The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)   Posted by Artemis.Group: 0
Colin Browne
 player, 329 posts
 37/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 00:32
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin went to sit up, but his limbs would not obey. Not due to a spell this time, but sheer exhaustion. He felt helpless and he was enjoying every sensation. It meant he was whole again. Not the powerful husk of a person he was before he turned, but the fragile human he was. God-fearing and grateful again. His eyes fell on Amelia and he smiled, tears welling in his eyes. Tears of joy.

Colin had not felt like this. Ever. His feelings had always been a confusing mess while he was a Hunter but now they were clear. He had fought with a supernatural will against the supernatural instinct that had took hold of him. Not for any sense of pride or anger, but fear. He did it for her because he would be damned again if he had let her come to harm. Barely able to move, Colin wills his hand to grab Amelia's. Gently and cautiously. He closed his eyes and thanked whatever power above, promising to return the gift however he could.
Amelia Kirk
 NPC, 32 posts
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 22:13
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Amelia is a light sleeper it seems for a moment later she stirs, and as she raises her head you see dark circles under her eyes. Seeing you awake though, her lips spread into a smile of relief. It's the first time she hasn't been afraid of you since it all happened, though she looks a bit hesitant, perhaps wondering how everything has affected you.

You're awake! I was beginning to fear the cure was going to do you in. You've been out for two days. You should know, the rest of the nest is gone. Fled from the looks of it. I went back to see if I could do anything...after everything they've done I couldn't just leave them, there's the hint of a tremor in her voice and you realize she was likely terrified to do so. Not to mention it was very foolish. I did take care of Cole though. I borrowed your machete...cried the whole time too. I don't know how you hunters have the heart for it, she adds with a pale smile. I washed for hours and I still found blood on my skin here and there. Then of course the whole time I thought I'd killed you too. The cure weakened you so...there was more than once I thought you were going to die. So needless to say, it's been an unpleasant couple of days. she shakes her head, looking almost as exhausted as you feel. The idea of the poor woman sawing Cole's head off blubbering like a child would have amused you when you first met her. Now though, you pity her. That should have been your task, not hers. But listen to me prattle when you've only just woken! How are you Colin? Is there anything I can get you? You haven't eaten in days, let me send for something.
Colin Browne
 player, 330 posts
 37/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 21:00
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin smiled and laid his head back to rest easy on the pillow. "Something I don't have to chew. I feel as weak as a babe in the crib," he commented. Before she left his side, he took a deep breath and then looked at Amelia, his head still on the pillow. "I did it for you," he said simply and left the rest unsaid.

Did it need to be said though? Was he only doing it because he felt so vulnerable and saying would not make him any less so? These questions and more rattled through Colin's addled mind as he tried to do anything, say anything, that would get his point to her. Even if it was clumsy and just like him, crude. Even if he could not do what he wanted because he was nearly a total invalid at the moment.
Amelia Kirk
 NPC, 33 posts
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 18:02
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
She looks stunned at your words, frozen in place for a moment as though unsure she heard you right. Then, she takes your hand again and clasps it warmly with both of hers, looking you with her deep blue eyes and giving a small smile. Thank you Colin. She shakes her head then, smile fading. That was awfully close wasn't it. Too close. Her voice is quiet, tired. I was more afraid for you than I was for me. If you hadn't been able to fight that off at the last second... her hands tighten around yours. I would have lost you. Forever. And I wouldn't have been strong enough to kill you. I just couldn't. But, there's no sense thinking that way now right? We're safe. We're both, finally safe. She releases your hand then, trying to regain her composure. This is a woman who is used to being poised, strong, you can tell she doesn't like admitting her fears, though they're still all over her face. Soup. Soup would be good I think. I'll be back with some alright?

ooc: Go ahead and finish up here and then let me know if you have any plans other than resting for the next two days. I'll move things along after that.
Colin Browne
 player, 331 posts
 37/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Sun 24 Nov 2019
at 18:18
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin nodded and returned her smile. "Soup sounds good," he says with some pain as he leans back further into the bed and closed his eyes again. He winced at the weakness he felt in his very bones. This was going to be something that lingered.

