[CLOSED] ACT 1: The Ills of Hengistbury.   Posted by GM.Group: archive 0
Delmedus
 player, 369 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 19 HP 21/21
Wed 7 May 2014
at 23:01
Re: Memories of Brockendale
"You go ahead up Conrad, I am going to check the bottom of the well for the scabbard.  I will be right behind you, hopefully I don't kill myself in eight feet of water."  Delmedus then takes a deep breath and goes feeling around the bottom of the well, preferably to find his dagger.
Conrad
 player, 376 posts
 Ranger
 AC 16, HP 28/28
Thu 8 May 2014
at 01:39
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Not noticing any more zombie babies or giant, man-eating fish, Conrad climbs out of the well and shakes the water off like a dog fresh from a swim.
GM
 GM, 445 posts
Thu 8 May 2014
at 12:02
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Fifteen minutes later the five of you are standing outside the well holding the comatose zombie baby heavily swaddled in netting. Conrad and Delmedus are soaked and freezing (you only get half of any healing benefits until you take a long rest and change clothes). The baby starts to move in your arms - it's waking up.
Conrad
 player, 377 posts
 Ranger
 AC 16, HP 28/28
Thu 8 May 2014
at 12:42
Re: Memories of Brockendale
"Think we shoul' put it to res', or give it to it's mum undead?"
Delmedus
 player, 370 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 19 HP 21/21
Thu 8 May 2014
at 13:16
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Delmedus puts his dry clothes back on and looks to Harbek on what to do about the zombie child.
Harbek
 player, 208 posts
Thu 8 May 2014
at 17:06
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Harbek cradles the bloated child and presents his holy symbol to the baby.

"May you rest in peace now my child for your mother awaits you."

Harbek not knowing if the gods will release the child's spirit triple checks the bonds and begins his walk toward where the ghost mother awaits them.

OOC:
The rules don't make it seem that a Turn Undead can kill/release the spirit of undead. So I'm just hoping that the gods will shine on the child and let it go or that once we get the baby to its mother it will go on its own.

Donnel
 player, 186 posts
 AC 14
 HP 25/26
Fri 9 May 2014
at 23:33
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Discreetly, Donnel returns his handful of sticks to the water-proofed compartment of his bag. There were some days when the fish wouldn't bite and more concussive means must be exercised -- after having secured the proper protective wear about his person. Boom! he thinks wistfully.

"How about the chapel for the consecration?" he suggests. "And rapidly, you know," he adds, "before we lose any more nipples," showing enough discretion not to make eye contact with any of the nursemaids.
Delmedus
 player, 371 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 19 HP 21/21
Sun 11 May 2014
at 00:11
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Once Delmedus is finished hitting the side of his head to get the water out of his ears the fighter gives a chuckle at Donnel "Nipples, being drown, this little being is having a time with us.  The chapel does sound like a good idea.  THe quicker we get this over with the quicker we get to go play with a dragon."
Conrad
 player, 378 posts
 Ranger
 AC 16, HP 28/28
Mon 12 May 2014
at 03:34
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Conrad walked into the chapel with the rest of the group, hoping the ghost would give them a warm reception, but fearing the worst.
Rick
 player, 357 posts
 Rician Hawklight (950xp)
 AC 14, HP 14/19
Mon 12 May 2014
at 06:01
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Nervous but hopeful, Rick looked about trying to see what might be lurking, as well as trying to find the best place to reunite baby and mother.
GM
 GM, 446 posts
Mon 12 May 2014
at 10:10
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Harbek's prayer dispels the restless undead spirit inside the innocent child. Its evil wizened face relaxes, something nasty seeps out as it emits a final little gasp, and it falls limp in Harbek's arms. You bring the pathetic thing into the ruined keep and then into the chapel.

Seven battered iron candelabras float in the air near the roof of the chapel, spinning slowly around over your heads as you assemble inside the chapel. The temperature is near zero and there is no sound. The spiralling candelabras keep moving, like as unspoken threat: the ghost is watching, and waiting.
Rick
 player, 359 posts
 Rician Hawklight (950xp)
 AC 14, HP 14/19
Mon 12 May 2014
at 11:06
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Rick turns to Harbek. Perhaps we should do a ritual together? Dedicating the sire of once Lord Pemberton, with a ceremony befitting a Duchess? Or if you think the mother will accept you can do it alone.
Delmedus
 player, 372 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 19 HP 21/21
Mon 12 May 2014
at 12:55
Re: Memories of Brockendale
"Maybe I can help.  It was my great great grandfather who did this and I feel that I should help in some way.  THis is my kin and I want the child and mother at rest."  Delmedus looks towards Harbek to let him know what to do.
Harbek
 player, 209 posts
Mon 12 May 2014
at 13:57
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Haebek sees the wisdom of Delmedus's request. Having released the spirit of the child he feels his part is mostly complete in this mess.

Beneath the floating candelabras Harbek begins his speech after handing over the child to Delmedus.

