan.  This would do for for starters.  He just hoped the intel was solid.  If they didn't account for most of the enemy forces it could get bad fast.

"Well ... I think we are about ready for some 'show and tell'

Ready for a mission briefing?"

Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 168 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Sun 6 Oct 2013
at 03:51
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
15 minuttes before it started Henriette walked into the briefing room, she had dined, showered and put on fresh clothes, the difference was like night and day.

she looked around the room before picking herself a seat off ot one of the sides, and not too close to wherever pax would be breafing them.
Luck might allow her to duck any of the sour responsibility this time.
Kitten
 GM, 567 posts
Sun 6 Oct 2013
at 04:13
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
(Mission was 'started' on message 87, actually going to start the mission in a day or two now that Carmine is done.)
Echo Snow
 Alt, 1 post
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 01:04
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Echo's arrival to Miller's Creek came with some modest fanfare.  While her mech was one of the lightest ever mass produced, it was a classic that had survived the test of time and was still in popular production.  That had to mean something.

Evidently so, since it towered among the lot of assembled vehicles that had gathered for the offensive.  It was with some effort that Echo resisted the effort to peek under the hoods under the vehicles in the lot to see what sort of shape they were in.

It was all rather exciting.  To just wander in and sign in with the rest for the offensive.

Commander Snow was going about her briefing and Echo could resist putting her hand up to ask a question.

"What will the command structure be for tomorrow's operations?", she asks, sounding a touch too cheerful for many in the room.
Kitten
 GM, 573 posts
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 01:12
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.

Tamara resisted the urge to Scowl, taking a deep breath and letting it out before continuing.

"The local militia will be under the command of Lt. Mendoza.  The Mercenaries commander has come down with food poisoning.  Her executive officer, Lt. Tarkin will be in command.  Intel from the field will be conveyed to Mechwarrior Lina.  Consider yourself, and Mechwarrior Lina under the Lt. Tarkin's care.

Each pilot will be assigned a Light APC to safeguard until they can unload their infantry to assault 'La Trinite'.  Once all the infantry has been released for operations, you will need to focus on repelling any efforts to counterattack.
"
Echo Snow
 Alt, 2 posts
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 01:13
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
"M'am yes m'am.", Echo bobs up and down on her toes barely capable of containing her excitement.  She couldnt understand why the mood was so subdued on the eve of such an exciting operation.
Regina Arlington
 player, 36 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 01:18
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
'It was the night before Ops...
and all the creatures were stirring...
especially the faithful... like me!
', Regina was attending to her pre-operation preparation and was personally loading each missile into the bay of her Valkyrie.  Whispered words of prayer blessed the lethal munition as she stencil painted the Com Star Emblem on the head of each warhead.

She was humming little holiday lullabies as she went about her business.
Echo Snow
 Alt, 3 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 02:04
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
'Why wasnt anyone saying anything?
 Did they all know the plan inside and out already?
 What was the plan?
 Goddess... am i late?
, Echo's hand went up again as she had another question.


"M'am.
 I understand the objective.  What are the details to the plan?
"
Roger Simms
 player, 4 posts
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 02:07
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
 This was his first time in the "Briefing room" and to see all those who would be his team mates and would live and die tomorrow. His time under the guns were enough to keep him from running away but the fear was still there, just under the skin and behind the quick flick of eyes that dont want to meet another friends eyes, knowing that the possibility was there to go up like a roman candle. Still he would do his job to the best of his skills.

 He found a chair and looked over the his Commander and the XO.
Kitten
 GM, 575 posts
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 02:08
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.

Echo was starting to get on Tamara's nerves, but that was to be expected.

"Lt. Mendoza and Tarkin are able officers and will be the field commandera.
 No plan survives impact with the enemy.
 As such i will leave it to them to conduct the details of the operations.
"

Tamara eyes the room and there seemed to be no other queries.  It was time to go before 'Mechwarrior' Echo assailed her with another useless question.  As she departed she gave Lina an exasperated look and an nod of acknowledgement.


OOC for Roger.
Carmine is the closest thing to a Militia Commander at the moment.  She came in from the field alone so she doesnt have an XO.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:10, Mon 07 Oct 2013.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 149 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 03:59
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
With the briefing coming to a close Pax wanted to make sure that his unit was ready to move out on time.  Raising his hand to indicate the briefing was not yet over for his guys.

"Rat Pack.  I want load outs and unit status filed 4 hours before we leave.  Chief, if you have a problem solve it.  If you can't I want to know ASAP.

Pilots, help with mech prep as much as you can but I want you in your rack and rested for the mission.  Get a good look at the route and the map of the area."


He knew the next part would cause some problems, "Rat Pack is on E-Rations till after the op.  Can't risks anyone else getting ill before the mission.  NO EXCEPTIONS. "

This message was last edited by the player at 05:29, Mon 07 Oct 2013.

Carmine Cameron-Mendoza
 player, 44 posts
 R2 - 1st Lt
 Callsign - 'Blue'
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 04:40
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Lieutenant Carmine Cameron-Mendoza sat on one of the collapsible metal chairs around the table in the makeshift briefing room the locals had put together on the fly, she was a tall mahogany skinned young women who looked young despite the haunted look in her eyes. At the moment she was fingering a prefab metal cup in her hand taking sips of the rapidly cooling coffee inside it, grimacing every once in a while at the almost liquefied asphalt taste of it but she kept drinking it despite the taste desperately needing the caffeine. Their been little time for sleep over the last days and weeks, after the Brave Companions had gone head to head with those fed rat bastards in Team Banzai and been gutted, the knowledge that they'd hurt the opposing mercenaries bad and won the time for the towns remaining population to escape was cold comfort. The mahogany skinned nobleborn felt the cold ache inside her chest at the memories of her missing comrades, her childhood friends from back on Andrasta and fellow members of a chivalry club that had become so much more to them than that. Now she'd buried most of them and what were left were bundled in with the remnants of the militia, the same militia she had been chosen to lead once more into the breach, to fight and to die once again.

The dark skinned young woman took another long sip of her coffee and forced those thoughts from her head focusing on her job, if she didn't do it right then a lot more of her people where going to die then had to and she couldn't allow that. She was relatively clean and well clothed by the standards of everyone in the room thanks to heroic efforts by herself to maintain her uniform and personal hygiene, she wore one of the blue-grey uniforms of the companions mostly patched and repaired but mostly clean and whole with black leather riding boots that had seen better days. Her blue-grey beret still bore the patch of the the Brave Companions, a knight on horseback with a shield bearing a cross and a lance high and at the ready with a banner flowing from it with the unit name carefully written and under it in latin the unit motto, Clangent tubis triumphali. Although now she wore on her beret and collar tabs the unit insignia and rank markings of the Detroit militia, which despite looking a little odd she managed to pull of easily making it look a little heroic.

She nodded and raised her hands to wave Rogers over, then as she head Commander Snows argument she gave her a long flat look then turned her her opposite number leading the Rat Pack. Her hands already moving to spread out the maps and drawings that had been made of the field, then she spoke her voice the clipped aristocratic accent of a noble mixed with the polyglot accent of a Free Worlds League citizen. "Alright, we'll come up with something at least the operation won't be micromanaged to death. What are we likely to be facing in the way of resistant at the landing field? Mobile forces and fixed defenses?"

OOC: Clangent tubis triumphali = Sound the Trumpets of Triumph.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:05, Mon 07 Oct 2013.

Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 171 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 05:05
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Henriette eyed the local bubble of happiness, and shook her head, before looking at the enarest warrior, who jsut happened to be The Mahogany noble
"Bubbles over there seems awfully cheerfull, considering the amount of death around here"
Time for some hazing, she couldn't stand positive types like that, how could they remain so... cheerfull when there were people laying dead everywhere wihin miles, and freaking barbarians ignoring the ares convention were the ones to murder them.

the girl seriously needed to be taken down a notch or two.

then Tarkin blew the news... no proper food tilla fter the mission, Henriette forgot everything about bubbly cheerleaders who had no right being in a mech, or anything else for that matter, and glared at their boss.

Henriettes limit had always been her food and booze, she'd function fine every mission, but what she ate or drank, was her business and hers alone, fortunately she had a really good scotch stowed away in her footlocker, that'd take the brunt of the damned rations.

but hey, Bubbles got lucky, cause Henriette completely forgot about the girl.
Kitten
 GM, 578 posts
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 05:13
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.

Tamara pauses on her way out, checking her stride to address Carmine.

"There is a company of mechs, a company of mechanized conventional, and an undetermined amount of soft (infantry) support at the Space port.  Detroit never bothered to put up a much in the line of fortifications, so we wont have to worry about that.  If the 101st does it's job correctly, the nimble elements will be deployed to deal with the diversionary raid.  You can expect slower units to be on duty when you arrive."

Carmine has no idea who this 101st Combat group are, but they've managed to quietly help the Detroit militia stay together long enough for this merc unit to show up to shore up the militia.  One or two friendlies had yet to check in from the field but if they didnt show by dusk, they werent going to make the party.

The 101st didnt look of feel like a Free World League unit, that much she knew.  They couldnt be Davion affiliated, or they wouldnt be opposing Team Banzai.  If the Capellans had a unit like the 101st, they wouldnt be wasting them on Detroit.  So exactly who the 101st were, was a mystery to Mendoza

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:15, Mon 07 Oct 2013.

Echo Snow
 Alt, 5 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 05:35
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Pax Tarkin:
With the briefing coming to a close Pax wanted to make sure that his unit was ready to move out on time.  Raising his hand to indicate the briefing was not yet over for his guys.

"Rat Pack.  I want load outs and unit status filed 4 hours before we leave.  Chief, if you have a problem solve it.  If you can't I want to know ASAP.

Pilots, help with mech prep as much as you can but I want you in your rank and rested for the mission.  Get a good look at the route and the map of the area."


He knew the next part would cause some problems, "Rat Pack is on E-Rations till after the op.  Can't risks anyone else getting ill before the mission.  NO EXCEPTIONS. "


Echo looked about lost for the moment wondering where exactly she was suppose to be.  She took a step towards Tamara and Lina when Lt. Tarkin called for a meeting of some sort.  With an energetic spring to her step she goes over to see what was happening at the small group of pilots.  There werent alot of them.  Less than a full strength platoon.

"I Pilot a Locust sir.  A LCT-3V.  Based off the standard LCT-1V introduced by Bergan Industries, circa 2499.  Speedy reconnaissance mech powered but the 160 rated LTV Fusion Engine, top speed of 129.6kph.  I've tried to keep her up to date.  The Sperry Browning Machine Guns, while reliable and superb for anti personnel work were lacking for heavier combat.  The light rounds, quickly loose effectiveness over a very short distance and are incapable of penetrating mech armor beyond 90 meters...", Echo spews technical Jargon at Pax with more energy and enthusism than anyone in Miller's Creek should have.  After a whlie it just becomes a technical wall of worthless background nose.

Lina,should be in ear shot of the enthusiastic Echo rambling along, and should probably come and rescue Pax.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:51, Mon 07 Oct 2013.

David Crain
 player, 103 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 06:24
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
David listened with interest to the briefing and nods appreciatively on hearing the objectives.  He wanted another crack at those bandits, and he was going to get it.  The news about the rations didn't sit well with him at all but that was a small price to pay, he figured, to avoid any unpleasantries mid-battle.  He was also glad, given the time frame, that his Jenner needed very little work to be combat operational.

He does arch an eyebrow at his more enthusiastic teammates.  How they manage to remain so cheerful mildly irritated him but he figures it's how some people deal with stress.  Still, you rarely get to choose your co-workers.  Snow's techo-babble in Pax's ear did bring a smile to his face, however.  It was one more reason he was glad he wasn't an officer.

He looks around and his fellow mechwarriors, "Well, it looks like we have our work cut out for us.  We'd best get started.".
Carmine Cameron-Mendoza
 player, 49 posts
 R2 - 1st Lt
 Callsign - 'Blue'
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 09:15
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Lieutenant Mendoza turned her eyes on the blonde mechwarrior from the rat pack and gave her flat look as she spoke slowly and carefully, she didn't know how much authority she had over the boys and girls of the Rat Pack but still this couldn't be allowed to go by. She spoke clearly as if to a small child making her polyglot accent a little more noticeable, "Grow up and stop acting like a child Mechwarrior because your certainly acting like one, we have a enough things out there trying to kill us and the people around us without adding petty inter unit squabbling to it all." She slowly carefully corrected the map in front of her as if calming herself, "Shes not a veteran yet, she hasn't seen the blood and the bodies which is a state of affairs that won't last anywhere as long as it should. She could be dead at the end of this raid, or me, or you, or even all of us and knowing that your first reaction is to want to pick on the rookie." She turned her gaze on Henriette again, "Let me make this clear,  don't care how you Rat Pack pilots do things in your units, the lives of my people depend on you being fighting affective, so if I hear about you picking on her or any other rookie in your outfit I will personally make it my business to bounce you off your mechs armour until it dents, understood."

Camarine turned back to the briefing officer and nodded slowly, "Sounds like close to an equal fight but we can't afford the losses of an open field slugging match with the Fed Rats. If the 101st can lure the mechanized company and one or two lances of their mechs away from the port, we can overwhelm and slaughter they infantry and remaining lances. Then if things really go well we might be able to catch them in a pincer and destroy their mobile reaction team, if we get really luck. But this operation is doable. What can you tell me about the 101st, are they merc? Also do we have any clue about the quality of the troops we'll be facing?"
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 175 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 09:36
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Henriette sneered, this piece of shit dared to speak to her like that?
"You're welcome to try, lets see who ends up bouncing anywhere, missy."
She thumbed in the direction of the cheerleader.
"Attitudes like hers get people killed, too bright and sunny to realize until it's too late, just what kind of pounding they're in for..."
She sighed, and looked away, and down, her voice lowered now.
"...and just how many friends they'll get killed"
better to take her down a notch, so she won't make those mistakes

"alright, I'll leave her alone.
But if she gets anyone killed I'm going to kick her cute little ass spacebound"

Harry Ritter
 player, 21 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Jayne'
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 16:57
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
It took forever for Hank to get old Vera stowed, but finally managed to climb down out of the comfortable and duct taped (damn straight duck tape still exists) seat before he started to light a worn cigar.  A sound drew his attention and one of the techs who pointed to a canister of potent flamer fuel, and he simply smiled as he walked away.  Eventually he flagged down another tech and got directions for the briefing room.  When he was out of sight he blazed up the nubbed cigar, but it only managed to stay lit for a few minutes and was extinguished before he made it to the briefing room.

He faintly still smelled of smoke, and absently chewed the worn nub, as he walked in and looked the group over.  He had opened the jumpsuit so that his white tee was all he had wearing, the thick pilots belt kept the suit from falling down past his waist.  He waited for the two woman to come to whatever agreement they had and determined that he should probably introduce himself.  “Mechwarrior Hank.”  He gave a lopsided and sloppy salute of a merc and took the cigar out.  “Heard there was a call for pilots to help out, so, uh here I am.  You guys are still paying, right?”
Roger Simms
 player, 6 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 17:37
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
 The loud whispering or maybe just low talking from to of the Merc units mech pilots seemed like a bad omen to him, but what the hell, their luck had gone from just plain bad to down right ugly.

 The few mechs he had seen doing patrols around the area were all light stuff, like his. Still, put enough of the light stuff out there and they could take down something big but the cost would be high.

 He just leaned back and listened to the chatter and hoped he survived long enough to catch a ride off this rock with their drop ship.
Echo Snow
 Alt, 7 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 17:59
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Echo was still in the midst of explaining the modifications that had been made to her mech when she noticed Carmine and Henriette getting louder, "So.  With these new advances you can see how the weight mass ratio is related, and how it would be benificial to upgrade...", Echo looks away from Pax to look at the two pilots having a spirited conversation.
Regina Arlington
 player, 37 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 18:02
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Valkyrie loaded and combat ready, there really wasnt anything more for Regina to do, but catch a really good nap.  Good bed rest could be the difference between getting and not getting Blake's blessings.

"May the light of Blake shrine serenely down upon me while i sleep so that i might wake well and refreshed to do his bidding.", Stiffling a yawn Regina goes to bed, the first it seemed from all the tell tale empty cots.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 150 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 18:07
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Tarkin raised his hand to stop the young Mechwarrior, "I am aware of the Locust design.  Be sure to check in with the crew chief so that he can update his records for your mech."

And he then left the briefing room.  He had a lot to double check on and needed to be out and about.

Mech, people, and a battle plan he hoped would work.  He sure hoped the Boss would be back soon.
Carmine Cameron-Mendoza
 player, 52 posts
 R2 - 1st Lt
 Callsign - 'Blue'
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 21:08
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
The mahogany skinned mercenary officer looked over to the blonde mechwarrior and smiled her teeth shockingly white compared to the dark skin of her face, "Sounds like fun times to me." Then she spoke again in that cool crisp command voice with her polygot accent, "Maybe your right maybe your wrong but I won't have the mechwarriors at my back at each others throats before of childish personality conflicts, we've got enough enemies out there trying to send us to a early grave, we won't be helping them along with that." She nodded to the bubbly mechwarrior, "She's survived this long she might surprise you and if she doesn't then she'll live or die like the rest of us, thats all we can ask. Now.... this is the end of this conversation Mechwarrior, sit down and lets get to work."

Carmine looked up from the charts and carefully eyed the maled mechwarrior before her, nose twitched a little in instinctive disgust at the tobacco the cigarette was made of which bore little resemblance to plant smoked on her agrarian homeworld, to many chemical additives. But long experience as a noble's daughter keep any internal thoughts from her face as she nodded to him, "Lieutenant Mendoza, formerly of the Brave Companions, I think I'm the closest thing to a field commander this group has right now. Yes the Detroiters are still paying us, what unit did you fight with before you ended up here?"
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 7 posts
 Freelance mechwarrior
 Callsign Berserker
Mon 7 Oct 2013
at 22:32
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Olaf arrived early for the briefing having spent much of the day just as he had the previous, supervising the work of a pair of technicians on his aged and battle-worn Whitworth.  It had been a frustrating process.  Not that the techs weren’t good at the work they did it was the damned mech itself.  The salvaged Draconian war machine hadn’t responded well during the early fighting on Detroit and he couldn‘t shake the feeling that something was wrong.  Yet, the techs kept telling him there were nothing malfunctioning and everything was running to spec.  He’d grudgingly left them to finish the load-out so he could get the mission brief.

Scanning the briefing theatre, he found an empty spot close to Lucius and occupied the chair with a silent nod to the MechWarrior known as Burner.  The two men didn’t know each other very well, but it had become clear over the last few days that both had been contracted with the local militia shortly after the invasion.  Although Olaf had left Lucius to his own devices following the heated exchange with Pax in the mechbay and he didn’t have the full story of the merc unit’s earlier failure but wasn’t surprised that temperatures were still running hot.  The small garrison at Miller’s Creek was rife with tension; primarily between those who had wandered in from the field and those who had jumped in on the original Rat Pack contract.

The big Raslahauger had stayed out of the petty conflicts thus far but he wore a grim countenance at the heated exchange between Carmine and Henriette.  There was fire enough in both of them he just hoped they had the same spirit on the battlefield.  He’d seen enough of the bluster and posturing and despite his misgivings about piloting the Whitworth he itched for the fight to come.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:33, Mon 07 Oct 2013.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 151 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Tue 8 Oct 2013
at 00:44
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Pax left the 'briefing room' and headed back to his quarters to continuing to study the map, route, and mission objectives.  Just like he suggested his unit to do.   'His unit'.  What a joke.   While he had some training he was far from a officer that could lead a unit.  He didn't have the experience.   He poured himself a triple and sipped at it while studying the mission.

They were a light lance but he hoped they could use wolf tactics properly to overwhelm any larger mechs that might be in opposition.  The most heat efficient energy weapon known, the medium laser, was in large supply in their unit.  That was a lot of damage potential ... if they can get close enough to use it.  Oh .... and hit the broad side of a barn.

At the bottom of the glass he didn't find any answers.  Perhaps the next one will.  He poured another and put the bottle away.  Getting hammered definitely was not a solution.  So he sat sipping his drink and running over various scenarios that might crop up during the op.  He would study for several hours checking in on the status of the mechs with the Chief.
Harry Ritter
 player, 29 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Jayne'
Tue 8 Oct 2013
at 00:52
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
Hank shrugged and walked up to the maps.  He read them over with mostly an untrained eye and pointed at several locations.  "Where do these men need to be deployed?  The pad I assume?"
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 8 posts
 Freelance mechwarrior
 Callsign Berserker
Tue 8 Oct 2013
at 13:12
Re: Post Mission Two Roleplaying.
He made his way into the mechbay early, well before any of the others were stirring.  He had never slept well the night before battle and the prospect of fighting alongside mechwarriors he did not know or trust was not helping him get any rest.

“Yokoso, samurai.” the computer’s female voice asked in soft Japanese.  “You are required to provide your verification code.”

Although Olaf understood perfectly, he had chosen a verification code spoken in the tongue of his own people.  Although he was still learning to master the Norsk language he had been forbidden to speak as a child, he had nearly lost his Japanese accent.  Speaking clearly into the comm system the words from the Graenlendigna Saga spilled from his lips: “Many have been brought to death by overconfidence.”  He found the words a calming reminder that in the face of battle it was a certainty that many would die but that he could just as easily fall victim to his own overconfidence as he could to the well placed shot of an enemy laser.

“Domo arigato.” the computer replied softly and the mech cockpit came to life.

Before pulling the heavy neurohelmet down from it’s rack above the command couch onto his padded shoulders, the MechWarrior silently preformed one last personal ritual.  He took a moment of solemn contemplation looking at the white Kenji stencilled on the black cloth band on his lap.  Those characters he had learned to read as a small child, then learned as an adult to resent the oppression they had brought his people.  He knew it was silly and superstitious, but he had never piloted a mech into battle without it.  Without another moment’s thought he gritted his teeth and tied his DCMS hackimaki firmly around his head.
Kitten
 GM, 842 posts
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 02:34
Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Zoe was late to the party, but not so far behind that she caught the glimpse of the Hatchetman and Whitworth withdrawing under the pressure Regina and Henriette were providing.

Back at the dropship, the last three squads of militia roll onto the dropship to help quell the defense offered by the spaceport security forces.  It will be a bit before they resolve the corridor to corridor fighting, but with out further support from the spaceport, the dropship was all but captured.

Many of the militia's mechs were in need of serious repairs, but there wasnt time for it.  All they had was Zoe, in her Fire Starter as a late addition to support them.

Fortunately, it seemed like most of the fight had gone out of the Op Force.

Lina gets a tight beam priority message from Commander Snow.  Lina quickly reports gives a summary of the report of the situation.

"Stay alert Lina.  The Aurora and Morningstar have both been tracking a pair of Unions making planetfall.  Heavy fighter escorts made them too big for them to handle and they're being let through.  Transponders are identifying them as Federated Suns dropship leased to Team Banzai.", theres a short pause.

"Figure out who needs to stay and who needs to go before they show up.  I obviously dont expect you to stand against two companies of mechs, but it would be nice if we can delay them long enough to take La Trinite to boost off."
Lina Todd
 Alt, 58 posts
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 03:55
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
"Understood Commander." replied Lina as she started to sweat a little...not so much from the fight as she barely even scratched the edge of her X3's heat capacity and her issued mechwarrior 'suit' was quite far from from full body...but because her X3 miraculously was undamaged so far.  It meant she would be focal in slowing down any assets that came thier way.

Switching comms to the militia units and Rat Pack she filled them in, "We've got two Union dropships burning in as we speak, but we still need some time to capture and burn off with the La Trinite.  Talk to your unit lead...if your mech can handle some more we're going to run cover, if not get out of dodge and take what salvage you can muster."
Regina Arlington
 player, 88 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 05:25
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Regina thinks about it for about half a second.

"Right.

 That sounds like me.

 Light of Blake Bless you, I think i'm withdrawing to Miller's Creek, i'm way over 50% armor damage.

 I'll pick up Lucius and escort what's left of the APCs to Miller's Creek then.
"
Harry Ritter
 NPC, 80 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Jayne'
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 05:26
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
"I'll run EW for the retreating units.", Harry comments.

It made sense to send at least one mech that could fight, and Harry could double as a shield for the injured units that were withdrawing it made a certain amount of sense.

"Carmine.  You coming too?"
Echo Snow
 Alt, 54 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 05:29
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Echo reviews her mech.

"I... still have over 50% armor and ammo, but i have a breech in my left torso.

 Do we have anytime at all to effect repairs?
"
Kitten
 GM, 843 posts
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 05:32
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Players may make a Technician roll, they may scavenger armor off the field and repair 1 af for succeeding and each point above the tn for success.

repair rolls = mental base + 2 penalty.  {-1 bonus for each level of x-technician}

Anyone with a mech that's not damage is on sentry duty and wont be able to help with repairs.
David Crain
 player, 162 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 06:43
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Before he replies, David scans his readouts to confirm his status and all readings are exactly where they should be.  He toggles his comm unit to reply, "Avenger copies.  Looks like I'm running interference for the wounded while they run back to base."
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 264 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 09:54
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
it took a few minutes for henriette to realize that most of the warning lamps going off were heat based, rather than actual damage to her Mirage.

after taking a few minutes to compose herself, and let the battle haze lift, she punched the comms.

"Regina it seems you took most of the brunt of their attacks, I've only had my left Torso compartment shot up, but other than that i'll be good for a while longer.

I'll see if I can't strip some armor off off the fallen, to patch the hole"



Repairs, TN: 6+2 = 8+ roll 8
1 point of AF to LT.
not that 1 point does much good!


10:52, Today: Henriette Karlsdottir rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,5. TN 8+, Armor patching.
Echo Snow
 Alt, 55 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 12:39
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Echo might not have been much of a shot, but now she was entering a task she was actually good at.  Parking her Locust beside one of the immobile APCs she goes about the task of efficiently stripping armor off the vehicle to use on her Locust.

She cuts off great big patches of metal and spot welds it to cover the gaping hole in the left torso.  Quick spot welds strategically secure the armor in place for minimal time consumed.

She's tempted to spend all her time there but to her practiced eye the left arm was looking sorta weak too.  It was going to need a little more reinforcement.  When she was done, the two most vulnerable points on the mech would be able to take a bit of damage with out instantly caving to crippling damage.  When the call to mount up to deal with the dropships making planetfall went out she was as ready as she was going to manage on such short notice.

07:33, Today: Echo Snow rolled 10 using 2d6 with rolls of 4,6. repair roll tn 7+. (+4 af)
Kitten
 GM, 845 posts
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 12:41
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Players that are no engaged in repairs, may make a 'scouting' roll to stay alert to trouble.

Target base skill is Mental, with a +2 penalty applied.

A Bonus would be allowed for a Beagle Probe, which the unit does not possess.


Lucius, can actual board his mech and pilot it off the board, it was not a mandatory disengagement.

The rifleman is not an option to remove, the mechs security lockout will take more than a little time to break

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:45, Fri 08 Nov 2013.

Roger Simms
 player, 36 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 13:05
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
 Seeing the enemy mechs bailing to avoid any more damage he breaths a sigh of relief that none of his force was in danger or killed, still the reports of two drop ships with reinforcements did not make him smile.

 "Viking here, Will begin a southern sweep" Moving out he heads off to the south to make sure there were no surprise's coming from that direction.

07:01, Today: Roger Simms rolled 9+2=11 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,6. Scouting area
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 270 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 13:55
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Once Lucius had noticed that they were fleeing the field made his way from the trees he was hiding in back to his Javelin.  He shook his head to clear up the triple images he was getting from time to time and sighed over all the damage she had taken...at his own hand.  Climbing back in to her, and without the press of battle taking a toll on his abilities, he eases her back up into an upright position.

Flicking his comms on to the friendlies he added, "Lucius here, no need to pick me up Regina I can do the walk of shame back home...but if we can't take that Rifleman I say we deny her to those bastards.  Blow her head off, rip off her arms and legs and frag the weapons systems."

There was a slight pause before he added, "Or if someone is good with explosives rig that autocannon ammo to blow and we can give them the finger when they are this close to recovering her just like the hatchetman did"

This message was last edited by the player at 14:12, Fri 08 Nov 2013.

Kitten
 GM, 845 posts
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 14:14
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Non lethal damage fades between the battles.

Mechwarriors that took damage can make a Medical check on themselves to provide first aid to suspend the lethal damage they took till proper aid can be found.

tn number  = Base Mental roll + 2 penalty + Mechwarrior damage penalty.

This message was last updated by the GM at 14:14, Fri 08 Nov 2013.

Lina Todd
 Alt, 59 posts
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 14:45
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Lina moved her X3 and for the first time wished that she had an active probe and put the thought of pairing both a probe and electronic warfare suite as options instead of the paired lasers for the future.  Lucius had an interesting point in regards to the Rifleman but she wasn't running the show, just helping out.  If they wanted to remove the mech that was up to them.  In the meantime she moved into the edge of the city and paced back and forth so she could see down the various streets in the hopes of identifying enemy units early enough to give warning to those that were staying behind to slow down their advance.



---
09:44, Today: Lina Todd rolled 4 using 2d6 with rolls of 2,2. Scouting. So horrible of a failure. *shakes head*
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 271 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 14:49
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Pulling out a flask of vodka he kept around for medicinal purposes he also grabbed the gauze and tape as he waited for them to make a decision on the Rifleman.  Pouring it onto his cuts to clean them he swore up a veritable storm that even individuals not far from his mech would likely be able to hear as he hadn't shut his hatch yet.  Adding a coagulant from the medkit he placed on the gauze and tape to hold it in place.  The medics were going to have a good laugh when they finally got to him...but at least the wounds would be cleaned from the alcohol...



---
09:45, Today: Lucius McMurphy rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 6,2. Tend to his boo-boo.
Nope.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 207 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 17:07
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Having made it through the battle Road Runner was fine.  Nothing a lot of target practice couldn't cure.

On hearing that more mechs might be inbound before they could finish taking the dropship Pax had to wonder if they would ever get a break.

He passed on the orders for those that needed to scavenge some repairs and that the seriously damaged mechs would evacuate while those in good shape would provide security, and try to intercept the probable counterattack.

09:03, Today: Pax Tarkin rolled 6 using 2d6 with rolls of 4,2. Scouting Mental 7 +2 = TN9

He used the light mech code, "Speed is life folks ... keep up the pace."
Big Jake
 Alt, 14 posts
 Roll G5/P5/M8 (Init 4)
 +2 Ballistic = 3 base
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 17:19
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Jake parks his gun in the middle of the open area close to the ship so he can support any direction that an attack can come from.  He was too slow to keep up with any delaying tactic a so he will help guard the retreating units.
David Crain
 player, 163 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 19:36
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
David almost manages to keep pace with Pax's Mongoose.  When scouting it was helpful to operate on a buddy system, someone to help you out if you ran into trouble.  He scouted the perimeter with sensor set to max range, looking for any contacts on the radar.  "A shame", he thought, "that Rifleman would have been useful against those fighters."
Kitten
 GM, 849 posts
Fri 8 Nov 2013
at 20:08
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Several units were considered too badly damaged, or the pilots were too badly injured to be considered viable participants to whatever was happening next.

Regina withdraws, her mech too badly damaged to really participate for much longer was in serious need of repair.

Carmine, had given a good showing but her injuries were bad enough that it was presumed best for her to withdraw with Regina.

Most of the surviving APCs decide that the upcoming battle was really more than they signed on for.  The infantry would withdraw on the dropship or would be beyond help, so their job was done and was clearing out at this time.

Harry would be departing with them, to provide defensive support in case trouble came, and to make certain there was at least one combat ready unit among those with drawing.




Other pilots settle down and go about the business of patching their mechs as best they can before the next engagement.  Will also accept a roll from david if he has one when i come back.

Echo, shows that she's rather handy with a welder and manages to patch the worst of the damage on locust to her satisfaction.  (+4 af)

Henriette makes an effort to patch the exposed armor but lacks Echo's obvious training and barely makes a dent in the repairs she wanted to make before she's told to saddle up.  (+1 af)

Lucius makes an efor to attend his injuries.  The hard drink does ease the pain but also reduces his reflexes and make him woozy.  He starts to mount up his javelin and gets it slowly to an upright position.  The question now, was he staying or withdrawing was now presented.  (Stay or go?)




Elsewhere, those not damaged by the skirmish make an effort to scout the lay of the land.  In the distance they can see the Banzai Union boosting off with the damaged whitworth and hatchetman aboard, and who knows what else.  It was gone, and there wasnt anything to be done about it.

Lina makes an effort to scout the area, but the maze of hangers is a source of concern to her.  The cavernous bays could hold anything and she procedes with more caution than is called for at this point.  She lags behind and finds nothing more than empty hangers.  (tn 8+ / rolled a 4)

Pax by comparison rips up and down the lanes between the hangers as fast as his feet can take him, pausing at the end of each row of building to see if trouble was around.  He breezes through the area so fast, that it's easy to overlook anything that might have been important inhishaste.  (rolled a 6)

David follows along behind Pax, content to follow and provide muscle for anything that might be found.  (tn 9+ / no roll)

Roger moves off to look over the area for trouble.  He was a fighter not a scout, so he had no clue what to really look for.  He walks his mech through the starport but comes up empty.  (tn 10+ / rolled a 9)

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:16, Fri 08 Nov 2013.

Zoe Hargrieve
 player, 22 posts
 R0: First Ranker
 Callsign: Dirtnap
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 07:24
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Zoe had watched the IFF signals of the two enemy 'mechs rushing off the battlefield with a grimace.  She'd been making her approach from the south, pushing the engines as hard as they'd go over the slowly rolling terrain to catch up with the main detachment with more than an hour now, but with the enemy on the run it looked like she'd missed the party.  It had been an easy matter to link up with Carmine and establish her credentials in the Detroit Garrison, and soon enough her 35 tonner was parked by the Dropship's loading dock, one arm-mounted flamethrower covering the loading ramp in case anyone in the wrong uniform thought to escape the boarding action.