OOC:I'm good to move forward whenever you're ready.
Artemis
 GM, 2112 posts
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 00:31
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
The next two days are spent convalescing. You get stronger fairly fast now that you're awake and by the morning of the third day you're in decent shape to travel. Amelia, now that she's sure you're alright, sees you surprisingly little during this time. She says it's because she has to make preparations and that does seem to be true, but there is a slight awkwardness about her usually smooth manner, a touch of uncertainty, but then it is likely due to recent events. You very nearly killed her. That sort of thing is not forgotten easily and one night you swear you hear her crying through the wall but should you ask her about it later she denies it, claiming it must be one of the inn's servants or some such thing. She's convincing enough in her denial, but she finds somewhere to be a minute later and you aren't able to press the issue.

As you ready your wagon that morning you find it is well supplied. She really has been making preparations, that much was true. She gives you a pleasant, amiable smile as she climbs up to her seat beside you, looking proper and elegant as usual in a new dress of pale green velvet and a black feminine bowler with a long gold feather sticking out of it. She even has a matching parasol, but that is nothing new for her. So. Ready to head south to Alexandria? It should only take a few more days I think. The question is though, do you think the two of us will be enough for whatever awaits us? Her tone is concerned but also, business like. She seems eager to get back into your routine, even a little happy. No doubt it's a fine distraction after all the terrible things that have passed. I'm of a mind to try to find a little help if we can. Perhaps there are a few stray hunters about we can find. Someone surely?

ooc: Ok, I was looking back at old posts and just to refresh you, you need to go to Alexandria Virginia. They are keeping comatose kids there for use later by ripping their souls out at the last battle thingy. Sorry, I'm in a hurry so I'm not very eloquent!
Colin Browne
 player, 332 posts
 37/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Sat 4 Jan 2020
at 15:52
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin rubbed his chin in thought as they rode along. "Don't know of anyone in that area, at least not that I have heard of. Back up would be nice, however. Do you have any contacts in the area? Anyone from your fancy society?", he quipped and settled in more for the long journey.
Amelia Kirk
 NPC, 34 posts
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 02:04
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
My fancy society? she arches a bemused brow. You probably think I attend dinner parties and ice cream socials every other day don't you? I'm afraid that's simply not the case. The last two years I've been holed up in the men of letters headquarters. I just happen to be better dressed than most she adds with a joking smile, which is quite uncommon for her. She's always been pleasant enough and you've been able to make her smile with only a little work but her actually making a joke herself? Perhaps you're finally rubbing off on her. But you have a decent idea. Perhaps we can find some aid from my society after all. I'll need some blood though, she adds with a frown, already starting to roll up her sleeve. She takes out a silver chalice and with a little yelp of nerves cuts her exposed forearm until the blood gathers in the cup, then she swirls it around and chants under her breath. Her eyes roll into the back of her head and then she just...stays like that. It's quite alarming. She's just holding perfectly still, arm still bleeding into the cup and the whites of her eyes showing, the rest of her unblinking. She doesn't move a muscle and as the seconds tick by into minutes you start to worry. At last as you think she's outright killed herself she snaps back with a gasp and her deep blue eyes roll back where they belong though she's trembling a bit. Sorry about that. Private conversations are more taxing. she takes out a handkerchief and wraps it around her wound. One of my colleagues from home has family in Alexandria it seems. Perhaps even some who might help us. But he warned me they are a bit...eccentric. Do you think you could possibly stomach wearing evening attire? she gives you an appraising frown. I don't know these people but Percy just said they are quite difficult to entreat save during social functions. If we hurry we should make their annual neighborhood gala, that's what he called it, she shrugs. Apparently it's the only time they leave their house!
Colin Browne
 player, 333 posts
 37/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 23:05
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin arched his own eyebrow. "So, just to be clear, in order to get help from the men of letters, we are going to have to attend a party?" Colin chuckled slightly, trying not to dwell on the fact that Amelia had used blood magic. It was best that he did not to bring up blood at all right now. The emotions were still too high, too raw, too open for any kind of treatment. Shaking the feeling away, Colin lit a cigarette to calm himself.