"A grievous wrong happened to this beautiful child under this roof. Its mother lay in waiting for the child's return. This house has had an awfulness hanging over it due to this wrong doing. This family has been shamed for its deeds and today Ilmater's guidance is best befitting the torturous lives and deaths the Duchess and her child have undergone. Ilmater too has a tortured existence however his is by choice and by sacrifice to those who follow him. In hopes of improving their lives and the lives of others Ilmater takes on the wounds of the evil we do unto each other and ourselves."

A pause for effect.

"May the wounds bestowed unto this family, Duchess, and child be healed hence forth."

Harbek bows his head in prayor for a brief moment and steps aside of the broken and barely recognizable pulpit. He then indicates that Delmedus take his place and say a few words.
Conrad
 player, 379 posts
 Ranger
 AC 16, HP 28/28
Mon 12 May 2014
at 17:10
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Conrad somberly stood nearby in his wet clothes, acting as a funeral witness in mourning.
Delmedus
 player, 373 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 19 HP 21/21
Mon 12 May 2014
at 17:22
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Delmedus step over to the pulpit and holds the child in his arms looking at the deceased child "Many years ago the man that lorded over this did a grevious wrong to you and your mother.  The Pemberton's no longer control this place nor do they lord over your spirits.  We now give your child back to you so that you may both rest in peace.  May the gods grant you the peace and enjoyment that you was denied together in life."

Demedus hands over the child to Harbek allowing the priest to give the child a final prayer so that the servant and child's sould may be at peace.
Harbek
 player, 210 posts
Mon 12 May 2014
at 19:09
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Harbek says the final prayer and holds the baby in a manner that allows the spirit to take it.

"How shall we lay your child to rest?"
Delmedus
 player, 375 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 19 HP 21/21
Mon 12 May 2014
at 19:17
Re: Memories of Brockendale
"Let us find the spirits bones or grave and lay them together.  Anyone think of where that can be?"  Delmedus looks at the others in hopes they have seen something
Rick
 player, 360 posts
 Rician Hawklight (950xp)
 AC 14, HP 14/19
Tue 13 May 2014
at 07:55
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Probably the tower where she won't let us enter.
Conrad
 player, 381 posts
 Ranger
 AC 16, HP 28/28
Tue 13 May 2014
at 08:43
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Conrad and the rest of the group went to the ominous tower, hoping the ghost wouldn't throw things at them on the way.
GM
 GM, 448 posts
Tue 13 May 2014
at 09:24
Re: Memories of Brockendale
The candelabras keep spiralling in the air high above as you complete the sad ceremony in the ruined chapel. But the air feels lighter on you finish it. Something has lifted.

You find the spirit's bones in the back cell of the dungeon, hidden under a blanket. A name is scrawled on the wall: Elanour. You gather up her bones.

Outside in the overgrown castle grounds you bury Eleanour's bones with the remains of her dead child. As you fill int he grave, a gentle wind whistles through the ruins, and then—for a moment—it seems to stop. There is a silence, and you feel a presence, a sense of relief. And then there is nothing except a scrap of parchment, blowing on the wind, landing in the rubble at your feet. The parchment contains only the words THANK YOU.

All that remains is to climb the tower and enter the Master's bedroom. It is better preserved than the rest of the keep, and still contains the old bed and a chest in the corner. The chest is locked but the lock is rusty and the chest is decaying. Prying apart the wooden lid is easy and reveals 142gp and a ruby worth 75gp.

Under the bed you find a scabbard made of red leather and bronze, richly decorated with the Permberton coat of arms, and images of knights slaying dragons. When the sword Dragonbane is placed in the scabbard, it just feels right (Dragonbane now becomes a +1 sword, +3 vs dragons).
Rick
 player, 361 posts
 Rician Hawklight (950xp)
 AC 14, HP 14/19
Tue 13 May 2014
at 12:17
Re: Memories of Brockendale
It feels great to be so helpful!  Now let us save those children!
Delmedus
 player, 376 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 19 HP 21/21
Tue 13 May 2014
at 13:29
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Delmedus is very quiet through the whole ordeal and feels a great realief once they find the note.  "You are correct Rick, we ust ride hard.  With the sword and scabbard reunited I think we may have a fighting chance."
Harbek
 player, 211 posts
Tue 13 May 2014
at 14:23
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Harbek sheds tears as the woman and her child are finally released from this world. It brought him joy to know he could bring happiness to the spirit world as he have brought it to the living. Never did he expect to have that kind of impact in his life. He was a simple Dwarf with simple Dwarf wants and needs. This was beyond those and it felt great.

Steeling himself, Harbek wipes away the tears and agrees with Rick.

"Let us go. Those children won't have long for this world the more we wait."

Harbek gathers his rope and things again and is ready to leave as soon as everyone else is.
GM
 GM, 449 posts
Tue 13 May 2014
at 21:12
Re: Memories of Brockendale
Hurray! Everyone levels up to level 4 & we are ready for Act II!