"Two Unions?" Dirtnap whistled respectfully as she considered the amount of firepower being added to the enemy's reserves, "These Banzai boys aren't playin' around, are they?" she let her gaze trace the arch of the eastern hill as she looked through the broad T-shaped canopy of the Firestarter, glad she'd elected to reinforce the 'mech when she'd had it in to have the thing refurbished.  It was only another ton of armored plate, but if she was going to have to break through an enemy line to get clear after La Trinite she needed to be able to survive the approach.

Her eye kept flicking back to the radar as she stood guard, feeling the momentum as she twisted the waist to check her blind spots.  The detachment's Commander--no, wait, Lieutenant,  they were using Inner Sphere ranks while coordinating with the mercs -- had been injured in battle.  It looked like about a third of their 'mechs were withdrawing, leaving them with a little over half a Company to hold out against two.  That left them without a commissioned officer, unless she was mistaken.

"Heh ... looks like my luck's holding steady."
she mused, shaking her head.  4:1 odds against unknown tonnage, she hoped the scouts were doing their job out there.  It felt like she was wearing a big bullseye as things currently stood.  Well, she supposed, it could be worse ... she could be one of the ones out there desperately trying to slap a few more plates on their machine before everything went to hell.
Kitten
 GM, 854 posts
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 13:44
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.

"Lina droships are in bound.  It looks like they're dropping recon lances ahead of their deployment to make certain the area is secure before the dropships land.  You're going to have to deploy your available forces into two groups."

Two waypoints light up on Lina's map marked 'A' and 'B'.

"Recon lances have landed here, and will need to be dealt with.  If we can stall them, we may be able to delay the landings of the unions long enough to get La Trinite into orbit.  I'm showing Blue Rose, Jayne, Reggie and Burner withdrawing from the engagement.  That leaves yourself, Traxx, Avenger, Shield Maiden, Snow, Berserker, Roger and your reinforcements Dirtnap.  Jake will stay behind to safeguard the Dropships.  Make your teams and deploy
Kitten
 GM, 858 posts
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 20:06
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Regina, Lucius, Carmine, and Harry may make Scout checks for their return trip.

Base Mental Target number + 2 penalty = Scouting tn

Carmine is at an additional +2 penalty for injuries.

Lucius is at an additional +1 penalty for injuries.
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 44 posts
 Freelance mechwarrior
 Callsign Berserker
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 00:30
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
“Berserker in for the long haul,” he replied over the command frequency.
“Moving to a position of over-watch to support salvage and repair operations” Settling the mech into a lumbering walk seeking high ground to the east, he found an excellent vantage point to watch the hostile dropship lift off and to scan the sky for the expected incoming enemy reinforcements.  Against the stifling heat of the cockpit, Olaf cracked the maintenance seals behind his command couch.  Relishing the relative chill of the late afternoon air, he set his Garret D2j targeting array to wide scan watching the myriad of colors flash across his sensor panel as the machine flicked between magscan, infrared and electro-optical modes seeking any distant enemy targets.


Not sure if Olaf observation post and long range over-watch counts as scouting, but making a roll nonetheless:

Base TN 5+ 2(scout penalty)  = 7
17:27, Sat 09 Nov 2013: Olaf Oleeson rolled 8 using 2d6 ((6,2)) PASS
 

Zoe Hargrieve
 player, 24 posts
 R0: First Ranker
 Callsign: Dirtnap
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 18:29
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
"You heard the lady, Big Guy, I'm tagging in."  Zoe transmitted with a cheerful tone.  She opened and closed her right hand and shook it out as if trying to fight a case of pre-engagement jitters, but her left hand still gripped the stick and held the over-under medium laser and flame thrower barrels trained on the Union's loading ramp.  As the autocannon equipped 'mech heavily trod near her, she lightly began working the pedals, moving away from the door to give him room to maneuver.

"I'll give 'em one for you."
as she passed near Jake, she took a moment to look at him through the armored canopy of the mech's head, flashing him a quick salute as she goaded her machine into a trot and then a run, looking to catch up with the rest of the group as they worked to split into two lances.

"Anyone here run up against Team Banzai before?  Sounds like a bunch of Dracs, but they'd be a long way from home ..."

OOC:  Well, now that I'm no longer babysitting the Dropship, I suppose I should add a Scouting roll of my own to the mix.
13:26, Today: Zoe Hargrieve rolled 11 using 2d6 with rolls of 5,6. Scouting Roll, TN 8+.
(Pass)
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 46 posts
 Freelance mechwarrior
 Callsign Berserker
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 20:31
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
“Never tangled with these guys before today, Dirtnap." he replied.  "Spent some time with the Kuritists and I've never heard of these guys.  All signs seem to point to them being FedRat mercs, but that doesn't sit right with me, if I'm being honest."

With the targeting system busily monitoring the distant horizon, Olaf watched as his commander withdrew from the battlefield.  Reaching back to recall something of the tactical command lessons from his DCMS OCS selection he keyed open the command freq again:  "Berserker to Traxx, looks like you’re the man in charge now with Blue out of the picture.” he paused for a moment, but not long enough to allow the only remaining officer on the battlefield to reply.  “I suggest we break into three groups.  Ace group forms a wolfpack led by Traxx and composed of  Avenger, Shield Maiden and DirtnapDeuce group, Viking and I, provide long range fire support with our LRMs.  Lastly, Wildcard group is Snow and Iron Maiden.  Their job is to harass from a distance whenever possible but primarily they move out on the flanks and use their speed to close in for rear shots or to finish the kill once opportunity knocks.”
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 267 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 20:34
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
"I'll have to admit i've never encountered them before either.
What does the rumor mill say about them?, anything at all?"


She spoke on the head-set radio while bolting a plate loosely to her left torso.
It was shoddy, in fact scotty would hang her for having done it, but hopefully it'd keep her mech from getting blown into orbit.
Roger Simms
 player, 38 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 20:41
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
 Wondering if mission silence was being broken before breaking out in a smile in the now cool interior of the cockpit of his family's old mech, chuckling softly to himself And it is still running. Switching to the open frequency he offers the scuttle but that most had heard. "Not much, just a whole lot of trouble and bull headed as most dracs."
Echo Snow
 Alt, 58 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 22:33
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Echo heard the call to mount out go out and was quick to stow away her gear and squirrel herself back up into the cockpit.

"Princess checking it.  Warming up.", She kept an eye on the friendly unit markers on the map and noted who was where.  She was still adjusting her neurohelmet on and settling into her seat as the discussion of assignments was going out.
Kitten
 GM, 864 posts
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 22:52
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
The two enemy dropships had dropped mechs at two different locations.  Olaf was observing some at the East Field, location 'B' and are able to make out the distinct silouette of a Hatchetman coming down on the field.  With him, a three other mechs were droping in close proximity.  The Hatchetman's lancemates were a mystery to Olaf.  All he was able to observe, was that they all made steady jumps down.  The flickering heat signatures of jump jets in use meant that the entire lance was jump capable.

Zoe had missed the earlier action and was eager to get into the thick of it.  She was farther west and settled to observe the field from the dubious cover of trees.  From the edge she marked the drop locations of a lance of mechs.  The largest of them, with the common silouette of a Phoenix Hawk.  Too large to be a wasp or stinger, it could only be a Phoenix Hawk.  The two smallest mechs drop down quick and fast, no jump jets on those mechs help to hint at what they might be.  The unique silouette of a Locust was one of them, the other was a mystery.  The last mech, is a mystery.  All that could be observed of the last mech the flickering lights of jump jets in use.





OOC - Setup notes...

The dropships are dropping far enough apart that the players will have to split up to deal with them.  I am waiting to see if Zenha returns, or will sit this fight out as well, giving her till monday to check in.

At the moment tentative mission commanders will be Pax for the Wolfpack and Olaf from the Militia...

Tentative units assignments are...

Rat Pack
25 tn - Mongoose - Pax
35 tn - Jenner - David
35 tn - Fire Starter - Henriette

Militia
40 tn - Whitworth - Olaf
30 tn - Valkyrie - Roger
35 tn - Firestarter - Zoe

Liason
25 tn - Power Loader - Lina
20 tn - Locuse - Echo

For roleplaying reason, the Rat Pack and Militia will keep unit integrity.  You may assign Lina and Echo as you think best.  I would suggest spliting them up between the two lances to field four mechs against your potential opponents.

You will also have to decide who will deploy to field A, and who will deploy to field B.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:54, Sun 10 Nov 2013.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 276 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 23:07
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Lucius grumbled as he left the field more for his own issues rather than his mechs.  Still as much as Pax might like to think he was some suicidal pilot Luc picked his fights when he knew he could win them.

Shaking his head he kept his sensors active on the return trip just in case the Banzai Bastards had sent a unit to flank them from the diversion that those big guys from the 101st had dirtside.


---
18:06, Today: Lucius McMurphy rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 6,2. Scouting Checks on return trip, TN11+
Regina Arlington
 player, 91 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Sun 10 Nov 2013
at 23:53
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
The fight was over as far as Regina was concerned.  The wisdom of Blake says that all things have a time and place, and Regina felt that this was the time to withdraw while Blakes blessings were still with her.

It was all good and quiet.  Not at all likely that anything was going to find them on the trip back to Miller's Creek so she opens her copy of "The Word of Blake" and studies his teaching while they travel.

Regina is suitably clueless to her surroundings as she travels.


18:48, Today: Regina Arlington rolled 4 using 2d6 with rolls of 2,2. Scouting tn 9+.
Roger Simms
 player, 40 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 01:42
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
 He scanned the land around the drop ship pad for signs of air craft or skulking infantry they may have missed and listened to the code chatter. tapping the code enforcer on his radio, he offers out, "I am good where ever i can be the most useful to finish the mission with the drop ship. Just better with my missiles then a straight shoot um up."
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 49 posts
 Freelance mechwarrior
 Callsign Berserker
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 02:28
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
Watching his sensors grimly, Olaf keyed the command channel.  “Cancel that idea, Pax.  Looks like we've been dealt a different hand.” he said flatly.  “I agree that the only way to do this is to split up.  We can’t let either scouting party have it easy otherwise the dropships will be right behind them.”  With his commanding officer off the field, his was stomach a tight knot as he fought to keep the apprehension he felt from creeping into his voice.  “Miller Creek militia, guess you’re stuck with me until I’m dead or someone better comes along.  I’ve got a positive ID on one of those hatchet carrying mediums off to the east along with three unidentified hostiles on Objective B.  Headed that way unless anyone has a better idea.”  He started the Whitworth moving at an easy walk then reached up behind his head to close the open access panels, sealing the cockpit for the second battle of the day.

As the 40-ton war-machine strode off toward the enemy landing zone he added: "I'd be glad to keep you with the militia Viking, we could definitely put those LRMs to good use.  Princess and Iron Maiden; happy to have either or both of you join us as well." he added, "Glad to have you join us Dirtnap, welcome to the team, we could use all the help we can get."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:04, Tue 12 Nov 2013.

Echo Snow
 Alt, 61 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 03:56
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
"Lina, which way do we go?", Echo was uncertain which group of mechs she had been assigned to, had she missed that critical piece of information?
Lina Todd
 Alt, 66 posts
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 04:23
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
"They haven't decided Echo.  If they don't shortly I'll link up with Pax, David and Henriette while you link up with the rest of the militia unit of Olaf, Roger and Zoe." replied Lina to her fellow Edenite as she pulled back to where the units were seemingly trying to figure out where they were going to go and who they were going to go against.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 210 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 05:40
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
"Sorry Olaf, had a temporary comm glitch.  I received your last. Your taking the Militia to point 'B' and I take the Pack and point 'A'.

Sounds like there are two more mechs not heading back, Let me take Lina and you Echo to even out the tonnage.

Rat Pack and anyone coming with me switch to the Company comm channel 3."


After giving the team a chance to switch.

"Remember this is a delaying action.  We need to slow them down."
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 270 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 06:46
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying.
"Don't get yourselves killed out there.
It seems the eleven of us, are the only people standing between these lunatics and a bunch of non-combatants"


then she too switched to comm 3, and began prepping for departure.
"Alright, Road runner, lets see if we can't throw a wrench in their wheels"
Kitten
 GM, 871 posts
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 12:35
Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Traxx led Avenger, Shield Maiden, and Iron Maiden off towards the West Air field.

(*laughs*  You sound like a superehero group with those callsigns...)

It was on the edge of the space port and most of it was a clear field.  There a long landing strip for Aerodyne drop ships to land on as well as a simple drop pad for spheroid dropship to come down on.

There wasnt alot of terrain to use for cover, but what little around the drop pad that existed was currently occupied.  Now that they were closing into combat distance, they got a better idea of the weight classes involved on the battlefield.

There was a P-Hawk positioned in some wood with a Locust beside him.

A hundred meters or so beside the run way was a hanger of some sort.  There was the silouette of a medium mech of sort inside the building.

Behind the hanger, out of sight, was the last mech a light of some sort.

Range is currently 900 meters.

You are approaching from the east and are currently deployed in a diamond formation, with Pax at the point.  Avenger on the south flank and Shield Maiden on the north one.  Lina is rearguard on the East point of the diamond as they approach.

Probably tonnage of Op Force is between 125 tons and 155 tons.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:51, Tue 12 Nov 2013.

Kitten
 GM, 872 posts
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 12:48
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Berserker led, Viking, Dirtnap and Princess off to review things on the East Field.

The field had two runways, and no obvious drop pad for a spheroid to land on.  The paired run ways were made for light commercial conventional flights, though they could be adapted for aerotech use as well.

While there was no obvious hard point for the dropship to land on, it was not impossible for a good pilot to set down on the field.  While a hardened surface would certain make for an easier landing and departure, it was hardly impossible.  The field was at least clear of landing hazard.

There were half a dozen hangers at he end of the landing strip.

Simple map

    {Hanger}  {Hanger}
     =================================================== (landing strip
    {Hanger}H{Hanger}
     =================================================== (landing strip
    {Hanger}  {Hanger}

H = Hatchetman

You catch a glimpse of the Hatchetman as it move from the east side of the strip west to taking cover among the hangers.

You pick up heat signatures in the three hangers on the east side.  Based on the signatures, it's not a hard presumption that there is nothing larger than a medium in them, probably lights is a fair assumption.  You catch movement from them as they're redeploying themselves to the hangers on the West side to greet you.

Range is currently 900 meters.

You are approaching from the west and are currently deployed in a 'box' formation.

Dirtnap is on the North East corner of the box, with Princess on her south flank.

Berserker is on the North West corner of the box, with Viking on his south flank.

Probable Op Force tonnage is between 105 tons and 210 tons.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:50, Tue 12 Nov 2013.

Kitten
 GM, 873 posts
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 12:59
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Mexican intel gathering for this roleplaying 'mission'.


Intel gathered on Base Mental roll adjusted as follows...

You get a penalty of 2 for not being a scout.  (No one is a scout, it's an infantry role)

You get a penalty of 6 for 'extreme' range.  (Scouting ranges are based on medium laser ranges, you need to close to 270 meters or less to reduce this penalty)

You get a BONUS based on your def modifier, from movement.  (The better your def modifier, the more mobile you are, the faster you'll get the angle you need to catch a glimpse of something from mobility)

Characters with Edge, may apply it normally to an Intel Roll once, for this intell gathering 'mission'.

For Example.

Echo has a Mental stat of 1, giving her a bast tn of 7+

She's not a scout so the tn goes up to tn 9+

We're at extreme range so the tn goes up to 15+

She is however in a Locust, a very good scouting mech that can easily get up to a +4 Def Modifier, reducing the tn to 11+

Echo will gather useful intell on a roll of 11+

Simon Says...

Lina - Out
Echo - Out
David - Out
Roger - Out

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:59, Wed 13 Nov 2013.

Lina Todd
 Alt, 67 posts
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 14:44
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Lina tried to alter the vector on her sensors to bounce the signal off the interior of the hanger to get a solid read on the mech that was inside.  At almost a kilometer out she didn't have the sensing equipment that she needed which just made her realize she needed to requisition an active probe as a sensor addition to swap out for her left arm pulse laser.

Shaking her head to keep it focused she wished she had payed more attention to her ECM/ECCM/EW instructor.  She vaguley remembered that even with the standard electronics on the older mechs that one could...modify it's output and receiver to get a better signal.  The X3a might not be the EW version but they were among the newest and best out there she should be able to pick up something useful...

((Subject line wrong, out for Simon says))

---
09:44, Today: Lina Todd rolled 3 using 2d6 with rolls of 2,1. Corner pocket off the hangar, TN11+. And the horrible rolls keep on coming, lol.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:03, Wed 13 Nov 2013.

Roger Simms
 player, 41 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 15:38
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
 As they moved over the slight ridge line and into sight of the commercial runways, his heads up binged a tone of the hatchman ducking back into the series of hangers that his old sensors showed a blob of heat coming from a few.

 Taping the safety off his missles and laser he scanned the sides of the airport for any possible mechs hidden by low power output. "Are these heroes going to try and hold this airfield?. I know its was never really built to handle any ovoid drop ships, Is this just to split our force?.

 Ok, Beserker, how we doing this?."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:40, Tue 12 Nov 2013.

Olaf Oleeson
 player, 50 posts
 NC R1 - Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 16:16
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
As the remainder of his lance fell in with him, he pushed the mech into lumbering a run, wanting to close the distance but not drag them into a close fight.  He searched the area for a spot to shake out with his lance mates while adjusting his targeting computer.  Although he still had a fix on the medium weight mech lurking among the airstrip’s hangars he had not yet got a read on the others.

Trying to remain unfazed as his scans continued to come up empty, Olaf jumped onto the command channel.  “Viking, stick with me and take up a position to the west of the hangars.”  Jostled inside the cockpit he quickly sketched out a plan on his tactical computer and transmitted a map chip across the command net.  "Princess and Dirtnap, I’ll bet they’re looking for us to come into that small group of buildings and get into a street fight.  Make a show of moving fast off to the north-west as if you were scouts looping in on the hangars then headed back to HQ to make a report.  Viking and I will be positioned to look like a rear-guard.  Ideally they bite on our deception and our moving around will draw them out away from the hangars.  Once we've got them in the open Viking and I hit him with LRMs while you two swoop in for the kill.  Priority for fire goes to the Hachetman unless any of you have found something better.”


TN 5 + 2 (Scout penalty) + 6 (range) - 2 (run) = 11
08:59, Tue 12 Nov 2013: Olaf Oleeson rolled 9 using 2d6 ((3,6)) FAIL


***** *****

                            PRINCESS / DIRTNAP
                                (Counter-Attack)
                                         \
                                          \
                                           \
                                            V
BERSERKER)-LRM->                                 {Hanger}  {Hanger}
                                                                 ===================================================
                             <------ENEMY Advance  {Hanger}  {Hanger}
                                                                  ===================================================
                                                                  {Hanger}  {Hanger}

VIKING)-LRM->

This message was last edited by the player at 16:45, Tue 12 Nov 2013.

Kitten
 GM, 880 posts
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 16:17
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Kitten:
You are approaching from the west and are currently deployed in a 'box' formation.


Fix your compass.
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 51 posts
 NC R1 - Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 16:46
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Damn solar flares.
David Crain
 player, 166 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 17:13
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Avenger selects the appropriate channel on his comm before responding, "Traxx, should we head in for a closer look so we know what we're dealing with?"

OOC: scouting roll pending
Echo Snow
 Alt, 64 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 18:18
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Echo was a little fuzzy on what exactly Berserker considered 'better'.  Better as in easier to kill?  Better as in more dangerous?  Wasnt the Hatchetman plenty dangerous already?  It was twice as heavy her locust, with a gun that made her light auto canons look like squirt guns.

"Closing for a look then.", Princess announces on the Comm.

Scouting ahead was something Echo felt alot more confident about.  The Small locust cuts it's approach vector from East, to North east and runs parallel to the Hangers for 300 meters before turning East again.

"I'm seeing a lot of nothing.  Are we making an attack run then?  I cant see anything from this distance."

Scouting tn 7 + 2 + 6 - 4 = tn 11+
13:18, Today: Echo Snow rolled 4 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,1. Scout check tn 11+.


((Subject line wrong, out for Simon says))

This message was last edited by the player at 00:03, Wed 13 Nov 2013.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 213 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 19:15
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
2 Meduim mechs ... oh, that's just DUCKY!

Traxx decided to go for a faint to see if he could get the other lance to flinch.

"All right Pack, We're going in to see if we can ID the other 2 mechs.  Stay at full throttle and stay out of LRM range.  We don't need to be sucked in and caught in a medium mech's missile envelope.  This is a delaying action we'll let the situation develop and adjust on the bounce."


11:11, Today: Pax Tarkin rolled 5 using 2d6 with rolls of 1,4. scouting TN11  NO
David Crain
 player, 168 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 22:28
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Intel TN: 6 (Base) + 2 (not-scout) + 6 (range, unless we go closer) - 4 (Max DM) = 10+

15:25, Today: David Crain rolled 12 using 2d6 with rolls of 6,6. Mexican intel roll, TN 10+. [PASS]

Avenger triggers his comm, "Avenger copies, rattle our sabres and hope they take the bluff.  We got this one!", as the moves his throttle forward to maximum speed in an attempt to get a visual on the unknown mechs.

(Subject line wrong, out for Simon says)

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:02, Wed 13 Nov 2013.

Roger Simms
 player, 42 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Tue 12 Nov 2013
at 23:24
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
 Shifting slightly to the south of Berserker, he aligned his torso with the hangers until he could shift the torso back around to align the body.

 "Roger that, setting the fire line".
Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 272 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Wed 13 Nov 2013
at 00:26
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Henriette nodded and then tapped her comms.
"Roger that Traxx, lets see if we can't ID these bastards"
She then sped up to surge around the hostile LZ, scanning for their other two mechs.

she couldn't make anything out, however.


Base difficulty mental 2 = 6+, +2(untrained), +6(range) -3(defmod) = 11+

TN 11+, Roll 9, FAILURE

01:25, Today: Henriette Karlsdottir rolled 9 using 2d6 with rolls of 6,3. TN 11+ scouting roll.
Kitten
 GM, 902 posts
Wed 13 Nov 2013
at 04:53
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
The Militia skirt about the edge of the airfield but fail to discern the identity of the mechs skulking about the hangers.

Word comes from the Trinite, that theyve taken command of the dropship and only need five more minutes to boost off to safety.

While five minutes might not sound like alot, entire battles are often decided in a fraction of that time span.
Kitten
 GM, 903 posts
Wed 13 Nov 2013
at 04:58
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Most of the Rat Packers move out and spread out in an effort to avoid being easy targets.  They stay well out of range of the locust and phoenix hawk how seem content to stay dug in and hold their positions.  It's only when they brush too close to the border of what they consider to be 'safe' that they spark a response.

Avenger scoots in at an angle trying to see what the medium mech looks like in the hanger bay, staying clear of LRM range.  That's when light auto canon open up on him and he seems a popular Davion mech, a Black Jack starts to spew light shells at Avenger, startling him into falling back.

Word comes from the Trinite, that theyve taken command of the dropship and only need five more minutes to boost off to safety.

While five minutes might not sound like alot, entire battles are often decided in a fraction of that time span.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 215 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Wed 13 Nov 2013
at 16:32
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Seeing the shells cross Avenger's path,  "Well it looks like they brought something with a bit of range. Anyone see what that 4th light mech was?"

Traxx modifies the plan, "Maidens hang back and loiter in some cover if you can find it, Avenger gain some distance and lets loop around and see what we can see."

Standard light mech lance tactics, flank the enemy and if they give you a chance to stab them in the back.  Of course the enemy lance had an excellent counter. They were dug in around buildings and could use their longer ranged mechs as a center while not turning their backs on the flanking mechs.

Traxx was real glad they did not have to go in there and dig them out.


Kitten:
Word comes from the Trinite, that theyve taken command of the dropship and only need five more minutes to boost off to safety.


Lance Comm
"I'm going to try and talk to these guys."


OPEN COMM short range
"P-hawk and locust lance I think you guys might be lost. No civilians here for you to butcher.  I hear their might be some West of here though."

Roger Simms
 player, 43 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Wed 13 Nov 2013
at 16:56
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
 He stalk over to a small low ridge of furrowed dirt and looked down at the layout. "It would seem to me that they want to stay and hold the ground they have, i would have to guess commander that they intend to bring their heavier brothers in to cut off any exits this way.

 I can see that the hangers give some protection but it also cuts off any good scans to the sides of the hangers. If they are inside the hangers they can only shoot front and back or shoot blind thru the sides or roof, any way we can exploit that advantage lance leader?."


(Subject line wrong, out for Simon says)

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:59, Wed 13 Nov 2013.

Olaf Oleeson
 player, 53 posts
 NC R1 - Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Wed 13 Nov 2013
at 21:09
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
“All right everyone, I just got word from La Trinite she’s getting ready to lift off so we only need about five minutes of making this LZ too hot for reinforcements to drop in.  Once La Trinite is up we can break contact and withdraw.”  watching the pair of fast moving mechs moving off to the northeast, he asked: “You’re awfully quiet Dirtnap, are you picking up anything on your sensors or still coming up empty?”

Unconsciously looking off to his right to where the Valkyrie was adjusting position he continued, “Still looking for them to bite, Viking.  Let’s close the distance a bit and see if they take the bait.  I’m moving in.  Just to the edge of LRM range.  No closer.”  Olaf consulted his nav comp again quickly then keyed back onto the command channel.  “We need to make this LZ too hot for the incoming dropships.  If we succeed and draw them out of the hangars then the fast movers either counter-attack or flank.  I’m no dropship pilot, but I gotta think that landing a Union on an improvised LZ like those airstrips would be tricky business and something they likely wouldn’t want to chance in the middle of a firefight.”  Lights flickered on his targeting computer as the range began to close and his reticule danced over the distant hangars.  “Either we make it too hot for the scouts to hold their ground or we take advantage of their limited fields of fire from inside that hangar complex and allow the Locust and Firestarter get around them.  If we can pincer the enemy then we stand a good chance of turning the runway into our kill zone.  I wouldn’t rule out putting a few volleys of LRM into the pavement either, maybe we can damage it enough to make them balk at trying for a landing.  Either way, everyone stay flexible and don’t get pulled in so deep that you lose your escape route.”

This message was last edited by the player at 21:13, Wed 13 Nov 2013.

Zoe Hargrieve
 player, 29 posts
 R0: First Ranker
 Callsign: Dirtnap
Thu 14 Nov 2013
at 16:22
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
The cockpick shuddered and jumped as she pushed the engine to try and keep up with the nimble form of the Locust.  Out here in the open, she had to rely on speed and positioning to keep her in one piece.  The Hatchetman's autocannon was a real threat to their light lance, but somehow she couldn't keep a smirk off of her face.  She squinted and traced her tongue over dry lips, a shadow on the wall of one of the hangars catching her attention.  Even knowing she was out of range for her lasers, she tightened her grip on the control sticks.  As the long looping path of she and Echo's flanking team brought her to the corner of the building, she centered her aim on the shadow and punched up her HUD's image magnifier.

"Nothing on sensors beyond the heat signatures, Boss-man ... but ... I think I see something."
11:00, Today: Zoe Hargrieve rolled 10 using 2d6 with rolls of 6,4. Scouting the Hangars 11+.
... I'm probably going to regret this, but I kinda want more intel on this group.  I spend my Edge to get to 11
(Pass)

This message was last edited by the player at 16:29, Thu 14 Nov 2013.

Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 273 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Thu 14 Nov 2013
at 22:41
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
"Roger that boss"
She wasn't about to charge into that, not with unknowns around, so she found herself a nice patch of forest to trudge around in, while trying to get a good look into the base.

however she couldn't quite calibrate her scanners correctly, so she kept getting useless garbled feedback data.
She smiled grimly at TRaxx' message to them over the comms, most other jabs coulda been fun, but this one wasn't... not even by a long shot.
Hopefully it'd provoke the last hostile into showing themselves.
David Crain
 player, 170 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Thu 14 Nov 2013
at 22:51
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Avenger is shaken out of his complacency when the Blackjack appears and starts to lobby AC shells at him.  Thankfully the pilot didn't seem to be used to tracking faster targets and he very quickly opens the range while putting some buildings in between us to force the Blackjack to move if the pilot wanted to carry on shooting.

Avenger acknowledges Traxx's order by accelerating to maximum speed, moving out to range and then swinging around in a broad circle, approximately 750m out from the Blackjack's last known position, to see if the two of them could flank the enemy position while they were dealing with the other two rat pack mechs.
Roger Simms
 player, 44 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 00:13
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
 Nodding his head which was kind of worthless, since they were on the comm channel, he ease's his Mech forward to keep a line abreast with the flanker with him.
 He did try and see something besides the big hangers but could wait till he had a solid tone.
Echo Snow
 Alt, 85 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 21:08
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Echo cuts and scoots, working her path north east, moving closer to a position directly north of the hanger, to get into a flanking positions, it wouldnt take her more than a few seconds to get there in her quick moving locust.

"Are we engaging or just teasing them?"

This message was lightly edited by the player at 21:13, Fri 15 Nov 2013.

Kitten
 GM, 919 posts
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 21:13
Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Dirtnap and Princess flit in and out of LRM range and Zoe finally catchs a glimps of a Firefly that opens up with a flight of LRMs to keep her honest and force her to keep her distance or take fire should she choose to close.

Olaf and Roger are too far out to exchange missiles with them at this time.

Olaf may make a tactical roll, at a penalty of 3, at this time for a clue to discern what they're up to.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:21, Fri 15 Nov 2013.

Kitten
 GM, 920 posts
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 21:19
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Pax manages to draw a reaction from the Op Force with his challenge.

"That's quite an allegation you have there Mista.

 I dont suppose you'd be willing to walk up and discuss it face to face?

 If not, I'm gonna have to ask you to apologize and withdraw your ac~q~say~tions.
", a feminine voice answers in a southern relaxed drawl.


Pax can make a tactics roll, at a penalty of 2, to discern their tactics if any.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:21, Fri 15 Nov 2013.

Pax Tarkin
 player, 218 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 23:38
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Tactics is 5 or 4 depending on if the heirloom mech bonus counts.  Pilot 4,  tactics skill (1),  penalty (-2),  heirloom mech ? (1)
15:30, Today: Pax Tarkin rolled 9 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,6. Tactics roll  TN?

Question: this the same P-Hawk that was from the first mission?

Kitten
 GM, 927 posts
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 23:46
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Heirloom, is used for intiative, this isnt initiative, it's an effort to discern what the enemy is doing.  (which should probably be a leadership roll i suppose, but i called tactics so leave it)

It's a P-Hawk, they all look pretty much alike so it's hard to say.
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 55 posts
 NC R1 - Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 23:52
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)

Watching the LRMs lamely pockmark the ground off to his northeast Olaf kept his own target indicator over the hangar where he had last spotted the Hachetman.  As much as he was trying to discern the enemy lance’s intentions, he hoped that his opposite was trying to discern what exactly they were up to.  He flirted with the idea of trying to open comms with the enemy commander, but decided that leaving his actions open to interpretation would better serve to confound the enemy.  Confusion benefited the milita.  Every minute the enemy spent waiting to determine whether or not the LZ was safe for landing was another minute toward a successful delaying action.  “Keep teasing them Princess.  Our task is to achieve five minutes of delay, we’ll engage if the enemy comes into our kill zone or if it becomes necessary to make this airfield too hot for a dropship landing.  All we need to do right now is buy time.”  Inside his cockpit he silently hoped he had gotten this right.  He was happy with the execution of the plan thus far and noted that they were well spaced out and had open withdrawal routes.  Still, the neophyte lance commander felt as if he was skirting a delicate balance and soon it would be necessary to start raising enough hell to keep the enemy from committing a dropship to a hot LZ.  Not wanting to get caught off guard he added: “Viking, I’ve got the hangars covered, once you’re in position keep an eye on the air for signs of an incoming drop.”


Tactics roll: TN 5+ 3 (tactics penalty) = 8
16:27, Fri 15 Nov 2013: Olaf Oleeson rolled 3 using 2d6 ((1,2)) No Joy

Zoe Hargrieve
 player, 30 posts
 R0: First Ranker
 Callsign: Dirtnap
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 00:47
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
"SHIT!"  Red lights flashed and warning klaxons flared as Zoe got a look at the low rounded shape of the Firefly.  Reflexively, she stomped hard on both pedals, jumpjets flaring to life and sending her skyward as the missile contrails spiraled under her, arching upwards and into the sky before they lost lock.  Reaching the top of her arch, she fired the medium laser in her center torso just to keep things honest, though the beam of light lost coherency long before it struck its target.

"Positive ID on a Firefly."
she signaled, feathering the jets as she began to arch back down.  Licking her lips, she looked down to make sure she was going to land clear of Princess, landing lightly enough to keep on the run.  She raised up both of Knave's arms, working to put another hangar between her and that LRM.

"You wanna force stand-off with these guys?" she asked incredulously, pressing her lips together.  She was toothless from this far out, and the Team Banzai Recon Lance was hunkered down in a fortified position.  Maybe they could tie them up for the five minutes they needed for La Trinite, but between the two forces only the invaders had reinforcements waiting in the wings.

"Not to put too fine a point on it, but if they wanna stay boxed up, we might be better off just making the air strip an unsuitable landing point." she suggested, out of turn admittedly, "Say, by ruining visibility from the air?  It's a tricky enough landing to stick even as it currently stands ..."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:38, Sat 16 Nov 2013.