"I'll need a proper bath and trip to a barber. I haven't groomed proper in a while," he concluded. Not to mention he would need to get fitted for proper attire and that was not cheap or quick.
Artemis
 GM, 2129 posts
Tue 14 Jan 2020
at 16:52
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
She wrinkles her nose in amusement at your mention of grooming. Clearly she agrees with you. Ah, here's the thing. They aren't men of letters at all. Only related to one. But apparently they are not without their gifts. Unfortunately because they are not official in any capacity, we're going to have to win them over if we expect help. Hence the party. Trust me, I loathe the things as much as you do. Always thought they were a waste of time, she sighs. But I suppose I should start giving you some instruction on how to behave, assuming you don't already know of course. My family name will be enough to get us in, but our manners will decide how long we stay in their good graces. You will probably be charming enough, so long as you're respectful. Apparently they are a very old family, older than I realized actually, with roots in Eastern Europe. The fact that you're of immigrant blood may endear you to them somewhat, though it's been several years since they've set roots apparently. They're known as the Stynes.
Colin Browne
 player, 334 posts
 37/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 04:42
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin nodded. "Best we review some of the finer points," he said and flicked the butt of his cigarette away. "Might have to find a pipe, since I assume my usual fare is not welcome in polite society. It's settled otherwise. I'll get dolled up to be your arm candy and woo the family so that we might be able to get some help with this children situation. We are also going to need more information on the situation in general. I'll put the word out through the newsies that we are looking for informats. Money will grease the wheels there for us."
Artemis
 GM, 2133 posts
Tue 21 Jan 2020
at 19:29
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Amelia nods at the plan and the next couple of days are spent traveling to Alexandria. Amelia begins your training along the way, telling you which silverware is for which courses, how best to perform introductions, and an alarming amount of picky little rules you had no idea even existed. Needless to say it's overwhelming and she has to drill it into you over and over again before you even have some semblance of remembrance.

At last you reach Alexandria and she finds you accommodation for the next few days at a very nice hotel. When you hear the price you're a bit strangled but she plunks it down easily, informing you later that should the Stynes find out where you're staying you'll need to keep up appearances. Immediately she sets to finding you a nice evening suit, which doesn't take long, though it takes a day or so for tailoring to be finished. You've never worn anything like it in your life. It's tight, restrictive and the bow tie feels like it's going to strangle you. She ends up having to tie it of course since you don't know how. She also finds you a barber for a shave and a cut and by the time you're ready to head out to this wretched dinner party, you feel like a proper fop, though admittedly you look nicer than you ever thought you could. When Amelia sees your finished product she laughs to your surprise. You look like a completely different man! Where did Colin go? she pretends to look around. Even if it's at your expense, it is nice to hear her laugh again. I am impressed though. You look very well, she adds with a smile. She looks more than well herself, wearing a wine colored velvet evening gown that shows more of her shoulders and bosom than you ever thought you'd see from such a tight laced woman. Don't forget your gloves, she tosses you a white pair, pulling on long cream gloves of her own. High society is obsessed with gloves for some reason. Never understood it at all. Now, my colleague got us an invitation so they are in fact expecting us. Since most of the people there are not in any way affiliated with hunting, we have a cover story in place. All we really need to do is to have a conversation with the matron of the family. I believe we can convince her to lend us help, but I'll have to be subtle about it. Your name is your own and my Christian name is the same but my surname will be Odell. We are supposedly in the tobacco business, fitting for you I suppose, she makes a face in reference to your usual habit, and we're awaiting my father's arrival in the city to start expanding his company. You are his junior assistant, here to start making inquiries on his behalf. None of it really matters anyway I suppose, but you should probably know what it is you are pretending to be. Any questions?

ooc: Ok, so if you decide to hire newsies go ahead and roll a gather information check for them so we see what they can do for you. Also, I'll need a bluff and diplomacy check for the party so we see how well you do. Lastly, I thought it would be fun to show you the etiquette crap from the time. Below are just some of the things one would expect at a dinner party for the upper crust of the time. Sheesh!
I copied this from an article:



