ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 716 posts
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 15:29
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
You pause and look over the map. It indicates northward. That would take you through the left passage.

You also notice that three, now familiar, flashing lights indicating some kind of threat is ahead down that same tunnel.

The right side tunnel seems to end in a room of some kind.
Delmedus
 player, 925 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 20, HP 65/73
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 16:38
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Delm looks to the right but his now military safety nature is kicking in "Let us go check the room to the right down this tunnel before we go into the trouble area.  I do not want to be surrounded on both sides if they sound an alarm."
Ruby Ironraven
 player, 583 posts
 Cleric 1:4 2:3 3:3 D:2
 AC:21 HP:45/45 HD:6/6
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 14:47
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
In reply to Delmedus (msg # 645):

"Agreed."
Makal Yorn
 player, 259 posts
 Cleric of Chauntea
 AC 18 HP 45/45
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 15:00
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Makal nods.  "That sounds good.  If it's just a single room, we should explore that first before moving onto the threats."
GM
 GM, 717 posts
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 17:50
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Skirting the left passage for now you head forward where the map shows no visible threats. The tunnel is as tall as the others but it only goes for about 100 yards until you end at the entrance of the room. On the other side of the room a stack of crates and a chest can be seen. The room is ten feet wide by twenty long.
Bright Eyes
 player, 25 posts
 ac:16--hp:35--hd:6
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 21:24
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Bright Eyes enters the room carefully, with the others, and moves over to the chest, checking its seam, the hinges, the lock, and the area around it for trap triggers.

16:23, Today: Bright Eyes rolled 20 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 17.  search chest for traps.
GM
 GM, 718 posts
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 22:09
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
In reply to Bright Eyes (msg # 649):

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:09, Tue 14 Mar 2017.

Delmedus
 player, 926 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 20, HP 65/73
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 01:19
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Delm keeps watch at the door.  He wasn't expecting trouble but if a giant came down the hall he didn't want to let it escape or call out warning.
Bright Eyes
 player, 26 posts
 ac:16--hp:35--hd:6
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 03:56
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
"Ah, a trap, the whole room is trapped, in fact. Don't move from here, let me study this."

what kind of check to navigate or disable the trap?
GM
 GM, 719 posts
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 14:04
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
In reply to Bright Eyes (msg # 652):
Bright Eyes
 player, 27 posts
 ac:16--hp:35--hd:6
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 15:33
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
"It'll be difficult to cross, might be better off disabling it."

16:23, Today: Bright Eyes rolled 20 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 17.  search chest for traps. <- that's an investigate, doubt I'll be rolling much higher than that
Conrad
 player, 842 posts
 Ranger
 AC 17, HP 33/42, HD 6/6
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 15:50
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Conrad guarded the door alongside Delmedus.
GM
 GM, 720 posts
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 16:16
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Sounds of grunts from down the hall which you came faintly creep into the tunnel halls. Delmedus is watching the map intently and sees the lighted dots walk up and then back where the came. You assume they are patrolling and now returning to their post.

All the while Bright Eyes is examining the room, floor and delicately stepping through the room. She is following the source of the traps. Behind a well disguised stone in the wall to the left of the entrance reveals a gear and rope mechanism. She un-loops the rope and a faint clang is heard. It was an alarm system. metal plates somewhere beneath the floor were ready to ring loudly as an intruder enters the room.

Once disabled, Bright Eyes makes her way to the chest. It is locked but does not appear trapped. (DC=12 + Sleight of Hand or just Dex to pick it)
Bright Eyes
 player, 28 posts
 ac:16--hp:35--hd:6
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 16:26
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Bright Eyes produces a small kit of tools from under her mantle, using them to first reflect a bit of light into the keyhole so she can double check the mechanism and then using a delicate pair of specifically bent, thin metal rods to provide tension and lift the tumblers into position.

A soft clatter of mechanics heralds the completion of her task and she opens the chest.