Lina Todd
 Alt, 104 posts
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 00:51
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Following Pax's orders Iron Maiden looked for some cover to sidle up by well out of the range of the mechs and use her mechs electronics to see if she could crack in on their communications since she wasn't going to be busy dodging LRM's or AC rounds.  Something else was going on here and the hairs on the back of her neck were tingling...

This message was last updated by the player at 00:51, Sat 16 Nov 2013.

Roger Simms
 player, 45 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 01:04
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
 Receiving the transmission he again nodded his head and then smacked himself,"Roger that, scanning the nice clean air now". Twisting the gain slightly to use more power but to increase his range for signs of trouble inbound.

 He knew only to well, how fast a air strike could roll over the airbase and anything under it. Still, the idea of the recon force content to just set in the hangers made him want to scratch an itch he couldnt reach.
Kitten
 GM, 928 posts
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 01:45
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Lina Todd:
Following Pax's orders Iron Maiden looked for some cover to sidle up by well out of the range of the mechs and use her mechs electronics to see if she could crack in on their communications since she wasn't going to be busy dodging LRM's or AC rounds.  Something else was going on here and the hairs on the back of her neck were tingling...



Lina you may make a Technician check, at penalty two, to try and hack into the Op Force command channel.

(If you had a beagle probe you would have been at a plus two bonus instead, but you dont have one)
Lina Todd
 Alt, 105 posts
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 02:00
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Running through the other teachers instructions she worked on isolating the bandwith between their own signals and the enemy.  She really wished she had a Beagle Probe now and resigned herself to working on gaining modules for the shoulders to replace her pulse lasers with both the Beagle and the Guardian...though she wasn't sure at the moment if they could on the X3a.  The momentary hitch in her mind over the power layout and distribution gave her an idea and she put it into action...



---
20:56, Today: Lina Todd rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,5. Hack the OpFor's Network...with my Hatchet.
Mental 6 + 2 Penalty...TN8 for the win?

Olaf Oleeson
 player, 56 posts
 NC R1 - Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 02:34
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
"I like where your head is at, Dirtnap." Olaf replied over the comm.  "If you see anything you can burn to create a smoke cloud that obscures that airstrip then say the word."
Kitten
 GM, 930 posts
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 02:36
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Lina Todd:
Running through the other teachers instructions she worked on isolating the bandwith between their own signals and the enemy.  She really wished she had a Beagle Probe now and resigned herself to working on gaining modules for the shoulders to replace her pulse lasers with both the Beagle and the Guardian...though she wasn't sure at the moment if they could on the X3a.  The momentary hitch in her mind over the power layout and distribution gave her an idea and she put it into action...

---
20:56, Today: Lina Todd rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,5. Hack the OpFor's Network...with my Hatchet.
Mental 6 + 2 Penalty...TN8 for the win?


nice roll
Kitten
 GM, 931 posts
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 02:37
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
Olaf Oleeson:
"I like where your head is at, Dirtnap." Olaf replied over the comm.  "If you see anything you can burn to create a smoke cloud that obscures that airstrip then say the word."



The run ways and buildings are pretty clear of hazards that burn, unless youre going to burn the buildings down.  Dropships have alot of hot plasmas flinging about so, maintenance would be to make certain such things are weeded out and burnt out ahead of time to prevent compications.
Lina Todd
 Alt, 107 posts
Sat 16 Nov 2013
at 02:48
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
From they way they were hashing since Pax's accusation Lina began to wonder if the initial wave of mechs were actually part of Team Banzai or if they were being used to further the agenda.  Opening comms to Pax she let him know, "Traxx, from their chatter I'm getting the feeling that they don't know about the massacre...and it seems like standing orders are to hold unless provoked.  We might be able to sit them out...and someone else either isn't telling their people what they are really doing or the ones we've been dealing with aren't really Team Banzai...just a hunch, no solid data yet but it's a feeling I've got."  Continuing to keep the tap low level she listened in to follow subsection seven point three and create a mental dossier about the enemy based on their comm traffic.

This message was last updated by the player at 17:33, Mon 18 Nov 2013.

Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 274 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Mon 18 Nov 2013
at 17:32
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Henriette growled at the refusal of their guilt.
"Hardly an allegation, considering we have it on video.
I was there myself, your people murdered dozens of civilians, even going as far as ignoring military targets in the vicinity, Those targets including myself."


She said her voice clearly carrying strong disgust at their cowardly acts, as she chimed in on the channel pax had opened communications on.

"For obvious reasons we don't carry such footage around, but rest assured, it will be forwarded to the authorities at first opportunity!

ooc: did we get  any footage from the previous fight, of their warriors shooting down a building filled with their own people?
Pax Tarkin
 player, 220 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Mon 18 Nov 2013
at 18:22
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Realizing that he might have lumped all of the OpFor into one mech Pax softened his reply.


"There was a P-Hawk involved I thought it was you. I'm willing to admit that you might not have been present at the attack at Miller's Crossing, perhaps you have heard of it from some bragging by another unit?"

Kitten
 GM, 939 posts
Mon 18 Nov 2013
at 19:06
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
"You might have noticed me and my boys just made planetfall.

 If you're here to talk, i should tell you the rest of my company is making planetfall in a minute or two.

 If you wanna fight.  We'll i'm willing to oblige you there too.  We dont take kindly to the kinda mud you guys are slinging.  I'm not so gracious as to share a good old fashion butt whumping with the rest of my company.  If you want to tango.  Let's tango.
"

The Phoenix Hark makes an 'advance' motion with her left arm, and a Locust moves up on her left flank, while a Commando moves in on her right flank.  A Blackjack walks out of the hanger.

They look prepared to take it to combat at this point in time.  We go to combat mission 4, if you're obliging to fight it out.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:23, Mon 18 Nov 2013.

Lina Todd
 Alt, 109 posts
Mon 18 Nov 2013
at 19:16
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Lina wanted to butt in on the comms but held her tongue to let Pax do the talking while she focused on keeping up with the comms.  It was a loosing battle since she wasn't in a model of X3 that was designed to do that sort of thing and her conflicted desires meant she wasn't paying attention when the frequency shifted.  She tried to get it back but for the moment it seemed that she had lost the signal that would have helped them determine how much time they actually had...



---
14:11, Today: Lina Todd rolled 5 using 2d6 with rolls of 2,3. Hack the OpFor's Network...with my Hatchet...again. Not so much this time.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 222 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Mon 18 Nov 2013
at 23:27
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Pax continues speaking in a clear, none rushing voice, "In that case you now have notice, there are units on your side that have committed war crimes here on the planet before your arrival.  I would strongly suggest you double check your intelligence for accuracy prior to any missions regarding troop positions.

We've had to bury their handy work and I personally am tired of burying children.

I'm informing you cause I would hate for any new units to be suckered into murdering civilians."


Lance COM
"Time to link back up with the Maidens,  Avenger."

Continuing the circle him and Avenger were making.
Kitten
 GM, 942 posts
Mon 18 Nov 2013
at 23:43
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
"Where I come from, thems fightin words.

 I suggest you get out of Dodge.

 I'm gonna give you to the count of ten to Va-moos.

 One.... Two.... Three...
"
Pax Tarkin
 player, 224 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 00:09
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Lance COM
Prepare for engagement.  Maidens as the slower mechs you'll withdraw and Avenger and I will cover you.

Open COM
With an evil smile,  Well since you consider a friendly warning of facts as fightin' words.  Where your from ... are you sure ... ARE YOU SURE ... you can count that high?

Kitten
 GM, 944 posts
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 00:35
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
"four... nine... ten.  Lets go boys.",
Kitten
 GM, 945 posts
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 00:36
Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
The east side of the space port was not going to sit idly about while the West side started up a brawl.

They saw no reason to sit it out and came out shooting a few seconds after hostilities broke out on the West end of the space port.
David Crain
 player, 171 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 02:28
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Avenger follows behind Pax, keeping up as best he can.  He smiles to himself at the exchange between Pax and the bandits and is therefore unsurprised when they start shooting.  When the shooting does start, he makes best possible speed back to the Maidens to cover their retreat.

Lance comm:
"Right behind you, Road Runner.  Let's send these guys off-planet."

OOC: I haven't looked to confirm, but I'm pretty sure we were all told to record whatever we could as evidence of Team Banzai's war crimes.

OOC2: What's on this quiet, out-of-the-way planet that someone wants badly enough they're willing to commit two companies of mechs here???

Kitten
 GM, 950 posts
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 02:32
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
David Crain:
OOC: I haven't looked to confirm, but I'm pretty sure we were all told to record whatever we could as evidence of Team Banzai's war crimes.

OOC2: What's on this quiet, out-of-the-way planet that someone wants badly enough they're willing to commit two companies of mechs here???


1)  Some have... some havent... none of it is handy.

2)  More than two companies it would seem.  There were mechs on planet, and two more unions are dropping in it seems.
Roger Simms
 player, 47 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 02:58
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
 As his heads up sounded the chime of detected mechs and solid tone he locked onto the one at close range and brought his power lvl up to combat trim.

 "Looks like they want to join the brawl and go against their orders to hold. Lets rock and roll, squad leader."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:59, Tue 19 Nov 2013.

Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 276 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 03:41
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Henriette shrugged in ehr mech, then 'accidentally' forgot to switch channels.
"What do you know, they are exactly as bloodthirsty as their allies"

She throttled up the energy levels, and increased to full on run, to build distance, following Traxx's orders.
then on the squad channel.
"Roger that boss, make sure to get home in one piece, will you?"
David Crain
 player, 172 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 03:49
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
As Avenger raced back to his lance-mates he toggles the channel to his lance comm,  "Something to ponder later, but what has someone found here that they're willing to send this much hardware all this distance to claim?"

Kitten:
David Crain:
OOC: I haven't looked to confirm, but I'm pretty sure we were all told to record whatever we could as evidence of Team Banzai's war crimes.

OOC2: What's on this quiet, out-of-the-way planet that someone wants badly enough they're willing to commit two companies of mechs here???


1)  Some have... some havent... none of it is handy.

2)  More than two companies it would seem.  There were mechs on planet, and two more unions are dropping in it seems.

1) That's what I thought, Kitten.  I was more curious about the 'have' part than the 'handy' part for the moment, if only to back up Henriette's claim.

2) Seems someone has found something really exciting and they're determined to get it.
Kitten
 GM, 954 posts
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 04:47
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Everyone gets to make a base mental check, modified by either a weapon spec, tactics or leadership, at this point to see how well they do in the skirmish.

(We arent playing this out, i refuse to waste time setting up a mission that you cant possibly win.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:49, Tue 19 Nov 2013.

Henriette Karlsdottir
 player, 277 posts
 callsign: Shield maiden
 Ld: 2, Mirage
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 04:59
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
ooc: can edge be applied here, if we didn't use it for any of the socuting checks?

Mental+tactics roll: 6+, tactics 1 = 5+
Roll: 4 Fail
Reroll if permitted: 8, Success


05:56, Today: Henriette Karlsdottir rolled 4 using 2d6 with rolls of 2,2. 5+ mental 2+tactics 1.
05:56, Today: Henriette Karlsdottir rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 4,4. 5+ check, edge reroll if permitted.
David Crain
 player, 173 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 05:47
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Mental + energy spec. = 6 - 1 = 5+

22:47, Today: David Crain rolled 6 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,3. Mental check, TN 5+.
Zoe Hargrieve
 player, 32 posts
 R0: First Ranker
 Callsign: Dirtnap
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 06:35
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (East)
It looked like Team Banzai blinked first, causing Dirtnap to grin wolfishly as she saw the Battlemechs leave their fortifications to get those crucial last few meters into weapon's range.

"Alright Princess, let's see if we can draw 'em out just a little further, then pick a target and I'll help you hammer 'im down while hunting for his flanks." she primed the lasers on her 'Mech as she maneuvered for position, "This is Team Banzai's first engagement against the Detroit Militia.  Lets be sure to give 'em a proper greeting!"
01:32, Today: Zoe Hargrieve rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 2,6. Mental Check +Tactics, TN 5+. (Pass)

This message was last updated by the player at 21:02, Wed 20 Nov 2013.

Roger Simms
 player, 49 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 13:09
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
 Shifting slightly he volleyed missiles at the incoming enemy, very glad to not have to dig them out of their protective enclosures.

07:06, Today: Roger Simms rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 4,4. Mental chk+missle-1= TN 5+(pass)

This message was last edited by the player at 13:10, Tue 19 Nov 2013.

Echo Snow
 Alt, 92 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Princess
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 13:28
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
"Oh...oh..oh.. they're shooting at me!", Princess complains vocaly when they start shooting at them at more than double the effective range of her weapons.

"That's hardly sporting!", Echo's locust starts to tack about in an unpredictable zig zag fashion, her feet stomped down hard on the pedals, easing up only enough to cut this way or that at high speeds.

"Someone make them stop!"

08:25, Today: Echo Snow rolled 5 using 2d6 with rolls of 2,3. Mental check + 1 tactics = tn 6+.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:28, Tue 19 Nov 2013.

Lina Todd
 Alt, 112 posts
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 14:24
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Lina shook her head at Pax.  They were there to buy time for the infantry to take the dropship and boost with it.  Forcing the mechs to engage them when they didn't need to only cut the chances of their ability to do that.  Pulling out every stop she had she began to run electronic counter-measures since her weapons would always be woefully out of range.

The X3a might not have been designed for such things but since she had found their lance comms at least once before she figured some impromptu hacking and high decible signals would have their ears ringing and senses thrown off to help give them the time they needed as she danced her X3a in ways that it almost waasn't designed for.



---
09:17, Today: Lina Todd rolled 12 using 2d6 with rolls of 6,6. Mental. TN6+ Flawless Victory, take that real Team Banzi :P
Pax Tarkin
 player, 225 posts
 R1 Traxx G3/P4/M1 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Tue 19 Nov 2013
at 16:45
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Pax was impressed, he didn't expect them to go nuts that easily.  They were fast enough that if the dropship would lift off the enemy lance couldn't keep up with his lance and they could take out the fast mechs that tried to follow them.

But they needed to survive long enough for the ship to take off.


M1 +1tactics

08:41, Today: Pax Tarkin rolled 5 using 2d6 with rolls of 1,4. M1 + 1 tactics  if I roll high I'll figure it out
M1 is 7 -1 = TN 6  Fail
With edge I can PASS

This message was last edited by the player at 16:48, Tue 19 Nov 2013.

Kitten
 GM, 1357 posts
Thu 12 Dec 2013
at 16:34
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
The fighting at the Spaceport was fast and furious.

It was an ugly exchange, and the units they were facing off with seemed much better organized and trained.

Several units fall quickly into trouble early under the surprisingly aggressive and effective organization before them.  Only a brief respite by Lina manages to buy them a brief respite when she hacks into their comm line to wreck a little havok in their coordination.

It doesnt last though, as she finds out that the Op Force seemed technically savy when heavy metal rock music starts to play through the merc comm lines, disrupting their organization it quickly becomes obvious that it was time to leave.  La Trinite was boost off at this point and there was no point to linger about.

That was when the balance of Team Banzai dropped from the sky.  Fresh medium and heavy mechs appear in and around the merc formation and things are about to really get messy.

It's at this time that Lina gets an urgent message from Tamara urging her to surrender to the superior forces at the Spaceport.

With much reluctance, the order is given, and most of the mercs surrender at Lina's orders.  A few decide to make a run for it, and manage to slip away as the attention is focused on the main body of mercs surrendering.




When the dust clears, it becomes apparent that the two companies arriving at the spaceport are there to investigate reports that have filtered out to Avalon, of Team Banzai units operating in conducts that border on criminal.

The two fresh company of mechs establish a DMZ around the spaceport, until they complete their investigations.

Information and evidence are presented, and reviewed.  Team Banzai refutes the evidence, indicating that the units are frauds, and that all their units are accounted for on Avalon, or operations on the Combine front and welcome an investigation with the mercenary review board to clear their name.  It takes a few weeks to clear their story but it does become clear that Team Banzai are not the 'bad guys' here.

During this time, the Op Force on the planet have taken the lull to pack up and clear off the planet conceding control of the planet at this time.

Lina has a discussion with Tamara, who reveals to her that Pandora Intel places the blame of the incursion on Detriot on the Taurian Concordat.  A request has been made to take up an operational raid against them, to collect reparations for the damage they've cause on Detroit.  No direct connection must exist that Omni is involved in the operations, so mercenary units are being gathered and will be dropping on Burton.  A planet that is part of the Concordat and home to O-P Computer Electronics, a company that specializes in electronics.  Low Bulk/High value electronics make for an attractive resource to raid.  All profits from this operation will be donated to repair the damage done on Detroit.

Mission Three Roleplaying rewards
4xp Lina
2xp Regina
3xp Echo
3xp David
3xp Roger
2xp Lucius
4xp Pax
3xp Zoe
3xp Olaf
3xp Henriette ~> Anastatia

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:41, Thu 12 Dec 2013.

Kitten
 GM, 1358 posts
Thu 12 Dec 2013
at 16:42
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
The morning activity had been productive.

The mercenaries had dropped from space.  Pandora Intel had provided suspected high priority targets on the ground.  The Ironswords, Lancers, and Valkyries were slated with taking out the planetary C3 while the rest of the mercs made themselves visible and tied up patrols and reactionary assets.

The Spaceport was hit by the Lancers.  Not afraid to get dirty, the lancers were in and out in under a minute leaving the Control tower and refueling facilities a smoking mess.  Several heavy AMCs made and effort to stall them that had little effect.  The Heavy Tank Garrison was quick to respond, but not fast enough to stop the Lancers from completing their mission and departing before their heavy guns could be bought into play for the battle.  The Lancers actions have left traffic at the spaceport hopelessly snarled, and most of the dropships grounded, till fuel can be trucked in to be used, or repairs can be made on the refueling stations.

The Central broadcasting station was hit by the Valkyries.  The local garrison was caught aware early and quickly dealth with brutal laser fire.  Early on the nimble hover tanks were caught flat footed and destroyed, and the battle went quickly down hill from there.  A fast response lance of Hover Tanks sought to engage the Valkyries who fled through the heavily forested terrain to lose the pursuing tanks.

O-P Electronics HQ, is reported to be the center for the Global planetary defense, and the Iron Swords were handed the difficult assignment to take it out.  Reports of a brutal firefight with the local garrison have filtered back and the outcome of the encounter is still in doubt.

The remaining lancers were not left idle.  While less glamourous, their duties were every bit as important.  As the lay of the lands was taken in, and delaying tactics were made to confuse and stall planetary responses to the real targets.

"Beta" manages to fly several short sorties to scout out vast tracts of land and eventually settles on an out of the ways area appropriate for the merc units to gather. Local air assets force him to ground but not before he achieves his assignment.  Walking out the heavily wooded area, he discovers that it is perfect for the mercs to use as a temporary haven.  Cover from the air, with easily observed approach and multi routes of escape should they be needed.

Raith scouts out the locals bases, looking for a likely target to hit.  They were going to need a place to resupply and make repairs really soon, and he believes he has found it.  The Locals refer to it as 'Fort Apache', mostly because it seems to be out in the boonies, and the only military asset in the area for miles around.  He leaves the base alone, none the wiser that they have been scouted and moves on to review other targets that might be of interest to the mercs.

Elsewhere around the planet the freelancer members of the unit pull their weight and do their best to snarl up logisitcs and stall the local planetary efforts to corner and engage the mercs with superior numbers and forces.

As the day wears on, the mercs gather around a heavily wooded map grid that has been codenamed 'Haven' for operational purposes.

Along with the Lancers and Valkyries, many Freelancers check in to reacquaint with friendly faces, trade news, effect repairs and catchup on much needed rest as discussions are made on the progress of the day and implementation of the next phase of operations.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:10, Thu 12 Dec 2013.

Regina Arlington
 player, 161 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Thu 12 Dec 2013
at 23:44
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
The attack on the spaceport had gone well.  The lancers had gone in done what needed to be done, and departed quickly.  A good thing since the Heavy Tanks response time was much quicker than expected.

They were now park in a rather peaceful forest, a place where the war machines that dotted the terrain here and there had been carefully netted to provide some cover from aerial recon.  It hardly seemed to matter the leaves and branches were thick providing excellent shade and cover.

"The Foot actuator... connect to the ankle actuator...
 The Ankle actuator... connect to the shin strut...
 The shin struts connected to the the knee actuator...
", she sings cheerfully to herself as she goes about the battlefield repairs.

She had taken signficant damage during the run of the mission, but so had Avenger.  She was going to be busy for a bit with repairs.  She didnt mind, she felt closer to Blake when she was working on her Valkyrie which made her happy.

The spark of the welding torch clicks noisily to life before a thin heated flame of super heated plasma welds the bits of armor against the gaping holes and missing bits of melted armor that were in and around the legs of her mech.

"... so eth... say eth... the Blake..."
Lina Todd
 Alt, 194 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Iron Maiden
Fri 13 Dec 2013
at 16:42
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Taking advantage of the efficient supply drops Lina spot welded the damage on her X3's leg and the pockmark on her torso made from the exploding SRM missiles.  Lina had taken minimal damage for all practical purposes at least compared to Echo.  For whatever reason for her it was like throwing chum into the water when sharks were circling.

Shaking her head at the thought and smiling mischeviously she realized that Echo needed a new callsign and 'Chum' was high on her list.  With her so busy welding almost two tons of armour on her own X3, Lina stealed away once she was done and used her welding gun to arc-weld 'Chum' on her X3's rear.  There was nothing but good fun in simply maring the surface of the armour without doing any real damage.  With a little giggle she returned to her X3 to run the startup procedures and make sure she was ready for whatever happened next...
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 513 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Mon 16 Dec 2013
at 14:34
Re: Post Mission Three Roleplaying (West)
Welding on just over a half-ton of armour to the gaping hole that the autocannon round had caused left Luc tired and sore...he could swear that the plugsuit that he had worn back on Detroit was still zapping him from time to time.  His errant commentary about Echo's cute arse and shooting it had earned him so many shots hitting him that he was not only covered in paint from head to toe but there was no part of him that escaped from the electrical shocks that the suit had given him.

Still it was a cute arse.
Kitten
 GM, 1752 posts
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 19:37
Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
The interim set of missions goes off well.

The Light Lancers, execute a raid mission to destory militia assets, and to draw attention away from the rest of the missions being executed.  They manage to destroy all their targets, though Pax is not totally satisfied, since the raid ran into more snags than expected.  It was time to shake up the unit.  He keeps the newest member, Donovan and adding Jessa, while releasing David and Regina to the Freelancer pool.

The Iron Swords return to finish off the Command center that they missed earlier in the day. Making excellent use of the days intelligence to execute under the cover of night the mission quickly goes off, despite the presence of a formidable lance.  Under the medical care provided for at Fort Apache, Zoe is deemed unfit for duty, and Lucius takes over the Iron Swords keeping Alexi on and adding Raith to the unit, while releasing Roger to the Freelancer Pool.

The Valkyries have a messy assault.  The minefield and chain link fence proving to be more hazardous than expected.  With the addition of Hina, they find the Comm Center quickly and silence it.  From there it's only a matter of time for the Valkyries superior firepower to silence the op force.  Anastasia is disappointed with Echo's performance and decides to release her to spend some time in the Free Lancers to see if it improves her professionalism.

Kurt Steiner knows an opportunity when he sees one, and gathers several of the released talent in the free lancers to form Armaggedon Inc.  David and Roger join him to form the fledgingly unit.

The Freelancers Lancers currently include Paul, Regina, Jorge, and Echo.

The Pilots spend the night gathered in Fort Apache, and spend the next day dividing up supplies and making repairs.  While the mess hall fare is uninspiring, it is fresh and warm, and better than the freeze dried stuff that they've been living off of.  Small luxaries like a proper rest room and showers are present.

Upon closer inspection of the supplies, they find a surprised to find advance weapons in the stockpile.  An amazing turn of events since the outpost is so out of the way.  Upon closer investigation they discover that the unassuming base has recently been used to fit out captured Eden Tech on mechs for testing, with the intention of reverse engineering them for mass production.

Something that your employers definitely do not want to see happen, so all research is destroyed at Fort Apache, and the test mechs are assigned, with the intention of hunting them down and eliminating them.
Echo Snow
 Alt, 242 posts
 R1 - Space Cadet
 Callsign - 'Princess'
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 19:45
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Echo quietly goes about the morning repairing the damage her Power Loader had suffered in the night of activity to take the Fort.  As she does, she reflects on her new status as a 'Free Lancer'.

It was humiliating.

'How could Anastasia do that... to me?  ME!', She was at this time forced to spend time in the Freelancer pool and languish over serving with the other inner sphere pilots.

'meh... as if that was going to happen...'

The Valkyrie Pilot was so far out, that she made Echo look normal.

The Mongoose Pilot needed to wash some of the grease out of his hair... and... okay maybe he wasnt oggling her, but something about the way his eyes looked just freaked her out.

The Noble with the Stinger kept struting around like he was the divine's gift to merc unit, and had a bigger attitude than her.  It was a pool of freaks, oddballs, cuts ups, and... spoiled brats... surely... Anastasia didnt think so badly of her to stick her in here, thinking she was among her peers did she?
Regina Arlington
 player, 191 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 19:51
Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Regina stifles a yawn as she walks from the shower to the mess hall.  It was nice to be clean again.  She had forgotten how refreshing a nice a quick warm shower could be.  She had even dug up some clothing from the militia's store of clothes.

She shows up at the camps kitten, to grab a tray full of veggies and some juice for breakfast.

She also thought, it was also rather nice to be a Free Lancer.  No ties... no troubles... just responsible for herself.  The experience of being part of a greater whole was over rated.  It just meant other people told you what you had to do... right or wrong.

Regina purses her lips thoughtfully, she only answers to Blake.  It was much easier to do that when you didnt have to answer a chain of command.  Maybe... with the right unit... she might reconsider joining a collective, but for the moment she was rather happy just to be a Free Lancer.  Of course individual freedoms came at a cost, but... anything worth while usually did.

Regina munches noisily on something that resembled a stalk of celery and watched as the camp went about their business, wondering what they would be doing next.
Roger Simms
 player, 134 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 20:03
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
 Satisfied that no one was seriously injured and the team had not only done the mission but had gained in reputation for not wanting to harm any civilians directly in the path of the battle. It was stupid to have that many civilians within a military target and not have deep listening post's to watch the borders of the base. Still he was glad for that lapse of their commander.

 He had showered and changed uniforms in the basic BDUs before taking a walk over the base hospital unit to check up on his former CO. Checking to see if it was ok to say hello to Zoe, he would do so if they allowed visitors now that he was in another unit.

 "Hi, Commander, just thought i would stop in and see how your doing and to wish you the best and to really hope you get on your feet quickly. I will be transfered to a newly formed unit, so you wont have my small fire power now but you still have Burner, so that will make up for some of it. Take care and get well."
Lina Todd
 Alt, 242 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Iron Maiden
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 20:20
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Lina watched Roger come into the makeshift hospital to talk to his old CO...she was only there because...well honestly she had torn herself to shreds without the help of the enemy units.  The doc said concussion and three fractured ribs were the result of her shameful tripping on the fence.  Her lower body was wrapped, as there was little they could do for the fractures but try and make sure she didn't move too suddenly or in an awkward way and make it worse.  She didn't even know if Ana was willing to take her out on the next mission that was critical for them.
Paul Cullars
 player, 63 posts
 Callsign: Beta
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 20:25
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Paul hummed as he polished the armor plating on the his Stinger's left leg trying to remove the dings left from the Thunder Bolt's attacks. "You know girl we didn't do to bad out there. Now we just wait for the lab guys to send back the software changes the conversion process doesn't seem to like your guns," he chuckled as he patted the torso armor as the lift carried him in range to begin cleaning it.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 655 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 20:38
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Luc had stopped by the med-tent to let Zoe know about his decision to take operational control of the Ironswords but she was asleep at the time.  He left a note about how the unit was doing and his efforts in the short term to keep what she had started running.  Heading out he went looking for Alexi to commend him on the brokered deal with the Captain and not only his decision to handle the logistics of the lance but his intention to make Alexi XO of the Ironswords.  They needed a legacy and more importantly Luc needed the conscious of Alexi to run the lance right.

When he finally spotted him he pipped up, "Alexi! You have a moment?"
Hina Hitomi
 player, 28 posts
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 21:20
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Hina skipped into the infirmary, humming happily to herself. Her arms were covered past the elbows in some sort of grease; the heavy gloves she wore were clean, which implied that she put them on after getting messy. In her hands was a long device, mostly a series of metal tubes linked together, with a claw-like device on one end and a convoluted handle on the other.

"Hi, Lina!" she sang as she sprang up to the bunk. "I made you something so you could do some stuff without having to get up." She offered the grabber device handle-first.

Her next comments were delivered in a rush, with barely a pause for breath.

"I hope you don't mind, but I took a look at your Mech's innards while I was working on mine. After I raked the pavement, I had to check that. Turned out the focusing laser on my left side was off-kilter by a bit. Anyway, I did some tests and found out that your balancing gyro had a two-degree wobble on its Y axis. Probably made everything list to starboard a bit, am I right?"
Lina Todd
 Alt, 243 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Iron Maiden
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 21:39
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
With a slight smile she looked up at Hina and nodded, "After the initial fall it knocked it out of alignment.  Combine it with the concussion and like the history books read, I was swaying like a drunken sailor."

She chuckled and then her eyes squinted in a slightly pained nature as laughing still hurt...and likely would for a few weeks...when she gratefully took the grabber device, "Thanks for the extend-o-claw"
Alexi Olson
 player, 133 posts
 Callsign - 'Stalker'
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 21:49
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Alexi walked through the halls samurai sword & pistol on his side. The mercenaries family dates back to the old Samarkand Military District. A strange sight to see a Swedish Russian Samurai vs. the typical holovid of a traditional Samurai.

Seeing Lucius has interesting speaking causally in the halls, he relaxes. "How can I help you Lucius? Can I call you Luke? Or do you prefer McMurphy or just Mac?"
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 658 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 22:00
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
"Luc is good.  Wanted to congratulate you on whatever quick talking you did to the Captain.  Saved us a pounding and gave the Ironswords a good rep at the same time."

Before now he had a gruff exterior, and even now it sounded more like a Sergeant chatting with a fellow NCO but there was a subtle change in his tone that Alexi wouldn't notice yet.  He leaned up against a wall and continued, "I talked to Zoe in one of the few times she was awake and she agreed that you're good XO material.  Since I'm going to be holding the reigns of the Ironswords, for the time being, I wanted to make you officially the XO for the unit while I run things.  Zoe knew I was an efficient asset destroyer but I don't have the skill with words you do, nor the good demeanor so I'll need someone like you to give me options that I don't see.  You up for that?"
Alexi Olson
 player, 134 posts
 Callsign - 'Stalker'
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 22:17
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Slightly over eager and surprised the young Mechwarrior all bu jumped at the offer. Quickly getting his eagerness in check. "If you and Zoe think I am ready, I except. And I got lucky on that one, the Captain knew the end game. He made me look better than I really was."

Thinking a moment, "If you have a list of duties I need to take care of let me know?"
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 659 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 23:19
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Luc laughed, "When it comes to mechwarriors, lucky is sometimes just as good as skill.  The point is you thought it up and I didn't...that's the important thing, and why you'll be a good fit.  I'll want you to point those things out to me if you see them."

After he asked if he could do anything he nodded, "Yeah you can as a matter of fact.  I'm getting the lowdown on the next series of contract goals.  See if you can find a pilot named Raith Northrup.  Rides a Jenner.  He's going to be with us at least for the next jaunt."  He paused for a second before adding, "...and see if you can find a sweet honey that goes by the name Reggie.  Let her know from me that if Blake was around he'd adore her perfect arse, but love her faith even more...and let me know what you think of her from the response she gives."

He grinned, "And if you think this is a hazing, keep wondering, but see to it..."

He waited for his response before heading out to the HQ that had been setup to find out what their options were.  He could make a pretty good determination on his own but he wanted his men and women's ideas most of the time too.
Alexi Olson
 player, 135 posts
 Callsign - 'Stalker'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 14:32
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
"Roger that, Sir." Alexi says with a snap salute.
Heading to the command center "See if you can find a sweet honey that goes by the name Reggie."
"Reggie, Reggie I've heard of a Regina, Reggie is Regina and she is a sweet ass honey."
"I need to let her know from, Luke that if Blake was around he'd adore her perfect ass."

Once he's in the command center, he pulls up the file on Raith and Regina. Looking over there photo, he can now recognize them at a glance. Reading quickly about each he gets the basic low down. Putting files back he heads towards the mech bays, " Luke says Reggie has a sweet honey sexy ass."

Walking through the bays, he stops and stairs at the family mech Riki. "Great job ole'boy."

Turning he sees Raith by his Jenner, "Mechwarrior Northrop, I am the new XO Alexi Olson." Responding by shaking hands, or salute which he does.
"Lucius McMurphy is our commanding officer and I just wanted to take the time to check out your mech and its condition. Excuse me, while you get your mech in order for inspection and a list of needed items. I see someone I need to speak too."

Noticing Regina, he steps away from Raith.

Stepping up to Regina, "Reggie? Luke and Blake say you have a sweet honey ass, and I need to get me some."
Kurt Steiner
 player, 121 posts
 R3 - 1st LT
 Call Sign - Odin
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 15:04
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Kurt sat at a table in the Mess Hall he had appropriated for a workspace; sipping bad coffee and reviewing paperwork.  Everything was laid out on the desk in a precise, meticulous, orderly fashion.  The space was a reflection of Kurt himself.  After arriving at Fort Apache, he had secured his Commando, gotten a shower, and changed into a fresh, pressed, uniform.  He immediately went to work on reviewing his brand new command.  He had chosen the name "Armageddon Incorporated" specifically as a thumb in the eye to the social Generals back home.  Many of them would view his lance as little more than an armoured infantry platoon.  The Lyran idea of a light 'Mech was the twin Griffins that stood beside the Archon's throne on Tharkad.  Kurt had other ideas though, and picked the members of his unit accordingly.  Reviewing his notes, he collected up his items and left to find David and Roger.