Once sated at the table. gloves are drawn off and laid in the lap under the napkin, which is spread lightly, not tucked in.
     Soup is always served for the first course, and it should be eaten with dessert spoons, and taken from the sides, not the tips of them, without any sounds of the lips, and not sucked into the mouth audibly from the ends of the spoon.  Bread should not be broken into soup or gravy.  Never ask to be helped to soup a second time.  Fish chowder, which is served in soup plates, is said to be the exception which proves this rule, and when eating of that it is correct to take a second plateful, if desired.
     Another generally neglected obligation is that of spreading butter on one's bread as it lies in one's plate, or but slightly lifted at one end of the plate; it is very frequently buttered in the air, bitten in gouges, and still held in the face and eyes of the table with the marks of the teeth on it.  This is certainly not altogether pleasant, and it is better to cut it, a bit at the time, after buttering it, and put it into the mouth with one's finger and thumb.  Never help yourself to butter, or any other food with your own knife or fork.  It is not considered good taste to mix food on the same plate.
     Drink sparingly while eating, as it is far better for digestion, but when you do drink, do it gently and easily and do not pour the liquid down your throat.
      Do not talk loud or boisterously at the table, but aim to be cheerful and companionable and join in the conversation, but do not monopolize it.  Do not twirl your goblet, nor soil the tablecloth by placing bones or fragments on it.  Never turn tea or coffee into your saucer to cool it, nor blow your soup.  If you do not like any dish which you are served, allow it to remain untouched until the servant removes it.
     Sit upright at the table, without bending over or lowering your head to partake of your food.  Do not sit too far away or too near the table, and do not sit with one arm lying on the table with your back half-turned to your left hand neighbor.
   Then one who serves at the table should not help too abundantly, or flood the food with gravies, as many do not like them, and it is better to allow each guest to help himself.  Water should be poured to the right of a person - everything else is passed to the left.  Do not watch the dishes while being uncovered or talk with your mouth full.  If you discover anything objectionable in the food, do not attract the attention of others to it, but quietly deposit it under the edge of your plate.
     If boiled eggs are brought on in the shell, egg cups should be provided, the small end of the egg should be placed in the cup, and an opening made at the top of the egg sufficiently large to admit a teaspoon.
     Spoons are sometimes used with firm puddings, but forks are better style.  A spoon should never be turned over in the mouth.
     One's teeth are never picked at the table; but if it is impossible to hinder it, it should be done behind the napkin.
     Let us mention a few things concerning the eating of which there is sometime doubt.  A cream-cake and anything of similar nature should be eaten with a knife and fork, never bitten.  Asparagus may be taken from the finger and thumb.  Pasty should be broken and eaten with a fork, never cut with a knife.  Raw oysters should be eaten with a fork, also fish.  However, food cannot be held with a fork should be eaten with a spoon.  Potatoes, if mashed, should be mashed with a fork.  Green corn should be eaten from the cob, held with a single hand only.
     Oranges are peeled and either cut or separated, or they may be cut crosswise and eaten with a spoon.
     Celery, cresses, olives, radishes, and relishes of that kind, are, of course, to be eaten with the fingers; the salt should be laid upon the plate, not upon the cloth.  Cut with the knife, but never put it in the mouth; the fork must always convey the food.
     Let the food be taken to the mouth, and not the mouth to the food.
     Fish is to be eaten with the fork, without the assistance of the knife; a bit of bread in the left hand sometimes helps one to master a refractory morsel.  Fresh fruit should be eaten with a silver bladed knife, especially pears, apples, etc.
     At the conclusion of a course, where they have been used, a knife and fork should be laid side by side across the middle of the plate - never crossed - with handles to the right.  The servant should offer everything at the left of the guest, that the guest may be at liberty to use the right hand, except water, which is poured at the right side.
     When you rise from your chair, leave it where it stands.

