The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)   Posted by Artemis.Group: 0
Artemis
 GM, 425 posts
Wed 18 Jun 2014
at 16:18
The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin:
The girl sees the penny and nickel and her face does look tempted but the expression quickly disappears. Good sir, as much as I need any money I can get, right now I would settle for you getting my little brother back for me! She shakes her head sadly. I've been trying to get anyone to listen but they won't believe me! He's been taken by the witch on the hill! All of them have! I saw her with my own two eyes sir! She comes at night when no one is around and she offers them sweets and money and things. Then they are never seen again! I told Michael not to go with her but he didn't listen. He was so hungry and I couldn't stop him! Tears run down her dirty face and she wipes them away roughly. Please, you've got to believe me!
Colin Browne
 player, 99 posts
Fri 20 Jun 2014
at 02:36
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin's face grew more worried as he heard the girl's story. He was upset that this had not been dealt with sooner. Children were often the victims of the supernatural by the sheer fact that they could not defend themselves. He placed the nickel gently in the hand of the small girl and placed his hand on her cheek. "I will get yer brother back, little one. I will need your help, though. When was Michael taken and show me the place he went."

If anything, Colin could skulk around the place and wait for daybreak. Things of the night often hated the day and were weaker. If it truly was a witch, he would have to act fast and save the children he could. He would need a little luck if he hoped to save them all. He was sure that the others would have just talked and talked instead of acting. That is all anyone ever seemed to do. Now was not the time for talking.

OOC: Once the place is scoped out, Colin will circle it to find all the entrances and then Move Silently to get to it unseen.
Artemis
 GM, 428 posts
Fri 20 Jun 2014
at 16:53
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
He was taken three days ago sir! I will show you. Thank you sir! No one else will believe me! She looks excited but also worried. She leads you through the city streets, taking back alleys that only the poor and desperate would have the guts to traverse. A wealthy person in these parts wouldn't last five minutes with the cut purses and murderers about. Fortunately you fit in well and you both make it without incident. By the time you get to your destination it is quite late. You are just on the edges of the city and you see a hill with a tall black iron gate around it. On top of the hill is what was once a grand house but it has fallen into a state of disrepair. At first glance it looks abandoned, but in the distance you can see the glow of a candle behind a curtained window and faint smoke from the chimney.

You take your time finding the best way to approach. There don't seem to be any guards or anything so it is easy enough to go undetected. The girl, Sarah is her name, begs to go with you. If you allow it she will follow closely behind, otherwise she waits at the gate worriedly.

There are three entrances. The front door, the back door, and the cellar door.

ooc: Please roll search, listen, hide, and move silently as well as your intentions :)
Colin Browne
 player, 100 posts
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 04:21
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin looked at the house in thought before turning to the girl, his eyes lingering on the house as he squatted down. He fixed his gaze on her and put a hand on each side of her shoulders. He smiled and shook his head. "I cannot have ya come with me in tha house, little one. I do have a job for ya, though," he said in a serious tone. He fished out a few coins and handed them to her. "Take tha coin and find others. Give me a look out while I'm inside. You and the others make a lot on noise if someone other than me comes out. Can ya do that?" , he said in a serious tone. Child she may be, but he needed her to be a reliable contact.

Without waiting for an answer, he made his way towards the cellar door. He knew that was likely the most likely place to find the children and the witch.
Artemis
 GM, 430 posts
Tue 24 Jun 2014
at 17:58
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
The girl nods and runs off as fast as she can. In the meantime you find that the cellar doors are locked. There is a rusty chain on the handles. However, it looks to be so old that it doesn't take much to break it. Should you open it you find there are stairs that go down but the room itself is pitch black and smells incredibly musty. Damp air greets you as well as the dripping of some leak in the darkness.

ooc: Do you have a light of any kind? Also, roll a search, move silently and hide
Colin Browne
 player, 101 posts
Mon 30 Jun 2014
at 05:13
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin brought out a small matchbook and was ready to use the small amount of light to get quick glimpses of the interior of the place. Why would he use anything else. Matches were quick to use, lasted long enough to get a new hiding place and didn't take up any room. It probably helped they also were great at lighting his cigarettes. He twisted his neck so that is gave a few soft cracking sounds and proceeded down into the cellar as quietly and efficiently as possible. He realized maybe too late that using a light that lasted only a handful of seconds as despite his best efforts, he bumped into a few things and could barely see anything past a few feet. He would need to find something else to light his way.


Looking for a more permanent light source to use.
22:08, Today: Colin Browne rolled 15 using 1d20+14. Move Silently.
22:08, Today: Colin Browne rolled 21 using 1d20+12. Hide.
22:08, Today: Colin Browne rolled 9 using 1d20+2. Search.