11:23, Today: Bright Eyes rolled 26 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 19.  open lock.
GM
 GM, 721 posts
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 16:35
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
In reply to Bright Eyes (msg # 657):
Bright Eyes
 player, 29 posts
 ac:16--hp:35--hd:6
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 17:01
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
"Oooh, look at this," she says, holding up a beautiful dagger, letting the light catch it. She also produces a pair of potions and a satchel of gold coins. "Looks like a lot of the stuff in these crates are from Last Chance. It would be nice to return some of it to them."
Delmedus
 player, 927 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 20, HP 65/73
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 17:46
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
"Good work Bright Eyes.  Let's load this up and we can figure everything else out later.   It looks like they are doing patrolled rounds.  Since we know where they are using the map we can ambush them and hopefully not raise the alarm.  I have never dealt with a giant before and definitely do not want the entire colony on top of us."   Delm then helps distribute the items and let the casters figure out what everything is before discussing more tactics to attack the giants.
GM
 GM, 722 posts
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 14:31
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2


The small room at the bottom left of the map is where you are now. You can follow the map back where you came or head up the tunnel leading northward where you saw the flashing lights.


OOC:
Please be clear in how you want to approach ambushing the enemy. Do you want to try and flank them? What tunnels will you use? Do you want to try and funnel them into a chamber? Etc...

Makal Yorn
 player, 260 posts
 Cleric of Chauntea
 AC 18 HP 45/45
Fri 17 Mar 2017
at 19:24
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
I think ambushing small groups of giants in a tunnel is the way to go, trying to cut off their escape.  I'm not sure the best way to coordinate that, however.  If we can see the patrols, it might get easier, but we've got no way to communicate if we can't talk to each in close range, right?  If we can establish obvious patrol routes, it might work.  One group could hide in a cul-de-sac, another in the tunnel ahead.  When the giants pass by the first group, that first group can attack, and the second group can join in, blocking off the escape.  (Perhaps aided by Spike Growth?  Hold Person won't work against giants, right, because they're not humanoids?)
Delmedus
 player, 928 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 20, HP 65/73
Sat 18 Mar 2017
at 12:06
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Delm nods at Makel's suggestion "It is sound, lets watch the patrols and hope that there are no stragglers.  I am not stealthy so I need to be still somewhere and wait."

I know that was ooc Makel but I just put it in character for RP.  Solid plan for a cleric of life :)
Ruby Ironraven
 player, 584 posts
 Cleric 1:4 2:3 3:3 D:2
 AC:21 HP:45/45 HD:6/6
Sun 19 Mar 2017
at 00:38
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
"And I am, if possible, less quiet than Delmedus."
Bright Eyes
 player, 30 posts
 ac:16--hp:35--hd:6
Mon 20 Mar 2017
at 07:29
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
"I'm pretty fast and a sneak, I could play bait and lead the giants to ambush?"
Delmedus
 player, 929 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 20, HP 65/73
Mon 20 Mar 2017
at 12:37
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Delm looks at the map and thinks "Maybe if Conrad and Bright Eyes can move around corner as the sentries past coming towards Ruby and myself they will concentrate on us and you two can attack them from behind.    Whoever is coming from behind may be in the most danger if reinforcements come up and we do not dispatch the guards quickly, then you will have giants on both sides of you. Makel what would you like to do, what ranged weapons can you use?"


@ DM:  Where are the guards patrolling from and to?  What section of the map (top left/right, Bottom left/right)

Conrad
 player, 843 posts
 Ranger
 AC 17, HP 33/42, HD 6/6
Mon 20 Mar 2017
at 13:53
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Conrad nodded before entering the shadows of the tunnels.

22:52, Today: Conrad rolled 15 using 1d20+6 with rolls of 9.  Stealth.

Bright Eyes
 player, 31 posts
 ac:16--hp:35--hd:6
Mon 20 Mar 2017
at 16:51
Re: ACT 2: Journey to Skull Mountain (group 0) Part 2
Bright Eyes follows.

11:51, Today: Bright Eyes rolled 18 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 11.  stealth.