"Don'ts" For The Dining Room

Don't keep other people waiting; be there in time.
Don't lie back in your chair or place your elbows on the table.
Don't sit sideways, but straight to the table.
Don't seat yourself until all the ladies at the table are seated.
Don't bend your head for each mouthful.  Sit erect.
Don't cut your bread. Break if off.
Don't use your knife to carry food to your mouth.
Don't use your fork as if it were a pitchfork.
Don't make any noise with your mouth when eating.
Don't speak with your mouth full or even half full.
Don't begin a sentence before you have finished swallowing.
Don't drink a glassful at a gulp.
Don't have your elbows away from your body when eating or drinking.
Don't ever spit a bone or seed upon your plate or the floor.
Don't wipe your face with your napkin.  It is for the lips and beard only.
Don't forget to see that all the ladies are served before you.
Don't neglect the ladies to your left or right.
Don't look worried if a small accident should happen.
Don't leave your knife and fork on your plate when sent for a second supply.
Don't pile up all the dishes upon your plate when it is to be removed.
Don't come to the table half dressed, half washed, half combed.
Don't over eat.
Don't leave the table before the others unless unavoidable and then always asked to be excused.
Colin Browne
 player, 335 posts
 37/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 04:21
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
In reply to Artemis (msg # 426):

Colin grunted and groaned through most of the lessons, but did not even dare to ignore them or not pay attention. When the lessons were done and the pair of them ready to leave, Colin gave a deep breath and nodded. "I suppose that it would be too much to ask for leniency for this punishment?", he quipped as he adjusted his necktie for the tenth time. He gave Amelia a warm smile, however, and presented his arm for her to be properly escorted. "I promise that I will do my best to remember not to make a fool of myself while we are at the party. If you deem this is the only way to get help, then I will suffer the slings and arrows of this party," he said.

Giving her a look over and admiring her, Colin dared a smile that hinted at something more than friendship. "You remind me of the emerald hills back home. Warm with the morning sun and glistening like gems from the dew," he said before his eyes went wide and he turned to avoid hers.
Artemis
 GM, 2140 posts
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 15:04
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
She looks surprised and then blushes prettily, breaking into a smile. Ah,if you use pretty words like that at the party we might just get what we want Mr. Browne, she says with a chuckle. Rich women love compliments. Although, it's safer to say all women love compliments. And...thank you, she adds, blush deepening. Thankfully you are soon off and you take a hansom cab to a massive estate just outside of the city. It's a monster of a house and there are other carriages outside, the horses bored and awaiting their masters' return. Couples are entering arm in arm and Amelia slips hers around yours as natural as though she belongs here. You struggle to remember your back story. Something about her father's assistant? Tobacco? You could really use a smoke right now, you're already uncomfortable. You get to the door and the servant there nods expectantly. Amelia gives you a nudge to introduce yourself and you manage alright before being swept into a large sitting room already bustling with couples. Aging women are stuffed into dresses that clearly don't belong on them, and thankfully there are some younger ones who do their gowns more service. There is more cleavage on display than you would have ever thought to see outside of a brothel save for a few more tasteful ladies. Apparently the wealthy love to show off more than just their jewelry, of which you also notice many extravagant pieces. The men are all clapping each other on the shoulders and looking relieved to see each other while the wives are chittering away like hens. Oh I hate these things, Amelia mutters under her breath before putting on her society smile you've seen so often. The doorman enters with you and makes the announcement. I would like to announce the arrival of Mr. Colin Browne and Miss Odell, here on request of the Styne family. All heads turn, no doubt wondering who these interlopers are and Amelia gives a graceful nod. Thankfully a stout, sturdy woman with a neckline up to her jaw strides forward. Ah. You must be the friends of my Jeremy, he told me to invite you, she gives a nod. Come, let us go somewhere more private. Would you care for a brandy Mr. Browne?

ooc: Roll a diplomacy for the night just to see how well you remember all the rules...
Artemis
 GM, 2142 posts
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 15:15
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
You try your hardest to remember everything Amelia taught you, but you do have a few minor blunders. Fortunately she discreetly corrects you so you are passably awkward throughout the introductions.