He went to the 'Mech bay looking for them, and made a brief stop at his 'Mech cubical to check on the repairs.  He winced when he saw the Techs working on what remained of the Commando's left arm.  Little more than the actuators and barely enough substructure to keep them from falling off.  The Medium Laser was completely destroyed and would need replacement.  That was going to be a costly repair.  The remainder of the unit was battle ready, only some minor armour damage and buffing stood between it and full readiness.  Hopefully the Techs would be able to work repair magic before Kurt would be re-deployed.

When he was not able to find David or Roger in the 'Mech bay, Kurt used his weapon of last resort.  He acted like an officer and put out an order.  "Mechwarriors David Crain and Roger Simms report to Conference Room 3 for briefing."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:08, Thu 16 Jan 2014.

Roger Simms
 player, 135 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 15:24
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
 Lifting up his com link at the sound of his new unit commander, "Roger that Commander, on my way." At least he still had a job after getting the boot from the new CO of the Iron Swords unit. Maybe he would be around for awhile to get to know the pilots and techs of this unit.

 Setting a slow jog he began running at a even pace towards the conference room. He was sure that his mechs armor would be patched up by the time they shipped out on the next mission.
Regina Arlington
 player, 192 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 16:14
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Alexi Olson:
Noticing Regina, he steps away from Raith.

Stepping up to Regina, "Reggie? Luke and Blake say you have a sweet honey ass, and I need to get me some."


Regina tilts her head and gives Alexi a blank eyed puzzled look.

'Who were Luke and Blake?', she wonders.

While Alexi was easy on the eyes and a strapping young man, she had just gotten through cleaning herself off with a good shower, and she wasnt quite ready to get hot and sweaty again.  Besides, she just had breakfast, and exercise after a major meal was never good for the digestion.

"I dont think that would be a good idea.  I just ate and i have to do some work on my Valkyrie after breakfast."

Regina pauses and thinks over her work schedule.

"How about... this afternoon?  Around four-ish?"

Regina was about done with breakfast and gets up to size Alexi over, she was by no means petite, but beside Alexi she looked willowy.  She lets the tips of her fingers brush down his arm, allowing the play of his muscles to play through her fingers.  Alexi was obviously hard muscles and in good shape, but then again what self respecting mechwarrior wasnt?

"Or... three-ish, if you can't wait."

Regina picks up her tray and goes to empty it in the trash and stack with the rest of the breakfast trays.  She starts to move off out of the mess hall.  There was an unmistakable unconscious motion of her hips when she walked that was missing in the stride of most of the mechwarriors at camp.  It was hard to disagree with Lucius' assessment of Regina.

When she stop to turn to face Alexi, his eyes are staring straight at her crotch, letting his gaze wander up, he notices that the thin white tank top she had worn, had soaked up some of the water from her not quite dry skin from the morning shower.  The nondescript grey militia jump suit hid all the good parts, though that seemed to be more of an accident than a planned attempt at modesty.  Regina had said something, that Alexi had missed, so she repeats it again since he seemed to have missed the question.

"Who are Luke and Blake?", she asks curiously.  There were no mechwarriors in camp by that name, so she was curious who Alexi was refering to.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:23, Thu 16 Jan 2014.

Alexi Olson
 player, 136 posts
 Callsign - 'Stalker'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 16:43
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
"Ahhh. Ahhh." Alexi's mouth works like a fish out of water. "What the hell did I just say?"

"Lucius McMurphy he said to call him Luke and I don't know who Blake is. But Blake adores you is what I was told to tell you. Yeah, yeah."

Taken back by her forwardness or his own. "What the hell did I just say? What the hell did she just say?"

"I'm the new XO and I, I have somewhere to be also. Yeah, raincheck. Hump, Ok. Good talk."

Alexi turns and walks away, facepalm. Alexi walks off.
Regina Arlington
 player, 193 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 16:59
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
"Ah!  Burner!", Regina's face brightens in recognition.  She knew Burner from Detroit.  What a miserable few months that had been.  Once the invasion started, things got nasty and complicated.

Regina tilts her head as Alexi has a momentary attack of the stupids.

He wasnt very bright... but he was pretty to look at and didnt need to be bright, at least not for a physical indulgence.  Most days the word of Blake kept Regina occupied and content.  Months could pass before she found physical satisfaction.  Long months on stupid dropships with little privacy and nothing to do.  Its been months... maybe years... since the last time Regina indulged in a physical indulgence.

"Blake's Blessing on you Alexi, his love knows no bounds, and he adores us all."

Regina gives Alexi a quizzled look as he staggers off looking dazed and confused...

'... was it something i said?', Regina wanders off towards the motor pool where her Valkyrie awaited.

Regina replays the conversation several times in her head, and assures herself that she had said nothing strange.

'... no... nothing odd there, couldnt have been me.  I suppose he's just naturally dim.  Blake has seen it fit to have him look good and shoot straight, i suppose that's okay.  How did it go again?  Two out of Three's not bad?'

There was a little bit of armor damage from the light weapons but nothing a little loving care couldnt fix.  A few loads of missiles were used to take out the tanks, but again... it was such a turkey shoot that she hardly considered it combat.

She starts to bless each missile, painting a simplified emblem of Comstar on the warhead of each missile, before loading it on her mech.  So passes her afternoon.  She'll have forgotten her conversation with Alexi unless he returns to remind her.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Thu 16 Jan 2014.

Donovan O'Brien
 player, 145 posts
 Whitworth
 Callsign: Lucky
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 17:07
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
After overseeing the armor and ammo repair/replacement of his mech, O'Brien decides to check out the base and to acquaint himself with his new surroundings.

"Better check up on Zoe", he proceeds to the hospital and stops at Zoe's bedside offering her some morale support and wishes her a healthy recovery. Hearing that Luc was taking over the Ironswords, Donovan sends a congratulatory note.

"Although it is under sad circumstances that you find yourself in command of the Ironswords, I want to congratulate you on your advancement and I'm sure that your unit will provide the same excellent service that has been it's trademark."

Once that is done, it's time to find his new "permanent" commander, Pax.

After a bit of searching, eventually he finds Pax.

"I want to thank you for offering me a job and I'm looking forward to working with the lancers. Hopefully our next mission will go as smoothly as the last."
David Crain
 player, 269 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 19:33
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
David was feeling neutral about the command shift.  He liked working with his previous group but also realized that commands would change and one had to be flexible.  Apparently his new commander didn't waste time, "Well, I suppose this was inevitable, better see what the new commander wants."
Alexi Olson
 player, 138 posts
 Callsign - 'Stalker'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 19:37
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)

Alexi goes to his room and takes a shower.



Afterwards he spends the day repairing the armor on Riki. He's not avoiding everyone hes just working the scaffolding, plasma cutter / wielding torch, heavy lifting. Funny thing, he must have forgotten his radio in his room. His entertainment pod and earbuds are playing the best of Beatles,Rolling Stones, ABBA, Sugarcubes, Scorpions, Golden Earring, etc. All the classic European music bands.
Pax Tarkin
 player, 377 posts
 R3 Traxx G3/P4/M2 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 19:43
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Pax was working his way through a mountain of 'paper work' when Don found him.

"Glad you were able to stick around.

I try to do all our missions smoothly, but as you saw with a good team we can adjust to the conditions on the ground and still complete the mission without missing a beat.

And I hope to keep that trend for all future missions."   

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 666 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 20:02
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Luc had gotten the down-low on the next mission and had used his prior knowlege of things to pick up the final member of his unit.  With that he headed back to the mechs to find out if Alexi had found Raith and Regina and to clue them into the next contract.

He didn't see Raith at the moment but he did spot Alexi in the throes of armour welding so he walked on up to him and shouted a bit so he could hear him over the sparking metal, "Alexi!  Did you find Raith and Regina?"
Alexi Olson
 player, 139 posts
 Callsign - 'Stalker'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 20:37
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Pointing at his head then for him to hold on. Alexi kills the music and pulls the ear buds from his head. Alexi hand under hand climbs down a chain to the ground level.

"I say Raith, introduced myself but he seemed the quiet type." He breathes in deep and exhales.
"Let me tell you a quick story. Before I came here I worked for my fathers company, Riki was his mech. My uncle had a Panther, My father was incredible cheap. He purchased some special promotional Lioashian SRM's. Well I loaded them in to uncles Panther. He took them out to the test range, and they exploded in the launch tubes and we lost the mech, lucky my Uncle ejected and survived but his pride was hurt."

"So yes I talked to Regina and passed on your message, pretty much word for word. Might not have been in the right order. She said, He loves and adores us all."

"Oh yeah, then offered to have sex with me if I meet her...
Looking down at his watch. "about 20 minutes ago. Well she didn't so much offer as I screwed up what you said, and was taken back by her and said: "I need to get me some of that sweet sexy ass."

Facepalm, shakes head. "Laugh it up all you like. I got confused."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:57, Thu 16 Jan 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 667 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 20:53
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Luc waited patiently for Alexi to turn off the mucis and fill him in on the job he had set to him.  He listened to his short commentary on Raith, as he hadn't spotted him yet, and then the short story.  Nodding sagely during the story Alexi finally got to the part about Regina and initially he was expecting her response, but it was his confusion and what he told her that made him really start laughing.

Clasping his hand on Alexi's shoulder and the soft chuckles continuing to come from Luc's belly he finally spoke up again, "I don't think I'm ever going to forget that Alexi.  We don't need you to get any more confused so I'll go and let her know that she's working with us on this next mission."

He shook his head and laughed some more before adding through continued chuckles, "We're going to be going out and hunting a Blackjack that's been modified with some of the special tech.  Advanced ballistics and some lasers.  If we don't destroy the weapons on the mech in taking it down we're allowed to salvage them for our unit, so keep that in mind."

Luc just couldn't stop laughing as he coughed out a few more times before going mostly silent on the laughter, "Right, I'll go handle the sweet sexy ass for you and if Raith comes around give him the low-down."

As he walked away another light chuckle could be heard followed by fading words,  "Ah, the burdens of command and the things you do for your men..."
Raith Northop
 player, 24 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 21:01
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)

This message was deleted by the player at 21:39, Thu 16 Jan 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 668 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 21:47
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Turning from his mission to fill in Regina when he hears Raith's voice he stopped his movement.  Looking back at the man he nodded his head, "Good to have you Raith.  We're a little more informal around here with me in charge...I'm more NCO than Officer unofficially but I know my way around a fight so we should do just fine.  You can call me Luc whenever were not in our mechs, when we're on an op just keep it to Burner.  Wouldn't want any crafty enemy to break our comms and find out who is in control and pick me out to take out...not that my combat style keeps me in the rear."

He chuckled again at the inside joke that Raith wouldn't get but Alexi would from their conversation, "Alexi is XO for the Ironswords and your go-to guy if I'm not around.  I just gave him the brief and we'll see if he can breif you as well as he did Regina..."

He grinned again, "I'll be back.  Could be in a few, could be a few hours..."  Luc waited long enough for him to respond before hunting down Regina.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 670 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 22:03
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Luc blinked...

Blinked again...

And again...

He could have sworn that Raith was there...

He turned around and looked for him but couldn't find him.

He squeezed his eyes shut for a moment and opened them again...nothing.

Shaking his head he realized he needed to clear his mind it seemed...and maybe go see a doc to find out if he had a concussion.  With a final shake of his head he walked off to find Regina polishing missiles and doodling ComStar logo's on them before slipping them into the missile bays.  She had a killer body but it was her killer instinct that attracted him, "You frazzled the brain of my poor XO Regina...Blakes Blessing to you."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:37, Thu 16 Jan 2014.

Regina Arlington
 player, 196 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 22:51
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Regina was actually enjoying herself.  She had spent a good half hour doodling comstar emblems on each missile.  They were Blake's blessings and ensured that those she sent on to the afterlife were absolved of their sins here.

She found that her aim was better when her conscience was clear of concern of the sins of those she sent to their next calling.  There were little splotches of blue, white, and yellow on her hands and jumpsuit.

She looks up and gives Lucius an innocent look of puzzlement.

"Blake's blessings on you Burner.", she returns his greeting without thought.  Long association from Detroit made Lucius made him one of the few people on the planet that Regina actually could recall without significant thought.

"Your... XO?  I'm not sure i understand.  It's been a rather quiet day, i've been doing Blake's work.  I havent had much opportunity to...", she thinks about it for a moment, what did Lucius just accuse her of.

"... do ... much of anything else?", Regina comments.  Her voice drifting off hinting that she real was answering honestly and not being coy at the moment.

"It's not to be able to shower and sleep in a real bed again... or ... cot... or something.  I get stuck sleeping with all those mechwarriors from Omni though.  They have nice toys, but I dont think they're right in the head."
Paul Cullars
 player, 68 posts
 Callsign: Beta
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 22:57
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Paul smiled as he climbed out of his transformed into aero mode Stinger to stencil his callsign back onto the freshly repainted Stinger. He hummed as he recalled his jump's sluggish response time the previous day.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 671 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 00:11
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Luc smiled easily, "Yeah, Alexi, young guy was wearing a katana earlier that totally butchered my message to you and ended up mashing it together to make I need to get me some of that sweet sexy ass?"
Regina Arlington
 player, 197 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 00:21
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
"Oh?

 He's your new XO?
", Regina tilts her head thoughtful for a moment.

"He's not very bright.  You must be desperate.", she comments offhand speaking her mind.  It wasnt accusatory or even meant as an insult, just a statement of fact.  Most days, it was hard to accuse Regina of not speaking her mind.

Regina purses her lips and leans over a warhead to blow on the paint to help it to dry.  Giving zero thought to how suggestive this might seem from someone else's view point.

She touches the paint and notes that it's dry, hinting at why she had paint all over her fingers.

"Well, it's not my fault if he got his feelings hurt.  He came and asked if i was interested.  I just finished breakfast so i said no, it's bad for the digestion to exercise after eating.  I told him...  I told him...", Regina actually has to think about this.

"mmmm... i told him to come by 'later'...", Regina purses her lips trying to figure out if later came and went yet.  Certainly by tomorow it would be past later.

After a moment she tries a different tact to change the topic to something else, "Is that all you wanted to talk about then?  Oh... hey... say... when did you start a unit?  I missed the memo.  No one tells me this stuff, honestly i'm always the last to know.", Regina complains.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 673 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 00:40
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Luc sat down and replied, "Yeah he said later I came in his stead cause he was confused.  Well if I could have you I would take you in a moment." he mentioned with a straight face amused at it's innuendo but slipping easily between flat serious and that.

Tilting his head he added, "I didn't so much as start the unit as inherit it.  Zoe Hargrieve put together Hargrieve's Ironswords but got herself beaten up so badly in her mech that she's going to be out of it for a long, long time.  If I didn't step in it would have fallen apart.  So now it's McMurphy's Ironswords and I'm here to letcha know in person that I picked up your short term contract meaning that your all mine till we get done taking down a mech that stole some of those Omni toys that those Pandora people don't want getting out.  I couldn't think of a better person to be with me on the maiden voyage of my command."

He had sworn up and down while on Detroit that all the commanders were morons...and he he was now one of them.  Gods...if he ever became like Pax he'd have to have Regina shoot him in the head...
Raith Northop
 player, 25 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Dust Storm
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 03:20
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Raith had been hard to find mostly due to the fact that he had been taking advantage of the hot food. He had been off scouting in his Jenner previous to the mission at Fort Apache so had an appetite the size of an AMC.

But with that done, it now ment that he was back in the cockpit of his Jenner. However this time he was just guiding his machine over to stand with the others in the Ironswords unit. He knew someone had come by to tell him this earlier while he was eating, but he knew better then to talk with his mouth full so all he did was listen and then shake the man's hand.

Once the Jenner came to a stop and the engines cooled off, the hatch was soon popped and Raith was out clammering over the armored exterior. Serious inspection was given to the Left Torso which had several missile hits on the armored surface. Which ment the armor would have to go and be replaced, out came the tools and work on the damage began.
Regina Arlington
 player, 198 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 03:31
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
"Death to the infidels~!", Regina comments swirling her paintbrush in the air as if it were a scimitar.

"Sure Murphy.  What ever you need.  I get to pick my callsign right?
 I think for this one i shall  go with 'Soothing littany unto Terra'.

 Comstar has interdicted the Feder Rats...

 Sounds like things are messy in 'civilized' space.  Glad were out here in the boonies.  Leave the world shaking stuff for... you know bigger heads than ours.
"

Regina gave Murphy a side long look.

"You will let me use my callsign right?  I keep picking out these great callsigns but they always call me Reggie.  Blaphemous heretics i swear."
Roger Simms
 player, 137 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 03:35
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
 Walking into conference room 3, he looked around for the commander and spotted him by a table. He walked over with sharp moves and tried to look like a military man should look to his mind..

 He stop and took up a brace position, "Commander, i am Roger Simms, you gave me a call?."
Kurt Steiner
 player, 126 posts
 R3 - 1st LT
 Call Sign - Odin
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 04:29
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Roger Simms:
Walking into conference room 3, he looked around for the commander and spotted him by a table. He walked over with sharp moves and tried to look like a military man should look to his mind..

 He stop and took up a brace position, "Commander, i am Roger Simms, you gave me a call?."

Kurt motioned to Roger and David to enter when they stood at the door.  Kurt stood up and greeted both Mechwarriors.  "Let me first begin by stating something very clearly.  You were not dumped out of your previous commands for any poor performance.  You were released to me because I specifically requested you be re-assigned to my new command."  He motioned for them sit down.  He took the head position at the oblong conference table and continued.  "The need came down from command that a new lance be formed.  Due to my training, I was chosen to lead it.  I want to welcome you both to Armageddon Incorporated."  Kurt folded his hands on the table and looked the others in the eye.  "The next thing you have to understand is that I'm a Lyran.  I know the old joke about the Lyran's ideal scout 'Mech is an Atlas, but I don't subscribe to that theory.  I have spent time reviewing your dossiers and your individual 'Mechs and I feel we can be a force to be reckoned with.  With proper tactics even an Atlas cannot stand against us."  Kurt unfolded his hands and let them rest on the table.

"In that vein, I expect my orders to be followed; they will come fast and can change in the middle of things as the battle dictates.  Make no mistake gentlemen, I'm in charge.  That said, I don't expect you to be drones; I expect you to be sharp and think for yourselves.  You see an opportunity, you take it."  Standing up, Kurt moved to a display screen and brought up a battle plan.  He marked out an enemy formation and then, turning toward David, he says "Ok, basic strategy.  David, your Jenner is fast, and maneuverable.  You've modified it to be a dangerous in-fighter.  This is where I expect you to be.  Up close and in the enemy's face.  I expect you to use your lasers to punch holes in their armour for our missiles to follow."  Kurt put up a marker for David's Jenner tight into the enemy formation.  He turns his focus to Roger "Roger, your Valkyrie is jump capable.  I expect you to take the high ground when possible, and stay back at 210 plus meters.  Use your missiles range and watch for flankers on David and Myself.  In other words, bring the rain."  Another indicator lights up showing Roger back from the enemy.  "This brings me to myself.  I'll be in the middle position, offering support to where it is needed most.  If I can, I will be sending missiles in behind David's lasers, if the enemy presses the advance on Roger" he pressed a button and the formations changed "I will move to intercept before they can close under the minimum range of your LRM's.  Any Freelancers we get will also fill in one of these three positions, as I feel will best help us take the objective."  Taking his seat again, Kurt looks the other men in the eyes.  "Any questions?"
Roger Simms
 player, 138 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 04:36
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
 He let the question hang for a few seconds before shaking his head in the negative."No sir, i am thinking i don't want to be hit by the atlas's ac20 if i can avoid it." He adds with a smile that was open and knowing he would not be going against any assault mech if he could be in its blind side.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 676 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 15:09
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Luc smiled at her easily with a twinkle in his eye, "You know Regina, normally you don't get to keep switching your callsign, but being as I'm the one in command now anytime you work with me I'm okay with that.  Soothing littany unto Terra it will be."
Kurt Steiner
 player, 132 posts
 R3 - 1st LT
 Call Sign - Odin
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 15:26
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Roger Simms:
He let the question hang for a few seconds before shaking his head in the negative."No sir, i am thinking i don't want to be hit by the atlas's ac20 if i can avoid it." He adds with a smile that was open and knowing he would not be going against any assault mech if he could be in its blind side.

Kurt faced the other two men.  ”We will not be facing down an Atlas, but we do have our first assignment.  Fort Apache was a forward maintenance base.  Apparently it was also involved in R&D on some recently captured Omni Tech materiel.  We have been contracted by our employer to engage different ‘Mechs with extensive modifications.“  Kurt brought up a technical readout screen showing a heavily modified Dervish.  ”Our target has been codenamed “Rocketman”.  It’s a Dervish that has had all its original weapon systems stripped out and changed for Omni Tech weapons.  Its primary system is four “Sure Shot” LRR systems replacing the traditional LRM 10’s.  A check of the Quartermaster’s inventory show that they have been loaded with the new EROS missile systems.  The duel upgrade gives the weapons a shorter range profile, with no minimum range, greater accuracy under 150 meters, and ammo conservation.  Further short range weapons include twin Streak-2’s and Light Medium Lasers.  One thing that was not upgraded are the ammo bins.  They are conventional bins and do not have any CASE systems.”  As Kurt names off the different systems he updates the readout changes to highlight the different systems.

He changes the screen to technical readouts on the EROS missiles and continued.  ”To help offset the advantages of these systems, I have requested the Freelancer Jorge Hanseen, call sign “Roger.”  I have also requested EROS missiles in both LRM and SRM varieties.  If they come through, we will be able to level the playing field a bit.  We can expect steady resistance not just from the Rocketman, but also conventional support elements as well.  Now the best part, our employer has generously agreed that any advanced materiel we are able to secure we can keep as part of our payment.  Obviously this may prove of significant benefit to our unit, but taking down the target is our primary concern.”

Kurt scowls down at his hands and his voice takes on a grim tone.  ”This is not the way I wanted us to go.  We have had no time to train, or prepare and work as a unit.  We are facing an opponent with vastly upgraded weapon systems and we are fighting above our weight.  Make no mistake gentlemen, this is not an Atlas, but it is very dangerous.  Dismissed.”  With that Kurt turns off the readout and begins collecting his notes.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:28, Wed 22 Jan 2014.

Roger Simms
 player, 140 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 18:43
Re: Post Mission Four Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
 He watched the display of the experimental dervish and had to smile a bit tightly at the different systems. "I have to say i would not mind having a machine like that myself, still not having Case for the missile's seems a bit of a risk. Wonder if we could bring it back with us?." he asks as he read over the display and knew that there was alot of money invested in the machine.

 "You said that we would be facing different mechs, what other mechs are there besides the 'Rocketman'?."
Kurt Steiner
 player, 208 posts
 R3 - 1st LT
 Call Sign - Odin
Fri 14 Feb 2014
at 01:54
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Kurt maneuvered his 'Mech back through the doors of the Fort Apache 'Mech hanger and into his assigned maintenance cubical.  Running the system checks, setting safeties, and finally powering down the fusion reactor it was all he could do to keep the smile off his face.

His Lance.  His Command.

Armageddon Incorporated would be enjoying their first success tonight.  They met the enemy head on, achieved all the objectives that they were assigned, sustained minimal damage, and got away clean with tons of valuable Omni tech that they could use.  It could not have gone any better.  The fact that they did all this while piloting Light 'Mechs made the victory that much sweeter.  He could still hear the old Social Generals and their disgust of the "armoured infantry" as they called them.  His unit, with the help of the Freelancer Jorge, made a mockery out of that heavily modified Dervish and its escort.

Kurt grabbed a fast shower and changed into a fresh uniform and then went to see if Fort Apache's stores had any beer or liquor for its Mess.

His Lance had some celebrating to do.
Roger Simms
 player, 169 posts
 Call sign: Viking
Sun 16 Feb 2014
at 22:28
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
 The trip back was somewhat boring as they went over and over the mission, mostly to find out how well those new mechs seemed to work out. He said his peace and turned over the logs of his conversation of the battle disc's to his CO before catching up on some sleep. He did get time during the flight to go over the small damage he got just before the locust shut down. He thought it foolish for it to stay around even with its speed, it could not have won against all their mechs.

 Arriving back at base he went to his stall and spent time talking with the techs that worked on the mechs, he asked if they would unload the LRMs that had not been used and to have a good look over the aged mech.

 Now that he was here he was feeling the drain of adrenaline once again and the tired drain of mind and body, so following most of the team he headed to the base tavern to celebrate surviving one more mission.
Kitten
 GM, 2208 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 15:37
Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
A light flurry of snow was starting to come down on Fort Apache as a sudden cold snap bought a sudden chill into the area overnight.

The Mercenaries were slowly filtering in and checking in with news from the field.

The Valkyries had returned bloodied and hurt, with arms and torsos missing, but lugging in loot from what was left of Mother.  What they couldnt drag in they burned on the spot before being chased off by Harrassers.  Obviously there was going to be salvage lying about that they couldnt burn down, but Mothers surviving weapon modules were bought in an the mission was reported a hard fought, and bloddy affair, but a success.  Echo and Lina were bought to the medical tent to look over injuries incurred on the field.

The Ironswords has returned with news of success.  They had moved in enmassee, crippling the lighter mech first before moving on to the more dangerous Blackjack.  Damage on the mechs were light and only Alexi was injured on the field.  He to was sent to the medical tent to be looked over by the attending medic.

Armagedeon Inc. had a nasty skirmish with the Rocketman.  An early gyro hit turned it into a nasty game of cat and mouse where Armagedeon inc was happy to be in the cat seat.  The Dervish went down and was unable to continue.  At this point the Locust withdrew disgusted at the cowardice of the Dervish pilot, leaving the Rocketman to the fate he had earned.  Armagedeon Inc. quickly loots the tech off the Dervish and cores the mech leaving nothing to be salvaged.  The pilot was spared, to face his life of dispossession, a fate worse than death for a mechwarrior.  One can only wonder what he was thinking.

The Lancers have a bad mission.  Seeming to lack a clear plan of attack, they are uncoordinated early in the mission and are quickly engaged and attacked singularly.  Jessa's mech experiences the power of the Light Gauss Rifle first, as she takes a round in the chest leaving her Engine and Gyro damage and forcing her off the field early.  Her lancemates buy her time to withdraw, taking the brunt of the Op Force attack was Lucky, who earns his name by avoiding the LGR for over half a minute while taking the lighter weapon fire which over time reduces the whitworth's armor to more than what his repair pool can repair.  The Op Force hold the field, and if theres a silver lining to be had, it's that none of the Lancers will be visiting the Medical tent.
Anastasia Karkoff
 Alt, 303 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 15:51
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Anastasia watched the two girls get carted off to medical witha  frown on ehr face... more training, they needed more training, hell, she needed more training ehrself as well, but these girls, they weren't ready for the battlefield.

Greenhorns, she'd known they were greenhorns, barely past their academy exams when they were put unde rher command, but still, she'd hope dhtey'd fare better.

then she took a survey of the salvage and their mechs, and grimaced... would the lance even be combat ready for the next misison, injuries and half scrapped mechs added up, and she couldn't help but wonder if they'd even see black numbers on their economy after this campaign would be done.

She gave a smile to them, before heading toward the mass area, she'd ask them to prepare something a little extra for the girls, they'd doen well all things considered, it wasn't their fault the academy had shipped them out a year too soon.

when she returned, she gave Hina a nod.
"We'll go eat dinner with the others once their tratment is over, grab a snack to tide you over till then"
Hina Hitomi
 player, 95 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 20:00
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Hina reached into the breast pocket of her jumpsuit, pulling out a bar of something vaguely food-like. "One step ahead of ya, Boss." Wrenching a piece off with her teeth — and requiring a visible effort to do so — she mumbles around the morsel. "I'm gonna be elbows-deep in Li'l Probey's guts, so can you send someone to get me when it's chow time?"

The gleam in her eyes makes it clear that the idea of being stuck up to the waist in the shattered chassis of a 25-ton Battlemech with damaged radiation shielding doesn't scare her in the slightest. She looks like an eight-year-old getting ready to go to the playground.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:01, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Lina Todd
 Alt, 259 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Iron Maiden
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 20:16
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Lina was beaten and battered going into the mission against the Praetorian Guard that was driving the X-5.  Those light gauss rifles were hell-incarnate on her own ride and combined with the plugsuit she had bio-feedback triggering muscle spasms long after the damage had been done.  The damage was severe enough that she doubted that her X-3a would be back in full form before the next engagement...then again with the beating she'd been taking lately she wasn't going to be in top form either.
Echo Snow
 player, 300 posts
 R1 - Space Cadet
 Callsign - 'Princess'
Fri 28 Feb 2014
at 17:28
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Echo had mixed feelings about the outcome of the last mission.  While Mother was put to rest the Valkyries had taken a beating at her hands.  The worse of the headaches and migraines were over with only a vague sentiment of lightheadedness persisted, that she was assured would vanish by morning.

Word had filtered through from Pandora that the moment had come.  In two days the bulk of the raiding force would be pushing at Yuma station for what was suppose to be the final objective of the mission.  It was an operation she would not participate in.

Instead, she had been transfered over to handle the important, but uninspiring mission of taking the Ross Airfield.

A commercial airstrip that handle local operations.  It was a station along the line from Yuma, that seeded cargo from the coast on the other end of the Yuma line.  Expectations of resistence were exceedingly light.  The control tower was easily identifable and once negated would leave nothing by light conventional resistance that could easily be handled by one mech.

It was an important objective though.  Without it, the raiders would have not landing location for the inbound dropship to get off the planet.

She was being assigned a few freelancers to make certain that there would be no issues with taking the Airfield.  Regina Arlington had an impressive record of performance, though her mental stability was questionable at times.  Jorge Hanseen had performed in a reliable manner on the last mission and 'Big Jake'... Echo flips the dossier sheet over an skims his sheet over twice.  The man seemed to defy the possession of a surname.  It was almost... clannish.

Echo quirks a puzzled eyebrow.  The man had spent most of the raid on light duty.  Mostly reserve... spotting... decoy missions and was looking forward to seeing some action before leaving the planet.  Pity it seemed his desire was going to be denied.

Across Fort Apache, most of the unit was being going through the operational briefing for "the great train robbery".  In the empty mess hall were the three mechwarriors assigned for her operations.  It was Echo's first briefing and she made every effort to be as professional as possible.

"... and that's all there is to it.  Taking candy from a baby."

The crude map presented was brief but accurate.  A long airstrip for fixed winged aircraft was noted, a few hangers were observed.  The all important control tower was marked and circled in red.

Go in... Destroy the tower... pacify the conventional security which amounted to a bunch of infantry.  Four mechs were overkill.

"Questions?", Echo was pleased.  Somehow she had managed to keep the loathing she felt for the assignment from bleeding into her voice.

Regina shook her head stifling a yawn.  It was a sentiment Echo secretly reflected but would not admit to infront of her first command.
Kitten
 GM, 2215 posts
Fri 28 Feb 2014
at 18:03
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)

News from the field was good.  The local garrison was currently hamstrung, and the destruction of much of their research subjects had shaken the local commanders enough to load up much of their material to ship into safe houses strewn across the planet to hide till reinforcements could arrive to oust the raiders.  It was a good plan, except Pandora had gotten wind of it and operations were in motion to put a stop to it all.

The larger clusters of organized talent from the Freelancers would all be involved in the operations.  The largest area on Fort Apache was used for the briefing.  In the shadow of lumbering battlemech that were undergoing repairs in the Motor Pool Hanger over a two dozen men and women who would be participating in the operations were at ease waiting for the briefing to begin.

"Freelancers.

 Raiding operations have not been easy, but are starting to show signs of our success and the drawing of the end of the contract and operations on this dirtball.

 All that stands between us and a dust off is one more successful operation.
"

The lights in the hanger dim, and an over head projector flickers to life.  A three dimensional layout of the area of operations appears on the floor of the hanger room.

Small buildings mark the Yuma rail station, a curve hilled bluff seems to be in place over looking the station providing an excellent vantage point to lay down weapon fire on the fields around the station.  Small clumps of trees were evident in the flickering holographic presentation of the area of operations.

"I present to you Squad commander Stiletto of Pandora Covert forces."


A woman was urban fatigues with a short blond bob steps up to take your attention.

"Operations while at times costly have been successful.  Local garrison resistance has been hamstrung and are currently in disarray.  The destruction of Mother, Rocketman, and Shotgun have all undermined their confidence to protect valuable assets from raiding.  A decision has been made by them to localize their best assets to safeguard Yuma station.

A special train, the Yuma 7:10 express will pull into the station in two days to accept a special cargo of equipment and electronics.  The plan is to take it to the coastal port, where conventional naval assets will take them to the four corners of the planet into hardened safe houses making continued operations impractical.  The weight of the Concordats military might will be upon us before reasonable expectations will allow for the liberation of such assets.

The 7:10 Express is a bullet train, their fastest train.  Once its off and moving it will be impossible to stop, without destroying the cargo.  The only point to capture the train will be at Yuma station or Kyoto Port.

Defensive installations and a company of mechs, and a battalion of conventional makes any effort at Kyoto impractical.

Yuma station has been evaluated as the objective more likely to yield success.
"

Stilleto produces an odd pointer with a metal tipped on one end.  Touching the pointer to the 3D map seems to trigger a reaction from the overhead projector.

Tapping a clearing by town four mechs shimmer into existence.

"This is Spartacus.  The Concordat's former Solaris Champion.  On leave from the arena's to serve Caesar.  An officer of their Praetorian Guard.  His Hatchetman has been modified for the harshness of Solaris, and makes use of the Light Gauss Rifle.  he is a deadly mechwarrior not to be ignored.