Artemis
 GM, 437 posts
Mon 30 Jun 2014
at 13:35
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
You can see in the dim light that the cellar is full of junk. Broken chairs, antiquated furniture, damaged paintings, all of it not worth much. Fortunately you are able to find a half broken oil lamp that has enough oil left to give you light for a little while. It takes a bit of fumbling, and you cut your hand lightly on the glass, though not enough to do more than make you irritated fortunately. Now that you have the lamp lit you can see much better. The place is even junkier than you realized. There are cobwebs and dust over everything. The ground is wet and slippery, black sludgy mold and a bit of mud means you had best wipe your feet before entering the rest of the house if you don't want to leave tracks. You do make a bit more noise than you would like but no one seems to hear you. After looking around nothing looks particularly important. The stairs up from the cellar squeak as you walk up them, but if you go slowly they aren't too bad. The door at the top is unlocked and listening on the other side you hear nothing, though you do see a light from underneath, indicating someone is definitely about. Should you open the door you see you are in a hallway. To the left it goes towards what you assume is the parlor and kitchen. To the right is a staircase to the second floor. You can hear muted conversation coming from the left.
Colin Browne
 player, 102 posts
Thu 3 Jul 2014
at 21:14
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin lowered the light to the floor and snuffed it out. If the area was well lit, there was no need for him to carry another method of getting caught. He glanced down towards the voices and shook his head. He needed to know what all he was facing in the house. If it was more than just an old woman with a tendency towards witchcraft or something more sinister, he needed to know. Colin moved as quietly as he could towards the stairs. No since in wasting time, he thought to himself. He drew a knife and prepped it to throw in case something surprised him.


14:13, Today: Colin Browne rolled 20 using 1d20+14. Move Silently.
Artemis
 GM, 450 posts
Mon 7 Jul 2014
at 18:35
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
You move with impressive silence as you traverse the stairs. As you reach the landing you find yourself in a narrow hallway. There are several doors, 6 in the hallway and a seventh at the very end. All doors are closed. You see most of them are dark but the door at the end of the hallway has a light shining from the gap at the bottom of the door. There are muffled voices. Should you try any of the doors they are locked save for one that appears to be a bathroom. There is a small lantern in the bathroom already lit to make the way easier to see. You glance at the bathtub. It is covered in blood.
Colin Browne
 player, 103 posts
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 17:25
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin keyed into the muffled voices as the bloody bathroom threatened to push him over the brink of his sanity. Sure, he had seen such quantities of blood before, but never when it might have involved children. Before he would have been glad to offer this witch a chance to plead for her life, but now Colin was sure that a little bit of revenge was going to be required. He ran through a few choice techniques in his head as he approached the door with the light and the voices. He pressed his head to the door gently and offset himself so that if the door suddenly opened, he could hide to the side.

OOC: So sorry! I thought I had posted, but I must have forgotten!
10:20, Today: Colin Browne rolled 16 using 1d20+1. Listen.

Artemis
 GM, 457 posts
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 18:16
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
ooc: No worries! ;D

You listen at the door and wait as the words become clearer. It is a man and a woman and you can hear them fairly well. No! You tell him he is not in charge! It is the woman. Tell him yourself. I'm not your servant. Besides, I'm not risking my neck for you. Belial sent him to work with us which in my book means he's in charge. If you want to decide otherwise you can be the one to pay for it. You hear a noise of frustration from the woman. This is infuriating! This isn't part of the plan and you know it. How do we know Belial really wants to free Baal? What if it's just some kind of trick? We had a plan! None of this makes any sense. He's changed things so much already... she trails off. I wouldn't let anyone catch you questioning him Maggie. I'm used to your stupidity but someone else might take your doubts seriously. Well if I'm so stupid why do you care what I do? she snaps. There is a long silence and she gives a laugh. What? What's that awkward look? You don't actually like me do you Saul? Can demons even care about others or do you just want this body? she has a mocking tone and you hear anger in his response. Shut up Maggie or I really will show you what demons are capable of. I would just love to see you try. Her voice has a teasing quality. Suddenly from downstairs you hear footsteps approaching the stairs...
Colin Browne
 player, 104 posts
Sun 27 Jul 2014
at 17:02
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin made no effort to continue listening to the conversation. Instead, he made his was to the stair and took as much cover as he could. He knew that he was not in the best position to hide in but he needed to find out how many possible enemies there were in the house. So far he was convinced of a demon and its companion, but the noise at the stairs I dictated a possible third beasty to be put down. Colin was no stranger to danger, but he at least liked to know the odds against him.

19:56, Today: Colin Browne rolled 16 using 1d20+12. Hide.

Artemis
 GM, 468 posts
Mon 28 Jul 2014
at 12:49
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
As you hide the footsteps near. In spite of your best attempts, they do see you. Fortunately you are pleased to see it is a familiar face. What part of meet at four o'clock don't you understand man? It is Ian, looking irritated. He has his weapon drawn and looks to be heavily armed. If I hadn't had my connections lead here, and if that little girl hadn't been so trusting of me, you would be in a bad way my friend. Now, any idea of how many? His temper fades as he sets his mind to the task at hand. That girl said somethin about children being kept here. Any idea where they are?
Colin Browne
 player, 105 posts
Fri 1 Aug 2014
at 18:29
Re: The lone hunter- (Colin's thread)
Colin gave a maniacal smile as Ian expressed his displeasure. " Would you have waited on me if you knew kids were here?", he asked in a rhetorical manner. His knife had disappeared and it would seem that the Irishman was unarmed at the moment. Ian likely knew better, Colin mused to himself. He looked down the stairs and then relayed the information he had previously gathered by eavesdropping by the door. He have quick glances around and then placed a hand on Ian's shoulder. " Find the kids, I'll cause enough of a distraction to keep them occupied up here. No child need suffer longer than necessary," he said in hushed tones. His face had gone stark and serious. Lives were at stake and if he could save even one child, he would have it no other way.