The stout woman, introduced as Mrs. Rebecca Styne, leads you both down the hall to a study, after whispering something to a servant who immediately announces dinner will be in twenty minutes. You find the privacy of the study infinitely preferable to the stuffiness of the rest of the place and when she pours you out a brandy you find it most comforting. Now, my husband will no doubt winkle us out soon enough and wonder why I'm meeting with complete strangers when I'm supposed to be hosting a dinner party. He's much more of a stickler for propriety than I. So make this quick. Why are you really here? I can tell from looking at him that you're not here for tobacco, she gestures to you. Amelia starts to answer but Rebecca holds up a hand to stop her. No no my dear. Not you. I'll hear it from him. You're too polished, too collected. The uncomfortable ones tend to be the most trustworthy I've found. Now, make it quick before we're interrupted. She pours you another brandy without asking. Amelia looks surprised by the bluntness of the woman but then again after all the society rules she's been drilling into your head, you figure this is not ordinary behavior for the upper crust.
Colin Browne
 player, 336 posts
 37/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Sun 16 Feb 2020
at 23:19
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin smiled when required and tried his best to make small talk, but he was almost relieved to be pulled aside by the hostess. He followed Amelia's lead for the most part and was somewhat surprised when he was addressed directly. He looked to Amelia again for confirmation but didn't actually wait for her to say anything. "I'm a Hunter. Kids are getting hurt and I'm here to stop it. I'm the muscle while she figures out what is hurting these kids," he states with little preamble.
Artemis
 GM, 2144 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2020
at 14:40
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Rebecca smiles knowingly as you speak and gives a nod. That doesn't surprise me at all. You look far more like a hunter than a tobacco statesman, she chuckles and Amelia blushes for your cover was her idea. Still, I see why you tried. My husband is a man of wealth and breeding. He does not offer our family's services lightly. He likes to be impressed. And though I am sympathetic to the plight of children, I really am, my husband will not risk his life nor our sons unless he sees some merit in it for our family. I know that sounds horrible, but it is the Styne way. When I married into them I was quite shocked at their mercenary ways but...a comfortable home and the respect of high society has dimmed my moral outrage somewhat. She sighs, eyeing the brandy wistfully.I'm afraid we cannot help you. There's simply no reason to. Amelia listens coldly, not surprised and you realize why a moment later. I am friends with one of your husband's nephews. He warned me you might be less than helpful. I am Amelia Kirk, I know you know of my father, Benjamin Kirk. If you think your family is of good stock, you're dogs compared to mine and I would be more than happy to remind your husband in front of his guests what real pedigree looks like. You think you're so well bred? So important? You're false, cheap imitations at best. She picks up your brandy glass and smirks. This, is glass. Not crystal. Your butler can't even make introductions correctly, he says everything out of order. Your dress is at least ten years out of season and your guests are laughably pathetic. Each one a frivoling, adoring dolt because they're under the misconception that your family is actually worth something. Pathetic. If you're going to place your precious pedigree over the lives of  children, at least do a good job of it. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for you. She gives a mean, amused smile at the now gaping woman. Now, I believe your family fancies itself connoisseurs of magic. If you lend me some of your brutish offspring and they actually prove useful, perhaps I could part with some actual information you could use. I believe you're in search of a certain book? Rebecca is purpling in rage by now, shaking with it. How dare you speak to me this way! I could have you both killed right now you know. Right this very second! Amelia merely chuckles at this. If you lift one of your worthless fingers against us, I'll show you just how superior I am. At this, Rebecca turns towards you, her face livid. Perhaps your man can attest to how powerful I am! she snarls. With that she gestures at you and your stomach immediately feels like it's being stabbed from within...

ooc: Roll a fort save please and post any reactions.
Colin Browne
 player, 337 posts
 83/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Wed 19 Feb 2020
at 01:52
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin felt the pain and immediately knew that he was not fully recovered. In any case, he tried to remain stoic and put on the same resoluteness that Amelia was showing. Colin also knew that he would not hit a woman, not a human one at least. Colin instead glared at the would be hostess. Enough, was all he said.