With him are the hunter-killer team of 'Sledgehammer'... and... a fourth mech, believed to be a Locust.
"

Tapping on the corner of the map little icon seem to shimmer onto the map.

Four heavy AMCs appear on the hilled bluff near town.

"These Armored Missile Carriers may seem unimpressive.
 You couldnt be more wrong.  They are formidable killers, all armed with Hawkeye LRMS.
", the pointer slides off the hill and taps a point around the town, where four stinger mechs shimmer into existence, "Their spotters are their hunters.  Should be come painted by them, you will discover rapidly, how deadly they are.  You would be well advised not to ignore these units."

"While the Freelancers are dealing with the obvious defenders on the field, Pandora operatives who have been infiltrating the station will be making their move to negate security and moving to take control of the train.  The freelancers MUST prevent the train from leaving the station till we are in possession of the controlling functions.  Once that objective is completed, the Freelancers must safeguard the Yuma express till it is clear of the station."

The Holographic project shimmers and fades, as the lights come back on.

"Once operations are completed, we rally at Ross Airfield, and dust off.
 You are advised, not to be late.  Questions?
"
Big Jake
 Alt, 32 posts
 BJ-1DB G4/P6/M0 3 NRG
 Mini WarHammer is here!
Fri 28 Feb 2014
at 20:25
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
In reply to Echo Snow (msg # 266):

When questions were called for Jake raised his hand.  With a lop sided grin he asks, "What kind of snacks should we bring?"
Echo Snow
 player, 301 posts
 R1 - Space Cadet
 Callsign - 'Princess'
Fri 28 Feb 2014
at 21:29
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Echo sighs, "Weather forecast is 'cold'.  Sleet and snow is on the forecast for the next three days.  I would suggest something warm.  Perhaps a nice soup or stew.  While a coolant vest is obviously necessary for the operations of the mech, i would suggest something warm to use for between expected battles since it's likely that the cockpits will be cold."
Pax Tarkin
 player, 461 posts
 R3 Traxx G5/P4/M2 +2 Init
 Mongoose "Road Runner"
Fri 28 Feb 2014
at 23:41
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Pax just shakes his head no.

After the beating his unit took with out so much as a whiff of success he was glad his unit was to be delegated to a task beat up mechs could still accomplish.

He sat and listened to the briefing with a scowl on his face.
David Crain
 player, 311 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Sat 1 Mar 2014
at 02:52
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
David listens to the briefing impassively.  They had the garrison on the run and the news was good, true, but that still meant the garrison had fewer places to defend and they could focus their strength there.  He arched an eyebrow at the technology used in the briefing and wondered if they could get their hands on any.

The defenders looked to be organized and well dug-in.  That meant no foolish chances like last time.  He had gotten away with it then but he had no illusions about the odds of the same bravado working twice in his favour.  This would certainly be no easy task but he had no doubt they could pull it off.

During one of the pauses he idly he wondered how repairs were going on his Jenner.
Hina Hitomi
 player, 98 posts
Sat 1 Mar 2014
at 04:20
Re: Post Mission Six Roleplaying (R&R at Fort Apache)
Hina raises a hand, then quickly sets to waving it back and forth until she is acknowledged.

"Sounds like it's more important that we keep that stuff out of their hands, that getting it ourselves is secondary. Do we have plans to derail the train if they get it moving before we can secure it?"
Kitten
 GM, 2492 posts
Fri 16 May 2014
at 19:28
Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Ross Airfield)
The battle at the train depot was bitter and brief, lasting only a little over a minute.  Pandora special forces were quick to take over the Yuma Express under the Merc's distractive actions.  When Spartacus went down, it was all over.  The Praetorian guards were broken, and the rest of the Concordant forces were falling back to ensure his safety.

The train was taken with minimal casualties.  The Train slowed only briefly to allow the pilot to board the train before it was off, pacing the withdrawing mechs to the Ross Airbase.

Once they arrive at the ross airfield, they find that everything was in good order.  The lance of mercs assigned to take the field had run into light resistance, and dealt with a minor incursion that was beaten off.  A mule class dropship was on the field.  In a hurry to be off the planet, the entire train is lifted off the rails and loaded on the Mule.  It isnt long before they dust off and boost for the stars.

The mercenary mechs are strapped down in the mules hold, and sleeping bags are handed out for the mercs to camp out on.  The Mule class dropship was capable of hauling an immense amount of cargo, but was not known for luxury.

(* Feel Free to roleplay a bit, will update this thread a little each day till we get to the next Contract, which i estimate, the first mission to start at the end of this month/start of June. *)
Hina Hitomi
 player, 128 posts
Sat 17 May 2014
at 02:40
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Ross Airfield)
Hina trudged slowly up the ramp of the dropship, keeping close to the edge to allow for the much faster BattleMechs to pass her without having to watch out for her. Every once in a while, she looked up from her task to stare at the distant horizon. A quick mental calculation, based on the planet's diameter and the height of the ramp, gave her an estimate that the horizon was about twenty-one kilometers away.

She could just barely make out the plume of smoke she had been mentally tracking the entire trip. Turning away from it, she returned her attention to the task at hand, and resumed her slow progress up the ramp.

As she reached the loading bay, a technician in dark blue overalls jogs over, his arms laden with a sleeping bag and a ration kit. She gave the tech a long stare, visibly comparing his clean, pressed suit to her own ragged, battered one. As the tech backed away hesitantly, she reached out to grab the food-pack from him. Not the bedroll, though. The tech turned to find someone more amenable, and it took a physical effort for her to not try to kick him in the rear.

Tossing the ration-pack into an unoccupied alcove, she turned back to give her task one final effort. With a loud grunt, she heaved her BattleMech's pilot seat over the last bit of ramp, shoving it into the alcove. The seat was taller than her, and looked like it had been in a firefight. The propulsion jets were spent, nothing more than fire-blackened cylinders. The parachute was missing, only some severed cords revealing its original location.

The padded interior, however, was absolutely pristine. Not a mark on the faux-leather, not a stitch out of place. Every safety restraint was perfectly secure, every buckle shining like new.

Hina gave the chair a push, then a kick, making sure it was secure in its spot and wasn't going to fall over. Satisfied that it wasn't going anywhere, she turned around and flopped into the seat. She ripped open the ration pack and picked out the obligatory candy bar, then bit into it with a vengeance.
Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 413 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Wed 21 May 2014
at 01:07
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Ross Airfield)
Ana approached the dropship on foot, just getitng the last  of her luggage from their temporary hq during the cmapaign, she had a lot to think about.

She'd let the girls down, and Hina had lost her mech for it, Lina's ride wasn't in a good shape either, but at least she hadn't lost it, sure the insurance policy  on the contract  covered a good chunk of what Hina lost, but it didn't cover it all, so it was with a buter taste in her mouth she walked up the ramp of the dropship.

She grabbed her supplies from one of the men walking around hadning them out, and noticed Hina sitting in the leftovers of her ride, she grimaced and began to walk over there.

when she finally arrived she nodded at the floor in front of Hina, and spoke softly.
"Mind if I sit?"
she looked at Hina's face, inwardly sighing at her own failure, leading to this predicament.
Kitten
 GM, 2633 posts
Wed 21 May 2014
at 03:42
Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Mules in space)
The trip through space is long quiet... and boring.

Really after the rush of closely space engagements and the rush to move about on the raid with the TC nipping on your heels, some of you are finding the quiet ever eternal night of space a little hard to get use to.

Many of you are still in need of a bath.  You're actually aloted a water basin and a few liters of water to clean off.  The cost of the water considered a good investment to reduce the possibility of wounds getting infected with the added benefit of improving morale and air quality.

The hold of the Mule is large enough.  All around you for the trip are the slumbering war machines that were the means for staying alive and dealing out the hurt to the planetary garrison.  Someone was going to get in trouble, not only had you gotten away with the cargo, you've managed to steal the whole train...

It makes for an amusing place to settle and pass time.  Its well lit with some nice touches, like a small kitchen, and a few bunk beds for over night stays on the rails.  One of the cars of the Yuma Express it seemed was used for a listening post.  Gathering information and providing EW support in the field.  Another was purely cargo.  The Engine itself, was too heavy to pull off the rails and not considered valuable bother and was left behind.

The Pandora actives appear here and there, but mostly keep to themselves, and seem pretty busy sifting through the electronic data available in the train to gather intel on what the Concordat was up to.  The rest of the unit was left to their own devices for a few days they pass time cleaning up, killing time, and in some cases mending old injuries and new.  The more productive pilots spend time working on their mechs repairing damage and reloading ammo bins.  While it was nice to hope for the best, a hot landing was something you wanted to be prepared for if it happened.  The paranoid lifestyle of a merc.

There was a scout jumpship anchored in space on what the time keepers said was the third day, waiting and drawing energy from it's solar sails while the mercs were spending days dirt side, the jump ship was gathering energy to bring you all home.

Even before the Mule starts docking operations, the solar sails start to close and fold.  It doesnt take too much longer for the Engines to warm up and for the K-Drives to take the jumpship across space jumping across the vastness of space.

There would be two more jumps.  Each one spaced out by long idle days spent recharging the jumpships batteries which would be used to make the next jump.  At the end of it all, was Omni's home system.  To most of the mercs, it was just another blue planet in another single star system.  To the Valkyries and Pandora operatives, it was a long awaited moment.  After months away, planetfall was only hours away, they were home.
Kitten
 GM, 2634 posts
Wed 21 May 2014
at 03:49
Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
The long Ferro-Concrete pads were depressed into the ground, allowing spheroid dropships to seat better for cargo handling.  The descent down was smooth and clean and ended at Omni's starport.

As ports go, it was small and seemed little used.  A trio of circular pads were along side the long strip supporting the enormous dropships that shipped commerce to and away from the planet.  A pair of Mules currently occupied the other two pads hinted at a healthy trade economy.

Hangers lined the space beside the strip hinted at a notable Aero Space presence. The mule would be seated on the pad till the mechs were offloaded and new cargo could be loaded and then... it would be gone.  It seemed the Mercs were here to stay for the near future.

The environment felt welcoming the frosty cold weather of Burton was very far away at the moment.  It was humid and warm, though in the shade of the dropship not to the point of uncomfortable.  Among the Pandora operatives are the first to offload, and vanish off to some room to be debriefed.

That suited the mercs fine.  They were all busy seeing to their mechs being unloaded, evidently to be parked in a hanger large enough to shelter a dropship.  For the moment, they were left alone to their own thoughts and curiosities.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:49, Wed 21 May 2014.

Helia Quinn
 player, 25 posts
Wed 21 May 2014
at 04:38
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
As the mechwarriors disembark from the dropship, a young woman wearing the blue jumpsuit of a Hope military academy mechwarrior cadet is already there to meet them.
Scanning over the small group, she quickly zeroes in on Anastasia and steps forward.

"Lance Commander Karkoff, Cadet Helia Quinn reporting for duty!" Helia salutes sharply as she introduces herself in clipped tones. "I have been assigned to your unit. I have the orders here if you would like to review them."
Kitten
 GM, 2678 posts
Wed 21 May 2014
at 23:48
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)


All around the hanger were young women going about their business in some sort of uniform.  Most were in White, Black or Green.  There were a few in Blue and Red though they were in the minority.

One of the blue ones were beside Helia.

"I am Officer Candidate, Cadet Margaret.  I have been assigned to be the Liason Officer for the Freelancers while they staying here on Omni.  I'm sure you're all tired after such a long flight, i will escort you to your quarters.  Our Tech pool will get to work on getting your equipment fit for operations."

If asked or any of the characters seem reluctant, she assures them that the tech staff is top notch and will take care of the machines and that you will not be within walking distance should any of you care to over watch the repair process.

It's a ten minute walk to where you will be staying.  It seems to be a hotel of some sort, and while the room are 'economy' and two to a room, except for officers (rank 2 or higher) who are granted their own rooms.  You're given a cell phone, and a wristband, that youre told is used as currency (like a credit card).  Margaret indicates that her number are on the phones and to contact her immediately if there is a problem.

You're then left to clean up and go about your business for the next day or two.  During this time, if you check up on the repairs of your mech, there seems to be a LOT more bodies around than really required for battle damage repairs.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:49, Wed 21 May 2014.

Kitten
 GM, 2685 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 02:04
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

It was the third day of stay that the mercs were on planet that a Blond haired woman arrived to collect the unit commanders for debriefing.  She wore the same blue jumpsuit that was seen here and there but seemed to hold herself with a sense of authority.

The Ana would recognize her Commander insignia, gave her a rank on par with a Captain.  She was brief and to the point, and not particularly inclined to small talk, a change of pace from the chatty personnel that seemed to populate Omni.  In the brief time they were here, the mercs found that most of the locals were chatty, friendly, and a few degrees too perky for their liking.  While it was obvious from their uniform that they were suppose to be a militant group of some sort, they certainly didnt act like one.

Their trip terminated at an office building.  One of the larger ones in Eden.  It's glassy mirrored surface spanned dozens of floors above ground floor.  Most of the mercs couldnt help but wonder what sort of mess it would have made should it come under attack.

That pretty much summed everything up that they saw.  Everything on the planet was pretty, but not suited to the business of war.  The ride up the elevator bought them very close to the top floors of the building where they met with a woman with dark hair and an intelligent look of competence about her.

"Good Afternoon gentlemen...", she nods to Anastasia, "Lance Commander."

She waves at several comfortable chair in front of her glass surface... much too neat table.

"I trust that your stay on Omni has so far been to your liking?"
Kurt Steiner
 player, 346 posts
 R3 - 1st LT
 Call Sign - Odin
Thu 22 May 2014
at 03:13
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Ross Airfield)
In reply to Kitten (msg # 273):

Kurt maneuvered his battered Commando through the Dropship bay doors and secured it on the assigned pallet, secures master safety, and runs through shutdown procedures and checks.  He can't help but see Hina dragging her command couch in behind her.  Her head was up, that was a good sign, but he could see the strain.  He wondered if he would have that courage.

Dispossession was all but a foreign concept in the Lyran Guard.  If a 'Mech got destroyed, another was ordered from the Quartermaster.  Sure, it meant that a militia unit most likely got passed over, but that was the way it was.  There were some armchair generals who thought it was good for the militiamen to "know their place."  This was different though.  There wouldn't be a shiny new 'Mech waiting when then touched down.  Hell, even with the insurance and passing-the-hat they would be lucky to find her a Stinger or Wasp that wasn't half broken down.

Kurt's dark thoughts continued as he un-strapped and climbed down from his 'Mech and received his handouts.  He found a spot he figured was out of the way, and set up.  His unit worked well again, and they help the others achieve their objectives for the most part, though not without significant loss of their own resources.  Overall, this one would most likely go down as a success, but Kurt couldn't feel it in his heart when he looked over at the young woman.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:14, Thu 22 May 2014.

Kurt Steiner
 player, 347 posts
 R3 - 1st LT
 Call Sign - Odin
Thu 22 May 2014
at 04:06
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Mules in space)
In reply to Kitten (msg # 276):
Kurt awoke suddenly.  He didn't even remember going to sleep.  It must have been the crash from living on pure adrenaline for the past few days.  Or, was it weeks?  It was hard to remember now.  The quiet thrum of the Dropship; the regimented ballet of the techs moving about and over the 'Mechs.  All of it was a strange comfort in what seemed like the least likely of places.

He got up, stretched sore aching muscles, and lined up with his field kit for a basin wash, and fast shave.  A precious sliver of deodorant remained and he was grateful for small comforts.  He then checked in with the techs working on his 'Mech.  He was informed that the internals, armour, and reloads would not be an issue, but that they didn't have a compatible Medium Laser to replace the second Defiance B3M that he had destroyed in as many days.  Not good news.  His launchers were good, but that Medium would be missed if he was pressed into combat before a replacement could be found.

Kurt makes it a point to check in with the other two members of his lance.  He was starting to grow found of them, and hoped that if the units were forced to re-shuffle, that he would be able to pull a few strings and hold on to them.

Inevitably, a game of cards broke out on one of the train cars.  Cards were dealt, lies were told, and time passed on.  The jumps were the only break in the long drawn out pauses.  Kurt was grateful when they finally arrived at Omni.
Kurt Steiner
 player, 348 posts
 R3 - 1st LT
 Call Sign - Odin
Thu 22 May 2014
at 04:31
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
In reply to Kitten (msg # 280):

Kurt greeted Cadet Margaret warmly, extending his hand to her.  He makes no protest about letting Omni's techs work on his 'Mech, they are his employer, and if they want to look, he is not about to say no.  He does question Cadet Margaret on their walk "Officer Candidate, Cadet Margaret" he says with only the slightest hint of jest in his voice.  " What does the colour of uniform denote?"  He waits for an answer before quickly shifting mental gears on her, trying to throw her off.  "What's the main purpose of this spaceport?  We can all see that it is set up to ship large volume of cargo, but Omni is not known for its aggressive marketing of its products.  What are the main imports and exports going on here?"

Kurt gets to his private room, and muses that rank maybe does have its privileges.  Seeing as how they have some downtime, Kurt tries to round up the rest of his lance to see if they're up for a little exploring of the local scene.  A lesser man might note that this place seems to be a "target rich environment" for a male of the species, but Kurt was above that.  A little bonding with his men would be good for morale.

After an insightful three days, Kurt follows the blonde woman to the mission debriefing.  He can tell from her tone and body language that she was obviously use to command, and he could feel his own posture shift in response.  He held himself a little straighter, almost at attention, as if he were back at the Nagalring.

Kurt noticed the slight difference in exchanges between the woman and her "sister" in the Valkyries.  This was business, and he was here to talk business.  Kurt begins by cutting right down to the heart of the matter.  "This place is shiny and modern; the beds are soft and comfy, but downtime is lost time.  When do we re-deploy?  I am assuming there is another contract to be discussed?"
Helia Quinn
 player, 39 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 04:52
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"Well, that went about as well as I could have expected." Helia mused to herself. It was hard to get a read on the returning veterans. Even a fool would know that there was a difference between test runs and training drills, no matter how rigorous, but her brief encounter with the mercenaries gave her no clues as to how she might prepare herself. Regardless, it was clear that being away from Eden had left it's mark.

Over the next few days, Helia makes an effort to spend more time in the Hangar and about the base, looking for opportunities to learn more about the offworlders and her new Lancemates.
Akarian Euclid
 player, 20 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 09:28
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Akarian, exited the ancient mongoose and climbed down its red exterior. Supposedly it had seen onwards to three hundred years of use, having been passed down the generations, until finally arriving in his own hands. It surely didn't look that old, or at least not on the outside. In truth so much of the mech had been replaced through out the years by its various owners that in many ways it wasn't. Or at least on the outside, the inside was quite a different story.

As he was escorted away to quarters, he hoped this next contract would see him being much more active. After all Phoenix was a mech that lived in combat, and had been reborn several times as the stories went. Simple patrol duties and such tasks while paying the bills, wasn't going to meet the expectations of his house.
Kitten
 GM, 2696 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 11:16
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

Margaret seems pleased that some of the mercs seemed inclined to conversation.  Maybe they werent all knuckle dragging primates like some of the others joked at.  Margaret takes Kurt's teasing in good stride and doesnt seem defensive about it.  She was rather pleased to be an officer candidate, and actually requested the position to liason with the mercs while they were here to observe how they worked.  It seemed fair to exchange information so she freely answered his questions.

"Oh... the uniforms... they're actually just clothes.  Uniforms issued from the academy.  It's a quick way to tell at a glance a cadets specialty.  White is technical... Red is Aero... Green is conventional infantry... and Blue ...", she tugsg at the sleeve of her uniform, "Is Mechwarriors.  The ones in black... are the freshmen class and havent picked an area of specialty yet and are following the core curriculum of the school till they settle on a their major."

Margaret continues to discuss things in a conversational manner asking him how operations went on Burton.  The logistical details... the tactical ones... and how the results of the mission went.  She quickly starts to feel like a kid sister to Kurt.  Bright and Intelligent, but she's missing the killer instinct that you find in most Mechwarriors.  You can see why they hire mercs to do their dirty work, if this was par for the military talent dirt side.

"We're primary into imports and exports.  We import raw material and goods from around the periphery and refine it into finished goods to export out.  Manufacture and production is our primary industry.  We maintain a fairly high standard of living her on Omni.

We also tend to draw a lot of tourist.  It's a temperate climate most of the year, and a budding entertainment industry has started developing to cater to the potential income from tourism.
"

(more soon)
Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 421 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Thu 22 May 2014
at 12:14
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Ana Saluted Evan's when the captain greeted them.
"Ma'am.

My report will be on your desk tomorrow.
When should I expect The technical department to come by for an interview regarding the X-3c?"


----

Helia hadn't seen much of Ana during their ride... She'd been busy drafting reports for various people back at Eden, and reviewing the various misisons.

Still she'd seen her around once in a while, managing a mercenary unit certainly seemed to be hard work.

finally after they'd Landed and Ana had delivered the various reports, she took her time to look the new pilot and her shiny new mech over.

"Welcome to the Valkyries Helia, I must apologize for my lack of time during our flgiht ehre, but i had to work on reports while i still had the raid fresh in mind."

she looked a datapad over, then back at Helia.
"I understand you'll be piloting a 3-X power loader, a good solid mech.</red >
She nodded at the girl, then smiled.
<red>"I also noticed you've got pods for multiple setups, which would be your primory loadout?"

This message was last edited by the player at 14:43, Thu 22 May 2014.

Echo Snow
 player, 311 posts
 R1 - Space Cadet
 Callsign - 'Princess'
Thu 22 May 2014
at 12:26
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

Echo had a day to decompress the events of the last few weeks before the expected knock came to her door.

Dr Ward came to visit Echo's first night back on Omni.  Arrangements were made to debrief over a casual late dinner.

"We have a lot of ground to cover tonight, but i have to admit, i have serious serious concerns over your run in with mother.", Dr. Ward commented as she poured them both a drink to break the ice.

"It was an interesting moment.  I'm glad i got to experience the... adrenaline... of combat, but in retrospect, i wouldnt want to live in the moment the way some of the mercs do.", Echo answers honestly.  It was an educational experience but she wasnt cut like the mercs... she wasnt even close to the mentality Lina had, "I would be doomed to a life of mediocre if i did.", she comments with a bit of color on her cheeks.

"Agreed.  I've spoken to Pandora about it, she think it would be a waste of your talent if you ended up a smear somewhere on the end of a bar of depleted uranium."

"It in my self interest to agree with that.", Echo comments having a brief flash back of Mother looming over her, "... but... what other options are there?"

Echo was leery.  This conversation was going somewhere... she just wasnt sure where.
Kitten
 GM, 2699 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 12:51
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

Pandora was the CEO of Omni Tech, and guided the technical innovations produced by the company.  She was careful about how and where such technical wonders as what was produced on Omni were directed.

Omni had prospered and it's influence in the periphery had expanded through peaceful trade.  They were on the verge of making break through in roads on the Federated Suns and Combine's markets.  There was only one problem.  The Taurian Concordat had taken notice of their influence... as well as their woeful state to engage in prolonged conflict.  They were expanding their borders, and gobbling up periphery planets at an alarming rate.

Their latest efforts on Detroit were barely contained and exposed.  Team Banzai did not take kindly to having their reputation smeared with war crimes and were doing an admirable job of cleaning up the mess on Detroit.  The Concordat would be foolish to risk open war with the Federated Suns while they were involved and so... that problem was contained.

The raid on Burton had been messy but... not without rewards.  There were reams of intel being gathered from the command center that Danielle had helped take.  A freight car full of priority research would help Dr. Ward understand exactly what the Concordat was up to and where they were getting their research from.  That was a messy problem that was going to have to be dealt with the EMP technology was left on the draftboard, because the design and use has terrible collateral damage potential.  The use off one in the wrong place at the wrong time could shut down key technical resources at crucial moments.  It was something judged too unpleasant for any one to have... and yet the Taurians had them.

The meeting with the merc commanders went as planned.  Discussions of the work done, and compensations for that work done were balanced with the expenses incurred on their behalf.  They were men of war... not finances... her particular forte.  It would have been easy to cut them down and whittle them into financial ruin, but that would have been barbaric, as well as short sighted.  They needed each other, and it was more productive to engage in a partnership of trust.

So as the beans were counted and tallied, Pandora made the offer to help fit the mercenary units with Advance equipment and weapons at 'cost'.  She would also discuss with Dr. Ward, the possibility of supplying them with more comprehensive technical support in the field.

The meeting with Pandora concluded with the brief discussion that a situation was being monitored 'in system' that might require the merc's attention.  That she would monitor the situation and contact them should the decision be made that their services would be required.

Till then the mercs were on their well deserved leave.

<hr.

From the mercs perspective, they left the meeting feeling as if they had been engaged in some sort of boardroom hostile engagement.  The nuances of business and finance was not something any of them specialized in, but they ran their companies and understood the concept of the bottom line.

Things were looking bleak at the meeting as the cost of transport from planet to planet were considered, the operation cost of materials to keep them fit in fighting... the cost of payoffs to gather and implement intel... dozens of expenses they had never really considered were bought up and justified an expense against the bottom line that could leave them in the red and in their debt indefinitely.

It was a humbling experience that left some egos wounded and pride hurt.  It was the sort of contract shenanigans that you expected for the Capellans or Combine that just had a way of turning your stomach.  Do a good job and get punished for it.  It was the sort of treatment that made you really really really angry.

Then at the end of the meeting... when they should have been putting up the flag of victory over them, Pandora swept the expenses off the table and offers her thanks for a job well done.  Reasonable compensation was offered for a job well done, as well as an offer to help equip them with Eden's Technically superior weapons.  The promise of technical support was a welcome surprise to cap the meeting to an end.

It left most of the merc commanders wondering what just happened.  Except... maybe Anastasia who seemed unconcerned through out the meeting and unmoved with the results by the end.  Pandora was a brilliant business woman, who had expanded Omni's influence through the periphery.  It was no surprise to her that they were at her whim in the financial arena.  It was also no surprise to her that she had settled the accounts fairly... even generously in light of the situation.  Her mind was already off the situation and moving on to what exactly might be happening ... on Omni no less... that would require their attention.  Was there really a military threat this close to home?

This message was last updated by the GM at 12:52, Thu 22 May 2014.

Lina Todd
 Alt, 274 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Iron Maiden
Thu 22 May 2014
at 15:50
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Lina had been quiet most of the ride, a most uncharacteristic attitude for her.  When they had landed on Omni she had helped move her X-3a off the Mule with mixed feelings and a lot of thoughts on her mind.  Her power loader had done well but had been beaten down pretty badly in mission after mission.  While she had been able to put out some dangerous firepower it had been at a pretty hefty cost.

She knew she needed to talk to her sister Megan but didn't know if she was off-planet on assignment or not.  Regardless she needed to do a whole lot of paperwork to not only see about her repairs but she had caught rumor about some of the gear they hauled off planet.  If she had some luck, and the help of her sister putting in a good word, she might be able to become half the mechwarrior she wanted.
Kitten
 GM, 2711 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 16:01
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

Lina's sister Meg was actually around to discuss with stuff.

The 101st Air wing were doing fly by information gathering sorties in system, gathering information on mining the asteroid field for ores and possible rare materials.  Why jump the stuff in system, if something more local could be found?

They had the warm sisterly hug and pleasantries before settling down to business.

Meg was flamboyant... go lucky... and had the carefree nature that most Aero pilots had that flitted with death, everytime they flew sorties against Omni's enemies.

"I saw you did good work on Detroit.  Sorry i couldnt fly cover for you on Burton.  That was a pure smash and grab operation and the 101st had some other problems that needed attending to.", Meg made a face at an unpleasant memory before flitting back to he buoyant nature.

"I see you made it back from Detroit... but... you're not happy?", Meg tilts her head slightly giving the closest thing she had to a biological sister a questioning look of concern.
Kitten
 GM, 2712 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 16:09
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)


While his duties were light and unexciting on Burton, Akarian found them to be barely profitable as well.  The Freelancers were staying over on some periphery mudball, called Omni.  While they were little heard of in the Inner Sphere they seemed to be well known with growing influence out on the Periphery.

There was a small army of Techs and Astechs waiting for the mercs to land.  A small sea of black jumpsuits, and the occasion white ones directing them here and there.

There were a few in green jumpsuits, carrying significant light arms providing security for the whole affair.  No small concern since there seemed to be small fortune in equipment lying about.  Most every tool a tech might need was around... dozens of them about actually.  The store house of parts seemed mind boggling as well.  It felt large enough to act as a Quatermaster's station for a Brigade or Small regiment.  It was suffice to say that their mechs were probably going to be well tended to.

A few minutes later he was led off to a cushy room where the first hot shower and soft bed awaited him in weeks.
Lina Todd
 Alt, 275 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Iron Maiden
Thu 22 May 2014
at 16:11
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
She smiled at Meg, "It's okay, besides your air wing is far too valuable to fall into those barbaric Bull-shitters hands.  Somehow they have begun reverse engineering our stuff and I wouldn't want them to have your X-6..."

He pause gave her time to move back from the smile to the frown, "The 'Mother' incident hit me hard...no joke those LGR's tore my poor Ironman to pieces, but it's more than that.  Try as I might I get beaten and battered every time I go out.  Doc's say I'm pretty much healed but these ribs are still making it hard for me to breathe sometimes..." the bruises from her repeated battering from getting hit in the head and falling repeatedly from the assults was mostly gone but she still had lingering aches in her left side from the ribs that had been fractured multiple times.  She was lucky that one of them hadn't punctured her lung.
Kitten
 GM, 2713 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 16:21
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

Helia watched as the Freelancers departed, some with reluctance, to much earned R and R.  Dr. Ward had guessed correctly... The Freelancers were fresh from combat and there was a lot of battle damage on their mechs.

It was going to be a good field exercise for the cadets to practice battle field damage repairs.  Here and there the younger cadets were practicing the fine art of repairing armor damage.

The more advance students were busy rebuilding entire torsos and arms... while it might have been quicker to simply pull a spare from inventory, Dr. Ward insisted such a luxary was not alway possible and insisted on a hands on approach of working from the ground up.

The mechs would be repaired... reviewed... graded... and if found lacking stripped down for the next crew of cadets to take a shot at repairing it properly.  It was quite the mark of pride to walk away with a job well done.  It was equally humiliating and shameful to find your work flawed and told to sit and watch the next crew of cadets, to see how it should have been done.

They would be at it for hours... if not days.  There were no shortage of cadets eager to get their hands dirty working on quaint antiques.
Kitten
 GM, 2714 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 16:26
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

"Well... they're good... for what they do... but the X-5's are just brutes at what they do.  You're lucky you didnt take a rail gun shot to the cockpit that would have been a rather tragic ending.

Millies been working with Dr. Ward on logisical deployments.  I think she's made a case to standardize the old X-3s, patterning them after the command variant.

I hear they're in cookie cutter testing now.  They have a couple of test platoons up at the academy that have been showing encouraging results.  Talk to Anna about it.  She should be able to pull a few strings to get some into the Valkyries... if you really want them that is.
"
Helia Quinn
 player, 40 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 16:33
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
In reply to Anastasia Karkoff (msg # 287):

"I actually have the privilege of retaining one of the early test units that lead to the development of our newest models, the A-series. The 'default' loadout mounts the standard jump-jets, a standard laser module in the torso, as well as a heavy rapid-fire autocannon in a rifle mount. However, because of the new module system, it's capable of a surprising number of different configurations."

Helia smiles.

"I've spent my last few years here as a test pilot, so I'm used to using different configurations daily. I'll have no problems reloading my mech to meet whatever needs the lance may have."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 753 posts
 O2 - 2nd Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 22 May 2014
at 16:50
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Lucius had a lot of paperwork to do...something that he hated and why he hadn't built a unit of his own from the ground up.  Still even without a head for numbers like some of these Omni people he knew the bottom line and how to keep things going even if pure profit wasn't high on his list at the moment.

One thing that the Omni techs seemed to be massively excited about was his Fire Javelin.  From what he could gather from their techno-babble he'd seen some of the most combat against a myriad of foes while using their Beta Targeting Computer tied into standard medium lasers.  So when they asked if they could do some extensive maitenance on the BTC free of charge in exchange for all the data that it had taken he was more than willing to wave his hands and tell them sure.

More the gruff type he let Kurt do his Lyran schmoozing and plumbing the cadet for intel with an amused smile, and only spoke up when the Commander there had asked, "Afternoon...?" he gave enough pause for her to offer her name or rank for him to repeat back to her before continuing, "Everyone is peachy-keen perky and the girls down by the pad were extra keen on my ride.  I get the feeling that they would want to keep the old boy if they could for some reason."
Kitten
 GM, 2718 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 16:59
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"Evans... Commander Evans.", was the simple reply the all business blond offers Lucius.

At Lucius' comments she shrugs.

"They enjoy fixing things... The Freelancers have a knack for breaking things.
 I suppose it's a Happy meeting?
", Commander Evans comments not really sure what Lucius was trying to allude to.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 754 posts
 O2 - 2nd Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 22 May 2014
at 17:07
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Brusque and to the point.  He liked that so he replied in kind, "I've seen your...what do you like to call them...power loaders in action.  I think I could pull out better performance in them than your...mechwarriors.  How about we come to a fair price and I'll sell you the mech that has been in my family for centuries so you can have all the time in the world to go over that data and how it came to be and I can acquire one of your power loaders and make it my family's new heirloom to pass down through the generations?  The targeting computer of course will come back to me after you've done your techno-babble work over it but the systems of the Javelin should allow you to adapt both future computers and your sabilizations systems to be more effective.  Or so the techies seem to think in their babbling..."

Even with his bravado he knew that the learning curve of the loader would be harsher and not have the feel of his old Javelin, but he had a feeling that what these girls were coming up with would be something that would change the style of warfare.  If he got in early on it he could pioneer some real warfare changes...

This message was last edited by the player at 19:31, Thu 22 May 2014.

David Crain
 player, 366 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Thu 22 May 2014
at 17:11
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
En route to Omni...

Avenger boards the dropship with his mauled Jenner.  The loss of the laser was annoying but ultimately a problem that could easily be solved.

[OOC: does the damage get repaired while we're still on Detroit or during transit?]

Transit, as usual, was the typical, frustrating 'sit around and wait' routine.  At least the games of cards was a welcome break from the monotony.  He sat around the table when he could, shared stories, told lies, won some money, lost some money, but ultimately time passed by that much faster.
Lina Todd
 Alt, 276 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Iron Maiden
Thu 22 May 2014
at 17:11
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"Meg, you know how much I love cookies!" she smiled wide before cringing a bit had holding her side for a moment, "I'll talk to the Commander, but we've never really meshed well.  You think you could maybe talk to a few people as well and grease some wheels too?  Just in case?"
Kitten
 GM, 2721 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 17:28
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
In reply to David Crain (msg # 300):

The trip away from Burton, was nice and quiet, but the parts lying about was limited to armor patches... a few bits of internals and some reload.  A weapon replacement was going to be potentially troublesome.

When he finally touches down on Omni, theres a small army of techs milling about waiting to service the damaged mechs.  His mangled Jenner seems to draw a lot of interest, which he's uncertain to be please or irritated about.

Margaret notices the look on your face and decides to help out.  Taking your name and unit, and asking you what configuration your mech was running with and any personal touches you may have made.

You indicate it's an F Variant... an had a Pulse Laser on the arm...

She asks if you would like to have it replaced with a pulse laser, or prefer the standard two medium lasers that it came out of the factory with.
David Crain
 player, 368 posts
 R0 - Private
 Callsign: Avenger
Thu 22 May 2014
at 19:42
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
After several weeks breathing canned air on the dropship it was certainly nice to breathe fresh air again.  David's musing on the adventures that awaited his crew was pleasantly interrupted by a woman's voice.  He turns his head to look at the woman speaking to him, "I would like two medium lasers back on there, if you would."  He extends his hand in greeting, "Hi, I'm David, and you would be?"
Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 424 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Thu 22 May 2014
at 20:01
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
ana gave lucius a look of pity... learning to use the loaders had  taken up about half the time she'd spent at the academy, not to mention the added training just to know how to switch around the pods.

It was a wonder the academy was capable of pushing out pilots younger than thirty.
"Good luck Burner, the manual is a few thousand pages of pure brain trauma"
She shrugged as she looked apologetically at Evans, it was true after all, the manual was as good as it'd ever get, but user manuals were tedious and boring by their very nature, and there was a LOT to learn about the X series mechs.

"Still it is an excellent machine of war, and certainly a purchase you'll be happy with, once you familiarize yourself with it"

Evans reminded her of their employer, that usually drove a hard but fair bargain, establishing relations she'd called it, networking...

Ana hadn't cared much for the concept, not when her mother did it, and not when their current employer did  it, still it was good to benefit from it personally for once, Her account was running up a tidy sum after all.

She grimaced as she clutched the pendant with her parents' photoes in it... wondering how the General was holding up after the massive mess of an invasion of eden, and what she'd have said if she'd seen the massive failure her daughter had committed on the field of battle.

she looked at Evans and Lucius once more.
"don't mind those girls though, they'll take apart anything that comes within reach if you let them, I'm still trying to figure out if they live on motor oil and duct tape"
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 757 posts
 O2 - 2nd Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 22 May 2014
at 20:09
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"Manual Dragon?" replied Luc with a grin.  "I'm a mechwarrior not a librarian.  Does it come in a books on tape version?"

He chuckled lightly before adding in more seriously, "I've been driving my mech for almost a decade now since my father tossed me into the cockpit.  They may be fresh off the line and sport new technology and ideas but it's based on what came before, and I'm a quick study when it comes to on the spot learning."

He thought about responding to more of what she said before he caught himself with only a tiny smile.  There was always time for that later since they were between contracts and would have a few days downtime on the planet, then plenty more before they jumped to whatever hell-hole they were going to go to next away from this 'paradise'.
Roger Simms
 player, 227 posts
 Call sign: Viking
 lrms 8/12
Thu 22 May 2014
at 20:27
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
 The boring part of being a mechwarrior was the old adage of the Military,"Hurry up and wait" and that was even more true on this miniature plants of drop ship and jumpships.

 He had finally come to the conclusion that he wanted a bigger punch and to do that he would sell off his faithful valkerye then he would see about picking up a solid and dependable Whitworth.

 Arriving back on Omni he placed his order in for a case for the missile ammo and he had also heard that a couple of Case pods were up in the auction to which he had sent a bid in hoping to have two Case pods to protect the lrm ammo.

  Moving his valk down the ramp and into the storage area of his current unit he paused to look over the damaged mechs and the pilot who had lost their ride and could feel sorry for them. Not many would understand what losing a mech really meant.
Kitten
 GM, 2730 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 20:30
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

"I am your liason officer Margaret.  I'll make certain that your Jenner is tended to your preference.  It's in excellant care."

Margaret pats David shoulder in a reassuring matter and seems to saunter off to talk to a woman in a white jump suit that was tending to David's Jenner.  She gives him an okay sign with her fingers and seems to move on to another merc to discuss their battle damage issues.
Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 425 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Thu 22 May 2014
at 20:32
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
She shrugged at that, and spoke a bit more.
"I suppose you can skip much of it, but i'd advice on at least reading chapters 3, 11 and 39... and if you plan to ever understand the technical aspects of the pod systme, I'd suggest reading 15 to 21 as we..."
She laughed, soft pearly laughter, so discordant from her otherwise tough demeanor.
"I'm sounding like a damned teacher, aren't I?"
She shook her head at herself.
"I'm half your age, Can't imagine there's much I could teach you when it comes down to it"

---

In the small office she'd gained access to, she continued her chat  with Helia.
"I understand, but most pilots have a preference, up close and perosnal knife fighting, mid range skirmishing, or long range support, either as artillery or sniper"
she tapped the document and looked at Helia.
"Any questions?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:36, Thu 22 May 2014.

Helia Quinn
 player, 41 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 22:22
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"Currently, the loads I have best support long range support and mid-range skirmishing best. The light armor and comparably low speed of the X-3 leaves it poorly suited for close in brawling."

Helia pauses for a moment to think. "Beyond wanting to know when we are likely to ship out, no I do not have any questions at this time. I look forward to working with you."
Akarian Euclid
 player, 24 posts
Thu 22 May 2014
at 22:28
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Akarian showered and took the time to do a proper shave. That was the first plus in weeks, if not months, as far as he was concerned. He really had to see some actual combat missions on this next contract, and as much as he hated to lower his already dwindling funds, he knew there the chance of picking up some advanced weapons while here. Something that he would struggle fitting into Phoenix no doubt, but would be well worth it, should he find the chance to slice enemies in half as only focused lasers could. An activity he enjoyed very much, perhaps to much.

At any rate plans were already in motion on the equipment front, and so it seemed he had free time at hand. Not wishing to waste it he headed out to see what troubles or pleasures he could find on this mudball of a planet.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:29, Thu 22 May 2014.

Donovan O'Brien
 player, 270 posts
 Whitworth
 Callsign: Lucky
Thu 22 May 2014
at 22:59
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Lucky makes sure his mech is secured in the bay, and then grabs a quick shower and some hot chow.

Normally a conversationalist, but, he had an idea after having some internal conversations with himself...he starts thinking about some technical manuals he had scanned before. Something about upgrading, or maxing out his Whitworth's armor.

Setting up his hammock between the legs of his mech, he pulls up manuals, schematics, old mechwarrior novels...trying to recall what he had read...

Without thinking about it, he starts humming a ditty, "If my Whitworth was armor maxed, I wouldn't need too be soooo lucky..." 
Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 430 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Fri 23 May 2014
at 02:00
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Ana looked at her watch, habit when talking about time.
"I can't answer that yet, we're still looking at options"
by we she really meant she was, but for some reason the mercenaries who ahd defended omni had now banded together... working contracts as a group, it turned out profitable in it's own way, many of these campaigns required multiple simultaneous missions to be worked.

"But it will be a few days at least, so i suggest you meet up with Lina and Hina and chat with them, get to know the other girls, play some lazar tag, agaisnt some of the local bravos"
She chuckled at that memory, still it had helped a bit way back then when the misture behind her ears could still be utilized for farming purposes.
Helia Quinn
 player, 43 posts
Fri 23 May 2014
at 04:47
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"That sounds like a good plan, I'll be sure to look them up."

Helia salutes smartly and leaves.

Her first stop is at the hangar to see if any of her lancemates might be about. While there, she overhears Donovan humming to himself and goes over to have a look.

"An impressive machine you have there," she remarks. "Much larger than most of the equipment we use here. What's it's combat load?"
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 275 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Fri 23 May 2014
at 16:57
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
{Regina's Omni Adventures...}

It was nice to be clean again, and the planet seemed temperate and nice.

There was so much to do and see, that Regina was up early after a good nights rest and wandering around.  She had gotten in touch with Margaret and asked if it might be possible to visit the Eden Academy to have a look around and her request was granted.  A nice Freshman Cadet was assigned to Regina to show her around the school grounds.

Things were going well till around lunch.  It was towards the end that her guide started looking a little ill, and was forced to take a short leave of Regina's company to visit the medical ward at the Academy.  It seemed a good thing, she was starting to look a little green, which is never a good sign of health.

Undaunted by the lack of a guide, Regina continues to wander about the ground.  She's eventually stopped and asked, why she was walking about the halls without her uniform.  Her answer was simple and honest...

"... because i was never issued one?", Regina answers uncertain if this was the correct answer being sought.

She's issued a pass, and given directions to the Quartermaster's station.  Uncertain what it was all about but pleased that she was given directions to actually go somewhere, she's walks the busy halls of the Academy into a cluttered room.  There was a girl there tending paper work and accepted the paper work Regina presented.

"Name?", she asks.

"Regina Arlington?", without missing a beat.

"You're not listed in the system.", she comments.

"I just got here this morning."

"Ah.  That explains it.", the woman answers, noddng her head.  Regina was obviously with the new freshman class.

"Your Major?"

"My Major?  I dont have a Major.  I'm a freelancer?"

Eden cadets were usually pretty bright...  surely this one was only a foot slogger... "Infantry?", she hazards a guess.

"Naawwwww.  Mechwarrior.", Regina answers proudly.

"Really?  Have you tested out yet?", surely this was a mistake no one this dim could possible be a Mechwarrior could they?

"Tested out?  I havent even tested in.", Regina frowns confused.

Regina is handed more paperwork and sent to test her level of expertise in the simulators.

~~~~~> Time passes <~~~~~

"Wow.  That was fun.", Regina returns enthusiastic, "Can i do that again?"

"Not this year.  Lets see how you done?", her hand goes out to accept the test results, which Regina hands over.

"Gah~ Top one percentile???
 Recommendations for X-5 operational training?
", a glance up showed Regina playing with a snow globe, shaking it around and watching the snow flurries around a tiny power loader.  A clearing of the throat brings Regina's attention back to heel.

"Very well.  I can see youre going to be busy and best get started.  I'll have your uniform ready for you after your fitting.  What sort of load do you plan on using?"

"Load?", Regina asks with a quizzled expression.

"Yes... your prefered weapon of choice."

"I like missiles."

"Very good, a pair of Sure Shots... Long Range Rocket Fours and Sixes sounds good."

"...but i'm already a sure shot."

"... cocky, huh?  Do you at least know where your mech is parked?"

"Oh that's easy, Hanger Seven at the starport."

"Really?  YOure off for field testing already...", a glance at the test out records confirms it wasnt impossible given the talent.

"Okay... I'll see that it's delivered there, anything else i should know?"

"I like sex?"

"uh... uhm... That's nice.... I guess... wrong office...?"

"I like... Electronic warfare...?"

"Yes... youre EW qualified i see... Offense or Defense?"

"Oh, I'm always the aggressor."

"Right.  Beagle Probe, it is... Go get your fitting i'll have it all bundled up and sent to ... Hanger Seven did you say?"

"Yup."

"Right-O... Good luck on your deployment then."

Regina accepts the paperwork and is off to be fitted, where she's stripped down and manages to get her measurements taken, without losing her underwear.

~~~~~> Time passes <~~~~~

Later at the starport in Hanger Seven, Regina reviews the piles of 'stuff' she's accumulated from her visit to the Academy.

"Wow it's been the best day ever...", she waves a Tech in a white jumpsuit over.

"Hey, can you assign me some help to help me load some of this stuff onto my valkyrie?"

{Fade to black...}




Just a humorous write up on how Regina might have gotten all the stuff she's accumulated in auction, everything was paid for, and simply written into the story.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:57, Fri 23 May 2014.

Regina Arlington
 Alt, 275 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Fri 23 May 2014
at 17:25
Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
{Regina's continued Omni adventures}

Dressed in her newly minted Plugsuit, Regina goes to visit Pax, "Hey Pax.  Whatcha doing".

"Afternoon Regina.  Hip deep in shyt and sinking fast.", Pax comments without looking up from the piles of paper in front of him.

"Sounds messy.", Regina comments looking around to make sure she doesnt step in any Shyt... she just got her new clothes, and they still have that new clothes smell.  It'd be a shame to ruin them with a careless miss step.

Pax finally looks up, "You look like one of those cadets wandering around."

"Do I?  Is that a good thing?"

"Depends on how you look at it.  What can i do for you Reggie.  I'm really busy today."

"Busy?  Busy with what?  Maybe i can help."

Pax looks Regina over, she was easy on the eyes, but she really didnt seem bright enough to help with his problems.  It was really not a happy day for him.  "Yeah... well... Jessa just took a walk... Dono's finding that the local Fauna doesnt agree with him and is having an attack of the hives, and the dragon lady all but sacked our profits on corporate double talk."

"ummm... uh....", Regina blinks and has a blank look.  She couldnt understand why Jessa walking was a problem, she had a really lovely walk this morning and was given all sorts of stuff.  Regina liked deers... why would one attack him with hives... did the local wildlife manipulate bugs to do their bidding... seemed a little far fetch, especially the last about lady dragons going to bed with his money.

"so... what do you need to do about it.", she asks tentatively.  They seemed to be a lot of unrelated problems, no wonder Pax was so stressed.  It sounded like he needed a zookeeper more than a mechwarrior.

"At the moment... mechwarriors...", Pax grumbles.  They were expected to be operational and ready in a few days, and his unit was closer to a pair than a lance.

"Oh, is that all.  I can help with that, ill go round up a few Freelancers for you."

"Can you?", Pax perked.  Sure... that might work.  The Freelancers... were freelancing but there wasnt a reason why it couldnt work,

"Oh... nothing.  You want me to just point them to you or hire them on the spot."

"Right...you can be my first recruit..."

"Ummm... I like being a freelancer... hates when people tell me what to do."

"What if... what if i promoted you.  Made you a corporal?"

"Corporal?", Regina turned the word over in her head, Corporal Arlington, "Okay... i guess that could work."

"Done.  Now go find me some freelancers."

Regina salutes smartly... (well smartly for Regina), and is off to recruit for Pax, coming up Big Jake he's a quick and easy recruit.  He was so bored with guard duty on Burton, that he was practically dying to get into action, the mild skirmish with Regina had only whet his appetite.

Along with Dano, Pax was at a full lance would be a happy puppy... or so Regina thought.

{Fade to black...}

This message was last edited by the player at 18:57, Fri 23 May 2014.

Regina Arlington
 Alt, 276 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Fri 23 May 2014
at 18:00
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
{More of Regina's Omni Adventures}

With days to pass and nothing to do, Regina eventually catchs up to Alexi.

On a far away world, in the middle of operations, with little time for groom, and the crush of operations calling to your attention, Regina was was a pretty distraction.  A dangerous one, that Alexi had wisely decided needed to be kept at arms length.

This was not that world.  There was plenty of time to clean up and look pretty, and... Alexi had to admit, Regina looked really good in her new uniform.  Attractive and flattering that it was on the local cadets, they were stunning on Regina.  She was no half developed juvenile girl.  Everything looked REALLY good on her.  The curve of her hips, the way the fabric bunched between her legs, the way they stretched and hugged her chest.

Alexi was red blooded and not immune to her attentions.  An entire night... and day.. and night were lost with little heard from either....

{Fade to black... cue ominous music}

Lucius was by no means a businessman... hell he wasnt even certain he wanted the title of company commander, but times were feeling pretty good at the moment.  Zoey had taken to medical care on Omni and was doing well.  Alexi and Raith were with him, and things were starting to gel as a unit.  With Regina around, they were just a lethal lance.

He had just cut a deal to swap his (junky) reliable Javelin for one of the Power Loaders that were being phased out of use on Omni.  Hell they might be old news on Omni, but they were plenty new to him.

He was still trying to wrap his head around the comprehensive technical manual when he was told that it was the abbreviated mechwarriors reference guide.

"Super.", he comments darkly.

He was seated at a desk, in an office that was assign for the mercs to use for 'business'.  Which at the moment meant loitering about with a hard drink in one hand and a stoogie in the other.  This entire module concept crap sounded interesting... and useful... if he could manage to get his head wrapped around it.  A knocking on the door bought his attention up.

"'ello Burner.", Regina commented with a little bit of a lilt in her voice.

"Uh. Oh?", It was that tone she used when she was being evasive... when she had done something wrong and was dragging her feet about telling him about it.

"Uh~oh, what?  I didnt say anything.", Regina answers wide eyed oozing innocent.  Lucius was having none of that.

"You dont have to say it.  You just reek trouble today.", Lucius comments waving his cigar around in one hand.  Lucius blew a smoke ring and began counting to ten.  If you wanted to keep your temper, it was always good to get a head start when talking with Regina.

"Oh.... well... it's about your XO.", Regina sniffs under her arm and frown.  It still had that new plugsuit smell, maybe that's what Burner was smelling.

"Alexi?, Alexi is a good kid.  What's the problem?"

"He's going to be out of service for a while?"

"News to me, what happened?"

"We spent some time together?"

"...and?"

"I squished his boy parts."

Lucius shook his head, "Excuse me?"

"Its nothing too serious... he's just ...", Regina looks to one side and starts to scratch at the doorframe, "in an induced coma to speed recovery for a few days... or maybe it was weeks..."

'UGH~', Lucius loved Regina like a kid sister, but she didnt need a mech to be a one woman wrecking machine.

"So... Now i'm a man short when we lance out for operations in a few days."

"nope."

"Nope?  Nope what?"

"You're two pilots short.  Pax made me an offer i couldnt refuse."

"You signed on with Pax without telling me?  What did he promise you."

"He said he would make me a corporal and i wouldnt get bossed around.
 I hate being bossed around.  How do i say no to that?
"

'Why that sneaky #@*$&%'

"So if I make you a sergeant you'll stay?"

"I dunno Burner... He's sort of in a bind, i said I'd help...", Regina had trouble saying no sometimes... it made keeping her hard, but also made attracting her pretty easy too.

"Listen up Reggie.  You owe me.  You put Alexi out of commission so you need to step up and take his place."

"I ... guess... that makes sense."

That was good enough for Lucius, "Right done deal then, you lance with the Iron swords, I'll talk to Tarkin about it.", there was no point sending her to Tarken and risk having him convince her to stay.

{fade to black}




Done without Alexi's, Lucius, or Pax's consent, so if they object, maybe this was just a daydream Regina had... Regardless, Regina wanders around with Sgt. stripes now.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:30, Fri 23 May 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 762 posts
 O2 - 2nd Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 23 May 2014
at 19:08
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"And Reggie?  While you're out and about wandering you can let Raith know that I want to sit and have a chat with everyone out by our unit mech-bays."

He was almost going to stop her again when she turned to leave and he finally noticed her body hugging plugsuit and understood how poor Alexi had fallen into her man-breaker hands.  That girl was the proverbial Black Widow Natasha Kerensky but the Inner Sphere didn't know her like he did yet.  Lucius shook his head after Reggie left his office and swore that if she wasn't the death of herself one of these days she was going to be the death of him.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:41, Fri 23 May 2014.

Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 437 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Fri 23 May 2014
at 19:13
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Next day Ana approached Captain Evans.
"Captain, You requested I review my girls.
I've got the writeups for you"

she held out several sheets of paper, Less than expected, but more than she'd wanted  to write.

"My schedules open right now, if you want me to stick around and answer any questions you may have"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:14, Fri 23 May 2014.

Donovan O'Brien
 player, 275 posts
 Whitworth
 Callsign: Lucky
Fri 23 May 2014
at 23:29
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Helia Quinn:
"That sounds like a good plan, I'll be sure to look them up."

Helia salutes smartly and leaves.

Her first stop is at the hangar to see if any of her lancemates might be about. While there, she overhears Donovan humming to himself and goes over to have a look.

"An impressive machine you have there," she remarks. "Much larger than most of the equipment we use here. What's it's combat load?"

"40 tons of death and destruction, carrying two Longbow LRM-10, three Intek Medium Lasers and piloted by the luckiest guy in town. Name's Donovan, but, I'm called Lucky..."
Helia Quinn
 player, 50 posts
Fri 23 May 2014
at 23:44
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Helia makes a small appreciative noise. "That's a solid amount of firepower. How is it on mobility?"

She pauses, as though trying to remember something, then realizes she hasn't introduced herself. "My name is Helia by the way. I am, or was, I suppose, a cadet here. Now it appears that I will be deploying with the Valkyries."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:16, Sat 24 May 2014.

Donovan O'Brien
 player, 278 posts
 Whitworth
 Callsign: Lucky
Sat 24 May 2014
at 02:02
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Helia Quinn:
Helia makes a small appreciative noise. "That's a solid amount of firepower. How is it on mobility?"

She pauses, as though trying to remember something, then realizes she hasn't introduced herself. "My name is Helia by the way. I am, or was, I suppose, a cadet here. Now it appears that I will be deploying with the Valkyries."

Still laying in his hammock, rocking back and forth, Lucky shakes hands with Helia.

"Pleased to meet you Helia, congratulations on your graduation and being hired by the Valkyries...a decent enough unit, not as good as the Traxxian Light Lancers, but, if you settle for them guys...I mean gals, power to you."


Going back to her question, "Well, he's not the fastest thing out there, but, he can jump 120 meters...Honestly, I don't need to move too quickly into a fight, I'm fire support...and I don't need to run away from a fight too quickly, this baby has some armor on it, and I'm adding another half ton."

Handing over the new updated schematics of his Whitworth, now labeled the Whitworth WTH-1L (for Lucky), that he had drawn up to Helia.

Looks her up and down, "Now that I've shown you mine, perhaps you should show me yours?" Gives her the doe-eyed rogue Irish look he's been practicing...
Helia Quinn
 player, 51 posts
Sat 24 May 2014
at 03:15
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Helia cocks an eyebrow at Lucky's somewhat backhanded compliment, but decides that he probably meant well. She takes the schematics and gives them a quick once over.

"Hm. Not bad. Nine volleys should be plenty for any tactical engagement, though you may find yourself feeling a bit short on strategic endurance. Even so, you still have the lasers to fall back on."

Helia hands them back over, as Donovan's double entendre sails past and into the sunset. "My machine is just over there." She motions towards one of the bays near the other Valkyrie mechs.

Though it was clearly of the same lineage as the other Power Loaders that he had seen in the past, Helia's ride looks like it's still under construction. There are huge, gaping cavities in the torso and legs as well as smaller open ports along the arms.

Noticing his confusion, Helia continues, "Technically it's just a regular X-3, but as you can see, it's definitely non-standard. I was lucky enough to be allowed to serve as a test pilot for some of Omni's newest developments. My mech weighs in at 25 tons when fully loaded, but a full 10 and one quarter tons of it's weight can be re-configured easily. Really, the only thing that separates it from our newest models is some extra engine power and armor." Her expression softens as she speaks, it's clear that Helia has a great deal of fondness for her mech.

She turns back, smiling, "I know it sounds foolish, but I really can't wait to get into the field and see what it can do."
Donovan O'Brien
 player, 284 posts
 Whitworth
 Callsign: Lucky
Sat 24 May 2014
at 12:16
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"Modular stuff, that's pretty high tech. Kinda of like a Frankenstein, don't need a Large laser, pull it off and drop on a SRM, etc...Drop in a new computer brain, Abby Normal..(chuckles), get it Abby Normal...abnormal...from Young Frankens....never mind."coughs....

{Reference note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q }

"Anyways, I'm sure you'll do fine, just trust in your lance commander and comrades. Don't try to stand toe to toe with anything heavier than you and lastly, here's a bit of luck."
Donovan hands her a silver clasp pin of a 4 leaf clover.

"Maybe after your 1st taste of the rockem sockem, we'll have a whiskey and tell lies about our heroic deeds."

Lucky leans back and starts humming again, "Putting on the Ritz."

[Reference note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1FLZPFI3jc ]
Kitten
 GM, 2799 posts
Sat 24 May 2014
at 15:08
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)

(3 weeks ago...)
Yelana Petrakov, was the Senior Duty Officer at the Haven Starport.  The coming and goings of commerce traffic as well as exploratory expeditions to survey the asteroid belt was normal uneventful.  Events in system had taken a turn for the worse, and it was time to move it up the chain of command to have someone act events before they got out of hand and expensive.

The was a direct line to Omni Towers, but she was dutiful and loathed to use it with out cause.  This probably qualified.

"Hello... Operator?  Patch me through to Pandora..."




Today...
Time had passed well for the Freelancers.  Injuries from healed, battle damage was repaired, purchases were made, and some installed improving the machines of war, other upgraded their rides to heavier and more fearsome machines of mayhem.

While it was a pleasant change of pace, that allowed for recovery, it didnt pay the bills and was not something they wanted to linger on doing for much longer.  Under these circumstances, it was not unwelcome when Margaret requested the presence of the Merc leaders to gather.

"Good afternoon Gentlemen, thank you for attending the meeting.  This is Yelena Petrakov, the Duty officer in charge of the Starport.  She has a problem, that has been cleared to assign to the Freelancers to resolve.  Yelena... This is Steiner, Commander Tarkin, Commander McMurphy, and of course Commander Karkoff...", Margaret makes a gesture for Yelena to step forward and address the merc leaders.

"Right.  Hopefully youve been enjoying your time on Omni, and you're rested.
 I've been monitoring a problem, for a few weeks now and i've determined that something needs to be done, before it escalates into an expensive problem.

 We've been surveying the asteroid field, for promising sites to set and begin mining operations.  During a routine survey it was found that pirates seemed to have taken root in the field.  In active so far... continued observational sorties have concluded that they've been fortifying and stockpiling materials for operations... what sort of operations can not be said, with out closer inspection of the facilities.

Conditions for your operations will be... rather unique.  The mass of the asteroid is not sufficient to sustain an atmosphere, and is airless... Gravity will be light... The airless environment will have your Heat sinks efficiency functioning at 50% efficiency normal.  The hazards of the vacuum of space will make even light damage potentially crippling.

We can provide you with protective suits to protect your mechwarriors from the dangers of decompression, though... they may impede operations of your mechs.  We can not 'force' you to wear these suits, but we believe it would be to the benefit of your pilots to do so.
"

This was going to be a complicated operation.  With any such operations... there were numerous questions to be asked and answered before they executed the operations.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:08, Sat 24 May 2014.

Helia Quinn
 player, 54 posts
Sat 24 May 2014
at 18:03
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
In reply to Donovan O'Brien (msg # 323):

Helia gives Donovan a dubious look as he stumbles through a reference to a movie more than one thousand years old.

"Thank you for the advice, I~ Oh..." Helia takes the pin, clearly not quite sure how to respond or what to do with it.

"Well, thank you. That sounds like a uh... a good plan." Helia leaves Don to his humming, blushing slightly.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 774 posts
 O2 - 2nd Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Sun 25 May 2014
at 03:07
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
"Space operations...haven't one them in awhile.  Have you been able to get a read on the enemy forces?  Space-suited infantry?  Mechs?  Aero assets that could tear us a new one?" asked Luc while he sized up how much itel she was willing to give out and if she was holding anything back from them.
Kurt Steiner
 player, 376 posts
 R4 - Capt.
 Call Sign - Odin
Mon 26 May 2014
at 03:32
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Kurt went for a run around the compound.  After all the missions, and being cooped up on the dropship, it was nice to get back into working out.  It gave him the chance to clear his head and think.  And boy, did he have some thinking to do.

He replayed the meeting with Pandora over and over again in his mind.  He was from Coventry, and the boardroom and the battlefield went hand in hand in Lyran space.  He wasn't surprised by her tactics.  Hit them between the eyes with all the negative items you can possibly scrub up, then sweep them away.  How nice of her to do that.  And, on top of that, offering Eden tech at cost.  Even their X-Series "Power Loaders" were up for sale.

Of course, that meant that if the unit needed replacement parts, or repairs, that they would have to come back to Omni for future "help."  Ceres Metals plays a similar game with the Vindicator.  Omni may be his employer, but Kurt couldn't shake the feeling that this was right out of the Spazz-dealer playbook: get them in; get them hooked; then you own them.

Kurt wouldn't bite at that tasty offering.  He was too cautious for that.  He picked up a spare CASE system - they were too handy at preventing his death to not want a spare, besides, that was Star League tech, not Omni tech.  It might be splitting hairs, outside of their unit CASE was little more than a campfire story in the Inner Sphere, but it was a compromise he could live with.

His run took him past a hanger where 'Mechs, not Loaders, were being displayed.  A completely refurbished Valkyrie stood there, gleaming in the bright day sun.  Kurt slowed down and checked on it.  It was for sale, and the cadets working on it were willing to not only accept his Commando in trade, but would strip out the advanced tech and re-configure the Valkyrie to his specifications, for a fee.  Armageddon Incorporated had fared better than most other units, and he was receiving an increased pay for his new rank of Captain.

It would cost him most of his savings, but the extra armour that the heavier 'Mech offered would be comforting, and the jump jets would make up for the slight reduction in speed.  The weapons load-out would be almost identical to what he currently enjoyed in his Commando, just with a slightly different placement.

Kurt was really glad he had decided to go for a run.

A few days later, Kurt returned to his room from more exercise, and grabbed a shower.  His comm beeped and he saw that they had a mission briefing in 30.  He arrived just in time, his hair still damp.  He listened intently as one of the worst case scenarios for a 'Mech jockey was played out.  Low gravity and zero Atmo meant death was an even more present danger than in a normal firefight.  Space suits can help, but even a small hit could still cripple an Atlas.

Kurt recalled his time at the Nagelring, when his cadet corps had been deployed in Stingers so that they could acclimate to piloting in such conditions.  He remembered that one cadet, Sorenson was his name, pushing the Stinger's jump jets too hard, only to stick the landing and snap the right leg clean off, smashing the cockpit into the ground and depressurizing it.  The seals of his space suit held, but he still cried like a baby while the rest of the corps moved to get him out.

Kurt was brought back to the present, his comm beeped again, his "Super Commando" was ready and was being dropped off at Hanger Seven within 20 minutes.  Perfect, Kurt thought, just in time for field trials.
Helia Quinn
 player, 71 posts
Mon 26 May 2014
at 14:22
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Helia splits her time between practicing in the simulators, triple checking her module selections, and pacing anxiously around the hangar as she waits for the order to mobilize.

"Combat in a vacuum, low gravity, this is going to be... unique." she murmurs to herself.
Joaquin Cortez
 player, 14 posts
 Callsign: "WarDog"
Tue 27 May 2014
at 03:34
Re: Post Mission Seven Roleplaying (Omni)
Joaquin stared as the " Duty Officer " laid out her problems as they were. Taking a long drag on the Cuban and kicking his feet up on the conference table.

The situation was nothing new to the War Dog. Hell if a mission didn't come with a few added complications nowadays, he almost wondered if it was worth the hassle. Everything was a walk in the park after firing on your own House Units and walking out as the Captain-General declares you an outlaw. Joaquin had always walked the path of the mercenary.... it wasn't anything new to him. Hell honor and duty.... all that crap had washed him over years ago. A fat check and a little fame..... that's what put him in the pilot's seat now. Or maybe it was his ego..... no one could really tell.

He drew one of his knives from his coat and placed his other hand's palm down firmly on the table. He began the ritualistic Five Finger Fillet or Knife Game routine he had done a million times before. Gradually increasing the tempo as he made his way through the complex web Joaquin recalled by will at this point.

He turned and looked to the woman, without missing a beat to the pattern.

" Unique is an understatement..... Mechs ain't meant for all that space stuff. That's what Marines are for. This Low-G Combat shit is their cup of tea. Asteroid Fields and Pirates don't seem like that too uncommon a problem. There's got to be a bigger piece to the puzzle you ain't told us.... "

Cortez didn't even bat an eye in her direction as he focused on the knife in his hand and seemed to get more complex in his patten, as the blade weaved in an out of the spaces between his fingers. One would almost wager he was imitating Bishop from Aliens with his precision.

" This sure as hell ain't my first rodeo with Pirates.... most of them can't even lace up their boots. But if they've fortified their position as you said, just what the hell kind of resistance are we expecting to take on? Seems to me they knew something was on that asteroid.... I really don't like surprises..... "

He stabbed the knife down in between his Middle and Ring fingers and drew a glaze in the woman's direction.

" So what's the kick Princess? "

He drew another drag from his Cuban and removed the knife and placed back in its sheath within the recesses of his coat.