OOC: 20:45, Today: Colin Browne rolled 15 using 1d20+4.  Fort save.
Artemis
 GM, 2146 posts
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 15:22
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Both Amelia and Rebecca look surprised at your reaction, but then no doubt the expectation was for you to keel over in pain. Amelia's expression morphs into a smirk of pride as you shake off the horrible sensation and a flash of worry crosses the other woman's face. You're lucky my companion is more lenient than I, Amelia nods to you. I've seen him best things far more powerful than a miserable worm like you. Try to hurt him again though and I'll send you through that window and that's a promise. Now, are you smart enough to take my offer? Just then though, the door opens and a graying man with a face hard as stone enters, looking irritated. There you are Rebecca! Our guests are waiting for dinner and you're here? He pauses then, seeing his wife's face. What is it? What's wrong? Get them Henry! They threatened me! Rebecca points at Amelia in particular. Amelia sees his face, sees his raised hand and barely manages to growl out a word you never thought would pass her lips before she's slammed against the wall by an invisible force. Shit!
Colin Browne
 player, 338 posts
 83/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 23:27
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin gave a cruel smile as he drew his knife and pounced at Rebecca. Rather than take her to the ground, he opted to go for a series of quick slashes to mark her neck and wrists. It was going to be a clear message, to compliment his resistance of the spell. He was not to be trifled with and he could kill both of them with very little effort. He glared at each of the would-be witch and warlock as he spoke in a low, menacing grumble. "Next time my blade finds an artery. Calm your shit now or I'll do it for you. Why do you think I was brought along?"

OOC: Melee Touch Attacks(Non-Damaging)
19:22, Today: Colin Browne rolled 22,9 using 1d20+13,1d20+5.  Touch Attacks vs Rebecca.

19:25, Today: Colin Browne rolled 17,10 using 1d20+6,2d6 with rolls of 11,6,4.  Intimidate Couple. Total Result with Action Point=23

Sorry! I thought I had posted!

Artemis
 GM, 2154 posts
Fri 13 Mar 2020
at 14:46
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Rebecca's eyes bulge in shock as you make your marks and she jerks back in fear. Amelia actually laughs, a wicked little laugh and the older woman glares at her hotly. Henry, though, looks furious, but just worried enough to pause his actions. I will let your woman live if you leave my wife be. What is the meaning of all this? You want money? You'll not get it.