Joaquin had spent the last few weeks prior adjusting to the unit. His transfer had been in some ways what he had expected. New faces.... new routines.... the same old song and dance. However, he was surprised upon his first sight into these "Power Loaders" a few jocks piloted. They were a sight he'd never seen before. This from a guy who had just served as part of "Snord's Irregulars." He took note of some of the advanced tech the unit was able to muster and formulated a few ideas of this own. In due time, Joaquin would have to see which of them would come to fruition. For now he spent his free time in the simulators honing his skills with the fellow pilots and doing the routine maintenance on his Spider himself. All things he was accustomed to doing. He spent what few other minutes outside of that in his quarters reading and catching up on current event via HPG.
Kitten
 GM, 2904 posts
Wed 28 May 2014
at 15:02
Pre Mission Eight Roleplaying (Omni)
The mission was green lighted, and there was little to do but start it's execution.

Mechs and the mechwarriors that piloted them into combat were loaded onto Leopards.

The Leopards were oddly configured.  The Aero Bays were refitted for mech operations, and the Horizontal 'flat bed' launch configuration seemed specific to use for lighter mechs {40 tons or less}.  Stacked on top of each other as if they were in a two tier bunk bed.  The lower one were catapulted into space feet first, towards the target.  The top mech would then be lowered down into position and ejected to follow the lead elements into combat.

While it was slower to deploy, it would allow a full company of Power Loaders to deploy.

Arms Inc, Iron Swords and the Valkyries were on one drop ship.

The rest of the freelancers were following in on a Mule.

The Leopard would execute combat deployment, ensuring a dropzone for the mule to deploy, allowing the rest of the Freelancers to deploy was the plan.

Everything went as planned.  The drops were made on the darkside of the Asteroid and unopposed.  The Mule had landed and the rest of the Freelancers deployed in good order.  Time was not their friend.  Every moment they spent unegaged, was time the op force would have to dig in.





The Mercs were forming up and preparing to advance when an open broadcast transmission was picked up.

"Greetings... to what event do we credit your arrival on our little planetoid?

 Had I known we were having company today i would most certain have prepared a more appropriate reception.
"

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 15:03, Wed 28 May 2014.

Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 464 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Thu 29 May 2014
at 15:49
Re: Pre Mission Eight Roleplaying (Omni)
When they landed Anastacia took care to ensure the valkyries were all on their toes, paying attention to their surroundings as  the mule descended to deploy the remaining troops.

Nothing happened, and as theyw ere forming up, the Dragon heaved a sigh of relief.
At least we didn't have to drop into combat this time around she thought to herself, though this wasn't much better, and the blasted space suit was a bloody nuisance.

Ana resolved to get access to the pod technology as soon as she got the chance.

just as that passed her mind, the comms crackled and some unknown man piped up about velcoming commitees and whatnot.

She waited a moment to se e if anyone else were saying anything before she replied to him.
"nothing much really, just here to serve an eviction notice, If you pack up your toys and leave, we won't have to force the issue."

ana started firing up her guns, preparing for battle.
unit comms: "you heard him ladies, prepare to bring the heat"
Kitten
 GM, 2916 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 16:14
Re: Pre Mission Eight Roleplaying (Omni)

"Now why would we do that...

 After spending so much effort to establish a forward base to mine the asteroid fields, why would we just 'pack our toys and leave'.

 We are after all the first souls on this rock, and have claimed it for our own.

 Standard space scavenger rules apply.

 First come... first serve.  Finders keepers, and all that.

 Now why dont you stand down, and we can discuss this like civilized folks over a drink or something.
"
Helia Quinn
 player, 90 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 17:06
Re: Pre Mission Eight Roleplaying (Omni)
Helia felt some apprehension during the drop. There weren't any simulation programs for this. Even so, it wasn't much different from coming down from any other power assisted jump. Helia feathered the controls on the jump jets, landing adroitly.

She could see her lance mates and the rest of the battlegroup fanning out to cover the dropzone and moved to take her position.

The muted thump of her mech's footfalls broke up the eerie silence of space. Scan left, scan right. Check sensors. All systems green. Scan left, scan right, check sensors...

Helia was shocked into the now as the comms crackled to life, sending the pirate's voice echoing through the cockpit. She gripped the control sticks tightly during the following exchange, rapidly scanning the horizon for any incoming threats.

Flicking open the unit comms, she responds:
"Affirmative. Weapons and actuators are green. Ready to engage."

With a deep breath, Helia prepares to enter her first battle.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:28, Thu 29 May 2014.

Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 467 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G5+,P6+
Thu 29 May 2014
at 19:25
Re: Pre Mission Eight Roleplaying (Omni)
She activated her comms once more, replying to his statement.
"unfortunately you are within Omni territory and we have been hired to remove your presence, I am not personally invested in how this is done, My job will be over once you vacate the system"

A moment of silence before  she activated her comms again.
"I am not interested in murdering your people though, when we disable your mechs, I will permit you the option of having other warriors remove them from the field of battle, no reason to throw away your lives needlessly!"
Ziro Borovei
 player, 4 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 21:11
Re: Pre Mission Eight Roleplaying (Omni)
Even the pirates respected the dangers poised by the vacuum. A sobering thought, only amplified by the relatively 'civil' terms of engagement. As the comm chatter died down, and silence settled into the cockpit, Ziro murmured a quiet offering to the tattered green feather that served as a good luck charm hanging from the weapons console; then thumbed across the small, thread-worn patch of a stylized cartoon monster, that served as back-up good luck (the feather had been known to fail at times).

Ill-at-ease, he muttered to no-one in particular:

"That drink sounded so good too..."
Kitten
 GM, 2923 posts
Thu 29 May 2014
at 21:23
Re: Pre Mission Eight Roleplaying (Omni)


"Right.  We do this the hard way.

 Civil... but hard.  Mount up boys.
"

With that... the future of the planetoid fell into the balance of how the engagement goes.
Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 474 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G4+,P6+
Fri 30 May 2014
at 15:22
Re: Pre Mission Eight Roleplaying (Omni)
"I guess that means we'll have to force you out.
Too bad, I think we could have been friends"

Anastacia sighed, then switched to unit comms.
"Alright everyone, you heard the man, they won't be leaving this rock anytime soon unless we force them, guess it can't be helped!"
Kitten
 GM, 3137 posts
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 16:13
Post Mission Eight.
It was impressive how such a hostile environment could lead to civil rules of engagement.

The Fighting lasted only a minute or so, but was impressively fierce.  Decompression was taking it's toll on both sides, and the weight of numbers was falling in the mercs favor, of this there was no doubt.

As combat was called to a stop, from the withdrawing Op Force, the field was the mercs to keep.  Both sides were quick to remove the damaged and disabled from the field.  The Merc scouts were quick to scout out the battlefield, but found the elusive traces of a bigger problem erased from the presence of the field.

Decisive victory though they may have accomplished the battle for the nameless planetoid was not over.  The data collected, the battle over, the field they had fought so hard for, was now useless.  It was time to fall back, lick their wounds and work out their next move.

The Mule class dropship that was serving as their mobile repair station landed under the safety of the merc guns.  The mechwarrirs, assisted by the small crew of eden techs began work on their mechs.

The Eden techs got much practice flushing out the frost and balancing the environment of limbs that had decompressed in the violent fight.

Medical care was given out to the injured, and with the help of a stim patch or two, all of the mercs would be deemed fit for duty the next day.  The only mech with lingering issues, was Odin's Commando's.  The badly damaged left leg had blown every actuator in the limb, and the best the techs could do was jury rig some general purpose X-3 actuators to function in the commando.  Not quite a perfect fit, the actuators would function well enough on the mech that there would hopefully be no serious issues on the mech's legs.  'Running' was strongly advised against.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 16:14, Tue 24 June 2014.

Regina Arlington
 Alt, 305 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 16:20
Post Mission Eight.
Regina flipped the welder to 'off' and took a short break from patching armor on her Valkyrie.  With a yawn and catlike grace to stretching out her body to alleviate the kinks of low gravity space.  It was a simple armor patch, and as such, she was expected to do the work herself... the entire one and a quarter tons of armor...  It was a good thing gravity was so light, and she could manage the work with only a little assistance to move the great slabs of metal in place to weld on.

Regina was rather pleased with the recent fight.  It was a novel battle, that she had found 'fun'.  The lack of munition reloads were a modest concern, but not one she really considered crippling.  They had managed to defeat the op force quickly and with minimal munition expenditure.

There wasnt talk of boosting off yet.  So obviously she would get to enjoy deploying out there again.

She began to hum a happy tune, another added benefit of the light gravity was the stress on her back, was much eased as her slightly top heavy nature became more buoyant.  She could get to like this space combat thing!
Jennifer Cross
 player, 20 posts
 Rook
 Lyran NAIS Cadet
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 16:25
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Jennifer's Raven was in very good shape, no damage, and no ammo expended.

It was actually a rather cowardly state to be found in, when others were showing the wear and tear of brutal combat.  She felt bad, she truly did.

At the moment she was posted on picket duty and making use of the Raven's greater range of detection to stand sentry.  On the off chance that there was a counter attack, they wouldn't be caught unaware.

As she sat there with the vastness of space all around her, she felt rather small.  To take her mind off this she began the work of correlating all the information the mercs had gathered.

'What exactly was here, that justified the deployment of a battalion of mechs to slug it out with one another under such harsh conditions?'

Jen bit her lip thoughtfully as the big picture slowly started to piece together for her.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 877 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 16:27
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Luc's now broken in X-3a needed only a minimal amount of patching from the Commando's attentions.  He was done with his repairs quickly and he knew that neither Raith or Jen had sustained any damage from the fight leaving only Regina who took a beating from the Annihilator.  He decided to drop by her before taling to Jen about what he Raven had been able to detect about the craters.

Pushing off from his bay he floated over the the happy-go-lucky Regina and her perky floating assets, "Good job out there Reggie.  How is your baby?"
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 306 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 16:36
Re: Post Mission Eight.
"Fun Fun Fun!", Regina perks out in a chit chatting manner.

Regina blinks and thinks about it a bit.  She gropes both her breast in front of Lucius and seems thoughtful about it for a moment.

"They're lighter... I think fuller too.
 Sorta... wierd... like they're filled with helium?
", Regina looks up and gives Lucius a quirky look wondering why Burner was curious about her babies.

"OH...
 Wait... you meant...
", Regina thumbs over her shoulder at her shoulder, and seems shamelessly unabashed.  The girl had no modesty or shame.

"She's fine.  Didnt even decompress.  Just had a ton... maybe a little over a ton of armor scraped off.  Though on this planetoid... maybe a little under a ton?  Meta physics... wierd.  We deploying for another fight then.", Regina comments not as a question but a rather observant statement of fact.
Helia Quinn
 player, 179 posts
 R0 (Mechwarrior)
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 16:42
Re: Post Mission Eight.
The flood of adrenaline released by finally joining the battle saw Helia charging her mech up the side of the crater with enough speed to briefly escape the planetoid's gravity. Just as she brought her weapons to bear on the tiny Locust huddled in the center of the crater, her comm crackled to life, "Cease fire! Cease fire! The enemy has signaled their withdrawal."

Helia sighed, releasing a breath she hadn't realized she was holding as her mech touched down in the powdery regolith.

Undamaged, and with only a single round of ammunition expended, Helia found herself standing sentry over the Mule as her disabled comrades were recovered and repaired.
Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 565 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G4+,P6+
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 16:43
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Anastacia sighed as she left the cockpit  of her loader, then turned to her lance and smiled.
"good job girls, Lets get and parse the data from the crater scans, see if we can figure out why they were her ein the first place!"
She saluted the girls and moved on to grab some much needed food.

after picking up the boring mulch called food on a dropship, she went to speak to lucious.
She was quite intrigued to find out what a pilot of a regular mech thought of the loader, any improvement she might think of, which she could bring up the next time she spoke to the people back at new eden.

She found him speaking to that crazy religious girl, Regina, and waited a moment for an opening in conversation.

"So how do you like it?"
She indicated the loader with her thumb, and found a crate to lean against.

she chuckled at reginas comments.
"this is why we call it mass and not weight, Mass remains unaltered by gravity while weight is measured based on amss as affected by it"

She tried to ignore the extra dose of crazy the girl was radiating after the battle.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 878 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 16:48
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Luc could help but grin and laugh and her groping herself in front of him and now knew she thought of her breasts are her babies.  Ever since he'd first met her she had fell into that space cadet sister that needed his help more than the hot but disturbed woman that she was that he'd otherwise have gone after, "They are fuller.  A by-product of zero-g and how the body reacts to it.  Enjoy it while you can."

Nodding his head to her second question he affirmed her statement, "Yup.  Lots of data from all the scanning but I haven't had a chance to talk to Jen yet about what it actually means since she saw multiple craters and could extrapolate more."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:10, Tue 24 June 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 879 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 17:16
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Looking over to Anastasia at her question as to the power loader he tilted his head a bit and took out a cigar to chew on the end of, "She's new and needs to be broken in some more before I could tell you for certain.  That said as much as I pushed the actuators they didn't freeze up or fall apart so I think that's a good sign, but the targeting matrix for the sword could be refined.  That or else when it was loaded on someone forgot to tighten some bolts...when I used it the thing felt like it was ready to wobble off its arm.  On the other hand I've got mixed feelings about the way the pod system works.  It's great for quick combat swaps but for optimal loads it's a bit lacking.  Maybe that's cause I don't have access to all your toys but it's what I've got for you at the moment..."
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 307 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 17:23
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Regina made an impatient face, as the pushy Valkyrie pilot shows up to discuss stuff with Lucius.  It was the last thing that Lucius got to see before Regina flips the welding mask back on to cover her face.  There was a brief clicking sound and then a whooshing sound as Regina went back to work to weld quickly.

Welding was expected to be quick and efficient since, the amount of air the torches used was considered extravagant.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 880 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 17:35
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Luc took the cigar out of his mouth and started moving it reflexively to Reggie's welding torch to light the end before he sighed.  No smoking in space when it isn't your ship.  He stopped himself and put the cigar back into his mouth and figured he'd keep talking to Reggie after she was done and Ana had gotten all the questions out.
Anastasia Karkoff
 player, 566 posts
 Rank 4: Force commander
 Dragon, Ld4, G4+,P6+
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 18:53
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Ana was about to say something, when luc stopped his motion, she chuckled.
"ah, in that case I will leave you to yours"

She started moving away, but then stopped.
"If you have anything in the future, feel free to ask, or let me know, any feedback is much appreciated"
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 881 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 19:07
Re: Post Mission Eight.
"I'll keep it in mind Karkoff," Luc replied with a nod.

He knew that Reggie would be busy for a bit so he left her to her own devices for the time being.  Heading back to his X-3a he climbed into the cockpit and pulled on his helmet to engage secure comms so he could talk to Jennifer while she was out keeping watch to see if she had made any headway with the data.

++Rook.  Burner here.  Anything on that data yet?++
Jennifer Cross
 player, 21 posts
 Rook
 Lyran NAIS Cadet
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 20:52
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Jen was still browsing through the accumulated data, and trying to make sense of it all.  All while keeping a watchful eye for potential counter attacks.

"Hmmm...?", Jen comments distracted.

"I'm on over watch duty you know.  Not that theres anything to watch.  I think that first encounter was messy enough that they're busy fixing the decompression damage too."

"There's something funny about that field of craters.  It's sort of outlandish, so i dont want to embarrass myself til i've had time to confirm my thoughts on what's happening here.", there was a short pause.

"Give me till my watch is over, and i'll get back to you on my findings.", she says simply.

Kitty Note:  Jen will slowly unravel the details for the plot of the next mission.  The mission is not ready at this time, so i'm not ready to give away the plot at this time either.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 882 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 20:57
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Luc chuckled, ++Of course you are and of course they won't attack now.  We all have embarassing moments and in the Ironswords it's best to just get them over with.  You'll learn that if you stick with us long enough, but take your time and get it right...even if it is outlandish, and let me know when you have something solid.  Burner Out.++

Taking his neurohelmet off he crawled his way out of the X-3a and found himself a good spot to watch the various women in the merc teams.  It was times like this that he missed Echo because he could get her riled up with only a little innuendo and speed up the waiting before the storm.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 884 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 00:45
Re: Post Mission Eight.
As he floated around he heard Echo's name being mentioned by the techs and is surprised him a bit.  He thought that she had gone on to different merc pastures or back to the 'Mothership' on Eden to teach the clueless Edenite cadets how to really fight...or well rather try to fight.  Pushing his way over to Elaine he tapped her on the shoulder, "Elaine...what's this I hear about Echo being here?  I don't remember seeing her ride being on board."
Akarian Euclid
 player, 72 posts
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 06:42
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Akarian was sitting below Phoenix having no need for repairs, his mind was swirling around the battle of moments earlier still. He wasn't sure what to think about rules of engagement having been drawn up and honored. Was this not the realm of battle and death? Surely it would have been better to press the offensive while they had it, and have eliminated the enemy units or pilots for good. Now he suspected he would have to chance death once more against the enemy, and in this cursed vacuum of space.
Joaquin Cortez
 player, 58 posts
 Callsign: "WarDog"
 Spider (SDR-5V)
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 15:16
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Joaquin sat in his Spider fuming over the situation....

Lucky Son of a B*tch!!! ......

When the Spider was finally in the repair bay, Joaquin stayed in his cockpit. He called over to Command.

" This is War Dog. I want to request time to go through the battle logs in the simulator. Anyone who wants to join is welcome. "

He loaded up the simulator and began to study what he could of done better, and watching the enemy tactics.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 15:51, Wed 25 June 2014.

Donovan O'Brien
 player, 353 posts
 Whitworth
 Callsign: Lucky
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 15:46
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Lucky helps fix up the light armor damage to his Whitworth, then starts walking around looking for somebody in the ordnance department...
quote:
1/2 ton of standard munitions {1/4 ton of specialty ammo}

"Hey, hhhmmm, where's the LRMs, somebody had mentioned earlier there were some crates laying around, but I'm not seeing any."
Kitten
 GM, 3159 posts
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 16:18
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Joaquin Cortez:
Joaquin sat in his Spider fuming over the situation....

Lucky Son of a B*tch!!! ......

When the Spider was finally in the repair bay, Joaquin stayed in his cockpit. He called over to Command.

" This is War Dog. I want to request time to go through the battle logs in the simulator. Anyone who wants to join is welcome. "

He loaded up the simulator and began to study what he could of done better, and watching the enemy tactics.



No simulators really... You're using a Mule, with Technical repair stuff in cargo for repairs... youre lucky to have parts for repairs, something like a Simulator isnt going to be available...
Roger Simms
 player, 259 posts
 Call sign: Viking
 lrms 10/11,10/10
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 16:32
Re: Post Mission Eight.
 After securing his mech he hands his report in and just shook his head at those burners who had raced ahead of the back up force and engaged that heavy load op forces.

 He did come to the understanding that fighting in a airless rock was not much fun,still the op force bandits had acted in fairness so he would cut them some slack as much as any decent merc unit.

 Stopping off at the infirmary he stops in to see how the CO was doing, "Hey Commander, glad to see you still in one piece, had a chill when your status went blank on our team thread. How is your ride?, going to be able to patch it together again?."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:33, Wed 25 June 2014.

Joaquin Cortez
 player, 59 posts
 Callsign: "WarDog"
 Spider (SDR-5V)
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 19:09
Re: Post Mission Eight.
In reply to Kitten (msg # 357):

I will just say he loads the tactical information/play back from the HUD system then. Trying to analyze what he can from the scenario from that then.
Ziro Borovei
 player, 22 posts
Wed 25 Jun 2014
at 21:20
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Ziro paces nervously as the techs look over his 'mech. Fortunately the engagement had been relatively short, which cut down on the repair time. However, ammunition seemed to be in short supply. He tries to help the techs out as best as he can with a welder, but ends up mostly making small talk.

"Do you think the cold had any negative effect on the heat sinks? I'm of the opinion that it hasn't had any long term impact, but you never know..."

Ziro takes an interest in their work, having heard stories of the advanced technology coming out of Eden. When he senses his inquisitive nature getting in the way of repairwork, he meanders about, trying to acquaint himself with the other pilots.
Jennifer Cross
 player, 25 posts
 Rook
 Lyran NAIS Cadet
Mon 14 Jul 2014
at 15:48
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Jennifer had doubled and triple checked her findings and she still wasnt certain about the findings.  They  were simply too outlandish to consider, and yet... what else could they be?

She spends the rest of her tour of duty on sentry duty mulling over the implications and exactly what to say when it the time comes to debrief the lance commanders.

Space in the Mule was at a premium, but the captain of the dropship was gracious and allowed the use of his stateroom to be used for the debriefing.  The small bunk bed against the wall would allow for three to be seated.  There was a small desk that would serve as seating for two more, while another might stand in the doorway for the cramp debriefing.

Present were Kurt Steiner, Lucius McMurphy, Pax Tarkin, Anastasia Karkoff, and representing the Freelancers, Regina Arlington.

When all were present she began a brief outline of the situation at hand.

"I just spent the last hour reviewing the intel we gathered from our encounter with the Op Force.  I thought it was odd that many of the craters were so perfectly formed.  When i say perfect, i mean the symmetry and depth of the craters.  They were nearly perfect circles.", Jen thought for a moment as to why this was odd.

"When a meteor strikes the surface, they will do so at an 'angle', skewing the shape of the crater into something more 'oval'.  A perfect circle, means that the meteor would have had to have struck at a perfectly perpendicular angle.... Every time."

"So... i thought... maybe they werent formed by meteor strikes and i made an effort to examine the craters more throughly."

Jen pulls up some scans on a noteputer she has hooked up the a small monitor on the desk.

"Look... these three big ones... Metallugical scans... They're alloys.  They dont appear naturally in nature... they're man made."

After a few moments she changes to a new screen.

"... and these heat signatures... well... less the presence of the mechs...", the screen adjusts and 'hot' blips vanish, leaving heat traces over the three craters of interest.

"There are thermal readings in them.", Jennifer pauses and makes an uncertain face, "I think... I think these are engines...  Used to propel the planetoid slowly through space.  Spaced out and directional angles seem to suggest vague course corrections are possible as well.  I've checked with the Captain Anderson {the dropship captain}, the current course of this planetoid will bring it dangerously close to Omni.  A few blast of those engines to correct the course over time, will almost certainly put it on a direct course with Omni.

If that's allowed... it would trigger an event horizon... a potentially world ending event for the inhabitants of Omni.
"

Jen waits a moment to let that sink in, and gauge the reactions from the mech commanders.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:49, Mon 14 July 2014.

Regina Arlington
 Alt, 308 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Reggie'
Mon 14 Jul 2014
at 15:51
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Regina didnt care much for Jennifer, she seemed much much much too serious and self absorbed.  Life was much too short for such seriousness.  What she was describing seemed outlandish and unlikely.  The cost and expense of such an ploy was impressively expensive, not to mention the total disregard for life.

"Event Horizon?

 Is that... like a pretty sunset?
"
Jennifer Cross
 player, 26 posts
 Rook
 Lyran NAIS Cadet
Mon 14 Jul 2014
at 15:54
Re: Post Mission Eight.
"No... not quite.

 It's said that large collisions like this can cause severe climate changes, as well as kick up dirt into the atmosphere blotting out sunlight for significant parts of the planet.  If the planet stays habitable, I'm not sure what changes would occur, but it wont be the pleasant tropical atmosphere that's currently enjoyed.  .

We need to capture the 'bridge', or at the very least 'destroy' it so that they cant make course corrections.
"
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1103 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 16:27
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Luc sat back and watched the battle-rom from his duels against the Omni cadets as well as all the other mercenaries that were there competing...never knew when he would spot new talent or old talent that had passed a cusp and was worth courting to sign up to the unit.  Ever since the last engagement where he had to split Rook off into her own zone of control he'd done some minor modifications on the comms systems in the X-3a...

...it was at this particular point that he realized that his 'extra-curricular' work might have been the cause for his targeting computers electronic jitters.  With a sigh he went back to watching the vids until he saw the individual in a ChIPs uniform walking towards him.  With a grin he stood up and greeted her while enjoying her assets, "You Charter Interstellar Postal Service gals are the best.  I take it that is the delivery for me?"

He held out his identification and she gave him a scowl as she pulled out a scanner and verified his credentials before looking back up to him, "Thumb print here and sign here..."

Pressing his thumb against the scanner to verify himself further he then signed the screen and reached his hand out for the briefcase that she had been carrying...a plain looking titanium sealed thing.  With a shake of her head she handed the case over to him, the external light flashing from red to yellow to green confirming his entire grip print was valid for him to open the package.  To which she then added rotely, "Thank you for using Charter Interstellar Postal Service, we hope to continue to provide our services to you in the future."

Luc chuckled again quietly as she walked away, "You bet I will..."  Sitting back down he carefully cacked the case open and smiled at the contents within.
Penny Plenty
 player, 116 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Gumdrop
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 21:45
Re: Post Mission Eight.
* Lights *

* Camera *

* Action *

"HellllloooOOOooooOOooooo!!!

 SOLARIS!

 We're taking our show on the road a few seasons as we follow the trail of mystery Lostech to the little known planet on the periphery known simply as... 'Omni'.  While i had no idea what to expect when we packed up for this adventure, i have to say i cant believe i'm being paid for this.  It is GORGEOUS out here.
"

* Cameras pan out to show Penny standing on a beach, dressed in a bikini with palm trees swaying in the gentle breeze behind her. *

"While you might think i'm here on vacation, i'm actually here following the trickle of LosTech being produced and sold by....", makes air quote motions with her fingers, "... mystery producers 'Omni Corporation'.  Who are they?  How are they producing LosTech?  Who do you have to shoot to take their place in line to buy their goods?  These and other intriguing questions will be answered in future episodes of Penny Plenty and Pussy Cat Brigade!"

* CUT *

"How's it look?", Penny asks Lily, her Camerawoman.

Lily makes a so~so motion with her hand.

"Maybe too much glare from the sun.  Will have to see in production.  We'll re shoot it if we have to."

Penny nods, "That's fine.  Rick said he cleared the red tape to get me a position with some unit called the Ironsides."

"Bor~ring...", Lily rolls her eyes as she packs up the camera.

"Yeah... I know.  I can see the ratings plumeting now.  It'll be good for my street cred to actually do a little time in a real unit and... you know... maybe see some action."

"Just dont get yourself killed.  It'd be great for ratings, but what will we do next season?"

"Your concern over my health is touching.", Penny trades air kisses with Lily and saunters off the beach to change for her meeting with Iron Swords.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:46, Mon 08 Sept 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1174 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Mon 8 Sep 2014
at 23:14
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Luc had taken the case and its contents back to his Loader and left it in the cockpit.  Regina thought that Blake was inspiring but simple fact was she was still alive so it meant something even if he wasn't a religious fanatic like her.  Once done with things he read his messages on the comm-pad and swore.  Jen had used the opt-out clause in the contract that they had.  She'd paid for armour already but her EW gear was going.

He would have missed the next message on the pad if he hadn't stubbed his toe as he walked, and sworn even louder as he came crashing down to the floor and the message was staring him in the face...some Solaris flunkie had come out this way to do her 'multi-network holo-show' and was looking to do some time in a unit to cover expenses.  Coverage could be both good and bad for the Ironswords but he was up a creek without a proverbial paddle.

Standing back up he finally got to her name and holo-advert and he couldn't help but say it out loud, "Penny Plenty?"
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 59 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 00:53
Re: Post Mission Eight.

"...and plenty of Penny." Olaf's voice chimed in, quoting the popular slogan from last season's run of Pussy Cat Brigade.  Stepping out from from behind a pallet load of missiles loaded onto a gantry and bound for his Whitworth he asked: "What's the story boss?  Catching up on last year's tabloid holovids?"
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1175 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 01:09
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Lucius laughed a good raucous laugh, "Was there a leak that showed her plenty or something to be in the tabloid holovids?"

He shook his head before sighing, "Jenny decided to use the opt-out clause in her contract.  She left this morning on the dropship heading out.  That's the reason I was swearing."  He then grinned wide, "Course that means good things for you Olaf.  Congrats, you're XO till you die or I find someone better."

He tapped the compad though before continuing, "That brings us to Penny, Penny, Penny and her Pussy Cat Brigade.  If you liked her show you're going to get an up close and personal with her.  She's out here on Omni doing her show and one of her people, Rick, sent a message letting me know that she wanted in on one of the Merc units operating to 'defray production costs' and 'get a real glimpse' of the life of the Merc out in the Periphery and what they do to make ends meet."

Luc sighed again, "Thing is she actually runs a setup almost identical to Jenny so saying no, after knowing we need someone with those skills and gear, would be moronic.  I sent the approval to Rick just a moment ago."
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 63 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 01:42
Re: Post Mission Eight.
"XO, hunh?" he replied, wiping his hands with a rag and plucking the pad out of Lucius' hands.  "Let's see what kind of mess we're getting into then." he said with a wide and genuine smile to match his Lieutenant's.

Scanning the advert and associated mech stats he mused wryly, "Well, her gear sure checks out." leaving a barely perceptible pause to allow the innuendo to settle in he continued: "If she can shoot as well as she jabbers we'll be all set.  I suppose 'defraying production costs' is as good as any reason to decide to get shot at for a living.  If nothing else it's more honest than some of the reasons I've heard."  Embracing his new role as XO he added: "I'll get Emily to see to it that the techs give her Raven a once over.  While they're at it, I'll get them to do the best they can to keep her hamming it up for the cameras to a minimum and prevent any delay in getting combat ready before we lift for the raid."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1178 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 01:54
Re: Post Mission Eight.
He reached into his pocket and pulled out the bars for his XO, despite having many of them Luc's pocket never seemed to be empty of the promotion...something that a long timer might be warry about when he uses the slogan 'Till your dead or I find someone better...' and left his own response, "I'll believe the gear when I see it in person..."

"At a guess defraying production costs is probably this Rick's idea.  We'll see if I'm wrong when we finally meet her." added Luc as he handed them over to Olaf.

"Don't forget to update her mechs comm protocols like everyone else is doing.  She may not be with us for the long haul but I'd rather keep her alive and saying good things.  You never know we might actually snag a contract outside the Periphery that pays better than Omni with the right coverage..." he laughed, "Not likely though."
Penny Plenty
 player, 118 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 03:56
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Penny waited for Lily to set up and give her the nod.  She got a good look at the outside of the building.  It was... pretty.  Much too nice and clean.  She was use to the grungy back alleys of solaris, or the smoke houses of Canopus.  This... place had a tidy clean look to it that made her nervous.

Lily's snapping fingers got Penny's attention back to business.  Lily was making a nodding motion towards the door.  Penny took a deep breath and got into her bubbly role.  The walk to the door had to be catwalk perfect.  Lily was taking a worms eye view of the door, and would be taking a shot of her from the ground up.  She always looked taller than she really was because of that.

At the moment she was dressed up in her Cowgirl costume (like a Dallas Cowgirl cheerleader outfit almost, but with Chaps and a Hat).  Her legs looked about a mile long when she did that.  There was only the faint clicking of the heels on the ground as she walked, thank god she managed to talk Rick out of wearing the spurs, the jingling as she walks was annoying.  About the only thing that the camera had to use for a scale, was the Sternsnacht Heavy Pistol.  She could barely pronouce it, and it looked huge in her hands, but she was actually a pretty good shot with it.  The only thing out of place was her trademark (charms style) Lolipop bulging against one of her cheeks.

The door opened and air moderated by central air gave her good bumps and made her all sorts of perky.  Penny all but sashays through the door, Lily moving slowly along behind her to film her progress.  The first plaque on the directory was duct taped over obscuring it.

"Hawks... Ironswords... Lancers... Valkyries.", Penny turns to the Camera and gives a saucy grin.

"I guess it's time to meet my lancemates."

Lily finishs the brief segment and turns the camera off, "You want me to film the meet candid like, or clear it with them first."

Penny flicks the rim of her cowboy hat up thoughtfully.  That simple move seemed to make her less sultry and more whimiscal.

"We're gonna be working with these people for a bit Lily... or that's the plan.  Let go for polite and not intrude on their privacy too much."

It didnt take them too long to find their way to what passed for the Iron Sword's Hanger.

"Oh~!  This is cool.", Penny makes an exciting rolling motion with her arm, which Lily hastens to act on.

"Some primo vintage stuff here folks.  We're a long way from the Combine front, but two vintange JR7-F Jenners seem to have found their way to the hanger bay... and... theres a WHT-1 Whitworth... all familiar friends from past episodes but... whats this?"

Lily focus' the camera on Lucius' X-3a Powerloader.

"This little beast... too large for a Wasp... too small for a Phoenix Hawk... Could almost pass as a Valkyrie... Could this be .... dare i say it?  A power loader?  or... just a bastardized Valkyrie fitted with a Solaris Sword?"

The thing did look like a Valkyrie... A valkyrie with mech sized milk crates on it's shoulds and Dervish like paddles for one of it's hands.  Penny takes the lollipop out of her mouth and winks at the Camera.

"We'll be back after a word from our sponsers to introduce you to the hot pilots of these groovy rides... tata for now kiddies."

With that Lily turns the camera off again, "Pretty standard stuff.... except that... thing.  If it's a powerloader... it's ugly."

Penny could only nod agreement, "With those boxy shoulders it's not very streamlined.  It'll need a powerful engine to move quick, and it's aero dynamics will be about as good as a Javelins.  Looks like a deathtrap if you ask me.  I'll ride my Gumdrop express any day of the week and twice on Sunday."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:04, Tue 09 Sept 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1180 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 04:48
Re: Post Mission Eight.
Luc used the back of his hand to tap Olaf on the shoulder when he saw Penny and her film crew roll on into the hanger.  He give his new XO a raised eyebrow at just how perky Penny still was before he started listening in to her amusing narration for her fans and subscribers.  Once she was done with the cameras rolling and giving out her own two thoughts about the Javelin and the Loader he coughed with a grin to draw her attention away from the mechs and over to Olaf and himself.