No. You are the only ones here who care about that, Amelia sneers. Even at the expense of helpless children. Henry looks startled at the accusation but not as offended as one should be at such claims. She continues. We're hunters. And men of letters. We asked your wife for help and she refused us. Even for information on the book of the damned. She says the last sentence with great emphasis and you see him draw back slightly in surprise. Then, he does something unexpected. Rebecca, is this true? Did you deny them when they could-
You don't actually believe her do you?! Rebecca stammers. She's lying! She'd say anything to get what she wants. She insulted me Henry, she adds with a sniff.
I am Amelia Kirk, daughter of Benjamin Kirk. You know I would not lie. Henry considers for a moment, eyes you warily, and then lets her drop to the floor. She smooths her skirts carefully, as though she weren't pinned to the wall moments before.
What arrangement do you expect from me?
I won't deal with the likes of her present. Get her out. Your guests will wonder where you both are, she can go placate them. Something tells me it's all she's good at. Amelia nods to the now furious woman.
Do you hear how she talks to me Henry? No! Don't you- He cuts her off then.
Enough Rebecca! You have jeopardized this family enough with your rudeness! Now go! She gives a little gasp, but leaves in a huff. Henry sighs and gestures for you to sit down. Amelia though, shakes her head. We'd rather stand thank you. I wouldn't put it past your wife to try something stupid. Now, I have need of your services. You have many sons do you not? Powerful ones, or so I've been told. I'll need as many as you can spare. I don't know exactly what we face, but I'm sure there will be plenty of demons.
And you would have me risk my family for your cause?
Do you want the book, or not?
Why would you give up such an asset? How can I trust you? he demands, still looking at you as though you'll jump at him any second.
I put the lives of children ahead of power. Something you would never understand I suppose. And I don't have the book myself. I know who does though. Getting it from them will be your problem.
I could force you, you know, he says quietly. Make you tell me.
You could try, she smirks. But you can't take us both on. You were the fool who sent your wife out. Now it's two against one and my dear Collin here is not to be trifled with. Neither am I. I'm not leaving this room without a blood transaction. There's no other way I can trust you. So, decide now. Are you going to deal with me? Or should I sic my man on you now and save time?
I'll require a blood transaction from him too, he says at last, nodding at you. Can't have him slitting my throat when all is done eh? Amelia pauses at this, turning to look at you. A blood transaction is a serious thing Collin. It requires you to fulfill your contract. Cross road demons use a higher form of it to fulfill their promises, but this is no less binding. It would mean absolute obedience to the terms. And if you should die, your nearest blood relation would find themselves compelled to fulfill the task. It is a very serious thing. You do not have to do this.
Colin Browne
 player, 340 posts
 83/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Sun 22 Mar 2020
at 01:57
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin looked over the transaction between the two in silence. He knew he was out of his depth in these negotiations and elected to let Amelia do her thing. The Irishman fidgeted as the talk turned serious. As their host turned to him and implied that Colin might be treacherous, Colin sneered. "We came here for help. Your wife attacked me, but I did nothing. She attacked again and tricked you into doing the same, but still, I elected restraint. I even chose to mark her in places that could be easily covered up so she could save face for her guests. Now, you dare say that I could be the one that is untrustworthy?"
Artemis
 GM, 2159 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 18:22
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
I am not fool enough to trust any stranger just because they let my wife live. Sparing her now means nothing for your future actions. But, since you're obviously as mistrustful of myself as I am you, how about I let you write the terms? The only things I require is a promise not to betray my family and to give the information as promised. Is that so hard? Something about him makes you less than trustful and Amelia frowns. No. We both will write it. Colin, and I. And I'm going to make it very plain that once our transaction is through, we will be perfectly at liberty to go after you if you do anything we dislike. As for Colin, IF he chooses, his only involvement in this will be limited to not laying a hand against your family unless they prove a threat to him or others. Would that satisfy? Or shall I offer someone else such a deal? Surely your family isn't the only one who would benefit from the book... Henry scowls but after a glance at you, finally nods. With a smirk, Amelia requests paper and starts to write furiously. You have a feeling she's done this before, for she does not hesitate as the pen flows without hesitation. The thing about blood contracts, Colin, is if you don't word them ever so carefully, a number of loopholes could come back to haunt you quite nastily. There's a reason why only the very best are chosen to become crossroad demons. I swear they must have been lawyers in life, they're so slippery sometimes. At any rate, my father excels in these. It's one of the things he taught me to do well. After all, the nature of the pact is the next of kin fulfills them if you can't. He has never been keen on paying for my mistakes. Now, you have a chance to back out of this if you wish Colin, though I do feel confident that you will be protected. I have it written that we may not harm them for the duration of this venture, unless they prove a threat to ourselves or innocent lives. Does this satisfy you?
Colin Browne
 player, 341 posts
 83/83 hp
 AC 24/24/24
Thu 16 Apr 2020
at 17:39
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin looked at the warlock with a hard stare before he proffered a hand to Amelia for the blood contract. His face was determined as he stared the would-be noble down. Colin broke away from his stare down and gave Amelia his hand. "I trust you," he said as he placed every ounce of sincerity he could into those three words. He tried to make sure he didn't betray the feelings they had and show weakness in front of the other man.
Artemis
 GM, 2162 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 16:57
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Amelia gives you a pleased smile and as she finishes the contract, she lightly knicks your hand and dips a pen in the blood, offering it to you to sign after doing the same to herself. Henry watches on, scrutinizing every word before giving a satisfied nod. You really are good at this. Alright, it seems fair enough. How many of my men do you need? he sighs. As many as you can give. she answers matter of factly. We'll be facing demons and who knows what else. You'd better have them come prepared. We go tomorrow night. I'll need time to make some preparations. Do you know the Barrington hotel? He nods and she tells him to meet you there tomorrow night at ten o'clock. Alright then. We have an accord. Now, I trust you won't mind leaving my dinner party? I think we've had enough of your company for one night, he says with a sneer towards you, no doubt thinking of your actions against his wife. Amelia smiles, amused. Of course. We'll see ourselves out.

Soon you find yourselves outside again and she gestures for a hansom cab, looking rather pleased. You're just relieved to be out of that stuffy house. Well, that went quicker than I thought it would. Nasty little family don't you agree? But I for one did not buy this dress and train you in manners just to waste it. I think we ought to find the nicest restaurant this city has to offer, enjoy ourselves for one night. After all, who knows what waits for us tomorrow. Truthfully, I'm worried. I just hope the Steins can provide as much help as I was told. Who knows what we're getting into. But that's what I hope to find out tonight after dinner. We need to scout around, see if we can find where they're keeping the children.