"Not nearly as top-heavy as a Javelin and in a pinch she can keep pace with the Jenners in a flat run under the right circumstances.  You are right about one thing, she's an ugly girl but she's no deathtrap.  Currently she's got a Doombud-6 on the left; Sword on the right; Diverse Optics Type 2 Medium Lasers in each side torso; a custom targeting system and almost as much armour as your Raven if my spec-sheet from Rick is correct."
Penny Plenty
 player, 122 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 17:50
Re: Post Mission Eight.
"Ugly is.. as ugly does.  Ugly doesnt sell well on Holovids.", Penny notices the two mercs lingering around.  They were scruffy and smelled... like... well like... guys.  They werent pretty, but then again they werent paid to be pretty.  They did look rugged though.  The hairy one, sort of reminded of 'The Grizzly', a Solaris pilot that had a fondness for crushing his opponents in the arena.  The bald one...Penny tilts her head and regards Lucius for a moment, was sort of sexy.  He had that older self confident look that was sometimes appealing.

Penny tips her hat with a slight flourish and bows slightly, "Lt. Penny Plenty... I believe Rick Mannings cleared the red tape for me?  This is my gal Friday, Sgt. Pepper."

Lily gives Luc and Olaf a big grinned smile and waves a few fingers at them.  She looks like she's wondering if she should be filming this, "You can just call me Lily if were not on camera."

"Penny works for me, but my callsign is Gumdrop."

For Olaf, who actually seemed to have some knowledge of her show, this is old news.  Penny's show often revolves around reviewing various military hardware.  Assorted mechs and the weapons at their disposal.  The old concept that sex sells, and nothing was sexier than a pretty girl handling weapons of mass destruction was still a formula that worked.  Assisting her were the Pussy Cat Brigade, which were her assistant technicians that helped her on the show.  Chief among them was Sgt. Pepper.  They had a fan club that was known as the Lollipop Corps, which served to connect her to the fan base.  It was also a means for female personnel in the business to network with one another and help get a start on things.  While there were male members of the Lollipop Corps, they were mostly there for the free eye candy literature, and the chance to occassionally live chat with the Pussy Cats, or if they were lucky Penny herself.  It's fairly common trivia that Penny's has named her Raven 'Skittles'.  Which was known for being an evolving piece of artwork that was modified a little every week by the PC Brigade and the L Corps.

She was known for being juvenile, perky, upbeat, and quirky little catch phrases that often had sexual innuendo.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1183 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 19:05
In media res Mission Ten...
Luc sized her up in the same way when she tilted her head to regard him.  Continuing to run with Olaf's innuendo in his head her gear did seem to check out in person, maybe even better than in the holovids...problem was he needed a EW pilot and a damn good one if they weren't going to get hammered on their next mission, "It could look like the original Mackie or Amaris' Folly the Behemoth for all I care, long as it gets the job done out in the field.  You want something that looks a bit better see if the Omni chicks will give you access to show their X-5, X-6 or the newer A-3 or A-3c models.  These X-3 models are strictly utilitarian unless you mod them and since they use proprietary hardware its not easy to do."

He looked over to her crew and nodded, "Good to meet you Lily, and yeah Rick dealt with the paperwork Penny.  Welcome to the Ironswords.  Olaf Oleeson here is my XO till he dies or I find someone better..." he pointed over to the Whitworth, "that's his baby."  Pointing over to the Jenner-F's he added, "The one on the right is Hassan al-Nasir's, the one on the left is David Crain's.  You'll meet them later when we go over the details of the next contract we just signed on for."

That brought him back to himself, "I'm Lucius McMurphy, Commander of the Ironswords and the X-3a is mine...ugly might not sell but I'm likely one of the only non-Eden pilots to use one of their designs at the moment.  That might sell in the one-off Solaris VII arena mindset."
Penny Plenty
 player, 123 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 19:49
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
"X this... A that... Y bother with all the letters and numbers?

 Cant they just name it something?  These people really need to learn how to market what they're selling.  No wonder word of this stuff barely filters out of the periphery.  This place is like a mythical place.  A regular lost city filled with buried treasure and stuff.
", Penny's eyes turn to Lucius' ride.  It was obvious she had never seen one before but thought it would be overly rude to ask to take it apart.

Penny laughs, "So i have to do to get promoted is engineer the bear's demise?", Penny does a quick slight of hands and a charms pop appears in it which she offers to Olaf.  "Smile sweet heart.  It was a joke.  They're not funny if you have to explain them."

Penny nods at the Lucius' Power Loader, "Does that mean you'll let me take it out for a test drive to see what it can do?", Penny had her little kid winning grin going.  It was hard to tell if it was a calculated one of manipulation, or a natural honest occurance.

"C'mon give you full credit on the piece.  You cant tell me the concept of free advertising to put your name out there is too worthless to consider?", Penny quirks and impish eyebrow as she dangles her bribe to see if Lucius will bite on it.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1184 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 20:26
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Luc shrugged, "They like their numbers and letters and don't seem very keen on selling their wares willy-nilly."

He grinned at her comment about asking what it took to take Olaf's position but kept his thoughts to himself while playing with her offer, "I'll let you play with mine if I get to play with yours.  Credit was going to happen regardless since you'll be part of the Ironswords for at least the next contract..."

Luc knew he wasn't rated to use the EW system but he did want to see how it was setup and how it drew power from the plant.  If he could someday move up and free up tonnage he had been considering either a Beagle or Guardian and this would give him some time to feel up the precursor system.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:28, Tue 09 Sept 2014.

Penny Plenty
 player, 124 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 21:02
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Penny purses her lips and wrinkles her nose a little looking away, sorta the look you might expect if you were force to suck a lemon.  She gives Lily a glance, who just sort of shrugs.

"Fair... is ... Fair.

 Skittles is temperamental and likes a woman's touch.

 I'm going to have to think about that offer.
", Penny stifles a yawn behind the back of he hand.

"Besides i just made planet fall this morning, and i have to get acclimated to local time.

 Let me sleep on it?
", she smiles and waves good bye and nods her head at Lily to depart.

Lily waves good by and mouths the word, "Bye.", before turning to follow Penny out.  It was perhaps... the only evidence that  Penny wasnt a total fluff bunny.  No serious mechwarrior in his right mind would let another person handle a ride they were serious about.  That Penny was reluctant to swap rides to try out was probably a good sign that she might have a use beyond being a target for the Op Force.
David Crain
 player, 457 posts
 R2 - Sergeant
 Callsign: Avenger
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 21:57
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
David had been working on his mech some so the noise from all the equipment had drowned out the recent conversation but when a pause in the work allowed him to hear the conversation he climbed down to see what all the fuss was about.  Wandering over to Lucius and Olaf he arrives just in time to witness the departure of Penny & co.  Appreciating the view but too late to join the conversation he turns towards the other members of the Iron swords.  "Is... that our new EW pilot?" he inquires, "I had heard rumours that we were getting some celebrity but I never heard it would be Penny."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1185 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 22:20
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
"Sure, sleep on it as long as you want." remarked Luc as she turned and left, leaving Lily with a simple wink, smile and nod.

When David made himself appear from his Jenner he laughed, "Yeah, Penny Plenty.  How is it that everyone knows her but me?"
Hassan al-Nasir
 player, 57 posts
 R0 (Mechwarrior)
 Callsign: Scorpion
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 22:30
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
"I do not know this woman, but on my homeworld, she would be beaten for being immodest." Hassan said with a shrug.  He wasn't in agreement with the practice; he simply commented on the fact.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1186 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 22:36
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
"It's a good thing that she isn't on your home-world then.  Harsh.  Civil or religious law?" asked Lucius.  He knew that Hassan was a devout religious man but some societies on their planets kept to one side, the other or a mix of the two.
Hassan al-Nasir
 player, 58 posts
 R0 (Mechwarrior)
 Callsign: Scorpion
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 22:44
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
"A hybrid of Ritsuryō and Sharia law.  Most women in this unit would be ok, but she would be... too much for the Imams to abide." Hassan said as he jotted down comm codes to program into his mech.
Penny Plenty
 player, 125 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 23:10
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Once they were clear of the hanger bay, Penny got the earful she was expecting.

"Are you kidding me?

 You'll sleep on it?

 No money exchange, no future favors, just a straight up exchange of rides and we get to film that thing.
", Lily was Penny's reality check on what needed to be done for business.

"Yeah, I know... I mean.

 I just dont like anyone messing with Skittles.
", Penny all but whine to stall the inevitable weight of Lily's logic.

"C'mon Penny.  You're messing up a good thing, let the geezer joy ride in Skeetles, and lets get some footage on our white whale.", Lily persists.

"Hey.  It's the first day we dont have to do nothing.

 Maybe we can get a look at them from the locals, that's why were here arent we?

 If he owns one of them, how hard can it be to get some footage on one?
"

"Yeah... maybe.  Keep your options open though.", it was nice to walk down the street and be recognized as Penny Plenty, "Hey, lets sign in tonight as Penelope and Lillian."

"Huh?  Why?", Lily give Penny a puzzled look.

"It might be nice.  You know... not too be recognized and worry about people breaking into our room and stealing our panties."

"Panty Raid!", Lily laughs loud enough to draw looks from strangers.  She didnt care, "Sure why not... but they were after YOUR underwear, not mine."

Penny makes a dismissive whatever gesture, "In the dark, yours look as good to steal as mine."

The two wander off and the scene fades to black.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1187 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 23:14
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Luc nodded, "Good to know.  Some units never look past their paycheck, and I'm not interested in being one of them.  If this Penny is famous enough that two out of the three of you know her then us being 'featured' in her ongoing show might lead us to other areas in the Periphery or even back into the Sphere."

He shook his head, "We're to boost soon enough and we'll be taking the battle to the Bull.  The fact that the Ironswords took down their champion Spartacus might make us a target of revenge or to make a name off of, so be wary."
Kitten
 GM, 4034 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 23:30
Re: In media res Mission Ten...

"If you can ignore all the fluff she puts out the for the Neanderthral population, the i shows are actually pretty useful to follow for current vintage tech being produced."

Emily shrugs, "What?  We get Solaris Net out here too, and sometimes it gets boring on a Thrusday night.  It's not like i'm a card carrying lollipop or anything.  I just catch a show here and there."
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1188 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 23:36
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Luc turned to spot Emily appear and add her two c-bills on the matter and smiled, "You sure that's not a lollipop there in your left pocket?"
Hassan al-Nasir
 player, 59 posts
 R0 (Mechwarrior)
 Callsign: Scorpion
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 23:36
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
"Miss Emily, why are you bored on any night?" Hassan said with a friendly and inquisitive smile.  He clearly needed to spend more time in the techbay instead of practicing with iaijutsu in his bunk with his daishō.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:37, Tue 09 Sept 2014.

Kitten
 GM, 4035 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 23:47
Re: In media res Mission Ten...

"Well before i was assigned here, i spent most of my time studying for my placement exams.

 I'm still trying to figure out if being placed here is a punishment or reward.
", Emily pulls out what looks to be a colorful straw.

"Prefer Pixy stixs myself.  When youre late night cramming, or trying to jury rig assemble a leg assembly using arm actuators... the sugar rush is more immediate and satisfying.", Emily nods at Olaf, "You going to use the Lolipop?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:49, Tue 09 Sept 2014.

Hassan al-Nasir
 player, 60 posts
 R0 (Mechwarrior)
 Callsign: Scorpion
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 00:00
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Kitten:
"Prefer Pixy stixs myself.  When youre late night cramming, or trying to jury rig assemble a leg assembly using arm actuators... the sugar rush is more immediate and satisfying.", Emily nods at Olaf, "You going to use the Lolipop?"


Hassan looks at Emily, then Olaf, then again at Lucius.  His face wore a practiced non-expression.

"Sir, if you will excuse me, I must practice my katas." Hassan said with a slight bow, before quickly leaving.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:19, Wed 10 Sept 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1189 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 00:05
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Luc nodded his head to Hassan, "Of course Hassan, enjoy your practice."

He waited till the man was well out of earshot before he turned back to Emily, "I think he likes you Emily."
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 64 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 01:45
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Having remained silent through much of the brush with fame, the big Swede replied casually, "Never had much of a sweet tooth, Emm, but I never shied away from trying new things."

Giving Lucius' comment about Hassan a stiff ignoring, Olaf added: "I'll be up front with you boss, I'm not looking for any exposure, although I suppose it might be inevitable.  Shoot the Whitworth, that's no problem since she's sporting that new paint and wearing the Ironswords badge she's unlikely to be recognized anyway.  I'll keep my ugly mug off camera if it's all the same to you.  Don't need to invite any extra complications into our lives, wakarimasita?"

The Rasalhauger had deliberately lapsed into Japanese for just a moment, a not so subtle reminder that he had left some very loose ends behind back home.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:46, Wed 10 Sept 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1190 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 01:59
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Luc listened to Olaf's reply with a curious air.  He wasn't about to ask the man about his past, likely with the Combine, because that would be rude...not that he wasn't willing to be rude but it wasn't his style with people that he served with or commanded.  He nodded at the end, "I'll talk to them about keeping you off camera then."

He patted the big swede on the shoulder, "Remember you can only run from a problem for so long.  Eventually it catches up to you.  Let me know if you think it might and I'll do what I can to help level the odds or totally crush them."
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 65 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 03:43
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
"Just started running and it has worked out so far." came a slightly strained, but light hearted reply.  Feeling more comfortable with Lucius, David and Emily, he added: "Remind me to fill in the blanks over a couple beers sometime between missions.  For now, we've probably got enough to think about with the Bulls and Pussycats, not to mention a Scorpion with a bit of a heartache."
Kitten
 GM, 4038 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 13:01
Re: In media res Mission Ten...

Emily was thoughtful for a moment as she processed the conversation and watched Hassan go.

"I think... you are either mistaken or teasing me.", she regards Lucius and Olaf.

"Most certainly that was at best an uncertain attempt at engagement in social activities.  If he was more inclined to such operations a more firm attempt would have been made.  Mechwarriors are not known for being sensitive shy sorts.  More likely your lancemate suffers from social trauma.  Which if i understand the laws of male bonding is your duty to correct over an evening of carousing and merry making to acclimate and make him feel welcome."

"or... so i surmise, from what i recall of my readings from, 'Hansen's roughriders guide to bareback riding.'", Emily's lips quiver slightly into a smile hinting at private amusement.

"Oddly enough... the book had little to do with riding animals...but did make for interesting reading."

Emily nods her head slightly and moves off to mull things over, and perhaps refresh her memory of the book, while... perhaps... forgetting that she was suppose to check on an order of ammo and armor for Lucius.
Ziro Borovei
 player, 116 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 18:06
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Elsewhere on Eden...

In between matches, Ziro wanders the corridors of the facility, contemplating relativity. In the last few days he's experienced the same eternity every child who's ever ordered something from the back of a cereal box knows intimately. Six to eight weeks may as well be, 'after the universe has collapsed into a single point and been born anew. Or dissipated, depending on your thinking. Ziro explained this, at length, to one of the technicians after he'd been chided for checking 'seven times in one hour' at the 'mech bays to see if his Hunchback had arrived.

"You see, you say it's been five minutes, but it feels like seven hours. So. I mean, it seems reasonable. Besides, all this extra time I'm experiencing is probably fighting entropy somehow, you know, keeping the universe going. So long as there are products and people awaiting their delivery, we are saving the cosmos itself!" Ziro pauses, and tries to reign in the wild-eyed expression on his face. "Er. But. Today I was wondering if you could direct me to Darius Hawke... I'm to join his new unit. I have this letter and everything."

Ziro holds up a very fancy letter, emblazoned with a wax seal. It looks very official.
Kitten
 GM, 4047 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 19:58
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
Bonnie was not in a good mood.  Just as she had gotten all the paperwork squared away for Arms Inc, thier unit commander decides to pack up and boost home to Steiner Space.  Normally she would be okay with that.  She would return back to the academy and back to working on her advance thesis on the application of white phosphorus rounds for auto canons.

While there was no denying how lethal they could be as munitions, there was the not so small problem of dealing with munition hits.  The erosive nature of the munitions made effective use of CASE to eliminate the threat a very serious problem . . . There was also the volatile nature of the munitions themselves they tended to go off in the clips when exposed to excessive heat.

Bad was bad... now there was this ... this... 'merc' with the attention and life span of a fruit fly irritating her about... some mech with a phallic sized gun on it's shoulder being shipped to Omni.  Really what the hell was he compensating for???

"Real Zero.

 For the last time, the HBK-4G has still not arrived.  Nor will it be arriving anytime soon.  As i've told you before, about a dozen discussions ago, i've spoken with the spaceport and no new dropships are expected for a few days, and that the port is actually 'closed' for the day.

 So....
", Bonnie makes a shooing motion at Ziro, "Go... be free, go find something else to do for 24 hours.  Leave me alone.  I want to finsh this last requisition order for armor that Baron Hawke wants and then close up shop for the day."
Ziro Borovei
 player, 117 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2014
at 22:55
Re: In media res Mission Ten...
"Well, maybe the port is just 'closed' for the day because they needed to make arrangements to bring it in. You never know. I mean, it could be a stealth dropship that arrived without anyone er..." Ziro trails off, finally actually hearing the things he's saying. That wild, earnest hope hasn't left his face, but it is now kept company by crestfallen embarrassment.

He clears his throat.

"Er. Right. It's not here today then. That we know of. Sorry to keep pestering you about it, I am just excited!" Another click of recognition. "Did you say he's a Baron?"

Ziro stared again at the letter, looking at the seal emblazoned upon it.
Kitten
 GM, 4054 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 00:20
Re: In media res Mission Ten...

"You signed on to work with the man, and you dont even know he's a Baron?", she doesnt say it, but the look gives you a hint at the low opinion youre scoring on your mental prowess with her.

"Perhaps.

 You should go acquaint yourself with your company commander, and save yourself further embarassment.
"

Ziro gets the feeling that the assigned tech for the War Hawks, is not the most friendly persona they could have ended up with, or maybe it was his insistent presence that was putting her in a foul mood.
Kitten
 GM, 4277 posts
Mon 6 Oct 2014
at 15:57
Bonnie the jinxed Tech.
Someone in the front office must have had a pretty twisted sense of humor.  All Bonnie wanted to do was sit in a dark corner of some mech bay, and spend her time surfing through through information on the latest and greatest equipment that the inner sphere was capable of producing.

The discovery of the memory core was causing quite a stir, and she could see how it might be a big deal to them.  It wasnt quite 'old' news to everyone one, and now with the entire weight of the inner sphere behind it, advancements on how to kill each other were making a quantum leap.

Someone needed to track it, and it looked like her thesis paper on it, was going to have to wait.  First it was Arms Inc... a unit of psychopaths no doubt... then it was the War Hawks... barbaric sounding name that it was, it was preferable to ... Knights of the White Moon....

What the hell sort of name was that?

There was a little desk card slipped into the slot on the side of her desk that stated what it was Bonnie was suppose to do around the Tech Bay.  The way things were going, she was going to need a new Desk card.  Bonnie was going to delay it as long as possible.  God forbid it looked like she might actually care.

Written on the side of the card was "Bonnie, Techncian for..."  Under her name Arms Inc. was written but crossed out, with the War Hawks written under it.  Bonnie took a moment to draw a big 'X' through the names of the War Hawks and scribbles Knights of the White Moon under it.

It was then that it occurred to her that she had reached a new low.  She was offically a Moonie.  Blake help her, she couldnt wait for this unit to wipe out and hope for a better one.  She was answering to someone with the callsign: Quixotic.

Super.  They probably made blood sacrifices to Aztec goods.  Bonnie reaches over and turns out the desk light.  Maybe if it was dark no one would notice her and they would leave her alone.
Echo Snow
 NPC, 342 posts
 R1 - Space Cadet
 Callsign - 'Princess'
Mon 6 Oct 2014
at 17:08
Olympus has fallen
This takes place after Mission 11, and is a preview to the Next contract, which should start with Mission 14.

Echo was looking over the logistical nightmare that was the unit readiness report.

The excursion to Charleston had gone badly, perhaps the worse that the Freelancers have suffered to date.  While some objectives were achieved they were gained at significant cost.  The trailed of blood and sweat left in the wake was proof enough.  She was going to have to talk to Pandora about doing something to get the unit back on their feet.

They had a symbiotic relationship with the mercenary unit.  They provided season mechwarriors, and Omni provided the best equipment produced in or out of the periphery.  The loss of Arms Inc, the Warhawks, and the Valkries was bad news individually, together it was a terrible toll on the Freelancers core units.

As the they made the jump home, Echo received the first of many surprises.  She loved good surprises, hated bad ones, and unfortunately most of these were bad.

The dropship Aurora was in the area, along with the 101st airwing, lingering near the jump point.  Olympus which was usually in orbit to monitor traffic was no where to be found.  The message from the Aurora was brief.  A mere three words, and yet it's meaning spoke volumes filling Echo and the Crew of the Botany Bay with a ominous sense of dread.

Encrypted message from the Aurora:
Olympus has fallen.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:11, Mon 06 Oct 2014.

Penny Plenty
 player, 179 posts
 R3 - 1st Lt.
 Lollipop
Thu 23 Oct 2014
at 17:38
Re: Olympus has fallen
"Rick, I know you think it was a brillant idea to send me out here and do a show with a real merc unit, but how am i suppose to do a show alone out here?  I mean it's just me and Pepper.  I could really use a little help out here."

{brief pause}

"I dunno... how about some of the Pussy Cats?  Round a few up, pack them up, and ship them out?"

{brief pause}

"Which one's?  It's sort of rough out here, make sure they're more than eye candy.  It hurts ratings when they start showing up dead.  Bright... Versatile... the ones that look good toting big guns inverse to the amount of protective armor they're wearing."

{longer pause}

"Uh huh... uh huh... sure... make sure they have transport.  Quick transport.  Yes... Pepper can help organize them when they get here.  Do i need anything else?  A pay check would be nice.  Comstar still hasnt forwarded my paycheck... uh huh... in the mail you say... This better be worth the rating Rick."

{End conversation fade to black}
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1277 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 24 Oct 2014
at 13:50
Re: Olympus has fallen
Luc had the titanium case with him this time since he had finally finished carefully reading his latest acquisition.  The dry air was actually good for the book compared to the more humid Eden atmosphere.  It was...different...to say the least and he had no doubt that it was worth the price he paid.  Heading around the corner he spotted Regina 'blessing' some of her missiles with her paint again, "Hey Reggie.  I'd been looking for this for some time and finally get my hands on it for my collection.  Though you might enjoy giving it a read.  You can get it back to me when we make it back to Eden or when you're done reading it..."  Flipping the case up he depressed the gene-key lock and the lid popped open slightly.  Spinning it around he let her open it up to see what he was talking about.
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 391 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Fri 24 Oct 2014
at 13:55
Re: Olympus has fallen
Regina looks up with a curious gaze, one eyebrow arched.

"Whatcha got there Burner?", she asks as she puts the tin of paint and her brush down.

There were smudges of comstar blue paint on her left cheek/chin, but it didnt matter, that just added to her charm.  Truth be told, Regina could make just about anything look good, and it was a wonder that Penny hadnt started catching her on camera and pitching to make her a Pussycat.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1280 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 24 Oct 2014
at 14:05
Re: Olympus has fallen
He grinned, "I may not be a follower like you are, but I know that you take it seriously.  So I thought I'd try to get a better understanding of where you were coming from."

He pulled open the case so that she could see what was inside, "I thought that now that I've read through it once I'll think about it and let you take a crack at it.  Maybe quiz me from time to time or help me understand bits and pieces."
Regina Arlington
 Alt, 392 posts
 R0 - Mechwarrior
 Callsign - 'Siren'
Fri 24 Oct 2014
at 14:22
Re: Olympus has fallen
Regina tilts her head a little and looks the book over, her eyes look a little glazed over, and her lips purse a little into a little 'O'.  You have to look away a bit, Regina probably didnt mean anything by it, but she just had a way of oozing a sensual nature that should be part of the Ares Convention ban.  It was a small wonder that Alexi was a hapless victim, one that still hadnt recovered to Lucius' knowledge.  It was a good thing they didnt have 'that' sort of relationship too. Lucius might end up 'broken' too, of course the effort might be worth the breakage, one never knew.

Regina wipes her hands on her thighs, leaving streaks of blue on the jumpsuit before letting the tips of her fingers brush lightly over the gilded cover, and you can tell it looks like she's having a little bit of a religious moment.

"Okay Burner, I'll give it... a look over and let you know what i think.", with almost comical care, Regina packs up the book and wanders off.  She's not seen for ... days it seems after this.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1281 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Fri 24 Oct 2014
at 14:40
Re: Olympus has fallen
Luc certainly couldn't help but think it might be worth being broken by Regina.  He'd be lying to himself if he didn't admit it, "You do that Reggie.  I'm glad you...like it..."
Kitten
 GM, 4698 posts
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 16:00
Re: Olympus has fallen

The Charleston contract, so far, has been one difficult mission after another.  They were sorely looking for some good news.  An Omni scout, with the Callsign 'Whisper' was giving the briefing.  Though she was a mechwarrior, she is also a member of Pandora, Omni's department for Covert affairs.

"It hasnt been easy so far, but now that we've establish a logistical base, we have supplies, and a way off this dust ball.  We're not going to be here long.  The Concordat is already mobilizing and we need to be boosting off to space before they get here.

 We are here to raid, though, and Pandora has been gathering intel on local supply bases where the Concordat is keeping supplies.  We're going to raid these bases and see what they've been hording.  Omni will be providing your units with transports, you break it, you bought it.  The cost will be coming off the end of your contracts.  Use them well and they'll pay for themselves off the booty you haul out.

 We'll be conducting night time ops for the raids.  That's a boon and a curse.  We wont have to deal with the hot climate during the ops, but it'll be dark, and night time fighting rules will be in effect.  Bases will have up to a company of conventional units, though their readiness will be in doubt.  There are static defenses... a Platoon of infantry... and possible patrols of mechs that you will have to deal with.  Clear the defenders, call in the transports and clear out before the reinforcements show up.

 It'll be a simple smash and grab operation.  Doesnt get easier than that.  Questions?
"
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1369 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 16:51
Re: Olympus has fallen
Luc chewed on his unlit cigar, "Yeah, which one is ours and which of the patrol lances are in the region so we know what to expect?"

He pointed to the map that was laid out.  There was a lot of territory there and after talking over the situation with the other units an...arrangement of sorts was worked out.  All of his fast movers had been moved out from his direct command and the heavy hitters had been centralized with him.  Viking's Hunchback and Whisker's Vindicator were under his direct control with Berserker's Whitworth pulling a trailing spot as the Ironsword's newest Logistics Officer.

Luc looked over to his 'new' XO under the Ironsword aegis and still wasn't sold on the man but he had connections that he couldn't deny.  Connections that might help them weather the coming storm as he added, "Morgan...I'm going to take Olaf and Adam to try and draw the largest assets our way once they know we're hitting our designated warehouse.  You take Quentin to stay fast and light."
Olaf Oleeson
 player, 97 posts
 NC-R1 Corporal
 Callsign Berserker
Fri 14 Nov 2014
at 02:16
Re: Olympus has fallen
Olaf looked up from the supply requestions and commodity holdings he had just begun to review, suddenly missing Emily for more than her flighty and flirtatious nature.  Setting the data screen aside, he paged through the mission briefing and nodded at his commander's comments.

"Looks like we're the heavy hitters now," he said, not relishing the idea of the barely medium weight lance being the heaviest involved in the raid.  "Once we get into the thick of it, the fast movers should be able to wreak havoc while we give the bad guys something to shoot at.  Sounds like good fun, let's suit up."
Kitten
 GM, 4857 posts
Tue 9 Dec 2014
at 21:58
Re: Olympus has fallen
The Mercs had gotten their first taste of raiding Charleston, and while there were some snags, for the most part it was nice to get a little bonus loot from doing good work.

There was however now a problem.

"We're on the clock.  Something's gone wrong on Omni.  We've just gotten word that Olympus had gone silent.  Olympus never goes silent.  It over watches all traffic to and from the planet and acts as a beacon to help guide merchant drop ships in, and guide drop ships out to avoid accidents.  It's sole purpose is to be noisy."

Ghost purses her lips unhappily.

"We're not sure what this means, but were making an educated guess that it's not good.  We need to mobilize off Charleston and head home ASAP.  We're making preparations to dust off tonight.  That means that if you're motivated, you have time for one more raid."

Ghost quirks an eyebrow and waits for input to see if the mercs want to go shopping again, or if they've had enough and are ready to dust off for Omni.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:09, Tue 09 Dec 2014.

Hassan al-Nasir
 player, 131 posts
 R0 (Mechwarrior)
 Callsign: Scorpion
Wed 17 Dec 2014
at 15:04
Re: Olympus has fallen
Mechwarrior Hassan al-Nasir roamed the corridors of the dropship, manila envelope clutched tightly in hand.  He was grinning from ear-to-ear, which was a rare for anyone from the Draconis Combine.

”Morning Lieutenant,” he said, stopping to see Luc.  ”Sir, I hate to bother, but I need to know who handles unit paperwork.  I have something I need added to my file.”  It was clear that he was excited by whatever he was carrying.
Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1477 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 17 Dec 2014
at 15:09
Re: Olympus has fallen
Chewing on his cigar he grinned at Hassan, "Sorry that things didn't work out for you in the Legion, Morgan looked like he had some good backers and potential...but it's good to have you back in the fold."

He held out his hand to Hassan and added, "For the moment me since the new quartermaster is still getting settled in.  What have you got there?"
Hassan al-Nasir
 player, 132 posts
 R0 (Mechwarrior)
 Callsign: Scorpion
Wed 17 Dec 2014
at 15:38
Re: Olympus has fallen
Hassan pulled out a sheepskin like paper from the envelope and set it down with pride in front of his unit CO.


                              ComStar

                 General Equivalency Board

                              of Terra

This Certifies that Hassan al-Nasir has satisfactorily completed
the Course of Study in accordance wtih the requirement for graduation
of General Equivalency and is therefore awarded this

                   General Equivalency Diploma

Give on Terra this twentieth day of November, thirty twenty nine.


_Horland Madock_
Precentor, Eta (Distance Learning Division)


"I've been taking distance learning courses and studying between missions for a while now," Hassan said.  Mechwarriors never had a lot of free time, so it must have been difficult for Hassan to fit in all the studying required to earn his GED.  His only prior schooling was his time at the madrasa and martial training at Sun Tzu School of Combat.  Neither emphasized a well-rounded education.

"On the Azami worlds, it was enough to be able to fight and recite the Quran.  But out here things are different.  And since I can't go back, I must learn to adapt.  Part of that is filling in all the gaps about science, math, literature, and social studies." Hassan said.  The young mechwarrior seemed fully committed to his new life as a mercenary.

"I think that much of what I have learned will help both in and out of combat.  My sensor score increased in the simulator after I finished the science material.  And the social science course included a section on feminism, so already my daily interactions with most of the female crew have improved."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:40, Wed 17 Dec 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1482 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 17 Dec 2014
at 16:37
Re: Olympus has fallen
Luc read the paperwork and smiled before looking up to Hassan and stretching out his hand to shake his, "Congratulations Hassan.  Well done indeed."

He folded it carefully back up and added, "I'll make a copy and give you back the original to keep.  That's quite an accomplishment considering how time crunched we are around here...and I have noticed the women on board acting a bit different from before."

He moved the cigar from one side to the other with a knowing look, "Does this mean you might try and ask her out finally?"
Hassan al-Nasir
 player, 133 posts
 R0 (Mechwarrior)
 Callsign: Scorpion
Wed 17 Dec 2014
at 16:48
Re: Olympus has fallen
Lucius McMurphy:
He moved the cigar from one side to the other with a knowing look, "Does this mean you might try and ask her out finally?"


"Actually, I was going to try to buy her," Hassan said.  For a moment, it was easy to think that all those social studies classes hadn't 'taken'.  "Sorry, I mean, hire her," Hassan said, a bit flustered with his words.  English was after all his third language.

"With the restructuring of technician services, I wasn't sure if the unit itself would still have a tech, or if everyone was expected to provide their own.  As you know, the women of Omni have very nice... reputations" Hassan said, almost blushing.  "As technicians of course."

"In any event, I will keep things professional if she works for me, or the unit." Hassan said with a nod.  Luc could sense that Hassan wouldn't let a personal relationship interfere with unit operations.

"Of course, if she doesn't work for either, then that is something all together different."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:53, Wed 17 Dec 2014.

Lucius McMurphy
 player, 1483 posts
 O3 - 1st Lieutenant
 Callsign - 'Burner'
Wed 17 Dec 2014
at 17:17
Re: Olympus has fallen
Luc let out a good laugh and patted Hassan on the shoulder, "I know what you meant, but that was too perfect to not have a good laugh over."

He nodded his head though with a knowing grin, "I'm well aware of their very nice...reputations.  I had one in mind as well that I worked...well with before.  Of course because I happen to be piloting one of their power loaders her knowledge of them would be very helpful in keeping it running..."

He leaned back a little, "I've been working on hiring individuals to handle the overall unit and keep things running on the administrative side.  Reginald Ryann used to work for the Grave Walkers and found himself out this way so I brought him and his team on board...but a personal tech to help you out will make repairs much easier."

He smiled though at the end, "What you do with your personal life isn't my business, and even if she does work for you there isn't anything that says that you couldn't fraternize with her and make it work.  Long as it doesn't impede your performance out in the field you can do just about anything you want Hassan..."
Kitten
 GM, 5023 posts
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 14:10
Re: Olympus has fallen
Gives Hassan, Lucius, Olaf, Penny and Regina each 1xp for RP and closes the thread.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:14, Fri 19 Dec 2014.